Speaker 1: Good evening, Gary Jeff Walker on this Monday night, October fourteenth, twenty twenty four And after all that dose of masculinity and Bengals line in the aftermath of the second Bengals victory of the season, a discussion about men and masculinity, and you know, the NFL, regardless of all of the little wolf culture things that are happening in our society, is still a bastion of men being.
Speaker 2: Men and boys being boys.
Speaker 1: And it's important for society structure that men be men and boys. That doesn't mean hitting each other in the mouth. It doesn't mean being loudish or being overbearing. But to be a man or a boy in America is becoming harder and harder. I think you look around and you hear about all the calls to tame toxic masculinity and all these other things to trying to tell us that there's no difference between the sexes. There's a very important difference between men and women. And to kind of highlight that the executive manager of the International Council for Men and Boys, he is a partner in the law firm DeMarco and DeMarco PC and the founder of the law center one of the few lawyers with an advanced law degree in trial advocacy from Temple Law also operates the Law Center YouTube channel, which is a free video library for self represented litigans and family court and anyway. Lawrence DeMarco, welcome to the Nightcap. Tell me about the International Council for Men and Boys and what you see your role is in twenty twenty four America.
Speaker 3: Certainly, Gary, thank you so much for having me on this evening.
Speaker 4: It's a real pleasure to be invited. So, the International Council for Men and Boys is.
Speaker 3: A five h one C three and we are addressing and raising awareness to twelve items of male advantage and the wide recent reaching consequences for families, the economy, and even national security.
Speaker 4: The way we're trying to do this first.
Speaker 3: Is raising awareness for November, which is Men's Equality Month. There's March is Women's History Month, and just like women have Mother's Day and Dad's at Father's Day, women have history months. And now in November we are celebrating Men's Equality Month to raise awareness and addrest these twelve items of male disadvantage.
Speaker 4: Every time you have heard gender.
Speaker 5: Equality, they have been you know, you think of women However, and this is all science and data based, there are now twelve areas of male disadvantage that's really causing devastating consequences to society.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about how how this has affected the labor force in particular, because the economy is a huge issue in this election year, as it always is in a major presidential election year.
Speaker 2: It's it's the economy stupid.
Speaker 1: How how has this disadvantage affected America's labor force lawrence?
Speaker 3: So, Senator Marco Rubio issued a landmark report called The State of the Working and Non working Man that highlighted the alarming decline in male labor force participation in recent date. In recent decades, the absence of men from the workforce has led to a reduction in overall economic productivity, increases in welfare dependency, and of course, a shrinking tax base.
Speaker 4: This is not just the United States.
Speaker 3: This is a global situation, and for instance, Italy and Israel have also reported significant drops in mail workforce participation, and a lot of that comes from education. More than one hundred countries report lower levels of male secondary and graduate education enrollment and completion.
Speaker 4: High school dropouts compared to girls, and.
Speaker 3: Education cost to society is thirteen point nine percent over a decade according to.
Speaker 2: The World Bank.
Speaker 1: All Right, families, and we all have seen the results of men not being in the home with their children and being able to provide for their families. So you've got to really focus on men being men in their familial role as patriarchs and the light.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 3: With fewer men able to fulfill their roles as providers, men are less willing to enter into marriage number one. And when the fewer people getting married and staying single for longer, there's an increased rate of poverty, mental health issues, and of course general breakdown and family cohesion.
Speaker 4: It is documented that father absence.
Speaker 3: The other thing is in child custody court when there's a joint, when there's a soul custody dispute, when they're fighting over custody.
Speaker 4: Men only get soul or primary.
Speaker 3: Custody fifteen percent of the times and then often have to fight, and they don't have the resources fight just to have their share of custody. And father absence causes, especially in boys, reduced success in almost every area for mental health, from school, from children who have successful relationships and dating, drug addiction, every type of addiction, video games, pornography.
Speaker 4: So fathers provide stability to both their boys and daughters.
Speaker 1: All right, real quickly, I'm kind of running short on time, but that's my fault. I was bloviating at the beginning of this National security The US Army reports a thirty five percent decline in mail recruits in the ten years between twenty thirteen and twenty twenty three, and says that traditional military masculinity wants a driver from recruitment, is now less appealing to young men. I guess the question, Lawrence DeMarco, is how is the International Council for Men and Boys? And we know what the problems are. Can you give me in a minute and a half nutshell solutions and things that you guys are working towards.
Speaker 3: Sure, I would say, listen, this is you know for this is the ninety second version generally raising awareness because every time that you've heard of equality, you always think of gender equality for women. There's billions of dollars asserted, you know, set aside for women rights and rightfully show because it's rightfully so, because you know, women in parts of the world do have to face things like course marriage, mandatory hit jobs, and they are permitted to be educated, but we are trying to change the narrative that when you think of gender equality for men. There are statistically based data supported twelve items of male inequality. They're on our website Men in Boys dot Net, and they range in things like education because men are struggling in education, suicide. Men commit suicide at five times the rate of women or at least young teams anyway. And at work hazardous workplace, men are fifteen times more likely to die in the workplace.
Speaker 4: There's a myth of male.
Speaker 3: Higher wages they work or hazardous positions, which is why it appears that they there might be an imbalance.
Speaker 4: So they're on our website.
Speaker 3: You can see those twelve items, and we have detailed solutions that we don't have time to get in ninety seconds.
Speaker 4: But we have detailed solutions on each one.
Speaker 3: For instance, for false allegations, restore the presumption of innocence, for problems in family court, shared parenting, an act of presumption of equal parenting for the benefit of not just men, for children. Everything we propose will benefit society as a whole and women as well.
Speaker 4: This is about the benefit of health.
Speaker 3: And society and not just men, but for women and children as well.
Speaker 2: All right, what's the website real quickly, Lawrence?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 4: Certainly Men in Boys dot Net.
Speaker 3: You'll see the twelve items, and there's a click through for each item where you can see the statistical support for each problems.
Speaker 1: For each Laurence Tomarco, thank you for your precious time tonight, and hopefully we'll be making some progress and people will be opening up their eyes to see what's going on and how important the role of men is in our society in America and the world.
Speaker 4: Thank you, sir, Gary, thank you so much for having me as well.
Speaker 1: You bet we'll we'll talk to Jennifer's Strickland on the women's side about hearing the voices of women and taking back who they are.
Speaker 2: In just a moment on the Nightcap Homeowners the Prince.
Speaker 1: To Marco from the International Council of Men and Boys, it's time to hear from a woman.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Jennifer Strickland is a podcaster, author, former model and a wife and mother, and she has written this wonderful book called I Am a Woman. We had Jennifer on a few months back, but again I think it's an important message to continue to convey that women and men in the roles that we believe God cast them in are so crucial to the maintain of the maintenance and the thriving of our society and our lives here on earth.
Speaker 2: And Jennifer believes that too.
Speaker 1: She wrote the book I Am a Woman, and she wants her voice to be heard to uphold the dignity of womanhood with clarity and compassion. And she joins us, now, Jennifer Strickland, how are you.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great, Thanks so thanks so much for having me on the show. This is an important conversation.
Speaker 2: Really is.
Speaker 1: And what Lawrence DeMarco was just the point he was making and his organization makes, is that the redefining of masculinity, that men are at many disadvantages right now, and that that women should women should have their voice and their say, but men's voices are important as well. There's a case of a University of Cans's professor who was placed on leave after saying that men who don't vote for Kamala.
Speaker 2: Harris should be shot as well as a woman.
Speaker 1: How do you how do you read that kind of I mean, thank god, well, thank god that the woke university crowd in academia saw this as a problem.
Speaker 2: But just your answer to that.
Speaker 8: First, well, I'm glad they thought it of the problem. But that is very indicative of a brainwashing movement. And that's one thing that I'm trying to get across whenever I do these interviews is that the transactivist movement and the whole woke movement is a thought reform movement. And thought reform movements tell people that if you disagree with us, we will cancel you, punish you, or suit you. Right, and so it's really unfortunate that so much of that has gotten into the universities, because the truth is most of it goes unchecked, and kids are being silenced and they're actually being said of all of this woke nonsense, you know, misgendering and all of these new terms. It's part of a thought reform movement. It's a brainwashing movement, and that means people who question it are punished. And so we've got to teach the next generation how to recognize thought reform when they see it.
Speaker 1: Well, and you make the point in I Am a Woman taking Back our Name, is that the true definition, traditional definition, and the Christian definition and the name for women, and the role for women is as a guardian.
Speaker 2: Correct. Can you explain that for me again?
Speaker 8: Absolutely? I mean it's really if you really take a very close look the book of Genesis, we see that Adam was created to guard and steward the garden, okay, the land, and the woman was created to guard and steward Adam, which at that time was mankind. The words that God uses in Genesis the e is er connecto and Adam, you know, he gets tempted by the tree, right, God says, oh, here's this tree, don't eat from it. Right after that moment is when he says, you're going to need and here's the Hebrew term and as air connecto. And God says it twice, You're going to need an as air connecto. Those words mean guardian, face to face, someone who's face to face with you and will actually oppose you if you're going the wrong way, someone who's side by side with you, who's going to help you and you cannot help yourself. And we know woman was really created to channel man's energies towards right to towards taking care of her and taking care of a family. So unfortunately, the feminist movement exalted themselves as superior as men. And we also have a history of unhealthy patriarchy that pretended like woman was a lower being. And neither one dominates in the creation narrative, and the creation narrative we rule and take dominion and subdue together side by side as equals. And it's really a beautiful picture of Christ in the church. And it's really sad that, you know, right now, men are being emasculated because a feminist movement emasculated them. It said they weren't important. It said that their voice didn't matter, even in the life of their own child, their own descendants. Men in this country have no say. That is so evil. Biblically speaking, the responsibility for the protection of the family is on the man's shoulders. So by telling him that he has no words, he has no voice, he has no value, we actually strip away what he was created to do.
