Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteenth, episode twenty nine.
Speaker 2: I just I feel it's appropriate to mention we lost another giant this week. That's you see his picture there of Goadalia Dove Schwartz. I mentioned also because, as I said, one of his grandsons has been a longtime listener. Just a couple of things I'll say about him. You can know well, first of all, hold on me, stop sharing. You can read about him on very good article reb Intense. I thing it is in intense Intense tank Ritensky whatever I don't know from Chicago on the the Larehouse. Although I do have to point out that he says, hold on a second, I'll get it. He says in the article I'll read you the exact words here that Rabbi Kadali Dov Schortz is the first second generation American Tomkchum to publish goduche Tora. That's that's clearly not correct. Rabbi Gadali Dov Schwartz did publish a safe Fair in nineteen fifty nine, but we had plenty of American tell me I'm in publishing red Tor beforehand. By Gifter, for instance, and I think it's ninety forty four in the tapio he's publishing, and we have many others if you look in Paradise, so then you might want to say, well, maybe he's the first to publish a safe their first that is American born. I don't know why this language at a use second generation American. Now he means American born. That's not true at all either. I'm going to show you now what I believe is the first Safer ever published by an American born Towers scholar. And I know we have many scholars of all sorts of areas. Listen to us. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe, I believe this is it. It's called Osarasota. It's a commentary on the laws of Helasota and the Rama's Mission of Torah, written by none other than ELIZARDSP. Revel. That's Bernard Revel's son. And this was published in nineteen forty one. I believe this is the first Safer ever published. He published all this for him as well, but this was his first. This is after his father passed away. His father died young el Revel also he died. I think in his fifties. Also never married.
Speaker 3: Dove.
Speaker 2: Bernard Revel has no descendants, and I believe so the bibliographers with us can correct me if I'm wrong. This is the first stay forever published by an Americans in terms of rabbi the value go Schwartz's work. You can see. Actually, we have so many things I want to show you. I'm going to delete this for now. You can see this this work, it's called the Charredula. It's a collection first of all of hollfic things the answers he gave. But even more than that, and which is most interesting is the first half of it. It's a historical overview of American Orthodoxy. Anyone who wants well, we have histories of American Orthodoxy. We have one in particular, this one of Jeffrey Gurak. What this is more of a social history. If you want to know the harmonic literature, literature from the nineteenth century before let's say nineteen World War two, great rabbis were here in far funk places from Bangor, Maine to Mapuli or Vermont to Omaha, Nebraska. You had real first quaess. Tell me to who, for financial reasons were first to come to America. And they were all over the United States, and a published story. And if you want to do a history of the way, I would do it of you know, the history of Orthodoxy. Looking at the rabbinic urture halaha, Rabbi Schwartz's first hundred well, actually it goes up to uh two hundred pages, two thirty one. Well, they skid the first part of this dealing a biographical skitch, so about one hundred and eighty pages dealing with castrous and mc close and conversion. Very very nice. His grandson. Well, first, let me show you a picture that they have in this book, because we've been we've mentioned this idea a lot already here. It is so when he received an honorary degree from yu Is there he is. He's in his his gown, cappin gown. I showed you last week from the MTJ boys, a few of them. I didn't mention instantly last week that MTJ that that big book I have gives oglist of all the rabbis serving at the well. This was when it came out about ten years ago. As rabbis in American communities in Israel, she was et cetera, very impressive. I had no idea that there were so many musmaching distinguished musmaching from mt J. One more thing I just want to show you so I thank Rabbi Godalia Dove, Schwartz's grandson who gave this to me and I wrote about this last year. The rove wrote a letter which about the It appeared in the book About in Nattie Helscott's book Community, Covenant and Commitment, and before that it appeared in let me show you that I don't know the title page here The Sanctity of the Synagogue. However, the original letter of the Rove was found in the archives of Rabbi Gadaliudolf Schwartz as in his house. You can see it on top here confidential members or a bit of a council only. And it actually and this might be the only copy that survives from the fifties and Rabbi Schwartz's grandson sent it to me. It has a very interesting point in it which anyone who wants to write about the Rove needs to know about, because he has a couple of paragraphs here. You can go to the Sparing blog in November of twenty eighteen and you can I included those paragraphs which he speaks about how sometimes you can't just you can't give an answer that people want. He says, Taku is a very prominent and characteristic, featured persha welpa. We members of the local Commission are not partners in a contracting firm whose task it is to provide every member of the Brineral Council of America with a queer cut answer to his problems. Why often the solution will lose us. We are beset by grave doubts. We face many alternatives, not knowing which to choose, which to choose, since each is supported by sound logical reasoning. We cannot be guided in our decisions by emotional factors or pragmatic arbitrariness, et cetera, et cetera. And then he says that the decision sometimes seem to inconvenience some of our members. And uh so this is a very important passage by devalued of Shorts, by the way, served as a Rabbi of the as the basin of the r Senate. Okay, let us move on a couple more things. We're gonna get to next week. We'll get to the issue I want to deal with. Uh oh, yeah, saying God's name that Mosha asked at the end of last class, can you say God's name? We'll get to that. Just too much to do today. Oh okay, two more things, dreamer things. Actually this will take it's probably totenov uh. Do you know this book? I just want to clarify last week. This is Daniel Sperber's great the volume five of his study of Minhagime. I know a lot of people were surprised about last class what I said about the minoga, and then I said to the implication of the schoch also, so let me show you what I'm talking about. Then it's in Jena Diomo. If you look in the Tour sim On six seventy three. What the tour says is that when you write down the ariskonika, you don't make a sake that is with other lights. Therefore, he says the last one, the okarone, is not for knica. So there, what is it for? The tour says it is for the light. So if you use it, you're using a light, You're not using a minoa. And then the tour says that ain't shame shamashall of we do not call this hand all the shamas while light because khama who am, because we already used the shamash to light the manoa. So we see from the tour they had two lights. Now, if you look in the s what does he say here? He says as follows. He's not so clear his language. He's quoting the tour, but he's not one hundred percent clear. He says vanoa gami near no suff He says, we're accustomed to light an additional naire, additional candle kadesh englisha yell or no suff shot. He says that, so that if you use it, you'll you're not using the manoa. Now, what's not clear about the shoa here is because uh, he's actually referring here to the second light, not the shamas. He's referring to the one you like. Afterwards, you see that if you read the door and that