Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait. I cannot wait for September tenth. Cannot wait. Oh my god, this is gonna be mussy TV. And I swear to god, you don't even have to be into politics, you really don't. You do not have to be in the politics to want to see this. This is going to be incredible. This is going to be a phenomenal debate. Unbelievable. I'm gonna I have some comments on this coming up. I am like a caddickt Christmas. I have no idea and if I look both candidates, by the way, I'm Gary Tagway. If it didn't Y Nicole mentioned that, thank you very much. I appreciate that Dan is off this week. This is Nightside here until twelve midnight. I'll run down the show for you in just a minute here. But when the announcement came down that September tenth is gonna be the debate, it's going to be in Philadelphia. You can listen to it here in WBZ Boston's news radio. You can also catch it on the iHeart mobile app, which you should have you on your phone. I mean, if you don't. I don't really understand why not. But the iHeart mobile ops tremendous. I just can't wait to see these two go at it a Vice President Harrison former President Donald Trump, and I know they It's so funny to me. It's so comical that Trump's party, or at Trump's people, they want the rules, right, I mean, they want the rules they want Okay, this is this is the deal. Trump announced on truth Social that he has accepted the September tenth debate on ABC under the same conditions of the June CNN debate. So here are the rules. Microphone will only be turned on when it is there turned to speak. Wait a minute, I thought this is probably Trump's people talking to try to protect him from himself, because if he leaves the microphone on, he's gonna blow it. He's just he won't be able to control himself. Also, no studio audience, which I think sucks. You have to have a studio audience for a debate. Come on, you gotta. I think they should do it like the price is right, and I think they should have an announcer. Donald Trump, come on down, Kamala Harris, come on down. You have to have a studio audience. You have to have some juice. Maybe he could have some celebrities, you know in the audience, various people. Jennifer Lopez. Hey, Jennifer Lopez is here today. She's in the audience. Uh, what else here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: The candidates are not allowed to talk to their staff during breaks, that's fine, or bring any with them, that's fine. They can only have a pen and a pad and a bottle of water. Is that just one bottle of water? Is that just one o? You only allowed one bottle of robber water? H The consumer of entertainment wants the mics turned on. If you want to see a bleep show, if you want to see just a twenty five car pile up on a stage, you want the mics on. You do you want these two to go at it? If you want to be reasonable, if you want to be a person of education, if you want to be a little high brow, you want the microphones off. I love it. You know in the past when Harris Well, she did it in the past vice president vice presidential debates, right, which is a sir, mister vice president, I'm speaking, mister vice president. I'm speaking. Here's the thing with Harris and she was okay with CNN and Dana Bass, she was okay. The problem is Harris sometimes isn't forceful enough when she says something. I mean, I said this last night. Rob Brooks is with us back. Rob, good to see you again on the other side of the window. I'm sure you are listening on your night off. If you were, you have a problem. But Donald Trump will say garbage tastes great with peanut butter when the sky is pink, and people will go absolutely because he says it with such enthusiasm and such conviction. I do believe that Vice President Harris is trying to be correct, but sometimes she waffles in what she's saying. She stumbles a little bit, she thinks about it. Let's face it, when it comes to the presidential election, why worry about being right? Why worry about being accurate? It doesn't matter because the guy that's never been accurate got elected and he continues to be in the race, and he still may win. So when you look at the score sheets and it won't even bother anymore. You know, the fact checks when Trump speaks, I mean, it's a mile long. Nobody cares if you're gonna vote for Trump. You're going to vote for Trump, whether he has thirty misfacts if you will, or lives or whatever you want to call it, on a list nobody. It's not going to change anybody's mind, Like all of a sudden, somebody's not going to look at them and say, oh, you got that wrong. I'm gonna vote for him. It's not gonna happen. And when they've done a fact check with Vice President Harris and I will admit that I haven't looked at every one of them. But this is a couple of things, you know, like you know, there's a gray area. I think there was a fact check after the C and N interview, and there was a couple of things that maybe she wasn't