Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: AH, glorious Monday night here in southern California. Thanks for being with us on this June make that June twenty third. Yes, I want to make sure we are still here in the month of June. This baseball season is flying by. As the Dodgers off tonight, they'll start a six game road trip tomorrow in Colorado as they start a three game series with the last place Colorado Rockies. That it's off to Kansas City for a three game weekend set against the Royals, who are also under five hundred and sitting in the middle of the pack in the Al Central. I'm here with you for the next hour. Your phone calls are welcome at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy Jump on board. We got a lot to get to here over the next hour. Coming up at seven forty five, we're going to get you a farm report, the latest on the Dodgers' top minor league prospects from Triple A Oklahoma City all the way down to Rancho Cucamonga. Some names you heard and players you saw in spring training that were with the major league team, like host Swaye Depalla, Zaiar Hope, Alex Friedland, Jackson Ferris, and some of the young Dodger prospects who are just young pups eighteen nineteen year olds, Emil Morales, Kellen Lindsay, at War o'quintara, Nick Frosso, the veteran who is in Triple A Oklahoma City coming back off his shoulder surgery. I'm gonna get you an update on all the Dodgers' top minor league prospects in this twenty twenty five season, how they are doing here in late June, We're also going to get into Vegas getting baseball. It is taking another step forward here today in the seven to h two with Rob Manford in Las Vegas, with Oakland A's management in front office and ownership in attendance as well for a ground breaking ceremony at the new stadium that is being built in Las Vegas. We'll get into that. We'll hear from the commissioner coming up in just a little bit as well. But I want to get to your phone calls eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy A big topic yesterday on Dodger Talk carried over to AFI seventy LA Sports today with Rogan and Rodney Petrow some money talked about it the last few hours as well. Is position players pitching in games and has become a topic here in LA and in particular on your home of the Dodgers ANFI seventy LA Sports because of Key k Hernandez, and we've seen the Dodger utility player pitch an awful lot already this season. Key k Hernandez has already pitched in five games in twenty twenty five, more than any other time he's pitched in a season. Miguel Rojas has made an appearance we all loved when he was out there in personating pitchers on the mound when the Dodgers were getting blown out by the Cubs at a home game last month. But keithk a Hernandez has been pitching an awful lot now for this Dodgers team because the Dodgers have been in situations where they've been blowing out teams and in an instance down in San Diego last road trip, the Dodgers were getting beat up by the Padres, and so we saw key Y Hernandez pitch for almost three innings. And it's not necessarily an issue with what the Dodgers are doing because it's part of the game.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I just have an issue with position players in general pitching in a game, and that kind of kind of opened up a can of worms as far as talking about it. Why it's allowed. The changes that Major League Baseball made before the twenty twenty three season allowing position players to be pitching in games and setting rules to how they are able to come in and pitching games. It's been something that's been in baseball where blowouts are happening and it's late in a baseball game, and rather than use up one of your arms, a manager will go to his bench or go to his outfield and bring in a position player to pitch. And it's something that we've seen prevalent in the late twenty teams, the nearly twenty twenty and in twenty twenty two, it got so bad in Major League Baseball that they had to change the rules before the twenty twenty three season, and the rule was set forward on the new guidelines that a team had to be up by ten or more runs in the ninth inning in order to let a position player pitch while trailing teams. Teams that are getting beat up on and losing big can use a position player anytime it's down by eight or more runs. Position players are also allowed to pitch anytime at extra innings, So if you are up by ten or more runs, a position player can't come in until the ninth inning. If you're getting boat raced by eight or more runs, a position player can come in at any time during a game. Yesterday, in the ninth inning, we saw key K Hernandez come into the game with a thirteen to three lead over the Washington Nationals and Dave Roberts elected instead of bringing out another reliever. What we've seen four previous times this year is Dave Roberts call upon Key K a Hernandez to go out to the mound, and Key K has had a lot of fun out there. He's wearing the helmet for safety reasons even though he didn't work yesterday, But the last few ituends for Key Ky Hernandez, he's not getting the swing and missus he's not getting the hitters up there, just looking to get the game over with and maybe swinging the pitches and chasing and popping out or grounding out or getting that one strikeout that he got. Instead, they're taking pitches and the ones that aren't over the plate for strikes like batting practice pitches, they're crushing. He walked three batters yesterday, allowed four runs, and got one out while throwing thirty pitches. So all of a sudden, it's eight, thirteen to seven game. Now I get Alex Vesi Gampa sack fly that was accounted to Keige Hernandez. But in a thirteen to three game, when you need three final outs, why can't we just bring a reliever in yesterday? I would love to have seen lu Trevina go back out there and pitch the final three outs and get out of the game. He pitched the day before, he pitched yesterday eighteen pitches, probably not gonna pitched in the early part of this series in Colorado, and with the roster shuffling around, who knows if he'll be on the roster. They may bring up another arm. But Luke Trevino could have very easily gone back out there and got the final three outs. Ball game over. Dodgers still win by six, they still get the victory. Every happy leaving Dodger Stadium. That's great, but it just widens out to a bigger issue in my mind with position players pitching, and we get focused on it again because it's right in front of our eyes. We're hearing it in Dodger games. Five times already, Keik's pitch, Miguel Rojas pitch six times already this year in seventy nine games, have we seen a position player pitch for the Dodgers. And I'm just using the Dodgers an example. It's an issue in baseball. We're seeing blowouts and we're seeing position players pitch way earlier than the ninth inning teams getting boat raced. Just rave the white flag and call it a game. Now, there's some solutions to this, certainly, I'm gonna get into that in a second. But I'm not the only one that feels like, all right enough with the position players pitching. Here's a Hall of Famer on a recent podcast, John Smoltz from Fox well respected great baseball mind still part of the game today. Not an old timer out there just talking about their good old days. No, he is the lead analyst for Fox. He is relevant today. He's a Hall of Famer. Here he is on a podcast recently. He does not like position players pitching.
