Speaker 1: Weird things happened in the weird weird weird guys welcome to Blets have said, so, I kid you not, this is one of the most magical and amazing manifestations that has ever occurred in my life. For four years now, since we've started this show, I have in secret, and you can ask my wife later, I have in secret told my wife I want Kylie Bear to join us for a chat about UFOs and the paranormal. And you are sitting here with us tonight. I like, honestly can't believe it. It's it's the craziest thing. And for those who are out there and not sure who this wonderful human being is, he is a sensational phenomenon in the world of anime and voice acting. You are probably one of the most well the most credits accumulate, I mean some of the most legendary roles in all of anime. I think it speaks for yourself. And when they hear your voice, if they watch anime, they're gonna know one of my absolute all time favorite characters in all of fiction. Adult Gohan, Oh my god, that is yeah. Isn't saying that even weird?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 3: It's incredible though, Like Gohan is one of the very coolest parts of Dragon Ball Z. It's one of the coolest characters in anime period hard stop.
Speaker 1: So anyway, without further ado, I could go. I could go thirty minutes just gassing you up. So, Kyle, welcome to the show. Thank you so much for joining us. Yes, it's a blessing to us.
Speaker 4: Thank you, blessing right back at you, guys, Thank you so much for having me, because you know, I've been working in the industry for twenty five years, starting with Gohan on Dragon Ball Z. When the character first appears after the time skip after cell, he goes to high school right and he meets Videl and Go ten kid Go ten comes into play, which Kara Edwards voice both of those. And Kara and I came from the world of radio. We were on Radio Disney and then we happened to hear about open auditions for what was then Funimation which is now known as Crunchy Role. So our careers and voiceovers started at the same time. And yeah, it was wild. Here I was doing one of my childhood dreams, get on the radio. The second one was to do cartoon voices. And then suddenly it's it's that opportunity, but it's also something I was already a fan of for like two or three years before that, when the Canadian English dub first started airing in America before they moved into Texas.
Speaker 3: Wow, well you were involved in the Canadian dove as well.
Speaker 4: I only as a fan I watching it. Yeah. Yeah, but since then I have met many of the cast too, And you know, that's that's a real perk to getting to go to these cons and then fanboying out over that. It's like, oh my god, I heard your voice for decades. This is so cool to finally meet you. You know.
Speaker 3: Wow, So before you got that role, you kind of already had like the ambition.
Speaker 4: Like absolutely really do that. I was a kid, probably seven or eight years old, and my dad and I would watch Looney Tunes every Saturday, and he told me about mel Blanc, legendary voice actor. There is no other one of a kind. And when he explained the process, it's like, yeah, he goes into a recording booth and he records and he does the silly voices and all that. I had no idea it was all about acting, which it is. It's not about doing silly voices or impressions, and I learned about the genius of crafting those performances and giving them personality traits or tics or things that even though you can kind of tell it's the same guy doing the voice, that's not the point. The point is he could make acting that totally sold what those characters were doing, and that just just firmly implanted within my head. I wanted to contribute to that one day professionally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he was an absolute genius because he would do things that were unconventional. Yeah, like you know, like the screaming is really like the iconic thing. I mean, one of the many iconic things he did, but it's like he's just screaming in his own voice. He would be like bugs Bunny one second, and then the next second he's just screaming in his own voice. Yeah, totally so funny and iconic.
Speaker 4: And you could try to hear the room noise when he screamed that loud. Oh yeah, it was great. And I think he was also kind of responsible for voice actors even getting credits at all, because in the beginning years of all that, they didn't credit the actors in the voice over REALM and he kind of had a little trick up his sleeve when it came time to renegotiate his contract in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what an inspiration, what a legend.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know it's like I was, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little I was a little star studded in the very beginning of the the intro here. And I know we said the one character, you know, Gohan, because I'm a dragon ball z nut. I don't know if you can see this, Kyle, but that's Chenron on the back of my phone. I mean, I'm telling you, I live and breathe it. But let's let's uh, let's not just glance past that. There are so many amazing roles that you are also known for in anime and beyond video games movies that are also amazing roles that I have grown up watching. Beyond Gohant, your influence is so massive. It's to the point to where like I'll just be watching a random anime and I hear your voice, I'm like, oh, that's that's that's you. You know, before we started recording, I was telling you I didn't know you were in one piece. I didn't know you were those two big characters. I was watching an episode about two weeks ago and I heard you and your voice. I recognized it on a thug, just some random thug.
Speaker 4: I've been many a thug, many of pirates, including one of the main thugs in the very first episode.
Speaker 1: That's the one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the long hair and the goateee walks in the in the gang leader and in the in the bar or restaurant or whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I just saw the flashback and I was like, wait a minute, that's Kylie Bar because I knew we had an interview the mountain.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, and.
Speaker 1: In that moment, I'm getting somewhere with this right just for the audience to hear the manifestation part. So, just a couple of weeks ago, I watched that flashback and I was like, huh, so, Kylie Bear isn't in one piece. But I thought you're just a thug. I had already seen two of your major characters that because of the acting that you were like, I couldn't tell it was you, you know what I mean, And that goes into what you're saying, you know, the acting. I just watched one hundred episodes last month of this character Veggie for our one piece Freaks out There. Oh my god, it's incredible. I lay in bed thinking about the little the binkie, the cigar binkie with the baby and just the whole Yeah. I mean it's it's hilarious, man, but it's it's incredible that you're here. I do feel a little bit of like, well, this is weird. I have for years I've wanted this, and it's like, now it's here. What do I do with it?
Speaker 4: Well, it's really cool. You know, you made it manifest, so you put it out into the world that came white back. Itches.
Speaker 2: My god, that is so trippy.
Speaker 4: I love that. It's so.
Speaker 1: Anyway, like I said, I could just gas you up and gas you up. So let's get to some meat. I saw an Instagram post several years ago, which is when I started to believe, Okay, there might be something here, and I saw that you had a post. I don't know if you still post about this kind of thing, but that you're you know, into UFOs and the paranormal and things of that nature. So I wanted to talk about that. Yeah, because as far as I know, in this voice acting space. There are many people who's vocal about that thing. As far as you know, spooky, weird things, it seems to be a lot of you know, just keeping it about what it is.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So, at what point in your life did you develop this deep fascination for the weird, paranormal, the UFO. Have you had any sort of experiences with this kind of thing, believe it or not.
Speaker 4: No, I never have, but it's always fascinated me. I'm gen X So I grew up in the in the seventies and there used to be that great show called In Search of hosted by Leonard Nimoy. He would cover different things one episode on Bigfoot or UFOs or ghost or you know, all these different things. And I was just fascinated by that. And then, you know, come along to like the nineties. I start listening to Art Bell Coast to Coast AM and I'm like, Wow, nightly, I can hear about this every night on the radio. This is awesome because I'm a night ol anyway, and just hearing the wide variety of people from all walks of life, whether they're in the military or the priesthood or you know, hearing stories about you know, Betty and Barney Hill or Edwin, Lorraine Warren and all that stuff. Regardless of whether things were debunked or not, it was still so fascinating to me. And yeah, I love that of a big horror buff. I love supernatural and horror movies of all kinds. And yeah, that stuff has fascinated me for years. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know some people associated with some of those people like I don't know ed Lorraine Warren, but I know some of the people that made the movie about her life. So it's like it always seems like in this circle, there's one degree of separation from everybody. It's really weird.
