Speaker 1: Keep it going, John Shannon, well done, well done. Operation Midnight Hammer.
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 1: The strike that took place over the weekend as the United States struck Iran? Or is that the name of the latest WWE pay per view Operation Midnight Hammer. Could be a lot of things, but maybe that's just me. Anyways, It is seven o five here, Kentucky in his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. We've got John Allen alongside today Scott Fitzgerald with the sports. We'll have another sports update coming your way in about twenty minutes, and of course you just heard John Shannon there. We are going to be joined coming up in roughly ten minutes by another guest. It is Ali Piccoran of ABC News. She's going to join us to discuss the obvious, and that is the situation as the United States has has intervened here and is not at war with Iran, they want to make that pretty clear, but certainly at war with the nuclear programs that Iron has. And course, as I've said throughout the morning here probably isn't something that needs to be said as much as I have said it, but why not reiterate because I think many are sharing opinions on this, and look, I think it's it's expected that people would have strong opinions one way or another about the decision that Donald Trump made. But you know, as far as what really plays out the rest of the way, as far as where this goes good or bad, it's it's completely unknown at this point, but certainly something We're going to keep you updated as best we can here at NewsRadio eight forty whas. At times I've thought to myself, as this is this real, meaning just you know, some of the things that have taken place in this world, not just this country in recent years.
Speaker 2: But whenever I mean, I'll take you back to the this is I guess.
Speaker 1: Week two for me, whenever I was making the transition here to news Radio eight forty WHS, we had some coverage of an internet fight that you don't often see, maybe the most powerful man in the world, Donald Trump, and maybe one of the one of the most of one of the most wealthiest men in the world, and Elon Musk and they're having their they're having their internet fight and and throwing some big time jabs at each other. Obviously some big time accusations made on both sides, and I remember one of the first responses that I saw was that when you consider just what was what was said back and forth and a brief amount of time on a social media platform that Elon Musk owns. I mean, a WWE storyline that would probably take like a year and a half to play out, it played out in about forty eight hours on the internet. It's one of those moments where you think, Okay.
Speaker 2: Is this is this real?
Speaker 1: Is this is this this just there's no way we'd have these people of of of the status that they have fighting on the internet. But it happens, and uh yeah, the I swear whenever. Let's go back to the presidential debate, this was of course.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously, any any residential debate's going to get a lot of attention because it's important, right, You're going to hear from both sides, and it's a big decision to make, right as far as who we as a country decide is going to be the leader that's going to be the president. But this exchange between Trump and Biden, it kind of you I trust me, I'm not trying to correlate everything to professional wrestling, and I hope you guys can can understand, you know, you can sense the sarcasm here, But this, this exchange really happened. As I'm reflecting on just various things over the years that wow, you didn't. I don't know if I would have expected had you told me five six years ago, that you'd have, you know, this back and forth between two people that are fighting to become or at least you know, one person was trying to maintain the spot as president and Trump was trying to get it back.
Speaker 2: But this was in fact real.
Speaker 4: I'm having sex from a porn star on the night image every while.
Speaker 1: Your wife was training it.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? You have the morals of an alley cat.
Speaker 3: I didn't have sex with a porn star.
Speaker 1: I mean, you would think that that was doc that was not real. And if I'd have said ten years ago that will be in exchange between two candidates to be the president of the United States, I don't think for a second you would believe me. But here we are, so again we'll talk coming up here shortly and get the latest because again I'm sure it's a continuously developing situation. But again we'll talk with Ali Picoran. She's an ABC News correspondent. She's going to join us coming up here at seven fifteen, but before that, we've got another update on traffic and weather right here at Kentucky and is Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas it is seven fifteen here Kentucky and is Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, and we are now joined by ABC News correspondent Ali picorin Ali. When it comes to Operation Midnight Hammer and the reaction from leaders here in Congress, I think from my perspective, it seems as if the reaction on both sides with was as expected, just given the current temperature in the climate of politics right now. But I guess was there any reaction that you felt like was a surprise as far as reacting to what took place over the weekend.
Speaker 4: I think that your assessment of it is largely fair.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's pretty typical that we would expect to see Republicans largely falling in line with President Trump's actions. Will Democrats suppose what he's doing, and I think pretty across the board, that's what we've seen. But I will say there are a number of Republicans that have had no worthy reactions to this action that they do feel that President Trump has overstepped his authority here by unilaterally acting in Iran over the weekend. Congress, as you know, has an authority to declare war, and so the debate that's going on on Capitol Hill right now is whether these targeted strikes on Iran nuclear site constitute a war action that Congress would have needed to authorize, as opposed to President Trump's acting under this authority that the Constitution grants him to take action and there's an immediate threat against the United States, and so that's a debate that's going to be playing out pretty aggressively on Capitol Hill this week.
