Speaker 1: Wednesday afternoon, fifteen minutes fast in the hour of two o'clock. It is another beautiful, warm, May slash summer like day outside, and as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the ride. Spence Jackets Beyond the Mike, Porter Larsen, Beyond the Glass, booking the show, producing.
Speaker 2: The show today, how do you like?
Speaker 1: Eighty degrees in sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. It's gonna be a warm week. It's gonna be a scorching hot weekend. We're gonna get some rain and colder temperatures coming up next week. As we are about to turn our calendars to June. Wild at twenty twenty five is already almost half way over. I'm getting old time is going very very fast. It's also a mental construct. I did not take an edible before the show. We're not gonna go down that rabbit hole today. But hello, how are you happy? Wednesday? Halfway through that work week, one day closer to the weekend. We're gonna do some NBA playoffs on the show today. Both the West and the East appear to be over. Maybe not, we'll talk about it. Oklahoma City is looking to punch their ticket to the NBA Finals tonight at six point thirty on ESPN.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, ESPN still has.
Speaker 1: NBA basketball on their platform, even though their coverage could not be worse, and the I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: They're part of the new deal moving forward too.
Speaker 1: But anyway, t Wolves, Thunder Paycom Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The Thunder are trying to advance to the NBA Finals for the first time since twenty twelve, and we'll see if Minnesota can at least make it interesting tonight. Oka See is a healthy favor that is a tough place to play even when they're not very good, and they're historically special this year, so we'll see if oka See can get it done tonight and advance to the NBA Finals. The Indiana Pacers really dictated the tempo last night, and that really is the story. We'll talk about it, but the Knicks were never really able to figure things out rotationally on defense. A lot of bad closeouts, a lot of bad miscommunications, a lot of wide open shots for the Pacers in a historically brilliant game from their point guard Tyree Saliburton. And apparently we're supposed to debate whether or not he's a superstar.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure we'll do that today. But the Pacers lead it now in the East three games to one, and they'll try to close it out at the Garden tomorrow night at six o'clock on TNT.
Speaker 2: It could be the final.
Speaker 1: Iteration of Inside the NBA on TNT before they move over to ESPN. And I think the Knicks will win it on Thursday and then they'll go back to Indiana where it feels like it's the Pacers and six. But we'll get into it on the program today. It is a game day for Raal saw Lake.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not.
Speaker 1: Our local soccer club is in action tonight at six thirty Mountain time on MLS Season Pass Apple TV. They are taking on Austin. I think it's Austin FC. I don't know, it's the soccer team that plays in Austin. We'll see if ourselves able to you.
Speaker 2: Know what play?
Speaker 1: Well, how about that? We'll just go with that today. So a lot to do on the show. University of Utah football program welcoming in a bevy of recruits coming up for the twenty twenty sixth class.
Speaker 2: Over the weekend, they'll be on campus.
Speaker 1: We'll get to some Utah football recruiting news, the latest on the college football landscape with the new CFP format, conference realignments, the SEC and the Big Ten flexing their muscles continuously, so get to the latest on that. There's some nil stuff that Kirby Smart had some comments on today. We'll talk about Stefan Diggs continues to prove why this younger generation needs to stop filming and posting everything. At some point it's going to get in trouble. But we do have OTAs and Pro football as there is a little bit of NFL to get to on the program today, So good guest list for you guys. On a Wednesday afternoon, we'll welcome in Tim mcmahn NBA Daily, as his style. We're a number of weeks away, but not that long away from the NBA Draft.
Speaker 2: A lot of rumors surrounding.
Speaker 1: The Utah Jazz, who at this point have five and twenty one in the first and a couple of second rounders as well. Could the Jazz get in the mix to move up potentially maybe add a more exciting piece. We'll do some Jazz offseason. We'll preview tonight's game and talk Knicks Pacers as well Neil Smith. The NHL playoffs also continue to roll along, and Utah Hockey Club made some signings today. Nothing all that notable, but will excuse me.
Speaker 2: The Utah Mammoth.
Speaker 1: It's gonna take him innute Utah Mammoth with some transactions today. We'll get into it and we'll ask Neil Smith about his take on what the hockey club needs to do this offseason. The Panthers are going to try to close out the Hurricanes tonight. They have a three to one lead in the East Finals. All four series in the NHL and the NBA are three to one. Kind of a bummer because Game seven's rule. Maybe somebody actually show up and and show.
Speaker 2: A little fight, but we'll left to see.
Speaker 1: So Neil Smith stops by today three o'clock Jason Christ RSL club Legend. We'll preview tonight's match and we'll talk big picture of RSL stuff with Jay today and then c K our guy, Christopher Camaradi joins us live in studio for an entire hour or on this beautiful Wednesday afternoon, it's warm enough that our guy might drive is gearless bike downtown while listening to the Smith's Not His Walkman, Come hang out with us live in studio. Tim McMann, Neil Smith, Jason Christ, Chris Camaraddie, Spence checkets, all of you, the great listeners that guy Porter Larson on a Wednesday. At any point last night, did you think the next we're gonna win that basketball game?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: It didn't feel great.
Speaker 4: It didn't feel great really all all night long, really the second half more so than any But when you give up that amount of point Spence, I've said it all series long, there's a certain way the Knicks have to beat Indiana. Now, you take a w whether it's one fifty nine or seventy seven to seventy eight, but when you turn it into like a track meet, you turn it into what yesterday was kind of like a helter skelter loose ball.
Speaker 3: Bonanza. I don't even know what to call it.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was garbage basketball much of the game, and Indiana took advantage of that. They got more depth, They got guys that run the floor well, they got guys that don't just foul randomly because they're bored. Karl Anthony, Town's phenomenal player in certain moments Spence and then he forgets that he's playing professional basketball.
Speaker 3: Blows my mind.
Speaker 4: But anyway, No, I didn't really feel real good about the Knicks at any point yesterday, because when you give up like fifty points in the first quarter, you don't win many basketball games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were hanging, but they were running up and down with the wrong team to run up and down with. It's like, inevitably this is going to come back to bite you. Please stop playing at this pace.
Speaker 2: It won't work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And actually they played I think like ten guys in the first half, which was surprising to me. Maybe conserving a little bit of energy for your guys later on in the game. But then you're down by twenty again, and I know that's seemingly where the Nicks have been comfortable this postseason.
Speaker 3: But you can only get away with that so many times.
Speaker 1: All Right Live nine Events presents the twenty twenty five Granary Live Concert Series. My guys can't come into town, Come on down to that show and say what's up. Powered by Nightingale College in Murdock, Hyundai Utahs Number one Hundai Dealer Experience outdoor concerts in the heart of downtown Salt Lake's Granary District. You can find more details AUDIESPN seven under sports dot Com. Tim McMahon will be our first guest on this lovely, beautiful Wednesday afternoon. But before Timmy stops by, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Cash in on the Basketball Playoffs with Prize Picks, don't miss your last chance. You add your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup, whether it's points, rebounds, or says. Take your pick of more or less for your shot to win up to two thousand times for cash. Turn your playoff hot takes in the tickets to Basketball Championship Series starting with the play and Round. Every lineup you make on prize will enter you and of the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one VIP trip to the ship. So download that Prize Picks app today, use the promo cod ESPN seven hundre. They're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars lineup. Don't even have to win the lineup to get to fifty. But bottom line is, if you download the Prize Picks app today, you can use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred to check out they're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars when you play that first five dollars lineup. Prize Picks run your game all season long. Today's the day to do it, because they're giving you a free square essentially Anthony Edwards more or less than one point point five essentially. So if An scores, you get a free square, I'm gonna take, of course over on that. Give me over on a keel Alexander Walker nine point five points, I'll take over on Alex Caruso five point five rebounds and assists, and you know what, give me over on Julius Randall sixteen point five points, and we'll we'll end it there. So there's a there's some oh, you know what, give me more on Nas Reid four point five rebounds. They're five squares for you if you want to play long. All right, real quick, couple.
Speaker 2: Thoughts on last night.
Speaker 1: You know, ultimately this Nick team is really really good, and maybe with the right matchup, this would look differently.
Speaker 2: I don't think their championship caliber.
Speaker 1: I never thought that they were, and honestly, I thought that they were going to get smoked by Boston in the second round. And there's a case to be made that Jason Tatum stays upright, the Knicks aren't in the Eastern Conference finals.
Speaker 2: In a way, this was kind of ahead of schedule.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they go all in on trading five first round picks for Michel Bridges. Four of those were unprotected, so they sacrificed their future draft capital, and they did that just last off season.
Speaker 2: They move off R. J.
Speaker 1: Barrett and some other pieces to bring in o Giannooby, who's been really good for them.
Speaker 2: They sign him.
Speaker 1: Jalen has evolved to be much better than they ever thought he would be. They move off of Julius Randall and Dante Dimonceenzo to bring in Karl Anthony Towns, which was fine. I mean I like Dante, and that hurt their depth a little bit. But really, when you understand what the Knicks have been doing, it is with the idea of what Boston is probably gonna have to do this offseason. Like I don't think even the Knicks themselves thought they would be in the Eastern Conference finals because they put this team together to capitalize on potentially the Eastern Conference. Once Boston has the second Apron tax bill come due and they have to break this group down, and that could happen the offseason, I think Boston's gonna have to move off of somebody, whether it's Drue Holliday, Derek White, Jalen Brown, Tatum of course out for an entire year. So the Knicks kind of built incrementally and slowly to try to capitalize next year when Boston has broken this thing down. The problem is that Pacers are crashing the party. And it's probably just simply time to say the Pacers are a better deeper team than the New York Knicks. And here's one of the issues that is presenting himself. Rick Carlisle has played eleven or twelve players all year long, fifteen or more minutes. Tom Thibodeau has played basically six and a half players The one player off the bench who he trusts has been Mitchell Robinson, who is now starting. Miles McBride has had a good year. I like Deuce, he's a good shot maker. Didn't do much last night, but Delon right, Landry Shammitt precious that you have been on ice and I applaud Tom for trying to be a little bit more adaptable and going deeper in his bench. But when you just have done this over the past couple of games against a team that has played eleven twelve guys fifteen plus minutes for eighty two games and now three rounds of the postseason, it's you're up against it, like you can't expect Delon to be ready. And I think Delan has given Tom some good defensive minutes. But the problem is, and you guys remember watching Delon write as a ute, he was a dynamic ball in hand offensive playmaker in addition to a really good defensive guard. And when it comes to Delon with ball in hand on offense, he's peeing down his leg. He had a double dribble that looked like he was playing junior jazz last night, Like his offensive confidence is gone.
Speaker 2: He did knock down a corner three. But he does not look like.
Speaker 1: Delon Wright, the offensive initiator, ball in hand, decision maker that we had here in Salt Lake for the utes, because he hasn't been playing. So I applaud Tom for trying to pull this off. And Landry Shammitt has given him really good minutes both defensively, and he's actually been okay on offense.
Speaker 2: He had three assists and only eleven minutes last night.
Speaker 1: But the problem is you're asking guys who have been on ice to now step up in the Eastern Conference Finals and give you ten to fifteen minutes when you haven't been playing them. And I'm gonna sound a little bit like I'm contradicting myself because I think Tom has to do this, But it's a day late and a dollar short because they're not ready for the stage. And it's not Delon's fault, it's not Landry's fault. They just haven't been playing. And that's why all you're long you hear this criticism like look, and this is I talked about this the final game of the Celtics series. With about six minutes left in the fourth quarter, it was one hundred and ten to seventy six and Jalen Brunson was fighting over screen set by zab your Tillman Boston's like fourteenth dude, like Joe Miszula had given up, and Tom had his starting five in the game when they were up forty points with six minutes left in the fourth, Like, that's a time to let Delan get his feet underneath him. That's a time to let Landry Shammitt dust off some rest or precious a chewa just get some run. And so Tom Thibodeau is forgotten more about basketball than any of us will ever know. And I'm not necessarily sitting here calling him out for this, that or whatever, but this has been a bit of a coaching mismatch. And Rick Carlisle is a championship coach with a really good team. And look, I know we're supposed to like do the first take thing where we're debating who Tyres Saliburton is in the ecosystem of NBA basketball. He's an All Star, he played for Team USA, He's one of the handful of the best league guards in pro basketball. Last night didn't change that for me. Just because he had a historical game doesn't mean I'm going to change the way I talk about him one day after a great game. But he was very aggressive right off the tip. And when ty Reese is aggressive like that, this team is a problem. Okay, So he goes thirty two points, fifteen as says, twelve rebounds. Most impressively in the Eastern Conference Finals against a desperate Nick team, he didn't turn the ball over once as the primary lead guard for the Pacers, which was just spectacular. Aaron Ne Smith ended up giving Rick thirty three minutes of excellent defense on Jalen Brunson. Jalen Brunson had three shots in the final eight minutes of the fourth Jalen Brunson and Kat had four points combined in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: And how many.
Speaker 1: Assists do you think Jalen Brunson has had to Karl Anthony Towns during the Eastern Conference Finals If I had to get if I asked you to guest off the top of your head, how many assists all series long do you think Jalen has the cat?
Speaker 2: I'm pausing for dramatic effect. The answer is one. One.
Speaker 1: We're about to go to Game five now, one assist from Jalen the Cat. They don't play well together offensively. If the Knicks are going to take the next step they've got, they've got a cat problem. Even though at times Kat looks like he's dominant, I just don't know that Kat kind of feels like, you know, I don't know this to be true, but in the next generation, Kat kind of feels like the type of player we're we're gonna be talking about in the way we talk about Carl and John and Barkley and Peyton and Kemp and Patrick ewing Right, great talented players, they never won championships because they were just never the guys that could get it done when the moment demanded it at its highest.
Speaker 2: But credit the Pacers. They're deep, they're good, They're a problem.
Speaker 1: And it does feel like we are high speed ahead to an Indiana ok C NBA Finals and I cannot wait. Her media members bitch and moan about having to travel to those two cities.
Speaker 6: Next on the drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA Daily Assists.
Speaker 7: McMahon Van McMahan, that is beating old.
Speaker 8: Land, Texas flood as tickets Mud He's main.
Speaker 3: Fan ncmam Van McMahon, the man Man.
Speaker 9: The Oklahoma City Thunder looked to punch their ticket to their first NBA Finals since twenty twelve tonight, as they host the Minnesota Timberwolves at six thirty Mountain time on ESPN.
Speaker 2: Our next guest joins us on.
Speaker 1: A weekly basis, and as I often wont to do day to day, I'm walking the dog this morning, I'm listening to the Hoo Collective with our guy. So Tim McMahon, right out of the gates, I know the question to ask you, is it now time to talk about Tyree Halliburton as a legitimate superstar NBA player.
Speaker 5: I mean, you have to. He's in the conference finals for the second straight year. He's a game away from going to the finals. And the man just had thirty two, twelve and fifteen with no turnovers. Plus I mean, look, I get small market blah blah blah. This dude is marketable. This dude has sizzle. This dude talks crash and backs it up in emphatic fashion. Yes, I was. Haliburton's absolutely a superstar. And again, you know, as I said on the podcast, like dude, he went through Johns, he went through Dontan Mitche, He's going through Jennon Brunson. If you keep knocking out superstars and probably belong in their company.
