Speaker 1: Hammering it you make a pecking noise? There were you about to make a pecking noise?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out see no it's not. And that's why I didn't do it, because I'm like, I don't think any of this is gonna stop. Welcome so the rom com Rewind Podcast. Hi. I'm Sarah and.
Speaker 1: And like you, I love rewatching movies over and over again.
Speaker 2: You found us. You love romantic comedies, just great news, because we do as well.
Speaker 1: So this is a show where we rewatch rom comms, break them down a bit for you, maybe take a peek behind the curtain, dig beneath the surface, and decide does it still hold up?
Speaker 2: Today? We have hits Man, And if you want to reach out about anything on the podcast, maybe you wanna, maybe you want to steer the ship a little bit. We've actually got something on our Instagram right now regarding or earlier this week, regarding your favorite fall movie watches. We kind of use our Instagram account to you know, continue conversations on the pod and as well get some input from you in terms of what you liked, what you didn't like, what we should be doing more of, etc. At rom com Rewind is our Instagram account. Hitman is a twenty twenty three romantic comedy, although really I feel like it came out in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: I originally put twenty twenty four, and then I went back and I was like, it came out twenty twenty three, Like when, yeah.
Speaker 2: I know it does? I do have something about it its release. It is kind of an interesting one. It's directed by Richard Linklater, who who's kind of a it's kind of like a subculture genius. He wrote the co wrote the screen play with Glenn Powell. Richard directed Dazed and Confused, classic, the movie that gave us Matthew McConaughey. Yes, that was his first role.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, all right, East Confused.
Speaker 2: He also did the romance trilogy Before Sunset, Before Midnight, Before Sunrise, which is really cool. Hitman, though, is the story of Gary Johnson, played by Glenn Powell, a mild mannered professor of psychology and philosophy at the University of New Orleans. Gary also works for the NOPD as a civilian kind of administering the audio tech for undercover sting operations. Now, when the undercovered detective Jasper is pulled off duty. Right before you know stuff's meant to go down. Gary is forced into a what ends up being a series of kind of gambits where he needs to pretend to be a hit man in order to incriminate suspects in murder for higher schemes. The wild thing is this is based off a real person and a real story, kind of loosely based. Along the way, though, he meets Madison played by Adria Arizona, and his role as a fake hit man kind of takes a turn as Gary maybe develops some feelings for Madison. That's your lead in for hit man? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Boy, You're not a hit man.
Speaker 4: You can't be.
Speaker 3: I'm looking you up nothing. It's like you don't want exist.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm just your fantasy. So what's the biggest difference between.
Speaker 3: The real you and your occupation?
Speaker 2: By the way, my name is Gary Johnson and I'm a fake hit man.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I watched the trailer for this movie and I was like I don't get it, Like I don't understand what it is about, Like the way that they prefaced it, the way that they explained it.
Speaker 2: Like I sat there kind of you don't know if he's actually killing people? Is he the hit Man or like what?
Speaker 1: Well, I was very confused. I sat there and I was like, I don't understand it. I don't get it. This looks really cheesy. I don't think I'm gonna like it. Okay, No, it's so good. This is what I've been waiting for. I still think fall Guy is the best rom com yet this year. But I mean, considering that we now know that it's from twenty twenty three, maybe that maybe this movie Hitman was the best of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Glenn Powell, I mean, like swoon, he is a less attractive Ryan Goslin.
Speaker 2: Wow, less attractive?
Speaker 1: Okay, Ryan Gosling will always have my heart. Was that meant to be a compliment to Glenny because it is?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: Love it and Adria like, she was great in this. I thought the jokes were really funny. I thought the way that they played it, like the plot and everything they explained it, they explained it a lot better in the actual movie. I really liked this movie. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and it was nice to watch a new rom com come out where I was like, Okay, yes, I'm liking the action rom coms right now.
Speaker 2: I think action taking a little bit of a turn. I think that is this like a thriller rom com, Like there wasn't a ton of action, maybe a suspense rom com. Almost I wasn't scared. Yeah, you were never scared. I guess I agree. This was a fantastic film. I think this film it only happens like on rare occasions where you kind of catch the big, huge, massive A list superstar in like that one movie where it's like this is this is just Julia Roberts and it's it's just Richard Gear and it's just them on the movie posters, and it's just like this is a star is Born kind of thing. This is you know, made in Manhattan. The whole movie's j Lo And because she's such a big deal, you're gonna freaking love it. That's how I feel about this movie. Like it's ninety percent just Glenn Powell. It is showing such a depth of range of acting and you just can't look away. You're just like, yeah, this, Wow, he's that guy. Oh my gosh, Like this is this is huge and we've We've seen a lot of very good rom coms lately, but I don't think we've seen one that's kind of like in the Launch of a Career where we've even seen seen him a few years ago in in that Netflix one Step up, Nope, not step up, step up like he's dancing with Channing Tatum. Step up Glenn Powell's and step up.
Speaker 1: I miss that, Sorry, Powell, is that you No, you can't know that's Channing.
Speaker 2: You know, Glen Powell wasn't like Spy Kids two or something like that. Have you seen that? Oh my god, you haven't seen that. He was Oh a great deep dive, ladies and gentlemen, we're already off the rails Glen Powell Spy Kids. I'm gonna pull this up for Sarah.
Speaker 1: Tell me how old Glenn is.
Speaker 2: Okay, first, I'm gonna get Spy Kids up for you.
Speaker 1: I still I think of Spy Kids.
Speaker 2: I think of the thumbs Spy Kids three when it's a yeah, when it I went three d wow. Take a look there he is right there.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, he is.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's Glenn Powell in Spy Kids three.
Speaker 1: Wow. And and you know what, he went further than this than the main Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're right he did. Oh my god. But uh yeah, all that to say, Oh and you want to know how old Glenn Powell is, I'll look at it really quickly. I do feel this is just a unique movie in that like we're we've seen a star. He was always a great actor, but like he's now like he's a star.
Speaker 1: Well yeah and he I mean he had Twisters come out this year too, which was I've heard, I haven't seen it yet. I loved Twister the movie when I was younger. I am very excited to see Twisters. I heard it was really really well done.
Speaker 2: He also had Anyone but You come out, Yes, we have to do that. But like I think set it up as a great example of like he did star in a romcom, he just wasn't that guy yet. He wasn't that guy who could control the screen where it's like I can't not watch and listen to like with baited breath, like what is oh my gosh, what's bet Glen Powell doing here? Like he was so fascinating in this movie.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: What's how old is he?
Speaker 2: Oh? Thirty five? Thirty five? His birthday October twenty first, he's coming up. Oh he's close to my only nine days away from your birthday. Look at that's wow? Is that is he a Scorpio? Then?
Speaker 3: What is he?
Speaker 1: What day is his birthday?
Speaker 2: October twenty first?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, it's like literally the day.
