Speaker 1: And now your host former Rongo Casino Dodgers on Deck tam kayse.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, and welcome in to mo Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. I hope you're enjoying this Wednesday nights, your Los Angeles Dodgers sixty six and forty eight. The home stand continues with the final game of this three game set between the two top teams of the National League, the Dodgers and Phillies. The Dodgers go for the series win tonight with Gavin Stone on the mound. First pitch from Dodger Stadium is coming up at seven to ten on Sandy Kofax's Bobblehead Night out at the Ravine for the first forty thousand through the turnstiles. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, We'll got a lot to get to. We're gonna hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts, which to get you the latest injury report from this Dodgers team has more moves that have been made today. With guys going on the il, we'll get your Dodgers magical moment.
Speaker 3: We'll dive deep into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: David vasegoes one on one with Dodger historian Mark Langel. That is coming up in forty five minutes. Shortly, we'll hear from Kirsten Watson. In just a few minutes, we'll send it out to the Gallpina Motors broadcast booth, and here from Stephen Nelson and Rick Monday. Well, last night at the Ravine, Kershaw with his best outing of this season, but the game got away from the Dodgers. Lake Clayton. Kershaw got the start, the future Hall of Famer, making his third start since coming back from offseason shoulder surgery. Four and two third innings, one run, five hits, five strikeouts. The Dodgers' offense well, they struggled to give him some run support. Freddie Freeman, though, did set a career milestone in the first last.
Speaker 4: Night, his emotional return to the lineup after being on the family emergency list. His three year old son Maximus, with Kean Burrey syndrome, was in the ICU and Freddie blists the ball into the right center field gap.
Speaker 5: It's gonna get all the way to the wall.
Speaker 4: Freddie makes his turnaround and he is standing up at second with his five hundredth career double.
Speaker 2: He's back Freddie Freeman five hundredth career double, just the sixty fifth player in baseball history to do that, the tenth youngest player when he hit his five hundredth double and that is the top tier play of the game sponsored by Arco Quality Top Tier Gas for Less. The game remained scoreless through three and the fourth of the Phillies with runners on first and third with one out Curs although able to get out of that jam with the strikeout and the ground out, it remained scoreless going to the fifth. In the top half of the inning, Kyle Schwarber and RBI single with two outs. They gave the Phillies a one to nothing lead. Clayton Kershaw would leave after four and two thirds. Joe Kelly got the final out of the fifth. Bruce dark Graderol started the sixth but had to leave after eight pitches with a hamstring injury.
Speaker 3: Brent Honeywell came in and well.
Speaker 2: Then he gave up the Dodgers lead even more, but he got hitting around his Phillies with three runs at the top of the sixth, took a four to nothing lead. Will Smith and RBI ground out in the bottom of the six got the Dodgers on the board.
Speaker 3: Finally, they were down four.
Speaker 2: To one in the eighth. Tay Oscar Hernandez got him a little closer.
Speaker 4: At first and second, nobody on the seventh, but couldn't get anybody home. So now in the eighth we watch Hernandez I drive center field, crushed at the wall as Marsky will watch it go, and Tao so once again at Dodgers Stadium, a leadoff solo home run of the eighth, twenty fifth of the year for ti Oscar Hernandez, who's gone deepened. Back to that game, the Dodgers are within two.
Speaker 2: Dodgers down four to two. Unfortunately they get no closer. In fact, the Phillies would tack on two more in the top half of the ninth on back to back home runs from Sosa and Shorter. Philly's gone and beat the Dodgers last night, six to two. Christopher Sanchez gets the win, Clayton Kershaw gets the loss.
Speaker 3: Dodgers fall to sixty six.
Speaker 2: And forty eight on the season, their lead in the division now four games over the Padres Cavin Stone. He gets the ball tonight in the series finale, first pitch, coming up at seven to ten and with moret Leant's head out to the Kalpin Motors broadcast boot the Dodgers Stadium on this warm Wednesday night and say hello to Stephen Nelson Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks Tim. The series finale coming up quick here at Dodgers Stadium. The series is on the line for the top two teams in the National League. The Dodgers, after losing last night in Game two, dropped to one and a half back of the Phillies for the number one seed in the NL. But Rick Monday, instead of looking ahead, the object in the mirror, the rearview mirror is getting even closer because the Diamondbacks won twice today on the road in Cleveland. They sweep the Guardians and are now three and a half back of the division.
Speaker 2: In the West.
