Speaker 1: This podcast is based on information sourced primarily from police and media reports, but certain names and other identifying details may have been changed or altered for privacy and security reasons. While the events in cases discussed are based on real investigations, some aspects may be simplified for time and for narrative purposes. Voice actors have been used to read from statements or documents. All information presented is intended solely to inform and raise awareness. Hosts may discuss theories regarding the cases examined in this podcast, but such discussions are not intended to and should not be considered by the listener to be legal conclusions. All persons discussed are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: This is Chief Anna Lally. Welcome to Somebody Knows Something, a podcast from the Elgin Police Department's Cold Case Unit. In this podcast, we will shed new light on cold cases in the city of Elgin by sharing untold details and by encouraging anyone with information to come forward. You will come along with real cold case detectives as they investigate active cold cases in real time and seek justice for the victims and closure for their families. We believe that the Elgin Police Department and our community can work together to bring closure to cold cases because we know that in these cases, somebody knows something.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to Somebody Knows something. The Elgin Police Department Cold Case Podcast.
Speaker 4: My name is.
Speaker 3: Detective Andrew Houghton, and I'm a detective Chris Hall. Last episode, in part one, we interviewed Barbara Glukert's brother Bob and her niece Nicole. They told us a lot about Barbara and talked about the impact that her disappearce had on her family, her community, and even the officers involved in her case. Bob ended our episode with a plead of the public to provide as much information as you can to help try to bring Barbara home.
Speaker 5: In this episode, you're going to hear the story of Barbara's disappearance directly from one of the detectives who worked this case for nearly two decades, and you will hear from people who actually knew the suspect, Thom Sirlacker, including one woman who was nearly another victim of him in Elgin in their early nineteen seventies.
Speaker 3: Last episode, we described how dedicated Mike Nelson was from the Mount Prospect Police Department when he worked on Barbara's case. According to the Gluecrat family, the entire Mount Prospect Police Department and Detective Nelson specifically have really done everything they can on her case. Now they're even letting us discuss this and look at Barbara's case in a new attempt to try to bring her home. We want to thank the Mount Prospect Police Department, the Gluecrat family, and Detective Nelson for allowing us the opportunity to tell Barbara's story.
Speaker 5: Barber's brother, Bob, also described how much Barber's disappearance impacted even the men who worked on the case. They had sons and daughters and knew the Glucert family. Mount Prospect was and still is, to some degree, a small town in the suburbs of Chicago. It's a town where people look out for one another and the citizens have a good working relationship with their police department. Bob had very positive things to say about the detectives who worked Barbara's case and the family's relationship with law enforcement and Mount Prospect speaks volumes about the caliber of the department they have there.
Speaker 3: Retired Detective Mike Nelson was gracious enough to sit down with me a few months ago to discuss Karen's case and Barbara's case. We never aired any of our interviews with him because Karen's case went in a totally different direction, but back then, Detective Nelson was talking to us about both cases, and he's a fountain of knowledge when it comes to Barbara's case. So we want to use this platform to help highlight that case and continue to discuss cold cases in Elgin here in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 5: Mike Nelson became a police officer in nineteen eighty eight. He spent over a year and a half with the Woodstock Police Department, then joined the Mount Prospect Police Department in the town where he lived his entire life. During its thirty year career, Mike was a patrol officer, a member of the Gang and Tech unit, a detective, and even a school resource officer. Mike retired in twenty eighteen, but came back as a civilian to help the police department as a management analyst until twenty twenty two, when he finally retired for good. The officers that Andrew and I have talked to about Mike speak very highly of him. They describe him as a dedicated officer who spent countless hours working for his community. And if you ask anyone in Mount Prospect about Barbara Lucre's case, they will immediately tell you that you need to talk to Mike Nelson.
Speaker 3: Chris and I both want to say that Detective Nelson's relationship with the Gluecritt family is the type of relationship that we think is crucial in these types of cases. The family knows that he cares about them and cares about the case, and he has included them in everything that he has done. The way in which he carries himself not only as an investigator, but also as a human being is something that all investigators should strive for. His suggestions to Matt and I in Season one for maps, lighting conditions, and other investigative thoughts on Karen's case were deeply impactful and deeply helpful for us, and his perspective on working cold cases for decades is something that's really valuable to us and any other investigator that's about to embark on a cold case investigation. Here's Detective Nelson introducing himself to yourself.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm a retired police officer from more Prospect, a Police department, and one of the cold cases that I worked with the Barbara Lucker case. She disappeared from our town on August twenty first, nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 6: And I'll do the best they can just to give a brief synopsis of what happened.