Speaker 2: I believe Scorpios season watch out.
Speaker 1: I believe it's the twenty twenty two, twenty days, like it's always somewhat different, but yes, twenty I believe it's twenty one.
Speaker 2: If you can't tell, I'm being so sarcastic. I think astrology is ridiculous. Sarah loves it and love it. She loves that she's a Scorpio. She's like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leo, let's dive in. Shall we leo through?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 1: Right, let's time in. As you mentioned Gary, who was played by Glenn I'm sure Glenn picked that name, is a professor at a university in New Orleans and he's contracted out. As you mentioned Devin to the police. I say to like, do it hidden camera stuff for hitman cases? But you explained it way better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, he sets up the audio ahead of like sting operations, specifically for murder for higher situations. I don't think he picked the name Gary, though, I just want to point out I'm pretty sure the actual guy this is based off was That's right, I forgot, like, I'm sure Glenn picked that name. Like, no, no, this this is a real story. Actually, oh well, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Just thought gg you know, oh my god, we should just nickname Gigi.
Speaker 2: Sorry Gary Johnson. Yeah, would be a J.
Speaker 1: No, No, I am well aware of that. I'm saying Glenn is a G and his character in this is a G for Gary. Gg No not.
Speaker 2: Following, Oh no, no, well I'm following. I just don't don't think it's that good.
Speaker 1: Moving on one day, Like you mentioned the detective Jasper who does it, he can't do it anymore. So Gary is asked to pretend to go in to be the hit man in the meeting at this cafe. He meets with this guy. He's quite the natural, like so good that it's scary.
Speaker 3: Listen, this whole thing's got to be based on trust. Yeah, man, no shit, So how long you been doing this? That's none of your fucking business.
Speaker 4: Look at Gary, you called me to new job.
Speaker 1: The man is a natural playing some offense here.
Speaker 3: You don't know me, I don't know you at some point in the future that's gonna be a good thing.
Speaker 1: And this is the thriller aspect of it.
Speaker 2: How good he is at this, And I think this is how this is how the film draws you in, because it's Glenn Powell as Gary and he's kind of just he's a little bit of a schmuck. And then and then he's forced into this real high pressure situation, like you need to convince this guy that you are a hit man, and he just flicks a switch and there's a different character and you're like, oh my gosh. And Glen Powell goes through close to a dozen different characters throughout this film.
Speaker 1: Tailors them to what the person would be looking for in a hit man based on their Facebook or Instagram or social media.
Speaker 2: And he does it so well.
Speaker 1: So he does it too well.
Speaker 2: So immediately this isn't my best scene, but immediately I'm drawn in, like I'm leaning forward in my chair like wow, like he's oh my gosh, he's pulling off the hitman thing. Oh cools.
Speaker 1: Yes, he takes his job very seriously. He ends up replacing Jasper while he's off on leave. We kind of get the perspective that Jasper is a dirty cop. The you know, he can't be let go because of other things, and so he's just put on leave and he tailors the hit man to the client, which makes things better and more efficient in catching them in the net that Gary has placed in the water for them. He's also really good friends with his ex wife who comes one day to chat. And this is kind of, I think, where we can understand what will happen psychologically and philosophically throughout the movie. Conveniently is what he teaches at the university.
Speaker 2: Yes, he teaches that, and she kind of talks about how you know that they were married, but he she asks all these questions of like can you change, can you become a different person? Like you were always just kind of Gary and you didn't want to be pushed outside of your comfort zone. But now we're seeing in his actual life, or at least in his side job work place, he is kind of exploring all these different personas versions of Gary. Yeah, and it's at this point in the conversation he says, no, like a tiger can't change its stripe sort a thing. But what we're going to get to at the end of the story is, yes, you can. And that's kind of the full circle character arc that we're building, and this is the catalyst for us building that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think and Devin we chatted about this a few nights ago where I said, you know, they didn't necessarily have to bring in an ex wife who was pregnant, you know, going to have a child with another person, and you know they could have done it in a way that he taught that specific piece of information in one of his classes. But I think, as you mentioned, Devin when we were chatting, to know, absolutely showed that he did, in fact and could, in fact, care for someone else outside of him other than birds.
Speaker 2: It's the classic how do we explain an older man who's not married, but how do we keep desirable?
Speaker 4: We kill the wife or in this case, although the bird's the red flag, the maybe, but in this case the wife. Okay, I was waiting for this.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna come back to that. In this case, the wife left him and is remarried, but they're still friends. So it's like, hey, like Gary's capable of love, it just didn't work out this time, Sarah.
Speaker 1: It also shows that I think intellectually on a different level, like he I think she is some sort of professor or works in some sort of field that is exploring this additional persona theory in her work.
Speaker 2: Sarah, yes, currently has an app on her phone.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this on the pod.
Speaker 2: So how dare you call Gary's fascination with birds a red flag?
Speaker 1: Because it's to another level. I will sit in my backyard and listen to the birds for my son and you, and we'll say, oh, what kind of birds are out here?
Speaker 2: Wells?
Speaker 1: And then will turn on the Merlin app.
Speaker 2: And it's the Merlin App. Ladies and gentlemen. You just get on it. Download This episode's brought to you by the Merlin App.
Speaker 1: I wish it was, it is not, and it'll tell you based on the tweet or the chirp of the upseid bird, it will tell you what kind of bird it is. But I am not a birdwatcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but do you think if you were single for an extended period of time, I could see you going down that rabbit hole? Sarah?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: You're a lot closer to Gary than you think. You shouldn't throw stones in a glasshouse, lady, You're hilarious.
Speaker 1: Me and the birds although I have to say when I came home from Arizona showed you that app, you were obsessed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. It's one of those things that you don't think about until you see a cool bird and you're like, holy shit, get the app up, you know, Like it's not like an it's not like I'm obsessed with it, but it is nice to have.
Speaker 1: Ready, you used it on a woodpecker last.
Speaker 2: Week, pilliated woodpecker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm telling you, dude, I think you love it more than I do.
Speaker 2: Woodpeckers are huge. Nobody talks about how big woodpeckers are. They're like, tear it at that thing's gigantic and it's just kill it's killing my tree, but it's huge.
Speaker 1: It's treating the bugs out of the tree. Okay, back to back to hip man.
Speaker 2: And how do they not have like CTE? Like, I know it's a big thing in the NFL, but like a woodpecker is just literally smashing its beak against a c it's like concussion symptoms. Oh how does the woodpecker not have concussions symptoms from just like.
Speaker 1: Hammering it make a pecking noise? There were you about to make a pecking noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out no, it's not. And that's why I didn't do it, because I'm like, I don't think any of this is gonna sound.
Speaker 1: Should we move on?
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: I think we're the red flags today.
Speaker 2: God, we're just Gary's. We're just Gary's.
