Speaker 1: Welcome to the Nightmare USA Podcast. Using Stephen Throwers Tom's our roadmap, join us as we explore the underbelly of America, one regional horror film at a time. I'm Adam, I'm sev. In our third episode, we're going to talk about what might be my favorite film in Nightmare USA.
Speaker 2: David E.
Speaker 1: Durston's I Drink Your Blood.
Speaker 3: The biggest bloodiest double show. I drink your Blood and I Eat your skin. The men become animals and eat their victimies. I drink your blood and I eat your skin.
Speaker 1: When Durstin was approached to make a horror film in the early nineteen seventies, the only stipulation he received from producer Jerry Gross was that the film cannot be about something audiences have already seen. No vampires, no ghosts, no zombies. So Durstan decided to take a rip from the headlines of after reading about a group of school children in Iran who were attacked by a pack of rabid wolves. He combined this idea with the freshness of the Charles Manson trial to bring I Drink Your Blood to life. I Drink Your Blood is a tale about a group of hippie Satanists who find themselves an abandoned town that has dried up due to the construction of a dam in the area. When they go too far harassing a couple of the locals, a young lad decides revenge as a dish best served by injecting blood from a rabid dog in the meat Pies Sam, if I was going to write an article about I Drink Your Blood, I would entitle it for Pete's sake. Cinema's sneakiest sociopath is Pete's bland the most diabolical thing you've ever seen? And is Pete a bad seed or his life made him this way?
Speaker 2: I think it's funny because when you see Loylesville, it looks very much like a TV show from the sixties. It looks like early seventies. It's very lassy, like if the events of this movie. I realized. The movie starts with a check his head being cut off and naked people praying to Satan. But after that, Oilsville seems very innocuous. So I think that Pete has he's got some demons. Unfortunately, now that he's met up with winter old demons and the correspones, cult. He has to take it to the next level quickly. It's kind of this has some Disney things in it too. It's very if Old Yeller upset you when the dog with Raby's got shot spoiler for a sixty year old movie. This movie like has an Old Yeller moment in the middle of the movie. And where can we go from here? What if Pete destroyed the entire town by trying to take out the people he thinks are trying to destroy his town. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I thought was strange was I would have never thought this is a shot in upstate New York. It doesn't feel like I couldn't and it's almost does have that anywhere USA sort of feel about it. I would not have pegged New York and New Jersey, that's where this film was actually shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they had worked with the sheriff of the town. I guess he provided assistance and he has a bit role at the end. He's one of the costs. But there were big tensions between locals and the production crew that I guess they tried to have Durston arrested or removed. They thought that he was abusing actress Iris Brooks when he was just directing her through a scene.
Speaker 1: And he was abusing her. Actually, if you listen to the commentary, whenever, he's like, I would just she was having trouble showing emotions, so I just slapped her around a little bit and went out there. So maybe they were onto something after all?
Speaker 2: Is this like an early seventies directing trick like Friedkin, Like I just fired a gun up in the air when the take started. I mean, I wasn't trying to traumatize anybody. What does it say about me that several of my favorite horror movies have directors that have like the shining in this that you know their actresses are being abused by a director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and didn't we to kind of talk about that we don't go in the house a little bit. Wasn't there some of that in there?
Speaker 2: A little bit? Oh? Yeah, there definitely is. Like well, also he said you quoted him as saying that he looked and he's like, I don't want to look through the view finder in case the actors catches on fire. You're the one that put her there, right, I mean, like you can't walk away at this point.
Speaker 1: So this was a couple.
Speaker 2: Wilson has a problem too though, because I was going to say, just it's running in the background, and I liked that the population went from four thousand to forty overnight, Like how bad this damn project is?
Speaker 1: Right? And ye, yeah, I don't know what They don't really go into that too much of what what's happening here on they're building a damn and everyone's left except the one character who's wants to keep that bakery open for those local workers.
Speaker 2: But this is her windfall that these it's like fracking, like the businesses that stayed open during cracking, Like everybody else is having problems with the water and all these other things, but the bakery's doing great.
Speaker 1: She's such a good Samaritan keeping keeping the bakery open.
Speaker 2: Too bad? Her food becomes the host food. Right if she had not stayed open, what would Pete have done? He would have gone really really he couldn't door dash them. The the meat pies.
Speaker 1: So what do you what are your feelings about meat pies in general? Do you enjoy a meat pie? Have you had a meat pie?
Speaker 2: There's a place actually in the South Side that has them. It's like a British style chip shop and they have meat pies but I never get them. Would you consider a pepperoni pop and meat pie?
Speaker 1: No, no, I had.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 1: It's either that or in Louisiana. There's a big meat pie industry basically, and it's in Nacotish, and we talked about na. We will talk about Nacotish again when we get to Screams of a Winter Night. But that's where you go if you ever go to Nacotish again. Still, Magnela was shot there. Oprah went there. It was one of her America's favorite small towns. There was a boom in the eighties after Oprah came through. But there are restaurants, one in particular, it's called Lazion's and it is devoted to the meat pie. You can also just get it at the gas station on the way through, and I would highly I don't usually recommend gas station food, but the meat pies at the French Market at Nacottish, at the I forty nine exit, you have to stop and get one. They're great and it's seasoned great. You have the spicy ones, you have just the regular ones. And it's just a meat pie, ground beef, not much to it, simple sort of thing. They also make crawfish pies in that same oh sort of, I like that, Yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 2: I guess the pepperoni puff might be the closest thing. It's a West Virginia thing and it's like either a pepperoni roll or puff where it is like just like bread with stuffed with the greasiest foods imaginable.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a calzone maybe or something very close.
Speaker 2: It's like a cold cow zone, like you can be served at Eddie temperature, and uh, this is what Pittsburgh does best. They're like, what's the food that would make us the fattest? And we say probably like pepperoni and cheese, Like what if we put a lot of bread in Greece around it? Like can we get French fries too? Right? They say yeah, probably.
Speaker 1: So this came out just a couple of years well not even a couple of years. This was maybe a couple of months after the end of the Charles Manson trial, so that was really fresh in people's minds. And it's just kind of a weird combination that he looks that's all going on the background, and he's reading about these school kids in Iran who have contracted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he saw footage of that too, supposely like I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where's Erica? Yeah we again? Has she seen the Rabbit?
Speaker 2: She has a four K of that footage of kids getting woof rabies, like she did commentary on it and wrote the book that's in with it. But oh yeah, hors Bones is definitely Manson. But I love that he to one that he's like he's a The actor who played him was a dancer, so he has like a very like he's in better shape than any cult leader you've ever seen, and he shows it off in the beginning when he's doing his awesome speech, but also like he has put together the most united colors of ben gang you've ever seen. Like there's a chubby housewife that's part of this gang, and then there's like a black a gay black guy with a little tiny hat on that carries around a parasol, and there's a literal dragon lady. And when Lowry like, none of the how did these people meet? That's the HBO women. And that's what I want Nicklas Refing to do, not maybe at cop I want him to do this and tell us how did he Horsebones get these people to join up?
Speaker 1: I have. One of my first notes is that these hippies are not unlikable. At the least, they are the most likable satanic hippies you'd ever have to meet.
Speaker 2: Right, if they didn't assault somebody at the beginning, I would be completely on their side. It would be interesting if that scene wasn't in here and they just did a Satanic ritual and then everybody just judged them for their religion. So this movie does make me think that it's like, is Pete the hero or not? Like if we saw this from the hippies point of view, which I've been watching a lot of biker and hippie movies lately, Like this is what happens, Like the bikers coming to town and all the vocals are against them. All they want to do is go in a bar and break stuff and punch each other and then fall asleep in a pile. That's what happens in The Pink Angels, right.
Speaker 1: I love horse Bones here and that act he's about, you know, just a cult of part personality right there.
Speaker 2: Oh, when he comes into the meat pie shop and he has the the older lady with him, right, he comes in and they give him a free meat pie, and like a quart of milk, which I don't know. Do you drink milk with meat pies like this? I'm going with you was the meat by experts here for this episode?
Speaker 1: Hmmm, No, I wouldn't say. Well, as if it's hot and if it's spice enough, you might need some milk to cut Okay, so it's possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just like that he comes in and he's all smiles and he's really happy, and then there's other moments where he's terrifying. I keep really, it's really great in this movie. Like I I wish he in my dreams he doesn't die, Like I don't want a spoiler. I don't want him to die, and I want like someone to bring him back from the dead if not, because he could. Why do we get ten movies of shitty characters like ghost Face that I don't care about and we only get one horse Bones movie? Uh? You know, like that's what I want?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's talk about Creep Show two again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, sorry, Well this happened just a quick Creepshow two story that I've been saving for you for the show. The other night. We've been fixing our pool, as I told you, and uh, there was like a whole layer of the algae that I had put this stuff in. And when you put this green to clean in, it raises the algae out of the pool, And of course I got high. I was out walking the dog and I saw this algae floating on the top and it looked like it was moving, and I'm like, oh my god, the raft is real and I ran my dog. I ran the dog into the house panting. My wife's like, what are you doing? And then she said let me see your eyes and I was like, the raft is in the pool. She was like what? And then I explained Like halfway there explaining it, I'm like, oh my god, why did she marry me?
Speaker 1: This one? This movie? Right off the bat was giving me creep Show two, the first segment, the Old Chief wooden head segment. Oh I mean you Old Chief?
Speaker 2: Is this bucket? Is that this podcast is a crossover between creep Show two? And how does creep Show two impact? That should be a question at the end every time what reminded you Creepshow two? And that's the one I do say? Thanks for the right lady. Every time I see a hitchhiker, Sure, thanks for oh my god, he's so great. I love at the end whatever she gets out of the car and it's like written there, Oh my god, it's perfect. I love that. When Horsebones Cult gets into this house, they're like so happy about this house, Like they're all celebrating, they're all dancing. He's high shooting a gun at rats when Rowery's just walking around with a rat, Like, what a time to be uh in his cult?
Speaker 1: What a time to be a rat? The rats, So the rats in the fights, it's the best times and it's the worst of times for rats. Little put it that way in the seventies. So these rats in this and for the majority of the rats in this movie, they were ethnically treated as ethically mainly as possible. There was a rat wrangler. They said they would not let them hurt the rats. Ben is in this movie. Ben the rats you know from Yeah, they're both here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there are some other rats who were not as lucky. But they were already dead allegedly, and they got them from a lab after the lab had killed them doing their tests, and they gave them the rats. And then they spray painted these rats because they were white lab rats, and they spray painted them to match the rats from the beginning, the darker brown and black colored rats for because they burn.
