Speaker 1: All right, it's almost here. We're almost a game day.
Speaker 2: We visited with Colonie Satake on Monday, and today it's our pleasure to bring in the head coach at the University of Utah. You know him, you love them, coach with coach. How are you So we're almost the game time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's getting close. And you know, finally, you know, three plus years later, it's here.
Speaker 2: So away we go, certainly, and this is a week that I always really enjoy, but it's a week that some people do not enjoy it.
Speaker 1: It brings a lot of anxiety, It brings a lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: You've been a part of this thing for a long time, back in the day on the other side, and now for basically two plus decades you've been coaching up here. What sort of energy it kind of permeates through you?
Speaker 1: Starting on?
Speaker 2: You know, really and you guys had a bye week, But when it's actually rivalry week, when you know it's b YU week Monday morning, what sort of energy does that bring in your life?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it certainly gets your attention. And you know, the rivalry has been on and off for the last several years, and so now that we're in the same difference. It's going to be a regular thing as long as we're in the same conference. Who knows when that will change again. But it brings a lot of energy into the building our players, even though we only have nine guys that have participated in this game off one hundred and twenty five man roster, which was shocking to me when we talked about that in a team meeting last week. But we're in, you know, in doctrinating. I guess the word our guys, the guys that haven't been through it as to the intensity of it and what to expect. And of course we got a lot of in state guys on the roster that have not played in it, but are very aware of the rivalry just because of being in the state of Utah. But we're juiced up, and that's what rivalry games are all about, getting excited and playing with a lot of passion and emotion. And you can feel it in our building for certain.
Speaker 2: So I'm a numbers guy and I like to dig into the metrics. Nine of one to twenty five, I didn't know that that is.
Speaker 1: That's a very low number.
Speaker 2: I want to follow up because we've had a bunch of guests on this week that played it University of Utah and played at BYU, some out of state, some in state.
Speaker 1: And if you grew up here, and if you were part of the rivalry, I mean, my parents want to bringing me on. I went to Utah.
Speaker 2: I've been covering the game now for basically twenty years from the side, so I know what it means.
Speaker 1: You know what it means.
Speaker 2: How do you get that message across coach to these players that aren't as familiar as to just how important Saturday Night is.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, we had a little history lesson of sorts where I went through the history of the rivalry and the origin and how it's gone back and forth through the years and some of the more colorful quotes that have come out of the rivalry over the last fifteen twenty years. And it's you know, our guys as they've gone through the week and last week as well and become more familiar with it and read about it, they started to get it, like I said, and it is. You know one thing about this week for certain is it's not hard to get your team ready to play. I mean that takes care of itself. You know, some week are more difficult than others as far as what buttons you need to push and that type of thing. But you can count on this week and this game being no need for that. It happens on its own accord.
Speaker 2: So ultimately, as you know as well, if not better than anybody, Saturday Night is a chance for your guys to show the community for one game, and that's all that matters. You have to take this stuff that way, as you know, for one game, in one moment, if you can be great, you're remembered in this community when it comes to this game. And you know, ultimately, Coach, as you know, all of us expected you guys to be in a different place. You expected you guys to be in a different place. It's been a tough year. This stuff is hard. Winning is hard. Consistency is hard. As Jerry West said back in the day, that's the difference between mediocrity and greatness is consistent performance.
Speaker 1: But what have you shared with your players about what.
Speaker 2: Saturday Night could mean as far as the legacy they leave behind, Because we talk about players that have incredible performances in this game for decades and decade and decades to come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, exactly that that this game is one that they'll remember the rest of their lives, in particular the seniors. I mean, I can remember my senior year in the Rivalry game like it was just yesterday. And and so that's the first thing is is, uh, it will it will stick with you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Secondly, you know a lot of years the current record and you know, the state of the program or whatever is tossed out the window in the Rivalry game. Anything can happen in this game. And you're right, there's been guys go down and in history in this rivalry by by their performances and plays they made, and and it you know, is remembered for for ages and ages. And so our guys are, like I said, they're excited and they know it's a chance to put a turnaround on this skid we're on right now. You know, we've had a tough four game stretch that that we've been able to uh, you know, continue to battle and fight. We're not you know, we're losing by slim margins and just finding ways to not get quite enough plays made to get to win. But this is a chance for us to really hopefully get things turned around in a positive direction for us.
