Speaker 1: A Cast Classics. The Witness follows Joseph O'Callahan, who provided testimony that helped convict two drug dealing gangsters for murder, making him the youngest person to ever enter the Witness Protection program in Ireland. Now he tells his extraordinary life story for the first time.
Speaker 2: Tell him to stand up now and get in the Witness box and give edm so I didn't do it, So that's why I'm standing here.
Speaker 1: Find out more about The Witness and other A cast classics at acast dot com Forward Slash Classics.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Where Did the Road Go? Be sure to check us out online at www dot Where didthroad Go dot com. Now enjoy this edition of the Midweek podcast.
Speaker 4: And welcome to this midweek podcast for Where Did the Road Go? And this one's a little different than anything we've done before. I've mentioned this before that I was going to put this up as a midweek podcast and I'm finally getting around to doing that. This was recorded back in November eighteenth of twenty fourteen with Aaron Gulliess and Devo Spice and Devo is a comedy rap artist.
Speaker 5: Now don't let that scare you away.
Speaker 4: If you're not a fan of rap, because he's actually quite interesting. You can understand him. He's clever, he's a geek.
Speaker 5: And we spend the.
Speaker 4: Next hour and a half basically talking about Doctor Who and hearing a few songs from Devo's Doctor Who tribute album. So if you're a Doctor Who fan, you're probably going to enjoy this. If you're not well, you might want to skip this one and go to the next interview. So I may do occasional things like this where I think there's some crossover with fictional material or things like Doctor Who. We'll see your feedback. Let me know what you think, if you liked it, disliked it, whatever.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I posted it to the Facebook page when we initially aired it on the last Exit for the Lost, and I got a pretty good response. So now I'm going to share it with everyone else. All Right, I've said, here we go, Aaron Gullias, Devo Spice on Doctor Who. All right, so I'm talking with Devo Spice and Aaron Gullias as we discuss Doctor Who. And Aaron, why don't you tell people you're what you've done in book wise with Doctor Who?
Speaker 6: Okay, I've written a small small, sort of very manageable, almost sort of I like to think of it as sort of thick fanzine sort of sized thing called Infandom's Shadow, and it's sort of a fanography, fan biography of the my changing feelings about Doctor Who from when I started watching it and through sort of the historical changes that took the show, especially through the sort of horrible nineties period when there was nothing on TV except for Paul McGahn for about, you know, seventy five minutes more scholarly and professional stuff. I've written a chapter about differing fan reaction to the nineteen ninety six Paul McGann movie and Rose, the first episode of the two thousand and five revitalized series in a scholarly collection called Doctor Who in Time and Space, edited by Gillian Leech, And I've just got a chapter getting ready to go into another book edited by Gillian and another scholar named Sherry Jin on Doctor Who Companions in Doctor Who Companions in print, I guess is the best way to summarize it. Both companions who are created for the original novels during the nineteen nineties and how traditional television can companions had their characters changed altered and expanded on in the print world as opposed to the television world. So that's a few conference presentations and some things like that.
Speaker 4: All right, and Devo, you've obviously a big fan. You wrote an entire concept album about Doctor.
Speaker 7: I did for the people who may not know me. I do comedy rap. I build myself as the red headed step son of weird Al Yankovic and eminem And when the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who came along, I was like, I really want to do something with this. So I decided to put out a Doctor Who concept album. And what I did was I did one song per incarnation of the Doctor up through Matt Smith, and then the title track, I Am the Doctor, and I put that out last year, or actually technically earlier this year. Was supposed to be out for the fiftieth. I didn't quite make it, so I was out in early twenty fourteen, so I was a couple months late.
Speaker 5: And you actually have some companions on this.
Speaker 8: Don't I have a doctor on there too? Really?
Speaker 7: I I have Peter Davison on the on the fifth Doctor song, he appears at the at the very end. And I have Katie Manning who played Joe Grant opposite the third Doctor, and I have Sophie Aldred who played Ace opposite the seventh Doctor.
Speaker 5: Nice, all right, and this you've done other doctor whose songs before this, haven't you?
Speaker 7: Just one I did when the show came actually right before the show came back, I did a song called Welcome Back Doctor, which was a parody of a song called welcome Back by Master Ace. I think not master Ace, master P, one of those Master rappers, I don't know. And it was a kind of a failed experiment because the the thing was that was supposed to be master P's big comeback anthem, and I heard it on the radio and they were hyping it like crazy, and I was like, all right, I got a parody of this song.
Speaker 8: It's going to be huge. And it bombed. It went nowhere.
Speaker 7: So the parody, as as a pair already, kind of fell flat. And then what he did was he sampled the welcome Back Cotter theme and he had he had like a children's chorus sing it. So now I have to try to recreate this sound, and I got in touch with a local children's chorus, the Sussex County Children's Chorus here in New Jersey and they they agreed to sing on the song, and then they found out it was a rap album and they wanted nothing to do with it, and they pulled out at the last minute. So I ended up hijacking my boss's kids, who were like six and eight at the time, to sing on the song. And neither of them could sing. So the song was just a hodgepodge of comedy of errors. But I put it out and it came out okay. But when when the show came back proper, I decided to do the what became the title track of the album, I Am the Doctor, because I needed I needed a better song than Welcome Back Doctor, so and then that led to the concept album.
Speaker 5: All right, so let's let's start with Aaron. How did you originally get into Doctor Who?
Speaker 6: Okay, it's it's it's kind of weird. I had this sort of weird proto Doctor Who experience. And I don't even remember what year it was or how old I was, but I think I was probably around ten or eleven, and I was I was watching TV and it was a Sunday afternoon and I was flipping through channels, you know, all four of them that we had and I saw some green slime oozing out of something and a bunch of ape men running around, and it was I know now that it was Inferno, you know, the pert Wee story from season seven, But all I knew at the time was there was this green slime and volcanoes and guys were running around, and I thought it was pretty cool. And our PBS station I apparently showed it in its complete, un you know, un chopped up completely sort of movie format, which, if listeners know, Inferno was a seven episode story in the old system, which means it was about two hours and forty five minutes. And I just sort of sat there and this took my whole after noon, and finally my parents said, look, we got to eat supper. You got to turn this thing off. And I'm like, but, but there's eight men in green slime. So I had no idea what this show was until I saw it later and had this kind of flashback. I guess as far as actual sort of week to week, I can't miss this show. It was probably January of nineteen ninety one and I was looking at the TV listenings and the little summary said doctor who, the Doctor and Ace visit a Victorian mansion where aliens in the cellar plot to kill Queen Victoria. And it was ghost light and that's like the worst description of ghost light I can imagine it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was thinking, that doesn't sound like ghost light.
Speaker 6: It's like so I was like, well, this sounds like something I need to be watching. So I watched it and it was. It was great. I couldn't understand more than about half of what Sylvester McCoy said, and I thought Sophie Aldred was gorgeous. So I watched the next week and we after that and it was it was just it was there's something that just drew me to it because it was and this is what Doctor Who does best, and when Doctor whoever veers from this, it goes wrong. It was a different show every week. You did not know what kind of story this was going to be. It went from Victorian England to Curs of Fenrick was World War Two, and then Survival was this sort of modern day suburban London thing. And then the week after Survival they recycled back to the John Purty stories and I was I don't think I've ever been that confused by television in my entire life that one week. It was, you know, basically the same level of visual quality that I'd been watching on I was already watching Red Dwarfs, so late eighties British science fiction visual quality made sense to me. And then we were back in Spearhead from Space, and then the next two stories were only in black and white. At that point the color prints weren't around yet, and and it was so that sent me off to, hey, kids, if you're listening, this is what we used to have to do. I went to the library and tried to find books and I found some. Some the really bad ones were these sort of giant you guys might remember, these, these encyclopedic like encyclical encyclopedic encyclopedias of science fiction television, and there'd be like three lines about Doctor Who and it only went up to like Tom Baker, which really confused me. But what really got me into it as much as watching the show was I discovered that the library where I lived had probably thirty or forty of the target novelizations. So I was able to get those and read those. And I discovered a place out of Chicago that would that had like every back issue of Doctor Who magazine so I'd save up my money and mail in, had my mom write at check and I'd mail in my order and I'd get a couple Doctor Who magazines back whenever I had the money. So I very quickly found that I really liked the show show, but I also liked learning about the history of the show. So I was The bad thing about it is because of when our station broadcast Doctor Who at that point, which was Saturday nights. I switched my my youthful TV allegiance from Twin Peaks to Doctor Who, and I sort of missed out on most of Twin Peaks because of that, but I think it was a worthwhile trade.
Speaker 5: Well, you can always catch up now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. I heard the Blu ray is incredible so.
Speaker 5: And they're bringing it back.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so so Tom Devo, how did you get into the Doctor.
Speaker 7: Slightly similar story. I was actually I remember I was. I was sitting and my father's recliner flipping through the TV guide because before the Internet, we had this magazine that came out every week that would tell you what was on television. And I happened to check out the grid listing and it said on the PBS at seven o'clock Doctor Who, and I just glanced past it and I didn't think anything of it.
Speaker 8: And I'm flipping.