Speaker 2: A lot of the rats. That's the worst job in this entire movie. Like, what, how are you breaking into Hollywood? I painted dead rats today.
Speaker 1: On your first round of your civ rat dinner for I drink your blood.
Speaker 2: Oh. I mean, it's a hard business to get into. So whatever gets you in there, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, you got to get your your union cards somehow.
Speaker 2: That whoever doing it, though, I feel really bad for Also, like I like that they didn't even explore the town, that maybe there's a grocery store or maybe some other stuff. They went right to frying rats Like that's like they're cooking rats over a fire and eating them like that was step one, I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's part of the Satanic way and how devoted to Satanism were these people in the first place. It felt like there was more cosplay Satanism than actual devoutness.
Speaker 2: They're not like in the in the leavey form of Satanism. They're the kind of Satanists that we were warned about in the when we were in high school. Do you know what I mean that They're like they got sheets of blue acid stars or acid that looks like Mickey Mouse, and they're going to try to get you to take it because they're so dumb. They're going to give you their drugs, because that's what hippies do, hippie double worshipers, do you know what I mean? Like these feel like the ones I was warned about by the cops in the Catholic church when I was a kid. A multicultural gang is going to come try to get you. One of them will be wearing the most racist Asian costume. One of them will be an angry black guy. One of them will be a dancer, an Indian dancer. It's such a weird.
Speaker 1: The speaking of Catholicism, let's talk about the title of this movie. So you have I Drink Your Blood and of course I Eat Your Skin, which is a movie that has absolutely nothing to do with I Drink Your Blood. And it was again this producer Jerry Gross, who would take these movies. He had the movie this I Eat Your Skin, which was what was it was? It just called zombie before I can't remember, but he retitled it I Eat Your Skin. It was a movie from the sixties that have you seen it? Have you seen Eat Your Skin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not the quality drops off between the two films.
Speaker 1: It's no, we do not go together anyway whatsoever. Now I did. I kind of liked I Eat Your Skin though, in its own way, because again, it felt and we've talked about this before, the Mondo type movie, the travel log movie, and that's kind of what it felt like to me. The guy who he's an Arthur On Arthur, an author, I guess, and he's having I wouldn't say writers block. He's just not doing his job. He's out there wooing women by the pool and his editor shows uthing's like, look, we got you got deadlines. We need you out here writing, so we're gonna take you to this island and where something's going on to inspire you to write some stories. And you know, somebody has is doing scientific experiments and so this like a zombie ish sort of vibe film going on. No skin is eaten.
Speaker 2: It is. Jerry Gross was the king of renaming movies. Because Day of the Woman is an okay title, but I Spit on Your Grave is an amazing title, and like what's crazy is like Cinimation this company when it went out of business. He disappeared for like three or four years, and he worked at a seven to eleven, just like as a clerk, not owning one, and then came back to making movies as a Jerry Gross organization in the late seventies. Like I love that. Like he just like, yeah, that seems like a good plan. Maybe they have like some kind of healthcare. But he my favorite quote of him is stars don't matter, titles do. And he's right. I mean, he he was one of those huckstery kind of guys, like when he did a double feature of Mondo Kane and Mondo Kane Too, and he hired people to dress up his tribal people dance outside the theaters. This is politically incorrect, but also like, of course you'd want to go see that movie after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and here it was the original title. Well, first of all, I was filmed under the title State Farm, which has nothing to do with yes. And then the director, David Durston, wanted a title phobia. It's kind of like Psycho, that's what we're going with. I mean, the Mountain.
Speaker 2: Hydro is another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which would make I mean, it's right there in the title, which we're getting hydrophobia. And but Jerry Gross said, we're calling it I drink your blood and I'm parented without eat your skin, And I love that. David Durstin's responsible, So why don't you just call it I shit in your saddle bag because none of that happens in this movie either. You know, nobody drinks anybody's blood.
Speaker 2: This is a good white double feature. Like you said, though, this is is very It conjures up those thoughts of of you know, one bred, one body, as we sang in Catholic school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and that's what durst In the same like, what is this what kind of Catholicism thing are you going for here? With the drinking the blood and eating the skin?
Speaker 2: That would be funny though if like they were, that's why they stuck around, like the priest and this old man a crazy child at a meat pie company. Those are the only people that have stuck around.
Speaker 1: So well, let's talk about grandpa, Grandpa the vet. Yeah he's a vet. Right. He goes to After this the initial assault is on again. There's five people in this town, so it's the sister. Pete's sister gets assaulted by the members of a couple of members of the group. She's kind of secretly seeing Andy, who's a group member who's not devout at all. He's just kind of hanging around there, and so.
Speaker 2: Grand to get laid. Don't you think that some people joined these cults. They're like, oh, there's a lot of hippie girls, like, I'll just join, We'll see what happens. Sure, that's what Andy makes me feel, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's just he's there for a good time, not a long time. And so Grandpa goes to I don't know exact, some revenge, yeah, and it doesn't go well for Grandpa at all, and they dose him on LSD and break his glasses and send him back on his merry way. And I love the table because he goes back home. Pete of course shows up and he brings Grandpa home, and Grandpa sitting at the table and he has a salt and pepper shakers and he's putting it up up to his head like their horns. And apparently all that was improvised, but it's so good.
Speaker 2: His attack was foiled by taking his glasses off, Like that's literally he came in with a gun and instead of shooting it. They smashed his glasses and then they kicked him in the nuts, and that's that's all it took.
Speaker 1: I'm like velmot, like jinkies. I can't see a thing without my glasses. If you took them from me, it's I'm a goner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is easily bested for all his gumption, I guess. And then he gets his face licked. So I'm sure he didn't like that. He's all this woman's being forward. I'm a grandfather, but yeah, that he reacts to acid as if he's on dragon. It like, I'm shocked he didn't try to fly out the window. I've never taken LSD. I don't. You don't have to answer, but have you ever taken it?
Speaker 1: No, I've never as a pharmacist, I've never taken any sort of illegal substance. And that's actually true because I'm too scared too, because I can't lose my license because I have no other skill set.
Speaker 2: Ah, I have taken a lot of legal subsists. I'm a writer and we're supposed to do that, but never asks. It feels like something that would I'm a control freak, and it feels like not to be a square. But I feel like I would either like it too much or I would get wasted, Like it would be like a Narnia type experience for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as it is for Grandpa.
Speaker 2: He suddenly thinks he's the devil and he has stower.
Speaker 1: From supper shaker horned. Okay, but this sets Pete's plan and the action. After Grandpa seen the way they treated Grandpa, he says, well, what I need to do is go kill this rabid dog who's out and about, and I'm gonna take it to blood and inject it into the meat pis. That'll show him. And it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and but I love that Pete is like he was already he already didn't trust him. He was already mad, do you know what I mean? He had already been threatened by them a couple of times. So Pete's plan is crazy. Like That's why I think he's kind of the bad, secret bad guy of this movie, because like anybody else's revenge plant, step one would be there's still a cop in town. You were in his car. All you get to say is, hey, I found the guys that assaulted my sister. By the way, his sister is a teenage mother. That's the actress that's in Teenage Mother, another Jerry Gross movie. But he uh, instead, he's like, you know, I think I saw a mangy mud that has rabies. I'm gonna kill that dog. And don't serial killers start by killing animals? Right? Yes, especially at his age, He's at the right age for it. And then why is he left behind in this town? Is it because nobody wanted him to come to the city. I mean, like everybody else got to leave, Like certainly his school moved to another town, and like all the other kids are like, where's Pete? Like Pete has problems, He's gonna be staying with his grandfather. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Instead, it's like whenever you wouldn't have the the pregnant teenagers sent away with aunt whoever for a while for a few months. That's what they did with Pete. They just said, you're staying with your sister and grandpa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pete's going on vacation. Kids. And because like Pete, that has Pete ever attacked you with the compass? Oh, piece is not allowed to have the compass anymore. He's not allowed to have sharpened pencils. He's only allowed to use.
Speaker 1: A typewriter, so is whenever they get the meat pies. I think is that the most disgusting part of the movie is the way they eat these meat pies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Also, wouldn't you think And I guess if you're a hippie, I'm probably judging you, right, But like, wouldn't hippies wouldn't there be a chance that at least one of them is vegetarian?
Speaker 1: Or is this Yeah, And we kind of talked about that last time, and so Andy does not eat the meat pie, but I don't know if it's just because he sees them eating it and it's so disgusting that he says, no, I'm good, thank you, I'd rather die.
Speaker 2: He was fine with eating a rat, but he's like, you know what, I try the line at meat pies. This is a very meat heavy hippie group. Like they're all like, yeah, they love it, but yeah, it is a disgusting scene. I don't think this is the kind of movie you can eat during. I would not recommend it. N The cult like kind of what I love is like the infection like quickly moves like through sex, of course, and then the construction workers and the callists start terrorizing everybody else. Every It's just like, I don't think Pete intended this to go the way that it did, you know, Like I think he was like, I'll just take out this gang after I shoot a dog in the neck. I love that he comes back in with a smoking hot shotgun and and his sister's like, no or whatever her name is, the meat pie. I was like, you can't do that. Don't go out and shoot a dog. He said, let me pet this cat. I'm fine. I don't hate animal, see, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: I forgot the construction workers. Oh, the construction workers. I totally forgot about them, even you know, being in this movie and contracting the rabis. I guess I've watched this, I think in twenty twenty three. So the way I again, I've talked about this before, you know, around twenty twenty is when I first started really getting into these films. And one of the first things that I saw was that ag for Horror Trailer show. I don't know if you've ever seen that, where I don't know, it's like an hour and a half of just yeah horror cult horror film trailers all cut together, and of course one of them is I Drink your blood and eye eat your skin that trailer. So that was the first time I'd ever heard of this movie at all, and so I've watched it. Actually, I think I bought that Grindhouse Blu ray pretty quickly after seeing it, and then I still never watched it for a couple of years, and I finally got around.
Speaker 2: To did you get the syringe with it? That that's thatt that came with this ringe pin?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think so, I don't think singh.
Speaker 2: One of my comic book stores around me has just a syringe pin for sale. It's like fifty bucks, but it says I drink your bot on it. I'm like, I really should probably buy that, Like it feels like that's a good purchase.
Speaker 1: I feel like I had one whenever Visual Vengeance released la a jabber. Oh yeah, I know you Vengeance.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. I've talked to the director and he's said to me, I don't know why people were so upset about the title.
