Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handled on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 2: Now there's an argument there.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you want to say no surgery for minors hormones? You can undo easily, by the way.
Speaker 2: You know how to make a hormone? Yeah, God, I'm guessing you don't either. And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning everybody, Thursday morning, February sixth.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, as we start another days have been a little bit of rain today, it's gonna come down. Well, it was drizzly coming in this light gentle rain. I hate gentle.
Speaker 2: So you hate gentile?
Speaker 3: I hate well yracist I am I do. I hate wet gentiles in these light rains.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of we wanted, right, Yeah, pretty much, pretty much. Amy, let me quickly cut to you and tell us what's going to happen today weatherwise.
Speaker 4: So we got light rain often on this morning, we should get a bit of a break for the afternoon. And then that second storm is moving in. It's gonna rain a little bit heavier. So they are saying that in the burn areas we could get three quarters to an inch of rain Hopefully it'll fall more slowly like this last storm and it won't cause any mud slides or anything like that. But they are prepared for it.
Speaker 2: Are they anticipating much lights?
Speaker 4: The threat is there, okay, but they're not expecting any deluges of rain or anything. And that's the ones that are the quick hard rain is the one that's most dangerous.
Speaker 2: All right. So good morning Amy, Good morning Neil, Good morning Willie Wolf And and there you are, good morning, bell Cono.
Speaker 3: What is that thing you're wearing on your head other than your hate headphone?
Speaker 2: So that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, is that?
Speaker 2: Do you have a thing like behind you? Was that the hood? Oh? It's a hood. I'm a layered guy. It's cold. Your Ted Kazinski is who you are?
Speaker 3: No, okay, and we'll Cole try shot Schreiber Kfi on the ground.
Speaker 2: Good morning, will good morning. Yeah, I'll tell I got Yeah.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you actually have seen a helicopter or a plane?
Speaker 5: The last would have been like two weeks ago. Seriously, Yeah, I have a weekend gig that involves flying.
Speaker 4: Do you know what he does?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: He is the guy who flies around the stadiums above the NFL games because they do live shots above the games.
Speaker 2: Now, do you actually fly the helicopter?
Speaker 5: No, it's a plane, fixed wing, and I run the camera. It's it's I get to not talk and just do pictures, all right.
Speaker 2: Do you use your cell phone? Oh no, it's like a half million dollar camera.
Speaker 3: Oh so it's a poorer quality than your cell phone exactly, Yes, Okay, so we got a day ahead of us. We've got John Decker, kfi's White House correspondents, who's in the Oval office all the time when because he's credited, he's one of the accredited reporters, and he is there every day as Trump does his thing. So I'm going to have him aboard and not to talk about any policy issue. It's just what's it like to be in the room with Trump? What's the flavor? It just goes on and on and do people roll their eyes? For example, as Trump goes on and on and repeats himself and and goes flying off the cuff. I mean, the guy is you know, he's not what's the word I'm looking for? He is not methodical. He doesn't go from A to B to see.
Speaker 2: Not an off the shelf type of guy.
Speaker 3: Not really, no, and a lot of it is is fun. So I'm going to talk to John and.
Speaker 2: Then we've got Mo Kelly coming aboard.
Speaker 3: At eight fifty Alec Baldwin a new reality show with Alec Baldwin. Oh yeah, we're gonna talk to him about that, and Joe Larsgart joins us. Alright, so it's gonna be a fun day. All right, guys, you ready.
Speaker 2: To do it? It is time for let me grab the copy here.
Speaker 3: Handle on the news with Amy King, Neil and me lead story.
Speaker 2: And I say good morning to you. Okay, thanks. I think you meant miss Matt though.
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 2: Uh? Oh, Matt, you're there. I can't see Matt. That's the problem. He's invisible. Oh yeah he is. He's sitting away from the monitor. All right, Matt, thank you. I appreciate the shout out. Yeah, well, you didn't get it for me. Believe me.
Speaker 3: I was just shamed into it by Amy or was it Neil?
