Speaker 1: Something you should go.
Speaker 2: Something you should know is brought to you by Genesisgoldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis goold ir a dot com. Excited to have a guest in the studio, Phyllis Errands with Empire Mental Health Support. Thank you for joining me.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it morning time. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll tell you it's been really fun. We've been chatting a little bit about the organization and this is five years you've been around, yep. And let's talk before we talk about the fun event that's coming up. Let's talk about what you guys do, because I think this is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll give you the cliff notes version.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: We have support groups four times a week for people who live with a mental illness, and then one on Sunday evening for family members. That's one of the main reasons we got going is people need to, you know, talk to somebody who really understands who walks the walk. A lot of public education. I go around and say, you know, no one said the body only gets sick from the shoulders down, the head is connected to the rest of the body. And also no one grows up saying, you know, my life's goal is to live with a serious mental illness. Absolutely no, it's not a choice, no, and it's not the parent's fault that it happened. So a lot of education so that people understand better and don't feel like, you know, if you hear someone has mental illness, they're going to do something horrible. And advocacy. I've been a big advocate for decades. We really have been doing some real good work with law enforcement. We participate in the forty hour class that is offered called Crisis Intervention Team Training, helping law enforcement officers understand how to interact differently if they come upon someone having a mental health crisis and so they don't escalate the system or a situation and have to get them in jail. We provide like a panel presentation of people with lived experience with the consumers and the family members, and then I get to evaluate also on Thursday their interactions as there's some role playing going on, and word has gotten out that we do these things. So the Minnihawk County Jail has just completed two sessions of training correctional officers on how to work with it. And then we do some panel presentations at Southeast Tech and at Augie, and we do some you know to help again keep people living successfully in the community. So support education advocacy. I can go on longer, but we don't have all day. No.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, and again Empire Mental Health Support. And the reason I wanted to make sure we let you know who they are and what they do is because now here's the chance for you to come out and support them and be a part of that in a fun way. We've got Dancing with the Soup Fall Stars on Saturday night. It's going to be here before you know it. Where will this event be held.
Speaker 1: It is held at the District. The doors open at six and we're done around nine nine thirty. You can get tickets at Dancing with Thesoup Fallstars dot org. We do have some still available. Last year we sold out, so don't don't hang on. But I tell everybody it's the night of my dreams. My husband and I took ballroom dance lessons and so of course we watched Dancing with the Stars on TV and I was fortunate enough to find the event company who knows how to put on events like this, and so yeah, so we have six local celebrities who are been practicing with six professional dancers for weeks now to absolutely stun you. People who have attended in the past you run into them six, eight, nine months later and they're like, what are you doing dancing with the stars again? Because that was so cool?
Speaker 2: Well, and again it's dancing with the Sue Fall Stars. So this is the local version, ye, And you'll get a chance to go and participate in a really fun event where you're helping raise money for great organizations.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know. It is a fun fundraiser. It is the way we keep our lights on. We're all we're entirely volunteer run organization.
Speaker 2: So I love that. Well. I love what you're doing. And you've got just the kindest heart, just the sweetest lady that I've ever talked to. When you talk about all of the things that you've done in the past, just all this passion that comes through, and I can tell that you're really passionate about.
Speaker 1: What you do. I am, I am. I want to leave the sux Falls area a better place for people who live with mental illness.
Speaker 2: I love that. And you've got many years of doing this. How long have you been in this industry?
Speaker 1: Oh, let's see twenty five maybe.
Speaker 2: And again so when you hear well this Empire Mental Health Supports five years old. Well, it's built on a very nice strong foundations. It is yep, and you got a whole team of people that know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: You know, everyone involved is passionate and so you know it makes it work.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Thank you for doing what you do.
Speaker 1: Thank you John.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to learn more about their organization, the website is Empire Mentalhealth Support dot org. And then once again the website for the Sue Fall Stars.
Speaker 1: Dancing with the Soup Fallstars dot org.
Speaker 2: Very nice and I'm gonna make it easy. I'm gonna throw a link to both of those on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash Sunny Radio and Facebook dot com slash Sue Falls News. And something something you should Know is brought to you by genesisgold Ira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold Standard. Get a free Gold and Silver guide now at genesisgoldra dot com.