Speaker 1: We're back here on another topic.
Speaker 2: Of course, today is going to be really diving into the markets, because as we are recording this, the markets are an absolute craziness right now. Many people would say, hey, the market is over sold. Some people say no, this is kind of the cycle that we deal with every day. So we wanted to get sal Gilberte coming in from two Grim awry, Sal, Nice to see.
Speaker 3: You, Nice to see you pull doing well, doing well.
Speaker 2: Interesting times, man, Well, some people would say it's the best of times, and it's the worst of times.
Speaker 1: If you look at the two.
Speaker 2: Different market signals that we're seeing. One of the biggest market signals that we have to take a look at, of course, is what's happening with the ETFs.
Speaker 1: And here we'll go.
Speaker 2: In and show something that I think is important. This is the Bitcoin ETFPO Bitcoin ETF says you can kind of see We've seen a variety, but this is a fairly significant an outflow strink right now. Thirteen days in a row, outflows totaling four and a half bill seventeen of the last nineteen trading days of ben alflows. This came from Jeff Seifert coming over from Bloomberg. When you look at ETFs right now and the activity that we are seeing, not necessarily with the xrptfs, but definitely with some of the bitcoin and even ethereum ETFs, do you think this is an extended issue that we're going to be facing or is this short term pain.
Speaker 3: I think it's short term pain. I think what we're seeing is just a rotation. Remember, Bitcoin and these ETFs are becoming mature instruments. They are accepted by Advisor's not you know, certainly, as bit wise has been saying pounding the table, They're not universally accepted by any means, but they are definitely mainstream, which means that you're going to have a rotation of money if you find a better use for your money and you don't see a near term change in direction. For instance, Bitcoin has been going down for a lot of different reasons, just a momentum flow. I'm not particularly worried about it. I do think that, you know, over time, Bitcoin's got to answer some of the questions about the quantum challenges that they face, and I think that that those are serious in terms of big money and long term allocations. But in your term, this is nothing more than rotation. You see it in stocks, and we see it in cryptos and asset class it's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing I think that's interesting to me is many people will try to compare these ETFs from bitcoin to the trading habits of the ogs, and you just can't. This is nothing like a bitcoiner that has been trading in the market for some time, where they essentially hoddle through almost everything. That is a completely different makeup of the investors that are going into these ETFs, and I think that's the one thing that people have a mismatch on in understanding why ETF volatility is what it is. The thing though, that is interesting to me is that the lack of volatility with some of the other ETFs, specifically to the XRP ETFs. Do you think there's more retail there or do you feel like, no, this is actually institutional selecting XRP as a completely different asset class than bitcoin.
Speaker 1: What would be your opinion?
Speaker 3: I think it's more retail still in XRP. I think that XRP has yet to be adopted on an institutional scale in portfolios via the ETFs. Now that's coming, Okay, you've got people announcing that they're doing that. Some of the treasuries are putting XRP in, but a lot of the treasuries are actually doing tokens themselves. And so I do think that it's important to realize that XRP is way behind Bitcoin in terms of institutional adoption at the ETF level.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and with that being said, you look look at because I was talking with an analyst just the other day and one of the things that we got into was what would be the potential because you're holding it I think one point one bill right now, could we see a five billion potential in terms of the roll ups on ETFs for XRP. And his statement was that he felt like it would be about five percent of the holdings of what Bitcoin and ethereum ETFs are doing. So you look at that, that's about one hundred and ten billion, again not excluding some of these exes, but that would be a pretty significant bump for XRP ETFs going forward. And if you're right that we haven't seen institutional moving into this yes yet, this could get very interesting in the coming months and years.
Speaker 1: One thing that is.
Speaker 2: Unique I think with XRP is what's going on with the XRP ledger, and I'll share this with you guys right here.
Speaker 1: This of course is the XRP.