Speaker 2: It was me, the one with a male voice sitting right in front of you. I've already forgotten. Now.
Speaker 3: If you want to know what jfk ate for breakfast, uh, the.
Speaker 1: The morning he was assassinating that I'll tell you, it's just it's Gerbil time.
Speaker 3: Who is at Alex Roza who used to be our producer before an kimeboard. Just describe it all as I have a Gerbil running around my head and that's where I go to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen it, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough, let's do it, guys, handle on the news with Amy and Me and Neil and lead Sorry kid, Well, like I said, with President Trump sort of off the cuff and he said, we're gonna take over Gaza.
Speaker 2: That's what we're gonna do the United States. We're gonna go over there. We're gonna take all the Palestinians, move them out. We're gonna go and occupy. We're going to rebuild Gaza.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be the riviera of the Mediterranean area, the Middle East, and then it'll be an international enclave.
Speaker 2: It'll be Mara Gaza for everybody.
Speaker 3: And there's a little bit of pushback, just a little bit from everybody else around the world.
Speaker 2: He was spitballing, Yeah, that's exactly the point.
Speaker 3: So his press secretary came back, he said, wow, wow, he actually meant temporarily move out. When you think about it, Let's say you go home and a lot of Palestinians are in fact coming home to their quote neighborhood and all you see is rubble, and you're giving the opportunity to go to Jordan or Egypt, and the World Health Organization is setting you up with not housing, but they even say tenpting, but the facilities and schools, et cetera for the kids while they rebuild, and then you're invited back.
Speaker 2: I would take that offer.
Speaker 3: But Germany went nuts, Saudi Arabia went nuts, certainly Jordan and Egypt. He said, if you think you're bringing two million people to our side of the fence, that ain't going to happen. We're in for I know. I talked to John Decker, who is there in the room because he's one of the accredited. He's one of the accredited reporters. It's gonna be a lot of fun, Okay.
Speaker 4: New bird flu. Six dairy herds in Nevada tested positive for a new strain of the H five and one bird flu virus, not the same as the one that's been circulating around other dairy herds around the US. That virus is B three one three. The new strain is D one one and had previously been detected only in birds and in people who had contacted with infected birds.
Speaker 2: I mean you had to be close to birds.
Speaker 3: I mean just this side of having intimate relations with birds before you could catch it. Now it is spreading like wildflower, wild.
Speaker 2: Wild wild wild fire.
Speaker 3: Yes, you heard the phrase when pigs fly, that's changing to whin cows.
Speaker 2: Fly right over the moon.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk, those looking over under every little matt and every couch cushion. Elon Musk's department, of course and their representatives are at the Center Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services this week and they're examining payment and contracting systems of the Federal Health Agency And basically they're going to look through everything. Oh yeah, they're looking to see if and you know they're going to find it. Oh yeah, there's plenty.
Speaker 3: When you have two and a half million employees at a budget of six trillion dollars, you think that you're going to find kind of some screw ups, which, by the way, I'm fine with the investigation, of course, I have no problem with the investigation. But they're firing people wholesale, shutting down entire departments.
Speaker 2: Prior to investigation. It's well, he think it's just a scare tactic. Nope, nope.
Speaker 3: I think his promise that he is going to take the government and shake it up and house I believe every word of it, and a lot of people think it's about time.
Speaker 2: It is about time. Oh it needs something. Yeah, that's it, and he's the one to do it.
Speaker 4: Amy, you can stay, but it's going to cost you a key. La City Council committee has rejected an effort to freeze the rents of tenants city wide in a you know, in connection with the fires. But they did move forward with a series of eviction protections for people who are affected by the fires. So it would ban landlords from evicting tenants for several reasons, including non payment of rent or if an owner wanted to move into a unit. Those evictions would be prohibited for a year. Again for people affected by the wildfires.
Speaker 3: I get questions all the time on handling the lot landlords who could not evict people for a year or a year and a half did not pay the rent, and now what do they do the rent? Well, they can't afford forty thousand dollars or forty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What do I do? You go wait until they.
