Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: What's Up?
Speaker 3: Happy Thursday, everybody, welcome back to Reconnected here with Chris Higgins. You might know his bearded film guy from Instagram or YouTube, but more importantly, we're gonna be talking about his brand new podcast tonight.
Speaker 2: Chris, welcome back, my friend.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you man.
Speaker 5: I'm stoked to be on another episode. I thought the one I thought the first time was like a one and done. I was like, I'm never gonna get a chance to do that again. I tell you texted me and I was like, okay, yeah, welcome.
Speaker 3: Even then, like the I don't even remember when we schedule this, but it's been so long since we talked about it. Because I schedule so far in advance, it feels like forever too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was like beginning of December, because I remember. I remember thinking I'll be on before January, and then you were like, I got January ninth. I was like, oh, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: And that was only because of a cancelation.
Speaker 5: A second choice.
Speaker 2: I see, okay, No, I wanted to use it as possible. It was a nice, nice win.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the big thing to talk about before we get into anything tonight.
Speaker 2: California is on fire. Do anything that you can to help.
Speaker 3: Obviously, as far as I know, everybody that is friends of the show, whether they are generally watching or a part of it, or you know them from labels, As far as I know, everybody is safe. There are a couple very close calls friend of mine that lives in Altadena, which a lot of people hear that name right now and get terrified because Altadena is basically gone. He lives in an apartment in Altadena, and somehow the apartment building is safe, but pretty much the rest of the town is decimated at this point. I've got two or three more friends that are evacuated still that are keeping an eye on everything, but everything.
Speaker 2: Else Jeremy's fine. Stan is fine.
Speaker 3: I know people are gonna worry because Craig from Deaf Crocodile is not in the chat right now.
Speaker 2: He's fine.
Speaker 3: We just talked on the phone literally not even twenty minutes ago. He's just unfortunately not gonna be able to be here for the show tonight. But it is crazy. Have you been staying up to date on everything happening out there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean just through I feel like half of what I saw on Facebook and stuff was a little bit of kind of fake news, like a lot of people posting the Hollywood sign on fire and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But keeping up as much as I can.
Speaker 5: I do want to say, though, there is a YouTuber that I follow in our community, and his name is a Hunter Bolding, and he's a He's somebody that I followed for a long time. He's got a great channel, great collection. He actually posted yesterday that he lost his entire house and his collection.
Speaker 4: Uh in the he specifically said the eaton fire in LA.
Speaker 5: He didn't post anything as far as like any sort of go fundme or anything like that, just saying that is like if you don't if you're not subscribed to him, go over and subscribe. That way we can kind of keep up on what's going on. He's the only person I've seen that I personally know who has been directly affected. So I want to make sure that was known, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's a that's a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: I mean, the amount of the amount of people that I've seen online two that are like their celebrities, fuck them, they're rich. They can just build another house, and it's like not not exactly like a lot of these people. Sure you may have seen them in one or two things, but they're not like rolling in money. And because it's California, a lot of people don't even understand a lot of these insurance companies have just quietly canceled the fire protections from some of these because it's more dangerous, so they must they might genuinely just be screwed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's insane, and I mean it's very fortunate that I'm saying fortunate. It's it's it's fortunate that there haven't been more lives lost. You know, there have been five reported, which is unfortunate that it's any number at all, but it could have been a lot worse. I know, me as the animal lover, I think of every you know, rabbit and whatever else is in the woods. I think of all of them. I think of the dogs and cats, all that stuff. But it's it's it's surreal. It doesn't feel real, Like I don't have the news at my house. I don't have cable, so I don't watch the news. We went over to my mother in law's house and they were watching the news and seeing the endless footage play. It's nightmare material watching it from the other side of the country. So I can't imagine, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean even some of the like the bigger names that we know that has lost stuff, like Billy.
Speaker 4: Fritages, Yeah, Billy Crystal.
Speaker 3: Billy Crystal lost his house and they've lived in that house since nineteen seventy nine, Like they've raised kids in that house, and they've seen how many different presidents, they've seen how many different you know, ups and downs on their careers, and now the house is literally just non existent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And I do think there's a difference between we all see the celebrities who own five or six houses, right whatever, and it is very easy to say, like, hey, they can just pack up and go to their other home. Not all that is not every celebrity a is that that way with their money that they're going to own them many properties. But I know, no matter how many homes one can own, there's always one that is sentimental where you said, you raise your family, you do everything. And even my apartment, which I don't even own, I pay way expensive rent on. If I was to suddenly lose this in some catastrophic experience, this is still home, right, it would be, it would be unimaginable, So I can't even begin to to to really think about it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Josephine de Marco.
Speaker 3: One of the comments we get every week of what she's been watching, Genevieve, Tunes of Glory, Choose Me, the Visitors, Davy l Arthur. I think I've seen Arthur, but that's honestly the only one from this list I'm dying to see. Choose Me now that it's coming out in Criterion, You see any of these ones?
Speaker 5: Choose me I'm interested in. I've seen Day of the Owl, but it was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Eugene Levy did lose his house, that's right, yep. Oh god that sucks. Yeah all right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, again, like lots of lots of terrible things happening out there. It seems like it's just been a really, really crappy year for most people. I know, somebody is going through something every day. It feels like my mom's car was total this year already. For those that are gone, Yeah, my brother was driving it and somebody rear ended them after driving through a red light. Yeah, and like it shouldn't have been totaled and they told it out. Now she has to go buy a new car. I don't know how many people know this. I don't think I even posted on the discord because it's been such a crazy week. My youngest kid broke his arm last Friday in like a really random ass accident.
Speaker 5: All right, please tell the story if you can.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it's freaking cold in Missouri right now, like on top of you know, a lot of people know that we had this big polar vortex coming last Friday. It wasn't that bad, but it was definitely like stay inside cold. We were all in my kid's bedroom. They both share a room, and they've got one of those like over the closet door basketball hoops, and so we were playing horse and it's not like a violent game, nobody's running or anything. My youngest thought it would have been brilliant to put one of his feet up on their laundry basket, just so he could be off balance and take a shot. And of course it's a laundry basket. So the moment he put his foot up there, it shot out from under him and his feet went with it, flew up in the air and landed on both of his hands to break his fall, and his left hand like it wasn't under him or anything, but he sprung up and he was like, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: He does this every single time.
Speaker 3: But right after he said I'm okay, like he thought about it for a second and then started crying, and I was like, no, let's take a break and unlike just breathe and make sure everything's okay. He was shocked. He wasn't gonna move everything real quick. And then about twenty minutes later, we'd set him up with ice and we're like, here's drink some water, here's some ice for your arm. He was sobbing and so me knowing that he's always okay. Within like a minute tops something was very wrong, so took him in. We had to go to one hospital and it was the closest hospital. They verified through xtual X ray that was broken, so we had to go drive to the children's hospital and then we were at that hospital for almost eight hours. After that, we had to have an orthopedic surgeon come in, not like put him in like not put him under a deep sleep or anything like that, but they give him like some drugs to feel sleepy and go to sleep, just like a little bit so that they can realign the bone. Thankfully, it wasn't bad. It was like a slight push. But yeah, everything is Everything is good. He's in a cast four to six weeks. He's gonna be fine. Just just crazy.
Speaker 4: So have you have you ever broken a bone?
Speaker 3: He is the first one in our entire house to break a bone.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've never broken a bone.
Speaker 2: Me neither, my wife neither. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I Actually before we were recording an episode the other day, I was talking to Chuck. The conversation came about milk and how I was part of what I feel like, the last generation to like drink whole milk as a kid, like you got home from school.
Speaker 4: That's what our parents gave us.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I've never broken a bone.
Speaker 5: And I every single time you could stop me on the street and ask me, and I will claim that it was the whole milk when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: So that is hilarious everybody's sharing of breaking bones in the chat. Now I'll miss forty five on the big screen, cellist. That sounds crazy. Speaking of that, let's go into our normal recent watches and pickups.
Speaker 2: What have you been picking up lately.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I did just get this because I'm not a giant media book guy most of the time because I can't read. Most of them are German, so I cannot read German and I want to read the material and I can't. I'm not gonna sit there with Google Translate. But Cape Light was a company I was always aware of. I never picked anything up by them before I go I go on Blu ray dot com and I picked up The Lover Nice see. Yeah, so this is one I had never seen before. I'd only heard of it kind of like doing research on other movies and stuff. And I actually watched this last night and it looked incredible and I actually really really like I do think I did open this up a little too far and I kind of started hearing the creaking of the spine because it does kind of feel like, I don't know, I feel like I feel like media books are tough, you know, especially on the spine and stuff. So the moment I kind of opened it too far, I was like, oh, I gotta be careful. But yeah, I love this setup, just the little write ups and all that stuff. So this was a fun This is a fun grab man, my first one from k P Light.
Speaker 2: Capel like does good work.
Speaker 3: They've got good visual quality generally, and what they got in the media books honestly pretty damn nice.
Speaker 2: I tend to like them quite a bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so that was one. Let's see what else I have up here. I think I talked to you about this the other night. I picked up do you say it? Hacks In?
Speaker 2: That's how I say it. I hope that's correct.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I picked up Hackson from Radiance. This is when I was back and forth on One thing that's cool is when you get into something like podcasting, you really start diving into more films of like historical significance and more into things that are kind of like for research purposes, right, and this is one that I want to pick up. I've never seen this. I have seen images from it. I know some of the most iconic moments, But to tell me to show me the images from this movie and tell me it's from nineteen twenty two, it almost doesn't connect in my in my head doesn't feel that way. So I inched to check this out. This is a beautiful release from Radiance. Of course, with the booklet, a ton of bonus features great audio commentaries all that stuff. So I'm excited to take a dive into this. And then my last one is is a massive one. This thing's huge. I picked up the Art Attack pack nice from Umbrella.
Speaker 4: I am a.
Speaker 5: Little bit of a.
Speaker 4: Like Terrifier.
Speaker 5: I love what it's doing for the genre, mostly because seeing like the birth of a new icon in my day and age is incredible. I do think he's art is kind of a victim to the spirit Halloween crowd, yeah, you know where people like My wife was at a convention recently and she was like, some guy was wearing a Terrifier three shirt and she overheard him saying, I've never seen any of these movies. I just bought this because I think the shirt's really cool. What yeah, yeah, so. But at the same time, I love these movies and I wanted a pack of everything together. Umbrella does a great job with this, And I didn't get the super gusto with the glasses and the lego and all that other I didn't feel the need for that. But another reason was the first of all, they're all in four K, so all hallows eve. Terrifier one, two three, all in four K. Individual slip covers a booklet the Whole Gamut, But there's an exclusive commentary on Terrifier three with the makeup effects artists who for the third movie was not Damien Leone. So really really really interested to dive into that because I think Terrifier three had some of my favorite kills of the franchise, right, but this thing weighs like nine pounds and I don't know where I'm going to put it yet. So yeah, on.
Speaker 3: That one is all Hallows Eve on four K as well, because I thought that was only Blu Ray the way they advertised it.
Speaker 5: Uh, I thought it was on four K.
Speaker 4: Let me, uh, let's see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like that comment just said I didn't see that. I didn't see the name on that comment, so I apologize. But Danny in Australia, it is ushering a new generation of horror fans, which I love. I just there's something too when you're when you're like a little bit old, like I feel like like I'm in my thirties, So the trendy stuff, there's a little bit of like general opposition to it first because you're like it's kind of like, uh, people who have only seen Scream they love horror movies. But they only know ghost Face and Scream, right, and then that's kind of like the walls that they put up. If it's not like Scream, they're not into it. I feel like there's a little bit of that with Terrifier. But it is a great entry way and I just hope that everybody who loves Terrifier does uh, does branch out and you know, watch more. Let's see here. Yeah, it doesn't say it's on the Blu ray or the four K. It just says it's just there. It just says the yeah, the anthology prequel film.
Speaker 2: So I have no idea.
Speaker 5: If anybody knows for sure, correct us.
Speaker 3: All right, So my recent stuff I had, I was gifted a one dollars gift card to Brother Belile. Go check out Brotherblile dot com if you are after any boutique stuff.
Speaker 2: Chris brought up media books.
Speaker 3: They are the best and most up to date carrier of German media books in the whole US. If you want any of those fancy ones, They've got all the crazy art from overseas. Dustin is even carrying art prints from I think it's pronounced Alon. Sheety is the artist that has done a lot of Terrifier prints and they have exclusive They're the only carrier in the US of exclusive art prints that are autographed of these Terrifier prints right now, Brother Blile dot Com. That did not need to sound like a commercial. I'm sorry that it did, but I tried to price it perfectly so that I could put in one order because Brother Belile has if you spend one hundred dollars yet free shipping.
Speaker 2: I had one hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars gift card and I was like, I don't want to spend any money, how do I get this as close as possible two one hundred dollars? And so I got these three titles. I got Cheerleaders Wild Weekend that just came out from MVD Rewind. I got this eighty eight Film's release of Knife under the Throat, which normally I wouldn't have bought an eighty eight Films release, so because it was a gift card, I chose to do it. And then I got in the one that I've been wanting for the last couple of months, pretty much more than anything, the Nothing Is Sacred boonwel box from Radiance Films with those three that I think is one of the best pieces of art from the entire year, and my total was like one oh one ninety seven.
Speaker 2: It was the best outcome possible.
Speaker 5: That's dude. That's my favorite thing to do is to challenge myself with a with gift cards. It's like a it's like a sport. But that nothing is sacred box set currently in a cart right now with Atomic Movie Store.
Speaker 4: So I need somebody to convince me to uh I did.
Speaker 5: I did pay off a pay in for her today, so that that opens one up for me. That dude, radiance is so cool because there's so many times when I hop into like, uh, my wife got me the Die Gothic Box and that has been one of my favorite sets.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: Okay, so listen as a special feature.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's probably just a ten edp.
Speaker 3: Uh. Yes, that Ratios Box is the best release ever. Face the movie says, do it, Chris.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I need to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna I'm just gonna do it.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 4: Eighty eight films?
Speaker 2: One? What was the U?
Speaker 3: It is Knife under the Throat. I can't show you the back because there's a lot of nipples.
Speaker 5: It sounds like my kind of movie.
Speaker 2: A lot of nipples. Yeah, it's supposed to be pretty decent.
Speaker 4: They I have.
Speaker 5: They have been sort of a favorite of mine. I just picked up Eyeball on four K. Loved that, and then I also have a preoder out for there.
Speaker 4: I believe it's.
Speaker 5: Called Crime and it comes out of the twenty first Yeah, I have it right here. It's a geez sorry, dead air love and Crime, which is I know absolutely nothing about. I just read this very very short description and sold. And I did the same thing with the The Guy a Gut trilogy or Gueta Gut trilogy. Yeah, which I've been diving into so much like Severin and a couple other labels. They're one that I've been loving to jump into blind.
Speaker 2: So good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so those are pickups.
Speaker 2: How about recent watches?
Speaker 5: All right, let's get a letterboxed up here. So I watched something. You're gonna be shocked that I've never seen this before. My wife did, dude. I watched the Whiplash.
Speaker 2: Oh good movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, finally, goddamn anxiety attack. That was like I had heard that term get thrown around with uncut gems and I didn't have that experience with it. Whiplash the JK. Simmons character, and his performance is so good at it just kind of like has a way of calming you down and you feel like everything is okay, and in a blistering storm of a couple seconds, it's all not okay and my heart rate would explode. And I loved it, especially I don't want to spoil it, but especially in the end when that really comes to fruition. But the movie shots so well. I thought Miles Sawer was great. The drum stuff is great. I'm not a drummer, but I can appreciate it. It's my favorite drum movie next to Nick Cannon's drum line.
Speaker 3: Druml is fun, ridiculous movie, but it's fun for sure, which.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I haven't seen Sound of Metal, so yeah, I'm dragging right now. I think I'm gonna get kicked off. It was a great movie though, I really really loved it. And then today I watched a couple so I watched Mausoleum from nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a fun one. I watched the Vinegar Syndrome release. That's a movie that has a ton of great ideas and a lot of great intentions, and it kind of feels like it's in the middle of a weird place for eighties horror, where you know it hasn't it Eighties horror at the time still hasn't figured out what it is. And it's supernatural and it's a slasher and it's sexy and it's doing all of this stuff and it doesn't put.
Speaker 4: It all together great.
Speaker 5: But John Carl Buckler his effects are incredible. So I love that one. And then I watched I finally watched the Arrow four K of the House by the Cemetery. Ah, fun movie. Yeah, I love that movie. I that's to me a central horror viewing. If you're going to if you're going to dive into history of horror and you want to watch out like what Shutter would call the Essentials.
