Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Bob NIS's from cold Spring, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I golf at aj Jolly Golf Course in Alexandria, Kentucky. Welcome to Golf Smarter.
Speaker 3: Hi. This is Bob Cordero from Haverford, Pennsylvania, and I play at the Shore Club in Kate May Courthouse, New Jersey. This is Golf's Smarter Number one twenty five.
Speaker 2: The Masters has these limited edition garden Nomes. They're about a foot toll in classic Masters fashion. They don't tell you a lot of things about what goes on behind the scenes. They don't tell you how many of them they issue per year. But I tell a story where as a millennial he lives in suburban Georgia, bought the garden Nome. The first year it was thirty nine dollars and fifty cents in twenty sixteen. He sold it in twenty twenty four for eighty nine hundred dollars. So that tells you number one, Anything with a Master's logo on it is worth something. You can travel anywhere in the world and people know what the Master's logo is about. But it also it's one of the ten principles I talk about in the book how do you use scarcity to create value? They've perfected that you can only buy their things seven days a year in person.
Speaker 1: I dream the world could be more like the Masters. With author of the Augusta Principles, John Sabino, this is Golf Smarter, sharing stories, tips and insights from great golf minds to help you lower your score and raise your golf IQ. Here's your host, Fred Green. Welcome back to the Golf Smarter podcast. John.
Speaker 2: Hello, Fred, thanks for having me back. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for reaching out again. Now it's interesting I'm saying, welcome back to the Golf Smarter podcast, but you haven't been on since two thousand and eight and episode one hundred and fifty nine, and the listeners that were that were here back then, and there are some you may remember. We never learned John's name. He was anonymous at the time because he was on episode number fifty two in two thousand and six, episode number one hundred and eight in two thousand and seven, and then episode one fifty nine in two thousand and eight, and what we were doing at the end of each year you had I don't know how you found me, but it was early on in podcasting days, and you reached out to me to say, I'm trying to play the best golf courses in the world, the top one hundred courses, and so you gave us a recap of your year of what you were doing. And I do distinctly remember in two thousand and eight, I think it was you felt like there was one course you would never get to.
Speaker 2: That true. That's it took me. Uh it took me, I think twelve years to play the top ninety nine in the world, and it took me another three or four to get on Augusta. But I had given up. I thought, okay, ninety nine is pretty good. I had been to the Masters and walked the course. That's pretty close sort of ninety nine and a half. But then, out of the blue, to the company I worked for, they invited the CEO to play, but luckily there was a board meeting that week and he couldn't go. So he called my boss, who lives in Charlotte, but he had played it already, and he did the most gracious thing anybody could do, and he said, well, John needs to play. Let's give it to John. And that's how I got on and I ended up.
Speaker 1: Did they know you were going? You were your quest to get it?
Speaker 2: They knew about it, Yeah, it was. It was widely known. That was a different company. The reason I came on your podcasts anonymous before is the company I worked for at the time, Morgan Stanley, didn't really want any publicity, you know, they were very shy on everything. But when I worked for Capitol One, which is where I got the invite to Augusta, they didn't. They didn't care as much about that, and I ended up. Yeah, I ended up playing. That was the last course I played, obviously, and I played with Marco Mera the day before the Masters in twenty thirteen. Yeah, it was. It was quite an event. And we played on the front nine Mark and I played alone, and then on the we were going and on the tenth tee Jose Maria Olthabo came off the practice putting green and said, oh, do you guys mind if I join you? And Mark said, it's okay with me. Let's see if John wants you to join or not. So he turned to me and he said, is it okay if John joins? And what am I going to say? Fred, Like, Yeah, we're in a groove here. Mark, let's just keep going. So I played the back nine with two Masters champions and it was phenomenal because they're friends, and you know, there was a very comfortable pairing and they would each drop a ball on different greens and say, when I won the Masters, here's the pot I had on thirteen, and they recreated shots for me. It was there's only one way to end a quest, to do what I was doing, and that's the way I did. I tell people now, I'm probably the only golfer maybe in the world that doesn't want to play Augusta because nothing I could do with top the experience I had. So if I ever got invited again, I would I would pay it forward and invite a couple of my friends. Yeah, I have a living you wanted hand up the others drop out, Fred, I'll slought you in Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Morgan Stanley. You know they didn't want the publicity. They also probably would have to get a team of lawyers and compliance people to make sure that you didn't say anything. I was like, so, yeah, but you wanted to remain Yeah, you had to remain anonymous by being on the podcast. But you were so nice to come back but then you disappeared. I reached out to you and I never heard from you again. So yeah, well that was pretty awesome. We got three years. I wonder whatever happened, and your name came up to me in twenty ten when I was playing at Harding Park with the two crazy Kiwis.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, Jamie, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Michael and Jamie. So these kids were traveling around the world and we're going to play a different course for three hundred and sixty five days in a row yep and circumvent the planet Untilda and play golf. And they did it. And so when they stopped in San Francisco, I played with them at Harding Park and they told me that they played with you, and they told told me your name was John. I'm like, I didn't know that. He's like, what do you mean he never told me his name? When I asked, He's like, no, I can't really tell you.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: I'll just tell you my stories, but that's all I can do. Yeah, Yeah, they were fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Where did you play with them?
