Speaker 1: It's squeaky bun time at the bottom and the top Wigginer a team who's momentum won't stop Giants off the bottom. After four in a row, Bradford and Hull suffered a devastating blow. Many results didn't go how we both thought. For how many pounds will super League be bought? Welcome to the thirty third episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but we do talk some ouzzy rugby league as well. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: My good friend John is in the UK a journalist, but obviously he can tell by his accent. He's still working on his Yorkshire accent and I'm still working on my Brisbane one, even though I've been here for over two decades. Please read descriptions or listen to old pods too to find out more. If you are listening on the Ashes Rugby League podcast platform, please start switching over end of this month it won't be available. Super League three six actually won't be available anyway. Rugby League Coach podcast listeners please you can keep listening on the Rugby League Coach Podcast platform and you can still see us on the Rugby League Coach YouTube too, and thank you to Rugby League dot Com who are also carrying this podcast each week. I want to start this week, John a little bit different to the way we normally start. We normally go through the games and whatnot. But I think we can't underestimate how much of a massive moment it is for rugby league in the UK, the fact that yes, yes, the NRL have finally come up with a deal. Now we've got so much to unpack. I just want to let you know that I've given myself the Rugby League Tweet of the Week award this week. I've awarded it to myself and this will be a great conversation starter, I think. And it was the tweet I did where I said so super League is worth about one quarter of the record transfer fee in the Premier League, a similar price to buying Girly in Carland's left leg. No wonder the game is struggling in the UK. According to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald, the offer is basically designed for the NRL to take over the running of the Super League, with the funds coming from a joint venture with the zone and that the subscription package and the TV deal, if you like, would be for do Zonne and NRL to partner on a rugby league pass offering to English fans so they can watch the NRL as well. So Thursday's offer was the first step. Apparently some NRL clubs have expressed a willingness to forge more strategic ties with clubs in England should it go through. The NRL wants to apparently turn around the financial fortunes of the league because so many of the clubs are losing money. So I've just paraphrased some of the article from Adrian Pasenko. I think it was in the Sydney Morning Herald. Yeah, dive in John, let me know what you've got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was so essentially the offer was submitted Wednesday. What are we Sunday morning here now, and then the Super League clubs met on Thursday morning. Now, it's been probably eighteen months that this story is wrong, but on hasn't it. There was meetings in Vegas in twenty five with Mike Danson and Simon Ram with Peter Vandy's but we haven't actually had there hasn't been an offer, an official offer submitted to super League to the RFL until last week or two, a few days ago, so that was obviously a big moment.
Speaker 2: I'd heard just before.
Speaker 3: That from a source in the NRL that Peter Laney's actually wanted to get a deal done with super League before his NROL TV rights deal with Design was done, because I think that was the common thought that the super League's rights would be packaged in with the NRL.
Speaker 2: And obviously, you know.
Speaker 3: They've got five point three billion over seven years in Australian dollars, which is what two point six five billion pounds, so that some of that money could have been used for part of the super League offer. Now obviously that didn't happen, so we've got to this point. The offer was submitted.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I spoke to a lot of people on Thursday afternoon for the story I wrote for the I I think the general consensus was people were happy to receive an offer after dating months, but they weren't overwhelmed by the offer. You know, the figure that was there wasn't wow. Now, I think Deloitte has valued who the RLC regular commercial appointed in April, they valued super League a lot higher.
Speaker 2: I think there was a figure that had been banded about about one hundre.
Speaker 3: Fifty million, so effectively the NROL offer is it was valued. I just want to make this clear because I think there is a bit of confusion now they're offering to buy Rugby League Commercial. Now Rugby League Commercial controls the commercial rights, the broadcasting, the marketing, the events rights of rugby league. In the UK it's a joint venture between Super League and the RFL. They own fifty to fifty each. This is where it gets so confusion because in Australia, as you know, you've got the RLC, which you know is in charge of the NROL, and the NROL controls everything, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Like I know, there's the.
Speaker 3: New so World Rugby League, the Queens and the Rugby League, but effectively the NRL is the number one body. But in England you've got the RFL, which controls everything. But then you've got Super League is a separate part run effectively by the member clubs, and you've got Rugby Leage Commercial which controls the commercial broadcasting side. And then you've later got the RFL Council, which is everyone who gets a vote you know for it be Batley or Midlands or the armed Forces, et cetera. So it is a bit confusing. But the initial reaction I got was this was a first offer. Clubs weren't impressed by it, but they want to negotiate. It's not like, you know, we don't want this offer.
Speaker 2: That's it. It's dead in the water.
Speaker 3: They want to push for more money. It was I was told to me that there will be a meeting next Thursday, and then another meeting Thursday after that as talks continue. Now the Sydney Morning Herald that you reference article, which I think was in Saturday's paper. It was interesting that it said that this was likely to be the only offer. Now, whether that's a message from the NRL or whether that's one hundred percent spot on, I don't know. So that's interesting the difference in thought from the Northern the Southern hemisphere, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I if I was giving the RFL and the various bodies that are involved in this any advice, I would take no notice whatsoever about what the land is might lead to the press, because just over a week ago it was we don't think a deal can get done, and then all of a sudden there was an offer on the on the table. Also, I think I know why Valand has wanted it earlier, because now that he's just signed a new broadcast deal, everyone knows they've got some money. So the players want a bit of it, the States want a bit of it, and of course the English game wants a bit of that too. This whole thing, and to put it into some kind of context, I think the best predictor of what Man will do is what Man has done and I and I would put this right now in terms of British super League or European super League. Sorry, I put this in the same category as nineteen seventies when the Cane report came in and it was critical of Eddy wearing and whatnot and the things that happened. I would put it in the same basket. As how, the game had to take a close look at itself after the nineteen eighteen eighty two Kangaroota from a performance perspective that was seasoning then too. It's similar time in the game to Framing the Future, which was the precursor to super League. We then, of course had the Super League money and now IMG and then the NRL. Now, what's a common denominator across all of those things.
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 1: To everybody on the outside. You know John Kaine, Yeah, is a Manchester wiz kid. They used to call him. He must know what he's talking about. But the game pushed back and John Kaine got frustrated with what went on nineteen eighty two. The English performance has never recovered. The British performance has never recovered since nineteen eighty two. Framing the Future, there was some pushback based on that. In fact, it probably didn't get enough time to be ingested completely because Super League came on the scene. Now many people will forget that. Morris Lindsay came on the Late Morris Lindsay came on television to announce the deal with Sky at the time and they were mergers. He was on about Wakefield and Castleford merging and some other teams Manchester from Salford and Oldham, etc. And the game pushed back on that as well. So what we ended it with was, oh, don't get me wrong, it was far better packaged than the Sky, but it was lipstick on a pig. It was the same thing but packaged a little bit differently. And then we've got the IMG crit areas and whatnot. There's been plenty of pushback about that. There's been different patterns in the media of people being critical of it and whatnot. And now we've got the NRL. Now I can't, for the life of me, John see all the people involved in the UK being happy to just transfer power over to Australia and that will potentially be the sticky point.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, no, I mean, just jumping back a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the common denominators you say with the game report, with framing the future, all those things is they didn't get implemented. The game pushback and they didn't get implemented, so there wasn't really proper change. Now with I just want to clear up a little bit thing with this deal. People think so on the a lot on the Australian side, I think, why would they not accept it? You know, super exciting. On the English side, the general consensus is it's not enough money. Some people think that the NRLs try and wrote them Baldom et cetera, et cetera. Now, obviously, if you're going to buy something, you're not going to pay overs, are you if you can avoid it.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just common sense in a house and.
