Speaker 1: Johnaine with the forecast time you got a partly cloudy day to day eighty six for the high, down to sixty seven over a nine with just a few clouds. Eighty eight are high tomorrow, n your Sunday sky clear and sixty eight overnight in a hot one on Saturday, ninety degrees the high dry day though, seventy Right now time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: Nearly sixty percent of Americans waiting on an organ transplant from multicultural communities give the Gift of life, become an organ donor or explore living donation at u see health dot com. Slash transplant crews continue to work with a wreck on the left shoulder southbound seventy one near Piper. Traffic is off and on the breaks through Blue Ash and ken Wood southbound seventy five, heaviest out of Evendale down to the lateral Ingram on.
Speaker 2: Fifty five krs. The talk station, it's.
Speaker 1: A thirty here fifty five krc detalk station. Always look forward to Thursdays at this time because we get iHeartMedia aviation experts Jay ratlifts updates and information on what's going on in the world of air traffic and aviation generally speaking, and goofy things that happen. Welcome back, Jay Ratliff. Love having you on the show. I love the goofy things we talk about right now.
Speaker 2: It's the best part.
Speaker 1: And this isn't intend to be a curveball recognizing you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Hair comes, No, I know, yeah yeah, Joe Warren me here comes.
Speaker 1: Southwest Airlines, one of your topics, had a council more than seven hundred flights due to weather, which I understand, but ongoing computer issues. And I woke up this morning and saw this article. United Airlines temporarily grounded all of its mainline flights yesterday due to a technical issue, although the articles from Fox nineteen that I read rather sketchy on the details.
Speaker 2: Do you know why?
Speaker 5: I mean all of their flights?
Speaker 4: Yes, it was a ground stop and anything that hadn't taken off wasn't going to take off. And that we have this happen every so often. Of course, Southwest has had their computer issues before in the past that happened at the worst possible time around Christmas. You've had United, even Delta and others that have had these issues with their computer systems, and you just hope that they crash may not be the appropriate word, but that they malfunction in May or September, because those are the two slowest travel months of the year.
Speaker 5: But they don't.
Speaker 4: It's like the car conks out on us at the most critical time we need it.
Speaker 5: And it's the same sort of situation.
Speaker 4: Here and with United when they ground their fleet, and even for a short period of time, the residual impact on that it goes for days and it could be Monday or Tuesday before everybody's going to get to where they're going. Because when you're talking about this time of the year, when most of the flights are filled or at capacity or close to it, you have ten thousand people that maybe got are on canceled flights. Where are you going to put them? I mean, it just it makes it so problematic. And that's one of the reasons that I tell people when they reach out to me when they're having and experiencing these kinds of flight interruption issues, to help out the agent as much as you can. You know, Sherry, I've been in specific cities trying to get home, and I tell the agent, get us to any airport in Ohio, any airport I will drive from from Cleveland to I don't care because you know, coming into Cincinnati or Dayton, perhaps the flights are filled. And if I can give them the option of you know, four or five different airports, it really enhances our chances of getting home. Now, look, I've got to pay for the rental car to get us back, so I make sure that that's available first. But if that's the case, point, I mean, if you can help the agent out. Sometimes it means the difference between a day or two and getting home or getting to your destination.
Speaker 1: Well, and I always consider the time value of money. You know, if I'm going to sit around an airport for four or five six hours and I have to pay a few hundred dollars for the car, I'm going with the car I want home. I'm not going to piddle around in an airport or spend a night in a hotel room just to take advantage of getting flown home.
Speaker 4: Well, I tell people all the time to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, because I've seen people say, now I'll just wait for that next flight four hours from now, and then that flight cancels four hours. Lord, So now you're spending the night until the next day, and you're kicking yourself. And that's why if I can get out of town now, I'm going to do it, and I'll go as far as I can, as fast as I can, because you simply know, especially as the day progresses, because once we get into the early afternoon evening hours, when a lot of these previously delayed flights really start to become more of an issue, problems tend to get worse versus better. And that's why you know, I love flying early in the day, getting out on that originating flight if I can.
Speaker 5: That's my personal preference, all right.
Speaker 1: So at least in so far as United shut down and the Southwest Airlines shutdown, none of this relates to the shall we say safety on the aircraft itself. It's all external reservations and computer issues in terms of booking and getting people on the flights.
Speaker 4: Right, right, it would be a lot like you if you have let's just transportation wise, Let's say you've got a truck full of cargo ready to go, but they don't have the paperwork they need to leave, right, that's it. Everything's working fine, they just don't have what they need to begin the journey, and that's that's what takes place there. I've been through more than a few of the computer issues where we had problems with the weather release, flight release or something else that needed to be generated from a waiting ballot standpoint that slowed things down operationally. And it's tough, but it's it's nothing that relates to safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying to envision that ripple effect when you're shutting.