Speaker 2: I believe it or not. In Melbourne in Australia. I met them. I was playing Walton Heath and I think one of the cat He said, oh, you have to meet these guys. So I met them down there. We played a couple of holes, and then when they were coming through the US, I played with them. I hosted them in New Jersey a couple of times and helped them out getting on different courses where I could. Yeah, they were they were I forget how well, maybe twenty three at the time, and I told them they were going to ruin their lives. They picked too early. You can't, Like, that's right. Think about think about how great that is to play golf for sixty five days in a row.
Speaker 1: But you got to be twenty three to have that.
Speaker 2: Exactly that, yeah, exactly, just go.
Speaker 1: Out every single day. It's like, couldn't do it today.
Speaker 2: I couldn't either. My back couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not, absolutely not. But I'm curious. I'm going to go back to Augusta in the time that you played with two Masters champions. Yep, how was your game at the time.
Speaker 2: It wasn't bad. I shot to my handicap. The highlight of the round was I played amen corner and even parr. I parted eleven. I birdied twelve, which is one of those iconic holes in the world where you think about if there's holes you want a birdie, you know, Cyprus point sixteen, TPC Saws seventeen, you know, with the water. But Augustus twelfth is pretty high up on that list. And then I bogied thirteen. So yeah, I played to my handicap. You know, Mark was very gracious. You're extremely nervous when you play Augusta under any conditions, of course, So on the first two holes he played the members teas with me instead of playing the proteas, just to sort of, you know, help me get into the situation and make sure I wasn't too nervous, which I was. But I hit the first fairway, I parted the second hole, Yeah, I did, Okay, I played to my handicap. The greens are insane, They're extremely difficult, and they were tournament speed. Like on eighteen, I hit above the hole and I just tapped the pot to try to get it to the hole, and it ran off the front of the green and then Jose Maria comes up and it drops the ball and he says, there's just nothing you could do. There's no speed you could hit it to stop it. He goes. The lesson is you just can't be above some of these holes. So yeah, it was. It was really interesting.
Speaker 1: So what's the difference between the members teas and the proteas.
Speaker 2: The members teas, I think are sixty six hundred, and god knows what the what the proteins are these days, probably seventy four or seventy five hundred. They keep lengthening it, but yeah, sixty six hundred is manageable for the average golfer, which I was at the time.
Speaker 1: Is it true that you cannot post or the course is not rated?
Speaker 2: It doesn't have a slope rating, that's correct, it doesn't have it. Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: So you just it's just a story you get to tell.
Speaker 2: Just a great round of golf that you remember forever, but you can't post the score.
Speaker 1: Right, and it lasts and the story lasts longer than your twenty rounds exactly.
Speaker 2: And I'm still telling people that I birdied twelve. So thanks for giving me the opportunity to do it again.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, I'm going to give you a lot of opportunities to brag about this because it's such an amazing story.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And just wait, when you were saying you were playing your handicap, Come on, give me more than that.
Speaker 2: My handicap at the time was sixteen. So I did break one hundred, but not by a lot. Wow. Yeah, Like certain holes just didn't suit my eye. Like sixteen I hit into the water I had left into the water. Seventeen I hit At this time the Eyesenhower tree was still there. I hit it with my drive. Eighteen I just had I just butchered up ten. I had a really hard time on. I ended up in that big bunker at the bottom of the hill and had a hard time getting out. And part of the reason for that was on the ninth hole, Tiger Woods had just teed off and he saw us and he came walking over. So Mark introduced me. So I got to meet Tiger and had a little chat with him. So even though I threw the first eight holes, I was fine after meeting Tiger. It took me two holes to settle down, Like I was hyperventilating. That Caddy saved me. He's like he came over. He said, Okay, just take deep breaths. It's gonna be okay. Don't worry about it. And luckily I rallied frame end quarter.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. And were there moments there like that you were incredibly self conscious being his sixteen handicap playing with these pros on the course.