Speaker 2: AVM side chain now live with r l USD. So now we have r l u s D as a multi chain expansion. This is good for Ripple in general because it does mean we're going to see adoption across I think a whole new set of smart contract bag big ecosystems. Is this good for xr Well, it's good for XRP anytime r l USD is being used. But you think this is good for XRP as an ecosystem, definitely.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's just part of the expansion of the ecosystem. So wherever it can be used and wherever the ledger can be used, it's just an expansion of the system. It's why adoption. It gets people used to it, and it gets it up and running. I think that that one of the things we all underestimated was the speed at which things would get up and running and in slaw and so as we as we move forward, as we get towards the end of the year and the TCC starts moving more your eyes transactions, Yeah, I think that that the underpinnings will come again. You know, the price isn't exactly corresponding with people's expectations, but the price is always right. And so for whatever reason you see rotation out of XRP right now, for that's short term money. I still think that's short term money and asset allocation on more retail level, just people going with what's hot. I do think xrp's over sold the charts. You know, you could do a lot of damage on the charts, and you can. You can pick numbers a lot lower than here, There's no doubt about that. But I know a lot of people who are already starting starting to talk about when they start taking stock market profits, when they start taking those exting risks off the table, they're going to reallocate that back into a crypto. And you know, we're in the XRP and bitcoin and a couple of other worlds, so that's what we hear about.
Speaker 2: But the reallocation, yeah, and that is definitely the rotation CCL that several people have talked about, and I would agree to a certain extent. The one caveat to that would be SpaceX because this is an ipo that we have not seen the likes of before could edge up.
Speaker 1: To a round two trillion.
Speaker 2: This could be a pretty major issue if we see retail rushing into this, because many people say that that's why part of why we're seeing some of the big Bitcoin price and Ethereum price, crypto price in general exiting is in preparation for some of these big IPOs. What happens if retail gets hosed on these things.
Speaker 1: That could put a bit of a damper. What do you think.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to put a bit of a damper on the whole macro market. I think you're exactly right. Some selling is happening in crypto for people to get some dry powder to buy into these IPOs. I think that IPOs of this size, when you look back at the very few times that they've happened, and I don't mean just a specific company size, I mean the amount of IPO money, the amount that i PO is, IPOs are demanding of the financial capital, the free capital that's out there when you when you have when you see that happen, and then generally six to twelve months later, you have a little bit of a of a problem. And a lot of that is because insiders, you know these the rules the way they are. Your money's if you if you go through an I P O, you have to generally wait six months as generally it's give or take with depending under circumstances, but you have to wait about six months before you can sell your shares. And you you know, especially the way they've structured SpaceX where the employees all participate, that's a lot of shares that are come going to free six months. Then you've got Anthropic going public. There's a lot of IPO demand for capital that will I think put a damper on any any markets, but particularly crypto because crypto is still you know, it's it's more spare money. It's not quo for money. Still it's and so I do think that people have to be extremely careful both with the IPOs and with what happens six to twelve months after these IPOs, and understand if they do cause a downdraft in securities prices, that is going to hurt everything. Okay, that always happens, but it's temporary, and you know, stay the course, especially with XRP. XRP has a use case. The things that have a use case, the things that are that are doing buybacks. The things that are that are either using the supply or diminishing supply, those are the tokens you want.
Speaker 2: To be Well, you're kind of alluding to hyperliquid, which we'll talk about in a minute, but to your point, you know, I'm showing something here from Sary your merit and what he's hitting on is this is crazy to me. Fidelity announced that it's making a space x I PO available to any customer with a retail brokenge account with two thousand dollars or more in the account. It used to be five hundred K and it's now two K. So you are essentially sucking up so much retail into these IPOs? Do they think and I look at this, I'm sure that the investment bankers have been courting a lot of these organizations out here in terms of these brokerage of trying to say, hey, we don't need this to fail, We're going to have to take in as much retail powder as we can to put this on the charts.
Speaker 1: Is this this just seems very dangerous? Sal What do you think.