Speaker 1: People really get worked up about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, also, that's the era that like they would say on the news, like be careful when you get coins out of the machine, because there's maniacs leaving syringes and coin booths, you know, on the telephone and if it stabs, this feels like one of those you're not reacting. This feels like one of those like didn't your town have clowns coming out of Vance? I mean, like, no, the eighties weren't that terrifying for me? Sam? Maybe I just had a mom that would say these things to me, like don't look in quarter things and don't do this because you know there's a gang led by horsebones trying to kill you. Sam.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, grown up in the eighties, you're you're like, it's not if you get kidnapped, just when you get kidnapped. You know, this is what you need when you get kidnapped, right, Yeah, And it was and it was bad for me because I mean, the the kidnapped being child kidnapping story was Adam Walsh and so they'd made that mini series about that. It's called Adam My Name is Adam, and the kids will be like, you're you're gonna get kidnapped your name You're.
Speaker 2: Just like, oh my god, I grew up in Haddenfield, Like that's like a hadden Field kid thing. I love in Howard for where they're all like Jamie's Uncle sup boogey Man. Like, she's like, just let her fucking live? Can you let her live? So I think, well, that's rough on you. I am sorry that you had to deal with that.
Speaker 1: Well, kids can be so cruel. That's why they need to all die. And that's why we're with Erica on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, h Pete. Also, after he shoots the dog, he shows that he is considerate because he washes his hands. There's like they shot a scene of him washing his hands, and you're like, why is that scene in this movie? I love it? But he is so excited when he sees that tray of meat pies coming out here. And I don't know if you noticed during that scene where they're putting the meat pies, there's a poster on the wall for a drive in and there's a night Living Dead is one of the ads up on the poster behind them. I think it would probably be better if I had four K and not the horrible DVD that I bought. Spoiler I didn't buy the Grindhouse releasing one years ago. I bought a really bad quality copy of this and it is green and only half of the image shows how this guy released. The quality control amongst the Mill Creek sub Mill Creek labels of the world like good Times is not good stick to Grindhouse Releasing, please, I need to buy it from them.
Speaker 1: I forgot it, like we were talking about earlier, I forgot about those construction workers. And that's there's a lot of interesting things I learned about all of this from between the film commentary, the commentary on that Grindhouse disc with between Durston and bash Car, and the Stephen Thrower chapter. He devotes an entire chapter to a drinking But there is a lot of overlap and I found that too on Don't Go in the House. There's a lot of overlap between what's in the commentary and what's in the book. So but they, I guess just some about that construction worker scene. That was really the only scene that has any nudity in it. There's the sex scene between thank you and thank you Durstin for not giving this character a name anyway, because I'm not going to remember it. She's just credited as Blonde cult member. Thank you. I don't I don't need to know. I don't need a first name.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: So Blonde cult Member goes with these construction workers and they kind of abuse her and assault her. And but that gets cut out of some of the movies or some of the versions that I learned that the film received an X rating. It was allegedly, again I didn't do any research about this at all, but it was allegedly the first film to receive an X rating just due to violence.
Speaker 2: And it really feels like I amdbs, doesn't it. It's like, yeah, it's it sounds good, but who.
Speaker 1: Knows if that's true. We're gonna say it is because they said it is. If anyone has any proof of any other movie that was, please let us know. And so what. And they just received this rating two weeks before it was supposed to be released. The film, and so the projectionists, individual projectionists were told, just cut the film however you see fit to meet the standards of your local community.
Speaker 2: So they're I'm even just cut out like ten minutes, like there was ten minutes that played and that was it. That's all right.
Speaker 1: So there could be two hundred versions of this movie out there, because they played in about two hundred theaters. And each projectionist was told, just cut cut where you feel like your community would object and so that would be a scene that might get cut out a lot, is that scene between blonde cult member and the construction.
Speaker 2: Workers and Iris Brooks, But I love Yeah, it's just a blonde cult member.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was. It's an important scene for the context of the film because it's also intercut with the explanation of what's happening. You know, Grandpa says they have rabies or hydrophobia, and so you have some exposition going on, and then it cuts back to blonde cult member getting assaulted and put in the shower and turn the water on and so that you know, freaks around because of the hydrophobia fear of water. Yeah, and so all of that. If you cut that out, it you do lose some context. And this is not a context heavy movie by any meanings, but still you would you wouldn't miss out on that what's really happening with the rabies?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be anything, Like I I was thinking about that this week. It's like, is each progressive uh romero zombie movie happens, we get a better explanation by by day, like they know totally what it is. They're working on a cure. But I love like in Dawn It's like it could really be anything. It could be a Jupiter probe, it could be a plague. It could just be the Hell's full and it's a or it's voodoo, or it's something else. But it's like in this, it's like, no, it's just I don't want to test this. But I don't know if rabies could be they have a better chance of getting rabies from the rat a than this, because what i't the heat of cooking the meat pies, cook off the rape. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think after it was cooked, okay, but I don't think. I don't think right esus transmitted that way necessary. I think then the question the science becomes would the gastric acids destroy you know, does it have to enter the bloodstream directly and not through the eating it? You know, probably have to be.
Speaker 2: The beginning of COVID where they're like, hey, don't go to salad bars, and I'm like, it's not transmitted by crew tions guys, Like it's like.
Speaker 1: I'd be scared of salad bars. Any communal, any flue, cold, any sort of virus.
Speaker 2: We have to figure out where we eat when we meet up, because like I eat gas stations and salad bars. My system for the times, is it? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the gas station would be safer in this case, I think. I don't know. I don't know if you've ever been a Golden Corral and it's just uh.
Speaker 2: They all went out of business in Pittsburgh. But yeah, just gold and crowds upsetting. I probably wouldn't go to a lot of buffets like a Vegas buffet maybe not to think about it. I don't know they have. I used to go to them all the time.
Speaker 1: I have a chocolate fountain at Golden Corral, and you would just see kids just like sticking their hand in it and licking it and sticking their hand. I can't. I just can't. Oh my god, I can't.
Speaker 2: No. No, I love that, like once this gets going, like there's just like maybe you know a lot of the movies that we'll watch have padding and stuff in that this is a pretty lean movie. Like once they eat the meat pies, it's not too long until we have all this craziness happening. It It comes together really quick. Also, I love that Corresponds random randomly walks around with a gun and just puts it at his members' heads, Like that's the kind of and just thinks it's the funniest thing in the world. Like it just he just doesn't care. This is his perfect time to be in because there's four other people and he can really just do whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: They did not use any prop weapons in this, by the way, so any he's a real their guns are real, the axes or and the so the actors were saying, well, uh, boshkar On that commentary was saying how the other actors were very scared of, you know, if something went wrong, you know, whenever the leg is cut off of that character. His name is Shelly. I wrote this down, And that's the one that they they end up tying up and they cut his foot and they hang him and swing the blood around on them. That's that's all in the trailer. And but they end up chopping his whenever once they get rabies. And the one that the Asian character whose name I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh, her name is Sun Lynn okay.
Speaker 1: And she has and she's who is she she's related to someone? Her name is Jayden Wong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she hasn't really crazy. Did you read the story about her drawing? Uh when she worked for the U. S O. Mm hmm, so like she was in the middle of at the end of World War Two. She actually went to Germany to entertain the troops and one of the helicopters she was in exploded. This might have been during the Korean War. Anyway. They said, you know, we have to jump out because this is you know, we don't think this is gonna be landable. And she asked for her makeup kit and they said there's no time for that. She said, there's gonna be reporters taking pictures when they get hit the ground, so I'm gonna put on my makeup. So she literally did her makeup as she was in the air. This really feels like a BS story, but I love it. I hope it's true. And she was honored by Congress for how many times she played in Deadly warsones. But she's in any movie that needs like an Asian dancer. She's in The King and I the Pink Panther Remaker of the Dragon. But she worked on Broadlank Cabaret a lot, and then finally she went into start her own talent management group and really like Joan Chen with Diamond Phillips, Lucy Lou Bailing and she had a ton of people that were in her group, and she actually uh worked with the Bernardo Bertolucci and a few other people for their movies. So like, her career is much bigger than this little bit that we see her. And it's like she had a wildlife already before she had already jumped out of he of a helicopter putting on makeup at this point in her life.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of I watched Airport in nineteen seventy five for the June's ploitation for the Linda Blair. We might talk more about June's ploitation later, but for the Linda Blair category, and that was it was who is it is it? Lillian Gish who was in Who's the Actress? In the old Yeah, and she was had her memoirs and that's what she was trying to get off the plane, and she wanted her her memoirs on that she had out on tape, and they were like, you can't take that with you. We'll bring it to you later.
Speaker 2: If you made the journey through like each of the airports, uh, where as they progressively get s and worse.
Speaker 1: I've only made it through the second one and I was listening to you know, Unsung Horrors and had their June's Plotation episode. This weekend, Erica watched Airport nineteen seventy five. She watched Airport nineteen seventy for her Disasters pick and I'm with her. She did not like it, and I did not like it either. I thought it was terrible. I thought it was boring. Oh, I want nineteen seven original. Okay, it's I was boring.
Speaker 2: And super long. If you watch it on TV, it would have been three hours. I'm here for it like that would have been like a good nap movie.
Speaker 1: I said, this was nominated for Best Picture. This is terrible. This is horrible, this one.
Speaker 2: That's why they new Hollywood had to destroy the studio system because things like that.
Speaker 1: But I said, I want to watch the rest of them. And so I watched Airport nineteen tis five and I loved it because well, of course Karen Black fign it too. Yeah, Karen Black, the students have find a Plane.
Speaker 2: Oh it's great.
Speaker 1: I love it, recommend it.
Speaker 2: Every seventy seven gets even better.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm watching it.
Speaker 2: Nine is my favorite, and because I have no taste, but also like George Kennedy's character goes from being in the ground crew to somehow being a pilot. I don't think anybody in the history of flying planes has ever made this journey. And also it's a very male gaze movie. But there's one point where one of the sewardresses like, you know, I can't stand to be in here with you mail showing his pigs, and George Kennedy says, we're well, they don't call it the cockpit for nothing, darling, And he's the hero of the movie. He also shoots a flair gun out a window. He rolls the window down on the concorde and shoots a flare gun to get a heat seeking missile to go away from them. The science of this movie is literally Italian exploitation movie level science. That's probably why I like seventy nine. That and Concord Affair could are interchangeable, the Italian version of Airport seventy nine. So you've been listening to anyways, this is not an airport show airport podcast word creep show two. This is probably edit out anyways.
