Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: There's four answers that you have to answer for the state bar. There are two that are kind of right that it's not going to be completely right, but mostly right. Then there is one that is more right than the other two, and then the top one, which is the most right. And sometimes they are so close that if fifty to fifty percent of the people answer one way or the other, they throw.
Speaker 1: Out the question and now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: And good morning everybody.
Speaker 2: By the way, that promo was me yesterday describing the multiple choice part of the bar exam that is being changed.
Speaker 3: The bar exam is just.
Speaker 2: I have to admit I'm a pretty good test taker. I never had problems with tests. That one was a bitch, you know.
Speaker 4: I know it sounds like you're rambling on that promo, but it did make sense. There's so nuanced that exactly ye, we'll get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it's exactly correct.
Speaker 5: Then they just go throwing it out.
Speaker 2: The only thing that saved my ass during the taking of the bar was I was high on cocaine the entire time.
Speaker 3: And I was.
Speaker 2: I became president of alumni association for law school, and I would go to colleges and people would ask Bill, is the bar exams as hard as they say? I go, yeah, so how did you prepare for the bar exam? Cocaine? Lots and lots of cocaine. So they asked me to leave that position. They'd rather not have someone representing the school telling college students to store the cocaine to take the bar.
Speaker 4: But to your point, yes, what happened to that school that you graduated from?
Speaker 3: It went out of business?
Speaker 5: Okay, just that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is now defunct, and not because it was a terrible law school, which it was, but it was because school has become so insanely expensive law school and the job opportunities out there are much feward than they were because you know, lawyers have just priced themselves out. Now you go to Harvard, you go to any of the big schools. It's the UCLA even or Stanford. I mean, you know, high sc and you come out near the top of the class, you're going to.
Speaker 3: Get a job, a good job.
Speaker 2: But for the rest of it, and the only reason I went out on my own and I started practicing the day I finished I passed the bar. As a matter of fact, I actually started practicing before I was licensed to be a lawyer.
Speaker 3: I was involved, and we had to post date.
Speaker 2: Some of the documents because a few of them went out before I was sworn in. So anyway, I had to go out on my own because no one would hire.
Speaker 3: Me, of course.
Speaker 5: Not you're a walking problem.
Speaker 3: No kidding, no kidding. All right, good morning for one and all amy. Good morning, Hi Bill. Oh you're nice and crispy, bright pink this morning. It's not you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, sort of reddish, pinkish, Yeah, okay, fair enough. And there's a cono in his hat and sort of a dirty gray T shirt. It looks somewhat like a homeless person. Good morning, Cono.
Speaker 5: It's not dirty.
Speaker 3: Oh it's gray. You can't tell.
Speaker 5: It's very clean.
Speaker 2: It's it's gray. You can't tell, ConA. It looks dirty because it's it's a dingy gray.
Speaker 5: It's not. It's great, just more of a Heather Gray.
Speaker 3: My wife's name, Heather Gray, Heather Conor.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, and there's Anne and I'm doing a close definitely, we're doing a fashion show.
Speaker 3: This morning.
Speaker 6: That is.
Speaker 2: La Chargers L Chargers sweatshirt, and Neil, you're wearing the T shirt Frankenstein T shirt. Oh no, it's mad. It's the mad guy. What's his name, Elmer t Mad? God know what was the name of What was the name of that mad character?
Speaker 5: ALFREDY Newman?
Speaker 3: That's it, alfredy Newman?
Speaker 5: Good enough toxic tunes. I love this artist.
Speaker 4: And he did a version of ALFREDY Newman as the Frank Frankenstein's monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, aren't we happy?
Speaker 2: We do radio and no one can see that? And Will is will around? He is not, oh okay, because I don't see him on the monitor. Okay, So who does traffic in the morning now? When Will's not there?
Speaker 6: Rich Cossona is filling in today. He's not on our little group thing.
Speaker 3: Though, Oh okay. Is he in studio? He's in his studio, in Will's studio or outside.
Speaker 6: The some if he was here, he would be on.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: A little confusing, All right, guys, what a way to start the show, complete confusion forgetting ALFREDY Newman's name and talking about my now defunct law school.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're done, guys. Certainly with the introductions in the morning. Are you guys ready to do it for or handle on the news? Yeah, okay, let's do it. Amy, Neil and me lead stories.
