Speaker 1: Lucky Land casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 3: Actually do I have to say? Yes? You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really?
Speaker 3: Yes? Excuse me?
Speaker 4: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 5: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 5: Play for free right now?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky? No, we just necessary boid.
Speaker 4: We we're going my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of plus one saterdails.
Speaker 2: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 2: Or sorry we're here.
Speaker 4: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 5: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered. But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by mock eighteen plus terms and conditions applaing See website for.
Speaker 1: Lupadian.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski. Good Evening, Truth and Honor explores the twenty and eleven murder of Saint John businessman Richard Oland of the prominent family that owns Moussaid Breweries will police investigation and the arrest, trial, and conviction of the victim's son, Denis Oland for second degree murder. Oland's trial would be the most publicized in New Brunswick history. What the trial judge called a family tragedy of Shakespearean proportions. This real life murder mystery included adultery, family dysfunction, largely circumstantial evidence, allegations of police incompetence, a high powered legal defense, and a verdict that showed and shocked the community. Today, the Oland family members maintains Denis Oland's Innocence. Author Greg Marquis, a professor of Canadian history at the University of New Brunswick Saint John, leads readers through the case from the discovery of the crime to the conviction and sentencing of the defendant. Offering multiple perspectives. Truth and Honor explores this question, was Denis Oland responsible for the death of his father? The book they were featuring this evening is Truth and Honor The Death of Richard Ohland and the Trial of Dennis Oland, with my special guest, Professor and author Greg Marquis. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. Greg Marquee, Hello, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: For agreeing to this interview.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the program. Thanks.
Speaker 6: I want to ask you how you came to be the author of Truth and Honor. Why you were interested in this case. Can you tell our audience about that?
Speaker 3: Sure? Well, I live in the city. I live near the city where the murder in the trial took place, and I teach at a local branch of the University of New Brunswick. I teach Canadian history, legal history, criminal justice history. So I sensed that it was going to be a big news story, and it was a current event, not a historical case. But I thought it would be interesting for an historian to sit in on a real life case.
Speaker 6: Certainly, let's get right to the matter at hand, because this is a complex case and for our largely American audience and international audience, this is an unusual unusual case in terms of compared to American jurisprudence. Let's talk about July six, twenty eleven, and you introduce a character named Maureen Adamson. She's Richard Olan's long serving secretary, and she arrives at work at eight forty five at the building where she works and Richard Olan does his business. Tell us who Maureen Adminson Adamson is, and tell us just what happens when she goes to the building that morning. What's her typical routine, and tell us what happens that day.
Speaker 3: Sure, she's an she is very capable of experienced, sort of an administrative admin assistant. So she was bringing in, you know, probably a bundle of papers that she takes work home the night before, I think it was actually the morning of the seventh of July, and also some coffee, some takeout coffee, and usually would be the first person to open up the office kind of a nondescript, modest three story building in an older street in the city that is kind of gentrifying. And so when she went in, the other door was open. That normally wasn't a big deal. But when she got to the top of the stairs, the sort of inner door to the office was open, which was not usual because usually she's the first one in. And when she entered the room, she immediately smelled a terrible smell, and she noted that a lot of things were out of place, and she soon glimpsed a leg on the floor sort of under her boss's desk, and she panicked and ran downstairs for help.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about getting the assistance of Preston Chiason, the owner of the building, and what does he do?
Speaker 3: What happens? Yeah, he was, he was a friend of the owner. Was he was there, He was hanging out down below. The building was owned by John and still is by John Ainsworth, and he he runs a printing and digital imaging company on the bottom floor and he I'm not sure John was there that early, but his friend, mister Chayson was. Often different people will drop by and hang out and do things there, and so he ran up. You know, at that point they thought maybe if someone had a heart attack or an accident, and he soon since that no, this is a fatality. As was revealed in court later, that had a real traumatic effect on mister Chason finding that body. He seems to have suffered from some post traumatic stress. They called nine one one within minutes, both emergency services sometimes called paramedics in Canada and the local police were in the building with two minutes, three minutes, and they soon determined that this was an individual who was dead and could not be revived.
Speaker 6: Now, in terms of immediate investigation looking for signs of forced entry or robbery, tell us what police found immediately and then what was their search entailing in terms of computers and other devices.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, well the case the case here as following great detail in Canada. Uh, they it revealed there were some lapses and police investigations, some basic things that weren't done. But you know, they did the usual visual search. One of the problems that day is that there were three forensic officers on the Sant John Police force. Only one was uly available, so he was They were kind of undermanned and so anyway, they they also had to deal with, you know, securing the body and and and removing the body eventually. So there was the crime scene on a second story office, but there was a front set of front stairs leading down to the fronts to the streets in the front Canterbury Street. But there was also a back alley on a back alley door. It turned out that no one thought to write down in their notebook whether that back alley door was opened or closed, or if it was closed, was it locked or unlocked on the morning of the investigations starting. The crime scene was only photographed a bit later. So they eventually did swab for blood on the i hoping that maybe some of the perpetrator's blood was there. Because the victim was attacked with blunt force trauma, there was a lot of blood. There were over forty injuries to his head, and so they hoped the investigators that there might be some of the attacker's blood there as well. They dusted for prints. There were simply too many prints in the office, which was a working office, to have anything distinct. But there were a few things, a few investigatory lapses for sure, in terms of things that weren't photograph, often time notes that weren't taken, gloves that were not worn, and also crime scene not being totally secure.
Speaker 6: Was there any sign of forced entry or robbery?
Speaker 3: No, No, there was no sign of force entry robbery. The only thing that I mean the victim had like a rollbocks watch. There was cash, He had his cash, credit cards, things like that, his car keys, his you know, his BMW was parked outside. The car keys were there.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: They identified him by finding his wallet in his pants. Uh. And the only thing that was missing, I mean, there was even an envelope of cash I think for a gardener on the on the desk. The only thing that was missing was his iPhone or cell phone, and that proved to be a crucial piece of evidence in the later trial or two trials, we should say.
Speaker 6: You just mentioned the forty five wounds in all tell us a little bit more about the attack itself. What did detectives find in terms of the crime scene and how they had been attacked. What could they assume and assess from that?