Speaker 1: It turns out, go okay, I'm like crying, I'm loving so hard. All right, shut this down. Gary's next assignment is a girl, is a woman named Madison. She is looking to hire a hitman for her husband. She's married, seems to have you know, a life, and then seemingly nothing after she gets married to this to her husband, this is what Gary's finding out and comes into the diner. She's really timid, tells Gary, or in this case, the new alias.
Speaker 2: Ron, And that's important. So Gary Taylor's all of his aliases to his client. He went with Ron for this meetup with Madison, and Ron continues on for a little bit. But I think we can see immediately from this meeting with Madison he's a little disarmed. He is, he's a little charmed by Madison. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He usually has like kind of like a loose script that he goes by and a way to kind of pull them in, reel them in and really understand what they're looking for.
Speaker 2: They end up flirting back and forth a little bit. We get a little bit of chemistry.
Speaker 1: Here, cats and dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she ends up having to leave early, and she tries to hand.
Speaker 1: Ron, which is the final nail on the coffin, and he.
Speaker 2: Puts the money back in her hand, and he says, do yourself a favor and take this money and make a better life for yourself, kind of kind of letting the fish off the hook here. He hat her, Yeah, and he did this when he what even gives his number to her. Yeah. And when he gets back with his other New Orleans police officers, they're like, what in the world are you doing. We're not in the business of giving people life advice. We're in the business of putting murder for higher suspects in jail. And you just let one walk out of a diner, Like, what are you thinking kind of thing? And Gary is just like, I don't know, you know, like I just thought it was the right thing to do kind of thing. Clearly, clearly caught some feelings in that quick little little meeting.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And I don't think like they get off the phone with Gary his superiors, and I don't think they realize that they're still on the phone Gary and they talk about how sweet the character that he's playing now Ron is and how he's so cool and that she'd rip out her iud for Ron is so funny, and realizes that this is someone who is accepted in basically all aspects of his life where he's not yeah, and he's a cool persona that maybe he wants to continue having in his life. Gary walks us through what happens after they're arrested, so we kind of get like a sidebar here. They go to court, have their day in court. Most often are guilty, but some get off free through the forgiveness of the one who was supposed to be off with the hit man. Like, it just kind of goes and it provides you with the full circle of what happens after and Gary's role once they are actually arrested.
Speaker 2: What do you think are the so now we've met a lot of people who were trying to hire Gary as a hit man, what do you think are the most common professions that would attract someone like that, either a hit man or somebody to hire. So really, I mean I said hitman or murder for hire. It's serial killers we're talking about. I found a twenty twelve tabulation. Actually, so some stats regarding what are the most common professions that would attract serial killers based on Okay, so the categories are They actually broke it down into categories skilled occupations, semi skilled occupations, unskilled occupations, and professional and government occupations.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I was gonna say a number one politician.
Speaker 2: To be a serial killer.
Speaker 1: They're all most most aren't narcissists and sociopaths.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, But I think they're too much in the public eye.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, just kidding, Yeah, totally kidding.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you had a moment where you were in the right area. Okay, tell me, all right, well skilled occupations, right, aircraft machinist or assembler number one?
Speaker 1: Did you do it because like you could like mess with the airplane and then they'd go down?
Speaker 2: Or I think it's just I think there's an element of uh, I don't know, expl for you, just a lot of no. No, not for the specific ones. Shoemaker or repair person and automobile upholsterer were the most common serial killer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can hide things in upholstery.
Speaker 2: The semi skilled occupations make sense though, okay, forestry worker slash.
Speaker 1: Arborists because you can hide them, bury them.
Speaker 2: Maybe also you're working with a lot of like power tools that could just yep, truck driver.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, long periods of time.
Speaker 2: For sure, you're traveling all over the country. Yeah, apps, not the.
Speaker 1: Truck driver, but like I mean, I'm saying, like just the.
Speaker 2: Journey warehouse manager. Okay, ye, unskilled occupations they got general labor like a mover or a landscaper. Good at a hotel porter, oh, because.
Speaker 1: You could take them and they'd never be seen again.
Speaker 2: And you you probably know what rooms there.
Speaker 1: Anybody who well, I'm totally kidding. I'm just I'm just playing up.
Speaker 2: Gas station attendant was third on the list.
Speaker 1: Oh you could disable the cameras well in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, I guess. I think there's just an element of being able to see people and them not assuming you of anything. You know, a hotel porter is going to see a lot of people moving around the same with a gas station attendant, right like, you're seeing so many people come through that's terrifying and professional government, occupations, police or security official, military personnel, religious official number three?
Speaker 1: Wow? Interesting? Did you know that there's a list of the horoscope that coincides with the serial killers?
Speaker 2: You're really bringing this back to Astrology's what's the list?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's I there's I can say. I don't believe there's any scorpios on there, and I don't actually know if there's any leos on there either. But there is a list.
Speaker 2: I have seen it, astrology serial killer list. I've googled it. Oh, it's a zodiac killers. What signs were serial killers born under?
Speaker 1: Legitimately? Like there is the thing?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Yes, oh, aries, Donald Harvey, the Casanova killer, Taurus. So here's the thing. I know so little about serial killers me too. These names are ridiculous. Martha the Lonely Heart's killer.
Speaker 1: Well they all had to have a name.
Speaker 2: No, Albert the moon maniac?
Speaker 1: What the what not? I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: Maybe only killed on a full moon.
Speaker 1: I'm not into true crime, but okay, that's a long list though.
Speaker 2: Whatever that was Gemini, Yeah, that's of Gemini's David's son of Sam Berkowitz, the Hillside stranglers in here? Oh, the Dracula Killer, the Milwaukee Cannibal. What, Oh, that's Jeffrey Doris. I should have known that good Woods should have known it. Well, that's a fun little deep dive if you really want to creep yourself out one yet totally people really enjoy.
Speaker 1: It though, so love true crime. We've had actually a few people messages and say like they love true crime podcasts and then ours.
Speaker 2: Which I mean, I think is great, nice little crossover with us in true crime. We should do some there, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Let them know.
Speaker 2: Let's continue.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, Gary gets a call from Madison and she has invited him to I guess a text message, not a call, to a charity event for animals, mostly dogs, and he's very surprised by this. He goes though, and finds out that she's left her husband is getting a divorce. But there's like for me anyway, at this point, I'm like, there's something more to her, Like, what is she up to do? I believe her?
Speaker 2: I seems a little too good to be true. She does.
Speaker 1: She does, like, you know, you were so scared you wanted to literally hire a hit man for your husband, but then you just like got up and left and divorced him, like, shouldn't you have done that in the first place?