Speaker 2: Yep. And it gets even worse. I had worse. It was the sixth hole. Yeah, the sixth hole. We walk up to it and there was these two older gentlemen sitting in a golf cart and there were two like teenagers about to tee off and Mark Mark says to me, goes, oh, let me introduce you to these gentlemen. One of them was Bob Goldby, who won I think in sixty seven, that's the with the incident with the Argentine Tinian golfer who disqualified himself. And then he said, this other gentleman is Bob is it Bob Ford? Doug Ford? Excuse me? So we we uh. They let us play through. We hit our shots, and down at the green, I said, I said, I recognize Goldbie's name, but who is Doug Ford? And he said, well, he won the Masters in nineteen fifty seven. If you could imagine, I'm like, how how is this person even alive? So yeah, I pulled that shot pretty good too, because I had a couple of Masters champions watching on that. But if you let it get in your head, it's intimidating. I mean I had played obviously around the court core world on very good courses and sometimes playing with golfers that were plus two and plus three handicaps, which can be a little bit intimidating. But I think because it was Marco Mira and he's just such a gracious person, a nice man, it was just the nerves weren't as bad as I thought they were most of the round.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to know how you hooked up with Marco Mirra. I mean, like they said, i'll let John play this, but how at what point did you know that it was going to be with Marcomera.
Speaker 2: Well after after they invited me, I knew right away. Capital One spends a lot of money on golf related things, and it's sort of a way that they they pay it back, you know, when they get opportunities to have people that sponsor tournaments and spend a lot of money on golf, they give them those kind of perks and and you know, I guess there was just an opportunity that came up and I was lucky enough to get it.
Speaker 1: So you're playing there the day before.
Speaker 2: Twenty thirteen Masters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what was this on a Wednesday? Was Tuesday?
Speaker 2: No, it's the Saturday, the Saturday.
Speaker 1: Okay before everybody, excuse me.
Speaker 2: The Sunday, the Sunday before. So the tournament, the practice rounds start on Monday, so we say it was the Sunday before. Yeah, and the only the only people allow on the course of that day or former champions and they're allowed one guest each.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Yeah, so I twenty twenty five, I got to go on Wednesday and Thursday, and it was mind blowing for me. But one of the things that really kind of not shook me up, but I was just so surprised. It's just like there's no rough anywhere. Yes, you know, I mean the one thing about the greens being I would see guys take a stroke that would be for like a five foot putt and it would go thirty five feet. Yep, there was that. But the fact that like the second cut, which is you know what everyone else would call it rough, seemed to be like most of the putting greens that I play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, aside from hitting into the water, you can't really get in a lot of trouble. I mean you could, you could hit onto the pine straw. That's a little difficult to hit at. But you're right, the fairways are in perfect condition. The first cut he's very easy to hit at of not very thick most of the courses. The difficulty is the approaches to the green. Can you hold the green if you're coming in from the wrong spot, And most of the time the answer is no. And then once you're on the putting greens, if you're not in the right spot, it's very difficult to put because they're very fast. That's the challenge of Augusta.
Speaker 1: I would think that the challenge of the Gusta is the intimidation factor.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it is. It is very intimidating. Yep, no doubt about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, okay, now we've got that established. That's not why you're here today. You've just written a book that I thoroughly enjoyed, and thank you. I promise you there will be copies given out this holiday season to a number of my friends who are not only golfers and a you know, but they appreciate what Augusta is and what the Masters is in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But they're also in business, and so you took this approach on the book, and why don't you give me the overview of what you think the book is and then we can go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you've been to the Masters, and even for people that haven't been to the Masters, they get a sense of obviously how perfect the course is watching on TV and it's also the best broadcast of the year for a variety of reasons. So the thing that strikes me when you're actually on the property Augusta, and I've been lucky enough to go nine times, wow, is it's perfect. There are so many things that they do well. You know, the attention to detail is the one that most people pick up on. You can't find any weeds on the property. Everybody's cheery, there's just you know, everybody's well behaved while there, while they're on property, And every time I left Augusta, I said to myself, how do they do this? You know, this is a perfect place. And then you get out of Augusta and people are rude and it's loud, and everything is commercialized and everything is not perfect. So the idea behind the book was to deconstruct what what it is that goes into the Masters. How are the members of Augusta National, how have they what's the secret formula that they use? And I reverse engineered and they didn't have access to any members or to the club. I did a lot of research. I read for months and months everything I could about about the Masters and what goes into it. So most books that have been written about the Masters are about the tournament, are about their about the course itself. This is the first book that's really about what makes it special. And originally I was going to write it as a business, as a just a golf book, but then as I started to get into it, I asked the question, and this was really the driving force behind the book, why can't the world be more like the Masters? Right? It's it's just a lot of people describe it that have been there as an adult disney Land and to many in many respects, it is nobody has a bad day