Speaker 5: Down all this air. Oh yeah, it's got either ing here. Oh not what you want.
Speaker 1: Eight thirty five ify five cares of the dog station. Don't vape on an airplane apparently that and more coming up with Jay Rattler.
Speaker 6: I'll be right back fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: We all remember time for the Channe nine weather forecasts. Got a partly Cudi downer hands today, eighty six for the high down to sixty seventy nine, which is a few clowns. Eighty eight under sunny skins tomorrow clear and sixty eight overnight and high of ninety on Saturday, dry day, it'll be seventy one right now.
Speaker 5: Time for traffic. I think.
Speaker 3: From the up trams per cent earlier, at least sixty percent of Americans waiting on an Oregon transpland are from multicultural care communities. Give the gift to bike, become an organ donor, or explore a living donation at you see how dot com slaves. Transplant crews are working with a couple of wrecks on the highway southbound seventy one at Peifer. They're over on the left hand side. Traffic slows a bit from two to seventy five westbound two seventy five are wrecked on the left shoulder before you got towards corner.
Speaker 2: Shock Kingram on fifty five KRSS the talk station.
Speaker 5: Have you ever been in a cockpit before?
Speaker 1: Jay Ratliffe has a thirty eight on a Thursday talking aviation news with I heard needy aviation expert Jay ratleft and don't vape on an airplane. I guess Jay a lesson to be learned here.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, probably because I don't know a felony and they talk about it all the time before departing. No smoking in the laboratories, no vapingh There was a gentleman on an American Airlines flight went to the laboratory, thought he and that really didn't apply to me, So he starts vaping, and unbeknownst to him that the alarm in the cockpit goes off, indicating that you know, somebody's doing what they're not supposed to do.
Speaker 1: They got VAT detectors, they have VAIT detectors in the bathrooms, They've.
Speaker 4: Got all kinds of stuff visuals there. Well, you want to know if somebody's smoking, and the alarms are set up for a reason, because if a fire breaks out, it's your toast. I mean, you can't get the airplane on ground fast enough. So what ends up taking place is the flight tens go and they open up the door and there he is sitting in vaping.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't have the right to open up the door on me.
Speaker 4: And he went on to proclaim that he was important. He had twenty five thousand followers. Brian, I mean that makes him. I think he's in at least the top five five million people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know who I am. That's it, brother.
Speaker 4: And then he goes on to say, and I love this. He says, I have a lawyer, I'm a lawyer. Blah blah blah blah blah. This is when the police are boarding and he says justice is about to be served. That I think was one of his last Yeah, yeah, he's right. Justice is about to be served and your butt is going away.
Speaker 5: Now. I don't know if you'll be charged with a felony. He should be.
Speaker 4: He will never be a lot of the fly in American airlines. I get that you'll face a pretty good fine from the Federal Aviation Administration, but it's just one of those reminders that you just don't do stuff that's going to get you in trouble. Now's if it's a severe enough infraction, they could actually divert the plane to another location in land to get you off the airplane, and that inconveniences you and does a lot of things. I think it opens you up to a lot of civil suits that people want to sue you for what you caused to happen to their flight that has been missing certain things in their life, business meetings, funerals.
Speaker 5: Those types of things.
Speaker 4: So but again, you know, this type of stuff happens, and when you recognize maybe two to three million people a day that fly, I think statistically we should be we don't have these things happen more often because when they do happen, social media makes it clear of who's doing what And yeah, this guy was trying to play the victim card and I don't think it's gonna work.
Speaker 1: Wow, well I learned something today. There's no other vape detectors in bathrooms on airlines.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've always viewed vaping as fairly inocuous compared to actually smoking. You got to have fire or smoke. The smell is obviously much much greater with smoke. The smoke actually clings to the surface of your clothes, and you reclect cigarettes, and I get all that, but vaping it's I mean, I've sat next to people who have vaped and you can barely even smell the whatever flavor it is they're vaping. Let alone have any concerns like secondhand smoke concerns. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Just well, sometimes when you are vaping and smoking, sometimes the smell to somebody like me could seem the same, so it would be you know, and again I'm no expert on it, But the point is we've had some very bad things happen in the history of aviation when people have been smoking on board aircraft when they we're supposed to and to dispose of the evidence, they throw the uh you know the quote extinguished cigarette into the trash can fully you find out it's not extinguished and it catches on fire.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's these are.