the Ramo says, say, oh that is in Poland and safe rock manasa. It's on a shamash. So there must says in our lands, we don't have this separate can't look light candle. We just have the shamash. So we see that the chaufrone even and what's the reason, Well, the reason is there's too there's the one you light it with, and then there's the one, the one that you use so that you don't get benefit from the light of the Manoah, and we use the shamash for that. But you see, that's what I meant when I said to chafe the chauf. He sort of abridges it so it's not really clear, but he's voting the tour that's the Roma understands them. And when he says to no near no stuff, that's after lighting the candles. Uh, that's referring to the second the second one you're light You like two things before we get to big question last week, which I think you will find of interest, is Susannah with us? If not, I'm going to hold off till she is with us because a show like this, if she doesn't write it, I'm gonna hold off till next week, uh for Susannah, And that way we won't I'm here, Oh, Susanna is here. Okay. So Susannah made a very good point last week about how sometimes even in Taanacha, you have things that don't go, don't go in accordance with the rules. So I want to show you a couple of things here delete this, here's to uh to hell him some of these telling we know very well lamitvove you'd babs. What does it say here screen up here? Alta vote amy rego gaval let not the foot of pride overtake me the al timy daney and let not the hand of the week could drive me away. What is this word al to vote amy. It's a very strange word.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You would expect to say ta voili. We don't have the new mude ending in a case like that. But this it rhymes, you see the no ending to the day to d tenny dainty. So you have TiVo ani. Another example, look over here, this is uh number man look at zion. Let's talking about the different sacrifices, and it says, oh of the hatah alta burnt offering and sent offering, hast thou not required. Wouldn't your hata? It should be hata. But again the rhyming o the rata. Here we go Another example into hill looking gimmel amri Leloheim saying to God man no ra masaka, that's a man no ram saca. Uh, that's that's not unusual. You would like you would assume it would be man poro no ra no rhin. Perhaps is there another one I want to show you? So look at the here five vers five. Looking at verse five no verse eight, the Ani bors bar lining by a tech it's strange. You'd expect maybe berra. Yes, I mean that's not grammatical per se, but it's just unusual. Okay. So now where where do I get all these examples from? And there's many, many more examples I can give you. I get it from this book. Actually this book. I found a very interesting book years ago called Parijamlitza The Safer Tailor by uh Lithuanian who went there to sorrow wrotesfari men and he came to America William Grossman's in English in Hebrew Zev Grossman book. The book has an approbation by William Chomsky. William Chomsky, who's a great Grimmerian, is the father of none other than Noah Chompsky. I don't think William Chomsky, who was one of the leading scholars of Hebrew, as far as I know, he was an anti Zionist. So Broceman wrote this book, and uh, he points out something which I find really interesting. He says his follows. You don't just speak about to Hilen. He gives an example here. Look in now this is Parahuftest thirty five. What does it say here the Asila Aronovanov? And thus show you do to Aaron and his sons? Sorry an khola short cvc. All that I have commanded osaka is about why have you ever seen this word osaker? You never say it? See that, but notice it's it's for the rhyme, the csila aronovka cohola sht cvc osaka. That there's an example where even in toward itself, we see variations from what we'd expect normal grammar when it quote should be in order for the rhyme. I was looking in this book. It's so interesting the because at the end it gives his books and lo and behold he published this book initially where he published it then in the forties, the forties or fifties here no fifty four, yes fifty four, so he has the last pages. Look at this Timuno Speakadolia. He sold pictures of the great rabbis Rashi Rambam, Joseph Kara, the Rama, the provisions Almond of readers, collars sure the kitzky and on a card, and that you could put him on the uh this is the put him on the you're the wall of the school or the base madris. So this is the rabbi cards. We all know about rabbi cards, right. I used to collect them. Ze's ellis the indefatigable zev He has an article came out a few years ago, Godolan cards and the commodification of rabbis things. I used to collect these cards.
Speaker 4: At My.
Speaker 2: Brother also did that. My brother's bar mitza for the tables of the seating instead of like one, two three, it was different. Adobi So had the beni skai and this and that, and then we had some giant ones hanging on the ceiling. One of them looked like this. This is of course the famous of Verbuhona Las. I took this. It's a huge it was like three feet and I brought it to JC where I was a student, and I hung it on the wall of our classroom. And I come back a day or two later and it's not there, And people told me that Rabbi tights took it off. So I didn't understand. Why would Rabbi tights take off the poster of Verbohonen. I know, I didn't know then, and Rohana was controversial in some of his views, but it's still not a reason to take him off. I went to Rubbi tights and he said that the room that was my classroom, they use it since we use it for Dovini Minha. You can't have a picture even of a godl on it because it's used. You could say someone could like that in that direction, whatever he says, in a show, you don't have pictures of Godoba. I guess not bolthough, in if you go into that room I showed you two weeks ago, the small not the big show. But like the base minors in Tunis, they have pictures of the great Tunisian rabbis in the actual show itself. And don't get me started by Ahabad. Obviously they have a picture of the Rebbe. Okay, the last thing I want to do now is I want to give an introduction for a minute, and then we'll get to the question and this will take us like five more minutes or so. We spoke about poetry a bit. We spoke about how it doesn't have to always be in accordant with grammatical rules, Ashkenazim. For instance, if you read the Aloc's poetry, it's in accordance with and Tchernikowski. It rhymes Ashkenazi. So it's not that the Alok is row. That's how the Ashkenazim pronounce it. Not in to reading. I'm talking about poems. The the best example of this, which you all know, even if you don't realize. You know it is a tikvah a tikfa, which uh we all know, and how it sungs. But also they say the meter not so good at meter is the same thing, but it's Ashkenazic. The whole thing is Ashkenazik. And it's strange because Israelis today all recite it, but it's not done. For example, we don't say odo av da tik it's old lo avda ha tikva, not a tik va. Uh, it's Leo the not Leotai, Ceo, not Coo. And that's okay because again that's uh, it's written and it's sung by Ashkenazi. Now why do I give this as an introduction? I give this as an introduction for the following reason. Last class I read as follows and show you what I read. I was reading aDNA ram, we are pronouncing it. And I said, uh, the second bottom line there das Ara and Mel pointed out to me, and then we had a correspondence and gave me permission to cite him that when I said the Ira, it actually is incorrect. It should be the era because look you see though I'm right there, just like over here Bira. And then he said that, uh, it's the only reason we say the chan valira is because of because of the tune the song. And he said, points out look above here we say the second line, what do we say as I'm melech. We don't say melech. We say as I'm melech with the accent on the end.