Speaker 1: It's a negotiation tactic, you know, Yeah, but loan you go high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would add to I would add to that, the NRL is not buying super League to destroy it or run into.
Speaker 2: The ground like that. Now, just like cutting off your nose despite your face like that makes no sense. The other thing that I find is there's been lost here.
Speaker 3: Is that so this six or seven million quid depending on currency exchange whatever, you know, a year for five years to get to thirty million for fifty percent ownership. That is not six or seven million as I understand it. And I could be wrong because the detail hasn't been publicly shared, but that's not for the clubs. Now, what I my understanding of the deal would be is Sky have say three games of the seven they pay roughly what they're paying now, which is twenty one point five million pounds, and then Dezone have the other four games. And I don't know what Dezone would be willing to throw in for that. Would that be six million, would it be ten million, whatever it is. So with design, you would have those four super League games, you would have all the NRL games, you'd have all the watch NRL stuff, so you'd have the Maddie john Ship all that stuff. So obviously you know the consumers will have to pay more, but overall there will be more money for the clubs. Now that would mean that they're getting more money than they're getting now under the current deal. And then that six million would be ring fence for the center, so that would go to promoting super League, marketing, super League advertising, super League pathways, all things that the RFL currently doesn't do because it has no money. Now that for me is massive because you can give clubs more money and the owners will be losing less, but that's not going to change the overall state of rugby league in England. There are so many things people figuring is there's so many things that need to change. There needs to be new leadership, there needs to be, you know, a push for the game to be in schools. The whole media profile, the publicity needs to change, you know, the way they engage with the media, the access they give. There are so many things. I could write you a two hundred point list, and I know you know most of them anyway, and you've been Australia for twenty years, but you know how much things need to change.
Speaker 2: So that's the key.
Speaker 3: Here is not the money figure for me, it's the it's the expertise, it's the operations. And we don't know who would sit on an independent commission. We don't know who from the NROL from Australia might be, or who they would hire to run the game. We don't know who they put positions. We don't know whether it be a team, We don't know. You know, there's no detail about fourteen teams, fifteen teams London coming. We're not at that stage. That's far down the line. We're not even close to that. What happens with IMG, we're not even at that point. We're just literally at a starting point.
Speaker 2: So people are getting way over excited, you know, asking what happens to the championship, what happens to you know, all the other elements. The NRL is interested in Super League.
Speaker 3: This is the initial thing, right Unfortunately, thing with the championship is the money that's involved there or to fund it. Well, it does come from the TV deal, like, it's not the priority. So yeah, I just I just ended at that point saying the opportunity here is massive. So it's not just about pure whole figures and money like it's the other things that the NRL could provide, and I think people have got to consider that when it's just not about Okay, how much money do we get individually. I mean, I think that's quite a limited, kind of selfish way of looking at this whole thing.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the word expertise, and because the NRL are doing such a good job of marketing the game in Australia right now, Yeah, I do support the CEOs and the chair men and chair women at the moment who were a little bit reticent because in this context, because we go into a very different market in the UK. For example, Salford have gone already, but Warrington, Wigan, Saint Helen's they are all within the same and similar boundaries to two of the three of the biggest four of the biggest English Premier League clubs in the world, and and London. London has actually failed on about eight occasions before two Australians have come in and contributed to it again because what happens in Australia is it seems like a no brainer for rugby league to be in London. It seems like a no brainer to have a Manchester franchise, for example, But there's unique circumstances within within the country as well. So I understand that little bit of a pushback from the from the sea yels and chairs of the of the Super League when it comes to this, just because it's an RL expertise doesn't mean it's necessarily going to translate into British expertise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want to push back a little bit on that thinking. And I do agree with you in part. But and yeah, I had this conversation with someone yesterday like, I don't know who's advising the NRL on what rugby league is like in the UK, because yet there may be some assumptions being made. I'd imagine they would reach out to people who have worked in Super League who either you know, have whether it be running clubs at the RFL, in the media, players, coaches. You know, there are so many, many, many people in Australia who have that or have worked in England. It is a very different sports market, but there's this kind of perception, you know, football is massive and why bother competing and all this. No, there's no argument football in England is like a religion. It is massive, it's everywhere, But you don't need to compete with football. You don't have the aim here is not to beat football. I think if we were second, that would be huge. At the moment nationally we're probably fifth or sixth. If that's went so far from it and it really annoys me is thinking, oh, well, you know, got to compete with the Premier League and the Champions League and the Championship and League one, League two non leagues.
Speaker 2: But that's all great. Like if rugby league.
Speaker 3: Was the second sport or the third sport even though it could be the fourth spoard in some markets in and I'm talking city markets in England, so that'd be huge. You mentioned London, like where does the London sit? So rugby union massively ahead of it, cricket massively ahead of it. I would say boxing even though it's not a direct comparison. Is it's not a league season, but you know boxing will get one hundred thousand people at Wembley.
Speaker 2: Darts.
Speaker 3: You know basketball's got a national competition. I know the attendances aren't massive, but exists ice hockey. You know, I live close to Sheffield. The Sheffield Eagles be fifth best if that rugby union, which doesn't even have it, has lower you know fifth sixth division teams get bigger crowds than the Eagles do and pay more money for the players. Are Sockey gets bigger basketball, So there's few markets and I would say Leeds is one. The Rhinos get less than Legion and I do, but they're a big club. And Wigan I don't know exactly what we're going athletic get, but you know they're competing there, but they don't need to be bigger than football. That's do you know what I mean? Like that's the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I never I never suggested that, No.
Speaker 3: Not you, but I see it on social media all the time and that's they also think And Paul Kadeker said this that the NRL is the premier League of Australia and that's complete nonsense.
Speaker 2: It's not nowhere near as dominant.
Speaker 1: No, I want to keep drilling down on this expertise, right because it doesn't matter. It's it's a bit similar, I think to one coach could work with Castleford and work fantastically and then go on coach Wigan and not work as fantastic. The same coach, the same expertise, but yeah, exactly exactly, And that's the analogy of what to use. Jason from Oki is a listener and he gave me two great questions this afternoon that I think are relevant to this point where we're at right now, because I want to focus on this word NRL expertise. His question was the NRL has just locked in a record right steal while expanding with Perth and P and G, a move already raising real concerns about diluting Australia's talent pool the state, the same long standing issue Super League faces, yet it's already tabled a formal offer seeking significant influence over the UK game. Do you think the ar L c under the land is actually has its house in order and the bandwidth for this and how transparent have they been about what it really means for Super League in their broader plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's a really good question. I think I spoke.
Speaker 3: To someone senior in the game here the other day and they made a.
Speaker 2: Really interesting point.
Speaker 3: The rugby league tragic, so obviously me and you and many thousands of other people they would look at, you know, a second rate Queensland cup player or a second rate and he's so well as cup player coming out of Super big and say, oh, well, you know, the talent has.
Speaker 2: Dropped and whatever.