Speaker 4: I think it's the most embarrassing thing and anything you can do it is sport with the reality of all the smart people thinking pitching, bullpenning, both pending bullpenning. And we've had more position players pitch in baseball games than ever before, and what does that tell you? And it's been the most embarrassing thing I think there is. I think every once in a while you can think it's cute, the fan kind of get on it. But when we're having it at this alarming rate, I think Baseball needs to do something about it. I know they've made a rule and when you can use that person, but you know what, at some point, you know people keep talking about, well, let's just have a mercy rule. What are we doing? I don't know. I just don't think the penalty is good enough. I think it's just embarrassing. And that's what I won't change my thought. Why don't we have pictures that will blowout game, go up them instead of the hitters, like people would get all over that they would be like, this is ridiculous, and I can't think of another sport. You know, even in the NBA there's blowouts. He lose by forty, but it's not like they're they're bringing people in off the sands to play the finish out the games. So that part's always bothered me. And I know that that you know, a catch flack for that, but I just think it's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with him in the overarching game of baseball. I'm just not a fan of position players pitching. Here's Jose Mota yesterday, who is on part of the English and Spanish broadcast, of course, part of the great Motive family Manny Mota, his father Jose Motive player himself, joins us on the post game show after every game here on a FI seven of the La Sports. I was talking with him yesterday on the post game and asked him about position players pitching. Here's Jose Modi yesterday, the.
Speaker 5: Overora posision player thing. I'm not a big channel of sign and never i've been ever, and and I just it's it's a necessary thing now because when one guy does it or every team doesn't, I think some some it's the truth. I mean, go back and look at Hunter, Alberto. How many times did you pitch? I mean, and they have got Albert Poole's pitch and Rizzo pitch and yeah they're Milita. So something will be done because to me, my main concern is is way too dangerous. You know, I have batting touches pitcher right, he throws with the screen. Why exactly position player you expose him to so much? I understand again, is not just one teams. Every team that goes through this. Certainly, I just don't want to see anybody's career end because you know, a position player is thrown and it's just the way you know bopenser being maned right now. But if I don't seek again on my OWND the rest of my life, I'll be just fine.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Jose Mota yesterday again, former player, part of the Motive Family, broadcaster. He is not a fan of position players pitching, and he brings up the safety issue, which I think is a great thing to bring up. If you want to eliminate this in Major League Baseball, this is all they would have to do to say enough, no more position players pitching. It's a safety issue with exit velocity, something that is now measured on scoreboards at baseball parks across America. All thirty parks across the country put miles prour exit velocity launch angle. We can see how hard these guys are hitting the baseball, how they are squaring it up. A show Ayotani hitting the ball one fourteen off the bat. Nobody wants to get in front of that. A Manny Machado, a Fernando Tatis of Freddie Freeman won five off the bat, one ten off the bat. Nobody wants to get in front of that. Now, if you got a batting practice pitcher up there during pregame, as Jose said, they've got the l screen up there, so they're throwing batting practice pitches. They don't want to get hit. They don't want to get a line drive off the dome. They don't want to get a line drive off the chest or the leg. They don't want to die. If you're Major League Baseball, you very easily can say no more position players pitching. It's a safety issue with these position players out there just trying to get out. I get it. They're not trying to strike anybody out and be fancy and throw ninety five. They're just out there lobbing the ball, try to get the game over as quick as possible. I get that, But you can say it's a safety issue. When you're throwing fifty five sixty miles an hour out there, that's vp fastball for a hitter, and if you put one down the middle and they line it up, it could be dangerous for a position player, and they if they wear the helmets, hopefully that helps them. But you can use that Major League Baseball if you want, as an issue and a way to get out of having position players pitch. Now, it's got to be negotiated by both sides, the players' union and the owners, but if you wanted to get rid of it, you can say it is a safety issue. With that being said, you could also then say, all right, we'll expand the rosters by one two players and make it a twenty eight man active roster instead of a twenty six man active roster. So we'll allow you to add two more pitchers. Why not do that? Or if you want to keep it at twenty six man roster, thirteen pitchers, thirteen position players, why don't you say, all right, we can make it if you want. You can go up to as many as fourteen pitchers. You can go fourteen to twelve. If you want to keep it thirteen and thirteen, that's fine. But you are allowed to have fourteen position or fourteen