when they go there. Everybody is going out of their way to please you, and just the way that the patrons behave and the civility behind it. So I went through and I deconstructed what makes it such a great tournament? That was the idea behind it and the reason I decided to make it a business book is certainly I'd say, you know, the majority of the book, probably eighty percent, talks about the Masters and what they do right, But then I also said, okay, are there other businesses and are there other examples where other companies who take the same philosophy and the same approach can make the world more like the Masters. So that's that's the idea behind it, to try to spread the formula that they have for people that are in business or making decisions. What can they do to make their businesses operate better, or to treat customers with more respect, or to create a more civil environment. So and as you know, there's a lot that can be done in the world to improve things, and we could talk about some of the specifics.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean early on in the book you establish and page twenty four you say, AUGUSTA National's principles can be replicated yep, And yeah, you know you're it from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And one of the things that one of the things that so like take attention to d detail. They they hand clip the edges of the of the grass near the bunkers to make sure that they're perfect. The pro shop if you pay in cash. All the cash and the pro shop are brand new bills. They won't give you a bill that's been used before. Now that's a quirk that Cliff Roberts set up. He didn't like dirty bills. But you know, they still abide by that. When they cut the flower bed in Founder Circle, which is at the end of Magnolia Lane, they have a horizontal ladder that they use so that they don't tramp down on any of the flowers. I mean, it's things that it's an insane attention to detail. But you know, let's take two examples. Outside of Augusta. Ritz Carlton also does a fantastic job on attention to detail. You know, partly they do that by empowering their employees. Partly it's just part of their culture and their those So that's one example, and people are going to think, Okay, yeah, sure, Augusta has a lot of money. Ritz Carlton's a very expensive hotel. If you have a lot of money, it's a lot easier to pay attention to detail. So I also made sure that a bunch of the examples that I gave in the book were not companies that are high and only and my favorite example is a company called BUCkies. BUCkies runs convenience centers slash gas stations slash superstores along highways, primarily in the South, and BUCkies is interesting. The reason I put it in the book is another thing Augusta does really well. If you've ever been to the Masters and you go to the bathroom, they have an attendant that cleans the stall after each use. It's insane, right, like, it's.
Speaker 1: Definitely going to the bathroom is one of the highlights of my two days there.
Speaker 2: Right, you're greeted by an attendant. There's people in there cleaning everything all the time. And what's what's a good example is one of the things that Bucky's has made part of their mission statements. They say they have the cleanest bathrooms in America. Right, so for gas stations on highway rest stops, how do you do that? Right? You do that by committing you have an you want to have an attention to detail. They take the time to make sure that that's part of their culture. They train their associates to do that, and the place has a cult following. It's it's if you've ever been in one. If you haven't, I recommend visiting they have it's very similar to Augusta. They have tons of branded gear and merchandise that they sell. Everybody is upbeat and cheery. It's just a really good example of yes, there are ways. Not everybody's not going to be perfect all the time, but pick something, pick a couple things, and you can really help to drive business and make it. And it's a cult brand. People will drive an hour out of their way to go get their gas at Bucket's because they know that they're going to get a clean restroom. So that's just one example that is a way to replicate what Augusta does.
Speaker 1: Have to share. My experience in the bathroom, I was like around I think it was around whole number four. I had to go to the bathroom. Pull my buddy, I'll be back in the night. After the bathroom, and there was this young man with the greatest energy and the biggest smile saying, if you gotta go number one, get in line here, you gotta go number two, just wait against the wall, and he was like he just repeated it that his enthusiasm every single time that he repeated It's when I got to the front of line, I was, you know, I was like, did you audition for this job? You know? I said, do you enjoy repeating you? He goes, I love this job. I've been doing this. He couldn't have been more than twenty five years old. He says, I've been doing this for seven years. I absolutely love doing this.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But I also saw that in the parking lot as soon as you got out of the car, there was a friendly person saying welcome to the masters.
Speaker 2: Isn't it crazy? Yep? And you hear that about twenty times even before you get in the gate. Yep. The security guards. There's members in green jackets. People think that AUGUSTA members are aloof and you never see them. I mean, they're captains of industry. They're very successful people. But there are three or four members who are assigned to the parking lots and that's what they you know. And before you get through the gates there they're saying hello, and they're welcoming and welcoming you in again. Like you look at there are businesses that do that. Buckets happens to be another one where you get a warm greeting. Another one I have in the in the book is Public's supermarket chain. Also in the South, and Publics has what they call they have a couple rules. They have a ten second rule, which is every customer has to be greeted within ten seconds of coming into your department. And it just makes a big difference, right, it's that same and you know it's supermarket, it's not it's not a golf tournament run by a lot of affluent people. But it makes a huge difference, and they have a huge, uh, you know, customer satisfaction rating as a result. That's just that's just one of the small things that they do.