Speaker 2: I lead say, would you rather have Halliburton or Donovan?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think you have to say Haliburton simply because you know, two straight years he's been to a stage that Donovan has not been able to get to you and you know, I think Donald's the heck a player. They are different players, but Haliburton has proven that he is the engine to an elite offense on a consistent basis, and you know it's proven playoff success. Uh, there's there's not a lot of guys who can say, you know, as Stars thirteen, they've been back to back conference finals. We'll see. There's him I'm talking about right now. There's him, and there's Aunt, you know, and Aunt's about to go home and Alberton's about to come here to Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Halliburton or Brunson. Who would you rather have?
Speaker 5: Again? You got to I Bolter start telling you, and what the results say. I love Jaymeen Brunson. He hasn't been able to beat Albert. He's been outplayed in this series. And you know what it is a little bit I will ackowledge there's a little that's a little bit unfair because he was hurt last year during that series. If he doesn't get hurt, you know, does he does he do the Knicks win that series? The Pacers not going to the conferences, okay, but head to head, look, Brunon, Brunson's getting his numbers, Alberton's getting wins, and they just they don't have an answer for alburning honestly, Like I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Albert some kind of deacon to stop, but we know he's not. But Carlile and Halliburn are pretty louselessly hunting once and right now, and that is really benefiting the Indanifacers.
Speaker 2: Halliburton are calling sectionon, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Am I gonna have Collin sextion in Dallas? Is he gonna beat in my backyard by the end of the summer.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. That's a good question.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I've got to reach to get jazz topics here, but I will non secuitur to try to talk a little jazz as we're just a few weeks away from the NBA Draft and Tim, you know the deal, Like every time anybody writes a whole like hey off season primer, what are we going to see? The Jazz are heavily mentioned as a team to watch out for, so I know where your attention and energy has been.
Speaker 2: I read everything. You're right, and I listen to your pods. But we are in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything for this fan base about what you're hearing as far as the plans for the Jazz this offseason?
Speaker 5: In those obviously you know they're they're very rebuild. They're going to be uh it's not aggressive shopping guys at least, well, can you listen aggressively? I don't know if that's saying I'm saying, but you know, like John Collins taken in very long term plan. You know, Colin Sections may or may not be, but will certainly. You know he's not untouchable by any stretch of the imagination, and he's going to come up with the you know, the ad talks of Mattericks. I'm sure to Matters absolutely need a stop gap, you know, primary initiator. You know it's not really a point guard just but I won't say point guard, but a stop gap lead guard who can transition into a sixth man role once Kyrie comes back and the section would absolutely make a lot of sense there. Now, what exactly would the price be? You know, those are conversations that they.
Speaker 1: Can ask all right, Yeah, there really isn't anything else to ask you about the jazz. So we'll move on now before we get out West, Let's let's stick with these for a minute, because you know, the fact of the matter is when you look at most of the splits and most of the numbers, it indicates this is a very very close matchup. And honestly, if you want to look at the glass at full as a Nick fan, that game one catastrophe, you know, if Nie Smith doesn't turn into Ray Allen circa nineteen ninety eight, it's probably two two. I don't think it matters where these two teams play tim whether it's New York, Indianapolis, or some blacktop playground in the Midwest. It just it's irrelevant. Three to one is not insturmountable, but it kind of feels like it. I wouldn't be stunned if the Nick send this thing back to Indiana, but it feels like the Pacers and six.
Speaker 2: That's what my gut says. What say you, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 5: Say that it's not insurmountable, but it's certainly not very mountable, you know, And hey, it really does like this at this point. It really does come down to an insane Pacers comeback and an awful mix collapse in game one. If not for that, it's two two. We're looking at it. You know, it's anybody's series. But they don't have a solution for Halberdie. They don't have a solution for the pace that the Pacers. We can say, hey, if not for that come back, well, you know there's an old saying they didn't really apply in Utah. But you know, fi a fist would all be drawn. Yeah, maybe the Knicks fans can comfort themselves with a few fists. But simple fact of the matter is three one pacers, and I have a hard time seeing how how the Knicks are going to pull off three in a row with two of those having to be on the Indian a turf.
Speaker 1: I agree with that one Nick question. Then we'll get back out to the west here. You know, there's a lot to like about this team, and they're probably a little bit ahead of schedule because Boston.
Speaker 2: I thought Boston would smoke them in four or five.
Speaker 1: And I think if if Tatum stays upright, Boston's probably playing Indiana, and Boston's probably going to the finals. That's my opinion. So look, the Knicks probably a little bit of had a schedule, but when you look at what they need to do to take the next step, the splits with Cat and Jalen aren't good. I think Jalen has one assist to Kat in the conference finals. I think your guy Timmy good time Bontemps dropped that. So let's just say that the Pacers are able to get this done in six or maybe they win at MSG tomorrow. What sort of tweak or movement do you think we'll see from the Knicks to try to take the next step, because I don't think they can do it with this roster.
Speaker 5: Well, and I would say the question there is not so much what tweaked, but is there massive change? And I think when you're talking about massive looks, we don't know if the honest is going to ask out right, but if he does, there's going to be a lot of smoke about Grannis to the Knicks. That's certainly the realm with possibility. I can tell you that people in Minnesota believe that the Knicks made the cat trade. It's kind of a one to two ship. They made him. They made that trade, yes this year, but also to have the option to trade him for a bigger fitch. There's not a whole lot of bigger fish in the league, but Jannis would be one of them. So you know that that's again there's a lot of dominoes that have to fall, or one major domocak they would have to falls. That have to be a possibility, But that's out in the air at least.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Moving out to the west before we get to tonight. You know, I think Minnesota the other night beats probably I don't know if they beat every team in the NBA with the way they were able to play, certainly offensively. I know ants taking a lot of criticism. Look, Julius Randall deserves a ton of credit for playing really quality basketball in the spring, something he has not done very much.
Speaker 2: Throughout his career.
Speaker 1: But the past couple of games he's been watching from the bench in the fourth quarter. And I loved Win Horst his hit on Van Pelt after the game. When Dagnolt was asked, Hey, what did you learn about your team tonight? Like nothing, just kind of who we are. You know, it was like it encapsulated the entire thing. This to me is about an Oklahoma City team that is ready, and is deep and is historic on a number of different levels as opposed to who Minnesota is not. But what were your takeaway's courtside watching what I perceived to be a really good game from Minnesota just not be enough to knock off this young, upstart Thunder team.
Speaker 5: Well, and I think the biggest thing that we learned is that, yes, Jalen Williams is ready for this. He is ready to be the number two guy on a championship team. They needed for him to have the best playoff performance of his career for them to win that game with a great shot making performance by all the Timberwles role players and Jalen Williams, you know, he he answered the bell, So did Chet Holmes. And you know, it sounds crazy because Shay had forty nine and ten. But I didn't think Shape played great by his standards in that game. It was their number two and three guys. And then I look, and it's going to get criticism since has been coaching his butt off to try to get him to make the right play to try to get him not to force things. He try to get him not to play hero ball. They scored one hundred and twenty six points. They scored forty one points in the fourth quarter. Ants, you know, Ant's lack of scoring in that game was not the reason that the Timberleves lost the game. Now, you'd like to see him impact the game in other ways. You'd like to see him make wall of the defense fin pack. Okay, I'll listen to that, but let's not act like, you know, Ants score whatever he finished with, what was sixteen points. I think let's not act like that's the reason that the Wolves lost. We may lit up the league's best defense in large part because guys are getting great looks. Because it's done. We're selling out to stopping it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when Dagnall did a really smart thing, you know, he sits Hardenstein, he butts Chat at the five and then So what they're doing is throughout any action with Ant, whether it's on ball when he has the ball in his hands or off ball when he's trying to get open Jalen Williams, he passes him off to loud Dort. Lou Dort passes him off to SGA who's six' EIGHT, sga passes him off To Alex caruso Or Caseen wallace like and then if he's able to get past the first line of, defense which he can't do because they're sending literally two people at him every time he puts the ball in the, deck chats back there at seven feet just protecting the.
Speaker 2: Rim. Like, SO I.
Speaker 1: I get the conversation about the greats find a way to get it done no matter what the defensive scheme.
Speaker 2: Is BUT i didn't have an issue With ant's decision. Making he probably could have been a little bit more engaged off the ball to try to get. Open but when you are being handed off with four wings who are six' five and six' eight and two hundred and twenty two hundred and thirty pounds all designed, to stop you what are you? Supposed to do just four shots in double and triple? Teams.
Speaker 1: Every possession like it wasn't really about. HIS individual PERFORMANCE i Just i think okase is uniquely Designed to stop ant or anybody else individually when that's what they.
Speaker 2: Decide TO do and i thought that's.
Speaker 5: Why, they did yeah and every time if there's a little crevice in the defense and he's driving and there's the. Second defender coming and look when you drive it in the teeth, of this defense that's how you get. A lot turnovers, and you know turnovers will just BE death against okac because they're so good at converting and they actually weren't great at convert, into this game but typically the team has had multiple games during his playoffs with thirty plus. Points off turnovers they're scoring more points off turnovers in the playoffs and any team has since we've been able to Track that stat so like just FORCING things and, i don't know we want ant to just jacked up a Bunch of, like alden, face you know, long jump, shots you know and, he was, aggressive real great. He was aggressive he went seven, to twenty five, and you know and you lose. By twenty five give me. A break again the whole point of offense is not for you to score as many points as possible for your team scores many. Points as possible and a lot of Those, Looks That nikhil Alexander Walker and Dante DiVincenzo and jadis gans we're getting it was because it's, a chain, reaction you know that's with the attention to. The ANT'S commanding so i, just, you know look when you're when you're a superstar and you're the face, of the team and you know he's, in the playoffs especially when there's only one, Game, that night yeah there's going to be stuff that comes. Along with it but a lot of. This stuff's nonsense so.
Speaker 1: Give me your Opinion On the, julius, randall EXPERIENCE because, like i, said you know we should not just completely summarily dismiss what he's, done this spring because he has been better than he has. BEEN historically speaking, i Don't, know man like for, a few years MY buddy so i, grew up.
Speaker 2: With they'd, ask me like what do you think about?
Speaker 1: The next chances and my rebuttal, Was, always like okay what do You Think if julius randall is your legit number Two Next to jalen if you, think he's ready Then maybe the. Knicks half something but he's never really shown to, be that consistently and he's watched from the bench over the past.
Speaker 2: Two fourth quarters so what's fair to Say About the julius? Randall?
Speaker 5: Angle, here tim yeah and two of the past, three fourth quarters because in between there he did have a, really good game and the, really good games really good Performances have been i'd. Been the norm and then look all the same stuff we just said about the attention to also paying that kind Of Attention to julius ranger and and, and you know he's been a non factor in two in the, last three games you have both losses. For the rules can he be the number two guys? And championship team it's hard to say that about to get knocked out in. The conference, finals You Know has julius randalls First season in minnesota been? A successful campaign i. Would say, ABSOLUTE you know i do think that that he's proven a. Lot of things now it will be interesting you he's got. THE player option i assume they looked out. Something long, TERM you know i don't think he's, a max player but those negotiations.
Speaker 1: WILL be interesting i have not spoken to you since the announcement was made THAT s g a WAS Given. The MVP award as i referenced a number, OF different times I get the jokic.
Speaker 2: SIDE of this i would. GET that vote i have no.
Speaker 1: Problem with it but now that, it is official has been for, a few days what are YOUR thoughts on sga.
Speaker 2: Receiving, THAT award.
Speaker 5: Yeah i WOULD say that i thought. It was, deserving you know. He earned it they won. Sixty eight, games you know that's the best team. IN the league i mean he scored almost, thirty three games, leading the, league, extremely efficient fast and he filled up. The box score he played a significant role in the number one defensive team. In, The league look i'm not going to say here and Tell you that joker didn't have a case TO. One another MVP you think i. Basically thirty, twelve to me there's two, major time breakers one team record way on THE side. Of, sga two look if it's the time hadn't won It yet open the, Guys WON three so i didn't think it was. A difficult vote there were one two on. Every single ballot if and SEVENTY one, had SGA one if i, had a ballot it would have.
Speaker 1: Been seventy two brings us To Tonight where oklahoma city is a very healthy eight point five point favorites tip Off six. Thirty mountain time is there Anything you think minnesota can do as far, as tactical? Adjustment lineup, switch you know is there anything they can do to? Make this thing and that is a tough building. To play in Do you give minnesota at least a puncher's chance and do you think we'll see something different from them to try to extend their season or do you think.
Speaker 5: It, ends tonight well all those role players who were hitting shots these last, couple of games they didn't hit shots in the first. Two games, here you know there's the old adage about role players shooting a lot better at home in the playoffs and. On the road if that, trend continues tonight And then the tims can, just you know they don't need to Fly. Back to minnesota they can go run ON the cancun i don't know that there's. Major tactical adjustments it'll be interested To see what finch does to Try to get amps bring it up a. Little BIT more but I think the timlewolves hopes of exting. In the series the rest, in the know the hands, of the, air The shots Even, Shamzo Nas, Lead alexander walker jay McMahon and those.
Speaker 1: Kind of, Guys All, Right, OKLAHOMA City, indianapolis nba finals you're equipped for it because you're a man.
Speaker 2: Of the people you're a.
Speaker 1: Small market guy which media member will be complaining the most about having to travel between.
Speaker 2: These, TWO cities oh.
Speaker 5: I don't want to call Out Names Like brian. WINDY win hurts i will, now. Last first plass he'll. Be all right his, wine's about sleep. Not not, cities fair, enough all.
Speaker 2: Right my friend, appreciate the time have, a great week enjoy.
Speaker 5: The, game tonight, okay appreciate.
Speaker 2: Well all right tim McMahon covers THE. Nba for espn he wrote A Book About Luka doncicic luka Doncic in The CURSE of greatness i Was released in march and the Link to by the book is Up on his TWITTER.
Speaker 1: Page at espn underscore McMahon is where. You find him tim stops by today courtesy of our GOOD Friends At. Ifa country store summer vacations and warmer weather are just. Beyond the horizon as the days grow longer and brightly colored flowers begin, making their appearance it's time to start Planning and applying STEP Two of i phase Four Plus Annual long care program design with a blend of vital macro AND Micro nutrients ifa step two fertilizer promotes strong roots and vibrant color.
Speaker 2: In YOUR yard AT ifa and Ifa dot Co Op so.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma city trying to stamp their ticket tonight to GO To the nba Finals Against the minnesota timberwolves, in Their building. Meaning okase's building they are an eight point, five Point favorite so vegas thinks this is probably not going to be. A close game we'll see how, it plays out and then of course we'll See if the knicks can extend their Series Tomorrow At madison square Garden Against.
Speaker 2: The indiana PACERS.