pitchers and twelve players. You can have fourteen and twelve if you like, on a twenty six man roster. Giving you an extra pitcher if you need it, that would solve the issue. Give you an extra arm. I understand. Yesterday in theory a blowout game, why the Dodgers went to Key You get here, nan, I get it. You're up ten, it's the last inning and you're three outs away, you're facing the Nationals. It's the end of a ten game home stand. It's the end of a long streak of games for this Dodgers team. And then you're going into a day off, and then you're going to Colorado, where the old Saint bullpens go to die. So you want to save as many arms as possible. I get it. I understand it. But at the level of baseball, we're being played the highest there is in the world, with the best athletes out there. Even if it's a thirteen to three game, give us a pitcher, Give us a pitcher that's supposed to be on the mound that has worked their way to the big leagues to get to this point, to get three outs because it's fun and cute when the first time a position player goes out there and he's mimicking other pitchers on the team, or he's wearing a hat and he's throwing the ephis pitch and he's throwing a looping curveball and you get to swing in the mists and everybody's having a good time. That's great, but the novelty does wear off after a while if you're a baseball fan and a purist and watching the position player out there. Okay for the fifth time, and again, not a Dodger issue, a baseball issue.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 2: This is happening across baseball with blowouts, so much so, as again said, they had to implement a rule in twenty twenty three for how and when you can bring a position player in whether you're winning or you're getting destroyed in a baseball game. There are ways to fix it by just completely eliminating the ability to have a position player pitch, add an extra roster spot or two, or allow you to carry an extra pitcher on your twenty six man roster. That's an easy solution to this problem. Maybe you agree, maybe you disagree. Eight sixty six ninet eighty seven two five seventy. I've heard the other side saying this is fun, this is great for baseball. Who cares it's three outs? Who cares it's a blowout game? Anyway? Well, I look it from a fans perspective. Pay a lot of money to go to games. You pay a lot of money at games, and when you're at a game, you paid parking, you paid food, you got a family of four, you're at the game, you paid for tickets, and all of a sudden, it's a blowout game in the fifth or sixth inning, and you've got a position player pitching for the team that's losing. I mean, now it's turned into rock and jocks softball in essence for the final three innings. Okay, is that fun? Is that great? I mean, if you're into it, I guess, but you know, I know it in every game is a blowout. You get once in a home stand, once every two weeks. You get a blowout on either side, and it happens either way. Dodgers have been blown out like they were in San Diego, and on the flip side. Four out the five times that we've seen Keith Ahernender's pitch has been at home, when the Dodgers are blowing out the Marlins, when they're beating up on the Yankees, when they're beating up on the Giants last Saturday, and when they're beating up yesterday on the Washington Nationals. Yesterday. I would have liked to have seen Matt Soer finish finish that ninth inning. I just would have eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It seems to have gotten into a big topic across baseball. Position players pitching has a novelty, worn off and time to put it into it altogether across the sport American League nationally, get rid of it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy one. Last thing aground baseball today was in Las Vegas. It's been talked about, it's been voted upon. The city council has talked about it, The county in Las Vegas has been talking of it. Baseball a stadium in Las Vegas. They got a Triple A team there, but bringing a major League team to Las Vegas. Today. We finally had a shovel in the ground as they start breaking ground at the old Tropicana nine acre baseball stadium being built over a billion dollars. Gonna see thirty three thousand fans, Gonna have a glass top dome so you can see out of it. It'll be indoors, so it's not one hundred and fifteen during the summer, which it gets like in Vegas. I think it's cool that baseball is going to Vegas. I love the fact that the Raiders there. I work for the Raiders. I love it. I love the fact that the NFL has games there, what eight times during the regular season, a couple of preseason games. They've had a Pro Bowl there, They've had a Super Bowl there, They've had NBA All Star or Summer League there, and now they have majorly Baseball there in twenty twenty eight. Is pretty cool. Here's Rob Manfred earlier today at the groundbreaking track.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 8: Look, I could not be more excited to be here in Las Vegas today. Las Vegas has proven itself to be a great sports town and a great host to professional franchises. All of us at Major League Baseball. All the owners are excited to be adding Major League Baseball to the entertainment alternatives that are available here in Southern Nevada. The Athletics have a long and proud history, nine World Series titles, great players like Ricky Henderson, Dave Stewart, Raleigh Fingers, Vita Blue list goes on and on. I think about today as the beginning of a new chapter in that great history.
