Speaker 1: The paranormal, UFOs, monsters, mysteries. As you're listening to Talking Weird and now from a Kevin Deep in the northwards your host, Doctor Dean Bertram.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, greetings, or my fellow widows and widows, welcome to Talking Weird on the Untold Radio Network. I'm your host, Dean Bertram, and as always I'm delighted you've decided to spend the next hour or so of my life and your life with me, whether it is watching and listening live when we go out every Thursday night at nine pm, or perhaps you're watching or listening to it after the fact, where it's archived on YouTube and Facebook and x as well as the audio only version on almost every podcasts platform there is on this weird planet. Welcome, thank you for being here. It's wonderful. It's summer in the north Woods. My daughter and I are planting still so for some later harvesting things. We've got. Our chickens are going wow, loving this crazy weather. We're going to the lake. It's gorgeous. Summer always is, but summer always makes me think, particularly this time of the year, of the summer of the sources. Back in nineteen forty seven, where all of this whole, whether you want to call it a belief system, a reality, a delusion, wherever you stand on the UFOs on Flying Sources, where it all began. And it was literally seventy nine years ago this week, August twenty four when Kenneth Arnold had his first sighting. He had many sightings throughout his life, incidentally, but his first sight near Mount Rainier in Washington State, and that triggered the modern UFO era, the Flying Source era. And I can't think of anybody I would rather talk to about this tonight than our guest. He's an independent researcher, a multimedia specialist, and digital communication strategist. His work explores the cultural dimensions of anomaloust experience. Through his research, writing, and public presentations, he examines the ways folklore, religion, technology, media, and belief shape human encounters with the unknown. He is the founder of the Liminal Analytics Applied Research Collaborative and serves as Scholar in Virtual Residence at the Windbridge Institute. He's taught and collaborated with scholars, including Dianna Pasuca, on projects exploring animalistic or anomalistic I should say no animalistic, that's a whole other meaning anomalistic and cultural epistemology. He's published and collaborative work spans topics ranging from UFO belief and contemporary mythology to Latin America and folk traditions, including extensive research on Santamurta. And I'm delighted, so welcome back to talking with literally one of the finest thinkers in this very weird space that we're all interested in. David Metcalf, Greetings, very.
Speaker 3: Much, Greetings, It's great to be here again.
Speaker 2: Man, there's literally nobody I'd rather be talking to about this this week.
Speaker 3: I'm you know, I'm really this is great. So yesterday I did a presentation on Kenneth Arnold in celebration of the anniversary for the Anomaly Archives in Austin. And you know, this is awesome to be able to do two days celebrating and talking about and exploring this. Really the anniversary of, like you said, I mean, the beginning, the beginning of all of this when the name was named, right when the name was put down on this anomaly, And here we are today. We've got all the document releases and all that, and it all stems out of one man flying a clive private plane over some mountains in Washington. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's I wondered then, how many people would have thought this would have gone on for so long. I don't think even euphologers thought it, did. I know that the people who consider themselves second generation, So not the Ray Palmers and not the not the Gray Barkers, not the Kenneth Arnold's, not the Donald Keyhos, but people like you know T L and Greenfield and who I know, and and and Jeans Steinberg and Rick Kilberg, that generation who knew all those original sorceress like this. They said, they'll say, we thought we'd solve it, you know, people, we'd work it out, you know.
Speaker 3: But that's exactly it when I was talking about it last night, I mean, that's what you know, as I was doing research for the presentation and that kind of refreshing myself and finding new threads, you get that sense. I mean when you read that, when you read the stuff from that time period, you know it's like, this will be solved in a month and a year, we're going to get on it. And it's amazing to read the narratives that were going on back then because they're so similar to what we're what we have today.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That was one of the things I explored in my presentation was just you can literally find all of these narratives that are being you know, repeated today as if it's new in a discovery, and you know it's it's all from back then. I made a joke that you know, you can read it. Go to Tim Beckley's Commander X, right, and you've got you know, just sort of update the language a little bit, and you have every narrative that you you possibly could find and the you know, what's being presented as legitimate and maybe legitimate today. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's it's interesting even when you go back to like Keyho's flying sources are real and he's talking like you just we just knock on the door hard enough. The Air Force know everything they're going to tell us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And and there's been lots of knocking. There's that door is not opening. And you know it's amazing too because you know, like thinking about like kind of Tharnold, right, like that's nineteen forty seven. And one of the things that I was really intrigued by. I recently went back just out of just pleasure reading to my teenage interest in HP Lovecraft's work and those authors, right, So that's twenties and thirties in that, And as I was reading through Lovecraft, there were so many little snippets where it's literally the UFO narrative right before there's ever a UFO. You know, there's Martian canals, and there's other things that were kind of sparking that idea. But you know, he's talking about like photographic evidence and Whisper in the dark darkness where he's talking about the how the protagonist receives these photos and how the photos send him almost into like a you know what is being called now ontological shock because it's actual evidence of this thing, you know, and you think about the way that the photos, you know, after the Arnold sighting, right like you know, there's all of a sudden, there starts to be photos almost immediately because you know, as you said, some are the saucers. It wasn't you know, he saw this thing and put a name on it in the news. But he wasn't the only one seeing things. This was across the entire United States. Within weeks, people were seeing something anomalous and strange in the Skuis, you know. Yeah, and again with the Lovecraft thing, Clark Ashton Smith, who was writing for Weird Tales he in the late twenties had a sighting of what he described as it was a black medior but it wasn't flying. It was actually flying, right, It wasn't like a meteor just going and then burning up and landing or whatever. And he said it was something that Charles Fort would take note of, right, but he recognized it as something anomalous, you know. But then this Kenneth Arnold sighting is a thing that puts that name on it, where suddenly people are, oh, that's that anomaly that I'm looking at. It's a flying saucer, right, or you know ufo. So it's just it's fascinating the just that that time period and that I can't imagine what it would be like. You know, there's the news story, there's the newspaper stories of people just sitting out in their backyard and uh, you know they're seeing these things in the sky, right, like that's that's incredible. And and the belief that you know, reading those stories too, how exciting that would have been to you know, uh, you know, as you said, the first, the first generation, right, and even the second generation, like knowing that you could step outside and maybe see something we don't quite have that today.