Speaker 4: Well, if you've seen the Conjuring movies, you know that's based on them. Ye know Ed Lorraine, and you know they obviously changed a lot about them. They made them younger and prettier.
Speaker 1: You know, I actually had wan so the parent family, you know, I'm talking about like the the not the ed Loraine Warren, but then the family that the movie is based on, that the Conjuring, right, yeah, yeah, they're they're the Parent family and we've actually had one of their daughters on our show. Oh wow, okay, yeah, interesting, right, we kind of know some of the people that made the Conjuring movie, so we have that little connection there, Chad and Carry Hayes. They are these twin brothers who made they wrote the film. There in my dad's book, there's some stories there that we've kind of had some weird experiences with them. Oh wow, Yeah, always one weird little degree of separation here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, whether it's your family members or having that connection to the film community or whatnot, that's got to be a unique sensation. That's kind of hard to put in words right right, it's like my worlds are colliding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: A little weird.
Speaker 1: It is very strange how it seems like. I don't know, maybe it's because we've been doing this for a while now. It just feels like, oh, you know, you're always one degree of separation from anyone, like Art Bell, like you, I grew up listening to Art Bell. So I don't know if you've had time to look into any of our story or anything like that. I know you're a very busy guy. But this started happening almost twenty years ago, like what we've been dealing with, and when it started going on, I grew up listening to Art Bell, you know, like you, I'm like, wow, this.
Speaker 3: Is that radio host a radio show?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, iconic.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's like like Coast to Coast AM.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so Art Bell was the host of Yes, I've heard of Coast to Coast AM. I mean that's like prolific. I've heard of that. Okay, So that's the host.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, nice.
Speaker 3: So then after the river incident, you and your dad started listening to.
Speaker 1: It, Yes, started listening to Art Bell. And as a kid, you know, just like was really fascinated by Art Bell. And then somehow or another, I found myself, you know, being friends with George Nori, which you know who that is.
Speaker 2: Right, he's the current host.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's it's weird, Like I guess if I had to phrase it in a different way, it's strange. How like you as a child, you know, you're into you say it was Mel Blank. Yeah forgive me, that's yeah, yeah, yeah, I knew the name, but that I didn't know the characters. But like you know, you're looking at Mel Blank. You're so fascinated by this. You want to be a voice actor, and it's this thought that's in your head and the next thing, you know, it's right in front of you and you're like, oh wow, this is real. You know, I have brought this into my sphere. It's very strange. So if you don't mind me asking, how old were you or at what point was it that you, like started what point in your life was it that you started voice acting?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean professionally, I would say it was during my radio career because at Radio Disney it was pretty much based on a lot of theater of the mind, like radio drama.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: I was writing radio dramas obviously aimed at kids and whatnot. I was a contributing producer. I helped create character voices for them. I didn't have an acting background like I didn't. I wasn't a theater kid or any of that. Because I'm actually really shy and introverted. Working in radio and doing the voice thing, I gained confidence. So suddenly I was able to you know, I had no problem doing public address stuff at panels or having you know, a tour group come through. Here's a bunch of boy Scouts or girl Scouts and we're gonna watch you dub this scene or whatever. It's like. Normally that would be like, oh, okay, this is awkward. But I saw it as a fun opportunity because people could have a chance to see what the process is and how much fun an actor can really have doing the process. You know, with anime, in particular, your animation is on the screen, your scripts in front of you. Nowadays it's on its own screen, the script, and you're watching and previewing each line in Japanese and doing all that. That part I didn't know about for decades. I wasn't sure how anime was dubbed into English. I knew about the cartoon process, which is where you have the whole cast together. That's what I was looking forward to. I wanted to have. I wanted to be able to sit in the same room as the other actors. Everyone has their own mic, a music stand with the script and they do it radio play style, just seen by some and you can you can play off each other's performance, and you can watch them all screw up so not be so self conscious when you screw up and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Did you get a Have you gotten a chance to work like that?
Speaker 4: I have a few times, I guess. The biggest high profile thing was back on Disney x D Avengers, Earth's mightiest heroes. I got to be Super Scroll.
Speaker 2: Whoa, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: He didn't really talk. He's just more like Space Hulk basically. And then some bit Park characters on the episode too. But I got to be in the same room as the cast. Not all of them were there, some had already recorded. It's like, there's the voice actor for Iron Man, and there's the voice sector for Captain America, and here's eg Daily. Eg Daily I knew from Powerpuff Girls. And she was also Dotty on Pee Wee Herman's first movie, Pee Wee's Big Adventure. She goes Way, she goes way back then. So she has been doing on camera and voiceover, and after I did my scene, she just quietly leans over and.
Speaker 2: Goes, god, job.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. That was beaming guys like, oh my gosh, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: We are so excited to tell you about our first brand deal with Stigma Hemp. We are so pumped to be working with them. These people are amazing. We've been working with them for a couple of months now. They have an amazing product. It's a family owned business and we really really believe in the product. Ryan tell them about some of the products a Stigma gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they got these delicious thhcts Celta waters gummy. I would personally say they're the best gummies I've ever tasted. I would do my humble opinion, and that milligram is just that perfect dose to have a good night without all the you know, the the freaky thoughts dummies usually bring. No But seriously, it's a great product. Josh is a great guy, the founder of Stigma Hemp, and I just I really am excited to partner with them, especially knowing that he is personally very interested in UFOs and the UFO space. And yeah, I mean I just couldn't be more excited about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, they have CBD, they have THCHC, they have capsules, they have gummies, they have drinks. They have these awesome CBD and THCHC drinks that are zero sugar, zero calories, zero alcohol. It's just pure either CBD or THCHC, and it's all in like relatively low doses, so it's manageable. It's a really really good product. We've tested it ourselves many times. It's fantastic. They even have like sleepy Time stuff that has melatonin we really truly actually love this product.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: So what we got a little special offer for our listeners.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do about it right, go to Stigma hemp dot com and use code BSS at checkout and you get a nice little thirty percent bump off your price there and uh, you know, get you some tens of gummies and just have a good time with them.
Speaker 3: Stigma Hemp dot com code BSS. Get that. And that was pretty early Was that pretty early on?