Speaker 6: Well, if you look at the the side mirrors, there's that little disclaimer says objects appear to be closer than they actually are. Well, guess what. The Diamondbacks, in winning the doubleheader today, are road close. They're three and a half behind the Dodgers. Dodgers did not win tonight. That's a three game separation, So yeah, the Dodgers have to take care of business. They looked like they had you know, had me won three in a row last night. Never really got on track from an offensive standpoint. They left some runners on base. They were zero for eight with runners in scoring position in that ballgame. There was some good news and there was some bad news. The good news, I thought was Clayton Kershaw coming on. He wanted to complete the five innings. He went four and two thirds thought the breaking ball in particular, not only the curveball but also the slider was Clayton Kershaw type pitches and that's a strong, strong indication. We retired the first six batters in the ballgame before a broken back base hit to lead things up in the fourth. The sad news was for Bruce dark Grattarol. He work so hard for such a long period of time, his second outing off the injured list. Unfortunately, eight pitches into his outing, what appeared to be a devastating handstring injury, and all the emotion just flows out because these guys are human. You know, you get injured and you fight for so long and so hard to come back, and all of a sudden boom, with one pitch, it looks like you're not going to be able to pitch again for a while.
Speaker 4: A Grade three hamstring tear for Bruce Darr graderol and emotion. I mean, that's someone who had he has so much joy for this game, and he plays with so much emotion. He invoked so much emotion from the people who watch him, and so to lose him like that in his debut is really a gut punch. So now the Dodgers turn the page today. That's what you baseball players say, We'll forget about yesterday. Who cares anymore. It's about the game in front of you. And they still still have a chance to win the series today. So what has to happen for them to do that.
Speaker 6: How much adjustment do the Dodgers make from an offensive standpoint, And I'm talking about putting the ball into play, hitting behind runners possibly. Also, here's the deal for you, if you're not hitting particularly well, what about the bunts? What if you've been a guy over get him into scoring position. I thought there were some pieces in last night's ball game that were very, very good, including the Taskar Hernandez gun on base three different times, had a double, also the home run that he was able to hit, and Freddy Freeman came back and for Freddy Freeman his five hundredth double. He's only one of sixty five players in baseball history they have five hundred doubles. And you look at the emotion that he has gone and gone through recently low with his family. Things are looking up in that aspect of it. It's good to get Freddy Freeman back in the lineup.
Speaker 4: Well, now the Dodgers try and get some hits. Those were tough to come by last night, especially with men on base tim they were oh for fourteen. The Dodgers with men on zero for eight with runners in the scoring position, the lineup will have a different look. Will Smith not starting, Austin Barnes, Will Miguel Rojas drawing back in activated off the ange list, James Outman option to triple A. We'll get into Rojas in his first game, and Gavin Stone and his start trying to get back on track when we talk to you next.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Nelly, as we cut you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get that game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Order your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shankys dot Com coming up here on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 3: You're ready here for the manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: We'll check in with David Maas say he'll go one on what would Dodger historian Mark Langel. That's coming up at six forty five. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup with Gavin Stone on the mount up next though, you're Otani Rewin. We'll visit with Sports Net LA's Kirsten Watson. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Phillies first pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network is Lorongo Casino. Dodgers on Dodger was on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Phillies, final game of this three game set, top teams in the National League going at it. Gavin Stone, Tyler Phillips the pitching matchup in this series finale. Dodgers Day off tomorrow, then the Pittsburgh Pirates come to down Friday, Saturday and Sunday. First pitch tonight though at seventeen.
Speaker 5: This is the Otani Rewid.
Speaker 2: Well, rough night for showy Otani at the plate last night Dodgers with the lost six to two. Shoho Tani is still hitting over three hundreds, still part of the thirty thirty club and on his way to becoming one of the elite forty forty club members. So Tony re Ryan brought to you by eto insjud Japan's number one green tea and the tea that shoey Otani loves and drinks available to local diso stores, Amazon and etoin dot com.
Speaker 3: That's it O e N dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Hey Kirson now joins us. Before this series finale, Dodgers and Phillies, top teams in the National League, squaring off for a one final time. But off the field, Keirston Mookie bets he's gonna be coming back on this next road trip, and his role when he comes back starting to look a little more clear.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he he's going to be returning as the shortstop.
Speaker 2: He'sne batting second, and we.
