Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to episode five fifty seven of five and IVE, the Baseball podcast that continues to dare to ask the question what's happening in baseball? It is Thursday, June twenty fifth, and because Craig continues to be out on an assignment, today, I happen to be your host. My name is Patrick Debue, joining me as always prospects are Jeffrey pattern Astro, as well as special guest star and BP alumnus Zach Kreiser, author of the Bandwagon newsletter gentlemen, Hello.
Speaker 2: Have we figured out Craig said?
Speaker 1: There was?
Speaker 2: I thought that I got a picture Craig last night saying there's really good French food. Is he in Paris? I'm trying to narrow down where.
Speaker 3: No, I actually know where he is. I heard on your last episode that he didn't tell you guys. He did tell me he's an Antigua. Okay, okay, the family went before and I guess when you have kids, if you find a.
Speaker 2: Vacation, yeah, you just go back that. I've started asking questions of people that have been about Disney World. I'm not happy about any of this. It's going to be terrible, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did Disney World once when my kids were I think boy six and three, and no we have not gone back, and hopefully I never have to anything else going on, you guys any banter. It's been a short couple of days for you, Jeff, it's been like months for you, Zach.
Speaker 3: Anything that happened since the last time I was on this podcast. I actually went to France, but not to Paris. I'm guessing the French food was better than an antigue with but you know, you take what you can get.
Speaker 1: I finished reading a book. The book is The Sports Writer by Richard Fortz. I don't know if you guys have heard of this book. I did mention it two shows ago. I've tried not to mention it since it's not a bad book. I kind of hated it, and I guess we can, you know, you can leave off what it, you know, the modern novel or anything, because it's very it's a very modern novel. But really what ended up upsetting me the most about it was the sports writing. Not necessarily it was inaccurate, but it just it was just a real time capsule into what sports writing looked like in nineteen eighty three, and every time he talked about sports or talked about the act of sports writing, it felt kind of like a personal insult about how mindless and how repetitive and how like the cool concept like basically his concept. And this is like I have Scott this Gerald quote one hundred years ago, is like, basically sports writing is the rejection of the quality of writing, like people who the idea of him going into sports writing is that he is giving up on trying to write anything good, which you know, I don't. I don't care for that. That's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there are sports writers that do that, certainly, but yes there are.
Speaker 1: And I think the other thing that's that that hurts is that it's a reflection of the celebrity sports writer from nineteen eighty three that no longer exists, that can just like not work for weeks at a time and go vacation.
Speaker 2: And then Esquire gives him like five dollars a word to go interview it jockey or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so to that part, I mean, you know, it's bitterness mixed with indifference. But yeah, don't read it. I don't. I cannot encourage people to read this book. For other books that I'm published.
Speaker 3: I finished Lonesome Dove recently, and I would encourage people to read course everybody who was ever in the past five years. But I was the last.
Speaker 1: Most well not the last thing.
Speaker 3: I've never read the most recent train.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll get to it someday. All right, we'll go ahead and get started. So first thing on the doc I put in here, I put it halfway. There is second number one. I put in this. The title just upset Jeff just just put the most normy terribles.
Speaker 2: He didn't put Well what I didn't put No, I've used it before. You just got to put in the woe.
Speaker 1: Oh oh okay, well then I have to say it.
Speaker 2: And since I like making Craig say it also, has it been eighty I thought we're gonna do that segment next week. Are we actually at eighty one games?
Speaker 1: I think I thought we were at eighty one games.
Speaker 2: Let's say we were like seventy nine. I know, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we're seven. Well sometimes eighty.
Speaker 3: Okay, whether you want to do prices right, rules right or not? Yeah, where you're if price is right is the rule, then we got to do it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So I was just gonna take us on a tour of all the different awards. Everyone loves talking about awards, but it's mostly just to catch up on you know, we talk a lot about I guess we talked about al but we talk about our favorite bad players or our favorite disappointing players. So maybe we should just like actually talk about the good players for a little bit. Uh So, looking at we'll go through each of the uh the awards right now al MVP, I should have looked up betting ons do we have? I wonder if there are current betting onds for.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine that you didn't.
Speaker 1: I think just not so much because I want to encourage anyone to bet on it, but just to see where where the normies feel about it. But right now, as far as b ref war, Bobby Witt Junior is the leader for the al MVP, followed by Cody Bellinger and you were Alvarez and uh for our stat uh it is Jordn Alvarez like wit like a full win over Mike Trout.
Speaker 2: That's like I can't get can't give up on Mike Trout.
Speaker 1: Apparently we have not.
Speaker 3: That's pretty surprising that Trut.
Speaker 2: Liked and the Phillies and the Eples. I mean, they just can't give up on it no matter what.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have to trust the process. So which where would you guys go at the.
Speaker 2: Moment for ALP, Like, it's so like the Okay, there's no good teams. Let's get that out of the way for Yeah, you can start, you can't like the way. Yeah, it's difficult. You know, Judge is hurt. I'm gonna miss enough time where he's not really going to be a factor here. Like Bellinger has been fine, but a lot of that I assume for a b refist center field or outfield defense is he's been good, but like not in a way that gets you m v P. It should just be or done if he stays healthy. And like the Astros are what a game out of a playoff fot right now? So if they make it, they have nothing else going for them except it on so like I think they'll be a good narrative case for him too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would currently vote for Jordon Alvarez because I don't. I just defensive stats are just really hard to get behind as a total MVP case and win not having his full usual season offensively and it seems like he might not because he's a little part and just so Jordan at the moment, but he's not known for playing whole seasons. I mean, the that's who it is right now. If we're talking about who could win it by the end, I think if the A's scamper into the postseason that Nick Kurtz could win to al MVP. But that's my non favorite answer to your question about who the favorite is.
Speaker 1: I do think, you know, for the people who like the valuable part of the most valuable player, like no, I don't know if I can't think of another time that a player has carried a team as much as Jordan's carrying the Astros right now. Yeah, so you get that one as well. My dark horse, I like, I know Ben Clemon's just posted about this morning. I read it, but Dylandgler I was thinking about writing about this week and he's by by bargrass War. He is third in the American League. He is basically both hitting and also the best defensive catcher in the American League outside of you know, people who don't play all the time. That's a fun name, Like, I'm glad.
Speaker 3: How would how would you as a Mariners fan or cal Rally appreciator. Feel if Dylan Dingler the catcher one a.
Speaker 1: L m v P would be very funny. But you know, like you can't pick the year that Aaron Judge, Aaron Jude Cerner last year count the m v put doubt.
Speaker 2: I'll throw in Colton Montgomery for the White Sox too that they make it.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay an l m v P.
Speaker 2: You can move on.
Speaker 3: Yah, Yeah, I mean yes, there are guys who would win ale.
Speaker 1: We are we are recording at one of Pete Crow Armstrong's goold you know, high points, right, and so there's been some talk about him like it's going to be until he has like a giant the biggest slump you've ever seen in three weeks. Uh, and then you know you got Actually, by reference war, it's not a Tani E Laite, it's Christopher Sanchez.
Speaker 2: Sure, I you know, you.
Speaker 3: Never know will win m v P and not young Yeah.
Speaker 1: Probably, Yeah, So I guess we can do both of those at the same time because it is kind of the same list for both. Yeah, you know, it's do you think that it's so easy to think that Sanchez will just keep doing this and it's somewhat easy to think that Atani is going to either get tired or hurt or something. I don't know. It's for me. It seems like both of those awards are pretty well locked down. You lockdown, you don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think Sanchez will have it on innings at the end of the day, like Missierowski is thrown off innings. Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: If Sancho's has if his e r A gets into somewhat normal territory, or if he doesn't throw as many innings as we expect him to. I think either sliver of an opening. People would love to give it to the mis but it takes their chance. It takes something.
Speaker 2: Like I throw the guy throwing one oh five is a little like any anybody here can get hurt, I mean get hurt tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We should just make a new word for most valuable pitch, and that way we can give him that a word now, just in case this moment in Amber. Uh. The funny thing is that second frim VP in BP stats is James Wood four point yea.
Speaker 2: Reasonable I say, like most other years, like Chase Burns would be like the favorite for this.