Speaker 4: And that was actually after I moved to La so Go. So being in Texas, you know, I'm in my early thirties, late twenties, getting to work with Fundimation, and then I left Dallas, left my radio job in two thousand and five, came out to the West coast, uh, and walked away. That is this scariest moment in my life, walking away from everything you know and love and not knowing really anybody other than a couple of professional contacts in La so of course I'm immediately go broke like most people. And you got there hoping that that phonal ring and it's like that's just not how it works. You know, You're not get discovered as my dad thought. It's like, oh, just walking to the office at William Morris and work in the mailroom, and it's like, that's not how it works. Work your way up, work your way off. It's like, and everybody's story is unique. So people who think if they take all the voice acting classes in the world and they do exactly and they have the perfect demo and the perfect recording set up and all that, that suddenly everything just falls into place, And sadly it doesn't. There's there there. There is a huge percentage of luck versus talent versus networking and all that stuff and stuff that I didn't really know much going into until I was already in the throes of it. It's like, oh my gosh, okay, I got to make ends meet, I got to have some income and actually pay the rent. I went into a massive credit card debt, and I'm like, oh my gosh. It took ten years to become an overnight sensation in La but I within a few months thanks to Steve Bloom, a legendary voice actor who hadn't met at a convention as a fellow guest the year before Nice he introduced me to his agent, Arlene Thornton, and she's now my agent, and we've been on the same talent roster at her agency. He was there long before I was. He's been doing it longer than me. But I got onto Naruto because of him. Keeba.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's go a come on ru peg over Fang.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. By the way, total weird synchronousy. Didn't you just buy that shirt?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know the character on the back of your shirt is Steve Bloom right his voice.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I didn't even think about that. I mean Cowboy Bebo in the back of my shirt.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spike from Cowboy, But that was brand new shirt. He just got it the other day.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: That's cool. Yeah, that is a crazy synchronicity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, something that's been on my mind lately is because I, you know, have been mentally thinking about this coming up, knowing that we were going to be having this talk. Sure, I've been especially curious, and I think you're the most like probably qualified person in the world to ask this, or at least the most qualified person around at the moment in my environment. But is there any like similar level of satisfaction to also voicing those roles that aren't on that icon level, like the thug, you know what I mean? Does it Is there that same level of satisfaction?
Speaker 4: Uh? There is because I'm getting to do the craft. I'm getting to help bring a character to life. And you know the process of improv cold reading, taking direction, working with this uh uh, working with the director to help craft this stuff, and the director giving me bullet points. You know, there's not time or budget, honestly to sit there and preview and watch the episode ahead of time or or any of that. So I'm a clean slate going in, and I like that challenge. I think of voice acting is the purest form of acting because you drip away the physicality, strip away. It doesn't matter what I look like or how old I am, or how big or small or whatever that. It's just like, what can I do with my voice? Can I Can I channel all the physicality into the voice, whether it's running efforts like you know, do the fight sounds and all that stuff and power up yells, kame ha me you know all my oh God, go through all that and then hopefully your voice is still intact at the end. Sometimes it's not true, it does happen, but we have nice life hacks like Chinese cough syrup. Hell, oh, local chords amazing. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I remember as a kid, especially around when Super Saying three came out. Don't you remember it was such a big deal Goku passed out. Did you guys really be like passing out while you're doing your kames and stuff?
Speaker 4: Some of them did. I got dizzy. I got very lightheaded. I had to sit down for a while.
Speaker 3: I don't see how you wouldn't get lightheaded doing all that screaming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seriously, I remember one scream being so long that it was basically two takes a full breath and then the rest for a second, and then do the second one, and they would cross fade it into the yo tools and then just put reverb on it. It just sounds like inhumanly long. But in the shot in the series, it doesn't stay on that. It cuts to other characters talking while that scream is still continuing in the background.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the exact sequence that that was?
Speaker 4: Like? What? No? No, I actually don't. It's a blur. Maybe maybe I killed enough brain cells in a moment you've liked.
Speaker 1: Out oxygen starved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I wasn't sure if this was the majin Boo saga or not, but.
Speaker 3: A lot of screaming in that song. Oh yeah, a lot of screaming in.
Speaker 1: That That is where so I was never and I'm not just saying this because you played adult Gohan and not child Gohan, but I'm seriously, I was never a huge fan of child Gohan. He's cool, but I was always like Goku, that's my my favorite. But then, and granted, I was three years old when when I first started watching Dragon Ball, so like my whole life, I'm talking a child that probably thinks about this stuff way too much at that age, but go, I was attached to Goku and child Gohan. I don't know, it's the ball cut. I was like, he's kind of a nerd totally. But then when the Majin Boos saga came around, for some reason, it just like switched and I had I have this attachment to like the adult form of Gohan. I think it's a combination of the voice, you know, your voice, just the fact that he like grows up, he's more powerful, he gets the mystic form. But he's so cool. Can we can we talk about this right now? Adult Gohan is he's cool as.
Speaker 3: Hell, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'm going in direct opposition of any haters in the world and say, great, say a man. Oh also fires one of the coolest.
Speaker 2: He's so cool and he's so funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my favorite version of gohan is honestly because he sounds like a game show host. I am look right, this almost sounds like like you've just won a new car. You know.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to ask directly, but I had a feeling with you being such a fan of like radio and mel Blank and like I was like, I feel like, like Great Saleman really scratches that it for him.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, especially on all the video games where there's all this new dialogue and storylines and everything and what if scenarios that don't take place in the anime. So yeah, I love any chance to play that big fake superhero because you know, in the movie Superhero, you thought Great Salaman would have been in it, but he was.
Speaker 1: That's that thought never came to my mind until now, and I'm like, I'm mad, I'm crossing my arms. Yeah. I never even considered that thought.
Speaker 3: Of him being that.
Speaker 2: We need justice for Great Saleman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Like, seriously.
Speaker 3: Can I can the next movie just be Great Salaman?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I would, I would love that. I'm a I truly love Great Salmon. He's awesome. I mean, come on, how does it feel seeing yourself in video games? Is that any different? Or like hearing your voice rather?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, I thought it was amazing. Back when you know, Dragon ball Z. The episodes would air on Cartoon Network first, and then they came on VHS and then DVD and all that. Three episodes heavily edited, but it was the only way to get them legit.
Speaker 2: Legally I had, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had quite the collection. Luckily I got free copies back then.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: So watching on on on Cartoon Network, especially that first time when an episode with like, of course they misspelled my last name a bear is h E B E r T. It's Louisiana French, right, but most people don't know that, so they think Kyle Herbert a g R B E r D. So naturally that's I saw how I saw my name in the credits.
Speaker 3: But that's network they did that, They vested up on Cartoon Network.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was done. The credits are all done in house. At now crunchy role and all that so, and it's far too expensive to go back and change it and remaster it and all that stuff. And I didn't understand all that back then. But honestly, the coolest part was, Yeah, hearing my voice coming out of an animated character, and then seeing my name on the credits, and then me being able to record that and show friends or even my family who didn't see it, and it's like, oh, yeah, that's awesome. And then having a playable character in a game that's even cooler. So, yeah, if I could play as Gohan in Sparking zero or or Reu and street Fighter six love.
Speaker 1: All that, Yeah, that's awesome. Me and Nick would put well, like back when we were in high school. We go way back, like almost twenty years. Actually this year would be twenty years. We've been friends WHOA and back in the earlier days of our friendship, when it was less online gaming as it is today, it was it was a lot more couch co op. We would play Street Fighter four a lot, right, yeah, and we were always were You and Ken.
Speaker 2: Always.
Speaker 1: Nick would play re You and I would play Ken. I can't play for you if he's playing for you, so I play can right, But you know what's crazy, Kyle, I just realized this today. Not only are you REU, but we've also had one of the voice actors for Ken on our show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rubin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a friend.