Speaker 3: And his point is and I.
Speaker 2: Said to him, I'll speak about this next week. And Mel says he doesn't know what's there to discuss. The correct stress is clearly marked in the sitter. And you do see the line there in the art under Melach under our era. Bye, someone is I hear someone? So someone has to be muted.
Speaker 5: This line.
Speaker 2: We know it's the meteg in the tower, we call it in the hummush, we'll call it a guy you here, it's a metic By the way, the don't always rely necessarily that the metics correct. For instance, I found that art Stroll gets in the bekosa shakra. Arts Throw gets it right in the morning, it's we have a broth called Sarki. He has sorry uh to make sure I don't confuse the two dispute. Actually that word the last word, it's sky. But as arts Grow gets it right, Koran gets it wrong. Koran has sa sali. It's definitely it's a meal l for the reasons that we spoke about. But Korn gets the first brough right. Sure, Nassan v Na, art Stroll gets it wrong. We know that it's a it's a pusslen In art Scow even tells you it's an eel. So it's not exactly. But this is Mell's point. Every sinner I checked, I checked all the sea during they all put the the dash there Mell Ira Ira. So they all agree, and yet I'm gonna tell you now that in my opinion, they're all wrong. And therefore, although mel says that he wonders what they're discussed, the correct stress is currently marked on the citter. I tell you right now, the correct stress is not marked on the sitter, and all these see Duriam are wrong for the reason I'm going to explain. Now, Yes, the word melick is to be written if you just have the word melic. We know that whenever there's a three two segles, it's the first syllable. So, for example, the word you don't say, which incidentally in Benching Benching is an example of where the song does mess it up. Who knows saying lastmas are we pronounce it when it should be lessen. But okay, so that's with a song you can, uh, I guess be incorrect. But my point is that this is not even incorrect. And let me explain to you. And I'm going to prove this to you in two ways and then mel and the rest. You'll either accept it or you won't accept it. Let me explain to you why. Because if a poem is written from the beginning to be pronounced a certain way, even if it doesn't fit in with we call grammar, then it is that's the way to do. So when Nel says that there are people in his shoel who go against the tune and put the stresses on the correct syllables, I say, no, they're putting this stresses on the room syllable because you can't argue with the author. And let me explain to you what I mean. Now, the author intended it to be written in a certain way, and in poetry doesn't need to be guided. So for example, here you can see I don't know. Let me just read you the first two lines. How this works. It goes as follows. You have eight syllables, and it goes no stress stress, no stress, stress, no stress. So it goes uh, don't oh lum a share ma lah the tenm call yeah, sear nivra let a nasa the tref so call zai me chef mo kru. So you see very clearly that the way the poem is set up. But we don't know who they wrote this poem. It's a medieval apparently in Spain. We don't know wrote You see very clearly that the way it's designed to be read, it's not Melach. And if someone recites the song and tries to make it as I melf instead of Melas, he's going against the intent of the author. And the author is entitled to create a poem the way he wants. And as for how I recited the end of the line value rah not val Ira. Just look at how they are the Manasco Cibo makr the a s Schanva, a e ra Hashemi, the low e ro. It is obviously designed to be read that way, despite the fact that if you take the word itself the era, it should be the era. But that's not how it's supposed to end. So now, if you're still not convinced, I will convince you now for the simple reason that a lot of people were thinking that this is the Ashka Nazi. We like to use tunes that don't go on a chord with grammar. But obviously the sardine they get it right. They'll get it right. Let me play you how the Fardim read this, and you will see they all read it the way I just said, for the simple reason that this is how you're supposed to read it. So, although so those Fahamim telling you the tune is wrong, the tune is right. And how do I know this? Well, let me play you just a couple I could do more. I found online. What you can find today is amazing.
Speaker 3: Here is.
Speaker 2: This comes from Central Asia. The caucus is just read how they I'm not gonna be able to read them all with for all of you. But listen to all these different sward and how they read it. And listen, let me make it loud so you can hear a bit go.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here you have in the middle of Asia. They read it properly. And then this isn't because of some tune and some Ashkenazi invented in Germany. How about the end? Let me get it to U the closer to the end here?
Speaker 3: Well is it?
Speaker 2: Oh my, no, same man that goes oh manica ver uh.
Speaker 5: Uh uh.
Speaker 2: They had stored him have extra verses in it. So there you see it here do we have up here's North Africans. Look how the North Africans recited.
Speaker 5: Oh sam la me? Did him cold?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Your name? Uh me? Not so cool as I may shame.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go again. Let me show you another one here we oh, actually, let me show you. I think I have one more I want to show here. Oh, here's two miss I want to show you at the end here two thirty two. I made a mark here. Listen how the last lines are.
Speaker 5: Be we sov we.
Speaker 2: Actually sorry that was the wrong one. We're a different one now okay? Whatever, Well I have here I'll play from the beginning. This is to tunis oh.
Speaker 6: Man be the ram go'sly it nash.