Speaker 3: Leave and go bankrupt on you and you've just sucked up a forty five thousand dollars loss.
Speaker 2: Is what they do.
Speaker 3: Landlords got screwed really well under this.
Speaker 2: And how does the government do that without putting in the money saying well, oh, it does it all the time. You can do that. You can say you don't owe the money you are.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a moratorium where I mean you owe the money at the end.
Speaker 2: They can't.
Speaker 3: They can't forgive the money you owe privately. They don't have the right to do that.
Speaker 1: But if they're helping the hardship of one right creating a hardship to the other right, they're just moving the hardship.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 3: Landlords are the bad guys. Landlords are the bad guys. You own property, you are a bad, bad human being. And this is a city, Los Angeles, that is probably the most pro tenant right city.
Speaker 2: Santa Monica was crazy Santa Monica.
Speaker 3: If you were a landlord and you tried to evict someone and they fought it and went to court, you might as well get hand the tenant. The key to the place here, have an apartment building, It'll be cheaper for me to just give it to you.
Speaker 2: It's that bad, okay.
Speaker 1: California Governor Gav Newsome was in Washington, d C. Yesterday meeting with President Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 1: Members of Congress as well helped secure additional funds to aid the recovery of Los Angeles following the deadly and destructive wildfires.
Speaker 2: So it's legitimate.
Speaker 1: He In late January, Newsom signed the two point five billion dollar relief package. So still looking it's expensive. I don't even know the numbers at this point. It's got to be the hundreds of billions.
Speaker 3: Right, well, it's certainly the tens of billions. I mean total damage maybe one hundred billion dollars. And Newsom went met with the president, you know, the enemy, and they have audio of that meeting.
Speaker 2: Please please give us some money I need.
Speaker 6: We did it.
Speaker 2: Let me put on a ring. See you can please it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Parking lot to processing center. A Will Rogers State Beach parking lot has been designated by the EPA to be used as a temporary processing site for debris from the Palisades fire zone. The parking lot is going to be used as a staging area for potentially hazardous household items like paint, bleached asbestos, propane tanks, lithium ion batteries, all those things removed from the fire zone. And apparently Malibu's mayor and others are not too happy about that.
Speaker 3: No, does it matter where it goes. The neighbors are going to be unhappy. It's you can't win on this one. This is the ultimate nimbi. You how new, not in my backyard, not going to happen, and so lawsuits will be filed and just too bad. I mean, it's got to go someplace. And this is adjacent to the fire area. It's open, swide open. They have access to it. It's easy to get through, to separate out. It's a separation facility, basically an area where they take the toxics and they take the non toxics and what can be recycled.
Speaker 2: And it's got to be done. Without it, you can't clean up the area. So they bitch, oh no, no, no, not in Santam. You're moving to a new place. What's your backyard like, it's certainly not toxic stuff. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: I'd be filing I'd be the head of the line filing the lawsuits if it were me.
Speaker 2: US flu cases.
Speaker 1: Are peaking for the second time of the season, so you've got United States seeking this or seeing the second peak in the flu. Doctor's office visits for flu dipped earlier this year, and then they jumped past the previous season's peak at the end of last month with a thirty percent test positivity rate, And obviously we've got months to go still during for the can't wait flu season. Yeah, this year, I didn't get my flu shot for the first time in either, which is you know, and I've got the suppressed immune.
Speaker 3: System, and we're both gonna die. I'm over sixty five, so I'm at risk. We're both gonna die.
Speaker 4: Well, we're all gonna die.
Speaker 6: Bill, I'm talking about next week, Dark Amy, Yeah, Amy, come on, I like Dark Did you do a story this morning, Amy about how people are happier in the morning.
Speaker 2: You're some crapola like that?