Speaker 4: Love Rubin. That's awesome. He's he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a sweetheart. And I just I realize that today. I'm like, whoa, this is weird, you know, little synchronicity happening.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Do you That brings up a good point.
Speaker 3: Do you like do you and your your fellow voice actors like not being able to work together all the time on.
Speaker 2: Sets and stuff?
Speaker 3: What do you what do you do to like to keep up with each other. I see a lot of voice actors playing D and D. You're doing any T and D campaigns?
Speaker 4: No tabletop things, not really my my bag. But we do have a chance to catch up at conventions, like kind of in the green room. You know, we can't do it while we're at the booth because we're interacting with fans and everything, but you know, during breaks and whatnot, I could go back there and like, oh, there's Chris Sabbat, I am talk to him in Forever. It's like, okay, or Sean Schimmel or or or maybe some cartoon people. Oh, Tara Strong, Oh there's a you know, Billy West, you know, or Rob Halson, Maurice LaMarsh or some Star Trek people or some Star Wars people. It's like, what, this is the coolest. And I don't have to pay because I'm a fellow guest dude, and try not to fanboy out. Like I could go every few months and see Jim Carlo Esposito backstage and he is so kind. You're just like, hey, how's going good? All right, that's amazing having a good show. Yeah, it's like, oh my god, that's dude from Breaking Bad and and The Mandalorian.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: You you really feel like you take stock, Like I feel like hearing you talk about it, you are really taking stock in like you you're kind. Do you feel like you're living your dream?
Speaker 4: I do? I do. And that's why kind of going back to that question about like do you connect more with a named character as opposed to Walla or bit parts or unnamed character. I'm man A or cop C or Monster CD or I just love that I get to do it, but if it connects with an audience that is even cooler. That is cool, because yeah, I have been blessed to have funkco pops made of several characters Gohan, Kiba, Eisen escanor from Seven Deadly Sins, and people will bring those and the variants and all that, and I am so grateful because honestly, I've been able to make more of a successful, lucrative living on the convention scene than even doing voiceover, which is ironic because I'm only there on the convention scene because of the voiceover.
Speaker 1: You know, there is something deeper, though than just like the success of it, which I know you're not saying that, but just beyond all that, man, Yeah, yeah, You're raising generations of children with your voice, listening to you and hearing you, in sitting with you for hours and hours, and a lot of your characters, like Gohan, what a role model.
Speaker 2: I grew up.
Speaker 1: Wanting to be like him, you know what I mean. I mean, Shoot, I remember I was like in the third grade when when Dragon ball Z got to the Boo Saga and I was eight years old and I saw the first toy of the Boo Saga and like Mad and Boo and kid tronks, whoa who is that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: I had just watched you know, Freezer and Sell you know what I mean with the time skip yeah, And it's like, those are some of the most iconic earliest memories of my entire life, like trying to do a kamehameha wishing I could go super say, you know all the nineties kids before and the kids now. My little nephew, Teddy, he's five years old. I sit with him and I make him watch Dragon ball Z and now he's watching One Piece, and it's like, do you ever think about that, like the legacy that you're leaving for the children.
Speaker 4: I didn't think about it at the time, But as the years go on and the conventions I attend, I'm hearing more and more stories, especially as the fans age and start having families of their own. They'll say, Hey, you were my childhood. I hear that so often, and I know they don't mean it as you're old. They just literally mean it as legit. It's like, you're the voice of my childhood. Man, you were my babysitter, whether it's the narrator next time I'm dragging ball Z or Old Bolly's getting married, oh yeah, oh yeah. And then Gohan of course during you miss mentioned the Majin Boo saga, so the iconic when people say, what's your favorite line? Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
Speaker 1: When he showed up and he clapped mag and boo until of course he swallows him because the curator Yama had to make Goku the making, which I'm not mad about. You know, I love Goku, but Gohan's coming back. Let's just say that he's been.
Speaker 4: Nerved for so long, but the beast form is like, that's top tier. I don't think there Goku is gonna suddenly surpass his son or I think reading the manga, I think that Wee even said that Gohan is the strongest, saying right now. So it's like I will take that.
Speaker 3: But he really always has been.
Speaker 1: He always has Yeah. I just a year or two ago and then I started watching One Piece and I stopped. I ran through the Freezer saga from very beginning of DBZ all the way to the Freezer Soaka again because I was like, why not I miss it? Yeah, And there are so many moments with it being set up for Gohan to become the main character. And we all know this a Curatriyama back with the cell thing. Goku died. Gohan was supposed to be the main character. He was propped up to be. From what I always heard growing up, all the kids in Japan locked themselves in the room and were crying and throwing a fit that that Gohan died. And he's like, oh crap, and he had to bring Goku back? Is something more or less like that is what I always heard growing up, right, But so I think for years, rest in peace to the legend. Yeah, a Karritoryama had to nerve Gohan to appease people. He's coming, He is coming back.
Speaker 4: And I kind of saw a superhero as a real treat, just especially for the fans who felt like, hey, you know, Gohan didn't have his day. Let's give him and Piccolo, let's give them an upgrade. Let's give them a much deserved upgrade. And it's like, yeah, you could look at it cynically and say, okay, it took Piccolo and pans to gas like Gohan to get to do this, but boy did it work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, however he had to get there, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: He got there. And I kind of love. Actually, that's my favorite part.
Speaker 3: Of that movie is the thing that made Gohan finally snap is seeing his step dad. Yeah, seeing Piccolo getting like about to die, like about to die. That's what like finally made him snap and got him there.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: One of one of the things I always connected super deeply with with DBZ was the relationship between Piccolo and Gohan.
Speaker 1: It's is real dead it is.
Speaker 4: I was about to say that, Yes, people say who's his dad? Go Cou or Piccolo. It's like, honestly, come on, Piccolo, have you watched Dim Kyle? I have only seen the first three episodes because they showed them dubbed in the theater and I went and saw that and I was just too distracted and busy by life to finish the show. And I hear the general consensus is positive. It was good. You know, it was anime of the year. Was it?
Speaker 1: It's amazing. It's absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I have been because let's just say, I have been texting Sean as it was coming out the super saying four stuff, and he was so worried about like, well, basically, I hope they love it.
Speaker 2: I hope they love it.
Speaker 1: And it was just like Boom anime of the year, amazing success, Like, dude, you got this, it's amazing. But what was I going to say?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: In Diamond And one of the early episodes they make for the first time ever in DBZ as far as I can remember, they make a real reference to Goku being a bad father to go on. Oh wow, it's a joke. Goku makes a comment like, uh, you know, I didn't really raise him that much. He didn't find that funny.
Speaker 4: In that first episode, didn't Bowlmas say someone asked, hey, where's Gohan? Oh? He must be off studying. It's like, at least they acknowledged him, unlike the Broley movie, where it's like they didn't even say Gohan's name. In the Broley movie, It's like, what.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't either.