Speaker 1: He's third by reference War right now for the NLCI Young You've.
Speaker 2: Got like three pictures on pace for like an eight win season, which is very now. I don't think all of them will get there for various reasons.
Speaker 1: But uh, the al sim Cam Schlittler leads both our war and theirs, like feels like it's weird. Like I feel like Shlitler he got off to that incredible start and then he has since then just had a really great rest of the season. But because it's slightly worse than that first month, I don't feel like people are talking about him that much.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, I think it's purely because of the Sanchez and yeah, there's like the runs they were on that they just kind of overtook him in the public imagination. But yeah, I don't think there's any real case against Schlittler right now unless he also has some sort of aning limitation, but it doesn't seem like he's quite is at risk for that.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah. So second interesting, my reference war's Parker Messik and you would never guess who was third? Oh is it?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Debt mer No, although I don't by the way you started, I almost thought you might. Good it's Davis Martin of course with two point eight for for PP, there's a huge tie for second. Drew Rastminson's got two point four. Messic and Gavin Williams both had two point four. But yeah, yeah, like this one feels like yeah unless someone.
Speaker 2: The al is not good, so that's where it's where we are.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, like I guess, I guess we did the segment and everything's lockdown because the Rookie of the Year is really Also feel like they're both which is weird, like because like it's been a strong rookie class, Like, but it's been a strong rookie class where basically the average rookie is better than usual, and like McGonagall and weather are both perfectly fine, like perfectly solid unanimous. Oh yeah, that guy was rookie the year and twenty years from now, right, But then, like you've got a lot of guys who are like on pace for two and a half three wins.
Speaker 2: Yes, even Carson by yeah pinlightly.
Speaker 1: Who who did not have a hit for the first six weeks of the season.
Speaker 3: I think McGonagall and weather Holts are going to be like McGonagall obviously has super star upside, but like I feel like they're gonna be oh yeah, it was obviously Rookie of the Year, but then some guy is gonna come along and just blow them away.
Speaker 2: And it might be Connor Griffin, it might be Yeah, it's gonna be Anler type career for those guys. I think that's probably like, right, you're gonna like back in the Belie you'd both be worth like thirty seven reference war or something like. They have a really nice career.
Speaker 1: Weather especially feels.
Speaker 2: Like especially feels like that. Yeah, yeah, second second basement kind of not really old player skills but not like super twitchy, like the kind of guy that like, yeah it has like gets the Kinser contract but then also has the back end of the Kinser contract.
Speaker 1: Yes. Uh. Murakami is third place on both lists, which I think is very funny. Like I feel like he's six weeks he's been forgotten because there's just been so many other rookies. Yeah, you know, it's it feels like with Murkami like he could come back and just be his normal self and have a four or fifty played appearance, like four win season, or he could like just pick that moment to be like the strike to catch up. Yeah, have a real Joe Sharboneau kind of moment to him. I don't know. Messics obviously second in both categories for US for the American League. In the National League, South Stewart is second by both.
Speaker 3: He has a shot.
Speaker 2: He feels like like South Stuart feels like the guy that would have won it a few years ago when both McGonagall and Weatherhall got held down for like Super two. Yeah whatever, like because he just would have played that. He would have played the whole season, good counting stats and that was you on pace for like thirty home rounds, probably like eight hundred oss. Like, yeah, he's a first base dhe.
Speaker 1: But obviously the best player in his team, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Nolan McLean, who has been struggling lately, but I think struggling lately also against expectations more than and and need right, Yeah, he's been perfectly fine, but not good enough.
Speaker 2: And then Foster Griffin, also on technically rocky eligible.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, maybe on a different team or in a different league, but.
Speaker 2: I could have sworn did he play in the majors before he went overseas.
Speaker 1: I don't think he did.
Speaker 2: He knock get out I feel how you did let me see, Oh no, he did, he did.
Speaker 1: He played. He played during the COVID No, he's hold on. He did play during the COVID year. He played in twenty twenty two as well. He got one and two thirds innings in twenty twenty six and one third innings. Yeah, and he's still roche eligible. Yeah yeah, wild wild to have somebody be Rockie eligible six years after his debut. So yeah, any dark horses for any of these or are.
Speaker 2: You just like the year? I don't think like again, like somebody can get hurt, right, Like anybody can pull an oblique and miss eight weeks or something like that.
Speaker 3: But I think one of those guys, yeah, sorry, if one of those guys doesn't win it, I think it'll be Markami just comes back and keeps doing Mark comedy.
Speaker 1: I think of all of these, it feels like Schlitler is the one where if he gets hurt, then you're like, oh god, yeah, are we gonna where we're gonna find Nick?
Speaker 2: Mark?
Speaker 1: It's very it would be very funny if Parker miss, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not Rookie of the Year, yes, which.
Speaker 1: Is technically what he would do. He's second in both right now.
Speaker 2: And how's he doing on wins? I know it doesn't actually matter anymore, but yes, I feel like he has a lot of wins wins.
Speaker 1: But he's also like he actually is striking batters out more than you would think, Like I think we've made with stuff numbers and stuff numbers are mediocre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a less handed, change up guy.
Speaker 1: They're always right, but yeah he mixes well. But yeah, he strikes out like twenty seven percent of batters like it's plenty to get it done.
Speaker 3: He had the like almost no hitter to get him some notoriety.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and like if Ozer Ramirez stays out like again, he's the.
Speaker 2: Most best way I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, interesting. I mean I wonder if anybody saw that coming.
Speaker 2: I've always liked parking like I saw it coming, but not like this. I assume he'd get like the Cleveland glow up where he's going to be thrown like ninety six with everything else, and he just stayed exactly the same and makes it work.
Speaker 3: I thought he would be peak lance Linn or something to that effect, but this is better than yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean peak lance Linn was like what pretty good? The peak peaklans Lin was like it's one right.
Speaker 2: Like minor season or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, so open up your standings page because now it's the time the manager of the year. Oh god, I may as well live in constant fear that they're going to make me vote for manager, that you're one of these years.
Speaker 3: I mean, no one will care what you do, that's.
Speaker 1: True, Yeah, but I feel compelled to write an article about it. Pat Murphy uh as the second record, you know, the second best record baseball and Dave Roberts can't win.
Speaker 2: It, right, Yeah, rookie manager taking over for a disappointing team and a tough division I could see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big bounce back.
Speaker 2: Although they're they I almost put a topic on here like are they going to actually hold off the Phillies because I'm less sure they're going to hold up the Phillies more on their end than the Phillies end.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean they're talking about Ronaldo Lopez back in the rotation. Yeah, when you're talking about that.
Speaker 2: For certain things, Prime Elder has blown right back regression towards the means, and it's like type past it.
Speaker 3: If if any of the weird teams make an actual wild card run, you know if the Marlins or Cardinals make playoffs, that one that manager will win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having only Marble, Yeah I feel about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I feel about that either. But but then at least of the year.
Speaker 2: But I don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 1: If let's say, I mean, the Marlins probably don't have a run in them, even if they're about five hundred right now. But when the Nationals are slack technically about five hundred right now? How many what percentage of fans know who the Marlins and Nationals managers are?
Speaker 2: I actually could not tell you that the national I know Clayton McCullough for the Violins, I could not tell you the national It's that's right, okay.
Speaker 3: I always have to not say Drew.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Can we have a manager of the year that nobody's actually heard of before?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: I think we do this all the time. Like the Marlins manager has won it, the nice tricker win it.
Speaker 1: It's like, but at least he played and you like knew him, Like, okay, yeah, I remember there was some slight trigger when they got hired. Oh yeah, that guy's they're around, you know. I don't know, maybe in the American League, you get hearing Boone and Kevin Cash and then yeah, and then in a bunch of.
Speaker 3: American League teams, I think it's gonna be will Venable unless the White Sox really just like fall off a clip. I don't even think they have to make the playoffs. I think competence gets will Venables the nod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I could definitely see it.
Speaker 2: I could see Kat say too, if the A's make it just because of the situation, right with the yeah moving and expectation then to get them and even if they even think of like eighty three and seventy nine, which would definitely get a wild card in the American League, I could see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although you know, we talked about the National League. I mean Tonyell clearly clear favorite.