Speaker 3: It is extremely dangerous. I think that that two things. One, they've lowered these minimums over the years because it's just easier and actually the infrastructure to allow smaller investors to invest in IPO's works. The other thing is IPOs used to be a bit of a frenzy, and we're seeing that with the spacexipo. Yeah, but it used to be a company needed more capital and it caught on for whatever reason, it was popular and it went to the market to raise capital. And I'm not saying this is the case specifically with SpaceX, but most IPOs nowadays they're almost a peak because what happens is these companies trade into private equity markets. They're marked higher and higher and higher, both both justly and perhaps a little bit bit inflationary from the PA side to make their books look good and get higher fees. And when they think they can't mark them any higher, that's when they go public. I mean the p market and the IPO markets. You know, back in the day, you bought an IPO, you were lucky to get it, and you were almost guaranteed to make money. Now it's very rare that you make money over the you know, the first six to twelve months and an IPO comes out, you might get a couple of positive days and then all of a sudden, they think tanks. And that's because the private equity guys have marked it up as high as they can possibly market and now they're selling it somewhere else, and they sell it to the.
Speaker 2: Pot well, and this this dumb just because of the size and the basically the gigantic nature of what this could do to the market is what concerns me.
Speaker 1: You've got the Dow.
Speaker 2: Right now hitting another gain plus eight hundred points on the day. That's as we're recording so highest level on record. I don't know, I understand why we're seeing these kinds of numbers. I'm still in a bit of disbelief that this market can continue at this rate. And I've thought that this is going to pull back more and more.
Speaker 1: But hear the Dow at fourteen hundred. Where do you think that this stops?
Speaker 3: So, I don't know. I know the trend is up. I know that the charts look terrific. I know that you know the trend is your friend, but I also know that a lot of stocks are not participating exactly. And you know you and I are experienced enough, Paul, We've been around long enough. This makes me really nervous. You've got to be in it, okay, but I think you have to be very, very careful. I think people like Warren Buffett, some of the bigger hedge fund managers. Myself personally, I've got a lot of cash set aside as a percentage of my portfolio, I have an unusually I'm unusually underinvested and I'm missing out. Okay, but I I don't want to say it feels frothy, because the charts do look terrific, especially on the down, but it does make you nervous and you do need to be careful here. And remember markets go down a lot faster than they go up, so people have no doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you see a potential waterfrawl chart starting to form in some of these assets, many people I think will be in a position one of disbelief and whether or not they can get out in time. And some of those yields are just absolutely get erased so quickly. The other thing that happens when these markets get frothy is when I start seeing products basically coming into the market where I feel the demand is diminished. What I mean by that is this right here, and that is bit mine now offering a nine and a half percent yield on new preferred stock. This is basically taking a page out of micro Strategy's book with their stretch asset.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about this?
Speaker 2: With what Bitman is doing, obviously the biggest debt holder of Ethereum, is this a good move?
Speaker 3: You know? I think that that the fact that they're issuing debt and can sell it good for them. I'd rather see them issueing securities because they can hold on during a downdraft, So debt's got to be paid. If if they get caught in a bear market after buying, okay, they still have to pay that nine and a half percent. They have serious cash needs, right that can get you into trouble. So, you know, I much prefer seeing these companies. It's all these treasury companies in particular selling stock on the rallies so that they have just plane cash. They don't owe anything to anybody, and they can choose to do with it what they wish and they can ride the down moves. It doesn't matter like the rest of us. But if you're if you have to pay your you know, your interest to your your shareholders, you may have to sell some one of those assets you acquire just to pay that interest during which.
