Speaker 1: All right, what is going on? It is drivetime on a Monday afternoon, about twelve minutes past the hour of two o'clock. Another beautiful day, man. Our fall weather has been quite good. I know we need the moisture. I don't want to hear at porter. It's nice right now. I care about the environment. I alsill care about my golf game. Both can be true. It's okay, beautiful weekend, Happy Monday. I hope you had a great weekend and are off to a great start to your work week. And we are back at it for college football here locally, it's game week for Utah. It's game week for BYU kay Austin college football over the weekend, which, as we'll talk about today, is actually good news for both Utah and BYU for different reasons. I tell you why. Today on the show, also the latest on the health of Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know you're sick of it. I know you're tired of it. But the latest on the health for Cam Rising, who will be under center for Utah as we're back at it coming up on Friday night against Ask You and Fox Big Noon Kickoff, Urban Meyer, Matt liinerd Brady quinn All who have complicated relationships with BYU fans will be in provo coming up this Saturday. So Joe Klatt Gus Johnson on the call. We're going to try to get Gus on the show this week. Good friend of the show, Gus Johnson. Known Gus for a long time. He is excellent people and one of the best in the business. So we'll try to get him on this week to preview the weekend ahead in college football. Also low key chaos in the NFL. Over the weekend. Your pro football weekend will clumbin eight tonight with some Monday Night football. We are your home of the NFL in this market here on ESPN seven hundred, so you will get some Monday night football tonight and then that's it. Only one game tonight at Saints Chiefs from Arrowhead, Kansas City. A five point five favor that over Runners forty three point five, which feels low, but scoring is down in the NFL unless you're a fan of the Ravens and the Bengals. What a game that was. Get to some NFL takeaways on the show today. It's a historic week if you are a fan of sports in the state of Utah. If you're part of the ecosystem of the sports scene here in the state of Utah. We have NHL hockey arriving officially in our market tomorrow. The Chicago Blackhawks are in town for an eight o'clock Mountain time. They'll drop the puck, as they say, at eight o'clock. That game is actually on ESPN, so you can watch it on on ESPN tonight. The Jazz actually do host the Rockets. In a little preseason action, the Utah Jazz some care of the New Zealand Breakers on Friday night and they're off to a one to oh start in preseason. The end, RSL picks up a point on the road. Santose won Noil Diego Luna with a great strike with his left boots, catching the posts, going in RSL getting all three points on the road over the weekend and therefore locking in a top four seed in the MLS playoffs, meaning we have home playoff soccer in our market coming up, which for some of you may not move the needle. For a lot of you, it probably does. For me, it does because it's a lot of fun and we'll see who the opponent is. As of now, it feels like it's going to be Houston. Yeah, Yeah, that's where we're at. So a lot to do. How about a little wild Card baseball? Little playoff baseball? The Alds not Wildcard Divisional Series is where we're at. The Guardians and the Tigers so are going out of right now scoreless in the top of the second Royals and the Yankees will get going about five thirty eight Mountain time on TBS. So busy time. So not only do we get hockey coming up tomorrow, but PGA Tour golf returns to our state for the first time in over sixty years. Black Desert Championship taking place in Saint George that starts on Thursday. Our very own Ja Don Blake. One of the coolest stories coming out of this thing. Part excuse me, Saint George resident who is about to make his five hundred start on the PGA Tour and he'll do it in his backyard at the Black Desert Championship. Really cool. Did a couple of specials on him over the weekend on some local TV and just a really cool thing. So a lot to do on the show. Good guest list for you guys, as we are wont to do every Monday during the college football season. If you miss coach Wits media availability today, that's going to come your way right out of the gates, because it's important I think to hear what Kyle had to say today about a bunch of different issues that are currently going on both in and around the Utah football program. Coach what was asked about injury policy? Does he want uniform reporting across the landscape at college football breaking news? He does? And what's the latest hunder center and what are his thoughts on ASU the opponent coming up on Friday night? You so, Valimachi, I hope I'm saying that correctly. I believe I am Utah Hockey Club to get you ready for the hockey match coming up tomorrow. We're gonna visit with my buddy Ryan from Epic Brewing, former Utah quarterback Scott Mitchell, and Patrick Manning to talk a little Black Desert Championship. He's the managing partner. He's been on the show before and he has the ability to get free time tea times at Black Desert, so I am happy to have him on the show as much as he would like to join us. So I'm gonna let you hear from coach wit you so Valamachi from the Utah Hockey Club, little Scott Mitchell, little Patrick Manning, Me, Spence Jackets, all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson. More caught off guard with the chaos in college or pro football over the weekend. Both leagues had, and I say leagues intentionally. Both leagues had crazy, crazy games over the weekend.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong, You're not wrong.
Speaker 3: More cut off guard, I would say with the NFL, just because I don't expect the NFL to be as wild. College football, to me is so unpredictable based on as you mentioned, availability, based on week to week. You just don't know really what you get with a roster full of eighteen to twenty two year olds in this current landscape of the sport. So I think it was more caught off guard with the chaos on the pro side of things. But I think that's what's lovely about football is that I wasn't really caught off guard by any of it.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it, I loved it.
Speaker 3: But chaos is kind of what you start to expect when it gets into October November. That's just football, and it's what We're here for and can't wait for what should be even more chaotic in the coming what month to six weeks leading up to conference titles in the college football playoffs.
Speaker 1: We're halfway done, man, I've said every year, We're halfway done. It's gonna be week seven coming up with the landscape of college football. So enjoy it. Well it lasts all right. Our first guest, well not our first guest, but you're gonna hear from Coach win coming up on the other side. He addressed the media earlier today, and we bring it back to you every Monday as a proud partner of the University of Utah. You'll hear that coming up in a bit, but before we get to Coach Wick. Courtesy of howur good friends and you're good friends too. It's Standard Restaurant Supply. Standard Restaurant supplies your tailgate headquarters. Check them out at Standard restaurant dot com online or conveniently located at thirty five hundred South West Temple. Our good friends at Standard Restaurant Supply bring you your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check. It's on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 1: So we're back out of this week. We're back at it with both Utah and BYU. Pretty rare where both teams have a bye. Both teams are gonna have two buys this year. The first buy now behind us and now Utah football back out of coming up on Friday night. It is an eighth thirty kick against Arizona State at Mount America Stadium down in Tempe. Our pregame coverage will begin at four thirty, meaning the Drive that day will be a little bit of a short show and then I'll hand it over to Porter. Game time. Weather as of now is ninety five degrees in Tempe, even though it's a thirty mountain time, so it's gonna be a hot night as it always is down there. And Utah at this point, even though they were idle, they did move up in the poll and the AP poll as a result of the chaos that happened in college football over the weekend that we're going to get to in a moment. Utah is a three point favorite as of right now, okay, and so the line has oscillated a bit, but as of today, if I'm seeing the right line, I think I am BYU is a three point favorite. For BYU side of things today, pretty excited announcement as Fox Big Noon kickoff is coming to Provo coming up on Saturday for that BYU Arizona game, which is a really big game for a lot of different reasons. We'll get to that. That's a two o'clock Mountain time kick. And BYU is a three point five point favorite as we sit here today. So a couple things here over the weekend. We probably should have known because on Friday, Houston, who has not even looked like a serious football team, went down to TCU got it done. First upset of the weekend. Probably time to start talking about Iowa State a little bit differently. They're the highest ranked the Big twelve team as of now. Bring them young at second West Virginia goes to Stillwater, and I said, after Utah went to still Water, got through, went over, Okay State, Utah went to a place where the team doesn't lose and got it done well. Oklahoma State might just be bad, which is bad news for Utah. You know that win not looking near as good as it did. West Virginia fine, right, Maybe the seventh or eighth best team in the conference went to Stillwater and laid it on them. It wasn't just thirty eight to fourteen as a final. It was thirty one zero at one point, thirty one seven a half, and then West Virginia just cruised to the win. UCF battled down to Florida, but Florida got that done. Kansas also might just be bad. We thought they'd be better. Utah's opponent, Arizona State, got done there. And then Arizona, after rolling in here and smacking the Utes, goes back home and loses to Tech. It's just a really, really weird landscape in college football, and it happens. It just happens every year. If you listen to the show. First of all, thank you hello, how are you? Second of all, you know, I say every year, don't bet on college football because you're not going to win. It's so hard even for anybody who analyzes the sport covers it week in and week out, and I'm talking about the highest respected people like I listen to what Klatt says, and I listen to what a lot of the national analysts like Herb Street, our guy Josh Pay, guys like that. Everybody was wrong about what to expect this weekend and certainly, and we saw a bunch of different examples of it all weekend long. So Vanderbilt, who deserves a little credit here. Vandy is the only school in the SEC where you actually have to fill out paperwork to go to school. You actually have to sign something and then they make you go to class. They welcome in Alabama. And it wasn't just that they beat them because Alabama did write the ship Klein debor Alabama. They righted the ship a little bit. It was a close game with a ton of time left in the third quarter into the fourth, and Vandy held on forty thirty five for potentially the biggest win in the history of that program. Goalposts came down. The fans apparently walked two full miles while carrying a very heavy goal post before dumping it into a river near Nashville. So scene certainly down at Vanderbilt, but they gave us a little bit of a clue here. They beat VA Tech Week one, they took Mazoo to overtime. Look, nobody thought they were going to beat Bama, but just chaos and college football, and it wasn't just Bama. Tennessee, who most people thought had established themselves as a legitimate national championship contender, goes to Little Rock. They lose Arkansas, so they go home with a loss. Miami should have lost in Berkeley. Shout out to Cal. Some shoddy officiating to say the least, but Miami escapes with a thirty nine thirty eight win A and m smokes Massouo at Ford Field. Michigan goes up to the Pacific Northwest. They lose to Washington USC. I hate taking the victory lap every year about this overhyped program. Every year I hear about USC save it until they prove it. They're one and two in conference play. They lose at Minnesota and the hits continue. SMU is now in the top twenty five. That BYU win at SMU looks really really good. But ultimately over the weekend what took place is really good news for both Utah and BYU. We'll start with BYU side of things. They're one of twelve FBS teams undefeated. They're two and h versus the AP Top twenty five. They're the only team that's two and oh against the AP Top twenty five right now. They move up to number fourteen in the country. They're a legitimate Top twenty, top fifteen team now. They welcome in Arizona and Fox Big Noon Kickoff coming up on Saturday, a game that they're favored in. It's probably safe to say that if BYU wins on Saturday, and then the following week they go to Stillwater and get a winning it's okay. State again, not a great team, not ne year as good as we thought they'd be. With all the chaos that's happened in front of BYU. They could be a top ten program in two weeks. Then they go to Orlando, and I promise you there will be a lot, a lot of BYU fans in Orlando, I promise you. Okay, So they're go to UCF UCF. I still think it's solid, probably gonna be there in the end, and then they come up here to Salt Lake City to take on the Utah on the night. So good news for BYU because if they handle their business. They'll continue to kind of creep up the standings in a way that nobody thought they would if we're honest here, and so a lot of teams in front of BYU lose. And as a result of that, even though they were idle Bergham Young moves up a couple of spots in the AP and out of number fourteen. Now good news for Utah over the weekend. The reason why the weekend was good news for Utah, let me phrase it that way, is it's pretty safe to say, as of right now, there's an excellent chance that multiple teams in the CFP will have at least two, three, maybe even more losses. That's how even all this stuff appears to be. And it's not just in the Big twelve. It's pretty much all over the place. But if we hone in on the Big twelve at this point, your undefeated teams right now are Texas Tech, BYU, Iowa State, Colorado, and West Virginia. Those are your five undefeated teams. Okay, we thought the teams would be kay State, maybe Arizona, certainly Utah, Oklahoma State, and a lot of people like TCU and Kansas. It has been the exact opposite, and I hope that