Speaker 2: It's I love that you bought love Craft up. That's one of the reasons I love talking about because so few people today are able to contextualize this within any broader historical or esoteric tradition. And when you look at the pulps and when you look at love and I think people used to be a little bit broader in their thinking, like if you look, for example, at Mourning of the Magicians, the book by Bergier empowers it, which kind of is really the I'm sure von Danik and cribbed from it. I'm sure they had a big impact on it. But they were conscious of a love Craft and thoughts and you know, Atlantean myths and how all these things into wayn Whether they're right or not in their ultimate thesis, it's still they're able to see the commonalities in these things. And Lovecraft has direct connection through the Shaver mystery, which anybody who's here and talks about all the time will be aware of. Richard Shaver himself said that he thought Lovecraft as well as a merit who was a more influential author of the time has been all but forgotten now, but wrote about underground civilizations that those people had too been to the caves, and they'd had the type of experiences with these extra tras. Now, I don't think Merit and Lovecraft had actually been to the caverns, but it's a Shaver he was riding as part of this tradition, right, And I think that pulp tradition segued very much into sort. I mean, everybody knows I talk about Palmer all the time, as you do too, but Amazing Stories had set up so much of this, not just with the Shaver mystery, but with the interest of the editor Ray Palmer, who was fascinated with Charles Ford and constantly talked about fort in his editorials. He's one of his main writers. Vincent Gaddis, we now look at as one of the main Forteans of the time. And when the all Shaver issue of Amazing Stories, the June nineteen forty seven issue was on the news stands, it's when Kenneth Arnold had his sighting and in that issue, the great Fortien Vincent Gaddis wrote a piece Visitors from the Void, before he had the term flying sources. He's essentially talking about the historical cases of flying sources. And this is on American news stands right the day that Arnold sees the sourcestuff. You're right, I think it's so important to look back and see how, even as we're talking about the first seventy nine years of sources, how this stuff really has a tradition that goes back far further than that seventy ninety.
Speaker 3: Well, you know you mentioned Keyho, right, Keyho wrote for Weird Tales in nineteen twenty seven. I think it was Master of Doom. Was He may have written other ones as well, but the one that I'm familiar with his Master of Doom. So he was, you know, he was writing for Weird Tales before you know, twenty years before he he ends up, you know, getting involved in the in the UFO stuff.
Speaker 1: And the.
Speaker 3: You know, the other interesting things. The other interesting thing about the that pulp mill you is that there's a really there's a really interesting correlation between Weird Tales ceasing publication and Fate Magazine and Mystic Magazine, which was another Palmer application coming out. Mystic Magazine actually has its first issue the same year that Weird Tales has its last when it's original run. And if you look at the you know, August Darylis wrote for Fate magazine. Right, So August Drylis famously being the one who helped popularized Lovecraft after Lovecraft's death. You know, he he was writing for Fate magazine. He was writing things for Fate magazine. And there were there were other authors from Weird Tales, writers from Weird Tales who crossed over into writing for for Fate and that and for other magazines that were coming out in that miliu. So there's this really interesting movement almost where everything that's being covered in Weird Tales, which you know, as you as you were talking about Shaver's reaction to Lovecraft, right like, there were people, you know, Roberty Howard who wrote the Conan stories and some other conan Asques things, and no, no, not to down in great Roberty Howard's work, but most people know him for Conan.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So he originally started writing the Lovecraft because he wanted to he wanted to get in touch with the mythos, right like the actual thing, Like he wanted to know about these cults and these books and his magic, and Lovecraft was like, whoa, whoa, whoa, Like, that's not what I'm doing, you know. But you know, love was really well aware of Fort. He mentions Fort in some of his stories. You know, you can see the letters between him and Clark Ashton Smith and other writers. They're talking about Fort and you know, they're talking about Fort as a way to get information for what they're going to be writing about in fiction. But you know, there's this this interesting corollary between the fictional expressions of it, which you know, again people at the time, there were people who thought Lovecraft was writing was real. He actually had a correspondent who was a merchant marine or something who I believe he he helped the guy edit his poetry and the guy was writing because Weird Tales published poetry as well, and the guy was writing poetry. But the guy was absolutely convinced one that he had seen these things right, that he had met these nameless cults, and that when he was on his thing, so he would tell these stories about about going out into the woods and meeting you know, cultists or entities and that. But he told Lovecraft, you keep saying, you don't you know, you're not writing isn't real, right, Like what you're writing is in reality, but you're just denying the truth, which is that you're an unknowing you know, conduit for these outer you know, for what was the what was the goddess thing the visitors from the voice? Right, yeah, like you're an unknowing conduit for this.
Speaker 2: So that's just quickly how amazed those people must have been who had those kind of theories when Ray Palmer would let them write letters to amazing stories in reference to the Shavin mystery and when they said we've had these encounters poo pooed them, right, Palma one of those letters, you know, Shame responded to those letters.
Speaker 3: Right, and you know, and it's funny. And then and then that's the transition is between you know, because Weird Tales was getting those letters as well, but it was always framed as fiction. And then the fiction starts to go away when suddenly you have you know, flying saucers, right, Arnold has this thing, the name is put on it, and suddenly these things that have been written about become more real, you know. And at the time period as well, you know, jb Ryan starts to get sort of popularized in the thirties, and so by the time the forties is around, you have you know and jb Ryan being the person who sort of started scientific parapsychology, so you know, the psychical aspect of it is now being presented as science, right. And you have the Air Force investigations. That's one of the really interesting things about that the time period with Arnold is because the Air Force gets involved, it suddenly authorizes it in a certain way. And you see the Air Force's involvement being used by all these different groups to sort of say this is real, right. The Government's looking at it, the Air Force is investigating this, this is real, including revivalists. There was a big healing revival going on at the time, and you have people at Gordon Lindsay who was in the same kind of revival circles, Oral Roberts and that, you know, Gordon Lindsay is writing these articles for Voice of Healing about the prophetic significance of the Flying Saucers right as this sign of the Second Coming, and those articles that were in the Voice of Healing, Palmer actually ends up republishing later in some issues of Flying Saucer magazine, you know, And so there's this amazing cross current of authorization and all of that, and again all of it stemming from you know, this arnold sighting, which becomes sort of this just it put the pin in the in the butterfly, and you could say that it existed.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely. I'm going to loop back to a lot of that in a minute. We have a question from a good friend of the show. He's also a guest of the show, Horace Smith, who's Professor Emers of Astronomy and Physics at Michigan State University. He's also a massive Lovecraft fan. He's written a book on Lovecraft, He's written pieces on Lovecraft. Oh excellent, And he says, your guest is very familiar with Lovecraft. Has he read the extensive collections of Lovecraft's letters published by Hippo Campus Press. Funnily enough, I got two Hippo Campus Press books in the mail the other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: St. Josh's Life Life in Lovecraft's Yeah, yeah, and the I forget the title of I haven't read yet, the St. Joshi fictional novel about Lovecraft, but it's funny. So that anyway, So have you have you read those?
