Speaker 1: It's time to go into the schule Wyberg motion. All right.
Speaker 2: So this goes back to the Dirk Heroes celebrity baseball game. Dirk used to do this baseball game in Frisco where the Rough Riders play every every summer. And you know, Ben and Skin were on the teams. You played, you know, for years in this thing, and then I was lucky enough to get to you know, kind of either do PA or you know, do some play by play. But one of the things that would happen every year is DFW radio legend Jody Dean would play in the game and then refuse to go to the bench on a team full of athletes from town and people who had paid to be in the game, he would not leave the game.
Speaker 3: It was and it would to In his defense, it wasn't very clearly defined. It was kind of like, you know, if you were out there playing and you realize, oh, here's the guy who hadn't got in, you would just go, hey, man, take my spot. It was a lot of that. There wasn't anybody managing it, no, but it.
Speaker 4: Is to kt point, and I think Jody is the kind of guy that you can because he's a guy that recognizes he has an enormous ego.
Speaker 1: It's a joke. I've heard him joke about.
Speaker 4: It, and it's literally it's more of an awareness thing, like, hey, Jody, we do love you. But I think the people want to see his egal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go ahead.
Speaker 4: Let Zeke get on the Dallas Cowboy that everyone is here to see.
Speaker 2: He can't play every position, but one thing that would happen every year by fault, like clockwork, he would fall in the game, whether it's getting out of the batter's box, diving for a ball in right field.
Speaker 4: Because he's I mean, me and Been are ancient and he's older than us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and eventually we stopped playing in it because we're like, man, we're just gonna get hurt or make ourselves look like fools out here, right, But he kept playing even at our age.
Speaker 1: He just stayed out there.
Speaker 3: And to his credit, you know, he died for balls and stuff, but he he would come up and get hurt.
Speaker 4: I think he would not die for balls. I think he would fall for ball. We have three clips here and it's, uh, it's kind of interesting. I need you to I guess I explained a little bit like softball in this case, he's playing the picture position. Now you'd have a former MLI picture like Ryan Drees or Mike Bassett. Yeah it so I'm not out there throwing just to get the ball over the plate, but you have a guy playing the picture to field the position because the picture is not gonna field it.
Speaker 2: Your batter at this time is Jogi Ferrell, and he taps one up to the picture. Now I was lucky enough to be doing play by play in fact, or I was maybe I was doing color, but either way, it's the only thing I wanted to do is be on the mic when Jody Dean fell and it happens.
Speaker 1: This is like heaven for me.
Speaker 2: But this is one of three that I'm going to play for you.
Speaker 1: There's a bouncer in the mountain, could be trouble. It is like clockwork. It happens every year. A brand ball back to the.
Speaker 5: Picture and Jody Dean falls down and then blames it on the turf field is in perfect condition here in riscone chose in the history.
Speaker 2: Of It's so funny as you guys are roaming the field with headsets on too, and just go put the mic in front of Dirk's face or whatever. He just wants to kill Yogi, not Jody Dean. Now, before we get to Ben's interview with Jody Dean. After this, we have to go to Ben talking to former Raiders great Hall of Fame wide receiver Tim Brown about Jody Dean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the greatness of Tim Brown here.
Speaker 5: What are your thoughts on Jody Dean and his likeliness to get injured. I'm worried about my likeliness to get injured right there?
Speaker 1: But I think Toby's kids, he's I think he's waiting for this. Are you serious? I mean, are you just being nutties?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I think Jody he looks like he's a guy who's taking care of himself in what way.
Speaker 1: Specific to watching the run? Right there, wasn't. I got to change my mind. I'm glad that his hiding is over. He saw running.
Speaker 2: The best part that's been because in what way he himself.
Speaker 1: The guy who's taking care of himself? In what way he's specifically watching him run? Right there? Wasn't I got to change my mind. That is so good.
Speaker 3: But he's having a hard time run around, but he's staying out there every inning.
Speaker 1: Tim Brown looked the nicest guy ever, didn't want to say.
Speaker 2: Anything bad about him, then talked to him and to say something bad about it.
Speaker 1: In what way?
Speaker 4: It's such a great follow up quest?
Speaker 2: Right, So, after the fall where he got a little top heavy and went down on a slow ground ball, Ben catches up with Jody Dean.
Speaker 5: Guys, I'm here with Jody Dean who had a horrific injury on the infield. His pancreas fell out. The trainers were able to get back over to him. Cram that thing back in there, Jody, what happened? Well, they didn't choose the end.
Speaker 1: I would have preferred, but yes, they got it back in.
Speaker 5: He got the longest injury streak in the history of the Heroes game, nine consecutive games with an injury.
Speaker 1: How are you able to keep this going? Age?
Speaker 5: Mostly you hit fifty eight years old and thinks it's happened automatically.
Speaker 1: You just got to go with it. Let the game come to you all right, back to you, guys, They're good. I love Joe, fun dude.
Speaker 4: You can give him a hard time and he rolls with it, and he'll even make fun of his own ego. He's he's a great dude.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you when he fell down, because I think I was in a situation where I had to rotate innings. It was like the only inning that I had to like be on the air when it happened. When I was there, I was just like, there's euphoria for me. I shouldn't have and I'm gonna fall in my old age because of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I'm so impressed though, because I'm sitting here at fifty four. There is no way in hell I would get out on a field of anything right now. Yeah, And he was out there at fifty eight, guy, and that was not softball, it was baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And laser beams out there all right there. It is the Wayback Machine. Really really good stuff. Rest in peace, Jody Dan almonell never forget the time he was alive. He's still alive. He just got word that he's still We love you, Jody. Congratulations in the literal sense. Coming up in just over three minutes of the today game. Then what's going on in Dallas. That's all next