Speaker 1: Do you think that people are are some people are blind to the fact that because they're a woman, because they are that gender, they should just automatically vote for the woman in the presidential race.
Speaker 8: I mean, well again, it's yeah, this is just this is so demeaning. And let's just put it this way. I'm not going to vote for a woman who can't define what a woman is, thank you.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 8: The first woman, her name Eve means life giving. Woman's was created to bring life. So any woman who wants to be the head woman over all the girls in the nation, if she does understand that we were created to bring life, body, soul, and spirit. We bring life to the home, we bring life to the husband, we bring life to the community, we bring life to the nation, we bring life to babies.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 8: Any woman who doesn't understand that that is the meaning of our name has no business ruling over the daughters in this nation.
Speaker 1: And the Democrats number one issue that that they win on, sadly is the issue of unfettered abortion on demand, and that is what's that's the Democrat Party's platform in this election. And it just seems rather it's not about giving life.
Speaker 2: It's exactly the opposite.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 8: It's just like they have done with men. You know, men were created to provide and protect, including the their descendants, their children in the womb, so that's been stripped from them. And women were created to bring life and that's been stripped. So they this party strips us of our true identity. And then we wonder, you know, why do we have all these girls with eating disorders and cutting and these kids are, you know, struggling with mental illness. The families are breaking apart. It's because all of these mantras like smash the patriarchy, sex, work is work, my body, my choice. If you break down all of those mantras, they're all wrong, they're all evil, they're all unhealthy in the relationship between the sexes and the relationship between a mother and her child. And so this this government system, you know, we see a government system in the Book of Revelation and the woman who rides the beast. They exalt sexuality, they exalt all these things that take people away from God's good design for marriage and family.
Speaker 2: Jennifer Strickland.
Speaker 8: So we have to keep exposing it, we have to keep talking.
Speaker 1: About it, and you can read more about it. And I am a woman taking back our name. Jennifer Strickland. Thank you for being on the Night Camp tonight.
Speaker 8: Thanks so much for having me on this day.
Speaker 1: As the attacks from Lebanon continued via Hesbelah into Israel and this war that is being totally funded by the country of Iran, to its many surrogates. And here we are just past the year date October seventh, of the heinous terrorist attack on the country of Israel in America. Ever since those attacks occurred, the anti Semitic hate has ramped up to just deafening decibel levels, and the attacks on Jews, especially in New York City, have gone through the roof. And so to talk about that and where we go from here and why this is and how it could affect the election very definitely is Dean Glemas. He started his career as a police officer in the New York City Police Department, five years on patrol narcotics officer in the Bronx. He transferred to Rockland County and the Sheriff's Office Police Division, and he retired from the Sheriff's Office Bureau of Criminal Investigation as a senior detective after twenty years of service and founded Global Security and Investigative Services about sixteen years ago in two thousand and eight, and he continues in that role today. And we're talking about the anti Semitic violence and the crime being committed against Jews in this country and how it has even further spiked since the October seventh attacks on Israel a little over a year or ago. Dean Glemis, welcome to the night Cap. It's great to have you tonight.
Speaker 11: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 6: Gary.
Speaker 2: All Right, So, first.
Speaker 1: And foremost, and just a couple of things that I saw earlier today, the talk show commentator Trevor Noah compared the October seventh attacks on Israel to the American Revolution and called the people who rebelled against the British terrorists and they kind of he kind of said that Israel was attacked by freedom fighters who were just like our American revolutionaries. I mean, I don't know what history book this guy is reading from, Dean, but oh my, the comparison is not there. It's just not there. This has been Israel. The country has been Israel's homeland. It's it's been the land of milk and honey for the Jewish people for over two thousand years, and it was violently and senselessly attacked by inner locals. Here's the comparison that would work for me. If America, the United States of America was set up and the British forces tried to take it away, then the British forces would be terrorists. But the Iranian proxies who attacked Israel are nothing more than terrorists. And to compare American colonialists with Iran and Hezbollah and Hamas and the Huti rebels is just unthinkable. But that's the feeling out there, and I think it continues to fuel this kind of hate.
Speaker 11: Your thoughts, well, I think it's absolutely ludicrous that kind of comparison. I don't believe the American colonists lit babies on fire, British babies on fire, or stuffed them in the ovens and made their parents watch to burn to death. This is they're trying to humanize this part behavior in this barbaric group who's been Hamas has been designated a terrorist organization by the United States government since the nineteen nineties, as well as Hesbelah, you know, trying to give these guys a human face. The human side is despicable. And this is all being done because the Palestinian people are being displaced by Israel's war on terror in Gaza. But instead of putting the blame on the Israeli people, the press should be putting the blame where it belongs, which is on the Hamas terrorists which are using these civilians as human shields and putting them in harm's way by putting their secret bases and their military weapons storage underneath the apartment complexes and schools.
Speaker 2: You know, no one's calling them hospitals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, correct.
Speaker 11: So I don't blame Israelis or you know everybody who tells me, oh, well, they made a new really state after World War Two and it was really a Palestinese people property. Well, let's look back at the Bible and Jesus Christ was a Jew two thousand years ago. Anywhere Jerusalem, you know, there were Jews there two thousand years ago as well as Palestinians. You know, it's it's it's been a multicultural area for eons.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, let's worry about the Semantics later. But to say it's a Palestinian people, there's no such thing as a Palestinian culture. There's not a Palestinian language of They're Arabs who were shunned by other Arabs, and they called themselves Palestinians thanks to the Romans actually calling this place Palestine just to basically wank off the Jews. And you know, that is the history of the term Palestinian. So I don't even call them Palestinians. I know they call themselves that, and that's fine. As of said September thirtieth, there's been a seventy four percent increase in hate crimes against Jews compared to the same period last year. This is just in New York City. Here's the next question, Dean. Why is New York City such a focal point. It's happening other places around the country. And we've seen the protests on college campuses and the violence that has broken out caused by the anti Jewish, anti Semitic protesters. But New York City seems to be the like ground zero and I hate to use that term in relation to NYC, but it seems to be ground zero for these anti Semitic attacks and hate crimes that are being committed.
Speaker 2: Why so, do you.
Speaker 11: Think I think just for to share number of Jews that live in New York, New York has been a beacon welcoming people from around the world and a big Jewish community here in New York, largest outside of Israel, you know, in a place called Rockland County where I was detective. The only place where there's more Jewish people per capita is Israel. We have a large, large Jewish population, and unfortunately, we also have a large group of politicians who are spineless and refuse to stand up and call all of this what it is, anti Semitic hate. They're allowing these this anti Semitic vitriol to be spread without confronting it and standing up to it, and they're being cowards for political expediency. You know, they're scared about upsetting you know, a Muslim or people with anti anti Israeli sentiment. They're scared to stand up to them, and it's disgraceful. We need some We need some politicians here in New York who would shut these illegal protests down as soon as they start and not let them get to the point where they're out of control and they're no longer manageable. The second a group comes onto a college campus in New York and puts up tens illegally and starts protesting and they're outside antelopers, are not even part of the student body, exactly the second you let them fester and grow and it's out of control, the second attend goes up on your campus, how about this, rip it down and throw them off campus or arrest them for trespass.
Speaker 6: Well, these problems would go away.
Speaker 1: These college presidents like at Columbia University and lost their job and should have. They're not in many cases, or they didn't in the last go round. Let the authorities come in onto their campus is like, no, we're a sovereign state. We're going to take care of it ourselves. And they didn't do it. The other odd irony I find Dean gallimis in What's Happening in New York City is that New Yorkers hired a former police a former police officer, police chief I guess was Eric Adams of chief.
Speaker 2: I don't know about his law enforcement.
Speaker 1: He was captain, a former New York City police captain as their mayor to be the tough on law and order crime guy. And we haven't seen much from Eric Adams, I mean even before the indictments. But I mean, isn't it weird how you hire somebody because he's going to be the tough on crime answer to Deblasio and he winds up being just as bad or worse in the face of all this. Don't you think you're talking about the leadership and it has been severely lacking obviously.
Speaker 11: Well, I think Mayor adams hands are And I'm a little fan of Mayor Adams, but mind you, but I think his hands are tied. We have such a liberal New York City Council it's almost impossible to get anything done in terms of law and order. Hey, more than half the city council was for defunding the police. Another big problem we have is in New York we used to have a law against wearing masks in public, especially at public events and protests, and that went by the wayside with COVID and these people. COVID's now over, but these people are allowed to wear head scarves at these protests, and all that does is in bold in these people to take the next step and you know, cause violence, assault, people say, you know, completely anti Semitic things without fear of retribution or you know, explaining their actions at a later time. So we should reinstate the face covering band at all protests and demonstrations in New York City, which is the law we had right up until twenty and twenty, and start enforcing that. And you'll see that these young people that just you know, want to cause trouble, just want something to do, want a Saturday night, you know, they wear masks and they go around and destroy property because they think they can get away with it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we saw the same things and it was about that time at COVID with with BLM. To me, the BLM protesters and you mentioned the interlopers on college campuses that aren't even students. There's they're setting up encampments and pretending that the student body is with them one hundred percent while Jewish students are being attacked and being kept from going to class that they're paying a lot of money to go to class for. But to me, the BLM protesters and the pro Hamas pro Terrists protesters.
Speaker 2: Many of them are the same people, are they not.
Speaker 11: Yes, there's some rebel rousers that have been seen at multiple protests in multiple places. We had people blocking the Brooklyn Bridge pro Palactitian protesters. They were arrested that day, and then they were arrested later on in the day at another event out of college. And again that's because they've taken all the teeth with this new bail reform Act. They've taken all the you're getting arrested, they're getting a ticket and released, so fifteen minutes after they're arrested back on the streets again protesting. They know there's no repercussions with the way New York has set up their whole bail Reform Act, and it's just compounding the police department's problems in managing these previously manageable protests.