Speaker 3: Those I've read? So I've read excerpts from it, but I haven't read the actual ones. Actually, the only Hippocampus Press book I have is the awesome annotated edition of Fungi from You Goth just because I absolutely love that that They They send chills through through me when I when I read that poetry, and there's that great Canadian recording too, it's like late eighties synth background and uh, guy reading just a really beautiful reading of the poems. But yeah, I mean the Lovecraft letters. I'm glad he brought those up because that's it's such a rich trove of material. I also want to get the one his correspondence with Clark Ashton Smith, which is where that that black Meteorite U anecdote comes from. And uh, just so interesting to see them, you know, see to see what's behind the writing, you know, and and also I think that you know, obviously Lovecraft is fairly controversial to a certain extent, but to see the person right behind that and to see to see the thought that went into it, and that the complex and kind of rich intellectual life that he had really deepens the stories. So thank you for bringing that up, because now I'm more excited to go to go acquire more books.
Speaker 2: When when I have some spare money, I am. I've looked at it many times. I want to push the button on the Arkham House collected Lovecraft letters, but there they're very expensive. Yeah, I have a little Arkham collection. It's it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't have those in it yet. Though. Back to the back to the sources though, So let's maybe this is you know, we were we were we were talking about Keyho and we've talked a lot about the lead up to it, and we've spoken a little bit about Arnold. I want to tell you something that I just saw the other day. It just occurred to me now to talk about. I don't even know who I was going to plan to, but I I don't know why. Maybe I was looking. I was googling, as you do something, and some AI recommend it, like some AI interpretation of my script or AI thing popped up in Google or start page or wherever the devil I was searching, and it talked something about how American. The American public fascination with flying sources began with two things in nineteen forty seven, Kenneth Arnold Siding and the Roswell crash a week later, and from them on, Oh, they were all excited about it. Funnily enough, I had congress people say the same thing in congressional hearings. Ever since the forty seven crash in Roswell, the American people have wanted. But this is something a professor of mine at university, the late I don't know if you I shouldn't say Late Green, I don't happy's still alive. I haven't talked to him for so long. But he was older Bob Drea, who was this incredible polymath, and he wasn't an official supervisor of my dissertation, but he was an unofficial supervisor and a good friend. And something he told me early on which really helped me, really helped me thinking on this whole thing, was because he knew a lot about other secret additions in European esotericism, like he understood the history of Masonry and Illuminati and things like that, to the capacity that the people who believe in these things, their history is often different to the actual history if you laid it out. So Masons might say, well, we trace our you know, back to the Temple of Solomon. But if you look at the actual history of masonry. You can go well, free masonry, well, it seems to start here, you know, like in the eighteenth century or whenever it is right youupology is very similar and it's history. And this is something I'll throw the ball back to you. Seems too as much as we can see the same themes coming up again and again, as we mentioned early on, and you're so right about that, but its history seems to be reimagined and doesn't seem to be an accurate history of what took place. And I bring up the Roswell thing as I do often because AI is wrong. The congress people were wrong, the American public weren't. Roswelld didn't spark any fascination in them. The news story got picked up by you know, news wise all around the world, but then the next day, when the Air Force said up was just a weather balloon, it got dropped just as soon. It doesn't appear in any of the UFO literature for almost the first thirty years. But now we talk about Roswell as being the defining moment always historically, so much so that AI will tell us and Congress people will tell us that's when the American public got interested, just as that as a kind of a launch for the next part of the conversation, What do you think about the difference between an historical reality and maybe an imagined or a re envisaged history by the people who subscribe to the belief systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a that's a perfect example because you know, as you said, I mean it was late it was late seventies when Rosweald gets brought back into the conversation, and it's actually after maybe it was asked, I don't know it was Stringfeld, right, was he's the one who is the has the crash crash retrieval report. Yeah, and you know it was It wasn't until he started writing some and it wasn't Roswell that he was writing about. He was writing about believe it was Aztec, but it may have been another one that in investigating those that it suddenly Roswell comes in, you know, in the late seventies, and that that's so interesting that yeah, it becomes you know, because if you google world UFO day right, which is associated with either Arnold or the Roswell crash, You're going to get the Roswell thing right, because Roswell has a tourist. They've got a tourist bureau, you know, so they've got that that drives the sort of search algorithms and that. But yeah, it's really interesting and that, you know, what are the world's Orson Welles broadcast is another example of that, where when people are talking about the potential of ontological shock and they go back to this idea that Orson Wells spread panics throughout the populace. There's actually a great Slate article that went back and looked at that claim and found that it was absolutely not true and that in the time period newspapers were publishing that there was this panic, but there were people writing into the newspapers saying, hey, I was on the street that didn't happen, Like this isn't real. And then further research showed that it was most likely done because newspapers were losing ad revenue to radio, and so it was an easy way to create this story to show that the radio was this you know, social blight that was going to misinform the public and scare the public. But if you go back to the twenties and thirties and forties and you listen to the radio programs that were on. They're pretty explicit, you know, I mean they would be if you filmed the things that they're talking about, a lot of them would be r rated or worse. I mean, they're pretty they're pretty graphic. And so the idea that people were panicking because Orson Wells, who was the voice of the Shadow and a well known radio performer, was doing this is rather silly in retrospect, but it still gets brought up in a similar way that you know, as you're saying Congress people referenced Roswell is sort of this beginning. You know, academics and people will reference Orson Wells and the panic as being an example of ontological shock, and so it does. It has this really interesting sort of rewriting to the present moment, you know. And you can go further back too, right before there were before flying saucer was a term that was invented, no one would look at those Renaissance paintings that have the clouds the circles and say it was anything other than the Holy Spirit or you know, coming down during the Annunciation or something like that. As soon as flying saucer is coined, suddenly there's this retrospective that can be put back on the past and looked at in a way that up to that point literally could never have happened, you know. I mean there was no category with which to investigate it through that, you know. And so there's this interesting, this maliability to the cultural memory that occur, especially with topics like this, which are anomalist and which you know, each sort of generation has a different perspective on and we've seen it since twenty seventeen, where there's almost a cultural amnesia for anything that went before.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I was reading one of Beckley's was it the the UFO Review? And Brad Steiger has a sort of a these are the these are the potential hypotheses for what the Flying Saucers could be or the UFOs could be, right, and every single one of them are things that are being represented, you know, within academia as oh, it could be this like Yeah, Brad Steiger wrote that in a much more intriguing and readable way back in you know, a magazine that you would find to be trash.
