Speaker 1: Hey, it's Niel Sevedre. You're listening to kfi EM six forty the four Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app. It's gorgeous today, it is very much summer weather. Happy to be with you. We get three hours check this out, three hours every Saturday, just to celebrate food, the people that make it, the culture behind it, historical places here in out La, going out to eat, cooking at home, everything in between. I know that the world can be a sharp cornered place these days, and this is a sanctuary of sorts for us to shake off the news and come together and just celebrate food, something we all love. So I have been doing the show for over a decade and there are tons of places that I still haven't had on the program, and I'm always surprised, especially when they are, you know, in the highest echelon of Los Angeles eateries. And today we're going to change that with John Lindquist. He's the managing partner at tam O'Shanter in Los Felis. And I welcome you to the show, my friend Neil. Thanks for having me. It's a pleasure and I appreciate you taking the time to come down. I know Saturdays are very hard. They're busy time for restaurants for a couple reasons. I do want to talk about tam as a whole because it's one of my all time favorite places that encapsulates, you know, motion, a vibe, a sense of getting away and away from the noise in life. Great food, you know, fun servers, people that seem to want to want to be there and work there, people enjoying themselves, all these things. But I want to start out with something you're doing now with table thirty one, a special that you're doing. Why don't you tell people about table thirty one please?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So Table thirty one is the most requested a table in the restaurant. It actually was Walt Disney's favorite table.
Speaker 1: Wow, did he ever say why it was? Is there is the location? I've seen it, were sat there, But is there some reason that he wanted that? It's a foretop? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a fore top mainly because it was his back would be up to the wall. He could see everybody coming in through the bar area. Was mafia, No, but he would take his meetings there. And you got to remember the animators were there too, and they always wanted to get stuff in front of him.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, he could see him coming fire. People were going to show his wares or their wares or whatever. And he had his favorites there as well. Right, his foods that he liked, that he ordered quite often. Was he the Taypo ordered the same meal over and over?
Speaker 3: From what you've heard, yeah, he was pretty much, here's a potatoes kind of guy. Yeah, so chili, fried eggs, hamburger steaks, real simple fare.
Speaker 1: Wow, sounds like me without all the genius. But the appetites similar, and so there's a lot of I mean, the vibe of tam O'Shanter is also whimsical, and it wasn't far from the studio at the time, and all of those things, so it made sense. Do you know of any specific I don't know, deals or ideas that were made at table thirty one?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean a lot of things we're done at table thirty one. Table thirty one was part of the inspiration for some attractions in Disneyland were actually formed right there. He sketched him on the back of Tamashanner napkins, which are now in the family archive in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Wow, they won't even give us a copy of them.
Speaker 3: But really we were able to get what was on those napkins and we were able to etch it into the table. So you can see the etchings on the table. That's cool. Yeah, that's cool and permanent and a really neat thing. There are so many people that in Los Angeles have touched or experienced or have had an idea pop into their head. To be able to, I don't know, commemorate that in a way is powerful. Now, you folks at tam O'shantern have gone above and beyond with that and now offering something that you couldn't get before, and that is a lunch and a dinner that's been curated around the Walt Disney experience with a historian or somebody.
Speaker 1: So explain about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So guests have the opportunity now to book and guarantee the table. Before it was always like a first come, first serve, you know, and you never knew if you were going to get it. So those who didn't get it felt like their day got ruined because they didn't get sit at the table. So now we made an experience via open table where people can book it out for two hour time slots. So Basically how it works is they get a four course meal, either lunch or dinner, and it's some of We've got Wall's favorite burger on there, which is the only place in the restaurant you can get that burger is at that table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's not on the menu right now.
Speaker 2: It's not on the menu.
Speaker 3: It's always been like this secret menu item, but it was It's never official. It was not officially put on a menu anywhere. So they can get they had the opportunity to have that, and then throughout the meal, we've got our storytellers there. So we've got our historians on staff, our Disney table ambassadors. That's so cool to come to the table and they'll bring little tidbits and talk about, you know, the experience that Wald had.
