Speaker 1: Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between, this is for you. All right, welcome back to the podcast. For those of you who are just joining in, we have a beautiful guest on our show today for the first time. This is Martina. Hi. Everybody. All right, So before we dive in, please tell our listeners and myself a little bit about you. Well.
Speaker 2: I'm an Aquarius and I like long walks on the beach just cave, but I do love water. I own Charisma Hair Studio here in Barry. I've been a hairstylist for just over twenty years now. I have two boys and a husband and a beautiful excel American bully named Lola. And I also educate for our product line and our care company.
Speaker 1: That's a lot on your plate. Yeah, I love that you brought up your dog o. Oh yeah yeah Lola, Yes, yes, yes, I love her. I love seeing her stuff on your Instagram like catch potato o a walk. I love that. Yeah, that's where life.
Speaker 2: We sleep in Potato, where we go for a.
Speaker 1: While, there's not really an in between.
Speaker 2: I might get a minute of zoomis and then it's just like, mom, that was hard.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. So when you first started, So you recently celebrated your ten year anniversary for the salon, Yeah, yeah, that's incredible. Yeah, what made you get into hair? So just to recap, because I don't even think I told you this is the first time we're recording. Actually recorded a podcast episode earlier with doctor Liz, she's a natural pathic doctor here in Bear and we did the same thing because I'm like, you're cool. I like you, I want to know about you. Let's have a conversation and let's record it at the same time, so like, we don't have any notes in front of us. But so a few months agoing to a survey, and I talked to some of the members in that survey what would you like to hear more of? And something that they spoke about was having confidence and self esteem and how to like present well and stuff like that. And at the same time, I was watching your social media, your personal social media and your business for Chrisma, and I was like, Hey, you got it. Like, there's so much to say. I'm going I'm gonna pass the mic over to you in a second. But there's so much to say for someone who a empowers women and people in general, who also runs a business and has staff as well, Like that is such a huge thing. And at the end of the day, there's a lot of parallels as well with what we're doing is we're empowering people. We want people to feel good. So in saying that, that's something that the members here have really asked me about because they're like, oh, I want to know about like gaining confidence and stuff like that. So like we can, we can do fitness and it helps gain your confidence. But there's another piece of the puzzle, and that to me is how people present themselves and stuff like that. So what made you start in that industry? Because that is such a big industry like that not like I don't mean a big industry as in like a lot of competition. I think with anything, there's competition anywhere, But I'm a community over competition and all yours well, But what made you in that that's such a big crown to have on your head, I guess is what I'm trying to say, so, why did you pick an industry like that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I knew about the competitive side of the industry. I just knew how it felt when I finally found a hairstylist that made me feel good about my hair, like I hated my hair my entire life. I had naturally curly hair for my dad, but my mom is German, so as the Germans say, we have sour kraut hair, which is really fine, stringy hair. So I was taught to just brush my hair, and it always made it big and frizzy because it would brush my curls out. But my curl patterns actually fairly decent, so because the curl pattern is really strong once you brush it straight, because it's fine, it will stay straight, but it expands throughout the day. So my hair would just always look big and frizzy, and I didn't understand why because I had soft blonde hair naturally, and I couldn't figure it out.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: I think I was in grade eleven at the salon I worked at for ten years before I opened my own salon, Jody, my old boss, cut my hair, and she was like, you have naturally curly hair.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, I.
Speaker 2: Don't, and she's like, yeah, no, no, like you do. And I'm like, no, I really don't. So when you're hot, yeah, because I was brushing you straight. Nobody ever taught me how to care for my hair. So that's something that we really do in our salon is like we teach our clients their hair is not the problem. We use the right products for our hair, and we care for our hair properly, even with colors. If a color is going to be bad for your hair, we're going to teach you about the colors that would be right for your hair that won't do as much damage. A lot of people think you need to bleach everything, lighten or lighten or lighter. You know, you can use high lift blondes if you need to. Like, there's so many ways to get to one different look, and we find the right one that's for our clients specifically.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, I did not know any of this. Yeah, someone who has actually curly hair. This is the first thing. So I don't know why, but I'm a firm believer, like for at least the last decade, and like I don't leave the house with wet hair because it makes me look like I'm disorganized. Yeah, so I put that like in my brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah that No, you didn't put that in your brain. Do you know how many women think that because they're taught like a smooth, blown out look is normal, is put together, but naturally curly hair is borgeous and it should be allowed to be free and wild, just like it is.
Speaker 1: I love youself, be free. I was like, because if the one time I do this and the last how many years, I'm meeting you today, But in my brain, I'm like, I know that you're not not judgmental. No, no, And I know people that have visited you and visited your business as well, and that's something that they have said before, and they're like, oh when I walk in there, I can be myself. Yeah, Martina listens like it's like I'm doing this with my hands like a match made for here an Yeah, a match made in heaven. I stopped because I instantly thought of this. There's like a Brian Adams song that came in my brain. It's like something about in heaven or something. I don't know. Anyway, So you started at a song before, yeah, working and then you worked there for ten years? Yeah? Wow, it was.
Speaker 2: It was when I had my first son, and like going on Matt leave and then having to leave him to go back to work. I always said I wanted to be a salon owner, and I don't really know why.
Speaker 1: I just did. And maybe it was.
Speaker 2: The passion for wanting people to understand they're not the problem. They're very well marketed too, and that's why they think they're the problem. So yeah, once I left work and went on Matt leave and was with him all the time, and then going back part time and leaving him, and I'm like, if I'm going to leave him, it needs to be for something substantial.
Speaker 1: And I loved that business. Like family.
Speaker 2: It was Italian owned. I'm still really best friends with Robin. It's now it was Susette's and Innisville. It's now called Rovenko. She just did a big, beautiful rebrand and remodel on the salan and is taking it over and like growing it into the next era of hairstylists. Yeah, so that's three generations of family. The aunt owned it originally, then Jody and now Jodie's daughter.
Speaker 1: So that's special.
Speaker 2: I know it's a special business and I got to be a part of that, but I wanted to build something like that for my family.
Speaker 1: I think, just something for my own. So and fast forward now ten years, ten years, and you moved in the last two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it'll be it was a year ago January. We moved Christmas of I don't even remember what was a year ago twenty twenty five, So we moved Christmas of twenty twenty four. We closed shutdown shop and moved everything over.