Speaker 2: You know, But it's funny you should say that because it's something I've been super conscious of. There was the help put off Altric Terrestrial. Yeah, try article and then there paper, and then there was the one by two Harvard academics and somebody from Montana Tech who kind of round me that idea. And in fairness, the Montana Tech and the two Harvard guys reference Richard Shaver and reference John Keel in there regarding the idea of a subterranean you know reality. But when you hear when you hear congressional hearings, or you hear disclosure proponents, or when you hear any of this stuff in the media about maybe they're got secret ocean bases or oceans below the earth, can I can pull stuff out of amazing stories from the nineteen forties, which is saying the same exact same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's exactly it, you know. And there's a there's an almost review. It was. It was funny. And Mike'sophone, who's the president of the Society for UAP Studies. He's awesome, he's a really cool he's one of my favorite contemporary academic researchers in this and he's taking a very honest and thorough look at it. And his specialty is history of science, and it's particularly in physics and that. But it was funny because it was you know, there's within academi it's called great literature, right, like it's this it's the the ufology books there and no one's touching them, like they're almost like radioactive, you know. And so we were talking about the you know, how do you frame this stuff? The Society for UAP Studies is working on something that's being termed the empirical weird, So how do you sort of create like an empirical methodology to study the anomala stuff? And I just I send them a picture of my bookshelves, you know, which is all great literature, you know. And I was like, well, you know you're going to have to tackle this because everything you're gonna say is in this stuff. And he's like, oh, now, I don't know if I can do that, you know, like I don't know if I can go into that. And I'm like, no, you're gonna have to read you know, what was the Star Gods Clone Masters? You know, like if you if you don't read Star Gods Clone Masters by Brad Steiger, like you're going to be missing something, you know. But it's interesting too because people like Steiger, I mean, if you go back you're talking about more well rounded, right, the idea of people were reading Ford and people were reading these things. If you go back to the you know, the sort of academic and even the when the psychic warfare programs and that stuff start in the seventies, these people are well familiar with Ford, and they're familiar with Ralf Steiner, and they're familiar with Brad Steiger. You know, God's of Aquarius. He's sitting right next to people that were working with SRI and that I mean, he's right up in that milieu. You know. So there was this cross conversation that's not really happening today in the same way, you know, and maybe it is, and it's just you know, it's hard to see because you're in the present, but I don't see the same sort of conversation and cross pollination of things like if you you know Mead Lane, the borderland science research with Mark Probert and that stuff's amazing. Yeah, and again you see a lot of the stuff that he's talking about with the ether you know, the etherships and that coming up as people start to talk about, oh, these are trans medium like well, you know, yeah, when he talks about Matt and d Matt like he's talking about trans medium travel in that, you know so, but nobody would touch med Lane today.
Speaker 2: Just talking about med Lane quickly, did you see in that the first UFO files drop that the Department of War did recently in the PDF with a bunch of documents. It was one of the FBI ones. One of the things in there was it was it round Robin, Round Robin.
Speaker 3: Somebody someone had reported mead Lane. It was incredible that that. Yeah, if folks are interested and then they should definitely check that one out because it's and that was available before that that doc drop too, and it was the Meadlane FBI file that was hilarious because somebody went to a meeting and was like, I think you should look into these guys, like this is this isn't good.
Speaker 2: You know, well most of it was. That's that's it, and we can maybe get to some of it. This, I suppose is just supports what you were saying about this kind of ahistoricity of current UFO researchers and people who are interested in it, because so many of the things which were available in the UFO files that dropped were already available out there anyway. I mean, so many of that some of them were less redacted actually this time. But for example, all the all the supposed NASA UFO photos, they've been available for decades on like academic websites, Like there was so much stuff in there that wasn't a shock to anybody who had paid a little bit more attention, I think to this stuff. But but since since we've we we we we've kind of gone back and forth a little because there's there's so much to talk about. But but you're talking about Steiger then made me think about when John Keele wrote his piece and I think it was like the Journal of Popular Culture or something like that, and he talked about he had this incredible positive feeling in the seventies because of people like Steiger and himself and Valet, and he suggested where at the point of a new eufology is what I was talking about, and this is, you know, on the cusp of close encounters, or around the time of close encounters. And there, I think in the UFO community then there was an idea, certainly amongst people like you know, kill Valas at all, there was this there was this idea that somehow, again it might it was a little different to the original. You know, we knock on the Air Force door, we'll get the secret. But there was a positive idea again, what what did you what do you see? Happened to that kind of idea with the new eupology in.
