Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Psychik Teachers. I'm your host, Samantha Fay.
Speaker 2: And I'm Deb Bowing and today we're.
Speaker 1: Going to be talking about some modern mystics. But before we do, we just wanted to pop in once again and say happy New Year. We hope it's twenty twenty six is off to a great start for you. If you go to our Facebook page, you'll see some photos I posted just this week of Deb and I having a lovely holiday meal together and we did a Toro reading and so we posted some photos about that. It was so much fun. And while we were talking, we were like, so, what do you want to talk about on the show in twenty twenty six, And we had some pretty good ideas, I think, don't you?
Speaker 2: I think so, and I hope our listeners do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see me too. So we've got some really fun guests lined up and we've got some cool research stuff we're going to be bringing to you. And one of the things we were talking about was, you know, we like to look back at historic figures who have laid the groundwork for doing the intuitive work we can do today. But we thought it would be kind of fun to highlight some more recent people. So I did a little bit of research, deb you did a lot of research, so I think you should start us up.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd be happy to do that, you know, I think that a lot of us don't know except for the folks that I'm going to be talking about. I did not know a lot about folks from India and the work that they did up until the Beatles. So that's really kind of where I'm going to begin. And then I'm going to dive back into history a bit with two other folks. The first person I want to talk about is a man from India who shaped both Western culture and Western music. In the nineteen sixties. He sent many of us to the Incense Store, and he introduced us to musicians such as the Ravi Shankar, whose work was just brilliant. I saw something recently where his daughter is also playing the sitar these days, and she's doing some lovely work. But in any case, the person I want to talk about is the Maharishi Mahashogi, born somewhere around nineteen seventy. We in the West met him when the Beatles went to India in nineteen sixty eight to learn from him. Most notably, he brought transcendental meditation to the West. It was the Beatles relationship with him that gave us songs on their Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Arts Club Band album and most of the White Album. However, we also have John Lennon's song Sexy Sadie, which thinly Veil's accusations the Maharishi inappropriately touched some women who came to his aushrom. The accusations were never confirmed, and both George Harrison and Paul McCartney denied that they were true. But the Maharishi was really primarily an entrepreneur of enlightenment who built an enterprise of spiritual centers and schools that today are estimated to have an asset of about three hundred million dollars. He died in two thousand and eight. Whether he was a true spiritual master or Charlatan will never be determined, of course, but he did introduce the West to transcendental meditation and to some serious philosophy of his beliefs in India. According to his teaching, stress could be reduced by daily meditation. This is a quote from him. The philosophy of life is this, Life is not a struggle, not attention. Life is bliss, It is wisdom, eternal existence. Life is bliss, It is eternal wisdom, eternal existence. He studied Sanskrit under a Hindu leader known as Guru Dev, which means divine teacher. In his younger years, he studied forms of meditation with several masters, eventually adopting for himself the name Maharishi, which means great soul. He rebranded the meditation philosophies that he had studied into a container that he called Transcendental Meditation TM calms the spirit, and the Maharishi hoped that it would bring peace to the world. It is not far removed from John Lennon's song All You Need Is Love, which he wrote before he met the Maharishi. So here's what happened. In nineteen fifty nine, the Maharishi founded the International Meditation Society BASS, with bases in London and in San Francisco, and he set about recruiting members. He established his headquarters in Switzerland, then moved it to Amsterdam in nineteen ninety, and at the height of the movement had more than two million followers worldwide, including ninety thousand in the UK, which is of course how the beatles came to him. His followers either paid a subscription or tithed a part of their earnings, and as a result, the society that he formed became rich. He even had his own helicopter. Wow, I know.
Speaker 1: Well, what can I say? The Pope has his own helicopter.