Speaker 1: Just one of the small things. You you briefly dropped his name in, but we need to talk more about Cliff Roberts. We hear a lot about Bobby Jones, obviously, especially on this show because doctor Bob Jones, the fourth his grandson, has been a regular on this show, nice and telling stories about his grandfather, who he refers to as bubb for the last number of years. But we really don't hear a lot about the thumb print that Cliff Roberts put on Augusta National.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, I talk about a lot of the things that Roberts does in the book, and one of the things I speculate about is he was never diagnosed with OCD, but in my opinion, he definitely had it. So, you know, aside from only, he hated dirty money, so he made sure there is only clean and brand new bills there. He also made sure that every picture in the clubhouse has to have two hooks on it so that no pictures are ever crooked. They make sure that the pine straw around the trees is raked in a clockwise fashion only. So if you look at at the Masters, Jones was the reason most people came to the tournament. Both fans came to the tournament, and that's the reason it got established as a major, because the pros came to honor Bobby Jones. But everything behind the scenes was really Roberts. Jones really operated at a high level, let's say thirty thousand feet. Roberts got into the detail of everything and one of the reasons that the Master's broadcast to this day is still so good. Those are the things that Roberts laid down as the law. Right. He didn't want commercials. He didn't want it commercial. He set it up so that the agreements with the broadcasters are year to year, so if they don't like what is going on. They have control over it. And he would sit down with CBS executives after every year and he would critique and say, I like this, I don't like this. So again, one of the reasons he he made the TV broadcast so good is he said, look, I don't like chatty conversation. I don't like broadcasters talking all the time. And for any of your listeners that watch golf, which I'm sure most of them do, it's very annoying. It's it's it's sort of like the broadcasters feel like they can't have any dead space, they can't have any quiet there.
Speaker 1: This business.
Speaker 2: And Roberts said, the last thing I want is quote unquote chatty conversation. I don't want that. Golfers want useful information. So a good example of that is if you go back, I know you've had Jim Mantz as a guest on your show. If you go back and look at his most famous call, which was eighty six when Jack Nicholas was charging for his last green jacket. That is where he says the bear has come out of hibernation. If you actually go and you listen to that, there are long pauses and periods of silence even throughout that. After Nant says the bear has come out of hibernation, he's silent and nobody else talks. And the same thing if you look at the most famous call with Tiger woodshot on the sixteenth hole, where Verne Lunquist screams in your life, have you ever seen that? After that, nobody says anything for twenty seconds because they knew. You know that those are the types of things that Cliff Roberts instilled in it, And the fact that there's four minutes of commercials makes it fantag fantastic. Roberts was just dead set against commercialism. And I think I have a quote in the book on this where one of the former chairmen said, we'd rather shut the tournament down than have it be the pizza hut masters. They just they don't they don't want commercialism to be a part of it. And that goes back to to what Cliff Roberts said he was, he was the detail man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you you repeat multiple times throughout the book that it's not about the money.
Speaker 2: No, it's not, it's not about the money at all. If you look at if you look at like take take the ability to buy anything. I notice you have a Master's set on. The Only way to buy a Master's brandy gear is to go and buy it in person at the Masters. Certainly you can buy it in the secondary market on eBay or other websites, but you know you're paying a huge markup. Now, Augusta, they could flood the zone. They could. They could make Masters items available throughout you know, they could, they could, anybody could buy it. They don't want to do that, they don't need the money. They could certainly raise the price of a sandwich, right instead of costing two fifty or five dollars for a beer, they could double or triple those and people would still buy them. It's just it's it's they it's again, it's part of the ethos and they they Yeah, it's just a core part of the club. And again I give throughout the book, I give credit to all the chairmen and members of the club over the last hundred years that have stuck to that. It's one thing for Jones and Roberts to say that, it's another thing for the club to live up to those principles.
Speaker 1: And it's the Old South.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Old South very much. I agree, and it's created some crazy things. One of one of one of my favorite things in the book is I don't know how much people know about these The Masters has these gnomes. They have limited edition garden gnomes. They're about a foot toall. They won't tell you how many of them in classic and classic Masters fashion. They don't tell you a lot of things about what goes on behind the scenes. They don't tell you how many of them they issue per year. But I tell us story where and I actually spoke to this individual. It's a millennial. He lives in suburban Georgia. He bought the garden home. The first year it was thirty nine dollars and fifty cents. In twenty sixteen he bought it. He sold it in twenty twenty four for eighty nine hundred dollars. So that tells you a couple of things, right. It tells you, Number one, how much people really value what you know. Anything with a Master's logo on it is worth something. You can travel anywhere in the world and people know what the Master's logo is about. But it also it's it's one of the ten principles I talk about in the book, which is how do you use scarcity to create value? Right? They've perfected that you can only buy their things seven days a year in person, that's you use scarcity and things create value. And the company in the book that I use as an example where other companies can do it outside is Ermes, the French high end fashion retailer. You know they make the Birken bags and they also limit those and they don't you basically can't buy them, but they won't tell you how many they make. So again it's just another example of how you can take some of the things that Augusta does and replicate them. But imagine buying something for thirty nine fifty and selling it for almost nine thousand dollars. I mean, hedge funds don't even have that rate of return.