Speaker 2: I think that's well put by the commissioner, Rob Manford. I don't always agree with them, by I think you said it very well there. It is time for the Athletics to find a permanent home, and Las Vegas will be that permanent home. It's gonna be twenty twenty eight, still two and a half years away. They're gonna have to gut it out and play in West Sacramento in a minor league complex until they can get on the field in the spring of twenty twenty eight. But if they can wait it out, what's they're gonna have to it'll be worth it. And to have baseball in Las Vegas, it's gonna be fantastic and it's just gonna be like when the NFL games are there. It's gonna be a destination weekend. When your team goes to Vegas to play the Las Vegas As, it is gonna be a destination spot. I think it's really cool. I think it's good for the sport to have a professional team in Las Vegas. I think it's gonna be great for the summertime to have the Dodgers in A's playing a three game weekend set up in Las Vegas, and to have Dodger fans be able to go up there. I think that's gonna be a lot of fun. Angel fans gonna be able to go up there for the weekend. I think it's gonna be very cool to see that when it happens. Still two and a half years away, but again, shovel in ground today at the groundbreaking ceremony. We'll take a break, we'll come back. I got one line open eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Your phone calls when we come back. We're diving into the old position player pitching has its run, its course, has a novelty worn off. I think so eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We've seen key K pitch five times and we haven't even got to July yet We've seen Miguel Rojas pitch already in a blowout game. I think it's jumped the shark. So this say in the old Happy Days reference eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy A nice Happy Days reference. Tim, wait to go, I'm referencing Happy Days. I'm not even that old. I watched it on reruns. Tim Kate's Ronnie Fossulio and you. It's Dodger Talking on Monday Night. Thanks for being with us on n FI seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. A m five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Tim Kates with you here on this Monday Night, June twenty third. Dodgers in act tomorrow in Denver, five to forty first pitch from Couriz Field, the first of three against the Rockies. Then it's off to Kansas City for a three game weekend set against the Royals. Dodgers start the night all alone first place atop the NL West at forty eight and thirteen on the season. The Dodgers have the Giants three and a half games back in the division. The Padres are five games back in the standings and the Padres inaction right now as we speak, Fourth Indian at Petco Park, as the Washington Nationals have jumped out to a two to nothing lead over the Padres eight six six nine eighty seven to two five seventy. I asked you about the position players yesterday. Key a Hernandez, for the fifth time already this season, was on the mound pitching in a Dodger blowout win, and for the second straight game, the Dodgers had to go to a reliever to get out of the game with the win. Now they were up thirteen to three. He gave up four runs. It ended up being a thirteen to seven game. They get the win, still in blowout form against the Washington Nationals. But how much more are we going to see this in baseball? These position players pitching? Is that what you want to see in a major league game? Arthur Marina del Ray start things off here on this Monday night on Dodger Talckey Welcome, Arthur.
Speaker 3: Are you doing I'm going to find how are you doing? Tim?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good? What do you think about the position players pitching and games?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 9: Earlier this year I was really enjoying KK, you know, and and it does something new that will be but five times. It's a lot of position players in my perspective.
Speaker 3: But I want to I.
Speaker 9: Want to give you and I told Ronnie that's what I wanted to talk about. But I has some test one to win quickly, you know, you know it's and it has to do with.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 9: Well, I think the station has done a great job and procassing the Dodgers. I'm concerned though that uh speaking about position players for and now it tonight and how many I was doing today? Is where's the important thing's school on right now? The right important thing is, uh, is what we're dealing with with with wrobably with the padres for example, we're hearing a lot of stuff about you know, uh, we we need to look at how we're speaking to two people and uh, I think, uh, And there's a lot of people to pay attention to.
Speaker 3: Todave and Day does a great job.
Speaker 9: I dave a lot and uh and appreciate what the work he does and you do, Tim, I appreciate the to.