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh God, and tell him how you guys both got mad at me today. You and Ann both got mad at me because I was all happy this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's weird. It was a good mood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Amy got mad because she thought I was making fun of her when I smiled and said he when I took it from Will, thanks Will. Because nobody throws to the host. Everybody throws. The newspeople never get thrown at.
Speaker 4: I say that to Will every morning after our first little break, No, I was like, thanks Will, and.
Speaker 2: You know how you think you know how? You throw it to us? Amy? After this, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: After this, no one goes back to you in the studio, Bill Neil.
Speaker 3: By the way that the happy quotient you came up with, was that a survey that was done.
Speaker 4: A study published in the journal Journal B MJ Mental Health.
Speaker 3: They never interviewed anybody. They never in anybody here in the morning crew, I'll tell you that. All right, why don't we continue on what do you think?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Funding for fireproofing so Cow schools. The LA School District is going to set aside two point two billion dollars to repair and rebuild three of the schools that were damaged in the Altadena area. And also they're going to spend some of that money, they say, to make all campuses more natural disaster resilient. Two schools. Superintendent Alberto Carvallo on Tuesday, or LA School Superintendent sorry Alberto Carvalla, also said that they're doing new health and safety evaluations at two of the campuses that were damaged by smoke and Pacific Palisy.
Speaker 2: Now can you imagine spending that much money?
Speaker 3: It would be much much more in expensive if they just increase the dropout rate, which is already astronomically high, and then there'd be fewer students to worry about. That is a knock on LAUSD by the way, where I went to school.
Speaker 2: Just wanted to share that with you. We're aware of their work, all right.
Speaker 1: Eligible federal workers must decide by eleven to fifty nine pm Eastern time today whether to take the Trump administration's deferred resignation offer. This will allow them to leave their jobs but be paid through the end of September. So at least forty thousand employees have already accepted the package. But there's a lot of pushback as well, and they're saying if this, if enough people don't take it, then they'll be furloughs or layoffs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, though, there's no question, and that's the reason I.
Speaker 3: Think you're going to see more and more people taking it, because you get eight months, you don't have to work, and the number of people taking it is my job going to be eliminated anyway, so I might as well grab it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Is something out there that I'm looking at where I can segue right into a job in the private sector.
Speaker 1: But if they furloughed you, yeah, well, if they laid you off, wouldn't they have to give you severance?
Speaker 2: Anyways? I know, not eight months, No, not certainly not eight months.
Speaker 3: And I think you're free and clear, here's your eight months, go do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: You can go to work the next day for someone else and still because it's still yeah.
Speaker 3: So I see if I were in that position, I'm looking at the possibility being laid off, or I was planning on leaving and I was going to leave a year from now, and I had a job a possibility.
Speaker 2: I grabbed this in a heartbeat.
Speaker 4: Slip sliding away the Palace Verdes Peninsula. Of course, we've been talking about that because we've got neighborhoods that have been damaged from the slides. But NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory went and took a look and says that the slide's been moving about four inch per week.
Speaker 2: Per week, per week.
Speaker 3: Let's figure that one out per year, so that's four times fifty two.
Speaker 2: What is that figure? Two hundred? All right, so it's two hundred inchest? How many okay, how many feet? Is that? Divide by twelve?
Speaker 4: One hundred and forty four is twelve feet, So that's about what eighteen feet.
Speaker 2: Feet eighteen feet? So I feel like that that's eighteen feet a year.
Speaker 3: So you buy a house and if you're there at the bluff, we's going away. Next year, it's eighteen feet closer to the water slipping down. The year after that, it's another eighteen feet. Maybe this is not the time to buy a house near there. I wouldn't buy a house in Malibu along the water because you're going to be in one of those homes like Louisiana stilled homes to the buyou that's what it's going to look like.
Speaker 2: All right. This is an interesting story.
Speaker 1: The portion of Americans satisfied with the overall you know, nation's attitude towards gay and lesbian people, and the US has dipped the lowest levels in more than a decade.
Speaker 2: So it's.