Speaker 5: Well, here we go.
Speaker 2: Trump turned around and once again sort of kind of changed his mind. So yesterday he said the one hundred and forty five percent tariff, well, okay, let's not make it one hundred and forty five percent tariff.
Speaker 3: We're going to lower the tariff.
Speaker 2: We don't know when we're going to lower the terraff or I'm going to lower the teniff tariff, but it's going to be less than one hundred and forty five because it is a little high, but it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be more than zero.
Speaker 2: Just everybody is really, I mean, no one has any idea the changes are being made. I mean, hour by hour, the world markets are going crazy. The IMF said, we're the global economy is being affected by all of this. Consumer confidence is the worst that it's been in decades. I mean, no, that's not true. Worse that it's been since the pandemic, and it is. I mean, it's it's just crazy. And the exemptions, right, he calls one hundred and forty five percent exemptions except for the top tech TVs, you know, phones, computer chips, of course, having nothing to do whatsoever with Bezos or Bezos and Zuckerberg and everybody cowtowing up to him. Those are the industries that have been exempted and completely under the one hundred and forty five percent tariff. And now it's just up in the air. And he has said, well, China is coming to the table. She is telling him to go pound sand.
Speaker 4: G is saying yes, but he's telling him at the table. He's coming to the table and tell him go pound sand.
Speaker 3: And he's and she's not even coming to the table. He's just the room.
Speaker 5: He's never gonna budge, Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: No, she's ever and and Trump is gonna blink and blink. And of course he's describing all that as a win. It's all a win. You know.
Speaker 3: I had to come back on the tariffs. It's a win.
Speaker 2: I had to exempt certain industries. That's a win for us. The fact that g somehow is telling us to go pound sand, that's a win for us.
Speaker 3: It's I don't even where to go.
Speaker 2: But in the meantime, I was talking to Savill, my partner, yesterday about our business.
Speaker 3: We stopped it cold.
Speaker 2: We have products in China that we're not letting ship, and they're stopping shipping too. And there was a meeting at the White House with the executives of Home Depot and Walmart saying to Trump, this is going to kill us. This is going to wipe out our business. We're gonna have empty store shelves if this this tearoff continues.
Speaker 3: Just gone.
Speaker 2: Salvlle and I were talking about our business. He's been doing it for forty years. This continues on. We close the doors, as hundreds of thousands of other businesses would do so.
Speaker 3: So you know, but it's gonna be good for the United States. It's gonna be good, like the pandemic was good.
Speaker 5: All right, all right.
Speaker 4: Russia launched it's deadly as unfortunately, wave of attacks against Ukraine's capital nine months. In nine months, I mean early today in the wee, hours after US President Donald Trump accused of Vladimir Zelensky of harming peace talks in a fresh ti rate against the Ukrainian counterpart. There, Moscow sent seventy missiles one hundred and forty five drones towards Ukraine, mainly targeting Kiev. And right now you're looking at least eight people killed in the boat.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: What's going on here, unfortunately, is the Trump administration is pushing very very hard for a peace deal, just laying into Zelensky saying Vance saying, if you don't sign this peace deal, the United States is going to walk away.
Speaker 3: And the peace deal.
Speaker 2: That the United States is in fact advocating is exactly what Russia wants. Russia has taken from Ukraine, Ukraine doesn't get into NATO at all, precisely what Russia wants. So Putin is saying, oh, yeah, we'll sign this. So Lensky said, we can't give up the land. It's against the constitution. I can't do it. I don't have the ability to sit down with Russia and say you can have Ukrainian land. And so it's gonna be tough if Europe doesn't pick up the.
Speaker 3: Arms to Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Ukraine is well, Ukraine will be two thirds size, Russia will have one third of it.
Speaker 5: I think Europe will come to the table.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so, although they're not letting in Ukraine and NATO, that is not happening.
Speaker 3: It doesn't it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. In the near future, and they're cow taling to Putin on that one.