Speaker 3: Our deck.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of shows doing the year and I'm grateful.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 10: I'm really grateful for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but I'm just saying about how, you know, how we look at things, and I did that. I think, uh, people who look at how Dave comes across, how you come across and sometimes if people are feeling negative, it's just drive race. You know, people cap into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, he just saying, Arthur, and I appreciate it. I I'll push back a little bit in that we're celebrating the fact that this is a great Dodger team, and we celebrate the Dodgers every single day, and we continue to celebrate with this team did last year, what they're capable of this year, and how talented this roster constructed this past offseason was gonna look like and be and what it has been despite these injuries, and Dave Roberts gets applauded every single day. What this team is able to do, mixing and matching starters, openers, bulkanting guys, you know, back end bullpen relievers. With all the injuries Evan Phillips done, you know, Blake Trining has not pitched for a lot of the season, and to bring up players like Jack Dryer, Benkuspirius, to bring in the leech ravinos of the world. We celebrate that every single day on an off night. To bring up the fact that we're starting to see a lot of position players pitch, I think it's okay to send something to talk about. I think it's something we're seeing across baseball. It was an epidemic a few years ago, so much so that Baseball had to put tighter clamps on it and tighter rules to when you can or cannot bring in a position player. But as it is, the Dodgers have blown out teams on multiple occasions this year. That's a good thing and we celebrate that. Now, how often are we going to see a position player pitch? How often do we need to see a position player pitch in a game? That's what we're talking about tonight, and I appreciate the phone call. Al in Hollywood is next up here on off night Dodge Talk.
Speaker 11: Welcome, hel How you doing, Hey, Thanks Tayan for taking my call.
Speaker 12: First thing.
Speaker 10: I was there in Elson Gundong FARTI so so congratulations to you and the crew were putting up a good show.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you coming out.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I do agree.
Speaker 10: Well, I know you're a catcher for UCLA. I was the one with the UCLA light blue jacket hoodie on, So next time I'll put it on when we see each other again. I do agree with you. You're rewarding that bad team who's getting boat raced, as you said, and that they're putting in a player position. So I suggest a solution. If you do what Kike, like the Dodgers did yesterday's game, then what you should do is the next day, you lose the opportunity to date. The picture has to bat for himself. In other words, it's a one day thing. It adds excitement, but Shoey has to play the field if he can't. Dight, But you don't reward the team that's losing by saving their pictures for the next game. So if you can to save the picture, then you lose the d eighth and the picture. If you want to play the picture, you're saving him like in your example Trevino, Then if he pitches, then he's got to bat the next game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. Now, I think that's overthinking it a little bit. I'll aboutways just get rid of it altogether. How about we look at a game as a team wins, a team loses, and if you're getting beat be better. If your pitching's not very good, make it better. Get better pitching, develop better pitching, Go out and get better pitching. Your pitchers need to do a better job executing the pitches. There's some games, some games, maybe your guy just doesn't happen. It happens. It happens all the time to the best pitchers in baseball, the best starters that ever played this game. That happens. Maybe you add an extra roster spot for another pitcher. Maybe you make it so on the twenty six man roster you're not just limited to thirteen pitchers and capped out there. You're allowed fourteen. Heck, you can have as many pitchers as you want on a twenty six man roster. It's up to you to determine that that's the way that's tall this. Just get rid of it. A team that continually is getting beat up on, you're not doing them any favors, and they're just gonna bring a position player in, Oh it's fun. We're gonna go out there and we're gonna hit the ball round even more. And a team that's blowing out of their team, my old theory thinking is finish them off. Just take care of business. You know, it's a long season, it's a blowout game. You're only allowed to use it in the ninth inning. Just finish it off. We've seen it now five different times from Mkika and once from mcguil Rojas, and we're seeing it a lot across baseball. I just don't want it anymore in games. You know, you have all these pitchers in the minor leagues, you have a certain amount of roster spots at the big league level. If you have to go to a position player to pitch, that doesn't send a great message. And I know it's once, it's not even once in a blue moon anymore. I mean, you can't even say that. You can't say it's gonna happen once or twice a year, a blowout. You're gonna have position player pitch. It's a lot of fun. If that were the case, then yes, we wouldn't even be discussing it. It wouldn't be brought up. Baseball wouldn't have had to address it twenty twenty three. But it is happening a lot, and it's a way to save arms. I get it, But should a team be allowed to save arms, especially if they're losing for being bad, they can better position player in that's a reward. I don't know about that. Kurt sank Clementy, Welcome to Dodger Talk here on a FI seventy I Sports. Hi doing, Kurt.
Speaker 3: You know how you saved arms? How's that by getting rid of the pitch clock? And I know that that's not the issue, but I agree with small baseball making it league baseball. These guys are making hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars and baseball it's like the turning it into a curl.