Speaker 5: The stoke gold as I mean.
Speaker 2: Man laugh mal laugh uh. And if I can find it quickly here these are preserving the traditional tunes.
Speaker 5: We sov we be they.
Speaker 6: And we uh I mean.
Speaker 2: And finally, oh, actually one more thing I want to show you, and then we'll be done for today. But I think you'll find those interesting because those are traditional tunes. There's a yem night wine also.
Speaker 3: Mhm, not back any co.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going home.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure looking back any con yet not.
Speaker 5: Every talk I tell him here, let me.
Speaker 2: Get down, and then uh, just to play you at the end, Oh.
Speaker 3: Is it not? Is it not?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 3: I don't arget it all.
Speaker 2: I era not a era. And the last thing I want to show you in this is I found on that very site they have a sitter from sixteen sixteen in Germany. And look how they market at the end here at the bottom here, look how they divide it the ecra the era. They divide all the endings there bit's Sarah, so that you know they're separated. So that's that. It says at the top here it says shear me at he to stay to new oak, stay to new oak. That's it's not exactly it's it doesn't always have that. But what this means is that the a tade is, for example, the shava or the that's the first, yeah, odd dome, that's the first thing, and then straight to oh uh you see the set and how that follows the model share the the tade is the first, the chava, followed by the next syllable, and then the new oat ma la. Then you go remco yeah see her. That's not every verse does that, but uh, most of the verses do that. So I rest my place that the way it should be pronounced is malech, even though that's not the grammatical, but that's how the poet intended it. He intended it to be ira rah because he wrote it, and he intended us to recite it that way, and if you look, Jews all over the world recite it this way. This is some Ashkenazic sort of uh thing. I see, we say, I'll get back to you that now about that, So I I that's that's my point. Very good. Let us move on now. But I think I made my case there that this isn't a. We had plenty of examples of pronunciation mistakes that uh that there were tunes go against the grammatical rules because we just invented the two. But here's an example where the author of the poem wanted you to say fade a certain way, and as I showed you the first two lines, it has to be melef because it goes unaccented, accented, unaccent accent, et cetera. Okay, my friends, we now turn to the safer. We went longer than I ever went, but I thought this was as you know, those who with me for many years' we don't actually we just keep going like what is it rebby tarphone? Uh you know we we says it in Turkey of us that we're not going to be able to finish everything and uh a fatha fothball. Also, you can say, because I put on the YouTube, I give a little description of what we talked about. But someone emailed me the other day that all I mentioned was the actual things in the book we speak about it, and I don't even speak about all the other things. But okay, we returned to the safer. I'm in the middle of the letter. This is page two thirty seven in the letter to Rabbi Mazu's Simon Puffi Dowd and as I mentioned that I would write him, I would save up a lot of questions or comments and then send them them. So this has maybe ten different things. The next thing is as fathers he said in he comes out, you know with this weekly rashets. So in one of them he said his follows. He quoted the Rumbumb. First of all, we all know, or we should know, that if someone says eat this non kosher food or I'll kill you, you're not supposed to be killed. You're supposed to eat it. The only exception would be if the person was doing that in a way that's say, to cause you to destroy it, wasn't doing it for his own benefit, but to destroy Judaism, something like that. But leave that aside. From now, we'll get back to that. But generally we all know that except for the three big things, a vote asara shistamin, killing someone someone says kill this person or I'll kill you, or certain sexual moralities, martyrdom is required. And Rabbi Mazous said quotes the that the the Rumbumb's position that there's there's no, the rum mom doesn't just say you don't up your life. Let's say, if someone says eating non kosher, the Rumam says you're you have the status of a suicide. If someone comes up to you with it, puts a gun to your head and says eat on young Pipper or I'll kill you, and you say, well, I'm going to be pious. I'd rather be killed. The rumbus lush on is horaisingki. It's like you're a suicide because, after all, the Torah tells us when to give up our life and when not to. And it's not your life. It's not your life to decide what you're gonna do with it, just like we all know it's not our bodies. We can't just do what we want. We can't decide that I want to give up life now I'm going to just commit suicide or something. Well, you can't say I'm just gonna you know, I don't. I can't eat non kosher, I can't eat on young Pipper and therefore kill me. The Rumm's very harsh about however, this on earth, they so safe. It's troubled him. He didn't agree with this, and he said straining him Rabbi. He says, many great people disagree with the Rambam that if you choose you, you it's like super irrogatory. If you miss a din, if someone says I'll kill you unless you eat or something, uh, then you and you decide to be martyred, you're considered pious and holy. And so we're gonna get back to this in a second. So we have a dispute here. The rum says you can't Chochnard quotes people who say you can. Ravan Mazous explain, what does it mean?
Speaker 3: What is the the.
Speaker 2: Chan i should say mean when he says that if you are killed and didn't violated, it's considered a great action. Ramazou says he did amidst of a godola the keys Hashem and he uh and Raban Maszoos writes he sanctified. And how does he say Hashem? He says, hey with a dash? So I wrote to Ramazous, is this a typo? Hey with a dash? Because the word it should be hashen hey shin man, the sanctify God's name? Where does this come from? This whole idea? It comes from this puzzle right here. Let's see we got the puzzle here Vayikra. No, it's not that here kra Peric twenty two, verse thirty two. What does it say? It says, you shall not profane my holy name as shame cud she's got I you should not profane my holy name, and uh, you should sanctify me. But the word here is shame. You see, that's where you get the idea of hello Hashem, because the it's not it's not as in God. That's my point. So if you say k hsham, it should be uh, you should just use hey, because when we use hey with a dash that refers to God. I also have another pet peeve that here. You see here people write as follows hilo hashim. That's the word hashem. That's how we write God, hushm God. That's not the name. If when you say hashm, it's and look here, look at the in the article. Why is kiddish is and hillo there lowercase and hashem hashem as in God God.