Speaker 1: As the, nba playoffs rollo we are ALMOST To. The nba finals looks like it's going to be a battle. Of small markets and as, we've talked about this is AN era of nba basketball where if You live in Milwaukee, you find giannis you can. Win a championship if You, live in denver You, find a jokich you. Win a championship and apparently you can build Title teams In Indiana.
Speaker 2: And oklahoma city.
Speaker 1: This is a great time to be able to capitalize on the parody era of pro BASKETBALL, in the Nba and the jazz are not.
Speaker 2: Ready for it and it's a, big time.
Speaker 1: Bummer all right IT'S not just nba playoff, action GOING on also nhl playoff. Action Going on so we're Gonna Bring in neil. Smith coming up on, the Other Side the utah mammoth have made a couple. Of signings today we'll tell you who they are and go. OVER those details rsl is, in action Tonight taking on austin. On The road jason christ will roll, by later On and The university of utah Football program welcome zan a bevy of twenty twenty six recruits for campus visits coming. Up This weekend chris. CAMARADDIE will stop i will do some college. Football with, Ck You know big dave. Is In town old. MAN'S in town i don't know. If he's listening, he's got meetings but, if he.
Speaker 5: Is you just made.
Speaker 2: HIM very. Happy i was, You know what i'll, JUST say this i was raised With Too.
Speaker 1: Much, neil young okay there's Nothing Wrong, with neil young but all things in moderation and growing up in THE household that i Did Too.
Speaker 2: Much neil young i'm not gonna.
Speaker 3: Lie, THAT'S fair, Well i mean i've told you my dad took me to like Twenty maybe.
Speaker 4: Thirty, tesla concerts, indeed they're fine, listen, to, fine yeah indeed.
Speaker 3: But, rest, His soul, dude come. On, for sure sure let's see.
Speaker 1: A different show that's A lot of Tesla Concerts And. Crosby still's nash in my Household, Was, Only crosby Stills. Nash and, young so well Welcome In Another neil neil Smith on. A, wednesday afternoon neil is there music that you get nostalgic for that you were raised.
Speaker 2: With when you? Were, GROWN up well i just want.
Speaker 8: To tell you have you? Answered this question do You Know where neil? Young? IS from originally.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't I'm, in The midwest somewhere ohio because he wrote a Great.
Speaker 2: Song called ohio i've no idea.
Speaker 8: The Same place neil Smith. Is, from toronto oh.
Speaker 2: LOOK at that a Couple of Great. Neils from toronto and his.
Speaker 8: Dad was the sports Editor for. The, toronto newspaper oh.
Speaker 1: He Smokes good Neil Young. Knowledge neil smith. I'm very, impressed so, yeah my father, who's in town he. Might be, listening. SO hello dad i was raised with a Copious Amounts. OF neil young i don't know if you know that. ABOUT my dad i think he might.
Speaker 8: Be his, favorite, oh well see he Always likes a neil, in his Life.
Speaker 1: And a canadian deal at that, At that, right so music what music were you? Raised raised On A young neil smith Growing. Up in toronto what were?
Speaker 8: You, raised on, well let's see you're going to AGE me when, i TELL you because i was around eight nine years Old with the beatles and that was A craze like i've never seen before, in my life never probably. Will see again. Just TOTAL insanity and i was right in. THERE with it I thought the beatles were the greatest. Thing on earth, AND you know i remember my father WHO departed when, i was ten but complaining about. Their long hair and of course their hair and it doesn't look. Long at all it looks like just they haven't been to the barber. For a week but no that times were different there in the early Sixties when the beatles came over And Performed.
Speaker 1: ON ed sullivan i Love it and I'm a, huge beatles. Guy so impressed? What is it it seems there's got to be something in the Water. Up In canada the canadians breed so many, talented, like. Comedians musicians actors there's like this, creative artistic, bug you know kind of bug up there that seems to breed so many creative people.
Speaker 8: WHY is that i don't know. If that's, true Per Capita the united states breeds tons and tons, of you know, unbelievable TALENTS too but i really don't know why that would be if it's. PER capita higher i think maybe just that they have a lot of they're not so worried about money when They're younger, as americans are and because they're not as capitalistic There. As in america but that's THE only thing i.
Speaker 1: Can, think, Of okay well i'm just Trying to pay Canadians to compliment neil is all On this. Lovely wednesday afternoon i'll Tell you, what canadians do breed a bunch of. Great, hockey players however for the first time since, nineteen Thirty Three the united States Wins The. Hockey World cup and i'm not going To pretend like i'm a expert On The The, hockey world Championships But four utah mammoth players are now, gold medal winners including The CAPTAIN, Of Team. Usa, clayton KELLER so, like i said this tournament on my radar this year because our local guys were, so well represented is this.
Speaker 2: A tournament that moves the?
Speaker 1: Needle for you and what are Your THOUGHTS on team usa winning it for the first time in.
Speaker 2: Ninety, Two years yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm just happy they haven't won it. SINCE nineteen three i don't quite understand why That's been but canada GOT knocked out I think by denmark or something early, in the tournament and they had all The They had sydney crosby and the group of stars playing. On That team so i'm Unhappy For the, united States team. The america team i'm Happy for th thompson who scored the overtime winning goal because he suffered through a number of Years now with buffalo and them not. Making the playoffs and, you know what it's Just good for it's good for those guys and good for the country and we'll hopefully spur on other young athletes to want to.
Speaker 1: Be hockey players the landscape of the future, OF the, sport i mean do the majority of the best young players Still. Come from Canada Has the united states Closed the gap russia when things? Are normal, politically of course always in the conversation about one of the, Best hockey countries so, Just generally speaking i'm not.
Speaker 2: Asking for specifics the future of the Sport. LIES where neil i think it lies.
Speaker 8: All, over The world but, Russia For sure united, states for Sure And the united states is closing, the gap, Because For example austin Matthews, Comes. From scottsdale Arizona You've got clayton Keller Coming, From. Saint louis missouri they're coming from all. Over. THE place now nhl players, are talented guys and that's because the sport has caught on a lot more Now In the united states with the thirty two teams being. In the league with the nineteen, EIGHTY gold medal i think was very, big for, kids you know born, in the eighties born in the, seventies AND eighties and i Think That the united states eventually will close the gap because there's ten times the Population In the united states that We. Have in canada so it's what's really good about it is there EVERYWHERE is. Producing nhl players and even there's a one, Of, The Players, zuker jason zuker who played Last. Year in Buffalo He's, from las vegas. Of all things, so you know they come from everywhere and it's, good to.
Speaker 1: See All Right the utah mammoth signed a couple of twenty twenty, Three. FIRST rounders dmitri I believe it's Samashev. And Then denil but i'm not going to ask you to break down who these players are because we don't know. Much about them but it is transactionally a. Story around here so three year entry level contracts signed by two young players are defenseman? And, a forward today just? What is that what exactly? Does that Mean What did bill? Armstrong do today he.
Speaker 8: Gave him three year, Entry level contracts which is Good news for bill and his staff and the fans because that means that anyway to this point that they. Were successful picks doesn't mean they're going. TO be stars I don't And i don't i've never seen, the players MYSELF but what i do know that it means is that they, like those players they like the, way they've developed and they started THEM on. An nhl career whether they have to Start In the american league or they START in the, nhl right. AWAY who knows i, certainly don't know but signing young players is. A good sign.
Speaker 1: Nhl, draft COMING Up The ut hockey club with a. Fourth, OVERALL pick again i want to ask you about exactly who should they, pick it for because that's.
Speaker 2: Probably an exercise you've got to dig into a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of YOUNG prospects and i continue to, remind our market and you're good to. Remind us too we are a basketball market for, basically fifty years and we're Used to the jazz drafting a rookie who more often than not plays for the. Team, right away now they're not always ready to, play right away but we, see them typically certainly if they're a number. Four Overall pick the jazz have a top five pick and they badly need somebody to come in and. Play right away so what's, the you know and you remind us a lot of these young hockey players will not be playing for the senior. Club right away most of them don't for maybe, a few years if. Not long longer but when you have a, top five pick you have a, good young team you. Have cap space what are some of the conversations Happening With the utah mammoth front office right now in preparation? For a draft they could bring bringing them a really really, good young piece or they could use that as an asset to extraby growth and bring.
Speaker 8: In, a vet well you've pretty well. Summed it up if they get the. Fourth overall, pick, it's four right not for. It's, for, correct yeah yeah they're going to get. A good player they're going to get a. Very good player whether he can play this year or not will be seen in training camp and judged by, THE coaching. Staff i guess but they're going to GET a, definite nhl player and it should BE a. Good nhl player how? GOOD who, knows i mean these, players are eighteen they play either in junior hockey or In in, a european league, or in college and it's a very hard barometer to use as to how they'll play when they GET to. THE na level i know that from talking to your dad for years that it's the there's a lot easier comparison between COLLEGE, basketball and nba, and you know which guys that play in college at a high level we'll be able to make IT. Into the nba that's a little bit more up in the air when you're talking about hockey because there's so many different factors and it's really hard to. Make that judgment but the good News for the mammoth Fans Is that bill armstrong and his scouting stuff will definitely get a good player. At number, FOUR all right.
Speaker 1: I want to stick with a couple of offseason storylines before we Get to. The final, four, both series well every single series IN either the NBA, or the nhl we find ourselves at, three to one which is kind of a bummer for somebody who just wants To see some game sevens and some exciting playoff. Hockey and basketball maybe we'll get there. In the finals but Tell Me, about mitch marner who is a Center For, the maple leaves who is a free agent at the age, of twenty eight and whether or not you. THINK he is i know that he probably could pick his destination because of how highly thought. Of he is but when you look At what the mammoth need and, who he is and the fact that he's, a free agent it's a name. To talk about Tell Me, About Mitch, Martner Neil well mitch marner is.
Speaker 8: An excellent Player he's from toronto and Plays For, the toronto maypolice so there's a lot of pressure he felt, by playing there, and he felt according, to my sources that he had unfairly been criticized And, judged in. Toronto HIS hometown and. I get that i understand that maybe he wants to move on to a place where he's not so conspicuous that every time you go, out for dinner you know somebody's saying something, to you there interrupting. You or whatever and that's what It's. Like in toronto. He's very fast he's not. A BIG guy HE'S i can't i don't know, his exact measurements but he's he's not. A big, guy he's slight but he is can play all special teams and, a regular shift so, he kills penalties plays, the power play and plays. Five on five he got over one hundred, points this year so he's. The real deal he's probably best suited on a if he Was On a, stanley cup team to be the, second line center because you want to, have a big more powerful guy at a, first Line Center like Austin matthews or nate McKinnon or one, of these, big strong guys and then you know you have a great. Second Line Center, by mitch marner but he's definitely at the top of the, free agent list along with other Guys like Brock message from vancouver and.
Speaker 1: A few others So according To greg WICH, nisky from espn he lists three teams to make the most sense as far as making A Play, for mitch marner and the teams he Lists Are, the Anaheim Ducks, the chicago Blackhawks And. The utah mammoth bill's got a lot, of cap space he's, got salary flexibility he's got. Money to spend Do you think utah takes A Look At mitch marner and, if.
Speaker 2: They do what do you think?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: LOOKS like Well i think.
Speaker 8: Svence it all it's all going to be in The Evaluation of mitch marner and where he. Wants to PLAY and when, I say where i. DON'T mean geographically i mean is it really important to him that he's on a team that Could? Win the cup not, maybe this year but he can see them winning in a year or. Two or three, if he does he want to be on a Team That's got connor madart and rebuilding and you may not make the. Playoffs, next year again you know that's that's. A good question or is he in love with The city of Chicago And With hugh tah he put them. OVER the top i think he put them. Into the playoffs he wouldn't be the final piece of, the puzzle though because you're. Not that close but he, HE would, definitely i think propel that team. Into, the playoffs again it's all going to. Depend on him does he, want to live, first of all in different time Zone than the eastern time zone where. He's always lived does he want to play? For a contender does he want to play for a team that's the middle. Of the road does he want to play for a rebuilding team and be the superstar of. A, rebuilding team again that's all. What's going on or does he just want to go for, the MOST money, WHICH i doubt i.
Speaker 1: Really doubt that put yourself in The Shoes Of bill armstrong neil as somebody who has been a roster constructor at the highest levels. In pro hockey And let's, say bill, Calls You know mitch martyer and he talks, to His agent and mitch agrees to take A meeting with bill and considers Playing For. The utah mammoth what do you sell him as far as trying to get him to agree to play for, this young group because we know that he's going to have a bevy. Of different options what's kind of the Selling point that bill has in his back pocket for A Player.
Speaker 8: LIKE mitch marner i think all teams now that are interested in the free agent market put together a recruitment presentation like college teams do when they're trying to recruit the best young guys out there because they've got a choice to go. Where they want so there would BE a whole i would imagine video show that Bring. Him into utah they would show Him How Wonderful salt, lake city is all the. Opportunity that's there they would show him the arena and how. Beautiful that is they'd get him to meet some of the key players so that he knows that they're. Really good, guys of course the coach is going to play a big part of it and telling him what role he'll have. On the team it'll be a two, or three, day you know visit where he'll stay in. The best hotel he'll go out for dinner with all, the Significant People including ryan smith, and his Wife And obviously bill armstrong And. Obviously coach tourney so they'll wine and dine him sort of speak to try to sell Him On Why salt lake city would be a great destination.
Speaker 1: FOR his career i want to ask you about a couple of other players before we get to the teams that. Are still playing, and you know IT'S interesting because i First Learned about sam bennett during THE tournament Where usa played Canada In the four nations and He was Fighting. Brady could chuck, And ironically enough sam's teammate that he plays really Well with Is matthew could Chuck.
Speaker 2: Down in florida now. They're still playing.
Speaker 1: Sam's twenty nine he is an unrestricted free agent and, he you know it's not just his production, twenty five goals.
Speaker 2: Twenty six assists he also had.
Speaker 1: Ninety penalty minutes and there were a LOT of times i Was Watching the utah mammoth THIS year where i didn't feel like they, had the fight didn't feel like they, had the. Grit The physicality so florida probably wants. To keep Him But if sam bennett decides to kick the tires on, unrestricted free Agency Does the utah mammoth make sense as far as.
Speaker 8: A fit GOES i think i don't Know what teams bennett wouldn't be, a fit for because. He said could he brings an element of nastiness to the Team, along with Kachuk Along, with brad marshawn but he also IS from what I Understand from paul maurice is, a great teammate is a guy that. He Loves coaching sam bennett's worked with. THE younger players i know that for, a fact himself and it's taking them. Under his wing he seems to have all the credentials you'd want to be an integral part. Of, the team again he's he can play. Both both ways he can, play very physical but then he can score. On you too so he's one Of those guys spence that when he's on the other team, you hate him and then when you get him on your team. You love him he's just it's one way.
Speaker 2: Or the, other one more one more.