Speaker 1: No, it's not gonna get edited out at all. Oh, because I don't care what I don't care what Riverside, the co creator tells me whenever they give me editing notes of saying, y'all you went on a The last one was did you think you needed to talk about Creep Show two for four minutes?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that we did. Yes, and it's staying in.
Speaker 2: It wasn't enough, right, it wasn't get used to it.
Speaker 1: Riverside. This is the way, this is the way this is gonna work.
Speaker 2: Horace Bones can take as much acid as he wants and he like heart it goes through it just fine. But just give him a little bit of rabies and he's tripping balls, do you know what I mean? Like when he finds that dude come with the AXI, He's like I'd never seen no body before. He's like totally like wow, Like he's so into it. I love him. I have no notes for bash Car other than I wish he hadn't been paralyzed in the seventhies, like because that's why he stopped really being this. He's great in this movie.
Speaker 1: He's fantasy. He could and I wanted to talk about that with his his accident, so he didn't. He fell off the stage. It was what maybe within a year or so, of this film, in this movie, and he was working on another production and he the lights went out and he fell off a stage and he had a fracture in his back that left him paralyzed. Which I mean that should not end someone's career, obviously, he I mean in that day, it was. But because you would just have you know, able body people put them in a wheelchair and that's it. You know, you would and you would never write a role for someone in a wheelchair and to just be yeah, living their life. But that's what And I don't want to make it out like he's an inspiration because I know that you know, in the disability community, you're not trying to be an inspiration to anyone. You're just trying to live your life.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But he he was able to pivot to like I think painting or art. He went on with his life and he found other interests and other means. And it's a shame that he was able to be in more films, but I'm glad that you know, he said he went through all the stages of grief and all the Kobler Ross things, and you know, it came to acceptance and he said, this is the way it's gonna be and I'm gonna yeah, I'm gonna be an artist now. And he sold many paintings and good for him.
Speaker 2: He's the only person in the cast that was nominated for an Oscar. He was in a short, the Creation of Woman. I love that, like whenever you look your people's IMDb and it says like, I did not expect anyone from my drink your Blood to be an Oscar nom but here we are.
Speaker 1: It's what if Helen Hayes can win an Oscar for Airport nineteen seventeen, anyone can?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that's kind of like end of the year, end of the career kind of things, you know what I mean, where it's like, hey, we know we never gave you an Oscar, but let's give you one for this, Or can you be Michael Caine and be like sorry that I can't accept my award. I'm making Jaws four. I if my poor mom came up on the fourth of July and she's like, why are you watching? She draws four and I'm like, we watch it every year on the fourth of Jus We watch every Jaws and this is Beca's favorite. And when it was over, she looked me dead in the eyes and said, this is the dumbest movie I've ever seen in my entire life. And I said, I know, isn't it great? And she's like, no, it's horrible, and I'm like, you'll never understand me. And then I cried and ran my room like I was sixteen again.
Speaker 1: So that's the one where the shark goes. The shark travels to the bombers or whatever out of revenge.
Speaker 2: It goes the water and saltwater Jaws of the revenge, and it's also a psychic shark that can roar. Yeah. And there's also a romance between Roy Scheider's widow and Michael Caine playing HOGI it's it's I want to reclaim that movie, like I. Nobody else is trying to do that, Like Freeze even is just as bad, if not worse. My wife does not like two. She thinks it's boring. She loves three.
Speaker 1: Two. I'm with her to yeah, boring.
Speaker 2: And those kids are idiots, like right, get him out. I think Cruel Jaws is better than two three or four. I'm gonna die on that hill alone. I think Great White is better than two three and four two anyway, is this a Jaws podcaster?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Jaw some more. I was looking to say, when did I watch Jaws the Revenge last? And it was in twenty twenty, and I said, I didn't hate Oh, you got to watch it again, and I would watch it again before Jaws two. That's what I said in my letterbox review.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jaws two is just like Crawls. I love that Roy Scheider would take roles that he didn't even want to do, just so he wouldn't make another Jaws movie. Like that's why he's in Blue Thunder. He's like, I don't I know they're getting carried up to make another Jaws. Get me into your helicopter movie, and he was fine with that.
Speaker 1: Ida great.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my god. I love him so much. I love anytime I just think of him. At the end of Jaws, when he's like, smile you son of a bitch. Whatever he shoots it, it's so great, Like it's oh, I love him in that movie. That rack focus when he's on the beach and he realizes the shark attacks happening is just so good, like where I am there with him through Wow, he's like just so every man in it.
Speaker 1: My last jow movie doesn't.
Speaker 2: Have Yeah, what is your jobs for? Okay?
Speaker 1: Tell me my last note on Jo just the Revenge, because I just have to say is that it includes the song from by the Jets, You've Got It All, You Got It All, which is the best power ballad the eighties produced, because the girl who sings that is like twelve years old and it's phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh I love when more movies should have love theme from is what I think? Like when there's like.
Speaker 1: The love theme from I Drink Your.
Speaker 2: Blood, wouldn't it be great if I there's only the one romantic scene where they're in the uh, the cop and her, and there'd be just like a little like maybe a Chicago song would be in that such an like the inspiration would be playing that. That's in an achronism. Put it in the IMDb notes every day. I'm coming from this. The last movie I watched before the show was The Stoned Age, and that was a whole movie written about led Zeppelin, and at the last minute led Zeppelin, of course wouldn't let them use anything. They're like, well, we'll use Bluster called it instead. Wildly different audiences like not as many people. I love blewis you call this whole movie is for people that love blueister call it? And I'm like, why did this movie fail? Certainly people know veterans of Psychic Wars as well as I do.
Speaker 1: No, oh yeah, so okay, what are we talking about? I drink your blood? Okay, So do you think do you think this is and this is not getting none of this is getting edited out. We're just gonna lean more into this as we go along. I think, all right, So do you think we're gonna talk about another movie that we talked about last episode two, which is David cronenberg Berg's Rabbit. Do you think, yeah? How inspired by this film do you think Cronenberg was? Because there are lots of similarities.
Speaker 2: I totally think so. I love the Kronenberg I mean he was inspired by Emmanuel in the in the Cannibals, right, because that's why he made Video Drum, because he saw it on TV either that or Minoan in America and he was like, who would enjoy this? What if there was a whole channel of it? And I love the Video Drum set in Pittsburgh, Thanks It's the worst city in the US. Dave and saying it. I'm like, David, what do you have against my hope too? I love it so much, but yeah, this feels like that and also that when Lowery's also win Shivers too. Another Cronberg movie, It's and it's like wow, like do you think At some point she said to her agent, like, am I the go to person for movies about infectious diseases running wild in closed communities? Because I've done it a couple of times.
Speaker 1: I love that she gets She has no lines in this movie, but she gets a name. Her name is Carrie, but blonde girl does not get a name right.
Speaker 2: She is an She's wonderful in this movie, but she's also changeous, like she is like her eyes are almost like black in it, like were her only a white showing she's very unique looking. And it's just like I know that if she went to my high school, I would be making her mixtapes and she would hate me, do you know what I mean? I'd be like I.
Speaker 1: Would put the jets You've got it all on the.
Speaker 2: Shape, I would make her one that would be ninety Sisters of Mercy and then just like maybe like I'm like try it would be very like uh, nascent alternative goth. I wouldn't put the Pixies on it. That would feel too heavy, like she's like she would like early Mazzie Star before fade into you. I'm trying to think what else I would put. That should be a project, Sam, Why don't you just go off and make shut up and go off and make a playlist for the character you have the biggest crush on in the movie. I will. Yeah, let's do that, Bashgar. Here's your playlist.
Speaker 1: I fill our Patreon for me speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. People are gonna pay for that. Holy the world's crazy.
Speaker 1: Uh. I love it when when characters literally go for a roll in the hay and that happens in this movie where our Andy who was the cult member who did not eat the meat pie and the cult member No, not the cult member this I guess she's the sister who he was seeing u who was assaulted at the beginning of the movie Sylvia. They roll around, they they go into hayloft and roll in the hay uh and until Pete finds them, of course Pete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have you ever Matthew all these deeply personal questions, I've never rolled in the hey Bill and I have talked about this on our Groovy jym, like it seems really gross to roll in the hay am.
Speaker 1: I I identify as urban as well, so I uh, but I had been around Hey once when I was a kid. My dad was from Ohio and we went up there for some like a school reunion or family reunion or something and ended up somewhere and they had hay and I was it's just not something I really care to be around. To be honest, I did a Hey.
Speaker 2: We do a lot of hay rides here in Pittsburgh. It's like a big thing over Halloween, and like it's not comfortable to sit on. And then I think, like do I really want to get that exposed and roll on Hey? Like it doesn't seem sex. It seems gross to me, like it would look I'm no shrinking Violet. But you know it's like, oh, what's on your b DSM do's and do not. It's like my hard limit is hey, I don't want My safe word is safe word, and my hard limit is Hey.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like jumping into a pile of leaves that you don't want to do that either.
Speaker 2: But it feels like stabby leaves like there's like stocks, do you know what I mean? Coming out of it? Like, I can't imagine just rolling around in your own I can't find a comfortable way to lay on this. Hey, I don't know the people that like Hey also like pillows that have real feathers in them, which is I think barbaric and like also painful. I don't like it, and I'm sorry if I'm insulting you by making fun of people that white pillows like that.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the demise of these characters. Because rabies is incurable, They're going to all have to die one way or the other. So one that I forgot about is the Molly, who's the pregnant character. She's carrying Horace's child. And she has a fantastic wig that she pulls off from time to witch.
Speaker 2: It off, and that one, yeah, she picks off. I give the same hair under the wig.
Speaker 1: How that I had to take This is another aside. I had to take my cat to the vet yesterday and I'm sitting there and I'm just scrolling. I get a the way my mind is right now. I have so much going on in my life. The only thing I can really watch or things that are very familiar. So I'm watching a ton of The Golden Girls reruns that I could recite by heart, and I'm really loving Roku has a channel devoted to the Price is Right, the Barker, the bober Era. Okay, and he's a terrible person. He's a terrible person, but a great show man, I guess.
Speaker 2: But my dog is enraged because that's why my dog doesn't have bass because of Bob Barker's Well, have your thoughts.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm watching. A lot of is game old eighties game show. But so there was a clip, of course in my feed that was from Super Password from the eighties. Bert Convey uh directed it, who was in a great movie called Jennifer About which is a carry knockoff. But anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Love Burt Conbe showing up randomly in movies. I just want to say it. He's a good random show up.