Speaker 3: Well, between the detectives and also the medical examiner, they determined that he died. A medical examiner determined that he died from almost immediately from blood force trauma. It was a pretty rapid and sudden attack. A lot of people mentioned that it's probably something personal overkill. Blows around the head with some sort of weapon, some sort of hammer or hatchet. There are two types of wounds. One was sort of like a hatchet type wound. Some of those actually penetrated into the skull, into the brain. Others were more superficial. They're also round, thatched patterned blows to the head, which could have been made by something like a dry wall hammer or a roofer's hammer. No murder weapon was ever found. There was a lot of blood around the body, particularly the head. There were defensive wounds to his hands, which suggested that he tried to fend off the attack. It looks like he was probably sitting at his desk, either reading or looking at his computer when attacked. His body. Depending on whose timeline you believe, his body was there either from uh six thirty in the evening until nine o'clock the next day, or that's the Crown that's his prosecutions theory. The defense theory is sometime after seven point thirty he was possibly he was attacked and anyway, the body was there for several hours, so they couldn't determine a cause of a time of death. And he had you know, massive blows, massive blows to his head. And again one of those mysteries about this case is that no murder weapon and a surprising lack of trace blood in the other parts of the office. There were no blood detected on the stairs, on the on the door handles, on the doorframes. You know, There's a lot of blood around the body. There's a lot of blood spatter, some of it you know, nine feet away from the body, but other than that, there was a one level a surprising lack of blood at the scene.
Speaker 6: Tell Us, Now, about Richard Oland, we mentioned that he's a wealthy person involved with the moose said breweries, and his family involved with that as well. Tell Us also his circumstances in terms of his marriage and his mistress right was almost immediately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was revealed to the public through you know, as media got hold of some of the court information. But it wasn't I mean, I think it might have been known to certain people. But Rachel Olan was married to the same woman who he dated when they were sixteen, Connie Oland, and they had three children. But it turned out. The police soon found that he had a mistress and Diana Sedletek, who was a realtor or a real estate agent. They had been involved for several years. It was kind of a bit of an open secret within the family. Richard still lived at home with his wife in a Ross, which is a sort of an upscale suburban community outside of Saint John, and he gone on trips with her and things like that, and people who worked in the office knew about the affair, but it was kind of a don't ask, don't tell situation. Richard Olan had been involved directly with the Moosehead Brewery. You can buy Moosehead in the United States. It's Canada's biggest independent brewery, located here in Saint John. Its roots go back to eighteen sixty seven. It has quite a brand recognition in Canada. Anyway. Richard had sort of had a fallen out with his own father in terms of control of that company in the eighties. He sort of lost out to his brother Derek, who recently has signed over the running of the company to one of his sons. But Richard did have shares in the company and also in the eighties, and I believe nineties. He had a very large trucking company that benefited by hauling moosehead beer to the United States and so forth, so he sort of benefited from that. He was worth about thirty five million dollars at the time of his death, and he was a fairly wealthy man. By New Brunswick's standards revolved. A lot of charities had been recognized by the government of Canada with an honor called the Order of Canada. So he's a pretty prominent victim.
Speaker 6: Now, investigators right away find out the dynamics of this family. You talk about the three children, tell us about Dennis, and what they find out in terms of just immediately the relationship between Richard and his son Dennis.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, the investigators talked to the victim's wife, Dennis's wife Lisa, Dennis's sister Lisa, and sister Jacqueline, and eventually Dennis that same that same day, this is the day the body's found. And what they get from talking to those family members is a bit of a narrative about that. Richard was a hard man to deal with. He was he could be very he had bouts of anger, He was judgmental, sometimes could be quite callous he you know, towards people and created a lot of tensions at family gatherings and things like that. So one of the things that was stressed in those interviews was a lot of this pressure came on Dennis as the only son, and so the police were sort of given kind of a bit of a negative narrative about the father's son relationship. They also realized, or came through their own conclusion that Dennis was the last person to see the victim alive. Is Dennis, you know, admitted going to see his father the evening of the crime. Dennis also something that the police dug into a bit and it was certainly important in the later investigation. Dennis had been advanced money from his father. Dennis was an investment advisor, sort of a stockbroker. His income was up and down. He was trying to live an upper middle class lifestyle, living in his grandparents' house, which he had purchased with his former first wife, but his income was not always great. He was having some cash flow problems in twenty eleven, and the police determined that that may have been a factor in the crime.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about the money situation not being ideal and the relationship between Richard and the police discover is a serious thing to consider. When you police talked to the secretary that was there July sixth, at the end of the day and during the day, what was her testimony, what was her what did she say to the police about Dennis, about the frequency that Dennis would come around normally typically to the office to visit his father, and what happened that day and.
Speaker 3: That yes, and that's a good question because also that person Marine Adamson, as well as a co worker, Robert McFadden, who was sort of like the accountant in the office. They also both to the police early on. Marene testified that Dennis showed up to see his dad an unannounced, not planned. He did work nearby, he lived, you know, he worked in the building just five minutes away, and pleasant conversation. But she also testified that Dennis was not in the habit of visiting his father that often, at least at his place of work. And although Dennis did act as a bit of a financial advisor, you know, making investments for his father. Sometimes Dennis dropped by. He had a carrying a bag with him, a reasonable shopping bag, and she mentioned to him Richard was happy to see his son. Richard had just returned from a trip and what they were going to talk about was family history. So you know, Maureene within ten minutes of Dennis getting there, kind of did her closed down routine, you know, shutting off computers, walking the back door, things like that, and then she left the two men chatting, presumably about family history, which one thing the two men could talk on without quarreling apparently was genealogy, and she thought that things were going well. She she mentioned to Dennis that there was a log book, which it was basically a log like an entry log from a family camp that had been I think on the mother's side of the family nearby on an island in the Kenneba Cases River, very beautiful river uh in the area, and over the years, different visitors had signed their name in that camp log, and Richard had borrowed that from another family member to scan it, and he was a little late getting getting it back. So missus Olin, Richard's wife, had asked Uh Maureen to put her aside, and so Marine asked Dennis when he showed up, well, can you could you take this this this this family log book please and give it to your mother, and so you know that the logbook also had a role to play in the forensic evidence as it turned out.
Speaker 6: Now you talked about Marine Adamson and what did she notice or note about his appearance and clothing that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was wearing it was a pretty warm day, but he was wearing a Hugo Boss. Well, she didn't know the brand, but he's wearing a brown sports jacket and she thought it was a lot because it was so warm. The brown jacket, as would turn out in the investigation the trial, was another key piece of evidence and it focused on the issues of truthfulness and credibility of the accused as well. It would be the only real direct forensic evidence that, according to the prosecution, you know, place Dennis Owen at the crime scene in terms of blood in DNA.
