Speaker 1: Welcome to the God's Eye View Podcast. I am your host, Trevor. Kind of a gimmicky episode today. I'm not gonna lie to you. It's not the deep stuff we normally do. It's just a kind of casual We'll be talking about the Fermi paradox. There's other bigger things I should be getting into right now. You know, there's this new anti matter discovery. There's all these new physics things that are interesting. But I've just been too busy. I'm not I don't know enough about them. So I'm outsourcing my work to some short explainer clips on YouTube and then we'll kind of discuss them. I think we'll still be really interesting, maybe more interesting, you know, maybe this is better. We'll see. So just been going and hard, you know, at work, which is good. I go like, I oscillate. I'll be trying to coast for a little bit at work, and then I'll get manic. I'll be working like fourteen hours a day. I'll be like two am. I'll be staring at my laptop screen and I'm like, oh my god, I have to go to bed, and then I stop. Anyway, I wish I could share the idea you're not supposed to share like active proposals, it's technically supposed to be confidential, but it is sort of related to these ideas I think I've shared in the past about you know that some blood pressure medications might have these other secondary effects that might be good or bad, that are completely unrelated to their effects on lowering blood pressure. And so just kind of exploring that, and I came up away to with a way to address a really key limitation that is a problem. And you know something every reviewer brings up, something every grand and paper reviewer brings up so very excited about that. It's genius. I wish I could say more. Just just trust me that your boy came up with a really great idea today. So of course it ruins my weekend because now it's all I'm going to be thinking about. So anyway, today with the good old Fermi paradox. You guys know what the Fermi paradox is? Oh you don't, Well, here's a quick overview.
Speaker 2: Are we the only living things in the entire universe? The observable universe is about ninety billion light years in diameter. There are at least one hundred billion galaxies, each with one hundred to one thousand billion stars. Recently, we've learned that planets are very common too, and there are probably trillions and trillions of habitable planets in the universe, which means there should be lots of opportunity for life to develop and exist. Right, But where is it? Shouldn't the universe be teeming with spaceships. Let's take a step back. Even if there are alien civilizations in other galaxies, there's no way we'll ever know about them. Basically, everything outside of our direct galactic neighborhood, the so called local group, is pretty much out of our reach forever because of the expansion of the universe. Even if we had really fast spaceships, it would literally take billions of years to reach these places, traveling through the emptiest areas in the universe. So let's focus on the Milky Way. The Milky Way is our home galaxy. It consists of up to four hundred billion stars.
Speaker 1: That just a quick interruption. It really is impossible to fathom the scale of this thing we're in. This is one of the things people like about simulation theories. It sort of can account for that, you know, because we're in our everyday life, we're not used. We're not used to this type of scale, so it's hard for us to fathom. But we are used to the ability to scale extremely dramatically. Not this dramatically, but extremely dramatically in virtual environments. You know, you can make an actually huge world virtually, And there's that one video game where you can literally like go from planets plan I forget what it was called, but I mean, really, theoretically, there really is no limit. Well that's not true. There is a limit in terms of what I guess it probably it might depend there might not be a limit actually, because you know you can you can write the I don't know anything about computer science, but you could write the code in a way that well, and this is probably how I would assume all video games work. It's why we use them as an analogy. Is that you're kind of rendering the perceptual sphere of your character. So no matter how big the world is, you only ever have to account for the perceptual sphere of the character. And so assuming that you know there's vast expanses of empty space, that's very information sparse. But yet, yeah, I guess there would be some limit to how many descriptions of planets you could store in a hard drive or something. But I mean scale is very easy to explain in an information system in a real you know, in a world where this is real stuff. You know, if these rocks floating in space are actually rocks made up of some smallest divisible unit, which in and of itself to me just sounds kind of unlikely. But let's just say that's the case. It's sort of. It is hard. This isn't a great argument or anything, but it is hard to imagine this much of that stuff. Where did it come from? You know, because a godless universe, we kind of have to assume it came from nowhere, or it came from some random sequence of events. And it's like, okay, but what was the first event? Right? And why was it the first? And oh it's eternal. It's like, okay, that doesn't really solve the problem, like where did all this stuff come from? Why is it here? It doesn't need to be We can all imagine nothingness, so yeah, it's it. I find the mystery fascinating. What I'm getting increasingly frustrated with is the argumentation around this topic, because it's like, can't we just all agree that this mystery is staggering, Like it is just you cannot It's shocking how staggering the mystery is in this group of people who insist that it's not mysterious. Where does that come from? Like how I mean, no offense, I know, I just talked about I don't like arguing, but it's like gross, What a gross instinct? What a gross instinct to just like look out at the universe and be like, oh right, but you know it's mostly hydrogen and helium and basically what happened? You know what I mean. It's just like okay, yeah, that's that is interesting, But you know, where did it all come from? Why is any of it here?