Speaker 2: The whole Gates of Hell trilogy has to be on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has to be.
Speaker 5: And how I actually think House by the Cemetery is very subdued for a full G movie. It doesn't go as far as I think what he's known for, but it shot incredibly well. It does lean into the HP Lovecraft stuff that he was kind of going for, not as much. I don't think it hit the mark fully It's it's sort of there, but the gore is a whole another level.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: Every single one of his movies, the effects aren't even great. It's just the way they're filmed and the effect well, okay, I say they're not great, damn good. Okay, ah, you know, compared to there are some movies that have great effects that look like they look real. They look really great, you know what I mean. Okay, I lost myself here. Okay, they look real and they look really Sometimes with Fulci, it just kind of looks like it just looks like they melted some some chocolate and some candy and plastered it on somebody's foot.
Speaker 3: But it works, and with full t you can you can frequently see like the moment they switch out for the dummy, I mean, like City the Living Dead when she's barfing up the intestines, you can clearly see that. When they switch it out the drill scene from City to Living Dead, you can clearly see you. And either way they're still like iconic, really well made shots, especially for their time.
Speaker 4: Oh oh for sure. I mean you're comparing like it.
Speaker 5: If you want to look at effects in his movies, you're going up against like legends like Tom Savini, where it's almost flawless, you know what I mean, everything Savini did is flawless. So to look at a lot of Folci stuff and kind of say, like compare the effects, you really can't. But like, especially when the babysitter death, when the blade is cutting both sides of the neck, I'm watching that and I'm like, damn, how did they because you can clearly tell it's not a dummy, right, and I can't see I can't. I just couldn't figure out how they pulled it off, you know. So I just appreciate it so much. And I love like when he's when he's pulling the when they're dragging the bodies away and it's like ouey and gouey and the hair is all matted, and it just brings this this this really gross sense to it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, ful chy, wicked.
Speaker 5: Stuff, man, good good stuff.
Speaker 2: Any other recent watches you want to shout out?
Speaker 5: I thought I had one more. Let's see, I thought there was one that I had in mind that I forgot when I was kind of going on that. Oh yes, I did rewatch Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula rough past with that movie.
Speaker 4: I used to not like it.
Speaker 5: My wife loves it, so I watched it with her a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it a little bit more, still didn't fully get into it, but the power of the rewatch this time around, I fell in love with it, absolutely love all the little tricks, how everything was done practically. It made me think of in a different scale, but like what Nolan did with Oppenheimer, doing as practical effects as he could and kind of going back to the old school filmmaking techniques of pull off, especially all the stuff in the bomb launch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it kind of made me think of that.
Speaker 5: But there's these little moments like when Keanu is waiting for Dracula's carriage to come, and when a carriage does come, the carriage driver reaches out his arm and it reaches out to normal length and then all of a sudden, it reaches out just far enough. That's kind of uncanny, and it grabs. And there's a great little documentary on the Blu Ray that talks about how they just had him on a crane which allowed on.
Speaker 4: The reach a little further.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's like these little things that I picked up on I'm like, this is so good, and like the storytelling, the pacing of the movie is crazy. I love all the different forms of Dracula. I love the production design, and I love that Copola's son did all the effects. It's just really cool. Like there's a moment when forgetting her name, I'm terrible with names. Who is Winona Riter's friend? I forget her name? Remember either there's a scene when she's coming down the stairs holding the baby and she's coming down to where the tomb is and as she's coming down, the candles light and I'm watching the movie and I'm thinking like, okay, yeah, there's a little thing in the lights to candles. It's cool. No, they shot it. They did it in reverse, right, Like it's such a little trick I didn't even think about. And it gives this interesting movement to it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I think it is Sadie Frost who has playing sad Yeah. I laughed because you said, who's why owned a writer's friend, And travisaid beetlejuice.
Speaker 5: That's twice, man, We gotta be careful, all right, Yeah, Rewatches, That's that's.
Speaker 2: Really been about it for Watches.
Speaker 3: For me, it's been kind of a light week, taking care of my kid and my mom and working on some other projects that I'm not allowed to say the titles of. I've been doing one major project for Deaf Crocodile that they've announced so I can mention it. Working on their release of the inflatable sex Doll of the Wasteland, which is going to blow some people's minds if you haven't seen it yet. The restoration looks incredible. It is a pinky violence film. It should be releasing in just a few months. I think it's like March or April that it's coming out. Did a couple things for the disc on that one. Working on one more thing, and then we should be done with our part on that one. To update for last week. Last week, I mentioned that my kids discovered the Night of the Museum films and they loved the first two, so we watched the third one. I had never seen the third one. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't a masterpiece or anything, but it's it's very much the exact same feeling of the other ones. And then we even watched the animated movie, which is kind of funny because it's a lot of the same jokes. But they had to recast Robin Williams obviously, and a lot of that. They just didn't want to show the same people on screen, so they did it animated and it wasn't bad. But yeah, it just came out like two and a half years ago. Oh okay, So now there's four Night at the Museum movies and one of them is animated. Uh, and then we uh, we've been because I've been recording more and working on stuff late, I have been not able to watch like a full movie after a lot of those. So my wife and I were watching Veep for the first time ever. Hilarious show. Julia Louis Dreyfus is incredible. Check it out if you never have. It's a it's a fun movie. Especially want you when you want to just look down on politics because everything is terrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, the political political stuff I struggle with because I feel like, I don't know, you watch horror because it's it's such a detachment from reality, and then you watch political and no matter how outlandish it is, it still connects to especially what's happening today, and I'm always like I was hitting too close to home.
Speaker 2: The The Veep.
Speaker 3: Is hilarious, because they just lampooned everything. Everybody is just an idiot basically, and nobody is off the shopping block. They're gonna make fun of everything, and you just better be ready because any character that you like on the show, they're gonna be made fun of at some point. But the big thing, you are no longer on YouTube. All of your stuff that was there is still there, but you're not making new stuff. Can we share with everybody why that is?
Speaker 5: I mean, we talked about this a couple of days ago, and it was YouTube was great because I needed an outlet to do this and I had finally, like grown up the nerve to do it. And I was very happy with what I was putting out for a long time, and slowly that just kind of started like dwindling and dwindling. But what was happening was I was in the middle of kind of like a personal change where I was more focused on learning about movies and watching movies, analyzing movies, and less and less I was interested in doing physical media pickups and all of that kind of stuff, right, And that's kind of like I'm conflicted in ways sometimes how how the YouTube community fluctuates and where it goes, and I'm never one to do anything for views.
Speaker 4: Never like on our podcast.
Speaker 5: We just did an episode on Spider Labyrinth, which is like the worst way to kick off a podcast about movies. We started with the worst possible movie we could have, So there's nothing I ever do with the purpose of likes.
Speaker 2: Or the record. Not a bad movie, just obscure.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, no, no, no, not a bad movie at all. But I mean, take a poll, how many people have even heard of Spider Labyrinth?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: So there was nothing about that decision that had anything to do with let's start this show off with a bang and getting out of YouTube. Was it kind of felt good like it. It felt like I was making a change to grow into something new with the podcast, and ever since I've left, I'm able to support my friends on YouTube more than I was when I was actually on the platform, which is kind of a funny thing that happened, but.
Speaker 4: Also too gone.
Speaker 2: Is the.
Speaker 4: Is like the thinking.
Speaker 5: About, oh, what's a good video idea, or like, oh, what's a good thumb now? Or comparing myself to other which I know you shouldn't do that, but you do it anyway without even realizing you're doing it.
Speaker 4: So leaving it behind has been great.
Speaker 5: And what I'm moving into what I started, I think is even is one hundred times better than anything I ever did on YouTube. So yeah, I kept the videos up because maybe one day, maybe one day I'll inch my way back on.
Speaker 4: But we'll see, it depends.
Speaker 3: Brendan says there's fighting between certain YouTube physical media people right now. I'm so glad I'm not in any of this to even understand what is happening.
Speaker 5: That sounds awful, Yeah, it's I don't know, man, you have this weird thing anytime anything drops right, seven drops one four K. You have the people who who get their review copies and they rush to get their videos out, and that's great, people need that information. Then you have people who kind of have counter arguments and are like, hey, look this is not good because in one scene, in one frame, there's this weird little thing back here and it's targeting and it endlessly. I'm not even involved in it. I just have seen something and I'm like, Okay, this doesn't need to go this far. Can we just talk about movies please? This is not a competition, So I don't, you know, I just happen to get out right before that stuff really got crazy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean a lot of people have asked me for stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But this is exactly why I don't do pick up videos. This is why I stay away from reviews. This is why I really only talked about things that I like, because if I say I don't like something, I don't need twenty seven people arguing in the comments about, well, you're wrong, it's bad because of X, or it's good because of X. Even now, like I'll say I like something and I get I still get comments every once in a while. That tells me I'm getting paid to say I like a release. It's like, if I was getting paid to say I liked releases, I'd be saying I like a hell of.
Speaker 2: A lot more releases than I said because I need the money.
Speaker 5: But like, why can't people like just just like what you like? If you think something looks great, then just right then then you know, let people be happy with that. I'm not. Somebody messaged me on Instagram the other day asking me if I got the new seven four K, and I was like no, and they were like, why didn't say it? Like I wasn't mean I was just like, no, I haven't grabbed it, and they're like, why not. I'm like, I'm perfectly good with my Blu Ray, Like, I don't. I don't feel I'm not a four K purist. It doesn't mean I don't believe in it, because because there are times when it, especially when you look at older movies, it looks really really good and it does enhance.
Speaker 4: But I don't, you know, I don't uh.
Speaker 5: I don't need to spend thirty three, thirty four, thirty five dollars on on a four K. I just don't need to, especially when you get into a conversation of like AI tune ups and you know all that other stuff like seven, there was all these rumors about AI stuff. Of course, James Cameron is a constant target for I don't even understand that.
Speaker 4: Stuff, dude, I don't even know.
Speaker 5: I can't tell you mostly anything about the restoration process. I can tell you a little bit about film and why certain film stocks look the way it does, and so I can talk about that. But like when I buy a four K, I don't look at I've I think twice in my life I've ever looked at the technical specs on the back of a four K case, and most of the time it's because I'm looking for the freaking year the movie came out, which they never list on there anyway, So you know, I just don't That's not what it's about for me, you know. And there's a space for that, Like people need to do that, you know, we need to have that information out there. I'm not I'm not saying that we can't do that, right, but you know, you have a thousand people giving the same review on an item just kind of turns into you know, yeah, like that AI most people? How do people spot that stuff? What are we zooming into? Like the background of things and a lot.
Speaker 2: Of stuff, guess.
Speaker 3: But the other big thing, what is the best way to say this, because like AI encompasses a lot more than people think. It's not just creating digital information out of information that isn't there a lot of times? What is technically AI is an algorithm to detect issues. Yeah, and that is technically AI being used on a restoration. But then restoration artists are going in and restoring the issues they get detected. It's not an AI restoration, which is very very different, which, funny enough, I think we get to.
Speaker 2: Talk about tonight on one of the releases.
Speaker 4: Oh controversy, I.
Speaker 3: Think, or maybe it was last week. Let me let me take a quick look because I don't remember it. Uh no, it is tonight. We will absolutely be calling it, be covering that tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think AI, especially it's involved in so like you said, so much more than people think. Gone are the days of somebody standing over a film real and frame by frame circling imperfections to go into fix you know that stuff AI is using so much. If most people found out exactly how much it was involved in, there would be a major uproar, A major major uproar, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That is true, and uh, for some situations we will see it and we'll talk about that in a little bit tonight, I promise.
Speaker 2: All right. So, yeah, the podcast. Did you even see the name of the podcast? I think you should?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't think we were there yet. So the podcast is called Beyond the Blood, a horror commentary podcast, and go ahead.
Speaker 3: Link link to subscribe is in the description. Please go subscribe. He's got an intro episode and then the first episode covering Spider Labyrinth that he just mentioned your guest was an idiot, but it was it was a good listen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, worst choice ever, Just kidding.
Speaker 5: So for people who don't know, because I've had to explain this a lot, which is okay, we are a We name it a horror commentary podcast because we're not just breaking down and dissecting movies on our own. We're actually using the audio commentary is supplied as a guide through. So the first episode that is a true movie with you for Spider Labyrinth, a little bit of a different episode than what's coming because we don't have anybody else who's been on a commentary track, so you know, like on the next episode we're doing My Bloody Valentine. We have so much to cover from what we learned in the audio commentary with the director that the flow is going to be totally different because I don't have the director there to talk about right the commentary.
Speaker 4: So the flow is going to be different.
Speaker 5: And it is a long form, so it's not a show where we're trying to get through the movie in forty five minutes to appease people who don't want to listen. Beyond that, it's a show designed for if you love the movie, then you're gonna love the deep dive we go into whether or not it takes an hour, hour and a half two hours. To me and to my co host, we're just hanging out with friends, and I can't I can't put a time moment on that, you know, I just can't do that. But but yeah, we have announced the next six months late My Bloody Valentine will be coming out beginning of February, and then we're also going to be putting out a bonus episode for the My Bloody Valentine three D remake and too yeah, really really good man. And I'm excited because with every commentary, not only do I learn more, but it just gets me excited to continue diving in. We're not even to the point we're not even doing commentaries with like historians or critics or anything like that yet. So once we get into that territory and we're a little bit more established, I think that's when the real fun is going to open up, because I think commentaries are the most underutilized bonus feature by audience. I would I would bet most people would watch a make up documentary or an audio commentary, and I don't want that to die. I want those to remain, especially now when you can record it on Skype.
Speaker 3: Dustin is asking is it exclusive to Spotify at the moment or is it on every carrier?
Speaker 5: So at the moment, I'm having in trouble getting it on I'm having a problem getting.
Speaker 4: It on Apple.
Speaker 5: My RSS feed is not working, like not doing it properly. I'm hoping to have both episodes on Apple by beginning of next week at the latest.
Speaker 2: Nice nice, nice nice.
Speaker 3: All right, So, because of the new podcast that Chris has started tonight, after our conversation on announcements and what's coming out next week and all that fun stuff, we're gonna be picking five horror movie commentaries or five horror movies that we would love to do a commentary for just because it sounds incredible, and discussing those. So, yeah, stay tuned after the announcements if you want to hear that discussion. I want to hear what everybody else thinks about that, because it is a bit of an intimidating exercise to think of, because I know a lot of people immediately go oh, like Halloween. Yeah, I'd love to do a commentary for Halloween. It's been done like eleven times, and I have nothing I could add that honestly sounds terrifying to do a commentary for Halloween.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like if people weren't listening to the infamous John Carpenter Jamie Lee Curtis commentary for the first Halloween that you're definitely not listening to my dumbass to a commentary for Halloween, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't want to listen to John Carpenter. Ooh, Chris Is on this one.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah that guy.
Speaker 2: Wow, film guy. Yeah, let's listen to that. All right. Let's get to.
Speaker 3: Our announcements this week, and we are starting with a drug field rage story.
Speaker 2: Crack House.
Speaker 3: This got announced from Vinegar Cinerma as part of their VSA line. This is from nineteen eighty nine from the same director of Deaf Spa Michael Fisher, starring Richard Brountree, Jim Brown, Greg Thompson. This is scanner restored in two K from the thirty five millimeter Interpositive. We got an interview with the cinematographer on here, interview with the actor Greg Thompson, and then a four minute locations video about crack House. Yeah, this is the VSA slipcover and that is crackouse.
Speaker 5: That artwork on the back with the heads on top of the crackpipe s is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's pretty wild.
Speaker 5: That's wild. I know nothing about this movie, but I will say, as a loose vinegar syndrome fan, I actually like the VSA line over the VSU line. I think that's just a title assortment.
Speaker 2: So there's also way more VSA. So that's that is easy.
Speaker 4: You're right, You're right, I think I have more.
Speaker 3: So next one up is Hard eight, coming on four K from Keno here soon. This is, of course, the wonderful Paul Thomas Anderson film, with Philip Baker Hall in one of his rare starring roles, also with John c Riley, Gwyneth Paltrow, Samuel Jackson, Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Speaker 2: Amazing movie. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 5: I haven't, but that cast is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this movie's incredible.
Speaker 3: Came out on Blu ray from Imprint Films for the first time, gosh, like eighteen months or two years ago something like that. This movie frickin' rules. However, it does sort of prove that a lot of the stuff that comes to Imprint that a lot of us are like, yeah, we gotta buy this, and shit, it's gonna be like thirty five dollars. But I finally get this on Blu Ray. If you hang out a little bit, it'll probably come out on Keino about a year a year and a half later, and you can either get the same Blu ray or a four K even. Yeah, this movie is stupendous for anybody who's not seen this.
