Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to game Est Mornings with Me Jeff Grab your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about what happened at that Nintendo direct. It's gonna be a good one because we have Lex Ludi on the show. Lexi, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: You know, gub I think that your co workers have left you high and dry this week. It's really unfair. And did you see those fucking jokers over on kind of funny yesday? Did you see those marks, those absolute marks wearing their own merchandise together, Miller, Mike Minati. They go they go to the concert wearing the band shirt.
Speaker 1: It's like and they're the band. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unbelievable, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: They could at least get a shirt exchange, right, you wear my shirt, I wear your shirt.
Speaker 2: But no, they'll be like, it'll be like a sports game, you know, at the end they're like a good game and they trade shirts. But no, No, it was my birthday yesterday, Happy birthday. Nintendo decided to celebrate by giving me a direct with just things that only I'm in, Yes, no one else.
Speaker 1: The Lex Luody Direct Yeah, there was quite a few things in there for you. I enjoyed the director overall as well. My expectation, Lexi, is that overall the reception on that is going to be chilly. Yeah, cool luke maybe just luke warm even But hey, I liked a lot of those games in there, and I'm still playing Donkey Kong, so I'm still very happy with my switch to This is how it goes. Sometimes sometimes you get directs that don't have a lot of stuff in there for you, and I think the problem is the hype for this direct, as usual, got pretty out of hand, and then when it was announced to be a partner direct, that was the first little bit of oh no, this is not going to have the stuff I need. I've definitely been out there being like, I want the Metroid Prime for release date, But as soon as it was a partner director, knew that wasn't gonna happen. And now it's like, okay, if they don't have that until a September direct, which in all honesty doesn't It doesn't necessarily have to be super far away. Right We're talking five to five to eight weeks for something like that, right, Is that? Is that correct? On time. Uh, Septembers after August. That's still how it goes, so uh that doesn't seem too out of the ram of possibility. And then there's always the Nintendo Today at but we'll talk about all that. What'd you do for your birthday? I'm sure you're like, look, you're You're one of the youngest hippus people I know, so I'm sure you were partying, mingling with the supermodels and drug dealers. So what you end up doing?
Speaker 2: I mainly stay it at home and just played Tears of the Kingdom all day, which was pretty good because I'm finally beating that game.
Speaker 1: That's not true. You some art, right, didn't you do some artwork?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah? I played Mario Paint. I turned into I've spent too much time around fucking millennials, and it's gloving off on the to the point that I'm like, oh, Mario Paint, this is pretty good. I'm celebrating. On Saturday, Rewinder the website thought I've won. We We're doing a live stream on Saturday at five pm BST nine am PST, which is we wind up present Super Mario Party, Jamboline, Nintendo Switch to Edition plus Jambolee TV and also Lexi Party starring Lex Scott and Henry Patreon, Sabathon.
Speaker 1: Fun Times everyone. I don't know why we're on YouTube this time. I made it live and I did switcher from it was unlisted to public, but it's public now, so I don't know why it's not popping up. Yep, not much I could do about that, And everyone who can help me fucking fucking not here. They're not doing their job. So what am I supposed to do? I'm looking at this. It should be working. There's seven people watching. How are those seven people watching? How are they able to get in there? I think probably from the playlist or something. I don't know. I've done what I can. Usually this fixes it, but not today. That's that's just a good time, Lexi. You know, I think what we should do is probably just get on with the show so I can stop thinking about all the ways that I am failing this website and failing my fellow gamers.
Speaker 2: The good news is web once you're done here, it's not like you have any more shows or podcasts today.
Speaker 1: So it's a long day. It's a long day, everybody. But let's settle in. Let's make it happen. All right, let's explain ourselves. We're Giant Bomb. We make a lot of fun stuff, and by we, I mean just me. And if you want to help me do that stuff, go to giant bomb dot com slash join. You can become a premium member there, gets you bonuses, gets you ad free shows, gets you some extra goodies. But really what it does is enable us to make cool stuff. If you like what we do, it's the best way to support us. It goes a really long way. You become a monthly member there, and it's going to ensure that we can do the cool stuff like what we did for Summer game Fest. And we're planning maybe something along the lines of things that we've done in the past, akin to like a bomb, things along those lines, and we're looking forward to doing more and more of that. Uh. And we could do it because you all, I.
Speaker 2: Bomb yourpey in office, thought would definitely. You told me it's any day now, any day now, we're going to open it.
Speaker 1: Working on the permits right now. Yeah, I gotta get all lined up over there with the EU. Hope'll see what we can make happen. As far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase July thirty first full recap. This comes from Go Nintendo. So this was a Partner Direct. We have a bunch of games in year from partners. There was nothing really first party. The one closest thing to first party was a Zelda game made by so is that Techmo. It would be Coey Tecmo for their their Musso game that they're making the third one of those. But let's let's go through what was there. I still think it's worth recapping everything because a lot of these games are pretty interesting to me. That starts with Monster Hunter Stories three Twisted Reflection embark on a new adventure as a rider living in harmony with monsters. Blah blah blah. Games coming in twenty twenty six to Switch To. Have you played any of the other Stories games before.
Speaker 2: Only a little bit, But I had been looking at a bunch of months the Hunters Silies two running on a switch too, because that was one of the games that saw the biggest improvement just from the new from the Shia horsepower to Switch because I had run at a uncopped frame on Switch one and now it just once un locked sixty if you load up there, and so it looks really nice if you go play Mons Untsies two on switch To now, and I think it's on sale for like twenty bucks at the moment, so excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it looked really nice in this this direct where it's like, oh, yeah, that's a pretty looking game. And I didn't necessarily remember thinking that about Monster Hunter Stories before. I mean, it looked fine, but it differently didn't stun me. I thought this was relatively stunning. Then we had High Royle Warriors, Age of Imprisonment. This is going to be based on the timeline from you know, of Tiers of the Kingdom, like Zelda getting to sit into the past, hanging out with King Rauu the Goat and his human looking wife. You know, people can do with that what they need to. They also teased Link in a way by showing that that the robot. I guess it's a spoiler now at this point, maybe a little bit.