Speaker 4: So Barbara was walking from her home to Saint Raymond's Church, which is you know, it's in downtown my Prospect, and that was she actually went to Saint Raymonds. But you know, Saturday afternoon church was kind of like a lot of us teenagers or whatever at fourteen, you know, we would go to this Saturday Saturday afternoon you know, churches, so we could get on the way just to.
Speaker 6: Just to cover the fact that I went to school.
Speaker 3: With her, Like Detective Nelson said, he actually grew up with Barbara, so this case was really personal for him. They went to school together and attended church together. And so when he got the opportunity years later to work on her case as a detective, he jumped at the opportunity to try to bring his childhood friend home.
Speaker 5: And a lot like Karen, you look at these missing person cases and they just have a huge impact on all sorts of people. The impact everyone's lives, the impact the family obviously, but all the friends and other people in the community, and even the officers who worked these cases.
Speaker 3: Next, Detective Nelson walked us through what happened to Barbara that Saturday evening in August of nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 4: So, so, on her way to church, she gets approached by.
Speaker 6: A person who identifies himself as Tom Edwards.
Speaker 4: He's driving a you know, a big brown sit in and he asks her if she wanted to go to a party in Displains later tonight, and if she did want to go, maybe if he could have her number and call her later where maybe they could beat up. So Barbara ends up giving her her home telephone number and goes to church. So anyway, she stops at at one of her friend's house and there were like three other girlfriends that were there, and Barbara tells them the story is, Hey, you know this guy, you guys want to go to.
Speaker 6: A party you know with me tonight?
Speaker 4: I met this guy in Wade Church and he said to was a party in Displains And they're like, you know, Barbie, just some strange guy in a car.
Speaker 6: You can't you can't go to a party with guy. No, we're not interested in going at all. So Barbara's like okay.
Speaker 4: So she starts to walk home, and on her way she stops at another friend's house.
Speaker 6: She tells the same story. Hey, you know, do you you know you want to go to a party tonight? You know with me?
Speaker 4: I met some guy and he says there's a party in Displaines and she's like.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, sure, that's detecting. Nelson went on to tell us that Tom called these girls on the phone and they agreed to meet him in the parking lot of a pizza place nearby. Tom also told him about a concert out in Huntley, and he said they could go do that and said if they wanted to.
Speaker 4: Probably at seven thirty. You know, the girls are waiting in the parking lot. He pulls up and you know, in the brown car, and they you know, they they get in the car and they sit in the front seat and off they go. So he says, hey, did you want to go to this party Displains or the concert out in Dundee, And so they decided to go to the concert and Dundee, Well, he drives roughly a mile off, stops at the Central and Bussy Roads and goes into a.
Speaker 6: You know, like a quick bar, like seven to eleven there. I think it was a seven eleven.
Speaker 4: It might have been Southland Liquors at the time, and picks up a couple of six packs of six.
Speaker 6: Packs of miicchelo and it gets back in the car and off they drive.
Speaker 5: Years later, Mike had the opportunity to interview Barbara's friends from that night. We're not going to name her in this podcast because we want to respect her privacy and because she, like Barbara, was just a young teenage girl who wanted to go out to a concert that night with a friend. Here's what Mike had to say.
Speaker 6: She's not sure. She thinks they were on the toll way, you know, to go out there.
Speaker 4: And she said, yeah, it was around nine thirty or so, maybe close at ten o'clock by the time they got out.
Speaker 6: She goes, I don't know what road we got off of back then, but.
Speaker 4: As soon as we got off the tollway, he you know, he had offered us the marijuana.
Speaker 6: We were drinking a beer.
Speaker 4: He'd reach under the seat and pulled out like a couple of pills and gave one to you know, to Barbara and I, but you know, we were afraid to take them, so we just sort of palm these pills in between our hands and the bottles, you know, just to kind of hide them, you know, but we didn't take them. So ten minutes after getting off the tollway, they drove down, you know, a road, and all of a sudden there was this concert.
Speaker 6: There were hundreds of.
Speaker 4: People there, and so it's like a farm. Yeah, it was a Farman only just off a Krouster the road. I was, yeah, I'll get back to that, just to clarify, clarify that. But so this this concert, there were two bands there and it was actually put on by a manufacturing concern out of Crystal Lake. It was almost like a factory, like a you know, like a corporate party, and you know, so people everywhere and the girls, barb.
Speaker 6: Was kind of interested and just kind of go and uh, you know, listening to music.