Speaker 4: The types of things that you have to make sure that you take as seriously as you need to, because you know, there's a lot of serious consequences when things go bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you there, and you know, I understand combustibility and the idea that smoking is far more dangerous, But if it's the smell then becomes the issue because of vaping. Are we going to have like shower requirements and deodorant requirements for people to get on airplanes?
Speaker 4: Jay Bright, I've had to tell people they couldn't fly because it's not like they hadn't had a bath.
Speaker 5: In three months.
Speaker 1: Oh lord almighty.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's a very delicate conversation that you have to have. But that is, you know, or you know, if somebody's acting a certain way, or if they appear to be under the influence of something I mean these are, or if they're just rowdy and they're the point where they're belligerent, you have to pull them off to the side and explain to them that they're not gonna be allowed to take this particular.
Speaker 5: Flight, but don't worry. We're going to get you on another one.
Speaker 4: We'll take care of you, and then even by launch to cand of help you kill time. But it's the airlines have the right to deny boarding to us for a variety of reasons, if somebody's not wearing enough clothing, or somebody's wearing offensive clothing. I agreed some of this is subjective, but when you try to figure out what's going to be in the best interest of the people that are flying, you can't, you know, prohibit every single piece of offensive material. But it went so bad that during the Clinton Trump stuff that sometimes people that were wearing a Trump shirt with some airlines that was considered something that other passengers could find offensive. Now, obviously, if it's a Trump shirt and he's flipping people off, I get that. But some of these were just a Trump shirt that people said that that's offensive, and you talk about ridiculous.
Speaker 5: That's how far down that path we went.
Speaker 1: Trump derangement syndrome was alive, and well maybe not anymore very much. So all right, well, let's see if we can get this other one in before we take a break. Here of parents leaving on vacation have a passport problem as a I guess this resulted in a social media a frenzy. So what's this about you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Good lord?
Speaker 4: You know this may be one of those ones. You say, Jay, you're making this up, but I am not. A family goes to an airport in Spain.
Speaker 5: They're going on.
Speaker 4: Vacation, mom, dad, and at least one child, they may have had two, I don't know. But the ten year old had a passport that was expired. He couldn't fly, okay, so they left him. They left him, they left, they went on vacation. Yeah, you know, I'm not gonna let my son's expired passport, Marian interfere.
Speaker 5: With my vacation. These moms, mom, and dad get.
Speaker 4: On the plane, leave, They call a relative to come pick up their son at the airport, which eventually I guess they.
Speaker 5: Would have done.
Speaker 4: Now what kind of meant and I can't call these people parents? Now, what kind of mentality do you have when it's okay with you to leave a ten year old at an international airport? Well, you get to go on vacation. I mean, because it was clearly the ten year old's fault that his pastor was expired because you know, they're all responsible for their own passports. No, it was clearly mom and Dad's fault, and just yeah, so that's why it went boom viral immediately, because who most people don't let their kids go to the bathroom by themselves, right at maybe ten years of age, But to leave them alone at an airport when my god, anything could happen to them, it just yeah. So I don't know what sort of legal fallback.
Speaker 5: They're going to have.
Speaker 1: They've got to have something visits, some child family protective services in order, I would hope.
Speaker 4: So I'm not saying necessarily a firing squad that might be a little extreme here, but the idea that this child and who knows what he has.
Speaker 5: To put up with when they're not at airport, oh god, but.
Speaker 4: The thought process of leaving somebody, you know, there are I have to report on sad, sad, sad stories when people show up with dogs at airports to find out they've got to pay extra and they walk away from the dog and abandon their pet.
Speaker 5: I mean that breaks my heart. Do you do it to a ten year old? Right?
Speaker 4: And that's why you'll never hear me say those words I talk about, I've seen it all.
Speaker 5: It's arrogant, it's asinine.
Speaker 4: I'll never utter those words because I'll never underestimate how stupid people can act sometimes, and this is one of those situations.
Speaker 1: Well, inevitably the bar will be lowered even further down the road someday, Jay carry fintain. It really is more problems at Boeing? Can it get any worse for Boeing? That and hub delays coming up next. It's eight forty six right now. If you've got kerosenetalk.
Speaker 6: Station fifty five KRC two years ago, Bobby carp time one more time with the Chamanine weather forecast, and be partly cloudy day to day, going up to eighty six sixty seven, low overnight with just.
Speaker 1: A few clowns, eighty eight tomorrow under sunny skies, clear night sixty eight and ninety for the high Saturday with dry conditions seventy one Right now, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Final track? The time chuck from do you see up tramping center.
Speaker 3: Nearly sixty percent of Americans waiting on an organ transplant are from multicultural communities. Give the gift of life, become an organ donor or explore living donation at u see health dot com.