BYU continues to do what they've done so far and win football games. But I don't have a lot of confidence that any of those five teams will finish conference play with even a loss, probably multiple losses, because every weekend has brought chaos with the landscape of college football. It's why it's such a great product. We never know what's going to happen, and that's why we all watch. But I do think the chaos over the weekend is good news for both Utah and BYU. All Right, last thing here, Let's be clear about this. I'm not reporting anything. I am not telling you this is going to happen. I will remind you that I was the guy last year after the first month when Cam didn't play, who told you he wasn't going to play all year, and you got mad at me. I'm the guy last year after the first month who told you Brandt wasn't playing all year, and you got mad at me. That's fine. I am not here to tell you that any decision has been made, but I can tell you, based off a conversation I had over the weekend, there is a real feel inside the building that they're not that far off from just rolling with Isaac. The rest of the way, Friday Night is bigger than I think most people are making it out to be. And I can't say this for sure, but part of me believes, and I have an inclination in my gut to believe that if we're all watching Friday Night, eight thirty Mountain Time, and Utah's offense rolls out onto the field and it's eleven, not seven, there's a chance that that's the deal moving forward, period, end of story. And I get it. I don't know that I fully agree with it, only because I, like all of you. If you've watched Utah football for the past four or five years, you've seen Cam rise and do things that very few players in the history of this school have done at that position or elsewhere elsewhere. He is and will go down no matter what. We should be clear about this, no matter what happens with Cam the rest of the way, two PAC twelve Championships, two Rose Bowls, like his place is cemented. He should never pay for a beer in Salt Lake City ever. Again, I know a lot of you disagree with that because you're frustrated with the thing, but I still believe, no matter when it is, even if it's week seven, eight nine, whatever it is, when he's ready, I still think the job should be his because the Utah offense simply can be summarized through data and numbers. Right now, Isaac has seven picks. That's like one hundred and thirteenth in a country in FBS, Utah is one hundred and eleventh in red zone, one hundred and thirteenth on third down. Like, Okay, you're gonna roll with Isaac. I get it. Everyone's frustrated. You have to at some point turn the page and give Isaac all the reps with the ones. But if you're going to be there in the end with his conference in having something to say about the conference championship, if it's Isaac, it just has to be better somehow, someway. I'm not the offensive coordinator. Those guys know way more about their team than I do. Coach Ludwig earns the benefit of the doubt from you guys. Hopefully he can figure something out, dial some things up. If it is Isaac, because the offense has not been good enough. Look what we know about Utah football this year can essentially be summarized with what we know about the way Kyle Whitneyham believes football should be played, and far be it for me to argue with a guy who has a pedigree and a resume like his as to what he should or should not do. Play good defense, take care of the football, you know, establish a good run game, and hopefully bounce it out with what, like Kyle likes to say, a good throw game. But they really haven't been able to do any of that with consistency with Isaac Hunner Center yet. Now could it happen? Sure it could, And I have to wonder that if they do decide to pull the plug and just go with Isaac and turn the page on Cam Rising with that open up something in Isaac's mind, knowing that the job is his now, I don't know what's gonna happen on Friday. Let you guys decide for yourself, because coming up next, we're gonna hear from coach Kyle Whittingham his media availability from earlier today. He has some things to say about this and a lot of other topics. All right, before we catch a break, welcome in my guy Ken from Lifestyle, Men's Health, Ken, Happy Mind, and man, how are we doing?
Speaker 5: I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: How you doing doing well? Appreciate the time. So I'll just speak to what Doctor Peterson and Lifestyle Men's Health have helped me with and I'll turn the.
Speaker 2: Time over to you.
Speaker 1: I am a man in my mid forties and about a year ago, Doctor Peterson came on board and you know, asked if I had ever had my testosteron levels tested, which I had not, asked how old there was, and she said, well, it couldn't hurt. So we went in, did some blood work, very simple, not evasive, and my levels came back relatively normal, a little bit low, and so she wrecked commended just trying a little bit of testosterone therapy a couple of times a week, which I've done now for a year, and it has made a huge difference. My body looks different, my skin looks different. I'm as trim as i've been in probably seven eight years. I'm in much better shape. It helps my workouts, it helps my sleep. So if you're listening and you're a man in your mid forties, I can tell you you should call and ask about this because it does help. The second part of this is the vitality peptides. It's been about three and a half months, and that is kind of taking it next level. Okay, so again, better sleep, my skin looks better. I just overall feel better with energy and lack of lack of like cloudiness. I'm much more clear mentally. So those two, the peptides and the testosterone, I can give a personal testimonial as to how they've made a difference for me. What's been your experience can with lifestyle men's health, you know, me.
Speaker 5: Being in my mid sixties the same, you know, I've gone through the same thing where I'd work out, but I really didn't see a difference. So once I started taking testopteron because I was on the lower end, and our medical you know community, they say normals between three hundred and nine hundred deaths is way too low, you know, or too wide of a difference. We need to be seven hundred plus. I was four twenty five now I'm ten eighty seven. When I work out, my muscles are defined, the pep types, like you talked about, spent, the clarity, things that slow down, and if you've ever been in sports, you know when you're on the top of your game, everything this slows down. So we just want to optimize men's health. And by doing that, you know, we can do that, you know with testosinery replacement and these PEP types. So people should call in, come in. You know, we have mobile labs. We can actually send the labs out to your house. You don't even have to come into the to the office. But we're very excited about these products.
Speaker 1: All right, Ken, what's the special offer you have for our listeners to give you a call today?
Speaker 5: Well, anybody that calls in today for to want to get the testosterone, what we'll do, You'll throw in the labs free labs and so don't hesitate. We can't do this for too many people, so you know, Spence, give them the number and in our website.
Speaker 1: All Right, guys, today's the day to give them a call. Like I said, we just gave you a lot of info. So the best thing to do is call the number and just follow up and ask them questions because they're very nice people. And yes, real people do answer the phone. So here's the number. Three eight five four five eight nine two zero three. That's three eight five four five eight nine two zero three. Let's tell you a bouy my friends at Diamond Coat. It's premium home siding. They're new here along the wallside front and you won't believe what they can do to your home's exterior. Diamond Coat Siding next generation system delivers the exterior transformation you deserve to level up to the neighborhood standard. They're the total design solution that shows your personal style with endless styles and colors for limitless customization. And they're thirty year no fade warranty means your visual will last for decades to come. Design beyond limits, beyond expectations with diamond Coat now available in the Salt Lake City area. Premium home siding, littless potential, endless styles and colors. They're your design solution year round, weather ready, durable in all seasons, which of course is very important here in Utah. Discover more at Diamondcoatsiding dot com. That's Diamondcoat spelled Kote Siding dot com. But as we do every Monday during the college football season, we'll let you hear from the head coach of the Utes here. He is Coach Wit.
Speaker 6: First of all, bye week came in a really good time for us. Gave us a chance to regroup a little bit and get some guys, some of the bumps and bruises that have accumulated.
Speaker 7: Healed up.
Speaker 6: We've been going shoot since August first, so over two months straight without any sort of a break. So it's good for these guys to get a break. I think we, as we do every year, try to strike a good balance with getting some practice in but at the same time giving them some downtime to refresh. Arizona State road trip this week, they're playing well four and one. Impressed with you know a lot of things about their football team. They're much more productive offensively this year than they were able to be last year. The tailback is a tough, hard nosed guy, some good receivers, just very productive on offense. Quarterback is definitely a dual threat. So we got to work cut out for us. And it's gonna be hot, which is nothing new to us. We've had a few hot games this year and so I think ninety seven at kick is what it's projected to be. But it's you know, same for both teams, just like always, so so we'll just be able to have to handle that. And that's where we're at. So questions justin I should say, question.
Speaker 8: Okay in regards to the Arizona University game.
Speaker 5: In the first quarter, it was fourth down two years ago, you decided to go for the first down instead of kicking the field goals. It is in my belief that if you would have kicked said field goals, we could have kept the momentum and could have potentially won the game. Would you follow the same protocol this week? And he's not a fan of the analytics.
Speaker 6: You're not a fan of analytics, So you know you don't believe in science, is what you're trying to say. Uh, you know, there's there's a there's an argument for that, But the analytics was heavily, heavily in favor of going for it in those situations. I've said before, we are pretty tuned into the analytics. It's not absolute for us, and if we have a different field and we'll go a different direction.
Speaker 7: But when it's that.
Speaker 6: Heavily skewed to going for it, you know, field goals obviously, touchdowns are worth more than double a field goal, and so if you end up kicking field goals a bunch, you don't win many games. And so, in hindsight, if I knew we weren't going to get it on fourth down, we would have we would have kicked, but the strategy and the definite statistic goal, uh recommendation was to go for it. So unfortunately, we we were zero for fourth down in that game, where we had been really good the week before. We were four for five, uh the week before at uh Oakie State. So it was a complete reversal of that. But but uh, yeah, there's some old school guys apparently or one of them that uh that would like to carry Okay, thank you for that question, justin by the way, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: A week ago you said can't rise and all play as soon as he gets to go ahead? Does that go ahead from the medical staff or the coaching staff.
Speaker 6: Medical staff, Uh, without any other input. I mean, it's all we're following the recommendations. We he has following the recommendations as well as from the doctors, and and uh, we'll see what happens this week. But but there's a there's a chance I can tell you that, and and uh it's still early in the week, but uh, we're crossing our fingers and hoping for the best as his camp and so we're we're just seeing how things play out. But again, we follow all the medical recommendations. We're not gonna you know, I'm not a doctor, Cam's not a doctor. We're not going to go against that. So that's where we're at.
Speaker 10: Kyle.
Speaker 11: I'm just curious, what is I guess your strategy behind how you approach the injury report and kind of to follow up on that the Big Ten and the SEC they have mandated injury reports. Would you be in support if the Big twelve were to go in that direction?
Speaker 6: One hundred percent. But since there is no mandate, why would you tip your hand in any way, shape or form with injuries? It doesn't make any sense to give the opponent any more knowledge than they have. And so that's the only reason it's not. It's no other reason other than there's a competitive advantage. Even though it might be just slight, it's it's still an advantage. The less they know, the more we know, uh you know, that type of deal. But but yeah, I would be I would support that if the Big Twelve were to come out and say, hey, you need to you know, disclose and have an injury report. But I don't think it should be conference to conference Again. I think P four should all operate under the same guidelines, the same rules regulations. Right now, it's all over the place. And so I would be in favor of whoever would make that call for all P four confidence to be aligned and have a consistent way of handling and dealing with injuries.
Speaker 7: So that's where I'm at.
Speaker 12: If a player is medically cleared, but he's not one hundred percent, what's your philosophy.
Speaker 7: On playing him?
Speaker 12: If that player isn't one hundred percent, but whatever percent he is gives you a better chance to win than one.
Speaker 7: Hundred percent of the backup. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: You answered your own question, PK exactly. It's that's exactly the formula. It's it's who gives you the best chance to win? Is an eighty percent cam Rising more of an opportunity to win than one hundred percent Isaac Wilson. And so that's a coach's decision, a coach's call, and it's you know, it's you're not going to be right all the time, but that's that's the exact criteria we use. And first of all, you know, you don't want to expose the kid to you know, furthering the injury. But you wouldn't get clearance if he didn't you know, if that was the case, so it would be exactly what you just said. Whoever that particular week gives us the best chance to win given the physical circumstances, would that would.
