Speaker 1: I'm already m M.
Speaker 2: Should we open this episode in German?
Speaker 1: Do you know any German? Vos knoxtew and dynam fright site. I don't know that one. Yeah, what do you do in your free time? What do you know in German? Uh?
Speaker 2: Bit a bit of vases taleta.
Speaker 1: Where's the toilet? Yeah? Please please? Where's the toilet? Yeah? That's it. That's all I know.
Speaker 2: I actually and eins by Dry I know that too.
Speaker 1: That's funny to those of you listening to the podcast right now, that's bulky. I'm ben. You didn't know I took German for five years in high school. I did not know. I actually can speak at these not like fluidly. I haven't been in high school in twenty years.
Speaker 2: Hold on, you had five years of German in high school?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How did you have five years of high school? So you started your first year of language was in eighth grade, so you you got a little bit of a dabbling in seventh grade. And then the girl I had a crush on shows German in seventh grade, so I picked German red flag and then and then now now here we are, now I can I can ask you what you do in your free time or yeah voiss bleischiff spitzer, which is where is the pencil sharpener? Wow?
Speaker 2: You know I did three years of Spanish in high school and I've forgotten most of it. Yeah, I just we had to because I went to a parochial school and you had to take a language and your three choices were Prochioal Lutheran parochial school. Your choices were German, Spanish or Latin. And I was like, well, nobody speaks Latin. The guys who are going to become pastors and the guys and girls who are going to become teachers. Maybe they took Latin, especially the guys for past being a pastor, there's a heavy Latin influence.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: You know, as you got up and graduated, I never thought I was going to use German in real life. But I thought, hey, Spanish, I could have some meaningful real world usefulness. So I took Spanish, and you're supposed to take four years. I took three because I didn't like it number one and I decided to quit, not take senior Spanish. Fourth year Spanish, and I took co ed home economic instead, Nice, where I sewed pants and fried donuts. Nice and it was wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were required two years. Let me ask. We had all the same languages, but we also had French as an option. Yeah, we did not have French. I regret. I feel like I'd be much more of a ladies man if I could, like.
Speaker 2: There, there, there, there is more.
Speaker 1: It is a suave language, I agree. I don't know if that's a stereotype for what it is, but German's an ugly language, and I took it harsh, hurtful.
Speaker 2: I mean, like embodying everything about the Nazis that you don't like. I mean not that you like anything about the Nazis, but but I'm not dressers. Yeah, they are snampy dressers that and and dedicated. You know, I'm gonna get in some trouble here if I start, you know what, So we're I wanna I want to Okay, I'm gonna do this right now, Ben, there is a lot we're talking about Nuremberg, Russell Crowe, Romie Malik, James Vanderbilt directing. Also saw John Slattery in this movie Leo Woodhall.
Speaker 1: It's all that's standing out to me right now. Yeah, it sounds about right. Anyway.
Speaker 2: There I saw some reviews for this, and people thought it was too not pro Nazi, because I mean, nobody makes a pro Nazi movie, sure, but too Nazi sympathetic. Did you find that the humanization of Russell Crowe's Hermann Garrig character, which, by the way, this is all based on a novel that came out in twenty thirteen called The Nazi and the Psychiatrist by James Hygen. I can't remember what his name was, but this all happened in real life at the Nuremberg Trials post World War Two, so all these characters were based on real people. And some of the reviews I read said that they felt that this was too sympathetic to the Nazis, to the Nazi plight, to what it was like to be a Nazi, and humanizing it a little bit, which is what you told me after you saw this.
Speaker 1: I called it the thanosification, the thanosification of like, well, listen the heat. They're wrong, yeah, but I get it. Thanos wanted to kill half of existence, but he said it was because we were running out of resource. Right. I'm not saying it was the right approach, but I'm saying you can at least understand the logic I totally get, and especially because neither one of us has skin in the German Jewish game. Here right now, I am not well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do have a heavy German heritage, but I don't identify with.
Speaker 1: German thank you, right, yeah exactly. It's like I was, I'm white.
Speaker 2: But to my knowledge, I've never been a slave owner.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah exactly, And so far be it from me to criticize anybody who maybe has a little bit of Jewish lineage, even like some of the stuff that they saw, but as as a third party observer, as somebody who not to get too philosophical. But I've had this conversation outside the box. I don't believe in the idea of evil. I don't believe that anybody. I don't believe that somebody goes into something thinking they're the bad guy. Ever, I don't think any I believe in greed, I believe in laziness, I believe in self preservation. I believe in a number of all those things evil. I think they're negative motivating factors. But I think I think if Hitler were around today, he'd be like I was trying to save the economy, and I thought this was the like, I don't think he's right. I'm not trying to justify it. I'm saying I don't buy into the eye.
Speaker 2: I think there are some people because that believe they are the bad guy, and they they relish that really yeah one hundred percent. See they're touched in the head. Yeah, you know there there's a chemical imbalanced there. But I do I mean, I think about certain serial killers or serial robbers or you know, just serial criminals, that they do it because they like being bad.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Now that's not true of everybody, but I do believe it's true of some people.
Speaker 1: I would need I would need specific examples. The line I use on my show is the joker's not real. There's there's there's not a real life person who's like I just don't. Yeah, Like like that exists maybe in a in a worldwide scope when you talk about terrorism and people that are coming from countries that have nothing mad about something else totally, but in terms of you watch the the quote unquote crime every single day, or hell, the way we're work as Americans were pitted against each other. We're like, this person thinks this because they're evil, Like, nah, they don't they they they don't. They think deficit spending is bad or something like that.
Speaker 2: But they're okay, but let me okay, what about uh, let's use the Young Republican thing that happened. Yeah, a couple couple of weeks ago, right, Yeah, some pretty vile stuff set on there. Sure, I believe that that a lot of the stuff on there, regardless of your political.
Speaker 1: Affiliation.
Speaker 2: Affiliation, Yeah, it was not humanizing, like I mean, it was totally dehumanizing, which I think is evil.
Speaker 1: But you're saying that there was not saying it's racist. I'm saying it's big.
Speaker 2: Isn't it? But isn't Are both those things evil?
Speaker 1: I be Racism comes from ignorance and fear. That's the whole point of this movie, is, like, I believe it comes from places that aren't necessarily evil. It's not intelligent. I don't condone it. I would hope that you could educate somebody to talk about these kind of things better.
Speaker 2: But at that point, but there's racists out there and people who who know that it's evil to you know, people who relish in killing or people who relish in murdering people just because of a race that they're like, it's fine if you don't like. I mean, it's not fine that you like, but you know what I mean, Like, I understand, like you know, people might have problems with other races or whatever. But I also understand that you can believe that in real life and live that life and still not take pleasure in absolutely unleashing hurt, pain and death onto those people. Yeah, which I think some people do. I'm right there with you, and that is evil, That's what I'm saying. Yeah, I think you are right by and large with nearly yeah, all people, But I do think that there are exceptions.