Speaker 1: So I need to share like my purchasing history when I was there this year, And it still makes me laugh when I do it, because I knew that I wasn't aware that the scarcity mentality that they had about that, but I knew I was going to have to buy gifts for people I'm you know, my friends. I don't have the opportunity that I had, and so I literally went online starting to look for it, like, well, I can get some hats cheaper and then I'll just buy them and give them my friends say. I was there and there was nothing. I couldn't mind anything, right, And my son who he and I have been like who's going to go first? Who's going to go first? You know? And I never thought I was going to get to go, and he was convinced he was going to go. I went Wednesday and Thursday. He went Friday and Saturday. But I was the guest of a member. So he said, You've got to get me a hat from Augusta National. That has Augusta National. I'm like, okay, I will, I will find one. So I the first as soon as we went through the gates, we went right to the pro shop for the members that we got to go into. We had the special members passes, and I asked him when I said, do you have Augusta National hats? Like, no, only Master's hats. And that was the end of the conference. I'm like, oh, okay, Well, so I text my son, no, there's no it's just Master is not a gust National. So I'm still looking around and I'm shopping, and my first shopping experience while I was there and I buy the hat that I'm wearing right now for you. And then my son, when I saw him two weeks later, he's like, where'd you get that hat? And I said, well, I bought it in the pro shop. It was the one that I kind of liked it a lot and it fit me really well. So yeah, I bought this hat and he goes, well, that was only available in the member's pro shop. Why didn't you get me that hat. I'm like, I had no idea. They just told me there were none, and he's like, well, give me the hat. I'm like, no, I'm not going to give me the hat. I love this hat. I'm going to wear this hat a lot. And I don't wear baseball caps, but I'm going to wear this hat a lot because we know you got to give it. I'm not going to give it to you. I love you, but I'm not going to give you my hat. And he goes, well, that's okay, I'll get it when you die. Okay, great, that's something to look forward to. Then that's all you're getting from me is my hat.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Yeah, there's a whole most people wouldn't even wouldn't even know, like.
Speaker 1: Somebody offered me one thousand dollars in the market, a trader Joe. Someone came up and goes, real, there're this here and yeah, and he goes, I want your hat. I'm like no, he goes, no, I'll give you a thousand bucks. I'm like, no, my son wants it, and he goes, I'll get and he followed me around the market and we said goodbye, and then he came back to my wife and he says, can you please get him to give me the hat. I'm like, no, you can't have that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And my son's like, you didn't take one thousand dollars for the hat, and I'm like, no, it's going to give it to you. He goes, I'd sell it for those.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but one of the lines that you have here just hit me right between the eyes. It was paid one hundred ninety two. So excited to attend the Masters, and I'm sure if they will ever return. Patrons sometimes lose their senses, they do. That was me. That was me. I went shopping four times in the two days that I was there. I bought a home, only the little one because they were out of the big ones and.
Speaker 2: I went the big one's the big ones fell out the door. Yeah, the big ones.
Speaker 1: They do have a small one. And I spend I and this is of course, I know I'm never going to play and I you know, if I go shopping in a pro shop because oh I'm never gonna play this course again, or I had a great round or something like that, I'll go right to the sales rack and if I have to, I'll move beyond that and spend ninety dollars. I spent eighteen hundred dollars YEP in four trips. Luckily they let you go back to your car and come back.
Speaker 2: Yes, they also went nuts. They also allow you to They have a UPS shipping station there. You can just walk out of the pro shop. They'll box it up and and you can send it to yourself. The average spend is four hundred and fifty dollars more or less there and they asked, I have this in the book too, because again it's that whole scarcity factor. They asked one of the ladies that was working check out, what's the biggest purchase she ever saw, and she said twenty thousand dollars, So that could be there's a lot of people that just go to the Masters and get tickets just to sell on eBay. She said, basically they bought like three of everything. To me, that sounds like a reseller, which at some point, you know, it's very very difficult, if not impossible, to resell Masters tickets now they're all coded and if you try to sell them, they'll deactivate the ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they do the same thing with people that are trying to resell, because they really One of the things that they do exceptionally well, and I go through this in the book is nothing is more important than the brand. You alluded to it, right, It's not about money. They could certainly make more money by doing a lot of different things. They could start to charge the broadcasters, for instance, but they are just very protective of the brand, which in the long run makes all the sense in the world. Right, look at that little logo on your hat. How much that's worth. That's the brand, exactly right. It's not always about money, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: They also get the right people to do this. You talk about in the book about how they their national the chief Merchandise and Creative Services Officer correct, give you a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I would say the most frequent comment I hear from people, even when you're on property or after the fact, is it feels like an adult Disneyland. And part of that is there everybody's aim is to have you feel good that day, and everybody, like you said before, bathroom attendance, people that are checking you out after you buy your permento, cheese sandwich, et cetera. But one of the things that they do exceptionally well that I think they don't get enough credit for is the way they manage talent. And the example I give is they hired someone who ran the merchandising operation for Walt Disney, and I think that person's been at the club for a dozen years or so. And if you look at what they've done in terms of merchandise and what they offer over that dozen years, they've greatly expanded the