Speaker 2: They don't even reference him at all.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: DBZ is prolific. I always think about it as being like the Japanese version of like the Titanic level that Disney is in America. It's just untouchable, you know. It's it's got so many moving parts, it's insane. Don't want to get you in any trouble. So if this is the kind of thing that you can't talk about, we can just just say it, you know. But I'm curious, Well, yeah, we don't want to get into any sort of trouble, but I just want to talk about like the future of uh, you know, Dragon Ball. Yeah, in a legally safe way, of course.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, ever since a Kuratoryama passed away, I have read that there are some legal entanglements about the rights of ownership between Shueisha and Toye and Will's. We'll see where that ends up. Hopefully everyone can can work it out, because I know all the fans want to see Super come back, and you know, there's a lot of the manga that has yet to be animated. I can only speculate, like if I were them and they get the go ahead to make Super again, like Super Part two or whatever, I would wait until the manga's done. And that way you avoid that problem of having to come up with filler that no one asked for. You can tell a story in its purest form, which Naruto and Bleach is littered with hundreds of filler episodes, which is a huge turnoff, a huge turnoff for many fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way Eisen and Bleach, right, Yes, indeed, I'm not a big Bleach watcher. My brother Jeremy shout out. I love Jeremy, I have. I've seen a few episodes, like maybe thirty. My brother's obsessed with Bleach. It was his first major anime. I'm almost caught up on one piece and then I'm I'm gonna start going into some other showing it and Bleach is definitely on my list. I want to I want to give that one another fair chance. I remember why I brought up the future of Dragon Ball thing though, because I saw a post last week or the week before, Toyo Tarro put out a message with a new cover of you saw It, and they're hinting there's about to be a major press release at Super So I'm like, it's been like what eight years?
Speaker 4: My god, I hope. So that cover is on the latest manga and someone brought me a copy of the Japanese version. It hadn't been translated yet into the English one, but they had me sign that. It's like, oh, this is so cool. I wonder when the English one's coming out, But yeah, that cover is killer.
Speaker 2: Because Gohan Beast.
Speaker 3: Gohan is on the cover, right, Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: Goku vegeta Broley Piccolo and Gohan, right.
Speaker 1: And all their like peak form forms. Yeah, and that was the first thing. He went on a hiatus when a curatory Alma passed away. It's been like a year and a half of nothing, really, I mean, movie is Superhero maybe maybe that came out for a couple of years, Dima, but otherwise it's been like radio silence. Yeah, so there's about to be a huge announcement here soon. Oh, this will come out right after that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's got to a few years ago. Toya said they have a ten year plan, whether it's shows, movies, games, you know. So I think it's just a matter of time. You know, we just got to wait it out because God knows, so many years went by before we got new movies, which led those successes led to Super Yeah, and then more movies, and then of course the games continue to get better and better every year.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I remember when they ann the first one to come I think was Battle of the Gods those movies. Was that that was the first one of the newer movies. Yeah, right, I think, oh yeah, I remember when they announced that. I was like, what, there's a new Dragon ball Z movie? Like, yeah, is it? Am I dreaming? Like what's happening right now? And then it just like spiraled and just momentum, momentum, the demand from the fan.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's Dragon balls Z.
Speaker 1: It's mythic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's got to confuse Hollywood studios because these were theatrically released and they were always number one box office. Oh yeah, and they are scratching their heads like what's this anime thing? You know?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, I have never in my life been in a more active theater ever than watching both Brolly, Super Broly and Superhero.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When when beast Gohan happened, everyone in the theater was on their feet like screaming and like like every everyone clapping, and it was like being in a a like a boxing match.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's an iconic moment for me that one of my high points in my career is sitting it watching it in imax. First of all, sold out screening people are like going, is that all you got?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Then guess it's my turn and people are going oh, and then he changes and then they're like like oh, my god, I got to I got to voice that.
Speaker 1: So when you do the super say in transformations, uh huh, do they really pitch your voice down?
Speaker 4: No? No, I mean as far as I know, at least not for me. I've always been full on.
Speaker 1: I had always Goku goes through like the deeper levels of Maybe that was just a myth I heard a long time ago, but I'm curious about that. It's so fascinating hearing from you, like what the process is Like, I always wonder, like when you're reading the lines, are you seeing the animation? So that's gonna be so fun right to just Yeah, I'm sure it can be stressful sometime because it's work. Everything can be worked, but it's got to be like, that's an experience I long for.
Speaker 4: Yeah. My favorite way of dubbing is something that a lot of the companies that do live action dubs. When we're taking European or Asian shows for Netflix, creating an English dub for that. The script will come across the screen on the bottom like karaoke, and I hit this line along this side, and when it hits the line, that's when you stay say the word. So it's like a game. It gamifies dubbing and like that's a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very cool. What's your favorite role that you have done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say probably Gohan because it's the one I've done the longest. It's where my career began. Even though one project doesn't necessarily lead into another. With momentum, it's like, oh, you were Gohan, I'm going to cast you. It's not like that, but you know, the success came over time. We went from Dragon ball Z to Blue Gender a little more obscure title, and then you you Haka Show and Full Metal Alchemist and then like I leave Texas and suddenly I'm on Naruto and then a few months later Bleach and then Ger and log on those who just so many things and then I'm recording games left and right. Like you said, the IMDV credit list is kind of long. Yes, so many projects I've forgotten I've recorded on. I have to trust people on social media when they tag me, it's like you were great and so and so it's like I'm in that.
Speaker 1: Mela told me a funny story. Actually she said it on our show or maybe off show, it doesn't matter. It was like you guys were at a convention together and y'all had recorded in a show that she didn't remember that she recorded. Yeah, and someone came up to the table and they were like, oh my god, I loved you in this show. And you whispered to her and you're like this X Men or something like that.
Speaker 2: You're like, we're in that together. That's why they're asking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, X Men Arcade. They for whatever reason, when they brought the X Men Arcade the nineties arcade game two consoles, they decided to redub the voices so that I did all the male voices. Mela did all the female voices. Very cool, Wow, all of them, all of them. So yeah, you can hear me sound like great, sayaman with Professor X, like go and save the city.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's like we talked earlier about like if it's a dream, like you're living your dream, you feel like you're yeah, with with your belief in like the supernatural and maybe like some of the spiritual stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you do you feel like do you believe in like destiny?
Speaker 4: I think so. I think there is a lot to that saying that what you put out into the universe comes back to you. I think things are cliche for a reason, you know, whether they're exaggerated or not. I think there's at least a crumble of truth, a little kernel of truth in these things that over the passage of time you pass it on and then you know, nowadays everything is a meme, so like that's how you communicate to the masses. Make it a meme, inspirational quote or whatnot. But I mean the important is people are seeing it, and you know there you take the information and do with it what you will. But you know, I'm not I'm not I'm not really into any sort of religion or anything. I am totally open to whatever is out there in the universe. If there's some sort of grand design to it, all, absolutely open to that. And you know the thing about aliens or otherworldly extraterrestrial type things, I'm totally open to interdimensional beings or whatnot. And if it's all tied together to a creator or whatnot, whatever it is. Hey, you know, it's like some things aren't just concrete with here's the proof and here's what you need. Some things are kind of up for debate, and then other things it's like, well, how can we really get that definitive thing and I think we're always questing to find the answers definitive that you're never going to get a naysayer or anyone trolling you about It's like, ah, that's a bunch of crap. It's like, is it though?