Speaker 1: There are very distinct exceptions.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm going to say that evil does exist, like it's out there all right, but it's maybe not as prevalent as we think because we all fall in line with our own you know, to your point, we all believe whatever we believe. We believe it because we believe we're right. Nobody believes in something because they believe they're on the wrong side of it. They believe in something because they believe they're on the right side of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, the number of people.
Speaker 2: It's an awfully heavy beginning to this postcast.
Speaker 1: Now I love it. I love because it's it's it's the conversation the movie demands, and I think a lot of people who are negative towards it, who think it was sympathetic, are struggling to grasp it. From this perspective, I think it's it's not.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're struggling to grasp it to find out that, hey, Herman Garring was actually a person who had a family, and he explained why he did what he did in this movie. I think that the conversation is about why did this get made, especially with all the what do you call it? Right now? Anti Semitism sure is making a comeback apparently, And why is this being made in twenty two Why do we have to Why are we seeing the perspective of this person in twenty twenty five with all this Jewish hate going on? Why is this being made? I think that's the problem people have with this, more so than the way Herman Garring was portrayed in this movie.
Speaker 1: I could answer it, but things might get uncomfortable. I think I know why the movie We go ahead. Yeah. I think we are in a very divisive time where a lot a lot of people disagree and view each other as the enemy. Possibly as evil. And I think you take the most extreme version, you take a Nazi, and you humanize that person to the point of like, Okay, this person was responsible for a genocide, this person was responsible for violence of unspeakable amounts, all in the name of nash and making sure that his people are able to continue at the expense of another people. Here in my own world, I get people who message me all the time and say, Ben, I don't agree with the thing you say, but you're providing me with a perspective. It allows me to at least understand why people think I can't believe you get a whole lot of that. You'd be surprised, I'd be.
Speaker 2: I would be shocked if there's that many well adjusted people who can listen to what you say, yeah and still have that reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It still happens to this day, and I think it's the nicest thing that you can hear. But by doing this movie, by doing it now, when I went into it, I was expecting some kind of slop and some kind of metaphor for ice or something like. I was like, Oh, this is going to be divisive, and I came out of it thinking like I can.
Speaker 2: Go into these movies it with such a cynic mind. Yeah, this whole I mean, like you just you walk in with this poisonous film over over your your your, your whole body when you walk in, and like I just go in crisp, clean, naked, like just jealous.
Speaker 1: But this is how you're wife.
Speaker 2: I get it, you know, And and you know, sometimes I wish I went in too, because I'm not when it comes to like world issues, political stuff, you know, social stuff, I'm not as smart and well versed.
Speaker 1: You just don't dive into it.
Speaker 2: I don't dive into it at all matter and and so then so then it's awkward for me when I see something or somebody's talking to me about something that I feel like, God, I should really have a better handle on knowing what this is all about than I actually do. And and sometimes I think that is a better way to view a movie, maybe more so documentaries, but that's that is sometimes a better way to view when we view a movie than just coming in fresh and cold.
Speaker 1: But if you're going to answer the question why make this movie, you have to kind of take the context of today into accounts when when you because otherwise, why why would you release it. Why did Bigonia come out? Now? Why why did it feel? And like? Because it's a conspiracy written world do we live in today? In this one I found myself reminiscent enough. But conspiracy theorists are not Nazis. No, oh no, I didn't mean to imply that. I just mean it's relevant to today's time. It is wrapped both. Yes, I think the Nazis were used in this movie again to highlight, like, you know, maybe a conservative could listen to a liberal and at least gain some perspective, not come away, Agreen. I don't think anybody walked out of this movie being like, you know, maybe the Nazis got a bum wrap like. I don't think this movie went out of its way at any points to try and portray in that way.
Speaker 2: And I will say too, Herman Garring was the story, but you had all these other guys hesse and.
Speaker 1: Laugh. What was his name?
Speaker 2: God, you're always all these other I mean it was twenty two. It was twenty two Nazi officers that were on trial.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Now the focus is on Gearing and then Doug Kelly, the psychiatrist, romy Mallock's character kind of their relationship, but those other ones, Yeah, were not portrayed in a very humanizing, numb sympathy matter. Maybe towards the end we got it with one of them, Julius I can't remember his last name, the guy who ultimately wouldn't put his clothes on. Yeah, and I think that was a little bit more humanizing. But for the most part, those guys came off really not cool. It was they were easy to hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and that's the way it should be. I don't think you want to be accused of doing this the wrong way here, And I found myself reminiscent of I don't know if you saw Frost v. Nixon where they did.
Speaker 2: The That was Frank Langella and I can't remember Michael Sheen was the other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And it's almost just like a conversation that's so captivating you can't look away. And obviously not as extreme, but this kind of gave me very similar vibes to that movie. The entire time that I was watching it, I oftentimes used the barometer of was I scrolling when I was watching the movie? Yeah, And this movie has scroll written all over it, right, it's a conversation. I didn't look away. I was like, oh, this is and again I was caught off guard. I said it on the radio and I'll say it here again for the podcast. I was expecting much more legal drama. Yea. I was expecting the actual.
Speaker 2: Law of the law part of it, which that wasn't I mean, that was a good chunk.
Speaker 1: Of the movies. It was a decent junk, but that definitely not the majority of it. And it's not the focal point either. And there's plenty of movies in literature about that kind of stuff if you want to educate yourself about it. But I did go into it with a very different mindset and I was I don't want to say pleasantly, but I was definitely caught off guard by how I ultimately ended up coming out thinking about this movie. I think that.
Speaker 2: If I had one criticism, and this is a me thing, this is not a maybe other viewers felt it was tough. The Russell Crowe German accent thing. Yeah, I you know, accents in general I don't deal well with, which is again, I think that's a me thing. When he starts speaking German at the in the first scene, I'm like, man, is he speaking German? This whole movie, and you.
Speaker 1: Say you don't deal well with them because you're good at impressions, You're good at changing your line.
Speaker 2: I just feel I feel like I'm paying it well maybe okay, because of that, Like I notice that more so then when I do an impersonation or impression, I pick up on the little.
Speaker 1: Nuances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that make the impression that much better. And so maybe when I see somebody it, you know, in a manner, the way that they talk, or an accent, I start paying attention more into the actual delivery and the way the words are presented rather than the meaning behind the words.
Speaker 1: I should be.
Speaker 2: Paying attention to the content, and I'm paying attention to the accent, you know. And so that's why I say I don't deal well with it, because I think some of it And again I think this is a me thing. And it did get easier as the movie went on, for sure.