Speaker 7: I go, I'll see what's on tomorrow night, and I get to I I'm looking through the thing seven o'clock Doctor Who, and I'm like, what the hell is this Doctor Who? So my father happened to walk in. I'm like, Dad, have you ever heard of Doctor Who? And he goes, no, what's that. I'm like, I have no idea, but it's like on every night and he goes, all right, whatever. Well, unbeknownst to me, he went upstairs and watched it, and then he came back down at seven thirty and he was all he was visibly excited, and he goes, Tom, did you watch Doctor Who? And I'm like, no, should I have?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 5: Thinking?
Speaker 7: I know, I'm like ten years old, thinking I was in trouble, you know. I was like, yeah, what, what's what? What about it? He's like, I don't understand. But there's a guy with a scarf, and there's monsters and aliens, and there's a blue box and it's a time machine and it's bigger on the inside.
Speaker 8: Just watch it.
Speaker 7: So the next night we watched you know, we watched the next part of that episode because my PBA station serialized it throughout the week, so every day at seven o'clock we got another twenty minute episode, and we were pretty much hooked ever since. And then so I start looking. I looked further in the TV guide and I saw that, oh, on on Saturday night, they're showing two hours of Doctor Who. I'm like, maybe they'll showing a whole story. Cool, well that was a John Pertwee story. Now, we had been watching Tom Baker. Now all of a sudden, it's John Pertwee as the doctor. My father and I looked at each other. We're like, what the hell's happening here? Because it's black and white, there's completely different people. There's the Tartist. The Tartist is still there, so it's definitely the same show. But we were like, well, maybe this is like like a James Bond thing where they just you know, switch actors out now and then and don't ever talk about it. But eventually we saw Tom Baker regenerate into Peter Davison and and and then we were like, oh okay. And then when the twentieth anniversary of the show came along, my father picked up one of those big Doctor Who encyclopedias. It was like, I think it was called twenty Years of Time and Space or something like that, and it had like the history of the show up through then, and it had like a list of all the episodes. And that was how I discovered that a lot of the episodes of the old show were missing, because you know, it listed all the episodes and it said episodes two, three, five, and seven missing, and I'm like, what do you mean missing?
Speaker 8: Missing?
Speaker 7: So that's how I got into Doctor Who, and I've kind of been hooked ever since.
Speaker 5: And You've written a song about those missing episodes that you did a video.
Speaker 8: I did write a song about those missing episodes, So.
Speaker 4: Maybe we should hear that now it's called lost in Time and the video is found on YouTube. Is all right, so let's hear that.
Speaker 10: We know the domas mass to plan, but can they destroy the Doctor BESSI and the BBC can because the beeaceless ones at the top decided to erase all the tapes and clean shot the Mocker. Terror was no match for the fury from the deep recesses of the BBC, who decided to reuse the tapes at a staggery, pace revolving around like a wheel and space.
Speaker 9: The evasion on the Yachives was a pitio to me.
Speaker 10: It feels like.
Speaker 9: They erased my wedding.
Speaker 6: Giddy.
Speaker 10: Oh now I'm grabbed in a weapon fear that they may never reappear and I'll have missed Deborah Watman's career. The band boys around the crusade to try to find them, and they won't stop until every story is behind them. It's going They're returning ground jewels to the throne. It's admission to the unknownst time I met Deborah Watling at a con once fuss before I had ever seen a single episode with Victoria oh S.
Speaker 8: Talk about awkward dinner.
Speaker 9: Conversation Baha time.
Speaker 10: The savage is at the BBC didn't want us to see what their team myth makers had undertake. If they were mistake, the episode was worth forsaken and their reign of terror was unshaken. Now, what's up to the smugglers to try to bring them back and complete the collection? In my rack, I need to fill in the gap. But my favorite show, but they could be on a moon biggest for all we know? Will they ever again be shown?
Speaker 9: Men?
Speaker 10: I don't know, men harder to find, and the abominable Snowmen.
Speaker 9: Hopefully we may see them all once more in the future.
Speaker 10: While I play Mario Gallin's four The Highlanders fought a whole war in the Kilts. I want to know how to do that on a family show. And I like the way Patrick Trumper frolics when he faces the evil of the Daleks hosted Time Marco paused Time Marko.
Speaker 6: Paws.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry, I can't find you guys anywhere I get Boss.
Speaker 9: Now, the show is a hit, So what are we gonna do with it right away? What we're through with it?
Speaker 6: Else to do?
Speaker 9: Since the show was no longer new. The Advantagers too.
Speaker 10: It's a popular show, but now the episodes have to go there doesn't need to know.
Speaker 6: Perhaps this was a mistake.
Speaker 9: She happened to find an old dook to who episodes?
Speaker 3: Please return it to the BBC.
Speaker 10: I'm out every Christmas, I asked the Celestial Toy Maker.
Speaker 9: Can you blame me for new episodes?
Speaker 10: But Zoey Janey, I keep hoping the Space Pirates will bring them all back so I can see the Underwater Minutes attack, the wiping of the taste was worse than the massacurb scene for thousand yus and a curson that it has occurred in even the power of the dialects couldn't stop it, and now we can't even photoshop it. Scientists have actually found a real tenth planet somehow that was easier, but out on understanding they'll probably find real heightst Warriors too. Before We're Missing, Doctor Who Lost Time ninety seven episodes of Doctor Who Are Missing? Was twenty six stories are missing or incomplete wasted till the.
Speaker 9: World is never going to lose us episode of Honey Boo Boo BOSSI bosting Time.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: That was Lost in Time from Devo Spice Office Doctor Who. Uh, what's the name of the album I Am the Doctor?
Speaker 8: I Am the Doctor?
Speaker 5: Yes, And it has a great great hologrand cover.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a a lenticular print cover where I tried to simulate the the opening of the show with you know, traveling through the time tunnel, and so it's a three three image scene with the I have this Doctor Who Devo Spice parody logo, so you see that logo and then you see my face and then it says I am the Doctor. So you move it back and forth. It kind of looks like the opening of the show and it's really cool.
Speaker 5: So why are there lost episodes?
Speaker 7: Well, the BBC at the time had was on a very very tight budget and apparently videotape is extremely expensive, and so what they would do is they would record the show, Eric make copies for all the stations that syndicated the show, and then they re used the tape. And to make matters worse, when they sent copies to the to the other stations around the world, they were sent with explicit instructions to like destroy the tape after the show airs. So the fact that we've gotten any of these episodes back is kind of a miracle because they're not supposed to exist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and one of the things that that I didn't know about the reason why there's there's missing episodes, all that's that's absolutely the way it was. One thing I learned by reading tat Wood and Lawrence Miles's series of guide books, the About Time series. I don't know if you're familiar with them. It examines every story in the context of British culture and politics at the time, which is just it's like thousands of pages, but one of the reasons why they felt like they didn't have any reason to keep this stuff around. It was the cost of the videotape, that's absolutely true, and it was also the fact that the agreement with the with the Actors' unions, the screen actors Unions in Britain, meant that up until the late nineteen seventies early nineteen eighties, I believe there was no actual legal way the BBC could broadcast reruns outside of the season in which the episodes were shown, or there was some sort of regulation like that. And there's also just within the Doctor Who production office for a very long time, a complete sort of sort of forbiddenness to showing or really making much mention of the show outside of whoever the current Doctor was. So you might have reruns from that season happened, but there was never any sort of idea that we would go back and see, you know, previous things. I think the first time they did that was after Logopolis, when Baker regenerated into Davison. There was a very very long break before the Peter Davison stories started up, almost a year, like a full calendar year or so, and so they had this event called the Five Faces of Doctor Who, where they broadcast a story from each one of the doctors. They kind of cheated because their Davison entry was the two seconds of Davison at the end of Logopolis, which is really kind of a ripoff. But he hadn't really done anything yet. And if you look at what was available in nineteen eighty one for them to show, it's just it's just kind of kind of sad. I'm trying to remember it was. They had to be had to be four episode stories, so that left out a lot of good stuff. So I think they showed Unearthly Child, which just makes sense. For Trouton, I think that it was the Crotons, So if you've seen the Crotons, oh my gosh, oh god, the quarks, Oh my god, the quarks.
Speaker 8: But that was the practical Robots ever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but but it was the only it was the only four part trout And story that existed at the time. Two of the Cybermen wouldn't be found for decades, and then rob was more than four mind Robber was five episodes, and so was the Dominators. Couldn't squeeze that in, so they that wouldn't work. And and for pert We I think it was Carnival of Monsters, which is awesome. And uh, because if they used the Day of the Daleks, they I think they probably would have had to pay Terry Nation money or something. Yeah, and nobody wants to see Death of the Daleks anyway because it sucks. But and then for for Baker, I think I think Logopolis was their Baker entry to and out of all the Baker stories, why pick anyone from any of that season when you've got you know, Pyramans of Mars right there. But but yeah, so that was so there's there's sort of weird obscure union rules about why they just didn't think they'd need these episodes. And of course, you know, home video players didn't exist either, So.