Speaker 2: All right off of this who won manager of the Year last year in both leagues?
Speaker 3: Voting Murphy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, vote Murphy, remember the traditionally.
Speaker 3: I only think I remember this because I because it was so just standard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, yeah, I used to write I used to write an article. I think I came I can't even remember how I came up with the metric, but I came up with the Manager of the Year predicting tool, and it just basically spat out Murphy and vote because expect as long as you keep the expectations low.
Speaker 3: It's actual minus projected wins equals manager the year, there.
Speaker 1: Was something, there was more to it. I can't remember what the more to it was, but there was more to it. I think I think we used Oh I remember now, we used the one hundred thousand simulations that we do for Rob Mains' article every every spring, and I use those to figure out how many times their team won the pennant were when their divisions or something. I don't know, it's too late now anyway. And then lastly, just real quickly, let's go ahead and look at the actual standings. Who do you guys think right now is going to be in your World Series?
Speaker 3: In the World Series, the World Series.
Speaker 1: Winners for both sides, So you got the in the NL, you got the Dodgers, Brewers.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't really against the Dodgers at this point, Like I just don't see. They're like it's going to be the same playoff teams they beat last year, and I don't again, anything can happen in a short series, but I don't think the Phillies have enough pitching. The Phillies are still starting Aaron Nola in one of these I guess in one of these games, probably the Brewers. I don't think the Brewers would get swept, but again, I just don't know how they're pitching staff Bears in a short series where they get to, you know, where they have to match up.
Speaker 1: Maybe Woodrow throws eighty two. Yeah, and the unlocks. Uh, I mean the Brewers starting miss Rasky and Harrison. I feel like I'm more comfortable with that one too, sure as it currently stands, and certainly last year, but yeah, past that, you know.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers appear to have an actual this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Dodgers are having like the most competent normal regular season they've had in a while.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they're going to win like one hundred and three games probably.
Speaker 3: This ship seems steady, which probably means they'll lose in the playoffs. But yeah, look, it's any reasonable look at the standings, you got to pick the Dodgers. I will I will take the Brewers just out of the y will eventually happen.
Speaker 2: I think if that happens, though, it's going to be like we need the Dave Roberts leaves shoheo tani and for too long and Alec Parlson has a three run home run and tribute to Matt Carpenter or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not saying that guy were necessarily beat the Dodgers, but that's.
Speaker 2: Left at the end the end. Yeah, braves don't have enough pitching.
Speaker 1: Boy, you know, like three weeks ago, the Braves that have been so tempting and now they are starting, they they will get they will patch holes like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, they will be active at the deadlight. I just don't know like they're starting. They're already starting. Bryce Elder and Grant Homes Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, Uh, they'll get swelling back at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like a.
Speaker 1: At some point. I'm not sure whether that uh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Michael Harris is cooling off a little bit, which is going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know Martin Perez or a check, it's three on the dog.
Speaker 2: It's Martin Prez is still doing it like Dom Smith isn't. Like Dom Smith's down to two seventy nine th seventeen four, which is like fine, yeah, it's also want to wait for Dom Smith, but it's not he's no longer like carrying the lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they have been able to keep their catchers healthy either, which has been well, why Joey Bart is here?
Speaker 1: It's still mad about the trade. I should write about that, I guess.
Speaker 2: So okay, So, I mean it's a really good bullpen, I guess if they get in. But yeah, I know I.
Speaker 1: Will begrudgingly go with the Dodgers as well. I would. I'm I would like to say someone else. I'm desperately searching for a reason not too, but I don't think you can come up with one. I think at least there are a good teams, right, at least you can, like if the Dodgers in the American League, this segment would have been over about five minutes ago, right, Yeah, So speaking in the American League, you have the Yankee forty eight wins, the Rays at forty four, Craig not here somewhere off just like bellowing into the night. Cleveland's so forty two, Chicago is at forty one, Seattle is it forty one? We're already at teams that are five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, very quickly, what do you guys think I.
Speaker 3: Would gonna be something the Blue.
Speaker 2: Jays, It's gonna be some. I just feel like I guess the chalk is the Yankees because they all have Judge back by then it's a really good front of the rotation. Although I'm Garrett Cole doesn't seem to like Gary called this just way, but Garrett Cole is now right. But yeah, they have enough pitching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I support in the lineup now they have supporting like that.
Speaker 2: Ben Rice has been basically Aaron Judge this year. So I just don't I don't feel it. I guess for the bit, I should pick the Rays. So I'm gonna pick the Rays and they qualify as as well. Chandler Simpson's warming back up. Y, Yeah, all right, rob Manfred, you got what you wanted going into a CVA negotiation, Brewers Rays. The economy of baseball is fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the Yankees they're just clear favorites at this point. They have the depth of other teams.
Speaker 2: They're not even that good. Is that that they do? They do The top of their roster is better than any other top of the roster.
Speaker 3: Right here, I could be talked into the Tigers if they make up.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 3: But I'll take the Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: I'll take you think they can overcome that three run, three win deaf sent under the Twins. The Twins first, my the the answer. I want my heart wants the Astros to pull this off. I don't even know why. I think it would just be scary for.
Speaker 3: That, I don't know Brown going every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, run in Peter Lambert.
Speaker 2: Peter Lambert, game teacher star here for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spencer Arraghetty just outruns his fip for the entire season. Yeah, it would be very good. Uh, it won't happen, but it'd.
Speaker 2: Be very good. God, these playoffs are going to be who do you even put in the the annual Raised Guardians one PM? Yeah, wild card spot? Is it just gonna it's me the Rais and the Guardians. There could be three series like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of like you do kind of hope for some Athletics White Sox nonsense.
Speaker 2: One of these teams, one of the Ales, either the AL Central winner or the AL West winner has to get a bye.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: So the Guardians might have to wait to play the Rays. It might be Raised Athletics INZAC Manta.
Speaker 1: And then we we you know, the Podres are technically in a wild card spot right now facing them. We talked about Cleveland, Cleveland Podres.
Speaker 3: What's the fewest runs the team has ever scored in a postseason series.
Speaker 2: It's the Raised Guardian. I'm pretty like that. Then they have that sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they won like two to one the night before ye two games swep before runs. Yeah, yeah, all right, number We'll go on the topic number two. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice, Jeff, with these in the docs, so we're gonna I'm gonna let him sell who we're supposed to be picking between on these.
Speaker 2: So I was looking into actual Rookie of the Year article, which I'm not gonna end up writing, but I'm repurposing for this because when I looked up mcgonagh one weather Hold, not only are they post on all your statistical metrics of choice, even up to an including war under the hood, they are almost a exactly the same player like every exit velocity marker, contact marker, damage marker, swing decision marker. Now McGonagall does make a little more contact and uh as a better approach Weatherhole is clearly the better defender at this point, very good defensive second basement. But my question was simply, and I've kind of already a little bit of addressed this in the end of Rookie of the Year, after the rook of the Year segment after Patrick trains the agenda, but basically, who would you want who would you want going forward out of these two guys?
Speaker 1: A well, surprise, mcgonagall's ISO is down to one.
Speaker 2: It's mostly like doubles. Actually, I should say he's not hitting as many doubles as I thought he would hit, which was like the home run rate. I think we'll get to like fifteen twenty home runs, but he's not heading as many doubles as I thought he would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I tipped my hand earlier. But I like McGonagall. There's something in my pattern recognition brain that places him more in the class of guys who have really figured out getting the bat to the ball and can later figure out an approach to occasionally get the bat to the ball way out in front to hit pull home runs. Like he feels like that type of guy that will add another level. So I would take him. I would not be stunned if weather Hold ends up being the better player, but I still like mcgonagall's ceiling a lot more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's funny because you look at their profiles and it really is like marginal stuff, but it's also marginal stuff that adds up. Like the his like weather Holds see contacts like eighty six eighty seven, which is very good. Mcgonaga's is like low nineties, which does make a difference when you know you're trying. If you're trying to you know, run the balance and sell out for a little more power, you've just got more to give back without you know, strikeouts creeping in or quality of contact decreasing like weather Hole. Weather Hoole pulls the ball up fair a bit, but it's like two percent less in the air, So it's just like enough that over you know, a six hundred at bat five hundred ball in play sample, like, it does start to add up around the margins, which is again why I think you're seeing like a fifty point spread in batting average right now. You have to like Weatherhole has weather Hold, This kind of just feels like what weather Hop will be until you know, whatever the athleticism goes or the bas fue Goes or whatever. Well, you could see McGonagall like he figured it out so quickly, but also you could see just him taking a year and just being like, oh, coming back next year and be like, Okay, I'm gonna hit twenty five home runs this year.