Speaker 2: So here's how you know it's not a spoiler. I was looking up God it's for stuff and Tears of the Kingdom, and I have this spoiled for me, so I'm like, okay, if it's in guides at this point, I think I think the there is no law anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's right exactly, Like this is just kind of the thing that people talk about. It's a thing you get in that game, and it's going to be in this game, and Link might be piloting in it, I guess. I mean, this is the way they're going to get Link in here. I bet they're going to get Link in there as just straight up link because nothing matters in a Musso game, so they'll just do that as well. But this seems to be one of the workarounds upfront, maybe to keep it canon a little bit. All right. Let's see here, EA Sports Madden NFL twenty six. This is coming August fourteenth, to switch to, I would pre order the Delexe edition before August seventh or two. Yeah, to get it seven days early. Okay, so yeah, you can get it seven days early on August seventh, So it's effectively the release date. Man, that's not that long from now. Madden is back on a Nintendo platform. There was never a Madden on Switch one, I believe, Yeah, there was. I think I would remember that, you know, but they used to put Madden's out on a lot of Nintendo devices before that. Maybe not that we use so much, but three DS got Maden, or at least DS did. EA has not been super hot on Nintendo platforms for a minute, and then I think that seeing this was like, okay, this still feels like EA testing the waters does not feel like EA going whole hog quite yet. What do you think happens from here? Do you think this game is going to do well enough that EA will be good? We'll say to themselves, yeah, we're back in on on Nintendo. Switch to.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because you look at it now and EA does actually have a pretty big presence on the switch to, like it has FIFA, it has Madden, and then it has It Takes Two and Apex Legends. Three of those are very kind of low effort or not low effort, but like low commitment ports because they already will on switch one. Apex Legends was also on switch one, and then It Takes Two is probably one of the few games where they were like, well, this definitely couldn't run on a switch one, but it came on our switch to and they probably looked at the sales of It Takes Two on on switch one and we're like, well, we got to get this over there. So so far they've all been very low risk, moneyball kind of ports, and I'm curious to see if at any point they're like, we're gonna bring mass effect Legendary Collection over there, because like that would be a great place to have the masscost legendary collection. But do they give a shit about that anymore? Is that enough of a money maker anymore? Because like you look at Hayes Light and stuff, that's the only EA original going anymore. The originals is just Hayese Light. Now it's Joseph just it's EA. Joseph's Yeah, because they had stuff like Unravel, and they had stuff like Lost and Random, and then that sequel to Lost and Random came out and I was published by Thunderful. So clearly EA kind of lost its appetite for its indie publishing label and now just keeps it around exclusively for the Joseph Hawers games that have kind of established themselves now as multimillion sellers. So yeah, it's it's a weird situation for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who knows how they do the math over there? Right, Like you talked about mass effect, but Chat's pointing out often on sale for five to ten dollars right now, but you put it on switch you can raise the price back up on switch To because people are going to buy it there. They must want it on that system. Treat it like a new release and you can do close to new release pricing at least thirty to four those hours.
Speaker 2: Ko shraw Ports always sold really well on switch They were always like in and around the best sellers and going on sales and stuff that. Weirdly enough, Code or two is still not playable on switch To. Yeah, yeah, one of the it's one of the games that is just like no, can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they said they would too, which was always a weird thing. In fact, I think they sold a bundle where it was eventually going to be released, and that was an odd, odd thing. But for EA, before we move on, I think it's gonna be tough because they if they are waiting to see the results of some of these other releases, it's like, oh, let's see how Apex Legends does and make our decisions from there. I just don't know if Apex Legends is the Nintendo switch to Audience's bag, and I think they might. They might have just been like, we're already playing Fortnite and we're good with that, we don't need another one.
Speaker 2: I remember there being news stories around the time of Apex's launched that it was like making surprising in roads in Japan, but that seemed to have fallen off quite drastically, so I'm curious if this kind of brings back around some of those laps players, especially in that region. But you know, those kind of multiplayer live service games on a switch to are always a weird proposition because ultimately, if someone wants to play those on the go, there is a mobile version of them already, and if you're looking to play a version of the game that is like fully featured, just gonna play the console or PC version. So it's like this weird in between between the convenience of a mobile phone and the actual power of a console or PC, and it just like, no matter which use case you use it in, you're like, well, I should just load this up on my PC, or you're like, well I could just be playing this on my phone. So unless Switch Too is your only console, it that version of that game doesn't make sense for a lot of gamers.
Speaker 1: Yep. And that's just kind of how I've heard it put to me is that games didn't make a lot of money on Switch one. Obviously, it ran like dog shit on Switch one, so that's gonna be a factor there. Maybe that suddenly solves it with Switch Too, but I don't know. I'm skeptical.
Speaker 2: I like that game honestly, going back to that game recently, I'm sure it's fine. It feels really fucking good. Those guns, the sound design is really fucking good, and every time you play them, you're like, man, what if we got a like traditional multiplayer shooter out of the studio.
Speaker 1: Imagine now they couldn't do that. That's possible, all right, let's see here. Next up is the Shadow Drop and maybe game of the year Chilling by the Fire. This is a It looks like a hangout game where you can build a fire and you can like physically set the logs on top of one another. You get the kinneling, you get the fuel, you get it all all going there, and then you can also bring in your friends and they can use game chat to have their face hovering next to the fire. You can literally sit around the fire and talk with your friends. It looks very goofy and silly, and it's definitely my kind of thing. It looks like it sports up to four players, which is funny because you're not really playing anything. But I guess it's a little bit of a game of trying to keep the fire going because it will have weather effects and you'll have to try to keep the fire going whether it starts to maybe rain a little bit, or if you're in the snow. So that's interesting. I'm gonna get this. Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: This reminded me of a story that I heard from a guy who was developing vir games in the early days of vire, Like just when Oculus was being kicked out here and stuff, and he was like, at that point in time, vir was the easiest thing to sell to investors in the world, and it was basically a money facet because you could give them a demo that was them in an empty room with a ball that bounces, and they'd be like, this is blowing my mind because there's just nothing quite like it. And this is kind of that thing of like, well, you could put this in front of an investor and there's cameras on the other people's faces and it does kind of look like one of those demos that they would show them for like early vire of just like you're gathered around a fireplace and you can see each other in this virtual realm, and all the investors go virtual realm, virtual realm, some sort of synergy. So like, yeah, this is dumb in a way, I can totally get behind yep.
Speaker 1: I like, it is there a way to like connect a like virtual camera to the switch to yet if they wouldn't figure that out, because I would love to do that. My PC is a virtual camera and be able to put whatever I want into the little camera feed. But I don't know, all right, let's keep going here. The Adventures of Elliott the Millennium Tales of brand new action RPG from the creators of Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. It's a HD two D action RPG, so you're going to be doing real time combat, run around, hitting people with swords. It's coming to twenty twenty six and it's gonna have an exclusive debut demo. I don't know if the game is going to be exclusive to switch To, although these games tend to come to switch To first, but it will have a demo that is available later today so people can try that out. I'm curious. What do you What do you make of this?
Speaker 2: The gameplay looked pretty interesting, but boy, that name reminds me of a Master System game that then got a sequel, too, Deades. It's Clay the Actions of Elliott. It was everyone's favorite game on like Old Confusions, and then they bought it back decades later and they're like, oh, this is the Dumdale's Avenges of Eli.
Speaker 1: Importantly, the game does take place in the mystical realm of Philip Bildia. Is that how you say it? Philip Beildia?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What a what a hell of the thing that is so like the the the names of the players in the in the Japanese baseball game, trying to adapt the American names or whatever and having like Ron Dungus or whatever the hell it was.
Speaker 2: It feels like that from the people who brought you various Day Life and Dungeon Encounters comes.
Speaker 1: I mean, the best at naming really. Yeah, Bobson, Doug Nutt, there we go chat Yeah, flip flip, Philip Bedelia. I it's gonna be hard for I think any American to play this game and not just laugh at that name every single time. It's absurd. That's not a criticism. I love it. More of your insane bullshit Square Knicks, please never stop being yourself. Uh just An's twenty twenty six edition. Yep, that's well.
Speaker 2: I do have to say, it's so funny that that got announced a not Final Fantasy nine vat make It's so funny it.