Speaker 7: Have seen him out here every single day since his hand was strong enough to be honest, like, he's just been taking down the reps, getting more and more comfortable playing at shortstop, so he feels good about the return. He was very option or just very transparent in the sense of he will do whatever the team needs him to do. But Dave Roberts, when he was talking about just the return, he was saying, you know, yes, there are a lot of questions, would it make more sense for him to retur turn as the right fielder, just considering how Miguel Rojas's performance has been defensively as well as offensively this year, what Gavin Lux looks like at second with the acquisitions all of those players and mostly utility guys, but with all of those moves, the question has been like, doesn't make more sense for Mukie to go to right field. But Dave was saying, it's been so long since he's played in right field that and he's been putting in the work at shortstop, so he feels really good about that. And then he's gonna be batting second, so showhe Tani will bad lead bat lead off, and then it'll be Moogie Betts and then Freddie Freeman. And Mookie was saying, again, as much as he's willing to do whatever the team wants of him, it is a little bit different when you are batting second compared to leadoff. So that'll just be something he just kind of has to readjust to.
Speaker 2: We talked about in the last couple of days, is more and more guys come off the injured list, is roster is gonna look different. But tomorrow is a big day the stadium with a sim game, and we've got some guys going out to the farm.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the same game tomorrow essentially is gonna include all of the position players that are on the il right now. So that's Chris Taylor, Max Munsey, Tommy Edmund. I mean, there's just going to be so many guy at Mookie Bets. There's going to be so many guys who are either in their final steps. So for Mookie Bets, he's going to have the live at bats tomorrow in the same game, and then he's going to probably take down some more live at bats over the weekend. Dave Robert said before his return in Milwaukee. For Chris Taylor, he's someone who's still he I spoke to in briefly today. He said he feels really good, but still gonna need a little bit more time. Max Munsey as well as Tommy Edmund. They're both going to start their rehab assignments over the weekend, So for Max Munsey and specific, he's likely going to need about a week of rehab outings before he returns back. Dave said that that oblique strain and they feel really good about where it's at. He got his back aligned by a chiropractor and that really helped just where his rib was and so that was actually been a really big turning point for him in this recovery. So he should be back, let's say a week week and a half after his eye Elston and then Tommy Edmund he's also going to start over the weekend with his rehab stint, and for that it's going to be just getting more reps playing defense. He was on his rehab assignment before being traded, so it's just a matter about getting back out there. But the big question is where does he play when he's healthy, And that's something we're all going to figure out together because it could be somewhere in the infield, it could be potentially in center field. He's a utility guy, so there are a lot of options. So they'll have to figure that out and make a lot of toughest, tough decisions for all of those guys to make their way back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of tough decisions, but good decisions for this Dodgers team. Kirsten, we appreciate it, Dodger fans and hance. You're listening to the experience by downloading the iHeart.
Speaker 3: Radio off and listening in HD.
Speaker 2: It's all powered by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angeline knows Lacare dot Org. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this bitching matchup. David vas segoes one on one with Mark Langel, Dodger historian. Up next, though, we'll get you an injury report and we'll to hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts. It's the Dodgers Phillies. First pitch is seven ten. I'm Tim Kasi's Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Wednesday night as we gonna read you up to first pitch Dodgers and the Phillies. Marongo Casino Resort and spat a Grand Slam, four good times, Kevin Stone, Tyler Phillips. A pitching matchup, first pitch coming up at seven ten.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, Official Medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Miguel Rojas, Michael Grove activated off the IL. Bruce dark Graderole goes back on the IL with the hamstring injury played. Trina on the iled left, Hiptos Comfort, Chris Taylor on the IEL, Mookie Betts, Yoshinoba Yamamoto, Walker Vieler, Max Mounsey, Ryan Brasier all on the IL. All right, let's set back out to Dodgers Stadium and check you're with the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 5: Anything else?
Speaker 8: Questions for Dave?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 5: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the pressure in the dugouts.
Speaker 5: With Dave Robberts?
Speaker 7: Dave will start, well, first, let's start with actually with Bruce dark grat Ole. How is he doing today? Did you get a chance to talk to him.
Speaker 9: I haven't seen Bruce right yet, but we've got good news on the MRI front. It was a Grade one hamstring and so that that's really good obviously we're going to kind of go through the process of resting it, rehaving it, and we're just going to go on him and see how we can build him back up, but still hopeful or hopeful that he'll return at some point in time this year.
Speaker 7: I know last night was incredibly emotional just watching him come off the mound, the emotions he expressed. So do you think this for him is just maybe a sense of relief, a knowing that it's not as bad as he thought it could have find I think so.
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 9: I think early on, obviously, you know, you could see with his emotion that he probably felt that was going to be the season for him. But with what we've gathered the information, I think there's a sense of relief and some optimism there today.