Speaker 1: That makes sense because I moved. So for those who don't know, Christmas next door and you Unit one in two at fifteen Cedar Point Drive, it's actually where the transformation station was before. And I think that's why I naturally gravitated to you, because I was like, oh my gosh, and I knew your business before, just actually through Ashley. He's a mutual friend of hers, and I was like, oh okay, because she always spoke very highly of you and her hair, which you were doing and still do. Yeah. So I was like, oh my gosh, because I actually called the landlord because I'm nosy as shit sometimes and I do my best. I don't love to tell secrets, right, so I try to know what I know is what I know, and I try to keep appropriate things to myself. Yeah, but I was like, what are they doing in there? Like this is interesting? So I called. I was like, what's going in next door? And they're like, oh, it's a hair place. So I'm like who. I was like, no way, this is awesome. And then there was one day I was driving back. We were doing an event here, so I got the key here December twenty six, on Boxing Day, Yeah, and that's when we started moving everything over. Yeah. And then I remember I was driving by one day and the doors were open, so I actually left my car running the keys in it and you weren't there, and you probably walked into my phone number written in like three feet numbers on like a box or something. Yeah. You talked to my husband and I walked here. I was like, oh, hi, I'm Christina. I need to introduce himself. I'm like what are you doing? And he's like, do want to see you? I was like, yeah I do. I was like okay, I'm like if you need help or if you have questions or give my number to Martina whatever. He's like, okay, cool. And I think I wrote it on a box maybe or kind of somewhere. Yeah, but it was really exciting. But like you moved so about two ish years ago, Yeah, and what was that? Did you your vision change or yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I opened my business with no staff and a dream three years before covid hit. Okay, so we were only three years old when covid hit. I had my two stylists that started with me as apprentices, were fully licensed and like doing clients for a year straight. So they were just starting to build momentum. We were just starting to make money back and then covid hit and people started doing hair in their homes and the industry kind of, in my opinion, collapsed and fell apart. An industry that was supposed to bring people together just became even more separated. There's a huge disconnect now between people that want to be independent and people that want to be part of a team. And instead of looking at like personalities, where treating everyone like they're bad if they want to be independent, or they're bad if they want to work as a team. And again me wanting everyone to realize they're not the problem. I'm like, well I need to fix this again, so why not put myself in more debt once my business is paid for? So we were getting old, and like after three years old and then going into COVID, I just kept having to pivot every year and change the way I was doing things.
Speaker 1: And I think people.
Speaker 2: Got confused with me and my vision as to why I had to keep changing things, But it was because costs kept going up substantially and I didn't have a business degree when I started. I was learning as I was going, so I just had to keep changing things. And I'm like, I really feel like if I switched it to a space where I could have suites so people who want to go independent can and even clients, not everybody can handle the background noise of a salon, having a space for people to be able to be independent and alone, and then having a space for people that enjoy being a part of the mix. And that's where I came up with charisma here and associate suites.
Speaker 1: That's insane. Yeah, it's beautiful. What you've done in there is night and day. Thank you. It is so like I don't really know you that well as we're having this conversation, but I've been rooting for you. Like to see I hate crying, like I like from my own experiences, it's for lack of a better words, fucking hard to own a business. It's really hard to own a business. There's not I'm gonna mark this with explicit there's not a lot of people who understand when we make decisions where it's coming from until they see the fruit of thy labor, like yeah afterwards. Right, And it's so hard when you are the I call it like like it's almost like a pyramid without being like an MLM by any means, but like it's like the bottle, Like we are the bottleneck of our own business. Yeah, so we see everything that goes through it. We're the filter for our team. Yeah, we're also need to make sure that we are taking care of our own health and our own families and our own dogs and stuff like that. Right, but like we are the strainer for all stuff. Like at the end of the day, it's up to the business owner that everyone is getting paid, the clients are going to be happy. Yeah, we're still like you do a lot of extra learning and teaching as well. It's making sure that your skills are still sharp, not from ten years ago, but you're always continuously learning and of course saying like fitness or some things that have entered the chat ten years ago that are still incredibly valid to this day. And there's also new things that we're learning. So like it's pivoting. It's making sure your team is taking care of, making sure that they're happy, making sure that your clientele is happy. Yeah, making sure your Google friggin reviews don't go haywire. Oh it's I cannot like, there's so much that a business owner takes on, but to see how much as an outsider looking in, to see how much that you have done, and I already knew that you were a good person. I'm like, I don't even need to verify that because if you have a team and you empower women, I already know that that's good because that's heaviest shit. Thanks, you're well phone. It's a lot, It's a lot. It's a lot. Yeah, What is one thing that you do for yourself as someone who like you know how it feels to have your hair done and like you look so grey right now, you have your makeup done, Like you're wearing like matching clothes. I'm wearing my same typical black Lulu Lemon outfit. But like that makes me feel good. But what makes you feel good as someone who empowers other people. I get my nails done, that's my one thing.
Speaker 2: It's because I oh, yeah, I usually have to put my phone down and put it aside. I can't touch it when I'm getting my nails done, So I fully can disconnect from the business swell and getting my nails done.
Speaker 1: That is smart. So usually if I book something a book, a petit here, so I could still have my phone in my hand Yep, you just cracked a cheat code.
Speaker 2: I need to fully disconnect from your business for an hour or two once every few weeks, like you just have to or you won't survive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even on the holiday.
Speaker 2: Weekends, everybody else is out having fun disconnected. We're returning emails, We're returning messages, We're returning everything. Now with most hairstylists, they do have their own personal page where they will return some messages. But I'm returning everyone in the salons, yes, not just my own. Then on top of it, my own personal yeah. Yeah, the same thing.
Speaker 1: Actually, every holiday I run a special class or a pop up here as well. So yesterday, so I did work over the long weekend. Every day. I also with a lot of like behind the scenes, like payroll, stuff and website days and all like newsletters and yeah, programming and talking to people and like all the administration. Literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, Okay, September, we have like six or seven specialty pop ups going down and we're planning like workshops and things like that. But I still have to have the time to do those things. Yeah. So, Like yesterday, one of our coaches, my name is Annie, she's fabulous. I asked herhim, like, Hey, Tuesday, do you mind just covering my morning classes? I have so many things to do on Tuesday that I just I need just a break. And I said to some of the members today, I'm like, you know what, having someone else coach for one morning or two mornings out of the week is so good for everybody. It's good for you to get used to other coaching styles. It's good for me as much as I love seeing them all the time. And I'm like, you know what, I could see you guys every single day, but by nine I am I've spoken to at least fifty people. Yeah, so it's nice to have one morning where I can actually put all my focus to run running the business smoothly because people still need to get paid emails still need to get connected to. Yes, and there might be someone in front of me that day and they're like, did you get my email? I'm like, when did you send it last night? Okay, I'm still here, like I have. I woke up at four o'clock in the morning and I work straight away. Yeah, So I'm like, I will get back to your email. I promise you in the next twenty four hours. Do not worry. And they're like, oh, okay, thank you, no worse, just making sure you got it. So like, there's so many things like I feel bad stepping away because I do enjoy it so much that I feel guilty if I don't take time or if I do take time away from the business. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: I think I used to feel like that, and then having children and having to put those types of boundaries in where like, if you don't take those few minutes for yourself, you're not going to be as good a mom to them, because you're gonna be overstimulated, touched out, tapped out, done, and then you're not the nicest mom you.