exact on, but she was in the neighborhood, not like not like Trump. I mean, it's just he just doesn't care. And you know something, why should Donald Trump care? The facts don't matter and he still could be president again, so he's gonna keep doing what he's doing. If the microphones stay on, I think she will destroy Trump. And that's what he's worried about. If the microphones stay on, she destroys Trump. You know why, because that's when she's at her best. I'll tell you right now. And this is what I thought the problem with Secretary of State Clinton was. And Hillary Clinton is a brilliant woman. We all know that, and there was there was just a misconnection. She didn't connect with women in some areas. I think Kamala Harris connects with women. I think Kamala Harris connects with her bas big time. I think she's increased the base quite frankly, with the brats and the young Democrats and people who are now going to vote that weren't even thinking about voting for the two old geezers before. And I think that's going to be the difference. I mean, if you said, right now, Tangue, what's going to happen, I'll say, I think Harris is gonna win. And I think it's going to be because of the young people who turn out. That's what I think is gonna I think it's gonna be close as hell. Do I know she's gonna be a good president. I have no idea. I have no idea. I mean, look, Trump had the job, he's more qualified than her, right if he had the job, already, nobody trusts him. I mean, he's out of his mind. I don't know if she can do it. She was picked as a vice president, you know, with Joe Biden, probably because they wanted to appeal to certain sections that Joe Biden wouldn't appeal to. And now she's going to be president. I don't think this was anybody's plan, but that's what happens a lot. I mean, look, Harry Truman, we talked about it last night. Vice presidents or people who became great presidents and surprise people, and Harris could be one of them because this is what she does well, and this is why she was I think successful as a prosecutor is if she gets pissed off, she will go for the jugular with him. We've seen it before when she tries to be smart and intelligent and keep the gloves on I shouldn't say intelligent. When she keeps the gloves on. When she tries to play nice and is very cautious with her words, that's when she gets in trouble. When she gets passionate about something, that's when she's awesome. So my advice to Kamala Harris would be, don't think, just go after him. Don't think, just do. I think it is going to be fantastic television. It is going to be fantastic television. And I hope there's more than one. I don't know if they could squeeze them all in. I mean, Kenny, what we got, what the hell are Yeah? Maybe you could do another one in thirty days. I'm gonna be glued to the TV man. I mean, this is gonna be to meet from me watching Kamala Harris and Donald Trump go out and the presidential election will be like watching. It's gonna be Sunday at one or Monday night football or the NBA Finals. I cannot wait for this. I think it's gonna be awesome. And if they leave the mics on, she will shred him, shred him, That's what I think. That's why he wants the mics off. So if you want the show, keep the mics on. If you want an intellectual conversation, boring, keep them off. All right, Coming up here on wc's Night, said Gary Tankway from the again for Dan Ray. Chris Bauer, who is one of my favorite actors. You may not know the name, but you know the shows he's been in Frank from the Wire, He's in The Gemstones, I'm sorry, not the Jemstones. The Gemstones was last night. He's in Eels as wild Bill. He's a terrific actor, has been in a number I mean, he's got one hundred and six credits. It's phenomenal, just absolutely phenomenal. So True Blood was in True Blood played the drug addicted sheriff. So he's going to join us coming up at ten o'clock. And I love to give attention to actors who deserve it, you know, like the Michael Mallleys of the world or the Donnie Wahlbergs of the world, who are phenomenal character actors. And Bauer is right there, and my friend the freak from the Left Coast, mister Moderate Sam Metha, joins us at ten o'clock. He's got a lot to say about both sides of the aisle with this. Coming up next, Samantha Gross is going to join us from the Boss Globe. Why the hell should we did something happen today? Politically in mass was there an elect did something happen? She's going to tell us next on wbz's Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Gary tagway for tonight. There was something going on politically today. Samantha Gross is going to join us here from the Boston Globe.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the primaries in which well, as one would expect that the Democrats many people running out of post. Nonetheless, Samantha got the assignment from the Globe. Samantha fill us in, how was it today? How was it? Was this the easiest gig ever?