Speaker 1: Would rule because like with the Chance Star, we're gonna get a lot more just dances before any Final Fantasy nine anything happens. Ever, again, it seems like, uh oh, our poor friends out there that's gonna have apt by as it Rose and Bruno Mars. I guess I've never learned how to say her name. Houdini by Dua Lipa and Counting Stars by One Republic and Hang Up by Madonna. That's coming October fourteenth. Star Wars Outlaws looked pretty okay, looked you know, for my expectations, you get there are some of these third party games that look like, wow, that just looks right on switch to and then this one. I think my expectation was always like, they're probably gonna have to scale back a lot of stuff on here, and it looks scaled back, fuzzy image, not a high frame rate, but it does it doesn't look unacceptable. At the same time, it looks like a pretty okay well play.
Speaker 2: That It's not in the realm with the witcher three on switch one where you're like, well, this looks like dogshit, but it's also a miracle.
Speaker 1: It's runic exactly.
Speaker 2: It's well, yeah, it's like, this doesn't look like the best way to play this game. But also if I'm traveling and it's on the small screen and I'm on a plane, I doubt I'm going to care Yep, this is the way I'm going to play that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was. I was just holding my my Steam deck and my rag ally Am. I switched to it once yesterday because I was moving things around and it was like, oh, the switch to is significantly slimmer, significantly more comfortable to just carry around as an object, and it's okay. There's clearly a reason that if if the games are going to be pretty close on switch to, you'd still want to play them on there.
Speaker 2: I found recently that out of all of the consoles that I own now, when I think about anything that I own hard where, why is the one that I'm like, I look at and it fills me with the most joy is the Retroid Pocket. Oh yeah, yeah's just nice, especially with the g with the actual grip that they sell on their website that gives it a bit of waste. It just feels like a proper dedication handheld in a way that like the switch isn't Like I like the switch, but the flat back do does make it kind of hard for long, long like handheld periods, and so I might need to get like a switch glip or something because I have been finding that my hands are getting tired hold I'm getting old glub, I'm getting so old. My hands are getting tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happens. You gotta we all got we have to do our hand exercises. Everybody, get your little straps out and do the thing where you try to stretch your fingers out well with some resistance, it helps, or maybe it hurts your hands more. Who knows. Kronos the New Dawn it is from a Blueber team team did the Silent Held to remake. I think I think they're very happy now to be Blueber, the team that did Silent Hell to remake. That's gotta be nice to have that resume update for them over there.
Speaker 2: Other than being Bluebird, the team that did the Medium.
Speaker 1: A little bit better than that, that's coming September fifth to switch to as it's going to be everywhere, right, we saw that in other places before, but firm for switch to now September fifth, again not too short.
Speaker 2: I was saying, I'm washed. I'm not washed. Stop putting in the papers that I'm washed.
Speaker 1: Plants Versus Zombies replanted the classic Plants Versus Zombie's game is returning in HD. This is yeah, that's that's what I thought. This was like a remaster. This is out October twenty third. You could pre order it today. Dragon Ball Sparking zero, that is, I think that was getting They got some updates as well. I think it's coming November fourteenth. You could pre order it. Trying to see if there's anything here. You know. I thought Sparking zero was fun for what it was, but I knew what it was going to be, which was a thing I had fun with for a weekend and could put down. But I bet there are a lot of people on a switch to who will be very happy to see this game. Once Upon.
Speaker 2: Now they're saying that I'm unwashed. This is terrible.
Speaker 1: This is that's worse, That's way worse. Once Upon a Katamari, the King of all Cosmos is turning. This looked fantastic. This is a whole new Kateamari game, separate from the entirely new Katamari game that just came out on Apple Arcade a few months back. It is coming October twenty fourth. Once again, pre orders are available now. It looked looked good, looked like they are nailing it. Octopath Traveler zero one of the big games there. This is coming December fourth, So wow, man, that is out this year. Let me double check that as Octopath Traveler zero arrives for both Nintado Switch to and Nintado Switch on December fourth. Okay, now I'm gonna read everything here. Let's see if we can suss out exactly what's going on with the zero start from zero and a personal quest of restoration and retribution, and it's prequel to the first Octopath Traveler Journey to stop powerful villains using fast based, turn based combat for the first time in the series, play through the eyes of your own custom protagonist and rebuild your hometown with over thirty recruitable party members and engaging story and all new features and returning core elements like the iconic HD two D graphics and the break and Boost battle system. Players embark on a journey of their own creation when Octopath Travelers zero arrives for both blah blah blah. As we just said, this feel this does feel like it is the mobile game being adapted. It's not, maybe just like the mobile game now on switch First of all, it seems like they are making it an offline game, where the other one did have some online elements. I never touched the mobile game, so I don't know, but it seems like they're doing a little bit of work to make this feel a little bit more special, which is why it's not just that game on Switch. They gave it a new name Zero. But I think also at the same time, LEXI, maybe people should dial down the expectations a little bit because it's a mobile port.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because I think I saw Alex Donaldson talk about this on Blue Sky. But like, Square probably has a bunch of these that they can do because they also have that Neo game that they took offline. That's right, and people who played that Neo game were like, hey, if you liked work this a little bit, it could just be a traditional video game. So I bet we see that at some point as well. So I bet we see a few of these of reworking free to play games to work for a different market, because otherwise you have those assets, you know, why not try to double dip on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are saying that they really like the original mobile game here, the near game was cool, and there's that Final Fantasy Tactics mobile game, So yeah, it sounds like there's a lot they can do here, just the songs. They don't release Final Fantasy nine, right, I mean as long as that.
Speaker 2: Anything, they will do anything to not release Final Fantasy nine, and god Henix Swayx will release Foam sars to before they release Final Fantasy nine.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, let's go all right, glad you're here. Yakuza Kawami too, And also they're gonna bundle that together with Yakusa Kawami November thirteenth on Switch to In. Anyone who has the original Yakusa Kwami will get in a Nintendo Switch can purchase the Nintendo Switch to upgrade at a discounted price. Okay, cool, Yeah, this looks looks pretty good. It's one of your favorite ones, right and you're a big like a Dragon fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't like my favorite favorite. This is probably one of the community favorites. Okay, I have a couple of like quibbles with it, but like, this is a really cool game to see port it because it is one of the first games that ran on the Dragon Engine, which is the newer engine that they use that leads to all those cool physics things when you beat the shit out of people in their more decent beat them ups. So it basically means if they can get this running, they can get any of those games running because the Dragon engine was known as pretty taxing at times. So if this does run well. That being said, this might be they might have moved it over to Unreal five because they're now working on in Unreal five. But yeah, this is a really good experience, and I do like the idea of them doing these in order for this for the Nintendo.
Speaker 1: Audience makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like even though like a Dragon Infinite Wealth and those might be bigger sellers. I think that this is the right way to go about it to cultivation that new fan base, is to give it to them in order and not get them to have to go to different store fronts if they want to play them in order. And this is good because then Mike Manati will be able to stream all of these back to back NonStop for several years straight. It will be the only game he streams on his Twitch channel, and he'll be forced to do it.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, I would like it. I would watch that. That sounds like a good time to me. Yeah. I mean they've had such success building that fan base up on new platforms over and over again, so yeah, they can do that again here. They know what they're doing. I think you're right that this will work. All right, Let's see pac Man World two repack that is September twenty six. That was a PS two game, I think a PS two platformer. I never really played many of the pac Man World games, at least not to my memory, but they look they look okay, they look like another platformer from that era, so probably just pretty okay. Final Fantasy Tactics the Evils Chronicles got a little bit more information on that coming September thirtieth, looked fantastic Persona three reload that's now confirmed for switch to October twenty third. That was something that felt like that was one of your predictions that was like that one feels like definitely that's gonna happen. Here we are coming out later this year.