Speaker 1: As a law enforcement and as a security professional, Dean glemis not only eliminating the face coverings at protests, But I mean, where do you come down on this no cash bail. It's just it has made the justice system all over the country where it's been trying a revolving door of recidivism crime that actually it's none of this is victimless.
Speaker 2: I mean, so it's a.
Speaker 1: Victimless crime if I shoplift nine and fifty dollars worth of merchandise, which California is now reconsidering with a Proposition thirty six, that's on the ballot there. But I mean, you've got to do something about the no cash bail laws.
Speaker 4: Don't you.
Speaker 11: You've got to remember there's a trifecta of mistakes made in New York that are causing all of our problems.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 11: The first one is no masks or protests. Second one is the new District Attorney Alvin Bragg.
Speaker 6: Day one of his.
Speaker 11: Time in office, he states he's not no longer going to prosecute trespads, shoplifting, resisting arrest, or minor drug offenses. So you're no longer going to prosecute resisting arrests. So if you were in the street and a cop told you put your hands on the wall and put your hands behind your back, you're under arrest. You know you're not going to get arrested if you try to resist.
Speaker 6: What are you going to try to do? It's human nature.
Speaker 11: Ron, You've created chaos. I have clients in New York City. We have trespass problems. We have homeless people sleeping in my clients buildings and their lobbies and they can't get rid of them. The cops won't even come anymore. So just you go south, shop wherever you want. You want to smoke crack in the lobby of a bank, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: We aren't going to do anything.
Speaker 11: It's madness.
Speaker 6: And this has all happened all within a year and a half, two years of each other.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's been so quick.
Speaker 6: Recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: And with Alvin Bragg in charge of justice in New York City. It's like, I guess, I guess you would get arrested for being a Trump supporter, because apparently that was his major goal was to get Donald Trump.
Speaker 11: He he said, so, well, let's let's let's look at let's look at the state of Flauda real quick. If we haven't there, yeah, sure, you know, we had the we had the head prosecutor for the city of Tampa. He used to enforce laws he didn't agree with. And what did Ron DeSantis do? The governor He said, well, you're either going to take that back and enforce them, or I'm going to have you move from office. And the guy refused, and DeSantis removed him from office. When I was a cop, one of the major things they taught you in the police academy was you need to enforce the law and take your personal opinions.
Speaker 6: Out of it.
Speaker 9: It's just because.
Speaker 11: Alvin Bragg doesn't agree with the law on the books in the state of New York, he has no legal authority, did not enforce it or prosecuted it anymore. He's doing is illegal and nobody will call him one. Well, when I was a cop, if I didn't agree with abortion an last thing I do or not. I mean, this is a hot topic from saying if I didn't agree with the abortion, or a cop didn't agree with abortion, he couldn't refuse to arrest an abortion protester or breaking the law outside of an abortion clinic. He had to arrest them. If you don't agree with me, if you think marijuana should be legal, as a cop when it was illegal, you couldn't choose not to arrest the person for possessing marijuana. You know, if you think it's okay to commit domestic violence doesn't mean you can you can choose what laws you arrest pe before. Don't same thing with a prosecutor. He can't pick and choose what he thinks should be prosecutable.
Speaker 6: Again, it's illegal, and no one want to call him out of it.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Ron de Santas and Florida, and you look at comparison with Kathy Hochel in New York and there you go. Dean glemas Thank you so much again, Dean glemasu the founder of Global Security and Investigation Services, and thank you for being on with me to talk about this. It's a it's a serious issue and I think it very well should and will affect the Jewish vote coming up November fifth, don't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And the Jewish vote has traditionally always been democratic. They have been the biggest reliable democratic voting block in history probably And a lot of the Jewish communia that I speak to are voting Republican this year if they had it.
Speaker 2: All right, Dean, thank you so much for your time tonight and good luck.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 12: Gary appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bet, it's a nightcap, and it.
Speaker 1: Is a nightcap on seven hundred WLW and joining us our old friend Dave Hatter in the Internet of Things world in which we live. He is constantly sounding the alarm about things you need to look out for. You never expected, but we kind of have covered this first topic before, Dave.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, by the way.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks Scary Jeff, always good to be here.
Speaker 1: And the Chinese electric vehicles. You just had an article out in the Northern Kentucky Tribune today earlier that people can can peruse if they want to find out more about Chinese vehicles and the threats they're in for American citizens.
Speaker 2: What did you write and what do you think?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm sure it's not going to come as a surprise you at all. Gary, Jeff, you know me pretty well that I'm not a fan of the rolling surveillance devices that we're all in now, these new modern cars. And then when you couple the idea that you're going to have a car made by your adversaries that is not only essentially a rolling surveillance device full of microphones and cameras and speakers and capturing all kinds of data, but that that could be not only sent back to the People's Republic of China, but the car itself could be weaponized. And I'll come back to that in a minute. It's pretty disconcerting. But let me back into that for a second. I know we've talked about this before. So Mozilla, the people that make the Firefox web browser, have a website called Privacy Not Included. I encourage people to check it out. It's a great place to go when you're thinking about buying some sort of so called smart device, some Internet of Things device, to see like if they've taken a look at at it and whether it's you know, privacy friendly or not. Now here's a spoiler alert. We're too long didn't re alert most of these things, regardless of what category fits into doorbell, thermostata, TV whatever, they're all privacy and security dumpster fires. Big study just came out recently about how your smart TVs spying on you. There's been more revelations about these Chinese vacuum sweepers spying on you. Again, people can go see for themselves, but if you did start with privacy not included. Last year they did a big expose on modern cars not necessarily evs and not necessarily made in China. They looked at all the major brands, right of US cars, European cars, and when you look at what they had to say, I am directly quoting, okay, from their website, all twenty five car brands we researched earned our privacy not included warning label, making cars the official worst category of products for privacy that we have ever reviewed.
Speaker 6: That as a direct quote.
Speaker 9: From the people who are behind the obviously not included site and Mozilla okay, tod that gets you some kind of idea, and when you go read that, I think most people will be absolutely stunned at the kind of information these cars are trying to collect. And once you plug your phone into it to sink up your contacts and make phone calls and listen to music and so forth. You know, all of that's being captured much less you're driving habits, et cetera. So anyhow, when you have that as a background and you see what they're saying about American car manufacturers, I mentioned in my op ed, recently the news came out that Ford has patented a system to eavesdrop on you in your car to sell ads. I'd leak to it in this article. And then GM has been you know, roundly criticized and thankfully has apparently stopped doing it. Using this information they're collecting from newer cars, they're selling it to insurance companies. You know, deep down inside all the stuff you sign when you buy the car, apparently you're signing off on your rights. And this is different than like you go to all State and you choose to participate in a program that will help reduce your insurance breams by plugging a device into your car. It is collecting the data and selling it and then you know you're getting canful to your premiums. You're going up based on your driving it. And this is all well documented, by the way.
Speaker 6: So when you take.
Speaker 9: Those things into consideration, and these are theoretically friendly American companies, right. Imagine what an adversarial company or a company controlled by our adversaries in China. And I remind people I link to this as well.
Speaker 2: China has a law that.
Speaker 9: Dictates the Chinese companies must turn over any information they want to the Chinese government. I get, I want to it in there you can go see for themselves. So now imagine you buy a Chinese EV because it's dirt chy and it's collecting all this information about you everywhere you go, everything you do, everyone you talk to, sending all that back to China. That's bad enough. But then when you think about Cary Jeff and I know I'm going along here, but the possibility also well documented. You know, there's a Wired story back in twenty fifteen where hackers took over a youth Grand Cherokee and it caused the recall. Imagine if at four PM on Friday afternoon a command was sent out to Chinese vehicles to just accelerate or accelerate into a project that was mapped in the car's coordinates. I mean, this is not far effected. And by the way, as crazy as probably sounds to everyone, the Biden administration has finally gotten around to coming out against Chinese evs. I also linked to that in there as well. So, yeah, this is a real threat and it's crazy to think we would allow these rolling spy devices in our country based on our current relations with them.
Speaker 1: Well maybe maybe Trump, if he gets into office, will impose one thousand percent terrify on Chinese eviees don't. I don't think one hundred percent is enough because you know there are people, Dave, regardless of all of these inherent and obvious dangers, that people are going to see the price tag and they're just going to do it anyway.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think that's probably true unfortunately carriage. Yeah, so you know, A, I appreciate the opportunity to chat about this with you to try to raise awareness. Yeah, I appreciate the Tribune run of us off ed. I hope more more papers around the state and the region and the country pick it up. And you know, I'm always sharing this stuff on x and LinkedIn, so you know, the.