Speaker 3: But if you're just the average fan or the casual fan, you don't really care or probably know that so and so hasn't played fifty games for the South or one hundred games for the Broncos. Like they probably don't understand the difference, as long as that player is doing a good job, you know. The start power thing I think is well, it doesn't matter on some level. I don't think it necessarily translates to everything. So I think that's one way to look at it. But yeah, with all these new clubs, we do need to increase participation, we do need to increase pathways. But I just want to circle back a little bit to the NRL deal thing. The other way of looking at is, Okay, the offer is not the offers low and it's not what super League wants. What if they're not this back and I'm not saying that offer, but if they're not back a partnership, what is the playing b league?
Speaker 2: What do we do next? What? What?
Speaker 3: What? What opportunity do we have in the future, Like I.
Speaker 1: Think Nigel Nigel would at all they think they've got the answers don't they. So that's what they say is a plumb but they.
Speaker 2: Don't have the answers to leave that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's you know, someone someone said that this to me the other day, and it is quite hilarious. Niger Wood, who was paid off by the game years ago, it's back running the game.
Speaker 2: Ralph River, who was paid off by the game years ago, he's back running a club.
Speaker 3: Rob Hicks, who was you know, left the RFL. I don't know whether he got a path or not, but anyhow, I was now back center RFL. Were there, you know, some of the key people in charge of this decision and in charge of run the sport. I mean, it is quite balmy. No, it doesn't seem they don't. Yeah, it does seem to be. It doesn't seem to be a plan B. So you know, I don't know if this doesn't work out, you know.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna drill I'm going to drill down still on the word expertise. But also the other word that Jason brought up was banned withidth the n r L of always announcing profits, this, that and the other. What a lot of people don't understand is that they've actually cut staff in a lot of places, particularly developed staff, head office staff and whatnot. Okay, so other people have told me that, yeah, that's n fact. Secondly, depending on who you talk to about the Perth Bears and the when I say depending and one group is everyone else, the other one is the n r L. Okay, Perth Bears is in real trouble, okay because of this skinnier staff. So I think it's a really important thing to talk about the bandwidth and the expertise. Plus there's a fair bit of expertise just left the room in Andrew Abdoll as well. Yes, so I think there were a great double act for the lands An Abdill. So there has to be genuine concerns I think, and I'm not saying that that stops the deal. I think what needs to happen. I wouldn't care personally if these negotiations went on for three years to with a You know, you either want something to happen or you don't. Right, if you're in a marriage, you either want it to work or you don't. And if it takes three minutes to fix it or three years or three decades, if you want to fix it, you'll fix it. And I think I would like to see that. I don't appreciate these deadlines that keep getting mentioned. And I think it's such a big it's such a big moment for the British game that because there's no going inte it will work either. I understand what you say, nor plant guarantees.
Speaker 2: But you say you could say they go on for three years.
Speaker 3: They can't go on three yearsly because the broadcast deal ends in what four months? So those broadcast negotiations with Scott for the next of it are on hold at the moment because the TV, the sorry, the NRL deal is you know, it's related to this.
Speaker 2: They'd all impacts.
Speaker 3: So we do need to have a conclusion in I would say, you know, in the next probably fortnite.
Speaker 1: But I would say that's the first conclusion, right, doesn't mean you can't go back to it once. The other question from Jason was the n our own Super League, what are they actually going to do to support grassroots clubs And the answer he says is probably not enough. They should be asking how they get more kids, how do they compete with AFL and soccer So he's talking about Australia there, so yeah, yeah, and that's the other thing. So if we're looking at you know, I'll go back to my point. The best clue of what man will do is what Man has done. Yeah, the NRL have cutback on development, right, And when I go into bush areas and do what I do, I'm seeing more and more a f L posts because the a f L have a different way of going about the grassroots things. So so Jason is asking about focus being not just all on the on the top of the funnel, and you've already mentioned that the way the way the deal is structured, that that could be something forthcoming too.
Speaker 3: I think the whole, the whole game in England, and it's not just super Lue, but the whole game, from grassroots participation, championship, the pathways, they all need. It all needs root and branch review, you know, you need or a royal.
Speaker 2: Commission that you basically need. You know, a complete overhaul avery you need.
Speaker 3: You need an overhaul in media and marketing strategy, the way that clubs and people and players their access. You need the media, the media ecosystem that reports on the game. I mean I spoke to someone in the NERL media this week because, as you said, this story, this NRL Super League potential partnership story is massive. You know, I was on sen, I was on a few radio stations in the UK. I would have been on Triple M, but I was asleep, so I didn't get the message. But and you know, story in the natural newspaper. People want to hear about this like it is a massive, massive moment. So I completely lost my train of thought. Then yeah, no, I've got it now again. Yeah, the whole way. You know, the person in the Roman who was saying, you know, Peter Lane's will go on the front food in the media all the time, either talking the game up or responding or whatever. There's no one in England who does that. There's barely people who understand the media cycle or how to get publicity, or they're all either hiding from it or trying to control it, or they just don't understand content news cycle in the NRL. As you know in Australia, apart from the major newspaper organizations and TV companies which cover the game, there is an ecosystem of podcasts, social media whatever, which is just constant showing, isn't it. It's constant. You can't really escape it. And that's what football, that's what Premier League football has in the UK. Now rugby league in the UK isn't going to have that to the same extent, but it can work harder and it can do more to create and now whether that's like NRL dot com a website or a media organization that it runs, whether it's it's its own podcasts, whether it creates its own talk shows like an URS three sixty whatever, there are things that could be done to increase the coverage of the game. And then it's an ecosystem because players become more popular, they become bigger stars, because they're being written about more, they're being talked about more, and they need to be educated about how to do that.
Speaker 2: There's there's just so many.
Speaker 3: Things like we could go on, you know, as I said the writer two hundred point, you know, playing about things that need to change and not everything that works in Australia is going to work in England and vice versa. Like they are different markets, but they're not so alien that you know, we're not talking about ice hockey and Russia and rugby league in Australia like we are talking about a former colony that is very much, you know, molded in the shape of the UK with very similar system, you know, culturally, very similar in many many ways. Both You could argue sports mad countries, you know, but rugby league is a small sport, you know, we're not so different.
Speaker 1: Should we do our bit to make the players a bit more famous? Should we talk about some football now for a bit rather than the politics of it? And I know we've got more questions pertaining to the politics. We can throw them in and keep people politics. The thing that thing is.
Speaker 2: You are you are, you are right Lee like we are.
Speaker 3: We are to talk about the action on the field, but what happens off the field massively impacts the Actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah that and that's why that's why we've moved it to the top of the pod. This is the biggest thing. But you know we've we've done a good thirty minutes on it. Now, let's talk let's talk a bit of football for a bit, okay. Hull k R twenty eight Catalans ten. Broadband scored two for whole k R. Litton scored a try, Burgess scored one and May scored one. Martin kick four goals. Catalans ten came from stains making some an as Spiral BChE kick the goal and seem pretty confident. Comfortable for who KR that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very comfortable.
Speaker 3: This was on at the same time as another game which I was watching on Thursday night, but I think ok I was sixteen nil adding and I put a head pretty comfortable in Catalands. Very ordinary this season, particularly late. I'll will share out Charlie stains He's scored a fantastic ninety minute trial.
Speaker 2: We went right through the whole whole Guard team.