Speaker 4: It definitely was quieter than than other elections I've covered. But yeah, there there was a primary election you know today across the state in Massachusetts, believe it or not, and there were some interesting races to follow. But it definitely, you know, was a quieter, quiet cycle for primaries than in the past.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that and we'll get it to this how I want your opinion, or at least shed some light on those other races that are imported. But obviously Elizabeth Warren, I mean that she's the big name, she's running an opposed and there are three Republicans competing today and the results and yet I'm not even sure I was just checking they're not.
Speaker 4: Some precincts are reporting, but it's a really low percentage, so it's really hard to say, but yeah, you know, there are three Republicans that were running, you know, to hopefully compete against Senator Elizabeth Warren in November. Bob antonellis who's an engineer, Ian Kayan has a Quincy City Council president, and John Deeton is an attorney.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, now Deeton, this was interesting. I read in your column or your article that Deeton moved from Rhode Island to Massachusetts to run for office. I mean that's what I assume he did, and he was considered the front runner, and I think that's unique. I mean, he's a carpentbagger kind of right.
Speaker 4: It's interesting. Yeah, he doesn't have a long history in Massachusetts, but he does have the best funded campaign. He loaned himself a million dollars, so you know, money goes far. You can put out a lot more advertisements, you know, send bigger mailers and have a bigger presence. So it'll be interesting to see, you know, how much money plays a role in that campaign.
Speaker 2: Did they have a shot at putting a dent in Warren? I mean putting a dent? She said, damn popular, and she's a force.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's difficult. She's She's really popular in Massachusetts and the state, you know, writ large is just very deep blue, and so you know it'll be interesting. I think that it's raised, you know, some awareness about kind of cryptocurrency, which has been a really big talking point for a lot of the folks in this race, specifically Ian Kane and John Deaton. But you know, we'll see because what.
Speaker 2: With crypto, Because what's the deal with crypto? Because I know friends of mine that have had it. I stay away from it. I mean, I do well to handle dollar and sense what's the issue there? What are they what are they looking to push it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know, Elizabeth Warren has been one of the biggest kind of vocal you know, uh just critical critic uh critics of blockchain and cryptocurrency. That's been a long day. And you know Ian Kane he co founded a blockchain technology company. You know, John Deaton has has put money towards crypto, and so I think it's kind of just been you know, a piece of Warren's reputation that they've been able to kind of latch onto because it is really popular and you know, there's a lot of money in those communities to to boost those campaigns. Do you have, Crypto, I personally do not afgre why you know.
Speaker 2: You know why? You know why Smith, Because we don't have enough money. That's why. I mean people that I have. I have a friend of mine that is loaded. I mean now I'm talking loaded, Yes, Crypto. You know why, because if it goes south, he's still okay. You know, That's the way I look at it. I mean, if you get involved in that stuff, you better have enough in the in the war chest, you know when I head south to be able to handle it. I was also reading reading today that the Governor's Council is what fourteen people running for the chindig and what did they do?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, the Governor's Council is one of the buzzier races. You know, there's a lot of folks running for a couple of seats on the Governor's Council. They do kind of you know, it's obscure, but they do important things. You know, they confirm judges. They you know, they review pardon recommendations from the governor. You know, things that have a lot of sway in the state. But yeah, a lot of people don't know what they do. A lot of people don't even know who their governor's counselor is. But yes, it's become a buzzy racist cycle for sure.