Speaker 1: Next yeah, the next the next story. Dave Hatter is so again something that we covered a few years back, and talking about the inherent dangers of America's infrastructure and how water systems and electrical grids and everything that we take for granted on a daily basis can be easily affected by hackers and turn that water supply into poison or turn our lights off, I mean any number of things, our food supply, whatever. American Water shut down online services after they had a cyber attack. This is just another another possibility of affecting something that we all need and we all take for granted and think is always going to be there one day it's not. And you can't live without water, So tell me what you know about this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, this is this is pretty disturbing for the reasons you stated to your point, you can't live without water. You know, the FBI has identified sixteen critical infrastructure sectors, water obviously being a critical component, the electric being a critical component, and when you look at statements by the FBI and other Homeland to Sense related agencies, right DHS says even the e PA. The e PA has gotten involved with these wastewater and water plants with warnings and guidance for how to secure themselves. You know, you can't live too long without water. It's pretty critical and Obviously, electricity makes it possible to pump the water and all that sort of, and so you know, a lot of this stuff is interconnected. If you can knock out the electric grigs for any substantial period of time, however you did it, emp electric vehicles that drive into substations and take them out, cyber attack whatever, you know, it's going to have a potentially catastrophic effect. You know, the good news Gary Jeff, is that there's more and more emphasis and awareness around this, I think, both with the general public, the people that run these operations, the government.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: The bad news is when you look at reporting or you know reports from the FBI. You know, FBI Director Ray has said he believes that the Chinese Communist Party the PRC, has roughly a fifty to one advantage in terms of hackers and capabilities to our capabilities. And when you think about how dependent we are on all this stuff and how interconnected everything is, and we think about the third party risk to this. So you know, some of the biggest hacks so far, Target for example, a few years ago, we're not because Target themselves were hacked. A third party vendor doing work for Target was hacked and the hackers leveraged that third party vendor to get into target systems. The same even if even if your average you know, water utility or electric utility is doing all the right things, it's entirely possible they have a vendor that gets hacked. So again, I hate to be the doomsday guy on this stuff, Jeff, but I mean, we just simply have got to take this seriously. We've got to take this seriously. We've got to put money into this. We have to insist that these organizations are doing, you know, the right things to try to protect our water supply. So it's you know, American Water apparently supplies water to about fourteen million people and about fourteen different states, including the military installations. This is a pretty good sized operation. You know, they had to take some systems offline. Now there's no indication at this point, but the water supply itself was impacted. But you know, this is one of many water plants, including the Ultimore Water Plant Florida, where that was not the case thankfully, then one was hurt where you know, eventually, whether you shut these things down or you contaminate the water. You know, if we don't get real serious about especially these critical infrastructure type of operations. Something terrible is going to happen. It's just a matter of time. And you know, we have got to demand this of our representatives. They need to demand this of these organizations need to be making You know, we seem to have money for all kinds of things that do little to protect your your family, your business, are our society. And yet you know, these kind of things always seem to be at the bottom of the barrel, which I don't understand because of the the existential nature of some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: What I have, what I've always wondered, Dave Patter, is.
Speaker 1: Why when they installed all these smart systems and put everything online, did they not retain some of the old analog in infrastructure and have that as a redundant backup if they have to take something offline for something like a cyber attack or a hack that could poison millions of people's water. I don't know what Northern Kentucky Water District has in their fold. We both live in Northern Kentucky, but I think it'd be a smart idea anytime you institute new technology to leave as much of the old technology around just in case. I mean, don't you think that's kind of part of the answer is to maybe rebuild it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was gonna say my guest Garret Jeff, but I'll tell you for what it's worth. With the Northern Kentucky Water District, you know, I talked to them pretty rarely about this stuff. I know they take it seriously. Now I'm not pretty to you know what they're doing about it internally, but I can tell you they take it seriously, which is good. You know. I think in many cases probably some of the manual stuff is there. I mean, just digging a little bit deeper into this particular story because on to say, this incident follows a similar one that impacted the water treatment facility at Arkansas City, Cansas, which is forced to switch the manual operations after a weekend cyber attacks. So my guess is in most cases they probably do have manual overrides for this stuff. And you know, the reason why most of this sort of automation has added is because in theory, it helps you be you know, more productive, more efficient at lowers your costs. It gets you better insight into what's going on. You know, when you have sensors and all these you know, electronic systems in place that can do things, automatically, adjust things automatically gives you better metrics. You know, I think you can make a strong case for why these things make sense. The downside, though, is as we become increasingly reliant on this, and we eliminate manual systems, you know, or fall back type processes, and if we don't take the security of these things seriously. And I would argue the productivity benefits, the efficiency benefits should be way in a critical infrastructure situation like water should be way secondary to the safety and security of the equipment the water apply, you know, their rate payers, et cetera. Amen, I'm you know, I'm saying when you look at the legacy systems a lot of these people have, and the fact that a lot of this stuff was, we said so many kids before, designed at a time when these kinds of concerns were less relevant. You know, I don't think we're there, and I think we really had got to as a nation get absolutely laser focused on protecting this critical infrastructure all right, before something terrible happened.
Speaker 1: Let's address these next two topics rather quickly, because we've gone on quite a bit.
Speaker 2: I need to have a gomer pile.
Speaker 1: Surprise, surprise surprise for this segment. Study finds TikTok mutes descent against China. Isn't TikTok in a way a wholly owned subsidiary by the People's Republic of China.
Speaker 9: Well, well it is. And it goes back to what we were saying on it about Chinese electric vehicles. I mean, people have got to understand whether it's a software app, a platform, a product that's got software in it like a Chinese be if it comes from China, the manufacturers are under control of the Chinese Communist Party and they are required by Chinese want to basically turn over information or do whatever they're told. Could to be planning backdoors and this stuff for China to have access to to use to weaponize a vehicle or whatever. Yeah, they absolutely could. You know, you and I have been on the TikTok thing for a long time, and you know TikTok theoretically is going to be banned. You know, I could go on and on and on about the privacy and security problems of TikTok that go back many many years and are well documented, Like a TikTok heating feature that ties into this story, which allows them to since we you know, amplify any message they want while making it appear like it's just naturally occurring on the app. And you know this this study here, people can go rate it themselves. This story is from the monitor. You know, here's the long the shirt study. For the study, researcher set up twenty four accounts on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube, simulating sixteen order users in the US testing the algorithms these platforms using four keywords link to the CCP's human rights violations Weiger, Xinjang, Tibet, and Tianamen. And you know it goes on to show how TikTok seems to be suppressing these messages because obviously it's not in the interest of the Chinese comins Party. So you know, I just would keep reminding people when you use TikTok, you do it at your own peril. Look at go to the Apple app Store, look at the privacy label for TikTok and see the information that's collecting from your device, and then ask yourself, why in the world would you want them to be able to collect things like your location YEP or the contact information out of your phone when you know they're obviously not operating in the best entrance of the American citizens. So people should go read this for themselves. I've shared it, you can see it on in my social media.
Speaker 1: Well, you know a lot of people like me are more and more shouting America first. It's no surprise that the Communist Chinese Party would be shouting CCP first. Sure, let's go to this last topic with a couple of minutes to discuss twenty three and me.
Speaker 2: You know that where you can trace.
Speaker 1: Your roots and find out where you came from.
Speaker 2: They are in the brink of what bankruptcy apparently?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what happens to all the DNA they've collected. They got mountain loads of data on citizens from all over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just out there.
Speaker 9: What's funny, Gary Jeffers, when you started with the gomer pal, surprise, surprise, I thought you were going for this story because I could have predicted a long time ago that it would be a terrible idea to send your DNA off to a company like this, because who knows where it will ultimately end up. And you know, at one time, twenty three and Me was a you know, a unicorn six billion dollar evaluation. But like they found with other companies similar to this. You know, once you have done this, once you as an individual, well, what do you need twenty three and me for again? And the answer is you don't. So apparently you know, they're having a lot of business problems. And now the question becomes, Okay, if you've surprised supplied this incredibly sensitive data about yourself, what happens.
Speaker 10: If they go out of business?
Speaker 9: Who is it sold to?
Speaker 12: What do they do with it?
Speaker 9: To do to they sell it to you? This, in large part, to me, speaks to the lack of a national privacy law, but also speaks to the idea that while these things are cool and I get it, you know, the idea that you're going to send off something where let's say, this data did fall into the hands of the Chinese Communist Party. Now I'm not a scientist, and again I hate to always be the Deems Day tentral hack guy, but you know, we've talked about bioweapons and so forth, and you know, customizing viruses and so forth to attack certain you know, traits in people. I mean, this is not out of the realm of out of the realm of science at this point. Imagine all this data of fifteen million Americans being handed off to them and how they might be able to use that in ways that you couldn't possibly think of. Could you be potentially excluded from jobs in the future because now they have your DNA data, I know you're more likely to get a certain disease or whatever. Yeah, yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 1: The fact I've never I'm sorry, finish your that's your thought. Well, no, I'm just running out of time for us tonight, and I was just thinking to myself, thank god my family tree does not fork.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear you, I hear you, Dave, go ahead.
Speaker 10: Always my pleasure.
Speaker 9: I'm just gonna say I would never have given my information to them. I have not encouraged people for a long time, and I hate to say once again, I wish people would listen while I say that's been a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope that they're listening tonight, Dave, and they will heed your warnings as always, Dave had Or thank you so much, my.
Speaker 9: Friend, Always my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks yeh, all right, bye bye, it's the night cabin. It rolls on on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, we've got an elect pleasure and honor of doing are worth airing twice? This is one of them.
Speaker 1: And now we've got the ALCS and NLCS in full swing headed towards the World Series. How about Jeff Rodeimer who co authored this book called Shadows of Glory about the World Series and wild, wacky, wonderful World Series Stories. It's a double dip on the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW. And here it is, as we come to you at what has been a weird, weird day with Iran attacking Israel. We're going to turn our attention to America's pastime, the Fall Classic and a brand new book that is just out called Shadows of Glory, Memorable and offb World Series Stories, authored by Dave Brown and Jeff Rodeimer, who is our guest this evening on the Nightcap.
Speaker 2: And Jeff, welcome to the show. How are you.
Speaker 12: I'm doing great, Garry, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: It's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: And we scheduled this a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the book coming out, and you were doing the media hits this.
Speaker 2: Week and who knew that the day.
Speaker 1: After Pete Rose had died, we would be talking about the World Series. And as you mentioned, Pete Rose was made for the World Series.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean in our lifetime and they were about the same age. I mean, who else but Pete really was made for the big stage. Other maybe this guy like Reggie Jackson. But I mean when you're talking about a big game player. You know, he played on three different World champions. You know, Pete, it just didn't didn't seem that he would ever be gone. You know, he still saw him an interviews, signing, autographs. There's that new special that they have out on HBO about him at I think it's a three or four part documentary. So it's just hard to believe he's gone.