size of the of the pro shop that you go into buy Master's gear, and they now do brand partnerships with selected brands that are only high quality. That's just one example. So obviously, you know, the three hundred members of Augusta are all very successful people. They can't do the day, the day today, and when you go, if you sit down and you have lunch, you know, to a person, all the people that you're dealing with are cheerful. And I don't I don't know any other company or brand or location in the world. You know, Disney's probably the closest where everybody is that good. So again I couldn't find out what they do exactly in terms of their training program. But I don't know how you get every single person on a location to be that up beaten, chirpy all the time. It's it's it's an exceptional part of what they do, and to me, they don't get enough credit for that. But again, I think it's talent management. It's going out, it's finding the right people, it's paying them well, it's grooming them and taking care of them. There's there's just so many and that again, that's one of the reasons when where I started out as a golf book and then transitioned over. You know, it's still seventy eighty percent golf and golf fans will will really enjoy the book, even if they're not, you know, into making business decisions. But it's just really interesting some of the decisions that they've made. The other thing that they don't get enough credit for. Right, It's it's essentially a lot of wealthy people that are successful. They're not young, you know they and I give an example, they have a technology committee and the average age of their technology committee is sixty five years old. But arguably they are one of the best users of technology in the world across any industry. If you use the Master's app, if you look at what they do in terms of their broadcast, or you can go and you can just watch Amen Corner. You can watch every shot of any player they're on. I think it's fifteen different social media channels. I mean, you know, you and I aren't aren't Spring chickens either. But they're huge users of TikTok. Right. The average age of a TikTok user is is high teens, right, and most most TikTok users are in Asia or Latin America. They're very sophisticated in terms of how they use technology. And it's and it's one of the lessons that to me that really came out as I started to analyze the company. And frankly, when you go outside the Master's most you know, Masters only uses technology to help you. And most technology and I use a couple of examples in the books. Try calling your cable company or your power company or ups. First of all, you're not going to get anybody. You're going to get at some phone tree that's mind numbing and it's going to take you five minutes to get through that. When you get through that, you're going to get to some chatbot that doesn't work, and then maybe you're going to be put on hold for twenty minutes. That's the way most companies use technology. They're using it to prevent you from getting to a person. They're using it to save money. And again there's a huge lesson in there about how you don't have to do that. And I use a company in of all places, a pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, called you Line, and they sell shipping supplies and cardboard boxes and stuff. When you call you Line, the phone never rings. Go look up their eight one hundred number and dial their number. I guarantee the phone will in a second or less. The head of the company says, we pick up the phones faster than nine one one when you dial nine to one one, and he's right, it's incredible. That's that's an that's a brilliant use of technology. So again it's a it's a small, relatively small, privately held company. It's just another good example of how if you use technology wisely, you can actually help people and create a better environment. And it's another good example of how the world can be more like the Masters if more companies and decision makers decided that it was it was a good goal and worthy to do that.
Speaker 1: To me, what stands out about your book what I enjoyed so much is how you take a business view of something that all golfers and many non golfers appreciate, and that is what The Masters represents, not only to the sport, but also to the passage of time. It's like, when the Masters happens, it's ah, it's springtime. It's time to start thinking about and going out and playing golf again. Why is it in the book that you felt that the Masters would fly over the heads of private equity people. Going back into the business element of.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, one of the things I did is so if I look, I have something like twenty twenty two or twenty four companies that I compare The Masters to. So it's it's it's Disney it's you line, it's Bucky's, but it's also you know, places like publics and stuff. And one of the things I did when I started to analyze it, even though publics is a huge supermarket, it's employee owned. And eighty percent of the companies that I ended up comparing to from in the book were either employee owned or privately owned, and the other twenty percent, and frankly most I give a lot of examples of companies that do a horrible job, almost all of them were owned by they're either public big public companies, or they were owned by private equity. So it's not something I came in and said, this is something I want to try to prove or disprove. I just looked at and analyzed as I went through it, and I think, fred it comes back to just money. If if you're in private equity and you're investing in something and you want to get a return on it, what's your time horizon? Right Augusta's time horizon. They're looking at twenty thirty years and they're thinking about the brand. They're not thinking about money. So same thing. If your employee owned, you're going to do everything you can to make sure that the company is successful, because if the company does well, you do well. It's just a matter of the incentives, I think. And obviously there are public companies like Disney that do a good job. But my experience, the bigger the company, the more bureaucratic, and companies that are that are owned by private equity and and and other owners that are just looking to milk it and make money out of it, to me, they don't. They don't live the principle. Certainly, there's going to be exceptions. I'm sure I'll get calls from people that are in private equity complaining about that comment, but as a general rule that that's what I found as I analyzed.
Speaker 1: The book interesting. You also, and I hope it's okay to talk about this. You were quite revealing about your personal story. Yes, you even said I've lived two lives.