Speaker 2: Well you got some juice with it, I mean because when I read it when they said that the pardons, and I think you can probably elaborate on this more than me. They're a number of different pardons, correct, I mean we're not necessarily talking about somebody that's good pardons for being wrongly corrected, for a capital motor or something like that, convicted, I should say. But you know, if you have the ability to pardon someone at a number of levels, that's a very powerful position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're also in politically charged you know, these this is these are recommended, you know, by the governor and so you know, depending on the administration, it can look really different, and so they operate pretty you know, in relative obscurities, I think the way how we framed it in our story. But they do have a lot of power, yeah, when it comes to pardons, and yeah, judicial nominees who obviously you know, play a really important role in our communities across Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, especially when you talk about the judicial nominees, because I've known a lot of lawyers and attorneys, and they love the judge. Ship man, you're on the back nine, get them out a bench and they can just cruise. You know. I had a friend of mine. It was actually a judge. I don't know if I should be surn or not. He was brilliant, a brilliant man. And I said to him, how how do you do it? Sometimes? How do you like listen to all of this all day long? Said? Sometimes I balance my check book while I'm listening. Sometimes I lift my feet off the floor so I don't fall asleep. And I said, wow, man, that's crazy. But the guy was brilliant, so I mean he could. He could. He was certainly well prepared. They're like, balance his check book and listen to a court case. Anything else interesting today, any other nugget or something you could share with us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like I said, there's not a lot of competitive races for the state House. You know, I'm Beacon Hill in the legislature, but there are a few incumbent facing challengers, and that doesn't happen super often.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm actually sitting right now in the parking lot of Marjorie Decker, who's a Cambridge Democrat running for state Rep. I'm at her her party and her her campaign has been really interesting because she's a long time in combent. She's been in you know, the legislature for decades, and she is facing a challenger for the first time in in several years from a really young graduate student. I'm his union organizer, Evan McKay, and they've focused their campaign really around, you know, legislative efficiency and let the lack of transparency and Beacon Hell, which has become you know, has gotten a lot of attention, you know, in this past legislative session. So that's one that I'm watching personally because I've been covering that race. But there are a bunch of state reps, or a bunch there's in the team state reps and senators that are that are being challenged, and I'll be watching those races just because you know, there's one hundred and sixty a reps and forty senators and very few of them get challenged, so that's kind of a dynamic.
Speaker 2: I'm keeping a close eye on Samantha Gross's whether us at the Boston Globe. She's covering the primaries today. The thing I find fascinating about Massachusetts is that while it is a blue state, we've had Republican governors. You know, we're Mitt Romney, who was a really nice guy and him compared to Trump, the dude a liberal, you know, Paul Salucci. Uh, you know, we've had William Weld. I think it was a Republican at the time before. Why is that? Do you have any idea why that happens?
Speaker 4: I mean, that kind of brand of moderate conservatism was really you know, that was like a marquee for Massachusetts for a long time. Obviously, the party has changed a lot under you know, it's various leadership. I know you guys have probably covered this of you know, some of the tumults within the Massachusetts GOP, and so they don't have that big tent reputation anymore. I think they're trying to rebuild that. But yeah, they you know, have alienated a lot of those moderate conservatives after calling I think they called you know, Charlie Baker rhino at the time when he when he didn't vote for Trump anyway, So I think like the brand has deteriorated a little bit. But yeah, we do have a history of having conservative governors or I guess you know, moderate.