Speaker 1: I come on, Yes, that's very well put, and you're in the right company with I mean saying like there has to be some sort of design to things, but also like not particularly I would say that's bordering the line of like a mystical approach, you know, aware that there's something there, but being open and and adopting what works. And I love that. That's that's very insightful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like, if is multiverse a thing, it sure is an awesome concept for entertainment purposes, But man, can you imagine if someone if someone dies in this universe, in this reality, and they just continue living in another world and another that's another plane, and you know, basis of religion, you know, you think about the afterlife and all that, and I'm like, well, if there is no afterlife, you're not going to know it because you're going to be dead.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm curious, since we've started pulling this thread, do you ever just for like curiosity's sake or just for you know, your own, whatever your purpose is, I guess it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Do you ever experiment with any sort of like meditation or any of those kinds of practices to explore these kinds of things or is it more or less like a belief that's just kind of there and it subtly drives you, but you don't think about it too much.
Speaker 4: I've tried meditating. The closest I've come to being totally satisfied with the experience is using like an oculus, a metaquest with different meditation type apps that has the soothing voice and you're looking around and you're seeing the stars or the desert, and you can pick the landscape that it's on, and the breathing exercises with geometric shapes expanding and compressing that I'm find that easier visually to kind of get into because my brain is all over the time. I'm probably like super adhd and like I can't relax enough to sit here, and because didn't think of nothing, it's like nothing all there's a million browsers always open, so.
Speaker 1: It's like Johan had to sit in one spot for twenty four hours to pull that z sword out of the rock. Come on, man, I know lock in as the kids say, yeah, as as us thirty year old nerds say, long in. You had to pull that sword out to get that mystic form. You had to sit now, actually I think it was twenty five hours.
Speaker 4: The hell of a reference.
Speaker 1: That was a hell of a reference.
Speaker 4: There'll be some un commenting to this and going, actually, yeah, epitude.
Speaker 1: You know what though, with what you just said, that was amazing. I'm glad that we got into this. We could talk more about this later if you'd like, but you probably would really enjoy what them Monrostitute has to offer. They have an amazing meditation appen Hmmm. I don't know if you've heard of them or anything. We can totally dig more to that later. They're left this institute where they basically use sound technology to get you into very deep meditative states, very power, powerful stuff. Yeah, you might enjoy that.
Speaker 4: I see ads on TikTok for things about certain frequencies that kind of you know, your brain can can be open to that. And of course, you know, seeing stuff about paranormal or whatnot. It's like, oh, the history of sound sonic sort of waves and how they affect people in a way you can't really necessarily consciously.
Speaker 1: Do you know about cymatics much? Oh dude, this is so fascinating you mind if I geek out about this little bit, right? So, simatics is the concept that let's say you have a table, right, and you put sand on the table, or you have like a bowl and you put water in the bowl, and you have some sort of speaker or instrument that puts out sound waves, you know, and you blast those sound waves into the sand or the water. Same effect, it'll make shapes. It'll make geometric shapes, a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Symmetrical geometric shapes.
Speaker 1: So the idea is that there is an intelligence obviously an everything. If we're talking about consciousness, Yeah, but there's there's an intelligence and everything, even the sound. A lot of old myth belief systems claim that the world was created by sound. The Hindus say Ohm Brahma spoke the world into existence through ohm, right, or even in the Bible it says first there was the word. There's this concept of many of these different traditions, but we can prove with science that when you play these sounds, there are certain geometrical shapes that appear in the sand in the water. So it stands to reason that when we're hearing certain frequencies, even though we might not be able to see it because there's not sand or water present, there's certain shapes that it's blasting into our mind that's affecting our psyche, that's affecting our brain waves and our neurons and our synapses, which you know, in practice can get us into altered states. And I can tell you it works.
Speaker 2: It's really yeah.
Speaker 4: I have heard of something with more succinct physical side effects, like people in England, for example, trying to disperse a crowd and using sonic things that only certain frequencies that only maybe younger people can can hear. You know, as the older you get, you you lose the high end right now, and they're blasting something that that they're like, oh my god, it's like and everyone else is like what what what's going on? And just like it's like disperse the crowd, like you don't need dear gas, just just sonic.
Speaker 1: That's true. No, they use that kind of stuff in warfare.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I just saw like today or yesterday that this this like this student in London has invented this sound cannon and they can put out.
Speaker 2: Like grease fires and electrical fires.
Speaker 3: And like with sound, Like it's like a sound gun.
Speaker 2: They just like walk up.
Speaker 3: It's this big like barrel and it has a trigger and they just walk up and it goes like and then instantly the fire is out. It's really strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a potential new world coming where we will utilize sound more for these kinds of things, for states of consciousness, for medical purposes. I know that there's some research being done on the soul veggio frequencies and how they can like lower heart rate, states of anxiety, reduced cortisol, have physiological responses, stuff like that. But seriously, I think you'll enjoy looking into them in ro Institute. The whole purpose behind them is like they're the premiere institute for the study of consciousness. But they you know, binoral beats.
Speaker 4: I've heard of that. Yes.
Speaker 1: Binoral beats are the concept of playing a tone in one ear and a tone in another ear, and they're slightly different frequencies, but the difference between them tricks the brain into thinking it's one tone because the human ear can't hear beneath twenty hurts. So, but if you want to get the brain to delta or theta, which is like anywhere from like eight hurts below, which is like sleep but really deeply meditative states of consciousness, you make viral beats. So you could have a tone of like one hundred herts and one hundred four herts, and the wabble between these waves will synchronize in the corpus calism of the brain, these two hemispheres of the ligne. And next thing you know, it thinks you're listening to four herts, which is a meditative state, and the Monroe's two is all about that. It's all about the idea of using these sounds to meditate very deep stuff.
Speaker 4: It also sounds like they're on the cusp of solving tonightis I have to sleep with a white noise app because yeah, is deafening.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my gosh, I hate this sound.
Speaker 4: Like okay, well now I can't hear it.
Speaker 3: That must have come around with all of the screaming while powering up to super Saiyan, Right.
Speaker 4: Dude, this goes back to going to concerts in nineteen years without ear plugs, cranking up the music as a DJ, especially when I was on a hard rock metal station before.
Speaker 3: What what bands are we listening to? Come on, we're metal heads?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was hoping we would go here, Come on, what bands there? Golly. In the eighties, I remember someone on the drum line in Marching School goes. He comes up with kill them All. He says, you got to hear this record, man, and it's like, yeah, I have been a Metallica fan ever since then. I was all into Iron Maiden, Judas Priest. In the seventies. As a kid, I was all about kiss Oh, I love the Queen, and I loved Aerosmith and Rush, went through all that stuff, and then I just started going towards the harder stuff. And I love Devin Townsend, who's all over the place.
Speaker 2: You know, I love him.
Speaker 1: Why do I know this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Bobby's really into him. He put us onto him.
