Speaker 1: Hey, thirty fifty five KRCD Talk Station Final Online Daniel Davis Deep Dive. Just search that you'll run right into my next guest. Every Tuesday we get a deep dive with Daniel Davis, retired Lieutenant Colonel Dan Davis. Welcome back to the fifty five carse Morning Show, my friend. It's a pleasure to have you back on. Always a pleasure to be here. Thanks Brian Hey, real quick man, I knocked an eye. I don't have a bucket list, but if I had one, what I did yesterday would have been on it.
Speaker 2: I took a day off.
Speaker 1: I was invited out to Camp Adderbury in Indiana, and I was able to train with Navy Seal Teams two and three, at least some of the members, twelve or fourteen of them were there, and we shot on a range fifty BMGs and for the first time of my life, I was able to shoot beyond I think my the farthest distance I've ever shot on a range that was probably like three hundred yards. I was hitting them at thirteen hundred yards. We were using oh I yes, sir. We were using MK two eleven rounds, the ones that explode the explosive fifty col rounds, so there was no doubt in your mind when you hit the target because it.
Speaker 2: Would literally blow up. I had the best time.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Those guys are awesome, those Sealed Team guys. I said, you know, if we had, if our American military was filled with the guys that I met yesterday, we'd have nothing to worry about.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: You know. I mean a lot of people go to Hawaii or Europe for vacation and you go military training.
Speaker 2: So, wow, you're really dedicated. Oh I was. No.
Speaker 1: I'm just I got a good friend. I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in that I got invited to this because I have a retired lieutenant colonel who is a sniper trainer, and he was there apparently trained you pretty good. Oh my god, it was amazing what I learned yesterday. Anyway, I had to get that out of my system because some of my listeners don't know why I went a vacation and I took a vacation day. It was awesome anyway. Sadly timing terrible because of the most recent assassination attempt on Trump, but we don't want to focus on that today. With Daniel Davis want to talk about Putin and apparently you're mentioning that he has increased his army size though one and a half million. I saw Wall Street Journal article today and again the fog of war is acknowledged, but headline one million are now dead or injured in the Russia Ukraine war. So frightening figures in that journal reporting. Yeah, and that's a little odd.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. I'm not sure where they get their numbers from.
Speaker 3: I know, you know, because because nobody neither side, of course, publishes real numbers, they and then they both exaggerate the opposite side numbers.
Speaker 2: But you know, most of the West.
Speaker 3: I was looking for some information early this morning before we came on and see a lot of the Western people saying, oh, yeah, Russia loses about a thousand people every day they do these meat grinder attacks. By some accounts, they say they've lost six hundred thousand dead on the Russian side, and you know, and I just keep scratching my head. I'm like, one, where where are you guys looking? Because I see no actual evidence of meat grinder attack? So cold word base you just flood the zone with troops and they just get slaughter, but they keep coming, etc.
Speaker 2: I don't see any evidence.
Speaker 3: So in fact, it's the evidence of the contrary that Russia is the reason why they've been making such methodical progress over this entire calendar year has been because they don't want to put their troops at risk, so they're heavy with firepower, and then only after they've destroyed a lot of the fortifications, etc. Then they bring in the troops lower to move forward. Well, that tells you right there that the firepower is five or ten to one in favor of the Russians in certain parts of the front.
Speaker 2: And then they want to claim.
Speaker 3: That the casualty counts are the inverse, that Russia has ten times more than Ukraine, which just doesn't make any sense at all.
Speaker 2: It's just not rational.
Speaker 3: So I doubt that it's true, because if Russia was suffering that many casualties.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't be continuing to move. But the other side does seem to be working that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, they acknowledge the sort of what you and I are I call the fog of war numbers here. I mean it's the one million reference is collectively both sides, and that's killed or wounded, and you and I both know there's a whole lot of wounded people in any combat situation, so just the numbers are just crazy. So where where are we on this? I would love to have some definitive understanding of where the United States thinks we're going to take this, because I'm becoming less and less convinced this is a worthy exercise, just because of the reality that there's a finite number of Ukrainians fighting this battle, and we can give them all the weapons in the world, but if they don't have people to fight against the Russians and they're increasing army size, it's it's simply a battle of attrition for the Russians to win, right, right, It really.