Speaker 2: Well, there is that. So yes, he was certainly a very wise businessman and an entrepreneur. But at the heart of his work was this notion of meditation, which was a new concept here in the West, particularly for us, and I'll talk more about that and how still has centers here in the United States. But in February of nineteen sixty seven, George Harrison's wife Patty became intrigued about him after attending a lecture on TM in London. And at that time George was developing his own interest in Indian culture. He had played a sitar George had on Rubber Soul in nineteen sixty five, which I just love, and had gone to India in September of nineteen sixty six to study with Rabi Shankar. If you don't know his music, once again I urge you to listen. His music was just wonderful There arguably several sides to the coin about the relationships between members of the Beatles and the Maharishi. For example, the years that they were connected with him produced some of their most powerful and well loved music. It really was a shift in Western music when the Beatles were working with the Maharishi. It is believed that transcendental meditation helped John get off drugs at the time. Conversely, managers and associates of the Beatles warned them that they were being used and exploited by a con artists, and both sides of the media had a field day with that relationship. It really was such a convoluted time with young people in the United States as the Beatles developed this relationship with this man. There is considerable conjecture about how the Beatles then came to break their relationship with the Maharishi, but they did. It could be argued that the visit to India they spent some time with him created disharmony rather than harmony for the Beatles, but there were many other factors that caused tension with the band, including John's love for Yoko Ono, who could be seen as an alternative spiritual leader for him. While the Maharishi never received any earnings that he had anticipated from the Beatles. He really thought that there would be a whole a different way of him earning money and profiting off of his relationship with the Beatles. But he did become wealthy, as I've mentioned by other avenues. He certainly maintained a celebrity following in the nineteen seventies. He established transcendental meditation centers around the world, several in the UK and America, and there is a university in Fairfield, Iowa, and his work in tmwork in America continues in later years. George Harrison and Ringo Starr stated in interviews that regardless of their relationship with the Maharishi, they were grateful for some of what they learned from him and from the practice of transcendental meditation. And he died in two and eight, but transcendental meditation continues. And just for folks who because of Lord. I mean, how many times have our listeners heard us say, meditate, meditate, meditate, Well, there's lots of different kinds of meditation. And often when here in the West, for the most part, we think of meditation, we think of mindfulness, meditation. Well, you set an intent for your time in silence, and often we hear the wonderful prayer and chant, may I be happy, may the world be happy, may all beings be at peace. You know that lovely mantra is just wonderful. Transcendental meditation is just being silent. There's a place where in TM where there's a shift in your brain waves in the silence. And that's about the best I can do is explaining it to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought it was different. I thought transcendental meditation you had a guru and they gave you a mantra or a nonsense word to focus.
Speaker 2: That may be true. Some of the research I did talked a lot about it just being in silence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I thought that too, So I'm always confused about it. There's a lot of really cool documentaries on transcendental meditation, and one of them is narrated or focused on Jerry Seinfeld. But it's all like very successful people in the world of business in Hollywood who talk about how TM saved their life and really help them become focused on their purpose.
Speaker 2: I've heard those same things, and it may be that what you and I are saying here is that with almost any other practice or belief system. There are different schools of thought, and it's not just one. I think that's true, so it may be probably one direction of TM in another in another way, you know. Right. He was a fascinating man, and I can still see pictures in my mind of the Beatles and the Maharahi's sitting with the beautiful flowers around their necks and all the Eastern clothes which to us here, at least in the South, when I was a teenager in the sixties, that was really weird stuff. You know. It was rare that you knew somebody who was of a different Christian denomination than you, much less a different belief system from across the ocean. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true and important to point out because now we're all open to all sorts of different faiths. But you're right back then, especially for the Beatles, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Buddhism, Hinduism, incense. I mean, that's why I mentioned the incense stores earlier, because you just couldn't go to, you know, the grocery store and buy a bag of incense. I mean it was you didn't do that. You had to go looking for it, and most of us didn't even know what incense was. I mean frankinsense and myrrh brought to the baby Jesus. We had some notion that that probably smelled pretty good. And U. Catholick's had some great stuff in your church, but we did't have anywhere else. I'm serious, and I don't mean that in a despair jingly in any way. But it really did open up this relationship with Eastern Thought, did open up a whole new world of openness and at least curiosity about beliefs and practices and cultures different from your own. I think it's a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thing and normalize this idea of meditating, which is so important for the growth of our spirituality and our consciousness. Okay, so who are you going to tell us about next, Samantha.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk about two more folks in just a minute. But before I do, let's take a quick break, shall we.
Speaker 1: Yes, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody. Here are a couple of events that I've got coming up, and I so hope you'll join me. On Saturday, January thirty first, I will be at Dancing Moon, Books and Gifts in Raleigh, North Carolina. I'll be there for an afternoon workshop about my new book, Crafting the Wheel of the Year. If you can get to Raleigh, I would love to see you. You can get information about the event at Dancingmoon Raleigh dot com. And then on Saturday, February seventh, I hope you'll join me and my co author of Crafting the Wheel of the Year, Claire Gelder, for a zoom workshop that focuses on the Celtic holiday of Imboke. I'll discuss the cultural and spiritual aspects of the season, and Claire will teach you great crafts. You can register on my website www dot dev Bowen dot com and there's more on my website and there's more coming soon, so check it out dev Bowen dot com. Thanks everybody, Welcome back everybody. Before we talk about the next two folks, I need to give you a word, a definition of a word, and the word is boba baba and it comes from the Persian and it's an honor term of respect meaning father, her, grandfather, sir. So when you hear the word baba attached to someone's name, it means that person has been given and designated some level of respect and honor from his followers or folks around him. So I want to begin by telling you about a man whose name was Shri Sai Baba of Shurdi. I'm just going to call him Said Baba from now on. He was born in eighteen thirty eight and he passed on in nineteen eighteen. He was revered by both Hindu and Muslim followers and was considered by many to be a saint. He condemned discrimination based on religion or caste. And think back to the time frame in which this man lived, the eighteen hundreds in India particularly, and well in America too.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, we're fighting a civil war.