Speaker 6: Now we talk about that, Maureen Adamson leaves, talks to her husband, mentions the event where she speaks to Dennis to her husband, and then they leave. Now police are trying to determine and obviously they need to speak to Dennis. You talk about that this looks like something very obvious that they would speak to Dennis. It looks like he is the last person to speak to his father.
Speaker 3: Sorry, he was the lost known person.
Speaker 6: Now how do police proceed in terms of questioning him and how much do they know? How much have they learned before they questioned him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're there. I think they're getting bits of information from some of the previous interviews that day, uh, from the family members, maybe about the father son relationship and things like that. They also through his really through his interview, he mentions, for example that after he left his father and he said his father was in fine form and it was a pleasant party. Of the ways, he he walked out of the building, took a call from his wife, and then he drove home. But on the way home he stopped at a wharf on on that Kenne of Cases River. And so once the police heard that, for example, they dispatched an officer that night. This is an hour into Dennis's interview. They sent an officer out just to do a quick sweep visual sweep of that wharf area. Later they would return with divers and search dog team and things like that. They also did, you know, routine things they ran his uh. They ran his name through the vehicle identification a system to get you know, the registration and plate of his car in case they could pick up any uh, visuals of a vehicle, you know, through cameras on the street. Uh. They also checked to see if he had a criminal record, you know, standard investigation, you know. So it wasn't that he was considered a suspect that early, but they were doing some routine things to check on him. And if you watch, you can watch that in the interview, it was all voluntary. You can watch that interview on YouTube. It's it's been posted there. But it was about a five hour interview where he came in at first to so of talked to the police about his father, see if he can come up with any people who might want to harm him and things like that, tell us about the victim. And about two and a half hours into the interview, it's clearly moving into more of an interrogation. The police investigators have determined that Dennis is a suspect and they give him a caution. They give him a caution. He has through the course of the evening he is allowed He's given two calls to his lawyer, actually wasn't a criminal lawyer, but a lawyer who advised him not to speak later, So for the second half of the interrogation he doesn't. He exercises his right to silence and they let him go. He's not you know, he's not charge of anything. One of the tactical mistakes the police made was not asking if they could have his shoes and clothing, because he claimed in an interview to have worn the same shoes and the same pants the day before. He also spoke about the jocket. We can talk about that later. The other thing that shows that he was a suspect by eleven o'clock that evening. This is the same day the body has found is that they put a tail on him. They put him under surveillance for the next week, although we didn't really hear anything in court about that surveillance in detail.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we, just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere, with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe, actually a lot, so sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 6: Noe'd necessary day.
Speaker 2: Remember everybody lost in terms and conditions eating pluss.
Speaker 4: Judy was boring Hello, Then Judy discovered chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 6: It's my little escape.
Speaker 4: Now Judy's the life of the party. Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon. Take it easy, Judy. The chumber life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chump a casino dot com.
Speaker 6: Necessary where comitted in my mind?
Speaker 4: Plus terms, condition to play whatever details you.
Speaker 6: Talk about this surveillance by police yep. But police find out soon enough that someone is his wife actually not someone. His wife delivered some clothing to a dry cleaner.
Speaker 3: The next yees tell us about time. Yeah, what they find is that they actually they apply for a search warrant, and it's probably similar in the United States, unlike you know the movies we watch and the TV shows where they get the search warrant over the commercial break in Canada. It contains it took the better part of a week because they have to have these documents called information to obtain where they have to give reasonable grounds caused to for judge to sign off. So they executed the search warrant a week after the murder on the residence of Dennis Old and a large team of officers. In his in the master bedroom, they found a dry they found and you know, the jacket. By this time they knew from video surveillance that he had been He had been wearing a brown jacket the day of the day of the visit to his father, where when he talked to the police the next next evening he claimed he had He insisted he had been wearing a blue blazer, so that came up at trial as a possible lie. But so the police had jackets on their mind, and this man was a professional. He had a large number of jackets and dress shirts and things like that in his closet. So when they when they the only thing of note that they found uh in his in the master bedroom was a brown jacket and a dry cleaning bag with a dry cleaning tag on it. They also found on the dresser, the corresponding tag and the sales slip, and it showed that the jacket had been taken to a dry cleaner in ross and New Brunswick, the community where the old Ones live, around nine o'clock the morning after the police interrogation that last that went to eleven pm. So that you know, looks suspicious to investigators. So they seized that jacket and they sent it away to the crime lab in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which is a nearby province, And the crime lab was run by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and they did a series of tests on that jacket looking for forensic traces. And what did they find. They didn't really confirm to twenty and twelve that they found four specs of blood on the jacket. And I don't always obvious places. I forget the exact places it might have been, like, you know, inside the cuffs on the lower back, that type of thing with very minute traces of of DNA in the DNA matched that of the victims, Richard Owens. So the prosecutors, however, still waited about a year before they pressed charges, so they were being you know, and the public was quite concerned. You know how come and arrest hasn't been made. We're now into twenty twelve, were now into twenty thirteen, but the prosecutors wanted to make very sure. In New Brunswick we have a policy where all prosecutions are cleared higher up the food chain, so to speak. If there's a good if there's if there's a good chance that you're not going to get a conviction, they will not prosecute. So, you know, they had to kind of sign off on that. So they so this was the key forensic evidence DNA evidence that was used in the in the subsequent prosecution.
Speaker 6: The prosecution decision not to charge for two years and to be very careful to make sure that they thought they had the sufficient of evidence to lay those charges. It was also dependent on the seemingly the seeming support of Dennis by the entire family and as a result, knowing the wealth of the family that this would they would mount about the best defense they could get in the country.
Speaker 3: This yeah, in their assessment, Yeah, it's a wealthy family. We're not sure. Again, you know, I would love to know two things as a researcher. You know, what was a total legal bill A and B who's paid now the money, the victim's money, thirty five million dollars went the terms of the will. I couldn't find the will, but the terms of the will seems to be that the money went into trust to his widow, Connie olan uh And. But that trust could be dipped into. One of the little ironies is at Denis ol And was one of the trustees who helped manage that trust. He was also a co executor of his father's estate. So when missus Owen passes away, and she seems to be very healthy and very nice lady, then the will determines well, the dictates that the surviving children, Dennis and his two sisters would each inherit an equal share. Unless we have this long Canada, I think, unless he's convicted of murder of the dead man and in which I don't think he could inherit that share. But anyway, so we don't know, but certainly a very high profile legal team by New Brunswick standards, I mean, New Brunswick is a small province. It's located next to Maine. The state of Maine is very similar, you know, kind of rural, you know, population, small cities, that type of thing. So the typical trial here, it does not involved that sort of high profile legal team, you know. You know mister Allen Gold, one of the top criminal defense lawyers in Canada who's based out of Toronto, and for the second trial, Michael Wacey, another slightly younger but another very prominent and very skilled defense attorney. And outwardly the family was very supportive issuing statements to the media. Sometimes the lawyers would issue press releases. I mean, this is very very rare for Canada, where things tend to be a bit more on the British side of things, we're very understated. You know, prosecutors do not give interviews to the press, the issue very terse statements and everything is supposed to be sort of understated. And so we had a little here was a little bit more, a bit of a pub a bit of a pr war as well. I guess you could say.