Speaker 1: Potential free agent just looking at the list as far As What The, utah Hockey Claer, the utah mammoth, what they need what, they could use the money they have, at their disposal and then the ages. Of PLAYERS available brock i Believe it's A bozer from vancouver Right it's, pronounced besser okay, so right wing twenty, eight years old scored forty goals a couple. Of years ago again still young and a position of need for. THE hockey club i don't know Whether or not vancouver. Wants him back i'm reading now that he potentially could make his Way to the wild Because he's. A minnesota native And then the Hurricanes and the devils mentioned His potential for. Brock as well but at the age, of twenty eight, young right winger is this a player that could Fit Here in salt Lake For.
Speaker 2: The, utah Ammath Yeah and.
Speaker 8: Brock besser could sit. On any team it's unbelievable To me that vancouver let. THIS guy walk i can't believe they didn't get him signed a year ago and. Wrap them up he is a hell. Of a player he's an ingredient. That everybody needs he, can score, goals he's. Big he's strong he's not Going, back to vancouver he, said that already and he's going somewhere else WHERE that is. I wouldn't know but whoever gets him is going to improve their hockey team. By getting, him.
Speaker 1: All right there are still, Teams playing hockey so let's talk. About these teams let's talk. About these series both are. Three To one the oilers were able to get it done at home again where they have just been dynamic, For to one so they're up three to one now out Here In. The west final what do you make Of the way edmonton's been able to dominate through four games And you give dallas a fighting chance to get back.
Speaker 8: In, the thing well they really have dominated through all all of the games, in the series because If you, remember game one they had a lead of three to one going into the third Period and allowed dallas to score five goals. In the third so. That's An anomaly why edmonton, is so dangerous. There's three reasons they've got, two franchise superstars and McDavid and dry cidel who were at playing at the top. Of their game they're getting secondary scoring, from, their second third and fourth. Lines And Defense, and stuart skinner their goaltender that was thought by many to maybe be their problem area that they could be caught up. With their goaltenate he. Has BEEN phenomenal so I don't give dallas. A chance now i did before, the series STARTED but when I see how edmonton has, turned IT on and i remember last Year's movie when edmonton suddenly got better and better as the. Playoffs, Went on. No i'm sorry i'd like to Give my Friend peter De Boor and JIM. NIL the gm i hope that they would come back, in THIS series but i don't see.
Speaker 1: It ALL right before i, Set you loose let's move Over to, the East now where florida clearly has.
Speaker 2: Turned It on the hurricanes were able. To get one can they at least?
Speaker 1: Get it tonight make it interesting or do you feel like it's more or less over out Here.
Speaker 2: In the, EAST you know i.
Speaker 8: Don't know that florida, will win tonight although, if you may if you made me pick one team, Or the Other i'd say florida's going to. End it tonight And the reason i'd say that is because the three guys that were out for them that, are important PIECES. WHICH. Were, A J, greer Miko mikola And. Sam rein, hard of course those three Didn't play in Game. Four in florida they're All playing for Florida. Tonight IN carolina So i think carolina's. Had their, win you know they've been a very strong home. Team all, Year but boy florida is so good and has played so, well against them and they seem to be. Clicking really well blebrovski's playing. Great in, NET so again i. DON'T know that I wouldn't say carolina, can't WIN tonight, BUT i would i would bet on this, thing ending tonight.
Speaker 2: ALL right before i, say you lose and we'll visit with you before the Start Of the.
Speaker 1: Stanley cup playoffs but If it Is, florida and edmonton what's the, really early take what's the really early gut feel?
Speaker 2: On that, Series.
Speaker 8: You know I've been saying florida since it was, going to win since close to the end. OF the season i said. It last year but, you Know what like edmonton SCARES me when i say, Scares my prediction that's. What it scares it. Scares my predictions and it scares me that They're playing, For CANADA now, Like i mean canada Hasn't Had a stanley cup since Ninety three WHEN Montreal beat pla kings and they look. Really really good, So You know i'm i'm Not sure how i'll. SWING my thing i think it'll. GO seven games i think it'll be a series that you'll it'll. Be JUST dynamic AND i GUESS i guess i Shouldn't Be a benedict arnold and go back on, my Own pick but i'll Still. Go with.
Speaker 2: Florida fair enough neill tell all of our listeners where they can go find that. Podcast, to yours well.
Speaker 8: We're doing it. Almost Every. Day email Spence We're doing stanley cup dates, after every game and then WE'RE Doing The Nhl, wrap round show which we Actually Just had ken HALL and do Gm Of. The la kings he was on. With us yesterday it's on all, The, Podcast, Platforms, apple spotify YouTube iHeart anybody that's got a podcast platform has our. Podcast on. It we're growing we've had our most downloads in a month this month and the month's, not over yet so. IT is growing i Hope People In, salt lake city if they're listening or we'll give it a listen. And Maybe subscribe and i'm hoping that the people that do listen learn.
Speaker 1: Things, GREAT stuff neil i appreciate. Your time today keep up the great work and we'll get.
Speaker 2: You, On, soon okay hey if.
Speaker 8: You're going to see that, basketball guy tonight tell him. HI from me i, Will.
Speaker 2: For sure, neil, thank you, sir, be well, okay be.
Speaker 8: Well thank.
Speaker 2: You all right coming up next we will.
Speaker 1: Preview, tonight's match yes it is a Game day For ral salak rare MIDWEEK. Game For rsl jason christ Will Stop By Chris camaradnie liven studio for the. Four o'clock hour there's a lot of college football news.
Speaker 2: To get to we'll DO. That with ck it covers college football.
Speaker 1: For the athletic but before we, catch a break we welcome, In My guy Jeff Fox From pure life Medical.
Speaker 2: On, A Wednesday, jeff? Happy wednesday sir how?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 10: Hey doing great? How about?
Speaker 2: You i'm.
Speaker 1: Well all right so You Guys At pure life medical provide many, services for people but a big one is.
Speaker 2: Stem cell therapy how?
Speaker 5: Does?
Speaker 8: That work yeah this.
Speaker 10: Is amazing stuff some cell therapy is like supercharging your body with the critical cells and components to. Help you heal that really what makes. Your body work and the therapy is to add those components that we lose, when we age and it can help us, repair our injuries, increase our. Functionality decrease pain it can keep us out of surgery or help us recover.
Speaker 8: Faster from surgery all.
Speaker 1: That sounds great so how does one know if they need or could benefit from?
Speaker 2: Stem? Cell, therapy jeff well the cool.
Speaker 10: Thing about it is that almost everybody can benefit because it has such a wide range of applications and so these include things, like you know if you have osteoarthritis or joint pain. Or even neuropathy these are things that. Can really help if you've gotten athletic injury or been, in surgery recently this is something that can. Really help you it can reduce this comfort and damage from chronic, inflammatory diseases too which is a big problem that. People hear about some people like to use it just to slow down the aging because it helps us repair and stay. Young for longer other people may use it to help, their brain function especially if they'd had trauma or or degeneration. In their brain, and then finally some people just like to use it. For aesthetics purposes it can be used for things like facials or hairy growth and so if you really want to know for sure if it, applies, to you though we've got people with fifty years of experience that can really walk you through and answer.
Speaker 1: All your, questions of course, say you lose how can our listeners go about getting a consultation with You Guys At, Pure, life medical.
Speaker 10: Yep no problem you can just schedule a free consultation with us by giving us A Call At your Life Medical in cottonwood Heights. Or in layton AND. Just, Mentioned, espn.
Speaker 2: Okay jeff, thank you sir be, well you.
Speaker 1: Too all Right purelifemedical dot com is the Website the referenced you, can call them but go get all their information Of.
Speaker 2: Purelifemedical dot com pure.
Speaker 1: Is spelled PUR there's, No e There so Pure lifemedical Dot Com in cottonwood Heights and In layton appreciate jeff's time Today on.
Speaker 2: This wednesday afternoon doesn't it just dollars put you in?
Speaker 1: A great, mood i mean say what YOU want about u Be forty, but wednesday afternoon, eighty degrees outside and it's been a while since we've rocked in a ub forty on. ON the program i mean instantly when, you hear this doesn't it improve your?
Speaker 2: Mood right away, one hundred yeah.
Speaker 4: And NOT ironically and i don't know what you were alluding to, when you say say what you Want about, You be, Forty but well, i'm.
Speaker 1: ON board, no i, mean you know there aren't many people that have the uh vulnerability to admit a band that is so summarily dismissed as their favorite.
Speaker 2: Of all time AND it's why i respect.
Speaker 1: Our next GUEST He Is Rsl Legend club director jason Christ on. A, Wednesday, afternoon hello jason, how?
Speaker 2: Are you sir most that was, quite the introduction.
Speaker 5: Quite the? Introduction? Thank YOU well? AM i?
Speaker 2: Wrong i mean are you not instantly in? A?
Speaker 5: BETTER mood yes i am instantly in. A BETTER mood and i was thinking perhaps the mood that brightens for you isn't about, you be forty, but in fact because you know you're going to be speaking to, me next.
Speaker 1: Well you know you're one of, my favorite people which leads me, to ask you why have you not been on the program for at?
Speaker 2: Least two months what gives.
Speaker 5: You've got to be invited to? BE on Here i think i'm not so SURE certain that i LIKE the hotline i can call. And get on but if you want to, open that availability.
Speaker 1: We, could discuss jason you have a standing invitation to come into studio for an hour at a time, If you'd like if you have the, time for us.
Speaker 5: You, know that okay that to be careful what. You ask for that's? All about?
Speaker 2: That fair, enough all right let's.
Speaker 1: Start right here as a man who made his living scoring goals, in professional soccer what gives as far as the lack. Of potency offensively more last you had a couple of goals in the first Tew.
Speaker 2: Minutes against vancouver. Which is great we'll get. To that game, but you know? Is it personnel? Is it scheme is?
Speaker 1: It bad luck why the lack of consistent offensive potency from the club so?
Speaker 8: Far?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 2: YEAR jay.
Speaker 5: YEAH i mean i think it comes down to one one sort of major thing and another sort. OF underlying, factor i mean the major thing is that we have yet to identify the replacement for a very important player that we lost Last, season in chico and so we have looked, under some, rocks let's say and we have looked at some young players to potentially, become that guy and ultimately we feel like nobody's really taken advantage of that opportunity that's. Been given them so nobody is providing us the answers to the questions that we, seek so far so which leads us to be very clear about scouting an opportunity. For this SUMMER but then i think there's an underlying factor in that we are missing some quality and consistency from the players underneath, that striker position And That really diego luna is the only one that has shown us any sort of consistency, to his performances and we need more more than one player out of those players that are essentially four positions to create some of those. Ghost line chances we'll.
Speaker 1: STICK with what i perceive to be some positive developments before we dig into SOME things that i will call problematic, In, YOU know jay i think you've got Something in.
Speaker 2: THIS gozo kid i have not watched him grow the.
Speaker 1: Way you have i've only seen Him recently after pablo decided he had earned some time with. The SENIOR team and i DON'T know that i have a comp that, comes to mind but, he's really energetic, he's very bright he's. Obviously very young he opened his bank account soccer term no big deal soccer guy over here last week by finding the back.
Speaker 2: Of the net the same week he.
Speaker 1: Graduated high school and part of me, wants to say sign a damn, Grown up please but. We'll get there When you watch gozo and as you've, watched him develop what stands out?
Speaker 2: Most, to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's A player that i've been paying, particular attention to REALLY since since i came here now a year and, a half ago because he's been stand out, in my eyes he's been a difference maker and the teams that, he's played with and he, shows, some real. Raw exciting abilities and so he's a player that a lot of us in the club have been singing praises for, and pushing towards pushing the coaches to recognize and pay attention to him and. Work WITH him and i think all of this has sort of come together here in the last. Couple of months and he has certainly earned, everything he's gotten there no. Doubt about it you have. Not given anything he has earned all the, opportunity he's gotten and he's somebody that's taking a hold of those opportunities and. Making the difference so extremely excited about how he will, continue TO develop because i, still think, he's you know as you've as, you alluded to he's shown some, really bright spots but there's also some some pretty glaring improvement that needs to happen as he. Continues to develop does.
Speaker 2: He remind you of anybody like what?
Speaker 1: Type of player and if it's, NOT a NAME i guess i could just ask, you like this what sort of? Player is he and what sort of player you envision him becoming once. IT'S fully, baked.
Speaker 5: I, think you know he's a player that is a guy that likes to, run in behind which is very rare. In younger players he understands that, that's his strength is to try to receive the ball behind the, opponent's back line and then he needs to he needs to, Make plays happen so he needs to get into these areas that we call primary systems and needs to make. The right decision that's a little bit. WHERE he's lacking i think he's a tremendous Finisher from. What i've seen high level finisher doesn't need a ton of chances to, score HIS goals so i think he kind. Of has that and he's got an incredible aerobic capacity and that bears out in the testing, that we do but it also bears out.
Speaker 8: In some of.
Speaker 5: The statistical data the physical data that he's putting out is frankly record breaking for. Our first team so he's setting a new standard for.
Speaker 2: That, FOR sure okay i wanted to stick.
Speaker 5: With, The.
Speaker 1: Positives oh cobra he continues to, play really well and now there's some things we'll get to that. Haven't been great, but you know you guys made some summer window editions last year that. WE'LL talk about i was curious during the offseason if you were going to figure something out in goal after an underwhelming campaign With McMath and gavin still, being very young, and you know as far as being able to hang your hat. ON good decisions i think it's safe to say that your keeper has been really.
Speaker 2: Good, this year jay give.
Speaker 5: Me, your thoughts yeah there's no. Doubt about THAT he's probably, I would say i don't even. Think it's arguable he's been our best, performer this season. Which is great he, Really LIKED that and i would say from a, team building perspective we have added a PIECE to what i would. Consider our core uh and so that's a positive and we need to continue. To do that but if you want to look at it from a little bit of a glass, half empty perspective it's never great when you feel like the goalkeeper is, The best performer you've probably got other issues you need to. Talk about it if the goalkeeper is the best. Player for You so is?
Speaker 2: Diego gone yet? As he left? Are you with Are you? Without? Diego, tonight, no.
Speaker 5: No no no he will go to national team CAMP After the.
Speaker 2: La, Galaxy game okay So, You have diego diego for the next. Couple of games. Good to know so let's move let's.
Speaker 1: MOVE over here i always try, to be fair and you know this because you KNOW how fair i am, as A human how, i GIVE back, how I care how i'm about.
Speaker 2: LEADING with love i don't have.
Speaker 1: To convince you so whether it's on, air off air my whole goal every day IS how can i help my fellow man? And BE fair so i do not want. To Be unfair so i'm going to ask the, question like this what is fair To? Say about diogo WHO'S the only dp on your roster and you brought him in LAST year and i think a lot of people are just waiting to.
Speaker 2: See IT work and i know he's picked up a little bit, of A.
Speaker 1: Knock and i know there's some things going on with him off the pitch that you can allude to. If you'd like But the way i'll ask the question is what's fair To? SAY about diogo.
Speaker 5: I think it's very fair to say that he has not produced in this time here what we had hoped for or expected out of the. ACQUISITION of him i would say that that doesn't mean that it's, been ALL bad because i do think that there was a moment at the beginning, of the season in THE preseason where i thought things were heading in an. Extremely positive direction but, ultimately right now where it fits right now, IS you know i think, everybody just, pointed including him, by the way he probably more so than, all of us has been disappointed. With his performance he's very critical of himself, as a person and, so you know it just kind of is. What it is and then this happens. In professional sports this is never a, ZERO sum game i think is the way, to say it or one. Hundred percent business we're going, to make mistakes so this may prove to. Be a. Mistake we'll see what's the status.