Speaker 7: With Gavin Stone, what have you been seeing from him as of Lada. What do you think has got to be just the key for him? He's been saying the execution is what's been missing, so just to get that back.
Speaker 9: I think it's twofold. I think the stuff has been good and has been consistent. I think, you know, one is the execution and the other part of it is just sequencing and he's got four good pitches, and I think that, you know, you look at the last four starts, five starts, I think there's been consistent patterns, and I just don't think he's used his entire arsenal as well as he could. So you know, hopefully tonight, you know, he'll kind of mix and match a little bit better.
Speaker 8: There's been a lot of talk about Pinky coming back once and coming back. How big is it to get Ronas back tonight?
Speaker 9: It's great, it's great, and you know that's kind of one of the first pieces to get back. And I know Miggy's excited to get back, so he'll be at short and then you know, once we get Mooki back, we'll have another conversation. But I know right now Maggie's just excited to get back to be playing again.
Speaker 6: What's the conversation need to be about.
Speaker 9: Well, I think for me, I've already talked to Miggi row that. You know, when Mooki does come back, he's gonna play short, and then Miggy will bounce around whether it's third second, and if there is a day that Mooki takes off, then he'll play short. So I just think that he's excited to be back, and you know, reiterating to me that whatever it takes to help us win.
Speaker 8: Where is that for hopefully of that decision, considering how the personnel have changed in the two months since Mookie was.
Speaker 9: Out there, I think I think there's a lot of things that went into the decision, you know, one being Gavin's play at second base, certainly with the bat. I think that Miggy's play obviously with the bat. Defensively, I think just continue to keep options open for something that is unforeseeable.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Dave Roberts down the Dugout, addressing a lot of different things for the Dodgers, the injury updates, Miguel Rojas where he fits in coming back off the injured Listen, of course, Bookie Betts less than a week away from rejoining this Dodgers team. Down the Dugout, brought to by Service Titan. Dave Roberts is a Titan in his own right. He's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. At Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at service Titan dot com. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with David Vasse so lead you up to first pitch on this Wednesday night, Sandy Kofax Bobble Ahead Night, First pitch Dodgers and Phillies at seven to ten.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: NETWORKISM Wrongo Casino, Dodgers on Deach.
Speaker 5: On your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Philly's final game of the three game set day off tomorrow. Then the Pittsburgh Pirates come to town for a three game series. Kevin Stone, Tyler Phillips. A pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at seven ten. This umpiring crew for tonight's game brought to you by Fred Loyer Insurance, celebrating fifty years of providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family. Coming up, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 5: For joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 8: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 5: This is Dodger insider David Bass.
Speaker 2: All right, David, going back to last night, Clayton Kershaw pitched into the fifth Inny.
Speaker 3: How about the day after? What are the thoughts and feelings about what he did last night.
Speaker 8: Well, I saw him out here earlier today. His body bounced back nicely. That's always a good thing, and you know, I think everybody was encouraged by what they saw. Dave Roberts even acknowledged that after the game, saying it was the best Kershaw has pitched since coming back, and that was his third start and looked tim People have to give him some time to round into form here because he's coming off major shoulder surgery. It was only his third start since coming back, and it looked better than what it looked like the second time. The second time was somewhat better than the first time. So he's building off of these things. And he's very confident that by the time against Too, his sixth or seventh start, he's going to be able to have a leash to go into the sixth or seventh inning. So there's no pain. The shoulder is structurally sound, there's no issues there.
Speaker 10: It's just a matter of the.
Speaker 8: Dodgers trusting Kershaw to go deeper into the game.
Speaker 2: Damer Gutting getting guys back. It seems like every other day here and right on the horizon, Max Mount, see Tommy Edmund a little bit down the road. Actually, what's the latest on those two and what's the plan for them once they do get activated.
Speaker 8: Well, first, Max Munsey and Tommy Edmund are going to participate with Mookie Betts tomorrow in a simulated game here at Dodgers Stadium. From there, Tommy Edmund and Max Munsey are going to go out for a week at least for rehab games. Monthsy wants some, Edmund and the Dodgers agree he needs them because he really hasn't played the field in a while since injuring his right ankle when he was with the Cardinals rehabbing from his right wrist injury. So both those guys need some games. But Mookie Betts is strictly going to stay here in LA and participate in a couple of simulated games. So that's the plan for those three players, And obviously Mooki is on the horizon coming back. When the Dodgers head out to Milwaukee next Monday.