Speaker 2: It is. It is kind of a weird feel to it, and it's, uh, it's not easy to digest if you're a baseball purist to see the amount of position players that are out there pitching. Sergio in Las Vegas. Speaking of Las Vegas, we mentioned it earlier today, the groundbreaking for the new athletic stadium that's being built at the old side of the Trapicana. Sergio, what's the buzz in the seven oh two?
Speaker 6: Hey Timmy, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: This is the first time I ever recalled.
Speaker 2: I'm off my Dodgers talk, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 6: Couple things and then we'll talk about touch on Vegas really quick. U tremendous homestand seven and three coming off that huge eight in and twelve stretch with the tough teams. A great job by the by the ball club. I have to agree with Johnson. It's just embarrassing, you know, like you said the first time, whether it be Miggy or Keyga, go on the mound and they get out of the inning, you know, with maybe giving up a hit, but when you when you pk what he's given up eight runs in a total of one inning. The thing that's embarrassing to me is that is that Doc has a cup. He has to pull woman for an actual reliever. It's like, just like you said, bring the reliever in live Trevino in yesterday, and I know you have touched on his pitch count. Maybe maybe they bring in sour. Maybe that was a better call, but I don't like it. The fun, the fun part of it is over. Uh you know, I like your your roster manipulation, that's right the word to say. But to shuffle fourteen and twelve, I like that now. First dog to gain I ever went to Timmy nineteen seventy six. I remember like it was yesterday. I was six years old I moved, so I've been a huge Dodger fan. I moved to Vegas in two thousand and three, and when the buzz started years ago about potentially the A's coming here, I thought, Man, this is cool.
Speaker 3: I go home.
Speaker 6: My parents still live in Santa Monica. I crashed the couch and go to ten games a year. But the fact that the Dodgers will eventually come here every other year is awesome. There's a lot of people hating on it here in Vegas, but they did the same thing for the Raiders. You know, you said you worked from so I'm sure you heard all the negative stuff from locals here. I think it's gonna be awesome really quick, and I'll let you go. I used to I sell insurance, but I used to do uber driving part time, and one time I went to an executive airport and picked up the owner of the Raiders, Mark Davis. He was out here checking out the construction of the stadium and got to talking. You ask me, how long have I been there. I've been in been a long time, said man. The Raiders are gonna make money hand over fist and he goes, why do you say that? And I go, well, first of all, I'm a Rams fan, but I said, like you touched on it, Timmy.
Speaker 3: It's a destination city.
Speaker 6: You can fly in on a Friday night, like say you're a Bronco fan or whatever, a Charger fan and the stay Friday decided to go to this game Sunday and go home. I mean, it's gonna be the same thing for baseball. You have you know, I know cavel right now in Vegas people were talking about is down, but traditionally it's like forty seven million a year. There's gonna be a bunch of people from the travelers that come in here that go to games. I mean, I'll certainly be there for the homestands the Dodgers are here or the games. So I'm excited and hopefully I see you around the stateum here in the future.
Speaker 3: Buddy.
Speaker 2: All right, Sergio, I appreciate the phone call. Gary ladera Ranch. You're next up. Thanks for being patient. You're on Dodge Talk.
Speaker 4: Gary.
Speaker 2: How you doing good?
Speaker 3: Tim How are you doing doing good?
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 13: I'm opposed to it.
Speaker 3: I would just continue it completely. The position player allowed to pitch.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 13: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think it's time. I think we've seen it enough. I think it's only going to continue to be uses. I don't know if it crutches the right word, but you use in situations where let's just finish off a team. Either way, Gary, I appreciate the phone call. Thanks for being patient, Lou. And Irvine is next up here on off night, Dodge, you talk on an FI seventy. How you doing, Lou doing great?
Speaker 11: Here's one way you're gonna get rid of it. As soon as we blow a ten run lead, no one's gonna want to do it. Just look at what happened the other night against the Giants. Tik gives up a grand Slam to nobody, and so then you got to you know how quickly a game can turn. The next thing, you know, he wats another person, another hit, and then you've got three on and who knows what's going to happen. Yeah, no, nobody. I don't think anybody that really follows the game wants a position player up there. Just close out the game. That's what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: All right, Lou, appreciate it. There's a there's a way to make it easier. For your bullpen and the out of pitchers you have. And that's just add another arm on that twenty six man roster manipulated so you can get rid of that thirteen player cap right now, it's thirteen position players thirteen pitchers. It's got to be equal. You can't have more than the other. Just get rid of that and a lot of team to if they want extra pitchers, do it. Maybe add an extra spot or two on a roster. Make it twenty eight man rosters. Zach Echo Park, you're next up here on Dodge Talk. I doing Zach.