Speaker 2: Of his health is he available for?
Speaker 5: The road trip he has been left off of the road trip to. To disciplinary reasons.
Speaker 1: Due, to disciplinary reasons can you shed any light that has? Not been announced can you shedding the light onto why this. Decision came down it.
Speaker 5: Came down basically because his behavior in the training sessions is not up To A real salt. Late, player standards okay.
Speaker 1: So Breaking news diogo gonsalva is not on the two game road trip due to disciplinary reasons handed down. By the club hard hitting journalism on the little radio Program on. A wednesday afternoon, o big, Deal all right so who steps? Into that slot who ultimately is going to be tasked with trying To play alongside diego and hopefully helping them out. A, LITTLE.
Speaker 5: Bit well i think in the last game Everybody saw that gozo played, in his position and then the tactics essentially. Changed a bit but now it looks a lot more like we're playing, with TWO strikers which i think proved effective in the. First two goals to have the numbers of players that are involved in the finishing attack phase and are entering the penalty box to finish those, Attacks is higher so we were quite happy with that and quite interested to see it play out a. Little, bit longer.
Speaker 1: Okay so we've discussed the attempts you made during the primary transfer window to bring Players Over the BOSNI bosnik kid i think that's how you say his name that obviously didn't work in the situation with his. Club was untenable so we. Know all that so let's talk about the acquisitions you did make and what you've. Seen so Far Start With, willy willy jagata who has three starts in five games played and we're still waiting for a goal. From our guy so of course the pe brain soccer part of me is just waiting for. Him the score are you seeing anything that is positive outside of the fact that he has not found the back of.
Speaker 5: The, Net, yet, yeah no absolutely there's been some some things he's done for the team and this hold up play in his physical presence that has. ABSOLUTELY helped us i think he's a player any striker that comes into a new system is going. To take time they have to understand exactly how and where and when they're going to get their. GOAL scoring chances i don't feel like he's a player that has had six or eight chances and just. Not taken them some of his best chances are actually called off due to somebody else being in an. Off side position, but you know there's goals. In this player he has Scored Goals. For kansas city this isn't like a player that has never scored GOALS in the mls and we're just kind of. Rolling the dice this is a player that has some, history doing it so we believe that that THERE'S more and i think it could be one one for in the, category of striker just needing a little bit of luck in that sort of category and one goal comes and maybe the. Flood banks open.
Speaker 1: We've only, Seen Johnny once johnny russell once fifteen minutes, off the, BENCH and look i mean we should. PROBABLY set expectations i think you probably. Played against him he is not. A young player. There we go there WAS the laugh i. Was waiting for and he hasn't been with the club for a number. Of different months so what can you tell us about the process to get him involved and do you think we'll see him?
Speaker 2: More moving forward and also what's reasonable To. Really, expect jay yeah.
Speaker 5: This is a really difficult situation, because you know when you're not in A team since november and you kind of go into the off season, with an injury it leaves you in a position where you've got to. Get soccer fitness so it's one thing to do the, physical fitness testing which he did and. Scored very well so from aerobic, Capacity it's there but from a, soccer playing perspective it involves so much more than, just you know doing, a beat test and so we've got to he's got to be built in a smart way and we are trying to. MANAGE through that i actually think he will be one that will, gain a big big bump in his fitness and his readiness when we have this international. Break coming up is he?
Speaker 2: On the trip? Is he available is he?
Speaker 7: On?
Speaker 5: The, trip, yes? Yes yes, yes all, right all.
Speaker 1: Right let's Go back to diego. For, A moment okay so clearly his star continues to just shoot. Through the room and, as you reference after This, two game roadie he will exit and he will PLAY with the us men's national Team In. The gold cup let me ask you this question before we get to how it pertains To Your club. Gold cup appearances Can you Remember kyle and Nick and even tony before they were. National TEAM regulars if, i REMEMBER correctly their us men's national team experience started with a really Successful Running. THE gold cup I can remember kyle scoring a, Couple of goals nikki. Playing really well could this be a conduit to a regular Rotational spot for diego WITH the senior us men's national team and maybe enough to get him POTENTIALLY with the us men's national team so we could see him Play In. A.
Speaker 2: World cup yes.
Speaker 5: Without a doubt and, so you know coaches that get to work with, the international players they're such. Small windows oftentimes and then on, top of that you play in, what's called friendlies and so, coaches and, players you know tend to be a bit more relaxed, in those games so you don't oftentimes get the full view of what a player is capable of until they're in a, tournament like this a major international tournament that. Lasts several weeks but now you have all of the on field data that you will need in a competitive environment with a trophy, in the line, oneyam the line and you also have the social data that you will need when you are in and amongst players for two to three. To four WEEKS and so i think that this is a major opportunity For, not just diego but for all of the players that are Part Of this. Gold cup roster the one other interesting part OF The way us Soccer And the gold cup mix is that typically because it's, during the summer most of the big name players Playing in big european clubs opt out of, this tournament essentially so it allows opportunity for others.
Speaker 1: To Step, Forward All right so pablo hopped on the show last week and dropped a little bit Of a well i'll call. IT a bombshell i was a little bit surprised to hear. Him say it We talked to kurt about it a couple Of days after pablo's hit because it's clear that there Is, interest in diego and as he continues to, grow and evolved there will be Extreme. Interest IN diego and i want, To be clear i'm not saying that you guys would, never sell him because if you get a phone call from a legitimate team in a league overseas that wants to pay you a, GRIP of money i understand why proof of concept means that you'd.
Speaker 2: Probably Take it but pablo said last week the new ownership.
Speaker 1: Group has informed him and you guys that they're no longer interested interested in this ethos of developing young players and selling them. For a premium the new ownership, group has Expressed, according to pablo that they're interested in developing young players and keeping him here to. Build a team can you shed a little light on what would be a very New Mindset.
Speaker 5: For. RAYEL slake yeah i would FIRST say that i listened to the Interview, last WEEK spence and i would Say that that pablo was probably a little extreme in his take of the messaging that we are Receiving because And i'm sure kurt probably already did, this with you because it's never going to be. AN absolute, right i mean we can't make promises and say that we're never going. To do this we're going to keep these players is because ultimately we have to make the best decision. For THE team what i would SAY is that i think the new group of ownered majority ownership is a little bit more interested in this idea of consistency and of keeping keeping players that are really, important to us putting a higher premium on them. Than perhaps before, and so now if you would just, look at it if you want to look at it just from a, Purely financial perspective diego's value to us may be higher than we are willing. To sell for and part of that value is not Just based, upon diego's abilities but based upon our longer term view of how we are going to have a. Chance, to, win.
Speaker 1: Okay yeah. That makes sense and, first of all thank. YOU for listening i know you're. A huge fan. Appreciate the, YEARS and LOOK i mean i don't want to ask you, for A number because i don't know that a number exists, where you're, like all right if we surpass, this many million then we. Make the decision but let's dig into the nuts and bolts of what a decision. Like that entails because the fact of, the matter, is right now when you look at the production, Of the club diego with eight goals, and three assists and then there are five players, with a GOAL and then i have as many goals as the third place goal scorer. On, your Roster okay so diego is, carrying a, massive massive load and it's tough to imagine even though the start has been hard and the points have been tough, to come by, without his contributions it's tough to imagine where you. Guys would be but at, the same time, to your point you know there is a certain threshold that would be met that would make this decision very hard to. Say no to so what goes into your decision making process is to whether or not you hold on to them or you move.
Speaker 2: Off, OF them.
Speaker 5: Well i think you START with what, i just described, which is essentially you know what is the value For Us, of diego luna and you don't just, consider right now you have to. Consider replacement value you have to consider the relative franchise value that could be. Going up significantly if we win something or if we're consistently, competing for championships the value of the franchise. Goes way up so it's just.
Speaker 8: It's a big.
Speaker 5: Math math problem but then also let's not forget that there's a, player, involved here right and this is oftentimes, where most people, including even us. Tend to forget, but You know what diego wants is ultimately going to be, important as well because he's if, he ends, up you know we if, we let's, stay for instance we want to, Keep, him forever well he that's not. In his plans he at some point wants, to be calm an internationally. Elite, level player well then we have to consider. That as well so there's just a lot of things that go. Into the decision it's.
Speaker 1: It's not simple would be interested to follow up with the thought of where his head is at because he seems like a. Really nice kid he seems like a Player that appreciates pablo and. Appreciates the club, There, are Moments jay, if I'm honest where i'm watching games and he appears to be frustrated that he is not receiving the help.
Speaker 2: Around him that. He needs it where? Is his head where is his head?
Speaker 1: Out right now do you sense any frustration from him because he's, been so bright but you guys. Aren't winning games do you sense that he is ten toes, on the ground, as they say and he wants? To be here where can you shed some Light on where diego's head might be?
Speaker 2: AT right NOW i.
Speaker 5: Would i would be remiss probably to try to try to interpret all. OF that spense i can only tell you the narrow part of THE answer that i could give YOU is That i think diego does a really really good job of focusing on what's exactly in front of him and allowing the rest to kind of. Play itself OUT and so i think what's exactly In front of diego is, a game tonight but he's very focused on and will give his maximum effort A, game on saturday which he will, do the same and then this opportunity has with, The national TEAM and so i would say his head is very focused on on what's in front of him and where it, needs to be which is just focus on his performance and let. The rest go the only other longer TERM perspective that i would guess that would be he wants to be Included In that, world cup roster which is only, a year away and so he needs to probably, navigate how best how best to keep the attention of the coaching staff from that and, so you know would YOU would WOULD i If, I was diego i would be weighing that up pretty severely about making sure That that that i'm playing on, a weekly basis because this coaching staff has made no bones about it that you the players that that will be considered and selected for the national team need to be playing for their. Team every week do you have an opinion.
Speaker 1: On whether or not it is better or worse TO be an mls player trying To Make this? World cup roster can you be properly prepared to play at the highest level in the WORLD playing in mls or like a lot of these other players that ARE with the, us national team do you think it's preferable preferable to be overseas in.
Speaker 2: A bigger league i think.
Speaker 5: Every player has. A different pathway but and let's just. Start with this let's START with how i just answered. THE last question i think it's very critically important that they, play every week meaning like a Player goes to europe to a huge club does never play well in my eyes and, In MY opinion and i think it's shown and borne out by what our national team coach is saying right now that that's. Not good enough we need you. To BE playing and i think in order to have the best chance to succeed, as a player you can't just be sitting on the bench somewhere and come into an international tournament and think that you're going to be. At your best. That Doesn't exist so I'M not sure i, answer your QUESTION but. Maybe i. Did for me, maybe the Level, Whether, It's, England germany belgium ITALY or the mls is less critical than just the fact that you're.
Speaker 2: Playing every, week all right let's.
Speaker 1: Move Over here bill simmons has this theory He Calls the. Patrick ewing theory it is a pro basketball theory based on the Nineteen Ninety Nine. New York knicks when, ewing was, hurt they somehow some way came together and played better than anybody thought the group could without, their best player and THEY Made. The nba finals what are you hoping to see and specific names. If You could as diego departs for at least a month month and a half, if not more if the team.
Speaker 2: Goes on to perform Well In.
Speaker 1: The gold cup who on this roster are you looking, At, To say, okay diego's gone. It's your time how do you tread water without by far?
Speaker 5: Your best player, FIRST of all i think the maximum people gone? Is? One, Month gotcha yeah so there's no there's no month and a, half. Categorization there thankfully so who do we who do we expect or want? To step up is the guys that are that have yet to really. Get big opportunities we will hope for the Continued. Development of gozo we will help Hope that really gotta reaches a level where he feels comfortable and starts. A square goal we Will Hope that tyler wolfe's contributions are. More and better We Will hope locklin brook. Will have Opportunity We, have johnny russell who has yet to, really break in who has shown a history of really good play and mls in the attacking half. Of the field we will have another Young player Named, aidan hester khani who has done extremely Well, for the monarchs should, get more opportunity and there's no reason why he can't take take advantage of it the Same way that. Gozo has done so the absolutely there are players that will need, to step up and the efforts of the players that are the core of this team will need to step.
Speaker 2: Up as, Well, Last question jay i'll set you.
Speaker 1: Loose on, this you know if you take THE pulse of rsl, fans right now and if you read some of, the media coverage both, locally and nationally there are a lot of people pointing fingers as far as the inability to bring in the reinforcements that you needed to bring in after letting Go of Chi, cho And crooks And andres and anderson and you, know, the list okay and last year was record breaking goal scoring and the points accumulated in.
Speaker 2: A single season what is, fair to, say.
Speaker 1: Once again going back to be trying, to be fair as far as what is the inability to find the reinforcements to keep up the level that you? Had last year what's fair to say about the club's inability up to this point to find the proper replacements for the players that.
Speaker 2: You let go.
Speaker 5: It's fair to say that we need to take, an internal view a review of some of these. THINGS and processes i think it's fair to say that.
Speaker 6: That we.
Speaker 5: HAVEN'T we haven't i don't think we have operated at the level that we have. In prior times, when we start when you start to add up The, Signings Of, Ojeeda Velascio Gomez, chi cho, uh these players you know something was different about the process because we haven't knocked it out of the park in the. Last TWELVE months and i think it's it's really quite SIMPLE the way i, look at it and perhaps this, is over simplification but the beginning half of last year we had. Two difference Makers we had chicho And We. Had, andres gomez now of course we had a Third There, in diego luna who was. Chipping in, right this season we don't have those. Two difference makers We, just have DIEGO and so i think that we still have the core of a very very. Very good team we just need those. Two difference makers and, PERHAPS you know i know that we missed on one that we thought we had an opportunity to get in the winter. Chance for window we, just missed it couldn't. Get IT done but i think we also need to be singing about that secondary. Player As, Well All right by Guy.
Speaker 2: We'll enjoy, austin behave yourself travel safe and. Good, luck tonight okay thank, you very.
Speaker 5: Much Appreciate it Jason.
Speaker 2: CHRIST club director i think that's.
Speaker 1: HIS Current title Rsl, legend Rare al Saw Lake and Action sight against austin. On the road austin is not, good this year BUT Neither is rsl austin five six and four. Ten, goals scored. Wow that's bad that's the Worst. In the west look at that seventeen goals. Allowed minus seven they are three two and THREE at home rsl at this junctures two five and one, Away from home austin, ON nineteen points. Rsl on fourteen in case you're, Just, tuning in jason with, little breaking news. Diego Excuse me diogo gonsalez has been left home or the match tonight in The match on saturday due. To disciplinary reasons so we'll see if can. Get more information. Jay stopspot today courtesy of My Friends, at courtland roofing reroofing and roof repair experts with over twenty, years of experience family, owned And Operated Called courtland roofing today to get free rain gutters with. Any roof replacement great time because you save a. Grip of money give them a call at eight oh one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five, five six zero or online at courtland Roofing Dot com chris camarani's. Live in, Studio, ALL right christopher i need. Your IMMEDIATE reaction uh rsl has. One designated player His. Name is diogo uh is my dog about.
