Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm and I'm Stephen, and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you doing okay?
Speaker 1: How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Shall we reveal our hair from last week?
Speaker 2: Our hairs? Oh? Yes, So for anyone that wasn't aware, oh did we say? Actually no, we did say in the episode, din't we there were three hairs last week, yes, spread across the different scenes. So we included our hair three times throughout the episode.
Speaker 1: We did? That was your idea? Very clever?
Speaker 2: I hopefull it wasn't too blindingly obviously.
Speaker 1: Should we have a listen to all three of them?
Speaker 2: Go for it? Where do we start? I guess with the bill video?
Speaker 1: So do we need to send any more about the bill section at this point.
Speaker 2: I guess the bill video at the start could have been something she was watching.
Speaker 1: There we go the bill in case you didn't notice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then if you spotted that, Yeah, all them and we will try and smuggle another one in this week.
Speaker 1: Yes, So what are we discussing this week?
Speaker 2: Episode six of series five, The Stakeout. The summary from the inside of a nine Wiki is two police officers have time to get to know each other on the night shift, but PC Thompson's previous partner died in a brutal attack less than a month ago, the forensics have gone missing, and PC Varney is beginning to ask a lot of awkward questions. I love this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. It is a great one, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Is it possibly one of my favorites? Yeah, which I didn't think it probably would be on the face of it, in that it's quite a character drive one, like it's most of them just chatting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not really you.
Speaker 2: No, it's not normally me. But then the end makes up for it. So maybe maybe if it hadn't got the end, it wouldn't trick.
Speaker 1: But before we get into it, I just want to point out that, as I mentioned, or we did our stage right episode. This was written as a replacement for a House Divided, Yes, the one which is going to be set in the theater, which was they were told was too expensive, so they were told they had to write a really cheap one, so they just wrote, yeah, two people in a car.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know whether they've muddeled stories together, but I was reading about this and they came up with an entirely different reason. So apparently this episode originally was a musical, not this episode, but the episode.
Speaker 1: That would have been interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that works, But the episode that would have been in this slot was originally a musical, and they were told, like, you have no money for that, come up with something else, and they came up with this, So I don't know whether they're okay, yeah, mixing two different stop. Maybe maybe the House Divided was this one of the musical was a difer one, not vice versa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they've just forgotten themselves now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they've written that little little booklety type thing of the script like what five years later, so maybe they've mis misattributed it. Yeah, but either way, apparently it was one of two different episodes at least.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, deliberately written as something cheap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although they say it was cheap, apparently ended up being quite expensive because of all the lighting that they needed.
Speaker 1: The intention was cheap, but I was listening to the official podcast and they had their producer on as a guest, and right, I feel you could just tell, like whether Reese was playing up to it for the podcast or if he was really like there was tension between them. It was just quite amusing. He was just like, well, you said you wanted something cheap, and then you just threw loads of money at it and made it so expensive.
Speaker 2: We just gave you two guys in a car, like, yeah, but they needed several cars, and they needed lighting, and they needed all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it spiraled apparently. This is yet another one that I don't quite know how we discussed without.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to say, I don't think we can think.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think we can.
Speaker 1: Obviously, if you're listening to this, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Please stop if you haven't, because because it's such a good one, please go.
Speaker 1: It's a really good twist. Okay, we're giving you time to stop playing it and go. Okay, now, those weird people have gone. We can say what we all know, but.
Speaker 2: They were on mars.
Speaker 1: Reese's character is a vampire.
Speaker 2: Secret vampire story. Yeah, it's so good and it's so left field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you first time you watched it? Did you guess at all?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No, I don't think I guess until right up, like as he's on the back seat saying is yeah five tropes thing like I got it immediately. Then oh, yeah, this is another one. I've not said this for a while, but this is another one that I showed to people a lot as an episode to get them into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine that, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think people tend to spot it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, isn't it, because obviously watching it when you know it seems so obvious.
Speaker 2: So obvious, even the episode title, like everything about it is screaming it, but you think you're watching an entirely different story exactly.
Speaker 1: I was going to say as well, I wanted to compare this episode to probably an episode you didn't expect me to compare it to, which is Nana's Party, Okay, because of the way that they show you the end at the beginning. Yeah, and then you draw your own conclusions erroneously, and then you spend the whole thing thinking it's going to build up to how they got to that point, and then actually it's completely different to what you expect. And I quite like that as a device.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think about it. They do quite a lot of do it quite a lot of times where they let effectively have an entirely different story that isn't really the story, like deadline, like stage fight in a way, Like there's a lot that they do it quite a few different times where they'll have a fake story that then just sort of crumbles at the end and is actually to mask the real story. Yeah, but I think this is probably the one that sticks to it the longest. M Like, you don't know until about the last three minutes that this isn't the story you've been watching. Did you figure it out?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, I don't think so. But it's such a great moment when it Flandy clicks.
Speaker 2: So masterfully crafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But like we say so ballsy to how how many like little things there are? Like I know a lot of people myself included, won't know, but that Varney was the first vampire.
Speaker 1: Varney the vampire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he was one of, if not the first, like publicly known ones like in literature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you had.
Speaker 2: Pre dating Dracula, and also.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah by decades and decades. Yeah, yeah, and I think the first one to popularize the idea of having fangs like long teeth.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know that's much of other things.
Speaker 1: Like hypnotic powers and coming in through a window to attack someone, they all came from Varney the Vampire, not Dracula.