Speaker 4: But they wanted to get away from, you know, this Tom guy. They were just kind of creeped out by him. So they went off to the concert area and they got separated.
Speaker 5: Detective Nelson detailed that the party was basically packed with people. There was a big barn in a field with the stage. Two different bands were slated to play, and cars were parked up and down the road with a few hundred people and joined the late summer weather in some live music. Tom reportedly stayed with the car, possibly to sell drugs to concert goers. Numerous people saw him there, and police later learned that this car was a brown nineteen seventy Buick Electra two two five.
Speaker 3: According to media reports from nineteen seventy six, the two bands that were playing were Blind Billy Nelson and the Cold Winds blues Band, followed by the Bloody Marys, who played on that farm stage late into the night. It was well above seventy degrees even into the evening hours, and the crowd stayed and sang and danced on what should have just been another night in roal King County.
Speaker 5: As the concert went on, Barbara's friend eventually came back near Tom's car with the boy that she had met inside the concert. Barbara's friend and the boy went to this boy's car, and so Tom went over to the car to talk to her and the boy. That's when Tom basically found his opportunity to get Barbara alone.
Speaker 3: Tom approached Barbara's friend and the boy she was with, and when she asked Tom where Barbara was, Tom lied to her. He told her Barbara had already left with somebody else. At that point, Barbara's friend told Tom that she was not going with him, she was going to leave with this other friend. She hopped in the car and left, assuming that Barbara had already done the same thing.
Speaker 5: I think it's important to remind people that it was not Barbara's friend's fault that this happened. Tom, by them, was a twenty four year old man who lied to a young girl so that he could get her friend alone. They were just two young girls who wanted to go out and listen to some live music a few days before childhood ended and high school began. But for Barbara, she would never get that opportunity to start a freshman year at Prospect High School.
Speaker 3: Shortly after her friend left, Barbara came out of the crowd looking for her, but by then she was already gone and the only person left was Thomas or Lacker.
Speaker 4: About a half hour later, witnesses that were there say that Barbara comes walking down of the crowd, and she tells Tom, listen, I gotta go home. I gotta curfew, and I got to go home. And it's eleven thirty at night, and you're not making it back to my Prospect until you know, it's at least from there, it's by at least an hour, you know, at least.
Speaker 6: So I gotta go home. I gotta go home right now. So she gets in the car, Tom gets in the driver's seat.
Speaker 4: He backs up on the Kreutzer Road, drives off towards Hamley Road. No one ever sees her again.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 3: At the time, the police only had an alias of Thomas at to work with, but the Mount Prospect detectors were really good at their jobs. They quickly identified Tom Edwards as Thomas Erlacker, and they began to piece together not only Saturday night, but the next few days of his whereabouts.
Speaker 5: Police have an idea of a few places he may have gone, and know several places that he had access to. But it seems like Erlacker killed Barbara disposed of her body sometime between late Saturday night and sometime on Monday afternoon. And here's why.
Speaker 4: On Monday, his sister wanted to Buick back, so he said, okay. So he stops at the Bwick dealership and I can't recall the name of the duo dealership, but he stops the Buick dealership in Elgin and has the trunk lock repaired.
Speaker 6: So I have a receipt for the repair or whatever that's.
Speaker 4: In evidence, and he takes the car back to his sister and kind of lose track of him. Then a little bit now in the police reports, Verlocker shows up at Chicago Sand and Gravel on twenty five. Now I think it was then it became Bluff City, I think, and I don't know what it is now, but he makes an appearance Tuesday night Tuesday evening where he buys a Suzuki two point fifty two stroke motorcycle and a union jack helmet.
Speaker 3: Thomas Erlacker was then seen several more times in the Elgin area on Wednesday and Thursday. In an odd coincidence, He then took off on his new motorcycle and drove west to the same city where Karen Schepers was born, San Francisco, California. Erlacer rented an apartment using the name and identification from a wallet that he found in a parking lot and elgend in nineteen seventy five, and he started a new life with a new name in a new city. I should add that, according to Detective Nelson, on Wednesday night before he left, a witness saw Erlacker and noticed that he had a rash on his shins. I think the general speculation is that Erlacer was walking through some poison ivy or poison oak or something like that sometime between Saturday night and Wednesday when he saw the witness. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, rashes from poison ivy and other similar plants typically appear between four to forty eight hours after exposure. So it's just one more piece of information that could be important, and it points again towards him potentially disposing of Barbara's body in some rural area.