Speaker 6: Police also gather evidence, so they're looking at forensic data, evidence from telephones and cell phone towers and computer searches. But they do get some interesting information from Anthony Shaw and I believe John Ainsworth of two talking about things they heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Well, these are the two we mentioned Ainsworth before owner of the building. So they were down below on the ground floor that evening July sixth and nice hot summer night, and John Ainsworth was working on some sort of layout for some sort of print job. He was having a problem, so his friend Anthony came and helped him. They worked on it, you know, for three hours. Every once in a while Anthony would go and have a smoke break, and they worked on it. And at some point in the in the early evening, before and before nine, they heard thumping from upstairs, and it came from the general area of Richard Olan's office, not only his office but his desk area. And of course Ainsworth knew the building because he had owned it since the eighties. Shaw was a little less familiar, but so they both but they didn't think it was important enough to go check out, you know, And then he went back to work. Another man looked at his watch, were at a clock. But they both told police and later in court that it happened sometime before eight o'clock that night, because at eight o'clock a young gentleman came in and asked if they would send a fact for him. Shaw was fairly certain that the thumping was took place between seven thirty and eight, maybe even more like seven forty five to eight. Ainsworth at first said that to the police, but then and then he said, well, you know, I'm a little less certain. I think it's some sometime between six and eight. So the significance of that is that the timeline is important because cameras and other evidence clearly shows that Dennis Olin is not in the office or in Saint John at seven thirty or eight forty five. He's he's been home since seven o'clock or so, and he's been captured on store cameras, you know, seven twenty five, seven thirty, you know, twelve twelve miles away in that Rossy area. So that that, in a sense, the testimony of Shaw is sort of an alibi for Denis Olin being involved in the crime. On the other hand, Ainsworth, it also works that Ainsworth says, you know, it could have been up to eight, but he also pushes it earlier, you know, six o'clock, and he's a little less certain, so he was That difference in those two witnesses was I think a very big factor in the first trial. Second trial it's a factor too, but it's more complicated.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about the eighteen months that the investigation, it proceeded slowly. They wanted to make sure, as you say, that they had everything so that they could make a successful charge and make a stick tell us about the charge and the arrest and the reaction media and family.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the things that's interesting is that before he was arrested in the fall twenty thirteen, a lot of people in the community kind of knew that their chief, the chief suspect of the Sant John Police was Richard Olin's son. And the reason why that media outlets we're going to court and asking judges to release certain aspects from the information to obtain documents that were used to get the search warrants, because there are other warrants as well that we're used here to seize computer equipments and things like that. So the argument being that once a warrant is served, then the information behind that warrant becomes public property. So normally this doesn't happen, people don't really care, but in this case, it was kind of a celebrity family, right, so we kind of knew things. You know. For example, the victim was the victim had lent five hundred thousand dollars to the suspect the victim. The suspect was the last known person to see the victim alive. So it's kind of like I call it, almost like illegal strip tease that over the months, more and more details were revealed without naming names, and finally you know it's the sun. Well, there's only one son. So he's charged with second degree murder because there is no proof of premeditation. In Canada, we don't have capital punishment anymore, so first degree murder. If you're convicted of first degree murder, it's a minimum of twenty five years in penitentiary before you can be considered for parole. Second degree murder, I think the minimum is ten years in prison before parole, but it can go up to twenty five case by case. So he was charged with second degree murder, so it was convicted. He's facing a minimum of ten years. He's a man in his forties at the time. One of the little interesting anomalies or weird things about the case is that first degree murder would have to be built on pre meditation, planning and that type of thing. But you know, the victim was killed with a weapon. The weapon was never found. It was deemed it was speculated to be a hammer or a hatch or something like that. Those types of tools or weapons are not normally laying around in investment offices. So you know, if someone had to bring that weapon, the killer had to bring that weapon into the office, that implies premeditation. Right. So again, but the best the prosecution can do was was second degree charge. Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, tell us tell us about we talk about normally people charged for murder, they don't even consider that that person might be then getting a bail while they await that their trial.
Speaker 3: So tell us about. Yeah, it varies from place to place. It's kind of rare in Canada, it so happens. It's probably the same of the states that you know. It's it's true that many murders are committed by people who you know, it's a crime of passion. Someone just loses it and kills someone or whatever, and they often don't have a criminal record. The big, the big thing with bail in Canada is with any issue is like does a person have a prior criminal record that could be really held against you? In the mail hearing, but there had been uh uh, there had been a kind of a pattern New Brunswick that you know, they didn't didn't think that an accused murderer, even though they had no prior chrominal record ever been released on bail, right, so uh and so so he you know, but he but he was released. Sorry I'm getting I'm geting ahead of myself a person who had been convicted but who was appealing their sentence. I got ahead of myself there. So basically he had he had a clean record, he was he was he was released on bail. Uh, we can't you know, I wasn't at the bail hearing and the and the mail. The judge who presided over the bail here hearing will not release the transcript. So I would have loved to have known him. Because this was all under a publication ban, everything prior to the actual trial. It probably works similar in the United States. Everything prior to the actual trial was under a publication ban, so so it wouldn't so nothing could leak out to prejudice the the defense. Right. So, but yeah, he was relucent bil but he had a surrenderous passport and he couldn't leave the country. But he was free to live, he was free to work. Ironically, as I point out in my book, one of the places he worked at was as a director of one or more of his father's companies, and so he you know, for a while he was going in and we don't know how long it lasted, but he was going in to the to the murder scene and right into the small office where his father had been brutally murdered and working there in some capacity. But again, that evidence didn't come into court directly, but we do know that Dennis was doing that because one of the things that happened to him after he was arrested is that he was fired by the company, the investment company where he worked. So he presumably got some sort of buyout and presumably sold his book of investments to another investment dealer or stockbroker. So he was basically, you know, he didn't have a job after his ear although he wasn't bail.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about preparation for that trial. What are the issues that the prosecution believes that they can bring up to prove and what is the defense strategy to counter those?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, the the the the first of all, it's pretty well going to be trial by jury. That's that's the typical thing in Canada unless something really strange happens. Uh So they're they're planning for a trial by by Jerry the The defense is using the fact that it's the last known person you know that the the accused is the last known person to see the the victim alive. They they they're using the the the somewhat fraud or or.