Speaker 3: But apart from that, yeah, it was pretty much it's pretty much one way traffic. Tron made very very good, just looking very very good for whole KR and yeah, you'd say wholek are. I don't know how many WINNSDA this isn't around maybe five or six, but they're definitely hitting a bit of form the right part of the season and this Tuesday night game with Warrington in terms of the balance of who's going to finish where in the playoffs will be quite important.
Speaker 1: Thanks for mentioning Warrington. They beat York thirty points to ten. Few listone. Irwin Walker Lindop scored the tries for Warrington. Irwin kick five goals for York McShane and Benison with the tries and a goal to Benison as well. I guess the because there is that game on Tuesday, let's turn this into the preview part. Who best placed out of hul Kingston, Rovers and Warrington to do a quick turnaround and play again on Tuesday? Whose favorites there? Do you think that's hard?
Speaker 2: I think. I mean it's that whole car, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think that probably gives him a slight advantage obviously. George Williams just come back, which is a big boost for Warrington and you and ow and scored a fantastic trying that game, and I think Warrington, you know, playing pretty well at the moment. I think I think it's a very even match up those two. Because of Zach Craven Bark, I'd probably lean slightly towards k R. But yeah, I think George Williams coming back is big, you know, obviously if you can play some play well, you know, it's also big for England at the World Cup. So yeah, a very evenly matched game.
Speaker 1: That one one of the intriguing things about the news items that are coming out of Super League at the moment is some of the games themselves are actually throwing up some shot results. One of them was Leeds losing it home to Lee lead sixteen Lee twenty, Haul and Croft got the tries for Leeds. Kin of kick four goals for Lee, Charnley, Handley and Senior scored two. So Charley and Handley got one and Senior two and Cook kicked two goals. Everything I've heard about this game, I didn't see it, but the praise was for Lee's defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lee's defense was epic. Really really enjoyed this game. I think was the best of the round. Leeds had so much ball on Lee's line and Lee we were just roic in their tackling and their effort. Probably unlucky leads in the sense that I can't remember the player who did it, but it was a terrible hip drop on Harry Newman, which he should have been red CARDI was simping for that.
Speaker 2: He should have been red.
Speaker 1: CARDO are think giving hip drops in Super League lot.
Speaker 3: They're not giving cards, and they're giving the giving yellows. But I would imagine he'll get at least three or four weeks back. And it was kind of like a scissor hip drop which obviously I don't think Newman was injured, but it's very very dangerous. But yeah, Lee were great in this game. Leeds were just maybe it was a very very tiny margins and Ryan Hall went over right in the corner but his foot was just out. But yeah, Lee were magnificent. You might Handley you think he's I don't think he was in the England performance squad a while ago, but you think he's got to be a good chance for a center spot because he's been in fantastic form. But yeah, well done to Lee and it really it throws the title race. I think we can and Leeds are on the same amount of points now, am I right on the table points difference? Yeah, so we'll have a good look at the table with massive, massive favor that Lee have given their naps within. I was fairly happy about that a player I used to coach, Matt Lodge, signed for Leeds. I think this is a really good signing for Leed Logie. Logie hasn't got a contract for next year, so he's going to be hungry in that regard. I just think there's certain players who really suit the kind of football that he's played in England and I think Logie would fit into that category.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you coached him where did you coach him.
Speaker 3: Out Henry's Panthers. Yeah, look, I think I don't know Matt Lodge. I think you know, what happened in the past in New York was pretty horrendous. I think before that, didn't he in a under twenties or under eighteen's Miss World's Origin Game?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Cunt on his as well next Tuesday or jokes a sorry.
Speaker 3: Look, I think the incident in New York, I think he spoke about and James Graham's podcast a while, and I think you know, he spoke very well about that and opened up about it. And look, everyone deserves second chances. And I think he's kept his nose clean for quite a long time. But you know, that's still it's still there what happened. But you're right, he could be a good signing.
Speaker 2: Look, he's you know, he's a mobile prop boost right at the end of the season, and as you said, he doesn't have a contract for next year. I think he's been looking at super Light for a while because he's been unlikely to get another anner or contract, so he definitely will be motivated to.
Speaker 1: To do his best for the runners Hull, left C and Cass. Now as much as these interesting things going on at the top of the ladder, the bottom as all of a sudden become a lot more interesting because fresh after winning a game are back in the losing side of things. This week all fourteen Castle for eighteen Hull as well Bachelor, Baron and Martin scored the tries for a whole. Caesar kicked a goal for Castleford, a Tony Ravalawa and Hood were on the score sheet. Weaver kicked three goals. So I suppose the big news to come out of Hole is daily Cherry Evans. But he may be going to a club It could be finishing bottom Super League.
Speaker 2: Didn't you, coach Dallian? Yeah yeah, and imagine it would have been a bit of prodigy in those days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, great fellow, very misunderstood in some in some places, particularly after he did the I suppose the back.
Speaker 2: Flip on the gold coach Olympic. That was a gold medal backflip. Olympic gold medal winning back flip.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, just a really good bloke and you can always you always can tell the quality of a person by the friends to keep. And we've got some mutual friends who are great people and they can't speak highly enough of him as well. So it is what it is. I am worried a little bit about this signing because he turns thirty eight in February. There's a reason the Roosters have only had him for a year and they will have seen things that none of us will have seen. Yeah, so good luck see, but I hope it works for them. Tough trip to France next week for whole as well. They play Catalans next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll just touch on Cast like, great win for them. You know, they've had a horrific month.
Speaker 1: What's happening with the Cattleford coach, Well, we still don't really know.
Speaker 3: There's been another odd statement that the club's put out. Look, I think most people are the suspicion is that car will Brian car will go.
Speaker 2: That's kind of become untenable. But the whole way the Casts have dealt with it.
Speaker 3: I think has been poor. It's been a really bizarre situation. But credit to Cass their players. You know, hell, I think we're pretty poor. Quite soft defense from Helisea, which has been all season, but Cass gives their fans something to cheer about, so good, well done to the cast players. I thought plt. I think he set up two tries with some nice word about him. But yeah, going to d C. I was on BBC humber Side a couple of games about this. I disagree with you. I think. So he's thirty seven. He turns thirty eight in February. He's playing weekend weekend. I think he's played every game for the Roosters this year the top of the NRL. Scored two tries against Penrith on Thursday. As you know, he's barely missed a game in his whole career. Like in terms of you know, you've got these players who have you know, the terror peck and they're out for four months or they do an ACL and then they do He's had remarkable longevity in his well we say, fifteen to sixteen year career in the NRL. Obviously he's an ultimate profect. I mean there's a bit of that there. But he must look after his body, right, he must do all.
Speaker 1: That which we don't know what's going on week to week though, right he might not be training. I remember when I was at Manly the first year I was THET. Matt Alford didn't train him the first team.