Speaker 2: Governors, conservative governors that are reasonable, you know, I mean just reasonable. I mean, look, what reason's gone out the window? I mean we all know that it's it's it's Banana's, but Charlie Baker's another one. Just you know, a reasonable situation or somebody you could have a conversation with, somebody that you may disagree with, but you're not gonna call each other names, and you can have a conversation with But you're right, I mean, that's that's not the same. Even Scott Brown. I remember when Scott Brown won, you know that pulled off that upset and Scott was a moderate as well, and he had a pickup truck and people like that. So, hey, do you have any my opening comment I talked about the the debate coming up on the tenth, and I assume you're a It sounds to me like you're a political junkie. That's why you're doing what you're doing. I cannot wait for Harris Trump ding ding, sound the bell, let's go take the gloves off. What do you think about this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm definitely interested to see. I mean, it's it's a first so I think you know, all eyes will be on the two of them. Both campaigns have been really active. You know, in recent weeks, Vice President has is launching her Reproductive Freedom bus tour that's going, you know, around the country right now. I know that it kicked off, I think today in Palm Beach, near near Donald Trump's home. And you know, meanwhile, you know, Trump lawyers are are in court trying to help proceedings in his criminal case. And yeah, it's just it'll I don't know, it'll be really interesting. I'm really curious to hear what they have to stand one of the big issues. And yeah, it's you know, there's been so much change in that race lately that yeah, it'll be interesting to see it kind of form on stage on the tent.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I mean on CNN tonight they were talking about different stratu geez and one of the strategies was, you know, and we've heard this, the prosecutor against the convict, you know, but the strategy was she needs to act like a prosecutor, like she's going after him, the criminal. And I'm like, oh my god, what is this. This is the presidency of the United States. We've lost our minds. We've lost our freaking minds. Thank you very much Samantha for joining us. Great job, Thanks for filling us into what was going on today with the primary Samantha Gross of the Boston Globe, Best of luck, talk to you again soon. Thanks for having me, all right, Samantha, good job. So there you have it. There you have it, folks. Shaughnessy's coming up in eight forty five. Boston College, Boston College, go get them. Billy O'Brien, the BC egos pulling up a huge upset over SSU Florida State University. Does this mean college football is going to be back at the heights because we're not a college town. We all know that. But there have been periods in BC's history, whether it be Doug Flutie or Matt Ryan, where we wanted to follow BC and flute was the big thing because he was a local guy from Natick.
Speaker 3: You know, we know that.
Speaker 2: And Billy O'Brien's a local guy, went to Brown North andover love that guy. Good for him. That's all coming up at eight forty five, and coming up next, I have some thoughts on why we should all be wearing long pants on WBC's Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on the Night Side with Dan Ray on wb Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Dan Shaughnessy joins us, coming up in about ten minutes talking about BC let's hear it for the Eagles man the Heights and they went on the road. They won on the road against Florida State. The Eagles are back. Baby, Dad's gonna talk about that. Coming up at eight five. I'm as I get older, I have become such an alarmist. And I think that's just the way it is. When you're eighteen, you're nineteen, you're invincible, you're twenty. Nothing's gonna hurt me. Not a little mosquito. Oh no, not a little insect. That's not gonna bother me. If they try to take some blood out of me, I'm just gonna smack it. But with this West now virus situation, it scares the hell out of me, It really does. It scares the hell out of me. WYV risk levels in the following area of communities raised too high. Sagas in Essex County, Arlington, Belmont, Malden, Medford, Melrose, Middlesex, Middlesex County, I should say Chelsea, Revere, Revere, Winthrop in Suffolk County. I get a first hand frost nothing like a good frost unless you leave the plants out, and you still get stuff in the garden. While the temperatures may be a bit cooler, September is still within the peak time for West NOOW virus activity in Massachusetts, said Public Health Commissioner Robbie Goldstein, who was an MD and a PhD. So this is serious stuff. It really is. And my family looks at me a little weird because I mean, I'm wearing shorts now, but I'm in a studio and I walked ten feet in my car. But even if it was hot out, I'd taken the dogs for a walk. I do the long sleeves, I do the pants, I do the socks. Even the other night, I said, let's stay in. Let's not go, let's not sit on the back porch. Let's just stay in and take it easy here, because as we have seen, this has resulted in some tragedy strat excuse me, tragedy as I attempted to be dramatic, and tragic deaths. I mean, we know that I feel terrible. I mean, how bad is that You're going about your business and you get a mosquito bite. You don't think anything's wrong. I mean, that's just terrible. It's haunting, feel awful for that family. Terrible, terrible, terrible. One man in his fifties exposed in Suffolk County, the other man in his eighties exposed in southern Middlesex County, and we know there was a fatality in New Hampshire. So folks, put on the long sleeves at night, use the bug spray, get out the deet, get on the socks, put on the long pants. Even if it's a little warm. We still have some warm days ahead. You know me, If you need to do the shorts of the T shirt, you can maybe do it in the morning when there's a light breeze, but still put on the repellence. I know I sound like your father here, but do it. Absolutely, do it. All right, Rob, We're gonna break a little older because I got Dan Shaughnessy coming in and we're going to talk about the re energized BC Eagles at the Heights with a former Patriot coach that is making it happen. It's all coming up on WBC's Nightside. Gary Tangway for Denray.