Speaker 1: Ye I'm gonna be that hitter instead.
Speaker 2: Give me that hit her.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It doesn't help that. I feel like every time that I see McGonagall, studies made some clutch hit to win it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he does come in like he feels more like he'll go over four were then have a two home run game the next day. Well, McGonagall just goes one for three with the walk every single game. So that's that aspect to it. Like, I don't mcgonagall's actually graded out better on the left side than I thought he would. I think they should still probably move in to second base long term once Glaber leaves, But they also are discussing this with some people yesterday or Tuesday, I don't remember. And just like, the Tigers have to fill three infield positions and he can only play one, and I don't know if they're able to find a short stop, so maybe you just him at shortstop. And live with and hope he can at least for a few years and hope he can basically battle it to a draw.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know where they're finding a second basement, a third I guess. I guess Jazz is a free agent. But the free agent class is terrible. They don't really have an internal like they've gone through their internal infield options, like it's not going to be Chase Young and or how you lay. I don't think t is done, Tween is gone, Hape Bias is here for another year.
Speaker 1: But it's true.
Speaker 3: Whether is Zach mckinstreet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they'll still be here as well. I'm pretty sure that fear might be looming.
Speaker 1: I guess between them, I'm gonna pick the guy with the walk great higher than the strikeout rate. Probably just is a nice safe outlet.
Speaker 2: All right, So our next one again, we talked about this little bit in MVP, but like Peak, her Armstrong or Andy Pyees, both have taken pretty big jumps this year. PA has more on the defensive side of though he is hitting better as well. PCA has been, you know, a legitimate NL MVP candidate. But how much we believe in this going forward.
Speaker 3: I'm one as a as a preference in those two and I don't really like PCA at the levels of which I should. I think the play discipline scares the hell out of me, but I think he has the other stuff to make up for it, whereas PA has does this thing where it's like two months he's swinging at everything and hitting everything, and two months he's swinging it everything and has a zero seven to five batting average. I mean, it's really PAHZ feels like a poor man's Michael Harris the second to me, which is obviously not the level that I think PCA can be better than that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I cannot believe the PCA has a nine point three walk percentage right now. He's the three sixty six a weep. It can't hold up. Like he does not have a plate discipline to support that.
Speaker 2: He's like he's just swinging less basically this year, like lesson he's still chasing, and he's swinging more or less in the zone, which is not normally what you'd want in this scenario. But like he is hitting the ball harder. But there's nothing here to me that says like this is real, Like none of the under Like there's a lot of blue going to red on the savant page where everybody but like squared up percentage still like blue Chase dark blue with blue Kay Again, they're all better than they were last year, like he is. His whiff has gone from twenty third percentile to twenty seventh, his chase has gone from second to eleventh, but his walk has gone from fourth to fifty third. Like it doesn't it seems like a weird sequencing thing.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, he's he's like ninety fifth percentile on on zone percentage. Like they just don't throw them strikes. So I guess if you're just gonna stop swinging at strikes, it's good that they aren't throwing that many to begin with, right. I don't know if that holds up, But you know, we were talking about Bryce Harper early in the year and how he was suddenly getting strikes and now he's down to you know, like the second lowest zone rate in baseball.
Speaker 3: You like PCA. In fact, I bet there will be an article about this between now and the All Star Game that everyone will memory hole within a week. But it feels like he's taken Alex Bregman's advice without the eye to do he's supposed to do with that, but he's still got the physical talent that it works out fine anyway. But yeah, he's he's doing this like more he's trying to impose patience upon himself without the actual discipline or not discipline the nuance of his eye to to make hay with that.
Speaker 2: But you know, yeah, like I assume this had been like usually when you see this happen, it's a guy that without like an actual swing decision improvement, they're still chasing, but they're just fouling more stuff off and eventually, but he's not. I was zone contact is almost exactly the same as I was last year. Like, there's no reason for Milwaukee in this much.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take Pca just because the other reason Paties is a year older, which the single year doesn't seem like me much.
Speaker 2: But it actually does. I mean, I think that's right. I just don't. It was interesting to because I'm looking at this like PCA has clearly been the better player this year, and I could back he might have been the better player last year even with the bad second half, because Piees was like good but not great, but like I don't believe it, Like this is one of those things where it's just like the vibes are off, like yeah, like I don't like the Harris is obviously having a good season this year, but he had two really bad ones before this, Like yeah, so like could Pca like have that kind of like we just falls off a cliff the next year. By that, I mean it's like ninety seven ops plus with good center field defense, but it isn't carrying your lineup and then just pop with up one of these seasons when he's twenty seven, Yeah, probably, I think Pies will like really be more consistent, but just fall off. Yeah, sooner, like he's going to be a right fielder DH by the time he's like twenty nine probably yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And he doesn't walk either, like like he's he's got a three eighteen OVP Yeah yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Would you rather be David Stearns or Craig Bresla.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to tackle this today because I'm gonna have to write about this David Peterson trade. We'll talk about in a little bit. I don't watch the Mets, and I think that's very Yes, I think it's a very wise choice. It makes it very hard to understand what's going on with David Peterson, whose the area is like double his FIP at this point. Yeah, but it feels like that with every single David Stern's move, Like with Craig Breslow, every time he does something you shout at the TV immediately, and every time David Sterns does something you nod approvingly, and then it goes terribly wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I actually think the phrasing of the question matters. You said, who would you rather be? Yeah, I think I would rather be Craig Breslow because at least, yeah, my actions lead to reasonable consequence and I'll probably be put out of my misery soon. David Sterns. It's like, if if you phrased it, who would you read there have as your team's executive That would take David Stearns by a mile. But like, because I was in support of pretty much everything David Sterns did, I thought that all made sense. Some of it was obviously risky, but in a way that teams do all the time, and it just has all gone splat, And so, yeah, I feel like David Stearns is in this weird situation where he's taking on the brunt of what might just be a weird black cloud hanging over city Field, and Craig Breslow has his at least, you know, he had the giant cloud machine out and put the cloud over Fenways, so he's in control of his own fate.
Speaker 2: It's very funny too, because it feels like Breslo is the guy the Mets will have to hire if they panic, because that's how Bresla ended up getting that job, basically like that, Yeah, I don't know who it would be. I don't know who the Craig Breslow is right now, but I don't know who's taking that Mets job. Yeah, I just I don't think Stearns is getting fired, although it keeps getting I just I think there's too much. There's been too much stuff in the Mets executive suite over the last decade. So they finally got somebody like what is Steve Cohen going to go higher corn ferry and go get a corn ferry because he's not like who's he going to pick? But I do think there'll be changes coming.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Bresola feels like he could just like Boston, so Breslow as a sort of Steinbrenner ish as so as soon as the sign better traits that Cohen gets attributed, which I don't think are entirely accurate. The Red Sox front office. Red Sox ownership is the ones that like well immediately, and they do it for different reasons than Steinbrender did. It's more to like protecting Sime. BRender was legitimately just upset whenever they lost the game. The Red Sox ownership feels like, Okay, people are looking at us, time to fire the GM, Like, well, let's give them something else to talk about.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Red Sox are depressing. Mickey Gasper is the Meadoff man. I mean it is, the Mets are confounding. The Red Sox are just like, oh this is bad, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Red Sox, like I think if these if you had your the converse of this, if you had your pick up the job, I think you would definitely take the Red Sox job. Weirdly, just because like they have these like obviously Anthony's been hurt most of the year, but they have these good young players. You know, you can go build around early and totally in the rotation and like our ranger Swaz has been fine. I don't have all that contracts going to age. We can fine, like you should be able to, Like there's just more layups, Like you just need to go get a third basement. That's better than Caleb Durban, right, Like.