Speaker 2: Absolutely exactly. You're right. That was a really radical idea. No disc emination based on religion or caste. His teachings emphasized love, forgiveness, helping others, charity, contentment, enter peace, and devotion to God. He taught what he called the importance of realization of the self and opposed that which he called love towards perishable things.
Speaker 1: Well, I like that phrase. Yeah, I love perishable things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, once I got past thinking about you know, vegetables, I thought, oh, lots of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love chocolate, with a passion.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's what he meant, Samantha.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I'm just being silly.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, okay, but I know sometimes folks take us literally when we tell true.
Speaker 1: Sorry, just being sarcastic, Ignore me, I.
Speaker 2: Okay. Just to clarify, I believe what he meant by towards perishable things is not okay, is that which fades away and is not based on kindness and all those other qualities that he revered. We don't know a lot about his early life. One theory states that he was born into the Brahmin caste, which is an upper upper class cast but later was adopted by a Sufi holy one. Here I'm not sure I'm pronouncing that word correctly, but of the Sufi tradition, when he was sixteen, it is believed that he lived for about three years near the village of Amanagar, and I'm going to talk about that town. Later he dressed as a Sufi holy man, meditating for hours under a tree. So there was also this kind of connection to the Buddhist thought, because of course that's what we know about Buddha under the tree. Sufi is a fascinating other belief system that we could be talking about, but we'll hold on to that for another episode. Say Bob had left the village for about a year in his life, during which time he really did he just disappeared, and when he came back he was dressed as a Sufi teacher. Later he incorporated some Muslim attire into his clothing, which led to hostility towards him in a predominantly Hindu village. So as he is trying to bring together various schools of thought Hinduism, Muslim thought, his Hindu village community is not real happy with him. For four to five years, he lived under a tree, meditating for long periods of time. Reports say that he was withdrawing, not talking, uncommunicative, and he often wandered for long periods in the jungle around the village. He was essentially persuaded to take up residence in an old and dilapidated mosque some years later, where he lived a solitary life, surviving by begging and receiving itinerant Hindu or Muslim visitors. In the mosque where he lived for some time, he maintained a sacred fire and gave sacred ash from the fire to guests. The ash was believed to have had healing powers. He treated the sick by applying ashes. He delivered spiritual teachings to his visitors and recommended the reading of the Baggadavida for Hindus and the Koran for Muslims. He often taught using parables, so once again he's trying to bring in sacred text and invite people to look at common ground. Baba is believed to have tended a garden named after a rivulet called Lindi which flowed nearby. The gardens still exists and it contains temples commemorating people and animals associated with Saibaba's life continues today to be visited by pilgrims. In nineteen ten, his fame began to spread into Mumbai. That city used to be called Bombay Mumbai. Being regarded as a saint with the power of performing miracles, he was visited by numerous people, and in August nineteen eighteen, Sai Baba told some of his devotees that he would soon be leaving his mortal body. He died on October fifteenth, nineteen eighteen. His remains were interned at Bhutiwada in the Surdi, which later became a place of worship that is known today as Shri Somdimander or the Shurdy Sai Baba Temple. When he spoke of himself, he said, you need not go anywhere in search of me. Barring your name and form, There exists in you, as well as in all beings, a sense of being or consciousness of existence, that is me. Knowing this, you see me inside yourself and in all beings. If you practice this, you will realize all pervasiveness can thus be as one with me. Today. Because of Saibaba Sure, it has become a famous religious tourist destination in India and is counted as one of the most popular Hindu places of pilgrimage. The Saibaba Temple is visited by an average of sixty thousand pilgrims a day. During religious festivals, this number can reach up to two hundred thousand. Both the interior of the temple and the exterior cone are covered with gold. Inside the temple, the statue of Saibaba is carved out of Italian marble and is seen draped with royal cloth, wearing a gold crown and adorned with fresh flower of garlands and the temple is managed by the Saibibi truck. He often talked about the Hindu gods and quoted from sacred text. On occasion, he would comment on passages from the Bagadavida, the Upanishads and other books. The names of Krishna and Rama were sacred to him. With Muslim followers, he talked of Allah and the Koran, often quoting Persian verses. He respected all faiths and taught that all are particular paths towards one goal. Saibaba left behind no spiritual heirs, appointed not disciples, and did not provide formal initiation, despite folks asking him for that. And there are many temples of Saibaba in India. They're all over the country. They're also located in the United States, Trinidad and Tobago, Ghana, Surinam, Fiji, South Africa, Kenya, Benyon, Cuba, Canada, Pakistan, Australia, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Germany, Japan and New Zealand, and probably some other places too. That's good.
Speaker 1: Quite a legacy.
Speaker 2: It is, really is and really deeply loved and deeply committed to the notion of connection among us all.