Speaker 7: That's what I was just gonna mention. They The other thing that the other reasoning behind this thing that I heard was that once the BBC aired the show and sent it off to syndication, there was no other way for them to make money on that episode ever again until home video came along, and then all of a sudden they were like, wait a minute, we can make money again. And then all of a sudden they started trying to get the episodes back and it's been a mad scramble ever since.
Speaker 6: And even that was this convoluted bureaucratic nightmare because they had to create you know, BBC Worldwide, which was the commercial arm of the BBC, because the BBC, as a public broadcaster, wasn't allowed to make money, so they had to set up a separate corporation to exploit BBC properties in order to make money. And as a result of this, all the money that doctor Who made through merchandising, videotape, sales, books, all of it just went back into the general BBC budget, which is why no matter how much money Doctor Who made for the BBC, their budgets always just sort of got smaller.
Speaker 9: Yeah, which is just I was wondering about that.
Speaker 7: That makes sense, Yep, it's yeah, It's all socialism's fault.
Speaker 4: So how come we have any old doctor who if they were told, if they normally erased them and were told to destroy.
Speaker 7: Them, pure luck, a lot of the stations just forgot to throw them out, and so you know, every so often they'll come across a stash of them. Sometimes they were illegally sold to private collectors. But I believe Tom of the Cybermen was found in possession of a private collector.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it was in Hong Kong, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: It was somewhere somewhere in Age. I was trying to remember whether it was Japan or where. But I heard a story. I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard stories that when the BBC heard that they had found tomb of the Cybermen, they sent a BBC representative over there with a briefcase that was handcuffed to his arm to bring back.
Speaker 5: So did the BBC have any of them?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, Uh. There were some episodes that were kept as for for various reasons. Unearthly Child the first story was kept because it was the first one. There were others. I can't remember all of the ones that were kept, but there were some that were kept. If if an episode used some sort of innovative production technique or had something kind of unique about it, it would it would generally be held onto Uh. Producers could could designate stories or episodes that they wanted to to be saved as a product as a you know, evidence of of stuff they'd done. Same thing with directors if they wanted footage for you know, uh, you know, a promo reel or for like a resume or something. I think from what I've read, if this is accurate, that's the only reason we the only reason we have the web Planet is because those costumes and the bizarre set and on all of the weird chore choreography and the web planet that Artnell's story it was. It was strange enough that it was kept as as sort of reference material for the first time. Some of this stuff was.
Speaker 7: Done so so there were there were exceptions to the to the junk everything rule. But that's why we have some episodes of some stories and not complete stories. In a lot of cases, we don't need all, you know, six episodes of whatever, because you know, episode three has the footage that we need for our archival purposes.
Speaker 5: M All right, let's hear something else from your from your CD okay evo, Why don't you pick? What song? Shall we hear?
Speaker 7: Oh, let's do the Regeneration just because it has an awesome cameo by Sophie Aldred and she was so great to work with.
Speaker 5: Did you did you just contact her to see if she was interesting? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I contacted a lot of people from Doctor Who and to just you know to try to.
Speaker 9: Okay, let me let me get back up a little bit. I was booked to.
Speaker 7: Perform at a convention in twenty twelve where Sylvester McCoy was going to be a guest, and the convention emailed me and said, hey, Sylvester, me and one of the other musicians performing and said, hey, Sylvester wants to do something with you guys during opening ceremonies. And I'm like, a doctor wants to perform with me?
Speaker 9: Twist my arm?
Speaker 8: Why don't you? Okay?
Speaker 7: So I was like, so I emailed. I emailed the the con and I was like, hey, do you think we can record whatever we're doing and then I could use it on my album because then I'd have a doctor on my album and it would be amazing. And they ran that past Sylvester and he was fine with it, and then unfortunately he had to cancel the last minute, so he canceled. Peter Davison replaced him. So that's how I managed to get Peter Davison on the album because I was performing at this convention where Peter Davison was and so I when they announced the subsetitution, I contacted the con again and I'm like, hey, can you talk to Peter see if we can arrange something for the show. Well, they talked to him five minutes before opening ceremonies and we were going on stage, so I don't know whether they he felt backed into a corner or not, but he agreed to do it, so I have the recording. Then once I got him on the song, it was easier to approach other people. I also have a brief history with Katie Manning because I performed at a convention where she was the MC and she remembered me because she introduced me as doctor Demento once rather than saying I was on Doctor Demento, so she remembered that. And then once I got her, I just started contacting other people. And I did get turned down by several of the actors. A couple I was never able to contact. But Sophie Aldred, you know, I approached her through her her voice acting agent, and she loved the whole concept for what I was doing and the song and everything, and she was she was fanta, absolutely fantastic to work with.
Speaker 5: All Right, Well, here's the regeneration from Devo Space.
Speaker 9: But there's a new dance craze.
Speaker 10: That affects your ways, and when you do what you'll be feeling the effects for dat.
Speaker 9: But it ain't does really nothing to it.
Speaker 10: Just listen to my murder saying you can learn to do it and be a whole new person.
Speaker 9: Trust me.
Speaker 10: Now, have I ever led you astray? It's really easy to do if you're from yallop right. If not, well, let me take a little precice.
Speaker 9: But don't panic yet. Let me tell you what the act is.
Speaker 10: First you have to get hurt, like a like attacked by the ronnie or perhaps.
Speaker 3: He got shot.
Speaker 9: Then you stepped to the left, staggertude the right, throw your head back.
Speaker 10: And from up a yellow light, come up with something witty if you can, and such.
Speaker 9: You try not to freak out. You're compaying your tune.
Speaker 10: Wuck you do with the news dance sweeping the nation and everybody do the regeneration. But once you're all done, you should be a whole man or woman or China or whatever you can. Then you'll have another lifetime to hot as that sounds, so you can try and not to screw it up the seventh time around. There means more time to find people to assist, more time to find the hand of Omiga or never assist. More time to wonder where you left your Parki's last, and more time to torment your young friend about her pass. You can learn to do it if you think you can, like if you need to hide from your uncle wink.
Speaker 9: Again, or if you got it crazy.
Speaker 10: Yes, it won't give you a long stree arranger DNA and change a number on your phone.
Speaker 9: Do it one time. I guarantee you'll be amazed.
Speaker 10: Turn your hands to the side and act like you're being tensed.
Speaker 9: It's the hot news dance Crazy to sweeping the nation. Everybody knew the regeneration.
Speaker 1: I love this new dance, professor, But I have.
Speaker 9: A question, Yes, what does it? Is it safe? Well, of course it's safe. Whatever do you mean, Well, you know with my backpack? Ah, of course? Well you know, if I were you, I would remove the nitrobe.
Speaker 1: I had a feeling you were going to say that.
Speaker 10: Some people can't do it, but they want a new life, so they cheat the way you would go one to the night sharing Michael Jackman could possibly look weird or now there's.
Speaker 9: No way that we can say the cheerleader almos.
Speaker 6: How to do it?
Speaker 10: So does hate to stand back because she's likely to blow up the whole place where.
Speaker 9: She can give the demonstration. I'm gonna show you how it's done.
Speaker 10: So get on the dance floor and tell yourself a new one in and out as whirl around and around, grab your chest.
Speaker 9: Like red bus and make a wheezing sound.
Speaker 10: The heat on your body temperature to fife on the Telvin and you can cheat pet with. I'm resorting to a Melvin. It'll beat you up with such a school touch. What your fashion says probably won't improve much in the hot new Dan trees and sweep in the nation. Everybody the regeneration.
Speaker 8: All right, So.
Speaker 1: A Cast Classics. The Witness follows Joseph O'Callahan, who provided testimony that helped convict two drug dealing gangsters for murder, making him the youngest person to ever enter the Witness Protection program in Ireland. Now he tells his extraordinary life story for the first time.
Speaker 2: Tell him to stand up now and get in the witness box and give evidence. So I didn't do it, So that's why I'm standing here.
Speaker 1: Find out more about The Witness and other A Cast classics at acast dot com. Forward Slash Classics.
Speaker 5: What happened to Doctor Who? When did it go off the air? Originally, there's there's a couple of different stories. Let me let me tell my the story that I remember. Okay, in oh, I want to say nineteen eighty five or eighty six, the show was quote unquote canceled. This was when Colin Baker was the Doctor and the BBC just just said, Okay, that's it, We're done, no more Doctor Who. And there was an amazing outpouring from the fans. They got tons and tons of letters, you know, demanding that the show will be brought back. And the BBC after some time backpedaled and they said, okay, no, no, no, no, we weren't. You didn't really cancel the show. We just kind of put it on hiatus. We want to make some changes to the show, keep it fresh, you know. And the only thing they changed was they fired Colin and they brought in Sylvester McCoy. Now I got that story directly from Colin Baker at a convention. I know that's not the official story of what happened, but that's the story I heard from Colin. And then eventually they they so they ran Sylvester for like three years, and then eventually they said, all right, enough of this.
Speaker 8: So, Aaron, what were you gonna say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's generally, that's generally the pattern from what I've from what I've read the eighty five eighty six hyat and cancelation, it was there were a number of factors. One was declining ratings. I think they were doing forty five minute episodes instead of twenty five that season.
Speaker 7: And the first the time the Trial of a Time Lord. So yeah, a season long story arc that people just couldn't keep up with.