Speaker 2: No, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Three days ago, Pete was out at an autograph signing. I know people who were there, and yeah, what was also not disclosed to the public. And am my assumption and I don't know. I'm not a medical professional and I wasn't there with Pete. But my perception from what I've been hearing for the last year is that Pete was in not good health at all. He's eighty three years old and at this card signing, supposedly he was in a wheelchair just two three days ago. So well, it's shocking, it's not to be unexpected. A lot of people, as I've mentioned before, die of eighty three. They have determined the cause of death yet in Las Vegas. But let's get onto this book. Yeah, yeah, no doubt. Let's get onto you and this book and your involvement in this book. Jeff Rohdeimer Shadows of Glory. You became a baseball fan. Attended your first major league game in nineteen sixty six. I was about a year behind you when my third grid class took a field trip out to Wrigley Field. We lived in suburban Chicago at the time, and I just was My eyes were just wide open, my mouth dropped the first time I walked in to that incredible venue and saw the ivy on the walls. It had an atmosphere of its own, really it did. What was your first.
Speaker 12: Game, Well, it was the Yankees of the mid sixties, right after they started going downhill, after Mantle and Whitey Ford were starting to lose their grip, and they were playing the Washington Centers. It seemed like every game that my father took me to was against the Washington Senators. But like you, I just I remember just walking into that huge stadium, that incredibly green field, And I mean I was already a baseball fan, but I was hooked after that, There's no doubt about it. And you know, you fast forward another ten or twelve years and I meet Dave Brown at Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania, and turns out we've got this, you know, shared crazy love of baseball, baseball trivia, statistics, baseball history. Then you fast forward to two thousand and Davis started a writing career of his own in his first book as a baseball trivia book. And you stayed in touch all this time, and it led up to us collaborating on this book, starting really in about twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the back of the book because I don't want to give away the great stories you guys have compiled for this, But this quote from Mickey Rivers, who was a center fielder for the seventy seven and seventy eight World champion Yankees and the nineteen seventy six World Series team. He said, I once played a game for the Texas Rangers while I was still on the roster of the New York Yankees, So I know all about the crazy and unusual baseball stories. Shadows of Gloria is full of these kinds of stories from the World Series, like the time the owner of the A's tried to throw one of his own players off the team in the middle of that seventy three series. Do you have any because I haven't delved deeply into the book yet, Jeff Rohdeimer, But have you guys have stories about the Reds in the World Series, the Big Red Machine, and you know, especially the nineteen ninety World Series where the Reds went wire to wire and then swept the Oakland A's. Do you have some memories of that in Shades of Glory?
Speaker 12: Well, Shadows of Glory in fact, yeah. And you know, the theme of the book is kind of lesser known, underreported, maybe odd or curious things that people might have even forgotten in some cases. But the nineteen ninety one is a good one because you know, we think of the World Series as this incredibly polished, you know, Madison Avenue pr event. That's what it's become, right. You know, every major network has a cast of analysts and ex players, you know, TBS, MLB Network, Fox, ESPN, they've all got coverage of these games, right, so it's hard to believe that some of these things could have actually happened in a World Series, and again maybe at a time when it was lesser a pr event. But in nineteen ninety, you know, you got Tom Browning, who was a really good pitcher for the Reds, disappearing from a game because his wife is about to give birth, and he leaves the stadium in uniform, thinking he's not going to pitch because he pitched the day before and that he's not going to be needed. But while he's on his way to the hospital and apparently nobody really knew where he was going, Luke Panella starts getting worried that this game is going to go into extra innings and he might need some of these guys to step forward, and he calls down to the bullpen and he sells the bullpen coach get Browning warm, and they have to call him back and say, we don't know where he is. And sure enough, he's gone to the hospital in full uniform for his wife's delivery. But this is you know, free cell phones for the most part, and there's no way to get in touch with him to tell him come around to get back. So they put the word out first of all on the local broadcast of the game. I think through the Cincinnati announcers that hey, you know, Tom, if you're listening to this broadcast, please go back to the ballpark. Lukenel is looking for you. And the nationwide broadcast, and I think it was Tim McCarver who was doing the game who will probably NBC at the time gets wind of what's going on, and then they broadcast that same plea over the air of the entire national audience that's watching the game, and eventually it gets it gets through to the hospital where where Brownie is. But he's not going back at that point. He's he's where he is and he's not coming back to the stadium. So but you just don't think of something like that happening in today's superstructured, organized, you know, world series climate. So yeah, that was that was probably the big red story of the book. Again, you know a lot of people in Cincinnati probably remember that, but the rest of the country probably has forgotten about it. Were Again, for us, the idea was that, you know, if we could write a story that a reader, maybe somebody a little bit newer to baseball looks at and say, I can't believe that could happen in a World Series. Then we know that we found something.
Speaker 1: Well, and you guys go way back, I mean, you go back to the actual beginnings of the World Series. I was just flipping through the book right now as we're talking, the book by the Way of Shadows of Glory, Memorable and Off the World World Series Stories, authored by Dave Brown and our guest Jeff Rodeimer, and I just turned to chapter.
Speaker 2: Five, Owner's remorse.
Speaker 1: The only time in Major League Baseball history, maybe in the entire history of American sports, a team owner declined to accept a World Series championship. This was in nineteen twenty five, so obviously I don't remember, but it goes back to your what you just said about for the young baseball fan who has no idea about the history of the Fall Classic, the way you guys dived into it, tell me a little bit about this particular world series.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that was one that Dave had picked out early that I knew literally nothing about. And I knew the story of the Washington Senators of the mid twenties and Walter Johnson's last few years, and in twenty four the Senators had won an unlikely championship, and Johnson late in his career was kind of the bell cow. I mean, he helped bring that pen at home. But in twenty five they're playing the Pirates and they get to a game seven. It's all tied up, and Johnson's still with the Senators, but it is a terrible forecasts for the game. They decide they're going to play the game anyway. It's in Washington, and they start the game in torrential conditions and it only gets worse, and at the end of the fifth inning, the Commissioner of Baseball KNNI saw Mountain Lands, who was in the stands, waves the Washington owner over and says, I'm declayer in this game over, you have won the championship, and to his credit, the owner of the Senators said, nope, listen, we started the game in the rain. We knew what we were doing. We're finishing this game in the rain. There's no way that the World Series is going to be decided on a five inning game. And they completed the game. Walter Johnson made another appearance, in this time Pittsburgh got to him and they won in an extremely sloppy game, but the Pirates ended up getting the World Series just four innings after the Washington Centers literally had it handed to them.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great detailing not only of the history of the World Series, but the offbeat stories that people may not be familiar with, especially going back that far. For sure, it's also a chronicle of American history. I mean, I'm looking at chapter thirteen. The title is The War, the Flu and the Babe about World War One and the nineteen eighteen World Series.
Speaker 12: Your thoughts, Yeah, and that's one that was partly inspired by the fact that we were writing this book during the COVID pandemic and in nineteen eighteen, the Spanish flew, which was a bigger global pandemic than COVID, was running rampant through the United States. And not only that, you combine that with the fact that World War One was raging in Europe and a lot of players from the major leagues had already either enlisted or been drafted. And so this led to the first and only World Series it was ever played entirely in September, and ironically, the global pandemic was not the big deal during that World Series. It was more about World War One and the fact that the War Department did not want Major League Baseball to continue playing. They gave them an exception to finish the season by September first, and then that was supposed to be it. And then the owners pleaded with the War Department to let them at least finish out and play the World Series, which they conceded and allowed to happen. So that's oldest chapter in the book that goes back to nineteen eighteen. It's a chapter where the Cubs and the Red Sox squaring off, and then the book end to that is the Cleveland Indian Chicago Cubs series in two sixteen. But in that twenty eighteen series, a whole bunch of things happened. It was the first time the Star Spangled banner was ever played. During the World Series, there was a threatened player strike when the players found out that the owners had conspired to cut the players cut of the profits and the World Series bonuses way down by giving off some of the World Series proceeds to the second and third place finishers in the regular season, and so they threatened to go on strike, and at the beginning of Game five they were nowhere to be found. They were going to strike until the president of the Major of the American League stormed into the Red Sox clubhouse. Trunk is a monkey, and I promised to ruin them all. And they came out and they finished the World Series. And then something that is completely aren't to today's game. In an effort to keep Babe Ruth on the bench on the days when he was not pitching, because he was still a pitcher for the Red Sox at the time, the Cubs decided that they were only going to have left handed pitchers pitched during the World Series. In over six games and fifty six innings, they had two lefties who pitched fifty four of those fifty six innings.
Speaker 1: Everybody, incredible, everybody who's a Reds fan and a lifelong Reds fan and maybe a little bit longer in the tooth, will remember Carlton Fisk's home run with the Red Sox against the Reds. But there were other things that obviously in the Reds won that series. Even though Carlton Fisk wins the with the walk off in that game, there were a lot of other things that happened in that World Series that are probably not as well known, but probably just as impactful as Carlton Fisk's home run in that particular series.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that's a good point, because there were a lot of stories that we consciously stayed away from only because we didn't think that we could bring much more to the table. So carton Fisk's home run, and there were certainly some backstories there. But you know, the Perfect Game by Don Larson in fifty six, Reggie Jackson hitting three home runs in Game six of the seventy seven World Series. It's hard, you know, to find something new that you can really write about, So our focus really was on some of these lesser known events. But over eighteen chapters, we covered at least twenty two teams, including a chapter on the Negro League World Series of nineteen forty two, which, you know, for shenanigans and hijinks, it almost can't be beat. You know, the stuff that went on in that World series absolutely would be foreign to anybody you know watching the game today.
Speaker 2: As good as the Savannah Bananas.