Speaker 2: At least you know, yeah, very likely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they go for drinks after and she's pressing him with questions about how many people he's a hit being a hit man. Says that there's no way that he you know, oh, you couldn't be a hit man. They end up hooking up in her apartment and he loves being ron so carefree, so you know, nonchalant, doesn't have any worries in the world. Next morning, they talk and Madison asks if he wants to see her again. He says yes, of course. He lays some ground rules, saying like they can't go ever to his house, she'll never know his whereabouts. Now we have his aliases. His creepiest alias is the red head with glasses. I couldn't Yeah, I had to look away. I couldn't that. This is where the other part of the thriller, aspect to the rom com comes in. This was based It's in my quick facts, but it's based I believe on a real like a real hitman, sociopath or psychopath.
Speaker 2: I think what was her favorites? Not this one Gary, the hitman alias. I like the Russian one. He was kind of funny. There was like an all American one who was good to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I actually think I like Ron best.
Speaker 2: Oh Ron is definitely the best. Yeah he's I think Ron is the closest to actual Glenn Powells.
Speaker 1: Just a vote say that that was almost gonna come out of my mouth verbatim. Yes, I think that's totally true, and that could be why I like him. So one night, Gary goes over and Madison's like, oh, I have something we can play with, and she pulls out a gun in a very creepy way, asking him to teach her to use it. Like I said, for me at this point, again, there's just something about her that I can't pinpoint. They go to the shooting range and then they go to a club and while they're walking out, a guy named Ray comes up to them and turns and it turns out that this is Madison's husband or ex husband Ray Ron or Gary tells him that he's Madison's boyfriend. But honestly, I think Madison knew Ray would be at this bar and that they'd run into him, and that's why she did it, like she did it on purpose, Ray's about to grab Ron or Gary, and he pulls a gun out on Ray instead. She tries to push Madison, tries to push Gary to shoot Ray, but Ray ends up backing off and leaving. After Gary, Ron and Madison go for ice cream and he starts out asking questions like you guys have a different definition of divorce, like are you guys actually divorce? And she kind of plays it off like do I have a ring on my finger? Okay, girl, that means nothing.
Speaker 2: That absolutely means nothing. I agree. I thought that part was sketchy on Madison's part for sure, Like he's like.
Speaker 1: Are you actually divorced? It's the same club. It's the same club that we go to where we would see him like he knows something's fishy, but he is just he likes her so much he's clouded and blinded. Then while at this diner, they see Jasper of all people, and he comes up to Gary Ron but never says his proper name is Gary, lets him play on the persona in front of Madison as Ron.
Speaker 2: So, Sarah, can you share with us all the theories that were in your brain about this movie? Sarah thought that Jasper and Madison were in cahoots that they were trying to get Gary fired, yeah, or not fired, but like.
Speaker 1: Put in a situation where he would compromise, like whether it was the police department, whether it was him himself, whether it was to prove that he was actually a hit man when he wasn't, or like sink him and like set him up for a murder for hire and have Gary take the fall, like or was she Cia and they were trying to infiltrate or FBI and infiltrate like what this hit man organization in the NOPD was, Like I didn't know what it was, but it was something. There was just something too fishy about her. And I also knew like Jasper being in the front half of the movie, like being shown as like a dirty cop and like being put on leave but then brought back and still on the same squad like as the police chief. I'd say, you're no longer in this role and you're now on a different department, Like don't keep him in the department you now kicked him out of He's just disgruntled and pissed off.
Speaker 2: Oh hr, Sarah's here too.
Speaker 1: Like like seriously, it's common sense.
Speaker 2: I will say one thing that I loved about this movie. As we get through kind of the beginning and middle phases of the film, it always always stayed so grounded, fun facts. It did none of what Sarah has brought up happens. It ended up being like like it did get a little bit wild at the end, but it was always still grounded in like, oh, this is totally possible. I could see this happening as opposed to like a I think about like a Mister and Miss Smith, Yeah, the Killers with Ashton Kutcher. I think about Night and Day with Tom Cruise, how it's fantastical and it's oh my god, and he's he's a superhero and it's like no, Gary's just a dude who pretends to be a hit man. Hit man aren't real and he just puts stupid people away. And it's a very grounded film. And I love that about this film.
Speaker 1: And you when we were chatting early, when we were chatting earlier this week, you did mention that, and I think that pulled me back from this like this Hollywood thing that they always do where they push the boundaries to make it in the end ridiculous, like and it makes your mind think like, oh, like I could write this script, this is what's gonna happen because this is blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: She's in the CIA, Like, no, she's just a little crazy.
Speaker 1: And I think it grounded me in the sense that, yes, this movie is just a really great movie without it having to be pushed over the edge of being ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. The ridiculousness is him dressing up like all these different hitmen. It was like the perfect but it was a true story, like that this guy actually was pretending to be a hitman in Texas is the real story. So it's like it's still based in real truth. It's a real story that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I think was so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the next worksting the guy's name, Gary comes in and he's like, I know nothing about this guy. I wasn't able to do any research. This is like a last minute thing.
Speaker 2: What is it.
Speaker 1: They're like his superiors and his crew were like, okay, his name's Mike. That's all. We got nothing to go on. It's totally fine. I did get this, guess correct. I was like, this is Ray, This is it the ex husband Madison's ex Ray. Of course it is I knew it. He wants to put a hit out on his wife and the new boyfriend, which of course is Gary Ron. It's a twoffert as he says, which I laughed at. He wants both of them hit and even brought extra money. Then as a special request, he asks that when she when things are about to happen, say this is from your husband. And then in that moment, so again, because they didn't have time to prep it's only audio, so there's no visual on this. They didn't have time to put videos in. So Ron Gary Gary Ron is able to turn around and actually show Ray his face to say like, dude, you literally hired the wrong hit man, Like you are totally effing yourself.
Speaker 2: Here because Ray has met Gary Ron. So he's like, oh my god, you're the guy kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he kills the sting, shows his face, and Ray runs out. Later on the next day, guess who is found dead? Ray with a as they say, a single shot to the aorta as the cause of death. They position it as a drug deal gone bad. But they're now now on the hunt for the guy that Madison was with that night outside the nightclub, which of course was Gary Ron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're looking for Madison. They're looking for that random guy. It's looking a little deep for Gary, it is, it.
Speaker 1: Is, but he keeps just lying and digging himself a hole. Gary Ron or Gary gets to Madison's house and she already knows that Ray is dead and seems completely fine with it. Then she asks, like, you know, sorry, Gary asks Madison, did you have anything.
Speaker 3: To do with it? They don't be scared. Why would you be scared?
Speaker 2: Because I killed him?
Speaker 4: You killed him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why would you do that?
Speaker 1: You told me yourself he was gonna come and kill me, so he.
Speaker 2: Was attacking you was like so off the fence technically, technically, what what was he doing?
Speaker 1: He was either passed out or asleep, and you killed him.
Speaker 2: This was almost my best scene because then we get Gary who's like you did what and she's she's this is my best scene. She oh, go ahead, go ahead, No, no, no, just because like.
Speaker 1: The first off, I you know, you walk into the situation, she already knows, like you're like, okay, the guilt is on her face, Gary, like come on, and the way she just like allows herself to explain, like I did it, And the way he's so okay with it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, you thought he was okay with him?