Speaker 1: Just to relate to that statement, I listen to a lot of rap, and if people don't edit their breaths the right way, I start hearing the breaths and not the words. So I know exactly what you mean because I start listening for that noise, and all of a sudden I have no idea what's being said anymore, because I'm too busy focusing on that. This didn't happen to me with Russell with this particular instance. But I'm sure if I thought about it long enough, I could probably think of an of an actor or an example of something that was that I'll give you. I'll give you this.
Speaker 2: This guy isn't an actor. But there's one of the fantasy football shows I do. I have a person from the industry come on with me for two hours every Thursday night and we chop it up about fantasy football.
Speaker 1: I have a.
Speaker 2: Rotation for about a year, like I have these guests on once a year. Okay, one of the guests that I have on super smart, brilliant guy right, and I listened to his He does another podcast as well, and I listen to it because it's great content. But he has this thing when when he talks, he'll be like, I'm gonna tell you about this. I'm gonna tell you about this. I'm gonna say why I think about this, and then I'm gonna tell you about this and tell you why I think this like it's it's and and like all I and it's He's so brilliant. He's so smart. But that's all I notice, you know, And I'm not saying Russell Crowe is to that level, yeah, because it wasn't a lot of people I think, for as far as performances go, held Russell Crowe's performance in pretty high regarding this, and I thought it was good. I he must it's tough to play a sympathetic Nazi.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. And I do eventually want to get into a conversation about how many liberties you think were taken in the portrayal of these characters. So we'll get oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah in a second here. But I will say I am always pleasantly surprised. And I've heard he's a jerk. I don't know anything about anything that's done as personal. Do you know he when filming ended. I was talking with this with El Grande, our mutual friend El Grounde yesterday. When filming ended for Nuremberg, Russell Crowe weighed two hundred and seventy seven pounds. I mean, he was pretty big in this movie.
Speaker 2: Seven he lost fifty five pounds down to two twenty two. I saw the side by side. It's pretty impressive. That isant and I heard he gave up the bottle too, which I can't confirm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he also had put on a lot of weight, not for a role though, like I remember, he was one of the biggest women a decade ago. We're like, how's this guy still get roles when he puts on all But like, realistically, he's one of the greatest actors of our generation and you really haven't seen him a lot lately, which which I'm looking up right now. He has a straight to Netflix road rage movie and I'm trying to see what Wow, what the title unhinged where a woman cuts him off in traffic. It's like an actress you've never heard of, and she's in the car with her son. Yeah, and she cuts him off on a day when Russell Crowe caught his wife cheating on him. So he's already having a bad day and he decides, I'm gonna kill this woman and gonna make her life a living hell. Until we get to that point it is, it has no business having an actor that good in that movie. And he is just acting circles around everyone else and you can tell I'm sure it was for paycheck, but he's sure as hell didn't mail it in. Yeah, and he shows up doing this stuff and you have to sit there wondering he's from twenty twenty. It's available on Netflix. That one's where check as well. But it makes you wonder this guy just fell from grace. He went from Maximus Aurelius to.
Speaker 2: Uh John Nash beautiful mind yeah right, yeah, and then after that, well, he was in La Confidential, wasn't He's got.
Speaker 1: A handful of phenomenal roles and he knocked every single one of them out of the park. And I guess he was just so untaught, like he could not be taught, Like he just sucked I guess to work with. And as a person, well.
Speaker 2: I think alcohol played a role into his the way he treated people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. South Park had a whole episode dedicated to that. I'm pretty sure he's got a band.
Speaker 2: I know he's in a band in real life, and we all know bands when they tour, there's stuff that goes on to get your energy up, sure, you know, for so I don't know.
Speaker 1: If he got into that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but this was a vintage performance.
Speaker 1: I thought he knocked it out of the porte.
Speaker 2: I thought, I don't I don't think we're gonna get any Oscar noms for him for this movie. But but I mean it's possible. I just I don't see it happening. I can't imagine Hollywood going out of their way.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's best actor. How about this guy who played the the uh? Well, how did Christolphe Waltz? Do I feel like he did? All right?
Speaker 2: I thought that was more of a comical uh portrayal?
Speaker 1: And you hated that guy? Yeah? He was evil. He was evil, Yeah, evil, very privilege like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, he was so evil that it was hilarious. And it was Tarantino too, which tant I mean like that that everybody's a little bit different in the Tarantino universe.
Speaker 1: This guy was.
Speaker 2: You were supposed to like him, I think if some of the stories that he told, Yeah, absolutely growing up and and you know sort of how he felt. You know, I was researching this too. Did you go hard into the research? Not as much as I wanted to, but so so. Gary was like Hitler's like he was up and comers, in charge of the air force and everything, and then he became Hitler's second in command. Hitler named him as his successor, right and uh uh, second most powerful man in Germany during one of Germany's more powerful times in history. Okay, sure, and then he got word. Obviously I don't know what happened, but somehow he got word that Hitler was going to commit suicide. And he sent a message to Hitler saying, if you're doing this, can I take over the third Reich?
Speaker 1: Can I take you know?
Speaker 2: And and Hitler was so offended that that he would actually have the audacity to ask him that. After he finds out that Hitler's going to commit suicide, he strips him of his title of the Reich Martin or whatever it's called, Reik Marshall, Rag Marshall. He strips some of the title Reich Marshall, basically exiles them from the Nazi Party totally. And he's a man without a country at that point. And that and again, that's what happened in real life. And I don't think they focused on that so much in this Yeah, because ultimately I don't want to reveal anything. Sure, but but this.
Speaker 1: Was a guy.
Speaker 2: You you understand how hate starts, like, hate never starts with a with a.
Speaker 1: Massive crop field. It starts with a seed.
Speaker 2: Yes, and if that seed is allowed to be watered and cared for by individuals, by an environment, it can grow into something really, really bad. And I think and they didn't focus that a whole lot on Doug Kelly, Douglas Kelly, the psychiatrist towards the end, I think, like you found out because in real life, this guy was scared to death of what happened with the nazis happening somewhere in the world again, sure, and I think they brought that up towards the end of the movie anyway.
Speaker 1: But there's people that claim, I don't know how much validity there is to it, but Hitler was a very renowned artist, and there's people that say, but his art was panned when he was a young man. And there are grilla that say, had someone seen his art and been like, good work, he would have gone on to just be a painter somewhere, or an artist. And it stems from that rejection, that lack of being able to achieve what your dream is that begins to fester, as you mentioned, as that little seed, and it begins to boil over into one of the most dangerous movements in human history.
Speaker 2: Teasing school shooters, at A at A at a smaller level. Yes, I mean that hate starts there too. Yeah, And and you know, it's just it's a.
Speaker 1: Very deep movie. That's why I think you need to be going into this with a certain mindset. You probably should expect that given the content. But I think as far as the history, as far as the historical accuracy goes based and again I didn't I didn't fall down the rabbit hole no on this one.