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Is time infinite? Is it linear? Like these deep questions to me are just like boggle the mind. It's amazing in the insistence of like, oh yeah, well, we'll figure it out someday. It's like, I don't know, I think we're really good at figuring out the description and the rule set of the world we live in, but we're hopeless figuring out where it came from. Like those are two entirely different questions. So anyway back to the Fermi Parader.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of stars, counting one per second, it would take you one hundred lifetimes to count them all. There are about twenty billion sun like stars in the Milky Way, and estimates suggest that a fifth of them have an Earth sized planet in its habitable zone, the area with conditions that enable life to exist. If only zero point one percent of those planets harbored life, there would be one million planets with life in the Milky Way. But wait, there's more. The Milky Way is about thirteen billion years old. In the beginning, it would not have been a good place for life because things exploded a lot. But after one to two billion years, the first habitable planets were born. Earth is only four billion years old, so there have probably been trillions of chances for life to develop on other planets in the past. If only a single one of them had developed into a space traveling super civilization, we would have noticed by now what would such a civilization look like? There are three categories, A type one civilizing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you get the idea, So I mean, if you're it's weird because we got a lot of different Like the ven diagram of potential explanations is really bizarrely overlapping, you know, because people who would normally really strongly disagree with each other, like people who believe in aliens and more reduction of scientists, like, they find a lot of common ground in certain ways. But I mean, basically it seems like there's a couple possibilities. One is that it is just so much scientists like to do this. They like to do this. It's almost like poetic, you know, because they're always struggling to find spirituality and what they do in their worldview because nihilism sucks, and so they will have sort of like a fern Gully Avatar kind of answer, is that a good analogy are a good anyway? They have this answer where it's like, well, life is just so much more special than we ever thought, and the chances of life arising and it's really just way the probability is just so much more unlikely than we ever could have even imagined. You know. Yeah, even if there are this staggering number of habitable planets in our galaxy, and even if many of them are much older than our own, life is just so special that we should just really feel grateful to be here. And I agree that is true. It's not really a scientific answer, you know, I mean it is, but it's couched in like all sorts of so I don't know. It's like spiritualism or not spiritualism. I don't know, but you get the idea it is true. I mean, if life is truly that unique, I mean, that is fascinating. Now I don't really like my arguments. My beliefs are sort of unrelated to the existence of life in the galaxy. I think if a totally reasonable that a creator would create a system that could lead to the emergence of life, and it could be that life emerges all over the place, it could be that life emerges only in one place, like this is not really none neither outcome would really affect my worldview. However, now that I say that if we really were and we don't know that we are, of course, but if we really were the only planet with life out of the trillions of habitable planets, like, how can you not view that as evidence of Like I can't be care about how I phrase it, Like the evidence of would say, divine intervention in our existence, you know, like all the rule set is established in a way that you know, once life gets going, it does this certain thing. It's selective pressure exists. Genetic mutations can happen and could be selected for if they're beneficial, Like give give evolution all everything, you know, give the full thing. But still, I mean, we don't know where life comes from. We don't understand a biogenesis. We don't understand just like we don't understand the first domino and the formation of the universe. We don't understand the first domino and the creation of life. Could it be that there was some sort of intervention, you know, and there's there's all sorts of miracles in the development of humanity. I mean, the merging of They wouldn't have been mitochondria at the time, they would have been a purple hylem bacterium. But you know, our anc into animal cell ancestors. If this is how it went down, we don't know. You know, at some point incorporated bacteria inside of the cell and they formed a symbiotic relationship. This is we're not pretty confident this is what mitochondria are is or ancient ancient structures or they're the descendants of ancient structures, And there is sort of this symbiosis between our cells and the mitochondria, which are almost like I mean, you could call them almost like parasites, except they're much more beneficial than they are harmful, you know, so it's a symbiosis. So that is completely unique. You know, we've never really seen anything like that, and so that almost seems like, you know, could there have been interventions at various time points, you know, just the creation of information bearing molecules like DNA that i've been introduced. Now, when you say stuff like that, I think the instinct for people is to think like some other alien race introduced you know, DNA, and who knows, I mean, who knows. But at the very least you got to say, hey, rationalist reduction is like, you got to stop being so confident. It's really becoming a problem. And I feel like they kind of retreated for a while, but I feel like now they're back, you know, I've seen a lot more confidence with the rational reductionist types. Anyway, So a paper came out recently. It's kind of a weird paper, but hesitate to even call it a scientific paper. It's more like an opinion. But Sabine Hastenfelder, our friend with the thick accent, reviewed it. So let's listen.