Speaker 1: You go back and you know, according to the survey, fifty one percent of Americans say they're satisfied with national attitudes towards the LGBTQ plus community, but it's been dropping, I guess in the past couple of years. And the results reflect differences along partisan line. So of those who FI, of those who identify or lean, Republicans say they were satisfied with levels of acceptance, and then comparing with forty three percent of those that identify as Democrat.
Speaker 3: Less than satisfied. They wanted more levels of acceptance.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's dipping. Yeah, a couple way. I'll tell you why.
Speaker 3: Okay, First of all, this has a lot to do with Biden and the Democrats and why Donald Trump got elected because Biden and the Democrats made a huge deal of LGBT rights, more than inflation. That was more important, more important than immigration. They just read it wrong. They just read it wrong. And this is why I think one of the major reasons Republicans did as well.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 3: They pick up seats in the Senate, they did okay in the House, and of course they picked up the presidency and the and you now have a White House, you have a Congress that is for the most part anti LGP, anti LGPT right LGP, MF few or exactly. And so you know, when you have an administration moving and a society moving that fast in that direction, people are influenced by it.
Speaker 1: I think people put on the brakes when it comes to children and the trans stuff with children. I think, yeah, people at least slow down, even those of us who are supportive.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I'm totally supportive of trans rights.
Speaker 3: I mean I but the argument is, do we even look at whether women who used to be men and are now playing in women's league?
Speaker 2: Is there an advantage? Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Well, if there is an advantage, and then you have to look at that physiologically, is that fair? And according to the Democrats it doesn't matter. You know, it's racism. It's the discrimination if you even talk about it. So you know they pegged it wrong. I tell you, when you look back, it's all the logic in the world. What happened politically, And so yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 4: Okay, summer's coming and six Flags need you that. It's very farm too. They're hiring hundreds of workers for the season and are doing a hiring blitz from February fifteenth to the twenty second, and they're hiring for all kinds of positions, food and beverage, ride operators, lifeguards, security people, full sales people and the merchandise stores, guest services everything. It doesn't pay great, but it'd be fun to be work at a theme park for a while, right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna know, because you have to be nice to everybody you work on a theme park.
Speaker 2: I did I wear which one Universal Studios.
Speaker 3: I was a tour guide really yeah, and those were the days when it wasn't all contrived and it was and you're talking to screens and everything is timed up. They threw you on a van for three hours and said go for it.
Speaker 2: People paying you to talk for three hours blows my mind. Yeah, weird. Yeah, And yet and the minutia you had to learn.
Speaker 3: For example, you'd go through uh there was a giant warehouse where the train would go down in the middle and it was where they kept the cars and the buses.
Speaker 2: Oh I missed them doing those period.
Speaker 3: That was fabulous. You had to know every truck and every car. Didn't you want to do a promotion with that? Uh?
Speaker 2: Were Yeah? Actually we take winners and doing the tour and just basically do the tour and they wouldn't let us. I wanted to lead a tour like I did.
Speaker 1: They just did their sixtieth is what it was, sixtieth sixty fifth. What's the weirdest bit of information from that tour that you still remember?
Speaker 3: It was one of the old German staff cars that you had. You see those open German staff cars as when that was one of Rommels legitimate staff cars they used during World War.
Speaker 2: Two, and they used it in films and television. Didn't even mention it was just a German staff card.
Speaker 3: They picked it up and they found out later it was Rommels one of them that he used.
Speaker 2: Boh yeah, weird, yeah, all right. Lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Six women along with the California Coalition of Women Prisoners, have filed the lawsuit against the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. They apparently, and this has been something we've been reading about more and more. This was a prison guynecologist. We've heard about the ones in the colleges, but various officials as well, with responsibility of overseeing the doctor allegedly ongoing sexual violence and the like. So and one of these one of these women's, John Jane Doe number three, said do that I can't even go to the gynecologists now, and I'm free.
Speaker 3: You know, I can understand these predatory cockroach gynecologists who get themselves into these positions because oh boy, you know, I'm a predator and it's a great place to be. What I have a real hard problem. Not that I don't have a problem with them, but they're easy. Put them in jail, goodbye, twenty years whatever.
