Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped up.
Speaker 2: News, need advice?
Speaker 1: Who you don't have? Come run in just as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help Come.
Speaker 2: Dix is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: No Tom Martine, Hello, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. This is, as I say every day, the only show that it's kind of anywhere in the universe.
Speaker 5: We invented it.
Speaker 4: It's been the longest running radio show in history with well, not in history, I'm sorry, the longest running radio show with the same hosts currently on the air. Not in history. There have been shows running longer. And by the way, welcome. We love having you. We want you to call with problems that tick you off and things that make you tick everyday life. I'm bringing in the studio now for those streaming you'll see a bunch of ugly faces.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 4: We have our co host Mark and I don't really like the word code it denotes well, I want to say sub co host subcome subco and then sub sub and then and then sub subco would be John Fuller. Oh no god, I don't want to And then we have our guest who elevates, who gets elevated to the top, and that is Brook and she is with red rocks, roof and solar.
Speaker 7: So we have a full house there, you staff, everyone, Doc, you skipped over Sus. You skipped over Kelly, you skipped over.
Speaker 5: Sh I don't see Sus.
Speaker 4: I don't see Sus in the studio, but I see I see Deputy Doc, and hey Sus and hey Kelly.
Speaker 5: And then we have on the board is it dragon?
Speaker 4: Because I didn't hear I haven't heard Shannon's loud mouth, So what do you say? We uh, we go to the phones and see what's on your mind, and go to the news and see what's on everybody's mind. And they're there. There's a lot to talk about today, Okay, now people my gosh, and Mark of course says, I always read too much one side not the other.
Speaker 5: I'm looking all over there are there is an uproar.
Speaker 4: There's an uproar over the EPA saying massive deregulations of stuff, and we are going to unleash the power of America and we're not going to worry about climate change. Basically, if it burns, burn it, if it smells, smell it, and if it emits smoke, smoke it.
Speaker 5: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: They're saying that the regulations for too long have stifled the environment. Not the environment, but stifled economic growth. Then there are those on the other side decrying this, saying, oh my god, oh my god, everything that President Biden has done to protect our environment is being torn down.
Speaker 5: We are surely on our way to destruction.
Speaker 4: And I bring up this movie because David Sirota was once a talk show hosts here. He didn't last long. He had a liberal bend, and he was He's quite intelligent. He wrote that that play that I think he was nominated for an Academy Award. Don't look up about this meteor heading toward Earth, And the whole idea was it was all about climate change. In other words, if you ignore it, it's still coming and there's nothing you can do about it. I don't know if you've noticed this either, but especially Al Roker on the Today Show never gives a forecast ever without some dire message.
Speaker 5: If it's really.
Speaker 4: Extra warm global warming, if it's extra cold climate change, it's if there fires climate change, if there's floods climate change, Everything everything is climate change. I've said this before. You can really sum up everything. If you want to blame everything, you can blame everything on three things.
Speaker 5: What are they? Climate change? What's the other one? Come on? The R word?
Speaker 2: Trump?
Speaker 5: Racism and Trump. Those are the three.
Speaker 4: So if you want somebody to blame for anything or something to blame, it's it's first, climate, it's become. Well, they're all the same. There's not one second to third or fourth? All right, or excuse me, first, second, and third we have Trump, climate change, and racism, so any one of those can be blamed for anything. Now, on a serious note, I'm getting some questions about Tom.
Speaker 5: Does this mean the.
Speaker 4: Shift to EV's will be lightened up or do you think the move toward EV's is still going to be a deadline.
Speaker 5: What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 7: Well, EV push, I take climate out of it. I don't care about anything.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: They're quiet, right, They're faster.
Speaker 7: Than anything else. The battery powers better, and they drive themselves. So that's what I love. I love them. Now, Mark, they don't all drive themselves. Well, that's true, the Tesla testless.
Speaker 4: No, really, it's the only one that truly drives itself. And what do you think, John, are you ready for an EV No, sir, no, we just can't tell me why seriously, Well.
Speaker 2: They don't work for my needs. And you know what does that mean? Well, what does that mean? You don't try that much? Well, we do. We actually drive across country a couple of times a year, and so they're and you know, they're just not appropriate for that kind of an application. I mean, I you know, it just doesn't work. And in the in the environment okay that I keep those vehicles, they're not you know, it's not a very good environment. So it just doesn't work for us. We do have a hybrid, but it's not a plug in hybrid. It's it just kind of does its own thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't like hybrids. Then you have two systems to worry about.
Speaker 4: But anyway, when are they going to come out with the big motor homes and over the road trucks electric?
Speaker 5: I mean really, I.
Speaker 4: Mean market are you seen on the motor home front? Are there any EV motor homes?
Speaker 7: I can't imagine what the weight would come in. That would be just that'd be unbelievable. You take something like a prevay well hold one.
Speaker 5: You could do away with a series.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean come on, you're still gonna have fifty thousand pounds plus whatever that battery is. I mean you could be I mean you could be eighty ninety one hundred thousand pounds. I don't even know if you could go over some bridges.
Speaker 2: But they do have some electric semis out now. But I mean, I don't think the range is super high. And the deal with an RV is you know you you're looking for that range and you're not. I don't know, I don't see that technology being embraced, but you can't.
Speaker 5: Here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: For everything else, you're seeing electric come along, like boat motors and everything else. So it also depends on what.
Speaker 8: You know, like say, ranges, range is the main fact.
Speaker 7: Now, I mean you're not coming through doc.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, he yeah, that's a good thing. By the way, Hold on a second. I was just kidding. Here's what I see. These are the road trucks.
Speaker 5: If you if you picture these big, these big.
Speaker 4: Cabs, and then you have the trailer, you have the tractor, you have the trailer on the tractor. I would like to I envision under the hood or behind the sleeper, there.
Speaker 5: Is a pod that can be exchanged.
Speaker 4: In other words, they're universal battery pods that you disconnect one connect another, so there's no downtime. Although a lot of truckers that they want downtime, you know, and they're eating and stuff.
Speaker 5: They can do that.
Speaker 4: But wouldn't that be good for cars too, if there was ever a way to have pods that are interchanged as opposed to being built in, like like.
Speaker 7: If I don't know, see, those superchargers are going to be quicker than pulling in somewhere and swapping.
Speaker 2: A battery, right, really really yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I can get taken two hundred miles in about seven minutes. I mean that's pretty impressive. No, that really is impressive. That really really is impressive. And then I hear there's going to be highways eventually with induction. So when you're driving your charging or solar, Why why doesn't Tesla have roof solar? I got it would take, it would take That's a good question for Brook though, But I mean, really, how long would it take to how long is it take to charge a phone with a little solar.
Speaker 5: I'm not talking I'm not.
Speaker 4: Talking about a supercharger, but if it was constantly Brook, if a nice roofline was and the hoodline, let's just say Bill, it had some kind of some kind of photo will take covering the whole thing. If it's always outside, wouldn't it it would always be charging, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think that there's some really cool ways that you can pop solar into this conversation. There is actually somebody that patented a way to put solar panels on the roads.
Speaker 10: Instead of you asphalt roads, we would use solar panel.
Speaker 9: Roads and they would connect into it, and then that would help charge the cars as they went through and then also different charging stations a lot more frequently. So there's some really interesting ideas out there right now for how to put solar into charging cross country travels.
Speaker 7: Right now, if you took a solar panel, a big one or multiple ones, and strapped it to the top of a car, I bet it would take five days to even come close to charging a car.
Speaker 4: No, no, yeah, but Mark, but if you once you're charged, though, I'm talking about keeping it, like you know, not necessarily topped off, but extending range.
Speaker 5: For sure, it has to. It would have to.
Speaker 9: They're solar panels right now that you can put on your car that are foldable and they like flex to the top of your vehicle.
Speaker 10: If you would want to.
Speaker 4: Now, you know, and we're not talking about ugging things up, but some you know, someday, and I predict.
Speaker 5: This, and obviously it's not a big prediction.
Speaker 4: We're going to look around and we're not gonna believe that we've had all of this free solar energy bombarding the earth for thousands and thousands of years and never took advantage of it.
Speaker 5: We every single day.
Speaker 4: Do you know how much free energy is just falling upon us from the sun? I mean, think about it, if just harnessing it, you know, I mean, we have more than enough sunlight for almost anything we need to do, and when you throw storage into it, we really have the technology now to do it.
Speaker 5: It's just very expensive, you know.
Speaker 7: Anyway, on that note, just real quick, I looked it up and basically, let's not forget. I mean, Tesla owns an entire you know, solar division, So if anybody's going to throw it on their car, you would assume it's going to be Tesla because they own both companies, or it's all the same company. But it says they don't do it because the surface area of the car is way insufficient to generate any meaningful amount of energy to power the vehicle and the cost complexity of integrating such a system are simply not justified.
Speaker 4: All right, So Mark, going into this break, give me an update on your Denver Regen dot com.
Speaker 7: Well, an update on it. I mean it's great. I'm almost over thirty pounds in less than well what we're coming up on twelve weeks. I think I took my eleventh shot on Wednesday and I'm a little under two hundred for the first time in a long time. I started right around to twenty eight, a little blow two thirty, So it's incredible. The biggest part of it, Tom, is I simply, and I mean this, I simply don't think of food. I don't have that food noise, which is crazy. And with Denver Regens, you know it's under three hundred dollars a month. You can go to Denverregen dot com. Here, I'll turn it into a commercial because I'm so happy with it. Seriously, if you haven't checked it out. Under three hundred bucks a month, lose the weight, don't think of the food denverregion dot com.
Speaker 4: More, go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martinez here three oh three seven to one three talks seven one three A two five five. For those streaming, I apologize for the right side of the screen screen left. We got pretty screen right, we have ugly. We just split it right and Mark's right in the middle, so you got to figure out what he is anyway we have we let me give a full shot there of the studio. There, there you go, There you go, John full I'm glad you got dressed up for us today.
Speaker 5: And then uh Brooks got her classic blue.
Speaker 4: Uh that's the Red Rocks RS color. And then Sues of course always the fashion plate.
Speaker 5: So let's deputy doc.
Speaker 4: I won't even comments at least uh you're there and we love That's why I'm out of the Uh.
Speaker 5: No, you're not.
Speaker 4: You're kind of in it, but I can I can change that anyway. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. On a serious note, though, truly, if you have a problem, question or plant, give us a call. I do have some texts I'm going to get to on problems on three O three seven one three eight two five five. In fact one happens to be on personal jury John Fuller. They want to know if dash cams actually can hold up for court and how can people know that? You know, how do you make them valid or can you actually introduce them as evidence?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yep. They are a you know, a four K live color video that can be self authenticated by the people that are in the video as to what's going on and where and when it took place. And they are absolutely admissible. The coolest thing about them is when you have them, you almost never need to admit them because liability becomes a non issue.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the bottom line is, you got you got evidence.
Speaker 5: Now that evidence could be damning.
Speaker 4: As well, obviously, right, I mean, you know it's not always not your fault, but have people been putting other kinds of cams? Somebody asked they were sideswiped one time, and they said that their cam wouldn't have shown anything. Are there such things? I don't even know? I mean, like, I know your Tesla Mark probably Mark. Your tesla probably has like all kinds of h Yeah, it's got side cams and like, if you're in an accident, Mark, you don't need to buy separate cameras.
Speaker 5: Your car would have everything recorded.
Speaker 2: Is that right back?
Speaker 7: It'll go back ten seconds from the incident, So if somebody hit me, it would go back ten seconds before they hit me.
Speaker 2: And can you download that? Yeah? You can? Okay? Yeah, Also, so would.
Speaker 4: You have to though, would you have to save that since it's overwritten every ten seconds?
Speaker 7: No, it's overwritten every thirty days. The ones that are saved an event an event is saved for thirty days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And most dash cams tom they detect a crash and they they already saved that footage. They like they put a protective code on it or something, and it won't delete that footage when it happens. To answer your question, though, there's three types of cameras that you can get in a dash cam forward looking, rear looking, and inside the passenger compartment looking, and not many people really want that, but I can tell you in a side impact crash or you know, something along those lines, seeing what happened to the occupants can be very valuable in explaining the type of injuries they got and what really happened to them as a result of the accident.
Speaker 4: You know, I was driving behind someone the other day and they were swerving so much I thought they were drunk.
Speaker 5: Honest to god, I got afraid.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I should drop back or just try to get ahead of them and around them. So I decided to pull up alongside and just go in front so I could get away from them because they were lagging. And as I looked over, it was simply some young woman texting. Yep, and she was driving like a drunk person. I mean, I'm serious when I say this. I have stopped doing that nonsense and all that crap, But I can't believe there are people that text while they're driving, and they do it no matter what they say, no matter what you tell them, they do it. And there's got to be there should be some kind of technology available to prevent texting. It should literally, absolutely positively, your phone should lock down, So when you're driving you can't text. You can call maybe, but don't you agree?