Speaker 1: Now back to Danray Live from the Window World Light Side Studios on WBZ News video.
Speaker 2: BC's back, baby, It's awesome. It's all. Look, this is not a college football town. We all know it. Dan Shaughnessy joining me, my friend here from the Boston Globe. The Boston College Eagles pulled off a mammoth upset. I mean, Danny, they were like sixteen and a half point underdogs. They come out on the road at Florida State University and they take him to the woodshed. How about that? That was something. It was fun. I mean, when BC's good, it's fun, right.
Speaker 3: That was really impressive.
Speaker 5: I tuned in and I'm not a big college football dog like most people who live here. I know, the reach of the program that you're anchoring here is is very vast and goes to many places that are college football towns and areas, and we just don't happen.
Speaker 3: To be one pro town.
Speaker 5: But that was for BC, I mean, about as good as it's gotten the last forty years. I mean, it was really an impressive, impressive win. As you say, you know, on the road, sixteen and a half point dogs win by fifteen, and you know, now you look ahead. I mean they've they've got Michigan State coming in here in two or three weeks, and that's the week before Michigan State plays Ohio States, so maybe they'll catch them nap. And I everybody just got a lot more serious about BC. I think seeing them on their schedule now it's something for the ACC to have a team that's that's kind of a sleeper in the overall picture of it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like you say, it was a good moment and good for them, Well we're.
Speaker 2: Going to need it because the Patriots are just you know, it's not good. I mean, it's just not good. Which I'll get to that in a minute. Which as far as I'm concerned, that's fine. We've had an amazing run. We'll let Kansas City and the other other teams have their fun right now, because it was a tremendous run for us, as you know. But I also like the way they win the game because there was a running game involved. It wasn't just simply Madden Football.
Speaker 5: Right, They were doing a lot between the tackles's kind of going straight at them. And really in Florida State, and again I don't follow this like a lot of your audience, I suppose, but the Florida State, man, what's the story they lose to Georgia Tech. They're still ranked tenth in the country. There's only one team, and they're at home, and the quarterback just looked really bad. I just couldn't believe it was missing open guys and not just taking anything away from what BC did. And you know, Bill O'Brien, I mean, good on them, but I just was surprised at the ineptitude that team last year. You know, there was a lot of noise about them at the end with their defeated record and why aren't they in the mix here and this and that and and it's turned out I don't know a little bit of fraudulents going on there. But as you say, Gary, you know we're not a college town.
Speaker 3: And I can tell you I remember distinctly.
Speaker 5: It's funny you bring up about the Patriots being bad, and so maybe BC and fill that gap a little bit because because a long time ago two thousand and seven, BC was ranked second in the country in football for two weeks and that was the Matt Ryan era, right, and they really had it going. And I think O'Brien was still the coach then, and this was like in October. It wasn't early, it was in the middle, Virginia Tech beat them to get them off the number two perch. But so in our town they're number two in the country. And I'm telling you, no one was aware of this. And here's why Red Sox won the World Series. In October of two thousand and seven, the Patriots were going eighteen and oh on their revenge tour. Kevin Garnett had just come on to the Celtics in the Watford Deal and they were beginning a championship run for the two thousand and seven to eight Celtics, And you had the number two football team in America and no one was aware of it, and it just sort of.
Speaker 3: Came and went. So that's our town.