Speaker 2: Is that on Metaphor and Persona has the SMT fan based on Nintendo consoles, so they were probably gonna go with Persona first.
Speaker 1: Metaphor will be there like next year at the latest. It feels like, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Metaphor definitely is one that would take a little bit more to get running because it had like even on PS five it could drop frames and places. But if they scale it back in the right ways they could easily get running.
Speaker 1: Hella Little Mouse Platform exploration game has full four player co op so four hellas Hella, Hella, hell Hella. That is coming twenty twenty six to switch to. It looked really cool, looked really neat. I was into what I saw. Kind of had a good like prairie style to it. And the mouse walks around on two legs and just looks like human in a not mouse costume. And I liked it.
Speaker 2: When all the other animals walk on four legs, it's weird, it's upsetting.
Speaker 1: The mouse is the king and tells the other animals what to do. All right, let's see here. Anything else. There was a sizzle real Borderlands four, Romancing Saga Tube, Revenge of the Seven, Hello Killy, Hello, Chilly, Hello, Kitty Island Adventure, Wheat Flour Wonderland update that's coming in the fall. That game is doing very well on switch. Shounobi Art Love Wheat, Oh Yes, Smoke Wheat every Day Shouldoby Art of Vengeance is aut August twenty ninth. That game was really fun at Summer Game Fest. Continues to be. I'm continuing to be very sitting in anticipation of that game even as I'm playing nin Guy in Rage band and really enjoying that. And then NBA Bounce from Outright Games coming September twenty sixth Uh yeah, little arcade styles that night. Yeah, it looked a little bit I don't know, it looked a little broken, looked a little cooked to me, I don't know, not broken, but just spoiled. The character's design.
Speaker 2: I liked. Technically owned by Bandai.
Speaker 1: I think no rest like interesting. Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: I've gone to Bandai appointments in games common They're like, here's twenty minutes outline games. I'm like, oh, great, cool.
Speaker 1: Last thing here, good night. Universe and emotional adventure that puts you in the role of a six month old baby developing mysterious psychic powers. That's coming November eleventh. To switch to and switch. What was the studio behind this? You said, the Blinking.
Speaker 2: Again, Yeah, before you lies there.
Speaker 1: Which is that game where like you you have a camera or VR and it tracts your eyes and if you blink, when you open your eyes again, it's a different scene in that instance, and so it's like everything you have every time you blink, like it's like, oh, this passing moment and I'm trying not to blink because I want to stay in this moment, but if you blink, it's over. I've never played it. I need to because it sounds astonishing, but I'll play this for sure as well.
Speaker 2: There games that like I've talked to people who who like parents and have played them and they're like, yeah, these are like designed to make me cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's I definitely can already know what's gonna happen. It's gonna be it's gonna put me in a mood where it's like, oh my god, I need to appreciate what I have right now. Yep, I'm gonna I'm in a happy place with where like my life is at. I don't need to blink and have it all go away, Lexi. That would be bad. So yeah, all right, let's see here that.
Speaker 2: Well, your life is ending one podcast at a time.
Speaker 1: Listen, I still feel like I got several thousand of those left, so that doesn't mean anything yet. I have several thousand podcasts left today, Lexi. So uh, all right, that's that's the recap that was the Nintendo Direct. I give it. I give it a B minus C plus like that might sound harsh. I guess, I don't know. I don't think that's a rough thing to say. This is what a partner direct often can be. I guess I'm e grading on a curve because if it's because it's a Partner direct, I would give it a be, like a solid be because there were several games in there that I'm interested in playing, And how else should I judge one of these by like how hyped I was by something unannounced that blew blew my mind? I guess so, but these are commercials. Do I want to buy the games? Yes or no? Yes to several of them. That sounds pretty good to me.
Speaker 2: And like, in a lot of ways, this direct isn't taking away from anything, Like we know that there will most likely be a September Direct because there's always a September Direct. So there are definitely things that they are like holding on to, and so it's kind of no surprise that these are things that didn't make the cut flash. But like you look at it and they're all kinds of stuff where you're like, no, yeah, I want this on the switch, Like I kind of i'd like, I like the idea of Persona three on the switch. If I was gonna play through hours of an LPG. It would be on the Switch or something. And I thought I was saying to you before the show, I think we get a bunch more of these joint games. Calm of just like publishers quietly being like, oh, yeah, this game that we we released three years ago is coming to Switch, but we don't have a date. Yes, we're working on it.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly so, And I just turned it up back on. Everybody, just get a break. Why would we turn off now that it should stop after this, let's see for audio listeners, the intro video started playing out of nowhere again. I know why I did that, but boy, very good at interneting here on the website. Okay, LEXI, what we should actually do is take a break so I can regain some mental health. Uh, we'll come back. Plenty of more headlines to get into, including I wanted to like do a quick rundown of what the rest of the year looked like. We'll get into that after this. If you want to skip out on these ad breaks, you go go to giant bomb dot com slash join. You can get the ad free version of the show. That's the way to do it. We'll be right back, and we're back. It's game mess warnings. Nothing has ever broken on this show once. I'm Jeff Grubb. That's Lex Lutti, and we're gonna talk more about video games. Yeah, we the Game and Former twenty twenty five calendar. I have no idea if they have updated this thing.
Speaker 2: They dude that good about it. They take pride in this calendar.
Speaker 1: Yes, have they updated it since the direct? Though? I was wondering about Oh, since the direct? I'm not sure, right, So they're not usual, that's ayage, Yes, exactly, someone should pay the price.
Speaker 2: If it's not Alex van Aiken specifically, he just got hired. Get him out of that is in fault.
Speaker 1: That's see. This is the problem with Game Informer. This is the problem. They already had Alex van aikin. Now they have Eric van Allen, two different human beings, both with Van in the middle of their name, So too many Vans. First of all, like no other website has one Van with the middle with them. That's not a middle name or whatever. It is a family name precursor. I don't know what it fucking means. I already confused these guys. Now they work at the same place. What's your problem, messed up? Messed up anyway, just become one person fusion dance and get it over with. Okay, So August coming up very soon. When I look at this, the things stick out to me. I mean, I guess Mafia the Old Country is in like a week. Have you heard any buzz about this right?
Speaker 2: That is? No. I know that they were reaching out to influencers recently, that they were doing their partnerships with them, so I bet we see a lot of that. This game is interesting because, like I kind of think that it's going to be more up the ali of press than it is influencers because it's a linear action game. And when you tell a press member of the press, like, hey, it's only like eight or twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Then yeah good.
Speaker 2: When you tell an influencer, they're like, shit, eight or twelve hours is one stream and they get really annoyed. So I'm kind of surprised that they have. I I haven't seen codes going out for it, but I'm not tuned in with Take two too much when it comes to review codes and stuff, so they might be going out. But I'd like a good new Mafia game, yep.