Speaker 11: Hey, Hey Tim, I'm doing good man.
Speaker 2: How you doing doing good things?
Speaker 3: Awesome?
Speaker 12: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Look, with position players pitching, I think that I agree with John Smaltz a little bit. I think it is can be kind of the most embarrassing thing in professional sports. But then I mean, I remember Anthony Rizzo striking out Freddy Freeman a couple of years ago, and that's like one of my favorite moments in baseball. So yeah, get a little of the good and a little of the bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see some funny moments. I appreciate it. You see some things that you'll never forget and you know, a guy striking out from Key k Hernandez or keyk Hernandez or Miguel varg Rojas mimicking Dodger pitches. It's fun at first, but you know, we got a long rest of the season to go. We've seen a lot of Key k hearn is. That means they're blowing out teams. That that's a good thing, Don't get me wrong, but you know, let's just finish it off. Let's get rid of the position player across the Board's not a Dodger problem. It's a baseball problem in my mind, and it's just something the Dodgers are taking advantage of. And because five out of the six times that they've brought in a actually four out of the six times they brought in a position player, Miguel Rojas and Key k Hernaniez each came in and losing efforts. The other four times they were blown out opponents. The Nationals, the Giants, the Yankees, the Marlins all blowout wins for the Dodgers. Darryl Palmdale, our final call here before we take a break and get to the farm report. How you doing, Darryl.
Speaker 13: I'm good today, David.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm doing graz thank you.
Speaker 13: I hate the position player pitching is just like football. You know, the runts didn't count, the whole runch can't count. So what you get a hold run up a position player? Is this garbage time? Get rid of it. We don't need it.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm with you, Darrel. I appreciate it. Thanks for checking in here on off night Dodger talk. So yeah, the sentiment seems to be from all our callers here, not fans of the position players pitching. It's something that baseball is addressed, and we're seeing it over and over in blowout situations. And I say it over and over again, it's not a Dodger problem. It's a baseball issue right now. And the more and more that it happens, I think the more and more fans who are the ones paying and watching the games and spending the money are being drawn off by it and just turned away by it. And you know, it's something I think major ly baseball is going to have to look at again because we're just seeing a lot of position players pitching in games and just the simple an get rid of it. That's it. Get rid of it. Add a couple extra roster spots or manipulate the way the twenty six man roster is and how many pitchers you can have on that twenty six man roster. Prom solved, have an extra arm down their bullpen. You are good to go. All right, we'll take a time out, we'll come back. We'll get you a farm report. If we got time, we'll squeeze in calls. What we do is run down the Dodgers top prospects from TRIPAA down to a ball. Give you an update on a solve. These big names you've heard, you saw on spring training? How they doing now in the miners? When can we see them at the big league level. I'll get your farm report next, Tim Kates, Ronnie Fossio and you on a Monday night off nine Dodger Talk on an FFI seventy ELI Sports. Dodgers heading to Colorado to start a six game road trip, three against the Rockies and then three against the Kansas City Royals. We'll have Morago Casino Dodgers on deck. Getting our covered started tomorrow at four point thirty. First pitch from Cooris Field, Dodgers and Rockies is at five forty. Appreciate all the phone calls. Everybody weighing in, but a it. I'm gonna get to it right now. An update on the Dodgers' top minor leaguers from Triple A, Oklahoma City all the way down to Rancho Cucamonga. Let's get you a farm report. The Dodgers' top minor league prospect right now is host sway To Paula, the twenty year old left handed hitting outfielder. He's in high a ball with the Great Lags Loons six y three, one eighty five in sixty six games already this season, a two to seventy five batting average, eleven doubles, a triple, ten home runs, twenty eight RBI, fifty eight walks in eight eighty five ops. And host swayed To Paula had himself a day yesterday.
Speaker 1: Five ball opposite way served by Depaula. Petrutz's back pedaling. The wind is blowing out that way, and it has enough. It's gone.
Speaker 14: What want to PAULA hard hit bulled it in the right center field. A base hit George hits third will easily scores toe Bobble's a bit to Paula wants to and he's in. He goes pitches outside and third basement late had him on the moves. Dapola's on the move, pitch is low and the throw is not in time to Paula goes and another swipe for the Pola. Second time that he's stolen third Today Loon's Radio Network with the call host Sway to Paula. Two hits, a two run home run, and three stolen bases for the Great Lakes Loons Yesterday. Zayer Hope, twenty year old Outfielder's got a lot of hope to make it to the big league someday. He's in High A ball playing alongside host Sway to Paula. Quieter than Michael bush Deal a year and a half ago. He's off to a good start in twenty twenty five two ninety six average, sixteen doubles, two triples, seven home runs forty two Ribby's an eight seventy two ops. Alex Frieland twenty three year old shortstop, third baseman. He's in Triple A Oklahoma City and tearing the cover off.