Speaker 3: David is driven by Ford.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing we like, it's choice is fine yours with the four f one to fifty gas hybrid or all electric tough This March YEP can only be called f one fifty. Dalton Rushing, the Dodgers' top pick in the twenty twenty two draft out of Louisville, is kind of skyrocketed this.
Speaker 3: Season, DV.
Speaker 2: Through the minor leagues. Is there a chance we may see the power hitting left hander in the big leagues in September?
Speaker 8: Well, I know the social media world really got into a tizzy over Dalton Rushing being promoted a couple of days ago, and he is going to play left field. And I did talk to some people with the Dodgers and ask them whether or not it was a possibility for Dalton Rushing to be promoted in September. They would not rule it out. They said it is a possibility, but with the acquisitions they made at the trade deadline and these players getting healthy, they may not need it as much as they did if guys were not going to come back. So they're not closing the door on it. They want to see how Rushing plays in left field, and if they do need another left handed outfielder, Rushing could be that guy.
Speaker 2: Not to throw you a curveball here, DV. But what's the latest on Chris Taylor.
Speaker 5: He's taking his time, Tim.
Speaker 8: I think the Dodgers want him to take as much time as he needs to come back from his groin injury. I've seen him out here at Dodgers Stadium. He's been taking ground balls, he's been doing some agility drills. But honestly, with the way his season has gone, I would say nobody is rushing Chris Taylor back.
Speaker 2: Fair enough appreciated, d He will check back in with you in just a little bit coming up here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Well you hear from Dodger historian Mark Langel. We'll dive deeper into this pitching match up. Rick Monday will be back at his thoughts leading to this series finale against the Phillies. But up next, You're Dodgers Magical moment, don't go anywhere. Dodgers Phillies first pitch of seven ten, Sandy Kopec's Bobblehead.
Speaker 3: Night out at the Ravine. I'm Tim Kase's Los Angeles Dodgers on your network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, he's Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Phillies, final game of this three game series. Top two teams in the National League squaring off Gabin Stone Tyler Phillips.
Speaker 3: The pitching matchup, first pitch coming up at sevent.
Speaker 2: Tends not about nine without hot dog.
Speaker 1: Who wants a hot It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment. It's magical presented by Hawby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Go back to June first, twenty nineteen, the Dodgers playing host of the Phillies out at the Ravine, a night in which Will Smith would hit a walk.
Speaker 3: Off home run.
Speaker 11: The three to two fly ball the left field into the corner and.
Speaker 8: It is gone.
Speaker 5: A walk off home run.
Speaker 11: Will Smith the moment of his life. Now he's gonna be pummeled at home plate, his first big league home run, his first big League RBI, and the Dodgers winning a walk off four to three.
Speaker 2: In his first career walk off home run on June the first, twenty nineteen, at night, Will Smith will never forgive this Hofey Magical Moment brought to you by Hoffey Hot Dogs, a so cal treasure for over one hundred years. Visit hofeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase cra delicious Haffey hot Dogs. Will you continue here on Dodgers on deck. We'll check back in well. Rick mondays, we're leading you up to first pitch. Dodgers and Phillies. I'm Tim Katsi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It's Morono Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Phillies. Final game of this three game series. Dodgers will be off tomorrow, then back at it for a three game home series against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Kevin Stone on the mountain tonight, Dodgers fans, start your future at a California community college. Financial aid is available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the it's time to text that night. I think that next big step because classes can fill up quickly. Yeah, falsome Messag's going to start here very shortly. So enrolled today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David bas saying, here's LA Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 8: Rick the Dodgers looking to win this series, and yesterday Brent Honeywell set the Dodger bullpen up nicely to try to do that tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, we were looking I say, well as Dwayne McDonald, producer, engineer, looking at a couple of different numbers. And if we go back to Saturday's game, entering the Saturday's game up in Oakland, here were the numbers on the starting pitching and the relievers. Because the relievers have had more than their fair share of Hey, by the way, we need you to pitch, because coming into Saturday's game, since the fifteenth, actually since the first of July, the starting pitchers had worked one hundred and fifteen and a third innings. The relievers had worked one hundred and four and a third innings. Well, fortunately, since that time on Saturday, starting pitching his begin beginning to stretch things out a little bit more, lessen the burden upon the bullpen, because that's going to be very, very important because you just can't keep going to the well day after day after day.