Speaker 2: But it seemed pretty accurate. I mean a lot of the stuff that happened in this movie it seemed like it happened in real life.
Speaker 1: I feel like, like, for sake of argument with Rufe Man, yeah, had you misportrayed or had Channing Tatum show that character being a little more sympathetic, I don't think you'd get a lot of hate for that, even for people to trade him as I'm saying and hypothetical like if you do that, if you go out of your way to portray one of the highest ranking Nazis as like oh well actually, and it's not accurate, Like you go out of your way to create fictional situations to make him more relatable. It's like the inverse of which we don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, some of the stuff that made us make not likable made him more relatable. I don't know if some of that's true. That may have been made up, but.
Speaker 1: I have to believe. I did not read the book, but it's probably mentioned in some kind of way in the book. I think you'd be less likely to take liberties with a story like this when you know there's going to be historians and an entire population of people looking to be like, why are you creating this environment for this person? So I do find myself trusting the way things play out here a little more than I normally do in a based on a true story kind of perspective here. But I have to say from the other side of this dialogue, I never watched Mister Robot. I've never seen any Robney Mollock movies. I never saw The Amateur, I never saw Bhemian Rhapsody. I never saw No Time to Die. I think I saw Need for Speed, but I don't remember anything about it.
Speaker 2: I never saw Need for Speed. I didn't know he was in that Mister Robot. I know that was like where you got to start. Yeah, I never watched one episode all those other movies. Yeah, saw them all. He is brilliant. I love watching him act.
Speaker 1: I am officially part of that camp. Now this was my now's now here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you get into this second. I want to tell you why I like malk and s and now when he hosted SNL, they kind of did this thing about how creepy he is. Sure, I think because I that's part of it. That's the whole thing, because of these big bulging eyes, that weird I used I used to think so. The first thing I saw him in was Bohemian Rhapsody, and I think he had like fake teeth in for to play Freddie Mercury. So he always his mouth was always kind of weird, you know, and I just assumed it was because of that. Now I see him in No Time to Die, I see him in The Amateur. I see him in It's He's got this weird, kind of like resting evil villain face, you know, and sometimes he portrays a good guy, like in the Amateur. I think it's debatable whether he's a good or a bad guy in this movie. We could talk about that certainly, But I just he has this look on his face where I just don't know where he's gonna go next with a line delivery or anything, or the way the way he portrays a character. And I just think it's so fascinating because I can't It's not like I find him attractive, but I can't take my eyes off the screen.
Speaker 1: He just steals.
Speaker 2: He was in there with Russell Crowe, Man, Russell Crowe, we just need all those other stuff that all the other stuff he did, and he was punch for punch man, punch for punch with him.
Speaker 1: I thought he was absolutely phenomenal. You know what. Two names kept coming to mind the entire time I was watching the movie Steve Buscemi, Oh yeah, and the Eyes and the Tape and Christopher Walking because of the delivery of line. Yeah. And it's not a bad list to be included on in my opinion. I went in and I know people like mister Robot, and I know people like this guy as an actor, so I went in. I had preconceived notions about what I was getting into here.
Speaker 2: So this was your first Romney Mallock experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. Yeah, And I he's off putting, but in all the best ways. I might even throw Killian Murphy in there a little bit as well. You're just like, this guy's handsome, but like in a very strange way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see what was the movie with Rachel McAdams and him?
Speaker 1: Oh, Red Eye? I watched that recently for my first time, but I just thought, but him and that movie is just yeah, really quickly not to get just real quick.
Speaker 2: Did he do Man in the High Castle too?
Speaker 1: I believe so? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And that was with like if the Nazis had won.
Speaker 1: The ironically, Yeah, okay, really quickly, just about Red Eye, because I don't know the last time you've seen the trailer for that twenty years ago. Yeah, it's one hundred percent worth looking up the trailer because it's so inventive because the first half is a rom com and it shows the meeting in the airport and it's like bubbling, it's like a will they won't they? And then the trailer turns. I'm like, oh my god, this is because I saw it in theaters, Like why did I choose to see this in theaters? Yeah, it's such a good marketing campaign for that movie. I think.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes SNL will do that where they'll they'll make a fake movie trail and you think it's one thing, it's well, then you have you know, all these people who have way too much time on their hands recutting trailers that like they make the Shining seem like it's this family comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, But so what what's your interpretation? Then? I guess why do you what where's your ambiguity on Malik being a good guy or back clinical approach? Is it this scientific?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Not necessarily that.
Speaker 2: I just think like he's brought in as kind of this cool, smooth guy in the first scene, right, and then that that's how we now that could go either way, right, I think he's put in an unfair position by by the United States Army, right, And so immediately that has you rooting for him a little bit. Okay, sure, and then you know you have him seemingly have these normal conversations with Russell Crowe's character, and then he comes away from it thinking he's smarter than the guy who thinks he's smarter than everybody. That's the other thing with both with Garig and Kelly, they both think they're smarter, that they think they're the smartest guy in the room, right, And so that's a little off putting. Then you're like, I was kind of rooting for this guy. Now I think he's kind of arrogant, you know. And then the whole having these humanizing conversations with Gary, which causes him some problems in his professional life, right, and then we find out he has issues with alcohol. Right, So you go back and forth between this, like, I don't know if I should be rooting for this guy, if I should feel sorry for this guy. Was this a bad guy for sympathizing with the Nazi?
Speaker 1: Ultimately?
Speaker 2: I don't want to say ultimately, but there's times in here where he battles know what to do from a ethical from an ethical standpoint, right, And normally, if you don't like a guy, if we're not supposed to like a guy, there's no ethics involved in that. They're making decisions in their own self interest. And I don't think that was always the case with romy Malik in this movie.
Speaker 1: With Douglas Kelly. So that's why I say, like, I watched this movie two and a half hours, still don't know if I was supposed to be rooting for him or not, do you think? So this is how I and this is what I took from that you tell me, because you know you always give me guff for my interpretation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who are you in this movie?
Speaker 1: By the way? Oh please? I mean he can't say Herman Garrettyah right. I really don't want to be either of them, you know what I mean? But there's no one you want to be. Yeah, there's no one you want to be in this anyway. I think that was intentional. I thought the way they were portraying and was to have you leave that theater thinking had this person been born in Nazi Germany, he would have been doing exactly what gerg like. They wanted to show you the duality of it, much like how they show you in the in the Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Batman. The first thing both of them say when they walk into Val Kilmer's apartment is this is a nice place, lots of space, And they didn't hear the other person saying it, but they both react the exact same way when they see the apartment, to show you they both had shitty moments in their young adult life, you know, and that sends you on two entirely different trajectories. And I think they were trying to create that same nice place lots of space moment with these two. Well, that was how I took it.
Speaker 2: Was one thing I did forget And maybe this seals it. Maybe not. When they were actually showing the I don't know there are propaganda films, but the films of the concentration camps at the Nuremberg trials. You saw how Douglas Kelly reacted to that, And I guess I don't know, should should does that cementum as a good guy?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Maybe not, because I think any human you're seeing that, I mean, even Garret was like, it's like, clearly these were fabricated.
Speaker 1: This is not real.
Speaker 2: You know, you can even back then they were dealing with AI, right, like you can make these, you can age these films and even like and I have no idea if those were the actual films.
Speaker 1: I don't either hear, but man, that was really uncomfortable. They did. Look, I've been to the Holocaust Museum a couple of times and they have the films, and if nothing else, they were very reminiscent of those films. Whether or not they were beat or beat the same ones, I'm not going to be able to comment, but I feel like they were trying to hammer that home quite a bit, because again, no one makes a movie without a purpose. You don't make a movie just to tell a story. You don't make a movie, you know, like even the most baseline that you pick a movie and I can tell you what the director was trying to tell you, and that whether or not they succeed, whether or not that was a good movie, entirely different conversation. But there's always that message everybody, everybody exactly. I've always said that, and it was just as I think it was very apparent.
Speaker 2: Even if they don't know their own agenda, everybody's got an agenda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. What did Frank Reynolds say, You're either the duper or the dupee. I choose to be the duper head. Yeah, And I think there is a lot of that out there, And I they did a good job of keeping you guessing. Like you said, you don't really know who the good guys are who the bad guys, because in life, even when it's as cut and dry as Nazis, you're just like, well, there were some people pigeonholed into a situation they didn't want to be in. There were other people on the on the good side in quotes of the of the equation here that were not necessarily behaving with the best behavior. And yes, this challenges a lot of that, and I think hell, even X Men movies do that. Like you sit there watching Magneto just killing Nazis everywhere, and you're like, I know Magneto is a bad guy, but I definitely understand, Yeah, exactly where he's coming from here.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's I mean, that's true of Like, I don't know when this happened in film, but we we've talked about the rise of the anti hero over the last two and a half decades. I just I just feel like real life sometimes if you make a film that's true to life, that it can be really cool or it can be really boring, right yeah, And I think that when when you understand that everybody has a little bit of good and a little bit of bad in them. And I believe that's true one hundred percent, and you you see how those types of characters are brought to life. Perspective matters a ton in stuff like this. I don't think all Nazis were created equal, at least their portrayal in this film.
Speaker 1: There there was.
Speaker 2: There there were gear I mean, obviously you spent most of the time with Gearing, but some of these other guys just had no redeeming qualities, right, you know, and and Garing at least did. Now maybe these other guys did too as well. Maybe they came up the way they did because of their environment or a product of, you know, stuff that was happening to them when they're I don't know.
Speaker 1: I also, I don't think if it is an accurate portrayal. I also am not caught off guard. You oftentimes put your best communicator towards the top of something like this. So if most people are operating from a perspective of obvious hate, and other people have the ability to elaborate on a message.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any doubt that Garik was the smartest guy. That's I don't think there's any doubt. And and a lot of these guys were loyal to Hitler no matter what, and they knew what was going to happen. I mean, obviously with the cyanide stuff and killing themselves. I mean, they knew that they were not getting out of this. The trial for I mean, by and large, I don't want to say it was fixed, but you can't even if these guys I gotta remember, I got to think how to say.
Speaker 1: This best.
Speaker 2: Fate of the world for the people who were on this tribunal. In many regards, the fate of the world was dependent upon this decision and whether the prosecution brought enough evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt. In this setting, I don't think was relevant. No, because if you let these guys walk away innocent, Yeah, you said a precedent I forgot. I forgot Michael Shannon is in this movie.
Speaker 1: I thought you forgot his name was, Yeah, he played judge.
Speaker 2: I want to say, Robert Jackson, Yeah, Supreme Court justice who ends up being the prosecutor in this trial. And he's talking with Romi Malik's character outside the courtroom, and he said, we made the Germans crawl after World War One. We embarrassed them. We took everything from them where they had nothing. In twenty years, they became one of the most powerful countries on the planet. We cannot afford to let them do this again. And so so you knew, and I would. I'd like to think, now this is more of a real life thing than a movie thing. I'd like to think that the people on that tribunal also shared that knowledge. I don't know if they did or not. Ultimately they made their decision, and we're not spoiling anything. We all know the result of the Nuremberg trials.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: This is not some sort of revisionist history with Quentin Tarantino, like if where we're oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: This is all right, So this is the Nazis.
Speaker 2: The Nazis, they get away with it, right and and and they don't, you know, And it wasn't anything like that. But I do think that that was the motivation for his character, the motivation for John Slattery's character, and for Leo Woodhall's character. How we trist Or is a trist Or Trieste.
Speaker 1: He was the translator.
Speaker 2: I thought he was awesome too. And I don't really know him for I know he was in The Latest White Lotus or whatever, but I thought, and by the way his character's backstory looked it up iron clad, that all that stuff that he talked about.
Speaker 1: Oh all happened. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, try to wrap your head around that. You think of his performance, Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 1: And I listened to you talk, and I think when you juxtapose the story here with the way we know history went. And that's what's interesting because I didn't know the roofman history. I don't know a lot of about it. I don't know that either. Yeah, this I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I also can say I know where the phrase I was just following orders, and I know why that's not a viable defense in court now. And we kind of why, you know.
Speaker 2: When I knew that a few good men, Oh yeah, that's when I read it, like, because we're supposed to fight for people like Willie. Yes, you know, that's when I that's when I realized that you can't just follow orders.
Speaker 1: But you see the effort there that so many of these people went through. I think they did a great performance. And it just highlights the duality of it, because I say this all the time on my show. You never know you're living through history when you're in when you're in the moment, it's only when you're looking back on it that you realized that something historic happened. And this feels like one of those few moments where you knew while it was happening that you were setting a trache for human history that is going to go one of two ways. And we thankfully chose the never again route. And you know, thus far we've been pretty good at keeping that going here. Richard D.
Speaker 2: Grant in the movie as well as the British prosecutor with Michael Shannon at the tribunal as well, he was the guy who continued with the interrogation of Garring after Shannon's character was kind of done. Yeah, he's really good too, and I mean in this movie just as an actor in general, he's really really good.
Speaker 1: This felt like and currently if I'm wrong, but Malick was in Oppenheimer as well, So I did see he was in Oppenheimer, wasn't he He might have been, Okay, I think he was. I'll look it up. But so it wasn't my first fora but this I felt gave. I said it to you on the radio. This did not get the Oppenheimer treatments. This not get the full up. And maybe it's because of the subject material. I do not know.