Speaker 3: But it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not God. It's not Kiddish of God. And the author here knows is not Kiddish of God, but he still writes hushim capital age. If anything, it should be small h a dash capital s if you want a GM, but not hushim, So I asked ram Azous. Though Mazus he knows everything, he writes hey, kiddish hey, and so he replieses me it really is the same thing, because he doesn't really answer the question. He says, uh, look in the pussle here vidash de bot in Israel, I will be sanctified. So he says that when you are sanctified God's name, you sanctify God. So therefore it's okay to write hey with the dash. Okay, leave it there. I still don't like it because people when they see husham, just the hey and the dash, they assume it means, you know, sanctification of God when it's not. But the bigger question is as follows, and this is when I this gets us into a very very important issue here. As I said, the Rambam holds it. If you say, if you would martyr yourself when you're not supposed to be, you're a suicide. However, the problem is that this is the position of the Rambam in the Missionta. But the ROBM has another word. It's called agherrisha shamad. The Garisha Shamad was written the Rambam. You had this the rise of this radical Islamic group called the Almaha. Yes, they were the Hamas or the Islami Jihad of medieval times. Now, the typical Muslim approach is as it says in the Quran, is there is no compulsion in religion. But there's all sorts of interpretations over what that meant. The mainstream interpretation was that for people of the book, that is Jews and Christians, you couldn't force them to convert. All you could do is keep them in like in a second class status. Dim me but Pagans, of course we're having a choice conversion or death. But there were the others who interpreted that first in a different way. And the Almohads they had a notion of conversion or death. They came into Spain and they gave people this choice conversion or death or the Rambam and his family fled to North Africa. They would then make their way to or to throw and then Egypt. Now the Ramum was asked the question because the people in Spain and in Morocco, what most of them did not all the die in the Fez, for instance, was burnt at the steak were told because he refused to convert. But what most of them did was convert to Islam outwardly. What does it mean to convert to Islam. It's not it's not so complicated like in Judaism. There's no meal or anything that's required. What's required is you say the shad. If you say it once with meaning there is no God but God. Not there's no God but Allah. There's no good Allah as God. There's no God but God. And Mohammad is is propheted. You say at one time with meaning, you're a Muslim. All you have to do is say that. And that's and most of the Jews, but the overwhelming majority of Jews, that's what they did. And they lived as secret Jews, but outwardly as Muslims. In fact, that Irma tells us that the Muslims knew that the Jews were not living privately as Muslims. I guess they figured over time they would become a Muslim. The question did the Rambam live as a Muslim? It's an interesting historical question, as he says that all of us have to live like a Muslim. So was he speaking the royal we or was he referring to himself, and he says that we all have to do this. Now, it's not a problem quote religious problem, because the rom I's going to tell you that's what you should do. But this was the biggest it's a big historical issue that the Rama himself has to live as a Muslim. Okay, so the Rombum. The problem was these Jews were challenged by this scholar. We don't know who this scholar was. The ram treats him as if he's nobody. But he couldn't have been a nobody because when he issued his ruling that all these Jews are basically i at the status of idolators because they're living as a Muslim, the Jewish community was thrown into a quandary. If he was some nobody, they wouldn't have cared. So when this unknown scholar issues this ruling, they write to the Rambum, and the Rambum issues this marvelous work the Garrison Shamad, which is the defense of the Jewish community under siege, explaining that what you're doing is absolutely correct. There's no obligation to marry yourself because Islam is not idolatry. Uh, there's a big difference between the response in the Christian lands when you were obligated tomorrow to yourself. That doesn't mean that the people who are not strong enough to allow themselves to be killed, as many Jews in France and Germany did, but in Spain, for instance, in Portugal, well Spain, let's spit to Spain now, most of them did not. It seems the majority converted from thirteen ninety one to fourteen ninety two, and many of them later then tried and fled to North Africa or the land of Israel. The difference is that they although they were not treated as evil, but there was understood there was a sin, and they were given various penances chuva to do. But in what Arama was saying is that what you're doing is absolutely correct. There's nothing wrong with because it's not idolatry Islam, and therefore all they want us to do is make a statement that you know, God is God and Mohammas's prophet to save our lives. We make a statement. According to Rama, there's no mass said, no action of idolatry. Incidentally, this position a rumbam, which seems to make a lot of sense, was subject to dispute the writs of a the baas, because you get into a big one should discussion here has I'll say that for these, for given a choice, you a votera zara or death, you have to choose death. What's the what's the real issue here? The rom Bomb holds that the issue is you can't do an action of a votazara. The action of a vota azara is so terrible that you have to the harvilov, you have to accept martyrdom. So with his mom there's no action of vota zara. It's a monotheistic religion, so of course you don't marty yourself. However, the rit of Va criticizes the ram Bomb, and then the rabbas and others, and the rivas says the things the Rambam's wrong. He says, the real problem is not the action of idolatry, bowing down to the cross or whatever, to the idol of Zeus. The issue is rejection of the Torah. That's the capital offense, denial of the Torah. When Hazau looking for an example of denial of the Torah, the example was obviously bowing down to an idol kraza in the days a rassal, there wasn't a conception of a religion that's monotheistic. Every religion was idolatris. So when rassal speak about you know, an action of idolatry, that's showing rejection of the Torah. But now with Thesam, the rich Vuff, for instance, says, we have to get the essence. The essence is denial of the Torah. And when you accept a psalm, by definition, you're rejecting the Torah because Islam teaches that the Torah has been fraudulently written. We've we've altered it. The real authentic text is preserved in the Quran, the authentic teaching, and therefore, by accepting Islam, you reject the Torah. The rich Vas says, and this is what Shati says in the Gamara, that is the actually not just the d fathers, they all. That is the capital offense, denying the Torah. So if it's denying the Torah, if that's the capital offense, well then if you're giving the choice virtual Islam or death, you have to accept offurse. That's a big mahaukus mungery shown me. Is it the action of a votasara the Masa, which like the Ramam holds, or the the rejection of the toa. Let's leave this aside for now, because in the Garrisa Shmad, although the Ramam strongly defends this position of his that it's it's only if it's if it's no action of the motazaari, you don't eat some word of yourself. The Rambam