Speaker 6: Right, And so that was Colin's second season, and that was after the hiatus, So they have his first full regular season, the hiatus, and then Trial of a Time Lord, which was, you know, just it. It was a season long story that was actually for individual stories unless you looked at it funny, and then it was one story except when they said it wasn't. But his first season, for example, I don't know the figures off the top of my head, but the two episodes of Attack of the Cybermen, which was the first the first season story. In that season, he'd regenerated into Colin Baker in Caves Vanderzani, which was actually the last story of the previous season, which was weird, and so the ratings dropped almost in half between the first episode of Attack of the Cybermen and the second episode of Attack of the Cybermen, and it never it never came back really from that point, and so ratings were part of it. The show had become a little more violent, a lot less humorous, and the BBC higher ups didn't like that. But one of the big reasons was money. They asked Doctor Who and then said, oh, wait, no, no, it's just temporary. It's it's just we're resting it. But they canceled quite a few shows because they needed money to start up a new daytime broadcasting initiative. So basically, from what I understand it, and I'm no accountant, what they sort of did was they kind of moved Doctor Who to a different part of the fiscal year budgeting process and cut the number of episodes to just fourteen fourteen twenty five minute episodes. And it was that way for Trial of a Time Lord and all of McCoy's stories. And then after McCoy's three years, they really didn't know what to do with it. They'd put it on Monday nights, thinking nobody watches Coronation Street and Doctor Who. Coronation Street was this, you know, very popular soap opera, and actually that's not entirely true. Demographically, there were lots of people who watched both, but now they had to choose, and they chose the soap opera. And then there was another thing going through the BBC at the time that was sort of a Margaret Thatchery Conservative Britain sort of thing, which was the BBC being required to outsource a certain percentage of their programming. So the BBC was looking for ways to offload programs onto other production companies and they assumed that's what was going to happen with Doctor Who, but they weren't sure they wanted to do it. And then if you were paying attention in the nineties to some of this stuff, you see lots of references to a Doctor Who film being made. Dudley Moore is going to be the doctor. David Hasselhoff is going to be the doctor.
Speaker 9: Oh god, I know who who is?
Speaker 6: Another one? Uh, Elliott Gould is going to be the doctor. You know, they had all these all these stories and the BBC for a while was like, well, if the movie's going to get made. Let's hold off on TV so we aren't competing with the Films Unit. And there were just all of these different things that kept them kept putting off bringing it back until they just said, well, now it's been too long, we can't bring it back. So it it just sort of it just sort of fizzled out. The Doctor Who production office kept running, the producer kept coming in, the staff kept coming in for about a year after that last season, until the BBC said, you can all just stay home because we don't know, we aren't really sure what we're doing.
Speaker 3: With us yet.
Speaker 6: So it wasn't like a big, massive climactic finale or anything. It was just it just didn't come back one.
Speaker 5: Year and then they did do the one movie.
Speaker 8: Oh, yeah, they did, And what was the story with that?
Speaker 7: Okay, have you seen the Michael Bay Transformers film. Yes, that's kind of what happened to Doctor Who.
Speaker 6: The only thing I can say about the ninety six TV movie with the Pert Wee logo and Paul McGannon is that it could have been much much worse. Sure, most of the yeah, most of the original plans were to completely reboot it, with the Doctor and the Master being Brothers and the whole series if it got picked up for a series, the whole series revolving around the Doctor rebelling from Time Lord society to go and look for his lost father, whose name was Ulysses. Yes, that's right, and that it was that Daleks were going to have been created by Davrose, who was a ad Time Lord scientist, and it was it was a mess. Everything was all Joseph Campbell Hero's quest stuff, which doesn't work in Doctor Who because the Doctor Who is the wise figure. He's not the young man. He's that's the thing. And if everyone wants to redo Doctor Who in the nineties as this sort of star wars like heroes quest, and they keep thinking the doctors Luke Skywalker, but the doctor's Obi wan Kenobi. Yeah, and they never really picked up on that. So the fact that we got an actual you know, in series regeneration from Doctor six, Doctor seven, I mean yeah, Doctor seven to Doctor Aid, the fact that we got the Master, albeit Eric Roberts. You know, it could have been worse, but it could have been a lot better. At least we got Paul McGann out of it, who was great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I kind of I don't want to say blamed him, but I kind I had kind of written him off because of that.
Speaker 8: That made for TV movie that they did, which I didn't.
Speaker 7: Hate, but I didn't really like it either, and I went back and rewatched it when I put out my concept album just because I had to write a song for the Eighth Doctor and that's the only thing that exists. So but when for the fiftieth anniversary, when they brought back mcgah for what was that The Night of the Doctor? That little short that was fantastic it was, and I thought, Wow, this guy was he really was given, you know, the short straw for his story, because I mean, he could have done it. He could have been a fantastic doctor. And I've heard good things about his the audiobooks that he's done, but I haven't listened to any of them.
Speaker 6: I've listened to a couple and it's just not I guess I'm just that type of drama just doesn't really play well. The biggest thing is when am I going to listen to this? I mean, I don't have time to just sit down for ninety minutes and listen to something I used to have, like a I used to commute two hours a day in my car, and I listened to a lot of stuff then, and that's when I listened to a lot of them. But now I commute like twenty five minutes a day.
Speaker 8: It's two and a half hours.
Speaker 6: So yeah, oh well, there there you go, pick up some big finish audios and and run through eighty thousand Paul McGann stories. Yeah, I thought he was I thought he was good in the TV movie. I like the TV movie less every time I watch it. I loved it when it came out. I loved the the interior of the tartist that that this sort of wood gothic tartist. I thought that was gorgeous. I thought Paul McGann was was a good doctor. And uh and it's just the the plot was nonsensical, and from what I understand, a lot of that was because it went through so many drafts and it was written by a committee. Basically.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that happens all the time, especially with americanizing anything or updating and rebooting anything, you know. I mean, look what's happening with the Wonder Woman movie. That's ever gonna happen?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, Yeah, it's it's just a nightmare. And and it came out in ways that were really really frustrating in that movie, because I'm sure you and the listeners who've seen it remember the whole I'm half human thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, which I still have blocked out of my brain and refused to accept.
Speaker 6: And the only reason it's in there and I didn't really I I read more about Doctor Who than actual Doctor Whose stuff. I love the behind the scenes production history things. And that was a script left over from one of the earlier versions where the doctor was going to look for his lost father because his father, his father had married an earth woman and that was the doctor's mother, and so this was a plot point in a previous version, but it was so sloppily done that they just kept it in for some reason.
Speaker 8: It makes sense, Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 6: It was just it was, And from what I understand, it was filmed very very quickly. I mean, by the time they got a script, they didn't have much time and to get everybody's schedules lined up. It was. It was a rush job. It had a big budget, but it was it was. It was a rush And then the ratings in the States were not what it needed to go to a series, which is probably a good thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's for the best. I would definitely say.
Speaker 6: Otherwise we wouldn't be talking here. Doctor Who. Would be you know, three guys in a goldfish in their basement talking about that weird old show, and it wouldn't be It wouldn't be a phenomenon where I can go to a mall in the American Midwest and go to Fye or any other music store and there's an entire section of Doctor Who merchandise. Yeah, I just I never thought i'd see the day.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, I remember the days, you know, where I'd go to a convention like you know, Icon in Long Island was my first convention, and that started as a dedicated Doctor Who convention, and by the nineties there was hardly any Doctor Who material there because the show had been off the air and there was there was nothing for them to do, and it was really depressing.
Speaker 6: Apart from from videotapes, which were few and far between in the States. I used to get really jealous reading Doctor Who magazine and all of these you know, videotapes that were coming out every month of stuff that my PBS station didn't show because they didn't show they usually didn't show the black and white stuff because I guess fewer people watched it so so Heartnell and Trouton. I had to wait a long time to see a lot of that. But they were expensive, like twenty bucks for a four episode story on this horrible VHS, and I actually thought about I was trying to save up my money to get a a p Al TV and video player so I could buy tapes from Britain to watch them. Before I realized that was incredibly stupid, but it was the biggest thing that they had going were the New Adventures, the original novels, which which I loved. I always tell people and say, well, who's your doctor, And I say Sylvester McCoy from the novels, because that's my air of the show. That's when there was that was the new Doctor Who that was being produced and when I was a young fan, and and so I read. I've read just about all of them. Then sold the Money Bay for gas money when I was in grad school and have slowly and expensively been trying to rebuild my collection. Occasionally I'll get to one of the half priced books chains, and I was at one in Indianapolis back in October and they had about fifty new adventures just on the shelf, and they're selling them for three bucks apiece. And I was like, I wish I could remember which ones I owned. Oh, screw it, I'll just buy them all, you know. I come home and my wife's like, how's the conference? And I was like, look at all these Doctor Who books I bought. It's like, why are we sending you to these things? But I'm like doctor Who books, So they're yeah, they're by the by the end of the nineties, it was just it was it was a wasteline.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, let's hear you saying us from your CD. Pick another one, Divo.
Speaker 7: Pick another one. We're probably leading into discussing the serious. So why don't we do Bad Wolf, which is my nice Doctor song, which features my daughter who was nine at the time of the recording, singing.