Speaker 2: Putin's saying that if Ukraine gets in a NATO, it's an act of wars. So what's Putin gonna do go to war with NATO? Is that go to war war twenty seven countries? Yeah, anyway, it's unfortunate. I think Ukraine is effectively gone with the.
Speaker 3: Help of the United States. That's the heartbreaker here, Okay, fun part of the new popery.
Speaker 6: Someone wants to be in the room where it happens. A cardinal convicted of financial crimes by the Vatican says he can be part of the conclave even though he's listed as a non electorate. It's Cardinal Giovanni and Jello. Bet you, I don't know if I said that, right. He was one of the most powerful figures at the Vatican. But then in twenty twenty, Pope Francis ordered him to resign the rights and privileges of a cardinal after he got embroiled in a Vatican financial scandal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was convicted of embezzlement and fraud, convicted by a Vatican court. Why would Francis not just Defrockham right there?
Speaker 3: Goodbye?
Speaker 2: Done Nope, and he's claiming because he wasn't and he's still a cardinal and his conviction is on appeal.
Speaker 3: He's gonna sit in and vote for the new pope. Don't know, We'll see what happens.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing no, yeah, why would they.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing that.
Speaker 2: You know, the farah Kevin Ferrell, the consiglieri who is running the place in absence of the Godfather, who is in charge of the voting.
Speaker 3: He's actually a carme lango, but it's close. Dual lingo, yeah, du a lingo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He speaks same. By the way, he does speak several languages.
Speaker 2: Pharaoh speaks English, he speaks Italian, he speaks Spanish. He even speaks Gaelic Irish Gaelic. Because he came from Ilin became a US citizen, so he is considered an American cardinal, and he's handling the whole thing. He's the one that he's the one that taps the pope, the dead Pope's forehead with a silver hammer and asks are you alive, are you alive? Or you're alive three times and then declares the Pope is dead. Pope is dead, and then crushes the ring, you know, with a hammer. And here's an interesting one is that, uh, the the death certificate of anybody has to be issued by the Italian government. There is also a death certificate issued by the Vatican in the in case of the pope dying or when the pope dies.
Speaker 3: So there's two death certificate, one Vatican, the other one is the is the official one. Kind of fun, it really.
Speaker 5: Is one on it.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. No, it's yeah, it's just fascinating.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to get in this really some fun stuff coming up at seven twenty. And that is how Francis is going to be named a saint.
Speaker 3: Guaranteed he's going to be sainted.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you all the rules of canon's a canonization, canonization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, wow.
Speaker 5: The five thousand.
Speaker 4: Dollars of five thousand dollars rather could be given to every American mother after giving birth, with President Donald Trump saying that he liked the sound of that concept. He said it's a good idea to him when he was asked about it this week. Trump has not made a final decision on the proposal. It obviously needs to be approved by Congress to materialize, but that's that's being floated right now, five thousand bucks baby bonus check if.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a reason for it, because the birth rate in the United States is falling p pitouslee and it's going to be a net loss. The only reason that we're not hemorrhaging population is because of immigration coming in. So five thousand dollars if that's put into law, and if you look at the twenty twenty three numbers of the berths in the US, the government would be spending eighteen billion dollars to pay moms five grand.
Speaker 6: Dick Durbin's done. The longtime second ranking Democrat in the Senate, Illinois Senator Dick Durbin has announced his plans to retire at the end of next year. He said, the decision of whether to run for reelection is not easy. I love the job of being a United States Senator, but in my heart, I know it's time to pass the torch. He's eighty, He's been expected to step aside for a while. He's served in the chamber since nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: I think four of the five senators who have announced their retirements are Democrat, which is going to make it even harder for the Democrats to take the Senate. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon.
Speaker 6: Well do you blame him?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 6: They've got the new young group is saying hey, we're coming after you. I mean like they're rallying the troops and organizing, saying we're going after the older guys.
Speaker 2: Right, But at the same time you still have the power brokers in line. Mitch McConnell, for example, who gave up the majority in this case, Well it was a minority, but majority the majority position and gave it to Thune, a much younger guy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you know, when you're eighty, how far and how long do you keep on going?
Speaker 5: Okay, ask ourselves that every day, sir.