Speaker 1: Can be either.
Speaker 2: So I think I learning that having that part of being a mom made me realize, Okay, if I want to be the best business owner I can be, then I'm going to need to do that for myself with the business as well. Now that's not saying I always do it, but like when I'm really starting to feel the burnout, then I remember and realize also health issues. I now have an autoimmune disease. I actually cannot stress my body out because if I stress my body out, I'll send it into a flare up. And mine is a physical one that will take me from behind the chair. And I never want to leave behind the chair. I always want to be part time anything behind the chair, doing clients, having.
Speaker 1: That connection with human is important to me.
Speaker 2: So I just have to know because I've worked myself into an auto seat space rights from business stress. Business stress is a lot of my stress. And then balancing business in life, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been in business over twenty years now. I started my first business when I was seventeen. Yeah, well that's something I'm recently seeing because like I'm so used to being a one man show. When I started my first business, I was a one man show. When I started with fitness, my first location was at Tiffin and in a Spield Street and I was like it was like twenty twelve or twenty thirteen when I first opened my first commercial location. So this is my fourth move technically, and each time I've grown since then. But it was until the Transformation station was maybe two years old that that's when I wasn't coaching like a lot of the classes. We didn't have as many classes then as we do now. And then when we moved, I actually ended up clearing out house and there was just a lot of caddy things going on behind the scenes, and I'm like, I've had enough of this. And when I don't feel comfortable stepping into my own gym, there's a huge problem. And that was me not implementing boundaries and not being confident in who I was with over twenty years of business amen under my belt, yeah, and like like no, no, you don't run over me and tell me what to do in the business because I'm looking at data. I'm looking at what's good for everybody. I always say data is like that's that's everyone's vote is the data? Is the data? Oh yeah, So when I rebranded and I made the switch, and when I made the switch, it was Okay, I'm not going to franchise I'm not going to have children. I'm going to take on this extra load because actually my lease was almost done because that was just at the end of my five year lease. Yeah, And I was like, Okay, do I close up shop? Do I need this? Do I not need this? Do I want to do this? Yeah? So I spoke with my partner and I'm like, you know what, I want this and she was like, well, either way, I'm going to support you. So if you want to stay home, you stay home. If you don't want to stay home, you don't have to stay home. I'm like whatever. I'm like, you know what, let's just go because I'm going to be bored as hell sitting at home doing nothing. Like let's expand, let's go to the business. Resign a lease jumped right in and then I was like I'm the only person. And then I was coaching all the classes morning, we did some afternoon for hot second all in the evening. I was teaching zoom by how many times a week physically on my body ended up tearing my achilles tend in about four years ago, and then I ended up having to teach with a pneumonia. I ended up with an ammonia twice in one month. And I had members that were here for a long time that are certified personal trainers, that our group fitness instructors, and they're like, you need help, yeah, And I'm like, but after I've been here, but oh heck, yes, Like I don't ever really get sick, which I'm thankful, knock on wood. But I was getting chronically sick because I had so much on my plate. Yeah, and then they pretty much i'm gonna say, they bullied me kindly into having other coaches, so they stepped up. I was like, thank you so much, and now here like I'm I hear sometimes when they're like, oh, Christina, like we don't see you as often, and I'm like, I have so many If you still see me three four times a week in the morning, you still see me three four times a week in the afternoon, and you see me on the weekends. I can't be present for every single person all the time because that's not sustainable. So if I want to be here in business, and I'm sure you can relate to this as well, because what you just said, Yeah, if we want to be present for our business and our clientele that we know and love, and they know and love us is we have to not be everything to everybody all the time. That way we can sustain this for the next five years, ten years, twenty years, thirty, forty fifty years, Like you know what I mean, Like there's so many businesses that fold, Yeah, because they can't take it the pressure anymore, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The whole point is we are the face of our business, and I think people get attached to that. However, when we build a team, we are strategically looking for like minded individuals that will care for our clients and customers the same way that we would care for them. So knowing that they're going to be in the same cared for hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, we trust them and they're good exactly. And sometimes it's just a matter of personality.
Speaker 2: You might not gel with this instructor, but you're going to love this instructor just because energy levels and things like that, they need to match as well, right totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Like at for six am energy, Like we have other coaches that match the same sixam energy, but for a hot second, I was the only person that could bring the six sam energy because that's just my personality all the time. Yeah, and then there's sometimes I'm on wow, like as soon as I wake up, yep, how does that song go? As soon as I wake up? Make hands break? But like that's just how I am as a person that isn't always reciprocated. Let's say someone's coming in for a six forty five PM stretch and flow. Yeah, they're gonna be like what is this and they're not gonna love it. Whereas if I have someone who has more of that energy to lead a stretching flow in the middle of the night, that to me, in the middle of the night, Beau, I wake up so early at six forty five at night, that's gonna be a much better fit. So they might not see me, but they're gonna be seeing someone. I always say, like, in the last month, I've used this analogy so much as we're like a pizza place, doesn't matter what time day you come to. All of our crew. I don't love saying staff. I just don't love saying staff. Yeah, but like our whole team or whole crew or squad, whatever you want to call it, we're all making the same pizza recipe. Yeah, we're all under the same umbrella. We have the same recipe. That's a great analogy. We're under the umbrella of kindness. We're all going to be kind and if, by chance, this is hard. Sometimes, if by chance one of the teammates are not making the same recipe as us, that's when the visions don't line up. And that's when we have to put our personal feelings aside and put the business hat on and take care of business. And there's some times when we make decisions that it's going to be judged. So that's that's kind of the phase the season that I've been in recently. What about you? What kind of season? How like business goes up and down of all different feelings and seasons and learning.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've definitely been judged. I have been put under a microscope. And I don't like people thinking I'm mean or like not a nice person. It makes me feel really bad about myself if someone talks bad about me like it puts me right down in a hole. So I had to get used to being or understanding the fact that if I want to take control and I want to give the girls a great work environment and I want our guests to have a great experience, that I'm going to have.