Speaker 5: I mean this it seems to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But why not outlaw putting makeup on them? I mean, why not outlaw?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 7: Okay, I mean, of course, seriously, why a nanny state like that? I think that's ridiculous. I have stopped putting makeup on in the car. I can tell by looking at you, you know so.
Speaker 4: But seriously, Mark, I'm talking about technology with a car. I'm not talking I'm talking about phones, like for example, when they myke car.
Speaker 7: Knows if I am holding my phone knows and it'll turn off auto pilot if I'm holding my phone or not paying attention, So my car does it.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it's I would like a phone. I would like phones where you cannot text. You absolutely cannot text when in motion. It's that simple. People get killed and and John, is there a way when you when one of your clients is hit like this person is bound to hit someone from from behind, I'm sure because she was slamming on her brakes every five seconds whenever somebody ahead of her slowed down because she that lag time. Is there a way can you as evidence. Can you literally ask, like like about texting? Can you go into a phone as part of your evidentiary search?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can, and we get subpoena that you know. But but here's the thing, like, really, what are you going to get in those phone records? You're going to get the precise second that a text was sent. That doesn't mean that the person didn't spend the previous you know, two minutes reading a text and then deciding what they were going to say and then fumbling through typing it and misspelling something.
Speaker 12: Now that they're texting, Yeah, but what if you can show they're texting while they're I'm just talking about in general, you can show the habit of texting right up to the moment of impact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can show that. I mean it doesn't All that I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make it.
Speaker 7: How does that make it the fact they were texting the fault of the accident? I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: That's the That's the difficult leap to make. No, Tom, nobody disputes it. It's distracting and it's not a good thing. Nobody's disputing that. But how do you take the instance that a text was received at four forty three, and make that the cause of the accident. You know, you don't know that the person picked up their phone, looked at it, read it. Somebody in the passenger compartment.
Speaker 7: That I mean, answer is my text when I'm driving. I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: So it's very difficult to take that momentary comment about it could have been somebody.
Speaker 5: It could have been somebody in the car if there was someone.
Speaker 4: But I just think that, you know, I know of a case very personally. Okay, Now, this woman, two little kids, her husband's out jogging, he come, he never comes home.
Speaker 5: He's dead.
Speaker 4: He was hit by and they established that the person was texting, okay, and vehicular manslaughter.
Speaker 5: They were prosecuted.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: But she went on a campaign on a campaign, and I don't know what happened to that campaign about texting and driving, And it's just it's so needless. And I don't care what anyone says. You cannot pay attention. You cannot. I used to do. I used to try to look down and text a word or two. I swear I did. And I can't tell you how many times I regretted it because I came so close and I decided a long time ago I would never text while driving.
Speaker 5: Never.
Speaker 4: Now, if I really have to get messages out and stuff and I don't want to call, I'll pull over. But when you see people you don't know if they're drunk or they're texting. That's how bad it is. And I want to know from people. I want them to admit if they do it, and why they do it. There's nothing that important, and why how about GPS data?
Speaker 7: So like so John, So we understand the video and we understand what we're talking about now the text. But let's say someone hits you and you think they're drunk and you want to bring that is part of it, you know, for court. Can you actually get data from say, you know, like Hondi's got blue lay Can, Chevy has whatever Chevy calls it, and they know the manufacturer knows everywhere that car went. My god, Tesla knows every single place I've ever been. Can you get that data to show hey, he was out bar hopping right before this or no?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you can. You can get all those downloads. I mean, they're not easy and you need experts and it's very expensive. So it's going to take a particular case to justify that expense. You wouldn't do it on just the average little rear end accident or something. But you can technically do that. You know, there are apps out there that we've used, Like there are parental control apps that parents can can put on that give you great data. We mean those great data. Yeah. Speed how you know how many times they exceeded the speed quick where they went quick breaking, quick acceleration, I mean all that kind of stuff, And that is tremendously valuable when you can put your hands on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, I got to take a break.
Speaker 5: I have some texts for Brook.
Speaker 4: One is specifically about commercial solar systems. What is considered a commercial operation. They're interested in what's called a reap grand And again I want to clarify when can the government help pay for commercial systems? What is the commercial system? All of that coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. And while we're talking about environmentally good stuff waterpros dot net. The best water system is the lowest price thirty thirty nine ninety five. You will get a complete system for forever chemicals. You'll have the best drinking water, reverse osmosis and water softening all from Waterpros dot net three zero three eight six two five five five four under four grand plumbers can't touch it. They can't touch it for under fifteen grand. That's the truth. Waterpros dot net. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one. Help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martine here, so uh Brooke is with us From red Rocks RS, Red Rocks roof and Solar. We talk a lot about these regrants and getting commercial operations paid for one hundred percent, where there are actually examples of people when they put the they put the system in, they get paid for it, so they didn't pay for that. Then they charge their tenants a reasonable electric fee and they make money there and they sell back to the grid and make money there. And brook A White they are actually making a profit.
Speaker 5: On a pro solar system, Yes they are. So my question, how do you get in on this, on this graft?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, after all these I'm just kidding too, after all the cuts, these are these grants still available as of now.
Speaker 4: And I was just kidding around. I was just kidding around. It's totally legit. Tell me about the REAP grant and what it does.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the REAP grant last application is actually this month, so it's too late to get in on it now.
Speaker 10: But the state of Colorado has its own grid.
Speaker 4: They're doing aspiring completely. Is REAP expiring completely.
Speaker 9: They're not sure if they're going to bring it back or not. As Mark said, with a lot of stuff that's going on right now, things are up in the air.
Speaker 10: But this application deadline is still safe.
Speaker 5: Okay, So when's the deadline.
Speaker 9: It's March thirty first, So if I haven't been working with you already, it's too late to start the process. But the difference between like commercial versus non commercial or any of those things, we can go through, or we can talk about the micro grid grant that the state of Colorado has.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk about what the GREEP grant did. Do the REP grant tell me, tell me what it did for people.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what is considered commercial is if the uh there was a business in LLC something that had an ei N that was on the contract for the project, and that the project itself was either built on a business or built on a detached structure of a home or a farm. And so with those, those are the qualifications in order to do it.
Speaker 10: And then the REAP grant would.
Speaker 4: So Brooke, Brooke, not not to interrupt, but like my house here, I use for business and I have this whole studio and I have an LLC and and could I literally do it at a residential house that has commercial activity?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you definitely could. The only issue is is that you would.
Speaker 9: Need a detached garage to put the panels on, because they cannot go on a house.
Speaker 2: I see, Yep, that's interesting, Okay, so keep going.
Speaker 4: What happens then when you qualify like a farmer, an egg farmer, or maybe a greenhouse, somebody who has plants or they're you know, they have a commercial operation, they what do they do?
Speaker 5: They get it? Actually, the system paid for.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So between the tax credits and depreciation and the reimbursement from the REP grant, it's one hundred and eight percent of the project. So if the project was one hundred thousand, they get paid eight grant to do the project. Plus they get either they're electric bill paid for or they are charging their tenants, so they're making income off of it. So yep, one of the way, they're either saving money or they're making money, depending on their specific scenario and also their tax library.
Speaker 5: I wonder of that. I wonder if they'll ever bring it back.
Speaker 10: What do you think I would guess that.
Speaker 9: I mean, the repe grant's been around forever, it's been around for thirty years. It's just got a lot more funding that happens during the an administration. So my guess is, whoever the next administrator is may put funds back into it, or the Trump administration may do so. In twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven. You know, it's definitely not a dead program since it's been along been around so long. I just think that there's so many changes going on right now that it's not the major folks.
Speaker 4: Okay, there was another program you mentioned now and yeah, well Colorado one with Colorado.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the state of Colorado has a grant for microgrids and it's actually a little bit cooler than the repe grant and the fact that it doesn't have a million dollar cap.
Speaker 10: Its cap is two point five million.
Speaker 9: So there's some different requirements that go into it, but essentially, as long as you're showing that you're putting together a micro grid in an area of need, you're eligible to get funded for this project.
Speaker 10: And it's really cool.
Speaker 4: Okay, explain what a micro grid would be like? Would a developer do that in a subdivision or would it can an individual do it?
Speaker 5: What is a micro grid?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so it's a pretty loose definition from the State of Colorado. So a microgrid even was one of their projects that they funded was just powering a library. So the library had a solar system and had a battery so that if power went down, the community could go there as.
Speaker 10: Like a safe haven, if you will.
Speaker 9: And so it could be as small as just one building to as big as powering a town.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: Going up to two and a half million as a match means that you could do a five million.
Speaker 10: Dollar project on this.
Speaker 9: That's a pretty big project, you know, but you could go as small as, like I said, just powering a building too.
Speaker 4: And does it pay a part of it or does it pay for all of it?
Speaker 10: It matches what you do.
Speaker 9: So if you have a project, okay, if you have a project that produces four bago hours of power annually, they will do one hundred percent match, which means it's fifty percent of the project. If you have something less than that, then they do a thirty percent match, which ends being about twenty five percent of the products.
Speaker 4: Okay, gotcha. Okay, that makes sense. So that's available only to commercial operations that have a community benefit.
Speaker 9: Yes, you would have to tie into a community benefit, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Okay, So schools could do that, well.
Speaker 10: Anybody could. I mean schools can do that, a farm can do that, anybody.
Speaker 9: They can just say that these are the things that we're able to power. Because if you build a community and a farm and you and three other farmers have access to this power, then you're building a community that's going to have access to things if the grid goes down and keep things operating at a higher level. So your basis of community is a little bit laxed on this project.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want to ask this, and I don't mean this as a joke. I mean this sincerely. A neighborhood tavern says, Hey, a lot of people gather here and i'd like to have if power goes down, this solar backup. Would that be? Could that be considered a community project? And I mean that a restaurant or tavern.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think as long as the restaurant or tavern can say, you know, once a month we hold you know, an educational thing, or once a month we do something for political purposes or educational they have trivia. Yeah, I mean you can't just say, hey, we're a bar and we want to hang out and make sure that we can watch the Broncos game. Right, There's got to be you know, some sort of I got the benefit to.
Speaker 4: It, No, I get what you're saying. Yeah, And I'm not always looking for the for the for the game in it. I'm just wondering, you know, how far they go because I you know, let's face that a lot of these programs are taken advantage of.
Speaker 5: But Brooke, I got to take a break.
Speaker 4: But real quick, do you find people knowing about these benefits and using them or is this something you have to educate people about.
Speaker 10: Oh, I always have to educate folks on how.
Speaker 4: Do you get the word out about it? I mean really about like, hey, did you know you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: There might be people out there right now that want us a system but didn't know they could do it this way. So I mean, what does the state do to promote this kind of stuff?
Speaker 9: Honestly, the state doesn't have a whole lot of ways to promote these kind of items. You can just look on Google or look on different websites, or be added to their email list to see if there's any updates. But really it's the developers or the solar installers that are always looking for this because that's how.
Speaker 10: We make our money.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 10: If we can make it a cheaper product for you to buy, it's easier for us to sell it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Brooke.
Speaker 4: Okay, and so that's the Red Rocks Roof and Solar redrocksrs dot Com. Okay, we're going to take your break. I want to tell you first about one clear Choice garage doors. I love these people, I'm serious, man, They're so wonderful. Twenty four to seven service. So if you're stuck your door won't close and you got to your house, they come out. They also can do general inspections. If you're buying a house, they can tune up and spruce up your door, any part of your door, broken springs. They're out there and all of their prices are on their website. One clear choice doors dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three, seven, seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. We don want three talks everyone three A two five five. We've been talking a number of things. Let's go to the phones right now and we have Robbie. Hey, Robbie, what do you need to know about?
Speaker 13: Hey?
Speaker 14: I was calling about collecting on a judgment from a former employer.
Speaker 5: Okay, did you get an actual judgment?
Speaker 14: Yes, Yeah, we went filed a claim to the labor Department.
Speaker 15: They did all their.
Speaker 14: Yes stuff, and then they filed the judgment with the Denver District Court in January.
Speaker 5: And how much is the judgment for?
Speaker 14: Twelve eight and forty eight dollars?
Speaker 5: Is it in an what is what does it stem from?
Speaker 13: What's that? What is it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Two questions? Mark, mark yours first? Go ahead? Yeah.
Speaker 7: Is it in the individual's name, the owner's name or is it in the company name.
Speaker 14: It's got both, it's got the company name and the end of it the owner.
Speaker 5: Actually, what what does this step?
Speaker 14: What's what does it stem from?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How'd you get a judgment non payment of wages or what? Yes?
Speaker 14: Yes, he closed the business and he didn't pay us the for like a month's worth of payment for page.
Speaker 4: Did anyone did anyone else get judgments?
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a I know of.
Speaker 14: Two other two other employees that are in the same process that I'm in.
Speaker 4: They have judgments and they're going after them.
Speaker 14: Yes, yes, we're trying. Okay, we're just sure what to do.
Speaker 4: The reason I ask is because if you have a sizeable judgment like you do, and especially multiple ones, you guys could go in as a joinder. You could go into one one collection attorney and he could do it as a group. That's one, and it's better for that because then they can get a bigger commission at the end, collecting three sizeable judgments. That's one way to do it. However, John Fuller as an attorney. I'm just talking to John here. He knows a lot about the law.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 4: I mean, if people don't have money, I mean, now you you can't. I believe this is one of the kinds of judgments you can't bankrupt out of because it's wages.
Speaker 5: John, do you does that ring true to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think it might be in that category.
Speaker 4: Right, because if somebody owes you wages and taxes, and there's certain other things fraud you can't bankrupt out of.
Speaker 2: I mean you say, yeah, I mean there are avenues that this caller can go down to try to collect and stuff. But I mean, you can't get blood out of a turnip, and so maybe you're going to be looking at trying to you know, follow security interest in Garnish tax return money and stuff like that. I mean, it's very difficult.
Speaker 4: But here's what I'd like to do, Robbie, hang on, We're gonna try to get one of our collections attorneys on. Okay go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance Go but he's find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped up news. You needed that so you don't have come run anxious. As fast as.
Speaker 3: We can, Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 16: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine, Hey.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, Tom Martina here, and we are solving problems, answering questions, taking complaints, and as you know, we love doing that, and we love trying to make your life easier and informing you and talking about issues of the data affect our hearts and pocketbook.
Speaker 5: And our everyday life.
Speaker 4: And it's kind of like a Seinfeld show is a show about nothing but really a show about everything it really is. And we don't like to be pigeonholed. So I'm going to bring in the studio. Now we got those streaming. Can see all the pretty faces in the studio and Mark two. Okay, so welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk. Now. You see the other number up there on the screen if you're watching, it's three oh three Martino. That can be called twenty four to seven three oh three six two seven, eight four sixty six. So Robbie called and said I was working somewhere and didn't get paid.
Speaker 5: Now, Robbie, did this place go out of business?
Speaker 4: Yes, it did, Okay, so they he went out of business and had owed you money at the time he went out of business.
Speaker 14: Yes, yeh. He hadn't paid us for like the month of January and then he closed.
Speaker 4: And okay now, and so you in about two you and two other employees.
Speaker 14: Two that I know of, yes, okay, Well, and.
Speaker 5: You know and you know that they have judgments as well as you.
Speaker 14: Right, yes they do.
Speaker 4: And and so the judgments are about twelve grand each.
Speaker 14: Theirs are quite a bit more. I think theirs are closer to thirty thousand, So.
Speaker 4: You could be looking at almost one hundred grand in judgments.
Speaker 14: Right, possibly, yeah, yeah, probably somewhere about eighty between eighty and one hundred.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now what kind of business was this, Robbie.
Speaker 14: It was a custom furniture design company.
Speaker 5: And when did it go out of business?
Speaker 14: It went out of business in February twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, now, yeah, so it is the judgment? How is the judgment issued? On the line? Does it say the store and so and so proprietor or how is it written this judgment?
Speaker 14: Yes, this is two. It has the name of the company and then below that it has the name of the owner.
Speaker 4: But does it is it the name of the owner as the owner or as an individual?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 14: I think an individual?
Speaker 4: Well, in any case, I'm Frank Ball. Frank Ball is a collection attorney extraordinary and he does a lot of big corporate collections. He knows what he's doing, he's fair, he's honest. He's also very aggressive and knows what he's doing. We love talking to him about all things collection and Frank serves as an expert. Now to be to be Frank, he doesn't take a lot of to be Frank, that's no pun Intendo. But he doesn't take a lot of individual he doesn't take a lot of individual consumer cases. But he certainly can help us get a direction. So Frank, first of all, I want to I want to ask Frank something, Frank that expression, even though some judgments can't be bankrupted out of you can't take blood from a turn up, I mean, or blood from a stone.
Speaker 2: So if money.
Speaker 4: Isn't there, they don't put a guy in jail. What happens if money just isn't there.
Speaker 13: Well, it's not there, can't collect it. It really depends given her situation. If she has sounds like she has a judgment against the company. Okay, in terms of the judgment against the company, if they if it's Joe's custom furniture design and then a year later they open up Sally's Custom furniture design and it's the same or similar outfit, you can sue Sally's and say you really used to be Joe's and I want money from you. So you have to go in and you'd have to pierce the corporate veil. That's that's well, what.
Speaker 4: If what if she says, his name is on the judgment.
Speaker 5: Frank, She says, his name is on the judgment.
Speaker 13: Well, great, minds think alike. That's what I was going to talk about next. If he is really individually liable, then you can go after him individually. I mean, as long as he lives in the state of Colorado. You can find out where he works, you can garnish his pay you can and find out his information, you can levy his bank you can do all sorts of things.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So the only way to know if it's if it's issued to both him personally and the corp. See, it could just be the name of the corporation, Comma so and so owner. You see what I'm saying. So I don't know if it isn't his name individually, you're saying it is Robbie. Why do you think it is? Did the judge say that?
Speaker 13: Well, just the.
Speaker 14: Questions that the labor Department was asking, like was he financially making all the financial decisions?
Speaker 10: Was he paying?
Speaker 14: Like he would sign the paychecks, he would tell.
Speaker 13: Us when we get a paid, let me jump in, and I would have both people's names. It would have Joe's custom furniture design and it would have Joe Smith. Yes, we both then typically it would be both. I would guess in that scenario.
Speaker 7: Okay, so Frank Frank, what would be what should be her first stip hold? On real quick though, on just a total side note, why wouldn't he have argued? Maybe he never showed up to court or never participated in any of this labor stuff, But why wouldn't you have argued the company the corporation went out? Why am I held personally liable for this? I guess I'm missing that part. So if you did get the judgment and someone did file, you know, a Form twenty nine and actually was going after a bank account or something, he would have that period of time to actually argue, wouldn't he that that's the corporation? I don't personally own this.
Speaker 13: I think the answer to that question it depends is it depends on the basis of the money owed. If it was way just sometimes they will hold both the individual and the business liable. If it was something else, maybe they won't. But maybe in this particular case they held both responsible.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what is her first step?
Speaker 13: Well, you have to find out where his accets are, where he is do you know anything about him since you're waiting.
Speaker 14: I know he I know he was living here in Denver. I don't know if he still is. I heard he sold his house, so I don't know. I don't really know where.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the quickest way to find out is tell me his name. It's public record. It's you're not doing anything, Uh slanderous?
Speaker 5: What what is his name?
Speaker 14: His name is James Hickson. Hickson, Hickson, h I X s O n okay James.
Speaker 5: And then go ahead.
Speaker 14: The company it's called black Towne Design Company.
Speaker 13: Oh, we know who the black colt was?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 7: Black town?
Speaker 2: Yeah, black like a dog.
Speaker 13: We know who that black cone is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: Now it's Hickson. So Hickson. Now, now I want to ask you something. This is what was Hickson just trying to make it and he couldn't or do you think there was something more dastardly going on?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 14: I think he probably just things were falling apart and he couldn't make it. But you know he didn't. He didn't tell us a lot us keep coming into work, I think knowing he was going to be closing.
Speaker 2: And so, yeah.
Speaker 14: I know there's some other things like I'm not sure he was collecting taxes. I don't know if he paid our taxes. I'm not really sure what was happening.
Speaker 5: What do you mean collecting taxes? What do you mean collecting taxes?
Speaker 14: He took it out of our p checks, but we I don't know what if he paid it. We never got a W two.
Speaker 4: By the way, Robbie, I will tell you this. I would tell you this. Mark and I handled cases like this, and we we were responsible for getting a guy sent to prison for that.
Speaker 5: They don't, they don't not. They do not screw around with that.
Speaker 4: When those when those funds are taken, it's called in trust.
Speaker 5: They're taken from.
Speaker 4: An employee and and their intrust and should be sent in their name to the I R S.
Speaker 5: And when they are not that I R S. Mark, do they come down on them or what?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they come down on him big time, But they're not going to come down on her from that.
Speaker 2: Here's what's curios on her hold on guys.
Speaker 7: This guy filed bankruptcy in five to four of twenty one, and that's that that black hound. I just don't know how he's going to be I just don't understand how he marked judgment Martin Pay, I just don't.
Speaker 4: First of all, First of all, they got the judgment in twenty four post bankruptcy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it. So I want to.
Speaker 4: Ask Frank Ball, Frank, there are certain kinds of debts you can't bankrupt on. One is fraud. What about employee wages? Is that something you can bankrupt out of if? I don't even think he's eligible for bankruptcy. Again, maybe he is, but can you bankrupt out of it?
Speaker 13: Okay, Well, let me just talk to the first thing you said, fraud. I actually try a fraud case. It's very hard to prove fraud in a bankruptcy case because you have to prove intent, and it's very hard to prove intent in a bankruptcy case. So and all the bankruptcy judges they just want to get rid of it, and so they don't necessarily want to add it to the burden of the people who are trying to get out of their depths. So that's the first thing. In terms of other issues that you can not Well, there's restitution, and there's child support, there's maintenance. All those things you can't discharge in a bankruptcy.
Speaker 5: What about employees? But what about wages.
Speaker 13: I don't know the answer to that, because you'd have to you'd have to do file the bankruptcy in the in the business name. And given what you just said, I would be very surprised since they're holding an in trust that they can file a bankruptcy out from the wages themselves or the same way, in the same way it would be for the taxes. That'd be like saying, you don't have to pay your payroll taxes, We're going to just bankrupt them out. I don't think the government would allow you to do that.
Speaker 10: I'm unsure about them.
Speaker 4: No, they send they send you to prison. That is one thing. Do you know what they actually do. They actually do not ding the employees. They do not they go after the employer, which is a good thing because but now, of course the I r S is down a few men and women. But you might want to put in a complaint with the I R S as well. Or you can actually search your payroll account. Did you know that you you actually, Robbie can gain access to your work history and your withholdings online.
Speaker 5: So you ought to do that and.
Speaker 4: See if there were taxes held for you.
Speaker 5: You never got a w two how did you file taxes.
Speaker 14: I had to calculate it all myself and kind of estimate what I think he took out, and then I filled out the form that the IRS as you fill out when you don't get a W two, Because like, if my check was one thousand and he paid me, you know, eight hundred, I knew he kept two hundred. So I estimated what went to state what went to federal based on.
Speaker 4: You never got a a you never got a wage statement, you just got a check.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he hand wrote us checks a lot of times. They bounced. We never got paced us. We didn't. We didn't get W two for half a year. Yeah, it was a mess.
Speaker 5: Frank.
Speaker 4: If they came to you with these sizeable judgments, is this something you take a look at for collection or not.
Speaker 13: If a dentist came to me with one hundred cases that were five thousand dollars each, I'd take it. But in terms of individual case, I don't have an ability to do that. But there's lots of others in town that would take that because of the high dollar amount.
Speaker 4: I'm more okay, no, I know that, Frank, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: Really why guy is so I don't think anybody's going to touch it unless if you know, you know at least where the guy's at and possibly some assets.
Speaker 2: Right now, they're just working.
Speaker 7: To find a ghost.
Speaker 4: Just find out where he is, and then you could start with some interrogatories and some asset finding tools, and there are tricks you can do to get him to get his ass in trouble if he doesn't answer him. So one thing at a time, Robbie, We're gonna mark this pending, but we can't go hunting for you, So why.
Speaker 2: Don't you do this?
Speaker 5: Find out where he is?
Speaker 4: Any way you can like beat the bushes, ask people who know people who know people. And let me put his name out again.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 14: James Hickson?
Speaker 7: James anybody knows James pick goingle.
Speaker 2: You can find all about him in the company she's talking about.
Speaker 5: Okay, James Hickson.
Speaker 4: And then also if you could drop us a line help at trouble. Here's the help at troubleshooter dot com. Is our email to our general help help at troubleshooter dot com. And you can also, uh, you can and and and so when you find out stuff, call us back. I'll mark this case as pending. And then We'll help you any way we can, but we can't go hunting for this guy. Try to do it yourself, Frank Ball, we appreciate you always three oh three six two nine, seven thousand, corporate collections and more. And he's an expert, so we appreciate him. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 10: Here comes.