Speaker 1: What he was there. You know what's funny is I don't have a problem eating alone. You know. For what I do. I try a lot of places out and go places. My wife is not a big foodie, so so you know, i'd go occasionally. But Town is one of the few places where I just go sit at the bar and have a meal there and don't even think about just the vibe of the place and talking with whoever's bonding the stick and just hanging out is just it just puts you in a whole different mindset. How long have you been the managing partner.
Speaker 3: I've been running the place for the families for fifteen years now.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, And you know what brought you there? Had you been in that industry before, had you known the history of tam o'shantern.
Speaker 3: I lucked out, honestly, good for you. So I came out of grad school, I went to Vegas. I was working in restaurants there, and then I ended up in La randomly with the same company that I was working in Vegas. They were opening a restaurant out here, didn't do so well, and then I found Lowri's. I found Lowries the primer m. I said, wow, it's an interesting restaurant, it's an interesting concept. I think I'll go and work for them. So luckily they gave me a job, and then you know, the spot at the Tama Shunter came out. They said this would be perfect for you. You know, you'd love to do this. It's a real challenge and it's a fun place to work. And I lucked out, you know, fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Good for you, I mean, and it is, it is. I would imagine it's a challenge for a couple of reasons. You have new people coming in. You have old people who have been there and I mean old who have experienced the restaurant through whatever changes or lack thereof, and things like that that want things exactly the way to stay. And I always, if I the heritage places, throw that curveball where keeping it the same but moving it forward is a battle.
Speaker 3: Is that true? That's absolutely true. We have our what we refer to as our legacy guests, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I called them old legacy guests sounds better. So we've been open for one hundred and three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have guests who are one hundred and three years old who have been there every year for their birthday essentially, is which is nuts to think about. You know, one hundred and three years old in the restaurant business is crazy. But to have guests who have been there for the better part of that century that we've been open to balance having to move forward, you know, having to put.
Speaker 2: A vegetarian dish on the menu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that was a scary thing when when that was done, you know, twenty years ago, and you can imagine the uproar. But every time we changed the menu a little bit, we do get a lot of pushback from the guests there.
Speaker 2: So, well, where's this dish? Where's that dish? They said.
Speaker 3: We always tell them, listen, you got to remember that that dish you had twenty thirty years ago. It might have changed, but that was new twenty thirty years ago. When you started like, yeah, so you're gonna find something new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good way of looking at it. You know. That's the whole point is. That's why it's funny how Tam o' shantered has been through, you know, all kinds of different things, La has been through. But the reality is most places that are coming into the sea and the food scene now are trying to find a vibe, trying to find something that's worth It's more than just the food now. Now people want an atmosphere and they want you know, and Tam has had it the whole time. So people get to go in there enjoy that. And whenever I walk in, I don't care what time of the year it is, I always feel, you know. Now the holidays are always fun, and of course going in there in March is always a blast, but it just has its own energy and speaks to the an older La and Hollywood that I happen to be a fan of. So you're very, very lucky to do that. We come back, we'll talk more about Tam o' shanter, the food, and we'll talk about the menu and stuff. But the fact that you can now book through Open Table Table thirty one, Walt Disney's table, go hear some history have the food that he loved. I thought was very special and wanted to make sure and I've talked about it on the show. But you know the fact that we've got John Lindquist here, he's the managing partner, is just a special way to kind of put a nice exclamation point on it. So stick around. We'll talk more about this amazing restaurant right here, just on the outskirts of Los Angeles and Los Felis area that is so special and why it is so special. So stick around.
Speaker 4: You're listening to The Fork Report with Neil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, it's the Fork Report. I'm Neil Savadra. Thanks for hanging out today. Right now, My guest is John Lindquist. He is the managing partner of tam o' shanter in Los Felis in Los Angeles here right off of the five if you're going that way, and it just is a special place. It's owned by the Loweryes folks, so you know that they The food is already spectacular, but the vibe and the history one hundred and three years old, it just is an incredibly special place. And so John was talking about how Table thirty one is where you know, Walt Disney used to sit there with you know, three guests and make deals and come up with, you know, ideas of things, you know, notes on napkins type stuff and talk about having a foot in the door of history. And we were talking a little bit about how you can now get that. You can reserve that table a special meal for a special price that I think is fantastic. It's basically a four course meal there. You can check that out. Do you have to go to the Lowry's site first? You go to Lowry's to find you guys?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you can get to tamil shutter dot com or Lowry's online dot com.