Speaker 1: To be the mean guy.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, as much as I'm not a mean guy, I just have to put the boundaries in place, and I have to be able to withstand and hold those boundaries. Yes, because if you don't, then it affects everybody. I used to think that if they spoke about me, but everybody else was okay, it was fine. That's also not true because if they're speaking about you, they're speaking about others, and then it's just making everyone question and it's just a recipe for disaster. The pizza is gonna come out mushy snap, that'd be good. Yeah, especially when that's your team. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had someone here that was literally like and this is very transparent because if you go on Google you can see the reviews like from the old staff member and their whole entire family and their cousins or whoever. Yeah, it was really that's just great, right, Yeah, Like I've worked my whole ass, like we're work my whole ass off for this, but like it was hard because like it I like I remember just I had to go to like a vision board making event like the next day, and it was like like it was like ding ding ding and I was driving and it comes up on like my Apple play to be like Google review Google Google. I'm like, what is happening in this place? And I pull over. I was literally vibrating because I'm like, I put my whole life into making sure to die. Irrespond, Yeah, like I've never shook like that. Yeah, being so stressed. I was crying. I like I was puke, Like it was so horrible, and I like, I pride myself where I'm like, no, no, no, I'm not like there's no way that anything's going to take me down. But because that was a business decision, not a personal decision, and I actually had liked that person on a personal level, it started to diminish and I didn't realize that this person was drilling holes in our own boat. So like like I was hearing things and people were sending me emails and like what is happening? So I put like a generic we have like a staff app, a group chat, put like a generic thing. I'm like, what is happening? Like I'm hearing these things. This is not true. I'm not too sure where it's coming from. But if members have an issue, please direct them to my email. Also, all of our all of our coaches, all of our staff, everyone that's here under our business. I'm just certified. Everyone is like they have more than what they need to work here. Yeah. So when when something starts to put down you want to you want to call me a bitch. Hey, I've been divorced twice. I hear I hear my own rumors, and I'm like, okay, some of those are true. Some of them very very nar are learning literally, so it's like, okay, take what you heard and add to it. I'm at the stage round and give a shit. But then when someone trashes my business, when I'm like, you had an issue with the operations, it wasn't the vision was no longer like vision exactly. Yeah, like it when like, there's certain things I don't stand for in here. One of them is racism. Yeah. One of them is like competition, Like, if you want to be competitive against yourself, that's all great. If you want to see like, hey, how how long can I hold a plank? Like, that's normal competition with yourself. If you are putting people down around you, that is such a hard boundary for me, especially if someone has been trusted in a leadership position. Yeah. So racial slurs, homophobia obviously, like all of those things are no bueno. So yeah, So long story short, like, sometimes we have to do hard things and that's where I think some of that slander comes into play. Like when I walked away from my last marriage, all of a sudden people were and it was only after eight months. All of a sudden people were telling you that I was wrong. But I'm like, am I not in charge of my own happiness? I'm not in charge of my own life. It's like, how is that wrong? It's not wrong if it's right for you exactly. Yeah. So it's interesting, like having all those hats to wear because all of a sudden, when you own a business, it's like your life is a spectacle. Yeah, you're put under a microscope.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, as long as you know that your intentions were always to bring happiness to people and be kind and leave the world a better place than you found it.
Speaker 1: Then that's all that matters. You know who you are and you know what your intentions are. Yeah, what's your favorite thing about owning your business?
Speaker 2: I literally get to go to work, paint and chat with women all day long.
Speaker 1: Like that is the best thing.
Speaker 2: Like some of my my clients have been when I became a mentor and brought in apprentices and learned that I was teaching them and saying, this is an OG, this is an OG. How many clients have mine have been with me for twenty years? I'm like, wow, oh yeah, because a ten years prior to yeah, I was a hairstylist before a business owner and hairstylist, right, So like I have twenty year long lifetime relationships with people. So like that connection and that connection to another human is like everything to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and something too is trusting you as with something so vulnerable as like their hair, Yeah, their whole look. Yeah yeah, that's such a like a like a detrimental piece of that puzzle. When I started with my first location, I was like twenty one or twenty two maybe, Yeah. I have people that are members here that were members with me back then. Yeah. Yeah, So like it's it's interesting to see like when you build those relationships, and that to me is one of the most wholesome things. Yeah. Yeah, when like when someone says like it makes you remember why you started. Yes, I got an email the other actually I just forward it, forwarded it. That's a wholeful forwarded it to the coaches and it was a member who has been a member here for I'm going to say about six months, and she wrote this whole email that made me just cry, and it was saying like how much she has changed because like walking and she was someone who chronically fell. Yeah, and she was she actually had a fall and for the first time, it didn't take her two weeks to recover and she literally just picked herself up and she's like oh, she like, is anything broken? Am I good? I'm good. She's like, oh my gosh, I'm good. And then she kept on going about her day. She went dress shopping, she did whatever she needed to do. She's like, that is the first time and how many years? And she's like, I test that to my strength training. I was like, thank you for sharing that with me. And at the time, I was going through like the cubby drama, so I was like, oh dear. And then as soon as I opened that email, it brought me right back because to me, coaching and being on the floor, that's the fun stuff, Like you're interactive, Like I love obviously talking, so like when I see other people that are around me, I'm like, oh, you got no new shoes. Oh that's awesome. What did you do for the weekend? Who did you see? Oh? I remember this person that's your friend from like when you were like eighteen years old. Oh yeah, So like that part, the coaching and being available for people and building relationships, that to me is like my favorite favorite favorite thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when I got to put like my boss hat on, which I can't stand. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I don't love calling it the boss hat. When I have to make those hard decisions, that's the part where I'm like, oh, don't love that all the time. No, But then I remember like stories like that, It's like, oh, this is why I do this, because this person just changed their entire life because of something small that I build. And not just one person. Now there's one hundreds of people that are walking through the doors every day. Are becoming better versions of themselves, or they're tolerating less, they're becoming empowered and taking control of their own minds. Yes, yeah, So I find just saying that with it. I know that when I've had my hair done, which is not too often, to be fair, we have a member here and she's been doing my hair for a while and she's starting to like step back, and that's not a secret. So I remember the handful of times that I'm leaving and I'm like, oh, I gotta go see everybody. Where's all the errands I've been avoiding for the last month. I'm like, I feel good. But I think like when people feel good, they do good. They do good. When you feel good about yourself, you do good.
Speaker 2: And that's why with me, it's so important for people to realize that it's their hair is never the problem.
Speaker 1: Their hair is never the problem half the time.