Speaker 1: I would too. I really don't know what to make of it at this moment. It's I get the because those games were always open world to a degree. Was three open world? I guess I don't. I didn't really look at The three at all.
Speaker 2: It was open world. And it's weird because that game is still totally broken on PS five, Like its shaders are totally fucked up, and you will get stuck in loading screens and a cut scene will play, and then the loading screen will start again, and the cut scene will play and you just say, in that loop forever and they haven't fixed it, even though they put that game up on sale frequently as part of a bundle with Mafia one and two, and it's like best of the PS five and it's a game that literally does not function in on your PS fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see what happens with this one, which again is said much more linear. I seriously got the order eighteen eighty six, but hypes from it where it kind of looked like it's, you know, over the shoulder shooter with lots of set pieces, and I don't hate that. I think that's interesting, interesting take for the for the Mafia game specifically, will it make any impact? I doubt it, but Mafus never really felt like it made a huge impact. So this is like if it costs less to make and they were able to and I certainly think that's probably the case if you just look at went into making this game, because this game they started making after they had another project that got canceled and they spent a long time on that, and that was just a couple of years ago, like three or four years ago, and who knows how long this game was actually in development, but it feels like it wasn't like the full six seven years that we get for a lot of games. So if they were able to save money, they with an expedited release schedule. I think that that makes sense, and now they can get this game out and if it does okay, it'll probably be fine by them. All Right, we should probably a little bit faster. Gonna run out of time otherwise, anything else stick out to you? In August that there's Gears of War reloaded, I guess.
Speaker 2: Here is a War on Hell Divers come out the same day, which is just interesting, and then Kirby and Metal Gear Solid Delta come out the same day. Yeah, could be the Switch to Patch.
Speaker 1: Yeah though the DLC for that Starland Delivers or something like that. And then yes, Middle Gear Salad Delta, Snake Eaters August twenty eighth, Chanobi Art of Vengeance is August twenty ninth. We talked about that. Let's see that Kronos game is September fifth, Borderlands for September twelfth, going through here, Silent Hill f oh yeah, Baby Steps? Yeah? When is Baby Steps? What day is that?
Speaker 2: September eighth, okay, and.
Speaker 1: Then Silent Hill F is September twenty fifth. That's one that's like, oh yeah, that's coming out this year. I'm still shocked by that. Do you think that's gonna be as good as Talent Hill two was?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but they seem confident in it. If the amount of time that they offered for a appointment like Games Calm is correct, Okay, that's because Games Calm appointments are not usually that locked, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So maybe they got something up their sleeve there. October is really a very busy month. A lot of those games that we talked about in the direct coming in October, and then Ghost to Dyota is October second, Borderlands four for switch two is October third. That King Makers game, the one you're driving around in a pickup truck with a machine gun and shooting up a medieval soldiers, is October eighth.
Speaker 2: Let's See Those Little Nightmares games Sell like Crazy MS is October tenth.
Speaker 1: Pokemon Legends ZA is the sixteenth. Ninja Guide In four is the twentieth. Jurassic World Evolution three is October twenty first. Once Upon a kind of Mari they did, they did? Just update this October twenty fourth. Outer World's two is October twenty ninth. Art Greaders is the thirtieth Dragon Quests one plus one and two. H D two Ory Remake is the thirtieth Mina The Hollower October thirty first, and two Terminator to No Fate, that awesome looking sixteen bit throwback game is October thirty first as well.
Speaker 2: Did you say the out of Worlds too?
Speaker 1: I think so. Did I say the Outwear? I think I said the Other Worlds too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a nuts month.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. It's really bananas. Out of World's two October.
Speaker 2: And then like November has four games.
Speaker 1: It's wild. Yeah, I mean that it'll fill in a little bit, but I think people are still expecting Call of Duty to come out November and they' they're like, oh, we'll just avoid that, and then everyone's going into October. Do you feel like, I don't know if any of these October games screamed to me as like, oh, and they're gonna need to move to Q one twenty twenty five to find some breathing room. It's a busy month, but it doesn't feel busy in the way where it's like these games can't coexist necessarily. I don't know. Does that sound right to you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think the only one that might blink is like a Ninja guid in for something. Sure, that's the only one that I because they're all of such varying sizes, they're not games that you would necessarily viewers competing with each other. It is interesting that goes to your toy and boardlands for are a day Apash, which like we don't think of as going for the same market, but kind of doing a weird way because right, yeah, that first Ghost game was like very much a casual breakthrough game with a lot of people who aren't necessary, who don't who mainly just buy you know, Call of Duty and FIFA, quite a lot of them play Ghost Tsushima and Borderlands like that thing sells like crazy to people who may not be like to do this game.
Speaker 1: Right to your friend who asks you, what's the what other games should I be getting right now? I'm playing Borderlands for what else should I be getting? That friend? Yeah, always getting Borderlines. In the December Octopath Traveler zero and Toxic Crusaders and it says here, Hollow Night Spoon Heaven doesn't exist. That's a fake game, so we'll never get a release date. And that seems that seems right to me.
Speaker 2: All right, money on the table. I bet that gets shadow dropped at game's calm on the shold floor. Yeah, which is really funny because you now have a bunch of pres being like, oh, I have to get in to see a Hollowlight Silk song, and they're like trying to schedule the whole appointment schedule around playing that on the shoal floor first, and then it's just going to wind up being playable in public anyway and everyone can get it.
Speaker 1: So do you think Hades two is kind of similar? Hades two one point could drop during that.
Speaker 2: I think hadesclude shadow drop at the Game Awards a little bit later.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see. All right, let's keep going. Battlefield six might cost eighty and seventy dollars, well eighty and seventy, depending on your currency. This comes from Lex Luddie and uh, let's see what's under that tenfoil cap there? Oh, it's your brain trying to protect the brain waves. You spotted something here? What's what's going on? What? What? What makes you think eighty and seventy?
Speaker 2: I was looking at the e shop after the direct and I saw that Madden NFL in Europe is going to cost eighty eurom and then I checked the US version of the shop because I have a US account for work stuff, and it's seventy dollars. And in most publishing cases, or in most cases, publishers release games kind of at a one to one race. So a seventy dollars game is a seventy YO game, an eighty dollar game is an eighty EUO game. And it seems like EA isn't doing that, that they are opping the cost of their games in the EU to eighty dollars. This is interesting because a euro ado yeah Ideo, This is interesting because eighty UO equates to about ninety one dollars, which is yeah, and seventy dollars equates to about sixty two euro so there is a big gap between those. And so basically it's just an addendum to that reporting that was going around where Bill wil Coon got out there saying that it was going to be AGU. Then it got reported on that it was going to be eighty dollars by a lot of people who just assumed it is going to be AGO. I am guessing Battlefield six is going to be Ago, and Bill wil Kuhn was probably right, and they were looking at an EU you know, shipping manifest or whatever. Bush. I think that what's happening here is that a lot of countries are going to start taking the brunt of the US tariff situation that aren't the US, and it's something you're brought up a bunch of like the US is very price sensitive and so companies will try to raise Yeah, will will raise the price in different regions to offset losing a bit of money in the US. And I think that's what's happening here is the EA games will probably be seventy dollars. If you're in the US, they will probably be getting more expensive if you're outside the US.