Speaker 2: Because those quad problems.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. And some people can play like that, you know. Some some people need training and constant training. Others you can, you can. You can just put them on the punch bag or something to keep the cardio upen and everything else. And so we don't know when I and so I I. You know one thing, one thing that players always talk about, and I've seen this a thousand times in be coaching, it's the thought of doing another preseason, and you don't know until you get to that point. And that's why players often leave it late in the year sometimes to announce and they're retiring. So there's a lot. Yes, WHOLEFC fans should be excited, but don't don't be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be what you want or what you're thinking. Because the other thing with the roosters is what they've got around DC, right, and the structure of glob and everything else.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I made this point like the whole needs to sign some big forwards and some mobile forwards because every half the pack needs to play behind a good pack to make them look so look good. I think, look, you can only really judge a signing after the season, you know, But the fact that his longevity, he's been remarkably injury free. He's an exceptional leaner and half a leader and half packs generally, as you know, you know, shine towards the ladder in their career. Because of all the experience and the knowledge. Holse have had a terrible year. Their fans need some sort of respite and he is a big name. Look, super League needs big names of these publicity. He's played, you know, Queensland captain, played for Australia. I think there's a short term fix. It could be a very good one. I don't know what wage is on, but I heard the two hundred grand to go to whole f C. All the clubs he could have gone to, I would imagine it's quite what Fee is getting.
Speaker 2: I think Andrew John's didn't he call it? He called whole hell and I did listen.
Speaker 3: Danny Weiler, he didn't say holes of ship hole, but he alluded to that fact.
Speaker 2: A few people in Australia raning on hole.
Speaker 3: But look, I think it could be it could be a good signing for and I think with the Roosters, I think obviously Sam Walker's value was skyrocket this year. They've got Hugo Sabala, They've got other money that they other players that they need to upgrade. So I think that's probably more the decision of why they've decided not to reach on him.
Speaker 1: Well, Castleford on one side without a coach Saint Helen's or the other and the coach less sides meet each other next week. But who needs a coach because Saint Helen's absolutely flogged Wakefield forty six sixteen In Wakefield, Wakefield scored tries through Smoothie Anger and Simfield, and Simfield kicked two goals, but Saint Helen's wrapped up the point three from Sailor. He got hat trick, Murphy got two, Keeley scored a try, Davies scored two, and Hastings kick seven goals. This was another result where like had to look twice.
Speaker 2: It was a bizarre game.
Speaker 3: You say that Saint helen smashed Wakefield, but it all happened in the form of sixteen minutes. I think Wakefield considered close to thirty points in sixteen minutes.
Speaker 2: It's quite a bizarre game. Wakefield. We were ten years lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, scored two tries early St Alan's came rowing back, was ten twelve and then it was sixteen eight I think in the sixty third minute and Wakefield just absolutely fell apart.
Speaker 2: So completely bizarre game.
Speaker 3: Massive credit to Saint Helen's because you think a ten neeled down after the well what's happened there recently? You think they just collapsed, but they didn't. And for Wakefield you're just like, what's what's going on there? They were pit by Leeds last week but played quite well and then they just completely I mean, I think I think Daryl Pile said it was appalling and it's hard to disagree when you can see that many points in the end of the.
Speaker 1: Games aren't getting easier for them. To guess where they travel to next week they go to Wigan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got a tough and I think they've got Lee in the last few rounds as well.
Speaker 3: They've got a really tough run home. So yeah, pressure now on Wakefield. You know they've had a great season up until now, but they need to you know, I think you know unlikely to well what are they now?
Speaker 2: They're fourth?
Speaker 3: You know they might grab third, but they ain't going to grab second with the points difference of the Yeah four points difference now, so yeah, massive massive win for for Saint Helen's.
Speaker 2: Tristan Saylor was I think you got a hat trick. He was. He was fantastic in that game.
Speaker 1: Any noises about the next Saint Helen's coach, well, it was.
Speaker 3: A report I think in the cinema about Shane Flanigan being standing out and I think that's been quickly.
Speaker 2: Not back.
Speaker 3: I don't think, well, I don't know if Fanighan wants to be a head coach again, like I think he's been through the ringer obviously St Georgia Aluaro.
Speaker 2: He does a fair and in media doesn't.
Speaker 3: I can see him being an assistant coach somewhere in the NRL, but it's a big move over the other side of the world.
Speaker 2: But yeah, nothing, you know.
Speaker 3: I think I think there are some some chat maybe about Matt Bollen or one of the Brisbane assistant coaches, but I don't think. I don't think Trent Barrett as a former Wigan player would go down well. And I also Trent Barn's record it mainly and the Bulldogs, would you know. I think if you're sending as you'd probably stick clear personally. But you know nothing nothing I've heard anyway in the last couple of days.
Speaker 1: Well, surely the job everybody wants in Super League is now the Huddersfield job again, as they are now unleashed. Four wins on the roll in a row. Sorry, they went to to lose and they did not go there to lose. To lose scored ten through hands and us Armey and a goal from Shoreks. But Huddersfield got twenty six, Household got to Greenwood scored one, Wrench scored one and Flannagan kicked five goals. I thought he was in for the same job too, Flanagan. But that's a mini revival, isn't it. Four wins in a row and we'll get to the table and have a look at the impact soon. But what a great story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, off the bottom of the table harris Field for the first time probably since February I.
Speaker 1: Probably since twenty fifteen or something, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, massive, Yeah, I think it is a revival.
Speaker 3: They you know, they really deserve this when dominated from the start. I think I had two simpler players SimBin Huddersfield, so they had a bit of adversity but didn't throw into tower. So yeah, great, great performance from them away from home in France.
Speaker 1: Inton away next week, Warrington away next week and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be, that'll be, that'll be a really good ta.
Speaker 1: Warrington are playing on Tuesday, so exactly.
Speaker 3: And look, I think I said this, I think last week if Hardersfield finished, don't finish bottom, if they finished thirtieth or twelve, that's considering how bad they've been in all the problems and you know the kind of spin and bullshit that's around the massive announcement of moving to Juicebury with no plan to return to Huddersfield. The players and the coach to serve a lot of credit for what we've done in the last month. And yeah, that's great to see them, you know turn around.
Speaker 2: More has been a very, very tough twelve months.
Speaker 1: I'm worried about the Bradford Bulls, John.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: They only scored six against Wigan. Acker's got looked for and Hooley kicked a goal. Wigan got thirty four, two from Wardall, Kieran French and McDermott and kur scored to try each Smith kick five goals. I'm a bit worried about Bradford Bulls.
Speaker 3: Although we're going for twenty eight and a lot, so you know, the game was effectively over. We can think at something like twelve wins in a row or something, you know, something ridiculous, massive momentum of their building. They're looking really good at the business end of the season. But yeah, Bradford look massive injury problems there, so you know you've got to put an account.
Speaker 2: I think considering they knew.
Speaker 3: They were going to be tenth in the IMG gradings well well before. I think their recruitment for this year has been a bit ordinary. And look, I think Kurt Haggert's doing a good job and there's definitely fight there, but they're well outmatched. And I watched the game put out a tweet some brother thing fans that seem to think that I've got an agenda against the club.
Speaker 2: I don't, but Odds is just.
Speaker 3: Not suitable for Super League and crowd looked very poor in that game. Now, I know Bradford City were playing first home game of the season, so that's going to take away some fans, but you know, it is wigging at home.
Speaker 2: You know, you'd like to think you can get a.
Speaker 3: Better crowd for that, but yeah, Bradford bottom, that's it's not great for them. The difference, as we know with Bradford compared to York and to lose is that Bradford have full funding and you're going to lose don't.
Speaker 2: So we don't know how the end season.