Speaker 7: To hump you he's currently, Chasing, his tail okay but he's eyeing.
Speaker 2: My right leg just.
Speaker 1: Let him know just tell him to sit if, you want to if you Want to witness ck trying to avoid being humped.
Speaker 5: By my dog.
Speaker 1: It's on YouTube duke is a little bit, of a humper so we're trying to work with.
Speaker 2: Him on, That So so.
Speaker 1: Diogo gonsolve is the only designated player. On RSL's roster has been left home for this two game road trip due. To disciplinary reasons that's.
Speaker 2: All we know we just found. Out last segment what? Are your thoughts.
Speaker 7: It makes Me Think that and I'm not accusing rsel of fabricating any sort, of injury report but the heel injury the Day. Before last saturday correct the timing is kind, of in retrospect maybe a. Little, too striking listen you're not going to GET. More from, rsl i'm Like good for jason, for telling you and good that, it's out there because now, there's you know it's a club mandated statement from a. Club mandated employee but this to me is a potential, pathway way down.
Speaker 2: No longer. BEING oursl's numbers i would. Agree with that.
Speaker 7: Sometimes signings, don't work out and sometimes high profile signings, don't Work out and diogo isn't exactly the type of high profile signing that's worth potential headaches that apparently is being given. AT the moment i think he has one, goal this year don't remember how many he, had last year.
Speaker 2: One or, two so like.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you have to call a, spade a spade and with the upcomer upcoming, sever transfer windos sometimes you might be better for you, to shake, hands give bones dap each other up and.
Speaker 2: SAY good luck i.
Speaker 7: Could be wrong maybe this is, a you know a step in A direction where diogo and the coaching staff and the front office have stuff. To settle through but if you were asking me to read the tea Leaves out in sandycross From. THE old mayan i would say it seems like we are trending in. That potential direction did they?
Speaker 3: Close the mine oh a. Long time ago food was.
Speaker 2: Never very good food. Was never good but the guys dove off. Off the rocks the.
Speaker 1: Divers were impressive that burritos Just WERE ass SO i guess i shouldn't be surprised that. They closed, It All Right so diego luna is about to LEAVE for the us men's national team to Play In. The gold cup he will, be playing tonight he'll Be playing On Saturday. In los angeles. Then he's gone pablo on the, SHOW last week i know you heard it because you listen. All of it he dropped a bit of a bomb and he said he has been informed by ownership that they're no longer interested in the develop young. Players sell them he's been told that if we develop a young player that's good, for the group they want the player. To stay here DOES that mean rsl will never sell? Another, player again no. It does not if Some Team in La liga called kurt tomorrow and said Forty, mil for, diego YOU know like, i understand that it doesn't mean they're never going.
Speaker 2: To sell players but what do you Make.
Speaker 1: Of what pablo in the front office have expressed that maybe this new ownership group is not interested in the mindset that previous ownership.
Speaker 7: Groups, HAVE had well i think we need to challenge the ethos that this franchise is at the level of some other. Franchises and. Mls they're Not they sold andriscomes last year And They. Sold fidel barajas, other than that there haven't been bank breaking sales really ever that our sales front office had a lot to do in the last, twenty four months both bringing in players, and selling players but before that there wasn't that much going on from, a you know development and sell. Point of view they've developed players that have come to, the first, team You Know Justin, Glad Aaron, herrera body, hidalgo mainly defenders but this is not. LIKE they, are i mean there are other clubs in this league that have signed players or developed them from an academy perspective and sold them for a. Lot Of, Money Columbus, Crew Philadelphia, union la galaxy so on. And So forth so i'm not Necessarily Surprised because diego luna is a type of player that you currently can't, afford to lose because If You, lose diego luna you lose. The fan, base and yes if there is a forty million dollar, tag that comes. YES you sell i think fans. Would understand that but it's Not Going to diego luna isn't going to be sold For. MORE than andreskillmas i don't. Think so interesting his player. Profile is different andris is, a true, burner pure winger like one of the fastest dudes. In the league when, he was here like Was a fringe colombia. National Team player now diego has a chance to Play At the world CUP for the US when the us is pretty stacked from an attacking.
Speaker 2: Point of view but he plays.
Speaker 7: A different position his style of play is a, little more unique body types a. Little more unique he's not exactly a guy that now he, has foot skills but he's not the type of guy that's going to be able to run away from a. Lot of People but if diego ends this year, with twenty goals maybe we're having. A different conversation i just, Don't SEE it and i think it makes Sense from the millers' Perspective that if diego continues to play at This, level and go like on. An upward trajectory you make him a designated player because he's proven that he, can do it and you need somebody, to build around and they just don't.
Speaker 2: Have anybody else feels like he's already on the level OF what a, dp, SHOULD be, right i mean? Isn't, that fair yeah he's. AT that level.
Speaker 7: I would imagine that from a locker room perspective's he's, not the captain but he's, a you know a guy that. People rally around he's an easy guy. To rally around people like, playing with him people like. Watching Him play mauricio pochettino's giving him a chance where the previous, staff did not and for that is always going to be one of the more idiotic type of moves that will never understand why he Wasn't. Even in, paris but yeah he's he's been playing like a designated player and he's been the only guy that's been doing that since they jettisoned The likes Of.
Speaker 1: Chichio and andres so where do You like if diego develops fully and meets and? Meets the ceiling, because your point are?
Speaker 2: We DOING comps? Doing? TJ comps no i actually.
Speaker 1: Want to know what sort of level you think he, can play at because he's never going to. Be a burner he, Just never never he's never going to. Be A burner the javier comps feel right to me because, they're Really similar and javier was a guy that was able to make a difference with his skill but was. Never a burner Could take a javier probably better with Free. Kicks than diego xavier hit some. Incredible free Kicks so if diego, has the desire, and he does he actually has set it.
Speaker 2: On this show his goal is To be. A european player?
Speaker 1: Where what league if he maximizes who you think, he can be what league do you think he could?
Speaker 7: He COULD play and i think he could easily transition to one of the Top, clubs in mexico which is, saying a lot, because you Know top tier mexican club teams. Are very good if, YOU wanted to i could see him Going down To. Argentina, or brazil now granted those have really, good club teams but not at The. Level of europe europe's tough because mainly every single league is LIKE, prioritizes, the, nfl bigger, faster stronger model like you want dudes who can, run really fast who can, jump really high who can run, away from you and have a crazy amount of talent. On the ball diego's, a little undersized, AND you know i know in soccer we're not talking about guys that need to be six, two sixty three especially. In That Position like liono messi is the greatest player of all time and, he's, five eight RIGHT which is I think. What diego is but he'd have to go into. The right system could see him easily starring in a League, LIKE the netherlands i think going To, Top, Flight, england spain italy these are, all pretty. Tough, TOUGH asks france i think are all. Pretty TOUGH asks but I think for diego it's gonna, come, down to like does he if he wants To, go to europe does he want to, be you know a potential first team player or a rotational player on A, team like psv or you know a team that's one of the best teams in Let's, say the netherlands or you know more Obscure leagues like belgium where you can get a Sniff Of, the champions league or does it make sense to make a lot MORE money in, mls Play often as jason was saying, the previous hit like a lot of these guys get tantalized with the prospect Of going to europe. For obvious reasons it's where you want to go if you. Have a chance but it is so, CUTTHROAT and, listen, i mean like look at look at the stats around andrascoms like he is a eighty to eighty fifth minutes sub on the middle of the Table, team in france whereas here he was one of the best players. In the league so the step up is. Pretty Pretty hefty but diego could, potentially face, that, You KNOW crossroads BUT i think rsl will make it hard for him to.
Speaker 2: Want to leave one, MORE thing here.
Speaker 1: I don't do, radio LIKE this and i have an understanding of how organizations work and how roster construction works.
Speaker 2: In PRO sports so i feel like it's a simp who We, blame, IN spence well i feel like it's.
Speaker 1: A simp thing to do to talk about someone has to be blamed because it's more. Complicated than that this is not a linear. Finger pointing situation it's more. Complicated than that the ownership transition is, a real thing and WITH the way mls is set up with. A single entity it's also misguided to add up THE dollars that rsl received in exchange for players they jettison and then draw a straight line to say invest that amount. Into more players it's also very fair to say there has been a failure on some level to at least bring in talent and economic investment to continue the momentum you build last year for a team that scored more goals in ANY team in rsl history and had more points than ANY team, In, rsl history obviously the playoff failure is. What it is so instead of Saying Is? It dave Blitzer Is, it kurt schmidt.
Speaker 7: It's everyone's fault what's fair to say if you win, as a team you lose. As a team starting from the players, to the staff to the front office, to the ownership everything. Is tied together it is a organic mass that. Moves, intertwined together listen they simply have missed on a, lot of players and they've missed on a lot of players while working with, a tight budget and that's always going. To be hard you want. TO miss big rsl. Hasn't missed big, they've made small Miss small with, DIOGO miss small, I think, YOU i mean i don't want to say, it's a miss but A Guy Like don mark. Zuke is not androscomas. Like these are these were moves that were broadcast, as potential replacements, not band aids which at the time they were and. They still are they're. Still, band aids eventually you're gonna have to rip the. Band AID off and i don't know how RSL's roster it's going to be, constructed going forward Specifically with the, millers in charge but it would behoove them, to spend money and it would behove them to spend more than a three million dollar transfer on a number ten because three million dollar number ten's don't. Really exist anymore like you spend three million dollars on a guy who is a rotational player in the middle of the Field with Like Brian. O'HADEN amica annelly i know, that sounds crazy but you can't really ball on a budget anymore that you can't you can't HELP and and i know fans will always want to support, and show out but sooner or later there's going to be a straw that breaks. The camels back and like WE'VE talked about. Rsl Is foundering THE royals are i think the WORST. Team in nwsl they have, some decent players but just pay, for good players bring, in good players and everything else. Will handle itself i've, been saying this like ninety percent of what fans want to see is, just good players either.
Speaker 2: In person or. On the, two that's it, one hundred percent and it is the only way. To do this you have.
Speaker 1: To write checks there has to be economic investment into the, talent under roster which leads us to. The final thing then we'll catch a break and we'll do some college football coming. Up next summer transfer window Will. OPEN in july, i got it and there are thirteen matches starting with the first week of. The window opening if they, act that week that gives. Them thirteen matches if they wait until the end, of THE window and i think it.
Speaker 2: Gives them, eight so look. Here's my thing. Let's hear it the primary window, came and went and.
Speaker 1: You blew it you, just blew it and you tried to save it with a Bench Player from sporting casey and a dude that played Against.
Speaker 2: Like dun, seth.
Speaker 1: You know you tried to save it and, Our Guy, big willie, goles my guy, No looking great johnny's played once. For fifteen minutes jason just basically said like he's not close, to soccer shape.
Speaker 2: Which is understandable he wasn't with a club.
Speaker 1: For seven months so because you blew it during the, primary transfer window you should have targets ready that as soon as you can when, that window opens.
Speaker 2: Get it done don't wait for the, window to close and do it.
Speaker 1: The day Before as of jason's, INTERVIEW last segment I, Now have Pablo kurt and jason on the record saying.
Speaker 2: The same thing, their belief is or what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Out loud publicly is there two dynamic attacking players away from being among the BEST.
Speaker 2: TEAMS in mls i have no idea if. That's the case In, addition, to, diego.
Speaker 1: Yes okay correct so if, that's the case two, dynamic attacking players summer transfer window and don't make it two million Dollar guys like go, make a splash get two seven eight million. Dollar attacking players is that enough to salvage?
Speaker 2: Something, this year.
Speaker 7: NO it's not i think, the season's lost especially Considering you're losing diego for. Potentially two, months you know let's let's hope he stays healthy and he balls with the national team and continues to impress. That COACHING staff, but i mean in what world has THIS iteration of rsl convinced convinced anybody, that they, can you know tread water on Their Own. WITHOUT diego, luna i mean. It's just there you watch them play and they have like two. Basic attacking maneuvers they will overload the right side or they, will get, it get it get it to the Left Foot, of alex catronis who will send it.
Speaker 2: Across To nobody and alex has potential. To, serve balls yes.
Speaker 7: Yeah it does but, for whatever reason there, is you know nobody, crashing the box no. Late runners there they lack for any. Sort OF idea but i THINK they're just i think they. KNOW they're LIMITED i think i think this is a club that understands its limitations and they're learning them. In Real time but i'm. WITH you wholeheartedly i think If if the millers really want to show the fan base that, they, MEAN business like i think you need to be willing to spend, not this window because this window is kind of tough because you're not going to potentially get, your exact targets but YOU still. CAN i, think i think, in my opinion in the next, two transfer windows they need to be willing to spend anywhere from twelve to eighteen million.
Speaker 1: DOLLARS on, Players i agree and just real quick to your point about whether or not they can do. IT this window i don't pretend to know my elbow for my rear end about primary, transfer summer, window who's.
Speaker 2: Available who's not but if you go, off of, past you know.
Speaker 1: Just player signings last year with a, primary transfer window they, didn't do much and it was the summer transfer window where They. Bring in dom They, sold andre To, they sold andres so They, Bring in Diogo. Dom and, Lachland so look i'm not saying high five for bringing in players that. Aren't very good but they did make more signings in the summer last year than they did in the.
Speaker 2: Primary last year.
Speaker 7: They, incorrect they did and it seems like last year they had their ducks in a row in terms of understanding that a, potentially big offer one that they couldn't turn down Was, coming for andres, which it did and then they went out.
Speaker 2: And Signed, Players but diogo lachlan and.
Speaker 7: Dom probably cost a total of like four point five million dollars, between three, players five million which is not going to.
Speaker 1: Get it done when did They? Bring In alex was alex a primary transfer window or was he a summer. Tra, ANSWER window no i think he was before the start. Of last season before the start, of, last SEASON okay because i mean that was. A good Sign and if alex, has been yeah but. You're not wrong we need to, write some, checks all right before we. Catch a break you can cash in on the Basketball Playoffs. With prize picks don't miss your last chance to add your favorite players from the Court To your.
Speaker 2: Prize picks lineup, whether, it's points.
Speaker 1: Rebounds or assists you can take your pick of more or less for your shot to win up to two thousand Times, your cash today turn your playoff thought Takes in The Tickets To basketball championship series starting with. The playing round every lineup You Make on prize picks will enter You into the take, two ticket sweepstakes which could get you and a PLUS one a vip trip.
Speaker 2: To the ship so here's.
Speaker 1: What you Do Download the prize, picks app today use the PROMO code at Espn seven hundred they're just going to hook you up with fifty free dollars when you play your first. Five dollars lineup don't even have to win that, five dollars lineup you still.
Speaker 2: Get the fifty So Download the prize.