Speaker 1: The ball the pitch has swung at hit pretty well deep center field hell then going back racing to the wall, jumping at the wall and gone. Alex Lynn goes deep in the first inning for a second consecutive game. It is his tenth home run of the season, and the comments leaded one to nothing in the first. It's his third home run in his last six games as well.
Speaker 2: Comics Radio Network with the call seventy three games for Alex Freelan two seventy one average, twenty three doubles, ten home runs, as you heard, fifty six doubles, fifty seven ribies and eight forty five ops for the former third round pick out of Central Florida. Jackson Ferris the twenty one year old left hander. He's in Double A Tulsa. We saw him during spring training make some outings for the Dodgers at the big league level. He was in camp with the Dodgers getting experienced and in thirteen appearances eleven starts this year in Double A three to five record, six to fourteen ERA, sixty four strikeouts with a one fifty eight whip. Emia Warrales an eighteen year old shortstop signed out of the Dominican Republic via Spain. He's in thirty six games in rookie ball so far, two seventy four average, three triples, five home runs seventeen walks, so he's getting on base twenty seven strikeouts but an eight oh seven ops. Kellen Lindsey, nineteen year old first round pick of the Dodgers a year ago. He's a shortstop in rookie ball, hitting two eighty seven doubles, two home runs, twenty two walks and forty five strikeouts for his first full season in pro baseball. Another Dodger top minor league prospect. You can see him out in Rancho Cucamonga here in southern California playing for the Quakes and Wardo Quintaro, the.
Speaker 7: One two smash left field hollow looking up gone eight Twarno Kintaro has the Quakes on the board in lead off fashion here to open the bottom of the first is league leading twelve fouve of the year, and it's three to one and his Rancho on the board.
Speaker 2: Quakes radio with the call. A home run for Quintaro, the nineteen old out of Venezuela with twelve home runs, hitting three thirty in fifty nine games for the Quakes. He's got an ops oh for one thousand. Don't know how long young Eduardo Quintero will be in the Ie Joandre Vargas, nineteen year old shortstop, also in Rancho Cucamaga, the six to four kid out of the Dominican Republic. Twenty six games in Rancho to sixty two average, three doubles and two home runs. Nick Frosso out of LMU, A South Bay Guy, twenty six year old, right handed coming off of shoulder surgery, missed all of last year. He's in Triple A Oklahoma City seven Stars. Twenty appearances, five to one, record of five ZHO three era in forty eight to third innings. He's got thirty four strikeouts. Kendall George Dodgers first round pick a couple of years ago, twenty years old. Now he's in High A Ball. Part of that Great Lakes Loon team was Air Hope and Josuey Depala. Fifty four games for Kendall George two thirty six average and fifty strikeouts. It's been a slow start to twenty twenty five for Kendall George. Kyoung Siuk Jane twenty one year old out of South Korea. He was the top pitcher in Korea in twenty twenty three. Signed with the Dodgers last year. Had a good twenty twenty four and eleven starts with Rancho Cucamonga, thirty five and two third innings, forty seven strikeouts, and he's holding opponents to a one fifty six batting average. Young Siuk Jang twenty one year old South Korean in Rancho Kucamonga. Two other minor league prospects to keep an eye on. Chase Harlan eighteen year old third baseman, third round pick last year out of high school, coming off of hit surgery, making his pro debut this year twenty five games in rookie ball, twenty nine average, eight doubles and two home runs. And Guardo Henriquez twenty two year old out of Venezuela. You remember him at the major league level last year. He was called up in September, made three playoff appearances, did not pitch in the World Series. He's in TRIPLEA Oklahoma City. Hurt to start this season, he was injured until coming off the il the last week of May. Only pitched in ten games this season, ten and two third innings the seven to fifty nine ERA, fourteen strikeouts and six walks. As he builds himself back up, and we could see him coming out of the bullpen, a hard throwing right hander at Guardo Enriquez. So there you go. You're caught up on the Dodger top prospects from TRIPLEA, Oklahoma City, Double A, Tulsa High A Ball, the Great Lakes Loons, and of course right down the road here the ten Freeway with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. That's gonna do it for off night Dodger Talk on this Monday Night Mini Thanks to Ronnie Fossio, Thanks to you for being a part of the show. Thank you for podcasting as well. On the iHeartRadio app. We are back at it with Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck Tomorrow Tuesday, four point thirty pm will lead you up to first pitch at five point forty Dodgers and Rockies from Coors Field in Denver until they have a great, safe rest of your Monday night. So long, everybody,