Speaker 5: I would love to see the workload of Quino Lber on a daily basis, Like I just want to get a look at their calendar, like their production calendar. It's insane how much they're working on and how much they're pumping out on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that, like every Friday they probably have like seventeen titles? Do?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Like I would just lose, Like I don't. I mean to have a complete Keino Lurber collection, it would.
Speaker 2: Be would be a museum.
Speaker 5: Are people going for that? Is there anybody out there going for a complete Kenot collection? Because my hat's.
Speaker 2: Off to you.
Speaker 5: I can't even keep up. There's stuff that comes out on Keno that I like. When a announ's blown away they announced they were working on it and then to release. I totally forgot about it until I walked into a Barnes and Noble and I found it, and I was like, when the hell did Keno Pump missed out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that happens often.
Speaker 3: Man, great movie though, Philip Baker Hall rest in Peace, Philip seymer Hoffman rest in Peace.
Speaker 2: Both of them incredible.
Speaker 3: Not everything from Keno is amazing, though they're also putting out repo men from twenty ten on four K. This is the Forest Whitaker and Jude Law film. Also as Leev Schreiber in this and Riza. I don't think I ever finished this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I watched this not too long ago, and it was h This is part of the era where everything was way too long, Like people complain about the length of movies now, and I don't think they went through this time in like eight to like twenty eleven, when this movie could have been ninety minutes it could have been great. And no, the movie is like two hours long for some reason, and it drags hard, you know. So yeah, yeah, as Paul said, it's it's definitely better in the second half, but I would just watch the original.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Street Trash is now available from Vinegar cinromas part of their VSP line. This is the twenty twenty four Street Trash, not the original eighty Street Trash. This is done by Ryan Krueger, who directed Fried Berry just a couple of years ago. This is a shot on thirty five millimeter. It was finished in four K, and then they downscaled it to put it out on Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Sure they absolutely could have put this out on four K the sad part in two or three years. They very well could put this out on four K. Be like, look what we upgraded. You can get the New Street Trash on four K.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This movie has a commentary with Ryan Krueger and some of the actors and those involved. We got an interview with the screenwriter from the original Street Trash and then the executive producer from the New Street Trash. The producer, Justin Martel, talks about reimagining the cult classic, some behind the scenes featurettes, street Trash, music video, deleted scenes, all that other stuff. All that to say, have you seen this new version of Street Trash yet?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: I haven't, and I'm excited too. I did not buy this. I thought it was I thought it was really weird that it came out on Blu Ray, even though there.
Speaker 4: Could be at four K. Sorry, like pause. I had a little bit of a brain thing there.
Speaker 5: I have a giant attachment to the original Street Trash, and the moment they announced is I was like, Okay, if anybody's gonna do it, it's Ryan Krueger. And then I kind of saw them changing the location, like to South Africa instead of New York and changing a lot of stuff, and I was like, Okay, I'm gonna be open minded. And the trailers sold me. This did not because I don't know. I don't know why just do a blueberry. Like I said, I'm not a four K purist, but thirty five millimeter in four K would look absolutely incredible. And I just kind of feel under sold by this a little bit.
Speaker 2: I get that totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say I did get to watch this, and this movie is hot freakin' garbage. I would never pay more than negative five dollars for this, genuinely.
Speaker 2: I think to own this they would have to pay me.
Speaker 3: I think this was the second worst film of twenty twenty four by a long shot.
Speaker 2: The practical effects are very good, but that's it.
Speaker 3: It's like they understood that they could do good practical effects and said, well, what can we do to sell them, Let's let's put the street trash name on it. Unfortunately, it's not like the original. It's not a good story. It's half hacked, like it's not even like half asked acted.
Speaker 2: It's just not good.
Speaker 4: So I I heard that.
Speaker 5: Okay, my brother in law told me how bad this movie was, and I honestly that was on my head when we yeah, this is this is actual, actual trash. I haven't seen it, but I heard this was bad, and I didn't know how honest we were being when we were going through these announcements. Okay, I never like, okay, all right, if we're gonna go one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: The the the original being here's a bunch of hoboes in New York that drink a bad batch of the tenafly.
Speaker 2: Pit Vier.
Speaker 5: And it it turns, you know, they start melting in the fact that there is a man's dick who gets lopped off and they play catch with it, like you gad a junk yard. You can't leave yeah, in a junk yard. Every opportunity to do a remake was there, especially with the advancement and practical effects, and it did not have to turn into the whatever the salen was called from Reanimator in a Lab. And I don't know what South Africa has to do with any of this, but it just not like way over complicated it.
Speaker 4: And I haven't even seen the movie.
Speaker 3: So again, the practical effects are genuinely stupendous. Ryan Krueger is great at that. However, you should probably not be making movies. Just be a special effects creator. That's totally fine. Team up with somebody who can write and direct good movies and you would be an incredible team. Completely support that.
Speaker 5: Am I wrong in thinking that Ryan Krueger is sort of like our modern dayson Eisner with Hobo with a Shotgun and then Kids Versus Aliens were like, there was a lot of cool ideas there, but it just doesn't really you know.
Speaker 2: I kind of love Hobo with the shotgun, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of do. I kind of do too, and Kids Versus Aliens wasn't anywhere near kind of what I thought I was expecting.
Speaker 4: I was just curious, there's something keen to mine? I had to ask.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's impossible.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could look at it too as Savini, who didn't direct a lot and who has realized, hey, maybe I should just do effects.
Speaker 5: Yeah, could be. I mean, I will say, though, good good, uh good call vinegar syndrome on the commentary. I appreciate the effort there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at least they're still putting extras. Yeah, and that that that looks cool? Okay that that like that, that's cool packaging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely agree.
Speaker 5: We'll say that'll look good next to the bare bones Synaps release.
Speaker 3: Of the original, although they are working on a four K so hopefully we'll see that before twenty twenty eight. All Right, go into the next one. Here's a good movie from Keno. Keno is releasing Inside Man on four K here hopefully soon. This is the two thousand and six really great movie starring Denzel and Clive O and Jodi Foster, Christopher Plumber, Willem Dafoe. She would tell Edgy of four I believe how you say his last name. But of course it's a Spike Lee film and this is fantastic. I haven't seen this a long time. Can't wait to see this four K.
Speaker 5: I will say this movie is the reason why if I'm sitting in like a waiting room too long, or I'm sitting anywhere for too long. I wonder, I wonder if I could replicate that wall and live behind it for a little while.
Speaker 4: And I do it all the time.
Speaker 5: It's just my brain just will click the inside Man every now and again.
Speaker 2: Smart. Smart.
Speaker 3: Then they made a lot of people upset this week by announcing The Snowman from twenty seventeen coming on four K. This is the same director that did Let the Right One In and Tinker Taylor, Soldier Spy and some other stuff. This supposedly was not even fully completed. I think I never got to see this, but that's that's the story that I've heard.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 5: That first comment is crazy that they go back and film they forgotten the first time.
Speaker 4: Oh man, no, I've never seen this.
Speaker 5: I just heard that it was incomplete, Like that's all I heard, so I never gave it another Oh.
Speaker 3: Dustin says it's fantastic and to fight him.
Speaker 5: And to fight him.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Ben goes from Keno bringing the heat to Keno bringing the Oh jeez.
Speaker 5: This is this is a typical Keno announcement reaction. I think there are so.
Speaker 3: Many keynot announcements tonight too. It's crazy. There's so much to cover from them.
Speaker 5: You know. Sometimes I think they just get to hand it a batch and they're like, put all.
Speaker 4: These out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's it's like, Hey, part of the deal is you're gonna put out this, and you're gonna put out this piece of garbage, and you're gonna put out this piece of cinema history.
Speaker 3: To be fair, if I got told I could have you know, I'm owning a label, and I get told I can do the definitive release of The Inside Man or Inside Man, but also.
Speaker 2: You have to release the Snowman. Yeah, I mean yeah, I'm probably gonna release them both because it's fucking Inside Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly. And you're gonna say the sales of Inside Man alone are gonna make up for you know, the Snowman. Anyway, the lack of sales or this movie could have I haven't seen it. It could have our resurgence. We are. It is very it is very popular to revisit what we once claimed as bad movies. And who knows.
Speaker 3: Colton says, I hear The Snowman was worse than trash. It was snow trash and then of course the character in this movie, his name is legitimately Hairy Hole.
Speaker 5: Harry Hole.
Speaker 2: You're allowed to laugh.
Speaker 4: I heard that, Harry Hole.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, yeah, that's that's a plot of the Oh my god, I'm not gonna get into it. Rebecca Ferguson is in this though. She val Kilmer clothes Man and it was shocked. Oh my god. Okay, look like, look at all the talent here. How does this Marco Beltromi on the score? You can you can tell though that the caption here is like trying to sell you if you've never seen this before, to like, look at the talent.
Speaker 2: Right, So, all right, that is the Snowman.
Speaker 3: Then Vinegar Syndrome is part of their VSL line released the Terror Nots from nineteen sixty seven. This is an amicus film. Here is the back of the slip. This is directed by Montgomery Tulley. It's a newly scanned restored in four K. From the OCN commentary with author and film a Story and Brian Hannon. There's an interview with the writer and film critic Kim Newman on this and then some archival interviews. I have heard that this is a very good movie one that I definitely want to pick up eventually. I love the way this cover looks, and I also really liked the stuff from Amiicus, so I will likely be checking this out eventually.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is cool.
Speaker 5: This. I wasn't expecting this during during this week, I didn't really have any like anticipations of what they were going to put out. But this was not This was as far away then I said, it was not heard. No, it wasn't at all. And that cover is incredible alone, Like I this this is a blind by for me. One hundred percent sold just on the RT alone. I love the back too, Yeah, that's that's incredible. And this era too, This is kind of like sixty seventies, these b sci fi movies is a big blank space for me that I want to get into.
Speaker 4: And I think that this is a good a good entry point, you know.
Speaker 2: Looks like it to me.
Speaker 3: Moving right along, Arrow launched there fifty percent off sale at Barnes and Noble. This will likely end on February second. I've not been able to confirm that yet, But if you can't shop at Barnes and Noble, for example, if you are international or something like that, Amazon is price masking pretty much everything that's on sale at Barnes and Noble. The other big thing keep in mind at Barnes and Noble, if stuff goes up for sale and it releases during the sale period, it's already fifty percent off, so you can pre order it at fifty percent off. So there's some good titles coming out this month, like in Glorious Pastards just released, there's a couple others check those or maybe in Glorio's Pastards is next week.
Speaker 4: It is the twenty first I think it is next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be talking about that one, so.
Speaker 5: Okay, And it's twenty five dollars right now on Barnes and Noble, so I would jump on.
Speaker 3: It, okay, Yeah, yeh damn good stuff if you are into Arrow, this is basically as good as the price gets, especially for limited edition stuff. Shatscop Volume three is one hundred dollars right now, which is pretty decent. I know there was a pricing error on the Arrow website this week and a lot of people got stuff much cheaper, but obviously you can't expect that, so so keep in mind, these are about as good as you're gonna get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did order the I'm gonna mess up his last name, the Nico mess master Rock. Yeah Mass, I was gonna say, ahistoricis but master Ck.
Speaker 2: I did order that.
Speaker 5: That was fifty bucks, and I think that was a box set that kind of went under the radar. But thanks to the Aero player, I was able to watch a couple of the movies and I fell in love with them in a weird way.
Speaker 2: Ye so funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, fifty.
Speaker 5: Bucks for that box set is is a great, great price, So I'm happy I grab that.
Speaker 4: Just waiting for that to come in nice.
Speaker 3: Moving to our next Hey, the newest issue of the Physical Media Advocate just release and when it for sale. We we revealed this cover last week, but Amazon rejected me multiple times. Unfortunately, finally got it through and this is now shipping. Has been available for three or four days now. I'm doing pretty well, but not as good as normal. I know a lot of people are kind of sold out right now. In all the sales. Keep in mind, this is a really good thing to purchase. I'm not gonna like hard sell myself necessarily, but there are some incredible, incredible pieces in this issue. The finale, I guess you could call it of the the out of print that we've called the Brian Dimbinski run on Hong Kong and Finances in Hong Kong, the end of Cat three.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible article.
Speaker 3: We have an exclusive interview here with the Eduardo Margheriti over it'll that's like fourteen pages, not kidding. It is a very long interview and it's incredible. You get details like you've never heard before. We have a brand new segment where Adam Lundy's covering the ratings films releases.
Speaker 2: Check it out ten bucks on Amazon for the digital.
Speaker 3: This one's eleven because it's a little longer than normal, so it costs more to print. But I'm making no money on this. I just do this to share with everybody. Please check it out. It is great and to me, this is the best cover we've had yet. I truly love this cover. I love the substance, and I think Planetmando knocked this one out of the park.
Speaker 2: So make sure you go follow him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good mind. Should be here the next couple of days.
Speaker 5: Love that. We're still talking about Blair witche project in twenty twenty five. Love That and Cat three is definitely something I've been watching more movies of so interesting to read that. And yeah, I'm excited for this one to come in. Matt, I love that cover. That's that's sweet. Amazon rejected you a couple of times. Do you do you do you get to put up a counter argument and say.
Speaker 3: Like, no, no, I'm gonna cut you off right there. No, just so dumb they the way they deny you. Sometimes they don't even tell you where the error is. They'll just be like, there's a word too close to the margin, good luck, And I'm like, it's fifty four pages long, which word? Tell me and I'll fix it.
Speaker 5: I remember you saying that before you released the compendium. I think of issues like one through three, and you said that you the words were too close to the barcode, which is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to set multiple templates to be able to print this one. But it's a It's out there and I'm glad people finally be able to see it that The Blair Witch Project article is incredible. Forgot to mention by name, but Kevin Tutor, who's been on Reconnected a couple of time from the Almost Major podcast. He is probably the world's biggest Blaurwitch Project fan and as soon as the second side thing got in his hand, he wanted.
Speaker 2: To just wax poetic on it. And it's a really fun article. So yeah, check it out.
Speaker 3: And there's Brian, the guy that did the Cat three article. He says, it took me a long time to do. That is selling himself short. This guy is like checking educational journals to verify information, having Columbia professors review his work to make sure that it makes sense. Literally, Brian is doing incredible work. Can't wait for you to hear what he's doing next, because it is gonna be incredible.
Speaker 5: I will say I'm not a writer, but I have been working for months on an article to send you for Physical Media Advocate months and I feel like I've gotten nowhere. This shit research and all that. No joke, no joke. Do not ever, anybody out there, don't ever undermine the research because right right, it's incredible the amount that goes into it.
Speaker 3: Plan nine says, what's the best way to view the digital version? This is going to sound like advertising something else, but it's not. If you join the Patreon at the twelve dollars tier, you get the digital version every time it comes out as part of the Patreon so it just it comes to you in a PDF. You can download it and save it forever. And a lot of people don't understand the digital version. All of the pictures and like all of the people that are contributing and all of that, all of those things are hyperlinked. So if you get the digital version and the physical version, you kind of have a reason to get both. So, like on on the out of print that that Brian wrote about the Hong Kong thing, if he references a film, it'll take you to the letterbox page for the film or Wikipedia, or if it's a director, it'll take you to something on them.
Speaker 2: If it's a release, it'll take you to buy the release.
Speaker 3: It takes a hell of a lot of work to do all that, but hope people appreciate that. And yeah, the digital version on Amazon, you get the PDF as well. You can get it's not just a kindle. You can just download the PDF and you'll be fine that way.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Oh this is a weird cover to follow that up with, Oh Jesus Christ. Vinegar Syndrome also announced Child's Play coming to the Cinematograph Line. Not that Child's Play oh no, not that child's play either. This is the nineteen seventy two Sidney Lamette child's play. Yes, this is a cover of Jesus Christ literally on the cover. This is some of the pictures of the media book. This has Bo Bridges in it, James Mason. Robert Preston says. A new audio commentary by Adrian Martin on this who is pretty great. We had a new visual essay by Daniel Kramer about Sidney Lamett, interview with the production designer on this new documentary short by Daniel Griffith, and then a full forty two minute interview that was on Charlie Rose with Sidney Lamett back in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: I love that that's on here.
Speaker 3: There's an hour long documentary chronicling the first half of lu Met's career. New text essays by Mitchell Bauprey from Letterboxed and culture writers Patrick Doll and Madeline Sutton.