Speaker 12: Well, you know what, not too far off, because like the Bananas, they did a lot of barnstorming, and in fact, this is a world series where they decided that Kansas City and the Homestead Grades would play each game in a different city. And right off the bat, you know, you read about this and you're thinking, oh gee, what could go wrong there? So after three games, they find out that Game four, which is supposed to be in Kansas City, can't be played because they don't have permission and the rights for the stadium for that game. So the World Series gets stopped right in its tracks, and they go on a hiatus of about eight or nine days. And so the teams did what they do, They went out barnstorming. And so now the Homestead Grades and the Kansas City Monarchs are actually playing exhibition games against each other to make money, but games that don't count. And so during the course of this barnstorming period, a bunch of the guys in the Kansas City Monarchs I'm sorry, yeah, they start you know, kind of wandering or it's the Homestead Grades, they start wandering off. And so when they come back to complete the World Series, all of a sudden, they don't look like the same team. The Homestead Grays have three ringers from the newer Eagles on their team, and so they play the fourth game, it's under protest, all the owners get together and they finally agree, now we can't allow this, and they finish out the series with the rosters that they started with. But you know, guys had left the team because they thought they weren't going to get paid sure, and they were afraid the World Series wouldn't start again, so they took off, and then you know, the owner of the Homestead Grays, starts reassembling a team that doesn't look at anything like the one that they started the series with.
Speaker 1: Jeff Rodeimer, thank you so much, Avid baseball fan, co author with Dave Brown of Shadows of Glory Memorable and Offbeat World Series Stories. Hello to your wife Peggy, and to your parent Rocky, and thanks for johinaus Well.
Speaker 12: I appreciate it, and anybody who's interested in finding out more can go to Shadows of glorybook dot com. That's our website. And Gary, it was great to talk to you. Thanks for having me on. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 13: Is there a special time you like to listen to sconslan?
Speaker 7: I liked that on.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: I look forward to these conversations the same way I look forward to bathing. Well, I don't know I don't bathe that much, but I don't talk to wild Man but once a week, so it's about the same.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: We're talking with the one and only Wildman Walker, the sports Commando, and we are six weeks deep into the NFL season, and some things are becoming very, very apparent as we watch the National Football League, and wild Man, I know that you are glued as a fan to the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cincinnati Reds during baseball season, and the Bearcats and all the rest of that. But let's focus on generally the state of the NFL as we sit at the end of almost the other week.
Speaker 6: Six.
Speaker 1: Got Monday Night football going on right now as we speak. But the one thing that I gleaned from yesterday's games and the season to this point is that no one will stop the Baltimore Ravens on offense unless it's the Baltimore Ravens. I think they're the only team that can stop themselves with an interception or a fumble or a special special teams gaff.
Speaker 2: But they don't make many of them.
Speaker 1: That was, again, just a thing to make you go with your mouth wide open a gape and go, oh my god, how does anybody stop the Ravens?
Speaker 14: You know what I mean, I'm surprising they bring up first the Dallas Cowboys suffering their worst home loss under Jerry Jones.
Speaker 6: That was the best news of the day.
Speaker 2: We can get to that in a moment.
Speaker 1: But speak, but speak to the offensive might and the defensive might of the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 2: I mean, they didn't stop.
Speaker 1: The Bengals, but the Bengals couldn't stop the Ravens, and neither could whoever that was yesterday against. I mean, it's just it's amazing how when Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry are on their game. Is there any team that can stop them?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 14: I think there's a number of teams they can stop them. I think the Chiefs can stop them.
Speaker 6: I think if.
Speaker 14: Baltimore and Green Bay get together, Green Bays I got a very good quarterback now he's coming of age. People forgetting about Jordan Love. There's a number of teams that can stop the Ravens. I think they're One of the things that stands out is because they're in our division.
Speaker 6: You got to see them twice a year.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. And let's look at the bottom of the division. The Cleveland Browns. This franchise is either cursed or because it doesn't matter who the general manager is, it doesn't matter who the coach is. And they bring in these quarterbacks that are going to be the savior of the franchise, like Deshaun Watson, and Cleveland continues to just suck.
Speaker 14: There's that list that's out there about how many quarterbacks the Browns have employed since they got the Cleveland franchise.
Speaker 6: It's really it's like, it's just it's it's as long as Warren Peace. It really is.
Speaker 14: I Deshaun Watson, they just need to like, here's your money and go away. But they're not gonna do it. They're not gonna do it, and they are a train wreck. The thing is, their defense is not that bad. It's you know, really on offense. It's really on all desha Watson.
Speaker 2: They're a train wreck. Year after year. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Remember Tim Couch was gonna be the number one pick out of UK just a stellar college career, and you know, and he wasn't ready for prime time.
Speaker 6: And well there's Johnny Football. Forget about Tonny football.
Speaker 1: I don't forget about Johnny Manziel. Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 6: Mind.
Speaker 2: Well, they just keep on keeping on, don't they.
Speaker 14: They have a formula and they haven't gone away from it since the days of Chuck No.
Speaker 6: They they they've developed.
Speaker 14: That formula and they went with that formula and if you don't want to play with that formula, they'll get ready and replace it with somebody else.
Speaker 6: And has been successful.
Speaker 1: Okay, you brought up the worst Dallas Cowboys home loss ever in front of Jerry Jones, God and everybody in Dallas.
Speaker 6: On his birthday, on his birthday.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 7: I know?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, what's what's the problem with Dallas? Geez?
Speaker 14: Well, they don't have much of a running game, are not? They don't have much of a running game. I don't know why they signed the Zeke Elliott onnoll. What was that that thinking was? And then right now they just can't get anything going. I mean when they're.
Speaker 6: Stuck in a rut.
Speaker 14: Well, Dak Prescott, that that contract, you know, and all that went on and on and on and on, and he's a good quarterback, but for that kind of money, I mean, he got to be scoring touchdowns every time.
Speaker 2: He has the ball.
Speaker 14: They're the they're a mass I don't know. Mike mccarthy'll make it through the end of the season. Now, Jerry Jones is he loves to hire and fire coaches.
Speaker 1: I talked to a Dallas Cowboys fan just last week wild Man and brought up the the Jerry Jones thing, and he said, Jerry Jones doesn't need to be anywhere near football making decisions.
Speaker 2: He's proven that now over twenty years.
Speaker 14: I couldn't agree more. I could not agree more. It's like, just you know, here here here, will pick a good we'll get ahead coach, we'll get a GM. I'll just stack, I'll just step back and that you guys do your thing. But they Jerry Jones's ego. I mean, let's face it, Jimmy Johnson should still be coaching this football team.
Speaker 6: But Jerry Jones.
Speaker 14: Couldn't deal with the ego, you know, because because Jimmy Johnson, everybody loves Jimmy Johnson, not envery Jerry Jones couldn't stand it.
Speaker 1: Not enough room in the in not enough room in in in that room for for all those egos you're right about.
Speaker 14: Yeah, all I need, all I need to do is point out Gary jeff was one when Jimmy Johnson took over the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: They stunk, they stunk.
Speaker 14: Didn't take them long and they were Super Bowl champs and Jerry Jones couldn't deal with it.
Speaker 6: I don't know what that's crazy, it really is, you know.
Speaker 2: And conversely, wild Man Walker.
Speaker 1: The team that decimated the Cowboys in Dallas or in Arlington yesterday, the Detroit Lions, I mean, and God hoped that they find something to bridge the gap of that Asa Hutchinson, that terrible injury where he broke his tibia yesterday against the Cowboys. But I mean, Detroit looks like a world beater, and I think they've got a real chance. And I think the Falcons have a real chance again. And Kansas City and Houston, Texas, the Houston Texans in the AFC are looking pretty strong too, aren't they.
Speaker 14: Joe makes it yesterday one hundred and twenty five yards touchdown on the ground, a touchdown reception. They've got a very good young quarterback there. And you going back to the Lions, Yeah, they learned a lot from last year of how far they had advanced. They got a head coach that they all they would walk through a brick wall for that.
Speaker 6: Game, Campbell Lion, the Lion.
Speaker 14: The Lions are scary, they really are.
Speaker 6: They were scary.
Speaker 14: And it would be cool to see because the Lions have never been to the Super Bowl. You don't win one, they've never been there.
Speaker 2: Yep, it would be awesome.
Speaker 1: And then then Nick Sirianni, the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, getting craped from the media because he was chirping with the fans.
Speaker 2: What do you think about it?
Speaker 14: I saw that and I don't know what he was saying, but you know how they are in Philadelphia. Man, you know they're going to give it to him. Why not give it back to him?
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Any teams on the West Coast did impress you?
Speaker 6: Not really?
Speaker 7: Not really.
Speaker 14: The forty nine ers, I think. I think the fortynters. Eventually we'll get it together. They're starting to play a little bit better. But so far, I haven't seen nothing that, you know, that knocks me over. The LA Chargers, they'll probably have a winning record on her hardball because they're building something there. The Rams that's a that's a that's a train wreck, much like the Cleveland Browns. All right, Well, the Arizona Cardinals are.
Speaker 6: Going on are going nowhere.
Speaker 2: No, we we saw that yesterday too.
Speaker 1: All right, wild Man up next, Let's set our sights on the Cincinnati Bengals already, who have now won a third of their games in this young NFL season.
Speaker 6: Hey two and four beach one man?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll talk about it when we reconvene in a moment after the break. Wild Man Walker on the night Cap on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 13: Open up our live stream on the iHeartRadio app and take a look at the screen. You see that little red circle with a microphone on it. That's our talkback feature. Push it and send us your thoughts on the current topic, something you think we should discuss, or anything that's rolling around at Big Ol'mellanie years the talkback feature. Check it out on seven hundred wlw's live stream on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with cancer after using roundup weed killer?
Speaker 2: The World Health organ.