Speaker 5: And I don't you know, radio shows like the one you're doing and the all sports talk shows in our town they don't the college guest, whether it's basketball, football, they just don't get the audience or they don't get any kind of conversation going the way it would anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the connection is there has to be a local tie. Now we can go back to cowboy Jack mcnell, who coached at the University of Maine, and it was just a sweet guy with the cowboy boots and played the guitar and loved his country music. And Doug Flutie of course, right Fluty Media was a native kid, a local kid, you know. When you look at that team you talked about, were coached Tom O'Brien, and I remember talking to him, nice man, but he was also a little frustrated. He didn't really understand the ways of the world here. That BC is almost it's like a and I don't want to be insulting, but it's it's like a gem. It's like every once in a while, if you have the right personalities attached to the program, people will get behind it. For a while, when Al Skinner was coaching with the basketball team, Jimmy O'Brien with the basketball team, Jerry Yorke again local guy with the hockey team, and that team you mentioned with Tom O'Brien, you know the quarterback. He's great. Ryan's a great kid. He was from New York. O'Brien was a military guy, came out of Virginia. There was no connection, you know, And that's why I wanted to talk about this tonight because of Billy O'Brien. Now, you and I both covered him when he was with the Patriots. This guy went to Brown. He's got a North Andover. He had the he had the impossible job of working with Brady after Josh left. We all know when Billy got in a fight with Tom on the sidelines. I'm rooting for Billy O'Brien. I'm just rooting for the guy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: No, that makes a lot of sense, and he's you know, this could be a perfect fit.
Speaker 5: I mean you always wonder if the guys has found a home and given his age, as you point out, his local roots, and he's done a lot in the NFL. I mean, you know when the Houston Texans had it going, you know he was. He was all there for that, and then the offensive coordinator for the Patriots and the last Penn.
Speaker 2: State he turned Penn State around. I mean, Danny, I mean Penn State was coming out of it. I remember when he took the Penn State gig. I don't know if you remember this, but Belichick I was talking to somebody I can't hell him and a Benzoe or something, you know, who knows, but like Belichick told him, you take that Penn State job because it was after the whole you know, uh, pedophilia scandal, I mean just terrible, and people didn't want the job, you know, and paternal I think it passed away. I mean it was just the thing was in the dumps and people told him to take it and he did and it was actually the right move for him.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know it was.
Speaker 5: I mean, they had they had way more success quickly than anybody thought they would or could given what he walked into. And that's absolutely true. And you know, another another great part of his resume. And that's why I wonder if you know, there's only one game in, but this this would have been a good day to renegotiate because I mean, he looks like a guy that you want to keep and and build around because it's been it's been tough sledding over there for quite some time, as you know, and uh, and this would be a you know, this could be a game changer for the for the school's football program, which is just you know, it's just been a while and and you know, going back to it was not him, but last year there was that everybody kind of laughed.
Speaker 3: At the Wasabi Bowl and that was sort of a tell.
Speaker 5: It was at Fenway Park in December on a Wednesday morning and was raining and it was a horrible day and there was no one in the lower bowl of Fenway of the stands, and and they they they took it to SMU, which was you know, they had been a ranked team and and came here and just lost their way. BC took it to him. So it was something to work with, uh with with the changeover of coaches. And now he's come in and he's like, hey, why can't we be good at football?
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's the key. I agree with you. I think look, we all remember flute Mania and I'll ask you to remind on that and just a little bit. But he again a local guy. Coach Tom Brady, coach of the Patriots, did a very good job with Houston, as you mentioned, turnpen State around. But he's one of us, and I think that that's why it's going to work. And you're right, this is probably he's a little bit older. Now, why would he want to go anywhere else? And if BC is smart, you keep him here for like five years. Just do it. Because Dan, I don't know about you, but I can't keep up with college football the conferences. I died a big twenty four and you know the Pac eighteen and that's gone now and everything is all over the road. So you know, it's it's very hard unless you're Alabama or Georgia, it's very hard to be relevant. And you know, this is the guy that could, This is the guy that could make them relevant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's you know, it's such a tall order in this region. But he can make he can make them. I just don't know when you're a college coach in twenty twenty four, how you hold onto your talent, you know, with the nil money and guys you know, with barcodes in the back of their helmets, and you know.