Speaker 3: The Fummi paradox just got so much worse. One of the most plausible explanations for why we've not yet heard of other intelligent species has been that technological civilizations eventually develop artificially intelligent systems, and it's not intelligent to populate the galaxy, they lose interest basically, But in a new paper, physicists now our use quite convincingly. I think that this is wrong. This isn't just interesting because of the Fermi products, but because it generally tells us how our ratitude to space trouble has been changing. The Fermi proaducts is the question of why we haven't yet found aliens. So maky Way has hundreds of billions of stars. We now know that planets are common, and that many planets are quite plausibly in the habitable zones of their stars. Indeed, many of those planets should have formed billions of years before Earth. So why haven't we heard of any other intelligent species? Other civilizations should have had plenty of time to spread through the galaxy, build visible technology, or at least leave traces, but we haven't heard or seen anything from anyone. There have been lots of different explanations, for example, that the emergence of life is just incredibly unlikely, all that habitable planets are much rarer than we think. But one of the explanations that's attracted the most attention is that advanced civilizations simply lose interest in space travel because it's, on a basic level dumb. Space travel is expensive and inefficient and just exactly what is the purpose anyway? Humans currently attempt to travel in space for irrational reasons. So the argument goes because of national pride, because they believe that more humans are better than fewer humans, or because they don't fully realize just how incredibly large the distances are between solar systems and how long it take us to travel there.
Speaker 1: Or because we like GPS navigation. This kind of this is like such a dumb argument. Now Sabine is just laying out a counter argument. This is not her position, but it's got to be, you know. Speculating about the Fermi paradox in this way to me is like so dumb because it's so culturally colored, you know, like it has so much to do with your cultural lens. There is an unfathomable number of reasons why a civilization might want to be in space right that we can't even comprehend. I mean, technologies emerge out of nowhere and we never even thought about it before, and now suddenly they're like the most important thing. Like, for example, she mentioned or maybe she's about to mention. I don't know, this is the second time I'm watching this, but she either just mentioned or was about to mention that once you figure out AI, there's no reason to go to space. AI is so useful. And it's like, lady or whoever saying this, we didn't even know about AI a couple like a few years ago. So like, could it be that maybe you're just saying this because it's a culturally relevant topic to you right now? Like could there not be some other future culturally relevant developments in space, you know, exploration, There are planets in our Solar system that we can go to, for example.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I just think this is so dumb, and it reminds me I want to talk to you guys about something. At the end. It's like it's like financial advice. No, sorry, it is not. It is unequivocably not financial advice, but it is related to finances, So we'll talk about that letter.