Speaker 2: Slabs.
Speaker 3: Transplant crews are working with a couple of wrecks on the Highway southbound seventy one at Fifer.
Speaker 2: They're over on the left hand side.
Speaker 3: Traffic slows a bit from two to seventy five westbound two seventy five are wreck on the west shoulder before you get to Ward's corner. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's eight forty nine on a Thursday Tech Friday with Dave had to tomorrow at six thirty every Friday here in the morning show appointment listening to that one and like to think this is a point listening as well one more sevent here with Iramedia aviation expert Jay Ratliff, WHOA what more could go wrong? And Boeing Jay, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you know they're facing a work stoppage and this is from a smaller group is about thirty two hundred people and they rejected the contract and they're on strike and they're thinking, okay, well, last year at this time you and I were talking about a different Boeing strike that had thirty three thousand people walk off the job that lasts for seven weeks.
Speaker 5: This is thirty two hundred.
Speaker 4: You're thinking, Wow, the number seems a little bit easier maybe for Boeing to manage. The problem is that these are the individuals that work on the defense contract.
Speaker 5: Side of things.
Speaker 4: Oh and that represents about a third of Boeing's yearly revenue. So this is a significant group of people. And I'm really hoping that this doesn't go seven weeks, and I doubt that it will. But you know, they turned down a contract that could have given them up to I think about a forty percent pay increase over time, five thousand dollars bonus and some other things, and it wasn't good enough, and they're looking for something that and this is really I'd almost say it's one of the last hurtles that Boeing has from an employee standpoint. But they've got most everything else in line and they're turning things around in a very positive way. And certainly we wanted to continue because this.
Speaker 5: Isn't just a Boeing issue.
Speaker 4: Boeing has just a tremendous number of support businesses that they deal with that depend on Boeing that you know, for supplies, services and things of that. Yeah, and we talked. It was in April when their stock had dipped down to that one hundred and thirty four dollars a share or something. It's up to two twenty five to two thirty at this point in time because they're doing a lot of things right. The production of their aircraft is improving there, they're getting more FAA support on some of the changes that they're making and some things that need to take place. But you know, here's another hurdle for the Boeing management team to cross, and I suspect that they're going to handle it pretty well. And again internally from a management standpoint, they're putting some people in power that have engineering backgrounds and that thrills me because that's the Boeing of old and I hope that continues well, so.
Speaker 1: Do I I mean, the ripple effect. Wasn't even considering that. But clearly, these thirty two hundred folks being involved in military related contracts, they've got a lot of leverage over Bowing considering the amounts of revenue that is.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And do you think there might be a little pressure coming from DC thing get this settled, because I mean, this is a national defense conversation. Too, when you're talking about a delay in some of the technology that we need to keep going. So that's one of the reasons I think it's going to be a significant shall we say, Oh, I guess priority for boeing to get resolved one way or another. And of course the people that walk are clearly aware of that, so you know, we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Yes, we will keep the popcorn out on it. And we always done on hub delays, Jay, why not end on them today? What's it like to travel out there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think our problem children of the day are going to be Charlotte and Miami. Those two hubs I think could see some weather related delays. I think they're going to be minimal. I don't think any more about thirty minutes or so. I mean, you know, all bets are off. As far as any of the afternoon pop up storms, it could slow things down, but it's this point in time, it looks like it's gonna be a pretty decent day to travel. Still a good bit of turbulence it's out there, so if you're flying, it's not dangerous, just keep your seat belt fastened about it's just uncomfortable as you go through it. It can be a little unnerving, but believe me, having that seat belt off, kissing the ceiling is no fun. So please remember to get to the airport tours before departure, and please keep that seat belt fastened about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, every time, real quick here, I just have every time you mentioned keeping the seat belts fastened. I think of these photographs that I've seen about air travel of old days when they had like table settings and real silverware and plates and salt and pepper shakers and all that out there, that stuff's going everywhere.
Speaker 4: Well, we had a delta flight think coming out of Amsterdam. They had some turbulence where things went everywhere. Those pictures are online now, so if you google, you know, delta turbulence and you see the images of the bag carts, the food wherever. Yeah, looks like I mean, things were just thrown about.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Injuries from hitting the ceiling and injuries from things hitting you, especially when the food service is ongoing, because you never know what's going to happen until you're.
Speaker 5: On top of it, and it can get rough, Yes, it can.
Speaker 1: I've experienced some really wild turbulence of my limited flying days. Jay Ratliff, thank you so much for spending time with listeners with me every Thursday. I truly appreciate enjoying our conversations. I'm already looking forward to next Thursday, another opportunity to speak with you, my friend,