Speaker 1: Lucky casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky in line of the Delhi I guess high in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: You do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really yes, excuse me?
Speaker 4: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 5: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 4: Are you feeling lucky? No, we're not necessary avoid long eighteen plus terms conditions plus everything.
Speaker 3: Or imperfect father son relationship based on three parts. One is the fact that Dennis has it sort of owes money to his father so to speak, because that that that advance on his inheritance that he got came of a condition that he pay a monthly interest payment on that. Again he was running a little lower cash. Secondly, possible resentment against the mistress in the family, and disrespect towards Dennis's mother, and thoroughly just the general negative personality of Richard Oldin from time to time. So that's a couple of things. The other one is that the missing the missing iPhone, the cell phone evidence and radio frequency engineer evidence, and that type of thing was introduced in the pre trial hearings and at the trial to suggest that the victim's phone registered on a cell tower in Ross, New Brunswick within a few minutes of Dennis leaving his self admitted time that he lost around six thirty pm. Within a few minutes an incoming text message from Richard's mistress made his phone ping or register off of cell tower in Rosse, which is quite close to the wharf where Dennis Oland had stopped, supposedly to see if his children were swimming either that night. So that sort of put that connects the missing foam with Dennis and his root home. And then things such as the dry cleaning, you know, taking the taking the the the jacket for dry cleaning. It seemed to suggest you know, a guilty mind. They crown, they called the prosecution. You hear the crown. You know, it's kind of the British connection, right, so the crown attorney Uh in Canada, you you were prosecuted by the Queen or the king. That's what it says in the document, right. So, Uh, it's not the people versus owen. It's it's our meaning Regina I think, meaning the Queen. So they also the Crown also suggested that he lied about which jacket he was wearing. He wasn't mixed up about the jacket. He he clearly knew he was wearing the brown jacket, but he wanted to you know, he wanted to cover that up at the investigation, right, and said and so instead he said he wore the blue jacket. And then and then the DNA on the jacket, right, the DNA evidence. So they kind of put it all together in a story that you know, would convince a jury that you know that Richard Olen was a difficult man. Often this was a crime of passion. There was some sort of dispute to escalate it into a violent encounter. Uh and uh and his son. You know, it's circumstantial, but all all these sort of bricks in the wall, so to speak, point towards Dennis Olan as the as the the killer. And again the real legal, real legal issues. You know, what's the identity of the killer. That's the old, real real issue in the crown or the prosecutors that it's Dennis Olan.
Speaker 6: We mentioned, but how strong was the financial incentive and how far did the prosecution frame it in terms of motive. We knew that they found out he was in dire financial straits, but was did they offer any theory on what that confrontation over finances may have been that day?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the motive this is all inferred because you know, it's if it didn't it didn't hold together in the second trial, but it obviously works in the first trial. The the the the prosecution was inferring that it wasn't that Dennis Owen, you know, uh, it was mad at he didn't go to see his father. Their their theory is that he went to see his father. The pretext was we're going to we're going to talk about this family history stuff because it's one of the few things we can talk about without getting into an argument. Right, they relax, they joke, They you know they both had turned into genealogy freaks that basically the only family had a connection with England, and Dennis had gone on a trip to England, he had documents, but the Crown, the prosecution, Dennis was using the visit as a pretext to engage in another conversation, Dad, I need money right now. There was no proof of that, no direct proof. There were no emails, letters, phone calls, uh, you know, other other people who could confirm or deny that. But that was what the Crown was asking the jury to believe. So they put together kind of a circumstantial evidence argument based on that, based on the situation, and and you know, get it, and you know that that was kind of a powerful argument I think put in front of the jury. Yes, and the father you know, and and again the inference of the father not refused and maybe said something nasty and things escalated and boom mm hmmm. Yes, us as an opportunity, Greg to stop for a second to talk about our sponsor, which is ship Station. When you're selling online, getting your orders out can be a real pain, time consuming, expensive, so many carriers to choose from. How do you know you're making the best choice that's why you need shipstation dot com. It's the fastest, easiest, and most affordable way to manage and ship your orders.
Speaker 6: Ship Station helps you get your orders out quickly, save money on shipping costs, and keep your customers happy no matter where you're selling Amazon see your own website. Shipstation brings all your orders into one simple interface, making them really easy to manage from any device, even your cell phone. Shipstation works with all of the major carriers, including USPS, FedEx Ups, even Amazon Fulfillment, so you can compare and choose the best shipping solution for you and your customer. They even offer big discounts on shipping costs. Now any business can access the same postage discounts that are usually reserved for large Fortune five hundred companies. You'll always know that you're getting the best deal the owner. Ship Station is the number one choice of online sellers. You'll ship more and less time with the best rates available and right now, true Murder listeners can ship can try ship station free for sixty days when you use promo code true Murder. There's absolutely no risk. You can start your free trial without even entering your credit card info. Just visit shipstation dot com. Click on the microphone at the top of the homepage and type in true Murder ship station dot com. Then enter promo code true murder ship station dot com Make ship Happen now, Greg, we were talking about the trial itself. Yeah, interesting feature of any trial is when a defendant takes the stand, tell us about this this first trial, tell us about his turn on the stand, right, And I just might interject to to explain to American listeners and people from other countries that in Canada you can't have any cameras in the courtroom right right point. And also you can't you can't talk to jurors after a trial, so it really makes a little more challenging to do the researching.