Speaker 8: Rick, can you remind us about last night Clayton Kershaw won out away from going five innings a lot more swings and misses than his previous start. Do you feel like he's trending in the right direction?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, because last night there was the breaking ball and it was a breaking ball, not only with the curve ball, but with the slider on top of it. And he didn't waste any time at all. In fact, the very first hitter, Kyle Schwarber, he strikes out in a two to two pitch. He fouled a ball off in two two and then strikes out swinging. And then that first inning he established a very good slider. He established a very good curve ball. Kershaw does not have to throw ninety six miles an hour. He's not going to be able to the muster that velocity again, but he's crafty day. But he understands how to work and for last night to have the command of the strike zone as he did. I was very impressed because that's just the third outing since he's come off the injured list, and if we start to think about what he has accomplished coming off that injured list with shoulder surgery at his age, it's rather remarkable.
Speaker 8: And he wasn't thrilled to be taken out of the game right there, but he understands the Situation's.
Speaker 6: What makes Clayton Kershaw Clayton Kershaw. He never wants to come out of a ball game. Well, there's a few times here and there that you know it may be hot to maybe human and he's holding on and holding on. But last night he wanted to go longer. That's the difference in Clayton Kershaw and the competitiveness that he has when you look at the truly great pitchers and those that are here for maybe half a cup of coffee.
Speaker 8: All right, Rick, I've been waiting a few games to ask you this question. We've heard so much about the gold glover Kevin Kiermeyer and center field. What are your first impressions about the way he does it.
Speaker 6: He can run it down with the best of them. He does not make content with the bat with the best of him, and if he could do that, he'd be something I have always admired guys in centerfield, a little partial, having been a center fielder myself, but he's one of those guys. David, you look at a lot of guys in the outfield and say, well, he goes to his left really well, or he goes to his right really well, or maybe he comes in on the ball well. Kemic Cure Minors Carew has been able to go in all four directions in out left and right, to be able to make the catches. And if I'm the pitcher on the mound, I know I've got somebody that can just absolutely run it down to the outfield if he has a chance to get to the ball.
Speaker 8: No doubt the bat has slowed down, but the glove. I guess what's reputation is.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you look at what he has done from a defensive standpoint, and you look at highlight films, guess who you're going to see a lot of Ken mc kermeyer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, can't wait to see tom Y Edman out there too. We've heard so much about him and how good he is out there too. Exactly, So I'll give you five games when Tom Y Edman comes back and plays center field before I ask you, I let at marinate a little bit.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, you don't let the You don't have to let the marinate much much longer. He's already, you know, earned his stripes. If you will being able to run the ball down, you can also play short stop, you can play in the infields anywhere. So, yeah, he's a good globe man, speaking a globe man. Miguel Rojas is back in the lineup. He's at shortstop tonight coming off the injured list in a very sad situation last night with Bruce dog Grattarol unfortunately eight pitches into his just second starts as coming off the injured list of what appeared to be a devastating handstring injury and very sad news. And he was very emotional last night, and understandably so.
Speaker 8: He's a big teddy bear. Even though his nickname is the Bazooka.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't want to face him at home plate, but he's a guy that you like to put your armor around and say, hey, thanks, are going to be okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Key k Hernandez did that last night walking him off the field. Thanks Rick, I'll put my arm around you now.
Speaker 6: I'm going to walk you out of the booth.
Speaker 8: Right now, I'll send it back to him Kates.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you guys. Dodges Baseball brought to you by our friends of Speedy Cat, official sponsor of every LA Weekend.
Speaker 3: Find out more.
Speaker 2: It's Speedy caash Dot commerce stop in LA area, Speedy Cash Store. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll get your previe this pitching matchup. Stephen Nelson will rejoin Rick Monday and have you the keys of the game right before first pitch. But up next we go high end tight with Dodger historian Mark Langel lead you up to first pitch Dodgers Phillies. I'm Tim Katson's Los Angeles Dodgers on your network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Lead you up to Dodgers and Phillies on this Wednesday night, final game of this three game set.
Speaker 3: Kevin Stone on the mound, Tyler.
Speaker 2: Phillips will go for Philadelphia and Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital LA. When you need the very best care for your child, go to Children's Hospital Los Angeles rank number one in all of California for pediatric care. They're the best. Find out more and find the right doctor. Go to CLA org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 5: This this high and tight.
Speaker 8: It's Sandy Kofax babo head night at Dodger Stadium and also Alumni weekend coming up. And what a better person to talk to than Dodger team a story and Mark Langel, Mark, great to see you here at Dodger Stadium. We're all so happy things are going well with you.