Speaker 7: Be the guy?
Speaker 10: Kyle Cam is obviously your guy. But does there come a point in the season where if Cam isn't available that you have to look to the future and just turn it over the eye just to say that this is what it is? Or how long do you wait?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a good question, and yeah, there is a point. I'm not going to pin ourselves down to an exact specific time, but as things progress, and then also the conference race. You know, where are you in the conference race. There's some things that enter into it, but it certainly could come to that point, but we're not there yet.
Speaker 10: And to fall with with Isaac, where does he need to make those next steps each week, especially own or what are you saying that that needs to improve?
Speaker 6: I would say the entire his entire game just needs to continue to get tighter and better, you know, cut down on the interceptions. First of all, you know, we've had some interceptions along the way, but there's not one any glaring not any one glaring area we can say, boy, he's really lacking in this or that. It's just he's a freshman, a true freshman, and there's gonna be a learning curve, and there's gonna be mistakes made that you're gonna have to live with. And as long as the more reps he accrues and the more time he gets, you know, playing time, the less those mistakes show up and we're turning in the right direction.
Speaker 7: That's really what you're looking for.
Speaker 11: To kind of piggyback off of that question. Given isaac struggles with turnovers, is there you know, if the keys do have to get handed over to him at some point, is there gonna be a consideration to maybe maybe get Brandon Rose or Sam Heward more reps given the struggles that the offense has had without Cam under Isaac.
Speaker 7: Not right now.
Speaker 6: Right now, Isaac is the is the guy, and if Cam becomes the guy again, then Isaac becomes the clear cut number two. And again, if Isaac continues to play and doesn't trend in the right direction, then just what you said may come into play, But right now, we don't feel that's in play at this point.
Speaker 9: Bernard's had a fantastic season. But what have you seen from the other running backs lately and how do you get more production out of them?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Mackay has been the bell cow, he's been RB one. He's played himself into that role. He was not in that role initially at the beginning of the season, where he lets things sort themselves out, which they have, and he is the guy that's getting the vast majority of the carries. The other backs, Mike Mitchell just a freshman still learning, but he's added some value to that room and had some good carries this season. Dejon Stanley's done the same thing, although he's more of a limited package guy. Charlie Vincent's contributed. Jalen Glover is a guy that is in the room as well that you may see start to get more time. But Makaya is the number one guy and his play has been outstanding and so that's why he has got the vast majority of the carries.
Speaker 8: Bye weeks are important for the players to recoup and rest. For for coaches, how much does it help you guys to reset strammatically personnel wise, just assessing your team gives us a.
Speaker 6: Good opportunity to evaluate everything. But there's a lot of recruiting going on as well during the bye week, So it's not just football. Our coaches were on the road for half the half the bye week and so and recruiting never stops. You're doing some form of recruiting every single day, and so when you have a bye week and let you physically get off campus and go watch players and evaluate and so so that was going on. But the you know, being able to again self evaluate and help you know, make make personnel decisions going forward. All that type of stuff is bye week is a good time to get that done.
Speaker 13: Given the Arizona ran from more than five yards of carry over one hundred and fifty yards, how do you challenge your defense? How do you talk to them in the film room? And I kind of set the stage. Then you're going against the team.
Speaker 7: Likes to run the ball, and that's pretty good at it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well just challenge him just like that, say, if we can stop the run, then we got a good chance of winning. And we did not do a good job against Arizona. We've done a pretty good job all season up until that game. Well all season what was at three games, four games, But.
Speaker 7: That'll be the key this week. They're a run heavy team.
Speaker 6: They're well over two hundred yards of game rushing, and if we're as non effective as we were in the Arizona game, it's going to be a long It's going to be a long night. And so that is the big challenge for our defense is to start up and become what we know we can be against the run.
Speaker 11: Obviously, you walked in the season kind of because there was rumors floating that Cam could potentially play an eighth year of college football given his injury status. Is that a possibility if he has has to shut down for the rest of the season, that he could potentially come back for an eighth year of gold game?
Speaker 6: You know what, I couldn't say for sure. That's a compliance question. But if it does come to that point, that's something we would thoroughly.
Speaker 7: Have the answer to and research.
Speaker 6: But I haven't even really given that any thought because we're just hopefully going to get him back sooner rather than later.
Speaker 7: So and I know he wants to play. He wants to play badly.
Speaker 8: With the way that the schedule has been set up, you have this week, next weekend, the week after three games, and then another bye week. How crucial is this stretch of the schedule for you.
Speaker 6: Guys, Well, it's very crucial. I mean, we got our backs to the wall in a lot of respects.
Speaker 7: Right now.
Speaker 6: You look at the standings in the Big Twelve and there's two or three teams with three losses.
Speaker 7: That are essentially out of it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know if I don't see how that any way that they can I guess I shouldn't say there's no way, but it's very, very unlikely that they're going to have an opportunity to be in.
Speaker 7: The championship game.
Speaker 6: Then the two loss teams have a somewhat of a chance, and everyone with one loss or less is still right in the thick of it. But every week we're we got to get back on track. We didn't play well against Arizona. You can be a good football team and not play well and get your butt energy.
Speaker 7: You look at Alabama.
Speaker 6: You tell me that Vanderbilt has even close to the personnel that Alabama has. There's no way, I mean that Minnesota has even close to the personnel that USC has. And so that there's illustrations all over the place where it doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: Well, it matters.
Speaker 6: But you can be a really good football team, but if you don't perform and execute, you're gonna get beat. And so where we are right now, we can't look past the Arizona State. Yeah there is three games that I buy, but it's all focused on Arizona State, and this is an important stretch and it's you know, we gotta we got to get the ship turned back around because it was a very disappointing loss against Arizona. The quarterback played well again for Feeda. The receivers terrific. I don't want to diminish their you know what they accomplish, but we did not play well.
Speaker 10: Obviously, you like to have earlier games. I think you said you want four am games.
Speaker 7: If you could, sure, let's go.
Speaker 10: Yeah, when you have these late games, you know, a couple of weeks ago with the Arizona game, now you get this game with Airzon State. How do you keep guys or what do you do as a team to kind of help them kind of stay in the mode and not let the day just kind of get away from them.
Speaker 7: Good question.
Speaker 6: On game day when it is at late kick, we have first of all meetings. You know, there's some short not extensive, but short offense defensive meetings walk through. We have a flex period where they go and stretch out and stay loose. We got a nap period, you know, a designated nap block of time. There's you know, three meals that day. You got breakfast, lunch, and the pregame meal later on, and so so we find a way to keep them occupied, but make sure they have enough time just to you know, rest and relax and get themselves ready for the game. And it'll be important this week to hydrate. I mean obviously that was you know, that would be part of it, and so pushing fluids on game day as well as all week long.
Speaker 7: But that's that's a big part of it.
Speaker 11: Kind of to shift focus to the red zone issues that you guys have had for the past two weeks. How much of that is not having CAM in the lineup versus just personnel and schematic struggles.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Cam's very good in the red zone historically, and so that's that's a part of it. And we're about twenty percent off what we need to be. It's not like we just absolutely are horrible. We're at fifty percent, which isn't good by any means. But seventy percent is our target. And if we can be seventy percent in the red zone, which we have been several years, then that's good production. And Cam would certainly you know, an experienced kiny like him. That's that's got you know, as much a crude football time, he's going to be very adapted functioning in.
Speaker 7: The red zone.
Speaker 9: Sam Lovitt was someone you guys looked at in the transfer portal. What'st it out about him in that time and what challenges does he pose to the defense.
Speaker 6: His athleticism, he's a he's a true threat, dual threat. As I mentioned earlier. He's doing a good job with the QB run game for him. He's still really got and so his development is still you know, ahead of him. His efficiency rating right now is about one thirty three throwing the ball, so got some work to do there. And but you know, he's doing a really good job of doing what they're asking him to do, and they they're doing a really good job of making sure the offense is tailored to his skill set. And he's, like I said, a very capable runner. He's a tough kid. We liked everything about him. We thought it could be in terrific safety as well or linebacker. I mean he's one of those qbs that could play two or three other spots, and he's so athletically. A Chase Hansen type of guy. Yeah, go Yankees. Five o eight. I think that's first pitch, five thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Coach Wi Porter. It's not talked about enough how similar Kyle and I are. Nobody really that should be discussed more. I think around the mark we have a lot in common. I'm all gas, no breaks, You're you. Sometimes you're in the way, but I'm all in and Port. I want to say some of you today, we will not become you, you will become us. Go Yankees.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm not joining the Yankees, nor nor am I. I'm trying to be a part of that particular group.
Speaker 1: So the point is how similar Kyle and I are. That's the point.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can see that right and listen.
Speaker 3: In a lot of ways, I would love to be like Kyle Whittingham. That's not one of them, an LA guy cheering for the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Come on, Kyle, what is the Do you have the origin story for Coach Witt being a Yankee fan?
Speaker 2: I think it was a specific player. Maybe back in the day.
Speaker 1: Something didn't know that until today, I should have known that he's I.
Speaker 3: Do know that he's not a Dodgers fan because he was. He was in more of an Anaheim so he was like an Angels guy. But they were so bad that I think maybe he veered towards the like you say, a team that wins sometimes.
Speaker 1: You know what, Maybe Kyle and I will FaceTime you this week when we're studying ASU film. Yeah, just a couple of Yankee I can a couple of Yankee fans that grind on tape. It's not a big deal. Just people should talk about it more.
Speaker 2: All right, cometes Gon, bring in.
Speaker 1: Scott Mitchell today, Homer Utah and NFL quarterback all the latest on the QV position at the U. Look ahead, ASU talk, a little Big twelve football, a little national college football from a big picture standpoint. Chaos Week six, College Football Week seven. My goodness, we're already halfway done, man, as we have turned our calendars to October now, so we'll get to that coming up, Patrick Manny will stop by. It is a historic week in our state as we're going to get golf PGA Tour golf for the first time in sixty years, and for the first time ever, we get some hockey. Chicago's in town, the Blackhawks tomorrow night at the Delta Center. You saw Vlamachi as our guest on a Monday you So, how are.
Speaker 15: You, buddy, I'm doing good. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well appreciate your time today. So let's just start as you are new to our fine city, our fine community, and we are thrilled to have you guys here, excited for tomorrow night. What have you learned about your new home? What have you learned about Salt Lake City and Utah and the folks that you've met so far.
Speaker 15: I mean, it's beautiful. That's definitely the one thing that kind of jumps out. And I think the other one that's it's been really nice to notice is you know, the people. People are super nice. Everyone's been really welcoming and just around our neighborhood and you know, obviously around you know, the rink or where wherever we've kind of been, and you know, you can just sense the excitement that everybody has towards us and the team being here. So that's that's something that's really exciting and fun and motivating for us. So yeah, those those two things stand out.
Speaker 1: We've had a couple of your teammates on the show for the past few weeks. I'm gonna ask you some of the same questions I asked them because we're all of us here. You saw in the market. We're trying to get to know you guys a little bit. So tell us about yourself, where you grew up, when you first started playing hockey, and the path that ultimately has landed you. Hear in Salt Lake.
Speaker 15: Well, I'm from Finland. So I grew up in temperet there and I played there until I was fifteen. Then I went to the WHL. I played in Troy Cities for three years, got drafted to Calgary. I played there for multiple years, probably what three or four years, and then I got to Arizona two years ago and then spent two seasons with them and came over with the team to Utah. So that's kind of a short version. So I've been, uh, I'm being away from from my homeland, Finland for for many many years now. So that's where I started started playing hockey and grew up and all that. But I've been I've been on this side of the planet for for quite a.