Speaker 1: I know you can't speak for anybody but yourself, but did it seem as if the emphasis yesterday that they're not we're not at war with Iran or at war with their nuclear programs. It seems as if that there's a to me. It seems as if there may have been a real reason emphasized that because of what you just mentioned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly, it seems like, especially when we saw a President Vans out yesterday making those comments, it's certainly working to underscore this message from the administration that they don't do this as an act of war against another country. Whether that's going to actually have a fact on Capitol Hill is a little unclear, And I should say the vast majority of Republicans who control both chambers of Congress right now are very much standing behind what President Trump did this weekend. So when I say there's Republicans that are raising concerns about this, it's a pretty small group of them. But we should expect to see efforts on Capitol Hill this week to try to force the issue onto the floor. There's going to be members who want to see Congress take a vote on whether they need to authorize these strikes. They is called war powers votes. But again Democrats told them minority in both chambers. So whether either of those bills, or any of those bills get any traction, will have to see, because in Trumbull also have the ability to veto them, and I don't expect that there would be a veto proof majority on any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Ali bikorna ABC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty w h AS. When it comes to Congress, what are the what are the key concerns here as far as reaction, you know, initially from from Iran. Obviously they've let it be known that they're going to react and already have in some form or fashion. But I guess what's what's the biggest concern initially following this this strike over the weekend as far as where they think the retaliation is going to come, right, So the big.
Speaker 4: Thing from a congressional perspective is trying to esport that line of what it would mean to attack a very specific site in Iran as opposed to a larger US response. So what Iran does here will very much dictate how the United States responds to it. And so what we're seeing is a lot of Republicans coming forward and saying, look, we don't want to enter a war, but it would also be completely unacceptable for Iran to hit American assets or to injure in any way Americans or American service members. So the way that the United States responds, they say, will be dictated by what Iran does here. And there's certainly a heightened threat environment going on right now. It's a little bit unclear, and I think lawmakers are waiting for more information about how much they need to be concerned about that heightened threat environment. We would expect members to receive a classified briefing on this. They're scheduled to receive a briefing on Tuesday, kind of laying out the situation at hand, and if they get noticed that the threat environment is really escalated, then I think you could expect to see calls for greater action in BI the United States.
Speaker 1: Ellie, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's Alli Picorn of ABC News. Always good to get her thoughts on what's going on here, and certainly a lot going on. And I say, and I'm glad she did emphasize it, because this is, by the way, this is my words and nobody else's. I'm not certainly putting words in her mouth. But she mentioned that there was at least some level of maybe not pushback, but just some level of not being as supportive or maybe some just not being really supportive at all as far as what Donald Trump decided to do. But I think what made it seem surprising, even if it is a real small, very small representation from the Republican Party, I feel like any level of pushback or resistance, especially at a public way. As far as saying I don't agree. I don't think we should do this, and then obviously now it did happen. I think that just stands out because I feel like that's a rare thing in today's climate from the Republican side. But again, big thank you to Alec Picorna, ABC News for joining us. We're going to take a time out. Let you get an update on traffick and weather, and then we've got an update of sports coming your way right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is seven thirty five here, Konseucky. It is more News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. You've heard over the years, Gen Z Millennials, Generation X baby boomers, and I guess the latest is those who were born from twenty thirteen to currently, and those are that's Generation Alpha, which I got to be honest with you, I'm nowhere near in that demo because if you're born in twenty thirteen, you know you're basically your preteen. But I'd not heard of Generation Alpha. That's I mean, I would have I wouldn't have guessed that's the name. But I'm sure there's a reason as to why they've come up with all these names. But the reason I bring this up is because and we'll talk a little bit later with Rory O'Neill of NBC News about this, but there's a study that shows that gen Z leans more conservative, and a lot of that is believed to be I guess surprising to some, and it's it's you know, one of the factors is because of how the pandemic was handled. So gen Z is those born nineteen ninety seven, between nineteen ninety seven and two thy and twelve, which means we've got a gen Zer within the program here, because that's that's John Alden. But you are just two things. One, you're barely gen Z, you're leading the charge.
Speaker 2: You are a year.
Speaker 1: Away from being a millennial like myself, because eighty one to ninety six is the is the age range there, But gen Z is ninety seven to twenty twelve, so people that are thirteen to twenty eight. And I do think when you consider that age range, a lot of folks on the older end of that of that demo were I guess forming their real opinions of politics. Maybe around that time. Not everybody certainly, but I wouldn't be shocked at all. If if you're you know, you're you're teenager, you're you're just getting out of your teenage years, and you know, a global pandemic is something that happens once every one hundred years, So there's there's no way to really know when it's going to happen and what you can expect as far as how the country handles it. But obviously the way in which it was handled by the Biden administration at the time was not great in the eyes of a lot of people. And to be fair, I mean, there was some lying about stuff that we've later learned, which is which is, you know, not a good look by any means. But then I don't know, I was going to give. I was going to give somewhat of the benefit of the doubt when it comes to well, you know, let's just be real, we're all kind of learning on the go here. We've never encountered this type of virus before, we've never been here. You know, you're trying your best, but the reality is that nobody really knows because again, this is not something we've ever encountered.
Speaker 2: Before as far as this specific virus.
Speaker 1: But again, we later learned that some of the things they told us that they knew weren't true, But anyhow, I could see you what I want to. The reason I wanted to bring this up is because I think the surprise from folks about gen Z being more conservative than they would have expected, it really shouldn't be that surprising, because I do think when you were in that age range where you're you're seeing something play out like that at a very impressionable age, and now here were you are years later. Let's be honest, A lot of people, a lot of people don't care. I'm sure a lot of people are strongly defending the way it was handled by the Biden administration and Fauci and whatnot. But then there's also others that just look back and say, what did we were we doing?