Speaker 4: Nice All right, So this is Deevo Spice with Bad Wolf office CD entitled I Am the Doctor, Big Bad Wolf, Big.
Speaker 11: Bad Wolf than Bank Bad Wolf, Make Damn Wolf.
Speaker 9: Were ay men, young men, you get over here, I mean word sick. While you've been off god.
Speaker 10: Knows where in some distant time enjoying alien you, Oh you've been fighting a time more.
Speaker 9: I'm I like the excuse. I've been stuck here. You know where time goes straight and while I've had to wait.
Speaker 10: Let me tell you things weren't great. There was nothing on TV but that maybe no surprise. Oh I had to watch Trek Star, Trek Enterprise, Good Bore you left mehind was annoying and substantial. There wasn't a show Fox couldn't wait to cancel, and no woman's videos on MTV. I'll tell you, man, the Golf channel ain't tempting me.
Speaker 6: I'll blame you.
Speaker 9: If you didn't lead me, I never would have had to battle with reality TV. It said we all had to hear.
Speaker 10: William hung sing and somehow, thanks to you, now Snookie is a thing.
Speaker 11: Bank pad Wolf make pampoof. Thank bank Padwolf. I wasn't take pampoof.
Speaker 10: I see that you still can't quite control it right. Returning goes a bull year after a twelve hour flight. If you can't return a guest to her time at herbie haest for her saying maybe you should go retake your driving test. You always did want to grab the tartans by the rains and control it like a child with the parent, great Danes, and it calls you great painties.
Speaker 9: Do you all of her creation? They won't, exactly, making for an ideal vacation. So what's the story. You're the last of your kind, the.
Speaker 10: Doggs are gone, the time lords are cold fine, and a time lock warn other than the main time stream. One question, what does that even mean? I deserve a better explanation than that. I defended the show. Remember rending attacks after nine hundred years, it should be me you were thanking. Remember you were not too old for a spanking.
Speaker 11: Bang bad woof bank bam wooing bam wood.
Speaker 5: Bad wolf.
Speaker 9: You didn't call, you didn't write.
Speaker 10: During all that time, I didn't know if you were dead or didn't become a street mind. Now know what what was going on really was the hardest, But I said, you had time to remodel the tartest. Oh my god, it wasn't a crappy movie for box, a half hearted attempt for our two hardest docks.
Speaker 9: It was nothing like the story's that events.
Speaker 10: So glorious from here to Racks at Morico fallipatorious.
Speaker 9: During that time, we couldn't find any mentions.
Speaker 10: There was almost nothing Doctor who related at conventions, but pap was still gathered rather than letting doctor the four of forty on the curp of episodes gone by.
Speaker 9: But now the whole depends.
Speaker 10: Anonymous meeting in the drunk, he says, run the brown of the sun has returned and depends.
Speaker 9: Can hardly wait to see the dollars attack. I can't tell you how great it feels to have your back.
Speaker 11: I'm make Pampoof Bank, Pampoof Bank, Pampoof make pampoof Bank, Pampoof Bank, pampoof.
Speaker 3: Bank.
Speaker 11: Bam Wolf, thank Bank, pampoof.
Speaker 4: All right, that was Devo Spice with bad Wolf and the artwork on this. You have a lot of drawings you did inside of it as you were, I assume growing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when I was a kid, I am an artist. I'm a classically trained illustrator, have a degree in illustration and whatnot. And but when I was a kid, I did, like I want to say, it was all in one night, but it may not have been. I did all of these portraits of like the first five doctors, because that's all there were at the time. And then I did, you know, I did the Master, and I did a dollc and then I did the Brigadier. And so then we started going to these conventions and some of these actors started showing up. So I actually have, you know, the drawing of John Pertwie that I did when I was ten years old is autographed by John Pertwi and I have the you know, the drawing of the Brigadier is autographed by the Brigadier. And you know, so it's one part of me is like, God, I could do so much better drawing now, But at the same time, I'll never have an autographed if I do a better drawing now.
Speaker 5: So all right, and before we get into the new series, back when it first started, weren't there a couple of movies that stood outside of the series as well.
Speaker 7: Yes, with Peter Cushing as the Doctor excuse me, with Peter Cushing as Doctor Who, the only time the characters ever introduced himself as Doctor Who.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those were weird, very weird.
Speaker 6: They were. They were good, I mean, one of them. The first one was was sort of a cinematic remake of the first doll Like serial, and the second one was a sort of similar remake of doll Like Invasion of Earth. But they were they were very strange. They're fun but uh, but they don't quite they don't quite fit anywhere.
Speaker 5: If it was a human doctor in it, he was just human.
Speaker 7: Susan I think was still his granddaughter, but there was something else, like like Ian was her brother or something.
Speaker 6: What it was was at least in the in the first one. In the first one, there it was it was it was you know, you know, silly old doctor who the inventor who invents the tartis and he has he has two granddaughters, Barbara and Susan.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 6: In was Barbara's boyfriend who ends up and then in the in Dollac Invasion Earth, it's uh, it's a forget the character's name, Tom, he's a cop and it's it's Bernard Cribbens. It's uh, it's uh, it's Donna Nobles grandpa. So so he's in uh, he's he's got the the distinction, if you want to call it, that of of having been in both. But if any of any of you guys out there remember Mystery Science Theater three thousand, the some of the guys from that are doing this riff tracks company now and they they've done the Mystery Science Theater riffing treatment on the two Peter Cushing movies and you can buy them at their side and they're they're pretty funny. There's there's lots of weird sort of fanish in jokes that that kind of surprised me. So so those are pretty funny. But yeah, those sort of existed outside of Doctor Who reality.
Speaker 5: Now did Did the BBC have anything to do with them?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 6: Not production wise, apart from apart from licensing. Apart from from licensing, the licensing the stuff. They saw it as a as a way to a way to to make some money and get some exposure for the series it was and of course, Uh, Terry Nation saw it as a chance to launch the Dollecs, especially in America. Uh. He spent most of the sixties trying to launch something in America, a Daleks only TV show, a TV show about dolls and humans who were fighting the dolls. Basically clinging to that little bit of you know, intellectual property he'd managed to hang on to.
Speaker 7: And we should mention, uh, copyright works a little different in the UK. When you write an episode of Doctor Who, if you invent a monster, you own that monster as you as the writer, own the rights to that monster and the BBC cannot use it again unless they license it from you. So Terry Nation owns the dolls and always will as far as I understand. So every time there's a dollar episode on TV, him or his estate gets you know whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's and it's changed a little bit since then. They've got some agreements where where writers sort of assign the rights to the BBC as one of the conditions of working there. But it was the same thing with Mervyn Haysman and Henry Lincoln when they created the Great Intelligence and the Yetti for those trouting stories. And also also they got money for every time the every time, the uh, every time the Brigadier showed up for a really long time because he was in the Web of Fear, which was the a story written written by those guys. And also Derek Sherwin, who was the producer in the nineteen sixties, claims he invented unit and should be getting money for that, and it keeps threatening to take the BBC to court. There's an interview in the last issue of Doctor Who magazine with him where he gets really angry about it, and his recollection of events doesn't match up with almost anything I've ever written or read. So it's really weird. I think there's some borderline slander in there against some other production people. But but yeah, in general, the way it worked was yeah, yeah, Terry Nation owned the Daleks, and ray Cusick, who designed what the doles looked like, gets nothing because he was a BBC staff employee working in the special effects department, so his work on it was just, you know, part of his job. He doesn't have any ownership Terry Nation, who wrote the story and had the origin for it, but visually didn't. You know, there were some notes about what they might look like that ended up. I think that they move like Russian dancers, is what he said, or something like that. And so he's like, well, you know, I invented the whole thing, and the guy who actually, you.
Speaker 8: Know Russian dance I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know it's but but but he's held on to that, and his estate is held onto that, and they still get his estates still gets to say in how the dialects are used, so they have like they can say, no, we don't like that, they aren't looking strong enough, we don't like that characterization, this plot's dumb something like that. So it's uh, he has a lot of power.
Speaker 5: Interesting, all right, So how did this new series come about?
Speaker 7: The only thing I heard about how you probably know more about it than I do, Aaron, But the only the way I heard it come about was I had heard that somebody knew came into the BBC and decided that Doctor Who needed to come back, and that was pretty much all I heard. And I was like, Okay, well, if the BBC wants Doctor Who back, maybe Doctor Who will actually come back. And I got all excited.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Lorraine Hegessy became the head of Drama or head of series or something like that, and she wanted two things and one of them was Doctor Who and the other was Russell T. Davies writing a series or two or three for the BBC because he was doing really good business with some of the non BBC networks in Britain, and one of his conditions for working for the BBC, from what I've read, was he wanted to do Doctor Who, and he'd come up with something a few years before that ended up going nowhere, sort of a low budget relaunch of Doctor Who, which would have sort of taken place on a quiet suburban street and a child gets to know this old man who's lost his memory, who's the doctor at the end of the street, And so it would start out that way, and actually, that sounds kind.