Speaker 2: So the most reductive thing. And it's really even accurate that I could say about why I perceived that you guys are on the spot that you're at is Cameron is not under center and he's been hurt. You can be that reductive coach, like you haven't had your quarterback period out of story. So but between that reductive statement and where you're at it four and four, how do you analyze why the season is not gone the way we all thought it was going to.
Speaker 3: Well, we haven't been productive enough on offense, and that's where you can really pinpoint things. I mean, our defense is leading the league in total defense and first or second scoring defense and doing some really good things and doing some very consistent things on that side of the ball. But the quarterback position and its importance cannot be overstated. It just can't be. It's the most important position in any team sport, hands down, and has so much to do with with your success or lack thereof. And Cam Rising is an elite quarterback and and have not having him in the lineup is something that obviously we hope wouldn't happen. I mean, we dealt with it last year and we were hoping that they wouldn't repeat itself. But and the plan was for Isaac to be Cam's understudy and get reps here and there during the course of the season and you know, get gain as much experience as he could getting ready for spring ball next year to be the guy. But here it is. He's played four hundred snaps for US and we're only two thirds of the way through the season. And his you know, he's a true freshman. You know, true freshmen typically have there's an adjustment period to the speed and the complexity of the college game. And and uh, it's just been a you know, a tough go trying to get things generated on an offense, and particularly the throw game. That's where we really not have been. We have not been able to be efficient or productive in that regard and that has really hampered the offense.
Speaker 2: You referenced in your media availability earlier this week that you guys feel good about the plan under center. I will not ask you who the starter is because I know what that would do. I do not want to get on your bad side, So I'm not going to ask you who the starter is, but I will ask you update our listeners as the home of the Utes on how that plan is playing out throughout this week.
Speaker 3: Well, we think it's played out well, and we think that it gives us our best chance to win in this particular game. Not necessarily indicative of the future and what will you know, potentially take place there. But but you know, I want to make that perfectly clear. But as coaches, what you do from week to week is put a plan together and get the players on the field that you feel give you the best chance to win in that particular game. And and so that's what we've done. And and uh, you know, we'll find out very soon if you know, if it was if we were correct in our in our planning.
Speaker 2: So as a reference, we had Klani on on Monday, and you know, we try to do our best to cover both schools. Obviously, as the home of the youths, we want to make sure we service our good partners. And what I continue to say, Kyle is whether it's Kilani who obviously coached under you for years, Aaron Rodgerck, the same thing.
Speaker 1: Jay Hill, Utah Grad.
Speaker 2: It feels like they have utilized what they learned from you and took it down there and they're actually using your script to play very good complimentary football at eight.
Speaker 1: No, what stands out most of you about these BYU Cougars.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, they're doing a great job with their coaching and you know, whether it's new, whoever it's due to, I don't know. They're just really good coaches and we have a lot more than that on the staff. There. It was four or five other guys out there that in various positions, but they are playing exceptional complimentary football, which is how we've made a living for years. You know, they're not really other than the turnover margin, that's really where they're really excelling, and particularly taking them all away. On defense, I'm pretty sure they're leading the conference and takeaways. But other than that, offensively and defensively, they're just they're both in the top third in the conference in most categories. But there's not one real area you could point to other than the turnover march and they say, hey, these guys are just dominating in this particular area. They're just doing very well in all areas and like I said, playing off each other offensively and defensively as well as you can possibly do it.
Speaker 2: Right now, they've outscored their opponents. Kyle sixty nine to ten off turnovers this year. It leads the country. It's an insane stat, but it also is It also indicates there has to be some sort of regression of the mean, and I feel like, because of the nature of this game coming up, you can never predict how this is going to go.
Speaker 1: The line's pretty close.
Speaker 2: So before I set you loose, I've heard you say in the past your favorite Utah BYU game three zero, and I was there. It feels like that is a coach with Utah BYU game. What's giving you the most confidence about coming out on the right side coming up Saturday night.
Speaker 3: I would say the attitude and the mindset of our players and the preparations that's always so critical. I mean, you can't just show up on game day and magically flip a switch and play hard and play effective. You gotta have prepared the right way, and that is something that our guys have done all season long. And that's what's been so frustrating is there's been no drop off in our practice, prep, in our intensity and our passion. We just can't get over that hub. And so we're just hoping that this is the week that all that hard work and focus pays off and our players get rewarded because of it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for your time, sir.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy, and I know how hard this season has been on everybody, so I'm pulling for you. Best of luck coming up Saturday night, and thanks again, coach.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, Spence, appreciate you having me on. Thank you,