also says, but if you want to be piss and you want to be holy, and you allow yourself to be martyred, you're kuddash, you're holy, You've you've reached a great height. So he leaves it as an option, which he does not leave in the Mission of Tower, where he says that if it's if you're not obligated to and you aie yourself to be killed, it's as if you're a suicide. So Rabbi Kaf, the great Rabbi Kafe, we've spoken about already, he already deals with this in his note on his edition of the Rambam's letters, and he says the Ramam changes mind. When the Ramam wrote the Agreta Schmad, he was young. Later on he changed his mind and he didn't accept this idea that you can be pious and volunteer voluntary martyrdom. I guess you can call it. He rejects it. Rab I mean sorry. Rabbi Shane Lot in this work, his Important Edition of the Letters, he has a different approach to explain this contradiction. He says that, first of all, he points out that we're dealing with an unusual case anyway, because in a time of chamad, in a time of persecution, you're supposed to give up your life for anything. If Romo says, you don't have to, Sir Chatte wants to argue that this is maybe not a real schamad because the Muslims themselves knew that the Jews it was just for show on the outside, and that privately they were still being Jewish. He he has a whole different approach. He rejects he doesn't accept a Rabbi u Kaffer's idea. He says that he says, in the case of where it's a shmad aha shmad, then the ram bomb would allow you to be a public martyr, a voluntary martyr, but not in other cases. So he tries to make that argument. It's it's not clear if there's a contradiction, how to explain it. Robby Mazou says he thinks the simplest answer is as follows. He says, the ram Bum's position is and always is that it's it's forbidden to be a martyr, a voluntary marder. However, if you go ahead and do it anyway with the avada. But if you go ahead and do it anyway and you have good intentions, we're not going to treat you like a suicide you regarded ex post facto. This is like someone had you asked the question, we would have said not to, but if you went ahead and did it, we regard you as holy. Interestingly, this is the exact position of Crime Solvation. I saw his new volume, third volume. I have to get a essays came out from my favorite press Litman library. But that's his That's how Time Salvation understands what was going on, because you have a strange phenomenon. You have people in ashdie ass not just committing suicide, killing their children. How can you kill your children? There's no source? So what are we gonna call them all heretics? So are we gonna call them evil murderers? Not bury them in Jews cemetery? He said, that was impossible. Even the Rabbis who assume what they do is absolutely wrong, understood they did it because they thought it was the proper thing. And therefore, although we will never tell anyone to do that ex post facto, we have to regard them as kdoshi. And that's how I'm Salvation reads the all they are, all the discussions as like ex post facto. And that's what Rebamazu says. The rama's position is that when the Rama says you're holy, it means that if you will, a simple person decides to like just think we're back in Germany or in Spain or something like that, and ann juk and says, eat this non kosher and someone says, no, I will never do that. I would rather die than meet that. Uh are we going to assume that? And and he's martyr and a were going to regard him as a suicide. It's supposed to. Yes, the ra mom gives the hawaha. But in the real world, if the person intended proper, proper you know, chuva or whatever, if he intended to do this, uh to serve God, we're not going to regard him as a suicide. Although then what's the realm I'm talking about. Then in a mission Tarr when he says you were a suicide, it's a problem. That's why says he changed his mind. By Massous thinks no, Ramazous thinks that that's the Missionaris like the theoretical that this is the halaka and you tell anyone you understand as the suicide, but expost facto will regard the person as a coddas. I'm not sure if this is the best answer either, but this is uh so we have three approaches to how to deal with this very unusual apparently change in the Ramum's position. Is there some notion of voluntary martyrs in medieval Ashkena's voluntary modern martine was taken for granted, and there's all sorts of Gothic sources you can cite about people like the village young people jumped off the boat and martyr themselves so they wouldn't be taken back to Rome, and all sorts of other examples. But the Rumbum is opposed to voluntary martyrdom. Then it makes perfect sense. It's not our bodies. We can't decide on our own what to do the next part of the letter, it's also I think of interest. Rabbi Mazus in his weekly Tora Journal newsletter set as follows that if you're sending letter, there's a city in Israel called Bytel, it's a I was there. I was there last summer. No, not last summer, least January a year ago almost. I was in Betel. First time ever was in Baytel. Went to Sham. That was interesting. First time I went to see. The Samaritans have a museum there. It's it's really very interesting if you get over the fact that we were stopped in a traffic jam right in the middle of an Arab village and my wife is thinking we're all going to be killed and everything. But the driver showed us is gone. But still but that was. But if you ever to Baydown, it's it's it's it's worth seeing. And I went to where is a Eliezer, Mohammed Harbor, all those places. Okay that Bethdel is a big city. I mean it has lots of people there seven their lives. They have a winery as well. We'll see if the wine from Bakedel beginning in January, if it can still be labeled from Israel or has to go back to hertors so here, So what is this Bakedeal? Is this a hall we name? Can you? Can you say the name Maydeal? Can you write? Can you send them letter to Bakedell? In Hebrew? You send letters, So whenever I send lyterst Israel, I used the Hebrew and I just wade in English as it'll get there. Raby A Zou says that if you send a letter to Beatedale, you should write it as one word Bethel or make a line between the Aliph and the Lhama. So Bethdale. Because you're not l is one of the names of God, You're not supposed to write it. We're gonna get to the names. I just said the name. Well, we'll get to about next week about using the name of God other than the tetragrammaton in Tora study. I think most of her sending me stuff, and I found some good stuff. What I know Aroumzus's follows. I understand that, and that's not the men. No one does that. But I said to him, first of all, the bek safe, the bear ko safe is the da I'm your azubi just commentary, and he brings different opinions. The question is that the word Beatedeale appears in Tora, first appears in brac She's let me show you this isn't a new city, you see. Hold on seconds here if you look in here somewhere I believe, Oh yes, here, So look in plus eight. Uh, this is at the way beginning where it says that Avraham moved to the east of Baydale. So apparently already you see that there's a Bagdale in the days of Avraham. Well, if there's a Bagdale in the days of Avraha, then the words it's obviously not a god's name. It's just the name of the city beforehand.