Speaker 2: It's the products we're marketed and the way that hair stylists are actually educated as well. Hair silists are educated to brands, they're not educated to hair, which I think is starting to change. I do believe there is a shift. They're starting to teach curly hair and everything we need to learn. Even curly cutting is very well marketed. Curly cutting is very well marketed, like all the different curly methods and things like that. Hair is a fabric. You're either working with coarse hair, medium hair or fine hair. You're working with dense hair, medium density or thin. You're working with a wave, a coil, a tight coil, or straight that's what you're working with. It's a fabric, and understanding the fabric that you're working with is the most important thing. Wow, I can see as soon as you're talking about that. I think a fabric land so I can think of like a seamstress.
Speaker 1: If she has the wrong tools for the wrong texture, that things not going to stand up, or it's gonna break, or it's gonna rip. It's not going to withstand the storm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then that fabric's not going to feel very good when it leaves.
Speaker 2: Now, my clients and my stylust are always like, of so many scissors, I'm like, yeah, I do oh because the metal densities do different things for the hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, even the different type of texturizing shears. They're straight, there's bulky, there's curved. They do different things. If you try to use thinning shears that are straight with millions of teeth on a curly hair that needs to go in opposite directions to be able to do their coils, yeah, you're breaking the curl. They have debulking shears because some people just have too much hair and they do need a little bit of de bulk and you can in certain spots. It's okay. It's the same as people who do it with their shears. Some people prefer to do it with a thinning shear, some people prefer to do it with a cutting shear. They're actually rounded at the base of it so the curl can coil into it and it won't break the curl pattern.
Speaker 1: That's so fascinating. Yeah, like holy yeah.
Speaker 2: There's different levels of deposit with color that you can do in different levels or different products that you can do to get used to get those levels of deposit. That's why I chose to use a color line that has a three in one system, so I'm in control of the level of deposit always so I know what I'm doing to my client's hair.
Speaker 1: That's a far cry from a box guy. It's very far far.
Speaker 2: Box dye is like going to TMU and ordering one size fits all because we.
Speaker 1: Know it doesn't. We know it doesn't. Oh wow. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So box dye also has cheaper ingredients in the colors and metallics, so typically that's why it's harder on your hair than professional color. However, when you're going to a professional colorist who understands how the color works at a different level and is able to make your own formulation rather than a hairstylist who is tall taught how to use a color line, not taught how to color hair fabric.
Speaker 1: You see the difference and you see the value being spent. Yeah, yeah, I agree with that. It's a level of education that is out there for hairstylists. Yeah, that's yeah. Like I'm a firm believer that you see professionals for professional things for a reason. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I for like a dentist, I have a healing center with Loonza because they give us education, and I think education is important and valuable. However, I still push my girls to go out and source outside education because you can learn something from everything. I've done Vidal, SASU and ABCS. I've done Revlong cutting courses. I've done Schwartz cop coloring classes. I've done Olligo coloring classes. I've done so many different types of certifications and even extensions. I've purchased multiple brands of extensions certifications because everybody does it a little differently, and then you learn what you feel works for your clients. Right, So it's important to put money and invest in your education. That yeah, Yeah, so that you know you're not being educated to a brand, You're being educated to the hair.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that so much. Yeah yeah, same as in fitness. Yeah, there's not a one size fits all. Everyone's body is so unique. Yeah. Yeah, that's really interesting. So on that note, you have a lot of knowledge. Yeah, I'm like white, what I was just like blonde eyed, black, dye wrapped, dark brown, purple. That's so, that's so unique. So let's say someone's working out m H five days a week, three three to five days a week. Let's say, yeah, but they only Okay, I'm talking about myself. I honestly assume that was coming. So I work out at least I'm going to say an average of four days a week where I'm getting like exceptionally sweaty. Yep. I try to wash my hair once a week. Yeah, what is your opinion on that? And what can people do?
Speaker 2: You can use a gentler like no poo shampoo where they are non said zing, just a sham where they literally it's almost like where curly girls do co washing. It's more about cleansing the scalp than it is about stripping the oils from your hair.
Speaker 1: No pooh shampoo. Yeah, so like dry shampoo.
Speaker 2: No, so like curly lines. A lot of curly lines have them. Some color lines will have them. For people that work out. It's a cream cleanser okay, yeah, so you can wash more without stripping all the oils. Oh okay, so like we carry one in our curly line. It's the butter shampoo.
Speaker 1: So it's it.
Speaker 2: They say it has a micro ladder. The only person I've really gotten a micro lather on is my two year old. That's how gentle it is. I used it on his hair, and everyone has always told me, your kids have amazing hair. They have full heads of dense, thick, curly hair. Thankful to their dad because that's not for me maybe, but we both have curly hair, so they're always like you have. They have great hair, like it never nodded and never tangled. But I always use good product on them because it was in my shower and I brought home the ones that were right for their hair.
Speaker 1: Ham that's interesting, Well do you carry that next door? Yeah? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. There's a lot of people in here that like they either wash their hair every single day. A lot of people have talked about going through hairy metopause and metopause at their hair set. I am someone that used to get my hair like thinned out. Yeah, it's cut on its own. Now it's sitting on its own formal yes. Yeah, so that's something I've noticed a lot. Like even someone commented on my braid the other They're like, oh, you have a nice full braid. I'm like, that's not the size of what it used to be. So yeah, like my ponytail was thing. Yeah, I was like, oh damn. That's also thanks to I'm Italian, but my dad's side has thick, thick, black, coarse hair. They're well Pruvian, so that's where I get. My mom's hair is actually naturally is strawberry red orange. Yeah yeah, so like that's my My hair comes from my dad's side. So it's interesting to see like how things shift and change. Do you remember blondisma? Yes, I use that in my hair. I just didn't tell you this, but I was a kid. I use that in my hair once because I'm like, oh, I want to be blonde because everyone loves blonde girls. So I bleached my hair.
Speaker 2: That's what I looked like, like orange orange, rainbow, yes, yellow red and orange tones. That's exactly what I look like because it wasn't evenly distributed it either, because your hair was so dense, so you got saturation is part of lyft. So when you get the spots that get really saturated, they probably made it to that yellow orange. And then the spots in the back that were not saturated so well, probably made it to like the red orange.