Speaker 5: Hmm, yeah this this I'm not gonna say the name, this label, the sub label Cinematograph.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Ooh. Win for me is so great because every single title they put out has been a brand new discovery for me, and I love that.
Speaker 3: Nice yeah, and like like Phillip says, the imprint box for the Sydney Lamett Box Child's Play was in there. I think that was the first time it was released on Blue actually, so now this is the US counterpart to that release.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's a crazy cover. It is a crazy cover, and that the fact that it's framed.
Speaker 2: Just in case.
Speaker 3: Next up the Quiet Ones from twenty twenty four getting a blu ray from Magnolia on May twentieth, and I hear this is actually a rather.
Speaker 2: Good movie, this says.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and eight, a group of men from Denmark and across Europe pull off the biggest heist of all time on Danish soil. Casper, a boxer with few chances left in life, is offered the opportunity to plan the robbery by its foreign initiators. At the risk of losing everything that matters to him. He takes on the challenge in a bid to break all records and secure his place in the history books.
Speaker 5: Was this in any way written error directed by Keller Sheridan?
Speaker 2: It was not.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's all I need to know.
Speaker 2: Not even a little bit.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people that like this star Trek. Lower Decks is putting out a complete series steel book set on March twenty fifth, coming from Paramount. This will be a ten disc collection in two different steel books will also have almost five hours of special features, including commentaries, lower dictionaries, featurettes, and more. You can pre order that now, but if you've been picking them up season by season and you don't want the full series, you can just buy the final season on the same day as well on Blu Ray.
Speaker 5: That's cool. I don't I've never seen it, but it's cool to see Paramount putting some effort into and it's some cool packaging.
Speaker 3: I agree, And TV on Blue is always a good thing. Yes, Oh man, here we go May thirteenth. Maybe the date is supposedly subject to change. MVD Rewind is releasing The Bikini car Wash Company from nineteen ninety two as well as The Bikini car Wash Company Two from nineteen ninety three. This is coming as a double feature, and this is where people are going to come out and ring all of their warning bells because listen to this exact quote from MVD. The Bikini car Wash Company and The Bikini car Wash Company Two were originally shot and produced on standard definition videotape to present these films in the best possible quality. Both feature films have been upconverted, remastered, and upgraded from their original Standard definition for ADP resolution to high definition ten ADP resolution using the latest advanced up conversion AI models, and presented in their one point three three to one original aspect ratios in order to provide the best possible viewing experience. End quote. Now, Yes, so they are using AI to up convert these. A couple things here They say these were shot on video. If I remember right, I believe both of these were shot on film, not on video.
Speaker 2: The other problem, if.
Speaker 3: You're just going to come out and flat out admit that you're using to A, you're using AI to up convert these, you should do that when you haven't put out something like Hail Caesar, which looks like a blurry mess because of the AI restoration that you did on it. I personally think this is going to be a.
Speaker 2: Complete failure of a release from MVD. Rewind.
Speaker 3: I like Eric, he's a nice guy. I wish there was a little more due diligence done on these. Look at that even Brian is saying in the chat these were shot on film. The hard part here is he was just given masters. Whoever he acquired these from, he was given masters, and the first one, from what he can see based on the runtime, it is it's cut. It's not even the original like the full length version of the film. It is a cut version. The sequel is supposedly uncut from what he's saying. But to just come out and say that, it feels I don't know, Like, obviously I want these films out there, and honestly, I feel like you would have done better just putting them as SD files on Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: If that's the best that you could get.
Speaker 3: We don't need to fill in information with AI to up convert to ten ADP, because all that is doing is faking the difference between four eighty two ten ADP.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I appreciate coming out right up front and being honest and telling people. I guess, I guess, I don't, I don't know. It's weird because happy to have these movies out. I have no idea what they are. I'm just happy to have any movie out. I've never seen these, never even heard of them. Unfortunately, they look great, just based on the cover.
Speaker 2: Looking Kati's Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love I love car washes.
Speaker 5: I love having a clean cars. So I guess it really comes down to it's gonna come down to the final product, because if people are happy to have this and the AI doesn't turn it into a mess like the Hell Caesar situation, right then I guess it's it's a it's an okay kind of like one off to have these.
Speaker 4: My thing is.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 4: I would much rather just have these in.
Speaker 5: Whatever condition you can give them to me without the AI, right like if you had done pick two other comedies of this time, raunchy comedies in this in this style that you can upscale without AI and keep the costs low, and then put these on as additional with a little note, Hey, these are whatever condition they were in. I would have been better. I would have been happier with that. But that's just me in my stance.
Speaker 3: H Dude, mcmhon says, isn't that what Blu ray players do anyway when you play a DVD in them? I mean, honestly, kind of yeah, But also that's why they don't look great. The DVD just sort of softens the edges to make it look as good as possible. They they the ones that are not done well look really really bad and it's not exactly the same. It's it's a problem. But uh yeah, Like like Brian says, these were all edited on tape. The ocns are likely gone. It's hard to release this today because it's all gone. So all we have left. You know, there are laser discs that exist, there are DVDs that exist, and I mean, honestly, the laser discs probably would have been the best way to go for these if you were going to source a scan anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's just it's mess.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk more about low res tape masters versus film and stuff that was shot on film and edited on tape in just a minute about what is probably the biggest announcement of the week, So I'll share more of my rants.
Speaker 2: For that one. Let's keep going.
Speaker 3: Omni Loop is coming on Blu Ray next week literally for Magnolia Pictures. This is the one that slipped by me somehow, starring what I think is one of the best up and coming comedic actresses that we have, Aodebris Zoya Lowe, a quantum physicist, finds herself in a time loop with a black hole growing in her chest and only a week to live. But what the doctors and her family don't know is that she has already lived this week before many times. In fact, one day, she meets a gifted student named Paula, and together they team up to save her life and to unlock the mysteries of time travel. That being said, time loop movies, I feel like we've had way too many of those over the last decade. I kind of want to see this, but also I've already seen time movies everywhere.
Speaker 5: So yeah, the last time I watched an interesting time loop movie was when Severn put out Lola, and I remember that being pretty Oh that's not even a time loop, that just involves playing with time. But I feel like that was the first time in a long time I watched something in that style that I was like, this is good. Yeah, this is a good way to do it original. So this I'm not the most interested, but you know, that's okay, understandable.
Speaker 3: Magnolia also releasing Joan Baiez I Am a Noise on February fourth that says, at the end of a sixty year career, legendary musician and activist Joan Baiez reflects on her life both on and off stage, from her lifelong emotional struggles to her civil rights work with MLK and a heartbreaking romance with a.
Speaker 2: Young Bob Dylan.
Speaker 3: This film is a compelling and personal exploration of an icon who has never told the full truth of.
Speaker 2: Her life until now. Yeah, I'm Dylan extra hot right now.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, this would be the time to put something like this out. I mean, are people still talking about complete unknown?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to make sure because I haven't heard anything.
Speaker 2: Next week.
Speaker 3: Level thirty three Entertainment is also releasing All You Need Is Blood from twenty twenty four. This is coming as a BDR disc. Unfortunately, this is starring Logan Riley Brunner, but the bigger names that you might recognize are Eddie Griffin and Mina Suvari. This will also have a director's commentary, behind the scenes, footage, special effects.
Speaker 2: And film gallery. Supposedly, this movie is pretty damn good.
Speaker 4: The concept gives me.
Speaker 5: Like that feeling that it's pretty good, Like I'm actually kind of interested in this. I mean, it sucks it's a BDR, but to get it out there, I'm interested it.
Speaker 3: Probably would not have got to release otherwise. This is super exciting. I think February eleventh, we are getting a four K from Warner brother for The Nice Guys from twenty sixteen, one of the most underseen films from the last decade.
Speaker 2: I think I love this movie. Truly a great comedy.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a made on demand four K still pressed, but just so everybody knows that that does happen The Nice Guys.
Speaker 5: You could see this one, dude. I love this movie. This and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang are like my favorite Shane Black out there. This was so much better than I expected going into it, and I hope, I hope in ten years we're talking about The fall Guy like we like how we do Nice Guys. I can kind of see that because I also love that movie as well.
Speaker 3: Goldon says, well, my that cover has Gospily dressing to the left cheese.
Speaker 4: Now I'm looking.
Speaker 2: Oh that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I love that that's right below private. Anyways, let's go to the next four K announcement, which is Judas in The Black Messiah with Daniel Cluja and Lakeith Stanfield. Somehow, this is one I did not see this came out in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: I need to watch this.
Speaker 3: I love pretty much everything both of those guys have acted in.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this looks good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I would say, Sam, I didn't see this when it came out, but uh I will check it out.
Speaker 3: Absolutely Yeah, same day, Same Mad four K February eleventh from Warner Brothers. Next up, eight The Night is coming on Blu Ray on March eleventh from Altered Innocence. This thing sounds wild, so this says Pablo, a small time drug dealer, and his teenage sister Appline, have forged an unbreakable bond through their shared obsession with the online video game Dark Noon. When Pablo falls from the mysterious Night, he gets swept up in their liaison, abandoning his sister to deal with the impending shutdown of their digital haven alone. As Pablo's reckless choices provoked the wrath of a dangerous rival gang, the end of their virtual life draws near, upending their reality. This is from same people that did Jessica Forever and we're gonna have an interview with the filmmakers and some short films on this, plus a trailer. It is in French, but This sounds pretty damn interesting.
Speaker 5: The fact that it says it's a bittersweet apocalyptic love story with a modern m m O RPG twist. Yep, this, I mean the cover alone. When this popped up on my feed, the cover alone kind of got me yeah and reading.
Speaker 4: But yeah, this looks this looks really really cool.
Speaker 3: Alternate Innocence quietly does a lot of really great work.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there a label that I get into more as time goes on.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, it is time, so let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Vinegar Syndrome announced as their last title for their subscriber week, coming on their Degausser line, iced from nineteen eighty nine. Now, this is a slasher film that people have been begging for for years, and now to say up front, I bought this. So what I'm about to say, you understand, I'm saying this to somebody who did purchase this primarily just because I want a copy of this on Blu ray. So iist is getting released and they say this is coming as let's see is it listed here newly transferred and restored from the best surviving tape master Now, just like we were just talking about on a bikini car wash Iist was shot on film and edited on tape, and if you had the film elements, you could theoretically edit this again the exact same way that the film was edited and make it look freaking amazing. If you go over and look at the screenshots that Vinegar Syndrome posted for Iceed, it looks god awful. It looks to me, to be quite honest, it looks like YouTube quality. There are tons of digital hits on the screenshots that they posted that I'm actually feeling like it is just simply a YouTube version that was uploaded.
Speaker 2: It is crazy to have this release.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying Vinegar Syndrome downloaded this from YouTube and they're putting it on Blu Ray or whatever or anything like that. But it looks really bad in the screenshots. Now, I had a bunch of people say, watch the trailer. It looks a lot better. No, it doesn't. The trailer does not make it look that much much better. It still looks really really low quality. Now to get to the actual quote controversy that has come up this week. In the acquisition phase, for many of these companies that are putting out these films, there is competition up until it signs with one company. Now I'm gonna highlight a comment here. Who's gonna explain this? So it's not my words, I'm reading what John Matthews said. Thanks John. By the way, John says that Ryan gravefaced from Terror Vision on the blu ray dot com forum, said that the film elements on Ice do exist. They were trying to license it, but Vinegar Syndrome got it instead. Vinegar Syndrome went down the He says lazy tape master routes recreating and re editing the film elements scenes wasn't worth their time. Now, from what I know, and I've been told behind the scenes on this, Vinegar Syndrome just didn't track down the elements. And not that they didn't try. They did try. They just didn't find them. But the elements were found. Now that doesn't mean that the elements were usable. I just know that the film exists, and we could have at least tried to do it the right way where you scan the film in and re edit it again. It could have been attempted and look way better than what this is going to be on Blu Ray. That being said, this will sell out. This is like one of the most coveted films of you trashy movie fans.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 3: People have wanted this on Blu ray since the dawn of time, and it's here. It's just not HD quality. It looks truly, truly terrible. Am I happy about that?
Speaker 2: Of course not.
Speaker 3: The other sad part is, now the elements have been found, you would hope that you could take the elements and a UK company could release it.
Speaker 2: Now it's not that simple.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Vinegar Syndrome owns the film outright worldwide now, so no one else can release this without Vinegar Syndrome's permission. They have to license it from Vinegar Syndrome. Why would Vinegar Syndrome license it to them and basically admit that their.
Speaker 2: Release is inferior.
Speaker 3: So this is probably the best that we're going to get for this film forever, which really sucks.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're gonna if you're gonna take a short cut and do it this way, owning the material one hundred percent is gonna be the best way, like reason to do it.
Speaker 3: And again I'm not saying they took a short cut. I'm just saying they they probably did not discover the elements because another label was working on it and they found the elements and wanted to license it, but Vinegar Syndrome had just beat them to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't when you said that, I went on Vinegar So I didn't look into this when it came out, and I haven't bought it yet. I'm actually I'm gonna buy it. You're right, man. These these screenshots that I'm flipping through right now are like this is this is how I expect to watch it on YouTube, Like this is this looks like yeah, what I would have found.
Speaker 3: You know, I've seen a lot of VHS screenshots that look a hell of a lot better than what we were getting on forrist.
Speaker 5: I guess do you think, let's say the quality is exactly what the trailer and these screenshats are giving off. Do you think it's going to ruin somebody's first time watching this movie? Is it doesn't add it a charm at all? Because I can imagine a four K would look fantastic just based on.
Speaker 3: I'm not even saying four K, I'm even just saying a proper D released. Yeah, so I don't think it'll ruin anything. Well, let me say it a better way. I think there are some people that are more sensitive to quality, and they were probably gonna hate this if it comes out like that. For sure, if it came out in full HD, it probably would have been slightly better for those people. But in all reality, at least now you will have access to this film. Most people have been trying to see this film years. I'm glad that somebody's releasing it. I'm glad that it will be out there. I do just wish it was higher quality. And the other label that says that they found the elements again, they they didn't. It's not like they scan the elements to see if they could redo it because you have to sign the film first, but before they signed the film, they wanted to make sure that they had elements, and so because of the timeline of everything, it just got screwed over.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I I feel like if I bought a mod of this, like let's say I just bought a mod version of this movie on Blu Ray and it looked this quality, I would be I would be very very very happy to have it, and I'm happy that it's out. I just am kind of reserving a lot of it until I get it and watch it, you know, what I mean, because I'm gonna I'm gonna add it on to an order that I placed. But uh yeah, I'm happy it's out. That's an interesting that's an interesting interesting thing. We're we're kind of to this point where.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 5: There's so many movies that people want, and you're at the mercy of whoever's putting it out and hoping that they're going to do a good job on it.
Speaker 4: And we don't know your story.
Speaker 5: This could be like the best it could have gone, like because of his album, because of whatever.
Speaker 3: This could be exactly like you're saying, the elements that were found might be completely trashed and this is literally the best it will ever get. I'm not saying it is one hundred percent true that it could have been better. We don't know that yet. However, it wasn't even tried. That's the part that sucks here. And the other big thing too. I mean, me, looking at those screenshots, I don't want to pay a lot of money for that. But this thing costs thirty dollars if you're not a subscriber. Yeah, thirty dollars on release day for a title that people have been after for a long time. So they're gonna buy it if those screenshots are true to the quality.
Speaker 2: This is pretty bad for thirty bucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely think this might be a like next year ten dollars sale. I don't mean what I mean without the slip and stuff.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I I'm I think I'm gonna pick it up just because I'm so interested in in what this movie is and looking. I mean, the screenshots outside of the quality sold me on the movie, right, you know what I mean. They sold me on a movie. But that quality's quality is pretty uh, pretty rough. So we'll see, we'll see what I end up, you know, deciding to do with that.
Speaker 3: Matthews saying, maybe the Elements owner is not the same as the intellectual owner of the film, and the Element's owner was too difficult to work with. Maybe the same as what is going on with just before done. That's it's just not I mean, the first part is true. The Element's owner is not the same as the intellectual owner. Well, let me take that back. Technically, in the film world, if you have the right to distribute the film, you are the rightful owner to the film Elements at that moment, you are able to access it if you're allowed to. I'm actually dealing with that on another project right this moment. But the elements owner would have been willing to work with it if Vinegar Syndrome had tracked them down. Vinegar Syndrome just they didn't find them, and the other label didn't know that Vineger Syndrome had already signed and was working on this. The other label was working towards the release as well.