Speaker 2: Is exactly what's happening with Stretch right now. In micro strategy, they're to get those dividends off the rate. Of course they are continuing to I think you know the negative position right now that micro strategy is in along with what's happening with Stretch is a bit concerning, especially for bitcoin. One thing though that continues to surprise me is while the bitcoin market and to a certain extent, some of the traditional assets in crypto are melting down, you have moves like this occurring, and that is Visa, MasterCard, Coinbase, Stripe. They're forming a consortium now to launch a new stable coin basically to rival Circle and Tether. I want to thank our sponsor today, and of course that is Uphold. If you are holding crypto right now and not earning rewards, you're essentially leaving money on the table. And the reality is in today's market, you need to be able to move instantly. That's why Upholds flexible staking is such a game changer. You can earn weekly rewards automatically on assets you already hold without a lockup. That's most important. You can sell any time. It's the perfect setup for anyone who wants to grow their holdings without losing their exit strategy. Download the Uphold app today and try it for yourself. But first of all, do you think there's going to be too many stable coins in the market and do you think they have a chance to be able to really take some market share away from the two power players?
Speaker 3: Functionally, I don't think there can be too many. I think that you know, people have used for their own stable coins, so fine, they does are going to be niche markets. I'm not sure if you can challenge the big ones. You know, they're just so ingrained in the usage it's going to be really hard for anybody to challenge them. And so, you know, and there have been several people, and I agree with them, who say, you know, the stable coin business is probably one of the greatest businesses ever invented. You take other people's money and you stabilize the volatility in the market, but you get to keep all the interest that that money earns. It's an astoundingly good business if you're the stable coin issuer. So look, stable coins are a little interesting facet of the market. I do think that they took away from people's you know, just look at XRP, right, everybody thought people would just buy XRP and deal with the volatility. Well, the way around the volatility is stable coin. So XRP doesn't become the value holder if you will, during the transaction. It just becomes the enabler of the transaction used for seconds. So it's a pure use case.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, pure use case.
Speaker 2: Well, you look at a couple of points right now, and this is in reference to gold and bitcoin, because I would.
Speaker 1: Say a lot of the XRP.
Speaker 2: Community aligns very good with.
Speaker 1: The gold community.
Speaker 2: That's not necessarily the same when it comes to the bitcoin community. Because right now you've got micro strategy down I think ten point eight billion facing its large largest unrealized loss. So six years of buying bitcoin, MicroStrategy is down seventeen percent versus what we've seen in gold, And I hate to say, is Peter Schiff right that gold has essentially become the new default asset versus US treasuries.
Speaker 1: If you look at the charts, it.
Speaker 2: Shows more people holding gold now than US treasuries. Where do you think this plays out for gold?
Speaker 3: I think people need to understand that assets are assets, and they're volatile. And I think people might be surprised that the pullback gold can undergo. If you look back to the seventies gold, you know, once gold blasted off after it got deregulated and we're allowed to trade it, it had an amazing pullback. I think it was something like seventy. I know a lot of gold bugs who've lightened up on their gold and they are waiting for a pullback. So, okay, I do think that everybody needs to understand an asset is an asset as an asset, and the T builds a T bill. Okay, T bills are going to stay pretty stable. They're backed by the US government. They got that ready return that you operate around. Everything else, including gold and bitcoin and every other crypto and every other asset including stocks, are going to be really, really volatile. And here's the deal, all right, micro strategies underwater. They have unrealized losses. So what it's just unrealized losses. They don't have to realize them. Their problem is the debt that they need some cash to pay off that debt. If your hold everybody listening to this poll has some XRP underwater, right, are you going to sell it? The loan. No, you're gonna hold on unless you're leveraged. Okay, if you're leveraging an audien.
Speaker 2: Don't you think the buyer of XRP is different than the than the current buyer of bitcoin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there was happening.
Speaker 2: I do, yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm looking at the gold chart here, sal and you're right. I mean we saw this pullback right here. That was October twenty one, definite pullback. This was an entry point that we did riding this up and then here we are essentially on a pullback from where we were sitting at. When you look at gold in general, what do you think about that as in terms of the kind of pullback that could be happening in the coming, say twelve months for gold.