Speaker 8: Of very cool and that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 6: But whether or not that would have grabbed the attention of the public like what we got is hard to understand. But they brought it back, and they he brought it back in a way that was the most Undoctor Who on BBC nineteen nineties, early two thousands way to do it. Everybody expected that if Doctor Who came back, it would be on like nine PM on a Friday, in one of the quote cult TV slots for science fiction shows. And Dave said, no, Doctor Who comes back. It has to come back like it was when it was popular, not like it was when it was canceled. It has to come back as something the entire family in the entire country sits down and watches on a Saturday evening. And everybody told him that's stupid. We watch reality shows on Saturdays. There's no such thing as family TV viewing anymore. We're all busted up into these little demographics. And he said, no, we can do this, and so they decided to go with this and find an excellent actor and an actress who was excellent but nobody thought she would be. She was sort of amicus.
Speaker 7: I was so afraid of what why No was gonna be because when when they announced the casting, then you know, they announced Christopherglsson as a doctor and the only thing I knew him from was twenty eight days later, and I was like, okay, sure. And then I was at a convention and somebody had described Billy Piper to me as England's version of Britney Spears yep, yep, And I went, oh, dear God, no, yeah, because all I was picturing was like the doctor fighting in sync, you know, right, and and and she just she ended up being just incredible. Yeah, she was amazing and and it was it was really really good. And the ratings came in for that for that premiere episode and they far exceeded what they thought they would get, and then the ratings kept up the whole the whole season.
Speaker 4: It was it was incredible, and it won people over on on this side of the Atlantic as well pretty quickly. Yeah, And I think that was probably the biggest surprise.
Speaker 5: It was to me.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know, I don't know if I don't know if you guys remember, but there was a lot of question at the time about whether or not it would even air in the United States they or or when it would air, because they had a hard time figuring out where this was going to be because BBC America wasn't really up and running yet, and where when it was running, you know, there were a lot of cable systems that didn't have it, or it was a premium channel sort of on the you know, the second or third tier. So they they I think the first season, the first it was on Sci Fi Channel, and I remember being being terrified we weren't going to see it. So when the first episode when Rose leaked out onto the internet a couple of weeks before the premiere, I think the Statute of Limitations is up. I I downloaded that sucker.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, so I still had burned it on me Too, Me Too v CD format or something like that. Yeah, And I know, no I had I had a DVD player that would play divocs files, so I burned the devics file to it too.
Speaker 6: It does, but but yeah, I was I was like, there's no way I'm not watching this now. I will say I did not try to find the leaked episodes of the most recent series that came out. I did not check those out, but but it was tempting. It's a little tempting, mostly because I love Peter Capaldi and other stuff. So I was really excited.
Speaker 4: And what do you think of the new doctors? Have they held up to the old doctors? Are they better than the old doctors?
Speaker 6: I think it depends on which one you're talking about. I think this is this is just my opinion. I loved Christopher Eckleston. I really liked David Tennant until the point where I got tired of David Tennant. I was okay with Matt Smith until the fiftieth anniversary special when I was reminded of just how good David Tenant was. And I love Peter Capaldi. I think I think Peter Capaldi is my favorite news series doctor, and it'd always been Ecleston, but but Peter Capaldi is really good. I think.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm kind kind of in the same boat.
Speaker 7: I thought Eckleston was fantastic as the doctor, absolutely amazing, and I was really upset that we only got one season out of Down. Yeah, I really liked David Tennant. He's probably my favorite of the new season the new series.
Speaker 9: Matt Smith.
Speaker 5: I like him as the doctor.
Speaker 7: I don't have anything against him, but I thought he I always thought he was too young for the role and he was too frantic. He just he comes in and he talks really really fast, and he babbles a lot, and he waves his sonic screwdriver around like a magic wand and then he runs away, and I was like, dude, first of all, stand up straight. You're gonna give yourself a bad back if you keep standing like that. And second, slow down, breathe. You know so, But you know that leads into my my song I Am the Doctor, because I intentionally did that song really fast, kind of making fun of the way Matt Smith plays a.
Speaker 8: Little so.
Speaker 9: And now Capaldi I like. I like him as the actor.
Speaker 8: I've been.
Speaker 7: Somewhat disappointed with the writing of this season because he's doing a lot of things that are Undoctor like or out of character, and it kind of takes me out of the series. But I think it It did get better towards the end, and I do think that it's going to be good going forward. I just hope the ratings can continue, you know, to survive it.
Speaker 6: I read somewhere that the BBC America ratings are almost thirty percent higher on average this season than previous season. Oh really, so that's that's very good. There's an interview with Stephen Moffatt where he mentioned something about that and that the British ratings that if you calculate people who watch online on the BBC Eye Player, the ratings, the overall viewing figures have not changed. The way the ratings are calculated is a little bit more confusing now because of time shifting and all of that. But he didn't sound worried, of course, you know, he wouldn't write. But I think I don't see it. I don't see it going away. I do well.
Speaker 9: I'm not worried about it being canceled at any time soon.
Speaker 6: But I'm always worried about it being canceled. It's doctor who I you know, it was an institution for twenty six years and then it just wasn't there. We can't take anything for granted. We must be constantly anxious. I think one of the things I liked about this last season is I liked the difference in the in the characterization with The Doctor. I liked the harder edge. I liked the undoctorness because if you look back at William Hartnell, he was completely undoctor like in the way that we've come to come to see the Doctor. One thing I really liked about this season is that I was able to follow what was going on. There were little threads being placed here and there, and I could follow them. And during the Matt Smith years, I just got frustrated.
Speaker 8: It was those storylines were so confusing.
Speaker 6: It was just so I'm still not sure what the hell the silence are about, and I don't.
Speaker 7: Care, and I I'm rewatching the show with my kids and I'm like, there's no way my kids are following what's going on here because I don't know what the hell's going on most of the time.
Speaker 6: It delved into science fiction TV territory, and it's that sort of thing that drove away viewers in the eighties, was that these constant continuity references and trying to have to keep up and the idea that if you if you sit down, if a viewer sits down and watches something and they don't know what's going on there, I can keep watching and I worried about the series running into that. I like what they did with Clara this season. I think they made her into an actual character and not just a plot device like she was in the run up to the fiftieth anniversary or the the oh what was it? The the finale Impossible Girl thing where she went back through time and saved the Doctor. I liked that that they I won. I liked that they kept Clara because I think she's great, and two I liked that they actually made something out of her. But I thought this season was was good. There were a few clunkers. I thought Time Heist was lousy.
Speaker 7: See I enjoyed Time Heist. The one I thought was lousy was Robot of Sherwood. I like kind of a divisive, divisive episode. I know, I know some some of my friends absolutely loved that episode. I sat there watching it with like the snarl on my face, going, what the hell am I watching?
Speaker 6: I liked it for the I liked it for that the Doctor Robin dialogue, I think that's.
Speaker 9: Exactly what I didn't like.
Speaker 7: I didn't like that they were trying to the Doctor was trying to show off to Clara that he is you know, the more important of the two or whatever. That's one of the things for me that was very undoctor like. That's not something the Doctor would do.
Speaker 8: In my opinion, it seems to me.
Speaker 5: It seems to me like this doctor is trying to find his bearings through this season, Like he's been through so much that he's almost like they're intentionally making him undoctor like as he tries to find out who he is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think this I'm not no spoilers here, but the series, the season finale answered some of those questions and we sort of got a resolution to that am I a good man?
Speaker 5: Question?
Speaker 6: He asks in the first episode. I think my favorite episode of the whole season was probably Listen. I thought that was very atmospheric and creepy and strange, and I I just loved the notion of and we saw some of this this season. What's the Doctor doing when he's alone? I mean, what's really going through this guy's head? And I think they went as far as they could with that without making the Doctor, you know, understandable, which which he really shouldn't be in some cases. Uh, he he is an alien. But I thought this season was good. But I also liked the the second half of the last season the Okay, I'll be honest, I liked that. Once Amy and Rory were going, I was just really tired of them. But the the the eleventh Doctor Clara half season was I loved the Ice Warriors episode in Cyberman. Episode was really good.
Speaker 8: It was fun.
Speaker 4: Well, let's hear one more. Well, let's hear one another song from your CD and will come back and conclude this. So what should we play next?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: I don't know what do you want?
Speaker 6: Paul?
Speaker 7: Won't you play the title track? We just finished talking about Matt Smith, So play, uh, play the I Am the Doctor title track?
Speaker 8: All right, So.
Speaker 5: Here's I Am the Doctor from Divo Spice.
Speaker 9: Hello, I'm the Doctor, just the Doctor, and this is my crew. How do you do? I'm just a mad men with the box, big new box, foxy and sexy. If you only knew. Yes, it's a big him on the EGS.
Speaker 6: Side, ask Kevin.
Speaker 9: Jacket's a great ride back.
Speaker 12: In his mind, I reside in the Todd's almost with a herd isn't likely to six and I.
Speaker 9: Can see you through time. I have been to the end of the universe and back again.
Speaker 12: There's reverse calls on you arrived back when we started in the todd it's just the people come look me. They'd like to try to bring him back alive. So if you want to come and get your things, let' think you this guy's things, tell your pump at your ringer on the set, a lot of the things that show you. As I get to know, you wouldn't wait for me, because that never runs. Well, I am the doctor.