Speaker 1: He was really respect among us all. Yes, it really is amazing, especially when you think about, as you were saying in the beginning, what was going on at the time that he was born. I mean, he was born shortly after the American Revolution, the French Revolution. We had the Tripoli Wars, which was said it was fought about piracy, but it was really about slavery and stopping that in some of those shores, and then the Civil War and all the other stuff. And to have this holy man talk about how we're all connected and won back then very very brave and very profound.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it really was. He was an interesting Viallet I.
Speaker 1: Want to know how he was persuaded the way you describe it. I have this image of this man just wandering the jungle, trying to be alone, and they're like, no, no, you got to come live in this dilapidated monastery.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess because of what he was teaching, folks wanted to hear more, and so they found place for him to be and in some ways probably took care of him, you know.
Speaker 1: And that poor man just probably wanted to be alone.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I mean, he may have been committed to teaching. You know, teachers have to teach when they teach.
Speaker 1: There's a quote by Niedsche I think about a lot. He says, I hate who steals my solitude without an exchange offering me true company.
Speaker 2: H I love that. That's great. Who said that?
Speaker 1: Niedsche and I have shortened that. It's so bad like every time. So when Lake texts me, I always say, who intrudes on my solitude?
Speaker 2: That's so funny because when my text stings.
Speaker 1: I don't want to tell listeners what you say?
Speaker 2: I could say the nice part? Okay, Okay, when the text things, I say, what do you want?
Speaker 1: Well? Sometimes if I call her, she'll answer, what do you want?
Speaker 2: No, I'm kidding. I don't do that to you.
Speaker 1: You don't do that. Your tone does, but you don't say.
Speaker 2: The Well sometimes is it's strict? This is same for me.
Speaker 1: All right, you have one more amazing teacher and then.
Speaker 2: Start out this action the fell I wanted to talk about the most.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's take our last quick break and then we can get to who you really wanted to teach us about. We'll be right back, okay. As we took into winder and hopefully have space for more introspection and reflection, you might want to check out one of my E courses on topics such as honing your own intuition, learning about crystals, and psychic protection techniques. My Manifest Money Miracles E course is only eight dollars and has really helpful tips like how to create a lucky time aliceman for abundance. Or if you're having trouble falling asleep or need a way to hit pause on an overthinking mind, check out one of my guided meditations, ranging from chakras and spirit guides to learning how to remember your dreams. Just hit play as you fall asleep and let your subconscious mind do the rest. For more information, go to Samantha Fey dot com and click the stores tab.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody. So when I began teaching at Academia, I was about the same age as my students' mothers and fathers. Well, as time went on, I got older and they didn't, right, I kept getting older and my students were still in their late teens and early twenties for the most part.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get that letter? Our Dean of students would always email us this letter at the beginning of every semester, and it changed obviously every year, but it would say this year, oh, these freshman students were born, you know, the year that President Bush was elected or whatever. And every year it would change. The year that Obama was elected. It was like, what is happening? How is how is you already eighteen?
Speaker 2: We got that too, We got that letter to we did well. So it's the first day of school after I gotten older, and this lovely young woman comes up to me after class and she looks me in the eye and she says, jay Baba. And I looked at her and I said, jay Baba. She said, you know my grandmother. I said, who's your grandmother? And she told me her grandmother's name. I did indeed know her grandmother, who was a devout follower of Mayha Baba. And jay Baba is the greeting that Baba lovers, as they call themselves, say to each other. It means, in the name of Baba, I greet you kind of thing. The first words out of the student's mouth were jay baba, and I responded in kind. I knew what she meant because I have been blessed over the years to know many folks who are followers of Mayor Baba. Having had a couple of opportunities to visit the Baba Center, which I'm going to talk about in a few minutes, and to listen to some great music that has been dedicated to Mayor Baba over the years. Let me tell you about him, and then I'll talk about what I know about him. He was born in eighteen ninety four and he this is a quote, This is how they described it, dropped his body in nineteen sixty nine. His followers believed that he was a true Avatar. And that word, I know probably conjures up the image of those blue folks on that movie. But the word avatar, and I don't mean that desparingly because I've never seen the movie. But avatar here means a true master, a true manifestation of God in human form. His followers believe that of him. He has hundreds still today of thousands of followers in India, with followers in North America, Europe, South America and Australia. Is a huge following of Baba in Australia. His teachings, like Cyboba's, draw from Sufi, Vedic and Yogic perspectives, and he taught that the goal of all beings was to become conscious of their own divinity and to realize their oneness of and with God. As a boy, he formed what he called the Cosmopolitan Club, which was dedicated to remaining informed on world affairs and collecting money and donating it to charity. He played several instruments, and he was a poet. He was fluent in several languages and loved poetry by William Shakespeare Percy Shelley. His transformation in his spiritual practices began when he was nineteen and lasted for seven years. At nineteen, he met Hasrat Babajan, an elderly Muslim saint. He was cycling past a tree that she had made her home, which she called out to him, and so he went over to her and she kissed him on the forehead, which caused him to enter a nine month long trance, which he described as divine blits, where he was just not conscious of his body. She predicted that he would become a spiritual leader, and for several years he explored the teachings of lots of masters that he encountered. By nineteen twenty two, when he was twenty seven, he began gathering his own disciples, and they gave him the name meher Baba, which means compassionate face. In that year, Baba and his followers established a center in Mumbai, and a year later they left Mambai and moved to a few miles outside Amanaga. Remember I said that name of that town earlier. They moved outside Amanagar into a communal area that they called Meherbad. This ashram in Meherbad became his center for his work, and it is continues today. There are still his followers who keep that ashram alive. He opened a school, a hospital, and a dispensary in Meyerbad. To think of that as kind of a suburb of Amanagar, all of which were free and open to all casts and faiths. And I know that today. I think a lot of that work is focused on eye issues, cataracts and so forth. From July tenth, nineteen twenty five, until he died in sixty eight or sixty nine, whichever it was, he maintained silence. So for all those years Baba was silent. He did not speak, and yet he taught and wrote books and did all sorts of cool stuff.