Speaker 1: While now you So I might be the thousandth person ask you this, but I honestly don't know. Are you familiar with Lowry Marketing? And have you made contact with with Lowry who obviously plays for the Jazz and is a as a finished gentleman just like yourself.
Speaker 15: Yeah. Yeah, we've kind of met in in April when we came over here to visit, and we've stayed in touch ever since ever since that, and we've you know, seen each other a couple of times. We both have a have a family now, so the whole families have been kind of linked up a couple of times. We've done some things, and you know, they've been to help, you know, especially at the start, kind of showing around a little bit and telling what's where and kind of how to handle you know, a lot of things. And yeah, I mean they've been to help, and they're super super nice family and definitely kind of exciting to have that kind of connection there with not your team, but still you know, playing sports and obviously being from Finland, so that's uh, it's definitely cool.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up playing any other sports or were you all hockey? All all the way or did you try other sports when you were younger as well.
Speaker 15: I played soccer for like a summer. It wasn't really my sport, so I kind of stopped it pretty quickly. And I used to ski a lot. I know a lot of Utah people love love that, and a lot of good opportunities here to do so, so I used to do that a lot when other kids fortunately not really allowed to do it more, but excited to do that once I'm once I'm done at some point in my my life. But yeah, I never really played any other sports, I you know, competitively for for longer periods of time, So I was pretty much much hockey for me.
Speaker 1: I've read that you have a family member that's a pro golfer. Do you ever swing a golf club? You like you got to play a little golf at all?
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I play golf now, especially during the summer a lot.
Speaker 14: I really enjoy it.
Speaker 15: It's something that, you know, kind of makes me relaxed. One of those sports where you just kind of talking or thinking only only your next shot, and kind of the game of golf you kind of leave maybe the outside world behind. So I I really do enjoy it. And yeah, my cousin actually will be in that tournament and you playing for the PGA Tour, So that's that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna head down to Saint George and check it out at all?
Speaker 15: I think that timing doesn't really work, you know, what's going on the road and stuff. So I wish I could, but I wish it was a little bit a little bit closer to even like an hour or two drive, then it would be kind of makeable. But it'll be too far with the schedule that we have. But maybe maybe another time. Hopefully one of these years we'll have a chance to do that. Kind of same thing happened last year in Arizona when he was playing at the Waste Management. We were kind of we just left on a road trip and had a home game there too, so we kind of missed the whole tournament. But that's just how it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you're busy playing games and practicing because you're a professional athlete, So that's kind of how it goes. Hey, I wanted to I wanted to kind of kick the ties with you on the type of players that you are because you're a defenseman. You have really good size, but you you have in the past for Calgary and for the Arizona Coyotes scored goals and provided a lot of assists as well. So what sort of player for our new hockey fans? What sort of player are you?
Speaker 15: One of those you know, kind of two way defensemens. I, you know, I really like playing with the puck. I like to, you know, get into the rush sometimes and make them make some plays. But I think I've established my game to the point where I consider myself as a you know, reliable on the defensive side as well. For a job is to keep the puck out of the nets. So yeah, but I like playing, you know, two hundred good game and I kind of take bridon both of those kind of areas, you know, the offensive game and the defensive game.
Speaker 1: So I wonder, because I've asked your teammates as well, this is really you So, as you know, an unprecedented thing in the history of professional hockey for a city like ours to be able to grab a team. It isn't an expansion team that has infrastructure in place. There just obviously was chaos down in Arizona. What was that process like for you when you got a phone call and you're like, hey, just so you know, you live in Utah. Now, what was what was that?
Speaker 14: Like?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean kind of at the start, it was, you know, a little bit of a shock in a way that it's just kind of happened so quickly, and it's like, you know, kind of a big decision like that, it's kind of made for you, Like it's like, hey, okay, well you guys are all moving to Utah. It's not like do you have a say in it or you have a choice to be made there. So obviously a little bit of a shock like that. But I think what really kind of turned the corner for me and for for all of us was to visit visit down here for those two days in April. I think that's just when everybody, you know, realized what we're coming into, how awesome it's going to be, and what a nice place it is to live. I think just in that short period of time, you were able to kind of get the idea of of how how nice it will be down here, and I think it just made everyone like excited and motivated for the summer and for the season to come. So I think after you know, the initial kind of a shock what's going on? It turned into you know, excitement and and motivation really quickly.
Speaker 1: Col I wonder we've heard from Bill Armstrong over the weekend and Andre Torny, your head coach, about the decision to make Clayton Keller the first ever captain for the Utah Hockey Club. I guess down in Arizona there was not one captain. It was more of like leadership by committee. So give me the reaction to locker room that Clayton Keller has been named your captain. What can you tell us about that decision?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, you know, definitely, you know, well deserved. I think that's that's the guy who you know, we're happy to follow. And you know, he's definitely a great leader. He leads by example, He really cares about his teammates, who really cares about you know, winning and being at his best every night. And you know, I can be happier that you know he's your captain, and I think all of us kind of feel the same way. And and we're ready to go to war together and him leading us.
Speaker 1: So big time edition of the offseason in your positional group with Sergachev being brought in Michel, Who's won a couple of Stanley Cups and still certainly is in the prime of his career. You so help me understand what this edition means and how it's been to well welcome him into your locker room and in your positional group.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean it's been awesome. He's a great guy. Obviously knows I was probably hockey pretty well, you know, even though as he's reasonably young, I think he's got, you know, a lot of experience and like you mentioned, he's got some cups and a lot of playoff appearances and and all that, so that's valuable for us. There's a lot of a lot of from from our group from Arizona don't don't have much of experience there, so I think that's really helpful. And and I think he's proved over his career that he can be really, uh, you know, impactful player for for the team he's he's playing for. And I think that's what you know, we're expecting off him, and and we know he can do that. And you know, obviously gated great edition on and off the ice, so we're we're really happy to have him.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, there's a lot of rumor going around in the community about the permanent name of the team. I've got to ask you you, so, what is your favorite hypothetical name that you've heard thrown out there? And do you know what the what the team name is going to be when the death settle.
Speaker 14: No, I don't.
Speaker 15: I don't know anymore than than you guys do. So we're still in the guessing game game as well. But you know, honestly, I I kind of like the you know, all of them, and I don't think there's one kind of name that I want to throw out there. Take that as as whatever you kind of want. But I think it's when you look at the options. I think you can make all of them, you know, really good. You can put in a nice logo, you can make it with the colors, you can, you know, make a nice mascot of all that stuff. So I'll be happy either way.
Speaker 1: There's not one favored that you like that you want to throw out there, there's not one that stands out.
Speaker 15: No, I'm not gonna say mine, all.
Speaker 14: Right, all right, just in case.
Speaker 1: No, that's smart, that's smart. That's the way to go. Hey, we've been having this debate about who the rival club will be for you guys now regionally, Colorado seems to make sense. But they're really good and this is a new thing, and oftentimes rivalries kind of take place. I've always been of the opinion rivalries take place in playoff action or when they're really big games on the line, not just like regular season battles. Any thoughts on who the rival club will be for the Utah Hockey Club.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean I think it'll be kind of dictator a little bit. How the games kind of start going, you know, the most heated matchups that we'll have against my might just kind of decide it for us. But but I think kind of realistically, Colorado, like you kind of said, make makes probably the most sense, you know, being kind of you know, close, and both of us we have a little bit of altitude on the air and like just kind of like similarities in that way. And obviously we'll be playing against each other quite a bit, so that would in my head, that would kind of make sense. But I guess the games will kind of decide for us and see how it goes.
Speaker 1: So Bill Armstrong often talks about this this rebuild process that the club is going through and has gone through for a while, and you've been with the club. This will be your third year, so you've kind of experienced this rebuild. You were a part of it when you were acquired, as I believe a twenty two or a twenty three year old. So help us understand what the process you so has been like so far and what you guys believe the next steps are in this rebuild process.
Speaker 15: H Yeah, I mean, it's uh, it's something that's a little bit you know different, I guess, you know, in the last couple of years, especially kind of during the trade deadline, you know, there's been a lot of deals. You know, we kind of dealt a lot of guys, and that's something that's you know, a little bit difficult and and and hard, and you're losing your teammates and and I you know, it's obviously we haven't you know, made playoffs or haven't like won you know, too many games like that. So I guess that's kind of a little bit part of it. I don't really like thinking about it in that way. I think, you know, the whole kind of world rebuild and and what it kind of means, I think it's more for for the management, and that's you know, obviously they have to have plans for for each year, but for a longer time as well. I think as a player, you just kind of want to you know, you obviously want to win every single game that you're playing in at and me when I improve as a player, you want to focus on getting better and you know, not worrying about what's kind of happening outside of you. I've I've heard the phrase control you can control about a million times in my career from from some wise people, and and I think that's, you know, as a player, that's kind of what you need to do. And I don't think you can worry about too much on on what's going on, and and you know, higher up, at the end of the day, my job is to to play the best I can and and try to help my team win. And that's you know, what I've tried to do for the last two years. And I think all of us in the room we've had the same mind that we've you know, we we just wanted to, you know, do our best and and win as many games as possible and and all the rest is is kind of out of our control. But I think obviously going into the year, we are excited about the group that we have. You know, a lot of a lot of us have kind of we are the same, like you said, we have experienced, you know, a lot of stuff. So I think we are you know, all ready for to take a step forward, you know, win more and more games and and uh and really make a push and and kind of a splash around the ripe around the league. So I think we're all ready for that. We've all grown a little bit. I think we have, you know, the pieces to to get better and be better. And I think something that you know, we talk about of the group is is still kind of taking things to day at a time. You know, there is all kinds of noise and and everything going around with you know, being a new team, every everyone being excited and you know, on and on. But I think for for us as a group, what we want to do is just focus on each day, folks, on being better, you know, each game day, winning that winning that game, and that's what we're focused on now and tomorrow will be focused on on being in Chicago and on opening night.
Speaker 1: Oh well said, yeah, you're a pro, You've done this before. That was an excellent answer you So I appreciate your time today, best of luck tomorrow, stay healthy, and we'd love to do it again.
Speaker 15: All right, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, alight you sav Alibaki. He's a defender. He plays on the defensive side for the Utah Hockey Club, but he scores goals and he provides service. So le be utilized in power plays, attacks, power play attacks and such, so please appreciate his time. Yeah. He has nine goals and fifty eight assists in his career, including thirty assists two years ago for the Arizona Coyotes. All right, gotta tell you about my friends, a clear Water Distilling. It's the only distillery in Utah County open on Sundays. They have great spirits, they've got a tasting room and really some of the nicest people around. They're doing their limited release Wednesday whiskey Batch number two's mix of their bourbon and Rye whiskeys. They've got the Scandalus they Renee. Check out their vodka. It's available now in most date liquor stores. Football season is kicked off and clear Water is the official spirits provider for our vip ESPN tailgate that we have at every home game. Do yourself a favor. Check out the tailgate, schedule a tour and tasting in their Victorian tasting room. It makes a great date night or a fun activity anytime. Authentic vintage Prohibition prescriptions and decor. Try their Scandalus. It's a no sugar, no no additives, great tasting, grown up version of cinnamon whiskey. They have ultra premium spirits. You can buy their spirits and State liquor stores online or take a trip to their beautiful distillery. You can grab some booze, some local cigars and immerse yourself in the clear Water distilling culture. Check them out at clearwaterdstilling dot com. Located five sixty four West one hundred of South down in Pleasant Grove, Sweet four oh one. All right, before we catch a break, we welcome in Ken from Lifestyle Men's Health. Ken. How are we doing, buddy?