Speaker 9: I am the doctor. Don't answer me. This are you and my mummy? No, of course you're not.
Speaker 12: But with a spot on your hands, I guess I always talk this fast all my child.
Speaker 9: It doesn't matter. I'm the only one who really understands.
Speaker 12: Because you have not a big head of very big head of very large head with a very big brain. And if you look deep into my eyes, the're very old guys. You might even see some little guys at the ring. That's what I do to survive on the day that I died, because it's what is inside the chase. I wonder if you missed it at one point, I know who existed and still make the wedding un announced. I've stopped ailing in and evens in the ends of everything, and I barely even should be up. So if you think it cross at me your loss, it will be I'm the doctor.
Speaker 6: Look me up.
Speaker 9: I am the doctor. I am the doctor. Are the things I've seen.
Speaker 4: Break?
Speaker 9: Your skin turned green like a silurian.
Speaker 10: I've seen angels move, and if you think you've seen one, don't look away or even blink.
Speaker 9: I've seen a dallek sun bathaast.
Speaker 12: I've seen a cracks every year and any plumber could produce.
Speaker 9: I've seen vampires that were actually scary. You know, they didn't sparkle like a dancing fairy.
Speaker 12: I've seen cat people in scentient trees, and I've seen the silence. But oh geez, I forget, But what are we talking about?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 9: I want a boat tie?
Speaker 12: Now both ties are cool, but oh, by whatever happened to my fast? I know I tend to die run as out of the heart. But if you want to make it.
Speaker 9: Out alive, to know the what the doctor says? Why is everyone going on about my name?
Speaker 12: Relitially look concertained about the people made of plastic? Happened while I rose by any other name? It's still be the mad mom can still be fantastic.
Speaker 9: That's what my life is like. Beside a medislin Tarma's that you in the head of this month.
Speaker 12: Shure those dangerous strife, for there's a marm of this life, and you can mine a love beside me if you want to tell me?
Speaker 9: Now, where do you want to go from here? I'm about a level of the planet where we won't get injured.
Speaker 8: I I had a thought.
Speaker 9: I think they ought and let's do those mice play as a doctor.
Speaker 12: So I could be a ginger. I've always wanted to be a ginger. I am the doctor. I am the Doctor. I am the doctor.
Speaker 13: I am.
Speaker 4: And that was I Am the Doctor from Devo Spice off his latest CD, which is entitled I Believe I Am the Doctor.
Speaker 5: So Diva. Where can people get the CD? Ah?
Speaker 7: You can get it at my website, devospice dot com, or you can get it from band camp at divospice dot band camp dot com. It's also up on The Pump the Funny Music Project at t H G f U m P dot com, The Fump dot com. It's not hard to find. It's on iTunes, it's on Amazon, it's on I think it's on Spotify.
Speaker 8: It's everywhere.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, and Aaron where can people get your books?
Speaker 6: Easiest place where I have all sorts of links to everything is my website, aj Gullias. That's a j g u l y a s dot com. And if you you type Aaron Gulls into Amazon, all my uh all my stuff will come up there as well.
Speaker 4: Now do you think with this new series that they're they're kind of struggling to stay family oriented while appeasing an older audience as well.
Speaker 7: Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me, so I I don't I don't know. I haven't heard anything from behind the scenes that they're trying to uh you know, they're they're struggling with that. The the show always seemed to to, you know, be family approachable, if not always family friendly. I mean, my when the show came back, my my daughter, who was like two and a half at the time, walked into the room during the what was the name of that episode, the one with Giles from Buffy and the big bat.
Speaker 8: Creatures and the oh school reunion school reunion.
Speaker 7: So she, my two and a half year old daughter, walks into the room while the giant bats are running down the side of the walls and and she just kind of froze and freaked out. So you know, it's not always perfect for all ages, but it's my kids are watching it now and loving it. I mean, my youngest who is just just turned seven now, he was really scared of the silence every time they were on screen. He like turning his hit his eyes, which is understandable. Those things are kind of creepy.
Speaker 5: But I don't I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't know that they're having a problem with it.
Speaker 9: Have you heard it or have you heard something?
Speaker 5: Well, I've seen a few articles talking about how maybe Doctor Who Is getting too scary for younger viewers.
Speaker 6: Which I find interesting because if you if you read interviews with with people who've been involved in making it, even you know, back in the eighties, the thing everybody sort of remembers about Doctor Who Is is how awesome it was to be to be scared by it when they were kids. Yeah, it's always scared children. That that's sort of part of its thing. Russell T. Davies I read an interview with him once and he said that that one of the things that was missing from that first season when he brought back the Doctor was something scary until Steven Moffatt came in with the empty child with the little gas mask. Are you my mummy? Oh god, yeah, And then then he realized, oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot how how good scary this could be for little kids. So I think it's I think if they come under criticism for it, falling back on the old this is what Doctor who has always done is good. I did read that they got some complaints and the BBC actually issued a statement about the first half of the season finale about the sort of what happens after you die and you still feel pain stuff. They they did get some complaints about that, but uh, the production office uh pointed out that that the Doctor clearly you know, denounced that as being you know, not real and not true. So I don't know. I I guess they sort of had to defend their their sort of existential presentation of the nature of death, which is.
Speaker 8: Just it's funny, where people will complain about, yeah.
Speaker 6: It's uh it is. But I think as long as it's aimed at a family audience, they're going to have to walk the line of being scary and suspenseful without being you know, sort of walking dead levels of of horror.
Speaker 7: And they can probably get away with that because I heard an interview with an author some time ago who writes horror stories aimed at children, and he does some really scary, horrific things with monsters and demons and stuff, and he says the lot he said, the line for him was if it can be real, he won't do it. So right, vampire, werewolves, demons, monsters, those are all fair game. Some kid shooting up a school is not something he will write about, even though that could be ten times scarier, he will not write that because it's it could really happen. So exactly if doctor who stays along those same lines, you know, a kid with a gas mask as part of his face is not it's scary, but it's not something that will ever really happen.
Speaker 6: That's exactly right. And in the seventies when the show got in trouble with the National Viewers and Listeners Association in Britain, what got the producer, Philip Pinchcliff in the most trouble out of anything was not you know, the Hideous Creatures and the Brain of Morbius or or anything like that. It was that scene in The Deadly Assassin, which we can't see now because they edited it after the first broadcast and that clip doesn't exist. The cliffhanger is the doctor being drowned. And that was that was too much because, like you said, that's real, that's you know, you're showing, you're showing. You're not hitting somebody with a laser or dropping a clearly styrofoam rock on their head. You know, it was Tom Baker underwater being held down. And that's that's too far. And I think that's that's that's a good a good line to draw.
Speaker 4: And we were talking earlier about him being like the Obi Wan type of character. But I also think there's a lot of trickster.
Speaker 5: Into the doctor. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I mean that that that seems to really be more he's more the trickster than the wise man at times.
Speaker 6: It depends, it depends on the incarnation. I I think. I think with your with your William Hartnell and your John Pertley clearly clearly a sort of wise man, with your Patrick Trouton, you're Tom Baker, they're Sylvester McCoy. Definitely a lot of a lot of sort of sort of mythic trickster.
Speaker 3: Stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, aspects, Yeah, and I think TenneT fell into that category nicely.
Speaker 8: Too, a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 7: That's one thing I always liked about Trouton's doctor was that he pretended he wasn't the smartest person in the room, and he would he would let the people he was up against kind of you know, make their mistakes, and he would you know, capitalize on that.
Speaker 8: It was great.
Speaker 4: And they all seem to do that to some degree. They all hold that that sort of thing going. I mean even even the latest doctor. Uh, you know, even though he's acting like he doesn't know what's going on, he clearly does to some degree.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, and and when that and that can go too far the other way too. I mean some of the Sylvester McCoy stories where it gets to the end and it turns out that the doctor has been manipulating everything all along, and ha ha ha. You know, it once is interesting, two or three times it gets annoying. When when it happens two or three times a season, then it's like, oh, wow, yes, it was a secret time lord weapon that you manipulated in your enemy into using on himself. Okay, we saw this two weeks ago, but uh but yeah, I mean it's it's very much that I don't gosh, I don't miss say Judo, but sort of redirecting the enemy's force in a way that uh, that that hurts the enemy. I think that's something the Doctor's character does very well.
Speaker 5: What do you think made this this reboot take off like it did.
Speaker 7: Oh, there was definitely pent up demand. You know, a lot of the old time Doctor Who fans were clamoring for it. That plus the fact that they did it right. You know, they didn't give us another you know Paul McGahn made for TV movie where that was kind of half asked. You know, they they went all out and they did it right, and they they put out a damn fine product.