Speaker 3: Once the civilization develops artificial intelligence, they grow out of the silly ideas, so the argument goes, and instead they make their life cozy on their home planet, space traveling in virtual reality. Populating the galaxy requires too many resources with little resultant. This ultimately not sustainable. A related argument has it that civilizations just take it slowly for some billion billion years because computation becomes thermodynamically easier than quite the argument, seeing that I can't plan a had enough to reliably water the plants in any case, I've always found this an interesting argument because it basically pitches Elon Musque against himself. It leads you to expect that at some point groc will begin to argue against SpaceX. Okay, but now here comes the new paper. The author argues that this earlier argument is fundamentally flawed. He says that once the civilization has artificial intelligence, robots and space factories, space exploration doesn't require big and fast machines. It can be done with plenty of small, cheap spacecraft, and with machines that need neither food, nor air nor motivational posters. And that just makes the fermi products so much worse beca because now you have to ask not just well, why haven't we received any electromagnetic signal from the aliens? But why have we not found any of their space probes? Why are they not here? The author gives multiple reasons for why space exploration is rational, most importantly the preservation of the species and possibly other species, knowledge, preservation, and scientific observation. If the cost of small probes is small compared with the value of these factors, then it makes sense.
Speaker 1: The author, I think we'll enterrate there. This is obviously true. Now, this is not a scientific conclusion. This is just someone sharing their opinion, you know. But the opinion is incredibly logical, right, Like the idea that like, oh, people will just lose interest in space, It's like, well, more likely as technology improves, you'd become more interested in space because the cost to access it would decrease, both the financial cost and the costs to life if you don't have to send to humans. It reminds me of this idea of van is a von nou Van what me? Uh? Is it von Noyman probes? I don't know if I'm saying that, right, It's just this idea that you know, with sufficient technology. You could build a probe that you launch and it's AI or whatever, and uh, it mines the needed materials from asteroids and duplicates itself with three D printers or whatever. Right, like just infinite timescale technology constraints are pretty pretty small, right, and so it'd be like this like self replicating explorer and there'll just be buillian, I mean, exponential growth in these probes and they'd fill the galaxy, you know, looking for life, and we'd run into one of them. And so yeah, this of course makes a ton sense. Now she goes on to make it the point that we don't have any We would never know if that were the case, because I think people kind of have this misconception that we're like really looking out into the space and there's radars set up that track everything.
Speaker 2: This is not true at all.
Speaker 1: There are there's ACCID, there's object tracking, but you would there really would be no way to distinguish between you know, an asteroid and like a passive prob. Now, if something's zipping around out there, maybe and if it's big yeah and close, then yes perhaps. But anyway, so it doesn't sound like it's related to the normal topics are show covers. But it kind of is because the Fermi paradox is a kind of a problem. You know, if life can emerge through these mechanisms that we propose, that rational reductionists propose, and there are so many habitable planets and so much time has transpired, surely there should be life on these planets. And maybe there is. I mean, this is a big focus of an ass right now, trying to bring rocks back from Mars. I really like, and this was what I wanted to bring up at the end here. I really like this company called rocket Lab and they're self funding a mission to Venus to scoop up some atmosphere because there was some paper that came out a while ago that claims through spectral analysis that they're finding particular compounds in the atmosphere of Venus. How do you say that Venusian atmosphere, I don't know the atmosphere of Venus that is pretty strong evidence of like microbial life. So they're trying to go do that. And so that is actually the financial thing I wanted to bring up. I know, honest to goodness, more about commercial space flight than probably any other thing I talked about on this show, and I've never brought it up because it's like a very niche interest. But you know, over time, I feel like I'm learning to know you all. You guys have been sending me emails and stuff. It's so cool. So I do feel like I have to share this other passionate interest of mine. So I don't know, I don't know if it's my age or what. But you know, you had, like when I was a kid, you had the space shuttles all very