Speaker 2: I have. Yeah, yeah, I think the way I describe it is the first life was I mean, I was. I was wildly successful, given you know, I didn't excel at school. I was fantastic at sports, but I ended up doing very well in business. I have a fantastic family. I played the top hundred courses, right, I mean it was a dream life, and then in twenty eighteen, I was diagnosed with leukemia and my first life ended in one day. Leukemia is cancered the blood, and I had a particular strain that is very deadly, unfortunately, so they put me in an ambulance. I went to the hospital. I wasn't allowed to leave for thirty days. I had a bone marrow transplant and since then, you know, there's a lot of complications. I'm lucky to be alive. Let me just say first and foremost that I'm not complaining about anything. Every day is a gift. I'm happy to be here. But you know, I deal with a lot of issues from the bone marrow transplant. And it sounds goofy, but you know, when I was in the hospital and I had some moments that were not so great, and you know, I obviously wanted to get out to be with my family and my friends and so forth, but I also dreamed about one day, like returning to go back to the Masters. As odd as that sounds, because you know, I'm stuck in After you have a bone marrow transplant, It's sort of like the Seinfeld episode with the bubble Boy. You're stuck in a room. When nurses and doctors come in, they have to put on special equipment. You're not allowed to leave the room for thirty days. You know. I'm hooked up to five or six different monitors and ivs and so forth. It's such an antiseptic environment and it really just crushes the soul. And to me, the best place in the world. And you've been there, anybody that's been there. When you're standing by the thirteenth Green or you're near Amen Corner, it's heaven. And I just you know, one of the things that motivated me to write the book is I just wanted to know more about it. I wanted to go back, and I did a couple of years after. You know, my doctor said, no, you really can't go. You can't fly. You don't have a good immune system. You know. She was hemming and horn and eventually I say in the book, I say, you know, like most people don't know a lot about golf, the majority of people out there, but they know what the Masters is. And you know, she's seventy years old, my oncologist, she has no clue about golf, but she knows what the Masters is. You know, she recognizes the theme song and she'll watch on Sunday. That's the only golf she ever watches. So she gave me permission and we ended up going back and I said, you know, that's when my mental healing began. You know, the doctors that treated me did a phenomenal job. I'm forever grateful to what they did, but it just beats you down spiritually and mentally, and for me, everybody's got something different. That's one of the things I really wanted to do. So call it an obsession about Augusta National or the Masters, whatever you want, but that's one of the things I dreamed of and I've been working on the book for three years and it's just been a dream project for me because I can't get enough things Augusta. I just love everything about what they do because, as you know, you've been there, and hopefully you know, people listening if they haven't been able to go and keep trying the lottery, eventually you'll win. I won the lottery last year for the first time ever. It took fifteen years to win, so there's hope for anybody to go. And it's I think it should be a life goal of anybody because you know, Disneyland is for kids, but Augusta's for adults. And it's hard to describe right, as much as I try to do it in the book, unless you have actually been on property and experience at firsthand, it's very difficult to relate that, which is why people are so insane when they come back from the Masters and they lose their minds when they go into the pro shop, because it's like you're a kid at a candy story. You're like, I finally made it, and I might never come back. So I'm going to buy everything, and I'm going to give a gift to everybody I know. Yep, it's not uncommon, Fred, not uncommon.
Speaker 1: Well, good gee, that makes me feel better. Well, here's a little gift for you. John.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome, best song in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there are probably I can think of three life goals for golfers. One would be a hole in one yep. Two getting to witness the Masters in person. Yeah, And to me, my ultimate one now is someday shooting my ag.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's a good one too. Yeah. Yeah. So it's.
Speaker 1: I hope you're well now, Yes, thank you. I'm so sorry about all the troubles that you've been through and.
Speaker 2: I consider myself lucky in many respects. But thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, and I consider myself lucky because I got a chance to talk to you again and about this book again. I think if anybody listening, if in fact you have or are part of a business that you want to help grow, yeah, to look at this book and take it seriously. It's called The Augusta Principles.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, thank you, Fred.
Speaker 1: Please please share with us how to find more about the book about you where to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a website. I think I sent the link with this episode. There's a website called the Augusta Principles that people could visit or google or the books available on am on a lot of people buy it on Amazon. But thank you for that, Fred.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, John, it was great to catch up again after so long. I can't believe the Gulf Smarter is still going on and that we were able to reconnect after so many years.
Speaker 2: Ye. Well, your podcast is so good, that's why you've been doing it for so long.
Speaker 1: Fred, No, I'm just I've got that, you know, the OCD thing that we talked about with Clip Roberts, like can't stop just can't stop because if I do, I'll never come back. I gotta keep going. But it's it's been an incredible journey, and I'm so glad to have you help me put it all together. On both sides.
Speaker 2: Oh, pleasure is mine.
Speaker 1: Thanks again, Thank you, Fred