Speaker 1: Sam wis forever Cleveland Fans Never, It's the wild Man on the Nightcap with Gary Jeff on seven hundred WLW. The Bengals get victory number two on the season after week number six. Wild Man, It's a step in the right direction. But let's think about who they've beaten. They've beaten the Carolina Panthers and the New York Giants. It's not exactly a great starting point to say, Okay, the Bengals are going to straighten things up and get to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 6: Two road on the season so far?
Speaker 14: Winning on the road as tough for any team in the National Football League, And both of the Bengals wins have been on the road. Carolina, Okay, everybody expected us, the Bengals to win that game the Giants.
Speaker 6: A lot of people were iffy because.
Speaker 14: Of the Giants defense, and they have been moving the ball and they found a way to move the ball, which I don't think the Bengals expected with the Daniel Jones run around.
Speaker 6: Most were like eighty yards last night. But hey, they got the job done. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 14: They came out on the winning end of the scoreboard. The defense, the defense which we've all been hammering on. They made the big plays when they had to make the big plays. And you see the big difference on that defensive line when Sheldon Rankins is in there and bj Hill because that helps Trey Henderson and that helps Sam Hubbard, that helps the other guys, and you've got the great defensive plays when they needed to come up with DJ Turner, Mike Hilton. So hey, kudos kudas to the defense. Yeah, I saw some shoddy tackling again, which drives me crazy. I want to throw a brick at the TVs I on the tackle of that used going on out there.
Speaker 6: But overall, they win that game because.
Speaker 14: Of the defense, because the offense had a hard time movement at times against the Giants defense.
Speaker 1: BJ Hills pressure against Jones absolutely resulted in that interception which stopped the Giants drive. And you're right to have all four of those defensive linemen healthy for the first time this season in a game mattered a bunch. And I'll tell you what else met You mentioned Doug Jones rushing for eighty yards. The most important yards rushed by a quarterback last night in that game was the forty seven that Joe Burrows clocked in a broken play for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: That was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's the longest run by a quarterback in Bingals history for a touchdown forty seven yards.
Speaker 2: What'd you make of that?
Speaker 6: One? Joke?
Speaker 14: And run a little bit Canning.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can make it, take it run a little bit.
Speaker 6: I think the league found that out.
Speaker 1: But it's it's it's that decision made making when there's nothing else there Joe Burrow makes when he's handed lemons, he makes lemonades.
Speaker 2: And it's still happening, you know.
Speaker 6: Joe.
Speaker 14: Joe's football, Joe's foot by IQ is really off the chart.
Speaker 6: It really is.
Speaker 14: And they and they might have seen that onton film and sure goes a lot of times they'll see it and they'll go back and do the same thing. And sure enough, I mean, you got to you gotta take it and run with it, and run with it.
Speaker 2: He did, indeed, no, no, no question.
Speaker 1: Uh you still want to and uh Chase Brown gets the other Bengals touchdown last night.
Speaker 14: Well I like that because I've got him in my fantasy league, so I was happy for that. But I want to go back into the Joe Burrow forty seven yard touchdown run, which is interesting that that's the longest run in Bengals history by a quarterback, because they didn't say anything like that watching the game, But to me, he third and twelve play by Joe when he was kind of flushed out of the pocket, making something out of nothing and getting that big first down, hitting Yosi with that with that pass, that was huge. And if I heard him say Joe's wrist might be bothering, Joe's risks ain't bothering him because he put that ball on a dime right to Yosie first down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next week the Bengals play the Browns in Cleveland. Do you live in Cleveland or do you live in Cincinnati, wild man? And what's going to happen on the road in Cleveland next week? What are your predictions for Well, that Bongos continuing their success story off of the win at the Giants.
Speaker 14: Gary Jeff, That's that's a monkey that Joe Burrow would like to get off his back because he has struggled against the Browns for whatever reason. For whatever reason, they have a decent defense. Offensively, they're not very good. I've been reading that Nick Chubb might return. Here we go, you know, another running back again game yards and I don't know if that's official yet. The Nick Jubb might be able to play in this first game of the year and a number almost a year and a half going on the road. Yeah, there'll be a lot of Beckel fans up there making that trip.
Speaker 6: Well, let's look at it. Let me tell you this.
Speaker 14: The Bengals are favored by five points. What's that tell you that the league is, you know, with book makers like the Bengals in this game. But again, getting that monkey off Joe Burrow's back. That's got to be bothering him like crazy.
Speaker 6: The Bengals his battle in this Battle of Ohio. You know they always talk.
Speaker 2: About Wildman Walker.
Speaker 1: The Bengals were seven and a half point favorites in the opening game of the season against the Patriots at home and look off.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and the Patriots haven't won a game since. You know that.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 6: I saw, I saw that yesterday. Go go, let's not let's let's focus.
Speaker 14: Like Pete Rose is to say, that's all behind them, Let's focus on what's ahead of us.
Speaker 1: If Zach Taylor remains as the Bengals head coach next year, do you think the five the primary focus will be on winning the first couple of games of the season instead of this every year, this.
Speaker 6: Annual malaise of oh.
Speaker 2: Well, you know they always start slow.
Speaker 1: I hate hearing that there's no reason to start I lame a lot of that.
Speaker 14: I blame a lot of that on the milk toast media that's in this town, the TV and radio and the Riders.
Speaker 6: They didn't get away with it.
Speaker 14: They don't you know, they don't put any heat on him during training camp about how important it is to win the first game of the year. And we've seen that. But did they just go along with what Zach says? The media and this town are wissles. They've been whissles for years. Their houseman for the Reds, their housemen for the Bengals. They have been for years. Nobody's afraid to do anything that might ruffle the feathers. But that's not what journalism's all about, you know, give it, get both sides of the story. And nobody is afraid to put the pressure on the Zach Taylor about winning that first game.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's killed them the last three years. That's killed them.
Speaker 2: Would you volunteer wild Man to do your best Alan Cutler and chase Zach Taylor through the.
Speaker 1: Bengels office after a bingles loss?
Speaker 6: Why you bring that guy up? O?
Speaker 2: My god, I could run all day?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Who was that? Who was that? Gillespie? Was that the car?
Speaker 2: It was Billy Gillespie.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, he was a real winner, wasn't it college loser?
Speaker 6: He was a loser like Alan Cutler.
Speaker 14: Man, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So uh, just some last thoughts here about the Bengals as we close this out, wild Man, what else you got.
Speaker 14: I'm just waiting till Sunday. I'm counting the days now. This would be an interesting game. And hey, if they can beat the I'm not saying they're gonna.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna.
Speaker 14: I'm not gonna predict them any winner. Law just stay away, frow. They can beat the Browns, then they got the Eagles and the Raiders coming in here, and then they go.
Speaker 6: Play the Ravens.
Speaker 14: They could possibly be six and four or five and five at the break, which I would take.
Speaker 6: I would take that.
Speaker 1: So if the Bengals are five hundred at there bye week, you're a happy man.
Speaker 14: This, Oh god, I think everybody would be a happy man because they're They'll look at the schedule.
Speaker 6: They've gotta they've gotta play Dallas. Oh my god, that they kill Dallas.
Speaker 14: But that yeah, you know, that's that would be a road game. And but the schedules in favor of the Bengals. But You gotta take one game at a time.
Speaker 6: You can't keep.
Speaker 14: Looking ahead, but I know fans like to do that. But you have the Eagles coming in here, and then you have the the Raiders coming in here with with Marvin Lewis as a as an assistant defensive coach.
Speaker 6: I forget what his real title is.
Speaker 14: And they stink.
Speaker 6: They really, they're really bad.
Speaker 14: And we need a couple of home ruins, don't we.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But uh, the the reappearance of VJ. Hill back in the lineup and Jenkins, Uh, it really mattered a lot yesterday.
Speaker 14: Without a doubt and without the defense has gotta be strutting a little bit. And how I can't remember that it was that Trent Anderson on special teams. Yeah his name, Yeah, I mean he he had an impact too. In fact, I saw the replay of the game balls that Zach taylerver was given out.
Speaker 6: It was given out all to the deep bets of guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it should have been well exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: It was huge. You know, they got they can work on this and grow on this.
Speaker 1: Wild man, let's get to let's plan on reconvening next Monday night and in the aftermath, of the meeting in Cleveland against the Browns.
Speaker 2: We'll see how we're doing, all right.
Speaker 14: Hopefully it'll be a winning convening.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, take care, all right.
Speaker 1: It's wild Man Walker with us on the Nightcap on seven hundred WLW. A PR guru and a best selling author. He has represented, among many, many, many people, Michael Jackson, Barbara streisand at all at least fifty four Academy Award winners as a publicist, a public public relations guy. His best selling book, Gorilla PR you may be familiar with, and now he's with us on the Nightcap for a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Michael, how are you?
Speaker 7: I am honored to be sharing your valuable audience with me.
Speaker 1: I am honored that you would take time and help me feel great content on my show.
Speaker 7: All right, so let me not disappoint you.
Speaker 1: No, no, no. The fact that you picked up the phone, Michael, made me just excited as all get out. Last week there was a poll done by Rasmuseen RMG that showed that among one thousand registered voters, not likely voters, registered voters, democratic voters, democrat voters. I don't call them democratic, I call them democrats because they certainly haven't seen to be very democratic lately. That nearly three and ten Democrats support the idea that Donald Trump's death would benefit the nation would be a good idea.
Speaker 6: Three and ten Democrats pleased.
Speaker 7: Three out of ten Democrats would be plead us to learn of the successful assassination of predal president Donald Trump. And I want to note Gary Res Mutant is a very very respected polling service.
Speaker 1: So this is not some quack.
Speaker 6: This is not some.
Speaker 2: Outlier survey that.