Speaker 1: Got you either way, And then you can on the open table you can reserve and get your reservations there. So, what's going on with the menu right now? What are the things Prime Rib obviously is going to be on there, but what are some things that are the favorites of people that come in Tamo Shander.
Speaker 3: So our number one favorite during the daytime lunch service is our brisket sandwich. Oh yeah, We've been doing brisket for a long long time. It's the most popular. And I know why because it's the only thing my wife asked me to bring home from the restaurant, you know, after being there fifteen years, that's the one thing she stole requests.
Speaker 2: Can you bring me some brisket tonight?
Speaker 1: It is? It is an incredible sandwich. And yeah, brisket's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it goes great with our pant coleslaw beets and pickles that we've been doing for at least fifty years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And what's your jam? What do you go to after being there the whole time fifteen years? Yourself?
Speaker 3: I'm always a sucker for a nice piece of prime Rib. That said, you know, I'm a pub food kind of guy. Yeah, I love I love the vibe of our pub So I love our chicken sandwich. It cannot be beat. It really is a it's a it's an amazing sandwich. And I'm a burger guy too. Yeah, but I get mine. I add the extra patty to mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at you. I'm trying to think if it's if is it served with a knife in the center These days, I'm trying to think of it, or if the burger just comes as is it's been a long time, it.
Speaker 3: Comes as Okay, it's topped with you know, your traditional lettuce tomato.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It just that is like the food that brings a smile to my face no matter what. And when you don't know what you want, you can walk into place like tam O Shantern and get something off the menu and it's going to bring you that joy that like, oh I didn't even know that I wanted this today, but this is what I want. So of course, okay, that sandwich. What about dinner time? What's what's the number one order that comes in on the menu.
Speaker 3: I mean the number one order is you know, I mean fifty percent of the guests order. Yeah, and you know, I mean obviously we've made it famous with Lowry's The Prime Rib and Lowry's the Prime Rib was born at the Tama Shanter. That seasoning salt was mixed in our garage at the restaurant in nineteen thirty seven, right before we opened in nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 2: At Lowry's.
Speaker 1: The Prime Rim still one of my favorites. I learned about it from my mom and now it's a staple not only in my indoor kitchen, but my outdoor kitchen in the backyard. It has it in sealed drawers back there too. It just is one of those things that you don't get anywhere else. And your side, what's your side? Your go to side?
Speaker 3: My side is always the cream spinach. Oh yeah, we do it traditionally with the bacon in it, and it's you know, it's it's been a staple of that menu since nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Excellent. How's business been?
Speaker 2: Business is great?
Speaker 1: Actually good?
Speaker 3: You know, I think I think we had a very challenging start to this year, but we've been an anchor in that community in Atwater Village for one hundred and three years, so we kind of became their go to comfort spot, you know, with all the trouble that was happening with fires, Yeah, and whatnot. I think people found that sense of comfort and sense of home that the time of Shinner kind of kind of gives off.