Speaker 5: I'm doing fantastic And I got to tell you I missed the tailgating.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, it's a great scene up there. We only have three Utah home games left, which kind of breaks my heart. But it's been a lot of fun. Anytime you want to roll up you definitely should just let us know, all right, So let's start here. For a while, there was a treatment in our market for a rectile dysfunction that has proven to be ineffective and unfortunately a lot of listeners, a lot of people in the market went and tried it. They paid good money for it, and it hasn't worked for them. So let's start with why your treatment for rectile this function is different than the other companies that we've had in the market.
Speaker 5: Sure, first, I'll tell you this. I actually tried the other treatments and it didn't work for myself either, And that's why I went out and I met doctor Angela Peters and I met with her and what she was offering in the you know space, if you will, with the stem cells regentitive, the tissues as we get older get shrinking, and so with the using stem cells that actually opens those tissues up and grows brand new blood vessels. That's why I became her partner. You know, we want to bring this to as many men as we can. You know, we have. I'm actually down in Scottsdale, Arizona or clinic down here, and then of course Angela, doctor Angela Peterson is up there in Salt Lake in the Draper area, and I tell you it works. It's different, it's it, treats it, it fix it. It's not a band aid, and the results are amazing. Like I said, I'm a client and I'm here to spread the word and please we can help. So take that plunge, give us a call. We'll give half off the treatment cost right now for those people who call today, as we're here to help as many men as possible.
Speaker 1: In addition, Ken you guys can offer testosterone replacement therapy, which I've utilized for a year with unbelievable results. Doctor Peterson has this great line. She says, you don't know how bad you're feeling until you actually start to feel better, and she just spot on. So testosterone therapy, vitality peptides. I've been using those for about three or four months. They've also made a big difference just in my skin and I feel better. I don't know how to put it. I just have much more energy and I don't have that brain fog. How can you help our listeners with vitality peptides and testosterone therapy.
Speaker 5: A couple ways. First of all, with the testosterone we're going to do for those who call in today, we're going to do free labs. We have to do labs to check out see where your testos on levels are at in the first place, so we know the dosage through to prescribe. Secondly, if you do call in today, those labs are free and all so adjacent to our stem cell therapy. If you sign up for that, we'll give you ninety days free tasostroone treatment and that's another nine hundred dollars value.
Speaker 1: Geez, I wish I signed up today, but I have a hugelized it a year ago. All right, all right, there you go. Guys. Here's the number that I didn't know they were doing that today. That's actually a steal, So call them immediately at three eight five four five eight nine two zero three. That's three eight five four five eight nine two zero three.
Speaker 16: If you like beer and hockey, then you'll love the new release from Epic Brewing Company Utah Hipcheck Ice Lagger. This delicious seven point five Imperial Logger is now available in sixteen ounce cans at Epic Brewing and Utah State Liquor Stores. Beer and hockey two good things that go great together. Come celebrate the new Utah Hockey Club and pick up cold, full strength beers, including Utah hipcheck Icelagger at Epic Brewing, located at eight twenty five South State.
Speaker 1: All Right, we got Scott Mitch rolling by in about thirty minutes from right now, former Utah quarterback for all the latest on Utah football, as it is game week once again for the Utes after a bye, b Yu after a bye as well. But it's an historic week in our community for a couple of reasons. We have pro golf back in town down South and Saint George, but we have the NHL making its debut tomorrow night in Salt Lake. I'm still laughing and shaking my head every time I say that as a child in the Northeast. And our next guest from Epic Brewing, we got Ryan and we have Gus. Gentlemen, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Doing pretty well? How are you doing today, good man?
Speaker 1: Appreciate you coming in a studio so Gus, I understand that it's not surprising you look like a hockey player.
Speaker 14: Heke you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll take that as a compliment.
Speaker 1: It is a compliment your stouts. Let me guess you're not a defenceman.
Speaker 2: Right, no, no, guess by the height.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I didn't want to say it out loud, but you're not tall enough to be a defenceman right attacking player? You winger? Yep, exactly, that knew it. Who's your favorite hockey team?
Speaker 14: Ooh?
Speaker 2: I mean now, it's got to be Utah Hockey clab. It's gotta be hands down but grown up. It was tough.
Speaker 17: I kind of bounced around from team to team, didn't really have a team to align with until just a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: So I'm stoked.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to think, does Bountiful High have a hockey team?
Speaker 2: They do?
Speaker 17: I actually when I grew up in Bountiful, I played for Viewmont because they didn't have a ah.
Speaker 1: They hated the Viewmont's like Bountiful's rival. Isn't there some woods Cross these days? I can never keep up.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 17: I think when I was at Viewmont it was Davis more than Bountiful or woods Cross.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, I kind of bounced.
Speaker 1: Okay, right on, good old Davis County people. Love my Davis County people. Okay, Ryan, let's dig in here. Hockey is here now, and you guys at Epic are obviously prepared want to remind folks, let folks know coming up tomorrow, I'm gonna be on remote at Epic. It's right on State Street. It's eight twenty five South State. Check out their website which is Epic Brewing dot com. But if you like beer and hockey, and it seems like a lot of people like beer like hockey, and I can tell you most people will like hockey like beer, Yeah, tell us about this new hip Check Ice Imperial Lagger. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is a brand new beer from Epic.
Speaker 18: It really it was Gus's brain shot when we found out the hockey team was coming here.
Speaker 2: Gus is like, we got to do a hockey beer.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 18: And one of the owners of Epic, also Peter, he still plays hockey. He's grew up playing hockey. He's still in like an old man like hockey league. So it really fits with Epic. But yeah, we've got a new beer. It's called Hipcheck Ice Imperial Lagger. It's a seven and a half percent Crystal Clear light lagger beer. You can definitely catch a buzz off of it. Great beer a pregame with. It's pretty simple. It's not a really really crafty beer. It's light it's easy drinking, it's crisp, it's a good one to drink cold. And I don't shure we open one up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crack it open. And also seven and a half percent is enough that you know what you're doing, but it's not too much where you're gonna be, you know, feeling it a little bit the next day. So you landed on a good percentage. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 18: I'd say it's a pretty good number, but yeah, you can definitely it's a little bit stronger than your sure.
Speaker 1: So so, Gus, what was the process like creating this new beer as far as the tie with hockey? Like what tell tell me the origin story, how you came up with the idea.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, actually, I was probably listening to you when I heard the news that we were getting the hockey team officially.
Speaker 2: And we do a meeting every week.
Speaker 17: We've got all spectrums of the brewery in their sales, brewers, sellerman, front house, back house, everybody's in there. And I said, hey, you guys, look look at the news. Look what's happening in Salt Lake. Let's do something to celebrate this. So yeah, from there, our head brewer took took the reins and decided that he wanted to roll with a lagger, something nice and easy drinking to go well with a with hockey.
Speaker 1: So, honestly, I'm completely unfamiliar with the process. I've got a couple of buddies that are like amateurs, right, they get the home thing, they do the home brewery situation. Never really that good, but they try, they try hard. Right, what's the process start to finish? Like, take us through. What's it like to create a craft beer like this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, clue, you probably no better than I.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know, Gus and I were both on the sales side of things, but really, I mean, first you come up with the concept, you know, like what kind of beer do you want? And for this, we wanted a beer there was a little bit stout, a little bit, but a little bit on the lighter side also, and I mean.
Speaker 2: If you take a look at it, it's it's crystal clear.
Speaker 18: It actually is probably one of like the lightest looking, like clearest we have, and it's yeah, it's definitely a true logger. And we wanted a beer that we thought maybe like old school hockey players would like to drink, okay, And we came up with this where it's a little bit stout, it's super light. You know, it drinks like a beer drinkers beer. I just kind of beer flavored beer, you know, Like, what do you think beer tastes?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 18: Like it's this and we're really excited about it. I actually haven't really had a chance to like bring home a couple of cans of beer and really like snuggle up and dive into it.
Speaker 2: I think tomorrow night I'll probably be that.
Speaker 14: Well.
Speaker 1: It's always interesting to me because it seems like and you guys are the experts, so I'm going to make an observation. You tell me if I'm wrong. It seems like there's this race to make the best IPA or the best like triple ipa, and sometimes it tastes like dish soap or like treat bark right, so.
Speaker 18: Maybe more so your homebrewer friends, I feel like stuff a little.
Speaker 1: Is that kind of the scene right now? It feels like IPAs have taken over the past five or six years. They've really kind of.
Speaker 18: Oh yeah, you know, IPAs have taken over. There's kind of an evolution. I feel like to drinking beer. Though you start drinking beer, I don't know when you're younger, you drink really light beers. You kind of like graduate to drinking IPAs and dark stouts and things like that, and then as you like really mature into beer drinking, you kind of fall back to these light logger beers. There's a lot of nuances to them, and yeah, they're really tasty drink. I find myself drinking a lot more light beer these days, as long as you.
Speaker 1: Don't go back to going to seven getting the twenty four pack of like Natty Ice. Yeah, you don't really go back there.
Speaker 18: No, you fall back to like the fans here, like the nighter, like you know, classic like logger beers.
Speaker 1: Let me follow up with you, Ryan, because I mentioned this earlier. You guys have always from my vantage point, it's always It's always seemed to me you're at the forefront, right You're the first to figure out how to offer beer on Sunday. You're the first offer you know, an ipa of this. It seems like you guys have been kind of pioneers in our Now there are a lot of breweries that have popped up, but I was mentioning to you off air, you guys were like the one spot to go to on Sundays before other spots opened up. What's it about Epic that seems to be on the forefront of beer creation in our market.
Speaker 2: I mean that's kind of what Epic Hell Epic started.
Speaker 18: I mean, we wanted to be creative, we wanted to make beers you couldn't get in Utah. It's hard to remember, but ten fifteen years ago, I mean, there were some good breweries here you went to as your wassatch was here, but really as far as like craft beer came, was like, there wasn't a lot. And Epic came out and started making like really really creative beers, and then the breweries around here, I feel like, kind of up their game. And now there's like all sorts of breweries around here that are making great stuff. But we try to be cutting as you know, we're always trying to be on top of it and trying to be like ahead of the game a little bit and just trying to be creative.
Speaker 2: And it's it's fun and it.
Speaker 1: Does feel like I was in Denver last year and I always do the thing that we all do, like compare Salt Lake to Portland or Denver like cities in our region and Denver has a real thriving you know, that downtown area where there are breweries like next to each other, stacked on top of each other for like four or five blocks. Maybe we'll get there at some point. But how have you seen this scene kind of grow since you got involved in our marketplace? It's much different, isn't it?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh it's amazing. How good, Like there's so many good breweries around here.
Speaker 18: I mean, shot, got how many brewers you think there are within walking distance of like where we are now?
Speaker 2: Like eight?
Speaker 17: Yeah, there's there's probably at least eight, and I think there's two or three more if you include siders coming up as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 1: It seems like there's a bunch down where like west, like little West, there's like a little.
Speaker 18: Kind of southwest Salt Lake City. Yeah, there's breweries all over the place. It's great. I mean bike tours, walking tours, like you can hit a ton of breweries. It's almost better than Denver for what it is, you know, because they're they're consolidated into a into a smaller place. Yeah, I don't know. We like Salt Lake City better than Denver. You know, it's easy, sure, sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's why. So Gus is Colorado? Is that going to be our rival? The Avalanche? That is the hockey club rival going to be the Avalanche?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the go to rival. Yeah, that only makes sense.