Speaker 3: Dennis. Yeah, So you often hear a season lawyers say well, I'm not going to put my client on the stand. You know, they don't have to. There's a there's a right to silence. You do hear about trials where people don't don't testify. But he wanted to testify. I wanted to sort of clear his name. And there were also some suggestions, actually more than suggestions. The defense did say that they were going to put Olden family members on the stand as well. That created a lot of interest because here we have an elite family whose intimate secrets you know, were being pried into by the media, and so we weren't sure if they were it was if it was going to be character witness sort of testimony. But in the end that didn't happen. Dennis himself went on the stand and he, you know, he was He was examined by one of the senior lawyers, Gary Miller, who was a new Brunswick lawyer, very seasoned, and it started with the first question was did you kill your father?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: And the last question was did you love your father? Yes? Right, And that testimony tried to revisit his timeline of where he went and what he did on the day of, in the evening of the crime, and possibly the next day as well. But also in contrast to the more negative father son relationship that was stressed by Dennis and his original police police interview back in twenty eleven, this right gave a kind of a rosy review of the father's son relationship that you know, old Dad was a bit of a character, but you know he was, he was, you know, at many levels I admired him. He was you know, you know, we had a lot in common. We love cars, we like you know, skiing boats, whatever. Right, So so that you know, I think that was trying to sort of repair that damage that possibly the defense saw the police interview having created. It's interesting in the second trial, the defense tried to have a whole interview excluded, right, So obviously they saw that as a problem. But the interview went in the first two and a half hours, one end, and again, as I mentioned earlier, after he had been cautioned and given you know, ready his rights so to speak, by the police, although he was not arrested. Uh then Dennis didn't talk very much. But you know, it's it's also possible to to you know, a lot of people like to read the body language and things like that. People have all different views of that. But you know, if anyone's interested, they can find that Dennis Olen interview on YouTube and latch it themselves and see what they think. Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Let's get back to this first trial and his performance on the stand. But what happens as a result in that first trial, Well, what is is spoiler alert, it's a conviction and and and and the jury set sits for about three days, and uh, a lot of court watchers were, you.
Speaker 3: Know, thinking it was going to go the other way. At the time, I thought it was going to go the other way, just based on my sense. I mean, I am an academic, but I'm also not legally trained, and I thought that the defense put up a strong case and seemed to be more aggressive and the you know, so the the a lot of people, you know, even reporters, I think, you know, off the record, we're sort of expecting it was going to be an acquittal. But I was there in court that Saturday, just before Christmas, too, which is you know, added another layer of emotion perhaps to the outcome. The jury came in and announced that he was convicted, and you know, understandably some people in the family are quite upset. And the judge then, you know, ordered him to stand up and taken raid into custody and then to be brought back in the new year for sentencing because as in the States, I'm sure there had to be a pre sentenced reports and recommendations on sentencing, right, and so then he was whisked away and he was held in over Christmas in provincial jail, and then after sentencing. He was actually he was sent to a federal correctional institution.
Speaker 6: Now this is why this story doesn't it has so much more legs. Yes, in the story, what happens there and what by the way, we didn't mention the sentence. What is the sentence he received?
Speaker 3: He got the sentencing February. He had no prior record. He seemed to be a good candidate for reform. The public. The judge agreed that, you know, the public was not really in any danger from him and that type of thing. So he got in. The jury itself recommended a minimum right, the Crown asked for a little bit more, maybe twelve years or whatever. But in the end Justice Walsh agreed that ten years. Now ten years, you know, that's kind of close to a manslaughter sentence, right, So ten years, which still is quite a shock for a man. And is you know, a middle class man or anyone really to be to be heading in for ten years in federal correction where you're you're in there with convicted murderers, rapist.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So he what happened to him? He for a while he was an All federal inmates in Canada are sent to a classification prison in Nova Scotia, a place called spring Hill which used to be a mining town. And then after after they after a certain time, they are sent to appropriate places. Now was as if someone convicted of murder. Uh, he's sent to a more maximum security place where there's a lot of hard cases. And that's that was a renewce in New Brunswick, which is a northern New Brunswick.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's it's called the Atlantic Institution. While he was there, he was assaulted by too young during a visit by friends or family in the visitor family visit room, he was assaulted by two young inmates from Nova Scotia, who, as I explained in one version of my book, were members of these loosely affiliated gangs in Halifax where there's Halifax Nova Scotia big enough to have a little bit of a gang scene because of the drug trade, and they assaulted him. He had to go into sort of a sick bay or whatever there and he didn't press charges, but to the institution pressed charges and eventually those two young men who were in their twenties, who were in for fairly serious crimes, they pleaded guilty to assault and they were sentenced to four months to be served concurrently with their much longer longer sentences. Dennis Olan did not put any put in any victim impact statement to that incident, So getting back to early so he's convicted December twenty sixteen. They prior to the sentencing as well hearing, the defense announced that it was applying for leave to appeal, and they did appeal to the New bruns Of Court of Appeal a number of grounds about the fairness of the trial, and the New bruns Of Court of Appeal agreed to hear that appeal, so that appeal was heard in Frederick and New Brunswick, which is the provincial capital in the fall, and by this time, of course, Dennis has been in federal prison for several months. They also launched the defense also launches an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada because of an issue of bail. Memory. We talked about bail before, but Dennis was in prison having been convicted of second degree murder. It's always argued that when he's launching an appeal, she should be freedom on bail, and that had almost never happened in Canada, definitely not in New Brunswick, so that wasn't there. So there were two appeals underway. One was to try to get a new trial or to have the first trial overturned, and appealingly all the way to Supreme Court of Canada to establish a legal test for bail.
Speaker 6: Right now, regarding his appeal for another trial.
Speaker 3: What was a result that was successful? And I attended some of that. I mean, these appeal hearings are very it's highly specialized. The judges, aren't you know. The judges take briefs and read them and they don't talk about all the issues in the courtroom, but they issue a decision. He was granted a new trial. I mean, the defense had hoped that the the the condition to be overturned, but it was a new trial in stead. And it was based on a passage in the judges charge or instructions to the jury at trial. And it had to do a very technical thing. It had to do with reasons why a defendant might not be telling the truth. And a lay person would find this hard to maybe get the nuance of. But it had to do with there could be other reasons why someone is lying that aren't related to the crime. Right, So a very narrow thing. But that was the justices and the new Bruns of Court of Bile thought that the trial judge had made an error that the trial had not been there, so a new trial was ordered. In the meantime, both sides appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada. The Crown or the prosecution wanted the Court of Appeal ruling to be overturned and wanted the conviction to be restored. They didn't want to fight a second trial, and the defense, although they had scored a win on one level with the Court of Appeal, they wanted the Supreme Court of Canada to say, wait a minute, now, this guy should be freed, right, no new trial, Let's just have acquittal. But the Supreme Court in the summer of twenty seventeen informed the two sides that they were not going to hear that case. So then the two sides started planning for round two. In the meantime. Dennis, he's out unbailed, doesn't have his passport, can't travel out of the country, but he's free to work, uses both whatever he wants to do with his family and friends.