Speaker 3: Well, let's understand that gold may be a safe haven asset. It definitely is, but all assets go down on the black days. Now, right, Let's say all these IPOs break the markets, you know, twelve months from now, the arcs just get exhausted and we have a monster pullback, and it happens in a few days or weeks. Everything's going to go down. People need to understand that everything's going to go down. Might gold go down relative relatively less than say stocks or some of the fringe cryptos maybe, but everything's going to go down. The point is what's the stabilizing asset in your portfolio? Right If you've got five percent gold, you're probably going to feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I think that's that's one of the factors right now that a lot of people are trying to figure out how do they versify? What are they diversify into. It's really a new mix of assets. One people or one one group of people have been who have been all in on crypto.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to more and.
Speaker 2: More of those who have started to diversify their asset base, which is good. They're going into ETFs, they're going into some securities, and it makes a lot more sense in general. Obviously, the news came out with Ripple coming into support with MasterCard.
Speaker 1: This was a big deal.
Speaker 2: And of course this changes things pretty dramatically because now you've got r l uc and.
Speaker 1: The XRP ledger.
Speaker 2: Potentially lining up with one of the biggest retail services companies out there.
Speaker 1: This is a big play. I mean, this is.
Speaker 2: Great for Ripple, could be great for r l USD. We'll see how this plays out. Granted, Mastercard's got to do some things. You know, from an infrastructure side, where do you think r l USD is in a year based on clarity going through? Okay, we get clarity, we get this onslaught of new products and services coming into the market. Where do you think our l USD is.
Speaker 3: I think there more are more will be minted than there are now. I mean, it's just it's look at Ripple. I say it all the time. They're disciplined, they're focused, they're just growing. All this market volatility we've just spent all this time talking about it doesn't matter that they're still going to grow the ledger, the use of that ledger and the use case for for XRP and everything around the Ledger. And that's what people need to remember. And I would caution everybody. Cash is an asset. Don't forget. Cash is an asset. If you're earning whatever you do in shorter long term three and a half percent or four percent or four and a half percent, that's okay, it's only opportunity costs. And as the market gets more and more frothy, you know, headed out the space with the space x I PO I think that that people need to understand it's ok to be underinvested and it's okay to miss out a little bit in order to be safe. What is the price you would pay to be safe? That's all it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last question I have for you today is the Clarity situation. Jamie Diamond has been very vocal on the issue of fighting to the end. As he said, what's your position right now on Clarity? Do you feel like we're close to getting this through? Obviously some very big deadlines coming down the pipe.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm not optimistic what I see in Washington, the paralysis I see. I'm just not optimistic on it getting done.
Speaker 1: I'm not so not optimistic.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look at the Clarity Act polymarket this morning, still holding at a fifty seven percent chance. That's on the week, guys. So we've seen a high right there of sixty four this last week, and then of course we're sliding slightly at around fifty seven percent.
Speaker 1: Why do you think do you think.
Speaker 2: It's just the you know, the the treachery landscape that we're dealing with in DC, or do you think there's something greater at work here in terms of the banks, and possibly even.
Speaker 1: The broader market.
Speaker 3: I think there's something greater. I think that that people are greed is overcoming everybody, and they're they're fighting for their own self interest, which isn't a bad thing, okay, but I just think that that the the stakes are so high that the entrenched tradfi people aren't going to give up easily. And Washington is so paralyzed and so dysfunctional all the time on things that need bipartisan support. Okay, that that I'm just I just call it me. I'm a pessimist on politics.
Speaker 2: Well, I you know, the more I talk with political political people, both lobbyists and many of the lawmakers themselves, I just it's a tough one for me to digest because at one point I felt like this was really an effort that was going to be unified, and you know, I think that the market. I felt like the market was very behind this, We had the administration behind this. Now you have such I think division between both parties, this of course being one of the big factors of that division is the Clarity Act and many of the things that are going to fall underneath it. But it really boils down to one thing, and that is will the lawmakers try to do something that's beneficial for the American taxpayers. And that's the problem I have, is that they don't seem like they're going to.