Speaker 1: Well he's like okay, wait what and then like but he still lied for her, Like he still continued to lie for her at that point, I'd be like calling the police and I'd be like, I found her. I found I found the killer.
Speaker 2: The funniest part of the scene, though, was that he switches from Ron to Gary. She's like, I killed him and he's like, mom, did what? And she's like, what do you mean? She thinks he's a hit man. He's like, why are you getting so worked about this?
Speaker 1: You do this shit all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't do this all the time. I've never done this. I've never killed anyone. What are you talking about? I'm a fake hitman. That's why I didn't put you away. I didn't have your rested because I was working under cover.
Speaker 1: You were cop.
Speaker 2: No, I I teach you to college. This pitman thing's just like a part time gig.
Speaker 3: She's gotten out of hand.
Speaker 1: You do this all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't kill people. What are you talking about? And she's like, what are you talking about? He's like, I'm hired by the police to pretend to be a hit man for people like y. He revealed it to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it reveals everything, just lays it all out on the line, just says like like Gary comes flying out. Oh yeah, if there was ever a master plan to save himself, he just shot himself on the foot. Yeah. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He even gives her his real name, which is hilarious, and she she's just like, I don't want nothing to do with you. Get out of my house, which is funny because I'm like, you're the one who just like you need to make sure that he doesn't tell anybody about this.
Speaker 2: So hold on, hold on. If you were her, would you kill Gary now?
Speaker 1: No, but I did think that she was gonna try, Sarah.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 2: Would you kill Gary?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You just said no.
Speaker 1: But I did think that that was the way the movie was gonna go.
Speaker 2: Suspicious ladies and gentlemen. I think she would have killed Gary there.
Speaker 1: So Gary goes back to the police station, finds out that six months ago, Ray upped his life insurance policy to one million, and that could have been why she wanted to kill him in the first place. Madison is now suspect number one in the case. Gary tells the group that he'd be surprised if she killed Ray, and again like, why are you sticking up for her?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Literally, just come clean, you know, lick your Gary wounds and continue on your merry way. But I think I wonder if the ties to having feelings for her, but also ties to loving this new wrong yes part of him, were a reason why he stayed in this like you know this world.
Speaker 2: I think you're right now. At this point, Jasper, who's still on the team, hold up. Jasper's got an idea. She thinks that Gary is still Ron right because they reveal He's like, didn't I see you out with her? And Gary's like, yeah, yeah, I just saw her briefly. Whatever. So Jasper comes up with an idea, Hey, why don't you walk back into her house. We'll mike you up and you get her to admit to the thing. Be like, hey, like Ray died, people think it's me. Did you do it? And question her and get her to admit it. Yeah, So now Ron, well Gary Ron, Yeah, Gary Ron heading back to Madison's house all miked up. He doesn't even Jasper drives with him, so he doesn't have time to call her or anything like that. This is my best scene Okay, is a really good thing because you actually see while he's walking up to her door, he's writing something on his phone, like just typing away. He busts into the house Madison's surprise, and he just he points, He literally launches his phone into her face, says police are listening. I'm Ron, not Gary, and he starts questioning her, but he's giving her on his phone all of the answers kind of like they know about the insurance policy. This is bullshit, and you, out of all people, should know that I was incapable of this. Okay, then who did what the hell happened? I just know what they've told me, which is what he got shot buying drugs. The guy was an addict.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you say he didn't kill him.
Speaker 2: When was the last time he saw him? Not that long ago?
Speaker 1: Ahead Virgos the club?
Speaker 2: Yes, the club.
Speaker 1: I was walking on a Virgos with this guy that.
Speaker 2: I met on the dance floor and deny, deny. He keeps on swapping to like notes on his phone. I thought it was because really they they were hemmed into a corner. Yes, he's got to walk in here, miked up. They can hear all of the conversation, so he needs to tell her what's happening without physically telling her what's happening, and it was such a clever way to do it. I thought this scene was just comprised so well. I thought the acting playing off each other, pretending to like like learning how the conversation's going while it's happening. Yeah, the writing was impeccable in this movie, and in this scene it really shined through. Yeah, my best scene. It was so it was so clever and so well executed. I really really liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so at the end, Gary Ron leaves and goes back to the police undercover car.
Speaker 2: Based on the audio, it seems like Madison didn't do it right he yeah, case closed, it's not her now.
Speaker 1: Jasper knows differently, So when Ron because he's still playing Ron or I guess he's not playing Ron at this point, he's.
Speaker 2: Gary Ron still yet. Yeah, he goes back to Madison's house. Yes, Jasper is already there, oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, knowing that he that Gary Ron would have shown up.
Speaker 2: And I found this really interesting because I noticed it right away that Jasper is like, you know what, let's let's grab some beers and Madison's like, I'll get them, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she gets them beers and.
Speaker 2: Then Jasper lays out his big master plan. He's like, listen, I'm not gonna I don't want to get you guys in trouble. I just want what's mine, and that's there's a one million dollar insurance policy out for Ray. So where's that money going. Some of it's go into Jasper's pocket.
Speaker 1: I think he wanted all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at a certain point during the conversation, he starts to get hot. He takes off his coat and then he starts to like lean on the table and then he falls over. And I love this because they both kind of stand there Watt like yeah, looking at him, and Madison's like, I killed him, and Gary doesn't really know what she's talking about. And then she reveals, Yeah, when she went to go get the drinks, she poisoned Jasper.
Speaker 1: Which, like with drugs, where did she get them? That's the one thing that I have a question about. Great question because like I would say, like, oh, a grap poison, sure, like that's you know, I mean, I don't have that in my house, but but like it would be an easier sell. Then where did you get those drugs? Or maybe that's what happened, she had them from when she had put a hit or hit manned herself.
Speaker 2: To ray who knows, perhaps, But I mean Gary Ron doesn't miss a beat. He grabs a bag and puts it over Jasper's head, and it is kind of like this is what we're in it now kind of thing, and they it's like it is a little bit of a dark comedy at the end here where like Gary and Madison end up like making love while Gary is dying in the living room. It's very it's it's yeah, it's just kind of dark comedy in them. And the idea was like now now they're in it, They're they're still together, they're still dating, their love and each other till death do us part kind of thing. They seal it with a kiss, and then we get a fast forward.
Speaker 1: What six years later, probably a few years for sure.
Speaker 2: They've got two kids, and we do get that kind of wrapping the character arc of Gary up in a nice little bow where he talks about how, you know, he's like I went I went full Ron and no Gary, and now I'm kind of you know, I've found the nice little meeting point of Gary and Ron. He's clearly a lot more Ron than than he was before, but he's still he's still himself in there. And they've got two kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have a whole life together.