Speaker 3: Don't get absolutely hoodwinked by the Brewers.
Speaker 2: That Trevors is almost done. Yeah, like it does not feel it feels like you could do were there Like the Mets, I mean, you have one Soto, right, You'll always have one Sodo and actually you can move on from that, you know. The other I don't know. People like the chef might actually hit well enough that he opts out. Given the quality of the free agent class on the position player side, he can probably beat too. But I think it's like two seventy left on this deal after this year, Like I probably beat that, which would be I think good for both sides at this point. But the Mets, like if he's good enough to opt out, they're still going to replace that production. Right here, you have like McLean has been scuffling, but I think it'll be fine. You know, benja Ewing have been have like the normal like good prospect rookie transition season where they haven't maybe actualized all of their skills, but they're going to be like three win players, right, and then it's like, you know, they should be able to solve first base, Like firstly base is not like with someone other than Mark Biento's basically like Alvarez when he's healthy, has been a perfectly fine catcher. But it just it does as someone that has covered the Mets for fifteen years now, like I don't believe in the like the black cloud stuff, but like this year has been kind of confounding and that yeah. Actually, like no, they were just like bad at putting together a baseball team before and I caught up with them by the end of the season. Now they might actually be cursed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the Mets aren't even that old, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, they're not the young players for a.
Speaker 1: While on this you just decide to give up on him, yeah the doors thirty two. Otherwise, like nobody on this team is really like if Bishet moves on, you know, SODA's twenty seven and he's like now one of the oldest players on the lineup. Like I don't know, they seem as long as I don't look at them, they seem fine, but when it comes to the Sterns, I was thinking, just like, I feel like the Mets need to need to keep Sterns just to have some stability in the front office, the way that other teams have to reset the cap. Yeah, three years of one guy just to calm down so the next time you can make a rational decision. Yeah, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: And the other thing, And I talked about a lot with Jared on our podcast, but there really wasn't like, even with like perfect hindsight, there really wasn't an alternate path here, like just keeping McNeil, Alonzo and Nemo and have done it. Like Alonzo has been a eight hundred ops first baseman, which is fine, better than what they're rolling out, but not enough to make that McNeil's been terrible and Nimo has been frankly, probably worse than benja Ewing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was gonna say Nimo has probably he's been better than Semion, but that's only because he wouldn't have been the same with the Mets because he wouldn't have been playing He shouldn't have been playing outfield, Like It's.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons he waved his no trade is they wanted him to play Jace Morning you wanted to keep playing the outfield. Uh, and then like the others butt like okay, they could have gotten Ryan O'Hearn instead of Jorge Polanco. Good. Yeah, again, like you're just not even like you don't do the peralta trade like Froten Williams aren't helping you. You still have to like fill those innings and you're all the pictures you've rolled out there, like what picture are you signing? Yeah, I guess Michael King if you don't, if you don't find playing third base like even yeah, I mean Bellinger is the one right like you and they were around. Have you gotten Bellinger and Schwarmer, Like you can look at this and be like, oh, but that gets you closer. I mean, Bellinger's been very good, but again, the replacement level here is a j ewing.
Speaker 3: It's not replacement level, and Bellinger might not be as good in that park.
Speaker 2: Ye, right, so as that too, you know, even I mean, if you get Bellinger and swar whether you're a five hundred team right, like it's oh yeah, and that's maybe enough to make a run second half, it's better. But like that's and that's the perfect kid sight Like, it just wasn't like they didn't get a step forward. So the guys they need step forwards. And they maybe shouldn't have been making on some of them, but you know, I think they something like Lindor and Soto have played like ten games together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should know it.
Speaker 2: I put it in around the horns if we're out about it. But I guess we can do it here like priscoal and Door is just back ye yep, Yeah, they just like know he had played three rehab games. I don't think he played it back to back and then you just played the second game the double dder.
Speaker 3: Yea's what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess like that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But where we are, well.
Speaker 1: The Mets are at that point of the season where they're just sick of everybody that's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still mine running more.
Speaker 1: You said, we're just we're just sick of him. We just need to not have him beyond the team.
Speaker 2: Uh and now one specifically for Patrick, but you know going forward, would you rather be the Rockies or the Royals?
Speaker 1: Royals? Next section, well, I want to see the Rockies develop a picture please, Yeah, until they do that totally, Like it's like the first thing on the driving test, can you can you pull your pull into traffic? Right?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Great for Antonio sense of telling. Victor Voonmick has a seven point zero six y R right like your closer has a seven e arra. I don't think.
Speaker 2: They've make the moves they've made around the margins have like mostly worked out. I mean I'm talking mostly. I'm talking about like Troy Johnson and t J. Rumfeld. But like they seem to be able to identify that kind of player in a way the previous Rockies administrations were not, or they the Rockies administrations shot higher and like you know, they got like Nolan Jones for a year and that just fell apart. I look at it might for.
Speaker 3: T J.
Speaker 2: Rumfeld and Troy Johnson, but it feels like they've had to do less. There's takes less effort to get this kind of production.
Speaker 1: It's so easy not to lose one hundred and twenty games. It is.
Speaker 3: In fact, I will, yeah, I will counterpoint that the Royals are getting stressful to me in the Angels way of oh, they really don't don't know what to do. In addition to Bobby wit Junior like the the other like, it's great that Jack Kaglione has started to figure things out. That's a huge development for them. I just, oh, what are we doing with Nick Lofton and Isaac Collins.
Speaker 1: And literally gets plus every year for the rest of the job.
Speaker 3: What was it get John Rave or whatever? Like? Who is whoever plays the outfield for them? Is just like it's not even that they turn into a pumpkin. They only buy rotten pumpkins for the Mike Field.
Speaker 1: M J. Melynd Is is good enough to start at the h for the New York Mets. It must have been all right, Yeah, they it would be nice to see them develop somebody who isn't like a high first round pick, right.
Speaker 3: I just worry about the Royals that like their big show of force last year was signing to thirty four to thirty five year old pitchers for longer. It's like this is they already hadn't work out that well.
Speaker 2: And I do fine, Yeah, the pictures they just can't. Yeah, their farms just some remains very bad though. The Rockies isn't great either. Yeah, And I think the argument for the Rockies is they have confident executives from twenty twelve, which they've never had before. Now, I don't know if that gets them the upside past the Bobby Witt Royals. But I also don't know what the Royals are gonna do different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the argument for the Rockies is that they made a regime change. In the Royals, we're still on Dayton Moore's underlings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean we've we've hit we've hit the late miguilerbre years of Salvat repairs. They're just gonna play them every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even though they have the two forty six OVP Jensen Carter Carter, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They probably could name Jensen Carter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Carter Carter like a baseball player than Carter Jensen. Now that it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess the Brails advantages are also in the El Central.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is that does help not having to stare up at the Dodgers forever. All right, let's go ahead and take a break and we'llcome back to the show and finish the rest. All right, welcome back. We're on to segment three. A farewell to arms which is a better novel than the sports writer. Uh. First, we'll start with every Cubs pitcher. If you are a Cubs pitcher, you may want to, you know, find a safe place to hide because every one is getting hurt. Their rotation currently I think is, uh, it's Boyd back. I don't think Boyd's he comes back tonight. Okay, So as we're recording, the current rotation is Ray and Asad I think, And then that's literally it. There are three pictures in the rotation.
Speaker 2: They have added two.
Speaker 1: So well, so we will get to there. They've added pictures. I don't know if they're starters. So yeah, Edward Cabrera, he is on the il Ben Brown, I can't remember what the injuries were covering Like everybody else, I feel like it's been it's been a real hamstring year. And then you know, put in the dock house and can they make a trade, And the answer was thirty minutes after.
Speaker 2: In the should they make a trade? And then I got the betification they traded.
Speaker 1: And the trade is David Peterson for Cole Mathis Peterson. He had the ninety d R A minus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, look, I do think Peterson has been a little unlucky this year. I don't think he's been enough unlucky to want him in your starting irritation.