Speaker 1: He initially say why he's stopped speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does. In his book entitled God speaks. He talks about why he doesn't speak anymore. I've given my copy of those books away I had. His two most famous books are called God Speaks and Discourses, and they're gone. I don't know what happened to him, but what he did do initially was he communicated with a chalk on slate, a little lap board that he kept that he wrote with chalk on, and then he had an alphabet board, and then later he created basically his own sign language that his followers could follow. It was not like we would think of American's sign language, but it was Boba's way of gesturing. What he taught about as he wrote on the board and with his followers in front of him, and as he wrote in his books, was he was really concerned about nature and the purpose of life. He said that the world around us as we see it really is an illusion, and that the universe is our imagination, that there's more than we can comprehend in our imagination. He taught that God alone exists, that each soul is God, passing through imagination in order to receive its own divinity. As I mentioned, tell most famous books are entitled God Speaks and Discourses and Beginning in nineteen thirty one, he began to make visits to the West, and throughout the decade of the thirties he traveled around the world in lots of different places, went to Europe and came here in the United States, and it was during this period that he began to establish his first contact with Western disciples. He traveled on a Persian past word, which I thought was interesting, and as he had given up writing as well as speaking, he would not sign the forms required by the British Government of India, so he traveled on a Persian passport as opposed to an Indian passport. On his first trip to England in nineteen thirty one, he was traveling on a big ship at the same time as was Mahatma Gandhi. They met three times on board that ship, and one of these exchanges lasted for three hours.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on, what are Gandhi and Baba doing for three hours? If he doesn't write or.
Speaker 2: Talk at this point gesturing and as huing gesturing, an interpreter is one of his followers is explaining what he's saying.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I'm sorry, I'm just still stuck on giving up writing and talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an aide to Gandhi said, you may say emphatically that Gandhi never asked Major Baba for help or for spiritual or other advice. Oh yes, I don't know what they talked about.
Speaker 1: Wow, And why would he see that? It's almost like Gandi didn't ask for anything from him because he had his own spiritual inner knowing. I don't know. That's kind of a strange quote, don't you.
Speaker 2: Think I did? I found that really interested. So when he came over here to the US, he was just and noundated by and loved by a lot of really famous people who just didn't quite know what to do with this really cool Indian guy who didn't talk and was just wonderful. He met Gary Cooper, Charles Lawton, Tulula Bankhead, Boris Carlof, Maurice Chevalier, Mary Pickford, and Douglas Banks Junior, Fairbanks Junior. They held a reception for him at which he delivered a message to Hollywood, and as a result, he emerged as quote one of the enthusiasms of the nineteen thirty So he was quite the I don't want to say politician, but that might be the right word. Really in that he garnered a wide variety of followers from lots of different disciplines and basically just teaching these lovely lessons about kindness and oneness. And I'm going to talk about his most famous quotes in a few minutes. In the nineteen forties and early fifties, his followers engaged in what he called a new life, a commitment to asceticism, during which he in about twenty of his followers traveled to India incognito. So he basically said, how can we be committed to our teachings and our beliefs and do so in a way that does not draw attention to ourselves? And he tried that for a few years, and then he began to establish centers for his followers outside India. As I mentioned, gathered followers from England, Australia, several other countries. And one of his followers from England was a woman named Elizabeth. Oh, I've forgotten her last name. It begins with the P Patterson. Thank you, Elizabeth Patterson. And Elizabeth had a sister named Kitty, and I met Kitty. Elizabeth was dead by the time I went to the barber center, but I met Kitty. He charged them, Kitty and Elizabeth and some friends of hers, with the task of finding a place in the United States that would be appropriate for a retreat center for him and his followers. Well, this is the sixties. So they began on the West coast, and he gave them a set of instructions as to what they had to find. And here were the rules. You must find land that is large enough that several buildings can be built on it for folks to stay in and meditate in. It must contain a fresh water lake. It must be you're moving salt water. It must be in a virgin forest, and it must be given to you. You can't ask for it. Well that's a little daunting task, even in any world of looking for real estate, right I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Elizabeth and her buddy started in the West and nothing was happening. You know, you couldn't tell anybody you go where you were doing it. It was a hard thing that Baba asked her to do, and at some point her father, who knew and respected her. Following of Mayhor, Baba said, well, you know, Elizabeth, I've got this land. He said. It's a weird place, but if you think it'll work, and have it and here's what it's got, and he rattled off all of Baba's criteria and the mayor Senna is today on Highway seventeen in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It's a top amazing. There is a tiny little sign used to be just on the mailbox, I think now there's actually a sign at the entrance now and just go in. You just can't go hang out. You're met at the gate by someone who is a host or a hostess. And when I went, I had to go meet with Kitty and tell her why I was there and who I was, and that was okay, and then I knew other BABA people.