Speaker 1: So it was he was hosting and uh, Rip Taylor was one of the celebrity guestses Rip Taylor and Patty Duke, and Patty Duke accidentally says the word the password and Rip Taylor takes his wig off and like creates such a scene and I had never we had never seen Rip Taylor take his wig off. It was fantastic. Go look this up. It was hi, he looks fan. He's so funny and there's a silly way, you know.
Speaker 2: He's one of those comedians that whenever I would just make a YouTube like deep dive of watching Rip Taylor on shows, and my wife will say to me, because she was born uh what thirteen or fourteen years after me, so she missed the era of TV where people just had a character like who was the guy that said? Oh, yes, like those kind of people. She doesn't understand these these people and they show up. She's like, why do you think Rip Taylor is so funny? And I'm like, how can you not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so silly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just like it's just he hosted a beauty show, the Dollar ninety eight Beauty Pageant when I was a kid, and it was I watched every episode. I watched Madam's Place for Fox's sake, all right, and my and my wife's like, wait, you guys, this old prostitute is upping and the like, and this was a career. I'm like, can't his own TV show, Madam's Place? Like we accepted madam is a real person in the seventies, this is how things work.
Speaker 1: So Molly a channel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she takes her wig off and I was like expecting her to have different hair, and she has the same hair under the wig, which is a move, right, that's a fucking power move.
Speaker 1: So she ends up killing herself and her her unborn child, and it's I had forgotten about that part, and it's it's very sad. And but the director again, you know, she was, you know, asking this director, David Durston, you know, his motivation to the you know who's like, you don't have anything sad it ever happened in your life? You know, can I slap you? Maybe? Can can that work? But in this case, she had to come up with her own thought of like, well, this is Horace's baby, and Horace is kind of a terrible person, and I don't really want this baby anyway, So I'm gonna say I'm just gonna save this baby by killing it in myself instead of giving it rayby So I mean that's.
Speaker 2: Dark, Yeah, me dark, It's Horace's baby is gonna end up being does evil skip a generation? It feels like that baby could be really bad.
Speaker 1: We get a fight between Rolo and Horace here at the end, and it was kind of like, this is the moment where I've been waiting for. Rollo is the is our black character who I loved. He I loved his line where he says, guess who's coming to din Den?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very of its time. He's also when God told me to I totally forgot he's in that too.
Speaker 1: And they have a fight. Are they both killed in that fight? I can't remember, So I.
Speaker 2: Think they both kind of just like wipe each other out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we need to talk about before that, Horace and the python.
Speaker 2: He has a journey he goes out of like vision quest assisted vision quest.
Speaker 1: He stumbles upon, well, I guess one of the only other people in this town is this guy who has a python petting zoo sort of situation set up and he, uh, Horace pulls out that python and the guy comes. The owner comes a confront horse who kills him and he's like put him in a choke hold and the guy's dentures fallout, which was again.
Speaker 2: That was real though Right did that.
Speaker 1: It was real and it wasn't scripted. It was not planned, but it it's one of those moments that it's like, that's some fortunate, unintentional humor in this movie What is not? The python really died in real life from it and I let you about Boshkar was saying he thought he did it because he kind of chokes that python, and Durston was saying, no, they told me it was because of the heat and the lights from the from the uh filming. I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is the same guy that was like, we didn't really kill any of these frats, we exactly.
Speaker 1: And I didn't. I don't know why they were so upset when I just slapped that actress a couple of times.
Speaker 2: I mean, people, should I just walked up and slapped a woman in the face and why would you be mad? They? Yeah, he's a rough customer. He's also amazingly from my hometown. I didn't know this before I started watching this. He's from Newcastle, PA, which is the town right next to mine. And I was like, what, yeah, and my mom said, that's actually a well known name in the town. But she didn't know who he was because he would have been probably like six or seven years older, closer to my dad's age, but uh yeah, which is crazy. Also, Spencer Logan is his other name. That was his name when he made adult like Manhole, which has Zebite and.
Speaker 1: Jamie boy Napped. Boy Napped was another one they made the statue.
Speaker 2: No, it's they're two different movies. I didn't watch them. I didn't do any research. Sorry, I did my own research. I watched James The Revenge. Yeah, like, Sam, do you not care about this podcast? All you want to talk about is Jaws Revenge? We I'm here to talk about boy Napped.
Speaker 1: I watched it.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Sorry, I didn't mean too.
Speaker 1: I did watch. I did watch, Yeah, do some homework now. I did watch Stigma, which was oh yeah, okay, we'll talk about that and and yeah later and once we if we ever make it to the end of Watching Your Blood, we'll talk about some more other man.
Speaker 2: I I did watch another movie for research for this, The Virgin Sacrifice. It's a ripoff remix where somebody took Devil's due the adult movie opera Lizard and a Woman's Skin and I Drink Your Blood and made their own like four minute bite movie. But they posted it on YouTube as if it came out in the sixties and that it was the Church of Satan made it if they didn't, like instantly when you watch, is it sad that as soon as it started, I said, oh, that's that adult movie. Vindegar Syndrome put out Devil's Due like in two seconds, and I'm like, am I the pervert? Am I the problem? Yes? I recognize Andrea True and I'm like, yeah, that's that's me. But anyways, I wanted to find out it was a real movie, and no it wasn't. As soon as I saw when we see it's in there and presented as if it really happened. The scene with the cutting knife, and I'm like that also, do you love that she just shows up at that family's they're having a great look at ham and she's like, you know what if I just picked up this electric carving knife. I think about this every year because now that I'm the oldest male in the family, which is scary for my family, I'm sure that I'm the provider and protector. I'm the one that has to cut the turkey. Now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know that patriarchy really comes out at holidays when it comes to carving meat and saying the blessing over the dinner, I will say. I was like, oh, now we're all into the patriarchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. I'm like, why aren't twenty you guys cut it. Also, my dog gets a rotestify chicken every week, which is very similar to doing the turkey because he's reached the stage of Chihuahua where it's like, oh, I know that you've spent so much money on this fancy science diet. I would like a four dollars rotistic chick in a week, please, and you just acquiesce. This is why I can't have kids, because I can't even imagine, Like, I know, your daughter, just get married. I would just give her my debit card and say, go. That's kind of how I am with my dog. But yeah, that is the patriarchy. Your job as a man is to know how to just tear a checking open with your right like, uh, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to.
Speaker 2: Could I have those special closet they sell for barbecuing that I see at Walmart? No, you could just do it with the fork.
Speaker 1: So there is some melodrama in this movie. I think there's a whole subplot with the owner of the bakery and the foreman of the construction worker the forman of the construction workers or whatever. I don't know how well that works. Actually, I love melodrama in movies, so maybe it does work well. That actress isn't it is not great. I don't think no, But maybe she is. Maybe she's playing exactly the role the way that that it needs to be played with that melodrama.
Speaker 2: And when he comes to investigate his men and the one guy comes out with his mouth foaming, he's like, you know what, I know there's due process, and I know that I should probably handle this one way. I'm just gonna shoot him. No questions asked, Like while he's standing with those two doctors, like, wow, what a leader. His guys turned so much faster than than Horace's people. Yeah, they instantly get white mouthed and h crazy, And are we to believe that every one of these guys slept with that woman?
Speaker 1: Like that's a that's a good question. You know, they don't really explain how everyone got it.
Speaker 2: So yeah. They then they run across the set of Don't Go in the Woods Alone, as they like run through these rocks.
Speaker 1: Or and uh, and that was they just happened upon that, you know, location production value. Yeah, Yeah, it was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Also, I've learned from the scene that if I ever run into infected like this, all the skills that I learned from swimming in a pool as a kid will protect me. Like kick water at them, splash them with water, throw water balloons at them. That's how you protect yourself. So yeah, So at the end we're left with we have poor Andy gets decapitated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so we have Pete, of course is still around and Sylvia. I guess that's his case. His sister is Sylvia, and Mildred is the bakery owner. So that's who's left. And I love that there they have Andy's head and they're just showing it in front of them like like like, oh, and the car won't start. Here we go again with the car won't start, Mildred.
Speaker 2: If I lived, the car not starting is my biggest nightmare more than Quicksand it happens that doesn't have anymore You don't hit the button and then like nothing.
Speaker 1: Happens, right, Yeah, but I get it happened all the time. You would think those cars would be more reliable, but they aren't.
Speaker 2: Kujo's a kid, I'm like, my car will always start, like that's like, I'm stuck in that car not starting. I'm like, no, that won't happen.
Speaker 1: Fortunately for Mildred, there's a water hose right there by the house whenever they need to get to this car, and she's able to hose them away from since the hydroph Did she know that that that would work or was she just using whatever it was at her disposal to try to stop these people from encroaching.
Speaker 2: She's like, hippies are known for being dirty, so what if I do this, They're going to run. I think that's she's really just being racist. A gets hippies. So when the Deadly Spawn I love from want to get to that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get to that.
Speaker 2: He died from the water.
Speaker 1: He must have killed Horace because he was still there at the end. Whenever, because that's yeah, Mildred sprays in the face and wipes all his foam off his face and he falls on to the top of the car and he acts like he's dead. I don't know what happens. Uh so, but didn't Mildred seem to get bit during that confrotation. We'll get back to that.
Speaker 2: Maybe they were setting up a sequel. There's a lot of stuff that was that didn't end up being in the film, So like, I'm wondering if that's another one of the things that got cut out.
Speaker 1: Well, let's we'll get to that real fast, because this is really how the movie ends, is they they do get away, the police show up and take care of all of the infected. They just shoot him and kill him, and then a movie kind of ends. Pete gives this walking through a field. La la la la la. Everything's fine, everything's back to normal now, and that's the end. But there was an alternate ending that they said, I guess they called it the darker ending, where Mildred is in bed and the guy, her boyfriend, the construction worker foreman guy, comes in there and she ends up killing him and she's infected and that's how it ends. And I kin't like that ending more I think than Pete's walk into the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's also supposedly an additional ending sequence where Pete tries to turn himself into the cops and they just laugh about it. So that's what leads to him walking through the field thinking about what he's done. I like the milder stuff better than that. That doesn't feel like if you're going to punish Pete like Milder should kill Pete. I don't know, but that's super dark.
Speaker 1: You just want Pete and dead. It's okay, we all know.
Speaker 2: I think he's a danger. He's a danger, right Like Oh, I love Rhoda and that cheap out ending where she has to pay for it. I love her so much. Like also my mother in law and child pictures look just like wrote a pen mark.