Speaker 2: No, and even the fact that he calls him at one point Varney the Vegan. Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I found that interesting because that's such a niche reference that it's surprising that the character would know that to make that reference, Like, I'm assuming he is alluding to Varney the Vampire. Otherwise why would he, I guess unless he's just because it's a literative he's just saying the vegan. But yeah, I felt like, you know, if anyone did know Varney the Vampire, then making that joke sort of throws you off the scent because it's like he's he's alluded to it, He's made a joke, and.
Speaker 2: There's nothing at that point really that screams no, this is something you should be watching out for. You've already sort of closed that option in your head before you've even considered it. I am intrigued to what. I guess it's probably boredom. Like, So, say, Valley's been around for presumably centuries, why's he decided to become a special police constable. Yeah, just for the fun.
Speaker 1: Of it, because I was googling this and it said that special police constables are volunteer policeman. Is that right? Yeah, so it's yeah. I mean he's not even getting paid for it.
Speaker 2: No, you have all the same powers pretty much as a regular police officer, you just don't get paid. It's pretty much exactly the same job, you just don't get paid for it. But I guess it's just a way into the police as well. Yeah, for people that want to do it. You show that you're good, yeah, true, on your spare time, and then they offer you a job eventually, yeah hopefully. But yeah, how how he's managed to get through all of the training and stuff? Did you start to go for training? Like presumably had to have his photo taken and stuff, Yeah, which I imagine didn't show.
Speaker 1: Up or there may be from his vampire stuff. He has the hypnotic powers and he's able to wheel his way in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or that the entire police service is run by vampires.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, see being human for that.
Speaker 2: I did. I think I've seen the first series for a very long time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I recommend it. But that's the other thing about vampire mythology is because there's so many different influences and there's so many different bits of law, you can choose your own bits and pieces and decide, oh, we'll do this one, but we won't do that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They did seem to go with all the main ones though, Yeah, I can't think of any that they specifically have left out. There could be ones would just never have come up in conversations.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't have come up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he might not be able to turn into a dog or whatever to missed or something, but it just was never relevant. So no, no, you don't know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but yeah, I like the fact that he doesn't reflect, like because I always think, you know, if you're doing a modern vampire story, technically that shouldn't be a thing because it used to be with mirrors backed with silver, which is why they don't reflect, And the same with cameras.
Speaker 2: Is it that they don't show in cameras for the same linked thing or is that an entirely different thing.
Speaker 1: I believe it's the same thing because they used to use silver in developing film or something, I think, right, But yeah, so modern vampires, I think this should be showing up. Yeah, but then it's you know, it's just all let old silliness, isn't it. The other thing is, obviously they're in a graveyard for this whole thing, and there's so many crosses about, and they're not supposed to like crosses. But then I think again, in this day and age, you don't have to necessarily go along with that.
Speaker 2: No, whichever ones he wants to stick to you in this situation, yeah, they don't. Also, they also don't sparkle like the weird Twilight ones too. Well yeah, so who knows.
Speaker 1: I love vampire stuff, m me too.
Speaker 2: That's one of the great things as well about this series in that it's a different story in a different world every episode. You can do a surprise thing like this exactly like so many times you know going in that it's going to be a vampire story or whatever. Mm hmm was he You can so easily no idea hide it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I find interesting about this is that it once again fits into their thing of doing something supernatural in the last episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't believe any of them were planned. They said, yeah, but that's when they would fall, but that they just did. I think it's is it every series so far.
Speaker 1: Not private view? You don't think that was supernatural? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, true.
Speaker 1: Other than that, I think they all have been. Really. I also like the really clever thing of using the speech at the beginning and the end and it taking on a completely different meaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end, it's so easily sets up for you that that's what's going to happen, Like, you don't even question it. It's like, well, he's going to die at some point, and how we get there? Yeah, and you're not left on that scene long enough for you to even question it.
Speaker 1: No, No, I wonder what I was thinking the first time, thinking, you know, what on earth happens to him? Yeah, it's quite a horrific shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me jump back to Night one. I like that it's even specifically Night one. You'd probably still have written Day one on anything else, like specifying that it's night that it's creatures of the night. Yeah, even though it's set at night, you probably would have still written day one, I imagine probably.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming this is just night one of what we're watching, because he mentions you did that last night. So this isn't night one for them, true, but it's not one for us. It's like act one of a three act structure, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one, the having to ask to come in, is probably the one that I think is the most ballsy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does seem the most of it, especially when they repeat it three times. Yeah, in the whole episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does it quite a lot, Like you get away with it, combining the permission he's got to have and to hold the coffees at the same time. You know, he's got this coffee, he's got no free it sort of makes sense absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That really kind of distracts you from it because it gives you an excuse. It gives him an excuse to be to be asking, because there's no reason otherwise why he would be asking to come in. No, and he doesn't actually mean can I come in? He just means can you open the door? Yeah, but it's it's a bit of a fudge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it just sounds like a weird choice of phrase, but yeah, hey, how you can't. He hasn't got any hands.
Speaker 1: He just he does sound so pathetic when he's like, can I come in? I did also want to mention the music and this.
Speaker 2: Is so good. Yes, the music is fantastic.
Speaker 1: And again they splashed out on real players. Okay, and it's again it's another aspect that makes you think it's so obvious because it sounds so gothic.
Speaker 2: And creepy and yeah.
Speaker 1: Almost Eastern European as well. Like yes, I mean it's just like some violin scales with like a massive delay on them.
Speaker 2: But it works so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very unsettling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I genuinely can't remember what I thought was going on in the first watch. I haven't been quite creeped out by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, toward the end, you can sense something bad is going to happen. Obviously I've been Shane Reese. Yeah. So anyway, so Tomo PC Thompson and Steve's character, he's obviously he's the superior, he is the proper police officer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Specials take issue with that, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Well anyone listening then sorry, And his previous partner died on the job.