Speaker 1: I mean the reaction every Mets fan I saw. The reaction was, oh, we got somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then this came out. I'm like, like, what a ball reliever with interesting rates are they going to get for twelve starts of David Peterson? And I guess you're paying the premium to get actual She's probably more in twelve starts. You're getting fourteen starts of David Peterson instead of ten starts of David Peterson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy, that's fan. Yeah, and you get more starts of David Peterson.
Speaker 2: Look, the Cubs literally needed a body, and I don't know how many teams would be willing to trade it, like a current starting pitcher on.
Speaker 3: Do you think there was a premium that David Peterson could literally.
Speaker 2: Get on across the cup house. Yeah, he'd be he could start to pitch last but yeah, like, yeah, you can just get on the plane. They don't have to worry about like travel or any that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird. The man meets a flock yep. Yeah, I mean like, no, he's not striking. He hasn't struck out matters in a while, right, and that would seem to be he used to strike out, like you know, average amount in like last three years has been twenty, twenty and twenty. Yes, that's not going to get it done when you walk nine or ten.
Speaker 3: His sequencing seems to be at all times exactly what the other hitters think it's going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, my favorite, like Peterson had the good second half and what twenty four, No, it was before it was twenty his first like good part. I think it was twenty two. I think I don't remember. He had one season where like basically his slider was getting a forty percent with right and then Jeremy Haffner told him to change his shape so he gets spot it in his zone more and everything went to crap, like that just didn't work, Like you need good guys to chase your slider. It was like the shape change and getting hit a lot harder and missing fewer bats. And like he's shown I saw a Lance Perdowski sweet it was based like oh the Cubs traded for a cut ride fastball guy that needs a sweeper, Like I'm shocked, and like basically like yeah, there's there is a he's never He's always pitched like the sinker ball where he was in college and never pitched like a modern starting pitcher with that arsenal. They never added like he has a curveball. The sider is good, but he needs something like slower than the slider but harder than the curve that he barely throws. It would be a sweeper and he has the armslot for it, and he just needs to throw his forcing up in his own is like it's not a good pitch, but it's better. Yeah, and his sinker especially is going against righties, and said he just throws a not particularly good change up, like it's not a bad change up, but it's like a forty five change up too much. I don't know if the Cubs. The Cubs are just looking at this like, oh, we know what they do with this, and they will just let David Peterson David Peterson instead of I think making the fixes here.
Speaker 1: But it's never what they've done with the other.
Speaker 2: Every other pictures they have. Yeah, but I did not think like Cole Mathis. Look, he's hurt all he's been hurt basically since his junior year of college. But to get him out of a system that is very bad and not particularly deep. I think is good. It is amusing to me. The David Peterson, like in his Monday press availability is that we need to reevaluate like our injury tolerance and then immediately trades for like the guy that's been hurt since his junior year of college, but like he might legit like it's a legitimate major league bad at first place, which is why we're all end up, which is not something i'd expect you to yet for two and a half three months of David Peterson.
Speaker 1: Is this is this the Mets signaling that they're packing it or is this just like we can't turn down this price?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's more that. But they are going to pack it. They're going to pack it in. But I don't think that isn't it? Yeah, this isn't it. Yeah, it's well, I think when they start trading the relievers more than once, like Brooks Railey goes, I think you'll know for sure or if they deal Peralta. I assume they're gonna hold Peralta pretty close to the deadline because of Scooble lurking as well. But what. I think that once they start trading the relievers, that's when y'all.
Speaker 1: As somebody who likes to write ta's because it means I don't have to think of the topic three times a week. We've been this has been a light year for transactions. I feel like, is that is that my head just because.
Speaker 2: I I feel like we.
Speaker 1: Just haven't had many interesting moves, Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like this is interesting moves by this time or did we just get spoiled by the dev's chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess there there is that, but then there was like, I don't know, I'm trying to think of what the other ones are.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's fairly early in the season, but that was also like five years ago. Now I go back and look, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I can't tell. I mean, because we've had more injuries this year, you would think there would be more scrambling like this, and instead it's just.
Speaker 2: Been every team signing Austin's later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's been too Austin's later playing for fourteens at the same time. Trying to tell you, but it's just weird. I don't know, It's probably just me. I just feel like my expectations are off. Next on the doc, Mick Abel is having elbow surgery. He has undergo his second setback each time he seems to apparently be doing well in his rehab and then having a set back. So now he's having anthroscopic surgery, not reconstructive surgery. He's they're going to look around and figure out why he can't heal. The Twins certainly are a baseball team.
Speaker 2: That's fighting for a playoff spot, STUF.
Speaker 1: Fighting for a playoff spot. Let's see where they are on the old playoff odds right now. You guys want to give a guess what loads what do you think?
Speaker 2: Coda liked the Twins too much coming end of the season, so I still like the Twins too much. I'm gonna say there's a lot of teams here probably must have liked whatever I'm thinking about this too much. Twenty seven.
Speaker 3: I'll say twelve percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good. Zach is, Yeah, they're they're about the Royals below the Tigers or the Jays are looking for starting pitching. This is uh. We could have pasted this into the doc for literally.
Speaker 2: Ross Atkins specifically, they are looking for, say.
Speaker 1: Pitching yeah, let's see what is there. I mean, they're get they got Pever back and he did not look sharp. Let's see what else they think. I mean Gosmin and uh yeah, Like the top of the rotation has been fine.
Speaker 3: I think it's been very good, very good. Even like has been good.
Speaker 1: Good. Savage is like Dieri weirdly hates your Savage. I'm not really sure what's going on. It's a small sample, but he's one.
Speaker 3: He has not thrown a ton of strikes since he.
Speaker 1: And he's giving up a lot of fly balls, which.
Speaker 2: He's gonna do.
Speaker 3: But I think he'll be fine in his own way.
Speaker 1: Dylan Cees, of course, has been like just on the getting into that. Yeah, it's a young conversation.
Speaker 2: We were well, yeah, like.
Speaker 1: There's a big Patrick corbyan big flashing Patrick Corban in the rotation. I think as long as Patrick Corbin's in your rotation, you are obligated to keep saying to join a rotation.
Speaker 2: It's really shocking to me that you know, they're getting this incredible all star season from Ernie Clement and they can't put it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well they're getting an all Star season for basically every single year the team.
Speaker 3: They are, they're just the twenty fifteen Royals, which they really are. They're going to the World Series.
Speaker 1: Luckily we do have the two the runoff now, Yeah, like if we didn't have a runoff, this would be an actual annoying story. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I sent a bandwagon about Ernie Clement like moments before we've recorded this podcast. Uh, it's just like this is not really about Ernie Clement so much. This is just about like we enjoy the specter of someone beating the Dodgers, and Ernie Clement was the one who came the closest.
Speaker 1: He's a an aesthetically fun hitter, right, he swings at everything he like, Ernie Clement feels like he's the he can't keep getting away with it brother. Yeah. Yeah, uh, there's some there's some x S tininess here in the profile. I feel like, just annoying. Yeah, but the annoying hitter he can't you know, he just fouls stuff off.
Speaker 3: You just can't go scootero or something, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so and and sure, there of course is back sasms. So I don't well, we'll see like he feels he apparently he feels fine. His arm feels fine. Everything feels fine except the part of the body that happens to keep him for pitching at any given moment in time. This is how old age works. Ye, at least he's not justin Verlander, who is less optimistic, you know. So Sure's there's like, I'm fine, stop talking to me about this. I will pitch tomorrow. And then Verlander's like, yeah, it might be dying. Maybe this was all a huge mistake. I could be at a beach.
Speaker 3: Both need to hang it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, then whatever they want to do, it's not hurting me. Kodi Singa is in the bullpen. Sure.
Speaker 2: I Also, I also wrote that before if they created David Peterson, that still holds.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I think David Peters, I think, I think is about to be in like an angel's uniform or possibly the padres or something.
Speaker 1: This is another one where I have just chosen not.
Speaker 2: He doesn't throw as hard as he needs to anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he has a career three point sixty three.