Speaker 5: Yes back in Illinois, Mount Prospect Police had identified Thomas Arlacer as the suspect in Barbara's disappearance, and they started interviewing people while looking for Erlacer. Ultimately, they issued an arresta warrant for him with the charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor for providing alcohol and attempting to provide drugs to Barbara and her friend, and several months had passed with no signs of Barbara or Thomas Urlacker. Then things got a little strange.
Speaker 4: Just before Christmas in nineteen seventy six, one of the tenants of the apartment building named Vincent, had noticed that Tom seemed to be writing something. Seeing you're writing a letter in his apartment, obviously, didn't really think anything of it. A couple nights later, there were even when Erlocker was walking back from work, he saw a couple of uniform he got a couple of Mark Squad cars out in front of the apartment building, and he was afraid that maybe they were there for him. So he called Vince on the phone and asked him to go into my room and then go into the closet. In the closet, there's an orange crate. Inside the orange crate is a letter that I've addressed to a friend of mine.
Speaker 6: Take it and burn it.
Speaker 4: And so Vincent goes into Irlocer's apartment, goes into his bedroom, goes into the closet, sees the orange crate, sees the letter, takes it, but he keeps it.
Speaker 5: He doesn't burn it this guy. Vince ended up reading Erlacker's letter a few days later, and the things he'd read in the letter frightened him enough that he got up in the middle of the night and went to a police station in San Francisco, where he turned over the letter to the police. We have a copy of that full letter that Erlacker wrote, and it's over thirty pages long. In the letter, Erlacker detailed that he was in trouble because he had picked up a girl one night, and twenty six pages into that letter, he wrote this.
Speaker 7: I put that girl in the ground because I was afraid she was going to tell the law. I made her get me off and I didn't want to go to jail for that. But now I'm going to jail for murder. But I don't know why I did that. I guess it was paranoia that made me do it. I'm sorry I did it, but I'll pay for my penalty when I'm found.
Speaker 3: You know, Chris, One thing that always stuck in my mind about the statement is that Erlacker doesn't refer to Barbara by her name. He basically dehumanizes her and he just call her quote that girl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he never gives her the honor of calling her by her name, which is awful. She had a name, a family, friends, but he clearly didn't see her that way. Rlacer also wrote in the letter that it was his confession, and he asked the recipient not to turn him in yet because he was just trying to get some money together before he surrendered to the police. This is how Irlaker ended that letter.
Speaker 7: I send my love and the truth about the whole me, Tom Irlacer the end. What will happen now?
Speaker 3: As you can imagine, the police in San Francisco were both extremely interested but also extremely confused by this letter. I mean, the guy that turned it in had no clue who Tom Irlacker even was. He knew Tom under a totally different name, and no one in California had any idea what concert or girl this guy was talking about in the letter. Here's Detective Nelson detailing a little bit more about the letter and what police did with it back then.
Speaker 4: The way the letter was addressed. It was crudely addressed just to his friend and then just wasco Illinois. It was no actual street address or anything like that, and the detectives really didn't have much to go on so they went through a Rand McNelly map saw that Wasscoll Illinois was in Kane County. They called Kane County and asked them does this make any sense that a guy named Tom Burlocker had picked up girl and went to the concert and Kane County.
Speaker 6: They said absolutely, that makes sense to us.
Speaker 4: So on Kane County they gave that information to the Texas and San Francisco. They verified that there was a warren out for him, and our department said, yeah, go and go and get him. So they went over to the apartment the following day and knocked on the door and he answered the door. They asked him, Hey, is your name Tom Baron Locker. He said yes. He told him they had a.
Speaker 6: Warren out for him, and the arrested him.
Speaker 4: Our department went out there, picked him up and brought him back to our department where he was interviewed. And the State's attorney decided in early seventy seven to not proceed with the contributing charge because the grand jury was convening in Kane County on Barbara's disappearance and they did not want any conflict between the cases. The grand jury in Kane County ran from January till May of seventy seven. However, because there was no body and the venue could not be established, grand jury just would not bring an indictment.
Speaker 6: They just couldn't.
Speaker 4: They asked, well, if we do this and he's found not guilty and six months later, a year later, you find Barbara's body, can be bringing back in charge him.
Speaker 6: And they said, no, we won't be able to do that.
Speaker 4: So after that, he ended up moving out to Oregon after that, and that's pretty much that's pretty.
Speaker 6: Much the case.
Speaker 5: What we now know is that sometime in between nineteen seventy seven or early nineteen seventy eight, before we moved to Oregon again, Thomas Slacker moved into the second floor apartment at three to eleven Level Street. When he moved out, Karen Scheepers moved in. It's from that connection alone that we began looking into Thomas de Lacker and why we ultimately ended up getting involved with Barbara's case.