Speaker 2: He is He's like an alien.
Speaker 4: He is like, Yeah, he's like a musical genius, a prodigy. Yes, he can write a country song one minute and then write the most crazy prog rock and the most screamy metal thing and all within the same album. Yes, he had a band in the nineties called strapping Young Lad. Yes, and that was an angry phase for him, but it's like that's what people tend to gravitate towards. But his solo stuff is all over the all over the map, and it's it's fascinating, it's really cool. It's not always metal.
Speaker 3: But and then oh my gosh, he'll stand up there and be playing the guitar and these really fast chugging patterns while singing operatically.
Speaker 2: And he is like not human, like yeah, so awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think Devin is one of those rare prodigies, just like Trent what Trenton Reznor is to electronica and Jack White is to blues rock, blues, punky sort of stuff. I love all that. But I thanks to TikTok, I've recently gotten into Lorna Shore on a deathcore. The new single just dropped yesterday and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, wait, wait wait wait, there's a new one, a new new one.
Speaker 4: New new one.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oblivion is no it is, Oh no, I haven't heard it.
Speaker 4: There's another one.
Speaker 2: It is crushingly brutal.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm learning this from my friend, my fellow metal confidence. Isn't it wild.
Speaker 4: Unbreakable, Unbreakable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I hadn't heard that yet. You know, it's funny. I was just listening to I had to take my car to the dealership yesterday and I was listening to Oblivion on the way to the dealership. And I have to admit I didn't listen to Lorna Shore for like three years because one of my close buddies who you know now he used to be with them, and I was like, oh man, you know, I felt bad, kind of like oh, but now I'm like, you know, it's it's it's music. Like I listened to it again.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Back to listening to it again.
Speaker 2: It's so good. Kyle.
Speaker 3: You ever you ever think about making some crazy sounds.
Speaker 2: Like that with your vocal cords?
Speaker 1: What a question?
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 4: I'm of the mind that all these metal singers they know the tricks to not hurt their voice and can sound like Satan and do it for hours on him. They need to be doing what Mike Patten was doing in the nineties or The Darkness, the video game for Xbox. He was like, all these different demon voices, crazy sounding stuff. So, yeah, metal vocalists need to get into the doing monster voices. There are people like Frank Welker and a friend of mine, Kellen Goff, who does monster creature sounds. D Bradley Baker, another longtime veteran of cartoon voices but also creature sounds. You know, you go on his website. He's got voice demos for crickets, pigs, birds all over the place.
Speaker 1: I'd love to have a credit for a cricket.
Speaker 4: There's someone that did a cricket on Mulan, that cricket that made Oh yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was probably the most famous cricket ever. Yeah, why doesn't the vocalist what's it, Will Ramos? Why doesn't he?
Speaker 2: He needs to be doing some like Alien Predator type voice acting stuff.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Well, dude, this kind of music is getting more popular in games now, like video games.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think there's a shift culturally happening, and coincidentally, you happen to be aligned with both of these things. I think anime is becoming like some of the peak media in culture. I mean, especially when Gear five came out with Loofy. I think that was a major shift in the anime world to where now it's just like ubiquitous it's everywhere. I remember it was kind of like I was embarrassed to talk about anime in high school. Don't you remember that you didn't really bring it up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd still. I mean it was the same thing with superheroes, right, like as kids, you're super into comic books and superheroes. Now all of a sudden, everyone is going to see the Marvel movies. Everyone is going to see the Marvel movies. And I'm like, it's that that bullied me in middle school are now going.
Speaker 2: To like, oh my god, you see the new Marvel movie.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what spider Man?
Speaker 1: You see the new Marvel? And then the next the other shift is metal. I think that probably started with well, a number of things, but really.
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 1: Is it Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon? Who is it that had knocked.
Speaker 2: Loose on Jimmy kim Yeah?
Speaker 1: And plus Goodyear was at the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and now love right?
Speaker 1: And then what are they called sleep Token?
Speaker 4: They're huge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like boxes huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sleep Token was like what top ten on the charts or something. I feel like metal is like kind of anime to me. Metal is like anime of the music world. I feel like they're a similar you know what I mean, just like parallel. They're sort of niche, but also.
Speaker 4: Like not really anymore, don't It's cool to see these mashup of genres, Like the creativity is just off the charts. If you if you go to see Metallica on their stadium tour, it's mostly fifty year olds, like I'm fifty six. It's mostly dads and their kids and whatnot. But me, I mean, I'm gonna be at the Laura Shore show. I'll be at the Chelsea Grin show next time they come around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to he he will, You will have a great time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a buddy named Ricky who is one of the guitarists of Ice nine Kills, and he's playing with Metallica tomorrow night. Whoa, Yeah I have not met Metallica.
Speaker 2: Yeah yet, yeah yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so sick, Yes, dude, I could talk medal with you all day?
Speaker 4: Do we?
Speaker 1: How are we doing on time? You got to be out of here in an hour, so maybe we could wind down with a few more things. So what's I know?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 1: Lorna Shore is your your favorite, and what a worthy favorite. But you got any other that are kind of like proximity favorites, you know, know.
Speaker 4: Like well, like I said, Chelsea Grin is right up there, I'm all over the spectrum. Let me, i have to look at my Apple Music.
Speaker 2: I gotta do the same thing.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you might be into some kind of proggy stuff too, though, I mean with the Devin Towns Townsend, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: A lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about like periphery, periphery.
Speaker 4: I don't have to listen to a little more intently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're They're They're awesome. I love periphery. I like proggy stuff too. But I mean, honestly, if they're screaming in it and it's metal, I'm probably into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'm not just there. I'm also a huge Queens of the Stone Age fan.
Speaker 2: I think they're just a great rock band.
Speaker 4: You know, they put on an incredible show. But yeah, Shadows of Intent, Rivers of.
Speaker 1: Neil love Shadow of Intent. They have some new songs coming out lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rivers of Neil's new album is is.
Speaker 1: I don't know them.
Speaker 3: Rivers of It's like Nile like and I Nile is like Death court type stuff. Oh yeah, Oh dude, I'm gonna look them up right now.
Speaker 4: There's occasionally a saxophone in there. Dude.
Speaker 1: Why have I never heard of this?
Speaker 3: They're really good.
Speaker 1: Oh god, they have new music too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I h I l rivers of on their cover. Yep, yeah, yeah, thank you for that. Absolutely, they keep that tonight.
Speaker 2: They make great stuff. They're they're awesome. One of my coworkers put me onto them.
Speaker 1: Heck, yeah, dude, that's exciting, So keep going, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 4: If you like weird psychedelic metal, like black metal Aronzi Pazuzu.
Speaker 2: I'm putting it in my phone right now.
Speaker 1: That sounds uh dal A, Oh that's a good one. That's that's yeah, Larcenia Row I think I don't know. Yeah, they're kind of like blowing up right now, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of our you know, Slaughter Prevail. Oh yeah, Orbit Culture. That's a huge one for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Culture, I'm putting it on my phone.
Speaker 1: You have made it to the final level of metal. You're at the you're at the peak, like you have that same itch in your brain where it's like I just needed to be really heavy. Yeah, and that's it.