Speaker 2: This is this is I'm glad you break this up because I was talking with El Grande about this and I brought up your point with the Oppenheimer thing. I was not too well versed in in.
Speaker 1: Who he was.
Speaker 2: He needed it right, But the marketing campaign was massive behind Oppenheimer. And I'll admit a Christopher Nolan movie gets you a little bit more excited than a James Vanderbilt, agreed. Robert Downey Junior Killian Murphy. Oh god, who else was in Oppenheimer?
Speaker 1: Robert Downey Jr. I mentioned Robert.
Speaker 2: I'm saying who else because Murphy was nominated for Best Actor Downey won it. And I think the cast, well, I'm not recalling it right now.
Speaker 1: Lawn yes, Matt Damon.
Speaker 2: Oh, Matt Damon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The problem is Matt. The first couple of times I tried to watch Oppenheimer, it wasn't great for me. And Matt Damon doesn't appear to like seventy five minutes into the movie, and at that point it was kind of almost checked out. So the first Robie Mallick was David Hill, so he wasn't that okay. So the cast with Oppenheimer was massive. It's obviously Christopher Nolan, I think. And Grande said, why do you promote? Why do you push this movie? Because all these these older guys and in these war history buffs, you know they're gonna go see this movie anyway, So why do you promote it? And I said, well, why do you promote Oppenheimer then if that's if that's the case exactly. You know, he thought it was a waste. I don't think it's a waste.
Speaker 1: I think you have to get people excited for this type of of I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it was a waste. It's set records for R rated movie. Really to the point.
Speaker 2: His point was he's of the opinion of what is good. It was gonna do that anyway. Crap, that's what he said. Okay, Now, now, why to tie that to Barbie? That was the only that was the only way to Barbenheimer, right, that was the marketing campaign. I don't know why why uh uh Nuremberg didn't tie itself to freaking Predator or something.
Speaker 1: But you get yourself. You got the PG thirteen fun popcorn flick to mixed with the Okay, now we're gonna jump into the historical.
Speaker 2: You just stumbled on a great movie they need to make not See versus Predator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, I thought you meant we were going to do the humans were holding the predators on trial for them screwing with you mane for so long.
Speaker 2: But we never know when they leave the when they leave the stand, we'd never know, Like so, yeah, well he was here a minute ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying that this I think is going to fade into the annals due to a lack of marketing. I think you and I were paying.
Speaker 2: A good point with marketing because you think the marketing is just all about getting that opening weekend push, but it's really not. It's about legacy and it's about living on past when when it's not even in theaters anymore.
Speaker 1: I didn't see Oppenheimer in theaters or Barbie for that matters.
Speaker 2: I was like, I never saw Barbie.
Speaker 1: I had to because like I saw Oppenheimer, and I'm like, I got like because of the freaking marketing campaign, and I'm like, I'm gonna watch the other one wasn't bad. Oppenheimer is better. Yeah, But I say all that to say I caught him both when they were on streaming services because I was like, oh, notes, I got to make sure I double back and catch this. And I think if it just would have been like here's a movie about the guy that does nukes, and it's just like yeah, yeah, all right, I'll pass. But it was the campaign that got me coming back this one. I felt like I didn't see any trailers to it for it until the Tuesday before the movie came out, and.
Speaker 2: I saw it before that, but it was only it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: Much yea more like and I saw him, like, oh that was It actually got me excited for this podcast because I'm like, oh, I didn't okay, Like it shows him walking through the through the jail there and there's people yelling on both sides, and I'm like, Okay, all right, this is actually gonna I'm into this now. Yeah, and even that little snippet and I'm willing to bet most people didn't see it, so yeah, I don't know what it did those I meant most people didn't see the ad, but yeah, I don't even know how many people went to go see it. You talk. You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing too, is like you're you're also talking about a movie about Herman Garrick and a guy I will I am not ashamed to say I did not know existed. I did not know who this guy was.
Speaker 1: Well, people didn't know who Oppenheimer was before the movie.
Speaker 2: I think people knew who Oppenheimer was.
Speaker 1: Like if this would have been the average American like a history buff. Sure, you're telling me the average American prior to the average American.
Speaker 2: But I think Oppenheim is a much more recognizable name than Herman.
Speaker 1: Gary.
Speaker 2: Now, if this would have been Hitler, yeah, okay, then you're talking about a significant like, but who makes a movie about Hitler?
Speaker 1: Now it's you know, not in any kind of realistic way, that's for sure. That'd be what was it? Jojo Rabbit would probably be your best bet at this point where he was in a we ever see?
Speaker 2: Would we ever see like somebody like Nicholas Cage who basically cares not what people think of him. Yeah, take And I'm not saying Nicholas Cage do it, but an actor that's just you know, way out there, and he convinces a director and a producer I want to do a Hitler biopic. Would that ever get made?
Speaker 1: No? No, never, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least not by any kind of like this era. Anybody with a million dollars can make a movie at this point and like get it on some streaming.
Speaker 2: So I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about feature film in theaters. Hitler The Untold Story or something you know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you couldn't even call it Hitler, right, Nobody would go see it if it was called a hit Now.
Speaker 1: What's funny is uh Taiko Watiti played Adolf Hitler and Jojo Jojo Rabbit. That would be my best bet. I think who would be able to play him in something else? I think it's just one of those roles.
Speaker 2: Michael Fassbender says he wants to play Hitler that movie doesn't get made.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think it would. Yeah, I think it would too, but like you have to be done like like I just don't know how.
Speaker 2: You'd have to call it the Fall, the Fall of Hitler or something like or the Fall of the Third Reich. Yeah, something that that like intimates like, Okay, this is going to have an ending that everybody's happy with.
Speaker 1: Sure, because we're going to show him being an artist for the first thirty minutes. Yeah right, like we're going to show the human element. We're going to prices right this year, you think it came out, I hoped your weekend it's thirty six million, four point three.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it is bad. That is bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Did you see the popcorn Demeter or whatever they call. Oh no this that yeah, No, I agree.
Speaker 2: Critics and audiences definitely different on this really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, I'm excited to see now because I can only because the way you kind of set it up. I tried to go into this one blank and I think I did a pretty good job. But why am I spelling Oppenheimer right now?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about Yeah, oh you're yeah, you gotta know, yeah, Nurember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about Nerber. Yeah, okay, all right. So they're both good though, sixty nine verse ninety six, but differvert.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm surprised that there's that much differentiation. Yeah, given the type of film that this.