Speaker 3: Since nineteen seventy six, police have considered Erlacer as the prime suspect in Barbara's case. There was even a civil lawsuit against him back in nineteen seventy eight in which he was found civilly liable for Barbara's wrongful death. Even after the civil case, police continued to search for Barbara, but they were never able to find her. For his part, Thomas Arlacer basically recanted all the statements in his letter. He never admitted to killing Barbara, and he also never disclosed the whereabouts of her body. Then, in two thousand and four, Thomas Erlacker went to sell drugs to several men in Pueblo, Colorado, and he was murdered. The man who police still believe killed and disposed of Barbara's body, possibly the last man to know where it would be located, was gone.
Speaker 5: Over the past five decades, the Mount Prospect Police department interviewed hundreds of people, used fifty scuba divers from nine different suburban fire departments to search area bodies of water, and ran down countless leads. The original detectives on the case even called in helicopters and sixty five green berets to search rural King County for Barbara, but they still couldn't find her. As the years passed, Mount Prospect Police utilized new technology as it became available. Detectives like Mike Nelson brought in archaeologists, historical human remains, dogs, and used ground penetrating radar and specialized metal detectors and more searches for Barbara. So basically they left no stone unturned, but sometimes cases still go cold. When Detective Nelson picked up Barbara's case as a detective, years had passed, but he had this to say about working at cold case, just how impactful case like Barber's can be on so many different people, even decades later.
Speaker 6: Thirty years later, thirty five years later.
Speaker 4: When you go to interview these people, you sort of think, well, you know, am I gonna meet with someone who's gonna be pretty hostile? And I found the exact opposite. That most everyone, to a man or to a woman, was.
Speaker 6: Really forthcoming and open and honest.
Speaker 4: And you know, quite a number of them felt awful because they when you're a kind and compassionate human being, you're going to go back and think that there was something that maybe you could have done to help. There were people at that concert that night, one person in particular, who just saying that all I had to do when she walked up to the car to go, all I had to do is reach out my hand and stop her and I was close enough.
Speaker 6: To do it, and I just I just didn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, and that person is punishing themselves because there's no obviously, if you had known what was going to happen, you would have done something. But people still think, you know, maybe I could have, you know, and they just didn't. And so I know we've talked before about most people when they think about these cold cases, and they and they know that, you know, the direct family or workers, friends, you know, they're impacted by this, obviously devastated by by this.
Speaker 6: When a person disappears.
Speaker 4: And when something horrible has happened to someone, they do, but you can't imagine the grenade that goes off, and it affects people that really had no connection other than just proximity, right just actually having to be at a particular place at a particular time. And you know how all of us in our social interactions, no matter what you do today or tomorrow, and something horrible could happen to someone that you're really not connected to. And yet human beings are wired that way to sort of the in turn lies over the years and they start to feel awful. They think that there was something that could have done and they wish that there was something that they could have done, and.
Speaker 6: You really have to carry that. We have to carry that with yourself. So I don't know, that's just something I just think it's important to talk about.
Speaker 3: Mike is right, and he's a really insightful guy. The impact that these cases have on people, even people who didn't really know Barbara that well, can be immense. Detective Nelson said something else during one of my interviews with them, and it really sat with me. We weren't recording at the time, but I want to touch on it here because it really is fitting for Barbara's case, and it's also something that we thought about with Karen's case as well. I had made the comment that people have told us that it seems like you're looking for a needle in a haystack on these old missing person cases. Mike stopped me and said, it's actually worse than that. In cases like this, especially Barbara's, Mike was looking for a new in a haystack, but he didn't know where the haystack even was. Especially with Barbara's case, there's just so many places you look at and start to think, oh, this place or this person could be really relevant and then you kind of just go down the rabbit hole. It's really why information from the public is so important in these cases. It can help us narrow down locations and places and people, and it's the reasonab we're doing this podcast in the first place, to reach out to the listeners and try to get new information.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One percent. It reminds me of another missing person case that we have here in Elgin. Forty five year old Watiria Jones disappeared at the end of September in nineteen eighty three and she's never been seen since. She was reportedly on her way to either Aurora or Juliet, but she vanished. Her case in Barbara's case are prime examples of cold cases where there's just so many places to search and that we really need help narrowing them all down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, and that's where information from the public comes in. More than likely it's going to be someone in the public that help us close these area cold cases. It reminds me of Eloise, one of Karen's friends who we interviewed during season one. We'd asked Eloise for any advice that she might have for someone in a situation involving a cold case. And her advice was simple. She basically said, participate. If there's a chance to participate in an investigation or give information, then do it. So if there's people out there now who have information, come forward, or if police approach you about this case or another case seeking information, please at least consider talking to us and giving us information. We need your help on these cases.