Speaker 2: They've got a whole life together. Madison still has moments where it seems like she's a little she's got some dark edges around her. Yeah, yeah, which I think is just so like, it's not a typical rom com. It's not sunshine and daisies and rainbows. He married somebody who murdered her husband. Yeah, and he pretended to be a hit man for a while a while, definitely, And it's kind of like this quirky, weird way to end a rom com that I was actually really satisfied. I'm like, yeah, that's I'm not crying. I had no weep warnings in this movie. But I'm very pleased with how this started. The middle point was still exciting, and it ended in a really not a beautiful way, but like a really funny, quirky like, huh, it's a nice end to a movie. It's a I was a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree. Quick facts this movie was inspired by a true story and was shot over a period of a month. The real life Gary Johnson passed away early on in production and never got to see the film. Richard Linklater only talked to him on the phone and never got to meet him in person. The script originally had the story taking place in Houston, since the real life Gary was based in Houston. However, due to Texas tax credits and other financial elements, they weren't able to shoot the film in Texas. They instead chose New Orleans. This movie is based on a long form narrative nonfiction article by Skip Hollinsworth published in Texas Monthly in October two thousand and one. This marks the second time that Linklater has made a movie based on a Texas Monthly article by Hollinsworth, the first being Bernie in twenty eleven. The part of Jasper was written with Austin Amelio specifically in mind. Austin Emilio had already picked out his wardrobe for the character Jasper. He decided to research the part a bit further and went out in New Orleans Bourbon Street to find the sketchiest person he could find who just happened to be wearing almost the exact same wardrobe he had chosen.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, deep dive on your own character. Like the sketchier, the better You're gonna find the sketchiest human I can find in the city.
Speaker 1: As with most of his films, Glenn Powell's parents like to visit their son on set and usually end up doing cameos in the film. They can be glimpsed as background artists in this movie. The chemistry between Glenn and Adria was evident from the get go. Their initial meeting was supposed to last one hour, it lasted for five instead.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: As Gary is driving at the start of the movie, you can see a street called alan to Site Boulevard. The instrumental at the end of the movie is called cast Your Fate to the Wind by Allan Toussaint.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's probably Tusants.
Speaker 1: Yes, the second time I got it right.
Speaker 2: Oh who speaks French? And who doesn't I know?
Speaker 1: Adria was thrilled to work with Link later, as School of Rock in two thousand and three is one of her all time favorite movies. This is Glenn Powell's fourth collaboration with Richard linklater, after Fast Food Nation in two thousand and six, Everybody Wants Some in twenty sixteen, and Apollo ten and a Half, A Space Age Childhood in twenty twenty two. With the change landscape these days regarding sex scenes, both Glenn and Adria had input in the writing of their raw romantic scenes and in conversations with the film's intimacy coordinator on how these scenes should be filmed good for them. At one point, Brad Pitt was interested in playing Gary Johnson.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it was Glenn Powell.
Speaker 1: Me too. I think I think they I think Glenn was perfect for this role. The film was in rehearsal for two weeks before shooting actually began. Austin Amilio shares several scenes with Adria, playing a character called Madison. Of course, in the final season of Fear of Their Walking Dead in twenty fifteen, Emilio also shared screen time with a character called Madison, this time played by Kim Dickens. The teenager giving Johnson video games to kill his mom is based on the actual client meeting. The real life Gary Johnson had a Houston teenager named Sean Quinn, a brilliant kid with an IQ of one thirty one gave Johnson seven Atari computer games, three dollar bills and yeah, three dollar bills and two dollars and thirty cents in nichols and dimes to kill a male classmate he thought was trying to win the affection of a girl he liked. That's terrifying. One of Gary Johnson's outfits is based on Anton Sugar c Hi g u r H, a psychopathic hit man from No Country for Old Men.
Speaker 2: Oh is that who they were based on?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, my gosh, that's one of my favorite redhead one one of my oh interesting, one of my favorite movie scenes. There's a scene with that character in a gas station attendance, okay, and there's a coin like a flip of the coin scene. It's fine, it's just really tense. It's probably one of the most tense scenes. Like it's a top ten most tense scene in movie history. I'm gonna say, if you know the movie, you know the scene. It's prickles your hair on the back of your head.
Speaker 1: So in this movie, Madison's Character's birthday is the same as the actual actress Adria playing her character. It is for twenty five, nineteen ninety two. It is shown when Gary is reviewing her file in his computer to decide on how to approach this Hitman character. One of the personas Gary Johnson. Then Powell plays when meeting a client. Is based on Patrick Bateman character as played by Christian Bale in American Psycho in two thousand. Powell had a brief rule as Trader Number one, the stockbroker hit by Baine in The Dark Knight Rises in twenty twelve, where Bail played Batman.
Speaker 2: Other fantastic little Glen Powell. It's not a cameo because he was, but now in retrospect, it's almost like a Glen Powell cameo. There's actually a classic line in that scene because because it's come up now if you remember that, because it's come up now that Glen Powell's become so popular. He's the stockbroker and he tells Baine, He's like, there's no money here to steal, and then Bain says, well, then why are you here? Kind of thing punches on it. Sick honorable mentions. I want to play a game for our honorable mentions because I.
Speaker 1: Well, then can I go first?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead?
Speaker 1: My honorable mention is Glen Powell. Because I just think he's on the up and up, and I'm really really enjoying his movies. I'm gonna say this really quick because I just I'm thoroughly enjoying and I want him to be around for long. I don't want him to go away. I want him to stay.
Speaker 2: So my game because I hate picking the main actor I know as my honorable mention, but I have so I want him to play a game for you. Okay, it's called rising or peaked? Oh, because this film, in my opinion, like we talked about, is one of the like Glenn Powell in the last let's say eighteen months since Top Gun Maverick, Let's say, oh god, yes, he has just been climbing a mountain in terms of his own popularity. He's been just blowing everything out of the water. Twisters anyone but you, this movie, Hit Man, so many others. So I have for you a number of other, in my opinion, rising stars in acting. But I think we can decide is this actor still on the rise or have they hit their peak? Okay, which which the peak is still impressive. If you're hitting your peak at some of these actors' peaks, it's like, Wow, you did a great job. But like, is Glenn Powell. I mean, my first one is Glen Powell. My question to you, Sarah is is his stars still rising?
Speaker 1: I think his star is still rising.
Speaker 2: I think it is too.
Speaker 1: I think he's just been able to get into the lead roles and I think he's fought for a long time to get into those lead roles.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that just shows like he's willing to stick it out for as long as he can to get them. Two out of the three movies off the top of my head right now are rom comps anyone but you and this one is considered that yep. But we have twisters, which I mean they don't even kiss in that movie. Yeah, I know, right like like so we have a little bit of a different dynamic. But I think all of the movies that he's done is as of late, shows the depth to his ability to do different types of movies. And that's where you know, Top Gun Maverick comes into play. He wasn't the lead for that, he could have been. Yeah, but it goes to show like he can do action movies, he can do rom comps. Sure. It kind of reminds me and like you mentioned earlier, at the very beginning of the movie A Matthew Early, Matthew McConaughey, Okay, and Matthew.