Speaker 5: So this is really hard too, because I mean, Vinegar Syndrome is known for putting a ton of effort into what most people will consider trash.
Speaker 3: Right, and worked their ass off on this. I'm sure they did. I'm sure that worked really hard to find the elements. It's just that the other label did and Vinegar Syndrome didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I mean, we're to that point where there's so many labels out that this is bound to to happen a lot, and sometimes I feel like most time we don't know about it. But you know, this is a company who has put a lot of time into a lot lesser desired movies, So it is kind of hard to take, you know what was said and think like they just took the easy way out, because I mean, I owned some I owned some trash from Vinegar Syndrome that looks way better than it should and a lot of effort was put in.
Speaker 4: So it's just an interesting it's an interesting thing.
Speaker 3: Again, not saying Vinegar Syndrome didn't try this is likely the best that Vinegar Syndrome at the time with what they had could do. It really just sucks for fans of the film, especially hearing on announcement day that elements existed somewhere else and maybe we could have had a better release.
Speaker 5: Well also too, how many people bought this before reading because you know, this stuff's limited. You go on to site, you click by, you're done because just because of the title. And then you go on and you start reading the description and you're like, oh wait, hold.
Speaker 3: On, well and right now they've already sold more than three thousand copies of this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, that's that's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 5: I guess we'll see what time, what time tells with this one, you.
Speaker 3: Know, uh yeah, that's gonna be gonna be interesting. The extras on this, we got a commentary with Jeff Quitney and a special features producer you and can't Ewan's been on the channel before. He's a good guy. I'm sure that commentary is gonna be good. We had a commentary with the Hysteria continues and Amanda Reaes. I'm sure the Amandarea's part is gonna be good. On that commentary. We had an intro to the film by Jeff Quitney. We get an interview with Jeff Quitney as well, interview with one of the actors, uh, interview with the second assistant director, image gallery, all that same stuff that we get a lots of these releases.
Speaker 2: We got a bunch of extras. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only portion that is a problem really is the picture quality. Sadly cool cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like the cover, like the back on this.
Speaker 3: I don't know who was paying attention to the blu ray dot com forums on the day this was announced. Somehow, if you searched up iced about an hour and a half before this went live on Vinegar Syndrome, it showed that it was a Degausser release and had the art attached to the release. Before it was even live, somebody had already loaded it into the database. Not sure how that leaked and not sure how it got loaded into the database, but man, they were ready to go.
Speaker 2: Wo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's cool looking.
Speaker 5: I like it. Yeah, back, that comment was great.
Speaker 3: A bunch of Keno announcements coming. We got March eighteenth. They're doing a blu ray of The Black Tulip. This is a French film from nineteen sixty four. We got a new audio commentary by Simon Abrams and yeah, Elaine Delan is in this one, and that's enough of a reason for many people to.
Speaker 2: Pick this up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about Radiance for this month. April twenty eighth in the UK, April twenty ninth in North America, we are getting a blu ray of a Tale of Sorrow and Sadness from nineteen seventy seven. This is by Sejun Suzuki, director that many many, many people they love, they worship, love the cover art on this one. As usual, Radiance kills it with the art. This says the editor of a sports magazine, Groom's fashion model Raco to become a pro golfer while retaining exclusive rights to her likeness. Rayco's popularity soars after she wins her first tournament and she becomes a media sensation. But when she and her manager cause a hit and run accident. The victim begins to blackmail Raco, intruding further and further into her personal life. This was Seijune Suzuki's comeback film after being blacklisted by the film industry for ten years. Though adapted from a popular manga, the bold visuals and absurd plot twist Our Vintage Suzuki. We got an audio commentary by Sam Degan on this one new interview with the editor Kunihiko Ukai. We got a trailer, and then a reversible artwork as usual, and then a booklet with new writing by Jasper Sharp in an archival review of the film, And this sounds fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this sounds really.
Speaker 5: Radiance is another label that as time goes on, I've really just loved diving into their stuff blind, Like I said, and this, I'm sold. I'll buy this and check it out for sure.
Speaker 3: We had a question side of the Manimal says, are these Radiance releases all included in the sub? This is difficult to answer because they had the everything sub where you can get every Radiance title, or they have just the US sub where you get just the titles that are Region A for sure. So if you have either of those two subs, yes you will get this one. But remember there's a rare road title that is a part of this group as well, and that is not any of the subscriptions, So if you want that one, you got to add it in.
Speaker 4: I don't even know they had a sub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a very useful sub because you get a couple of gifts every year out of them. The first year we got a notebook that had Radiance branding on the front. They do their art house zines. Dirty art house is what they call it. They've gotten a toe bag, I think, and then one or two other small things.
Speaker 5: What about are the subs yearly?
Speaker 3: They do yearly, and I think you can do half year at the half yer point. But also when you choose it, if you want to save on the shipping, you can do like packages, so you can do like every three months. That way you pay shipping four times, or they might even be free at that point. I'm not sure about the price, but yeah, you can save and only get two a year or even one. I know a friend of mine gets it once a year and he gets the entire year in one giant box.
Speaker 4: Oh that sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Next one is A Girl with the Suitcase with Claudia Cardinal. This is a four K restoration from the original negative. We're going an interview with the assistant director and an interview with the screenwriter on this and interviewed with the film critic Bruno Torri, a visual essay about the film by Kat Ellinger. We got a trailer book, a new writing by Juliano Menguelli, and yeah, very classic looking radiance released. This one is from nineteen sixty one, coming in both the UK and North America, same dates as the last one we just listed. Then this next one, this is UK only. This is a Jacquesrevette film. This is vas Avoir from two thousand and one. This is a new two K, sorry, new four K restorations. You get the one hundred and fifty four minute theatrical cut and then Vasavoa plus the two hundred and twenty three minute director's original cut on two different discs. You've got selecxiin audio commentary by Pascal Bonitzer and Christine Laurent. We've got some archival interviews, interview with the critic Jonathan Romney, and then a booklet with writing by revet expert Mary M.
Speaker 2: Wiles.
Speaker 5: When we started talking about tonight's show, we were talking about possibly doing like a conversation about unrated and director's cuts and all that stuff. Yes, it's I know nothing about this movie, but for some reason, I'm always insanely interested in the director's cuts. And it's really cool to see that the restoration is on the two hundred and twenty three minute cut of this because sometimes I feel like those less desired cuts kind of get the back end, like they don't get treated as well. Because ninety nine percent of the time, regardless of the time frame that I have to watch something, I will always typically watch the director's preferred version. So that's what I want restored. And I'm interested in this, and it's only a UK only release, but I'm interested in grabbing this and that would be the cut that I'm watching, so I'm happy to see that that's also restored.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think this is one of like five remaining Jakravette films that have not been released on HD, So now after this one, I think we only got like somewhere between like three and five left. So yeah, that's a nice release for Radiance and then the final regular Radiance release. This is a Kelly Reichart film from nineteen ninety four coming out in the UK only River of Grass. This has been released in the US by Oscilloscope, and this one has the same two K restoration that Oscilloscope did. This one has an audio commentary by Kelly Riichart and Larry Festenen. We had an audio interview with the writer and curator, so my a from this year. Larry Festenen gets a visual essay by Anton Bttel and that is brand new. There are dry By outtakes, a restoration featurette and then a booklet with new writing by Caitlin Quinlin.
Speaker 2: And this is a very good movie. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 5: I haven't, but I can't help but look at these three announcements, and for some reason, I think of Criterion, both in the cover and in the the style, but also in the variety of movies announced. Yep, Like I haven't heard of any of this now, being the third all three, I'm interested in checking out. Well, this has Hilarry Fastened in it, so that's awesome, But all three plots are so radically different. But I'm like excited to watch all three of these and look at the visual essays and all that stuff. So it's just kind of like an instant appeal to me.
Speaker 4: You know, good.
Speaker 3: Stuff all I've always loved Kelly, which art pretty much everything that I've seen. Check it out if you're into it. And then finally, like I mentioned, there's a rare OH release. This is not in any subscription. This is a UK only release and it's a Blu Ray release of Killer Cop from nineteen seventy five. This has an HD dishit transfer with the original Italian and English audio options on Blu Ray for the first time in the UK. New commentary by Eugenie Ercolani and Troy Howarth, interview with Valeria Kobe or o'beachi I'm.
Speaker 2: A betting that's how it's pronounced.
Speaker 3: And then interview with production manager Alessandro Koloshi, and then limited edition booklet, new writing by Barry Forshaw.
Speaker 2: On this one, RaRo does some pretty great stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this sounds crazy, but what's most interesting to me is uh, Luciano Orcoley. I just watched this past twenty twenty four The Forbidden Photos of a Lady above Suspicion nice and absolutely loved it, so that's an instant appeal to this one.
Speaker 3: Nice, nice, nice, Yeah, he's a good director. Ho which is the name of it is the name of this new one from Keno lover coming on March eighteenth. This has a new audio commentary by the Man, the Myth, the Legend, Howard is Berger, Steve Mitchell, Inthaniel Thompson. This is another French film and we will be getting a few of those on March eighteenth. This one is starring Jean Pell Jean Paul Belmondo and then Elaine delun Is like a very quick cameo in this one as well.
Speaker 5: That looks cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then VCI is releasing The Naked Witch, also known as The witch Maker from nineteen sixty nine. This is a movie that's been released on Blu Ray from Code Red and a couple others in the past.
Speaker 2: I believe this is nothing new, just.
Speaker 3: The same film that we've got before. VCI doing nothing new on it as far as I can tell. They just licensed it to get it back in print, which is totally fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The Naked Witch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I have seen this one. I believe I have the code read release. It's a good movie.
Speaker 3: I think I have it up there, or I did at some point got rid of it after I watched it.
Speaker 2: Another one we talked about Boon Weell earlier.
Speaker 3: We are getting a Diary of a chamber maid from nineteen sixty four. This is coming on March twenty fifth from Keino, And this is gonna have a new audio commentary by Imogen Sarah Smith, who is one of the best in the game, does a lot of stuff for Criterion, also works with our friends over at Sinna's Journeys. Not sure if Aaron is still here, if he went to sleep, but he was here in the chat earlier.
Speaker 2: I just saw Ronnie's chat. One of the best kinds of witches is a naked witch.
Speaker 3: I agree, I completely agree. This is one that I know a lot of people are going to be purchasing. Definitely one that I need to pre order because I've not seen this one. Happily able to admit that this is supposedly one of the best movies of all time.
Speaker 2: Been on my watch list for a long time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is I've heard of it in books and just kind of reading.
Speaker 4: Never never saw.
Speaker 5: I think this might be a title that I'll pick up during one of the keynote like seasonal sales.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: But yeah, very that's cool. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Last movie standing here to say hello to you?
Speaker 5: Hey, what's up buddy?
Speaker 2: All right? That is Boon Weell. Next one, shout Man. Shout had a.
Speaker 3: Weird day today. They were announcing titles like once every ninety minutes. So we're gonna have some Shout titles and then intersperse some other titles in between to end this show for today. Ghost Cat on Zoo from twenty twenty four is getting a G Kids released with Shout coming on March fifth, sorry fourth on Blu Ray. This will have the extras are audio and teezers and trailers, but that's it. It's hilarious to me that they put audio under extras.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this is a kid's line.
Speaker 2: G Kids is like their anime line that they work with.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, all right. I'm just curious because I was wondering, like, would this be something that you would put yourself in the shoes of a consumer, Would this be something that you would be interested in for your kids or.
Speaker 2: For me personally?
Speaker 3: No, But they've only watched I think they've only seen one Miyazaki film. So far, I need to break more out for them, But other than that, I think they just don't have the I don't know the acquaintance with this animation style, so I don't think it would grip them immediately.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was just curious from somebody who doesn't have kids.
Speaker 3: But some of the G Kids animated, well, I think most of them are animated, But the G Kids' anime films, some of them are very much not kids films either, So okay, they do definitely go there as well.
Speaker 5: Interesting okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Next, Sony Pictures announced blu rays for two of their Sony Pictures Classic titles. Both of these are coming on Fabruary twenty fifth. This first one is character from nineteen ninety seven one that I had no idea what this was, but this got a ton of comments. A lot of people have wanted this for quite some time. It sounds like it's based on a nineteen thirty eight Dutch novel and based on that. A lot of people saw this and then went and read a lot of the books from the author. Yeah, this is from nineteen ninety seven. I'm not sure if I said that this one the best Foreig Language Film at the Oscars in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: Eight, and it's pretty impressive. A Academy Award winning feature debut.
Speaker 2: Sure is.
Speaker 3: Next one as Respiro is coming on the same day. This is from two thousand and two. This is another award winning film, got lots of attention back when it came out that I've not seen that. Sony Pictures Classics. They know some great titles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know anything about either of these, but I am.
Speaker 3: Interested absolutely all right. Next up is Dazzler Media over in the UK. They are doing a four K of The Last Voyage of the Demeter. This is the twenty twenty three film that just came out and they're doing a four K and blu ray. I think all of the extras are from the Shout four K. You've got the audio commentary, some bleeded scenes, Dracula reimagined, and then Evil is a board to making of. But yeah, I mean even the cover art for the four K is essentially identical to the Shout four K, including the Collector's edition branding at the top. They just composed the Dazzler Media logo and the certificate on the front of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I was my face kind of changed. I was like, wait, that's exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Yep. Honestly, they probably didn't change it at all. Shout Factory.
Speaker 3: Their next title is Forbidden World from nineteen eighty two, is making the leap up to four K. This is the of course, Roger Corman produced Forbidden World. This is going to have the theatrical version and director's cut both on four K. There are no new extras, but both cuts. Making the jump to four K is interesting rather than just the theatrical like they normally do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, another Corman title in four K.
Speaker 5: They I love screen Factory because I feel like they actually listen a little bit, and they have been making some little improvements over time of little things. So I appreciate having both on one, you know, on four K here.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely having both on one. Four K is how it should always be, especially if you're able to properly utilize four K and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely need to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's how it should be. It's not always how it's done.
Speaker 2: The next title, March twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: We are getting a three D blu ray from Keno and the three D film Archive of the Glass Web by Jack Arnold. This is from nineteen five three gorgeously remastered for the first time in three D. This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Jason A. Nye with three D experts Mike Bleu and Greg Kenttz. You will also have the two D Blu Ray. You've got three D and anaglyphic the the red and blue three D versions with one pair of three D glasses included. So no matter what you got, if you got a three D TV and all that stuff, you can watch it the proper way with the good three D glasses, or you can watch it red and blue glasses or just flat two D. Yeah, Forbidden World is dope' his last movie standing very much prefer the theatrical cut. The Blu ray had the director's cut looked like VHS quality. Well now it's been restored. Hopefully you can check that out again. Yes, you do get glasses similar. Next up, this is pretty big announcement Shout putting out Tommy on four K on their Shout Select line on March eighteenth. This is being lauded as the fiftieth anniversary edition, and they went out so far to get this wonderful new release out that they have zero extras, no commentary, nothing, and it's a fiftieth anniversary edition. Sure, it's it's great that you're getting this in four K. Not gonna put that down, But what the hell I mean. I don't know if, like the WHO is against this being released with any extras or something, but holy hell, it sucks that this has nothing Like there's is.
Speaker 5: There no archival anything for this movie that they could.
Speaker 2: Have owned there? There isn't the UK, but none of those have ever been poured it over to the US releases.
Speaker 5: Interesting, okay, I mean quol to have it for those who won it, but it's that's the definition of bear Bones.
Speaker 3: Yeah once again, extra futures audio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at least you get audio.
Speaker 4: As a bonus.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Again, this is what I want. And it's probably not shouts fault. I'm gonna try to give them that benefit of the doubt. It's probably a right thing with the WHO, but come on, it's freakin Tommy. I mean, if they don't want you to have the extras on this disc, and I think this is totally legal, hire a bunch of you know, historians, people that love this music, experts, whatever, and just put out your own separate release of Tommy extras. Sell it for ten dollars and when you when you put this out, put it in a three disc case so that they can buy that extra set and buy it in here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how does it work with like they can't they can't hire their own somebody do video essays or does that also become rights issues.
Speaker 2: Or some studios and some entities can choose that?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, okay, that's it's just crazy to hear nothing except the audio.
Speaker 2: It's wild. I do not understand it.
Speaker 3: I wish they would be able to say, hey, we weren't allowed to put anything on this because.
Speaker 2: Again it's the fiftieth anniversary edition.
Speaker 5: I mean a bonus feature of just somebody from show Factory saying hey, we weren't allowed to do anything. I feel like I would have liked to have more than just nothing.