Speaker 1: Wow. So what stage of the coloring do you think was the burning part of my scalp? All of it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So again levels of lift and deposit. All box colors are made to lift, not just deposit, So the ammonia content and those are pretty high when you're lifting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you sit through your eyes feel like you're bleeding. Yeah side yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When my hair started going from like naturally dirty blonde with all the different tones of blonde in it to like darker, ashy blonde, I started getting so upset because people always my hair was my big thing because I always hated it, but they always complimented the color. So like when I started losing that color, I got upset and I did a box color and my dad would never let me play with my hair. Strict army man, absolutely not I was perfect the way I was. Wasn't allowed to touch anything, even the hair mask arrows that were.
Speaker 1: Big when we were little.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, not even allowed to touch that. No, absolutely not. But I was already so he let my mom do that. I cried, I'm like, this is burning. What is happening to me? And it didn't even go to like a nice color. It barely did anything.
Speaker 1: And that the things we do, it was the worst. So seeing what the trends are like, we had blondisma in like the nineties. Yeah, what what is your Is there something that's I literally don't really know anything about hair. Yeah, so I know that I need to brush my hair. Yeah's pretty much it. I'm learning. Yeah, what would you say? Is something that's trending right now? Everything? Really, I remember at one time bolliage was like really really big.
Speaker 2: Everything is trending right now. People still want bolliage. Lived in is coming back because it's more affordable. It's expensive that once, but you can go further between. What's that fashion colors are coming. It's another type of bolliyage. It's just more natural. Oh yeah, it's just very lived in. Yeah, it's like highlighted and melted away and then toned down so it looks more natural, and as it lashes through, it just looks like natural highlights. As it grows out, solid colors are very in right now. Bright bold colors are coming back. Color blocking is coming back. We are at the age of information and TikTok and Instagram is feeding everyone tons of information and misinformation.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't think we deal with one thing in the salon anymore. Scalp health is huge right now. Scalp health is huge right now, like huge. Having that at home self care day is very important. What is that where we do like hair masks and we make sure our scalp is healthy and clean because we understand that's how follicles grow through, free and clear. And like the younger I saw an articles saying that the restaurants are struggling because the younger generation isn't buying alcohol anymore because they care more about their healthy have hear them being cool, which I think is amazing, Like we're fixing it.
Speaker 1: Like I think that's so awesome. But like self care and.
Speaker 2: Self help is so important now, so that you're seeing that come across in the hair. We don't care to like fry her hair off to get that specific look anymore. Whatever's going to make it help happy and healthy is kind of what's trendy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. Yeah. There's a few people in here that they're they're embracing their grays. Yeah, so they still go to a salon, Yeah, but they have it. So it's like, maybe that sounds kind of like lived in but not lived in. I guess they're grown, they're growing it in, but they're still like getting it cut. And there's one woman in here she's had short hair her whole life and she's like, what am I I believe she's in her fifties and she's like, what am I going to look like if I have long hair? I'm going to try it for the first time in my whole life. I'm like, okay, cool. So she's getting like her hair like reshaped, and it's like looks like it's long, but it looks like it's different. It's like, oh, yeah, I got it cut to be reshaped because it has to reshape a certain way to grow. I was like, oh, what do you know?
Speaker 2: I thought you just grew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but I guess the.
Speaker 2: Presentation there everybody always has a denser area on their heads, so it's usually at the top or in the nape. So it's balancing the denser area to define your area as it grows out, to keep the shape as you growed in.
Speaker 1: So do you do Do you do consultations where someone's like, I don't know what I want to do with my hair and I just want something. Yeah, and people book that. Yeah, people app stations online. Yeah, oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: And also we do a consultation at every appointment. Even with my regulars. I have a lady who comes in every four weeks, has never changed your haircut or color.
Speaker 1: That's cary, isn't it.
Speaker 2: She doesn't color all right, she won't even take a coffee or tea. I still ask her if she wants a coffee or tea, and I still ask her if everything was fine and if we're doing the same thing, because it's important the second you stop asking questions about your client and just expecting that it's going to be the same as the second they go to someone else. Everyone needs to be feeling like they're cared for when they come to a salon, whether it's the exact same or not. Yeah, consultation is key always. Would you ever make suggestion on haircuts as well? Yeah, like according to like face shape or like what they're I had an educator explain it to me this way one time, and it's stuck with me. Our head is the first type of smart technology, really, our body is. So our hair actually grows in a direction that is meant to frame our face and hit the money pieces in the happy spots. So like where your cheekbones are, you want to make them pop. Sometimes you don't want to hit a certain area under the chin, you want to lift the eyes up.
Speaker 1: Things like that. Our hair actually grows into shape, so fighting a part is useless. Go with your part. Let your hair go where it wants to. It knows better than us. Yeah, yeah, that's neat.
Speaker 2: It's meant to grow in with our head shape and accentuate our features, so we have to allow it to do that.
Speaker 1: Neat. Yeah huh, I know, look at my hair the mirror. Later this one time, I got to tell you I was so like, I wanted to change myself so badly. This is coming out of my last marriage I was in, and I tried everything to be desired to look attractive, Like I tried everything, and I cut my I've always always, since I was like five years old, had hair long while even longer than this. Yeah, and it's always been like my signature. Look, I guess if you will. Because the one time I tried to bleach it when I was kind and so I ended up cutting my hair like just above my shoulders yep. And I had probably five different colors put into it. It was like a light brown color and it had like three or four different highlights and low lights and like like soft reds and coppers and brown because I'm like, well, I need to look like a soccer mom. Like I think that's what my spouse at the time likes because I can't figure it out. Yeah, and I know that I get comments about like my skins a little bit too olive and stuff like that. So I'm like, okay, so how how can I look in a way that you're gonna like me? So I started like looking around and being like how what how can I look like everybody else? So the first thing I did was like cut my hair. I think it was like three or four hundred dollars that I paid it was, and it was like six hours, Like yeah, I think that was a pretty good deal for six hours of work. But like I was like, oh, this isn't even even me. Like I looked in the mirror and I'm like, I don't like anything about this. Yeah, Like the haircut didn't match my face, the color, and like, I'm not meant to be this. I'm not meant to look like the what we would stereotype and call like a soccer mom, which is a soccer mom. Actually looked like I could look like a soccer mom. I got touch to usual. You never really know, but back then that was like that look. Yeah. Yeah. So it's interesting how you say, like the way your like your face grows in a way that's that's good, like according to like your cheekbones. But then you have to have that person that you know and trust and love to have the skill because as you just explained, there's many types of scissors. It's not just crayola or backing scissors. Yeah. Actually, my spouse over COVID, she's gonna kill me for saying this loud. So Chris is her name, and she's like, oh, I was locked down. I couldn't go see my regular hair person that she went to like for like twenty years. She's like, I just used the dog grooming like the yeah, like you're kidding me, Well, didn't look that bad? Did look great? Look that bad? I'm like, okay, now let's get you to a proper barber.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was like, oh okay, Yeah. So it's it's different, like how what what works for one person and how something as small as seeing someone that is qualified and educated can change how we I'm talking to you like a consumer this context. Yeah, Like I know that if I want to feel better and how I look and how I'm presented, that I know that if I go and get my hair done, that's gonna put an extra pep in my step, the same way as if someone comes in here and doesn't workout forty minutes in and out, they're gonna be walking a little bit taller, a little bit more proud. And I think that's the same kind of idea or at least like relatable. Yep, that when people come into the lawn and I bet you have and I'm not even gonna bet, I know that you would have so many people going through so many different things sit in your chair. Yeah, yeah, if you had one story that was like your best story, something that you have remembered for a long time. What is one story from a client or from a teammate, or something that has stuck in your head.