Speaker 3: That it's interesting today. That was something I brought up in my talk yesterday was from Official UFO Magazine, which was a Myrant Fast. Myron Fast was this incredible exploitation publisher, similar to Backley, but more exploitation and not. He didn't care about the subjects really all. He had a rule of ten thousand. You had ten thousand sales of the magazine or he cuts it off. Doesn't matter if it's you know, if you had something that was a cliffhanger in the last one, it was coming out the next one. If that issue didn't sell ten thousand, get rid of it. So Official UFO Magazine was one of the ones that made it through, and it actually had some fairly decent editors that helped it to have some legitimate writers writing for it. So although it was published by an exploitation press, it was it had serious writing in it. And one of the stories from nineteen seventy seven or one of the articles was on how computer databasing was going to solve the problem of the UFO photos, that you could put them into a computer and it would database it and you would get the answers right. And that's the exact same thing that you're saying the people are saying now with AI, you know, and Valet did a lot of database work, like the Capella database in that with NIDS her boss. I don't know which one he was working with at the time, but one of the big low groups and the Capella database on that. So you know, it's really strange because even that that solution sort of thing starts to con repeat itself, like we're, oh, we're going to find it because the computer you know, Oh, well we have a different computer and that one's going to find it. Uh, and the anomalist still stays anomalous. And it's just it's really interesting. And you see, I mean, you know, Keel obviously had become fairly disenchanted at the end of his life with that stuff. If you talk to people who had met him at the end of his life, you know, he often gave the advice like, stay away from this topic. It's just going to ruin you.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to have Quill very briefly at fort fist ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Oh fantastic.
Speaker 2: It was an incredible trip. Ye, I got to interview him form my pH d dissertation, and he certainly was at a station in his life the way I think he was cranking and dissolution. I mean, I love the man. I mean, I love Kiel Well, then I probably love anybody else that I don't know properly, you know what I mean. I do know Doug Skinner very well, who was yes, the air of and he he he retained a lot of cue stuff, but he would he would also tell you that by the end of his life, just like you said, he'd become kind of you a cranky and dissolusions.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. And so I think that, you know, and we're you know, there's a there's a fresh kind of enthusiasm amongst a new generation of people. But the lack of historical through line is troublesome, you know, because if you I think when you were talking about the first generation, second generation, right, and then we can move into like a third generation, there was a through line there where they were all having a conversation with the generations before and being mentored to a certain extent apprenticeship and right, and we don't have that as much anymore. You know. Some of it is because the media, the way that media worked back then, it wasn't quite as enticing and hypnotizing and and all encompassing, where now people sort of have to personal brand and do all this stuff to kind of be out there and be that, you know, so it becomes more difficult to have those kind of like serious mentor mentorships and conversations cross generationally, you know. And with the with the increased interest from official parties, now there's money on the line with this stuff, so that changes the conversation as well. I mean, you look at like the Avulob board that was recently stood up in that there's money on the line there, you know. I mean that's research grants, and that's that's a bunch of stuff, and it's serious money. It's the same kind of money that became on the line with the psychic question. When you know, SRI and some of those groups in the seventies were able to get research grants for it, Suddenly you had this boom of parapsychology, but to the dearth of you know, a more kind of rounded psychical research that had been going on up to that point, which had laid the ground for that to even happen, you know, but then that disappears. You know, the Harold Sherman's who was an ESP teacher in the fifties and sixties, who actually worked with Ingo Swan as part of an SRI program during the Jupiter remote viewing. I think it was, you know, the Harold Shermans disappear and we just get the help put offs in the science and you know, it sort of it reduces it to this lane that can be funded. And you know, and you see that with the parapsychology too, where the history of the seventies and eighties parapsychology is this rich, strange field of you know, people that now in retrospect as people are trying to legitimize it, you know, and legitimize their time in that period. You know, a lot of people like Andrew's Puherik, it's like written out and like kind of shoved off to the side. He's having kind of a renaissance because his son who's been working with the documentarian who's putting out some more information on him. But for the longest time. You know, he was conspiracy fringe because no one would talk about it. But he was a core player in the remote viewing that everybody wants to talk about now as being you know, legitimate. But he's ignored. He goes fine to some extent, gets ignored like that too, because he was too unique. He was too radical in some sense. And you know, I mean Ray Palmer now, right, like too radical.
Speaker 5: For for for the taste you know, he's he's probably probably maybe even like the Black Book of Ray Palmer, right, that's not even great literature now, it's it's the Forbidden Tomes of magazine.
Speaker 2: And I think I think he was written out of the history very early on for a number of reasons that she probably the time to go into. But if you if you look at and if you look at the way he's and he's treated unfairly too by people who you think would have gaven him, given him a better shake. People even wrote for him, do you know what I mean? Like to a degree, John Keel was certainly dismissive of Shave, but he was you know, kind of to Palm. Of course he'd written for him. But if you look at the work of Jerome Clark, who's probably what second generation I guess, but he's still one of the most probably powerful second generation people left. His disdain for people like you know, Palmer and Keel just shines through and you see it an academic literature. I mean the first, the great, the first great UFO history was David Jacob's UFO controversy in America, right before Jacob's kind of went you know, off the plantation or whatever you say, and joined the UFO people himself. But Palmer's like a footnote in that book. But the reality is, for people who are interested in sources, Palmer probably had far more to do with shaping their ideas than NCAP did. And Palmer's oh feud with Nightcap. He had this incredible feud with Nightcap, which has been written out of the history books.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and I mean it was incredible too.
Speaker 4: I mean, those those editorials are fantastic, in the articles where he's ripping into Nicap and like ripping into the room Pelp book and like yeah, like and talking about how they're you know, disinforming and betraying and so yeah, those those are incredible, and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, I think it's more telling now than ever when you look at that, because one of the things Palmer recognized which was so obvious, is that Nightcaps leadership were all ex military or ex civilian intelligence people, often very high up people. So it's not just that you've got major you know, Keiho, Right, You've got people who were heads of you know, naval departments in the CIA.
Speaker 3: You had the head of the former head of the I don't know if he was the president of.