Speaker 2: McConaughey Early, Like, I totally agree with everything you've said, because I think Glenn Powell has now reached the point of like a like a Chris Evans or like a Ryan Reynolds or a Ryan Gosling, but he hasn't had like like where is his Barbie, because Glen Powell deserves the that role, you know, that big huge the Christopher Nolan whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: Where's Where's that award? Where's that award?
Speaker 2: I think that's what's coming next for him, the like big huge blockbuster I'm on and Twisters was kind of that, and I think we're gonna see more of that. So okay, Glen Powell starts still rising similar to Glenn Powell.
Speaker 1: Timothy Shallome Oh Star still rising for sure.
Speaker 2: Dune Part two just came out of depth. He was a Willy Wonka prequel last year.
Speaker 1: It was a I again, I haven't seen the movie yet, but again was very well praised for his performance, specifically.
Speaker 2: Jenna Ortega. This one's tough Wednesday has been big yep, But I don't know how much success she's had outside of that realm. If that makes sense, she gets a lot of darker rule.
Speaker 1: She is a very dark rule person, and I don't know if she's pigeonholing herself.
Speaker 2: She reminds me of Aubrey Plaza a lot, where it's just like she's kind of like brooding.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think. I think if she can break out of the dark ish rolls, and I think it'll be hard for her. I think it'll have to be a transition, but I think she can do it.
Speaker 2: But I like her so star still rising.
Speaker 1: I think so if she can stop, if she can break out of like I don't want to see her in a crappy horror movie, yeah, yeah, because I think that will be a demise.
Speaker 3: I think she was.
Speaker 2: She was, Yes, she was, or maybe like a good horror I don't watch.
Speaker 1: Horror, but I kind of heard she was in a horror movie. I don't know how well.
Speaker 2: I think she was in the New Screen movie. Honestly, I think, yeah, Anya Taylor Joy was just in. I mean the menu was earlier. She was. She was in the Mad Max prequel. She was.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that one, curiosa. I heard it was really good, great reviews for her on that she was in. Oh my god, what's the Chess one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was in the Chess One, which was very well too.
Speaker 1: I believe is coming out sooner or whatever seasons gambit, Yes, yeah, yeah. I think she has a lot of range that potentially hasn't been discovered yet. Good choices for this discussion, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: A lot of I feel like there are a lot of actors kind of percolating, but.
Speaker 1: We need them.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: You have.
Speaker 1: A missing like there's a hole? I find I totally agree and finding there's a hole.
Speaker 2: I love Brad Pitt and George Clooney and Matt Damon, But the amount of times I'm looking at a new Wards show and it's like, oh and here's George Clooney, Oh and here's Matt Damon, and it's like, Jesus, these guys again, Like I love these guys. But like, you're right, there's there's got to be a new group coming in kind of taking over. Austin Butler is he in that group?
Speaker 1: Oh God, if I have to hear him do an Elvis? I think he's moved on A good god guy, Like let it go. I think there were some like I don't know, Heath Ledger kind of things going on there with like method acting that he needed to break out, and I'm very happy he did.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit concerning at times.
Speaker 2: I had a big role in a new biker's movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: Was just obviously Elvis. He's he's Oh, he was in the Dune. He was in Dune Part two.
Speaker 1: I think he's broken away. And thank god from the little kid movies he did when we were younger as well, right, like.
Speaker 2: I totally don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, hold on, see in little kid movies? What do you mean little kid movies?
Speaker 2: What is little kid movies? The Bike Riders, by the way, was yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes. He was in a TV show called on the CW from twenty thirteen to twenty fourteen in Old Hand one season called The Carrie Diaries.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was like I believe he played Sebastian kid. It was like spun off of like Carrie Bradshaw, but as like a little kid, right. And then you know he had other in the realm of like Disney, like he was in Switched at Birth, he was in you know, Life Unexpected, the TV show for ten episodes. He was in some stuff like Wizard of Waverley Place, Zeke and Luther, And I'm looking at his IMDb, that's.
Speaker 2: The only aliens in the attic. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Carl Neds, de Classified School Survival, Hannah Montana. Like he played like these smaller roles in all of these Disney type TV shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drake and Josh Montana, I Carl Zoe one on one Jesus.
Speaker 1: So like, I think I think it took him a long time to break out of that that role into more serious roles. So I say, just, you know, try not for super method acting. And I think he is great. I've heard he was phenomenal in Dune Part two.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he really he played off the other actor who was already in that role in terms of getting his his voice patterned down. Is very fascinating. Actually, uh, next one, Nicholas gallat Sign. We saw him in the movie opposite Anne Hathaway.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, No, I don't know. I think he might be peeking.
Speaker 2: I kind of a girl like. I've seen him in a few things. He reminds me of Noah's Toineo where it's like, is he like he's got to get something that's not on a streaming service? Really is kind of how I feel, you know, Yeah, that's not you.
Speaker 1: Know, based on a ya and to say, like, I mean, obviously the movie that he was in with Opposite and Hathaway was not. But like, I just saw a third trailer for a video where a younger guy is going for an older woman, which is again totally fine, it's great, awesome, But that's three in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Idea of You was his movie with that, which I loved.
Speaker 1: I thought it was really good. I mean, we praised it. It was great. But now I'm seeing like three, as they call them, the cougar video cougar movies, like come on, guys, like does everyone one was within? Nicole Kidman and oh my god, what's his name? Zach Efron?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I have not watched it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and then Laura Dern and oh my god, it's the most recent one. But like, do you have no other scripts? Got a lot of I'll write you a script.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of MILF movies coming out apparently, yes, uh, these ones might be a little bit more tough to identify. I've got Pedro Pascal. Is his star rising or has he peaked? He was in Game of Thrones. In the Last of Us he had that really funny one with Nicholas Cage the overwhelming weight of the Popularity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we have to wait and see the Last of Us what happens after?
Speaker 2: Well? For me, do you want a spoiler? Oh?
Speaker 1: Does he die in?
Speaker 2: Does? Does anybody want a spoiler? Put on your ear muffs. Put on your ear muffs if you don't want spoilers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I haven't watched it and I'm not going to.
Speaker 2: Based depending on how they play this out, he probably doesn't make it to the end of season two potentially yet. Mm hmm. Yeah, Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: You did tell me that, Yeah, when you were playing the game, right.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, but that's the thing in Game of Thrones, his death was so abrupt and you were like, what he's gone? Yeah, so that could still help his star rise, but I feel like he might have actually hit his Petro Pascal was so beloved. He was on Saturday Night Live last year. Is this where he's gonna sit in terms of like Kenny Ryde out the rest of his career, just as like an a he's an A lister, right.