Speaker 1: For international listeners, deb how would you explain Myrtle Beach Because it's like the opposite spiritual place. It's a beautiful place. It's a touristy place for golfers and beautiful.
Speaker 2: It is tourism on steroids. Yeah, I mean it really really is. It's not a place that I would want to live.
Speaker 1: There's beautiful beaches, beautiful places to golf, yes, lots of mini golfing as well, lots of big water slide places. There's like the Dixie Land Stampede, the Dolly parton the Medieval Nights Show. It's all sorts of lots of trip clubs. It's it's like, I don't know, like a little Las Vegas in the South.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: That's giving it more credit.
Speaker 2: But Nessel in the woods near this place, you would think you were on a different planet when you go into center. It is absolutely beautiful, just gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Is that where I went to see the monks do their sand mandalas?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I went to North Myrtle Beach. Oh, this is like seven years ago, and there were these visiting Buddhist monks and they spent the week making these elaborate, gorgeous mandalas, all made out of different colored sand. And at the end of the week they just took a big inhale and blew it all away, all their beautiful work. It was such a bistical, wonderful thing to see. I wonder if that's where I was, and I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a beautiful place. It's a lovely testament to Baba. There are items that belonged to Baba in what's called Baba's house. There there's a chair that had been his in India, but he also had and still has other spiritual retreat centers Brisbane, Australia and Ojai, California, and he had been to these retreat centers after they were being set up and so forth along the way. In nineteen fifty two, as he was heading from the Mayor Spiritual Center in South Carolina to Ojai, California, the one there near its town in Oklahoma called Prague, he was in a terrible car accident and he came back to Myrtle Beach to recuperate for a while. He was at Elizabeth's house at the time, so he worked on some writing and so forth while he was with Elizabeth. He began Dictating God Speaks in nineteen fifty three and dedicated the book to the universe, the Illusion that Sustains Reality. It's a beautiful book. He spent some time throughout India traveling around talking not talking, let me rephrase that, having his words spoken for him about what he believed in was practicing. He was in another car accident in nineteen fifty six, this time in India, where he had really severe injuries and the doctor said he would never walk again. He did, but he was in constant pain for the rest of his life and sometimes needed to be carried from venue to venue. Then, in nineteen sixties, as the drug culture grew in the West, Baba developed relationships with Timothy Leary and Richard Albert, who became, of course, Barba roumdants, and he urged them to oppose the use of hallucinogens for spiritual purposes. Although his body continued to deteriorate, he continued to write and work until his death. When he died, his remains were entombed in Meyerbad. He never broke his silence. He never spoke again. Folks who followed Baba and who study his teachings say that his teachings can be divided into two interrelated categories, his metaphysics on the nature of the soul and the universe, and practical advice for someone aspiring to be more spiritual in their lives. His metaphysics perspective is mostly found in God's Speaks. It contains detailed statements on cosmology, the purpose of life, the progression of the soul, and his teachings on the practical spiritual life are mostly contained in his work called Discourses the Avatar Meher Baba Charitable Trust, which I mentioned earlier as the outgrowth of his medical organizations, continues to work for folks who come to see him. But there's also a veterinary clinic there. And again this is in Amanagar in India. In the sixties, as his fame spread and as he had that relationship with Timothy Leary and Barbara Ramdats, there were many musicians who felt drawn to Baba. One of them was absolutely one of my favorite musicians. Her name is Melanie Sofka. Most folks, of course, only know her as Melanie, and she wrote a song called Candles in the Rain. Lay Down, Lay Down, lay it all down. Let your whitebirds mile up at the one who stands in Friends. Mayor Baba lives again. Lit Candles in the Rain, Mayor Baba Lives Again. Candles in the Rain. Love that song and I love Melanie's love of Baba. For those of you who are old enough to know who the who is, they're still playing. They're going on tour again this year. One of their lead singers, of course, was Pete Townsend, and Pete Townsend was a follower of Baba. He was at the Baba Center the second time I was there.