Speaker 2: I honestly get asked this question so many times, and it's really hard for me to stick it like any of them, to stick it out, because some of them are really traumatic, so you try to block them out. Some of them are happy. But there's so much that goes on on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: I forget.
Speaker 2: I have been through weddings, I have been through cancer treatments, I have been through spousal passing away, I have been through baby losses. I have been through it all with my clients. So like, wow, yeah, like it's twenty years of business and hair and just growing with my clients the biggest Actually, it's more personal. I would say I was dealing with someone in the early years of my career. Yeah, because I use this when I mentor my younger staff coming on about why we need to make it easier to disconnect when we're at work from our real life. I was, or if they're burnt out and they need a brain to let me know, just say I'm burnt out and I need a break. And I'll understand. Use those words. We don't need to cut around corners. You can be honest with me and I will understand. I was dealing with a friend that had substance use abuse issues and it was coming to a point where it was taking a toll on me mentally and physically. We were at the end where it was like, this is the last time I can save you. You have to get treatment or we're going to have to take time apart. So, like going into work, I was noticeably not my bubbly happy self. And that's okay. It's okay to not be on every day, right, But trauma dumping with a client problem, yes, they're there to feel light. If it's a client that knows you really well and really wants to discuss it and talk it out with you, that's a different story. But trauma dumping and unleashing that negative energy is not okay. And then I had a client that saw someone they knew at the store that had come to see me and they're like, oh, yeah, I actually don't go see her anymore. And they're like what, and they're like, yeah, the last time I went it was really heavy and she wasn't okay, and it ruined the experience for me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's actually probably what sticks out for me the most because then it allowed me to understand that when I walk into that space every day, I'm also I'm responsible for myself and my own emotion, but I'm also affecting the person in my chair. So if that heavy feeling is something that they were going through at the same time and they needed a break from that, I didn't allow them that space, and I should have been able to say, hey, I need a break today. Yes, I can't do this today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So interesting too, because that's something that I've noticed about myself and here yep, because we make such good, solid relationships and connect and we end up a lot of us in here are very very close. Yes, And like I'm such a firm believer that I leave my I leave my shit at the door. Yeah. So, Like I had dogs that passed away like back to back, and it was like they were young, and it was like really like abruptly, and nobody knew and people like, oh, you guys have like X amount of dogs. I'm like, actually, no, we have one. This is all the time. We have one. They're like, yeah, what, like, why didn't you tell anybody? And I'm like, no, that's that's not my place because when I come in here, it's not I wasn't on my social media. I'm very specific with what I post on my social media as well, Like I post like some weird things once in a while, but it's for a plan and a purpose. So like, I also know that when I'm going through staffing issues that I don't want to be the person that tears down my own team, especially two members. Yes, and in saying that, there are some OG members that have been here through the ups and the downs where I'm like I need I needed to ask. No, they know No, you cannot hide it from them.
Speaker 2: They know you.
Speaker 1: They know you better than you know yourself. Yeah, but sometimes knowing what the audience is and what's the plan of this. So like I know that I have about three or four trustee steeds. I'm gonna call them like people that I trust that are members here. And if I'm going through something or if I'm like, oh, I think that this might be a thing, but I'm not too sure, so I'm like, hey, do you have capacity for an opinion? Can I talk to you about something, did this happen, did this take place? What is like? Are you good? And they'll tell me like I'm like, okay, cool, And they always come from a neutral standpoint, YEP, because I don't love especially like I played ball hockey for a long time when you have like Max was eighteen people. I started my own team once. Then nobody knew how to hold a stick except like maybe one or two people including myself that did not know how to hold a stick. And I'm like, well, I just want to have time with my friends, So if my friends can't play with me on this team. And it was like two people, I'm like, I'm start my own team, and they're like, you need up to like minimum thirteen people. I'm like, okay. I ended up like waitlisting people that wanted to be on my hockey team. So I ended up with eighteen people on my roster. We had lost of switches. It was great, but we were all eighteen women facing another team chasing one ball. Yeah, it was very dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you can imagine, out of over two hundred members here plus our staff, we have one male member, there's a lot of women in here. Yeah, there's a lot of fabulous women in here, yeah, and we all have our own life experiences and their personalities. But there's sometimes, as someone who is the filter of the business, there's things that happen that nobody will ever know, yeah, because it hits me first, or there's sometimes it hits other people first, and I'm like, hey, what is happening, Like the person that was drilling holes in the boat? Yeah, when three member come up, when three members send me messages and emails and call me and say, hey, this person who's not no longer here, This person who was a coach on the gym floor while she was teaching classes called you a bleep bleep bleep bleeping leap. I was like, why in my business on my jim floor in front of our members, to our members, I'm like, Okay, that's not that's not cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like trying to also ask your clientele because they're the first hand experience exactly. And also in saying that, like I know that our members here. It's a different business model in a different kind of a context because people here are coming three times a week, four times a week, five times a week, so it's easy to build those ongoing relationships, but also be like, you guys are eyes while I'm not here, not that I need it, but they know that if something happens, they're going to come and tell me about it. And I think that that is also so important is building a a team you can trust yep. But also if someone goes rogue, there's a community that they all believe in the same vision and feeling good, and as soon as something doesn't feel good, they're like, ah, no bueno, I need to go talk to the person that can actually address this properly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a fine line between like I want to talk to you about this, but I also don't want to trauma dump on you exactly, and also like you're going through your own shit and everyone's going through shit.