Speaker 7: Three out of ten. Now, may I offer you an explanation of how this could be? Because I understand that when people hear it, they either deny it or think, God, we're ruined. But I'd like to offer an explanation if I may. Sure, all right, it is my experience, and I'm a political independent, I'm not a Republican. Is my experiences that our friends on the right are conservative friends think of our friends on the left liberals as either naive or foolish. I hardly wish, hardly wish them dead.
Speaker 2: I would have to agree with you, Okay.
Speaker 7: Our friends on the left, on the other hand, think our friends on the right are evil and selfish. Now, if you take a minute and get the difference. There's a difference between thinking of someone as naive and foolish versus evil and selfish. If you feel someone to be evil, then there's a moral mandate that you do everything, including killing him to stop him, like a murderer.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So this is the problem in America, and the problem, largely I believe comes from the left, which has adopted a near religious zeal a jahati like.
Speaker 2: Zeal good good call taked.
Speaker 7: In h get trapped in very poetic word, two gaslight Americans. And this is where we find ourselves. Right, Two assassination attempts in eight weeks. So that's my explanation for how we arrived at three out of ten Democrats would be absolute, would be pleased if Donald Trump were assassinated.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 1: I bet three out of ten Republicans probably thought that Joe Biden was already dead.
Speaker 2: But that may be we didn't pull that.
Speaker 1: They understand. But what I'm saying is I cannot envision. And maybe this is the juxtafication you were just talking about, Michael, is that Republicans don't consider Democrats evil.
Speaker 2: They don't. They just consider them ill informed, naive. You use the.
Speaker 7: Propolish naive utopian.
Speaker 1: There is no way, there is no way, there's no way in the world that if you conducted that same poll among Republicans that three out of ten people would want would want to kill Kamala Harris.
Speaker 7: It's impossible. In fact, I would argue that three out of ten Republicans would be deeply, deeply hurt and sympathetic. Yeah, so I would even yeah, but look, this is where we are. Our Democratic friends, nay, have the very best motives ever invented in the history of humanity. However, I remember an old adage as a child that said.
Speaker 12: The path the hell is paved with.
Speaker 1: Right as the pr guru that you are, Michael Levine, if you were in charge of spinning the Eric Adams story, how would.
Speaker 2: You do it?
Speaker 7: First of all, I'm very glad that Mary Adams has not availed himself of my service. He's got big, big problems, and the only answer that I can see, it's not a particularly bright answer, is a plea deal. But you know, if, obviously, when you indict anyone but a sitting mayor, even if half the charges were true, let's just say half of them are made up and half are true.
Speaker 4: Whoa we got problems.
Speaker 7: Well, you have big problems. So how does this end?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: It would seem to me it's got to end in a plea deal to the extenting figure this out. The city prior to the indictment. I'm born in New York City. Many of your yeah, many of your listeners will not go to New York and the next year it is a disaster. New York City, like most urban areas in America, is far worse.
Speaker 6: Than you see on television.
Speaker 7: It is a disaster. You can go to the very best neighborhoods in Manhattan and see people lying on the street, migrants roaming the street, crazy people roaming the street. No one and middle class or above would go on a subway. The subways are empty.
Speaker 10: The city is a disaster.
Speaker 7: That's before the indictment. Now you add the indictment and all the resignations, the city is basically I mean the governor has the power in New York to remove the mayor. Sure, and that may be a necessity just just from day to day operations.
Speaker 1: Huh, Michael Levine, how can people find out more? Do you have a platform where people can find you?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, yes, yes, Well if you're interested in my public relations firm, or raising your own profile or anything of that sort, you go to Boundless MEDIAUSA dot com. There's a lot of information there and I'd be happy to help.
Speaker 6: You or chat with you.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael Levine, thank you so much for your time tonight, and brother, keep me in mind.
Speaker 2: We may do this again sometime. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: If you've got the guts, I.
Speaker 1: Got all kinds of kohunes, even with lower testosterone. Michael Levine with us on the Nightcap back after a break on seven hundred WLW in.
Speaker 2: Experienced prosecutors across the country are going.
Speaker 1: More or less live from Less Palm Beach, Florida. My brother, my baby brother, the one that I seem to get along with the most, probably because we were farthest apart in age.
Speaker 2: I was the oldest, he was.
Speaker 1: The youngest, and we didn't have to deal with each other that much growing up. But in the years hence he has become a valuable sounding board for me and I just you know, it's my brother.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: His name is Chuck and he is right now at work, but we're talking about life in Palm City in the wake of Milton, and all the other hurricanes that have come and gone. Chuck first and foremost, welcome to the Nightcap. It's great to have you on the show.
Speaker 9: Thank you appreciate it all right.
Speaker 1: So you have lived in pretty much South Florida for how many years now?
Speaker 10: It's actually just over thirty years this sure.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's about how long I've been in Cincinnati, just a little over thirty years. So different paths, different parts of the country. We only occasionally get the remnants of a hurricane, thank god, nothing like North Carolina got the remnants of Helene. But you have seen them come and go, these huge tropical storms over the last three decades, four decades actually, So what's your since Do you have that kind of feeling of like, oh, here comes another one and you kind of yawn and roll your eyes at all the hyperbole, or do you still take them seriously if they're headed directly towards you. What's your attitude towards dealing with the hurricane check?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, you got to take anything serious. But you know, these people overreact a little bit, you know, obviously, especially you know with the media hype. Yes, they got to push the stocks of some well named brands leave those unnamed. But some people go out and raid the stores and all that kind of stuff. Main thing is just have your basic essentials and you know, have a plan. You know, especially now that I'm living on a yacht, it's definitely a different ballgame. You got to be double ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brother and his wife, Kelly live on a fifty three foot boat that me and my wife Chris to two point zero got to experience for ourselves, not this year, but last Labor Day weekend, and it was I got to tell you, brother, it was wonderful. From this the time we stepped out of the West Palm Airport to the time we had to go back, it was just a great experience. I never slept better. They sleep well on a boat, just not necessarily in the middle of a hurricane. Now, what is the most impactful hurricane that you've been through in South Florida in your thirty years there?
Speaker 10: It probably would have to be Francis. Francis stood over us for about fourteen sixteen hours and just really beat the helly heck out of us, and we hadn't seen one in thirty eight years at that point, a major storm, so put a bit of damage that was not expected, you know, because just we haven't been tested.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing with Milton, besides the storm surgeon, the flooding, all the tornadoes that were spawned from Milton crossing the peninsula. Now, you guys had some tornadoes that were spawned off of that storm as it went across the peninsula, didn't you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we had four within a couple miles where we were, and it's one of them Mariner Sands, which is devastated. I mean, it just really just tore that place apart. But there was some quite a bit of damage out here in Palm City and just north of the Saint Lucie and just south of US actually Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens had some pretty bad damage from tornado.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing that people don't understand. And said, well, it's got to go across the whole state of Florida. That peninsula is not very wide, it's plenty long, but I mean a storm in the Gulf can definitely affect you on the Atlantic side. And you were mentioning that your own boat, but you decided, you and your wife decided that there were a couple of plans. You said, you've got to have a plan, and one of those. One of those plans perspectively was going south. But you didn't have time to find a place to more up to to tie up once you got there, and that was the big issue.
Speaker 15: Right, Yeah, you know, I didn't really want to be on the hook swinging around with that size boat and that you know, they were still going to have tropical storm winds, so it just.
Speaker 10: Made more sense to stay where we were. We had six huge pilings that were tied to, and we had twelve three quarter inch lines. You know, it's like we're holding a fifty two thousand pounds boat with one hundred and thirty thousand pounds worth of lines.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So if you'd been on the Gulf coast and you were like in a place like cs t Key, you definitely would have bugged out, correct, Oh.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I probably would have ended up at Larga.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 1: So you did just you did sustain a little bit of damage from the ensuing storms as it passed just to the north of you.
Speaker 16: What'd you lose, Well, just the back part of our eyes and glass to enclosure eye glasses like a faul of glass if you will.
Speaker 10: And the back part of it just kind of disappeared by morning. It's just gone. What along with one of my new bean bags?
Speaker 6: Doren't it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, those bean bags are really comfortable if you can ever get out of them after you're in them. That's always an issue. What you went to Florida from Middle Tennessee and you never left?
Speaker 2: Is it the weather?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 1: What is it that makes a Florida and the part of Florida you're living in so darned attractive?
Speaker 10: Brother, Well, the weather is a big part of it, obviously, But you know, I think that just the freedoms, there's so much more going on at any given time, you know, to do things. Not that we go out and do a whole black lot, but yeah, you can pick and choose your venues of different things to do.
Speaker 6: You like so much to do?
Speaker 2: You like living in a state with no personal state income tax?
Speaker 10: Yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Uh huh? What else?
Speaker 1: Yes, let's focus just for the last minute, we're talking about this upcoming election. I know that you're a staunch Trump supporter as I am, and you have one of the most marvelous governors I think of any of the fifty states your thoughts real quickly on disantus.
Speaker 10: He's done on an awesome job. I mean, you can't deny that. The one thing I could say is sometimes his speeches are a little bit uncomfortable just because of the way he projects them. But I think the man is brilliant, knows what needs to be done, and takes charge to get him done. And that's what you need. And someone that's in that position you know, to govern or to know whether it's a a city, county, state, or country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think speeches are while they're helpful in the marketing of any said given candidate, speeches probably are last on your list of requirements.
Speaker 2: You want to know how the job performance goes well. Brother, I am so.
Speaker 1: Grateful that you and Kelly survived and that continue to survive and thrive in South Florida.
Speaker 2: And thanks for spending a few minutes with us on the nightcap tonight.
Speaker 10: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You guys have a great day, all right, you two.
Speaker 1: It's Chuck, my baby brother from South Florida living in Palm City and dodging another bullet with Milton that passed last week. And with that we conclude the nightcap and we can't let you go without hearing our national anthem to honor America on seven hundred WLW