Speaker 18: They're really good this year though, right, they're always good as of late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. All right, Ryan, tell me about you brought a couple of other Definitely check out Epic Brewing dot com. If you like beer in hockey, you're gonna love the new release. It's called Utah Hipcheck Ice Lagger. It's a seven point five percent Imperial lagger. But it doesn't taste like a seven point five percent. That's the other thing. Sometimes when the content's a little high. Yeah, take a sip and it's biting you right away. It doesn't taste like it's a seven point five percent. Yeah. Is that fair?
Speaker 18: Super fair? This thing's real easy drinking, And that was kind of the point. We wanted something easy drink in there. Maybe you could catch a buzz off of it if you wanted to.
Speaker 1: So the address is eight twenty five South State Street. I'm gonna be down there tomorrow from two to six. Come hang out. Prior to the hockey game. I'm going down to the hockey game after my remote, so come hang out, have a beer, and pick up a free hockey puck.
Speaker 18: Ryan tell us about it. Yeah, we've got some epic branded hockey pucks. We're given away to anybody that stops by and comes in to hang out. Actually Wall supplies last. We don't have a ton of them, but.
Speaker 1: Then they're cool. They got the epic logo and you know it is a hockey puck. So before I say you lose, tell me about these other other beers you brought in.
Speaker 18: Yeah, we brought a couple of seasonal beers down. We have our Munich Mayhem october Fest beer. So it's not anything to see the label here, but it's kind of got like a German like punk rock theme. Very nice, super fun beer for the fall time. It's a logger beer. It's a little bit different from the hip check where it's a amber colored lagger, so it's got a little little bit more malt flavor to it.
Speaker 2: And then Gus, we talk about the other beer we brought down.
Speaker 17: Yeah, chair sure, Yeah, we brought our Imperial Pumpkin Porter as well. It's definitely porter first with the pumpkin and spice flavor coming in second. So it's not going to be like your Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. It's gonna be much more subtle. The pumpkin really compliments the porter base.
Speaker 1: Very nice, very nice. All right, gentlemen, Well, thanks for coming in and I will see you both tomorrow to remode. Okay, all right, my guys Russ, Ryan and Gus excuse me for effort brewing. I'm gonna be down there tomorrow night, tomorrow afternoon before the hockey game at night. It's eight twenty five South State Street. Website is Epic Brewing dot com. It's a brand new beer. It's the Utah Hipcheck Ice Lagger. It's a seven point five percent Imperial Logger. Saints Chiefs tonight at six o'clock Mountain Time from Arrowhead. Get hear that game on our radio station right after we say good night at six o'clock. You'll hear from Coach Wit in the five o'clock hour if you missus. Media availability, all the latest on Isaac Wilson, under center, Cameron Rising, his health. But it's time now to bring in former Utah quarterback, former NFL quarterback. Always a pleasure to catch up with Scott Mitchell. Scott, Happy Monday, sir. How are we doing.
Speaker 14: I'm doing wonderful. I felt like last weekends college football was Oprah Winfrey giving the top fifteen teams losses. You get a loss, and you get a loss, and you get a loss. It was like everyone who is important, including Alabama, loss this weekend. It's crazy weekend in college football.
Speaker 1: Yes, certainly, and it feels like Scott, let's start with this from a macro standpoint, if we can look at this as good news for Utah fans, there will be multiple teams in the CFP that have multiple losses and not just one and two, maybe even three and four. With the way this stuff is going. Would you agree with that statement as of now?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean it's weird because most of the conferences have, like, you know, sixteen teams, fourteen sixteen teams, and so they're not necessarily all playing each other. Maybe these teams are playing harder teams now because they know, hey, I can have a couple of losses and still make get in the college playoffs. Maybe it's nil. Maybe the talent is just spreading around the country and there's more parody. I mean I'm sure there's a lot of factors that go into this because you don't really feel like, Okay, there's just one team. You know, maybe it's Texas, maybe it's Ohio State that are the best teams in the country, but beyond that, you know, it certainly is pretty wide open, which should give you a hope. You get in the playoffs and you go, look, we don't have to beat this team every week, but we can beat them one week. And everyone's kind of proven that that they can at least lose at one time, and that that's that's kind of exciting. It's something that will be fun to watch it and it can be very competitive. But as far as it relates to Utah, man, you got you gotta you gotta be a little bit relieved. You got to feel like, okay, hey we you know, we kind of screwed it up in our game against Arizona. But look at Alabama, I look at some of these other schools and and the reality is is it's it's it can happen to anyone, and it really can. I mean, I've seen this at all levels and all teams. They just have at tonight when it's just not their night.
Speaker 1: So game week for the Utes, Friday night, it's a late kick fan duel has Utah's a six point five point favorite, even though they're on the road. The line opened up Utah minus five, and it's gone the way of the Utes a couple of different times. Let's start with this, though, Scott. Over the weekend, I talked to somebody up on campus and Coach wait just alluded to this in his media this morning. This is not set in stone, but I'm told that there is a field that if Cameron can't go on Friday and it's Isaac again, that they're getting close to just giving Isaac that job. Give me your take on that, because for me, I still believe for them to win the Big twelve, Cam has to be under center. And it's not Isaac's fall these eighteen he's a freshman, just enrolled in school. But Friday night, you're calling the game, and if the first team OH runs out and it's Isaac Hunter center center and not Cam, do you feel like we're inching closer and closer to the day where Coach Waiting coach a lot and those guys just need to give Isaac the job and just roll with the young kid.
Speaker 14: Well, if that's the case, then this injury is much more significant than we think, and it hasn't appeared like it it is. Watching Cam he looked terrible warming up against Oklahoma State and looked better against Arizona. I would be really surprised if he doesn't play on Friday. He clearly, from experience, from ability, you know, gives Utah the best chance to win, you know, if he's healthy. But if it is Isaac and if they do start going that direction, it's one of those you know, it's like, no matter what with a young quarterback, you're just gonna get good and bad. Like so last week against Arizona, the bad part was the team is is not. It's kind of like in a far and a veteran quarterback will kind of rally the troops and Cam Rising would rally the troops, and Cam Rising would say, Okay, we've got to go win this game in the second half or win this game. And there were plenty of opportunities in the second half for that to happen, and it just didn't. It's just it's like the young quarterback team just kind of accepted its fate and they just they just weren't able to get anything going. And that's just youth and that's inexperienced. And that game against Arizona is the perfect example of when you need a Cam Rising. So you're going to go through more of those times. You know, if Isaac does play, hopefully you'll see that, Okay, go win a football game mindset from him moving forward when they really need it, because the quarterback is the is the biggest difference maker in college football. And that's that's what Cam Rising was. I mean, there were so many times he made incredible plays and it was just Cam Rising making plays through the years when Utah won back twelve championships and it was him going out and winning football games. And and that's a guy who's a leader, who's confident, who is mature, who's who's ready to do that. You know, freshman right out of high school, that maturity level just isn't quite quite there. So you're if you go with Isaac, you're just going to have ups and downs and and hopefully you just see progress. And if you see a lot of progress and you go, that's really exciting because you get you take your lumps for a year with Isaac, but then you have three you know, two or three years, however long he stays in school, whatever he does, then you have a lot of time with him. Where where you're going to have that mature quarterback, you're going to have that difference maker, and that's huge. It's huge to a team and it's hard to kind of go through those pains as a team with a young quarterback, but it can pay dividends down the road.
Speaker 1: At what point, Scott, in your opinion, to somebody who played the position, and you know, put yourself, I suppose in the shoes of both Cam and Isaac, at what point do you think the right time is to just give Isaac the job? Is it Friday? If Cam's not ready, do you still wait? I mean, part of me believes that whenever Cam's ready, he's got to be back on her center, even if that's not for another three or four weeks. Then the other side of me believes that Isaac probably if he's going to be the guy needs the reps with the ones period and if it's going to be his job, then let's just move on with it. What's your opinion on that?
Speaker 14: Oh man, it's a hard you know, there's an argument that you know, you don't lose your job because of an injury. There's some coaches. Bill Belichick just went away from Drew Bledsoe, who was a phenomenal quarterback. I mean, he was one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL when he was benched for Tom Brady, who was kind of a seventh round nobody. And for a lot of time, I think a lot of people go, Okay, well, Drew Brett so when he comes back, is going to be the guy, and it just never happened. And I think so much of it is a coach just making a decision on who's the guy that gives us the very best chance to win historic Earl Morale comes in for Bob Greasy and you know, leads the Dolphins to a perfect regular season and then gets benched in the playoffs, and Greasy wins the Super Bowl for him. So you know, maybe it is a combination of both of those things. But I'm more like you. I really think you go with the guy with the most experience to give you the best chance to win today, and developing is really for teams that are not very good, right, and this Utah team, as you point out in the beginning, has a shot to go to the playoffs and it's anybody's game there. And I think that's something that really should be the ultimate goal for this Utah team is we got to win today. We got to win now. We've got to put the best players on the field that give us a chance to do that.
Speaker 1: Here comes the most obvious statement in the history of sports talk radio. If you're a quarterback, you need a healthy hand. If you're a kicker, you need a healthy foot. So there it is. But Scott is somebody who played the position. Help us understand the mechanics of why it is so Allen Jane for Cameron to get the zip back with an injury like he has to his hands and his fingers.
Speaker 14: Yeah. See, I've kind of gone the rounds with this. And you know, some guys have shoulder injuries or other injuries and and you know, separations and they're able to play. I had. I had a third degree shoulder separation on my throwing shoulder when I was playing for the Miami Dolphins. And I came back after five weeks and my arm was a rag. But I was like, I don't care. I want to play and help our team. You know, we were one of the top teams in the NFL at the time, and and I had a chance to go be a free agent, so I was highly motivated to play. When you have those injuries, it's just it's it's kind of an individual thing. Like some guys, some guys are really good at tolerating pain, like like there, their pain threshold just really good. And other guys are kind of wooses. And it's just like and and and you can't pay who they are, you know, It's just it's almost a personality thing. It's almost just how we kind of deal with with pain. I know myself, I know a lot of guys played with a lot of pain, and I'm sure that that that's happening here. I don't know that Kim probably this year, will ever get to where his hand is totally free. But to me, those two fingers, your middle finger, your your ring finger. You know, I don't know that they have you know that they're the most important thing that you have. But when you're when you're a highly trained athlete, a football player, at least for me, the slightest variation in something could really throw things off because you're so acutely attuned to your body and you know how it functions, and and you feel so many things, and you know, just a slight variation on your wrist when you release a pass changes its trajectory, you know, and you don't you almost subconsciously do it, you know. So there's just these really fire things that happened that that could easily be thrown off. I would imagine it would affect him, but I would also know that when you get out in a game and you get that adrenaline flowing, it just you kind of throw it all out the window and you just you deal with the pain after the game's over.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, as you know, you can't simulate a game, right And so if if Cameron's cleared, are you expecting some Russ to start? Does he have enough experience under his belt that he should be good to go, or you know, after taking a few weeks, not taking a few weeks, after missing a few weeks via injury. What's a reasonable expectation for Cam should he be under center on Friday night?