Speaker 3: I think most people expected to lose York and Bradford to be a bottom three, but at this point the bottom three is Hull, Outhersfield and Bradford. So yeah, and wait to see the next We've got a month of regular season, then we've got four games left in the regular season to see how that pans out.
Speaker 1: They're all on twelve points. Those three sides Bradford the bottom with twelve points, but the worst points difference huddersfielding thirteenth or left Sea in twelfth. Looking at the points difference, who left Sea do have a decent cushion, so if they end up on similar points to each other, then whole of c might avoid the wooden spoon. York Knight's sitting above them on eleventh on fourteen to lose are also on fourteenth on fourteen points as well, and they've slipped a tenth now because Castle the Tiger's got the win. They're on sixteen points, good win for them. Cattle and Dragons are in eighth and they're on eighteen points. Saint Helen's if they have lost this week, I think we could have said goodbye to their final chances. But I bet they're cocker hoop this week. Much needed win for them. They're in seventh twenty six, but the still four points behind Lee, who were in sixth in the in the last playoff spot with thirty uk Are are in fifth on thirty but they have a far superior points difference and they've played one less game which they'll catch up this week. Wakefield have slipped to fourth now, they're on thirty two and their points difference is only a little bit worse than Warrington's. But Warrington have a chance to put a cushion between them and Wakefield if they beat ky Are on Tuesday in that extra game, because they're on thirty two points as well. Top of the ladder. Really interesting, but Leads have got the points different cushion. But we're Gonner in second on thirty six points and Leads are at the top on thirty six points. But they do play each other in the next couple of weeks, don't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm thinking about a fort I. I mean, that's going to be a huge game. Apparently may decided the league leaders shield. Yeah, I can't see. I can't see. Even with that win yesterday, I can't see sirt Helen's sneaking at the top six, particularly the format whole can Lea and Wakefield six points above them.
Speaker 2: I think Wakefield would at least get you one or maybe two more wins in the next months.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it should be some interesting movements for the next few weeks.
Speaker 1: There's been some noise this week, hasn't they The RFL have been talking about the Championship, and obviously people from Featherstone their ears will have pricked up to see what's going on next year. So two questions, what's the latest on the Championship for next year and how was Featherstone looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did a couple of stories championship stories this week that are that are free reads that people can can go out and check out on Patreon.
Speaker 2: Spoke to Roderie Jones.
Speaker 3: Now you know he was talking about a revamp for reset of the Championship six kind of point thing. Obviously the salary cap being one of the first ones, but they're looking at the structure, the calendar, all these things. You know, you could say there's a lot of words and a lot of quotes, but yeah, I think the championship this year, I think Scott Taylor, the head coach of GOOL said had.
Speaker 2: Been a nightmare.
Speaker 3: I think Jason Dimitri, the head coach of Lung called the shambles. It's been very tough merging Championship League wonner and you know, I think some clubs have had, you know, seven games without seven weeks without a home game.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we really need to kind of work out what is the role of the Championship, What is it?
Speaker 3: What is its purpose? Is it you know, feeder teams to Super League? Is it clubs trying to get into Super League? There's because I think there's a lot of work to get you know, there's no TV deal, the media coverage is tiny. I don't see how having an unlimited quota of foreign players there is a good thing for the British game personally. And on Featherston, yeah, there's no decision yet on Featherston. The administrator did publish his report into what's happening at the company that went bust. So they're targeting a seal of the stadium there, the Millennium Stadium and the land around it this month. They I think it's about two point nine million to unsecured creditors. So yeah, I think it's quite convoluted the Featherston situation because I think there's a declaration of trust there with a company that I believe is owned to a part owned by Mark Campbell, who was the former Featherstone owner and champion and chairman. Look, I think on Featherston's it's going to be very difficult.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they'll have a team next year or not.
Speaker 3: Obviously it'd be great for them to have a team becaus that he's a rugby league mad area. But you know, I don't think having a team run by the people who used to run Featherston is a good idea. Like I think, you know, after what's happened there, there needs to be you know, there's certain people he shouldn't really be allowing to run clubs when they've run our clubs into ground into the ground. You know, it's like a fit and proper person's tests, you know, which is supposed to exist that doesn't ever actually get enforced.
Speaker 2: At rugby league.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking about fit and proper again in a moment. But before I get to that, is everybody rushing out to buy their England World Cup shirts.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got a piece. I've got an opinion piece.
Speaker 3: On that in the eye. Well should be coming out Monday's paper. I know we talked a little bit about us last week, but we still don't know who's going to show the games in England. There's no TV broadcast to be there's less than two months now to the tournament starts now. Obviously it's in in Australia and they've got Channel seven and they are, you know, doing publicity MPR, aren't they In Australia that's where you're going to sell tickets.
Speaker 2: But in the UK, which I think is the second second biggest.
Speaker 3: Market for rugby league in the world, there's been bugger all the RFL aren't pushing it. Brian mcdermot's not out, they're doing interviews, no one's talking about it, and I think that's quite worrying. And it's the same thing that we get pretty much every world Cup cycle. International Rugby League just doesn't get publicity, doesn't get attention.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't too bad last year because obviously they are the RFL needed to make money on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah the Ashes, the Ashes I think was different, Yeah, because there was you know, but in the background there is this dispute between the RFL and the International Rugby League over I think it's four hundred thousand pounds that the IRL says the RFL owe them from the last World Cup from hosting fees. So you know, there's that's kind of under the surface, and the RFL and the NRL are focused on this potential deal and the NRLs you know, christ Church and Perth and PNG, but we've got a World Cup on, you know, like can we can we get some promotion of it? Can we get some marketing of it?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many media outlets or journalists from this part of the world will be going to Australia for I think I can probably count them on the one hand, but there has been some talk that Premier Sport might be the broadcaster. I don't think that's going to be great. But the other cork is that the BBC isn't that interested in showing the games outside of maybe the England games. So that would be a blow because in the last World Cup, the BBC showed every game live. I think it was like sixty one games, you know, women's, men's wheelchair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we could do a whole podcast on International Rugby League. Probably do that just before the World Cup starts. But we can't expect their game to grow in that sense unless we actually dedicate time and money and effort to push it out.
Speaker 1: We're all kind of focused on club regularly. I go back to the bandwidth thing. I'll go back to the bandwidth thing that Jason mentioned earlier that you know this. This is obviously lacking, lacking attention at the moment in the right places Johnny's tweet of the week and also doubl Inger, Johnny's job you wrote. Good to see the Sydney Morning Herald doing a proper piece on Andrew Charmers. The NRL needs to run a mile from him. For those who don't know, please furnish them with some information.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was last weekend.
Speaker 3: I think just before we we recorded last Weekend's pot that there was these pop pieces. I think one was in the Australian and one was in the New Zone. Heard about Andrew Charmers and the Southern aucas which is the christ was a christ Church bid for the twentieth ral club in the South Old New Zealand. Now Andrew Charmers. If you're from this part of the world, you should know Andrew Andrew Chalmers. What is because he was a director at Salford under the Martin kukash Era. That was a terrible error for Salford. There's no disguising that he bought the Bradford Bulls, oh sorry, bought the Bradfoot Bulls. He acquired the Breadfoot Balls after they went bust I think it was in twenty eighteen and then took them, relegated them into League One and that was a disaster. And then there's serious questions about how he was picked as the owner of Bradford close relationship with niger Wood. So that was a disaster. You can ask pretty much any Bradford fan or you know, anyone involved in the game over here and he just basically got free ride, you know from the NRL media. Now, even before this, before all the Salford and Bradford stuff, he ran the New Zealand Rugby League and I think it was around two thousand and six thousand and seven as chairman, ran them into I think it was a six or seven figure debt. He only was in charge for eighteen months, so that was a failure. And he also ran forestry businesses in New Zealand which went into debt. You know, I'm talking twenty to forty million pounds in debt. All these things are available online, you know, you can google numerous stories about it.