Speaker 1: And it's an interesting vibe there on Los Feeless Boulevard too, because you have the new I mean, you have Costco across the street, and you have stuff like that, But there is that little nook right there on the most gosh, what would be that most southern part of training of thing where that runs. But how you have this time capsule in that building and that that hasn't seemed to change. I mean, can look at pictures of it forty years ago, it looks the same. Yeah, you go into you know, open the door and go in there and you see the photos and the history. Just the vibe, the smell of the place is just welcoming everything about it. So I just I can't say enough great things about any last words about tam O'Shanter that you want people to know or if they haven't been in, what they should try.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you haven't been in, I mean, we've got a diverse menu. We're not We're not a one dish restaurant like Lowry's the Prime Rim. We've got a little bit of everything for everybody. You know, we're family friendly. We always have been. You know, we see three generations of a family sitting around the dining room table and love it. You our dining rooms every night, so you know, it's just it's a great place to to get away from the hustle and bustle of La.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's friendly and you're always met with friendly just the whole. I can't recommend it enough if you if you've never been, and I know we've got a massive audience, you know, throughout California and beyond even Las Vegas and Arizona and everything else. But you know, make a day trip. If you're you know south here, you're in Orange County, make a day trip or plan to come out. And if you're local and haven't been, just take yourself out, go and enjoy yourself. It just really is a special place and there's good people. So this is my first time meeting John Lindquist there, so it was a real pleasure. Man. I appreciate you taking the time to come in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Neil, thanks for having me, and I really appreciate me you No, it's my pleasure.
Speaker 1: But I know that Saturdays are busy, so you're going to run back and make sure that the cats are all where they're supposed to be. But good time had by all at tam O'Shanter. Get out there and enjoy yourself. And if you have the testecular fortitude to go there four in March and enjoy a little Saint Patti's day, good luck to you. It's packed, but man it it's like nothing else you've ever experienced. As well.
Speaker 4: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savadra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Happy Saturday to you and Neil Savadra here with the Fork Report. Happy to be hanging out with you on this gorgeous Saturday. It is warm. It is warm outside, but you know what, that's nice. Get out there grilling, enjoy some family, some downtime. This is a hard day to want to get stuff done at the house, though, I will tell you that, got up, went out back, went into my shop, started working on a few things. I was like, oh, this is not no air conditioning in the shop, you see, It's just not the way it works. But it's a nice day to be I don't know if you have a pool, hang out there, if there's a public pool or one at the you know, apartment center or something, whatever it is. If you can be by water, that's great as well. So you know John Lindquist, first time I met him managing partner there at tam O'Shanter. I guess it's technically Atwater Village. I always think it is Los Felis because it's on Los Felis Boulevard, but it's you know, on the eastern side of Los Angeles there, nice guy, and I thought it was very cool for him to come in. It's very hard for the restaurants in any way, shape or form to come in on a Saturday, and we always appreciate it. But those of you who want to hang out with me on social media, please do at Fork Reporter, at Fork Reporter on Instagram and X and threads and all that, although I'm on Instagram the most. But you can come hang out with me there at Fork Reporter and and Annie there she writes, bring back the deviled eggs, because they have right deviled eggs at tam O' Shanter, but they are not on the main menu anymore. I do not believe. However, I will tell you this, Annie, why don't you go and reserve the Disney table table thirty one because you can get the deviled eggs with that meal. Plato, now you got. Don't you roll your eyes at me? Why you're supposed to be support.
Speaker 5: It was a plaid ow. It just threw me off. It just wasn't expecting the plat ow. Why it just came out of nowhere for me. I was excited about the deviled eggs and plit out. It just kind of threw me. I'm going to not roll for the rest of the show. You have an hour and a half, so I'll calm down.
Speaker 1: This is what I deal with. I come in here, I'm trying to bring joy to the masses, how but no I get constantly getting poked, called names, lack of support. AnyWho. A good time had by all there, and I highly recommend tam o' shantered, but I thought that was super cool. I just it's one of those places you've never been, have you.
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 1: It's just it's like it reminds you of a Disney ride when you look when you pull up, because it just got this old kind of cottagey vibe to it. But yeah, it's been there for a long time and it just is I don't know, just good stick to your ribs food.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: After reading about the experience and talking to John, I'm like, I got I got to make sure I make time to go there. It sounds like something that you can only experience if you live in this area.
Speaker 6: Not everybody gets that.
Speaker 1: It's just very cool. But I always fear the places like that. You know everybody knows about. But don't think I mean even me, I'm not. I don't live that far from it, and I don't go enough. But it's because my wife doesn't eat meat, so I don't think about taking her there.