Speaker 1: Is, I would agree. I would actually expect those numbers to invert. Yeah, I would expect critics to be that high on this in audiences be a little more wishy washing about it. But uh again, it's power. It's a very powerful movie. It's hard to keep people invested in a historical drama for two and a half hours. It's mostly just in a room like there's a there's there's a conversation, there's something to be said about that. It's similar to Frost Nixon, which stuck with me after having seen it, having not been alive for the actual tapes as well. And that's why that that reminiscent to me this whole time. If you're a history person, if you are one of those days, my dad is he's gonna be all over this. Oh I'm saying, my dad watches History Channel all the time. And that's exactly who this is for. And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And I think a lot of people who do shut their minds off during movies well have an enjoyable, well not enjoyable, but in an informative and entertaining conversation back and forth. And if you do tend to question a lot of things you say, I've been thinking about it since Monday, you know what I mean. Like, I still am ticked off that you think evil exists. And that was forty minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just a greedy disagerie only. But you know, overall, I did not expect to necessarily had the reaction I did to these characters, the two main ones, Crow and Malick's character definitely view both of those stories through a different lens after seeing it.
Speaker 1: Of what I expected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then after seeing it, I definitely view them in a different different light.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. I'm trying to find people that hated it.
Speaker 2: Don't go on Reddit. A ton of people on there who hated it.
Speaker 1: Don't waste your time. I wanted to leave after forty minutes. Seriously, the whole story is poorly written. Even the star power can't make it an average movie. There's no character to like or hate in the whole movie.
Speaker 2: I will say that I go back and forth on that, like of who to root for, you know.
Speaker 1: But that to me, granted, I realized there's a historical context to this, but that to me is the mark of something I saw someone else crap talking this, saying it was a Disney a Disney movie, And what I equated to one of the most egregious examples of it for me is in a very mediocre we're gonna bring it to Marvel as we always do Black.
Speaker 2: Panthers already did with the fantasification.
Speaker 1: Good point, but in Black Panther, kill Monger is the villain in that movie, and I would argue, other than Heath Ledger's Joker, it's the only other example I can think of of a villain who ends up changing the hero's mind by the end of the movie, And I think that's a cool concept to have in a movie.
Speaker 2: Did he change his mind?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like because Killmonger was like, Wakanda should be helping black people all over the world. Why are we isolating the maverreco and allowing people everywhere? And at the end of the movie black Panthers, like, we should be going all over the world with this. What are we talking about here? In that movie, he ends up making so much sense at one point that they almost have to put an obligatory here's kill Monger choking woman, so you remember that he's evil and we shouldn't be rooting for him. He was. He was one because underrated Marvel villains. Yes, because he was so sympathetic at times that they had to be like, oh no, remember this guy sucks. Here, look at this and this movie doesn't really have that. And I think because it's such a dastardly movement, i e. The Nazis, it's such it's such a bad group of people that like you're expecting that, like, oh, well, here's a Nazi doing something terrible. Moment in this story but I think the whole point was to drive home the humanity even in some evil people out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yeah, I mean there's there's something in here for the Holocaust deniers as well, dependent upon what you think about Herman Gerrigg's testimony to the Tribunal at Nuremberg.
Speaker 1: It had a little of everything. It did. It did, and I I feel like I don't have a lot more to say about it because I think I think we've kind of run our gambit on here and I have this at like a seven and a half.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was going to say seven and a half yeaheah, Now, I don't know that could be my expectation. I just I felt like this had the potential to be super moving, like really emotionally moving. And it was, but I never really got to that, to that point where like, oh my God, that this is powerful stuff right here.
Speaker 1: I'd argue it was intellectually powerful. I don't think it was emotionally powerful in many ways, in many not to say not at all, but not as much as uh as what I was expecting.
Speaker 2: You know, now I think about this. This is about the Holocaust, this is about World War Two, that's about seventy million people dying. Yeah, and without revealing anything here, I don't think there was a character in this movie that. I don't think there's a character in this movie that embodied the horrors of World War two in the Holocaust. Yeah, I think there was shades of it, but there wasn't somebody who embodied it. And maybe that's for the emotional yea, why it just wasn't It wasn't.
Speaker 1: It's not what it was about.
Speaker 2: Now, people died, people died, I mean it was World War Two, like people died, So there were some stakes in this movie. But at the same time, I think you're right. I think this was more you know what, it reminded me of kind of Lincoln. Remember Lincoln, sure with Daniel d Lewis. Yeah, that was That was another one that was more of an intellectually historically accurate portrayal of what was going on post Civil War. Right, that was post war No, it was during a post right Yeah. Well yeah, well it's been a while since I saw it. This was on that level. Yeah, except for you.
Speaker 1: It's one of the only things I know about Lincoln that a lot of people don't know is that he had a much higher pitched voice than we realized, and Lincoln didn't realize. Yeah I didn't know that, yeah right, it was almost raspy, like you gotta talk like that, and like you wouldn't be like seven feet tall in his frame exactly, and uh and like I always just find that funny. And I wish Daniel day Lewis, like, can I that, because it would kill it would kill the legacy, you know, because not a lot of people know this. You don't in school. I came across it on my on like some other deep time that I was doing for something else. And ever since then, I have history buffs and anytime I'm doing a Lincoln impersonation, I do with that voice, and they also know why I'm doing it, and they'll be like, of course that's the only thing you know about Abraham.
Speaker 2: Which can we replicate this somehow? I'd love to know how link do we have any audio of Lincoln.
Speaker 1: I don't looking out to send you some shit, though, because because now that I've opened your eyes to this, you google it. If you're listening to you right now, google it on your own. Go find this stuff out. I'm not making it up like he had Marphin syndrome.
Speaker 2: And that runs in my family, by the way. I've had uncles and cousins die from it. Really and and you know what's funny about this, I'm just thinking about this and realize he marphan syndrome because it's it's it's it usually affects like it makes you tall, Your your joints are super long. Everything gets your chest is conca yes, and and everything is stretched out in there as well, So it makes you really prone to like heart attacks and what have you. Sure, I wonder if like and and the people I've had my family who died from it, I don't think saw the age of fifty. Wow. I mean the one guy was in his thirties. My uncle was like early forties and he passed away. I wonder if Lincoln hadn't you been, if he wouldn't have been shot. I wonder if he was on his way out anyway, you know, because how how early people die from marfins.
Speaker 1: Intro, especially in the eighteen hundreds, especially, medical care was totally different back then. Here, let's stick a leech on there, that'll fix you right up. Yeah, right, all right. That was the patented off topic right at the end of the they I love that. I could have done a whole podcast about that right there. That was that was wonderful.
Speaker 2: Next week's episode, Lincoln, We're gonna nothing about the movie just bitch ye was going to talk about the president in general. Everything you didn't realize you needed to know about Abraham Lincoln. On next week's off topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh what four scored seven years ago? That's child's play. Welcome, Welcome to the real history running Man next week, right, Yeah, that's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: Now I'm debating I need to rewatch the original because it's been I mean that came out like mid eighties, y right, and I probably saw it in like, I don't know, thirty years ago, thirty five years ago.