exciting. It was a part of like scientific triumphalism, you know, is, hey, we're doing the human genome project, We've got the space shuttles, We've got like procuring everything, we're colonizing the solar system. Like, clearly the worldview that gave rise to this is a worldview that is worth taking seriously. And so when it sort of began to oppose the religious worldview, you know, you feel like, well, you've got to go with the scientific worldview. I mean, look at it. You know, who doesn't want antibiotics, you know, And so of course that's a total incorrect way of Now we know, I think as a society that this is a strange way to view the issue. But at the time it seemed compelling, but then we just stopped being good at that. We just stopped doing it for you know, whatever reason. So I guess, you know, some credit to Elon not you know, not to get political. Uh he started a you know, he sold PayPal, started a company that that's pretty impressive. You know, they've done some pretty cool stuff, really cool stuff. Anyway, they had there's an there's another competitor that they have that is so cool. So I encourage you, if you're into this stuff, to look into it. People assume, you know, SpaceX is only competitors Blue Origin, and the only reason Blue Origin gets any attention is because it's Jeff Bezos's company. They basically what they do is they just steal money from the taxpayer and do nothing with it. In my opinion, they get these huge government contracts, they fail at everything. You know, the rocket just blew up the other day. In decades have gone by, it's just like just builking the tax payer. You know, I think they legitimately want to do the things they're trying to do. It's just ineffective. But you know, Bezos, he's an influential, connected person, so he's able to just keep getting the money, and that all applies to Elon Musk as well. But you know, their company has been like really effective, you know. So, but there is another company, well there's hundreds of other companies, but there's one other serious company that is just ran by a regular dude, some New Zealander Kiwi, who just was a kid into rockets, you know. And this company is so cool. I'm kind of pitching it right now honestly because he's just so impressive. So check him out. Just go on YouTube search Rocket Lab Peter Beck interviews, and it is that what they're doing is so cool. They're kind of getting into defense stuff, which you know, it's like, oh, do you really want to invest in a defense company? But they're very much focused on missile interception, so I guess that's nice. I don't know, I'm probably just justifying it to myself. But he is funding a mission to Venus too. You know. They put stuff in orbit around the Moon. They've they're sending stuff to Mars, so it's a very legitimate company. They they're coming up on their one hundredth rocket launch here momentarily. But the financial aspect of this the only reason I have any money at all. To the extent that I do is because of this company. I bought with a very small amount of money, like a thousand bucks less than that I invested in this company when it was three dollars a share, and so it's now like almost ninety. It went all the way up to one hundred and fifty, but it's it's down. Basically, what happens is everyone just kind of mirror SpaceX in the short term, but then over the long term, you know, the better companies sort of differentiate, differentiate. So RockA labse pretty consistently growing. They just bought like a Starlink competitor, like a satellite manufacturer. So it's pretty cool. So I don't know, if you're into finance, check it out. I'm not recommending you invest in it because it's you know, you it's had an amazing, like generational run. Like I wish I had put every penny I had. Just think if I had put ten grand let's do some quick math about it at three So say I put ten grand in at its peak, it would have been worth well ten X would be thirty. So that's one hundred thousand times five half a million, Is that right? If I put ten grand in at three would it be half a million? I feel like that's not right. This is the worst show I've ever done. I'm sorry, but I have to know. I have to. I need to. This is what I want. I want to steer at my ceiling all night. I just want to look at the ceiling and go, you idiot? Why were you? Why were you broke? Why couldn't you be have had ten grand, if disposable cash to invest ten thousd times fifty? Right? Yeah, yeah, oh that's stupid. Of course it's five anyway, So yeah, I would have had half a million dollars, but alas I was poor. So anyway, I see it going back to one fifty someday, but probably probably a couple of years. Anyway, they're getting ready to launch a much bigger rocket, so checking out look up that it's supposed to be this year. So anyway, so I guess that's it for our episode. The I think the important the part of this that relates to what we like to talk about is the Fermi paradox. Scientists now kind of like to dismiss it because I think it does have religious implications, or at least you could interpret it as such.