Speaker 3: Next up, Keno putting out Hijack Highway from nineteen fifty five. This is another French film coming on March twenty fifth. New audio commentary by Simon Abrams on this one. And yeah, I know nothing about this, I know literally nothing. That's great art though it is very good art, yes, very good. Slipcase on this one. Next one up is two Way Stretch from nineteen sixty getting a release on March eleventh from Keno starring Peter Seller's new audio commentary by authors and comedy historians Jim Ross and Robert Ross. I love me some British humor, so I may check this one.
Speaker 5: Out of David Lodge as the meat headed muscleman.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Next up is a big title for a lot of people. Screen Factory putting out Night of the Creeps on four K on March twenty fifth. This is the standard release, comes with the slipcover. During that first pressing, you got a new commentary on this by Suzanne Snyder and then Jackson Stewart and fran Gloopi fransmen on the channel before check that out. This is interesting because the four K disc is just the director's cut. The Blu Ray disc is just the director's cut, and then they add the theatrical ending as an extra on the Blu Ray disc of extras. They also have a new career retrospective with Fred Decker on the Blue ray special features. Everything else has been poured over from the old Blu Ray release. But yeah, only one cut of the film being released here and it's the director's cut.
Speaker 5: I don't know offhand what the difference was between the theatrical and the director I mean, obviously just okay, So in that case, I don't see it a big deal. I love the new bonus features for this. I love Ny of the Creeps, So this is a guaranteed upgrade for me. But it makes it easier to spend the money, especially when you have a new commentary and then a Fred Decker career retrospective interview. I think that that adds significant value to this. So I'll be picking it up for sure, and I love I know we're probably gonna show it, but I love the new slipcover.
Speaker 2: Definitely going to show it.
Speaker 3: Let's get to it, because they also announced some bundles this one. You get these two posters and the altar slip cover here. Yeah, you're right, that slip is great. But of course the big deal here is the tom Atkins Neka that they released. That is a new Neka, and if you were lucky enough to be super fast, you could have got the old Neka that they released as well. They had sixty of these available today in a bundle where you could get both of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's cool that two for two on cool Shit with Night of the Creeps from Scream Factory.
Speaker 3: The cooler thing, too, is if you have that original Necka figure and you you're like, you know, I don't need to go to the four K. You can just buy the new Necka figure by itself. Honestly cool deal from Shout. They don't always do that, but that's that's pretty rad. Yeah, I love it's rare.
Speaker 5: I really love their alternate slips, but in this case, that coloring just overall, I love that alternate work.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Agreed, all right? Then Shaw Brothers Classics Volume six got announced again. Eleven films on eleven discs, and this is a lot, so let's go through it real quick. Swords Women three, the Twelve Gold Medallions, The Black Enforcer, Duel for Gold Finger of Doom, Nacha and the Seven Devils, Shadow Girl, Swordsmen at Large, The Black Tavern, The Young Avenger, and Crazy Nuts of Kung Fu. Now I've not seen any of these yets. I hear the Black taverns amazing. Pretty Much everybody that has seen some of these say the Black Tavern is incredible. Now all of these have new extras. I believe all of them have at least one new commentary. Many of them have two or more new commentaries. They are not kidding around. These releases have interviews, they have featurettes, They've got multiple commentaries. This is a set that adds to their collection in a very meaningful way, supposedly great films. I'm so glad that they're continuing to put these out. It's expensive, totally get that, but this is wild. So many Shaw Brothers titles in the last couple of years that have gotten releases. It is so hard to stay up to date. But geez, good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I blinked and we're on volume six.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: To me, it's like the is it keynot does the film Noir? Where there's like twenty.
Speaker 2: Eight, We're almost up to thirty. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, how the hell did we get there?
Speaker 2: And this?
Speaker 5: I remember volume one and I was like, oh, this is cool, and then now six already are these because I don't know are they individual cases or is it they are?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, somehow I've got it within reach. Okay, so I guess they're not individual cases unnecessarily, but they're all individual discs. So some of them have one case for two films.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, because I just got their Golden Harvest Supernatural Terrors, and that's the way it is. I was curious if it was the same way.
Speaker 3: I don't have the Golden Harvest ones. I need to get those for sure, But I mean again, there are so many. Yeah, and they've they've got the Golden Harvest ones, They've got the Shaw Brothers ones, and then they've also got the Tai Lung David Chang collection. They've got the Brave Archer collection. They've got the two Jackie Chan collections. There's at least one.
Speaker 2: More that they did.
Speaker 3: Oh uh, Sunny Chiba they did his collection too. Oh yes, yeah, they did much so much. I mean, I love it. I'm all for it, but god, dang, I need.
Speaker 5: I'm still I'm still trying to make my way through Volume one Game of Clones.
Speaker 2: At least that's the twenty twenty four release. Yeah, yes, yes, yes, uh finally.
Speaker 3: This week, sticking with Asia, media Blasters is releasing a Blu Ray in the US of samurai fiction from nineteen nine eight one that a lot of people lost faith would ever come to Blu Ray. You can get this from Media Blasters. It is not up on their website yet, but they're usually pretty quick. I'm assuming that you should be able to see this up there soon. It'll be on Amazon. Diabolic should have it. I know that a lot of people were after this one, so check this out. This says Heyshiro Nukai is a noble samurai who seeks vengeance against Reinosuke, the renegade villain who stole the Klans Prize treasure. To save the Klan's honor, Heyshiro, an untested swordsman, resolves to take down Reinosuke, who gets killed hundreds of men and into entire armies. As he prepares for the final showdown, Heyshiro is faced with a choice between reaching a peaceful or a bloody resolution. This is shot in black and white, and it's a fan favorite that, like I said, a lot of people have wanted so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's cool, that's what I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: Nice, we did it. Those are the announcements. Let's cover what is coming next week before we get to our discussion.
Speaker 2: Right quick, here we go.
Speaker 3: Like we said in Glorious Bastards, four K from Arrow coming out next week. This is supposedly starting to sell out everywhere.
Speaker 2: I just checked.
Speaker 3: An Atomic Movie Store still has it for forty one ninety nine, so if you can't find it elsewhere, you may want to grab it from there if you were after it. The snow Piercer four K steal book finally drops. Chinatown and Once Upon a Time in the West get their standard four K releases from Paramount. Jojo Dancer from Criterion On four K is releasing. We Got The Mother and the Horror four K from Criterion. Shaw Brothers Classics Volume five is just coming out. Incubus four K from Arrow Terror Vision should be getting in there, Rumpelstilskin four K and getting those out. It probably will not be in your hands by next Tuesday, but hopefully by the end of next week if you're a clubber, and probably early the following week if you are not. Godzilla Minus one gets one of its fourteen releases coming out next Tuesday. Sometimes I think about Dying goes Wide from Mycilloscope. Then the Milk Creek Icon's Unearthed Marvel edition comes out next Tuesday. Cohen Media's My Name Is Alfred Hitchcock finally coming out. Feel like we talked about that one ages ago, the Spiral Road and that funny feeling from Keno also dropping Next Tuesday Romance and cigarettes coming as well. Any of those that you are after, sir, or pre ordered or super excited for. So nothing pre ordered thinking about grabbing my name is out for Hitchcock. But yeah, this is I want glorious Bastards.
Speaker 5: I just don't know. I haven't convinced myself of it quite yet.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: So that's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: It's the same scan. It's difficult.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I've heard, I've heard it's seams skin.
Speaker 4: I've heard it's a different encoding. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I haven't I that one. I'm gonna be like, it'll be a last minute thing if I decide to. It'll be like when a tomic movie stars one left and I'm like, okay, finally.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm eager to get in Rumbelstiltskin for sure. I've not even been able to see the new restoration yet. I really need to. I think that's the biggest one for me. I'm kind of curious eventually to check out Incubis love the whole Like this movie was not able to be seen for years and we got it now on four K. Like it just adds to the lower of these crazy titles that we've been getting for last year and a half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'm actually kind of happy there's a week where I'm not going to spend much money.
Speaker 4: On that they you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 3: All right, we are on to our discussion for the night, which is commentaries that we wish that we could do, and these are only horror films before we do that, Why do you love commentaries? Why do you want to start a podcast about commentaries?
Speaker 5: You know? I feel like I didn't start getting into them until later, I actually, believe it or not. The movie that kind of started for me was the commentary for Halloween four with Dwight h a little. That was the commentary that I remember watching Halloween four and I was like, yeah, obviously I like that movie a lot, but the commentary kind of brought up some things and.
Speaker 4: Showed me some things in.
Speaker 5: A new light, and I was like, man, these are actually, like incredibly interesting. So I started diving into them a little bit more, and then of course eventually getting to the point where I was watching Yours with Will on a Spider Labyrinth, and it really got to a point where it was almost like I don't know how to put it. I felt like I felt like I was getting viewpoints that no other form of bonus future unless I could sit down with the people like were able to give me like that was the best insight. And there are bad commentaries, and there are good commentaries, for sure, But the desire to move it into a podcast is because I feel like people who don't watch or listen to audio comedies are missing out on a lot of important information. And there are times where commentaries have made movies better for me or helped me kind of see them in a new light.
Speaker 4: And there are some commentaries you listen to.
Speaker 5: Man, we're just like you can feel the love and the passion, and once you kind of hear some of those stories, it's it's shocking that half of what we have ever came to light even exist, you know, and it's so interesting. So that's what drove me. That's what drove me into them. And the cool thing now is doing all the research for the podcast. Every movie that we've been researching for the for the first six months, I have a new found respect for both the movie and the people involved. We've been lucky that the six movies we picked, we picked without kind of like pre screening the commentary to figure out if it was good. We just happened to pick a bunch that were good, and I was like, once we kind of got to like the third or fourth movie, I was like, oh shit, like we're onto something like like we're actually learning and that's that's really it, man. There is no better way for me to kind of explain it, you know.
Speaker 3: So what are two or three like other than the ones you just mentioned favorite commentaries that you've listened to that you would say everybody who loves horror and love special features should try to listen to these commentaries.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna be broad with the first.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say anything with Rob Zombie on any of his movies. I still think he his movies have some of the best behind the scenes bonus features. Anyway, he goes incredibly in depth. But that's a guy who I He's kind of like Kevin Smith to me.
Speaker 4: I love hearing him just talk about movies.
Speaker 5: And we are covering House of a Thousand Corpses this year, and it's such a great commentary track, and we are gonna be kind of talking about the retrospective commentary track that he did for the anniversary release that was only on streaming, So we are going to be talking about that, So I would say anything Rob Zombie. I'm trying to peek back to kind of like remember well Halloween, that one with John Carpenter and Jamie the Curtis, I think is an essential commentary track for anybody to listen to. Yeah, you put me on the spot. Man, you didn't ask me this question beforehand.
Speaker 2: It's what I do.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna probably say, I don't know offhand. It's late.
Speaker 3: Well, then let's get into our discussion because I can't wait to hear some of your responses for these. So we were going to name five films that we would love to do a commentary for that are horror movies.
Speaker 2: What is the first one that you want to bring up?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: So I had to look at this in an interesting way because commentaries, to me, if I've never done one, if I was challenged to do one, it's challenging me to analyze deeper than ever before. So most of the titles that I have here, actually four of the five do not have commentaries.
Speaker 4: One does. But first one I'm.
Speaker 5: Going to pull up is actually a release from this past year and it is a wounded fawn. So yeah, and I'm incredibly shocked that this did not come with a commentary. It was something that I was kind of when the bonus features got or when it got announced, I was a little disappointed. I was like, oh man, I'm happy to have this, but the bonus features didn't really hit where I wanted to. This movie, to me is incredibly interesting as a fan of not just the yellow genre but anything from the seventies. But it's also a movie that jumps genre so often that I feel like deep diving into this would be such a great exploration. And also too, you can interpret this movie many different ways. You can take it literally, you can get into all the metaphorical you know, so there's there's a ton of different ways to an analytically hop into this as well as just fanboy about some of the incredible visuals. Like there's a moment where the character comes out of a out comes out of the bathroom and she's walking down a hallway and there's this stark red wall behind her. And this movie was shot on film, so you have all the beautiful film grain, the beautiful coloring, the beautiful lighting, I feel like you could just geek out about the whole entire time. So to me, I would just want to talk about that stuff, and you know what I mean, dive into it like that and it's disappointing me if there isn't one for it. I'm just happy to own it at this point, you know, right right, totally get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great movie. A lot definitely a lot to analyze for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: So the first one I want to talk about is a half cheat. I kind of have to do this sometimes because there are certain things and I'm like, well, yeah, that has to be an answer, but also it's kind of a silly answer. But my first one here is Barbarian. And the first reason is because then we have a release of Barbarian. That's the main reason why I would love to do it, because I could hold it in my hand and have it be a true legit release. But in all reality, like a commentary on Barbarian has so many things that I would love to talk about. I mean, the history of why doest kids? You know, in getting to get Barbarian made for Zach would be amazing, justin long and how he is one of like two modern screen kings that we have with him and Kyle Gallener. I truly would love to just speak on his history attached to this genre because he has done so many incredible things. But then, you know, the stars that are in this movie and the story that we got really feel like Barbarian would make an incredible commentary. There's so much that you can pull out of this, you know, talking about the history of Detroit and the political aspects that led to the city being broken down and what we see in the first part of this movie. Yeah, there's so much out of Barbarian that could really really make for some good analysis.
Speaker 5: Oh dude, you can talk about because the movie did a great job with marketing Bill Scarsguard. We you know, I remember thinking he was clearly a villain in that marketing. You could talk about how that movie does so well with balancing the humor, like especially when Justin Long begins exploring downstairs and kind of going around and measuring out the property and all that other It does a really good job with humor. It also that movie also commentates a lot on how shitty human beings can be in Justin Long's character, and it does it very subtle, which I really appreciate, really really really appreciate, because there were there were times when I I picked up on things and my wife didn't, and I was like, yeah, this is a they're doing a good job and not putting this in your face.
Speaker 4: But you know, if you know, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be fun.
Speaker 3: I mean even just the research alone, Like there's a lot of stuff that I would love to learn about that that could be associated with this would be a blast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a that's a good one, man.
Speaker 2: Good pick all right, your second one.
Speaker 5: So this one, this is the only one I have that has a commentary, And I feel like this is such an underseen movie. I'm going with Summer of Sam Spike, Lee, Chase.
Speaker 2: Love that movie, dude.
Speaker 5: This movie is incredibly fascinating because in the conversation of true crime, this never gets brought up. Yep, and it's it's it's crazy because this is a movie that, for being so focused on true crime and our Killer, is more a story of identity and a city and the people within it dealing with the shock wave of consequence that comes from having a serial killer in So it is a serial killer movie focused more on the like I said like like that shockwave of it. And to me, what's so interesting about this movie is that the titular, you know, the same the killer becomes the most the least interesting part of it. And that's just ingenius to or the attestament to Spike Lee's genius. Even if you want to look at like Adrian Brodie's character, you can analyze his character alone over and over again, John Loguzamo, and this movie shot and beautifully beautifully, so to dive into this, this is one in my pile here that would be I feel overwhelming in research and one that would be like, I feel like I would have a couple anxiety attacks storing, but it would be it would be worth the deep dive.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. I actually might take that deep dive just for the shit of it.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean. Nice, But yeah, that's my second pick.
Speaker 3: I adore this movie primarily not only because of this, but it definitely excels at being a truly sweaty movie for obvious reasons that have to deal with the plot. But for many movies, they don't go through the like the process of making people look so lived in and filthy in those moments. Yeah, the Cali Kid says the audio commentary track by Gretty Girl, We're going to Barbie's astonishing.
Speaker 2: Fortunately it's only available on the MAX streaming version, not on disc. Did not know that. Thanks for the donation, Cali Kid. That's that sucks. I wonder is it on the UK release that because sometimes they get more extras than we do.
Speaker 5: Man, I want to know who who is what streaming movies on Max interested in listening to a commentary track.
Speaker 6: I mean hopefully many people. Yeah, I think I hope. But that's interesting that it feels like such a physical media thing to do, Like somebody that physical media you know, So I don't. I don't think of it.
Speaker 5: Same with like when Rob's when they did House of a Thousand Corpses only on the digital version of the movie.