Speaker 6: You write about the support of the family for his defense, but also that this person that was flat broke, this couple that was destitute. It was a different thing after this, after his father died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's interesting that. I mean, this was not ever entered into evidence at trial, only indirectly through some of the documents at sentencing. But you know, Dennis, again, to be fair, he probably did get some sort of buy out from his job and things like that. But you know, in the months after the father died, they bought a building, an older building ironically one street over, you know, connected by back alleys from the building where the crimea taking place. Lisa set up a vintage clothing business which seemed to be successful for a bit high end. I say vintage, you know, it's gently used things like Louis Vauton handbags and you know, Hermie scar office or whatever. And they and he bought a boat. He bought a used cabin cruiser, I forget the brand, but a fairly big boat. And he went on some trips, you know, several trips. And so again it for a guy who's body was broke, it just seemed a little jarring from the point of view or researcher that he was doing these things before he was arrested, so he wasn't laying low. And we don't know where the money came from, but again, he probably had some sort of buyout and wife went on. His kids were you know, in high school and university, and his wife was involved in the business. She also got involve with an art gallery in uptown Saint John and the other owner and manager of that gallery was the wife of Dennis's cousin. I think possibly Andrew Owen, who's his cousin who eventually took over Moosehead. I think I'm correct on that one anyway, So you know, life went on and the the family, you know, Dennis and his wife attended social events, They're involved in different things, and they belonged to two yacht clubs, and they had their boats. They had their circle of friends at least that was involved in these two businesses. So they didn't seem to be sort of hiding out before or after the arrest right in thirteen.
Speaker 6: What do you make of the families unabashed support of Dennis despite this trial, despite this evidence, Yeah, and then with this financial support. What's your take on this?
Speaker 3: Well, again I mentioned earlier, we don't really know you know, who's paying and what the bill is, but it certainly it's you know, two trials, all the pre pre preliminary hearings, and we don't have grand jury's here to send things a trial, but we have there was a preliminary hearing which is sort of sort of by a judge in it decides what were the send things a trial. We have pre trial hearings on evidence called varniers, and we had at least seven, at least six of those for the second trial, and you know, so it adds up. So we don't know. But the family that you know, we haven't There hasn't been any you know, we haven't heard of anyone in the family or the family circle saying anything in public about doubting Dennis's innocence, and he's had shows of support from friends and things like that. At the sentencing hearing in February of twenty sixteen, he had, you know, there were a number of prominent people there, including he didn't come into the building, but standing on the steps outside was a person who was a Canadian senator at the time, just speaking more about what the family was going through. So a lot of the attention at times seemed to go on Dennis, and sometimes some people pointed out that there wasn't much attention to the victim, although with the second trial, I think the family tried to pay more attention to the victim who was a member of the family.
Speaker 6: Tell Us, Yes, tell us about the latest surprise twist in this not in the book, but this is the latest development in this case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, there's two surprise twists. One was that after a lot of hard slogging, the the things started. The trial was slated to take place in the fall of twenty eighteen, and one of the things that the defense tried to get was they wanted first of all, change of venue to another city and or judge alone, because they argued there was so much advanced publicity. There were two books, there were lots of social media, There was tons and tons of newspaper, TV and radio reporting. There was a national broadcaster, CBC Canada had a one hour long documentary the Fifth Estate called Murder in the Family. There's a documentary film crew working in the case now, right, So they get, you know, we can't get a fair trial in Saint tom. So they did some polling. They hired a company again hit the speaks to the deep pockets. They hired a company to do polling of opinion on what I think of Dennis Olan. They try to get judge alone, and they couldn't. The judge ruled against them. Then just oh yeah. What they did get though, they got more robust, robust questions to ask potential jurors. It's called challenge for cause we have a different system in the States. Yours is way more intense and laborious we have. You know, it's a kind of old school. The jurors come in, they're asked three or four questions. The two sides get us a few challenges get you know, how many defense gets and how many the Crown the prosecutors get. But you know, it's a somewhat I wouldn't call amateurish, but it's an old fashioned jurors screening system here. What they wanted was to bring in social science evidence the defense to try to do to allow the people who were quote trying jurors or selecting them to screen them for potential bias. And so they did win that. They got a more robust system of juror selection questions, so they got a jury. They also they called five thousand people to get a jury of fourteen and two spares. That's a large number of people by Canadian standards. Then the twist, there's two twists coming. The big twist is just before trial was was going to begin with this new carefully screened jury, the Crown the defense found out that the police officer, who was kind of like the file officer records officer in the case, had overstapped himself by using a crime management system database to check on the jurors. Now, it's perfectly legal and appropriate for the police to check jurors to see if they have a criminal record, because sometimes they will not always say right and Canada, you're not supposed to be on a jury if you have a Corona record. So he was just doing his due diligenary double checking, but he went a step above and used this internal database which showed any involvement with the police at all as a victim, as someone who phoned in that there was a cat in tree, someone who was pulled over for having a bad tailwight, you know, that type of thing, and so so there's a whole issue of disclosure there and that type of thing, and then possibly painting the process. So turned into a bit of a drama. So it was all behind the scenes. Of course, the lawyers and the judge conferred, and so when the juror walked, jury walked into the room day in November to start with, to begin what they thought was going to be a trial that would last several months and possibly deprive a man of his liberty for several years. After they were thanked by the judge and told that they could go home, and he declared a mistrial. And so the option was either do you start over to try to get another jury and call another five thousand people, or do you go to judge alone? And they in the crown, with great reluctance, agreed, because in Canada, the Attorney General has to sign off in any request for judge alone, right and so, and that wasn't being done so anyway, so they decided they're going to go hit judge alone. And the trial started judge alone, which is exactly what the defense had wanted the second time. And so this missed up by the officer sort of gave them an early Christmas presence, you know, to use that sort of figure speech. So then the trial went on. It stretched over several months. It didn't sit as many days as the first trial, but it stretched over a longer period of time judge alone trial. They did a lot of mutual agreed upon statements of fact. They replayed video evidence rather than bringing witnesses. They actually just replayed some of the video of witnesses from the first trial. They had more exhibits, right, there were a few things that were different, but from the Crown it was basically the same case. By the Crown. There were a few different tactics, a few different witnesses and in the end Terrence Morrison rendered his decision. It was about one hundred and forty page written decision. So that's different because the jurors juris here don't give reasons why they e quit or convict. In the fact that they do, they can be arrested. Here you have one hundred and forty page document explaining every aspect. And the judge ended up acquitting Dennis Olan of first degree murder and he was a free man. And that was you know, just recently, right. Yeah.