Speaker 5: Mike also offered some really crucial advice to us. He said that the investigators on these types of cases can't be afraid to look foolish. You have to look at every lead and every tip and just run it down. We both wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment, and I think that's what you guys did with Karen's case, and that's what we're trying to do on all of our active cases. As part of this episode, we also want to talk a little bit about who Thomas Hurlaker was. I know, the last episode we detailed his history of sexual assaults, kidnapping, arson, weapons offenses, and drugs. It just so happens that during the investigation in season one, you talk to a man named James who lived in Karen's building when she disappeared, and he knew her lacker James's family owned the building on Level Street, and it was James who let Herlaker live at the address back in nineteen seventy eight. Here's James describing Thomas her Lacker.
Speaker 8: He was a very lean person and he was a cute to being involved for a girl and klutherer taste or whatever too, and to Gluzer's daughter were missing and he and were capell to be painting her up up the Andrew company like that and can you ever return? And Cody were looking into that page two. You know murderer or temple.
Speaker 6: In that.
Speaker 8: I know they've been purged, poor Oregon or whatever her dad is and he had been pant Troy.
Speaker 3: James went on to tell us that he suspected Erlacker of breaking into the apartment at one point after he'd moved out, and that he had a falling out with Urlacker. James said he didn't recall if Erlacker made money by selling drugs, but if you look back in the interviews conducted in the eighties with people like James's wife, who has since passed away, she detailed that there were drugs and young girls around the apartment building back in the seventies, and eighties, and a lot of them had to do with Thomas Urlacker. Plus we know from Tom's criminal history and other statements from different people that he was certainly using, selling, and potentially even manufacturing drugs, both at the Level Street address and at other locations. I should note that in records we've read and interviews we've conducted, there's information that James actually met with the Glucert family when there was a reward offered for Barbara's case. When I spoke with him, James did admit that he met with Barbara's father back in the nineteen seventies, but he denied having any direct information about Barbara's whereabouts and denied that Thomas ever told him anything about Barbara or her disappearance.
Speaker 6: Well Andrew.
Speaker 5: Since we started this podcast, the public hast provided a number of tips to both our email and our tip line on various cases, in addition to tips specifically about Karen. During season one, several women contacted us and reported that they had run ins in Elgin with men who attempted to abduct them or rape them in the mid to late nineteen seventies. One woman named Donna agreed to let us record her account and use it in our episode in hopes that the information could be helpful.
Speaker 3: Donna called our tip line during season one after Matt and I mentioned Thomas Arlaker in one of our episodes. She told us that she knew Thomas Rlacker because one of her friends had dated him back in either nineteen seventy two or nineteen seventy three when she was sixteen years old. Donna met Tom a few times, and one night, Tom Erlaker offered to give her a ride home, but once Donna got into his car, that's not what happened. The following is a portion of our actual police interview with Donna.
Speaker 9: He just hit shaky, greasy, kind of looking hair black dark, you know, real dark brown black. And he just wore casual clothes.
Speaker 6: Just jeans.
Speaker 10: And Okay, about how tall was he, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know if he was six foot or better.
Speaker 9: I couldn't even imagine how tall.
Speaker 6: He would be right now, Okay, well he was a little heavy. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Do you recall what type of vehicle he drove.
Speaker 9: When I saw him? What I remember? It could be wrong memory, but I remember him driving this light green Rambler. Now, since then, I heard from other people that he always drove his mother's cars, and she always would buy expensive cars, but like old ones, and so he'd be driving around a limo and he was always just driving around, scam and picking up young girls walking in the street.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and can you share any experience that you had had with him by chance?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm not sure if I was at Wing Park or where I was, but I was going to go home. I was talking to him and he says, I'll give you a ride, and.
Speaker 6: I says, oh, okay.
Speaker 9: And my parents we lived in Century Oaks, so it was a little bit of a walk.
Speaker 6: So I took the.
Speaker 9: Ride and instead of turning or keep going down McClean Boulevard, he took a left on Big Timber and took me out to the forest, Rutland Forest.
Speaker 10: Okay. And once you guys were out there, what if anything happened.