Speaker 4: You know, and with good production, not not muddy production. The metal of the seventies and eighties was just just unlistenable. But now with the production and the sonic layering you can do and everything is so much more palpable and it feels good to just crank it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that is so true.
Speaker 1: I never thought about that, but that maybe that's why I like Death Course so much, because it does tend to have very high production as opposed to yeah.
Speaker 2: Excellent production value.
Speaker 3: And also they do these effects that it's like similar to like movie effects, like the sound effects that it's all these like big slams and these big epic sound effects, and like it feels like listening to the score of a movie or something like the epic level is on twelve. You know. That's my favorite part about Death Core, of one of my favorite things about it. I don't know if this was like before your time or after your time or whatever. I guess after your time would make more sense. But did you ever hear like Memphis Mayfire?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe this was before you were into the like death Court type stuff and it's not death Cord, but woe is me? You ever heard of them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, we have a buddy Cameron who's been on the show and he's like a producer used to be well I guess he still works with him Rise Records and he made a lot of their like iconic hits from back in the day. So that was kind of cool getting to do an episode with him. But it's not quite heavy like the Death Course stuff. It's got a lot of sing songy kind of stuff, but it.
Speaker 2: Sounds like heavy stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sugar, Sugar, Now you're talking about language, Kyle, That's like the top three for me.
Speaker 2: I love my Sugar so much.
Speaker 1: Ya is having a resurgence.
Speaker 2: They've never gone anywhere, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like in the last year especially, I have seen so many countless videos about what does it bleed from the sugar?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the top song?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: They are fantastic because they blend this like ultimate heaviness with like the complexity of like prog type rhythmic rhythmic type stuff like weird time signatures and wild like.
Speaker 4: I call it math metal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: You're doing math while you're listening to It's.
Speaker 4: Like where's the beat? Oh, this is on the upbeat? This is on the downbeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you play drums.
Speaker 4: I do, Actually I haven't. Yeah, I haven't actually played them on a regular basis since I was in my teen's early twenties, but living in an apartment for much of my adult life, you can't really do that without getting kicked out. So I now have an electronic kit, so I just put the headphones on and crank at that. By the way, I'm so envious of people who can do the double kick thing. It always seemed like, how do people do that without their feet tiring out?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 1: Wish we I would love to show you.
Speaker 4: I wish. Yeah, it's all in the placement of your heels and your toes. It's not the whole foot that's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's right. It's the placement of your heels and your toes. Yeah, a little bit of calves too, But yeah, that's crazy. I didn't know you played drums. And did you have a chance to check out our band that I sent you the other day? I know you've been traveling, but I have.
Speaker 4: Been traveling, so I need to I think you'll like it to do that again. What was the name of the band? Twice born twice born.
Speaker 1: I'll re send it to you and then we'll do an update. Kyle didn't like.
Speaker 4: It, Yes, answering twice born right now.
Speaker 1: I have to send it to you because it has a weird symbol. We didn't have the foresight to think it would be hard to search. Oh, I'll text it to you. Yeah, it's not. It's not all death. We didn't want it to be so heavy that like general audiences couldn't like it. But we have a couple of songs that are like really heavy because I wanted to scratch that itch. Nick wanted to scratch that itch. So we dabble sometimes and then some other songs are not as heavy, but it's like a blend. I love you'll see. I think you'll like it.
Speaker 4: Is Rights of Wrongs your album.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'll send it Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Wow. I have loved talking Dragon Maaz with you and anime and the paranormal, the supernatural and metal. What a nice little end cap. There Something I like to ask guests?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: If you could imagine that everybody in the world was listening right now now, I'm not forgetting the fact that you are starring in multiple franchises worth billions of dollars and actually probably have been heard by billions of people in your lifetime. But let's just put that to the side for a moment and say, for this right now, if you could imagine that everybody in the world was going to hear what you were about to say, what's the one message that you feel like you would want to leave with people before you go.
Speaker 4: What just popped into my head was it's easy to be kind. It's easier to be kind than getting all stressed out and angry. And everyone is so angry in the world, and it's like, think how good you feel just saying, hey, how's it going having a good day? Rock and roll? And if someone's having a bad day, that's their baggage. But everyone has baggage, so we need to be respectful of all that. But I think the power of a smile, the power of kindness. If it if it's not kind or honest or whatnot, it's not worth saying. And you know, maybe people through the process of meditation or having an open mind can help help your consciousness achieve a better state of purity and balance and and things like that. That's what's kind of coming to my mind. As I think stream of consciousness.
Speaker 3: Right now, Well said that is beautiful, you know, Roll Well said rock and Roll.
Speaker 1: I closed my eyes for the bulk of that, and a smile came to my face as I just imagined super saying go on in a do rag and the great sale a man fit telling that message to me to the world, die in peace.
Speaker 4: Remember, remember Ryan, be kind. It's easy to do.
Speaker 1: I do have a favor to ask you. I have been planning to jump you with this for like a month, knowing that we scheduled this. Okay, could you give me like a next time on? Bledsoe said so in the Dragon ball Z narrator voice.
Speaker 4: Next time on? Bledsoe said so, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, did you know he was a narrator?
Speaker 2: Yes, But that's that's the craziest thing ever, wasn't it. Bless you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being gracious in giving with your talent.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Thank you, Ed, Thank you for being.
Speaker 1: Open with your time and working with us on that. We truly appreciate this. I think this is as of now, like this is definitely the most grateful I've been to do an episode on our show. This is in the realm of like, you know, achieving our dream. Just you coming on here and doing this with us is unbelievable. When we first started the show, I was getting a little emotional. I'm like, suck it in, suck you're working here.
Speaker 4: You're working here.
Speaker 1: So I had to kind of push through that. But thanks for working with a couple of dorks like us on scheduling this and getting it going. You've been very gracious with all this. So just you're amazing man.
Speaker 4: My pleasure, no, no, thank you man. I'm lucky that I get to make a living doing something I love, and I couldn't do it without the support of awesome fans around the world like yourselves and people of like minds and like musical taste and everything.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, thank you a lot in common. This is this is cool, So thank you for the opportunity to speak with you and cover these topics that I don't normally get to necessarily on other podcasts. So this is great.
Speaker 1: You have an open door on our show if you ever want to just riff it, if you had a good time and you just want to tear it up and talk this stuff at any time, or you know, anything like that, or just friends you want to talk about these things with we are in your corner. Fantastic, thank you for doing this with us. And yeah, we do have a silly little way that we end our show and we just say bye guys at the same time. Are you ready to do it?
Speaker 2: Got it all right?
Speaker 1: Three two one, Bye guy, guys.
Speaker 2: What out bomies.
Speaker 1: If you like the show and want more, check out Patreon dot com slash bledso said so.
Speaker 3: This will get you exclusive weekly bonus shows and access to our discord community with hundreds of open minded people just like you.
Speaker 1: If you want to represent the show, go to bledsosaids dot com for merch. We have t shirts, hats, hoodies, and more.
Speaker 3: For all future updates, follow us on Instagram at bletso setso same time next week.