Speaker 1: Picks app today use the PROMO code to espn seven hundred for free fifty dollars with our Good Friends. At prize picks they are giving you a. Free square tonight it Is More on anthony edwards. Point five points i'll Take More on alex, caruso point five five point five. Rebounds and assists give Me More On nakil alexander walker nine. POINT five points i will take Less on chet holmgren five point, five Defensive rebounds.
Speaker 2: And i'll go i'll Go More on alex.
Speaker 1: Caruso eight point. Five Points Tonight so prize picks run your game. All Season long CHRISTOPHER. Camaradie c k did anyone Ever?
Speaker 2: CALL you christopher i mean that's, your, Proper, name correct yeah it's on my birth.
Speaker 7: Certificate, sometime parents no it's It's always been CHRIS.
Speaker 2: Or c, k, it's weird OKAY but weirdly i choose To go by christopher.
Speaker 1: On, MY byline yeah, I, saw THAT yeah and i think AT one point i tried to TAKE. Credit for k but did you say who initially came UP?
Speaker 7: With the k that's been GOING on since i was ten YEARS old because i used to think it Was Cool that calvin.
Speaker 2: Klein had jeans it is. Kind of cool it's kind of cool back to. The future style i'm not Going To complain alvin kleins back. In the Day SHOUT.
Speaker 8: Out.
Speaker 1: Michael j, Fox, all right chris you, Were in midtown manhattan not too long Ago For The Athletic College. Football annual meeting any grand takeaways you'd like to SHARE with, our, i mean look the landscape at college football right. NOW is, WILD i mean cbs is REPORTING that the sec IS leaving the ncaa in. Twenty twenty nine you can't, Just do that so there are a lot of things that have, To take place conversations ABOUT the new cfp format where IT'S clearly the Sec and the big ten calling, all the shots and you can complain about it.
Speaker 2: All you want that's kind of the landscape.
Speaker 1: Of the thing so what were some of the college football stories topics fantied about by some of the heaviest hitters in college football media.
Speaker 7: Exactly that it's beyond guard be prepared for rampant. Change once again, and ironically enough just within the last Six days since, i've BEEN home the sec meetings have Taken Place in greg sankie and folks are unhappy with the state of, college athletics apparently and they can throw their weight around because they want to and. Because, they can also the seeding is OFFICIALLY changed that i think that happened like TWO days after, i GOT home which i think is ultimately the right decision to do away with, those you know. Bloated HIGHER seeds but I think what i would say would be that you just have to be prepared for a tremendous amount of change and be prepared to ride the coattails of the. Powers that be and those powers that be are the two heavy hitters, that YOU mentioned the Sec And.
Speaker 2: The big, ten and listen things changed.
Speaker 7: ALL the, time i mean once upon a time people were MAD that the nba had a best of five series in, the FIRST round and i know it's hard to compare that to the amount of teams in the, college football playoffs, but. Things Change Man major league baseball USED to have I think one wildcard team and.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 7: It things changed everything is not going to be as, it ALWAYS was and i think that's. A good, thing i mean thank god we're no longer dealing with that computer system KNOWN. As THE bcs like i think a lot of people, are just operating either, publicly or privately in fear that they're.
Speaker 2: Going to be left behind when.
Speaker 7: The DUST settles but, I don't personally i don't think it's going to get to. That level now it can now if CBS's report is CORRECT that the sec is going to go rogue and call its own shots, IN four years i guess we'll have to tackle that beast when they when they. Cross THAT bridge but i just think it makes sense for everybody to remain in lockstep because that's where all.
Speaker 2: The Money Is, so.
Speaker 1: Ross dellinger who does a really Good, job for Yahoo And also matt brown front Of The, SHOW extra points i kind of read what those two write and followed them as. A north star when it comes to some of the, Legislation in place tennessee passed a law without, really telling everybody like any school in our state does not have to Adhere to the house vncaa settlement guidelines, like you're exempt AND then The p four conferences drafted a, contract, that said no actually you're not allowed to follow your state law if you want to be part of. Our Launch Table The trump white house came up With A college football commission that they were going. To Solve Everything the white, house was like you're. Not doing that so now, that's on pause kind of, Like the tariffs like here. Are, the, tariffs wait no the tariffs.
Speaker 2: Are, not that no. They are that now we're going to.
Speaker 7: Roll This back nick saban was supposed to be the, face of it and right even, HE was like i don't know what, you're talking.
Speaker 1: About right exactly so there was a conversation going On That the white house was going. To get involved now that's not happening because that's kind of the deal. Walking everything back but when it COMES to The p four conferences and their desire to make sure that all of their member institutions do Follow WHATEVER the house, vnca settlement says versus the state passing laws saying that you do not have, to do that how do we traverse out? Like, who's, right like Ultimately, if you're vanderbilt If you're The, university of tennessee and you have legislation in place from your state leaders saying you don't have to follow. Any of that but Then there's the peak four conferences drafting the, contract to say if you want to be, part of us you have to sign.
Speaker 8: This and you do have.
Speaker 2: To follow it all of this feels like we're just in for more legislation and we're in for, more legal battles and the lawyers are the ones that ultimately are going to.
Speaker 7: Be, The winners correct you're going to be dealing with things that are pseudo passed tied, up in, court you know file motions and junctions and all of these, almost went there all of these court legal mumbo jumbo jargons that everyone has had to either relearn or learn for the. First time again there, WILL be, loopholes i mean. Don't, forget that like just As Recently, as march madness The State of west virginia was threatening to was threatening TO Sue THE nc Double A because west virginia was left OUT Of THE nc. Double, A tournament like i think a lot of. IT is grandstanding i think a lot of it is is going to be filled with ways around these motions and these bylaws, AND these laws i think ultimately it will boil down to games. WON'T be disrupted i don't think roster construction will be altered all that significantly until. That day, comes you Know maybe Maybe tennessee and vandy do get a. LEG up significantly i don't necessarily see that, being THE case because I think it's i think at the end, of the day you're likely to be more emboldened to side with your governing conference body as opposed to some state legislators that you.
Speaker 2: Don't really know but it. Could be wrong, so.
Speaker 7: It is we've approached it's silly season, without a doubt, and everybody is, in my opinion is.
Speaker 1: Kind, of bloviating Well and Also chris where i've, kind of, LANDED and look i don't know this, To be true and maybe we, Need congressional involvement maybe we need the highest office of the land to try to. Get INVOLVED here and i guess that was the idea. BEFORE everybody Else I, guess Cody campbell the, texas tech booster was involved In, addition to saban, as You referenced when campbell was announced as somebody who was going to kind of co. Chair the thing a lot of people, pump, the, brakes like wait we don't know that we want this dude involved because conflict Of Interest with texas tech And Then the white House That. Surrounds donald trump, they basically said we cannot get involved with this and that's why. They paused it so maybe because it is so a convoluted and complex we do need the highest office of the land to get involved to just have some sort. Of final Solution but where i've kind of LANDED is that i don't see a solution. ON the horizon i don't see the dust, settling anytime soon like maybe in four. Or five years but it feels like we have entered and are still in and will remain in this space of ambiguity, with the sport and you just kind of have to deal with it day by day and, year by year and the.
Speaker 2: Chaos, will continue.
Speaker 7: Yeah you basically took the words out of, the mouth man like this is until there is a hard and, fast rule book until, there is ways until there are ways to punish people, for you know mistakes or, Missteps or misgivings like people are just going to be able to operate the way they want to because there is. NO governing body i don't know if it's necessarily something that needs to be congressional or, even you know involved in involving the executive, branch of government like you just need to get people to come together and. Agree on something but everybody's best interests are going, to be served and those are generally involved. Their own right and it sounds really like, depressing to say but if you're speaking from like a, pure business perspective it doesn't make sense to punt on your best interests in it for the sake. Of, other people WELL and the sec and the BIG especially the sec can just basically flex.
Speaker 1: Its chest right and the other thing that maybe people have either forgotten or they never knew is the ability to enforce rules was STRIPPED FROM. The nc doublea they were thrown out of, court like hey you're a, serial antitrust violator and also you're no longer able to even enforce the rules that you. Have in place so when you hear an ANNOUNCEMENT like the SEC LEAVING, the nc doublea and look it's, twenty twenty five that's four years, down the line none of, That IS surprising like i feel like that's where we've been. Going All along but as we continue to traverse into, this new space the chasm that EXISTS between the Sec And the big ten And even the big TWELVE and the aec continues to WIDEN because the Sec And the big ten they, have the cards they have the ace, in the hole and we can complain about It as a big twelve market about what's fair or.
Speaker 2: What's not fair but this has turned into a.
Speaker 1: Game OF leverage and i think it's clear THAT certainly the sec probably, first and Foremost But the big ten, alongside of them they are, holding The Cards and brett ormar can negotiate, all he wants but if you want to be part of, wherever they're going you're probably just gonna have to follow.
Speaker 2: Whatever they say?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: That fair yeah And you mentioned.
Speaker 7: Brett your market it's going to be interesting to see what he Says During the big twelve, meetings this week because these conferences never lack, for these. Official UNOFFICIAL meetings the, Sec Had theirs big. Ten had theirs Now it's the. Big twelve's Turn he'll be i'm sure he'll be asked ad nauseum about all.
Speaker 2: Of this stuff.
Speaker 7: But we live in, a capitalistic society AND whoever, gets i, mean you know, the rule man the man with the gold makes the rules number one rule.
Speaker 2: Of the drive so.
Speaker 7: The sec the big ten get the biggest amount of dollars because they get, the most eyeballs and the media contracts are the fattest for them because most. People watch them and it is it is an interesting kind of dichotomy if you think about like professional sports compared. To college, sports professional sports for, the most part are always driven by really high. Profile urban markets college is like basically. The complete opposite like how is it that a place like, as you Know, remotest as, tuscaloosa You know or starkville can play a role, in you know these multi billion dollar. Media rights deals it's because people, will watch them and people, will you know at the end of the day pay more attention to them because they, have more. History more success and that is the reality. Of the situation and you, Mentioned the Chasm like the big twelve just doesn't have any, Established. You know goliath they have a bunch of maybe maybe it's a little low hanging, fruit to say A, bunch of david's but like they don't have anybody that's going to be Like They, have deon sanders but, Other, than that like is is anybody busting down the Door To watch Arizona State? And kenny dillingham anybody busting down the Door To watch Kyle? WHITTINGHAM and utah i mean by use a little, unique in, that and, like you know they have the HISTORIC contract with espn and you know the very, Big you know, mormon population worldwide but it's it's it's, who you're marketing and these other conferences just, Have such more they have so much more at their disposal compared.
Speaker 1: To. Anyone ELSE did the pac TWELVE and the acc once upon a time announced like AN alliance and I remember.
Speaker 2: That big ten was involved. In, that too yeah and it lasted, like two, weeks so.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right and the press release like we are committed, moving and no. No, you're not yeah it's. STILL so wild I Was watching pacers. Knicks last night They Referenced at benedict MATHEREN was The pac twelve Player, of THE year and i, just started thinking like when He, Was, AT arizona okay i, just started thinking in ten, or fifteen years.
Speaker 2: When you BRING up, the pac twelve the youngs are going, to be like what the HELL is? The, pac TWELVE well.
Speaker 7: The pac twelve Will Be. Wazoo oregon state you know some of these new guys like but.
Speaker 2: Like what it Was, the real yeah like A Home for west coast football and it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even Exist if Your, brett or mark are you considering ENGAGING with the acc about potentially trying to put something together there to put a contingency in place in the EVENT that the Sec and the big ten say we are taking our ball and we are going home and you're not allowed to. Come, with us uh because that appears to be.
Speaker 7: On, THE table chris i think you would need two member institutions who are very prickly at their own conference in The moment In Clemson in florida state to be willing to be front facing and forward, and, being like yes we're, all for this because those are two instance titians, who have recently either publicly or privately threatened that they may want to no longer be PART.
Speaker 2: Of the acc so.
Speaker 7: The heaviest hitters have, The MOST sway and i think you can make easily make an argument That between the big TWELVE, And the Acc Clemson in florida State and even miami would. Probably be third And like The big the big twelve just doesn't, Really HAVE anybody so i think it, would make sense but it would be it would be fascinating to talk to these guys, and just like why don't you guys all just, like sit, down you know, in a room like just, sort it out come to a come sort of come to some sort. Of common ground but, egos are. Real you know the amount of money on the table. Is very real it just seems like And and maybe I'm a maybe i'm an optimist beneath this endless.
Speaker 2: Pile Of news christopher camaraddie optimist just. Seems like it it seems, like IT'S? DOABLE am? I I mean? AM i am i being. A, LITTLE.
Speaker 1: Naive well i MEAN here's where i land On that dynamic negotiations are about one, thing always power.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Dang, It, leverage okay okay so. Write, This down kids take. Out, The pen okay negotiations are.
Speaker 2: About one. Thing it's leverage you think.
Speaker 3: Kids have pens take. Out the iPad take.
Speaker 1: Out the iPad type this in snapchat it. Or TikTok it. There you go negotiations. Are about leverage. They just are and if it's, your own life and if it's, your own job and if you want to go to your boss and negotiate a, new compensation package you better have tangible data about the value you, provide your company or you better have a job offer that, You, Can say okay i'm getting paid twenty five percent, more over here if you want, to keep me you have. To match that so negotiations, are about leverage and the leverage RESIDES with the Sec And.
Speaker 2: The big ten.
Speaker 1: It just does it comes to their inability to land in a space where an agreement. Could be FOUND it's the Acc and the big twelve complaining about the concessions they're not GETTING from the Sec And. The big ten BUT it's the Sec And the big ten saying we don't need to give you these concessions because we.
Speaker 2: Have the leverage so where's?
Speaker 1: The, middle ground ultimately, and right now the one example we do have that's tangible is THE expanded SIXTEEN t and cfp for next year twenty twenty six to, the, next cycle which as we, know right now the proposal is four auto BIDS for the Sec And, the big ten two auto Bids For the big TWELVE, in the acc one auto Bid for the. Group of six now shout out newpac twelve and then three. At large bids the Reports are the big TWELVE and the acc aren't happy with that because of the auto BIDS that the Sec and the big. Ten are receiving but If you're the big TWELVE, IN the acc i think you have to understand the leverage lies with them and you might just have to. Agree to that say you get you get half, the auto bids. We'll take two we just want to sit at your sit at.
Speaker 3: YOUR lunch table i think that's VERY accurate and i.
Speaker 7: THINK that's fair i Think until the big twelve finds a way to establish itself with the, powers that be they don't. Have any, leverage that's great it's good. Learning lesson leverage. THERE we go i have a question how much does THE rise of sec basketball add to their already, deep war chests because like it, USED to be i mean it used TO be the ACC used to I mean the big Twelve, historically big, east you know. Rest in peace but, NOW it's like I think the sec had the most amount of tournament teams and they have this. Conference IN college, so i wonder, as you know a big, college, troops guy indeed how much.
Speaker 2: Does that add to their already. STRENGTHENED war chest i don't and, YOU know this i don't think it adds, much to it only because even though college basketball is Viable Due, to march madness it's still a drop in the bucket compared. TO college, football i mean it.