Speaker 5: Well, don't you like a dining a dining partner that likes to dine with you? You got to go with them.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't try and make up for hey, Neil, why don't you buy me a free meals?
Speaker 5: If you if, if, if you want to do the Disney experience, I will allow you to plug out and treat whatever. I with the deviled eggs, honestly, I love deviled eggs.
Speaker 2: Oh so good.
Speaker 1: I got to bring in my whiskey bacon deviled eggs.
Speaker 6: I've been working with you for how many years now?
Speaker 1: I almost never bring in my own food. Isn't that weird.
Speaker 6: I don't think I've ever had any of your food out.
Speaker 1: No, not even my cookies or sweets.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: I brought them for one guest once I made my chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 6: I'm not offended. No, it's fine.
Speaker 1: You should be offended. That's why I'm telling you, because I want you to know that I did that. So I was reading Food Beast, great story in there talking about being stressed. I know everybody gets stressed. I get stressed. I can tell when I clench my teeth when I sleep, or I have stress dreams, or you can't find your car or something. I know I parked it here. I can't find my car. Well, you know what the answer may be, study shows, survey says pizza. I could have told you that my own private study. So nutritions nutritionists are saying, yeah, they would change the crust to a whole whole grain and pile on lots of vibrant veggies on there. Lean protein for your mood boost but there's a lot of stress reducing type ingredients there. Tomato sauce carries out antioxidants. You got the immune boosting vitamin c cheese brings a trip to fan and that helps your brain blast that serotonin and you know what it does when that serotonin comes in and goes pletew.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh so, uh, that's maybe why we reach for that now. Of course, the same nutrition iss will say once once you go back to the table for your second slice, they'll be like, oh no, that just basically ruined everything. The first slice dead. But yeah, that is my total comfort food. That is my geez little uh, some whiskey, neat and some pizza.
Speaker 5: Good night apollonio. Half my paycheck elease once a week.
Speaker 1: Oh but that's not that's that's a slice of have.
Speaker 6: It it really wet?
Speaker 1: That is they've been on.
Speaker 6: I want them. I want them when I'm here so I can get some pizza.
Speaker 1: No, alright, so yeah, that's beyond I mean, that is that is a symphony. That's not even pizza anymore. That's its own category to me, just just bizarre appollonias, just beyond beyond. All right, more to com of whatever this is. You've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, it's a gorgeous day. However, it is hot. It is hot outside, so I hope you're staying cool and hydrated. Get that water in you. Nothing will hydrate you like water. It's just doesn't know where people go because people are like, oh, yeah, I was having juice. You know, get that water in you. Beer doesn't count. Boys and ladies, all right, avocados. Here's something that's counter what most people might think. And to me, I've told you that being rational is a very important thing to me. And it doesn't mean that I'm not irrational at times. We all are. There are times where I turn off my brain and I let my heart do the running and I get emotional and I focus on that. Even what somebody called in and said that I cut Amy off. Yeah, yeah, when when I was doing the morning show and we were talking about stake, I didn't. She was asking me. Yeah.
Speaker 5: They said it was rude and they weren't expecting that from you, and I was like, I wrote them back, like, yeah, he is rude, and.
Speaker 1: I will accept that. If they think I was being rude, I apologize because I told Amy, I said, you didn't take that personal right like I was. I was amplifying it for effect and because one of those things that bugs me bad reasoning bugs me. But it wasn't towards her. It was towards what was being said. And she said, oh, we're getting, you know, talkbacks. And I said, as long as as long as nobody thinks I'm disrespecting you or I'm treating you poorly, I don't care.
Speaker 5: But she wasn't offended, right, she said, no, yeah, I think we all get around her family around here.