Speaker 2: M about a month ago.
Speaker 1: So this is a classic like double act like two hander, the dynamic where you've got Thompson is this sort of seasoned Jade did one, and Varney's quite a contrast, like he's he's very sort of fussy and clean and you know, takes issue with some of the sort of disgusting things that Tomo likes to do. Yeah, like Peana Pringle's tube and.
Speaker 2: Stuff, the five tropes of comedic double acts or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it was kind of Waiting for god O esque. I mean, I'm not that familiar with Waiting for Godo. But there's another one, which was actually the first play I directed, which was everyone always goes what when I say this title. It's called Rosencrants and Gildenstern are Dead, Okay by Tom stop Hard And if you know it, you know how good it is. It's set in the wings of Hamlet.
Speaker 2: I think you might have mentioned it, and it's like two.
Speaker 1: Side characters in Hamlet and they're just like when the characters from Hamlet are off stage, they're just left on stage and they just like have nothing to do and they just talk to each other. Yeah, then it's Yeah, it's this sort of thing. It's like when you've got nothing to do except past the time, like the banality that comes up. Yeah, it's quite fun because.
Speaker 2: You can fill five minutes of conversation. What do you do with the other four hours?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hence why Tomo loves his riddles.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Obviously the coffin being the answer to the second one. Yet another vampire thing that hadn't clicked. Every time I watch it, I think I spot another one. Yeah, but somehow slip by the fact that he sees bats when he goes on his wonder Oh yes, yeah another one.
Speaker 1: The last one I noticed only last minute was when he says Reese says about oh I'm a bit long in the tooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every time there's a new one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a bit annoying with his riddles, isn't it. Yeah, the way he recites.
Speaker 2: Them like you said them a thousand times as well. Yeah, I mean, Vanney's only been paired with him for at most a month, and he's already fed up a bit, Like, what's it going to be like if they were working together, like four or five years, I'd find quite fun for the first night of two though, I like a good riddle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, and you know, word games and things fun.
Speaker 2: When I was on the cruise, they had a pub quiz where one of the rounds was riddles, and it was the most stupid idea because then everyone complains and argues that their answer is better. Yeah, and they had one that was the more you care for me, the less of me you have. Pause the audience suggestions.
Speaker 1: For Stephen to think about it. The more you care for me, the less of me you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I'd also interrupt all this and say the answer is stupid. And we argued about it.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I mean the first thing that popped into my mind was something like happiness or I don't know what. What was their answer?
Speaker 2: Well, our answer, which I thought was better, was the lawn. But the more you care for a lawn, the less of it you have. Because right away, yes, and I don't really like it, but it's okay. Their answer is a candle. I mean, I get there's less of it, but no one cares for a candle.
Speaker 1: That supposed to mean exactly is it just? Is it just because you trim it, don't you? When the wax is melted. Maybe that's what they mean, but that's yeah, lawn is better than candle.
Speaker 2: We didn't like it at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean how long did they give you to think about these?
Speaker 2: Not that long. I mean most of them are ones that had just come around. You'd heard them dozens of times.
Speaker 1: So I walks on four legs in the morning, Yeah, that kind of thing legs in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the river bed one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The one who makes it, sells it, who buys it never uses it, and the one who was it, the one who uses it, never knows that he's using it. What is it?
Speaker 2: Is it a towel? It's always a towel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking there. How can you never know you're using a top?
Speaker 2: I'm just dry? How did it happen? I'm never going to question it. No one that buys towels ever uses them for themselves, and the people that make towels are just permanently wet.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, it makes no sense, Vannie.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: We also get the nice little reveal that he is well told that he's a vegan, and then this says actually is more of a flexitarian, and he eats meat once a month. Yea, given the twist is that is that supposed to mean that he only needs once a month.
Speaker 2: I assume so because that's how long Dobbo has been dead for and sense, so presumably once a month. That is this version of vampires.
Speaker 1: Because obviously months and the moon. You we associate himre with were wolves. But I was reading that apparently the moon can be associated with all those kind of creatures, so they're made up.
Speaker 2: You can associate what you want.
Speaker 1: Well, it can be as in they have been considerably.
Speaker 2: Also associate them with a sparrowgus and bananas if you really want to out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's no tradition of that.
Speaker 2: Did you spot the nice little nod back to legal gentlemen.
Speaker 1: I didn't spot it, but I saw it on Google.
Speaker 2: But the goths come over from Leeds. I can't remember who said. I want to say it was Mark Gatis. Also outside references, did you notice in Night one at least that there seems to be a weeping angel in the middle of the review window?
Speaker 1: No, I did not know.
Speaker 2: It's very like Central Ah should have a little crossover of that would be fun. It's weird that you can cross over to vampires. But if Darlk's turned up, it would just be weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would be weird. But the chicken teak and.
Speaker 2: Missala because garlic bread would be too on the nose and would be obvious, but works so nicely.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, is that is that known for having a lot of garlic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you put garlic and onions in Okay, I mean you put garlic onions in pretty much everything. But well, yeah, it's just so subtle. But when you watch.
Speaker 1: Back, yes, I mean it's nice that they don't specifically say the word garlic at that point. They just say ore obsensitive to smells, yeah, because I think garlic would have been possibly too much stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's that nice mix of the things that you really think you should have seen, like the asking to be let in, Yeah, and then the little ones like the garlic of the you know, mentioning your bats and long in the tooth and stuff that are just you wouldn't have a question. It's such a good one for a rewatch when you can see through the fake story, the facade that they're trying to present the episode as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he just comes across as He's just being fussy, is he? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Yeah, he's just a bit weird and.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and you just say to him, you can eat it outside of the vehicle, but he just like he's just like oh fine and just like puts it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the smellad still be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But so Varney keeps trying to get Thompson to talk about Dobson and he doesn't like to talk about it.
Speaker 2: No, why do we reckon he is doing this? Is it just a sort of he's bored and he's playing with his food?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was wondering that because there's no reason why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could have killed him whenever he wanted. M I assume it's just he's lived for hundreds of years and like killing people's easy, so why not mess with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That plus vampires like the theatrics, don't they say? Maybe he's he liked the idea of pretending to be in a police drama. Yeah, a bit before dramatically revealing why not.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happens after this story, So the way with these episodes, you don't know what comes next.
Speaker 1: No, they go off into the distance with you know, their own spin off coming, Yeah, Fnnie and Dobson and yeah, when I wrote in one of my notes, I wrote Dobbo dobbos a vampire, and it also corrected to Dobby as a vampire.
Speaker 2: Dobby is a good vampire.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they also play Fortunately Unfortunately, which is a nice game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun. I never played it before. I don't know if it was invented for this.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I've heard of it before. Okay, it's the sort of thing you do in like drama clubs.
Speaker 2: And stuff, right IV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it's funny, how you know. It leads to the sort of Thompson having to say things he doesn't want to talk about and then only just been like, I realized now I should have let you do the Fortunately.
Speaker 2: He displayed the concerned friend quite well, actually, considering it's all a lie.
Speaker 1: He does so he feels guilty because he wasn't around. He'd gone for a takeaway.
Speaker 2: It's just the way it's such a serious scene. He's like, and I was at the takeaway waiting for Papa dumbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He mentions that Dobson had his throat slit.
Speaker 2: Well, presumably's exaggerating. It wouldn't have been it would just been a bite.
Speaker 1: Well you say that, but he stabs him in the neck at the end before he drinks. Yeah, so who knows.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm never sure on the They never really seem to specify in vampire things, what causes the victim to become a vampire and what causes the victim to just die? Oh.
Speaker 1: I think traditionally usually it's if they just drink from you, then you die. You have to drink their blood if there's be like a transfer, oh okay, like a mutual thing, right, in order to become one right, Okay, But I suppose it depends on the story.
Speaker 2: So how do you make Dobson drink his blood? Presumably you wouldn't particularly wanted to.
Speaker 1: I think the idea is that when you're being drained, they offer you that thing as like a way to save yourself. So some people take.
Speaker 2: It, okay, fair enough, because otherwise they just end up. We'd have about three or four years and then the whole world had been transformed and no one drink from and everyone be vampires.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So night two, we're back in the graveyard again.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the bit when they're driving around the graveyard slowly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was originally as well. I'd read that the two roles were the originally the other way around. Really yeah, And I'm not sure I might have misread, but I think the reason was that Reese doesn't drive, oh something, and then he did someone that could drive.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's why it got swapped. And I think they thought that it was a bit less obvious if Steve was the vampire in that Reese kind of almost looks like one.
Speaker 1: Anyway, exactly all of them is going to be a vampire. It's going to be Reese.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, that's interesting to imagine the other way around.
Speaker 2: I don't know what point they swapped it, but I think that was originally the plan. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five minutes before filming, you.
Speaker 2: Get a quick glance at the script. You wrote the thing. You don't need to learn the lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they have a chat about what it's like being on nights and Thompson can't sleep well during the day. No, but of course Vannie is used to sleeping during the.
Speaker 2: Day, sleeps like the dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The world it's crazy, isn't it. Once you know, and it's just like every it's pretty much every minutes. It's just sacking them up.
Speaker 2: Whenever I have shown people and when you hear all the lines, I'm like, this is too obvious. This is too obvious. They're going to figure it out.
Speaker 1: And you think, oh god, they're gonna Yeah, they're gonna guess.
Speaker 2: I think the one that gets closest, and I said that with the with the being en thing is is they're not driving over the bridge. Well, so that's coming up in a minute. Yeah, that feels the most weird, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest, I think that is. Yeah, it's the most hard to explain. But it depends how well you know your folklore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's quite an obscure part of the mythology that they're doing, like going over running water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the less well known ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, that is one of the most obviously if you do know, because otherwise, why is he suddenly like, no, no, you can't go over the bridge of the bridge.
Speaker 2: What would have happened if you did burst into flames of who knows? Yeah, this version of vampire is what happens. But yeah, I also want to know how they could have gone somewhere that didn't require going over a bridge. That going over a bridge would have led to as well. Yeah, there must have been like a second bridge that un like bend in a river, yeah or something, and they just went the long way around. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Or it's this bridge just over the very beginning of a river, like right by this ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the thing, you know. I was saying about the tension between Reese and the producer, and the producer was saying that he guessed the twist from that bit when he was reading the script about the bridge, right, and Reese was like, he just fully just said to him, I don't believe you. I said, I don't believe that you know your vampire foot or that well that you got from that.
Speaker 2: But I guess it's it's probably a lot easier to see things in a script.
Speaker 1: It is, yes, because it has to be there in black and white, yeah, rather than just thrown away.
Speaker 2: Whereas when you say it, yeah, you can you can, yeah, you can make it disappear.
Speaker 1: Absolutely No. I do agree with that.
Speaker 2: I think it must be much harder to write, say a murder mystery or whatever, than it is to film or put a play on or whatever. For what, Oh, definitely, yeah, because you literally have to write down all of the clues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the reader is in control of the pace of their reading and everything, whereas when you've got an actor doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you also have the benefit of you can bury it in the middle ean lines of rambling, like descriptions of curtains and stuff like, yeah, like the Stephen King method.
Speaker 1: Well, descriptions of other things as well well. So is this the scene where control Radio is in.
Speaker 2: And finally realizing they're not where were they meant to be?
Speaker 1: I love how he tries to be all professional. My partner is currently on a comfort break and it just evolves down to you mean he's having a piss Dobson is going tinkles?
Speaker 2: Is it me?
Speaker 1: Or did the control woman sound very much like Sean Gibson, like Leanne and Bernic Clifton.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can see.
Speaker 1: The accent of the voice is exactly the same. So they're supposed to be seeking out a flat and a dock side, not a graveyard. So I like this as well because it's a nice big red herring that you start to think, oh, okay, this is the plot. Thomas Dodgy, He's hiding things because also like he's had all the status this whole time. Reese has been this underdog, which is so good, like at the end when it flips and you realize that actually he's had the power the whole time.
Speaker 2: Hm. I do wonder what how long Thompson thought you could get away with this for well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he's thinking great, to be honest, but.
Speaker 2: If, in theory is a drug bust about to happen, like, how on earth is he going to explain why he wasn't where he was meant to be. No exactly, but yeah, like you said, it's just not thinking.
Speaker 1: But he's just obsessive, isn't he. Yeah, so yes, they do then drive to the docks to pursue the suspect.
Speaker 2: Weird for inside number nine. We get to go somewhere else. We're still in the car. Though still in the car. I have no issues. I have no issues.
Speaker 1: But it's nice that number nine is mobile today. Also, so the reason he's been in the graveyard is because Stubbo's buried there and supposedly his grave was vandalized, and he thinks they might come back. Yes, and he says about the lid of them being smashed in. Yes, is the idea that actually that was him smashing his.
Speaker 2: Way out, Yeah, it is my take of it.
Speaker 1: That was what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, however, this is one of my few criticisms of the episode. It doesn't make any sense though to me then that surely Dabo is not then in the coffin anymore. He smashed his way out. Yeah, surely the police that found the grave desecrated would question why the body wasn't there anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well maybe the Yeah, the people who vandalized it stole it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I guess, but you think that would be a bigger crime, like.
Speaker 1: Oh, like stealing a body, yeah, grave snatching. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: You think he would have mentioned that and they took his body as well, unless he still is. Unless he just broke out to go for a wander and then he went back.
Speaker 1: And then he went back to have a kip as he sleeps in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe maybe actually know that doesn't make sense. Yeah, he's maybe broke out. Varney's confound him, you know, talked to him, told him what the deal is and told him to go back and wait, go back to sleep for another few weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can square enough, it's okay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they eventually get to the where this dodgy drugs person is. Tomo gets out to investigate gun shots. Oh, gunshots. Yeah, and this is where I think this is where Varney finds the murder weapon in the glove box.
Speaker 2: He does. So we get a little bit of newspaper cuttings and place reports and stuff. Oh, yes, ruffling through, which seems I think there's a time and a place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, it can wait.
Speaker 2: But I guess at the end of the like Varney doesn't care, like presumably he's immortal, so he doesn't care about this drugs buss going wrong, like he's got all the time in the world as far as he cares. Yeah, it just seems a bit jarring to us as the audience. They don't know.
Speaker 1: And I'm guessing that's why he's able to then take them down so easily when there's more gunshots and he just comes away unharmed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like all of those gunshots might have gone into VARNI yeah, because well he wouldn't be armed. No, So yeah, I wonder how what he did to them, like in terms of what he did that you could then explain away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the lamp was supposed to have extra special strength, aren't they say?
Speaker 2: Probably just obviously you couldn't just like rip them limb for limb or whatever do something that control.
Speaker 1: Knock them out in some way. Yeah, so night three mm. The windows in this scene they look all frosted up. It is frost, isn't It's not just like rain.
Speaker 2: I guess it's frost. It kind of. I mean, there's a bit with the windscreen wipers later where it doesn't just immediately clear off. So I'm thin frost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's the atmosphere. He brings him a ChIL arte, which I had to call out because Ben bought some of that this winter and I got to try some for the first time and I, oh, I love it. Okay, I'm so hooked on it still. It's my new favorite winter drink.
Speaker 2: What is it? I don't actually know what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, the one we get is in a powdered form and you add a tiny bit of milk and some hot water, and it is I know, like Steve's character says, it's like drinking a mince pie. It kind of is a little bit. It's sort of you know, like slightly spiced, and it's just the perfect sort of winter warmer. So Camp.
Speaker 2: Just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I still have forgiven you for last episode what you said about and being camp something alm those lines you Camp, surely not something, but you laughed. I went to Ben afterwards and I said, Yan to call me Camp, and you went, you are Camp. Get over it.
Speaker 2: No, you're big and rugged and manly.
Speaker 1: Well I try, right, So anyway, next bit, that's.
Speaker 2: I'm scared and I like it. That's what forgot Next. My notes sort of stopped here. I got too carried away.
Speaker 1: Varney confronts Tomo about having stolen the murder weapon and taking the lord of his own hands. Again. I don't know why he's doing this. Why does it matter?
Speaker 2: Hm? I guess there's an element still here of trying to like preserve the fake story for the audience's benefit. Well, yeah, you've got to do lots of things to still maintain that.
Speaker 1: This is what we always say every week. Do me that the twist it has to work both ways?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And yeah, I don't get I don't. I mean, there must be there must be a way to explain it, but I don't really understand it.
Speaker 2: He's still just like trying to play with Tomo, and I guess he wants him to break down, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: And then you get this whole weird thing of Tomo getting all aggressive and accusing Varney wearing a wire. I don't know, it just sort of it feels like they're building to a climax of an episode that this is not, isn't it, like you said, to try and sort of lull you into thinking that this is what the episode's about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still think it all works from Tomo's point of view. Oh yeah, Like ultimately he doesn't really know who this person is, and he does keep asking a lot of questions about his partner, and yeah, is Finny there, like you know, is he actually a therapist or something that's like been put in to try and talk, or like you say, is he try and get information out of him that he's corrupt or whatever?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I think there are plenty of alternative stories that this could have been.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I think they do a good job of constructing this fake story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sorry, I was thinking about tea bag hand warmers. Yeah, that's quite funny. Would you like a tea bag. Oh no, I've got my child out it.
Speaker 2: Well, like you're just going to suck on a tea bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to say, like, I don't know what the point of the tea bag handwarmer thing is, but you know it's quite funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then it's that great hot and cold shower thing. Yeah, because then obviously you get the fuck.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, and then it goes creepy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hate stuff like this when there's like a bang on the roof and oh my god, someone's got to get out to see what it was, but you don't want to get out. Yeah, it's really.
Speaker 2: Scary, it is. It is creepy. I know what's going to happen, and every time I still get the goosebumps at this bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It's a bit when when Reese goes like wait there or something and you think no, don't, no, don't even though you know.
Speaker 2: Then he disappears forever. Yeah, it's really creepy.
Speaker 1: Yes, creepy things to do with cars always freaked me out. I don't know why. It's something about.
Speaker 2: You in the dark.
Speaker 1: You're just sort of in this metal box and it's a bit like, yeah, creepy.
Speaker 2: And especially when you have the un dead climbing over the bonnet.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's so indistinct through the frosted window.
Speaker 2: So stupid though the windscreen wipers. It just seems so silly. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why, Well that he just disappears when the.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, the fact that there's a shape coming up and he's getting scared that it cuts to him just just.
Speaker 1: A might that, yeah, there's a spider on the windscreen or something. Surprised he didn't do the like the washer jets, but holy water in your washerattle?
Speaker 2: And then he's gone, and it's it's done nicely in that, you know, is he dreaming? It? Still like we don't know yet quite what's going on.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. I didn't think I thought vampire. No, when he's climbing on the bonnet.
Speaker 2: I still think I thought that he was like going crazy. Yeah, and you know he just mentioned before that he sees him everywhere, and how much of that is actually might well be seeing him? Like I know there's only this time when we know that he sees the real Dubbo, but he thinks he's seeing him all over the place. Might well be m m I know it's necessary for the cold open to work, and it frames it nicely and all the stuff with the mirrors, But why does he get into the back seat of the car. Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Nobody's got no need to No, he's been in the front the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get that it's it's probably to make it easier to attack him, but he could have done that just as easily from the front seat.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say it's for the rear view mirror and the theatrics.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, we know the vampires like the theatrics. He's just like, that's the best angle to do that reveal from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It takes a little while though, for Tomo to realize that he's not in the mirror. And I think if someone was talking behind you, you'd probably immediately look in the mirror and look at them.
Speaker 1: Yes, you would, But.
Speaker 2: I suppose there's been the whole thing. He's just been thrown by Yeah, double on the bonnet, and he's not thinking.
Speaker 1: And I guess you just if you couldn't see him in the mirror from where you're sitting, you just assume the angle.
Speaker 2: Out of you. Yeah, and it's dark and yeah, because your mind wouldn't immediately go to your friend's a vampire.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the big reveal hm hmm. And I love the way he still that what are these the top five tropes of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's just it all just clicks as well. It's so beautiful at that point. Yeah, and then you know, and then you can if you you know, your memory is good enough, you'll remember back to the beginning and you'll be like, oh, this makes that like how it's going to end?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, I've really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: The lack of realization on Thompson's face, like, Okay, apparently this is where we are now. Oh, well, I guess I'm going to die.
Speaker 1: Yes. I think that's why it's such a powerful twist is because you've got two such strong genres of the police drama and the vampire genre. They're too they've got such a strong identity, and they're so a million miles away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they never know that's that's just not a ven diagram that crosses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the character suddenly realizes he's in a different story to what he thought he was in. Yeah, so yes, he feeds he.
Speaker 2: Does for an inordinately long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's very graphic. He's really chomping away, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Rees said that he was just in his head showing cut Now we keeping going, okay, and I think the director said that he was. He took it as a personal like point of pride that he managed to get Reese to be even uncomfortable in the scene. M but just go on forever, Yeah, presuly, just like there'll just be someone on the side squirting blood out of a little tube out of his neck. That then, like Reese is sort of like has been covered in Yeah, about twenty seconds.
Speaker 1: And yeah, of course, then we get to find out that Dobbo is a vampire as well, now sired by Varney.
Speaker 2: Indeed and let into the car.
Speaker 1: Yes. I like how he calls him my child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes all theatric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that's when we go back to the beginning. So Varney sort of sits back. I'm guessing he's in some sort of you know now he's says she he's sort of in some sort of ecstatic sort of torpa, which is why he looks like he's dead.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, he's just enjoying at the moment.
Speaker 1: The sensation, yeah, because I mean, you know, we laugh. But like, vampires in literature have always been associated with sexuality and like that kind of thing, so like the feeding is quite a sexual act. So him sort of rolling over afterwards and being like, oh, just you know, that's very.