Speaker 1: Did you get to meet them?
Speaker 2: Well, hello, how are you? Is nice to see you. I mean, you know, you don't much talk to Pete Townsend.
Speaker 1: But that's still really cool.
Speaker 2: It was cool. If you know anything about the Who, probably you know something about the rock opper Tommy and that album was dedicated to Baba. He also Pete Roso wrote a song called Baba O'Reilly, which was named of for Us, partly for Mayor Baba. But what's also important is that, in addition to his work with Rock and Roll and Who, Pete Townsend did several solo acoustic albums dedicated to Baba. But here's the phrase that most folks probably know that they don't know comes from Boba. Remember the big hit by Bobby McFerrin called don't Worry Be Happy? Oh yeah, that phrase comes from Boba's books, Don't Worry Be Happy, And of course over time that became such a trite catch phrase in American culture, and from Baba, it was a very serious admiration. He meant it, don't worry be happy, and that was a part of Boba's teachings with such joy, such a belief in the beauty and the wonder and the kindness of the universe around him.
Speaker 1: Beautiful message, and you're right, we have. I've made it trait with orry be happy, And there's even something kind of trait when you hear it. If I was worried about something and someone said, oh, don't worry, be happy, I'd be like, we'll screw you. I'm worried right now, you know, hold space with me. But when you say it as he intended it, it takes on a whole different meaning, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It really does. And there are a couple of other thoughts that come to mind as I wrap up this thing about Mayor Baba. You remember that whole saga that happened when Jeane died and the treasure hunt she set me on, Oh yeah, to get me to hear the words be happy. Yep. Well, if she'd used baba, I might have gotten it more quicker, because I certainly associate that sentence don't worry, be happy with Mayho Baba.
Speaker 1: That's her personality.
Speaker 2: She wanted you to work for it, She absolutely did. But I want to share, as I close out talking about may Or Baba, one other thing. I have a friend who, as I mentioned earlier, I have a lot of friends who are Biba followers, and one of them died a few years ago and his ashes are interred in mayor Bad. He loved Baba a lot, and my friend came from a culture where it took a lot for his parents to accept my friend's love of Baba, but they did eventually and became not Biba followers themselves, but certainly respectful of Baba and respectful of their son's beliefs and practices as may Her Baba taught him. And so when my friend's parents died, and they died together in a terrible car accident. When they died and were buried in a cemetery, written on their headstones are the words love alone prevails. Love alone prevails. And that too is a quote from Mayer.
Speaker 1: Those are two very very famous quotes.
Speaker 2: Well Baba said them.
Speaker 1: Maybe all that.
Speaker 2: He didn't say them, you write them.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I read this book years ago. It was written in the nineteen twenties, and it talks about the power of our mind. And one thing that author goes back to again and again and again is the energy we expel through talking. And I never really thought about it because everyone talks, but think about it. Like you're meeting people. You're thinking about what you should say, how you should respond, when you should pause eye contact. You're thinking about what would be helpful in this situation. Do they want help? Do they just want to talk? Do I do small talk here? Talk about the weather there? And so he said, you need to give yourself long stretches of silence in your day to reclaim your energy.
Speaker 2: Which is why I'm not always cheerful when the text. Oh golly, Samantha, I.
Speaker 1: D has been very, very fascinating.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm talked about Baba before, because I have so much respect for him.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite thing about him?
Speaker 2: Did he walked that talk? He was a happy man. He really every picture you ever see of Mayha Baba, he is laughing and smiling and jovial, and he saw the world as a kind and wonderful place, and his followers do too. I've been blessed to have spent some time with folks who are devout Baba followers, and they saw the world that way. I think he was a great gift to us. I think he inside Baba and certainly many other avatars that we could go off on a whole month long tangent here, I'm sure, but I think that there's a lot for me that when and that's a part of what happened when I was doing the research for this episode. I dove back into concepts that I realized laid the groundwork for a lot of what I believe, not necessarily that I'm good at practicing, but that I certainly respect and am grateful for. And I don't know that we've ever had any conversation about Hindu or Muslim culture from India before, or avatars like Mader Baba.
Speaker 1: No, and it's high time. What are some things before we close out that you were reminded of?