Speaker 6: What was interesting though, is the statements by the judge about this, you know, beyond reasonable doubt of his innocence, tell us what he said considering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was interesting for me, as again a non legally trained person, but I guess there's case law on this as well, because he cites it. And the first judge in the jury trial did cite some of these court cases to try to explain reasonable doubt and the difference between you know, suspicion and probable and that type of thing, and this Terence Morrison actually incorporated some of the same language. But he said, remember the first judge said something similar that he told the jury, if you think he might be guilty, that's not good enough. Right. So the judge in the second in this decision actually has several passages in his written decisions saying I didn't totally believe Dennis Olan on this point. That point, on this point, he was incredible, you know, on that point he was incredible. However, overall, I believe that the prosecution did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, and he picked apart different aspects of the prosecution's case. For example, he thought their theory of motive was not really proven by the evidence introduced in court. He believed that the blood the blood expert for the defense, was more credible than the blood spatter expert for the for the prosecution. And the difference being there is that the blood expert for the defense said, well, wait a minute, based on my many years of experience working for the RCMP, you would have more blood at the scene. And also the attacker would have been covered in blood, their clothing, their shoes would have been covered in blood, Whereas the crown witness said, well, there have been cases where someone gets close in with a close in weapon, there's an attack and it's and the attacker is not always covered in blood. They also the judge also believe that the cell phone evidence, which many people thought was very crucial, was not that credible. He didn't, you know, he agreed with He agreed with a lot of the defense counterattack on that cell phone evidence because a lot of that cell phone evidence was based on modeling and predictive mapping of how cell towers communicate with with with cell phones in their radius, and it's not one hundred percent accuracy, it's more of a forecast, and so that created doubt in the judge's mind as well. He found that the financial aspect as well. He says something like, well, maybe the average person would have been upset and stressed by their financial situation if they found themselves in the same situation at Dennis Oland, but it's not proven that Dennis Oland was actually upset. Right, So those are three or four key sections in his decision that think was interesting to a lot of people in the community. Of course, the defense was always attacking the police investigation for being inadequate and insufficient and amateurish and that type of thing. The judge did acknowledge some of that in his decision, but he said ultimately that didn't that that's a neutral factor in my decision. Incredible.
Speaker 6: One last thing, how did the judge dismiss the blood droplets on the jacket? How did he explain or how.
Speaker 3: Did you account for that? That that that's an interesting one too, because you know, again I said, everyone loves DNA right to follow that. But he he agreed with the defense that there could have been other reasons to explain why how that blood in DNA material got there, nose bleeds whatever, right, So so he didn't he again, I think with him that the lack of evidence, the lack of visible blood right on the victim's clothing, on his shoes, in his car, because you know, he you know, he got immediately after seeing his father, you know, he left the building, took a phone call, you know, at six thirty five, got in his car and drove home. There was nothing in the car. The car was searched for fifteen or sixteen hours. There was nothing in the red grocery bag, no blood or DNA. So, you know, I think a few people might scratch their heads at that passage in the decision. But he argued that this other evidence seems to kind of almost wipe out or undercut the DNA and the DNA. It's yes, it is the victims DNA, but there's no proof how it got there and how long it had been there, and of course those two things are impossible to prove of current DNA science. The timeline is also the timeline. I don't want to take up one last thing. The judge was also, he said, because the timeline is so conflicted, he can't determinate time of death, and that's a very crucial reason in his decision.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very very interesting. It's very interesting too the interpretation when we talk about circumstantial evidence and people saying that there's only circumstantial evidence. Canada, the Canadian judicial system seems to put much more weight on the solving or the answering of certain questions almost to seem the reversal of how a prosecution or a judge might view It's this judge almost seems to dismiss some of the evidence brought by the prosecution, like you say in favor of the defense and says, well, there isn't proof.
Speaker 3: There isn't proof.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like we just mentioned on an alternative reason why the DNA. I mean, of course you could look at it that way and say there's no evidence why that was there. But I think in an American judge and jury and even media would look at this much differently. And I apply this case and this story quite shocking.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, it's interesting because we people need time to digest this, and as well, it'd be interesting some more legal commentators, you know, look at that the proof, and the proof will be like within a few days. The prosecution has a deadline to apply for an appeal of the ruling, although the grounds for an appeal from the prosecution are quite narrow compared to the compared to the the the defense. But you know, I think you've hit on the possible area that they might look at. Who knows, but you know, because this is one case, I can't say how it stacks up against other DNA cases. Uh and uh, because you know DNA is supposed to be the magic bullet. But obviously, you know, in this judge's mind, all the all the all the pieces of the puzzle are not sufficiently strong for you know, for uh, for a conviction, although he sees a lot of merit in in aspects of it. Uh. And again Uh, all the language in both cases was his idea of building building a wall with bricks. Like circumstantial evidence by itself is is it can be good evidence, but there has to be enough of it, right. And obviously the jury in the first trial thought there was enough. Right. The jury in the first trial thought there was enough. Uh. This judge uh disagreed. Right, So interesting, same evidence jury in one case, judge in the other.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you know, it's a very very very very fascinating case. And uh and verdict Actually yes, and it's.
Speaker 3: You know, there may be more to the story. We'll find out soon with the appeal process. Yes, very very very interesting.
Speaker 6: I want to thank you very much Greg for coming on and talking about truth and honor. The death of Richard Olland and the trial of Dennis Ollan has been fascinating. Is there a Facebook page or website where might people look for this book?
Speaker 3: Specifically? You can get it through Amazon. It has been released in the States. Also, it's on a couple of it's on a couple of talking book platforms. I forget which one's audible is one and maybe another. So the twenty and sixteen version is hardcover. The twenty seventeen version is paperback, and that is the version that's been made into a talking book. And I just found out last week that we're doing an updated version, an updated paperback that this sounds crazy, will be out in October because they just asked me to do it last week. So so there'll be you know, there'll be a kind of a third edition. I also, you know, if you Google you'll find you know, different aspects of YouTube and things like that, and in different news clips and things like that. But yeah, so there's still be sort of three at some point soon, there'll be three different editions of my book. I think it was released in the States. I know I've done a little bit of radio promo there in the past. So, uh, you can order from from from Amazon, you could order from the publisher, or just ask your local bookstore.
Speaker 6: Absolutely thank you very much, Greg Marquis for truth and honor the death of Richard Olan and the trial of Dennis Ollen. It has been a pleasure. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the chat. Thank you, good night, thank you.