Speaker 2: Or it was under three before, she was under three before.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, let's see, he's still strikes. He can't, he's not throwing strikes and he's giving up our runs. So like you know if you do both of those things.
Speaker 2: That's right. He's not throwing as hard. Hitters aren't chasing the forkball as much, and everything else he throws it's anywhere near the zone, it gets crushed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's the forkball with nothing to support it. The spliff finger like the lead spliff finger pitch. It feels like it's the most cliff like falling off a cliff profile a pitcher can possibly have. I feel like we just keep saying it over.
Speaker 2: And also hasn't been healthy for the last like thirty months.
Speaker 1: Right, And finally, Carlos Grasco is fate.
Speaker 3: Which team was he on? Would you like to guess, Zach which really was he on the Braves?
Speaker 2: Yes, he was on the.
Speaker 1: He's be fade by the Braves I think seven times this season already. Yeah, he is just he has just got a motel on the edge of town.
Speaker 2: I just I put this in here because I'm sort of like in contrast to the surez Aer and for Lander's stuff, where obviously, uh, Crosco was not as good a picture as them, but he was quite a good pitcher in his day. Like we, Crasco is a guy that he can keep pitching like nothing is hurting him despite his age. But it's just it's but he's like he just keeps like he just shows up to the job, like he shows up to Gwinnette when he needs to, he shows up in Atlanta comp County when he needs to, and yeah, he's gonna do this for a while.
Speaker 1: It is like from a player standpoint, like it's not good that this exists, right, like this this weird, like this digital you know, tale of the forty man roster. Uh, but also like it's very funny that the Braves are the ones that just keep doing it. We have Jesse Shan and now we have a new Jesse Shavist, and there'll be another Jesse Shavis beyond that. Like it's a gross thing momentarily and a cool thing esthetically.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, they're doing it with veterans instead of with like eighteen with what it does one veteran, one singular veteran instead of eighteen different guys who shouldn't be in the majors.
Speaker 1: That is true, And Carlos Carasco is getting to choose this. He's he has chosen this life. Yeah, so sure, you know, and if he didn't choose this life, he would be just retired because he's thirty nine, and it's just funny. And also, like I know I've seen this argument online I can't remember where, but like he shouldn't though, right, Like this shouldn't work because somebody should be claiming Carlos Grasco. You would think the Cubs, who don't have any pictures, would just pick up Carrasco on one of these things. Uh, it's clearly just you know, backscratching going on here, right, because the Cubs would be a better team with Carlos Carrasco than without.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: He's a competent starter, he's a strong He's got a three six eight y right this year. I don't know, like all right he is he is striking up three point seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna keep keep keep scrolling right on the reference.
Speaker 1: He's also walked like one how many he has walked? One batter four two thirds in things. I don't know. It just feels like like there there are certain players that just keep passing through waivers that there are teams that would be improved. I don't know if Crasco is this person, but I feel like you know, and this has been true of baseball forever, right, Baseball has had gentleman's waivers for hundred years now. I guess it's just more that it feels more weird for that to still exist in the hyper efficient modern era.
Speaker 2: That we're in where gets claimed five times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know it could. It's obviously it's just me. So we'll go around the horn, which we were already kind of around the horn. We're going to keep going around the horn. Were second trip around the horn. Craig Countcil had a bad week or a bad day a couple of days ago. He got ejected for arguing about Pete Armstrong getting caught stealing on a walk.
Speaker 3: It was it was weird.
Speaker 1: It was weird. So so everybody has a feeling about this. Obviously counts out the feeling with this, and I'm curious what your guys are feeling about this. So essentially the situation is that Armstrong Charmstrong started running on a three to two pitch. The picture was a ball. Armstrong slid into the base, reached the base, the tag was applied, he came off the base, and therefore he was out because he had touched second with therefore finishing the freedom of his walk. How do you feel.
Speaker 3: I think this is a spirit of the rule, letter of the rule thing, and they should just change the letter of the rule to match the spirit of the rule, which is you should only be eligible to be tagged out in that situation, especially now with all of the like replay and challenge things that could happen. You should only be able to be tagged out in that situation if you actually make a move towards the space like it is at first, if you run through the face. That should be the it the way it is legislated. It's not, so, you know, the met's made a really I guess astute if annoying challenge uh and one. But yeah, they need to change.
Speaker 2: The letter of the rule. Yeah, definitely, they need to completely like change the way they handle like once you establish contact with the base. I think this is all akin to the you know, the pop up side where.
Speaker 1: You're focus of the transfer rule.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah that yeah, like we can we can just yeah, just like we're like Rob Manford will shove anything else through, but he won't change, like you want to pace a play. Stop having reviews at second base every time a guy can stop of a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got it, And we get to the playoffs and then like all of these things get ten times more annoying than they already because they all matter, right, Yeah, I hate it. I personally hate it. I think you should have to get up and start running.
Speaker 2: I don't have a num about get up and start running, but you should have to like go past the bag. I think, right, you should.
Speaker 1: You slide takes you entirely if.
Speaker 2: You try to do like the slide around it and you like reach back with your hand and come off like five. But like if you're just sliding into the base normally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't ever want to have to use the replay camera to measure microns. So yeah, Craig Council, you're right, you should have gotten mad dance Pat Swanson uh got eleven RBI in one day.
Speaker 2: That's why it didn't matter that Craig Council, or that.
Speaker 1: He raised his OVP by like seventy points I think.
Speaker 2: Sixty points in one day absolutely, which.
Speaker 1: Is an indictment on his previous ops. But Dancey Swanson's thirty two he is like just on pace for another four and a half win season, like this is maybe one of the most successful free agent contracts.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you still don't feel great about it.
Speaker 1: Like defense, it's all defense, uh, and yet like he's a league average hitter who like.
Speaker 2: He's got a little he's the league average hitter. Now he certainly wasn't.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like it's I it's weird. We're in year four, we're already more than we're exactly halfway. We're exactly halfway.
Speaker 2: It's one of them, Like it's it's funny I have talking about the Cubs like it's worked out fine, and also it just like wasn't enough when they did it, Like they just like like they signed a shortstop for a one hundred and eighty million dollar contract and it's worked out pretty well, and it's just like hasn't really mattered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah interesting. There's teams though, like there you know, just you know, imagine just not having to worry about shortstop for six years, right, Imagine the Tigers it's just been like, Okay, we don't have to deal with this, just fest string hole in our lineup for the we don't have to worry about.
Speaker 2: I mean they thought they did when they signed by it.
Speaker 3: Was that class was that was dance as Bias.
Speaker 1: I feel like Bias was earlier.
Speaker 2: I think it was Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Wasner Is like a deal but uh, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, Bias was during the first time the Tigers thought they were at the end of the rebuild. Yeah, it's a while ago now, and yet it's still going another Carlos Santana has been dfaied for the first time in his career at the age of forty one. He gets traded sometimes, I don't only twice, but this is forty.
Speaker 2: This year he signs a lot of one year free agent d esopetally.
Speaker 1: Signs a lot of years, but he also like plays him out right, usually remarkably healthy. This year he has not been remarkably healthy. He only played eight games. He was on the it was he on the sixty year was only in the fifteen. Either way, he was injured for a long time. And the moment he stopped being injured, he's stopped being a baseball player because he was hitting eighty three before that happened. Uh, this is probably the end for Carlos Santana, who had the thirty seven win career.
Speaker 2: Yep, he is wow.
Speaker 1: Thirty eight point eight. But that that's you know, yeah, yeah, and he belongs in the great pantheon of guys who caught and you can barely remember them catching. Yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 2: A real credit to a career liked zeal Award. Yeah, yeah, I mean Victor Martinez, who also had some similarity to Carl Yeah after your same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Aer, your Reba has decided to serve his suspension h.
Speaker 2: The cross shopping they had like a month ago.
Speaker 3: Wow, did they waited him like three days in a row.
Speaker 1: For four and four days out of five and then thought, okay, now I feel contrite. Yeah, I'm tired enough to apologize this. This is some spirit of the law.
Speaker 2: How does it take a month? Again? Like I feel like they usually trend these around a lot quicker.