Speaker 2: But it's not bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, there there, it's it is sort of true, although you know, you can now people will argue, well, well, actually maybe there's not as many habitable planets as we think, but we have pretty good evidence there is. So it's like, yeah, maybe that number is wrong. You know, maybe the air bars are wide, but there's a lot, like a crazy amount. And if you have a crazy amount, no matter how improbable the emergence of life, or you know, the necessary steps to cause the emergence of life, then there should be life somewhere, and if it's much older than us, it should be you know, selective pressure. If selective pressure should be somewhat similar at least in some habitable planets to how it would work here. Right, And so really I think the position you have to retreat to is well, maybe we just can't find it, and that is a good answer, you know. But this paper is saying like, well, that doesn't really make sense either, because if there are advance civilizations, surely there are some more advance than us. It just seems totally natural that one of those civilizations would be spacefaring and we should be able to find it. But again, the argument still stands. You know, maybe we just it's they're too far away or whatever. So I personally wonder, I kind of wonder if there just really is not a speck of life anywhere in the planet. I don't think that's or anywhere in the planet, anywhere in the universe. I it seems impossible to me. It seems impossible. But I do wonder. Imagine if we knew that for sure, that nowhere in this essentially infinite universe with trillions of habitable worlds, was anything that looks like life, certainly advanced life, right, that would be pretty cool. I mean, in a way, it's kind of sad, right, But to me, that's like, Okay, obviously something special happened here. But then people go, you know, well, why would why would God make this huge universe just to put life in one spot? You're thinking about it wrong, in my opinion, if you're thinking about this like this creator that had to like for his teeth and try really hard to build this thing, and it took energy and power and time, and if you're viewing it with those very human eyes, like the way we might view building a house, right, and imagine we build a built a three hundred square foot house just for me and my wife to live, and someone would be like, what why did you build this? You know, this house you could you could turn into a seven forty seven factory. Why did he build a house this pic? I think that is a very human perspective of how to look at creation, which makes sense we're humans, but that I don't think that's the right perspective. I think, you know, if you view it more like a virtual environment, it would be totally reasonable to design this really like law constrained, fascinating system and then just put life in one spot because you want to pay attention to it and it's interesting and unique, right, and you're timeless, so you do you do one thing at a time. You know, I don't know who knows one of the one of the many many mysteries that I will never get an answer to. You know, the quote we say on here a Lot is I don't have it exactly right, but it's it's like, you know, I forget how the quote goes. But it's like we're asking all these questions. We're asking, we're asking, we're asking, and one day we're going to die and we're either going to get the answer where we're going to stop asking. Isn't that just the absurdity, the absurdity of it. But listen, all the absurdity, all the absurdity will be fine if it turns out there is more than this. If there isn't, I'd rather believe there is, because I'm not sure I could face that just cold nihilism. And I love the idea, like, oh no, it's good. It means just you just got to enjoy it, you know, it's kind of this like hedonistic, like just maximize pleasure and love and connection. And yeah, that's true, you should do that. However, in a meaningless universe is totally irrelevant. You know, you're not you don't get to take any of it with you. It's it's very fleeting. I still agree it's the right approach, but intellectually it's not satisfying at all. And it's funny. I read Wisdom too on here go back and find it. I actually recorded the audiobook of Wisdom, the Book of Wisdom from the Judo Canon. It's not the pot Well, the Protestants view it as part of the Apocrypha. The Catholics view it as the Second Canon. You know, it was a part of the Greek septuagen so they view it as scripture. It's all complicated anyway. Most likely the first Christians viewed it as scripture, so the Catholics viewed a scripture. And you read Wisdom too, the second chapter of the Book of Wisdom, and the author is having this argument. He's having this exact conversation, and he's pitching those people as the bad guy, the like, the morally corrupt, the people saying like, hey, we're here for a brief time, you know, we just need to enjoy it. You know, why live this disciplined, disciplined life, you know, just enjoy things while you can sing your song, while you have air in your lungs. Basically like and there's an element of that that I think is true. But it is funny because this was written, like a you know, at least fifty years before the crucifixion, and they basically describe the crucifixion perfectly. It's interesting. I'm surprised atheists don't pick that up and say, like, oh, oh, the Gospel writers were just trying to fulfill that prophecy or something. I've never heard that argument. But as someone, if you believe it's true, which I do. It's like pretty powerful prophetic message, so check that out. Here's the plan I'm going to start. I don't know. It's a lot of work, so I don't know. This might be another failed business attempt, but I'm going to start posting audiobooks somewhere for our publishing company to be determined, probably Substack if they I don't know if they have a good audio inner for listening to books, so I'm trying to figure that out. But so folks who subscribe to the Substack, it's like five dollars a month would get access to all the audiobooks forever, you know, But I don't know, five books a month it seems kind of steep. It's not like I'm going to be cranking them out all the time. So I don't know. We're still thinking, but stay tuned for more announcements on that point. And thanks for listening to the God's iView podcast. Email me at God's iView book at gmail dot com. Stay safe out there, everybody. It's a crazy world. God bless