Speaker 2: Well, it sent me right back down my Melanie rabbit hole in an interesting way. She also wrote a song called Baby Day, and the chorus is take you and apple, and take you a song and watch a baby day be born. And back in the days when I and Joel and some other friends used to do our own version of a sunrise service on Easter morning, we would take guitars and we would sing Baby Day as the sun came up. And Wow, there's just such a connection and so much of our respect and a curiosity for exploring and finding respect for belief systems that may not be one that we knew very well. I mean, folks have heard me say forever, I've told that story about coming home and telling my daddy I wanted to be a Buddhist and because of the Beatles, because that's all I knew about India was that there were Buddhist people in India and the Beatles were going over there, so the bounderies and Bodha people over there. I mean, really, that's what I thought, age and my sweet Daddy's saying, just be the best Buddhist you could be. And what a gift that sentence was because it opened the door for exploration of looking at the world through so many different lenses. And certainly part of that has spent my respect for mey and Baba all these years, and it took me back to wonderful places of my respect for Baba. And folks, I know, who are his followers.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a testimony to your father too, given that he was such a strong Christian man. Oh yeah, you know, and to say that to his child, it just says a lot about the kind of wise person he was.
Speaker 2: He was. My daddy was a pretty cool guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we've went out of time for my research, and that's totally fine. We will revisit mine in February. And mine wouldn't really match with this lovely, beautiful show anyway, because I researched a twentieth century French alchemist who may or may not have achieved immortality, and then I researched a mystic teacher who may have been a manipulator or may have really been a profound teacher. The jury's still out. So some interesting people that will keep talking about and bring to you next month. But next week we have some fantastic guests we're going to introduce you to, so we have lots of exciting and fun stuff coming up. I really appreciated learning more about these people, and it really has made me think about often the futility of speaking. And I don't even know if I mean that when I say that, because I think a lot of speaking is so important. You know, we need to be heard, and we need to hear others, and we need to hold space for them, and we need to be really really good stewards of listening. But I think there's a lot of power in silence too, and all of these men you've talked about today definitely lived that and taught that.
Speaker 2: There's an episcopal retreat center not far from where you and I live. That host periodically throughout the year silence times in one of their houses on the property. And I have been twice and spent three or four days in silence at that retreat center, and it was just wonderful to be in a space with that was the expectation. And one time there was another woman in the house and I had been assigned a downstairs bedroom and she had been assigned an upstairs bedroom far down the hall from me. And I spent three or four days with this woman and we never spoke, We never ever ever talked, and we had meals together. We sat at a table in silence together. And my last morning there, as I had packed up and was going to have breakfast with her one more time, I wrote a note and just put it by her plate that just said, I hope you've gotten what you've come for in this weekend to this time together. And she looked up and smiled at me, and that was as close as we came to talk.
Speaker 1: Wow, you've done that a few times. I half, yeah, I think that's so commendable because I would have to write that note and then add PS, I love your shoes. Where'd you get them? Here's my email. Let's talk, of course, but I can be silent. I do enjoy silence, but I also love meeting people and hearing their stories.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, so I was curious, as I was very curious as to why she was saying, what she was doing, what she was up to. But I was saying to write and to meditate. Yeah, and that's what I did.
Speaker 1: When you were saying, why you love his work, mayor Boba's work because he walks his walk. That's how I always talk about you. I do when people say, like, oh, tell me about your friend, your co host, and I always say what I love about deb is she walks her walk.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah Yeahoi.
Speaker 1: No, you actually do what you say and what you teach. And like you said, there's very very few people you know, like I actually do play with crystals every day, and we do actually meditate every day. But I don't think everyone you know, so you do that in many, many, many ways. Okay, before we end, this show is airing in your ears on Sunday, but we're recording it on January sixth and today, deb Did you know this? In Ireland this is called Women's Christmas?
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Tell a traditional day for brothers and women to rest and celebrate after the busy holiday season, and they have the men take over holiday chores and the women will gather in pubs or homes for meals and socializing and just take the entire day to rest and relax. It falls on January sixth, twelfth Night, or the Feast of the Epiphany, officially marking the end of Christmas festivities. I love that idea.
Speaker 2: I do too. I think it ought to come more than once the year.
Speaker 1: I do too. I think we should give ourselves what is it called Women's Christmas or Little Christmas? We should give ourselves a little Christmas day off every quarter at.
Speaker 2: Least, right, I thanks so, absolutely so.
Speaker 1: If you guys are listening to this on Sunday and you missed January sixth to take a day off, take this as you're cue to plan a little day of rest after the busy bustliness of the holiday season we just had. I still need those reminders, don't we?
Speaker 2: Oooh? Do we not? You know I'm already ready for a silent retreat against I'm just thinking about it makes me want to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's go be silent for now, everybody. We hope you enjoyed this episode. We'll be back with you next week. In the meantime, be the light for yourself and others.
Speaker 2: Take care everyone.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Psychic Teachers, your podcast for seekers, light workers, mystics, and magical thinkers. If you like the show, please tell a friend or leave us a review wherever you listen to your podcast. For more information, check out our Facebook page Psychic Teachers, or our websites Samantha Fay dot com and Debbowen dot com. Thanks for listening and have a great week.