Speaker 10: Well, David, it's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 12: And right after you say Alumni Weekend, I immediately think of Old Timers Day when they called it when I was a kid in the nineteen seventies and eighties, and it's still the same premise, no matter the same generation in terms of what you remember and everything. How cool that we're going to have all these familiar names coming back to Dodger Stadium and sharing memories.
Speaker 8: Including the all time legend Sandy Kofax. What do you want to share about him? Because it feels like everybody just bows at the altar of Sandy Kofax.
Speaker 12: Well, just imagine who is a reigning Hall of Famer for more than a half cent. I think people see the statue, but they don't really know the legend as far as behind the scenes.
Speaker 10: He retires when he's thirty.
Speaker 12: Years old, having won twenty seven regular season games in nineteen sixty six because of arthritis.
Speaker 10: So if you look at all the.
Speaker 12: Stats, they say three times Cy Young Award winner, they only gave one Cy Young Award between nineteen fifty six and nineteen sixty six, and I have a feeling that after Sandy had won three, they said, you know, we better give one to each league, otherwise Sandy's going to take them all.
Speaker 8: How much have you shared stories and memories with Sandy Kofax for him to be in the vault of Mark Langel's head.
Speaker 12: The really nice thing is to be able to know behind the scenes as far as the perfect game, and to be able to work with Jane Levy as far as that wonderful book.
Speaker 5: That he did.
Speaker 12: She did because people just don't understand. We've been playing baseball since eighteen ninety in the National League, we've only had one perfect game. September the ninth, nineteen sixty five. Sandy pitched it. So the greatest pitcher in our history pitched the only perfect game. And oh, by the way, Bob Henley of the Chicago Cubs only allowed one hit and one walk, and the hit had nothing to do with the scoring, so it could have been a double no hitter. So that night was just one of those pitching for the ages. Bob Henley versus Sandy Kolfe's.
Speaker 8: Mark Langel Dodger team Historing is joining us and on Friday night, Mark Dusty Baker will be honored. He was my favorite Dodger growing up. He captured the imagination of so many young Dodger fans. How special is it finally to have I guess, not closure, but full circle for Dusty on Friday.
Speaker 12: It's definitely full circle because I remember the struggles that he went through.
Speaker 10: In nineteen seventy six. He hits a home run.
Speaker 12: On opening Day and then they only hits three more because he's got knee problems. Tommy Lesorda comes along in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 10: I believe in you.
Speaker 12: You're my guy, You're my left fielder. And just imagine you're going into that final week end of the season. The other three Ron Say, Reggie Smith and Steve Garvey have their thirty home runs and you're gonna face JR. Richard on Sunday the final regular season game. And my favorite story from that, Reggie Smith actually called the Houston dugout in front of Dusty and said, let me talk to Jr. And he said, I'm gonna He's gonna do it against you, and Dusty's in the background going no, no, don't say that don't say that, And it all comes down to the final at bat, and Dusty remembers Tommy giving him the rob Ross speech, something about Moses and the partying into the Red Sea, and to be able to hit that home run on the last day as a kid, for me, I'm in middle school. I wanted him to do that so bad. And then afterwards for them to be able to all tip their caps and the first thirty home run quartet and now it's like Mount Rushmore. They were the first to do it, and Dodger fans in seventy seven will never forget that quartet.
Speaker 8: This might be the first time they've been together at the same place at the same time at Dodger Stadium in a while.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, and John Sue, who are a great team photographer who's been here forever, said he's never shot Dusty in a Dodger uniform because if you think of it, when Dusty left, When Dusty leaves in the mid eighties, only he goes to the Giants, he goes through the A's, he goes to the Reds and Cubs, and so this is a great homecoming. Dusty would always participate in pregame ceremonies if we had a bobblehead or things like that. But to be able to see Dusty in a Dodger uniform, it's a wonderful sight. But Dodger fans have to turn back the clock to the nineteen seventies and early eighties to actually see Johnny B in a Dodger uniform number twelve like his boyhood idol.
Speaker 8: Tommy Davis can't wait. It's gonna be a great alumni weekend. Mark Langel. We're so happy you're doing well. You're a treasure yourself to the Dodgers. Thanks a lot for the time, my.
Speaker 10: Pleasure, David, thank you. Always good to be with you.
Speaker 8: Oh there he goes the man, Mark Langel, still being able to charm all of us. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, thanks a lot, DV.
Speaker 2: Great to go back into Dodger history with Mark. Appreciate that Dodgers baseball. But to my Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at Shankys dot Com, leading you up to first pitch on this Wednesday night, Dodgers and fish Lea's up. Next, we'll time deeper into tonight's pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere to katesas Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers.