Speaker 2: So it's like that where you say, do you have the capacity, yeah to handle this conversation right now? That's like a great way to do that.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, it's remembering to ask that too. Yeah. I've gotten really really good at that. Yeah, Yeah, the capacity or do you know, because there's certain things that when we go through things, I feel like it's just a dead stop because there's certain things that you can't really talk to people about well.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it's hard to see what you're going through while you're in it. So seeing an outside of or opinion that has first hand I don't know the words I'm looking for right now, like bird's eye view, yeah, of what's happening in their first hand experience of what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm just getting their outlook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's okay to ask for outlook and help when it's done in the right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. Yeah, depends on what is the motive with Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things like that circulate online, and I'm always online because it's hard to run a business without being online. Yeah, you need to be social media socials, so you have to interact. Yeah, And like there's something that is said like if you are always if you talk about somebody, that person's talking about you as well. Yeah, And that's something that I don't necessarily believe because there's certain there's certain aspects. If it's like all the time and all the people, then sure, like I'll be like okay, cool. If it's I'm having a conversation to my spouse about something that's happening in the business or going on. Then I'm like, Okay, that's not necessarily Sometimes there's factual, but we don't have anyone above us. So when we hear things or do things or things need to change, sometimes you have to have those discussions. So if I want to talk to my right hand man about something the business, and I'm like, hey, and I talk about something that's going on and there's going to be name dropping, that doesn't necessarily mean that that's me talking shit, because again, it depends on what outcome are you looking for? Yes, yeah, and same like like vice versa, like from a business owner to a business owner. There's sometimes I have a friend that owns a gym and there was a membership that I ended up canceling, like over five six years ago, and this person came in and was like a bull in a China shop and route and mean and degrading to people. Yes, and people would see her name in class and they wouldn't show up. Yeah, So, hey, Kim, where's podcasting? Oh Kim just walked in, Kim says high, So I'm not even gonna edit that. That's kind of fun. So okay, I picking up where I dropped the ball there. So another gym owner in myself because I was also periodically going there as well as back a few years ago, and I said, I was like, ooh, this person I just saw is coming to your gym, and she was like, yeah, we'll see how that goes. I'm like, remember the story about and she was like, oh my gosh. She's like, tell me that's her. I'm like, yeah, that is her. She's like, okay, I could see it. I'm like, I'm just telling you just for your information, just so you can like watch what's going on. Yep. And sure enough, the same thing that she was doing there, she was going and doing it there. She ended up just fading out eventually. But it wasn't for me to say you shouldn't do business with that person, because I would never do that because I said to her, I'm like, maybe she's changed because this wasn't the atmosphere for her. Maybe she needed a different atmosphere, which is what she wanted. But I'm just letting you know that that's the same person. And she was like, oh, okay, thank you for that information. So I think like when it comes down to having the conversations about people, places, or things, sometimes I think it does depend on what is the outcome of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And in that moment, you were just trying to protect your friend and her business.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have one of those.
Speaker 2: We have daily night talks and both her husbands are like, oh my god, here she goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to have that. You need to get it off your chest. Yeah, you need a person always. Yeah. One of my really good friends, he's a chiropractor and Barry and he has his own business and there's sometimes and it's nice because we're not the same industry. Yes, so I'm like, oh, how's your day. How's your day? Oh? Nothing. He's such a nice guy that there's he's very consistent. Everything is very consistent. I'm like, oh, I wish that I could be even just like as peaceful as you are on the outside. And he's like, I wish I could be more outgoing and more sheet from the hip like you. And I'm like, no, no, no, that's it's all another ballgame. His balance, his balance, So like when we talk, it's like, oh, this is great. He just overlapped the same like business stuff y. Right. Yeah, so if you were to give someone advice and we're gonna wrap this up, real quick. I love having you on the podcast, Martina, like, it's so great to actually sit and talk with you, and I yell from other's side. I don't know, here we go. If you were to give someone advice that maybe they weren't feeling like themselves, I got two questions on that one, all right, one, what is advice that someone has given you? And what would you give to somebody else? Be real, not perfect? Oh yeah, I actually have a tattooed on my arm really case. Yeah yeah, Oh wow.
Speaker 2: I love that I had an army father and a European mother and everything had.
Speaker 1: To be done German at that. Oh yeah, wow, everything had to be done perfectly, and I carried that through life and it put a lot of pressure on.
Speaker 2: Me, sorry guys, Christine to just spilt water all.
Speaker 1: Over all over the train of thought.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, everything had to be done perfectly, and I was so in my head about making sure I was doing it perfectly.
Speaker 1: I wasn't enjoying the moment of it.
Speaker 2: So just being myself and not being perfect was exactly what I needed to hear when I heard it, and it was actually my education training. It was on the wall all weekend and I didn't see it till the last week.
Speaker 1: The last day. Oh yeah, wow, the things that sticky. Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So when I saw it, I'm like, oh my gosh. And that whole weekend I learned that being me was enough. And most people, if they're saying it's not, it's because they're projecting.
Speaker 1: Their own stuff onto you. Yeah, that's it. It's that simple, that is so solid. And reminding yourself of that every day.
Speaker 2: One other thing I learned too, is it is important, and it is very difficult for most people to do. Start standing in the mirror every day doing power.
Speaker 1: Poses, power pose like bam, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And affirm yourself the entire time. And if you really need to strip down with it, you need to strip down and naked and stand in front of a mirror. I haven't even gotten to that part yet. Nope, still not there yet. I've had children. You strip yourself down to your most vulnerable, your most vulnerable self, and stand in a powerful pose and affirm yourself for an entire minute. And when you can get to that, you're doing good. You start small and grow start ten seconds, thirty seconds, forty seconds, and just keep growing it.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, I've never heard that. I heard a lot of things I've never heard that. I'm gonna try it. It makes sense, right, it does make. It sounds very life changing and scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like becoming So when people see me personally on my hair Goddess page in my stories where I show my outfits and stuff, yeah, that's my favorite. That's me standing in the mirror telling me I'm worthy.
Speaker 1: That is cool. And then I take picre sure of it because I'm proud of myself and I just may get the outfit of the day. I love your wardrobe too, every time, like where'd you get that? Nice? It's from here, there and everywhere because Kirby Ladies. Right, yeah, all right, well we're gonna wrap it up. Thank you so much for talking with us today, Martina. Absolutely for anyone that's listening, if they want to follow you or find you or book an appointment, even how would they find you?
Speaker 2: Instagram, Charisma Hair Studio, Facebook, Charisma Hair Studio online, Google, Charisma Hair Studio. If it's online, we are there, and you can email charismahs at outlook dot com or you can call seven oh five seven nine two two eight five eight.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Thank you, no problem. Thank you and to those who are listening. If this resonated with you, feel free to like, share it, comment, leave us a beautiful Google review. If you loved your experiences with us as businesses, a special plug in there until next time,