Speaker 1: Every girl in the in the forties and fifties like wrote up end mark.
Speaker 2: We were going through her old photos at the house. If my wife said to her, did you ever return that metal that that you stole for the for the handwriting competition? And she was like, I don't know what you're talking about. Explained the bad scene to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have said, what would you give me for a basket full of kisses? You know I'd give you a basket full of hugs?
Speaker 2: Did you kill that bum that was trying to lay in the Excelsior.
Speaker 1: In the excel sor like what is the Excelsior.
Speaker 2: Wood shavings? I only know that because stan Lee's to say it all the time, and I looked it up as a kid and it means woodshage. I thought it meant something like really like, uh, you know, intelligent. No, that's that's what it meant.
Speaker 1: It's flammable as what it is. And speaking of flammable, we have more fire here because we did forget to mention. As part of the deaths of the cult member, Sue Lynn sets herself on fire, just like the guy in the Crazy set himself on fire. Just you know that that emotionless Uh set yourself on fire and not move a muscle.
Speaker 2: I don't think we had yet reached the point where people could say, hang, you know what, that's really racist and I don't want to do it. She's like, I'm the only Asian person in this movie. Do I really have to be the person to set myself on fire? But back then, you know what, I'm just happy to be representation in the movie and if this is what I have to do, I don't know. It's that always like kind of hits me. Weird that she's the one that does it, but uh, I don't know. I do you think today people would say the shorthand I would give to kids is like, oh, she does the Ragingus Machine album cover thing to herself because they don't understand where that came from. They're like, oh, that's just a picture, Mike. No, Like people were protesting the war by setting themselves on fire, and I still fought in the war.
Speaker 1: So that's the end of your blood. I wouldn't death. Bihydrophobia is terrible. It's a terrible death.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've read this is an IMDb trivia thing that I pulled for Aby's infections is actually a slow process. It does not happen as quick as in the movie. The incubation rages were too to eight weeks and rare occasions. It can vary from ten days to two years. You could have rabies for two years and not know it. If you're listening to the show right now and you're feeling you're starting to trip out, you bite have rabies. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: The donner, I mean, there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 2: We get a lot to help you.
Speaker 1: You know, working in pharmacy, there's we would get a lot of people coming in for bites and they would get the rabies. You know, there's a rabies vaccines and you have to come in every There was a schedule. It was like five or six series or of injections that you would have to take after a bite of a potential Rabi's. So it's not but that's that's better than getting rabies itself.
Speaker 2: I would say this is more IMDb as supposedly the production use actual rabbit dogs in some shots under super vision.
Speaker 1: How do you see that supervision?
Speaker 2: I don't think that's true because they were like, do you know what I mean? They're like, you know what, we can just use the regular dog and everybody will buy that. Is this? We're doing it for art, Like, you know what, it would be better if we made sure that is that the same rabbit dog?
Speaker 1: Is that the same person who supervised that Polar Bearer and Wild Beasts?
Speaker 2: I That movie upsets me, but I like it.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 1: It bought Rats and rats being killed.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm speaking for the Italian people. As an Italian American, we love seeing rats get killed. I did a podcast with somebody that would had never watched an Italian movie before, and we did Rats the Night of Terror and they're like, you know, how do you think they did the effects where the rats are attacking people? I'm like, they just threw rats at people and they set them on fire, like they did not care. Like if you see in a sun an Italian movie, n chance that person got hurt or killed, you know, And it's the same thing here. So David Dunstan said that he had talked to somebody that was in a cult and he saw he talked to them about what their actual uh, their their rituals were, and he followed them for this movie again a couple of shit. That's like, it's a great story. That's like every satanic movie was like, we should get Anton LeVay to come and be on the set. And of course he's going to talk about it and say that he did a blessing for John Travolda during The Devil's Reign. Do you know what I mean? Like it feels like the same thing here, like post Rosemary's Baby, the Astrosis, everybody had a story about the cursed set or you know that. You know, we used real rituals. We used a real rabid dog for like the Saint Kujo like that we can make it without that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what else you said, You didn't do a lot of research, And.
Speaker 2: I did research. I actually did research on the p Yes, but not.
Speaker 1: Watch not other films, but So if we talk about what to pair with this, what do you have? What would you pair?
Speaker 2: I think last week's movie is what the Crazies or Nightmare City? Those are the two. Yeah, nightmar If we're going with one that is from the book The Crazies, and then if it can be anyone, I would pick Nightmare City because, Uh, that has the best it was all a dream bullshit ending of any movie I've ever seen, almost to the point where I'm like, I buy it here. Also the best dummy drop ever off a roller coaster, know us, uh in a movie. So that's what I would pick.
Speaker 1: Well, what did you do? Well? Rabbit again? David Cernenberg's Rabbit, of course, will work. What I eat your skin would not work unless you just want to be real historical about it. Uh, And I wonder did you was it I drink your blood? Then you would watch I eat your skin? That's what that feels wrong.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, Like, doesn't that feel like you would be let down? It should be the other way round.
Speaker 1: It would be I would it would have to be. I would think I would not This a.
Speaker 2: Hard movie to follow? Doesn't it feel like a tough one to follow? Yeah, there's just so much that happens in it.
Speaker 1: I thought about, if I want to be really cute, I would pair with Old Yeller and watch Old Yeller and then I drink your skin, And I think that would that would be fun, That would be a fun night. That was my first introduction to Raby's was Old Yeller Hydrophoby. He called it Hydrophoby.
Speaker 2: My mom said to me, You're not allowed to watch this movie. And that was like, you know, usually I would hear that stuff about Gore right and not this. You can't watch Old Yeller. Why you'll be upset by it? And of course I had to watch it.
Speaker 1: That was I was introduced very early to Old Yeller. We had whenever was a kid, we had a ceed player, and so that was the only one I had, the only movie that I wanted. I was like, can I can we get Friday the thirteenth? No, here's Old Yeller?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Which one is really more traumatizing? Do you think I probably think Old Yeller?
Speaker 2: Look get a dog? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can I have a dog and watch Old Yeller? Is what happens?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They get hydrophobic.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to do this subday side.
Speaker 1: You're also going to go have to go mark mark pigs. You're gonna have to climb up a tree and pull a pig up to mark them. But I guess what I'd go with because we talked and we did talk about early with Stigma, which was Durson's follow up film here, and that film has a very young Philip Michael Thomas who is a doctor who was unfortunately incarcerated. He had performed an illegal abortion and he was sent to jail and his mentor helped him get out early for release, and he was going to come back to work with his mentor in this town. And it turns out when he gets there, the doctor's dead. And the only thing that we know is that doctor left the tape of some sort of sickness plague sort of thing was fixing the sweep through the town. But we don't know what it is. We don't, you know, we don't know what's going on when yeah, it turns out to be syphilis. And it's really an interesting movie. I really really liked it. It's very different. It's not horror. I guess some horrific things happen, but it's not horror at all. It's really more just kind of a drama mystery. You don't know who the villains are per se. Yeah, so yeah, check that out.
Speaker 2: No about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't have enough watches log views on letterbox. I would recommend everyone checked that out. It was on to be I think.
Speaker 2: Everything is though.
Speaker 1: I think everything everything worthwhile is for sure.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to see my parents' trip to Orlando in the seventies, it's on twob You can see them go to Disney World. You know that they're running us. I actually had a teacher that did that. He ran out of movies and he said, you know what, let's watch Why don't we watch one of the one of my family's vacation movies. And we're like, what are we learning from this? What I learned is sometimes teachers get drunk at lunch and don't want to teach you anymore. But yeah, he should have let us watch this movie. I would have learned all about rabies. It's the end of this when they're all on top of the car, all going crazy and beaten on the car. It's terrifying. But also what's interesting is like the evil has moved past, like Horsebones and Rollo have killed one another, and now the evil is the disease to peak caused versus like we've been set up to think that that's the main bag guy of the whole movie, and his death is kind of an anti climax a bit you kind of want the cops to shoot them, or I don't want the cops to shoot them. I love them, I want them to live. I just want to set I got it? What Like suddenly there's a clip out of context to me saying, oh, yeah, cops should kill horse bones. No, they shouldn't defund these police. But that's my feeling. They shoot a lot at the end, too, Like it's very really they like there's a bunch of stock footage from other movies of guns being loaded, guns at night, guns of flashing. It's like, this is very much like what would happen. This is the most realistic part of the movie.
Speaker 1: So that's how I drink your blood. If you haven't seen it, what are you doing here at this point?
Speaker 2: I guess, But you're like, why did I listen.
Speaker 1: For an hour and a half talk about I brought in some titles for you, though, so good alternate titles here.
Speaker 2: We already talked about hydrophobia, ben Italy. This was called Mortivvente the Ray which of the living dead, this is not a zombie movie. In Japan it was called Execution squad zapp with two peas. I love it. I love that title. Uh. And the reason I'm telling you this is that one of the two German titles will tell you why you may have picked a double feature, the one isd Satan's Bond Day the Satan Gang. But it was also called Darrel tau Rousian, which means the rabid Ones. So were they like cashing in? Did that come out late enough that they're like, you know what? This could be rabbid zero? So yeah. There was also going to be a remake of this at one point, supposedly with David Derrison was going to edit it, but he didn't want to direct it. He wanted it to look better than what he did, and Sibil Danning was supposed to be the star in it.
Speaker 1: I'm working about Sibyl dans too. I watched what did I watch with Sybil Danning? Oh, the Day of the Cobra is what I watched recently with Sybil Danning.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about it the other day and as a kid, that was my if you would ask me other kids. You know my age book. I like Tiffany, or I like Debbie Gibson. I like Sybil Danny and twelve year old me, fifty three year old me, she would kill me. Right, twelve year old me had no idea what I was in for. Right, I'm like, oh, yeah, Sybil Dannings are really pretty. Yeah, you're a fucking child. You're not ready. Like I saw, they're playing with fire, right, that kid? I hate that kids. He also has loved scenes with Sylvia Christyle and My Tutor or a private lesson. Sorry to everybody that loves Sylvia Cristell movies. It's just weird. I don't know why I had this crush, and it's probably the mean girl thing. She's a bean, short haired one, and that's that's my bread and butter.
Speaker 1: Right there, we'll say they're playing with fire for the Patreon. Then if you wanted all the Mama's family, all the Mama's Family fans can for that one.