Speaker 4: Hi, Tom Martine here at three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five problems, questions, complaints, Well, okay, let's move on, and we have a text about solar here. What's better? They want to know they're in the country. Is it better to have a generator or battery backup? You know, is it either or or or? How do you handle those? Brooke and Brook is with is with red rocks, roof and solar?
Speaker 9: Go ahead, Broke, Yeah, So there's benefits to batteries and generators or even doing a combination of the two. It's really about what they're looking to have backup, backed up. The biggest benefit.
Speaker 10: Of a battery over a generator is just the tax credits that you get back.
Speaker 9: So right now, the state of Colorado does a ten percent plus the federal government of thirty. So if the generator the battery costs the same amount, let's say ten grand, to make it easy, the battery actually only costs you six instead of the full ten.
Speaker 10: So that's the biggest benefit.
Speaker 4: Okay, So sure you won't get why don't they give a credit on a generator.
Speaker 10: They'll do a.
Speaker 9: Credit on a generator if you do it as part of a solar project.
Speaker 10: That's your caveat.
Speaker 5: Okay, is it?
Speaker 4: And so you get a normal tax credit to the total right.
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So if like if you added the generator to a solar project, you would still get the thirty percent.
Speaker 4: Right right of the total project exactly. Okay, So if you had your own place and it wasn't a matter of tax credits or cost, what do you like better?
Speaker 5: Generator or battery?
Speaker 9: Well, I like a battery more because you're not having to pay for your fuel source.
Speaker 10: You're always gonna have to pay for your fuel source. But the generator.
Speaker 4: Okay, but are either? But couldn't a generator last longer?
Speaker 9: Technically it just kind of depends on again, what you're looking for and what you're backing up, because if the sun rises every day, then your battery backup can continue to run and definitely so in that instance, the battery would outpower the generator depending.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: Three h three seven one three top three oh three seven one three eight two five five. This one's for John Fuller. John, how important is it to take photos with your uh or take pics with your phone? Your smartphone? If you have any questions? I mean that they did not do it, and they could have done it, would it doesn't make a big difference.
Speaker 5: How does it help? What do you suggest?
Speaker 4: I suggest they take a list of picture of the car, the damage and the license plates.
Speaker 2: Right, so Tom, the you know these are the type of questions that are that can only be answered by saying, well, how honest is the person that ran into you? Are they going to call their insurance company and say it was one hundred percent my fault, I screwed up. Whatever is wrong with this person. I want you to pay for it because I did a bad thing and I'm completely negligent in the operation of my vehicle. If you get hit by that guy, you don't need to bother taking pictures. But if you're not that guy, or if you're not not sure that it's that guy, then the photographs are going to be the only thing that really can substantiate what happened and where the cars were, and what the intersection looked like, and what the condition of the roadway was, and who the other driver was, because all of those things have become an issue in my cases, even the identity of the driver. When a person says, you know, to their insurance company, I was not driving that day, and we know darn well that they were, it would really be lovely to say, well, you know what, we happen to have a photograph of the driver in boom. That issue is completely resolved at that moment and we move on. With with bigger you know better things.
Speaker 4: Okay, John Fuller is our one of our guests, say our co host sub co host. Of course, I'm just kidding, But anyway, you can reach him when he's not here at three h three five nine seven five hundred.
Speaker 5: So listen, Frank to run the real estate man.
Speaker 4: Want you to know that before you list your house or even think about listing, if you just want to know what your house will sell for, He'll provide that service free of charge, with no obligation. And Frank really means it. He's a great guy, and he takes into consideration all of the market conditions, supply and demand, comparables to your house and neighborhood, interest rates, whatever you need to evaluate what your house will sell, how you'll net it, what you'll net what you can even buy three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. That's nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Or just remember Frank Duran the real estateman dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Max Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talks seven one three A two five five eight eight eight Heating dot com high efficiency units.
Speaker 5: The best price is guaranteed.
Speaker 4: So you want to save money every single month, consider high efficiency if you have an older system eight eight eight Heating dot Com three oh three seven seven zero two seven seven six all right, So getting back to a solar Brooks, somebody said that they like having both batteries and a small generator.
Speaker 5: What do you think about that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I love a battery generator combination. I actually promote those, and yes's usually what I work with folks that are really looking for extended grid offline needs. Absolutely, Franklin is the best battery for a battery generator combination.
Speaker 5: Why is that?
Speaker 10: Because they are set.
Speaker 9: Up automatically to have a battery connect directly into the generator.
Speaker 10: Instead of having to go through a subpanel to connect it.
Speaker 9: Plus they also have an ability for you to go into the battery itself and see which loads are using how much power, and to reduce it. So it's a really, really great battery.
Speaker 4: Someone is considering relocating, they're selling their house.
Speaker 5: They want to know.
Speaker 4: Is it better to take the system with them it's a five year old system or just buy a new one.
Speaker 9: No, definitely buy a new one because the equity that you can gain with the system for the sale is part one why and then part two why is because you still get your tax credits and benefits if you add sold to the second one if you just move.
Speaker 4: Wait, so if you buy, if you buy a new system, let's say every other year, you can get a tax credit every other year for it every time time you buy one.
Speaker 5: Or is there a limit.
Speaker 9: You could install one hundred solar systems in the same year and get all the tax credits.
Speaker 10: There's no limit to it as long as it's like show.
Speaker 4: So if you move one though, but when they move one, they don't get a tax credit. So you're right, you sell it with the house and then you get a new one and new new tax credit yep, plus you have the latest equipment.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then there's websites or certifications to go through to add the equity for the solar system to verify it.
Speaker 10: So make sure that they do.
Speaker 9: That with their real charts to make sure that they're getting the equity value for the system that they're selling.
Speaker 4: John Fuller, this is an odd one somebody I even hate saying because I love horses. Somebody hit a horse, they were injured in their car. They want to know if the horse owner has responsible Does the horse owner have responsibility to them? Can they sue the horse owner because the horse got out?
Speaker 2: Or were you driving around in the horse pasture or did the horse get out?
Speaker 5: No, the horse got out. Apparently they said it was on the road.
Speaker 4: They if they came around a curve they hit the horse, They went into a ditch and rolled, they got hurt.
Speaker 5: You know, is this the.
Speaker 2: Generally speaking Tom? In Colorado it's a fence out state, which means you're not going to be able to maintain a claim against the horse owner. However, if the horse owner, you know, was responsible for the condition that let the horse out, you know, there can be some negligence there. I've seen successful actions, but they really require some egregious conduct on the part of the owner that caused that horse to be out in the in the roadway. So so whereas Colorado would you know generally say no, there's not a claim. If you let your horse out on the roadway because the grass looked nice and green and it seemed like a neat place to feed your horse for free, then you know, under that circumstance you probably could be held liable.
Speaker 5: So I remember speaking of that.
Speaker 4: And by the way, John Fuller, personal injury attorney, our expert and co host as well, uh three oh three five nine seven forty five hundred. When he's not with us, and and he can, he can take care of He will answer all of your initial calls that you asked to talk to him before you hire him, or you never have to hire him. That's what I like about him. So it's five nine seven forty five hundred. Now speaking of this, somebody this happened to me.
Speaker 5: So my pool cover.
Speaker 4: I was out in Franktown area back in the day and we had a pool and a cow got into the pool cover and destroyed it and we helped the cow out. But now we have a destroyed pool cover and I want to so I want I was pissed, right, and they actually told me. The owner said, well, we're really sorry about that. And he said, what do you mean you're sorry? You know you owe me a cover. He said, no, you should have had a fence up. And I said, what do you mean I should have a fence up? I mean, you know I had like a normal fence like this. This these ugly not ugly, but these white ones everybody what do they call them.
Speaker 5: The the PVC. He's just slats.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: They won't keep anything out of anywhere, but they're just pretty right. So he says, this is the first time I heard this. He says, it's a fence out. Say, if you want to keep a livestock out, you got to fence him out. I don't have to put a fence up to keep him in. And that was true, right John, that's correct.
Speaker 2: I mean it really is. It's crazy, but it's true. So when we.
Speaker 8: Had a pool, Tom, we had to put up a six foot iron fence with a gate that.
Speaker 7: Could be locked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you don't have to do that in a country where I was on a forty acre lot.
Speaker 5: They don't make you do that. I mean, but I understand.
Speaker 4: Maybe they do now, Maybe they do now.
Speaker 7: But speaking of that, John, though, I thought there were and laws in Colorado that protected equine and equine owners from that. In other words, even if a horse got out that you couldn't go after the owner.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that not correct? Or is that you?
Speaker 4: You know, what you're talking about equine liability. And what you're talking about is when when you have equine activities, mark, you can't hold people responsible for being injured.
Speaker 5: Now that doesn't mean that means.
Speaker 2: It doesn't when you can't mean help me out here means trail ride or anything and stuff like that. Dude, ranch, Yeah, dude ranch. And it really only covers simple neglige and so it doesn't cover gross right there is there is it's right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And and equine activities too, it's it's not a non equine activity. If your horse gets out into a picnic and kicks the hell out of somebody, that's not considered an equine activity.
Speaker 5: And and you know, but.
Speaker 7: Well if it was a rodeo and the horse got up into the stands and really hurt some people, right.
Speaker 4: That's right, that would be they would be a hard time collecting on anything equine activity related. That's horse shows, rodeos, that's even pony rides, dude ranches, and it includes even when.
Speaker 5: Horses are there for decoration.
Speaker 4: If you had an old Western town and a horse went on a rampage, I mean, it really is anything to do with equine. And the reason is is that at one time this state's economy, a lot of it was based on you know, the wild West and and horses, and they couldn't afford to have people being sued over their horse stuff, you know.
Speaker 5: And that's in the operation of a horse too.
Speaker 4: So if you're using a pack horse, or you're moving cattle and your car gets hurt or something, you know, that's an equine activity, even though you're not participating in it. There's a lot of immunity for or there used to be. I don't know how it is now. John would have to tell you, John.
Speaker 8: But there is there defined a difference between simple and growth segloge or is it subjective?
Speaker 2: No, it's not very subjective at all. You know, simple negligence is just good old negligence. Newer should have known made a mistake, you know, failure to act in a way that a reasonably prudent person would have acted. That's simple negligence. Gross negligence generally crosses over the line into intentionality and reckless conduct, and conduct that's almost certain to you know, to result in a certain outcome. That's that's bad. So in the case of you know, equine cases or stuff, you know, we we would get into the knowledge of the proclivity of a certain horse if you had one that always, you know, think about a trail riding operation. If you had a horse that every single time you took the stupid horse out it was barn sour and it would run fifty miles an hour back to the back to the barn when they would turn around. You wouldn't put a brand new, you know, first time horseback rider on that horse. That would that would conote a degree of intentionality and stuff that that would probably give rise to liability. You know, it's it's culpable knowledge. So now.
Speaker 4: I want to mention that we have a lot more to talk about. Our number is three oh three Martino twenty four seven, three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six, or you can call three oh three seven to one three talk when we're in the studio three oh three seven one three A two five five. Dan McKenzie does the state planning and wills and probate and avoiding probate. And he's a really good guy. He's live and local. He's very personalized. It's a family run law practice and you can get personal attention. He can do a simple will, he can do a trust. He does creative ways with to use LLCs to pass things through death. I mean he's very creative, very personalized. Eight three three co plans eight three three co plans. You'll like the way he does business. Mackenzie Law Dan McKenzie A three to three co plans. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero, sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter. Let's go to James on the phone. James, go ahead, what's going on?
Speaker 10: James?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 17: Tom?
Speaker 5: What's happening man? Yes?
Speaker 17: I was going to get your opinion on a company called Furnished find set out with the Marketplace. I was wanting to see if you had anybody call in about their reviews, basically their operating.
Speaker 4: Now are you talking about did they find they find what furnished apartments and stuff?
Speaker 5: Or what are we talking about? Furnished rentals?
Speaker 17: They really play like traveling nurses and professionals.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, from Nathan Why yeah.
Speaker 4: It's used a lot for people who travel and are only staying in a place a short time, and they don't move in and out of an apartment. And it's called furnished Finders. Now there's more than one. Now, Furnished Finder is a brand name, but there are other companies that do it. So are you asking me are they reputable? The answer is in general.
Speaker 18: Yes, okay, oh, yes, and okay, And now.
Speaker 5: As always no, no, we've never had a complaint.