Speaker 1: It's it's also like this will get in a little bit of the weeds of how are the coconomies are interacting right now? But all the things that the US government has done under Trump to try to like make it more competitive and get rid of the the trade imbalances whatever, that it's a stupid thing to even try to do, and stupid because all the unintended consequences are directly working against what he wants, like because it'll be more difficult for these companies these other countries to keep American dollars because they have, like all the tariffs are causing some issues there, they're going to have to borrow American dollars when they want to make investment in America, which they still want to do, and so that will put more pressure on the dollar increase its value, which inherently makes it cheaper for Americans to buy foreign goods and makes it more difficult for foreign goods to be sold in America, the exact thing that he's trying to solve, which of course he's not trying to solve it, like that's absurd in the first place. But so the dollar is going to be worth more going forward, very likely because of all the things that are happening here. So I think these companies are inherently, intrinsically less interested in trying to get the US dollar price up immediately, and that goes hand in hand with Americans or whiny price sensitive and they don't want to deal with that, and they can raise it in Europe, and it's so desperate over there that they feel like they can get away with it. And it's proven to be true over and over again that they can treat the rest of the world like crap as long as they keep the United States happy. And I'm sorry everybody that that's the way it is.
Speaker 2: And Michael and Lily in chat asks what happened with the Mariocott announcement. What I think happened there was that game is Ago digital and then it's ninety erho for a physical a copy in Europe, and at some point that got lost in translation coming over between people trying to figure out the price, because remember they didn't announce the price for a bunch of switch stuff, and people were comparing ish and then at some point people were like, is this going to cost ninety dollars, and it wasn't Why.
Speaker 1: Would Discord be giving notifications. It always just automatically turns on. You know what, everybody, You're just gonna see Discord for a second. Let's do this. Let's make sure streamer mode is on enable. Streamer mode it's on, right there, is it coming through somewhere else? Oh boy? Okay, well that's gonna drive me bonkers. Okay, well, we're just gonna keep going and we'll hear it again, everybody. We will get a gun out and shoot this computer. Okay. I think you're probably right though. I think you've probably spotted it that this is what's gonna happen with Battlefield. So the rumor was it's going to be eighty euro and everyone just assumed that meant eighty dollars as well. And then Andrew Wilson in an investor calls like, we're not doing eighty dollars yet, we're holding back and everyone's like, oh, that means they're not doing eighty euros. And it's like, oh, that's like, these are two different things, and they're gonna treat them differently, all right. Xbox Content and Service Services revenue up thirteen percent year on year from vic Hood at Games Industry dot biz.
Speaker 2: Microsoft release that explains why they had to lay off all those people.
Speaker 1: Right, you just can't get by, right, it's too tough, it's money tight. It's up thirteen percent something like five billion dollars and more in revenue for this, I don't know, we'll go through this the numbers here, So this is for Q four of its fiscal twenty twenty five. Solid growth for gaming revenue and Xbox content and services. Hardware is down, but they are making more money. For the three months ended June thirtieth, twenty twenty five, revenue was seventy six point four billion dollars, up eighteen percent year over year. Net income was twenty seven point two billion, up twenty four percent year over year. More personal, including which is the side that includes Xbox, was thirteen point five billion dollars. I do believe Xbox makes up the bulk of more personal computing, but I think it also includes stuff like surface laptops and things like that, and that's up nine percent year on year. Here's the highlights, as listed by Vick Hood over at Games Industry. It was a strong close to what Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella called during the earnings call a rec fiscal year for the company. This is largely due to Microsoft's cloud services. We closed out the fiscal year with a strong quarter, highlighted by Microsoft Cloud revenue reaching forty six point seven billion dollars, up twenty seven percent. These numbers are insane. They're like making it's up double digit percentage points, and they still laid off all those people. And it's like because they think AI is gonna make them even more money, and they're just's just gonna blow up there. Actually, I can't wait for it to blow up in their goddamn faces.
Speaker 2: Genuinely. The thing I've like I've talked about on Blue Sky about like living in an unreality where it feels like even un for investors. At a certain point, when you look at business for long enough and you've probably done this too, you see them realize that the good money has turned into bad money, and they stop putting good money after bad and they stop investing in it. It happened with NFTs, it happened with Metaverse, where it became clear that this thing wasn't going to take hold. You look at like the market's view of AI even in this case example of Jurassic World Evolution getting like the shit kicked out of it by its community and having to say they're taking out any traces of AI from that. You look at the fact that like AI makes its way into Pokemon cards and they have to do a massive investigation into all of their Pokemon cards. You look at the consumer sentiment around AI and the company sentiment around AI, which is it's a fucking liability. And I just don't understand how investors and company heads haven't realized at this point that is just good money after.
Speaker 1: Bad that things they're working on. It's like, let's let's let's let's get more people working on AI so we could save money. It's like, Okay, I feel like you guys are jumping the gun here a little bit. You need to prove AI to people first. You haven't done that, and frankly, it doesn't seem like that is a concern at all. You're not working on I think they're just assuming it's gonna work, and it does. There's a poisonous sort of sentiment around AI that extends further than I expected. Yeah, a lot of your friends are using AI and having conversations with it. And breaking their brains or using it in a bunch of monday and mundane ways, for sure, But I don't think Ask those friends that are the most into AI, are you going to pay one hundred dollars a month for your AI assistant? Here? And I bet like nine out of ten say no to that.
Speaker 2: And like grub you, you probably think about the movie The Big Short as much as I do.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm a dad. Yeah are you kidding me this?
Speaker 2: See, I'm spending too much time on how aging me.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a lost of my favorite dad movies when we're done here, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, great, I would take you off that in Black Beery.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But the idea of that of like the bank's getting too big to fail. That's starting to feel how AI has gotten wet. It's very clearly forming a bubble, and everyone looking in on it can see that this is a bubble being formed, and they just don't care because they think they'll get their money out of the bubble before it pops.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And you can see that happening because like, there's no other technology that is as unuseful as AI that is still getting this much money poured into it this far into its life cycle, and like that bubble will pop. You talk to anyone who uses it, whether it be because it's so expensive to use, whether it be because like the returns aren't good enough, whether it be because they like end product isn't good enough. Yeah, the AI just isn't going to become a viable product in the future. And it is like a fad, but these massive companies aren't allowing it to appear as a fad, so they just continue to invest in it. And we've been doing it for almost a decade now. We've been investing in AI since twenty seventeen, and it still isn't profitable.
Speaker 1: And I mean all the you know, the Wonder One equivalents to the Big short as well, A lot of that stuff is there where. It's like the people that have oversight on this stuff, the media, the press, have been so bought and paid for or have been so beaten down by these billionaires that they are are afraid to be skeptical or they're afraid of being left out of AI. And you could just you know, and those the bros they're talking about, you know, selling mortgages or getting mortgages signed on Friday and sewing it by noon lunch on Monday, and those guys just being like bragging about how all the all the stuff that they're doing. Those guys exist in AI constantly and worth remembering.