Speaker 14: Well, Cam, Cam's game has always been he's mobile. He makes a lot of plays with his legs, and that's that's the biggest thing that's you know, you just don't have. You just don't have game shape. You know, there's there's a thing they just called it. He's in game shape. You may be in physical great condition, but there's a different condition to a game. And the only way you get that is by having games. I mean, that's part of why they have the non conference games, preseason games in the NFL, so that when you hit the regular season, you've had enough game experienced tempo to where okay, I'm ready for it. And it does. It takes. It takes some time when you've been out. I mean he's been out, I don't know almost you know, a season and a half now and that and that's that's hard. I mean, the experience, you know, riding a bicycle, thing that's there, but the physical nuts is not. And and it's an adjustment. It's you can get by a lot on your savvy and your experience and your especially with what I think this team is, because I think there's a lot of good players that just haven't been totally assimilated into things. Because you have a young quarterback and you know, money parks and the tight ends and some of these other wide receivers are just not quite getting the same touches that I think they would if Cam was in there, and you can kind of rely on those guys more than you rely on your legs and as you're kind of getting into game shape. But the leadership, the savvy, I would take that, with the rust and the and the maybe not having game condition just yet.
Speaker 1: So Scott, it's safe to say, and the data says as much that the offense you know, with Isaac has just has it hasn't been good enough. And of course it's not all on him, and it's hard to put any of it on such a young kid who enrolled in April. But one hundred and eleventh in red zone, one hundred and thirteenth and third down conversion? Are these problems alleviated instantly when Can comes back? And attendant to the question is in the meantime, as long as it's Isaac, what can be done to make this offense look a little bit more efficient starting Friday night?
Speaker 14: You know one of the things, well, let's just take the red zone to start with. The red zone is easier to score the further you're out, So maybe from like the twenty to the maybe the twelve, take your shot in the end zone because they still have to cover the field and it's easier to get those throws into the end zone. It's one way and we used to do it all the time in the NFL, and there's certain coverages you can almost predict to be one hundred percent when teams get in the red zone. And so if you get that coverage, you really like it and you take your shot, you know, twenty yard line, two, about the twelve, thirteen then and then like last week where they got to the nine yard line, which is a kiss of death, like first and goal from the nine, it's the longest you can go without getting a first down. Where Utah has done really well in the past, even with Cam Rising, is they've run the football and you've got all these tight ends and all these people, and it's like just this is big boy power football. This is who you are Utah. You know, make a commitment. If you're right there, just run it. Don't try to because it's so hard to throw in those tight situations. And it's it's it's amplified by ten when you're a young, inexperienced quarterback like you just don't know and or if you're going to throw the ball to Caleb Loaner understand how how to utilize where his asset is and that's throw the ball high. But it's not it's not that simple because in a game situation, you've got all the stuff coming at you and and you throw it too soon or throw it in accurately. You've got to really be a little bit patient and let him get position and then throw in the football. And that just takes time, It takes practice, it takes talking to but whatever you do, like be committed to it. It just felt like Utah was kind of, well, we'll try this, we'll try that, we'll try we'll kind of try all these things. And they're just a little bit better when they you know, they like take your shots the end zone, further out, run the ball when you get close, throw the ball up the kick cause it's it's it's a real weapon that they haven't totally utilized with Caleb B. Loooner. And then the third down, third down, believe it or not, that is kind of easy. You got to win on first down. You win on first down, So whatever the defense is giving you, and a lot of Utah is getting kind of this pressure look on early downs. So if you've run the ball, or throw the ball, whatever you do, succeed on first down, because then you make third down short. If you ever get to third down, and then there's a lot more you can do. You can you can throw the ball, you can run the ball. You can run the ball if it's third and short, run the ball again on fourth and short. But it just makes it a lot easier. The percentages go in your favor if you win on first down.
Speaker 1: So, if it is Isaac on Friday, what sort of game plan are we expecting. You've talked a lot during this interview about just stick to your identity and commit one way or the other. Are we going to see Coach Love maybe continue to give Isaac more space? Do you look at what happened against Arizona and reel the playbook back to simplify it, to maybe just run the football more and look like a football team? Who's head coaches Kyle Whittingham. If it is Isaac on Friday, what do you think the offensive schematic attack looks like? Scott?
Speaker 14: So usually in bye weeks you kind of look and you go, who are we? What's our identity? Who? What are we known for? We're tough, We're physical, we're going to run the football, and I would I would anticipate that's what Utah's You know, we've got to stop the run. Arizona State it's a very good run team, So you got to stop the run. You got to run the football, and that that's that's where it's going to focus. And so everything offensively plays off of the run, and that means play action. But if you're going to run the football, you better expect that they're going to bring pressure the run pressure, They're going to put more guys in the tackle box than you have there to block, and so you've got to have answers to that. So you do get that win on first down because teams know if we can stop Utah on first down, we pretty much are going to lock them down and so that first down becomes huge. So bringing in the extra blocker or bringing in more tight ends on early downs play action. There's a lot of throws that Utah has, especially to the tight ends in the short to intermediate area on early downs that have always been a really large component of this team. So I would expect seeing a lot of that. And the other thing I haven't seen a lot of is wide runs. You knows where's de John Stanley or Money Parks on these sply sweeps and these reverses, because there's so much of the run has been straight ahead into the inside, and maybe you'll see a little bit more of that as it goes forward, but everything. If I'm a betting man, which I'm not, but if I was, I'd say that's what Utah probably would do.
Speaker 1: Tell me what you've seen from Isaac when he throws his ironts. Because statistically, one hundred and thirteen FBS quarterbacks have less than seven picks. Isaac is right there when it comes to the national rankings with seven interceptions. It's never on one person or the other. Are you seeing bad decisions? Are you seeing broken routes? Are you seeing a rushed young quarterback?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 1: Scott, from your trained eye do you see when Isaac throws the picks?
Speaker 14: So a lot of it is you predetermined in your head where you're going. You've practices play all week in practice, and you've just always thrown it to this guy and for whatever reason, the defense and you just don't have enough game experience to know, well, they changed the coverage on you. So you've got to see what they've changed and you've got to adjust accordingly. And so a lot of the throws, a lot of the interceptions have been kind of uh, he's predetermined in his head where he's going with the football before the play actually happens. And and that's and and all quarterbacks have done it. I'm guiltiest charged too, h where you have to see the play when when it actually develops. And then the other thing is, you know, you're in high school and you can get away with certain throws and and here at this level, there's there's you just can't. And you're also in an offense. In high school, he throw ball fifty million times. It's like if you throw an interception or two, it doesn't matter because you're gonna throw a whole lot more more touchdown passes than that. And so there's there's been a little bit of a cavalier casual attitude about some of the throws, and a lot of those have been down in the red zone where you're you're just you're not seeing what's really going on, and you're you're you're you're not making the clents row and so it's so much about you have to see the picture as it unfolds. You can't predetermine anything in your head and then you just react off of that picture and that that comes through practice and repetition and experience and time. But a lot of his a lot of his interceptions could be avoided and and and probably will in the future. If they don't, then then he's not your guy because if a guy can't learn from that and grow and develop, then you can't really trust that guy to be on the field and not throw interceptions.
Speaker 1: All right, Scott, before I say you lose, the Arizona narrative leading into the game last Saturday was they wanted to make it a get right game after getting trounced by k State. They had to buy and then they rolled into Rye cycles and they had to get right game. In the Scott Mitchell opinion, a get right game for Utah on Friday night looks like what.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, when you have a bye week, sometimes you go, oh, we don't want to have a bye week because we'reun a roll. In another case like what happened to Utah. Now we need a bye week so we can get back into rhythm. And I'm going to go back to what I said earlier that a get right game for Utah. Stopping the run and running the football and everything else. This has been a Kyle Whittingham staple. I swear he says it to himself every night before he goes to bed and when he wakes up in the morning. We're going to stop the run and we're going to run the football. And that's who he is and that's who this team is. And you go back to those basic things about playing aggressive, keeping it simple, letting guys fly around the field and just react and just go play, come off the ball, and just just kind of knock them in the teeth. That physical play is what Kyle's been really known for, and that, to me is what it will take for this team to kind of get back and get right.
Speaker 1: So are we talking double digit win? Are we talking cover the spread? Are we talking get the hell out of Dodge with a win? What does it look like Friday?
Speaker 14: Well, it's always you know, win. But you've got to be explosive offensively in this league, in college football in general, the rules, the way everything is. If you can't score thirty points in a game, I don't believe Utah's defense is is dominant enough to just hold people down and win those close ones. So you got to you gotta score if you score thirty points. So you can still run the football and score thirty points. It's not five.
Speaker 1: Mike drop from Scott, little dialtne action. It's all good. It's all good. We got to get a break anyway. Appreciate Scott's time. Utah football is back this week. Our pregame coverage on Friday will begin at four thirty, so it'll make our show here on the afternoon a little short. Then Porter will take care of you. Up to Up to Kick with Bill, Scott and Sly live in Tempe, Utaie six point five point favorite as of now, that line's moved a couple of times. Eight thirty is your kick at Mountain America Stadium. Want to tell you about my friends at Prize Picks. Prize Picks is the best place to get real money sports action. With over ten million members and billions of dollars in awarded winnings, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. All you do is pick more or less on at least two players for shot to win up to one hundred times your cash. Run your game all season long on Prize Pick. You can win up to one hundred times your money on Prize Picks with as little as four correct picks. Prize Picks also offers weekly promotions that can lead to big payoffs, like Taco Tuesday. Definitely check it out. It's the best place to win real money this football season. So here's what you do. Go get a little free money that they're offering you as a result of them being a client on the show. Download the Prize Picks up today and use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. Download the Prize Picks up today. Use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. Prize Picks run your game all season long. All right, history, it's in our state. This week, it's a historic week. We get pro hockey. The NHL makes its official debut tomorrow with the Chicago Blackhawks in town and coming up on Thursday, the PGA Tour returns to the state of Utah for the first time in sixty years. Patrick Manning, managing partner Black Desert Championship around the corner. Back on the show, Patrick, Happy Monday. How are we doing.
Speaker 5: Doing great?
Speaker 14: Ben?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well, I'm well, so simple first question, are you guys ready? As I told you a few months back, I had the very very fortunate opportunity to play the track and check out the resort, And as I walked into the makeshift club house you guys had in the trailer, there's a sign that said don't worry, We'll be ready or something like that. So now that it's here, are we ready to roll? Patrick?
Speaker 19: We are rolling. We had the Monday pro am today and I talked to I.
Speaker 20: Don't know thirty forty of the players that that have been out on the course, and I think the most common words out of their.
Speaker 19: Mouth is I had no idea, meaning that the resort is just unbelievably nice. The course is an unbelievable shape.
Speaker 20: I even sent some photos, aerial photos off to the PGA tour and they said they didn't believe they were real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can believe that even if. Yes, someone who's lived in the state for twenty five years, I've never quite seen anything like it. So now we know the field. The field has been released, we were waiting for quite some time to try to figure out who we were going to see down in Saint George for the Black Desert Championship. I wonder if you could take us behind the scenes on the work you guys did to try to attract golfers to come down to Saint George and your reaction now that the field is finalized.
Speaker 20: Well, I mean, I we didn't do a whole lot other than we you know, we had Mike Weir and Zach Blair and Patrick Fishburne and some other guys that were out really telling everybody, hey, this is this is a no joke.
Speaker 14: This is like a.
Speaker 19: World class golf course. And but we didn't do a whole lot more. The folk we wanted to accomplish in this first year is going to get a great field, which we have, but then really just show the world how beautiful this area is, how fantastic the course is, what a game change of a resort, Black Desert Resort is. And then like I'm going, Tim West is like the player whisperer, and he was out there today and he just said, Patrick, this is this is the nicest place I've seen, Like it is the best.