Speaker 4: But as always I want to tell you something about this with any kind of a rental service, you must be sure that they have the authority to rent and they're not just inserting themselves in a transaction, and that they have authority to collect money, and that that money is going to the right place. I mean, this is very complicated, but you have to do some due diligence because there are a plethora of people who are collecting deposits on apartments. They don't even have the authority to rent, and they just find a listing and they insert themselves in it. So make sure you're dealing directly with the people that you want to like let's say country club, tower and gardens. They rent out furnished places. When you're dealing directly with them, there's no problem now, But furnished rentals that you're calling about furnished Finder, that you have to make sure that you're really dealing with furnished Finder, not someone who says they're with furnished Finder, and that they really do have authority to rent. That's and and right now it's too difficult to tell you how to do due diligence, but it's easy enough to get phone numbers and contact and emails and URLs and verify that you're dealing with the real people. I mean, that's very That's the biggest danger in using a third party for rentals is that you're paying someone or you're signing something with someone who has no authority.
Speaker 5: Now, Mark will.
Speaker 4: Tell you we've had several cases like that over the years where an entire family moved into a furnished home, paid ten grand with security deposit first month's rent. Remember Mark, that one family and she comes to find out the owners didn't even though they rented out their house. Yep, okay, I mean it's a sad commentary of the home.
Speaker 17: Yes, I'm the owner of that, okay.
Speaker 2: D yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: If you're going to be renting it out to traveling nurses and all that, that is a good place to start. They're good people, they're not bad, no complaints ever. I'm Tom Martino. We have another two hours ago on the Troubleshooter Show three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Stick around for more with us.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: We have Red Rocks, roof and Solar and John Fuller as our.
Speaker 4: Guests go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer, Excel Roofing, Dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth Please time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. Comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 3: Ripped bad news? You need advice?
Speaker 2: Who you don't help?
Speaker 1: Come run in just as mass as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Come man, This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 16: No Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome, my friends to the own three show of It's gott We're here to solve problems, answer questions.
Speaker 2: Take complaints. Our goal in life, you know it, Say it with me.
Speaker 7: Make your life a little bit better. Maybe you've been ripped off by a contractor. Maybe you have any questions. Maybe you need help collecting a judgment. Maybe you need help going after someone that ran into you in their car.
Speaker 2: Well, luckily, John Fuller's with me today.
Speaker 7: John, glad you could join us today and by the way, we also have another gas Brooke White Red Rocks RS. I say this about you all the time, Brooke. The amount of money you can find for people building commercial solar systems is remarkable. We've had callers where you have literally recoupo one hundred and twenty percent of the cost of the solar system. That is absolutely amazing. I mean, you're basically talking a free system through grant money and through tax credits. But any questions you have on solar, any questions you have, period, we have three lines open right now. I'll always tell you when a line's open. We'd love to hear from you. By the way, a little bit of exciting news. Trump is basically saying they have a ceasefire deal not in place yet, but everybody's somewhat agreeing to the structure of it right now with Ukraine and Russia. That would be really cool. And some of the details, in fact, a lot of them have been discussed. I guess Ukraine giving up X amount of territory. But think about that, Boy, wouldn't that be great. They paint that war over there is like Vietnam, Like you know, as soon as these troops get out, there's no hills nothing. Basically, it's just a bloodbath. Hopefully all these young men on both side quit dying. That would be awesome if that actually goes through. But three oh three seven, one, three, eight, two five five. Let's jump over to Kim real quick. Hey Kim, what's going on with you? It says you got some kind of issue.
Speaker 2: Kimberly, how are you?
Speaker 10: This is a gentleman mom.
Speaker 2: Oh hey Kim, what's going on? How can we help you? Kim?
Speaker 7: I can tell you Mark well, I mean, if he's not there, why are we talking to him?
Speaker 2: Is he there?
Speaker 10: I'm not sure I've been. I meant to follow up with him, but it's been a crazy week.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 10: Basically, he was married thirty five forty years. He and his wife get divorced.
Speaker 15: He's living in the barn, if you will, the apartment.
Speaker 10: Barn, literally living in the house.
Speaker 15: They come up with an agreement to divorce, she sells the house.
Speaker 10: He was supposed to get half. He never did. But I think this all happened a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Happened Kim? This is uh?
Speaker 18: I mean the house just sold less than a year ago. But it's been in the whole divorce thing has been a couple of.
Speaker 7: Years now, so two years ago you get the force. So the judgment or the decree said, what explain it?
Speaker 18: He said that we could live in separate quarters, which she would live in the house and I live in the in in my shop. So we started to do that. Of course that didn't work right, long story stort. She ended up selling the house underneath my feet. It kept getting kicked off the property by police and I just so.
Speaker 2: She sold the house. You weren't there. She sold the house. How much of the house?
Speaker 7: Back to the decree real quick though, how much were you supposed to get from the sale of the house.
Speaker 18: Let's get the heavange.
Speaker 7: Okay, So when she when she sold it, did she give you fifty percent?
Speaker 18: Absolutely not.
Speaker 7: Have you gone back to court and told the judge they won't talk to me.
Speaker 18: The judge won't talk to you, you know, they won't. They won't have to me any questions, and they keep telling me to fill out emotion.
Speaker 7: Well that's what you have to do, of course, John, explain, just explain in layman's terms what that means. You can't just knock on the court door and go up and talk to the judge. Under most cases, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys have a case that's that's you know, at least been ongoing, and you just can't walk in and throw a new issue on the judge. There are procedures that have to be followed, and one of them is that you're gonna file emotion and put forth what you know your issue is, and then if the court wants to set a hearing, then they'll drag your wife in there to attend and answer to the court, and she'll have an opportunity to put her side of the story down as well. So I'm guessing you guys did not have attorneys involved on this.
Speaker 18: Well, she did because I didn't have any money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh, you did everything wrong. I mean, the marital assets should have got you in an attorney. But it's too late. It's too late for that.
Speaker 2: Where is this? Where is this ex wife for yours?
Speaker 18: I don't know. I think she's in Florida.
Speaker 7: Well, that complicates the hell out of it.
Speaker 2: What state did all this go down in?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: In Colorado?
Speaker 7: Yes, and she asconded with all the money.
Speaker 18: I don't know what she did with the money, but she's not still here. I looked into it. I looked into it. By myself a little bit. And I found out that the people that bought the home paid cash for it.
Speaker 2: Cash, But that doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter how they paid for the cash. I mean how they paid for the home. They could have taken out a loan, could have paid cash, could have brought a wheelbarrow of quarters. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: Does it work though? If he did file the motion John and I mean we're talking divorce court, I mean family law. But what I'm saying in general, you know, a decrease basically a judgment, and if it literally says he gets half of the house and she sold it and she takes off and he gets nothing at this point, regardless if it's a judgment for something else or this, how if she if he doesn't know where the hell she is, I mean, how does he possibly even get her to come back here? Or does he have to go find her in Florida?
Speaker 2: He might he might have to. It depends on whether and this is something I just don't know because I don't practice this kind of law, but I suspect that the court maintained some jurisdiction over the adjudication of that decree. So you know, she has violated the decree in taking all the money if it says what he says it says, and so basically you're seeking to haul her back into court to answer for her violation or contempt of that decree.
Speaker 7: I get that, But not knowing where she's at is problem number one.
Speaker 2: That is problem number one. If she still has an attorney on the case, that attorney, you know, might be able to service and compel her attendance because he is the attorney of record. Now he's withdrawn from the case, which is why a lot of attorneys withdraw at the end of a case so they can't be held to him responsible forget the person back in. But I mean, there are interesting there are people that can locate people. I mean, even Florida, it's still not you know, it's it's a real place. You can find people. They have bank accounts and jobs and properties and all that stuff down there as well. So go ahead, Mark, I know that Kim.
Speaker 10: I talked to Kim at the house a.
Speaker 7: Few tres we ever have him talked to Bonnie.
Speaker 10: That's what I was going to tell you.
Speaker 15: So Kim was on with I think Tom a few weeks ago. Kim, I think is on an Obama phone, if you will, and so by the time Bonnie came on with her advice, he had lost connection. I do have a response from Bonnie in writing about his case.
Speaker 7: If you want me to read it, well, I don't want you to read it verbatim. But let's get to the points of it. Let's take the break. We'll come back and see with the attorney had to say, You're gonna have to hang tight, Kim. We got two lines open three oh three seven one three eight two five five. My god, you couldn't have done anything worse. You couldn't have done anything Wronger, Yeah, I'll say it Wronger, it's horrible.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're.
Speaker 4: Contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out Now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 7: All right three oh three seven one three eight two five five two lines open. You can ripped off. Take an advantage of We want to hear from you. Kim called in and apparently he had a divorce. His ex wife basically scammed them out of the money when she.
Speaker 2: Sold the house she moved to Florida.
Speaker 7: He never got his half of the money and apparently according to the divorce decree he was supposed to get half. He has no idea where she lives. We got Bonnie Shields involved in Bonnie. Suzanne gave us some information and emailed go ahead and read it. Let's see with Bonnie.
Speaker 10: So, Kim, this this is Anne.
Speaker 15: You and I talked on the phone a few days ago, and I meant to get back to you. This is what Bonnie said about your call. She remembered your call. If there was an order for her to give him money and she didn't, he can file emotion for contempt. He asked to be able to find her through and in another state is tricky.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry.
Speaker 15: Able to find her though and in another state is tricky. If she is still in Colorado, it's a lot easier. He could also get a judgment for the amount and maybe lean property if she has bought any. It's not really easy questions. I think I came in late to the talk, and I really would have a lot of questions before I'd feel good about my answers.
Speaker 10: Please tell him he can call me if he wants.
Speaker 2: You should call her.
Speaker 7: She'll talk to you off air, Kim.
Speaker 2: But the one question I have is how long ago was this.
Speaker 18: That I got divorced? Yeah?
Speaker 2: When was the decree? Like literally.
Speaker 18: I sent and I sent in an emotion, but apparently I got denied because I did something wrong.
Speaker 2: When was the final When was the final divorce decree issued by the court? Yeah?
Speaker 7: How long ago? Pre COVID, during COVID, after COVID, Let's start there.
Speaker 18: It was that motion for this is motion for financial distance.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 10: Did she sell the house?
Speaker 18: That was July twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: Okay? So, and and how long had you guys been divorced before she sold the house? Six months.
Speaker 18: At least? Yes? Well, yea almost a year.
Speaker 2: But almost a year okay, okay, so late twenty three ish.
Speaker 7: So basically you need to hire an attorney, Kim. I mean you can call up and talk to Bonnie.
Speaker 18: Tom, Tom, I don't have the money.
Speaker 7: I understand, Kim, listen, maybe after you talk to Bonnie. Maybe, And I trust me, I'm not promising you anything because you know, most family law attorneys don't operate this way. At the beginning, she might have. In other words, she would have never have let this happen if you had an attorney. Quite frankly, you let this woman basically kick.
Speaker 2: You in the face.
Speaker 7: So I'll put it like that. You let your ex wife kick you in the face. She kicked you out of your house. You slept in the barn, then she sold the house, and a year later you're calling us. And the only reason I'm yelling at you is I'm frustrated with you. How come you didn't do anything for yourself all this time?
Speaker 18: I couldn't. I had no money to get an attorney. I just had a stroke. Tom.
Speaker 7: Okay, well there's something I can appreciate at least, right.
Speaker 2: I want you to call.
Speaker 7: Up and talk to Bonnie, okay, and then follow up with us. Follow up with us. The biggest problem is gonna be number one. And Bonnie said that in the email. She said it's gonna be tough to find her. Now, if she went out with that money and bought some property somewhere, that's gonna make it a little easier. But if she's running a place somewhere, especially using her maiden name or something different, now, I mean, this could be a nightmare for you with no assets trying to find her.
Speaker 10: Or she might have spent it already it's been a year mark, or she could.
Speaker 7: Have spent it, or I mean gave it to her kids. I mean, my god, we have no idea what happened here.
Speaker 2: We just have no idea.
Speaker 7: So we're gonna give you Bonnie's number, Okay, Kelly's gonna give it to you off air hold tight.
Speaker 2: I hate getting mad. I feel bad. The guy had a stroke too, But that woman just.
Speaker 7: God, I mean, she just totally took advantage of them, get an attorney, walking into a divorce with one having an attorney and the other having nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's insanity. It's a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 10: I'm surprised that's even legal.
Speaker 2: It's legal. And and I guarantee you that he you know, when they went to their final hearing and stuff to judge and you know, inquired about whether he understood and agreed to everything, and he was like, yep, yep, yep, And you know so, I mean now he's saying no, but then no, not only that.
Speaker 7: To it there there's no doubt. There is no doubt he could have paid for the attorney with the marriage lassets such as the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course he could have.
Speaker 7: So the fact he didn't have one. And I said it, you know, not really jokingly.
Speaker 2: I bet she was. Remember he was out in the barn dominium.
Speaker 7: She's in the house. I bet she's like, Hey, if you don't get an attorney, I'll come busy on Saturday nights or something. Somehow she got him not to get an attorney. She truly took advantage of them. And it's in it's crap, Kurt, what's going on with you?
Speaker 18: Hello?
Speaker 2: Aker?
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 6: I am a project manager for City of Denver and we are building a new recreation center in the Westwood Westwood area southeast southwest Denver, and we have a problem with Comcast and Loomen and I'm hoping you can help out with We had about half a dozen old power poles on the site that we're demoing, and Excel came right out and removed the poles, no problem. But there's one pole that has all the Internet lines from Loomen and Comcast, and we cannot get hold of anyone that will come out and remove them. That we have tried and tried, me and the general contractor, and we're trying to do them a favor. We don't want to just demo the poll and lose internet for all the neighbors in the area. We're trying to be good citizens.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of odd.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess it's not really odd that you have basically Century Lank who's now Luhmen, and then Exfinity on the same or Comcast on the same Susanne. I would like to know whose poll it is, because it's going to come down to that, I wonder. And it's definitely on an easement right along with everything else.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's it's actually in the city. It's a kind of a combination of properties that we're put together to get the site that it's a it's an Excel pole that Excel removed the high voltage lines on and but the remaining lines are the Internet, so they are Do.
Speaker 7: You think those remaining lines are actually feeding homes or businesses though.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, definitely, they're feeding homes in the general area.
Speaker 7: Yes, jeez, that is a crazy one. How long you've been trying to do it. We do have an angel at Century Lenk right or Lumen.
Speaker 11: Definitely, Luman.
Speaker 15: I'm not sure about Comcasts, but luhman, I have a contact for Yeah.
Speaker 7: I didn't even realize funny enough to Comcast had stuff in the sky. Keep going, I'm sorry, man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, it's hard. It's hard to get hold of anybody that I've at least been on the phone for five or six hours with their customer service. And we do have one name of the field person that we got a cell phone number of and email, but they just goes to us and same thing, Looman. We had someone who seemed very responsive, sound like he was going to come out and do the work that anticipated.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so listen, we actually have Suzanne. This would be perfect for our Comcast guy too. This is something he could truly get involved in because he's a field guy.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm talking about Snow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so email Snow and also email Loomen our angel over there. But hold on a second, man, we got to at least get your contact information. The address or you know, whatever the plot or whatever it is where you're dealing with Kelly, make sure we get all the information there. Yeah, that's crazy. You sure don't want to just take it down. And all these businesses have no Internet. In fact, there could actually be some liability there if they did do that. I couldn't there. I mean I realized he works for Denver and you have governmental immunity. But John, just as a thought, I mean, if you were trying to demo an area and there was something like this, I mean, how long do you got to play ball? I mean it's kind of crazy, right, I mean to think of it in those terms. You might have to play ball till someone does something. Yeah, it's tricky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of wonder you know where that line is? You know, when is enough due diligence to make somebody remove that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: One is enough time? Enough time?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: I mean where where's the end of the row?
Speaker 19: All right?
Speaker 2: Three oh three seven one three A two five five. Got to take a break.
Speaker 7: We want to hear from you A couple lines open three zero three Martino.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass and insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 7: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five. You know they finally charged that runner in Virginia, the high school runner charged with assault after the baton strike. It was one of those relay races and they add the baton and this woman just clocks the other one in the head. It happened about a week ago, but finally they pressed charges. She's like, it's an accident. Anybody that watched it, there is no way that was an accident.
Speaker 2: She's up there saying I lost my balance. She knocked her on back. Oh man, the whole thing is like taking a bat and hitting somebody. Brady winding up for a throw. You know, well, you.
Speaker 7: Got to be so mad in the middle of a relay race where you actually start swinging at the other people. There had to be something going on besides the race, maybe like a boyfriend was involved or something. I mean, you just don't start whacking people in a race with you. I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 10: Well, it looks like they were from the same school. The jerseys were the same.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, you know what, then that even proves my point. More something was going on. I bet it boy was involved from different schools.
Speaker 10: Mark, I can't relate to this. But she's she claims it was just an accident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's up against salt charges.
Speaker 18: Yeah she is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she can say that all she wants. But unfortunately it's on video and you can all see that there was nothing. Actually she didn't. She didn't lose her balance one little bit. I mean it was clearly she reared back and whacked the girl.
Speaker 7: You know, God, there had to be so much more to it. I bet you there was some kind of a boyfriend involved, or a girlfriend or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I mean she was close, like really close to her. They were all bunched up or something, and it just brushed her. But I mean she tried to drop her. Yeah, she's taking a swing and she did drop her. She did veered off and collapsed over there and says she had a concussion.
Speaker 9: So beeing somebody that ran track in college, Oh you did. I've never ever seen somebody get hit with a baton. Sometimes you get spiked.
Speaker 10: Stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you hit somebody maybe like you know, like on a farm.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Did you grow up in Iowa?
Speaker 7: Well yes, yeah, I was like, this is like New York City stuff.
Speaker 15: Okay, you wouldn't understand this stuff that's normally New York racing.
Speaker 2: In Denver that happens every day.
Speaker 7: We did that all the time back in the city.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I ran track and field, I remember.
Speaker 7: Getting mugged a few times coming around in Jersey.
Speaker 2: I remember my daughter played volleyball growing up in high school and stuff. And one of their first trips they took into a inner city Denver, Oh yeah, you know, volleyball program and and it was something they had never experienced before in their lives. I mean, these girls were calling them names, and brandisically threatening them and stuff, and it was crazy, crazy and all these little girls are like, what the hell is going on here? You know? It was bad.
Speaker 7: How did they end up doing?
Speaker 2: Did they win got smoked. They got smoked. So it worked. If my daughter's going to kill me for this one, but I'm going to tell it.
Speaker 7: So you know Adeline very well. She's done some work for you. And he's up in law school in fact, her last year right now, she'll be taking the bar this year. But when she was probably seventeen, she was in taekwondo. She had a third degree, right, And when you're sparring in Douglas County inside your own school and other schools around, she was pretty good. So I mean she decided that she wanted to start sparring, meaning.
Speaker 2: Like real competition, right.
Speaker 7: So we're like, okay, whatever, So we go out, we buy whatever equipment. Don't get me going on that part. So we go to the first one. We drive down. It's somewhere like in Colfax in Denver. We're in Hoodlum territory, man, and I am not kidding, and it is packed. It's like the scene in the original Karate Kid. There's like a million people there. There's like different rings going on everything. Her first sparring was with this person at a pueblo. And when I say mean name calling, just like like Addie had never witnessed coming from Franktown and Castle Rock area, had never witnessed anything like this before ever. Hell Susanna and I were terrified for her life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this girl was mean, I mean really mean. They got in there. She beat the living she got but handed to her dog, brought her boyfriend along.
Speaker 7: The boyfriend was there to witness the beating, and uh, let me tell you, that was the last time she sparred outside of Douglas County.
Speaker 2: So I feel for your dog. Exactly the same kind of outcome. It was. It was brutal. These kids were shocked. They were like, what in the heck have we been dropped into here?
Speaker 8: And that was before transgender people were allowed to do it.
Speaker 2: They didn't even it didn't really matter. I mean, these girls were they were bigger, they were tougher, tougher, they were aggressive, they were mean, they were calling him names. It was it was bad.
Speaker 7: Hey man, I'll tell you we had Troy back in my middle school, eighth grade. I'll tell you there wasn't anybody in the world that would fight Troy. He was just the meanest SLB. It just didn't matter. You would be insane to fight Troy. Troy wanted to fight this one kid after school, and the kid tried to run away, and he was so terrified he pulled a knife out on Troy, and Troy ended up stabbing the kid.
Speaker 2: And he's not even the one that got in trouble because the other kid brought the knife.
Speaker 7: But we all knew those kids where you'd be insane to fight them. I mean they'll kill.
Speaker 2: You, literally, they'll kill you, right, all right?
Speaker 7: Hey Bernard, what is your comment on the Kurt issue with the telephone polls and what's going on?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 19: Well, there's two fighting. The City of Denver could write excelent letter and ask him to know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course, yeah this guy, this guy wants to get on with the demo and knock it out like you know tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 7: I get you're right though the city of Denver could get involved.
Speaker 19: Yeah, but he's been screwing Ruthers for fun a while, right.
Speaker 7: I don't think so, honestly, But it doesn't matter. I agree with you one hundred percent. If anybody could get their attention, it's going to be I was going to say the mayor, but honestly, I don't think he could get anybody's attention.
Speaker 2: Keep going.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 19: The other thing is that each one of those companies that have a stell from the poll write them a letter and say you've been trying to get you know, yeah, talking to your local people. They've been giving the run round, and that they've got, you know, ten days in the ring.
Speaker 7: Rich Hey, but why do you why are you even going there? Meaning have you had to deal with this before?
Speaker 19: Why I'm going to construction engine there for years?
Speaker 1: Got it? Well?
Speaker 7: See, we know, we literally know two people we call them angels, one at each and one of them is a guy that literally does exactly this. He either builds out or take down for century Link or Loomis or whatever they're called now. And so I have a feeling this will get handled in the next couple of days just through our angels. But I appreciate it under NORGL circumstances. You're absolutely right. I mean, basically you got to just go contact them and at some point maybe just drive down to a local office.
Speaker 19: Right. But if you send in the letter and nothing happened, at least you got something going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you definitely do.
Speaker 7: I agree with that one hundred percent, Ben art Hey, I appreciate the call man three oh three seven one three eight two five five Artists, I promise you're up right after this? Got two lines open, three zero three Martino, we want to hear from you.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up, free obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 7: Help.
Speaker 4: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 7: All Right, three oh three seven one three a two five five two lines open. Hey, Kelly, is that that same guy? Don different guy? Update that because mine says don on here? But anyhow, Artists, what's going on with you? Artists?
Speaker 20: Okay?
Speaker 6: I need a referral to a car from Colorado to Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't want to get ripped off again like my son did two years ago? Got it?
Speaker 18: What this virtue dies?
Speaker 2: So here's what I do?
Speaker 19: Can you recommend the company.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not a company, it's a person. We know Rod with Jfarcars. Here's what Rod's gonna do. He's gonna mark it up a little so, I mean he might charge fifty hundred bucks whatever it is, but he's going to go on to a site that they use all the time. JFR Cars ships cars all over the country and they're part of a group of people that can go on and they know when a certain company they trust has a truck in the area, and basically they grab that truck, they get the best price and get it done. And I mean it's going to be ensured. Nothing's going to happen. It's going to be the best way to go. But that's ah. I want you to call Rid up and then he'll get it for you. And he'll also find you the best price because he's going to be looking at all the different pricing as well.
Speaker 18: He's like a broker.
Speaker 7: Then, yeah, he's like a broker, but he ships cars personally all over the country.
Speaker 2: He knows all the shippers.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, he deals directly with the shippers.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: He doesn't own his own shipping company, but he deals with all the good ones. So he's going to tell you which one to use.
Speaker 20: What's JFR cars.
Speaker 7: Three h three asks for Rod three oh three five two zero six eight three nine. You can also find JFR on our referral list at referral list dot com.
Speaker 17: I was looking for that.
Speaker 18: I couldn't find the referral list.
Speaker 7: Oh, just referral list dot com and under search just at JFR.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, got that all right?
Speaker 7: Artist appreciated.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't trust just anybody.
Speaker 7: This is you said your son got ripped off? Just out of curiosity? What happened? How do you get ripped off? The car never showed up, showed up, damage, charged them more.
Speaker 18: She shipped his merchandise from Colorado to Mississippi end that we went two months late.
Speaker 5: Parva got there and the other part dune.
Speaker 18: Yeah it was dammaged.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it was pure Hall.
Speaker 7: So yeah, and a lot of people that was his car. A lot of people don't realize too when you're shipping most things, especially interstate, I mean you're looking at sixty to seventy cents a pound if they break some can you imagine that? Think about like a brand new one thousand dollars eighty five inch TV John and the thing weighs let's say thirty five pounds, and they're going to give you twenty bucks for it because it's by the pound.
Speaker 2: Ye. People don't get it. People just don't get it.
Speaker 7: In fact, just as a side note, I don't think when we move, I don't think we're moving. I don't think I'm going to I'm gonna either sell all the furniture or just get rid of it. I mean, I'm to the point now where I don't even I don't think it makes sense to move furniture across the country. I mean, unless you have something that's like really crazy. But I just think it would be cheaper to buy new stuff or at least hassle factor a lot better.
Speaker 2: Plus the stuff.
Speaker 7: We have now in what we you know, our country estate, if you will, out in the woods would look pretty strange in a modern condo somewhere.
Speaker 2: The challenge that you have is that if you buy new stuff, a lot of times it takes four to six weeks to get it, sometimes even ten or twelve to get it. Yeah, and so it's really hard to kind of stagger, you know, leaving and getting rid of all the other stuff and showing up with nothing and then figuring out what to do for a couple of months.
Speaker 7: A lot of condos, like if you have like you know, if you have a place in Keystone, for example, they're Breckenridge, a lot of those kind of ski and condos and stuff, they're always sold with the furniture. Yeah, And then is that true in general with like I don't know, like something over at Landmark. I mean, if you buy something in Landmark, I bet a lot of times. I think when Tom sold his Unity sold it furnished. I think it's really expensive to move out of the top floor.
Speaker 2: I think it's if it's you know, I think it really comes down to whether the sellers, you know, it was their primary residence or not. If it's a second home, you're more likely that they're going to leave it because, yeah, what are they going to do with it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they have no place to put it an one.
Speaker 2: But for somebody that actually lives there it's their stuff, you're much less likely that they're going to leave it.
Speaker 7: So we've got one I want to talk about coming up and don I'll get you in a second. We can free up artists there three oh three seven one three A two five five. We'd love to hear from you any questions you have loved to go after a contractor anything. We love sinking our teeth into that stuff or just giving advice. Three zero three seven one three A two five five. One more hour coming up. But John, I'm going to talk to you about something we discussed on air. Actually I wasn't here, but I heard you talking about it. The guy that got hit. Oh, I send it to you. I do remember this. I know why I remember it with you. I sent you over that caller we had that were the gate on I seventy opened up one of the snow gates or wind gates or basically closed the road down and it hit their car, did about ten fifteen thousand dollars worth of damage. And then what happened was they turned it into State of Colorado where Sea died. They got denied and do you remember why it got denied? With the denial letter said roughly do you remember?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What did it say? We didn't have knowledge of it before the incident.
Speaker 7: I have an update for you after this break that's gonna blow your mind about that exact same gate. Everybody hold on perfect tease.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 3: Ripped off, mad News? Need advice? Who you don't have?
Speaker 1: Come running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help. Come man, This is.
Speaker 16: The Troubleshooter Show Now, Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome to the Only Show.
Speaker 7: If it's kind. We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints, make your life just a little bit better. In fact, to the tune of over three hundred million in cash, merchandise exchanges, refund services directly due to this show. If you've been ripped off, or maybe you want to prevent being ripped off, and you have a question, we want to hear from you. Three zero three seven one three eight two five five. Attorney John Fuller joins me to my left, my beautiful wife, Suzanne Brooke White with Redrocksars dot Com, Redrocks Roof and Solar in Deputy Doc.
Speaker 2: We've got Dragon and we've got Kelly on the other side of the glass.
Speaker 7: If anybody has any questions wants to talk to us, we'd love to hear from you. Three zero three seven one three eight two five five. Great time to get through now, John, I want to talk to you about this. I kind of teased it. It's crazy. We had a caller reach out to us at help at trebleshooter dot com and they sent me a video and I sent the video to you. They're driving down I seventy and these gates where they close the highway down generally due to weather, swung open and hit their car and it's the video is literally a dashcm and you can see it. It's like the gate was fine, yep, no problem. Next thing you know, it opens up and it happens to hit their car. I think it was ten grand in damage, yep. And they did.
Speaker 2: Everything they were supposed to.
Speaker 7: They called the police, they made an accident report, they reached out to Sea Dot. They went through the online portal to try to get reimbursed hip for the body shop, and they got denied because.
Speaker 2: We didn't have knowledge of the dangerous condition before this accident.
Speaker 7: So listen to this. After that aired on here, Okay, listen to this. This other one came out and this happened about a week ago. That same exact gate, the exact same exact gate in twenty twenty three hit a truck and did twenty three thousand dollars worth of damage to the truck, the exact same one.
Speaker 2: Are you telling me they had the police report lied about the gate.
Speaker 7: I'm saying Sea Dot said they didn't know about it. But how wouldn't they have known about it if it happened back in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You can't be serious.
Speaker 7: They out in front of me when I was going to pass somebody else. Harvey said, there was nowhere else I could go. I couldn't hit the brakes, and I hit it head on. Cost twenty grand of damage to my truck.
Speaker 2: And they paid for it. And no, they didn't pay for it. They invoked the same thing I said.
Speaker 7: I contacted my insurance company, who contacted Sea Dot. Sea dot said, it's a road hazard in Colorado, and that's something you're supposed to look out for.
Speaker 2: So here's the deal. Just let me kind of set the legal, you know, framework for why this went down the way it went down. Okay times so you know, simple negligence is new or should have known. I mean, the gate wasn't ladged. Maybe you could foresee that the thing could swing open and a windo or something on a windy day sometimes blows in eastern Colorado. Crazy but true, and and we would just be dealing with foreseeability. But when it's a government actor, for seability alone doesn't carry the day because we have the governmental immunity standards which we have to have, which we have to have, makes total sense, But the effect of the governmental Immunity statute is to raise up the required level of knowledge above just simple foreseeability and newer to gross No, you have to have actual knowledge, which is kind of the same as gross negligence, but you have to actually show knowledge of the dangerous convention.
Speaker 7: So, for example, if someone was working on that gate the day before and realize the latch was broken.
Speaker 2: Good, and they were waiting a day to get the new latch, and even if somebody emailed them a year before and said, hey, that gate looks a little close to the road, that would be enough. The challenge is, I mean, here's really what it comes down to. How the heck do you get somebody to give you the information that you need to be able to prove that they had knowledge of something. Let's get out of the government immunity.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: So let's say it's a I'm trying to think of a good example. Let's say a slip and fall on government property. No, let's a slip and fall at Walmart, or a slipping fall at Sears, or a slipping fall anywhere.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you don't.
Speaker 7: Know there's a piece of ice outside wherever, let's say it's society of your building, it's not in the main walkway, and someone slips and falls pushing a grocery cart out to their car the first time it happens, how would Walmart have ever known it was there?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, because the standard for a private landowner is a new or should have known standard. Okay, So either we can say you did know about it, or if you didn't, you should have. You operate a big parking lot it gets snow, you're in charge of cleaning it. You hire companies. You're unnoticed that we could potentially have ice. Okay, so new or should have known. But the government, in their infinite ways, put a little provision in there. The humility says, when we're dealing with the governmental immunity situation, simple new or should have known doesn't carry the day. That component of the analysis is ramped up to the next level, which requires actual knowledge.
Speaker 7: But most of the slipping falls you hear about in a parking lot, there's generally never a payout on there, are there? I mean, if it just snows, like how long? What's reasonable? So you know a halstorm comes through or a snowstorm comes through, Well when does a retail shop? When are they expected to know there's ice? Get rid of the ice? Well, actually sign me up.
Speaker 2: We do have successful cases under those circumstances, and a lot of times it comes down to you know, they'll you've got a reason. You've got a contract that says you're supposed to come plow and as salt a parking lot. Whenever you have an accumulation of two inches, yeah, can get we get six? And they didn't show.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like Denver makes all retailers shovel the sidewalks within X amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have a standard. We may have a contract that sets forth a duty on some particular defendant to come out and plow and shovel and salt and sand and all that, and they don't do it, or you know, or you have I've had cases where you know, there's a manager that has to give the final go ahead because they don't want the snowplow to show up in charge of money. Every time there's a flake of snow, they're like, well it was two inches in wherever. So some manager has to give the go ahead and they're like, well not yet, not yet, not yet, And then they don't do it when clearly it goes over that threshold. Then they're going to be held responsible because they knew or they should have known.
Speaker 7: Have you ever had a case where a car accident.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 7: But let's say it's a maybe it was a stolen car or someone that wasn't supposed to be driving the car, yep. And the insurance simply won't pay because they weren't supposed to be driving the car. And there's nothing the other party can do at that point right, In other words, your client if they're not if they're not going to cover it, I mean that is a true out or or I also heard this and tell me if I'm right, then I want to see if you ever had a case like this where if I'm in my own car and I have insurance, I have liability insurance. Let's they have a lot of it. But I decide I'm going to like rob a bank or rob a seven to eleven in my car and I'm driving away and I'm trying to get away quick and I run into somebody. Could my insurance not pay because I was in the middle of a crime even though it's me driving my car.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you just threw out three different scenarios there. Let me enough in turn the simplest one. If your car gets stolen and you had no culpability in it getting stolen, like you didn't leave it outside warming up with the keys in it, or something that we could point to you as being you know, negligent in getting stolen, or something that your insurance is almost certainly never gonna pay for those damages. Okay. Scenario number two would be, let me give you a scenario Let's say you and your you know girlfriend break up. Okay, but but prior to that, she drove your car all the time. Okay, so she at one point was a permissive driver. The law in Colorado says, if you ever were a permissive driver, you always are a permissive.
Speaker 7: So even if you broke up, if she stole your car the next week to get.
Speaker 2: Back at you, yes, she's still going to be a permissive driver. Your insurance coverage would apply and would provide for you know, a victim of an action, even if you told her don't ever touch my car again. I had a case where a guy showed up, i mean, beat the ever living you know what out of his ex, kidnapped her, stuffed her in the car, got in her car, and drove off, and we still got coverage for the accident that happened about two blocks away.
Speaker 7: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So yes, now your third.
Speaker 7: Scenario remissive driver, always driver, Yep.
Speaker 2: And that's crazy. Yep. In the eyes of the law, that's exactly it. And so your third scenario again was well.
Speaker 7: If you're oh yeah, yeah, if you're if you're committed, you're a crime.
Speaker 2: You're robbing a bank as you tend to do seven eleven stuff or seven elevens whatever, and you drive away and you run over somebody. Okay, there are in almost every insurance contract provisions that say we will not pay for damages incurred during the commission of a.
Speaker 7: Crime, even if it's you driving, even if it's you driving. Have you ever ran up against that in all your time where the insurance company not not your client, because you're usually on the other side, but you're fighting to get paid and they're saying, nope, we're not going to cover it because of this clause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've tried to. I haven't had one that was successful in in truly denying it, you know. And and and the guy that was driving it certainly wants there to be insurance coverage because that person is on the line. If the insurance doesn't pay, they're in a real pickle there. So they've always been super cooperative with us in sating it was a complete accident. I was totally you know, and we've been successful. You know that dealy has happened. Yeah, for sure. That's the reason why d ULI accidents are covered.
Speaker 7: Okay, wait, because wait, I got to take this break, because that's where I was going to go next, Yep, if it's in, if it's during the commission of a crime and someone's out getting drunk, or let's even go, let's even go a step further. They're cruising down I twenty five shoving Jack Daniels down their throat by the bottle. To me, that's a big time crime. They're in the commission of a crime right there. They're drinking and driving, So I assume and we'll talk about it after this. They wouldn't have any coverage, but they always seem to.
Speaker 11: Yep, go with a sure thing.
Speaker 4: Denver's Rufer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content than time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 7: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five. You've been ripped off taking advantage of just need some help. We want to hear from you. We got lines open three zero three Martino. I want to go back to John Fuller. Then I got a text for Brook with redrocksr AS dot com. John. So we were talking about during a commission of a crime, and we were talking about if I robbed to seven eleven in my car, that I have liability insurance and I run into somebody or run over somebody, my insurance company could deny the claim because I was I was using the car during the commission of a crime.
Speaker 2: Pretty much straight up yep.
Speaker 7: But I said, then how come people with DUIs all the time, and I mean like bad ones, how come their insurance pay So you're driving down the highway and someone sucking down Jack Daniels like pez candy or something, and then they run into another car and create a big injury or death or something like that. Why isn't that a crime as well? Why does insurance always pay out? Yeah, it's a it's a great question.
Speaker 2: But the reality is the driving is distinct from the drunkenness. Okay, so it's not the drunkenness that causes the accident, it's the negligent driving that causes the accident. Got it. So it's driving off the road, it's whatever. I mean, that's truly. The difference is that you can't you can't conflate the two acts. They're distinctly and and and legally set it acts. You know. The negligence that caused the accident is they didn't intend the accident. It was still an accident that was not you know, on purpose that they ran into it. That would be an intentional act that wouldn't be covered. This is an accident and they just happened to be in violation of They could have been in violation of a seat belt law. Let's just let's use that as texting now. Or texting, you wouldn't say that the the violation of the seat belt law should invalidate insurance coverage. Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 7: So it's the same kind of concept. It's kind of funny thinking about it that way. If I was an insurance company, I would love to be able to say, Okay, if you're intoxicated, you don't have coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some try to do that. Actually, be very hard.