Speaker 3: No kidding, Thank you for that, all right.
Speaker 4: Tennis legend Andre Agassy is set to make his pro debut in another record sport next week when he takes part in the US Open Pickleball Championship. He's going to do this alongside the sports number one player. Her name is Anna Lee Waters and she's eighteen years old. So I guess this takes place on Aprol thirtieth, and he's going to partake in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can bet on it. Now, the game is fixed. You know that it's a racket. It's just not.
Speaker 5: What I have to have balls to make that joke.
Speaker 3: Okay, enough of that.
Speaker 6: Finding a safe space. So the wife of the guy from El Salvador who was living in Maryland and then got swept up in that ice raid and was deported down to El Salvador. And that's the one that everybody's The people are going down and visiting, The senators and lawmakers are going down and visiting, and it's kilmar Abrego Garcia. Well, his wife now says that she is moving or has moved to a safe house because the Trump administration posted a court document that included her address on social media. The document was a protective order. I believe that she filed in twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yes, she did.
Speaker 2: Against him for domestic violence, and they're using that to establish that he is a bad guy and deserves to be deported.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's got her address on it, and she says she doesn't feel safe, and so she's moved the Department of Homeland Security said, these are public documents that anyone could get access to.
Speaker 2: Do we know if there was a governmental agency that was involved in moving her local police department or the state or the county, or is it just on her own?
Speaker 5: Where else do you get a safe house?
Speaker 2: Well, it could be that she just moved and they're calling it a quote safe house.
Speaker 4: And that's I don't know, that's dishonest if they use the term safe house instead, she's.
Speaker 2: The story does not tell us whether she did it on her own or whether they're is some kind of governmental entity in doing that.
Speaker 5: Well, she felt safe enough to be with a guy who hit her, clearly, all right.
Speaker 4: For four months, Los Angeles City officials we've talked about this here, had an outside contractor. They worked to ensure the Santae Naz Reservoir, that one hundred and seventeen million gallon water complex. It's right there in the heart of Pacific Palisades. They were talking about it returning into service by early May. It had, as you remember, not been in use for a year or so. It was emptied because it had some holes in the cover. Actually, well they apparently repaired it, then filled it back up, and then found more tears and pinhole size leaks on this floating cover.
Speaker 5: So now they have to dream it again.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm wondering I think it'll repair. Are the terrors?
Speaker 2: What do pinhole size leaks have to do with shutting it down? Okay, I mean you would think pinhole size leaks. I mean that's like nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So our pool here is not a big pool. It's like twelve by twenty four. We have a cover on it, right, an automatic cover. It gets pinhole leaks, the water ends up coming up from it and then evaporating on the top, and you end up losing you know how much. Yeah, you lose a tie up to where we have to keep getting it replaced. All right, So I mean because it so, I'm all, I can only imagine that that's the issue, because otherwise I don't know is it contaminated that way or No?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I don't think. I don't think this is drinking water.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is clearly fire suppressant, a fire suppressant system.
Speaker 3: All right, now, let's go ahead and take a break.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know that. I thought pinhole leaks to don't mean anything. But okay, I'll buy that that resonates.
Speaker 6: No, we're sleeping on the streets. The La City Council voted eleven to two in favor of expanding a policy to prevent the homeless from sleeping in certain public spaces. The ordinance also prohibits people from sitting, lying down, or keeping belongings in designated areas. There's already some areas in place. It's now extending to Superior Street and Daring Avenues in Chatsworth. The people, though, before they get in trouble, are supposed to get an advanced notice before their camp area is cleared, and also be offered help in finding shelter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has to be an insurmountable problem. I just don't get where the answer is. Certainly, I don't think anybody can disagree with you have to keep people off the streets if possible, and put them in the shelters if possible. A couple of things though, there are people that won't go in the shelters. There's a good chunk of these people who are mentally ill.
Speaker 3: Uh And we don't know.