Speaker 2: It's probably like a bunch of the same people. It's a bunch of the same people who were trading those same socks who were running the stock market at that time, who we all know got off scott free for tanking the global economy, and this is their new way of trying to make that quick money again, and it's going to tank like these companies and the global economy at some point. And like, I don't care about the companies. I don't like necessarily care about global markets people out of effect. Yeah, I care about the people who you know, in the case of the big draw have their houses we possess. In this case, it's loseer employment because their company goes under and it sucks.
Speaker 1: And and so like put a fine point on it. None of the AI bullshit is why Microsoft's content is making more money now than it was before. It was because people made a bunch of cool video games and they sold and they put those video games in new places and the people.
Speaker 2: Did you see the numbers that got out there for Facebook's AI initiative that they had in their earning support.
Speaker 1: I think I saw some of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we made like thirsty million. We lost three billion yep, oops.
Speaker 1: Yep, and just and no one is really asking for AAI movies And if they are, they're asking I want the ability to just to make stuff on my own in my house, So I just want to say stuff. And you're not gonna be able to sell any sell any of those things to anyone, and all of the legal problems have not been solved yet. It is. It's just one big land mine and they're putting all their money inside of the land mine. It's crazy. Okay, let's see here. Meanwhile, though, yes, the Xbox games are saving the PS five from its midlife crisis. That is a headline from Ethan Gotcha at Kotaku. There was a list for Matt Piscatella of the best selling PlayStation five games of the second quarter, and it was a majority Microsoft games. It was like something like six of the ten were Microsoft games.
Speaker 2: It's weird to look at because there's more Microsoft games on the PlayStation list than there is on the Xbox. Yes, exactly, because the X on Xbox people just play those three game pass So the majority of like the Xbox list is take two games and EA games. It's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that stuff like you know, Doom, the Dark Ages, Oblivion Remastered, forts A five let's see, I say, Indiana Jones in the Great Circle. See Yeah, and then of course you have Call of Duty and Minecraft. So between those six it's it's just in you know, people playing. Well, Microsoft bought all those stuff. Yeah, yeah, of course, definitely. Yeah. I don't really know what that means. I also, this just means more mining's going to Microsoft as they succeed on PlayStation. And I don't think anyone here is salty about this. No. I mean, I'm sure the fans are salty whatever, but they're salty about everything becase they're miserable people. Between Microsoft and Sony, I don't think there's anyone's going like, darn it, we're making more money. This thinks they're all happy over there. They understand what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think as like a member of the press. This really highlights an interesting thing that I've been thinking about a lot, which is like when there is an active boycott against the company like Microsoft. It's very easy to say, Okay, we need to boycott them, but when Microsoft takes up a percentage of the industry that is so grayish. When Microsoft blows, the industry blows in a lot of ways. Yes, I think it's still important that press cover them in a critical manner. And that's not me saying that you like, break the boycott. I don't think you should do previews of Xbox games right now because that, let's be real, previews are free advertising, that's all they are, like, But it is still important to cover these companies in a critical manner, especially in a business manner when so much like depends on the whims of a couple of people at the top there, and so much of the role of press now has to be holding them to account for their choices that they make, because no one else is doing that, like the government isn't doing that anymore. So I think it's it's a really delicate, delicate situation that the press have been put in with the BDS boycott, which is something that like I support, but also I think we need to talk about what Microsoft does because otherwise we're ignorant to the actual scale of what's going on in the industry.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's it's unfortunately literally too large to ignore on a show like this for the news side of things. But you're right, Yeah, I'm I don't know. It's it's tough. It's gonna be one of those things where I told you know what, every time it's free Palestine, a bunch of it's it's yeah. And I think Microsoft's involvement and and and continued target by the BDS movement is completely fair and they it should be brought up every time. Uh as far as their success, well, I don't. I guess on the other side of this, really, I'm wondering, like what does what does this mean for Sony? Like where is Sony at with releasing video games? Uh, it doesn't seem like they're in They're hurting by putting out two three games a year and some of those are from like partners like Kojima. So I guess is this even a problem at all? Obviously I just said it's not problems. They're making more money, but people do want Sony to put out more games. Are they putting out enough? It's weird.
Speaker 2: It's like they keep on getting like on the handful tosses thrown to them and they just haven't like taken hit on any of them yet. They're just like, no, we're still working on stuff. We're still working on stuff. We canceled everything. We'll be back in a few years time with some actual stuff. And I think that's like, that's the thing that we won't hear about for or we'll be hearing about over the years, is like just how many games got caught up in their live service push, and like not even how many games, but like the percentage of their release schedule that was going to be live service, Because I think that's like the real problem. It wasn't that they wanted to do twelve live service games. It's that they wanted to do twelve live service games and they were maybe releasing sixteen games in the next year a couple of years, and when one of those went wrong, now you have a huge majority of their slash that has like a noose around its neck already and this bad omen aroundish because of one bad release.
Speaker 1: There was one other number here from Microsoft Worth bringing up game Pass five billion dollars in revenue for the first time, said Nodela. Yeah, I think it's probably fair to say that that is a business model that is okay and is making enough money. And at the same time, it's worth pointing out that it has also been this albatross in a lot of ways for the the you know, the fate of Microsoft and where it's going, and they they do still have to kind of fund it in some ways, like a lot of the focus internally has to go towards game Pass. But five billion dollars in revenue, I don't think they're spending five billion dollars a year on making games for a game pass. At the same time, maybe they are, but it's probably it's probably not close to that.
Speaker 2: It's weird because like game Pass was always positioned and the press always talked about game Pass as like, oh, this is Microsoft's big besh and yes it was, and but the only options that people ever really thought about was like, it's either going to hit it out of the park and will become Netflix, it's going to totally fail, and it's not done either. It's just kind of to hung out around not even the middle, but a kind of midway point to And now it's had these weird knock on effects because of that that people hadn't really expected. So it's a very nebulous thing of like, what does game pass actually mean for Microsoft on the industry?
Speaker 1: Yep. And I'm sure a big reason to got to this five billion dollar revenue number is Call of Duty, And you know some of that money comes from somewhere. You know, it's not always an even exchange. It's not always a zero sum game where it's like we're making a billion here that we would have made a billion from selling Call of Duty, or maybe a lot more because call of Duty costs more. But I still think that, yeah, you could probably look at those numbers and it's not exactly like, oh, this is just for a free five billion dollars. You have to kind of do the math there a little bit. All right, let's finish up here. Capcom's share price drops sharply in Japan following soft Monster Hunter Wild sales last quarter. Let's see. This is from Chris Culling at v GC. Capcom's share price in Japan dropped sharply because of Monster Hunter wilds. The company's share price was sitting at four two hundred and eighty three yen at the end of Wednesday, but when the market opened today the price dropped nearly ten percent nine point five percent, hitting a low point of three eight hundred and seventy four. En Capcom published its financial results for the quarterly period ending June thirtieth, and while it reported net sales were up fifty three point seven percent year on year and that operating profit was up ninety point eight percent year on year, it also noted that Mike Minecraft Monster Hunter Rises sales appeared to have hit a brick wall. That's incorrect. I think he means Wilds here. Wilds hit a brick wall because the Rise actually sold better than Wilds in the last quarter. That's so people are pretty worried about Wilds, and they should be. The sentiment around that game has been pretty rotten for quite some time, and it seems like that's showing up in the ongoing sales. The game did very great out of the gate, but now it's sort of it has fizzled and fallen off a cliff, and investors are looking at that like we were counting on this game being a perennial hit for a while and it's not doing that.