Speaker 20: He's like, these guys are talking in you know, I was talking to him yet last night and player dining and he's like, they're all whispering, Like we had no idea this was gonna So that's all we want to accomplish is how these guys have a great time, treat him, treat him really well, and then in year two, let they're like pack in a great field. This year we're gonna have We're gonna have a great time.
Speaker 19: We have a great field. We're just gonna build upon it.
Speaker 1: I wonder I know a lot of people up here, and every time I would talk about it on the show, get a lot of messages like, is there any chance Tony's gonna play? Can well Tony fen out play? He's not in the field, Patrick, Can you shed some light on any potential conversations that took place. Where was there a chance that we were gonna see Tony this week? Down there?
Speaker 19: There was a chance he was trying to work some things I've been really I gotta I gotta take my hat off to him. In the end, he had promised Drace, his son, who's going to be playing in his first national tournament. The same week as our tournament, and he's capping. He's the captain, and so he's just like Patrick, I can move all the other things, but I just can't tell my son, never mind, I'm not going to captain your first your first national tournament.
Speaker 1: Well, that's entirely understandable, and as you know, that's completely on brand for who Tony is, right, absolutely, yeah, all right, So a really cool story. And you know, a couple of our local TV stations went down to interview jay Don Blake, and I can't imagine Patrick, what it must be like for a Saint George boy to start his five hundredth PGA Tour tournaments in his own backyard. I mean, he was crying when he received the news he was getting the sponsor exemption. Talk about this dynamic, pretty cool story down South.
Speaker 19: Yeah, this is the type of stuff you can't even make it up. Like you said, he grew up as a little boy here playing in the parks because he couldn't afford the golf course, and his mom drove him around to tournaments eventually, and they slept in their car and got cleaned up in gas stations, and you know, as you know, he became an incredible golfer and four hundred and ninety nine tour starts is just an amazing accomplishment. But he tried for ten years at Monday qualifiers. He tried every he wrote letters asking for exemptions, and he just couldn't get his five hundred and he had given up. And us bringing the Black Desert Championship to Southern Utah right in his backyard, literally only a couple of miles from where he grew up, that was just too good of a story to pass up. So I surprised him with a sponsor's exemption for him to get his five hundred. He's gonna start that just here in a couple of days on.
Speaker 1: Whole One, Patrick, I have the forecast pulled up for this week, and just so you know a little breaking news, it's gonna be warm. It is going to be very hot down there. Yeah, I wonder what sure? Sure? And you know, like ultimately we're gonna blink and there's gonna be snow up here and it's not gonna be as warm down there. That's the deal. But are there any unique challenges that the heat brings for you guys this week as you're putting on this tournament.
Speaker 19: Uh no, not really.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 20: We're unfortunately having to overwater a little bit early on, so the greens have gotten they slowed up a little bit, but we're gonna turn the water off and firm them up. And it was just a little bit more, a little bit more work, but no big deal.
Speaker 1: So enlighten me on because we've been talking about this a little bit. Do you have a five year commitment from the tour?
Speaker 14: What?
Speaker 1: Obviously it's great to have it this year, but it's not going anywhere for a while. Is that correct?
Speaker 5: That's correct?
Speaker 19: Yeah, we we intend. When I say we, I'll stand the PJ Tour intend to do this like for decades. However, we have to have a contract term. The contract term to begin with four years. They were willing to go seven to start with. It's kind of a long story. We didn't want they didn't want to change title sponsors during a contract term, and we didn't want to commit to being the title sponsor for seven years. So we said, okay, let's do a four year contract and revisit because you know, it's expensive to throw these things on and walking away from title sponsors means we're putting in a whole bunch of millions to put to pull this off every ear.
Speaker 1: So what have you learned throughout this process? You know? So moving forward over the next three years, I'm not going to say you can do it better because I don't know how you're going to do it. We're going to find out this week. But you know, the first time you do anything, it's hard. First time I sat in front of a microphone. I'm sure I was horrible at this. Some people probably tell you I'm still bad at it. But the first time you do something, it's not easy. This is your first experience. What are some of the lessons you guys have learned?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 19: I got to say we are really fortunate. We have an amazing tournament director, John Coolbaugh. We have an amazing set of consultants that run every year for the last ten twelve years the Farmer's Insurance Open at Tory Pines. Their whole team is here, and we have a lot of supportive people who have been doing this for years and years at the highest level.
Speaker 20: And so I feel like we're pretty dialed in year one. I think the PJ Tour said this is looking like a year three tournament. In year one, so good job, and so I think everything's pretty smooth, but we're gonna find out there might be a few hiccups. And I can probably answer that question better post mortem than I can before the tournament gets going.
Speaker 1: For sure. I don't suppose you'd be so bold this to give me your pick to win the thing, will you?
Speaker 14: I don't mind doing that.
Speaker 19: I'll roll out Patrick Fishburn.
Speaker 1: Ah, Patrick Fishburn, very nice, very nice. Well, Hey, I appreciate the time. Anything else you want our listeners to know, Patrick before I set you loose.
Speaker 20: Oh one more story I think a juxtaposition to Jayden Blake getting his five hundreds. We have Key Akina that's in the field as a sponsor exemption, and I.
Speaker 1: Love this story.
Speaker 19: He's eighteen years old at Lone Peak High School. He's a number seventh ranked junior in the world. And I was sitting with he and his dad Alan over lunch and I said, I said, Key, how many PGA tournaments have you been to? And his dad then and said, he has been begging me to take him to a PGA tournament since he was five years old, and I pulled him every single year at KYA. The first time you go to a PGA tournament. You'll be playing in it? Oh wow, is eighteen years old, never even been to a PGA tournament.
Speaker 1: Oh that rules. That rules well obviously for me as somebody who's really learned to love this game. I'm thrilled for you guys and appreciate the efforts to bring PGA Tour golf back to the state. Wish I could be down there. My day job calls. Maybe one day I'll have more control over my time, but I appreciate your time. Patrick, good luck this week.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, Patrick Manning and the managing partner. As the Black Desert Championship descends upon Saint George. The Black Desert Resort starts on Thursday, rolls through Sunday, marks the return of the PGA Tour to Utah for the first time in more than sixty years. Tickets are available at Black Desert Events dot Com. You can also follow them on Instagram at Black Desert Championship is where you find them. Dissidents, Right, I get it right, there we go. See, I'm a man in my mid forties, you're almost obligated. Well, a white guy in his mid forties, you're almost obligated to know about Pearl Jam, whether you like it or not. Great band, seeing him in concert multiple times. Favorite band of Quinn Snyder. Little known trivia for you if you ever are at the bar doing trivia and the question is what is Quinn Snyder's favorite band? Or who is Quinn Snyder's favorite band or whom? What's the right way to say that? Who? Who? What?
Speaker 3: I want to say whom, but I don't know if it's correct because it's the it's a band.
Speaker 2: It's not like a.
Speaker 1: Single either way. You get the Larry Christovac too, Larry Kuskovac, great basketball, Larry Quinn.
Speaker 14: Me.
Speaker 2: Who else is a Pearl Jam?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Great basketball minds and enjoy Pearl Jam. Yeah, it was a tree over there, Like you can walk into the jazz practice facility there were jamming. Look, Quinn is from outside of Seattle.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's the Larry connection as well. I believe he knows one of those guys like really well, it grew up with him from childhood.
Speaker 2: So there's the connection.
Speaker 1: Well, the only thing you need to know is my fantasy football team is about to go in five. Yeah, it's bad. It's a bad scene and I'm like, I built a dynasty. I usually win the league or finished top three, and I might not make the playoffs this year.
Speaker 2: Every empire falls at one point.
Speaker 1: But well said, this is kind of like the Pats falling. I've been, you know, the Belichick Brady Pats in this league. Right now, I'm the Jets.
Speaker 2: It's bad speaking of the Jets.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, we don't need to do anything about the Jets today. No, what do you want us to? Go ahead? Your Cowboys got a lucky win, so go ahead and say something about that.
Speaker 2: I think the Jets start Tyrod.
Speaker 1: I like Tyrod Taylor. I always have and I'm not a fan of throw a Rogan. He's done, it's over.
Speaker 3: I know I'm being somewhat facetious there. You don't turn away from Rogers right now, but yeah, I've I've been very consistent on the fact that you're turning towards a.
Speaker 2: Forty year old who he's forty. I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 1: My team.
Speaker 2: That's enough.
Speaker 1: Pooka and Nakua Toua Tongua Baila for she Rice, Joe Mixon. I could keep going.
Speaker 3: You built a team that should have been fairly good, but that's how football happens, as we saw last year with the youths.
Speaker 1: My first overall pick number Nobody gives a rip about this, but it's making me sad and this is a safe space, so I have to let it go. My first pick was Tyreek Hill. I wanted the compound to a Tyreek relationship to it goes down. Tyreek has been horrible, Pook has hurt, Nixon's missed a couple of weeks. I started tray sermon this week and I believe cam Akers and they both scored touchdowns, because that's you know, when you like we were talking earlier coach with Yankee Fan, great football mind me, same thing. So I know how to maximize the waiver wire. But as a result of drafting players that didn't want to stay healthy, I am screwed.
Speaker 3: And what's the percentage you think on starting zero to five and then getting to the postseason?
Speaker 1: Not high, it's low, It's very low. I don't have the data in front of me. Maybe we'll get our PFF guys on it, but I'm I'm in serious trouble. And missing the playoffs makes you really sad when everyone else is, you know, in the playoffs going back and forth.
Speaker 2: Especially the NFL, like half the league makes the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Now I don't. You don't have to rub it in, but yes, we have a ten team league and eight teams make the playoffs. And I may be out. I may be one of the two teams that doesn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: You may sneak in at that point. I don't know if your roster holds up at the end.
Speaker 1: We shall see, we shall see, right, Monday Night Football comes away coming up next, should be a good one. Kansas City's a five point favorite over New Orleans in the in arrowhead, so she'd be a good one. You have playoff baseball tonight. Me and coach Witt will be chairing for our Yankees. Texting back and forth about ASU film. It's not a big deal. It's my Monday Night Porter. What comes our way? On a Tuesday show.
Speaker 3: On a Tuesday edition of the program, Pablo mastro any coming off of a weekend where oursel did get a few points. Spencer Hall stops by the program, of course, talking some college football with him. We'll give you our big twelve power poll. John Wright, of course, talking some PGA tour. We're gonna have a golf guest almost every day, maybe every day this week, depending on how it fills out. And then of course Dave Fox joins us on a Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Two pelotons too. I means I will be down at the Delta Center tonight for the Utah Hockey Club Chicago Blackhawks game. We are going to do five questions with Spence from the arena. So excited for that. Come join me at Epic tomorrow on State Street for our remote and then have a couple of beverages. If that's not your thing, grab some food, come hang out, then walk over to the game with us. We're going to go see history in Salt Lake City tomorrow night. That'll do it special. Thank you today too, you so Vallamachi as well as Scott Mitchell and Patrick Manning, our good friends from Epic Brewing. Little Coach with media availability for you to sound you may miss from the show. Go to the website. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app. It's the ESPN app, and that's a ESPN seven hundred app. You probably already have the ESPN app if you're a sports fan, but check out the ESPN seven hundred app, which is free in the Google Play Store or the Apple Apple Store as well, so check it out wherever you get your apps. And then finally for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, check out our podcast page. It's called the Driveway Spence check it's that's available wherever you get your pods. In twenty twenty four, we're there. Subscribe, review, say nice things, give us all the stars. It helps E Sporter. I'm Spence saying Tonight Monday Night football comes your way. Coming up next. We'll talk to you tomorrow right here on ESPN seven hundred