Speaker 2: He was a board member anyway, he was one of the board. Yeah, and these are the people who then were kind of at the heart of collecting UFO data. And I think to a degree for whatever look not necessarily even looking at conspiratorially, but I think people even in the UFO community unfortunately tend to, at least after the facts, look back at, well, these are the legitimate people. I mean, if I thought there was a conspiracy, these would be the people at least at least I've been trusting, all right, Palma, But before I'd be trusting an x C I A head to tell me the truth about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's exactly it, you know, And that that and and that repeats itself, right, I mean, we have that that same repetition. I think Greg A. Gagin's book that he wrote in the History of the Development of the Flying Saucer and Culture, that he came out a couple of years ago. Oh, it's really good. Yeah, it's a fantastic book. I mean, I can't remember. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. It's oh, after After After the Flying Saucers came. It's really good, really good book. Greg's a fantastic researcher. But you know he talks about that too, sort of the repetition of that trust and the repetition of these characters that kind of step in from a foal, you know, things, And and it's always the hope of that knock, right like you were talking about that knocking on the Air Force door. You know, Folks always are hoping that the person who comes out is answering that knock, you know, but we never get any answers. And I, you know, I I personally like kind of love that fact. I'd be And Greg Bishop did a design, Uh, the Saucers will keep their secrets, you know, kind of a pro MYSTERI in reading of the Flying Saucer Mystery, you know, and can.
Speaker 2: You involved with the UFO Taro as well with Greg Riley. Yeah, I have that here, so wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got the I got the honor of writing the Whitley streeber uh card, the writing they streaber bio for that. That was that was fantastic. I love Whitley, So that was a good That was a good thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe where we can just transition a little here, because I think this is something worth talking about. We've we've talked very much about euphology and some of the major personalities and some of the ways you know, they've they've affected our beliefs and some of the ways they've been ignored or brought into the you know, official fold and the ahistoricity of of your euphological research. But what's your what's your take on the way the popular culture representations of it is so say, from those early source of movies in the fifties through I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a great example, and we have a wonderful new example of course, well we can go through the X files as well, and and up to of course Disclosure Day today. How do you how do you think that the the the popular culture is represented what people believe in uthology, how has it represented the the phenomenon accurately or otherwise? And what's the interaction between all of these things.
Speaker 3: That was actually a conversation and while we were making the Ufology Taro, we were talking about what would it take to do justice to these the actual sense of a UFO or flying Saucer encounter, right, because you never see plasma stuff, you know, but Project Identification out of Missouri with Harley Rutledge, if that was all plasma stuff for Hezeldin, was plasma you never see? I mean maybe nope. Kind of comes around to like a Trevor James Constable esque sort of maybe, but not really. But there's so much richness there that just doesn't get covered. And you know, the idea that this is impossible to film, then you can't film it, but I think that, like I'm sure that Jacques Turner could film it, you know, a great nineteen forties director who did Knight of the Demon and Cat People and that who worked with you know, Cat People is almost all suggestion, right, and just working that suggestion, you know, and so there, but we don't have that type of filmmaking anymore. And Jack Turner never made a Flying Saucer movie, right, so we have a very like it's you know, it's the same we talked about Lovecraft. It's similar to the Lovecraft thing. People o Lovecraft's unfilmable, like no, not really like you again, I think Jack Turner could have done a great Lovecraft adaptation with suggestion and with with actual filmmaking, you know, and not just here's a rubber monster or something, you know, because Lovecraft's not about monsters. Like if you read Lovecraft, most of the description is about architecture and atmosphere and that and the entities and that kind of thing are not minor, but they're they're more atmospheric. And so yeah, I don't know that there has been like a really good, good I haven't seen Disclosure Day, but you know, I don't know that there's been something that really captures the the full sort of feeling of it. You know. Do you have a do you have a film that that strikes you as like a.
Speaker 2: I think the two I think the three best UFO movies, and some of them aren't UFO movies of at least the era since I've been alive, probably Close Encounters, the third kind at least up until I'm when I saw as a boy, I was just mesmerized by it, right, But I tend to agree with Valet's criticism of the literalism of that final act. Like, up until that final act where the sources come down and a little beautiful aliens angelic aliens wander out, it very much encapsulates that weird experience that an experiencer goes through, like it gets the Royniery experiences right, the horror of a mother whose child's been abducted. I think it captures the weirdness of the experience very well, and it also captures the wonder of the phenomenon very well, which Disclosure Day totally I think fails in. But that's another story. I think another campmpletely non UFO movie, although it's an alien movie, is the film k Pax. Have you seen the film film k Pax with with who's the outer favorite actor? Now, what's his name? Because he would star? What's his name? Goodness, gracious, it'll come. It'll come to me anyway. Cape the story of k paxes and I don't want I'm going to have to spoil it a little bit, but is that there's this person who's had a traumatic experience and now he believes, well, he's no, he's gone, he's He's essentially about what's called a walk in in the broader UFO world, that an al can take over abody after traumatic experience. I met a walk in and it was she was very intense, almost frightening, to be honest. Back in my PhD research days in Sidona, I met a very strange woman with very strong presence and almost you know, frightening to talk to. But the idea that this traumatic experience, he's been taken over by an alien being called Kpex. And the cleverest thing about that film is that by the end of the movie, I think there's still there's still a degree of uncertainty whether he has been or he hasn't he is he mental? Is he insane? This guy just through a traumatic experience or is he really had is he really as an et you know, taken over this person's body and once bought the very end, but it manages to what Totter of the Great Literary Theorist suggested that in the genre of the fantastic, there's actually kind of three subgenres. There's the fantastic and that's when the character has had an experience, but you're not sure yet whether it's genuinely like other worldly or whether it could just be a misinterpretation. So it either slides into the uncanny, which is when it's all just the coincidence, or maybe the basist version would be a Scooby Do cartoon where the mask gets ripped off the evil landlord at the end and he's just trying to, you know, annoy those kids. The other side of it is the marvelous, where it really is angels or extraterrestrials or ghosts. But I think the best we can do, and I think the strongest it can ever be, is when it's like KPEX, when we tell the story and it's rooted in this realm with the fantastic, because let's be real, that's where we all are. We don't know yet if it's how much it's psychological, how much it's genuinely you know, something other, what the other is. So I think when a movie can maintain that space in the fantastic, it does a really good job. The other fantastic UFO movie, I think is the Richard Geeve vehicle, The Mothman Prophecies, even though, and.