Speaker 9: Well, he tried to attack me and I fought back, and I talked, and I told him he was going to go to jail, and I talked to him and to give me a ride home. I was going to try to get out the door because I saw another car there and go up to them and try to get a ride home. And he decided to peel out and take me home. I couldn't get out of the door.
Speaker 6: That's what it was.
Speaker 9: The door handle was visited with or gone.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 9: I couldn't get out the passenger door.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 11: So just so I understand it correctly, he's obviously driving the vehicle.
Speaker 10: You're sitting in the front seat next to him. Is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yes? Okay.
Speaker 11: And that door handle that was either removed or altered in some way, that was the front door handle where you couldn't get out of right.
Speaker 9: Yes, I couldn't get out, so I was going to try to climb out the window, and that's when he took off and took me back to Elsin.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 11: And the vehicle that you were in when this occurred, was it the light green Rambler that you described or was it a different vehicle?
Speaker 6: It was the same car? Okay? All right?
Speaker 10: Do you recall how many doors it had?
Speaker 9: By chance, it was a four door what you would consider now a Pixitan, but it was a smaller car deck in the day.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 11: So you described that he started to attack you. If it's okay with you and you're comfortable, would you be able to describe in a little bit more detail, like what he tried to do.
Speaker 9: He pounced, he grabbed my arms.
Speaker 6: I think he was trying to kiss me.
Speaker 9: I was just fighting him off, and then I started telling him how he was going to go to jail if he didn't let me go, and I think I scared him.
Speaker 12: Okay, and you had you had told him all those things, and that you mentioned that there was another vehicle there also, and at that point he decided to drive back.
Speaker 6: Is that right? I was going to try to get a ride with Dick.
Speaker 9: There was a guy he went to school with us, or went to school with me, and I recognized him. I didn't know him, but I think I could have gotten a ride home.
Speaker 6: He was sitting out there with a gal that was had a date or whatever.
Speaker 10: Okay, all right, so there's a there's another vehicle with another with a couple in it. Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 11: Do you feel that that probably deterred what possibly could have happened by having other vehicle there?
Speaker 9: Yes, because it was Yeah, there was somebody there, and you know who knows?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know if it was seventy two or seventy three, So I'm not sure how far into this this guy.
Speaker 11: Was, yeah, okay, After you guys left that area, where did you guys then travel to?
Speaker 9: He went back down Big Timber Road, and instead of driving further up where you could have got to my house, or turning onto McClain, he just pulled a yui, landed halfway in the ditch and he opened the car door, and I think I was.
Speaker 6: Yelling at him and he was yelling at me.
Speaker 9: And then he got the door open and I got off into the ditch and I stayed in the ditch until he drove away.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, on your way out Big Timber, when you realized you were not going back to your house? Was there any type of conversation or did he say anything about what was happening?
Speaker 6: He just was I go, you can't, you gotta. He wouldn't stop the car, so there was an argument.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure what the words were, but he goes, no, we're going out here. Basically, you wouldn't stop it to stop saying souse.
Speaker 6: I was ready to jump out the car if I could both.
Speaker 10: Once you exited the vehicle and he drove off, what did you do next?
Speaker 6: I walked home? Okay, all right?
Speaker 11: And did you bring this incident to anybody's attention at the time, not a person, okay, And if you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for not telling anybody? I, Like I said before, I think I just I wasn't hurt.
Speaker 9: I was, you know, scared, and you know, I was upsetting, but I got home and I just figured it was okay. I mean, I was gonna it was going to be a big It was gonna be a big deal. If I told my dad, then he's going to call the police, and then it's one.
Speaker 6: Thing after another.
Speaker 9: And at that point, if I would have thought that maybe I could have stopped him from hurting people, it would have been worth it. But I was just a stupid girl.
Speaker 5: We both think that had another car not been in the forest preserved, things certainly could have gone very differently for Donna and Detective Nelson confirmed to us that Irlacker was known to disable the passenger side door of cars he used, which matches Donna's statement to a tee.
Speaker 3: I also want to point out that, as Donna said, she never told the police about this interaction with Tom Irlacker for over fifty years. The nineteen seventies was a different time. I spent over ten years working heavily on sex assault cases, and even today victims are reluctant to come forward. Now, imagine that it's three decades ago or four decades ago. The girls in these cases were young. They were treated differently by people in society and quite frankly by people in law enforcement when they tried to report situations of sexual violence. Oftentimes, young girls feared they get in trouble for drinking, or being out late, or using drugs. In Donna's case, she just didn't want to go through all the things that she knew would happen if she told somebody, so she didn't because she was just a kid.