Speaker 3: Yeah they forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, maybe maybe they just forgot about it. We're hoping they never forget about it. Yeah, and then Linda War's back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see how that works. Well, SOA is dealing with a back spasmma zone or oblique something.
Speaker 1: So all right, So that's gonna move us on to a game. We're gonna play twenty grid Zach, are you familiar with Trenty grid.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is now, all right, so what this is?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna send this in to our group chat. Well, I'm not gonna send it our group chet, just put.
Speaker 2: It in the chat in here, Craig.
Speaker 1: I don't know. If I don't know, if I can pay, I can.
Speaker 2: Find you can just send it to me separately.
Speaker 1: I will just send it to you separately. So I'm going to send this. This is a screenshot of immaculate grid from a while ago. And what's going to happen is that each of you are going to go into the booth and you were going to guess the nine categories based on the three my three grid, but you are going to try to get the most popular answer. Whoever has the most popular answers out of nine wins. I will say this is a weird grid. It's a little more wide open because of that middle column. It will relate to the listeners here in a second. But I did get six out of nine when I did this, and I was very tired, so I think you guys can do it too, So we're gonna make exact to it first.
Speaker 3: Okay, am I saying this out louder?
Speaker 1: So what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna read them out categories and then you just give me an answer. So what we're looking at are the column are the White Sox having a ten home run season and having two thousand plus strikeouts in a career, and you have to have just played for that team at any point, I think the season you have to have done it in that uniform. For the career, you just have to have worn their jersey once and then also had that career. And then on the Rose we've got the Twins, Braves and Padres so fir Zach who played? Who is the most popular player to play for both the Twins and White Sox? Jim Tony all right, next Twins and ten home runs in a season.
Speaker 3: Harder than you're auld thing? Harmon Killerbrew, Harmon killer Brew.
Speaker 1: Okay, next Twins and two thousand plus strikeouts in a career.
Speaker 3: Difficulty level impossible. I'll take Ooh, Johan Santana, did he make it? I don't think he did.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna take that? We're gonna say it. It doesn't all right? Braves and White Sox. Chris Sale, Chris Sale, Braves and ten home run seasons. Hank Aaron Braves and two thousand plus strikeouts.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is easier, but I'm still trying.
Speaker 1: To put oh, by the way, on this grid.
Speaker 3: I think regularity of people will say Greg Maddox.
Speaker 1: Okay, on this grid you can use the same name twice if you want, because things can. Although when you're doing most popular you know you gotta worry about it because the players can only do one. Yes, Padres and white sox.
Speaker 3: This such a weird combination.
Speaker 1: Jake Peve, Jake pv. All right, next we're gonna do Padres and ten plus home runs, Manny Machado and finally Padres and two thousand plus strikeouts.
Speaker 3: Ah, Greg Maddox again, maybe okay, all right, that's all nine.
Speaker 1: That was the fastest grid we have ever done. Jeff's not even looking up because you can't believe it's already over.
Speaker 3: Do people usually expound on this for a lot.
Speaker 1: No, but but they aggon nice. These games often take a couple of minutes. Here we go, all right, Jeff, the quickest grid ever done.
Speaker 2: All right, I already even looked at it. I'm trying to keep it fair.
Speaker 1: That's fine, all right. So the first category is twins and white Sox.
Speaker 2: Right off the bat with the air I do not I do not like that. Jim Tomey al right.
Speaker 1: Next is twins and ten home runs in a season.
Speaker 2: Christ Joe Mauer, Joe Mauer.
Speaker 1: All right. Next is twins and two thousand plus strikeouts in a career.
Speaker 2: I don't think San Tanna got there, but like my options get I don't think Brad Radkey got there either. Burtly Loven, Burtlyleven, al right.
Speaker 1: Next is Braves and White Sox.
Speaker 2: Braves and White Sox. I'll go with recency and say Ronaldo Lopez, okay, sometimes to make the recent trade guy.
Speaker 1: Uh Braves and ten home run season, Hank Aaron, Yeah, you would think, wouldn't you. Next would be thankt with me Braves in two thousand plus home run or two thousand plus strikeouts. And this is when I reminded Zach that you can use the same name in multiple categories.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be Ronaldo Lopez.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. Ummm. Craig Maddox all right, Next is pod rais in White Sox.
Speaker 2: It feels like it's had a lot of crossover. I did my recency once, so I don't want to do Lucas Gilido.
Speaker 1: I wonder if there's any category which Lucas Gelido wins.
Speaker 2: Like, gotta be one.
Speaker 3: Probably is there a fell apart after his divorce column? I had surgery column.
Speaker 2: Well, Tommy John, some pitch for the.
Speaker 1: Tommy John's really feels like it should be immaculate.
Speaker 2: G recall it should be. Yeah, I just haven't. I guess technically now you have like the sleeve too, is there the is that Tommy John?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What is Tommy John nowadays? Reconstruction two UCL reconstructions? H I can bip Roberts in my head. I don't know. I can't get bib Roberts out of my head. Uh yeah, I'll say you Lucas Jilia.
Speaker 1: All right. Next, let's go with the Padres and ten home runs.
Speaker 2: This is famously the team would like the lowest mm hmm most career homers for that team. Manny Machiano, all.
Speaker 1: Right, And finally Padres in two thousand plus strikeouts.
Speaker 2: Greg Maddox, okay, all right. I wanted to Kevin Brown, but Patrick teed it up for me, and I don't know if he's working me.
Speaker 1: I might know, but I since I gave it to him, and I should have said it before it started. It is both of us, yea, and to the point because it is Greg Maddox. All right, so I'm going to put somebody in there for let's see, let's just put in j PB so I can look at the answers, all right. The answers are for the White Sox and Twins, it is Jim Tomy. For the twins and ten home runs, it is Kirby Pucket.
Speaker 2: You know, I almost said Kirby Pucket like that was my first and think I'm like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, maur and Killerbrew both got six percent of the boat Pucket gut eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next, for the twins and two thousand plus strikeouts, it is Burt bly eleven, with forty score of anybody pitched in my.
Speaker 3: Head, but I didn't know if people would think of him on the Twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I certainly thought of Johan Santana first, but I did pick bly eleven because I was like.
Speaker 2: I have two thousand k's. No, he does not, I didn't think. So who's second behind blyleven?
Speaker 1: Let's see, let me see if I can bring that up. Oh wait, let's see, there were twelve total.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not a lot very I'm not that older franchise. But also, oh man pulls up.
Speaker 1: I have to pull up the filter. Team Minnesota Twins get results. I am not a robot. I'm not logged in. All right, Well sorry, look it up yourself.
Speaker 2: Kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, uh next, Chris Sale for the White Sox and Braves. You poke out that one, right He both said hangharon and soda and I then he only got four percent of the votes somehow, Uh Chipper Jones, I don't I don't know, guys, But the Braves in two thousand strikeouts, it is Greg Maddox for the White Sox and Potteries. You guys both missed on. The big trade is James Shields although uh PD had twelve, Gilda had two. And because you missed out on it, that means you did not have Frank Frnanda Tatis Junior in your mind for the ten plus home runs. He was the lead on that one. And then Greg Mannix for Padres and Grapes. We are Padres in two thousand strikeouts, which means I believe Jeff wins four to three. He had the two Maddoxes, the Bly eleven, the to May and Zach had to May Maddox Madi No. Four to four you guys tie fail, yeah, Sale and he didn't have Sale, all right, So congratulations on failing to win. Both of you. We tied.
Speaker 3: It's it's appropriate with the World Cup, you.
Speaker 1: Know, all right, So thank you once again. Thanks to Zach for donating his time in wisdom with us today. Search up the Bandwagon newsletter to subscribe to his work, and thanks duty to listener for joining us from an episode of Five and Died brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast network. You can touch the show at Five and Died at Baseball Perspectives dot com or by publishing in a modern American novel about the alienated, wealthy white male struggling with his divorce and substituting baseball statistics for the whole in his meaningless life. Enjoy your own meaningful weekend ahead, And if you're waiting for the pod to be over for a time is now. I can't all the story about vacancy moving over? How can my most the fucking I would can be the answering the
Speaker 3: Older