Speaker 2: Gets a cigarette and start smoking.
Speaker 1: How was it for you, darling, Yeah yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Read as well. I can't really notice it, but apparently each night they subtly changed Reese's makeup to make him paler, to make him paler each night.
Speaker 1: I did think he looked a bit pale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to tell. I think been the lighting and the lighting changing every night anyway. Yeah, yeah, yeah, apparently it was a conscious choice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's getting near and nearer to the point when he needs to feed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so. Yeah, and then it'll be bright and sprightly the next night. I also enjoy Dovo's outfit makes him look incredibly creepy. Obviously would be buried in his like police like finest, but it's so creepy, especially with the like the makeup on him to make him look so definitely Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very very creepy looking, and his teeth. His fangs are really like something.
Speaker 2: They're very well done, very impressive. Yeah, really sells it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always amusing in these things when the vampires are sort of in their most human looking form and they've got normal teeth, and then when they're about to feed, suddenly the fangs appear. It's like they've got them in their their pocket and they've got to swap them over like dentires. Hang on a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this episode.
Speaker 1: It's really good, isn't it. It's really good, really good, very clever.
Speaker 2: Very very clever, and such a like. It encapsulates everything, like it's got the characters, it's got the dark comedy, it's got the horror, it's got the gore, it's got the you know everything twists.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, which case rating?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ratings. I mean it's an easy nine for me personally. Yeah, I love it. I think it's a great one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that. I mean I'm looking at a similar end. Yeah, I don't know what I think. I'm thinking an eight. I'm not sure what it is that holds me back from the nine, but it's just a gut feeling and.
Speaker 2: Once you get up to the eight, nine. It's just about how it makes you feel, I guess in a way exactly. So.
Speaker 1: I think the one thing that holds me back is the like we were saying, it does feel a bit strange how much Reese's character goes on about trying to find out what Thompson has been doing. It just doesn't seem when you find that the twist doesn't seem to really fit, that he would be that bothered. I guess to that extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's.
Speaker 1: A mine and mine and minor criticism. Cool, I'm dreading what you're going to ask me next.
Speaker 2: Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: Well? No, but I've got I mean, I've got a couple of theories. Yeah, am I allowed to guesses because I have two ideas?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: My first thought was it could be in the glove box when he's no, no. My other one was the newspaper cuttings. It's in a picture in the newspaper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of. It's quite big. Actually, if if you are looking out for it, and you know where to look out for, it's quite obvious. It's like a half a page of a newspaper.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, because I guess where else would it be it wouldn't make sense in the car anywhere.
Speaker 2: So no, yeah, it'd be very jarring the matter where it was so yeah, cool, Well we're here again.
Speaker 1: We are. We've come to the end of series five. We have and we like to celebrate the end of a series with a big old quiz.
Speaker 2: We do. And I'm starting to get scared because after this point it starts to get to the episodes I've maybe only watched once. Really, I don't know these ones anywhere near as well. Okay, I'm going to struggle, and this is why I really need the points.
Speaker 1: Well, so we've had our questions checked.
Speaker 2: Two thirds of them were fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, So unfortunately we have to change two of them at the last minute because we got the same questions and annoyingly, my question for this episode you alluded to.
Speaker 2: Oh I wondered if I did. I thought your face dropped at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I'm like, do I need to come up with quickly another one? But we shall see. No, you would say that because you want the point. I well, we'll start with the referees of anka.
Speaker 2: I'll let you go first.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, I know you don't like numbers. I don't, but at which minute of the match was the controversial throwing awarded?
Speaker 2: You said they weren't too bad this week.
Speaker 1: This is probably the worst.
Speaker 2: One, okay, but it's an the first half, so it's at least in the first forty five minutes. Oh, it was around about thirty eight minutes.
Speaker 1: Is that your answer?
Speaker 2: I think? Yeah? Why not?
Speaker 1: No, it was twenty six. Sorry. I found it tough to think of a question for that episode, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So my question, what year was Brendan at the Sands rout? Oh?
Speaker 1: I have no idea? Good ninety something? Ninety seven?
Speaker 2: No, okay, And here I pulled the right answer right up my ass, ninety two.
Speaker 1: Two, I said ninety something. I should remember that's my year of birth. Anyway, death be not proud.
Speaker 2: We both went for who's David and Emily's favorite chat the for victim?
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite quite ironically. Oh yeah, so my my alternative question is which killer did David have on his forehead? On a post?
Speaker 2: It Edgane was on Maureen's? Oh who was on his? I know this, but I'm not going to get it. I want to say cripping, but I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: You're correct.
Speaker 2: Oh, good, because he only killed one person, didn't.
Speaker 1: There's always no serial killer and killed his wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was then in my head thinking I've heard of cripping. I'm sure he's killed more people, so it can't be him. But okay, I'm happy your question. How much is Maureen's Mother's day cardigan up for sale for at Wood Green's Dog's Trust.
Speaker 1: Oh? Three pounds? Oh you've put a lot of the No any thirty p thirty p you have to my first answer? You do bollocks. I knew I had a three in it and you had a three in it.
Speaker 2: Who's paying three pounds for that thing? Wow? She's been dead in it for a good long time.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: No, you better get some right because I feel like you're letting me win otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I'm not believe me right, Love's Great Adventure.
Speaker 2: Oh god, this is going to be awful.
Speaker 1: This is a dead easy one. Oh okay, what tune does the Singing Christmas Tree play?
Speaker 2: Oh? You say you say these things are easy, and I'm not. Okay. I almost went and I almost did a rewatch. I couldn't bring myseltery watch there. It's that rock and roll Christmas? Well?