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: The problem is we have later in Racis where Yakov names the place is Baydale, and some people even say, some commentaries that the Beaydale we just saw with Avraham is named in anticipation of what Yakov's gonna do. So what's the other issue? Is is it when we say Bakedale, do you mean house of God? Or is this just the name of a city. If it's just name of the city, it doesn't matter what originally it was. And I when you get out in my letter, is that the after after I mentioned the dog quotes opinions in both ways. The hustom Sofur says that this word bagdale that we see in Torah is not holy. You have all these names, if they're holy names, the sofa has to have a special kravana. I think, and I think he even recites it's us thinking he recites it's a holy name. Sometimes it will go to mechfield before maybe even today, before writing it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then there's letters that are on holy even though named Eloheim Elohimahirim that sound in Yeshiva, we'd always say l Mariam and the red uf el Us. No, no, there, it's Elohima Irim because it's foreign gods. That's not a holy name. The hustom sources is not holy and therefore the soufiing are not the kadish that name. And what's the hustom Sofur's proof. Take a look at unculus Uncles does not translate bakedale based bagda oha. What is he right? He doesn't translate it the house of God, the word he would use if it's holy. He just writes bedel. So it's just a city name, that's all. So I said to Rabbi Bazoums. I don't know why it's so simple to you that with selfer and the positions of that, it's it's not a holy name. Why do you feel that when you write it you should have the line? I said, do you really both think that the meaning of Beakedeal was bagda lha house of God? And then I said, there regal, there are many synagogues in America that are called Bethel. And I said, but with regarding these synagogues, there's no question that when they say hell, they refer to God. Every synagogue and an Orthodox synagogues too are called Bethel. And yet when they use the word, are they not naming it after a city they intended to mean house of God. Well, if that's the case, I said, I don't know why the rabbi is never rebuked the ballabat Dame that you should call a synagogue Bethel because when you write the name Bethel, then you are really writing God's name, because they ended the mean house of God. So these are the two questions I have for of Mazus. One, I guess with Kula that we should be able to say Daytel, we're send the lighter to Daytel, because Sofur and others and others that what about all these shows, including Orthodox goals that I think in Newton, isn't it where where where you can type it in where they're our shows are at Bethel. They're definitely in Brooklyn. I think you even have the Bethel people can write it in where they know of Bethel Orthodox synagogues. And that's I said, that's a problem. How do we allow synagogues that have the name Bethel if it's God's name? So I see we're already at the end. So we will will get the answers next week, and we'll also actually it's a good time to then speak about this whole issue of saying God's name. We're gonna see it dispute between Ashkenazim and swardin Spardin don't even believe in saying things like kale et cetera. Oh there you go, brokeerk. That's right, young Isrobetho. That's where I spoke it. That was the I spoke last year. Burrough who was there, it was with us. Fact Borah who's with us. He will testify next week we speak about sotmore or what he's where he brought me. So you see my Sotner connections. But uh, I think I guess that fell and young Is are different synagogues namerge. How do the rabbis allow us to call synagogues bethel? So we will get to the questions. We'll get to Rabbi Mazu's answer next week. A couple other interesting things we'll see from Rabbi Mazou's trump, how to understand the meaning of sooking based on the trump? And are we down to the truck? We'll see that next week. And Rabbi doctors wait to hear the Kannai the extremist Mark Shapiro, what he says about rabbi doctors and how Rabbi Mazus speaking as one myself. But but how Rabbi Mazous defends the Rabbi doctors because after all the reshow name uh, We'll get to that, and then we'll move into the into sotmore. What is Mark Shapiro doing with one of the greatest sotmer tell me and my relationship to Sotmar and sot Mar. We're going to criticize him, no question, but they really get a bad rap. There is so much good and sot mare which people don't usually see. And we will get to that next class. Time flies oh when when we remign Jool, we'll hear that I will be here next week before I get to the questions, but double next week because Nichol Christmas Eve I we're getting a special talk, special class on shouldn't we be studying Torah on that night? And we'll get to that. Yes, okay, Rob Matanki, that was the name of the rabbi, so anyone's interested. Rob Daliodov Schwartz h really a great time of fuckholm the based and not just in Chicago but the RCA. You can read what he wrote in their house. And Daniel Chill says Schwartz's first job was in a rabbi in Providence. In fact, in the yeah, well this actually the Safer is written when I believe when he say, uh, let me pull it up for you to show you when he was a rabbi. Then he was an English town. He has a haskama there from Varro and Cutler in the Safer Ravarron Cutler was yeah, the same first called I'm looking at it now, Devray Reggash. Now this is fifty nine. This is after he was in Providence. This is he was an English town, New Jersey. He was also in problem he was. He was not a student of the ROV by the way, Schwartz. Of course anyone who was at Yeshiva College Ushan had relationships with the Rov R six year, but he was not. He was uh the palao. I think also romotion, shots, kiss and in other words, who were the lift shuts. But the Rove was not like you think of people who are went through yu with the ROV. That was not his main rebby. I don't even know if he was ever even in the sheer. Larry says, I wonder if this has to do with what they were using for light. When I used to use candles, I use the shamash both for the lighting and afterwards to be the youthful light. But now that I use oil, I have one oil light used to serve as a youthful light, but I light the other lights with a flame starter. I wonder, okay, what they use nair, we use this candle. They don't mean candle, they mean and when the when the Gamarra speaks about neare, it means a what's the what's the word I'm looking for? Not a not a jug but a lamp? There, thank you Ellen, And that's that's the shot. Of when you're learning on Friday night. You can't learn next to the nare because you'll tilt it. I mean you'll tilt it if it's a candle, you know't uh. But but because though the oil starts going out, so you move it so that the oil then continues and you can so I don't know. I don't think so. I don't think it has to do with that. What you suggest. And you wonder why you light the useful light last, it seems that you should light it first. There's no time you would be making use of the sacred lights. You have to look in the tour. The tour has asked this question. He said, you make the braha, then you light everything, and then afterwards then you light the other light. If you light it, I guess you could light it. Let me read you what the tour says. You could light it. I guess beforehand. But that wasn't the practice because I probably the reason is because the first thing you're supposed to do, the mitza the midst is the first thing you do, then you do the other thing. If you do that, that's what I'm thinking. You just stop. On the top of my head. It's not the midso, so you wouldn't do that, And uh Mel says, are poetic forms of words, This says kuma azer cicero, which is a better form of coom. Yes, well, that we have all the time. That's called the cordative. That's the technical term in uh in Biblical Hebrews cohertative. And there's another type like eschmerah, whyesmore schabat eschmera, I shall indeed.