Speaker 1: I think I think he's between the rising stars, as we say, now the younger yeah, the younger group. He is the middle where that hole is for me in terms of age, I believe.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You have the Brad Pitts, the Matt Damon's, the George Clooneyes as you say, and then you have the you know, Timothy's, and you have the Austin Butlers, and you have like all of that. But like I said, there's that middle group that's missing for me a little bit.
Speaker 2: I agree, because he's forty nine and he's in that and Pedro Pascal, yeah, and he broke in Game of Thrones and he was already like late thirt probably early forties when that happened. Late thirties, late thirties, and you're like, wow, that's how do we miss this guy for so many years? For sure, he's going to be in the Gladiator movie coming up, by the way, so excited that'll be big. Oh and he was just cast in the Fantastic Four, that's right, So his his stock probably is still rising a little bit. Florence Pugh, this one, I think is tough.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Has she hit her? She was just in the Chrystopher North Christopher Nolan movie Oppenheimer, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and again I didn't see Oppenheimer.
Speaker 2: She's in the Marvel MCU right.
Speaker 1: She in the Marvel.
Speaker 2: Oh, she was in the Black Widow prequel. She's like the opposite of Black.
Speaker 1: Widow's right, she's the sister.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about her.
Speaker 2: She's on.
Speaker 1: I think she's better than Sidney Sweeney.
Speaker 2: Wow. I think Sidney Sweeney's stock is rising like a mile a minute right now, almost as flat fast as Oh.
Speaker 1: They're hard for me, but I think it's because, like I said a few pods ago, I have not seen Sidney Sweeney in anything, so these ones are hard for me because I also haven't seen anything that Florence has been in, so I can't talk about them.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well there we have it are rising or peaked suggestions. Now we've got a what should have been?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm glad you talked me off the ledge of she should have been a CIA agent, or she should have been in cahoots with Jasper, or she should have been you know, I'm glad that that has veered a different way, and I like the groundedness that Hollywood did with this one. I am sad that it didn't come out what should have been. It should have come on our streaming service here in Canada when it went everywhere else. So if you guys listening don't know when you all got it, those of us streaming and Canada did not receive it. It only came out in theaters here for the first little while, and then it took a few more months to come out on Netflix for us. So this is why we're kind of late to the game on this one. But yeah, that would be my what should have been? Should have I don't know what Netflix did for why they did that for us.
Speaker 2: Well that is my what should have been actually out the way, not not that exactly, Okay, My what should have been is just an overall discussion of how streaming services are changing how we consume content like this because this movie fun fact, ladies and gentlemen. It was supposed to hit theaters, it was supposed to hit theaters hard, and then after its uh Toronto International Film Festival release or it's it's preview, Netflix scooped up the distribution rights. So they're like, hey, we we like this movie. We're gonna pay somebody twenty million dollars for the movie. It's gonna have a limited box office release. So this movie made four million dollars at the box office. What Flix play paid twenty million dollars for it? Its budget was eight point eight million dollars. Wow. So Netflix looks at that and they're like, hey, like, everybody's happy, right, we're paying We're giving you a nice little check for twenty million dollars, and we're gonna do whatever we want with the movie. Right. So yeah, it came out on streaming for Netflix worldwide except for Canada June seventh. But it is kind of this weird thing of like, if there's like a movie that is gonna cost a lot of money to promote and be a box office hit, some of these distributors are like, you know what, can a streaming service just take this off our hands for a nice little check twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: And this movie is now making money.
Speaker 2: It's owned by Netflix. Yeah, right, So I like, I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing. I think overall, I'm worried about it. But Yeah, I just wanted to share the backstory for how that came to be. It was literally on its way to do whatever it was gonna do, and then the tip release came out and people were like, Hey, this doesn't suck, and Netflix is like, yeah, allmine, gobble it up.
Speaker 1: That's it, right, And I think like and Netflix has recently changed the way they're releasing even their TV series, which is like irking me to know life honestly to no end, because for example, you know, the most recent Bridgerton or even Emily in Paris, they're doing them in parts. So they'll, let's say, release five episodes in September twelfth, then they'll release the next, you know, five episodes in October twelfth, and it's or whatever the Friday is. And it's frustrating as a viewer because, in my opinion, either release it or release it weekly, like release it all or release it weekly because I binged, you know, or I had friends who binged the first four episodes I believe in Bridgerton and then had to wait a whole month. But it ended on such an annoying cliffhanger that everybody was furious about it, right, Yeah, and some of those people didn't end up going back to finish watching the other half because they had to wait a month and they'd moved on to something else, right, Yeah, So I don't know what the future looks like for streaming and the distribution of content, but I do think that something has to I guess pick up the slack that is that people are non longer going to theaters in droves.
Speaker 2: Totally, and that's it. It's kind of like, overall, it might not be necessarily the best thing, but you can see why distributors are turning to it because it the dollars and cents makes sense. So definitely, it's probably just something we're gonna need to contend with and keep an eye on. I think overall rewatchability right off the top, I've got two five out of five's coming right out of the gate. Chemistry five out of five. Immediately from their first meeting and all throughout their journey of Gary and Madison, the chemistry was palpable. You could feel it. You're like, wow, yes, yes, I get it. I get the chemistry in this movie imagination. I also got five out of five for that totally. I mean, even though even though they took content matter that already existed. Let's call a spada spade. It was an interesting article about a guy's job, and they made that into a movie. I still give that full Marx for imagination because they executed it so well. First factor four point eight five out of five. Absolutely, Adria Glenn Powell. They're both gorgeous human beings. Storyline four point seventy three. I was never bored. I was never like, ah, how much longer is this? It is a little bit on the longer end. It's almost two hours long. It's five minutes shy of two hours long. But I never felt like it was too long.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say I never felt once that. I was like, yeah, making this.
Speaker 2: Through, which I think is really important. Soundtrack is the only thing I'm not gonna give it. Strong marks on three point nine to five for the soundtrack, But then she's a four point seventy five for the cheese Fantastic movie. There wasn't a whole ton of stuff that I'm like, ooh that fell flat, or like ooh, that was kind of cheesy. That's an overall score of four point seven to one for Devin, which, if you know how I score, that's into the great category. It's not an all time great, but it's this is a really great movie. Not only that, this is a great movie that you can watch with maybe a significant other who doesn't love rom coms. Don't tell them that's a rom com. Tell them it's a Glenn Powell suspense thriller and they won't be upset about it. They won't be upset, They'll still be entertained.
Speaker 1: Okay, My rewatchability is chemistry five, storyline four point five. There's factor five, imagination five, even though yeah, I was based on a you know soundtrack four geez five. For an overall score of four point seven five.
Speaker 2: This has been your rom com rewind of hit Man. Wherever you're listening, throw as a follow and if you want to talk more about this pod, this movie, anything at comer you want on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.