Speaker 2: It is worth noting that m Lies is on switch and therefore switched to and has been on deep discount, Like I think the bundle with Sunbreak has been like thirty thirty bucks most of this year, so like, I'm not surprised that that game is doing measure, but I do think it is notable that Wilds isn't doing better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, real quick, I just spoke its Rise only sold slightly less, actually, but it was very close. So it was four hundred and seventy seven thousand copies for Wilds and then three hundred and ninety thousand copies for Monster Hunter Rise. So okay, eighty thousand less, but it's still like really close, like their neck and neck in a lot of ways. But you're right, those are copies sold, So Wild's making a lot more revenue, making a lot more money because these are all going to be deep counting. A lot of are going to be deep discounted sales of Rise on Switch and especially on Steam. But the underlying point here is investors and fans are worried about Monster Hunter Wilds. This is like maybe one of the first blimishes on Capcom and quite some time of this game just feels off. It feels like they missed with this one in a lot of ways. Even though reviews were really it reviewed well at the time, but I think a lot of people are like, yes, this is a fun game, it's just missing a lot of what makes Monster Hunter very special. And now those problems have become exacerbated over time. They're gonna have to say time fixing this up, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that was the big thing with Wilds when you looked at it, like, compared to almost every other apcom game that has come out for the last like seven or so years, it did feel unpolished. It did feel like other like Dragon Sogma two obviously had its problems, but that's such a niche game in a lot of ways that people are like, you know whatever, the Dragons Dogma Sick loved it no matter what. But you compare it to like the polish that we were seeing on those Resident Evil games, on stuff like Rise and a lot of their other output, and it did kind of feel like, oh, you've invested in a new technology and it's not quite working. Yeesh and whether and I think like maybe they've they've had to learn that lesson the hard way, Like they've gone out there and said that Lesid Evil Requiem isn't like fully open world, and I think that's them acknowledging like maybe the ORI engine can't do everything, maybe it's just not built for this, and they they kind of, you know, they they had to experiment with those things. You know, they had the technology, they had to like do something with it. So I'm not surprised that they tried to push the limits, but it just seems like it didn't. It has backfired on them in this case, and I'm sure they're like correct from it and people will be really fucking excited for the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably exactly what will happen here. Uh yeah, I mean the reality is all of these engines right now are struggling with open the scale of open world games. Unreal Engine five supposed to be the open world engine. No, it stinks that this too. A lot of games have troubling performance with Unreal Engine five, and it's just these people are trying to do too much. They're making games that are more than what Fortnite is, and it's like anything above that starts to become an issue for that. Yeah, idea, anything else.
Speaker 2: Someone up with this office just being like ha ha, not so easy now, is it.
Speaker 1: Fuck is a little bit yeah, uh huh, all right, that does it for the headlines. Let's get to the poll question. I think I have it right here, ready to go. Let's read it up all right from yesterday. Let's see what everyone said to this one. Do we get Matroid Prime for his release data tomorrow? Tomorrow's partner direct? I would have also said no, you dip? Uh, And that's seventy one percent said no, you dip and twenty one percent said yes, I have endless cope. Uh. Yeah. Look look I get it everybody, but we did not get it. So you twenty one percent lef to keep waiting, although you know that one I do like happens in September. Now, I feel like we don't get that.
Speaker 2: Cull September if it doesn't get shown at games come behind closed doores. I bet this is a Nintendo Today app reveal right, I bet that, like this is just something they put on the app and they're like, it's out then yep, exactly, also out on October twenty fourth, like every other video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not? Who cares put it on the same day as one of your other games? Nintendo? All right, that was the pole question from yesterday. We have a new Pole question. We'll get to here in a second. Before we do that, Lex Ludie, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on and all of that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, So this Saturday you can find me on Twitch dot tv, slash, Rewinder Media, Me and Rewinders other website owners. We will be running Rewinder Presents Mario Pagi, Jambourine, Nintendo Switch To Edition plus Jamboree TV and also Lexi Pagi starring Lex scottsh and Henry Patreon sabbath On. We're gonna be running that for however fucking long it takes to do thirty turns in that game grub. I spent like ten minutes setting this up with with Henry the other night before, like the night before my birthday, and like just making sure that all the online stuff worked and that we can get into a game. And after one turn of like playing a mini game, I was like, I'm angry. I don't I'm not happy, Like I'm not in a good mood anymore. I was in a good mood before then, and I was like, this, this sucks. So those two fuckers love those games, so I'm sure it's gonna be great content. Yeah, this is gonna be good content. And we have our cameras set up as well, so we'll be doing the cameras. And yeah, we're trying to up our Patreon support for rewinder. We're trying to make it sustainable so that we can keep on going with it. And we decided that the best way to do that is to make me suffer.
Speaker 1: It's it works, It's worked. It's worked.
Speaker 2: In the Yes, I waste a lot of money by playing Sonic O six for trans Healthcare, So like by the transitive property, they should also work.
Speaker 1: You should have a noobs hole. Noobshole is the key. That's what always makes it happen. People give a lot of money to kids for the to put me in the nobs hole.
Speaker 2: I'll just get Taspa van Dein to call over to my house. It's fine.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's perfect, all right. New poll question is great. The Nintendo Direct, ABC or D. Those are your options. They don't have us to do more than four options on YouTube anymore, so those are it, ABC or D will get the results of the poll. We'll talk about it here on Game Mes Mornings on Giant Bomb tomorrow to close out the week, speaking a giant bomb on that game. Mess Mornings will also have the Bomb twelve, which, if you check out my Blue Sky, I posted a link where you could tell me what is your game right now getting lots of replies. Once again, if you want to get one of your favorite games on the Bomb twelve, you're gonna have to respond and we'll see what the results of that will be. Of course, this is our list of the games that matter in this moment to people. We did, We started that last week, we will continue it this week. Other than that, today Voicemail, Dump Truck, we have Vinnie and Alex on the show with me and Backlart. It's gonna be a good one. Really looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: What nice guys, What nice guys? Yeah, come podcast with them for the first time. Lovely guys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, they're They're fantastic and uh you know they'll work when others won't and others around here just go do whatever off and SFO. Yeah, you go get the San Francisco treat on Mike Minatti. Yeah, I we'll get that going. What else I'm probably gonna do skys for Arcadia today, But like I said, A lot's going on, so we'll see if we can make that happen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it right here, you shouldn't I know, I shouldn't have I.
Speaker 1: Know I shouldn't. But if I don't, I don't know what else I'm gonna do it. Yeah, But so we'll see and then uh tomorrow we'll have upf We're gonna try a couple of things on there. I might start it by doing the campfire game Chilling by the Fire. Might force everyone to play that with me. We'll see that's out today. All right, that does it for what's coming up. Let's see your lex Luddie. Thank you so much for hanging out with me today to talk about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure, always fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening wherever you're doing so. I really appreciate it. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.