Speaker 2: She is doing conventions, and I get so excited about Mama doing conventions in costume. This is good. I actually brought some questions for you though on this movie. Do you think that I drink your Blood is a backlash movie that reflects anxieties of Middle America towards the counterculture, and that hippies are kind of presented as postmanson drug field satanic threats. Do you think that was the idea of this movie or do you think it was just like yeah, that that works. But could do you think people could see it like a Starship Troopers maybe negative, not realizing what the story of the film is.
Speaker 1: I know, I think so. I think that there was definitely some intent of Again, he was told not to have villains of you know, like vampires and ghosts and stuff. So you know, that's when he looks to the papers of who is the villains of today, the real life villains or these same Neissippis. And it was such a you know, the satanic panic really came full throat in the eighties, but before that there was you know, it was so real at that time because of what had happened. Just this this singular event, the Charles Manson murders, was so uh, it's such so encapsulated that time and just it was kind of like probably the the oj Trial of that time of you know, everyone was told in as much I mean they didn't have in court cameras in the courtroom. And you know, but I'm sure every night people were wanting and you know, reading their papers or watching the news and we're just want to know what was going to.
Speaker 2: Show that shot on the news the girls with shaved heads and the you know, they had their head shaved and swasikas on their faces and they're all praying to court, singing and stuff like it was, I mean squeaking for I tried to kill Gerald Ford in like what seventy six or seventy seven. Yeah, the Manson story was a long story for America to live.
Speaker 1: Through, sure, and it kept going, you know, with Helter Skelter and different different movies and books about it even still to this day. I'm sure that people you know, are you know, it was one of the top serial not he wasn't a serial killer, but you know, I guess true crime stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And the other thing I think is interesting about this movie is it feels like, I know, it's a horror movie, but it has some like like we talked about like the TV like it looks kind of like a TV show from that era, but it's also like kind of a western like the town versus outsiders a little bit, and like, these people kind of ride in and they don't have good intentions for the town, and I thought there's something interesting about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that. I haven't watched a ton of westerns, but yeah, the ones that that I have seen, they usually do perform that doesn't running motif in a lot of westerns is you know, you have these and of course the citizens or the good people, and these encroachers are the bad people. And you know, you know you'll eventually you'll find some westerns later on that kind of that's not always what's really going on. And so the these encroachers here are not great, but they're not that bad either, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My last question, I have two questions. One is that's the first one. Pete is clearly supposed to be the protagonist of this movie, and we thought this he commits mass murder, like everybody that dies in this movie is Pete's fault? Does do you think that the film expects us to root for him or we meant to realize that everybody in this town is horrible, including Pete.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I don't think that he intended Pete to be like considered a good character, not necessarily complicated. I think he's just kind of maybe just a kid. You know, like, what what is a kid this mind gonna do? You know, how is a kid gonna think that revenge is gonna be revenge on someone? And you know that's a that's a kid's way of thinking. I guess is kill a dogg in and checking blood with meat pies.
Speaker 2: I think he thinks it's like, you know when one of my friends day, say Nicholas, is that he has one of those rings that you put powder in, and I'm like, great, like why do you need this to poison me? But like whenever we see poison in movies as a kid, and someone like shakes that ring off, the person dies instantly. There's no like protracted sickness or anything in the same way like Rabi's is like, oh, like when you get hit by a snake in a movie, you die, Like that's it. You don't live. And I think that's maybe where his kid's brain's going. But last, and most importantly, because we did The Crazies last time, what of these two movies did you like more? Does it have to be a binary choice? I hate that Internet bullshit. You can only choose one and what goes away forever. You must destroy one thing that you love and only pick the other. But if you were to say which one do you like more?
Speaker 1: I like I drink carebllot more, just because it's the entertainment value and it's it's just a lot of fun and the characters are so memorable.
Speaker 2: I did love.
Speaker 1: I like the Crazies too, and I think I'm able to recommend The Crazies to more people than I am. I drinking blood. I was actually talking to our son who lives in Italy, who was asking me about this podcast, and he's like, should I watch? Should I watch these movies? He's not into horror at all. It's like, should I watch Don't Go in the House? And I said, no, you should not watch. I said, it's too dark and disturbing for you. You know, it's it's psychologically disturbing. I said, but I can recommend The Crazies to you because it's you know, it's kind of tangential horror. It's has horror elements, is not pure horror. And I said, you'll like the way the it's really about the government and their response to a disaster and their ineptness and their the bureaucracies and all of that. I said, you you will really enjoy that. So that's a movie I can recommend.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It seems like most people prefer the remake on The Crazies and the original one that I've talked to, And I wonder if it's kind of a they saw that one first. You sometimes, you know, if you ever hear a if you hear a remake of a song and then you hear the original version, you don't like that original advice versa. If you know the original and they make a remake, you don't like the remake. So it may just be a case of which one you see first.
Speaker 2: Or younger people that don't want to watch a movie that looks old or is paste old, and the new one is a little slicker. It has that mid two thousand's dark color palette. Do you know what I mean? It feels, but I don't know. I like. I would say I like I Drink your Blood more because it has memorable people and horse bones makes it like I think. If The Craziest has anything that I don't like about it is the enemy is us and it's it's also a bigger movie where it's like the whole world and like, you know, all the response from Washington. It's like a big like this could really happen thing, and it makes me think about how bad society is versus like I drink your Blood's like this isolated town, forty people are in it, there were four thousand others forty and one kid causes a whole bunch of chaos, and also like this one is very neat and clean, like, well, we killed all those people everything. That's fine because they didn't use the ending.
Speaker 1: Where they did not use the alternative ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that alternative ending is the Romero ending. That's what he would have done. He'd be like, yeah, you know, if if Dunston had made They Love Me Dead, it would end with Ben walking out and having a cigarette on the porch and that's the end, and be like, good thing, I survived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go them and then get to the fields.
Speaker 2: And then people would be like, oh, is that movie really a classic? He must sacrifice himself to be a class.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the old Yeller ending where you know, all these terrible things happen, but we have savage Sam or you know the puppy and say, you know.
Speaker 2: That's I love that. Like my town is known for a movie with the biggest down ending. It's like, uh, you know, I hate that? Here or you're cheering four watch two minutes of being dragged onto a woodpile and set on fire. Hey night, Living Dead's chipper little film.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's her next film? It's your pick?
Speaker 2: Do you? Oh boy, let me think it's been a while. It's been a while since we thought about what they are. Remind me. This is how you remind me.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a deathbed.
Speaker 2: The bed. Yes, I actually was looking at I have a signed picture from the director over here. You have not seen it? Have you seen it yet?
Speaker 1: I still haven't seen it. Watch it. I have to watch it.
Speaker 2: I want you to tweet. I have to watch it as you watch it, like I want to want to get a text during it, and you'd be like, holy shit, say with movies insane. I am so excited. I want more people to watch Deathbed because it's you hear the title and you're like, this is gonna be really stupid. Yeah it is. There's parts of it that are dumb, but there's also parts of it that approximate Aret and like, you're what this is wild? So I'm really excited to talk about it.
Speaker 1: We have some things to plug. I saw that you and I both have articles in this month's issue of The Physical Media Advocate. That was a coincidental. I don't think it wasn't playing necessarily. You wrote about Bad Dreams, so I haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to reading it. I really did like Bad Dreams. I watched it for the person time a couple of years. I feel like, did I see it when it came out. I feel like maybe I did, and I just kind of dismissed it.
Speaker 2: I dismissed it definitely.
Speaker 1: Marrin Elm Street ripoff sort of thing. And then I watched it in the last year or so, I was like, oh, this is actually pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Actually an interesting double feature for this movie because it's got a called in it too, burning and then fire a real person that set him off a fire. Richard Lynch really did that. That's why he has those scars. I love Richard Lynch. He's so good in that movie, and I think it rises above It's definitely inspired. There's a lot of it that's a lot like Dream Warriors, but I think it's really good, Like I'm a big defender of that movie. And then I looked it's the issue. I didn't realized how it was going to get laid out, and I'm like, god, I wrote ten pages.
Speaker 1: I saw it well, I was scrolling it. I was like, that's why I haven't read it. I was like, yeah, why is why is Sam's article so long and mine is so short?
Speaker 2: I felt like I didn't know. I said, what's the character count? And Rise like do whatever you want? And of course, being a writer, I was like, I think people need to read nine thousand words. It's longer than the script of probably a Bad Dreams and probably I've watched it more than anybody else. So yeah, it was like, oh, but I'm excited. I haven't gone through the issue. I've been saving it for this weekend, so I'm going to Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my article I try to hit am about If I hit fifteen hundred words, that's I'm doing really good. So I wrote about the exploitation classic Mom and Dad speaking of producers like the one Jerry Gross. Here we have Kroger bab who is the godfather of exploitation producing, right, I mean the King of Yeah, so it's it's really about him and his journey of bringing this film called Mom and Dad, which is a sex hygiene film. We'd say Joan is in trouble. Poor Joan. She gets herself pregnant in a very quick scene which they get they're in the car and they go down and they come back up that there's no sex shown in this movie. This was filmed in or released in nineteen forty five at the end of World War Two, and so what people wanted, they wanted sex in their movies, and but the you know, rating or there was not really I guess it's more like the Catholic code where all we had that time, you know, we had to really try to side step all of that the code business. And so what Kirker Babb did was he kind of encapsulated this film inside of this it's an educational film. It's this is a sex hygiene film. It's going to be educational in this, but there will be nudity shown on screen. Now, the nudity we get is speaking of syphilis, a syphilis and gonorrhea infected genitalia. This is what we get on screen, So that that's kind of what's going on in my article. And actually it works well with Stigma too because within Stigma there was a film within a film shown of kind of of course, it was called v D then the venereal Diseases, and it was all about, you know, trying to stop the spread of syphilis. And that's what we have here. But Kroger Bab the producer, of course, great marketing, and you would have separate screenings. Females would be shown the film and then they have screening just for male audience members. And I think the females they got to see the childbirth scenes and cesarean and this would be something people had never seen really in real life, so there is some value of education in there. And then the guys were shown the syphilis riddled genitalia like because that's that's kind of what the film is like. There's nothing worse for a girl. If a girl got pregnant, then their family has such shame and they have to leave the town and everything. But the guy who got the girl pregnant, you know, you're just gonna get of an aerial disease.
Speaker 2: I love the Kruger Bad would change up town to town how he was going to sell it. Like sometimes he would be like, well, this is a really moral town, so we're gonna sell it. Like if it doesn't sell as a lesson, it's gonna sell as something nobody wants you to see. And we'll put fake protesters out and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna put fumes into the air conditioning system of the theater and someone's going to pass out, and I'll make sure the newspaper's ready to record them take him out on a stretcher, and then the headline the next a will be movie upsets people so bad. Also like that movie is so another example of the male gaze, because guys went to see it just so they could see a female genitalia in the movie, whether riddled with syphilis or baby coming out of it, which you know, I don't have kids, so I had never seen this, and it is terrifying.
Speaker 1: So those who are starving, even the bitter taste sweet, I guess, so yeah, tell ye, that's all you got the thing we're going with.
Speaker 2: I also liked it at one point, he had it. These nineteen reels have been going across the country, and a different doctor and nurse in every town selling the book that went with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they would just stop midway and they would have a lecture of you know, all about what you had already seen. And then and in the some setting, Jesse Owens would come out and and Jesse Owens would come out depending on the audience.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh, I love I just read an article that was like an av club that like, Obsession is the biggest independent film of all time. I'm like, have you never heard about Mom and Dad? Because that movie ran.
Speaker 1: For like twenty some years, right, and like it ran a long time. It was like one of the biggest money makers of the forties. It may been the third largest grossing film of nineteen forty five.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it costs nothing. It's amazing that, like when the irs came for him, he said, yeah, I really don't know how much this movie made. I never kept track of resisiated. He knew exactly how much bad. He knew how many of those books that he did that went out. I also loved the idea that I've heard that some of the nurses were also burlesque dancers. So it's like, oh, you also have a really hot nurse. That's a nice to come to see this movie warning you about things.
Speaker 1: Just like this. You know, I love one last kroger Bab story is that we you and I both watched Uncle Tom's Cabin a couple of months ago. Oh yeah, he you know, so Uncle Tom's Cabin was a German film. Is a German version of this story of here at Beatrice Snow's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Speaker 2: It's an art film. It's ostigious.
Speaker 1: Herbert lam is the star, and you know, it played it con and it was supposed to be this big, you know, art movie that just did not take off. It was long, two and a half hours or something. So anyway, they sold it to America. Kroger Bab got his hands on it and he tried to re edit it as I think the movie is called Sylvia and it focused on another a minor character within that story, and that bombed. And so then al al Adamson and Sam Sherman got their hands on it, and Al we're cooking with gas.
Speaker 2: You know, they were like, can we be scummier than krager Bab And they're like, oh my god. Sam Sherman definitely is like he is unafraid anytime I wear my shirt of his company, the one that Severn put out I feel so proud of like being a Sam. Like Sam Sherman is a good Sam to be, do you know what I mean? Like I love that he put out all the al Adams stuffy. It's obsessing to me, the al Adams in the table to just keep on making this stuff like nobody was stopping them.
Speaker 1: So pick up that copy of Physical Media Advocate. I'll put a link in the show notes. I know Amazon sells it, and I think there's some real retailers out there, independent stores and such that that sell it. Pick it up, check it out. Yeah, anything else you have to plug? And then I want to Yeah, thats BNS about movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we are also on Groovy Doom every Saturday, almost every Saturday from eight eastern until four in the morning sometimes, but yeah, being uh, this one will be already a play, but you can watch the episode we're doing tomorrow night. We're doing Omen two and visiting Ours, a Lead Grant double feature as is gonna be on with Brian Norton, who actually they both know Lead Grant, So it's gonna be pretty interesting to hear a lot of that stuff. But we're trying to find more double Features. I think a lot more Florida stuff's going to show up this year because we watched Revenges My It Revenges My Business, a Florida shot movie with like William Carwin's in and of course, and like I've sent it to Bill and he was like, oh my god, this movie is so great. I'm like, I know, like movies like flash Feast and stuff like I love when we show these old Florida movies and people brick, why did you make us watch that? And I'm like, have you We've been doing the show for six years, Like maybe you should know that we have no case whatsoever. Like this is like Batpeople is an Oscar movie for us, right, So I go with it. But yeah, that's that's what's going on in my life.
Speaker 1: And we're on Instagram. We started that recently. Not Mary Usa Pod, Yeah that's right, Not MARIUSA. Pody. You can email us. We got an email. Maybe I'll pull that up real fast, yeah and read it. It's from someone who says they're a friend of yours. So I don't know what that means, but I don't have He says it's a friend of yours. His name is Paul and Alena. Oh, I know Paul Okay, great okay, And he says I'm a friend of Sam's. He's recently linked me to this podcast. I don't want to let you know that I'm loving it. I never got around the snagging the book, but thankfully you both have it and we'll be covering it cover to cover in audio form. I can't wait to tag along for this journey. Rest assured. I'll try to tune in it as often as possible. Thankfully, I'm getting in on the ground floor, so the entry isn't too steep at this point. Keep up the great work. So yeah, we kind of talk about the movies in the book and some other movies along the way. Yeah, So thanks Pop for that email.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if you don't have the book, honestly, like we're not getting paid for this, but you should own the book. I think if you're going to buy a book about horror movies like this is one of the good.
Speaker 1: Things, that's the one to get, and especially American regional horror films if that's you know, if you really want to get into that of the seventies and eighties, it's and if.
Speaker 2: You're from Pittsburgh. You should definitely get the book because it's very Pittsburgh heavy, like there's so many Pittsburgh movies in it, or like movies from this area, and it makes me have and I'm excited to get into some movies from.
Speaker 1: Your neck of the woods too, though I know we'll get there.
Speaker 2: We started. That was the first one we did together, was Martin.
Speaker 1: Marti gram Massacre was no gaging. Check that out on sam Spot.
Speaker 2: And that's what I knew we would be friends because You're like, I love this movie, and I'm like, oh, thank god, because everybody hates us, Like, I'm so happy to meet someone else that likes Marti Gram mascer.
Speaker 1: It's it's a great movie. We won't talk about it here, but check out that podcast on being this movie. It's a great time. I'm one. We're going a long we try to wrap this up, but any june'sploitation films that you watch that you just really have to recommend.
Speaker 2: Let me load up my list. How about that?
Speaker 1: I talked about Airport nineteen seventy five already. I watched Earthquake from my Disasters picking. I hated it. It's so boring, which is weird. Because they both have Charlton Hesson and George Kennedy and just one work for me and one did not. But they took away the full chy category. This year. I every year pleased by this. Yeah yeah, every year. On full Chew's birthday is June seventeenth, in honor of his birthday, they would have a fuller where they said people were complaining that they've run out of full chie films, which I mean, you got to get you got to get creative. You have not seen every full cheap, every film full cheap touched. You could watch something just produce. Yeah, there's his comedies, there's the one you know, Vinegar Syndrome, spinning Out, Lucio Fulcie presents films. Have you watched all of those? I don't know? Oh yeah, I mean there's still ones that I haven't seen. The one that the most popular one I had not seen was Conquest. So that's what I put as my Italian cinema pick, and I absolutely loved it. It was a five star banger.
Speaker 2: It's for me.
Speaker 1: I've never seen Conan the Barbarian. I tried to watch Beast Master. It bored me to death. I never even finished it.
Speaker 2: The personal attack.
Speaker 1: It shots fired, yea. But Conquest loved it, absolutely loved everything about it. It's foggy, isn't it It is It has like a like a vasolene, like let's just shoot it straight into the sun. But that's what makes it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. I also watched this.
Speaker 1: Go Ahead God oh no, because I was gonna talk about something else if you have some of Okay. The other movie I watched that I really like. It was called Scruffy, which for the cartoons category, and it's a ABC weekend special from the like from the early eighties, I think maybe nineteen eighty and it's all about a dog who is she's it's a puppy and it's very tragic and such tragic things happened to this dog. But it's just it shows so much about what the eighties was all about for kids.
Speaker 2: A rough watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, oh man, So what do you have?
Speaker 2: I see? I really liked Wedlock. That was my first one. A Lewis Tgue movie that makes no sense about Rucker Harran. Maybe rogers live inside a prison camp where they have things around their neck that'll blow their heads up, kind of like Running Man, but before Running Man and Joan Chen and James Riemar are like his old partners, and they're trying to find where he hit the gold. It doesn't make any sense. It's great Kung Fu Zombie, which I loved in nineteen eighty one Hong Kong film, knowing it was my disaster film from two thousand and nine. How did we let Alex Price keep making movies after knowing? And Gods of Egypt? This dude make Dark Dark City and The Crow, which are great. I don't know what happened after that. And I really liked Redneck with Franco Nero, Telly Savalasa and Mark Lester from from you know the one musical It's Crazy Oliver that's what he was in. Sugar Cookies was in the other one.
Speaker 1: I watched Uh and Lynn.
Speaker 2: Lowery won, but Lynn Lowry and Mary Warnoff, I mean, can the screen contained? No, they can't like And of course I bought the Blu Ray I liked it so much, and Diamond Ninja Force of course another Godfrey Hoe, Richard Harrison Joint Uh, and finally Uh, I was really just you know, work gets dia and life gets you. And I was really down one day and uh. For my free space, I watched Rolls Royce Baby Uh and I just rank a double feature and as soon as the Leader roommate came on the screen, I audibly saw it and just by it was like almost like a cleansing breath, and I was like, god, damn it. Later I was so happy. This is what happens when you get a good look in Vindigar syndrome version of a movie, You're like, this movie is something else. If I had watched it on like fifth generation dub would I feel the same way. But I feel it's art. Probably I'm just Franco idiot, you know. But loved it. So yeah, it was justification was a good month. I tried to do all first time watches.
Speaker 1: I'll watch about two thirds of it and I just I'll finish it up as the year goes along. But yeah, okay, well that's this is a long episode.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of asides and they're all staying in. So sorry, listeners, but thank you for making that.
Speaker 2: If you made it to this point, we should get to listeners. The secret word gets you into the Patreon. That's right. I remember before Adams Sam would just do a show that wanted for two hours. Now it's thirty minutes and it's all ads for like mattress companies, that's right, and meal kits and the sports gambling, sports gambling. We'd be like, hey, have you know and Adam, when I'm watching a drive in movie, I often feel like I'm not getting enough nutrition. That's why I go with form factor and that if you use special code Lynn Lowry fifty five, you'll get we're doing their work for him. I censor out the name of that company. They're not getting this ship for free. They're not getting this audience of people that are like I only like movies made before nineteen eighty five. That's a that's a demo.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yes, so join us. Next week we're going to talk about Deathbed and I hope I like it. I think I will. I'm sure I will. I'm sure we'll talk to y'all later.
Speaker 2: I've got another if you'd like let us. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to get out right here.