Speaker 6: I think one of the aspects of making that damn fine product, and I think for me, the biggest difference from the Paul McGann movie is that you can sit down show somebody that episode Rose Who has never even heard of Doctor Who before, and it's a fun, compelling piece of television. Yeah, there's no reference to anything that had come before. You don't need to know anything about Doctor Who. And you're not going to make a successful show aiming it at the people who were fans of it when it was canceled in the case of the McGann movie seven years before, and that McGann movie had so many little little references to stuff that didn't even matter. Oh, here's a shot of Tom Baker's scarf, and we spend fifteen seconds looking at the scarf for no reason other than that it's Tom Baker's scarf. You know, Rose didn't do any thing like that. And that whole first season what you just learn little bits and pieces about the Doctor and the Doalecs, and you start off with one dollc and you're shown what it can do. So then in the finale, when you've got a thousand of them, you're really freaked out, even if you don't know anything about about the about the Daleks, I mean, longtime hardcore fans were, you know, sort of geeking out about the fact that the dalec saucers looked like just like the ones in the comic strip back in the sixties. Everybody else is just like, Wow, that thing that was really scary in Utah six weeks ago is now, you know, back and massive. I think they aimed it at a television audience. With the aim they created a good show that didn't require thirty years of fan lore to understand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, fair enough, fair enough, all right?
Speaker 5: What is like when you think Doctor Who? What comes to mind to you?
Speaker 8: My entire life?
Speaker 7: I mean, I've been watching the show for literally over thirty years now, and it's it's just it's been something that's been part of a big part of my life since I was ten years old, give or take.
Speaker 6: All, Right, Aaron, I share that. I share that sentiment. It's it's something I mean, I can I can go you know, six months without watching any Doctor Who, but then sometimes the urgial hit and I will just bring down my my my stack of DVDs from the room where I keep my DVDs and just sort of stack them up and say to the family, I'm watching Doctor Who today, and it's just like I'm watching all of Heartnell's second season, so get out if you don't want to see it. I'm watching The Romans now, and you know. So it's just it's just something that's always there, and it's something that's that's very very nostalgic for me. I mean, I can, you know, remember talking about these stories with with you know, friends and everything, and and you know, it's it's been. It's been part of my life and maybe an unhealthily large part of my life sometimes, but but it's always been there. And now I'm you know, I wrote chapters and scholarly books with people who study these things for a living, and what am I doing. I'm writing about Doctor Who, just like I always wanted to do when I was in high school and college and and now I've been able to so you know, it's it's it's great. And I'm sure I'm sure you you you know, you feel the same way. You're able to to use your creative, you know, talents in a way that that feeds on this show that you've loved for so long, and it's a it's an amazing thing to be able to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that the concept album was really a labor of love, and it was something that I needed to do, whether or not any of my fans wanted to buy it.
Speaker 4: And the thing about Doctor Who, too, is it stands out from everything else on television. It's not like other sci fi, it's not like anything else that's ever been done in the entire time time that it's run right, and that that's one hell of an accomplishment.
Speaker 6: It is when I think of Doctor Who. It's it's endless variety. It's not a ship show. It's not just an alien invasion show. It's not just science fiction. It's it's anything it wants to be. And I hope that the production team remembers that that they don't need to pigeonhole the series into one particular thing. It can do anything in the universe.
Speaker 5: Fair enough, all right, one more time? Where can people find your stuff?
Speaker 6: Let's start with Aaron Ajgullies dot com. That's a J g U l y a s dot com.
Speaker 5: And you you have a you have one book out, you've published a Doctor Who.
Speaker 6: Yes, and some chapters coming up in well, one chapter that's out and another one that, depending on the vagaries of publishing and the editors, will be out sometime between now and the end of time.
Speaker 4: And you also have a couple other books that we've had you on Where did the Road Go before? Yeah, talk about your latest book, The Chaos Conundrum, And you have another one before that on the contact team.
Speaker 6: On the contact Ease. And I am just now putting the finishing touches. Maybe maybe tonight if I gain ambitious on a new book. I'm sending off to my editor at Roman and Littlefield on conspiracy and paranormal themed television science fiction in the nineties and its relation to the wider paranormal conspiracy theory culture at the time. So, man, I've been watching a lot of terrible TV the last year, terrible stuff like and go on Dark Skies. I had to sit down and watch Dark Skies again. And that was that about killing.
Speaker 5: Devo.
Speaker 7: Your stuff is available where I am at devospice dot com. I'm on the fump at the fump dot com. All my stuff is on band camp at devospice dot bandcamp dot com. I do want to mention I have a new album coming out on December second called Herp Dirp You Don't Stirp. There won't be any Doctor Who material on it, but it will be a full album of comedy rap. And I'm doing a band camp rush on December second. So if you if you buy the album on band camp on December second, twenty fourteen, in case anyone's listening in the far future, then I'll give you a bonus album, another complete album, absolutely free called Irme gird Burners Tricks.
Speaker 6: So that's a great annunciation on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well that's how it's spelled, you know, yes, and that's d E v O s p I C E correct spice.
Speaker 5: All right, well, I thank both of you. This has been fascinating. And uh, what should we end with off your CD?
Speaker 9: Let's see we already played the do a Fandom Paradise my Tom Baker song.
Speaker 5: Okay, and uh, I guess that's it.
Speaker 8: Thank you both, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 10: I've been watching the show since before I could talk, and the more I've been watched, the more the doctor would rock.
Speaker 5: I even heard. My first word was.
Speaker 10: Extirnment nate, and I had a British accent until I was eight. Now I'm all grown and I'm out on my own, and I got a car Loan, So about it. I'm owned, but I've got my own home. Man, I've checked it out right like a time lord. Aboard my own Tartis and flight. I'll start my tad in a way that nothing can go wrong. Alarm Clock's rocking out my own theme song. I watched my body and hair, then I put it on a pair, put my tailor made swing Gallifreyan underwear.
Speaker 9: People come to visit and ask is it Halloween or a dream? And I'm always like what you mean.
Speaker 10: I'm creating a scene with the doctor and Sarah squaring off against me androids of terra Verry dies.
Speaker 6: This is factor.
Speaker 9: I'm Terry Dies.
Speaker 13: I look around the same it's the first of adviser is Terry Down, Fairy down.
Speaker 6: This is fact.
Speaker 9: I'm Terry Dies. It's right, no expensive and the craft for my ear this is Paris.
Speaker 10: I've painted the door of my bathroom bright blue while invite you with youre a fan, to walk right through.
Speaker 9: It looks like the targets.
Speaker 10: And I don't mean to boast, but my toilet is being around the inside than most.
Speaker 9: I travel around town a pretty girl by my side.
Speaker 10: She's my very young companion along for the ride through very scary scenarios. She's lucky she survives as we car a pull to work. Sometimes she even drives. The morning isn't bad. The rushower is the hardest, my hardest said, I've won. Take computing in the tartest. I could totally fly in. I'm sure the console isn't any more complex. In my remote control. When I get to work, I'm in my own little world. My cubicola is decoration with the time total swirls. But I'm suspicious of my boss because he's foreign, short stocking and balls.
Speaker 8: I think he might be some tar.
Speaker 13: Hairry dnes this is fat and I'm Terry d I look around the same.
Speaker 9: It's the first of her eyes.
Speaker 6: That is very.
Speaker 5: Fairy.
Speaker 9: This is fact, Terry dies. It's right now expensive, no crap from my keea.
Speaker 5: This is fair.
Speaker 9: My girlfriend says it stinks and she thinks it's a disaster.
Speaker 10: She bopped the tar to toilet, and she balked when I asked her to knit me a really long scarf.
Speaker 9: It was no use, but you know what she said.
Speaker 10: She wouldn't it me a long news. She won't watch without a bunch of tequila, and she flat out and refused to dress up like Lela, singing she wants no part of my nerdy perversion. I can't wait till she regenerates him to a new aversion. My kitchen looks like the creature from the pit escaped. I saw when pepper shakers are dil like shape, and you skillfully exterminate the planets from my food. But my coffee making robot has a bad attitude. I bring in lots of fan fiction. Featured ring me along with every I'm paying you in a creature work three. I assume I hope the film one of the scripts I paided with Mary Tam, who is a very close personal friend. She just doesn't know it yet. I got that as my dad attacks when I run, so I like to make my lungs go. I named my dog cane Ie, and he could run a lot faster. I just can't get him to talk or call me master. I perform Richie will to try to raise crawl. I figure, go bigger, don't do it at all, because if you're gonna be nerd, he might as well do it right now.
Speaker 9: Everybody went chiang tonight. Very dies.
Speaker 13: This is fandom. Terry dies. I look around and say, nice, it's the first of her eyes. That is Perry dies, Parodi. This is factum Terry dies. It's right now, expensive pay.
Speaker 9: He ain't no craft for my kear.
Speaker 13: This is Paradi. Very dies.
Speaker 5: This is fandom.
Speaker 9: Terry dies. I'm dealt with giant grass once or twice, but they won't bother me.
Speaker 13: This is Parry dies.
Speaker 9: Parry dies.
Speaker 6: This is fato.
Speaker 9: Piry dies. And that made give you some good advice, killed you up a little corner of.
Speaker 10: Okay, So I was thinking maybe we could redecorate the dining room so the table looks like the tartest console, and we can make a chandelier that looks like the center of the console and make it go up and down when you're in the lights with John, What do you think?
Speaker 6: I think I just came up with a new place I can shove your sonic screwdriver get over.
Speaker 9: No wait, no, no wait wait