Speaker 3: That's like the Netflix a few years ago made a big deal Knives Out. They gave a commentary to or the second Knives Out, which I think it's the second one that they did, but they were like upcoming in two weeks. You can stream the audio commentary for this, and like, let's do that for every movie. Why why are we only doing it for that? Like I understand the streaming model to a point, and that we're gonna have streaming direct films, let's let's treat them properly. A lot of these people's thoughts need to be archived for all time. Come on, yeah, I absolutely agree. All right, my next one, you actually brought him up as a filmmaker. I would love and many people that know me, I've talked about this film far too many times. Red State by Kevin Smith is my favorite Kevin Smith film, and personally, I would love to sit here and set up a commentary where I just moderate with him. And obviously Kevin Smith is a talker. I probably would only get a couple questions in, but he is somebody that I would love to hear him looking back on this from a decade later and thinking what happened, what came from it, the fallout from it, the marketing behind it, why his style changed so much for a couple of films, primarily starting with this movie. But really, I mean, there's so much to cover that happened after this that he probably if it had happened before he made the movie, probably would have been referenced in some ways, like the shootings down in Texas and a lot of the other things that are just full blown national tragedies.
Speaker 2: That we know by name, like Columbine nowadays.
Speaker 3: Obviously many of those had happened before this came out, but there's been a couple more that I guarantee he would have loved to have had, you know, in the mind of people as they watch this movie, and it does seem that Westboro Baptist Church, now that their leader Fred Phelps has been dead for a few years, they don't seem as much of a nuisance. And I say that as somebody that lives like fifty two minutes from their headquarters, I believe so they used to be here all the time. We're talking, like a policeman would be killed and they would show up to picket the funeral. I would I would love to hear Kevin Smith talk about this movie in detail with me, just fangler fangirling with him, and yeah, I agree with Kevin. I can't remember a time when Kevin Smith has done a commentary since Clerk's to other than the four thirty movie they just came out.
Speaker 5: Did He's It's funny. I was telling my wife today that he was on the Criterion closet and the first comment because there's videos are five minutes or less. The first comment released to Kevin smith Cutt is no way this dude talk for five minutes. And Red sty is such a cool movie because it feels for as for as extremes that movie seems. I remember the first time I saw it, Ben thinking like, I don't know, I could see this happening like right now, like this could be a true story and I wouldn't I wouldn't question its reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none of it is like far fetched in any way at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, so my next choice is a little extreme. I do want to uh, I want I want to warn you because a lot of people don't know about this movie, and the people who do know about this movie have some crazy opinions on it. And the commentary that I would want to do would be with the director. But people are gonna be like, this guy's a nutcase. This is a movie that I've fallen in love with. It's the portraits of Andrea Palmer.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, I bet you, I bet you. You weren't expecting that.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, when you hear I was ready to hear the you know, one of the five ones that everybody goes to but yeah, honestly, this is not a bad pick.
Speaker 4: No, Okay, so this was a complete blind by for me.
Speaker 5: I'm not the biggest fan of what Grindhouse does, but I picked this up on a sale because I had heard some things. And I'm very because there's another pick in my pile. I'm very open to certain extremities, right and like, tell your story. And I'm not one of those people who's very I mean, I've showed off the lover you know, now, you know, so like, obviously I'm not sensitive this stuff. And I think Portraits of Andrea Palmer is a movie that is incredibly heavy handed.
Speaker 4: In his story.
Speaker 5: It's it's supposed to tell, and it's a movie that's not meant to be glorified as like Happy or any The movie is dreadful from beginning to end, and it is not shy away from what it wants to do. But it's a movie that also is visually incredibly interesting because of how it was shot. And to me, I'm more interested in getting in the mind of someone who can get to this level and tell this kind of a story. That's what I would want to do. I would just want to sit down with the director and let the movie play, and I believe it was I'm forgetting let's see forgetting her name and I can't see because I don't have enough light on in here. But yeah, would just love to love to pick up. I mean, honestly, at this point, I guess I would be happy just sitting down for an hour and fifteen minutes and talking to her. But when we were when I was sitting in front of the collection thinking about this question, that movie kept going to me and I was like, do I pick this? And yeah, because it's a horror movie. It's it's a harrowing, incredibly harrowing harmony. Have you ever seen it?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's it's not bad as far as extreme movies goes, but it's certainly for me at least, not one that I would rewatch. And it's not just because it's extreme. I've watched multiple extreme movies a couple of times, but it's just it's not top tier for me. But I totally get why somebody would truly love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's an audience for it, Like it has a really nice release and it was ever put into this, so there is an audience for it. And I've read some I've gotten into some forums and seen people who have talked about it, but it's one of those movies that I kind of feel like there's a part of me that heavily believes that film is meant to be challenging and there needs to be stories that are told in this in this way, like this unflinching, unnerving.
Speaker 4: Viewpoint to get their their point across.
Speaker 5: And this one just works so well that I would want to sit down and just you know, pick her brain on it.
Speaker 3: Ronnie pointed out, Ronnie does a lot to promote TV stuff, so thank you for this, Ronnie. Kevin Smith did a commentary for a Supergirl episode that he directed on the season two set, which is super cool.
Speaker 2: I've honestly not seen the.
Speaker 3: Supergirl show at all yet, but I've wanted to because of his involvement, So thank you. My third pick, this is gonna be an interesting one, and I have to ask if you've seen this before I do much.
Speaker 2: Have you seen one cut.
Speaker 5: Of the Dead when it first came out.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, so I'm going to do something that I've not done on the channel before here. If you have never seen one cut of the Dead, I want you to listen to me right now, and I'm going to tell you to mute your phone, your TV, your computer, whatever you're watching this on, and I'm gonna put up this background or disconnected spoilers, and then after I'm done talking about I will take this down and go back to the normal one, and then you can unmute it. Because this is a movie that you cannot have spoiled for you and enjoy. So one cut of the Dead, this is my choice, the last chance here. If you haven't muted yet, please mute if you've not seen it. One cut of the Dead, obviously is a fake out movie. Like you watch the first I don't even think it's a full half hour, It's like twenty five minutes or whatever, where they show you this zombie film and then they show you that they were making a movie and that it wasn't a zombie film, and then they fake you out and all that. I would love to sit here with the round table of filmmakers doing a commentary just gushing over the filmmaking power behind this movie because it took so much hard work to do this. I want to get some of the biggest names and just moderate them, going.
Speaker 2: How the fuck did they think to do this? This is incredible.
Speaker 3: I would so be stoked to just sit in a room of filmmakers giving respect to this tiny indie movie. That is amazing, That is like innovative. That is beyond incredible. And if you have again not seen it, you were missing something so great. But the power of completely manipulating your audience on purpose and then showing all the things that you were hiding, but doing it where it looks like it's one cut is so perfect. I can't imagine sitting there with like three the best directors of all time and not just going crazy for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a and there's supposed to be a remake of that.
Speaker 3: There is a remake. There's I think it was like Dutch or German or something. Keino released it. Okay, I cannot believe I can do this. I don't know if this is it. I bought it in one of the recent sales. It was not that title, but it's not within arms reach.
Speaker 4: Okay. I just didn't know if the remake did the same.
Speaker 3: I believe it does, but I believe it's not quite as well done.
Speaker 5: Typical typical.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's French, says KB.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's French, okay.
Speaker 3: And then they did the one cut of the Dead Hollywood something. I've not seen that new thing that they added to it or whatever whatever. The original solid like one hour film is amazing, perfect film.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good one. Damn dude. Your choices I feel like are blown mine away.
Speaker 3: All right, spoiler Banner's gone, welcome back, everybody, turn up your volume. No, my choices aren't blown in there. I mean these are all these are all valid, All choices are valid here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well I have one. I'm currently reading Naked Theater and Uncensored Horror, which is the Stuart Gordon biography right now. Yeah, and it's fantastic because you know, he's a filmmaker who has an incredibly rich and interesting past and his involvement from theater into film I didn't know about, but it's it's incredible. But one movie is that I feel like kind of gets like overlooked. You know, you have your re animator, you have dolls. Here's so much of what he does. But for me, I would love to just sit down and geek out about Castle Freak. Yes, like the fact alone, to have a conversation about shooting this in Charles Bands Castle.
Speaker 4: Is a crazy thing in itself, Like.
Speaker 5: This movie to me feels you have obviously Barbara Crampton's back, Jeffrey Combs back, you know, the typical crew, and they have such an odd relationlationship here with her distress of Jeffrey Combs at all. I don't want to get too crazy into it, but.
Speaker 4: I don't want to.
Speaker 5: I want to sit down with some other like big Stuart Gordon fans and kind of talk about where this, how this fits in his filmography, because to me, this movie feels a little more in a weird way, like uh.
Speaker 4: Like prestigious.
Speaker 5: It's not as funny as re Animator, It's not as silly as Dolls.
Speaker 4: It takes itself very seriously.
Speaker 5: The monster is a genuinely scary and unnerving Yeah, it's really gross. The Jeffrey Comb's character is like incredibly conflicting, and you feel terrible for Barbara Crampton. It's a movie that is just an incredible piece of his filmography for me that I want to sit down with just a bunch of other Stuart Gordon fans and talk about kind of how this, how this fits, and the reason I brought that one up specifically because I love it, and every single time I talk about Stuart Gordon, everyone's like, oh, re Animator, that's that's where everybody goes kind of instantly, and nobody talks about Castle Freak. And it's one of the few Gordon movies that doesn't have a commentary already, right, which is which is real crazy to me because it's such a great movie.
Speaker 2: So I adore this movie.
Speaker 3: This movie is gross and fun and so authentic in what it's trying to accomplish and it yeah, this is a fun, fun choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I wonder too, Like my thing is that this is one of the non HP Lovecraft adapted, like one of the few that Gordon did that wasn't based on that and for the like, the premise is not incredibly originally give a monster that has been neglected, stuck in a castle, hanging out, knocking his castle. Yeah, and he's he's hungry, he gets out and he goes on his killing spree.
Speaker 4: But it handles it so well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it also is like everybody else and like you said, it's nasty as hell, it still manages to get in this sleeve, you know, the scene and the wine cellar It's just a such an interesting little moment in Gordon's filmography that I would love to dive into a little bit deeper.
Speaker 3: I agree, Yeah, this is this is a good time. Cali Kid in the chat. Thank you again for the donation. Here can we get some audio commentary tracks for Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, the Scorsese movies, Gregi Gerwy commentary. Barbie shows me audio commentary tracks aren't dead. I mean, they're clearly not dead. There's more people doing commentaries now than ever before. I have a feeling we're probably a gal that was not a word. We're probably about to get some Paul Thomas Anderson releases and upgrades for some of his stuff, and it would be the perfect time to get some people in there on those. Yeah, I honestly say, Mike says, we wish we could have gotten Michael Mann commentary and the keep if he liked the movie, that probably would have been possible.
Speaker 5: There there was this interesting period And tell me if you remember, because I think this was like the Zack Snyder Watchmen era where directors would do it would typically be a bonus feature or it would be like a watch along where I remember during Watchmen there was moments where like it would go to Zack Snyder, who was at this table, and then he would break down sequences. So it wasn't like a full on commentary, but he would go in and I feel like that's the level that you would kind of have to get if you're talking about Paul Thomas Anderson or like Quentin Tarantino. I feel like to accurately get a great commentary from them would be pausing them, pausing the movie and going on for twenty minutes additional about a scene, and then playing the movie again. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, Last Movie Standing brought up that Hush Mike Flannagan did a video commentary for this release, and honestly, words out of my mouth what I was going to say right after Chris just said that instead of the breaking down the scenes, I bring back the whole idea of the picture and picture commentary bring in I want to see the director, the writer, and then maybe like the one or two top built stars just sitting on one side of a table and discussing super imposed over the film so I can see what they're seeing and just shoot the whole thing if they need to take a break every twenty five minutes. Sure, that's great, you can totally cut. It's not like we're going to complain about that, but I would love to be able to see them talk about it. And honestly, it gives all of us more of an incentive to watch the film again with the commentary other than just listening. Because right now, with the whole audio commentary thing, I'm gonna shout out my guys in def Crocodile again. We are putting out audio commentaries as podcast episodes, and I wish everybody would do that because now I don't have to sit at the TV and watch the film again.
Speaker 2: I get the.
Speaker 3: Freedom to be able to do it elsewhere. But now if I have the video commentary, there's an incentive. There's like a bonus to sit there and watch them. That sounds that almost sounds more fun. Yeah, I feel like that Hush release was.
Speaker 2: Such a.
Speaker 5: Like to have multiple cuts a video commentary like that. To me, what Screen Factory and Mike Fanagan did with that was perfection. They brought back things that we haven't seen in a while. When was the last time, Like, you know, we get multiple cuts all the time, but to have three radically different cuts of black and white cut, a brand new hush cut, the original cut in the movie video commentaries like to me bonus feature and presentation was perfect on that and it was.
Speaker 3: A film that not only was like, hey, look at this fancy new edition, it made the leap from streaming to disc and it was the first time. And that's a huge fucking deal to be able to get something like that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's a massive deal. And you can tell you can just look at that release and tell that Flanagan fucking loves that movie and love what he did with it. And you know, I first when I heard he got the rights to it and he was waiting to announce a label, I was like, okay, I have a family. It's gonna be Screen Factory. I was expecting like an Arrow or something like that. But I think Screen Factory handled it really well. And I think that's because they had Flannagan on their side saying, hey, look, we need to put this in and I'm going to invest. Because it's also the director needs to invest the time. The director needs to come back and say yes, I am interested in doing this or putting in the effort to help you achieve this, and Flannigan clearly did that, and that's very apparent on the final release that we got.
Speaker 3: Reservoir wants to point out Mike Flanagan is also doing a commentary movie podcast with movies cast and directors, which is awesome. And yeah, I think I posted about that in the last Physical Media Advocate, or maybe the one before that, like right after they announced that I was publishing, and so I added it to at the last moment scope that that's coming.
Speaker 5: His one with Radio Silence for Ready or Not is incredible and I actually revisited Ready or Not for that and the fact that he does an episode that's sort of like a conversation beforehand leading up to the commentary.
Speaker 4: It's such a great concept.
Speaker 3: Cali Kids says, commentary tracks my favorite bonus feature. I think a lot of us would agree. Lately, my favorite is visual essays, but I totally I mean, if I could listen to commentaries anywhere.
Speaker 2: I would do that all the time. I would all like, I would never listen to a podcast again. I would just listen to commentaries. Yeah, Sibner listening to His favorites are Cruel Intentions.
Speaker 3: And American Pie and Nice all right, my fourth pick, This one is probably the most silly on my list. But these last two that I'm gonna talk about are just simply because I love the movies basically, And this is the silliest of my five, and that is Tremor's four. This is Tremor's four back to Perfection. This is the Old West Tremors that they did, where it's from like the eighteen hundreds, and growing up in the desert near like an old silver mining town where I did, and I used to go. We talked about this on your show just a couple of days ago. I used to go hang out in the mines and everything. I adore Tremors for because I feel like I've lived some of this movie without the monsters, and I want to just talk about the Tremors franchise because it's one of my favorite franchises in horror history, and this one is just fun. To have people playing these like ancestral versions of themselves and see the monsters attack people eighteen hundreds where they don't have technology to deal with things. That is going to be a blast to talk about. So yeah, I mean, we're never gonna get commentaries for all of the Tremors films, and I want to do part four, so let's freaking do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you think we'll reach the Era Video limited Edition boxet to part four or do you think that's already done because we have one in two.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I'd like that to be the case. But I mean, once we start getting like Napoleon Dynamite and the weird movie guy from Scream starring in these, that's a little weird for some of these. I love them still, they're cheesiest hell, but yeah, definitely definitely.
Speaker 2: A little weird. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I've never seen Tremors four, so it's a masterpiece. Okay, I'm gonna watch it now just because you said that. That's all just because you said that. So moving on to my last one, and I want to give contact to this one because there's there's so much. It's a see That's why we watch Commed, That's why we listen to the commentaries.
Speaker 4: It's pure example why why we list in the commentaries.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 5: There was a weird little period of my life. And we've talked about this this box set. We like, certain filmmakers are are very divisive people. People love them, people hate them, but at the end of the day, like you have to appreciate their vision. And I'm talking about Lars von Treyer specifically here probably the most divisive, one of the most divisive filmmakers out there. But I remember scrolling on Netflix and coming across this movie becoming absolutely obsessed with it. Well equally, I think this was one of my hardest viewing experiences the first time I saw it. And I'm talking about the double Nymphomaniac movies, which, like, again, I bet you nobody expected this to come into the conversation. We've carried, We've covered now portraits of Andrea Palmer and Nymphomaniac.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: You know what is great about this is just last night I recorded a show for somebody Else's podcast and one of my discoveries of the year is the Nymphomaniac double feature because I loved this so much.