Speaker 2: Does come down to that simple.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's other things involved, but the fundamental you just mentioned is almost ironclad, especially in the history of warfare, and just in the logic of this war.
Speaker 2: You can look look at it when the Russian side has somewhere.
Speaker 3: Around thirty million more men of military age that they can draw and then the Ukraine side does. If you get into a war of attrition, which we are definitely in, then the side with the most inputs is the one that's gonna win. So if you have more men, if you have more ammunition, and if you have more industrial capacity, unless you just decide to quit one day, and neither side is because both sides are viciously committed to this. Then you see that one point or another, then the weight of all the inputs are certainly going to wear down the other side. And that's exactly what we're seeing on the front line. Now here's my big problem. I wish you were in the White House, because if the person in the White House came to the same logical conclusion you did, then this would probably be getting wrapped up. Instead, we are right on the threshold of potentially escalating the war because Zelensky is pleading and begging and cajoling trying to get long range weapons from the US, France and Britain, and the Russian side has said in the most emphatic terms they have.
Speaker 2: In the entire war that if you.
Speaker 3: Use long range weapons systems in our country and in the depth of our country, then we're going to say that is the direct involvement of the NATO countries and we will take appropriate countermeasures.
Speaker 2: And I know I've been seeing it all.
Speaker 3: Over the net that all these experts in the Western A saying he's just bluffing, he's never gonna do that. And I'm telling you there is no reason to risk finding out if that's true or not if he's going to expand because look, those things, those missiles, they won't change anything. There's not enough of them. It would take months long, sustained long range bombing campaign to have a difference at the front line.
Speaker 2: We don't have that many missiles.
Speaker 3: Secretary of Defense last week admitted, we don't have that many attackums missiles. So why start something that could spawn an expanded war if it can't even help all the way?
Speaker 1: Well, doubling down on what you just said, going back to my time yesterday at camp out and spending time with men in uniform, we're short on all kinds of military equipment.
Speaker 2: It's across the board.
Speaker 1: We are in a sorry state in terms of preparedness generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Is the conclusion that I reached.
Speaker 3: Well, that certainly matches what I'm seeing elsewhere too. I mean, not only are we sending all this stuff to Ukraine, we're also sending just huge planeloads of shiploads of stuff to Israel almost on a daily basis, not almost on a daily basis, And at the same time the Congress is saying, yea, let's send more stuff out to the Indo Pacific in Taiwan as well, And you just have to ask the question. We can't even recruit enough people to man all of our ships in the Navy. We're having to decommissionships because we don't have enough troops and we don't have enough ammunition of various categories. While you're just giving it out to everybody and risking war with Russia.
Speaker 2: But Brian, I'm just telling you.
Speaker 3: If you succeeded and we actually got into a war with Russia because of this situation here, we don't have the men, we don't have the material, we don't have the industrial capacity to fight sustained.
Speaker 2: War air go.
Speaker 3: We could lose a war if we fought against the Russia or China right now.
Speaker 2: That's the harsh truth.
Speaker 1: Well, in two real quick observations. In order for Ukrainians should they get long range missiles, I think Putin is kind of on the right track because I believe you are going to confirm what I'm going to say here. To operate those long range missiles requires technology links to secure systems that the Ukrainians do not have access to and do not know how to use, so it require American direct involvement to be able to launch and hit targets in Russia.
Speaker 2: Am I right on that?
Speaker 3: That's why Putin made that comment last Friday. He expressly acknowledged that, and then subsequently you've had senior British and American officials acknowledged that's true. So yes, it's not just misinformation by the Russian side, it's acknowledged by our side and self evidently true.
Speaker 1: Daniel David, Steve Daiber. I wish we had longer to talk. We are sadly out of time. Always enjoy these conversations, as troubling as they may be for some of my listeners, this is just the carshold harshold reality that we're dealing with, and somebody needs a plan to get this done and over with because I think, you know, it wouldn't just be Vladimir Putin's army. The second point I want to make, they are joining forces and working collectively with the Chinese and other enemy powers of ours, so.
Speaker 2: We would be in a real big shoo career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're absolutely right, Daniel Davis, deep dive search for them online. You'll run right into them and we'll look forward to next Tuesday in another discussion, my friend.
Speaker 2: Next time, take care brother. If I care? What is that? Suseette Low's camp. Get in touch with Suette Low's camp.