Speaker 2: But then you've got these reports.
Speaker 3: About him about oh, you know, this is great, We're going to do this, and it's just why the NRL should not be entertaining any bid involving him, like it's just nonsense.
Speaker 1: S on the NRL. Queensland are looking for a new coach.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's going to be Cameron Smith, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well Wayne Bennet's come out swinging for him today. No wayn Bennett' suggesting why Bennett was going to well the only the only tell me why Wayne Bennett couldn't do it? That resultely got with them the COVID time.
Speaker 2: Can we have a left field? Can we get Fatty back?
Speaker 1: You don't you don't have saying you don't have a saying it mate. Your own New South Welshman in recent weeks have been jesting with you about Manly's fortunes and suggesting that Fuzzballs at the end of its time. I think it's officially dead now, isn't it. I mean they're probably not finals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thrown into freshwater beach.
Speaker 1: Now. The big thing I want to talk about is the leaks coming from the Broncos. Now, whether it's an ex employee, has has been suggested by someone with.
Speaker 2: Someone with the initials BT or TV or something like that, wasn't.
Speaker 1: Look. I would assume this whoever's doing it needs to understand the damage this he's doing to this organization, whether they're in the organization outside the organization, because it's been an absolute hatchet job on Madge McGuire and some of these people that are obviously leaking things or or it's been suggested to leaking things. Mage McGuire has done a lot more in the game than they have in terms of coaching, and some of the things are absolutely pathetic. I mean one of them was apparently the players wondered why they did such or such a thing. Second was a bed wasn't big enough for two of the bigger players. Honestly, the word entitled doesn't even cover this. And the Brisbane fans aren't really enjoying listening to this stuff and it's and it's they've been leaked. Isn't good because Brisbane's quite a down to earthplace, Queensland as a rule of quite down to earth and there's a humility about them most of the time. It's awful, It's absolutely awful what's going on. And I think it also goes against the fabric of what rugby league is and what it should be. Basically it's and I think it came out in the performance at the weekend. They got absolutely hammered by the New Zealand Warriors in Brisbane as well. Have you got some questions for us.
Speaker 3: John, Yeah, I would just say that the leaks to the Broncos, I mean all that last year as well, didn't it. I can remember the Harvard Cruz in Sydney and then obviously the Yeah, the Broncos players I think after winning the Very Ferral had some shots at buzz Rockfield and so it's always been a league club. Yeah, we do have a lot of questions. We're trying to run through it as quick as possible, obviously. I think there's quite a few that we've already talked about issues. One from left Gilman on Twitter. Do you think the Championship needs to be relaunched and given a better profile by the RFL But the Championship and amagur game need help financially along with better promotion. We have talked about this, Yeah, I agree. He also had another one. Do you think clubs and development areas be given special dispensation by the rfls such as Wales? Aspects such as more central funding player probably on loan players. I think they should, yeah, I think, you know, if the NRL get involved. I think they're consulted about the Dublin game. I think places like Wales and France and Ireland definitely, you know, whether it be a development officer or some sort of good funding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, London is another one.
Speaker 3: Obviously development officers were cut back a long time ago, so that's kind of an obvious one.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: Again it comes back to who pays for it, doesn't it. One from Gareth Dickinson. Do you think that Super League is in a state where they can turn down the offer from the NRL is Super League valued at sixty million pounds over the five years. I don't think personally the clubs will accept us. They were thinking a lot more. We've covered that, yeah, pretty much covered. I don't think they're in a state to turn it down. But the value isn't sixty million. It would be well, sorry it is be sixty million or close to seventy. But yeah, well have talked about that question from Gavin Kin personally filled their roster. Who are the PNG chiefs looking at in the Super League?
Speaker 2: I heard a while ago about Jack Wellsby, but I put that to Michael Chamis and he denied that was the case.
Speaker 3: He's I think off contract in twenty eight I've not hurt anyone else.
Speaker 2: I'm in part from obviously the P and G players that have signed from London and.
Speaker 1: For an extra year or two.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, I don't look I think, you know, I think Brian Tyer, who's a great signing. I think they're looking big, aren't they. There's a lot of speculation about Nathan Cleary and PNG.
Speaker 1: May end up there.
Speaker 2: I think PNG what.
Speaker 3: They will do, they'll do what they are doing. They're signing some big names, and they will get a lot of young up and coming PG talent to go around that, you know alongside it, won't they because obviously you can front load your cap with you know, some million dollar players or more, and then you know you've got some local players who might be on you know, two hundred grand, which if you're in PNG, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Goes very very far, especially if you're in a compound. M sorry a resource.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Question from Rigas where does the fines money got the RFL. I'm not exactly sure where it goes. Imagine it goes into the general coffers. Yeah, Chris was part of fine. I don't know. Question from Binds I eighty three. Does the six again go against player welfare? Does it create more fatigue bodies involved in morelug collisions? Sorry, then in turn creates injury and head knocks. I'll let you into that one.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's just a six again. I think it's a combination of things. So the fact that the six again was brought in a matter of weeks before or sorry, it was adapted a matter of weeks before both competitions on both sides of the world, So you were preparing for a different game. Essentially, I think the amount of games that the players are playing is obviously an area of concern, but I do also think the training levels. I think in the NRL the train too hard, and indeed their stuff going through the courts about the player that passed away a few years ago is still going through legal processes and there's been other cases too, or in Super League as I don't think they train enough for the game that they're playing in. And I think, you know, the balance is really fine, and I think that's why there's so many players breaking down in the in the English Super League as well, so I think six again obviously has something to do with it. But yeah, six Again's okay as long as everybody has time to prepare for it.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good answer.
Speaker 3: Moving on the questions on Facebook one from Billy Ingram, how would you like rugby league in the UK to be structured in terms of leagues, conferences, et cetera, et cetera and where would you like to see their B teams?
Speaker 1: I mean that's a pretty tough one answer, so I think we can summarize it though. Do we want everything below the super League to be a feeder to super League. You said this earlier or is it? Is it an opportunity for Featherstone to come back and get to Super League? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Personally I think yeah, there needs to be over all of all this. I mean, ideally we want teams in Manchester and Birmingham, but you know, Dublin whatever.
Speaker 2: But we've got to be realistic where we are, what money we have. I think you know, if.
Speaker 3: You want it, if you're a Championship club or you want to be in Super League and you need to apply and have an application process like there is in the NRL. I think a lot of people would be against that. They think relegation promotion is you know, English cultural history heritage. Sorry, and they may well be right, but I think the whole kind of that structure needs to change. Personally, that's the fight. And yeah, it probably need a lot more time to look into it and come up with more answers, Billy, But that's the top one answer question for me and Jodson. How about fifteen teams in Super League next year? No, No, I think we've talked about that for a while. Yeah, I don't think the talent's there. The playfool you know, I think we're seeing that with a lot of the games that I've watched this weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, Legion League was great, but a lot of them have been one sided and yeah, not great in terms of quality.