Speaker 1: Is that even a song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's not this one.
Speaker 1: No it's not. No, No, I don't know, good King Wencesless?
Speaker 2: Oh is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough? This one seems so cruel. What pub was Patrick seen at on day fourteen?
Speaker 1: The stag?
Speaker 2: A fuck off? I thought that was really cruel.
Speaker 1: That just was in my heads.
Speaker 2: What day was Christmas on that year?
Speaker 1: The question the December.
Speaker 2: Day of the week, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one with the y in the day anyway. Misdirection in the famous Mount Weasel mentioned by Jenny. What did the encyclopedia say Colombo's first name was?
Speaker 2: Colombo's actual first name is let alone? Won't I to knock one name off the list of all the people that could be Horatio?
Speaker 1: I don't know, No, it's Philip.
Speaker 2: Oh my question for you. Willie wished his diary to be Pastor Gabriel when he reached what.
Speaker 1: Age twenty five?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: It isn't it? Yeah? Because I remember thinking he looked I thought the character was younger than that, And then when he said that, I thought, oh, I didn't realize he was meant to be that old. Oh yeah, that's why it stuck in my head. Sorry, Okay, okay, okay, okay, it's two to one.
Speaker 2: To make a Yeah, this feel familiar?
Speaker 1: No, no, no thinking out loud.
Speaker 2: Yeap.
Speaker 1: What's the name of Nadia's husband?
Speaker 2: I can't even remember him having a name. The only name that's jumping out to me is Andrew, but I don't think it is that.
Speaker 1: It was Tim. I was considering either that or what was her daughter's name. I don't know if you'd have known that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that either. I was considering that as a question.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well you should have done.
Speaker 2: I should have done. Okay, now this feels awful, but equally it might not be. And I hope it is right, and I'm considering asking a more detail, but I won't. Diana sings two songs during the episode, Amazing Grace and an aria by who and if you get it right? I want to know what the aria is called, but I will have to go.
Speaker 1: I did become in any danger of getting it right. I remember it was. It's something in a foreign language, like Italian or something. I can hear it in my head, but I don't know who wrote it or what it's called. So pass it's a puccini, okay, And what's the aria called no idea.
Speaker 2: I did have it written down. Oh. I did start to write it down, and I was like, no, this is too cruel for me. So I just went with the person cause I thought you might happen to.
Speaker 1: Know that it's the sort of thing I would know fair, But I didn't. Good, So it's still two to one. Yeah, this episode the stakeout, Oh, that means I suppose we'd better go with the question that. But then that, No, there's no tension in that because I know.
Speaker 2: You know, well I might have forgotten.
Speaker 1: I'm going to come up with another one super quick.
Speaker 2: Bear with was it who said the goths line? In?
Speaker 1: No? It was what was PC Thompson waiting for? When one? Yeah, as soon as you said it, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, this one's such a hard one to come up with questions for. It is because they're not specific about anything and everything they do mention is only like small numbers or yes.
Speaker 1: And then I mean, shall we tell listeners what are one that we both came up with us as well.
Speaker 2: It was really cruel. How many cows are there per person in Uruguay?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Three point seven? Okay? When control is on the radio, what designation do they give the.
Speaker 2: Car oscar nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I thought it was easy, but yeah, it was either that of popa dooms.
Speaker 2: There are so few things like I was even at one point considering asking you what the license plate number of the car is the second and you thought it was awful.
Speaker 1: Well, so we're currently on two two, so we are depends on this.
Speaker 2: You're going to get this. How many drinks are waiting for Varney at the pub after his heroics?
Speaker 1: You say, I'm going to get this. I've got a clue.
Speaker 2: Oh good, which means a draw.
Speaker 1: If I lose this? Yes, three.
Speaker 2: About six?
Speaker 1: About six? Okay? No, I had no clue about that.
Speaker 2: One, And you could argue if you'd said five that five was about six. But three is not about six?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, it is a draw? Is a draw? Oh poor you.
Speaker 2: Well, we've had more drawers than you've had wins, so I'm counting that as somewhat of a win.
Speaker 1: True, but at least I've had some wins.
Speaker 2: And it's only going to get harder because I don't know these very well.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see, we'll see another draw, dug dug.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 1: So that was a good series.
Speaker 2: It was it was other than that's great adventure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're always good.
Speaker 2: To be honest, they're always good. Yeah they might not be a cup of tea, but they're always good in some way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just before we go, I wanted to read another really sweet message that we got. Oh, this one came in from Daniel.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Daniel, he says, Hi, I just wanted to message and say thanks for the pod. Started the new series today and loving it as always. I made my best mate Nicole watch Inside Number nine last year. She was reluctant to start at first, then within a month had finished the show. She loved it so much she went down the rabbit hole brackets hair hole or does that sound too rude? And she found you guys, after which she introduced the pod to me. I've loved the show ever since. Excited for your episode on the Steakout, my favorite episode. Love Christian Henson's music particularly, But the first time I watched at the Vampia twist knocked me for six, despite how obvious it was upon a rewatch, keep up the awesome work. Thank you, Daniel. Thanks Daniel and Nicole. Yes, I said I was going to read this out and Daniel said, oh, that would be awesome. She'll piss herself when she hears it, so apologies Nicole, but yes, thank you for that. We're glad you enjoy. So will be back in due course for series six.
Speaker 2: And we will tell you where our ha'ir from today was, so you will have to.
Speaker 1: Wait until then. I think it's time to close the car door on number nine.
Speaker 2: If you're a vampire, you never ever leave.
Speaker 1: Or you can never come in anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that would have been bad.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.