Speaker 2: Naser. For example, it's the institution covering it up. Yeah, that's already knowing that it's happening. That drives me nuts.
Speaker 3: One is just a criminal, you know, unfortunately a sexual criminal, but it's criminal. It's the rest of it that I just don't get. We're talking about the schools covering it up, the Catholic church covering it up, the boy scouts covering it up.
Speaker 2: Come on, guys, that is unforgivable. Yeah, that is.
Speaker 1: That is It's like those weird you know, relationships where the guys a predator and the mom kind of turns away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she doesn't want to hear it. But that is a different there's a.
Speaker 1: Whole sy But I think you know these things and they it's anyways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we still have a couple more stories to move because we get before we get out of here.
Speaker 4: Okay, forecasters may opt out. As you know, there was a buyout offer given to federal employees. The Department of Commerce includes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Weather Service. They got the email about the federal employee buyout, essentially the exit package that allows you to resign and then get eight months of pay that we were talking about. At least one representative from Elon Musk's Department of Government Official or DOGE, got access to Noah's IT systems this week. According to people familiar with it and at the National Weather Service, they're worried that a five to ten percent staff cut could affect their ability to operate weather radar and provide timely and free forecasts, which again were very key during the wildfires.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to get to the point where the only weather person left at National Weather Service will be a guy stepping outside wedding his fingers sticking it up in the air.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the weather forecast.
Speaker 1: Seems like the wings are coming from the east back to you, all right. Google has slashed hiring targets, the company said were intended to increase the number of employees from historically underrepresentative groups. This move comes as the you know, the search giant says it's reassessing some of its diversity, equity and inclusion programs.
Speaker 2: So they're just one of another major US company to step back. It's the EI. Yeah, you see it across the board.
Speaker 3: You can see well, Google, it's a new catchphra is going to be if it's white, We're right, Oh is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Police are still trying to crack the case of some poached eggs.
Speaker 2: That was excellent, that was strong, very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred thousand eggs we're stolen from the back of a trailer in Pennsylvania. They have a value of about forty thousand dollars because eight prices are so stupid high. Four days later, law enforcement said, no leads have come in.
Speaker 3: Wow, they're going to find out that this was a cartel that realized it was easier and better paying than fittanyel and the bringing in eggs.
Speaker 2: But wasn't this expected?
Speaker 1: H man, No yoke, Hey, I'm let you finish amy before we go anywhere else.
Speaker 2: I think we're doing. No, we saw one more and let no one I'm letting you finish. You know, we don't shot wasted here wasted? You want to do one more? Oh, you're gonna We're not going to do one more. We just wormed our way through the end of the show. Oh is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And here it is, Yosemite is shutting down completely.
Speaker 4: Okay, exactly what the story is?
Speaker 2: Okay, you're being shellfish?
Speaker 4: What shellfish?
Speaker 1: Well, shell and then the fish and then made it something else, kind of the egg.
Speaker 2: You know, we are we are losing.
Speaker 3: We are losing listeners by the Yeah, that's our fault, by the car load.
Speaker 2: Here. You know that, don't you. I'm trying to think for.
Speaker 3: Those of you that those yeah, that too, for those of you the case, oh boy.
Speaker 2: For those of you that are left listening to the show.
Speaker 3: We're coming back talking to John Decker, kfi's White House correspondent, who's in the room, in the room when Trump and we're talking about the Oval Office, when Trump signs his orders in front of reporters and goes on for a couple of hours.
Speaker 2: He's there.
Speaker 3: I want to ask him not about the policy stuff, but about the flavor of the room.
Speaker 2: What's it like in there and we'll talk to John.
Speaker 1: Coming up, I should go over easy, Come on, sunny side.
Speaker 2: Up, buddy, let's go. We are going to crack more jokes. Oh you're Satday scrambled right. KFI AM six. You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app