Speaker 5: On deck on your home for the Blue All season.
Speaker 2: Long Dodgers in Phillies final game is this three game sets Dodgers starting to get healthy just at the right time. Tonight's give the ball to Kevin Stone to try to turn things around. First pitch of seven.
Speaker 1: Ten and now before the Dodgers hit the dynack, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchup forrestent about your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail but dominating off roading dreams into a reality in the new twenty twenty four Tacoma.
Speaker 3: See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy.
Speaker 2: Tyler Phillips on the mound three and one with a four thirty nine ERA, twenty six year old right hander. Former sixteenth round pick of the Rangers in twenty fifteen, he was our Minor League Pitcher of the Year in twenty eighteen. He's now pitching for his hometown team. He grew up seven and a half miles away from Citizens Bank Park, just outside of Philadelphia, across the river in New Jersey, there was a sinker, a sweeper forcing fastball on the occasional Curveball made his major league debut this season, in fact, last month, making his fifth start, sixth appearance last time out, got roughed up by the Mariners and inning in two thirds, eight runs, five hits, including three home runs. Tonight's his first time facing the Dodgers. Gavin Stone on the Mountain nine and five with a three sixty three ERA. Twenty five year old right hitter making his twenty first start of this season. He tossed six plus innings in ten of his twenty starts this year. Last time out, four innings, five runs, eight hits, five strikeouts and a loss to the ace, so he's looking to bounce back after a really good first half of the season. He's making his second start against the Phillies this year, after delivering four and two third innings back on July tenth the Citizens Bank Park, where he took the loss after giving up four earned runs on nine hits. He's still looking for his first win against them. Zh to one and two career starts at eight thirty one ERRA. Gavin Stone, Tyler Phillips, Dodgers Phillies. We're fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game art next. I'm Tim Kass, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Phillies, Gavin Stone, Tyler Phillips. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at sevent ten on Sandy Kofa's Bobblehead Night. Gavin Stone oh in three with a seven to fifteen e erra, and this last five starts to turn that around with a three seventy five opponents batting average. Dodger fans and Hancher listening experienced by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD to all powered by LA Care Health Plans serving all Angelinos lacare dot Org. All right, before first pitch, let's head back out to the bill. Stephen Nelson Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Guys, Thank you, Tim. Dodgers and Phillies' final game of this three game series. The Dodgers have an off day on Thursday before or the other Pennsylvania team comes to town, the Pirates this weekend. Gavin Stone starting tonight Rick Monday. He's nine to five with a three six three ERA. Those season numbers really strong for the rookie Gavin Stone. He has been terrific this year, but the last month has been really difficult.
Speaker 6: Well, they've been difficult, and they've been difficult early on. When you look in at the ban first of all, first batter of an inning hitting at three thirty six, that's the highest average of a starting pitcher in baseball. The other part, too, is first pitch of an advent, it's a four to ten batting average. Is there a pattern that he has fallen into that maybe people are paying attention to. Don't really know the answer to that. If you look at the Dodgers, they have one complete game. However, in the positive standpoint, who's that from, Well that was Gavin Stone had the complete game. To shut out one thing about it. He's not afraid to pitch, and we'll find out if that change up is working with perfection. First of all, he throws out a high percentage of time. And then if we look at the Phillies, they have some guys that don't particularly handle the change up well right at the stop. Right at the time I should say is that Schwarber trade Turner and Bryce Harper along with Nick Castianos. There's four guys in their lineup diffrom time to time. That change up is a little bit strange for them.
Speaker 4: The Phillies got the stone in Philadelphia, there were some tough defense behind Gavin. To be fair to him, in that start at Citizens Bank Park. He'll try to get him back here tonight and they'll have they go Rojas behind him back at short. First game for Mickey Row since July the twenty, first activated off the injured list today, Dodgers and Phillies three of three. When we talk to you.
Speaker 2: Next, all right, Dodgers going to play it now with a three and a half game of lead over the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have won their fourth in a row eight of ten. The Padres meanwhile taking on the Pirates. They're in the bottom half of the ninth and eight at P and C Park in Pittsburgh. The Pirates have the bases loaded and a chance to get a walk off win with the game tied six to six and one out. That can help out the Dodgers because the Padres four games back. But hey, Dodgers need to take care of business. Keep winning and it'll take care of itself. Dodgers Phillies, Gavin Stone on the mount when we come back. First pitch is next. I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.