Speaker 1: That's the last time you've seen it. Yeah, I haven't. I haven't rewatched stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Ben, They're making so much more stuff like like, I can't. I'm not going to go out of my way to rewatch something like that. But now that we're doing the Glenn Powell Running Man. By the way, Glenn Powell hosting the Thanksgiving episode of Saturday Night Live this weekend. Oh wow, Okay, so I'm sure there could be some Running Man stuff in there. As well, because he'll be promoting that. From fact, I'm debating whether I need to rewatch that.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the Asian hockey player in the original Running Man?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't. Yeah. So his name's Professor Tanaka. He was a studio wrestler, and in Western PA, studio wrestling was everything. Yeah, Bruno San Martino is from the area, and so Professor Tanaka he would put a bag over your head and he would put you to sleep, you know, you know, through the magic studio wrestling. And he is the Asian guy that that is, uh, the hockey player. So Western Pa has like a special connection with Running Man. So I guess that's probably why I hit you that, Like you haven't rewatched, but like pre and Realni, why would you. Yeah, no one cares about Professor Tanaka except for like seventeen people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only reason I'd rewatch it is because if they put in some Easter eggs, I want to pick up on them.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, what I mean? So I guarantee you they they absolutely will. And the message of that movie is going to be the same as the message of the original movie, and it is much like The Long Walk, much like Rufe riuson much like so much that we watch unfortune this movie from nineteen eighty five. There's a line where he says something I'm paraphrasing it in the original where he says, keep a Budweiser in their hands and the butts in front of the seats, and then they won't be on the protest line. And very much is still relevant today even and I think it's absolutely worth remaking. And have you seen Scott Pilgrim Versus the World? It's fifteen years ago. Maybe that's one of my favorites. I love that movie. It made me an Edgar Wright stand. So anything Edgar Wright does I am on board with. He was on Fallon last night.
Speaker 2: I think Edgar Wright, Stephen Stephen Colbert, Edgar Wright was one of the late night shows last night.
Speaker 1: I always wonder I'd love to see the ant Man movie that we never got to see because he was the original director and there was some kind of creative difference that he would not budge on that pissed hisney off and they ended up canning him. And not that I'm anti Paul Rudd or what the ant Man movies became, but I would have loved to see a Edgar Wright here. Yeah, so he's not anything with Marvel. No, he tried to be too much of a creative, which is why I'm optimistic. I haven't heard anything about this yet, but I'm optimistic about this one.
Speaker 2: It's wild because he had Josh Brolin in this as well as Coleman Domingo, who I think is a phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Actor, and even Michael Sarah from you Know, Scott Pilgrim Versus the World.
Speaker 2: Mark Martin Hurley, who is still one of the writers on Saturday Night Life. He was part of the Please Don't Destroy trio that was on there the last few years. Martin Hurley is in this one as well. He's the one in the trailer saying, you know, I always thought this was fake, but now I know it's not, or something like that, and that's him in the trailer saying that. So I'm excited. I mean, this is more of like your type of thing, but I am this is going to be action.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Glenn Powell is fun. He's a fun guy to watch. I loved him in Top Gun two. He was fantastic. My kids thought he was great and I never saw Twisters, but they went and saw him in Twisters. You know, I never saw the Sydney Sweeney movie that he was in. I heard it was terrible. Yeah, but he does guest college picking on ESPN College Game Day, which is going to be in Pittsburgh. He's done that before when they've been down in Austin for Texas because he's a Texas guy. He just he's And there was a report that he I think I mentioned this to you. There is a report that Tom Cruise wanted Glenn Powell to take over the Mission Impossible mantle. And if there is a comparison to Tom Cruise in twenty twenty five of what Tom Cruise was in nineteen eighty five, nineteen ninety five, Glenn Paul's right up, good looking guy, great smile, like a good actor.
Speaker 1: Wrong as he does his stunts. I think we're in business.
Speaker 2: Expedibles three he was an Expedibles three, so I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was great in that, which well I'm not.
Speaker 2: That's why I listen, man, you get all those expendables guys together for I'm gonna love it no matter what. It could be the worst shlock ever and I will absolutely.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, and I realized we're doing the thing we always do at the end of the episode. It's the reason why I don't want to review The Predators, the New Predators movie, because you don't make it pg. Thirteen. The first two expendables were are the third one's pg. Three teen.
Speaker 2: Get that shit out of here. Now here's the thing. It was not as good as the first two, but I still love.
Speaker 1: It was fine, Well, it was better than that. Didn't they make a fourth one? The fourth one was better than the third one?
Speaker 2: Now it was the fourth one with fifty yeah, I think yeah, And and they didn't have a lot of the original cast was missing on that one. They made the fourth one, and I didn't find out they made the fourth one till like.
Speaker 1: A year or two after.
Speaker 2: I was talking with Sturfry at work and we're te he's talking, what expendables for? I'm like, oh, yeah, I'd love to see him make that.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, they did. It came out last October.
Speaker 2: What How am I? How do I not know that expendables for is a thing?
Speaker 1: So late? A minute? Late a minute, wait a minute. You get this excited for expendables, you're gonna be like, look, Ronny, my own's more your kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's it's not the same thing, because Running Man is not the whole impetus for making the expendables was Sylvester Stallone saying, what happened to those great eighties movies where there was no plot? There was just blood and bullets and gore and death and you know, and so he decided to bring back everybody from the you know, he had Chuck Norris Stone, called Steve Austin, Terry Crews, Wesley Snipes, Jet Lee, I'm forgetting, Dolf Lungern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm forget you know, all these people. You got like half of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a Terry cruise, Mel Gibson, Yeah, I did. Jehan Claude Van Dam, Randy Oh was the guy.
Speaker 1: Randy Orton was at his name, he was in it. Steve Austin was absolutely now now running Man.
Speaker 2: If you were just somehow Schwartzenegger, Bruce Willis forgot about them too, if you were to somehow bring back a cavalcade of all these actors where it's just like, oh my god, this is like an eighties action movie wet dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all about it.
Speaker 2: But it's a remake of action of an eighties action movie, none of the original eighties actors. You don't think we'll get a little snippet of Arnold. We might get a snippet. Expendables was the whole thing.
Speaker 1: But it was. So that's that's why I get crazy. Allow it. I'll allow it. I'm optimistic about this. I feel like, hold on.
Speaker 2: If we would have done this, let's say you get Schwarzenegger and you get all these other just like four of them, four or five of them, Yeah, and you call it expendables five. Yeah, I'm totally gonna love it. You know, The Running Man Colon Expable Gerles five Colin The Running Man rated R.
Speaker 1: That's Eric Folkman it K Balky. I'm Ben Comonos. Catch us on our shows, the Show on w s c O and of course Outside the Box w h B Y. We'll be back next week. Tell we're excited about that one. Hope to see you there.