Speaker 7: Can there be so many people that aren't covered.
Speaker 8: In the scenario that Mark originally mentioned what's the difference if he robbed a bank and on the way out hit somebody. How is that different?
Speaker 7: Do you want it's still not Well, the robbing the bank was intentional, it was so it was drinking.
Speaker 8: But yeah, you're doc, You're right, So why I'm just cherious why it would be different.
Speaker 2: It just is. I mean, it's it's one of those things where and and and listen, the commission of a crime, exclusion is is really more predicated on the intentionality of the driving. So if you're driving fast, trying to escape from the scene, it's that is an intentional act. You're you're breaking that. It's your speed and inability to control the vehicle that is the cause of the accent.
Speaker 7: Or trying to run from the cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or running from the cops. I mean, that is the crime that you're doing. That's the intentional deal. The drunk guy is not intending to break the law. He's trying to drive good. He's just happens to be drunk. That makes I think that's really where the it's the intentional part.
Speaker 7: Yes, So if I if someone took their car and intentionally they're really pissed at their neighbor, whatever, it's a neighbor thing that just blew out of control, and they grabbed their car and run over their mailbox and run over their shed in their truck. There's probably no coverage because they did it on purpose, correct, simple as that. Absolutely it does homeowners work the exact same way for the most part.
Speaker 2: I think. So. Yeah, it's hard to say I accidentally ran through the guy's fence and over his tough shed. And I mean, who was the what was the politician that I thought they were going to talk about Tiger Woods? Tiger of course, but the who was it that the neighbor went and assaulted him when he was cutting his grass or something? It was no, No, it was the guy, the Texas guy.
Speaker 7: No, wasn't it. No, it definitely wasn't Ross Brow No, no, no, got it. Can't believe. I can't think of his name. I can picture him perfectly.
Speaker 10: I thought it was one of the Pauls.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was Ron Paul.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the neighbor over ran rad All and just beat the hell out of him.
Speaker 8: But that's in Kentucky, not Texas.
Speaker 7: And what did he say, though I didn't know, did he say it was an accident?
Speaker 2: I accidentally punched him. In essence, yeah, he tried to and and I mean that case was that was just dumb, you know all the way around. It wasn't really an insurance deal. But but it was your example about running through the neighbor spence because you get so mad at him for whatever.
Speaker 7: You know, I bet there's been husbands or wives they got really mad and they take one car and run into the other. Now, what happens if someone did run into your own car on accident? Once again, let's take out. Let's take out. It wasn't intentional, it's an accident.
Speaker 2: It's covered, so they cover it.
Speaker 7: I back out and I don't realize Suzanne parked right behind me and I run into all the.
Speaker 2: Time and it's covered.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well that's good to know.
Speaker 2: That's really good care for where you parked. Susan.
Speaker 7: What you say out of all your clientele, and I don't mean your clientele, I'm going to take that back. I'm talking the other side, the people you go after, like the people that hit us. Ironically, the ones that hit us. She was a woman and the one that rear and daddy was a woman, So just ironic. But I'm asking you and you know, feel free if you don't want to go there. But then I'll know what the answer is. Do people that cause accidents tend to be women?
Speaker 2: Nice? Nice? Try? I don't. I truly don't know. It's not something that I track in my firm, got it, I I would, I truly wouldn't know. I mean, I would tell you if I if I had a sense of it.
Speaker 7: But I lit teenagers.
Speaker 2: I can't say. I can't say that it's decidedly, you know, a female roster of defendants in my firm. I don't. I don't know that it is. I think it's probably, you know, equal to the demographic makeup in the in the community. I mean, really it makes sense. Maybe I would, I would have to guess that, you know, maybe younger drivers are more prevalent than than older drivers, and you know kids more than you know. You could probably look deep into it and come up with all these crazy conclusions. But but it's not something that I track, And I truly don't have the sense to say that it's a rule, that's the mark rule.
Speaker 7: I know this for a fact.
Speaker 2: Young boys costs more to ensure than young girls. I guarantee of the insurance companies know exactly who's more likely to get in an accident, Yeah, and charge accordingly.
Speaker 7: And then how about how about someone I've heard I've heard maybe it was you. I've heard someone say that if it truly is a health issue. In other words, you legitimately have a stroke and you pass out, Thank God you live, but you cause a big accident that you can actually but be denied because well it's not intentional. You didn't intentionally have a stroke. So but it was kind of like an act of God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that still is there to a degree. We had this thing called a sudden emergency doctrine in Colorado for a long time that that would apply in that circumstance directly towards.
Speaker 7: The insurance company. In other words, it wasn't out.
Speaker 2: Right they would say, we're not covering it to sudden emergency. They weren't negligent, there's no you know, there's no insurable act there, you know. But then the defense bar started pushing the envelope and they pushed it a little bit too far, and they did it for a lady that lost control over cars.
Speaker 4: We'll go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 7: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five three zero three Martino, We've been picking John Fuller's brain left and right today. It's been kind of crazy. I love thinking about just law in general. John, you did some criminal defense. By the way, we have lines open three oh three seven one three eight two five five, and I've got some questions for Brookie Redrocks. But you did criminal law for a little bit, right, I did. What side of the arena? Were you on the DA side or both sides.
Speaker 2: Are on the defense side? On the defense side, were you ever a public defender? Negative ghost rider?
Speaker 7: That's got to be a hard one.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's the same job, but the complicating you know what makes it difficult is they.
Speaker 7: Just get you're not getting paid.
Speaker 2: Well, being ombwhelmed with a million cases. You know, there's you know, if those guys are like, look, I can get a great deal, or do you want to go to trial, and they're like, I want to go to trial, you know, and so they end up trying.
Speaker 7: Because they're not paying for an attorney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and and they figure just roll the dice. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? I lose. That's the same thing as a as a plea. So if those guys get i mean just the worst cases, some of the worst clients, and they get you know, overwhelmed with cases, I mean, it's a bad deal. I feel sorry for him. A lot of times. They are phenomenal attorneys, you know, they get they get the worst facts and they play cases. It's kind of like putting in your does though right in the d well. It's not in the DA's office at all.
Speaker 7: But I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: The DA and the PD are not connected in any way. They're but they're both paid for by the city right well by the state. Normally, you know, it's a the DA's or state agencies and the public defenders as well, but they're completely separate. There's no there's no connection.
Speaker 1: What's up.
Speaker 7: So Adeline worked in the public Defender's office over I think last summer in Wyoming, YEP. And most of them coming through that she dealt with drove her crazy because they're almost all the same. It was child neglect, child molestation, and we're talking generally by someone in the family, right, And she said she just could.
Speaker 2: Never do it.
Speaker 7: She said, it's so hard to get up there. And you know, she was there interning, so it's not like I mean, she's working under somebody's my point, and she goes, I just don't even know how they do it. I mean, it's just outright disgusting some of these people. And you got to get up there and defend them. Yeah, it's gotta be tough as hell.
Speaker 2: There are bad facts and bad people and bad cases out there every time, you know, and those people are entitled to a defense. In large god largely, the defense that they get provided doesn't require that we endorse what they did or didn't do. I mean, we're we're not. I mean, we're we're providing a legal defense that's different than you know, than saying I'm advocating that their behavior was.
Speaker 7: If you hire a criminal defense attorney, and let's say I walk in and I come in and say, hey, I need an attorney. I got arrested for domestic violence last night. And I looked and I go, yep, and she really pissed me off, and I punched her in the face and I threw her down the stairs, and I literally come out to the attorney of what I did. They can still defend me, right, They don't have to. They don't have to tell anybody.
Speaker 2: Criminal defense is mostly about ensuring that the process that's in place was applied correctly and worked. So it's about the quality of the evidence, the quality of the probable cause, the propriety of the actions that were taken by the police, and building the case. You know, all of those factors.
Speaker 7: That if you know your client well is guilty of.
Speaker 2: Such, put him on that that doesn't really matter. That's that's not the issue unless you're going to trial and you're going to put the guy on the stand and and and ask him the question, so did you do it? He answers, No, that's suborning perjury. You couldn't. You couldn't do that, okay, But but generally speaking, nothing. But I'm just saying the general process of criminal defense is not focused on that issue. It's it's not It's.
Speaker 7: Focused on if everything was done properly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did what you did. I'll do what I do, And what I do is focused on the case and the evidence and the rules and the law and the court and the process and all of those things that go into a competent legal defense.
Speaker 7: And ever since I've known you, you've been personal injury. So why did you move? And it's been a long time. I mean, you must have been in the criminal realm years ago. That sounds weird, the criminal realm, criminal defense realm. So what what what made you move?
Speaker 2: We know, it just got to where my practice required one hundred percent of my efforts on one side or the other. And and you know, I my commitment to my clients that are my injury clients and stuff. I mean, you know, I'm I'm on those cases for sometimes two and three years easily, and so you know, that's a much bigger commitment than three or four court appearances on a criminal case and stuff. So it just got to a point where professionally I needed to kind of pick between the two, got it, and I totally picked the people that I've got my long term commitments with and that I've you.
Speaker 7: Know, and you're always on the good side of it. Honestly, you're helping people, seriously, you're helping people get back on their feet, get back to their life, and getting their damages. Hey John, what is your question for red Rocks?
Speaker 20: Hey Mark, So I have four panels on my ropes that got installed about seven years ago, and about six months ago they just stopped.
Speaker 7: All right, hold on, John, let me take this and I'm gonna have Brook answer that second we come back, so we can give her a few minutes. Hold tight.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denvers Best Roofer, Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content than.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out Now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 7: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five, don't forget three oh three Martino works on and off the air. Help at troubleshooter dot com. John called in, Hey, John, So you've got an old solar system on your house for the panels are not working. Now that's where we left finish your question.
Speaker 20: Okay, So I was just curious of from what I could tell, there's no inverter that's installed like on the wall outside my house. I'm assuming there's just an inverter underneath each channel or one for all four underneath there is there a fuse in there that could go bad or what primarily would cause these things to the not produce.
Speaker 2: How old is it?
Speaker 7: Real quick? Then brick jump in.
Speaker 20: They're around seven.
Speaker 10: Is this an off grid or an on grade system?
Speaker 20: So it's producing to a smart meter, That's all I could tell you.
Speaker 18: I guess.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So then there's got to be an inverter of some sort if it's like sending the power and you're still connected to the grid, so your inverter probably went bad, is what my guess is. If you only have four panels, then it's definitely an in Phase system because there's no other system that would support that.
Speaker 10: So you just need to.
Speaker 9: Find that en Phase box and then have somebody come out and do you a warranty claim because n Phase warranties their systems for twenty five years, so you're well within that twenty five year mark.
Speaker 2: So but they don't pay for the service part, right, just the part.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they'll pay for the parts. You have to find somebody that's going to.
Speaker 2: Come out and I mean do you guys do that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we absolutely do.
Speaker 7: So you would go out there and if it's what you're thinking, you would get it warranted and then basically the part would be free and he'd just pay you guys labor just an idea, broke. How much is that labor? Just an idea?
Speaker 10: It's like two or three hours worth of work for it and that's it. That's it. Yeah, it's pretty quick.
Speaker 7: Oh that sounds really straightforward, John, it does. So do they give you any and you know it's that particular one with the twenty five year warranty because that's the only company that made an inverter for four panels.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so anything that's eight panels or less has got to be en phase because everything else is DC and it cannot operate.
Speaker 7: Wow, that's a real small system though, John, how much when everything was working, if you even own the house at the time, I mean, how much would that offset your energy?
Speaker 20: Oh not buy a whole bunch.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 20: I couldn't even tell you to kill a watch, but it was pretty insignificant. We got it more for the Well, we got an upgrade on our use panel and we got insulation put in our attics.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got you.
Speaker 7: You got you took advantage of like an Excel rebate or something along those terms.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, okay, Well that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I mean call them up.
Speaker 7: Just go to redrocksars dot com and all the people that come out and work on it and swap that out and help you. They all work directly for a brook. I mean that's it. It's pretty simple like that, John Fuller. And by the way, redrocksars dot com once again commercial systems. They do all kinds of repairs, residential, commercial, you name it. Everybody's in house Redrocksars dot com. John Fuller, good seeing you as always, and everybody else, have a great day. Tomorrow is car day right here on the Troubleshooter Show,