Speaker 3: Chris Macy, if this in our investment does happen, how are the RFL's relationship with IMGB affected. Yeah, IMG is not really as I understand, not've been mentioned in any of these talks, but yeah, I would imagine if a deal with the NRL was struck, I don't know if the partnership with IJW would continue.
Speaker 2: I doubt it would be question from Gareth Mallam.
Speaker 3: IMG transparency needs looking at because at the moment looks arssical and none of the fans fully understand what is happening.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: The interesting thing about the a AMG is how long have they been in situe now with Rugby League again? Is it four years?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it was twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are we seeing a commensarate amount of improvement in the game. Look on all it all, it's measurable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think IMG IMG has done some good work behind the scenes on the digital profile, working with clubs. I don't necessarily think it's been as successful as we would have liked. I think there's been some progress made, but I think obviously if there's an NRL partnership and that completely changes the landscape, and yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think that would. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The IMG transpiracy though, that Gareth's talking about, I do get what he's saying, because we don't know who will be in Super League now.
Speaker 2: Huddersfield are out there saying that they'll be in Super League while you know a lot of people would probably want them on.
Speaker 1: Their own media posturing, aren't they the posturing in the media.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of media posturing and I think the IMG criteria could be a lot you know this led boards things where you bring them in for one week and is.
Speaker 1: He a face? Is he an a MG face attached to rugby league?
Speaker 2: I e.
Speaker 1: This is John Davidson from AMG. He's the man.
Speaker 2: So there was original for the first couple of years, but the head of IMG in terms of regularly moved back to Sydney and they haven't done an interview for I would say at least over a year. But yeah, they don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no sort of Yeah, so yeah, I think we do need greater transpiracy on the criteria and how it's enacted. Question from Olie about the NRL deal. How long do you think the process of the nrdal will take? Is there another offer likely? Is the TV deal dead with Sky? We've obviously talked about this, but the TV deal with Sky is not dead. I think it's just that it's on limbo at the moment because it's all interconnected. David Gilbank, I'm intrigued to know how an NRL stuff Super League Morgan team will win over the Southern based national media. This has been a major issue prevailing the growth of our game turning into a Northern game into a national one for too long. Our lack of vision has been prevented our growth. Our pr has been worth for So come on, NRL, how are you going to create?
Speaker 1: I've got something for you here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Peter the Lands has been described to me from people who would know as being more powerful than your South Wales premier because of it, because of his.
Speaker 2: He's the head of New Wells Racing as well, isn't he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so in terms of his influence, say, there's not many people in London who know who Peter of the land is that said, he has obviously got certain connections. We ended up in Las Vegas for example, a few things have happened. I think he was an audience with Joe Biden at some point, So he does have a bit more pull than your average rugby league person and I think that's what comes it comes down to in terms of the Southern media, if you like. Now, the other thing about the Southern media, so many of them are based up north. Now that's the other thing. It's not Fleet Street anymore. There's so many So much of the media in the UK is now coming out of media your city, isn't it at Salford Keys, So it's not quite the same the same Southern media if you like.
Speaker 3: No, but yeah, rugby league doesn't really register on the news desks, you know, and the Times, to Telegraph, the Mail, the Sun, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, you'd have to invest money in pr you'd have.
Speaker 1: To need to go to Greg's again to get the profile.
Speaker 2: Well you need to Yeah, you need to open your doors, don't you You.
Speaker 1: Need to Yes, yeah, you need to.
Speaker 3: Have You need to have leaders and people in any positions who will actually do interviews and say things question from Leonard Gregory, who is a whole KR can d see a bit of glitter on a tour that propels Helcy to a glorious seventh We have which are definitely not like questions some people from Western Sydney in future.
Speaker 2: Sent forward.
Speaker 3: How much of the proposing or funding goes through to super League clubs and it will become with conditions et cetera, set to be spelling facilities, marketing community.
Speaker 2: We have touched on that, so saying there's not a lot of exact detail yet.
Speaker 3: Question for Mike Harrison, if the NL demand less super League teams, who do you think? Who do you guys think will make the cut? I'll answer this, Mike, there's no demand about less super League teams at this point.
Speaker 2: We're so far from that.
Speaker 3: I think if the NRL at this point said well there's only going to be a ten or twelve ten super League, that's on what automatically teams that would not vote for the deal. So we now never even get over the line, so we're not given near that point. Neil Ormiston, what's your understanding of how super League saying Broacas still could put together and given the NRL are increasingly looking to scared it secure their share risk free design, effectively funding their fifty percent state. What are they looking to actually invest? Example and resources are the conditions attached to the share purchase, just as delivery of the increased point sponsorship broadcast ink on from that resource investment. Last one is the fifty percent state controlling I would have the chair of r.
Speaker 2: Or seeing casting vote. They're all great questions.
Speaker 3: I don't know honestly the answers to them. I think we talked about the first bit about how a potential skider is owned broadcast still could fit together what I was told from the many people I spoke to on Thursday that there isn't hasn't been a lot of detailed shared So I think those are things to be worked out, and I think I'm just double checking. I think that is all the questions, a lot of them this week. But I really appreciate everyone.
Speaker 2: Who's took the time to write it on social media and send us a question.
Speaker 1: So at Johnny d Davidson on X John Davidson journalist on Facebook if you want to get a question to me. At RL coach on the Net on X but Rugby League coach Facebook, Instagram or email me admin at Rugby League Coach dot com. Tote you I've got a question for you on who's going to win all the Super League games next week. So whole k Are and Warrington on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: We did talk a little bit. I'm just gonna lightly go with Are in a close.
Speaker 1: One Friday, Wigan hosting Wakefield Wigan at the same time Lee hosting Bradford Bulls. Could have just stayed on the right side minds were a week.
Speaker 2: Lee by about twenty six points.
Speaker 1: Saturday at three o'clock, Saints are hosting Castleford in the Coachless Cup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's that's an interest.
Speaker 3: That's a bit of a I have won to pick both teams, having just one, I'd probably say Saints because I was surprised their manner of comeback and impressed by the man who come back against wake turn down.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think I think someone else.
Speaker 1: And saying O k Are after back up again on Saturday they lay to lose at five thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would probably still go okay, I even though you know, backing up in the short turn round.
Speaker 1: Catalans are hosting Hall f C at nine o'clock UK time Saturday.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one. It's actually been very poor for a long time. The John cart Right Cup, I would being in purple and I'll go with the dragons on that one.
Speaker 1: And Halleluliah. There's two games on Sunday. Warrington hosts the Huddersfield Giants the Unleashed Giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that's also a tough one.
Speaker 3: Maddiceville four in a row, Warrington, you know, pushing for the finish his hot I think maybe just Warrington, just just and York hosting leads. Yeah, I think Saturday, I think Leeds will bounce back from that lost to Lee and get a big win.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: There you go, mate, another man episode of Super League three sixty. Well done mate. Almost this time next week we might have more to say on the than our real I think this is going to drag on for a couple of weeks. I think we'll have a bit of content in around that. So I hope everybody enjoyed our opinions and we'll hear from You'll hear from us next week, no doubt.