Speaker 3: You have that.
Speaker 2: That's not the cordative. I forget what that's called. In English. The coherdative is like let us niche marahab let us observe shabat versus eschmerah, or I will indeed observe shaba. I don't know really. If you look in the grammars, they always say that hey, at the ending, when it's not the coerdative, when it's the other term which I can't remember these fancy terms, that it's uh emphatic. But I don't think so. I think that's correct, that it's more poetic. David says another rhymnistics partials. When you promises his father toak that involve at the end of both of them, which interesting is a brilliant rhetorical tool to win over the argument with Yako for using to bring down the young by Huda using Yako's own words he had used, Uh, I mean uh if I'm pronouncing you right, very nice, Okay. The difference is, though, that what I showed you osa osaka is that that's not a normal form. That's not even a regular form. That's just like a form used just to rhyme with the kaka osa uh. And that that was pointed out by Grossman in his book. I had never known that or thought of that. So it's a you can see on hebrewbooks dot org. It's a nice if you're interested in these sort of things. It's a nice book.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Helthic's in English. And one says that the Central Asian singing, the accents weren't as you said. I'll have to listen to it again, I said, certainly, mouth was I thought.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Someone privately says that if you listen to ben O Weis's rendition of Adonolum, which is said out a loud and no shoes will keep menshnas all our milerra everything is include melech and also a ira. You may also find it I'm a home mauritious ashkna site. I tried to get for the renditions of ben Oies there in Dartmouth, but so far they haven't yet given me permission. And then you say the fact that it's not set out out of being a dobbining for all to hear the tradition, and for all to hear the tradition from this pronunciation is lost. That's right, we don't say it anymore. Incidentally, the it seems that it was originally supposed to be said at night. I don't know, or if not at night, first thing in the morning, because remember ishan va ai rah so uh, I shouldn't say at night in the morning, that's the original place to say it, right when you get up, because you said I gave my soul to God. And now that I get up he as, I.
Speaker 5: Had the privilege of learning a don't a long word for word.
Speaker 4: We're a broyer, and I asked the question why the many shoes not say it? He said, it's about because it's all a couple of amshumyam, and you should everyone should be studying dobbining with I don't alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for that, Howard, I don't know why we don't say it the usual Susanna says, the usual truth for the is like that also accents in the wrong place. Yeah, And I think my point basically that the sum up is that we have plenty of examples in the dobbining that the accents are in the wrong. They really are in the wrong, but it's not such a big deal because it's a song, so songs we can it doesn't really change the meaning unless it's of perfect and it's above. But my point with I don't know m is it's not, you know, wrong, because the python himself wanted you to sing it that way. That's how he wrote it. Oh yes, Barry says, rebegation siegull showl, that's Bethel. Yes, that's what I was thinking of. What about g DSD rather than go o D. That's the dispute. There are some who say it's there's no reason to do that, and others say no, that God's name, even in non Hebrew languages, also has to have uh shouldn't be written, It shouldn't be raced. I should say there also shouldn't be written.
Speaker 5: Some would say yeah, uh.
Speaker 2: Ah, so then I didn't really I forgot this. I read this. Yeah. Bark says that Regalia of Schwartz was the young rabbi, the youngest all Borough Park years ago, the one we've been speaking about. He gave the he took over the daff Yomi in Burrough Park, I believe after by Schmulkommen Mursky who took it over. And then I think, uh, that that was the big duff yon me I when I ask, can I make my article on little available to participants? Well, they are. The talk is going to have new stuff, lots of good new stuff. But if I make it available beforehand, no one's gonna want to come and hear me. So I will, uh, And we do have there's an earlier version that we put online, but this is before YouTube and it was nine years ago. So Rabbi Kellman things putting on one more time so everyone could hear it and go on YouTube. And uh, who remembers it. I'm like you who listens to it every year. Most people don't remember it. And finally, rab Mel says my Rabbi quota of Ramone's new Safer and a shiro Tonight. Ramone says one can like either before or after the other candles. Well, Normally we think of the shamash as the one you used to light the candles. The problem is, if you have one of these oil lambs, you have a shamash, but you can't really use it to light, and so they use another candle. When you like the shamash, you don't need the shamash. Shamash is not uh, you know, it's not how almost we've seen now you're in the gamara. But but if you do have it, you can't have it. On the same line things like that, Daniel says the anymology of doctors from the Latin meaning teacher rabbi means teacher rabbi doctor is redundant. No, I would disagree, because doctor is telling you you haven't You've been awarded based on nontover knowledge. That's why you're given doctor the rabbi. Although the whole idea of smich as began in the astronautic world might be bag stun what they were doing at the universities, at least that's what the critics said. But doctor is not for totra knowledge. It's doctor is for either quasi tower knowledge or secular But doctor is important, and I believe Joe Biden should be given her title. She worked for it. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, just google doctor Joe Biden. The blogosphere and the news is going wild about someone who dissed doctor Jill Biden.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on Zoom, please visit torahmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give the podcast to listen