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 1: We had a lot of things shut down, we had a lot of lives impacted, And yes, you can easily just say, well, hey, we were trying to keep everybody safe, and that's not a lie. I mean, tough to know the true motives of every decision that was made during such an important time, but that's an easy thing to put out there, and you know it's legit to an extent. The extent of how much that's true, we'll never know for sure, but looking back, like some of the things we did, I'm not the only one I'm sure that fails, like, yeah, that was probably not necessary. We probably didn't need to, you know, shut down the world quite like we did at that time. So I'm not bringing it up to try to go back in time and dunk on those who made the those decisions.
Speaker 2: But I do think.
Speaker 1: The not only the handling of the of the coronavirus and whatnot, and just the pandemic, and of course the election that took place in twenty twenty, and of course the one that just took place here recently, I'm not at all surprised that a younger, impressionable demo at that point without even maybe giving it much thought, Like I don't think it would to me. I would not be surprised if those who just now realize they align with being conservative, and they are aligned with being Republicans. I'm sure there's many that it's not based off of their family or how they were raised. It's just they made the decision for themselves because of how they saw things playing out.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 1: I think there's some that will say, well, my goodness, they just they're so entertained by Donald Trump, the way he carries himself and you know, grab her by the you know what, like all these young idiots. They just think that's funny. And I'm sure there is an there's a segment of that is that does identify that way as far as just thinking, you know, guy, he's he's a loud mouthed and he you know, he's in the he's been in the WWE before, like, But then also I think there's others that it has nothing to do with that aspect. It's just they were able to see how things played out and they maybe without even really giving it a whole lot of consideration, they just realized where they where their beliefs are. So I don't think it's that big of a shock. But of course it's in the news because it's being shared as well. A surprise here, gen Z is more conservative than people expected. All right, we've got traffick in weather coming your way. We'll get to another sports update in about fifteen minutes. What I want to get to on the other side, though, is just how how much should we be worried about the dark Web and passwords being exposed, and it's if you're somebody that's never been worried about it before, you may want to be mindful of it right now because we are expected to have one of the biggest data breaches we've ever had in America. So again we'll get to that on the other side right here on news Radio eight to forty whas I will admit I am guilty of logging in one of the many things I log into each and every day, and logging in for me is just clicking log in. I don't have to enter a password or a username because it's already set up to auto say, which makes things very convenient. In fact, on my iPhone, I now have the facial recognition to where if I just if it sees my face, it logs me in automatically. It's super convenient and I at times have had You may want to reset your patsword. There's a chance that your account could have been involved in some kind of a data breach and I just ignore it. John, let me ask you this. You seem to be somebody that that would be more cautious of that than me, meaning you are you know you would avoid that whereas I would be the idiot and not if has that happened to you? And if not, would you quickly change your password?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm somebody who usually puts off putting, you know, changing their password, especially like for example, here at iHeart that ask us to do it every six months, I usually wait to do it the very last second.
Speaker 2: So I'm probably.
Speaker 3: You know, we're not the only workplace that does that, But I think you're right. I think I would be very it. It'd be tough for me to fall for something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I And there's a reason they that this is in place, you know, because they're trying their best to keep keep everything safe to where you're not having your accounts compromised and data breach. And I mean there are people that the hacking is it hacking is an industry. I mean it's it's quite literally a booming industry. And I mean how many times do you log into anything and get them I mean the amount of times you see something within any type of social media account, email, I mean, like spam bots. All of that is rooted from people trying to scam you or trying to take advantage I mean, or get your information in some way. Think about all the nonsense, all the fluff you see within everything that you are on in the Internet. I'm not talking about advertisements on web pages. I'm talking about spam. I mean, I guess certain spam can just be there just trying to flood your inbox to promote whatever it is they're doing. But like so many like if you go to Instagram or x and even Facebook to an extent, like you'll get messages from somebody that like clear like And what's what's wild to me is that like so many people fall for That's a sad thing, but it's a real thing. There's a reason that people get into the scamming business of getting your information, hacking your account because they've been able to see that there's enough vulnerable people out there to where you can get exposed. So anyway, the reason I bring this up is because we've got watchdog warnings that billions of passwords are expected in the on the dark web. Around sixteen billion passwords are reportedly compromised after one of the largest data breaches in history. This is according to cyber news loggainst to social media VPNs user accounts you know for Apple, Facebook, Google, telegram, all these different I mean even government services. So you may you may want to get some annavirus or some kind of protection out there that you haven't had before, or just change.
Speaker 2: Your passwords if you haven't, because this is one.
Speaker 1: Of those things where a lot of people and I'm guilty of being this person that would say all that wone impact me, and then it does, and you're like, oh wow, I guess I can only blame myself because they did warn us. All right, we got a traffic and weather update, come on your way. Also some more sports with Scott Fitzgerald in about five minutes right here on Kentucky. And This Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty WHS