Speaker 3: As you're talking, I am thinking of some other ones that like kind of touch on that. I don't know if it's called The God Wants You Dad or something. It was like a I forget it. It was basically about it's the guy who did Cue the Winged Serpent. It's a it's a movie by him.
Speaker 2: Larry is it Larry Fiestens something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, something, Larry something. I can't remember. I would remember if this was like a year ago, but now now that it has all all been moved by life. But the but yeah, there are there are some good but it's it's exactly what you're saying. It is the ones that hit that uncanny note where there's a little bit of ambiguity and that, you know, going back to love Craft, you said you had to have the realism before you had anything weird. The reel had to be as real as it possibly can be, you know, And I think that that that gets missing, especially you know, there's a lot of and you find this in contemporary novels and contemporary movie making. There's almost like a cartoonishness to it, where the framework of the storytelling is just so blunt and like the you know, the Aristotilian arc is just so just like Chunky. You know, maybe that's the too like a rough like the really are brute application of Joseph Campbell's you know, storytelling circle kind of thing. But it's just this really blunt way of storytelling that doesn't have the nuance that that can capture that or bring the realism. You know, Tarkowski probably could have made an amazing UFO movie. You know, maybe Stalker in some sense has has some elements of similarity to that, that uncanniness and strangeness, you know.
Speaker 2: Or it's Larry Cohen, by the way, I remember Cohen. He's one of my favorite I used to love him when I was a kid in Yeah Stuff and The Island of the Alive or It's Alive or whatever it is and all those.
Speaker 3: Yes, good, Yeah, Larry Cohen is a king.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that that we find some of these themes told better in stories that people don't think of as you know, traditional movies and Disclosure Day. Unfortunately I'm not I'm not going to give you any spoilers, but it really is just like if I think have been great if you watch it in ninety six or something, but we've seen it in X files, done in the adult, non disnified version, and it's far more compelling and far more interesting. And it's it's a very naive, hopeful, not naive the way Close Encounters was naive and wonderful. It's just not it's just silly, you know what I mean, to be honest. But you should go see it just so you can bad.
Speaker 3: Mouth can be disappointed. Exactly I was.
Speaker 2: I went with my daughter. She seemed to have fun. It's fast moving, I mean, it's moves quickly, so.
Speaker 3: It's you know, I mean, Spielberg's a he's a he can make a film, right like the very at the end of the day, he could at least make a film, which not everybody, not everybody can do. It's not always the best film, despite the appliuse.
Speaker 2: But on this, on this quickly though, how much do you think that the film versions of these movies, So let's forget Disclosure day, course you haven't seen it. It's only riffing on ideas that were already in the pop culture. Forget about eupology anyway. But how much do you think that your average perhaps non eufologist, just man on the street has had his perceptions, his belief system framed around eupology, by these movies, by these alien invasion movies X files closing counts. How much do you think that frames our average cultural conception of what extraterrestrial life might be, like, what UFOs are, all of these kind of things.
Speaker 3: Any any person that I talk to that is not into the subject is usually coming from that perspective, even if they have sort of a cursory interest. A lot of times the defaults to frameworks that are given through that kind of stuff, the X file stuff and the you know, the yeah, the popular culture kind of kind of framing of it, and it gets you know, I'm so far into this, and I'm sure you're in the same way where you're just like it almost becomes like a translation problem. You know, you're like, it's not really what I'm talking about, but you know, okay, like that's not that's not it, but okay, you know that that's what we that's what we can start to work through. And then when they see the other side, though, they're like, whoa, Like there's this whole other realm that's much more interesting and it's not just kind of you know, cartoonish pop culture trope. Alien stuff, you know, And and it's interesting too because there's a some people even have it's it's you know, it's like the Robert Anton Wilson, you know, like Fnord, where they just can't see past it and.
Speaker 2: They can't I'm rerating the Illuminatus trilogy at the moment, So that's weird that you should bring it.
Speaker 3: Watch out for the florids, you know, so like they But yeah, it becomes like this, this blind that that people can't see past. I've been tracking for a while since most since twenty seventeen Google trends. You can look UFO and see where it goes, you know, And this was something I've talked about a lot. The biggest spike was in two thousand and eight for the Stevensville, Texas siding. And no matter the amount of saturation and we've had, you know, especially in the last year or so, the saturation has been intense. And then you know, going back to twenty seventeen in the New York Times article, it's been a constant hammering of this topic. Hasn't peaked to what happened in two thousand and eight, you know, so the public interest, you know, there's there's a lot of the memes of like the Aliens. The aliens are here and it's the great I got to bill to pay, like can you come back later? I don't really care, you know, the economic situation for the majority of people you know across the world, or the climate situation. Right there's record heats in Europe and they don't have air conditioning, so like, you know, it's people are you know in how many wars we have going on now and all the rest of it. So it's there's other things to think about. And I think that that also plays a part into you knowgnitive load, right, Like you can only fit so much in there, and so you're going to default to what you see everywhere around you. You know. That's why I like to be in my book Corner, right, So then all my cognitive load and everything I'm saturated with is the deep weird.
Speaker 2: In the book corner is always a happy place. Horace Smith very kindly let us know that it was Kevin Spacey who played the walking alien in k Pax, which was good. I'm not asking you to be a prophet, but before as we wind down, do you at their changes you imagine within our perception or our conversation, perhaps are these things or the direction it's going to go. And given the fact that since twenty seventeen there's been a considerable shift, as you said, almost it's almost amnesia before then. But now that there seems to at least be I guess, a situation where it appeas to be the UFO phenomenon appeas to be being taken seriously by the media and the US government and everything else. Do you see there to be any blowback a change continuing in this direction? And again, you're not going to be held to the record for this's what's your gut feeling of where we're going in the next five to ten years.