Speaker 2: The exact proportion, but there's a really good chunk. I've heard as much as a third. Then you have people that have dogs that have pets. You can't go into shelter with a pet, and so what do they do do they give up their pet? They don't, and so they're not going to get off the street. At the same time, I don't want anybody living on the street. When I lived at the Persian Palace, I'd get off the freeway and then I would have to turn left onto my street on the on ramp and then turn left and I would have to go under the underpass. And under that underpass was an encampment that went literally from one corner to the other to the other corner of the overpass. Filled it up and they brought in a bathroom, well bathsroom. They bought a port a potty. The city did, and it was It was horrible. It was horrible, trash beyond anything you can image.
Speaker 5: Joking. That's everywhere here. That's everywhere here where I live.
Speaker 3: Of course, because that's where you live.
Speaker 2: Know, there are some of us that actually live an areas that aren't your area, where you have not only do you have homeless people that you're friends with. Everybody you make friends of, the rats, they're pets of yours.
Speaker 5: You know, it's even worse.
Speaker 4: I'm surrounded by hipsters and you can't tell what's a hipster and what's a homeless.
Speaker 5: It's rough out here.
Speaker 4: Homeless by that except by the five thousand dollars mac laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Helps, But they didn't say who they two were that voted.
Speaker 5: It against it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think they did.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't see it because they live on the street.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, it's time for you to leave American and go where. One night this month, Los Angeles immigration attorney, what are the odds? Harriet Steele opened her email to a notice from the Department of Homeland and Securio says it's time for you to leave the United States. And she was confused, obviously a little concerned. She's a US citizen, she was born in Los Angeles, but she thought maybe the email was meant for a client, But sure enough, it was meant for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, some people are receiving these thinking that if somebody put a fake email down, or someone else's email, or and they're just going out.
Speaker 2: It's I know people, and I speak to people American citizens born in this country who are genuinely afraid of being deported. And I asked your question to where where do you deport someone who is an American citizen? Maybe l Salvador, Because the government of l Salvador is taking prisoners for pay.
Speaker 3: The US is paying l Salvador.
Speaker 4: As an American citizen, that they're going to get deported.
Speaker 3: They are genuinely frightened.
Speaker 2: Well, here is a dhs on notification saying it's time for you to leave the United States, an official document from the government of the United States to a US citizen, it's time for you to leave. Now, I'm assuming that you know they they've stopped those Those are mistakes. But the same thing happened to Abrego. That was a mistake deporting him.
Speaker 4: Yes, but he's not he wasn't born in the United States.
Speaker 3: No, I understand. I'm not arguing that.
Speaker 2: All I'm saying I'm going to the mistakes being made by the government and you're.
Speaker 4: Legally what I'd be concerned, yes, but as an American citizen, no, of course not.
Speaker 3: Of course. I mean I tell these people that's impossible. But that's not the point.
Speaker 2: The point is the fear factor, and this administration doubles down. It does not come back even when it makes a mistake.
Speaker 3: That's the problem. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 6: One man's fine and is another company's tariff. The European Union has fined Apple and Meta combined seven hundred and ninety seven million dollars or seven hundred million euros because they say that the two companies messed with a digital competition law. Joel Kaplan, who is Meta's chief Global affairs officer, criticized the decision, says, this isn't a fine. The Commission is forcing us to change our business model, effectively imposing a multi billion dollar tariff on Meta while requiring us to offer an inferior service to customers.
Speaker 2: Now, let's spend a second talking about what Meta is saying and how ridiculous it is. They're saying, what Europe is doing is making it more difficult for Meta to do business in Europe because Europe demands other criteria. So let's say an American car manufacturer wants to sell in Europe, and in Europe you have to have different sized tires because that's the law. How dare you get in the way of us selling to you and you impose your rules on us. That's what Meta is saying. But what that's effective to attacks, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's if you're.
Speaker 2: Selling here, you have to follow our rules, and if we have different rules, which Europe does as far as online and advertising online and keeping data, they have different rules. Okay, so they have different rules. So what you sell the candidate's different, you sell the South America is different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of a silly argument.
Speaker 3: It is a stupid argument.
Speaker 2: You know. Let us you get stop your stop your rules that get in the way of us selling to your country, because that's unfair in its attacks. Okay, well, yeah, we're done.
Speaker 5: Yes, Neil, No, I was going into the new next story. Sorry to inform the people.
Speaker 2: No, we're done, unfortunately. Kf I am six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app