Speaker 1: Can't hurt it but it's The reason Why brett yor mark was Interested in adding Yukon To. The big twelve yukon, football Is pathetic but yukon basketball is one of the top two or three blue bloods. In the country they are an, ad a beneficial tangible asset to your conference because of, their basketball team not. Their football program BUT there, Are I mean duke carolina football is better than it, used to be but there are only a handful of basketball front facing programs that really makes sense that would. Help your conference you want it to be attached to a. Excellent football Team It's, why brian santiago when he was INTRODUCED as the, byu athletic director was very front facing that, football drives us even though their economic investment is in. Their basketball, program, RIGHT so look byu basketball is going to be a top five. TEAM THIS year aj debonca right away probably will be the best player that it's ever played. In our state Do Respect to Van horne and andre, And EVERYBODY else like. Aj is different but if they Don't invest with kilani and his group the way They've invested with kevin.
Speaker 2: And, his group yeah it's awesome that you have a, Great basketball program but do you Want?
Speaker 1: To, be yukon no you Want. To be bama you Want. To be florida you get like just won. The, national championship yeah and it's interesting too because you have kind of. A clean slate you have an opportunity to take hold of this geographical footprint where currently It's kind of oregon and everybody else Like Sc Paying lincoln riley king's ransom clearly. Isn't worked out washington has to figure out you know who they are, after You know Losing. Kalin de, boor but like the possibilities, are out there you can establish yourself as. A geographical giant now it's difficult because you have to be able to win those recruiting, battles out west and you have to stave off all of these GUYS in The Sec and big ten who are coming for the players. In your state but it is a great point that like the likes of these Programs in the big twelve have the opportunity to.
Speaker 7: Seize the Moment, carp adm indeed fortune FAVORS the. BALL jp does i just don't know if anybody is good enough or if the pockets are deep enough.
Speaker 2: To do it since you brought up best c the Reports Are sc notre dame. Is going away it's not.
Speaker 1: Done very BAD So look byu utah will be preserved because there. Are, conference butts otherwise we were already in a space where it went away incrementally and could have gone away entirely if they didn't land in. The same, conference college, football to me one of the things that does separate IT from the. Nfl is rivalries we HAVE some, good nfl rivalries but there's something different about.
Speaker 2: College football rivalries is it time to? Change?
Speaker 1: That paradigm though is it time to get rid of any romantic idea of what college football is based off of how rapidly, It's all changed Because If, you're, lincoln riley like why would you schedule that game if it's going to get in the way of you winning your conference and maybe making THE expanded to i, get, The, Counterpoint Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah but this goes back to the moving target of change, we talked ABOUT like how i guess the auto if this theoretical sixteen, team tournament exists then your auto bids are your auto bids and it and maybe your strength of schedule isn't getting measured the way it historically has and. All These THINGS but, i'm, i mean like there's a reason why locally that that game is, Awesome every year, like last, year on paper that game had no reason being as good as it. Was it was and we've talked about this over and over for the. Last twenty years the one game that my wife still remembers and still talks about is the Kick six With, Auburn and alabama like it's The only time i've seen her like actually freak out during a sporting event watching watching that guy return that, Attempted field goal like if That's if That's, auburn and Vandy if It's Auburn, And iowa state and does, It, resonate now no. IT does not i MEAN there's and, i think honestly the rivalries are why will even bring. In the casuals they will bring in the likes OF you and i we will probably. If we're free we'll tune In For the iron bowl. To, Catch quarter sure i'm not really that intrigued by the IDEA of s c and WHOEVER you Know, SC in TEXAS. A and, m i mean that's that's too good. Of, AN example no.
Speaker 1: I understand the promise. And the point one, more thing here then we'll. Set you loose duke is looking, AT me like i, gotta GO bathroom and i am one dog dump in the studio away from never being allowed to bring. Him in again so We're gonna get duke outside and go. To the bathroom you you, Always, hear THIS moniker and i, use IT too but i think it's different when you look at what is transpired in college football and what could, transpire in football you always hear. The, same thing well regardless of, All the chaos Saturdays in the Fall still feel Saturdays.
Speaker 5: In the.
Speaker 1: Fall they don't If You're an, oregon state. Fan they don't If You're a, washington state. Fan they don't if you're one of these teams that have. Been left behind and if we continue to move into a space, where you know, it's simply, capitalism economic investment and anyone who's, in that group don't they don't need to make concessions, for anybody else and we'll JUST use the Sec In. The big ten and if they decide that they're going to go do their, thing and period, end of. Story that's it there will be More schools where saturdays in the fall no Longer feel like saturdays. In the fall you can make an Argument that for utah fans that for a decade Plus welcomed IN oregon AND usc and Ucla And the big, pac twelve brands and, suddenly that's gone, and due Respect It's now iowa State and k state And just and baylor and brand like, good solid programs but not the brands. That were accustomed you can make an argument it's saturdaydays in the fall around here Don't feel like saturday's in the fall like they did a couple. Of years ago and They Don't, for washington state They Don't. For OREGON state where i think this sport could find itself in Peril is if saturday's in the fall no Longer feel like saturday's in the fall for the majority of college football fan bases and they just.
Speaker 7: Feel like IT for the Sec In, The big ten saturdays in the fall need to force parents to make their kids miss their soccer, games for games they need to make them miss scheduled events because of the importance of, what it means either in person, at the tailgate in the stadium or even. On the tube after the news BROKE that the pac, TWELVE was dissolving i was actually sent if, you remember this It went, AND thanksgiving weekend i went To Both the civil War And the apple cup in, twenty four hours and talking to those fans that have, been left behind it is a stark reminder that people just because they might have gone to, a different school they might, have different colors their diploma might might say something different. That shouldn't, negate you know their ability, to you know have the money that they invest in their alma maters or the schools, that they support have. It potentially payoff, and, you're right like we are rapidly trending towards a world which we leave people, in SCHOOLS behind and i don't think we can afford.
Speaker 1: To do that great, to see, him My man. GET duke, outside i will and then you're in charge of the flyer. FOR fox birthday i want that you got. TWENTY four hours, i got, you all right wrapping it Up for a wednesday edition. Of the program halfway through, your work week one day close?
Speaker 2: To the Weekend Is? This phil collins?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 8: Who?
Speaker 5: This Is?
Speaker 2: This prince? Prince same thing? YOU know what i have an. Admission to make.
Speaker 8: This, is a.
Speaker 2: Rare rare one?
Speaker 8: Are you.
Speaker 2: READY i'm Ready i think I'm. WRONG about prince i like, MY music taste i like.
Speaker 1: My music takes i've never Been a, big prince guy and a lot OF people who i respect the love music have taken me the Task and believe prince.
Speaker 4: IS a genius i just none of his stuff ever really. Resonated with me i'm kind. OF with you I don't, dislike prince obviously just played him. ON the radio i think he's got. SOME decent songs i think it's more. ABOUT the performance i think it's more about the character, than it is like the Musical, genius with prince not that he's not like there's not good songs or if that is your like preferred, type of, music it's, not. YOU know terrible i can Listen to, a prince song but IT'S not like i don't think the quality of music that would get you to The stardom that prince has, without the character, without the performer, without The aura.
Speaker 1: The prince has The only REAL prince knowledge i Have Are the. Great chappelle skits where?
Speaker 2: Does It shoot the?
Speaker 4: Jay shoot it, and would he like legitimately asking would he have that stardom, without the skits without like the character assistance of His? Friends in hollywood like That's part of. Prince as well that's not. Discounting from, him.
Speaker 1: And see it sounded Like, that Song Studio the phil collins song That Was, in American Psycho the. Christian, bale movie yeah that's what it sounded like, a little bit.
Speaker 2: A little. Bit all right what do you? THINK about.
Speaker 1: TONIGHT i, badly i, MEAN of course I want the knicks to get back into it because it's just been So fun watching nick playoff basketball in A way that i haven't like. TWENTY five years i Would really Like Minnesota and new york to. Extend these series, do, You? Think man okay see when they're building. Is really lit it reminds Me Of, the delta center reminds Me of like. Jazz playoff basketball they're so. Good at home Do You Give minnesota mike tyson? Uppercut chance tonight.
Speaker 2: But that was kind Of the.
Speaker 4: The prince thing, by The. WAY in minneapolish i Like it because i'm hoping for. THE same thing i just want to. SEE seven games i want to. SEE competitive series i kind Of Feel like oklahoma city. Closes Out Tonight.
Speaker 2: But i'm.
Speaker 4: I'M With you i i'm cheering. For the alternative i'd like to see, a competitive game. A COMPETITIVE series but i Just think the minnesota is kind of battling up. Hill right now, and you know if You Got the julius randall that you saw at certain parts of the season, and you, know early, postseason then yeah you probably. Have A chance but i think that is less likely. Than than not now that's the beautiful.
Speaker 5: Part.
Speaker 4: About basketball man minnesota has a roster that, if they're on if the, shots are.
Speaker 3: Falling they can beat anyone. Any given night so do they.
Speaker 5: Have?
Speaker 4: A CHANCE absolutely do I think s G a M vp and. OKAC advance tonight i kind of dos That's the. Way, I'm leaning yeah i'm.
Speaker 1: Probably with you and, BY the way I don't think i fully Realized How corny.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma city is it's like that, there they're, stars, their team corny corny.
Speaker 3: Group, of dudes, well they're young they're like.
Speaker 4: They're they're they're this generation of kids, who you know kind of lean into as you, were talking about like they. HAVE that commercial i think they're all like all on. TikTok, and whatnot uh there's a little. Bit of that there's a little bit of that, where, like postgame, uh the interview there's some stuff that feels. A little contrived there's stuff Like, That With, Donno Ben karl anthony, Towns Does it jason tatum really bad with some of that stuff where it seems like you're like thinking about what people are gonna tweet while, you're being interviewed, and, to me like, you know whatever do your?
Speaker 2: Thing fair? Enough fair enough?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 3: That, Wrong, NO no no I mean.
Speaker 2: LOOK i'm old. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I'm, with you Well Like the, stefan diggs stuff don't video everything you're doing and release it to the masses like it's only going to come back.
Speaker 2: To BITE you.
Speaker 1: AND i don't i don't love the whole like performance kind of. Everything, feels staged, yeah you know. EVERYTHING is performative i feel like all of. Politics. IS performative now i feel like all of life is about filming. EVERYTHING you're doing i don't need to watch you make. A turkey, SANDWICH and yes i have my free agency to turn. The video off but when it comes to what all of these, young, athletes DO like don't i don't Enjoy watching chet homegrin on TikTok doing the.
Speaker 2: POP and lock i.
Speaker 3: Think, it's, corny well yeah you do have the free agency.
Speaker 4: Turn it off but now it's like part of, ESPN's, social strategy right it's You Log onto sports center and, Whatever his name omar or whatever is sending out videos of like things that have nothing to, do with sports but it's an, athlete doing it so it does have something to, DO with.
Speaker 3: Sports i, guess and, YEAH for me.
Speaker 4: I genuinely couldn't. Couldn't care less that's an avenue of THE business that i have very intentionally. Steered away, from but yeah, like you mentioned there's a performative aspect to, it for, me You, know like donovan IT'S almost like i mentioned it last week when YOU'RE playing two k and your answer to an interview question is LIKE. Circle triangle x feels like that with a lot of, these YOUNG players and i think a lot of it is the environment that they grew up in, the social sphere that They, grew up yeah.
Speaker 1: YOU nailed, IT i MEAN i guess i have a hard time faulting young people who are raised with cell phones as their babysitters and, they're best friends like that's.
Speaker 4: JUST the deal i heard an interview with a teacher recently who and this is, not sports related but they told me that kids.
Speaker 3: Have changed in the.
Speaker 4: Last ten years, children, have changed right which this is kind of. Scary to me they said that, TEN years ago i was just like seeing kids. Living their lives now school is the kids pausing, their real life which is on a tablet.
Speaker 2: Or an iPhone ah huh interesting and.
Speaker 4: THAT is uh i DON'T know how i, feel about that because those are the people who are spending the time.
Speaker 5: With.
Speaker 1: The kids yeah no's that's. An interesting, point and look final thing and then we'll. Say good night i'm sure people are already rolling. Their eyes here when we started to monetize social media and influencers, became a thing.
Speaker 2: The brand the toothpaste was out, of the tube.
Speaker 1: And so now everybody wants to. Be AN influencer and i think influencers are the ills. OF our society i cannot stand this. Group of people but it's also a way that a lot of young people make their way.
Speaker 2: Through the world they pay their.
Speaker 1: Bills this way and once we Started to Monetize facebook And, instagram and twitter and we said, to young people you can actually get paid a lot of money if you are front facing and performative by filming everything you do and then sending it out. To the masses that's, when everything changed and we're. Not going back so it's just the world.
Speaker 5: That it is.
Speaker 4: We're not influent the word influence, is. Different now spence influence used to be like something, you garnered through LIKE power or.
Speaker 3: I don't know even.
Speaker 4: What it is now it's just whatever some brand is willing to pay you to put their product out there and pretend that.
Speaker 3: You like it PROMO code price, espn, seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Indeed indeed say you can get fifty bucks when you play your first. Five, dollars lineup no IT'S like whenever i hear they're, gonna ban TikTok how people are paying bills. On that platform now you'll get sued up. The WAZOO Anyway sports nhl hockey, ON Our, station nba basketball and the fan let's get out of your portal.
Speaker 2: Comes our Way on a thursday Edition.
Speaker 4: Of the Radios on a Thursday Edition, Of The drive andy larson stops by talking some, jazz off SEASON probably, some nba PLAYOFFS maybe some rsl go all over the Map With. One andy larson dave mcminnimon stops by for our weekly. Hit WITH Him The, Nba Daily assist bill armstrong met with the, media this, afternoon in fact while we're on, air right now so we'll play back some of that SOUND As the utap mammoth have signed a few new players, this off season and we're gonna catch. Up with you recently Signed The Newest new orleans Saint Former. Ute, trail, birches nice. Nice always good Catch.
Speaker 1: Up with terro we'll, say, good night special, Thank you, Today Tim, McMahon Neil, Smith jason Christ chris com ronnie forddie the sound you, may, have, miss, basketball. Football soccer hockey we covered, all of it which is what we try to do, on the show even though some of you. Don't enjoy that. THAT'S our goal Espn seven hundred sports dot com. Is the website the mobile app is free. For your consumption IT'S the way i listen. To our station IT is the espn seven hundred App App store google, play as well and then for, what we do check out. The podcast page so instead of complaining about what we're talking about, in real time you can go listen to whatever part of the. Show you Want It's called The. Drive with spence check its and it's available wherever you. Get, your show, subscribe rate reviews say nice things, in the comments give us.
Speaker 8: All the.
Speaker 1: Stars it helps. He's Poor dr i'm spence, saying to Night enjoy. Your wednesday EVENING enjoy some nhl hockey coming up on. The other side we'll talk to you tomorrow Right Here on The. Drive with spence CHECK it's on espn seven hundred. Nine two fem we are proud to Be PART Of Utah. Espn radio network