Speaker 5: Dude, there is no okay, I mean, if you to even dive into the extent of storytelling here, this is a movie. Within twenty minutes, you get a blistering heavy metal score over beautiful rain shots in the beginning, and then you have have a Now you watch the director's cuts, right, you watched the okay, all right, good within within like the first hour of this movie. We you have heavy Metal, you have Stellin Scar's guard on. I think what his his second feature with Lars Montrea. I know we did Breaking the Waves.
Speaker 2: Might even be a third.
Speaker 5: And I do want to reply to at comment that that just came up. If you if you watch Nyfomaniac one or two and and get turned on in any remote way, I'm concerned for your mental health considerably. But yeah, so Lars Montrere is such an interesting filmmaker to me. He's somebody who I feel like you can analyze almost every single frame of his movie and find something to discuss. But it's also the evolution of storytelling through Niphomaniac one to two because all the characters carry over. But there's a really interesting trauma and plot that kicks off in part two that is devastating. It is incredibly hard to watch. It's told in an unflinching style. But Lars von Treyer has a visual style that's kind of like unlike anybody kind of more in modern day films, like he nothing is to the imagination right, And there is a couple of bonus features on the Blu ray of the director's cut that talks about things like how they addressed the very real sex stuff and how they pulled it off. And that's incredibly interesting from a production standpoint to me, of how you figure this stuff out. To have somebody like Shia above in this movie in the way that he's in this movie is incredibly interesting. And I don't know who I would want to do this commentary with. I don't I don't know. I feel like I would just want to sit in a room with a microphone and just kind of like go at it as it happens, you know what I mean, Because it's a movie that I've I've seen now three or four times. It's a movie I've seen three or four times, and every single time I see it, my opinion greatly increases and I find more stuff I didn't see before. And to me, it's a it's a it's a masterpiece that too many people look at on the surface and.
Speaker 3: Judge, which it's easy to obviously, especially for Prudis anyway. And I mean when the marketing is character posters of everybody doing their own o fase, like he knew what he was doing for this movie.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah. The whole idea is get people interested and then and fucking the stone cold stun them into the floor, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like there there are moments in this movie that are so there's there. There's like a thirty.
Speaker 2: Five right left. You just have you picturing Steve Austin being in there.
Speaker 5: You're like dude in the first in the first. In Infomenic Volume one, there's like a forty minute sequence with Uma Thurman that is so incredibly uncomfortable. It's so and it never ends. It keeps going and keeps going to a point where like you almost want to start fast forwarding just to get just to get past. And we talked about horror, like we we basically picked horror movies. Volume two to me is a straight up horror movie. Yeah. Uh, it gets really, really really dark. And if you've seen Anti Christ or you've seen Breaking the Waves, it's kind of a perfect combination of the two of those.
Speaker 4: It it really is.
Speaker 5: And Yeah, when I was thinking about this, I was like, this is a movie I would love to just sit with a microphone and go on about I don't know, everybody, look out. Me and Ryan are gonna do a commentary on the four K release of Ninpho Maniac one and two.
Speaker 3: There is nothing as intimidating as a four hour and twenty three minute commentary about nothing but sexual taboo topics. It sounds amazing, but also, holy shit, am I intimidated?
Speaker 5: We're like, yeah, in this scene we're watching, here is a montage of different types of dick.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 3: So for the next twenty minutes, she's she's planning and performing this medical procedure on her Yeah. Yeah, I mean, this is a truly stupendous pick. Glad to see that it's your last one. What's really funny, Like I said, I talked about Nyfomniac literally last night while sitting in this very chair, but I almost picked as my final pick tonight was almost the house the Jack built because that.
Speaker 2: Movie is still the one for him that I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hate to say, like it is my favorite film from Lars von Trier because it's so frickin' heinous, but it's maybe my favorite film from Lars von Trier, and it's it's crazy. I mean, the way that he gets things on camera and doesn't flinch from anything, and I mean there are certain things in the House the Jack built that I would want to pause and just discuss the mindset that goes into it, like the I mean, I should almost put up the spoilers banner again for this. But the scene in the House of the Jack built where he poses the two bodies that people first of all are shocked that they showed him killing on screen, but then he goes through the trouble to move things and make them look comfortable like a family photo. Like that alone is something crazy to get on camera.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, or even that first his and it's not a spoiler, his first kill is again, it keeps going and it brings up it goes against all of the rules of death in cinema, in movies being like this real quick, you know, like gunshot that the leg and people were dead, and the fact that it just keeps going and going.
Speaker 4: To even think.
Speaker 5: About that and to break that down it is to me, it's almost like the scene when Anton kills the the cop in the beginning of No Country for Old Men, how it just keeps going and going. And I remember watching a thing with the Coen Brothers talking about how how long it takes to strangle somebody, and that was the purpose of that scene. That's why that camera pans down from the ceiling so slow, because they really wanted to sell how long it takes, And that to me is a crazy he thought just in itself, you know what I mean, and then to translate that and put that into a movie is nuts.
Speaker 3: Terry is asking, so I'll ask, do I start with Dogville or Nymphomaniac if you've never seen any Lars von Trier. I mean, I would say start with neither one of those. There are first off, he's done a lot of films, but there's also some that if you watch Dogville or Niphomniac first, I fear you may not want to continue into some of the others. I think the the likely best answer for this is probably Dancer in the Dark to your melancholia. Yeah, it's like you're being welcomed into the family and then everything else will terry with the needs and you'll be stuck there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think you can really get into Lars von Treer and the opening scene of Antichrist.
Speaker 2: So anyways, my last pick here.
Speaker 3: Like I said, these last two are kind of just movies I love and I want to talk about them. I truly feel like the work of this director is made for me, almost like it matches all of my sensibilities. And I love it, maybe almost more than anything as a whole from any filmmaker. And we don't have a boutique release of it, and we have a boutique of everything else that isn't just a streaming film now. So I'm gonna say I would love to do, and I'm going to be very specific here, a four K second site release of Blue Ruin by Jeremy Solnier, And I would love to do that commentary with Jeremy and talk about Revenge and the South and the area of the country that he is filming in where it feels like you could have said that that was almost any state and it looks like, yeah, I could see that being in the state just magically pulls it off. That it's almost like this locationless setting because it's so nondescript in a way and it's just green. Blue Ruin is such this harrowing tale of somebody taking a bad morning and dealing with it the best that they possibly could. I truly love the performance in this from somebody that has now turned into himself an incredible filmmaker with making Blair, and I would love to hear how Jeremy Solnier feels now looking back going from something like Murder Party to this and then watching things explode for.
Speaker 2: Him with Green Room and then Less Hold the Dark.
Speaker 3: But you know, this year, he's got a lot of attention with what he just did on Netflix, and I feel like this is one that now needs a special place on our shelves if we're gonna truly appreciate what I think is a modern, truly incredible, very unique filmmaker. He has some sort of incredible style. And what's crazy is now that people are discovering Murder Party, you can see pieces of green Room in Murder Party. You can see some of the establishing shots that he has in green Room. He is able to pull that off like in his very first film. I truly think he is somebody that has almost spent his entire career so far as like this fully realized filmmaker and a lot of people they need to get there, they need a couple that will help them sort of shake off the ice before they can get into that next level.
Speaker 2: And he's just always been there.
Speaker 3: And it might just be me being biased because I love a shit, but Blue Ruin deserves a lot of attention. It deserves it deserves to be in the pantheon with great revenge films, and I would love to be a.
Speaker 2: Part of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is a it's really shocking that we don't have a good release a Blue Ruin. That that's incredibly shocking to me.
Speaker 2: And I think the Blue is even out of print now too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like knowing knowing that we have green Room on four K, and I get it. Green Room is more mass appeal, but you know, ever since, ever since then, he's been doing Netflix stuff and I haven't seen Rebel Ridge yet, but I've heard it's very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I've heard.
Speaker 5: Green Room. He has an incredible sense of and I'm trying to figure out how to put it. There is this in between of of of.
Speaker 4: Of time that I feel like a lot of people don't shoot in.
Speaker 5: So there's there's like this, there's this time and like with sunset, where a lot of times you see the golden hour, you see the sun, but there's this interesting moment where color seems to disappear, the sky is not as beautiful as it is. Things are getting dark, but they're not fully there yet, and I feel like Jeremy Salnier lives there. Yeah, because green Room consistently feels like that five thirty am days to me, where like it just feels like a weird hour and it's such a specific feeling that even me saying this probably doesn't make sense for a lot of people. And so you watch the movie and you're like, oh, wait a second, I know what this is. And it's been a long time since I seen Blue Room. And I actually saw it before green Room on some sort of streaming service. It was on, it was on something, and I remember thinking it had been a long time since they saw a revenge movie that to me was portrayed so realistic.
Speaker 3: So this is another one, like I mentioned earlier, that is just sweaty. These people feel like it's humid here and it's pissing me off. And so I'm extra irritated with what you did to ruin my life. And so now I'm gonna park up in this double wide trailer and I got the shotgun ready, and you are fucked, and it makes all of it just feel exacerbated. It's more earnest. It's like you can feel the shorts clinging to.
Speaker 2: The back of his knees as he gets out of the truck type of scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's exactly he did the same thing in Green Room and same two. With his style of violence, everything feels like real and raw. Like I remember watching Green Room with my wife and then the dog attack Yep in the venue. I was like, God, this is like or even Antony Elchin's arm yep getting cut up like it. There's just a And I don't want to say it's realistic because I don't know what that looks like in reality. But to me, it just has an impact to it. And and and it's that it's that technical approach, it's the sound design, it's how to shoot it, it's it's how to show just enough to sell it. It's really Yeah, that arm scene is it's pretty.
Speaker 2: It's pretty rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah that yeah.
Speaker 5: But but even Hold the Sound alone, dude, I didn't hate I didn't hate Hold the Dark, and I don't remember it now as much, but I remember still thinking that it lived in this weird in between that most movies don't as far as visual setting. It lived where the sun just disappears below the horizon. Things are just bright enough for you to see but not dark enough to see detail. And I remember genuinely being afraid of the wolves and whole I think it was the wolves, right yep, and hold, I remember genuinely being being afraid. And it's just like that thing I keep thinking about every single time I watch or hear of Jeremy Salnier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I love the way you descry that, because absolutely it feels like the sun just disappeared beyond behind the horizon and now you've got like any any semblance of light left is obscured by trees and buildings, and so you're in this like extra bleak, like almost like bleached bleached out colors, like fading, and you're holding on.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a desperate time to film.
Speaker 3: Everything feels like, well, we know it's about to get bad, and that's why these movies feel worse, because you're already feeling the tension of the situation, but also.
Speaker 2: We're about to add dark onto that, like we're screwed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's something a lot of people don't like.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: I would definitely encourage.
Speaker 5: People to when watching movies, like pay attention to that sort of stuff because it adds a different I know it's easy to be like, it's easy to look at movies and say like, oh, they wanted it to look like this, they wanted to look like that.
Speaker 4: Movies, for lack of a better word, don't.
Speaker 5: Feel lit right to me. It feels like natural lighting when you're in that venue in green Room, nothing feels like there is a lighting setup just outside the frame. Everything feels real. It feels like that led light on the wall that does not have a glass covering is bouncing that way and it's all even outside. Like if you look at any shot of Patrick Stewart in green and I keep going back to green Room because it's a movie I'm most familiar with with him. Every single shot of Patrick Stewart, every single shot on the outside scenes of green Room, nothing is like deliberately lit. It's like the light bouncing off of the wall and everything's just that weird. Even like you said, yeah, it's it's it's really cool, and it really elevates elevates the movie because it feels real and it feels kind of honestly a bit like uncomfortable, Like it feels like it's it's just that weird, you know how people say, oh, I love going out at four am because you know, the whole world's asleep. It feels like that weird in between time that you're kind of a little uncomfortable in, and the whole movie lives right there.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So well, uh, if you are listening and you have not seen any of these, which I'm sure people have seen at least some of them, but if you haven't seen these two specifically, I think Castle Freak and Blue Ruin would make for a really fun double feature.
Speaker 4: I think, uh, I think we could go with.
Speaker 5: Let's see, I think Blue Ruin and uh portraits of Andrea Palmer.
Speaker 2: It's a very desperate double feature.
Speaker 4: Oh, just trying to pick, just trying to pick two there.
Speaker 3: Uh well, we'll say, uh if you want to be like extra horning NYF Maniac and Tremor's four, there's a lot of things going into holes on those.
Speaker 5: And watch Tremors four in between one and two of Mythrominium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a pallid clutch. Yeah, Art one and two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, finish the finish volume one and then watch Tremers four and then go into volume two and make volume two better.
Speaker 2: I pro Oh, man, that is hilarious. Well, uh, we did it.
Speaker 3: We both listed our five incredible choices on your half.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: As a wrap up, remindered everybody Chris's show that he just started.
Speaker 2: Literally one intro.
Speaker 3: Episode and then one main episode has only been released Spotify exclusive until next week ish.
Speaker 2: You can find that link of the description below.
Speaker 3: Anything else to shout out, that's probably it at the moment, right follow him on Instagram that's also linked below.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really that's about it.
Speaker 5: There's a ton of love in here for uh, for audio commentaries, so I would definitely at least I'm not telling you to subberor follow the show or anything, just at least check it out. Let us get our bearings. We're still learning how to do this whole thing, and we're still you know, figuring out the structure and stuff, but we're doing it truly out of a love for commentaries and I love for the genre, and we're really hoping to you know, continue encouraging people to want to listen to them and studios to keep investing into them.
Speaker 2: So it's a good call.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Beyond the Blood Podcast, I'm excited to see how it grows and moves on from here. Make sure you check it out as soon as you can. Other shout outs for me. Don't forget Shelf Shock Rewind Awards coming up in February. Voting is still open all the way until the end of January. If you are excited about physical media and you want to make your opinion known about things that you love that came out in twenty twenty four, now is the time to vote. We are We're nearing the amount of votes already that we got all of last year and it's not even January tenth, So please get more and more and more of those votes in. I'd love to see the community really step up here. Excited to share that show with you guys. If you love conversations like this, there's a Patreon for the show. We got a discord that's it's been hoping the entire time we've been live tonight. Lots of comments going on there. You can join the Patreon to get access to the discord. Link is below. CALLI kid again with a very generous donation. What are your twenty four movies that are your favorites? Any couple from last year that you want to shout out there?
Speaker 5: Chrish, Yeah, the Substance was definitely one. My jaw was on the floor the whole entire theatrical experience, which is great. But my favorite movie of the year is The Bike Riders. I love. I think that movie is perfect beginning to end. It felt very American cinema in a way that we don't get anymore. And I wish more people check that. Obviously Callie Kid did, and I love that it was part of your favorites list, but I still feel like more people should have checked that movie out.
Speaker 3: My top ten very quickly on my letterbox. You can see this list right now, number one anor number two, last top at U mccounty. Then we have the Substance what I think is the most underrated film of the year. Snackshack one of my favorites. L's number four. I saw the TV Glow as five, rebel Ridge all the way up at number five, Hundreds of Beavers at six or sorry I missed one. Rebel Ridge was six hundreds of Beavers of seven, Love Lies Bleeding at eight, Femme at nine, and then We Live in Time at number ten.
Speaker 5: Oh, we Live in Time. Oh loved that movie. I did not expect that to be on your top ten.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Snackshack is on Hulu, I think, is it not?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I thought that was like a Hulu exclusive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great movie. People shoul check it out. It's the same guy that did Dinner in America, Adam. I think his last name is Raymier. Incredible, incredible director. It's and oh physical, not yet, at least I hope eventually. No, it's not physical, but it's on Hulu. Check it out until next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Thanks for taking the time, Chris. I know it's late over on the East Coast.
Speaker 5: That's okay, man, I'll just stay up till work starts and suffer later.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seriously, thank you man. I love your show, love what this does. I'm happy to be here a second time. I'm honored, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Can't wait till the third. Have a good night and go listen to Chris as show. He wants you to hear it. We'll see you next Thursday. Everybody, Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 2: Tell me.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for more horror outside of the mainstream, look no further than Unsung Horrors, a podcast about underseen horror movies.
Speaker 4: I'm Lance and I'm Erica.
Speaker 8: Every other week we'll cover a horror movie with fewer than one thousand views on Letterboxed. We'll even give you double feature recommendations to pair with the movies we discuss.
Speaker 7: From gothic to shot on video, from slashers to comedies, from Giallo to j horror. We'll cover all the subgenres. So join us as we unearth these hidden gems of horror.
Speaker 8: Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. All at Unsung Horrors available wherever you listen to podcasts and part of the Someone's Favorite Product's podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network. Please select the link in the description.