Speaker 5: Donna is not the only woman to reach out to us about similar experiences here in Elgin. Throughout the nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties, We've had several other women tell us stories like hers as well, and none of them ever told the police either. In many cases, these girls felt that they wouldn't be believed. I think law enforcement has come a long way, and through this podcast and media that Karen and her case generated, who've had a number of women like Donna come forward to provide us information. We really do appreciate them. Trusting us. It's that type of information that could be relevant to an active cold case here in Elgin or a surrounding jurisdiction, so we encourage people to continue contacting us. We absolutely are not going to blame you for a situation like that. It was not Donna's fault that she accepted a ride from person she thought she knew, and like Bob said in Part one, it is not Barbara's fault that this happened to her. She stuck out with a friend. It's something that all of us have done in our youth. The offender in these cases is to blame, not the victim.
Speaker 3: That's right, Chris In. As law enforcement, we're here to help. If you had a similar situation happened to you in the Elgin area in the nineteen seventies, with Thomas Erlacker or with anybody else, please contact us. We're not going to judge you, and if your case ends up being in another jurisdiction, we can put you in contact with the right agency. We can also help provide social services or any other resources that you might need. Hearing your story about a place you were taken or something that someone said, or a vehicle or the way someone dressed. Those could all be important to a case like Barbara's or some other area case. So please consider at least contacting us to tell us your story if you experienced something like Donna did back in the nineteen seventies or the nineteen eighties. Well, here in part two, you've heard from Detective Nelson, and you've heard first hand accounts of who Thomas Urlacker was. Well, we know that Irlacer is not linked to Karen's tragic death. He remains the only suspect in Barbara Luker's case, and her case is still unsolved. We know that Detective Nelson and Barbara's family just want to bring her home, but we can't do that alone. Here's what Detective Nelson wants the public to remember when it comes to cold cases like Barbara's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think what's important is that you know there are still she still has family members.
Speaker 6: That are alive. And I think that it's natural for people, you know, to want want closure.
Speaker 4: You know, in this instance, we're fairly certain, you know, based on you know, his own words, his his his confession letter, that you know he did what he did, and that she is somewhere.
Speaker 6: It's just it's it's.
Speaker 4: I think it's just important that I think for people, even if they have a little bit of information and if they think that it's of no consequence, but it clearly might be. Because no one ever working cold cases, really you don't really know all the events that you what's going to be pertinent and what isn't. You just need to collect every piece of evidence you possibly can. You're just trying to put something together. And in this instance, we're just trying to find her and trying to find her body. But just know the fact that he's there, you know, and again, interviewing quite a number of people, even from the original reports, a lot of people were afraid of him, and I think it's important to know that he's that he's not around anymore, and that it's if you do know something, it's okay to talk, you know, it's okay to talk. And yeah, I think for people to know that, I think that's important. You know, it's understandable that people are afraid.
Speaker 5: We've said it before. Changes in relationships really matter. While we can work to use new technology and cases like this, tips and information from the public are crucial in cold cases. You just never know what tiny piece of information could be relevant and helps solve the case. Someone with new information who feels safe now that Irlacker is dead, or feels more comfortable providing information now that decades of time have passed, might help bring Barbara home. Like Mike said, it's understandable and okay to be afraid or nervous about reaching out to law enforcement on these cases, but it's the right thing to do. One tiny detail can make all the difference.
Speaker 3: I would also add that if you have information but you want to be anonymous, we can work with that. The information you have on a case is more important than who you are, So if you know something, say something. The Glucrat family deserves an answer in Barbara's case, they have waited long enough. Next episode, we jump ahead one year to the summer of nineteen seventy seven. The victim in our next case is not a fourteen year old child. He's a sixty eight year old black man who was living in downtown Elgin. Casey d. Kyles had recently retired when he walked into an alleyway outside the Douglas Hotel on July twenty first, nineteen seventy seven. There in the darkness less than a block from the Elgin Police Department, an unknown person stabbed him to death. Join us next episode as we review Casey's case and seek answers in another cold case homicide from the nineteen seventies of Elgin. Here on, Somebody Knows Something.
Speaker 2: If you, or anyone you know has information about this case or any other cold case in Elgin, please contact the Elgin Police Department Cold Case email at cold Case tips at ELGINIL dot gov or the cold case tip line at eight four seven cold. You can also review cold case information on the Elgin Police Department's Transparency Hub by going to ELGINIL dot gov and navigating to the Elgin Police Department's Transparency Hub, where every cold case, homicide, and missing person's case is listed with photographs and information about each case.