Speaker 3: Everybody's available to transfer.
Speaker 5: If they don't like the way things are, they're in the portal and they're gone. And I don't know how fans you know, and even in thee die in the wool college regions. How do you stay behind this when well, hell and basketball, you got a whole new team coming in every year, four or five new starters every year because of what went down in football. It's just everything's for sale and I have a hard time getting behind it. I mean, it's great for the betters, it's great TV programming. It's great for fantasy And you know, America was got a wake up call last weekend when college football getting going. Here we go and everybody's into it.
Speaker 3: I have a hard time getting into it.
Speaker 5: And to me, I don't know why anyone would want to coach it because just of holding on to your people and the recruiting and the travel and just keeping people on board. I mean, it's as you say, the landscape of college football is just impossible to track anymore.
Speaker 3: UCLA is flying like around the world this year.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy to.
Speaker 3: Do their schedule. It's crazy, and it's just like, it's what is that?
Speaker 5: And I might mention Miami of Florida their tight end. He caught a touchdown pass over the weekend.
Speaker 3: It's his ninth year.
Speaker 5: At college football, played Blueto, seven years of college down the dream and he finally caught a touchdown.
Speaker 2: It's no, it's crazy. Basketball I think has really been hurt because the Yukon teams with Danny Hurley, they were fun to watch, but I mean, come on, I mean, you know, they're nothing compared to what we've seen in the past with great college championship teams and it's because of the player movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't. You don't have a kid, You get a kid for a year, he goes somewhere else for years.
Speaker 2: Well that's the coaches, you know, now, you know, that's maybe where Billy O'Brien can It's kind of like the Big with the way the Big East used to be for basketball, where it was all about the coaches. You know, maybe if you stick with your coach and you go play for a coach, whether it's Kirby down in Georgia, you know, or over to Alabama, or maybe somebody wants to play for O'Brien here. You know, maybe that's the way it goes. I don't know. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 5: It's it's like Charlie Baker's running the NC Double A and he's not gonna lose a lot of sleepover because it is unfixable. But it's changes every week every.
Speaker 3: It's just I can't keep up with it. But this was a good start. CBC do what they did, and everybody around.
Speaker 5: Here is a little bit more into it as they go into their second third week.
Speaker 2: Danny, it's always great to talk to you, my friend, have a good night. Thanks for coming on anytime, all right, Buddy Dance Chaughnessy columnists of the Boston Globe. One of the great ones who has seen it all. He has seen it all. I great Dan Shaughnessy's story. Two thousand and four Red Sox they sweep the Saint Louis Cardinals. I'm outside the team hotel. Players are getting on the bus and Danny goes for a run. Danny comes back from a jog, and we all know Dan was like, you know, the curse of the Bambino, I mean, just the keeper of the gate. But Danna Stowe has been like the keeper of Boston sports. He really has been, and he has not lost his fastball by any stretch of the imagination. He's still a phenomenal read. And I mean there he just says, now it's not the same anymore. They won, it's just not as much fun. And in a way he was right, you know, I mean, the curse was over, the charm was gone. They were winners. And seven they went on and they won again, swept the Rockies, and they just weren't the lovable losers anymore. And it look for guys like me and Dad, you know, we've had our day. We're all older. The game used to be enough. He's right, the game used to be enough. But for kids now, they need two screens. They need to watch about it. They need to watch the fantasy and the gambling though thing worries the hell out of me. I gotta be honest with you, the fact that gambling is legal and there's a lot of kids in college and I've talked to some parents where, you know, kids start betting on games, and that worries me. That's it's very easy. It's very easy to bet on football games if you're a college kid, or even if you're out of high school and you're over eighteen and you're working and a hundred bucks a year, a hundred bucks there, and then you win. And just remember, man, the house always wins. The house always wins. One of my favorite actors, Chris Bauer, you know who he is, joins us next here on wbz's Night Side.