Speaker 1: But I adore Amy and respect the hell out of her. But you know, we're all passionate about certain things, so I know this might spin somebody a different way, because you know, we're here in California. And I used to rep Mexican avocados on the show because I think they're a fantastic product. Now I love California avocados as well, but I remember getting pushed back to people saying why don't you promote California avocados? And I would. They didn't ask me to, and I love them, but I really do. They didn't come and ask me, So it's not the way you think. Sometimes there is an ecosystem that's important, and when we mess with a part of it, we don't understand the unintended consequences. So you might think if more avocados come into the US from Mexico, that causes the problems because we grow our own here, right, and that California farmers should be ticked off about that. That's not true. There are many local growers that say the exact opposite. They say Mexican avocados are actually good for business. The reason why is because Mexico has a different climate that allows them to grow year round. We do not. So what ended up happening in a nutshell basically is by having Mexican avocados come in when we did not have them, made them go on to more menus, made them in the stores, more people fell in love with them, People started buying more instead of thinking they were just a seasonal item. So all around, everybody started to win. And these are the type of things that we forget about when we hear about you know, I don't know America first and all these types of things that there is partnerships, There is friendships with our neighbors, that's Mexico, that's Canada. That to have those partnerships is powerful. I know we have immigration issues, but really, if we want bad immigrants out, you know, people that are problematic, then you gotta want good ones in. You know, DOCA program friendships, these types of things where you could say, hey, this is what we're looking for, and this is another sign of that. So the big picture in all of this, more avocados created more demand if you break the habit by having them seasonal. Sure, when they came back into season, people oh, I got to buy myself some avocados, but you wouldn't have, you know, thirty dollars avocado toast at some place in Silver Lake with people who look like they're homeless but have a four thousand dollars laptop. You're like, wait, isn't that person the homeless. No, they call them hipsters. Well, how do you tell, well, the four thousand dollars Mac laptop laptop and that they have they have just a little thing of saracha in their pocket. Oh, that's easy enough. Then that's cool. And the tattoos almost people can't afford them. So it's been a big thing. So the constant year round supply of avocados thanks to Mexico. As a matter of fact, grocery stores keep them in stock. They were, you know, originally just kind of a treat, and that has changed things. The AHAs Avocado Board continues to this partnership talking about the healthy fats good marketing matters because now we learned that the positive fats in avocados are important. Right now, about sixty percent of US households by avocados, but most of the eating happens in states like California, Texas, and Florida. So when you look at that, there's massive potential in places like the Northeast where avocados haven't really caught on yet. You know, when you find something on a menu that says California Style burger, it's just a burger with avocado on. That's what it is. California Style pizza, Okay, what is It's a pizza, but it's got avocado on. So there's a lot of growth potential in this and it really ended up pushing pushing more interest, pushing more love for more taste for avocados. The wildfires have been a big concerned. Avocado trees have very flammable leafs, they're oiling, they're flammable. Recent fires in Venturre County destroyed some orchards, but we're still in love with them. Avocado trees are in such high demand. Some nurseries already sold out for the next year or two. It's one thing I've always wanted. I don't have a space for it per se, but I'd love to have an avocado tree that is like the one thing you know you are going to eat and you're ready for all the time, and get it out there fresh farmers out there that were devastated by setbacks of fires and all those things can be problems, but this is this partnership with Mexico and there avocados really ended up helping California farmers, not herting like some people might have expected or suspected. And I think we need to understand the ecosystem of these things sometimes to say, hey, the more the merrier, it actually brings in more interest for something which helps our local growers as as well. And I'm not saying I know everything about local farmers. I really don't, but I got to tell you, from everything I've ever seen, those are hard working people with very little on the back end. They're like, oh my gosh, that's a beautiful maserati what do you do for a living. I'm a farmer. So these are people that are living a different type of American dream where they're saying we want to partake in the food chain and make sure people are eating and they're eating good foods. These small farmers and a lot of time aren't doing things like avocados. So I just loved that story and how it put into perspective how we kind of all do work together in a way that can benefit everyone. All right, go nowhere, it's the Fork Report. I'm Neil Savadra. Still have an hour to come. Include what I want to tell you, Oh a guy suits, what a burger? And I have a problem with this. Also a look at the five months you know post fires there they eat and fire in what's going on in Alta Dino with restaurants and how we can be a part of that. So go know
Speaker 4: Where you're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty