Speaker 1: Oh, go gon it winning my coffee. Oh, Sammy Hagar, it's trying to put He's trying to put my headphones on and one of them went right in my coffee.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do this, but I know you probably know some stupid story of why this song is called I can't Drive fifty five? Can you say it? In like twenty seconds?
Speaker 1: And he had multiple speeding tickets. That's it, that's it, and that's the whole story, the very last one he got. He wrote this song. I forgot how fast he was going. But he recently started looking for the cop that actually wrote him that ticket that inspired this song. Because you want to take care of him.
Speaker 2: We got to figure out how you make money being a doppelganger of Sammy Hagar. I gotta tell you it's until the point, did he sues you?
Speaker 1: Well, No, the guy that runs his place wobble. As soon as I walk out, he walks up and greets me. Yeah, but we've stocked as soon as I get off the plane in Mexico. So I look like a seventy something here.
Speaker 2: Old man Gus Allen never has a break and that's why he's working with us today. Gus how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, you are?
Speaker 2: Mario joins Mario?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 4: Mario?
Speaker 1: What's up? Guys? How y'all doing doing good? I want to hit the podcast? What's the podcast?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, you have a podcast?
Speaker 1: What's next? Podcast?
Speaker 2: What's next?
Speaker 1: What's next? Podcast?
Speaker 5: That's what it's called to have, like I basically the interview, you know, successful people within their craft.
Speaker 1: Well we will, we asked, you said, successful, you can set it up.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're right. I guess we're out, all right. How what kind of car do you drive?
Speaker 1: I drive a Toyota Corolla?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Uh, you've ad used or new new new how long ago?
Speaker 1: Years ago?
Speaker 2: Okay, so they'll run forever. So okay, new new Corolla. Let's say three years ago it was twenty five ish.
Speaker 1: I've got higher than that, yes, twenty five ish, twenty five? Really?
Speaker 2: Okay, Mario, smart guy. What is the average price of a new car? February twentieth, twenty twenty five?
Speaker 5: Average price? I'm gonna say twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Okay. I went in on, I went, I went, I went in eight, I went on.
Speaker 2: This Marios twenty seven, twenty eight, dwight.
Speaker 1: I'm going thirty five, going thirty five. You want a piece of this?
Speaker 2: Want a piece of that?
Speaker 3: Thirty one?
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody five bucks, and everybody buck up five bucks.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Now, just make it interesting.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Let me count it out here.
Speaker 3: That's not a real dollar.
Speaker 2: Give me the real dollar.
Speaker 1: Extual money off me.
Speaker 2: But if you printed fake dollars, it's like a felony.
Speaker 1: But I said, I'm good for it when on Friday, when we get paid tomorrow, when we're Southern cover hot time. Okay, so I'm in.
Speaker 2: All of you are wrong. The average price of a new car, not even in a truck or an suv. The average price of a new car is forty seven thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: All right, but prices right rules. I got closest without going over, So I win.
Speaker 6: Were you?
Speaker 2: Were you? What?
Speaker 1: No? I was closest with it? I said, thirty five?
Speaker 2: So what did you see?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 3: I said thirty one? Okay, give me their five dollars. Okay, so let's wrap our brains around. Oh, let's wrap our brains around what this number signifies. Right, So if it's the average price is forty seven thousand dollars, that means there's equal amount of numbers above it as there is below it. So we are at fifty thousand dollars for a new car on an average price.
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: My channel?
Speaker 2: Ford?
Speaker 1: That my house? I paid fifty nine to nine for it?
Speaker 2: Your first house, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 1: It's not hundred square feet, but still is a house with a basement.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, I don't think I purchased a new car. It's it's just I don't nineteen ninety three. I bought it nineteen ninety three, remember my Mitchellbishi Eclipse.
Speaker 1: Yes I do.
Speaker 2: Why do you say it like that?
Speaker 1: Why did you?
Speaker 2: Why did you say it like that?
Speaker 1: A stupid looking car for a stupid looking person.
Speaker 2: You hated it because chicks dug it?
Speaker 1: No they didn't. They dug the free concert tickets you could get them.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Hey, ask you question. How would you like to go see the pearl Jams? I work at qm F.
Speaker 2: Thank you bad. Don't even Netty Gus, you drive old old cars. VE paid for old cars, that's right, Jennings Gus. And he's got some weird man.
Speaker 3: He's still got the one, the same one he's had for three.
Speaker 1: Hundred thousand miles. Dam Jennings is the king of old cars. Three hundred grand he's got on that ford Mario.
Speaker 2: This is the advice I give you you're starting out in life, take a hang out with people that that they're they they're like Dave Jennings, I have a car with three hundred thousand miles on. If you look at the if you're standing over because you're gonna meet a neighborhood at some point, you're canna be standing over a lawnmoar, and the guy's gonna go sixteen years right here, still tickets, still going. That's the guys you want to hang out with. You don't want to hang out with families that are trying to keep up with the Jones. Now there are some new cars that you can get. Superaru, by the way, Subarus, eh, superrooth We all know Superoo drivers. Of course they're Democrats, they're liberals.
Speaker 1: They're women. The women doesn't they don't shave their armpits.
Speaker 2: No, that's true. I think they might be a little stinky.
Speaker 1: No, because I had a friend. I had a friend that worked in a Superaroo dealership and he said when a lady would come in, they would make them this requirement raise your arms if they shaved their arm pits, they're no deal, lady. We don't want you representing our product.
Speaker 2: But doesn't the Superaru commercials make you feel bad that you're not doing enough in your life? THEO is always going through this mountainous tree place and they're having coffee in the back of it.
Speaker 3: They have dogs.
Speaker 2: They have dogs too there, they have dogs.
Speaker 1: They got a campfire and they got like the old timey coffee pot on there, and the city is I see them like, I bet that coffee tastes like does the Coexist?
Speaker 2: Does the co Exist bumper sticker come with the supertandard?
Speaker 1: No, that's a good one. It is standard standard, it's standard. It's standard.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, So that is twenty five thousand dollars. The Sumeru Legacy is twenty five grand. That's not bad. That's a great price for a new car. Now, I didn't know, call me crazy crazy. Buick is still making cars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then like top of the line, really like top of the line right in terms of performance the top are you serious?
Speaker 2: Buick and Vista a Buick and Vista, which I don't know. I guess that's their lower level. It's twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It looked pretty good.
Speaker 1: There was a time where I look at for like at two decades, For like two decades, I thought Buicks went away. Did they go away for a while and then come back? And all they've always been around is that GM. Yes, Buick Regal first my first cars nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the super Bowl, in the Super Bowl halftime show, that was a Buwick Grand Name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a grand nameewn Stones they really yeah, but those sought after car, yeah, but those things are worth are like one hundred grand man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they had a Grand National gn X that had two turbos.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm looking at a Buick Envision Vision Sport Touring four wool drive. It looks like a Mercedes. It's bad ass. It's badass. It looks badass. Okay, So Buick and Vista twenty five thousand, a Kia Soul twenty two thousand, Sols twenty two thousand. By the way, we started screaming and yelling with Dave's number, how many miles you have on your You have some weird cars too? Do you not have some?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 3: What's the most I got? Well, I don't have anything with a lot of mileage on it. Now, the Civic has one hundred and sixty, one hundred and sixty, one hundred and seventy. Now I had a Civic with three hundred and ten before some guy came across my yard and destroyed it.
Speaker 2: What did your kid? Would you buy your kid for his first car?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: The Civic?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: You know for the insurance because the insurance would have been cheap. Oh yeah, yeah, my mom and I had nothing but troubles with it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, my mom's Vet has like two hundred and fifty on it. What my mom's Vet?
Speaker 2: Corvette?
Speaker 1: No chavette Oh, chavette. Yeah, it was a good one.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Toyota Corolla twenty two thousand. That's a hell of a buy for a Corolla. That's a great deal. So but I think the shocking thing here is because I was looking at f one fifties because Marty and I were friends and Harris Ford seventy five thousand dollars. I was seeing a lot of the fort f one fifties and I was like seventy five and that wasn't even the that's like the middle of the road.
Speaker 1: Guy, But that does come with air conditioning. I heard that all cars.
Speaker 2: I heard that they didn't.
Speaker 1: Usually they had like the little window flaps like a triangle, and you would point that towards you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we haven't been on dates in a while, right, speak for yourself. Okay, but I bet Mario he's probably been dating for a while. But he's the youngest in the group.
Speaker 1: I am the youngest.
Speaker 2: Gus, when's the last time you're on a date? What year?
Speaker 1: Yes? What year that was? Boy?
Speaker 3: When I was.
Speaker 2: Was it this century? Was it this century?
Speaker 3: You're talking about?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, yeah? Your last date?
Speaker 1: What's your pickup line? Mario? You got a pickup line? I don't have a Okay, let me give you one.
Speaker 2: He's really good looking.
Speaker 1: You need to do. First thing, and especially if they're super hot, is make them hit their self esteem. For example, you say, hey, you're pretty attractive for a chubby girl.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: What do you say? What you say?
Speaker 2: Don't stop talking. These are tiny little signs on your date that they're into you. Okay, all right, So I heard this from a cia age at once, and this is true. They will mirror your body language. So if you kind of rub your ear or grab your ear a couple of times, or touch your nose a couple of times, or you'd shift in your chair a couple of times. They'll do the same if they're into you. So the CIA agent told me once, he said, if I'm in someplace that I want to know who's following me, I'll sit, he goes, and I'll look at my watch twice in a row, he goes, because almost instinctively, the person following you will check their watch too, if they're watching you.
Speaker 1: Dad used to talk about. Dad used to talk about that, and he also talked about yawning, yawning. Yeah, yeah, and you scan the crowd?
Speaker 2: Did He never shared any of these I had special Forces.
Speaker 1: That's no idea. We special Force wasn't around it. He was intelligence.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was before special forces. Your dad was special force. It was intelligence, right, correct? And then went into CIA. How did you have?
Speaker 1: I you imagine the disappointment.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't disappointment. Seriously.
Speaker 1: Uh, My dad used to dare me to do stuff. Hey, but you can't jump off that building? What else? Tony? Uh?
Speaker 2: They blush a little bit, they blush a little bit, so they they they uh, their palms are a little sweaty. They're nervous. You know, when you make somebody nervous, they like you, right, I guess, Yeah, you've never experienced this because everyone you've dated has been drunk.
Speaker 1: Right. Let's hope my wife never sobers up.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: This one is weird that their pupils dilate.
Speaker 1: Well, that's from the weed. That's from what I put. That's from what I put in their drink.
Speaker 3: You get up close to their eyes and go, hey.
Speaker 1: That's why I put the drink, and I checked their eyes. I'm like, yes, she's just about ready.
Speaker 2: If they reach over. There's another one. They make physical contacts if they touch your.
Speaker 1: Hand and touch you.
Speaker 2: Yes, if they touch you.
Speaker 1: Right, every time I talk to your wife, she's like grabbing my shoulder and doing stuff like this. Yeah every time.
Speaker 2: Yes. The other one is for girls is the hair flip. If they do the little If they do the little hair flip thing, they're into you.
Speaker 1: Man. Every woman I have a conversation with exhibits this behavior. That's all. That's all I know.
Speaker 2: Fight or flight, I think your situation. But guse you didn't make you didn't answer the question when was the last time you were on a date that isn't your wife?
Speaker 3: That would have been twenty plus years ago. Yeah, so no, twenty three maybe.
Speaker 1: What's out to me like your do twenty three years? Yeah, it's about time.
Speaker 3: Hey, honey, guess what tonight?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: Hey do you think that that? Do you think that girl says he was the one that got away?
Speaker 3: Of course she does. It's my boy, it's my boy hearing it right now?
Speaker 2: Go on, I love it.
Speaker 1: There you go go, I love it. I love it all.
Speaker 3: As mister big plays or something.
Speaker 2: You know. Oh my gosh, last thing, Mario before we let you go. You live in Lexington, So you what do you like? You've been visiting Louisville. How much time do you spend in louis What do you like the difference between Louisville and Lexington? What do you what do you think is the difference? Because you're not from Kentucky, so I think this is.
Speaker 5: Louisville's a lot more diverse and a lot bigger than Lexington. Area is a lot bigger, a lot more to do in Louisville compared to Lexington.
Speaker 1: And I would say.
Speaker 5: There's not just one of like, like, it's not just like Lexington you got to Walmarts.
Speaker 1: You got two targets, right, you know, Louisville. It's like you have so many different options. We got huge.
Speaker 2: No, he's right, I mean it's it's Middletown is huge, Jay Town is huge, Fern Creek is huge. I mean it, and we forget the numbers that we're dealing with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's bigger, better though.
Speaker 2: Do you think you can No one's listening over at the other station.
Speaker 1: Put me on the spot. My mom listens, and that's about it.
Speaker 2: You're from Long Island, New York. Do you think that obsession with Kentucky basketball is healthy or unhealthy? Sometimes for people that live in Lexing healthy?
Speaker 5: Healthy, healthy, It wouldn't be Kentucky without the uside, right right.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, good answer, he answered quick too. He did not him in hall. No, No, healthy, healthy, hell healthy, he answered quickly, and confidently. We weren't gonna tell me a lot of confidence there. Uh Mario again, your podcast is.
Speaker 1: Yes, What's next podcast?
Speaker 2: It's thatt on iHeart, It's.
Speaker 1: On iHeart, It's on everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Apple, Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
Speaker 1: You do one episode a week? What do you have what?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What's what's your frequency on that?
Speaker 5: Technically we used to do one a week, but we were kind of slowing it down a little bit.
Speaker 1: We're like two a month right now. Is it still fun or is it? Because sometimes stuff like that starts out it's fun, it gets a little bit of a burden just the time.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to balance the time with doing you know, I heart stuff and then having to do that my stuff on the side.
Speaker 2: Well, we enjoy you.
Speaker 1: With us, man, what do we will look forward to?
Speaker 2: What do you got for me?
Speaker 1: Gus?
Speaker 2: What was it I forgot? Elan and Eland? Uh five is the phone number. Give them a call if you want to sell your house for one percent commission rate. There's no haggling, there's no negotiation. It's already one percent. It's set, all right. My neighbor just put his house for sale, Eatling and England signed in the art. It's right on the corner there. Go buy that house because it's steal. I'm telling you keep the equity in your home. You earned it and you're gonna need it if you're going someplace else. All right, So one percent commission rate, that's the deal. They've been doing it for six seven years and they're the best half of all the one percent deals broken last year in Louisville were with Etland and Eland. There's specially their specialty is that keep the money in your pocket. Go with Edland and Edland five nine hundred.
Speaker 1: Go on to social media, Allison Lobdell says, hey, now you have two listeners. I'm listening to you and listen every day. Then she goes on and says, you're way sexier than Tony. That's much better look and then she set up picture.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's not what it says. Back after this news radio eight forty, don't set it would rise. Dwight disappears sometimes go to the bathroom is prostate is huge, so it takes a while for him to go to the bathroom. Gust, did you knew you heard that I got my toilet right?
Speaker 3: Yes, I heard something spectacular about this toilet.
Speaker 2: It's the Totos something. It's the Toto Aqua four. It is the Star Trek Star Wars of toilets.
Speaker 3: Does it go with the sixteen thousands dollars?
Speaker 2: I'm not getting the sixteen thousand dollars Italian stove?
Speaker 3: What a combination. Could you pair the oven and the toilet together, that would be That would be while you said on the toilet, you're cooking on the oven.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this is a good point. The toilet is the equivalent of the sixteen thousand dollars Italian stove from Bargain Supply. This thing is like a spaceship. It has sensors on it, lights. It's so amazing. So I had it installed. It's been two days and life has changed for me.
Speaker 1: It's such a beautiful toilet. But I'm gonna come over and sit on it and run it for you. No, no, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Beautiful You're not allowed anywhere near my special special Did the toilet cost? It is from BK Plumbing. It's not cheap.
Speaker 3: I always say when something is expensive like that. Yes, I have a I have a saying, and boy does it apply in this one? Will it wipe your butt for you?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely it does? And then it styles and it's so worth it. It doesn't just have heated water for a bidet. It has a hair dryer installed and also so and then comes it cleans you. You hit the other button and then a little flat goes and he goes in the bowl and it drives your butt.
Speaker 3: To go to look at your co host. Yes, go over there and put some tape on his mouth because I can see something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't see him, but I can.
Speaker 3: See you know.
Speaker 1: It comes with a tiny little hair brush and little Tony when the hair is going and goes, hey, look at me, I'm styling.
Speaker 3: By the way, what I thought was gonna come out. So, by the way, by the way.
Speaker 2: So the so the beidat water is heated, and then the hair dryer thing that drives your butt after it cleans you. That's that's heated also, and the seat gets warmer as you're sitting on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what we're talking about as NASA technology is.
Speaker 2: So when I walk in, So if you go to the bathroom at two in the morning, you walk into the bathroom, the lids its senses that you've walked in the room, and the lid comes up, and then the blue light that disinfects everything.
Speaker 1: How about that blue.
Speaker 2: Light comes on to the bowl and it sprints is a little water on the bowl just to spritz and disinfect and then when you flush, the lid goes back and you go back to your bed. Okay, what if you okay, BK plumbing dot com.
Speaker 1: Let me give you a hypothetical that has nothing to do with me. What if you're a fifty seven year old guy with a bad processate and it takes you forever to pee because you sound like you're sending morse code.
Speaker 2: Right, well, wait on me, yeah, an wait the person, It'll wait, It'll wait for you. Okay, it'll wait for you. It is. It's it's a game changer.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It is a game changer. So Southern Comfort Hotel, we're gonna be there tomorrow. Did you or did you not get a I Love the nug T shirt to give away for tomorrow. He is currently eating his lunch, so he's trying to chuck. I'm just right for you to show you have T shirts for Southern Covered Hot Tubs tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We don't, But Golden Nugget, let me ask you real quick, Golden Nugget, if you if you're willing to give me some, goat some I love the nug T shirts. We want to give them a way tomorrow. Come on by Southern Covered Hot Tub. You're gonna love listen to this. A vacation right there, in your own backyard. It's way my wife and I in just about every single day. It's the perfect way. You talk about relaxing and sleeping like a rock. Get in this southern covered hot tub, enjoy the jets, enjoy that massage. Plus, it's the perfect way to reconnect with the one you love. It's just you and the one you love. No tablets, no cell phones, no televisions, a vacation right there in your own backyard. You're probably thinking, I can't afford a hot tub. Think again, how about this hot tubs as low as sixty five dollars a month? You heard me right, sixty five dollars a month, over one hundred and fifty tubs to choose from, and twelve months same as cash. Come by tomorrow and take advantage of some of the tax.
Speaker 2: You know, I got some doughnuts and where to bring tomorrow to. I thought this. Everyone knew this. Uh, at least we all anticipated this announcement. I thought it was already made. But the Associated Press is now reporting you'll hear it in the news here in two minutes. But the Associated Press is reporting Mitch McConnell, the longest serving member of the Senate won't seek re election. I thought that was why not. I thought that was why not. I thought that was common sense. But apparently now he's made it officials. So whatever for Thank you for your service, sir. Back after this on news radio eight forty WHS hear this song. It's Jenny Mellencamp.
Speaker 1: This is what I used, John Camp, Cougar Millen. This is the song I used to perform when I was in gymnastics.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, you did for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is called a back handspring. You ready, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Don't do that, don't come on help me? Come on, No, stay down there, stay down, stay down. Welcome back News Radio eight forty w h as. We got Greg and Jill in. We're talking gymnastics now, and this isn't just some run of the mill gymnastic event that's happening this weekend. You all in city of Louisville, southern indianaut Well, how many states does the station get you in the middle of the day, like twenty? Come on down Louisville, because at the Kentucky States has stood up. Okay, so we're talking about the convention center. She got plenty of room it's gonna be a lot of fun downtown. Jill, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 7: I'm Jill. My name is Jill gear.
Speaker 4: I am the chief Communications and Marketing officer for USA Gymnastics.
Speaker 2: USA Gymnastics. That sounds important, and.
Speaker 1: You know what you're doing. You've been to seven Olympic Games, not all gym Are you serious?
Speaker 7: Seven?
Speaker 1: Seven?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: I started in the Olympic movement in track and field. Actually I started with NBC in Atlanta in nineteen ninety six. I am very old, so yeah. So Paris was my seventh Olympics and it was my first with gymnastics, and it was fantom.
Speaker 2: You've probably been this a million times. Which one was the best?
Speaker 7: You know, it's got to be. I think Paris.
Speaker 4: It's between London and Paris, but I think Paris took it because it really the Olympics and really the world had been really shut down for several years. Yeah, so it was like the reopening. They re enlivened the Olympics with.
Speaker 1: The Coca Cola Museum and the brave Oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, people driving their own buses.
Speaker 7: That was nuts.
Speaker 4: I was working for NBC and like the drivers were quitting. The fans were getting in recks take everywhere.
Speaker 2: All the buses were getting to the driver's seat and driving the bus. But the highlight was Ali. Yes, and in the torch.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Actually I was.
Speaker 4: A spotter for NBC. So I was on the track during the opening ceremonies and I was sitting at the base of the torch while Muhammad Ali Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is that the world.
Speaker 7: I was wearing a headset just like this one to sweating, like, oh.
Speaker 2: How were you?
Speaker 7: I was twenty six.
Speaker 2: That watch from here it's really yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah he used that was the Olympics that had the bombing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that poor guy that got to explain for that. It was It was not his fault.
Speaker 7: It was wild.
Speaker 4: And I was actually working as a sports writer actually at the time, for a place in Arkansas, and I got a call from my editor like in the middle of the night, like, yeah, called me up.
Speaker 7: His name is Dudley. Dustin's like hey, it's Dudley. I'm like Dadley Likedley just making sure everything's okay. I'm like everything, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Before the internet?
Speaker 7: Yeah right, ye.
Speaker 1: So during the Olympic Games, how accessible are the athletes. I got to think they're kept under wraps like the Well, okay.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's an important question because after after certain events in before you know, after seventy two, it probably changed because of Munich, right, and then obviously after nine to eleven, uh and all that. So again, I'm sure the security is crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, it's evolved, and it's also evolved since COVID as well, so from on up. But athletes primarily stay in the Olympic village, and who can access the village is really locked down. It is members of the team delegation. I can't even get into the village without a special pass because I don't stay in the village. So it's really intended to keep the athletes focused and kind of away from the public because it can get pretty nuts, even smowing Biles like she's a superstar within the Olympic village, so she has to like get her alone time there.
Speaker 2: Well, she's an icon, so it's not outside of gymnastics, she's still the rand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but most people, most in most sports, they're adults. Gymnastics not so much. You start out young, okay, And.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So the intensity so you're in USA Gymnastics. Okay, I'm fascinated by this because of the dedication that these families put together to get to where you're talking about this weekend at louisvill Kentucky. So just to get to Louisa, Kentucky and have this winter event, right, I mean, the journey that goes on with these families, it's intense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gymnastics is not a sport that you just kind of roll up and play on the weekend.
Speaker 7: It is definitely a dedication.
Speaker 4: And so the athletes who will be here at Winter Cup go to Wintercup dot Com.
Speaker 7: By the way, get tickets.
Speaker 2: Winter Cup dot Com. Get tickets.
Speaker 4: Yes, the elite athletes here usually start gymnastics at about the age of four or five. Wow, And they become elites anytime really between the ages of like fifteen, sixteen, seventeen. But what we've seen the last several years, with both women and men, is the athletes are getting older. And there's lots of reasons for that because now athletes know how to train smarter and not harder.
Speaker 7: It extends their careers.
Speaker 4: You can go to college, you can take a little break, and so it's definitely changed.
Speaker 7: It used to be. The team for the women's team were largely in their teams, right. Our team in Paris was there babies.
Speaker 4: It was the oldest team we've had since the fifties really, so yeah, the team was all in their twenties except for Heslie Rivera.
Speaker 7: Who will be here.
Speaker 2: She'll be here this weekend.
Speaker 4: She was sixteen. She was the youngest member of the Olympic team for any sport.
Speaker 1: Gold.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she's gold medalist, so she'll be here.
Speaker 1: Gymnastics it's such a beautiful sport, but it's a quite dangerous sport if you ask me, because on some of these things, scary stuff, game's off broken neck, right, Well.
Speaker 7: It is a beautiful sport. It's extremely powerful, is right.
Speaker 4: The Americans do a really strong style of gymnastics, and the reality is that.
Speaker 2: The Americans are aggressive, shocker.
Speaker 7: Right, It's what we do well.
Speaker 4: But the athletes are so well trained and certainly the sport it is very technical, and so because they've trained repetitions over and over and over again, it's as safe as it can possibly be.
Speaker 7: But yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: There is an an inherent danger. But that's why you have spotters, that's why you have certain standards.
Speaker 1: You know what I think I would be just a natural ad is the no dancing with the ribbon thing, you know that thing with.
Speaker 2: But it also has to be galactically frustrated. Again, big huge winner event for gymnastics here at the Convention Center downtown this weekend. Again. The website to get tickets.
Speaker 7: Is Winter Cup dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, we follow. My son was a wrestler. Dwight was a wrestler in high schools. You know. To me, it's the fairest way. Wrestle off on Wednesdays, you know, so you you get a wrestle off. If you win, you're the starter on Saturday. Gymnastics a little different. So it is very objective or subjective whatever you want to describe how the judging has done. It's been the biggest criticism of gymnastics since day one? Correct, have they been able to improve that? For guys that are outside looking in like we are.
Speaker 4: Scoring has changed. For instance, when I grew up, you're all talking about a perfect ten. Yes, so a perfect ten no longer really exists. Because there are two components to the score. One is execution and the other is difficulty. So the difficulty score is baked in so Let's say you're going to do a your chenko double pike right, also known as the biles. Yes, that has a dscore of six point eight, so you're starting.
Speaker 2: With six point eight.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: Your execution score, which is the more subjective part, is based on that ten point scale.
Speaker 7: But even there they are very specific pointers.
Speaker 4: Some people are even talking about getting AI judging to help make it important impartial. So the sport has done more and more to try to try to take out the subjectivity. But it is artistic. Gymnastics is actually what it's called, and so artistry will always have a subject development as well, and it's more so with the women than the men, which because the women do more dancing. And for instance, toe point is a thing. If your toe is not pointed right, you will get a deduction.
Speaker 1: It just takes it left and goes off across the other toes.
Speaker 2: She used to catch fish with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if my wife had wings, she could snatch a trout out of you know.
Speaker 2: But but gymnastics is I mean, I think is as popular it's ever been, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is amazing to come into the sport of gymnastics. I had worked in track and field for almost twenty years and the sport of gymnastics is a much smaller sport, but the reach in terms of pop culture is amazing. So when we were at team qualifying, this isn't even the finals. We're talking about the qualifying. As we're waiting for the competition to start, we had our photographer with their telephotal lens. It's like, oh, there's Tom Cruise. Oh there's you know, Ariana Grande. It was like it was like a heavyweight title bout because these celebrities were tripping over themselves to get to the event to be seen. Do you have their picture taken? So it's it's great. My neighbors, the little girls, they're like, oh, you work for gymnastics, you must be really important. I'm like, yeah, you know, you can come over anytime.
Speaker 1: And Tom Cruise is not only a great actor, he's also a scientist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, is there a support group for post gymnastics, like you gotta there's gotta be some physical Hey, you play football, you got problems the rest of your life. I mean, if you played for a long time physically, you probably are worn down. I mean, I guess you go into coaching or not coaching or you know whatever. But there is a support group for gymnastics, older gymnasts, right you would think so.
Speaker 4: They might have a de facto support I will say gymnasts are tend to be very smart. They are literally former gymnasts who are rocket scientists. Yea that I worked with someone men's gymnastics program. But some go into coaching, some go into commentary, some go into like I said, rocket science. We have doctors, lawyers, so there is definitely a bright future post gymnastics.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the reason that it produces a lot of people that are smart is because of the discipline and the dedication because you need that in gymnastics like no other sport. If you ask me, so, they apply that same discipline everything else.
Speaker 7: You nailed it.
Speaker 4: It is very well like self disciplined, highly focused, high achiever athletes.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine are they I can't imagine it being much fun though they are. They are super funk.
Speaker 4: Our men's team, Stephen, Stephen better ask the palm horse guy.
Speaker 7: I refer to the men's team as a pack of puppies.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 7: They are the strongest there. They are the story team just in the world.
Speaker 4: But man, they are just like any team, they celebrate each other, and so it's I.
Speaker 2: Don't even some of the things they do. You're just like, how do you how do you do that? How do you even do that?
Speaker 6: Let's talk this second on the difference in seeing it live. For me, there's been a couple of, you know, seminal moments. And you know, I get to go to a lot of sporting events as president of the Sports Commission and and work with a lot of great organizations, and I've been to a just terrific events, and I will tell you that there's been a couple of moments in my career that really just open your eyes.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I'll start with volleyball, because volleyball for this community is so huge, and so when you sit on the floor close to a Division one volleyball national championships and you see the athleticism of those young ladies and how hard they hit the ball, it changes your correct your view of what that sport is. I will tell you that gymnastics is just like that. So you know, the idea that people love gymnastics and they watch it and they can't wait for the Olympics to come every four years. This is an opportunity for you to come right now. You know we're we're the beginning of a new quad to the LA Games and this event you're gonna have these elite gymnasts. And I will tell you when you sit in those stands at at the convention center and you watch these young ladies on the floor exercise and you see how hiw they actually jump off of the floor. When you see them on that balance beam, it's just mind.
Speaker 2: So I walk in the convention center. Help, what's the floor set up? Just like in the normal like I say on TV. So you have the Pammel horse over here. That whatever, right, So then I'm going to have a program.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very similar to the Olympic floor as it's laid out right. So men have six apparatus swim and have four Okay, So here in Louisville on Friday, the men'll be competing. So men Friday night, women on Saturday, and then men again on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Awesome, yeah, awesome, Okay, So well, thanks for coming Louisville and bringing this to Louisville. We're excited about it. You have a fascinating story. I like to have you back on just to talk about what you've seen over something years.
Speaker 7: I gotta write some books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like a lot.
Speaker 2: Of She looks like a lot of funs.
Speaker 1: You look like a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: She's just smiling now he's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, you're not wrong, Greg Man. Anytime you need anything, you know where to find this Louisville Sports Commission. You guys are the best.
Speaker 3: Thanks, appreciate you having Jill.
Speaker 2: Good luck this weekend? One more time? How do you get tickets.
Speaker 7: Winter Cup dot com?
Speaker 1: Listen? It's it's no big sacred that the go to meal for all of these athletes. Just ask them is Barone's pizza. That's true, they say minutes before they perform to get in their best mode what they eat. Listen, You're gonna love Louisville style pizza. The pizza the constantly gives back to Louisville, Southern Indiana surrounding areas. And if you don't like pizza, what's the matter with you? Who don't like pizza? But they have other menu items, wings, sandwiches, salads, austa. You'll be amazed at the extensive menu at Barno's Pizza dining, carry out or delivery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that good back after this on news radio eight forty WHS