Speaker 3: I so if this were like a year ago, I would have I would be less sure that it wasn't a five ten year trend, right, and that it was going to peter out. Since Neil de grass Tyson has come out and had to completely reverse track and what he's been saying the entire time that he's been a hunded right, and he's now had to well not accepting it, he's had to give credence to it at all and have a calm, rational discussion about it without just throwing out ad hominems and shutting things down with bad science and fake science, you know. And he's actually had to address these issues and written a book about it, right, So he's even jumping on the trend of it. Michael Shermer joining this board. I know a lot of people are upset by that. But you know, Shermer, since he had that weird kind of like instrumental transcommunication with the radio and I don't know if it was his wife's grandfather or father something who had passed and it was a radio with no batteries that started playing a favorite song. Ever since that, he's he's been a little bit more open to this stuff, you know. And if you think about having to shift those narratives, you need to have those public figures change before those people who follow those public figures change. You know, you start with the leadership, and once you can turn the leadership, then you get the flock to follow the shepherd.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So the fact that you've got like Shermer and you know, Degress, Tyson and that are starting to have to they're publicly to alter the way that they talk about these things, I think that that's a good signal that there's probably going to be a continued roll out of taking the topic seriously. Now, with that said, the fact that there is this cutting off at twenty seventeen, and that I've seen a lot of the academic dialogue on it, and no one outside of cultural studies, you know, or media studies has any interest in going back to the old stuff. It's kind of like, let's wipe the slate clean and we're going to start with what we see and we're going to start with science and if we see something new, but we don't need all these old records. They're there, it happened. You know, there's people like Beatrice via Role who is doing the Vasco project and looking at the astronomical data on the slides from some of the observatories and finding that there's these transient anomalies, and there's this discussion over what those are. You know, is it a glitch, is it a cosmic ray? Was it something during a nuclear test that was causing these these flashes in the in the film. You know, there's there's those conversations which are looking at the history, but they're the cultural history itself, and figures like Keel and the rest of it are not not going to be taken seriously, you know, and that that's what that worries me. I guess is that that because that's where the richness is to it, that's where the human side of it is, you know. And all I see as we move forward into the systemization of this stuff, it did nothing good for for parapsychology, you know. All it did was the the increasing focus on minuscule returns, you know, until and anything that looked bigger than that was rejected as as not you know, not to be a look dat right, it was too scary or something. That's changed a little bit with stuff like the telepathy tapes. But when it in the current time period, it seems like when it changes, it gets really modeled and mixed with things that that mess it up even more. So I don't know. So yeah, I mean I think that I think the ball is going to keep rolling. I think that we will. I don't think that there's going to be a lid put back on it, you know, but I don't think it'll be the same UFO Flying Saucer and or even the UAP from twenty seventeen. I think it's going to be a much drier, you know, unless there's some sort of massive flap, and that would be the thing that would change it. Right that that's kind of the you know, the nineteen forty seven moment, regular people were seeing these things. This wasn't just an academic question. It was you're in your backyard and you see something hovering over you. I mean Valet, right, he had a sighting of a ructured saucer craft when he was a kid. So you know, that would change the conversation. Outside of that, I think it's going to be probably similar to parapsychology, where it it fritters out into the established disciplines and what you know, what there can be there becomes renamed so it's not weird and it and it moves on, you know, and gets gets kind of absorbed into that. This is a little bit different because it's a question of non human intelligence. Does that exist? What is that? So if that is there floating in the background, then the you know, that might be that might change that dynamic of of sort of just diffusing it into the culture. But barring that, I don't I don't, I don't know. I think that the again, the ball will keep rolling, but I don't think we're going to have a beautiful golden age of saucers. You know, we'll have the dry age of the UAP.
Speaker 2: That's so depressing but so thoughtful. I could ask you another three questions just from that response that we would be talking until dawn my time. And while I would love to do that, I'm i going to hold you over all my audience. It's always so fascinating talking to you and with you. David. Is there anything you're doing at the moment, or any URLs or anything you'd like to let our listeners and viewers in on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would you know. If you're in the LA area this weekend Burbank specifically, there's an art show that Greg Bishop from Radio Mysterio So, author of Project Beta and a bunch of other good stuff, is for a damp skin that Greg Bishop is curating an art show called Power to the Paper jail Breaking Disclosure, and it's a really neat selection of artists. Some of them are experiencers. You have Steve Neil, who worked a lot with Whitley Strieber but also did special effects for Star Trek in that. But he's got these amazing I would recommend to just look up Steve Neil's art because it's really really cool kind of experiencer art. There's Susan Demeter, who some folks may be aware of. She's a researcher from Canada who is Her husband is Massimo Teodorani, who's one of the leading physicists right now working on these questions. And Susan's got some art in there. Erica lux who is a podcaster and researcher, James Pike who's an experiencer. There's a lot of different folks in that in this show that just some amazing stuff. Barbara Fisher is in there as well, and then there's going to be Dean Aleotto who did the McPherson tapes and more recently did the I think it's called Experiencers or something like that, or been Disclosure something. He's got a new documentary out as well. But he's going to be on a panel, so it's kind of like an art show. Greg's going to give a lecture, there's going to be a panel. It should be pretty good. So that's power to the paper jail Breaking Disclosure. If you were in the California area, and.
Speaker 2: I wish I was, and I wish I could go, I love all of Greg Bishop's work. I have all of his books and a number of his magazine publications on my shelf over there, and he's I think Project Beida. I probably other than maybe The Mothman Prophecies or Keels, Operation Trojan Horse or The Ways Messages of Deception, I probably recommended Project Beata more than any other any UFO book, although I do mention or always reference, like Chris Orbeck's Sources book now, which I encourage you to get as well. Man, it was so great talking to you again, David. It had been too long. Thank you so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you Dean. Yeah, absolutely, and what a great time. The seventy ninth anniversary of the Age of the Saucers. That's a good, good, good thing to celebrate and talk about.
Speaker 2: And I couldn't have There's nobody on this planet I would have rather have chatted to about it with than you. So thank you so much, David for visiting with me. And until I talked to you again, David, hopefully not in the two distant future, and until I talk to everybody else out there, which will be the same weird time at nine pm Thursday Central, same Weird network. The untold radio network. Please keep it weird.