Speaker 3: They don't, and I do hope they do. And even a bad Clarity Act from multiple people's perspective, is better than none at all, because I used to work for bear Stearns, and he needs to say, we don't care what the tax policy is, even if it's bad tax policy. We just need to know what it is is so we can trade around. And that's what will happen here. If we don't get clarity and the Clarity Act pass, we're gonna have regulations that can change with the whims of each new administration that comes in. It's gonna be a disaster and it's gonna slow everything down. Okay, not gonna stop anything, but it is gonna slow everything down. And we already have clarity on XRP. Don't forget we already have clarity n XRP. That's a good thing. That's in the plus column for XRP.
Speaker 2: Last, actually, last question to you is hyper liquid. This is something that continues to explode. We've seen all sorts of major moves within Hype. It's been one of the bright shining stars of crypto in general. What is your take on hyper Liquid we've where do you guys stand?
Speaker 3: We're I like hyper I think that you know, I'm a supply and demand guy, and they take most of the fees they aren't on the platform and buy back the hype. So you know that that's a really good fundamental thing, and I honestly, I wish I understood it better because the only way that can sustain itself is for hype to continue going high is for the price I cogin and things don't always go straight up, okay, So you know we've seen that with every market we've ever traded, and so I like Hype, I like BnB. I like them for the same reasons that they There are incentives for people to use their their platforms and they they they they're incentives for those those tokens to be brought back. They're structurally being removed from the marketplace, and that's really good.
Speaker 2: Well, now you've got perpetuals coming into the US.
Speaker 1: Now this is going to.
Speaker 2: Be a I think a somewhat of a new market for much of the US traders who had to kind of play in the offshore markets in some cases, or you know, figure out ways around it to be able to deal with that. How much of an impact do you think that has on the traditional strategies of investors?
Speaker 1: Is it is it a big part.
Speaker 2: Or do you think it's primly from the pro traders.
Speaker 3: I think right now it's going to be primarily from the pro traders. The problem with the perpetual is it now becomes a twofold trade. It's a trade around the asset of whatever the perpetual represents, and it's an interest rate trade exactly. So supply and demand that goes out there, and I think it tends and I don't have the statistics on this, but I'm willing to bet that it makes up markets stronger and faster because as there's more denion for the asset, the interest rates also go up, and that should be self correcting because then less people can afford to participate. But you just seem to get these these snowballs of interest that happen so purpose are more complex. People think they're easy because there's no role involved there, not because of the interest rate component.
Speaker 2: In the Yeah, do you think warsh comes in and holds the line on just higher for longer, or do you think there's any risk of a rate a rate hike.
Speaker 3: I think they would be insane to hike rates, but the market is saying that they might. So now, the market is never wrong, But I if I were them, I wouldn't hike rates now. With energy prices as high as they are, the energy prices are doing the work that a higher interest rate would do. And so well, yeah, if the prices were to go back to pre war levels, you could make a case for them to hike rates. If the economy stayed as hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and you look at the real estate market, and we were starting to see dire signals in the real estate market that are showing some slow down, significant slowdown, especially when you see something like Florida, where we're based, slowing down for the first time, even though South Florida is kind of insulated, but it's a super unique market. But the rest of the coast of Florida we saw recessionary numbers. I think it was twelve point one percent of the real estate holdings in Florida had started reducing prices actively. That's a very recessionary You had a rate hike on top of that, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see a case for rate height, not with all the other factors that we have. Now understand the economic numbers the strong, you know, take real estate out of it. The economic numbers are pretty don healthy, amazing, and so they're in a bit of a conundrum, which means just sit there, just stop. What the markets do there? Work?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love the markets. Be the markets.
Speaker 2: SALGABERTI thank you so much for coming in today. We appreciate you stopping in.
Speaker 3: Always good for thanks.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys know what to do.
Speaker 2: Make sure and like and subscribe and we will catch you next time right here on the x RP pod.
Speaker 1: Take care,