Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep dive. Today we are taking aim at something pretty central to modern life but often really misunderstood, computer hacking. Yeah, definitely forget the cliches, you know, the dark rooms, green tech's flashing. We want to get into the real mindset, the methods, and maybe most importantly, what you can actually do to protect yourself exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think our mission here for you listening is to move past this idea that hacking is always some super complex code breaking thing. Okay, Often hacking just means well using skills cleverly to find weak spots, and overwhelmingly those weak spots they're.
Speaker 1: Human human vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: That's it. Technology is moving so fast, but the biggest threats to your privacy they're often exploiting basic trust, not some futuristic AI.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack that. Because hacker itself is such a loaded term, we probably need to define who we're actually talking about first, maybe based on like their intention the old hat analogy.
Speaker 2: Vercise, it's a good shorthand basically, have three relationships to the system you're interacting with. First, the black hats the bad guys. Yeah, pretty much, they're looking for malicious unauthorized entry. Their goal is you know, theft, damage, messing with data. They're criminals, plain and simple, no permission involved.
Speaker 1: Right. Then you've got the opposite, the white hats, ethical hackers exactly.
Speaker 2: They're the defenders, often hired by big companies think Facebook, Microsoft, Google, places like that. They're authorized to attack the system, but their job is purely to find those weaknesses and help fix them before the black hats can get there. Essential security work.
Speaker 1: So protectors basically, right. And the third type, the gray hats. They sound a bit ambiguous, they really are. They operate in this murky middle ground. They might exploit a system, find a vulnerability without permission, okay, but maybe not with purely evil intent. Often they'll tell the owner, hey, you've got a hole here, But sometimes sometimes they might ask for a small fee like a bug bounty. They set themselves to fix it, which puts them in a tricky ethical spot. Yeah, definitely a gray area. Okay, So we have these different players. But here's what blew my mind from the sources. When you look at how attacks actually happened today, it's rarely the super technical stuff. It's mostly about people. Social engineering that is.
Speaker 2: The absolute key takeaway here, it's staggering, really technical flaws. They account for maybe what three percent of successful attacks?
Speaker 1: Only three percent?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the other ninety seven percent purely based on social engineer ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Wow, So the whole game has shifted. It's not about breaking the code, it's about breaking the person exploiting our psychology, you got it, our instinct to help, maybe our fear of authority or just getting rushed into doing something without thinking.
Speaker 2: That's the target now, much more than the software itself.
Speaker 1: And within that huge ninety seven percent, there's one technique that stands out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the undisputed king is fishing. The stats suggests something like ninety one percent, nine out of ten data breaches start with a phishing attempt.
Speaker 1: Hishing. This is the classic email scam, right, trying to lure you into clicking a bad link or giving up your log in details.
Speaker 2: That's the basics of it. Yeah, but what makes them work isn't just the email itself, it's the psychology. How So they deliberately create this sense of urgency or maybe a threat or fear. Yeah, they want to trigger an emotional reaction, so you act fast before your logical brain cakes in. Ah, think about that US Tax Day scam back in twenty eighteen, emails claiming to be from the IRS demanding tax details immediately. They used fear of the IRS, the deadline pressure.
Speaker 1: To make people panic and handover info exactly.
Speaker 2: And they often use those weird shortened links or links that look legit but actually redirect you to a fake site built just to steal your credentials.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's manipulating fear. What about impersonation? How does that work psychologically?
Speaker 2: Impersonation plays on our respect for authority really, or maybe just our tendency to do what we're told by someone who sounds like they're.
Speaker 1: In charge, boss or IT support.
Speaker 2: Precisely, criminals pose as an IT executive, a manager and auditor, someone whose request you probably wouldn't question immediately. It takes more setup for the attacker, sure, but the success rate can be really high. We saw attacks like this jump almost four hundred percent of one year because people just comply.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a huge increase. And it's not just email, right, We also need to think about vishing and smashing voice and text.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, these often fly under the radar of traditional email filters. Phishing, that's voice fishing happens over the phone. The attacker calls up, tries to get credentials, or sometimes they're more aggressive. They might try to talk you into running a script on your computer or visiting a compromise website while you're on the call, and they're harder to a tract, much harder, no obvious digital trail like an email header. Remember that massive IRS fishing scam ran for years twenty twelve to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: I do remember hearing about that.
Speaker 2: Costs victims hundreds of millions, all because people believe they were talking to a real IRS agent demanding immediate payment. That fear factor.
Speaker 1: Again, and smishing is the text message version.
Speaker 2: Correct SMS fishing. They get numbers from breaches, web crawling, sometimes just random generators.
Speaker 1: And what kind of tricks do they use in texts?
Speaker 2: All sorts my promise, fake coupons or discounts, playing on greed, or they'll poses your bank, you know, urgent click here to reactivate your card, or your online account expires today, log in here to renew. Texts feel immediate personal, so people react quickly.
Speaker 1: It all comes back to that psychological manipulation. Okay, so let's say they see they trick us that ninety seven percent chance? What tools are they actually using them? What's in their like digital toolkit? Once they have that initial access.
Speaker 2: Right the toolkit, it can get specialized, but the concepts are often quite straightforward. Take keyloggers, for.
Speaker 1: Instance, teloggers the blog your keys.
Speaker 2: Exactly that They record every single key stor it you make, user names, passwords, credit card numbers, private messages, everything.
Speaker 1: How do they work?
Speaker 2: Well? Think of your operating system having this thing called an API. It's like a messenger carrying instructions. A keylogger basically attaches itself to that messenger and copies down everything you type before it even gets processed properly, usually arrives hidden inside some malware.
Speaker 1: Nasty. And what about root kits? That sounds even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the name is pretty menacing, isn't it. A rootkit is basically a collection of software tools designed to give an attacker deep remote access and control over your system. And crucially, it hides itself really well from detection.
Speaker 1: So it's like a hidden back.
Speaker 2: Door kind of. Yeah. If the key lagger is spying on your typing, the root kit is like a secret agent living in your computer, giving the hacker full control to steel files, install more bad stuff, or even crash the whole system. And again they almost always get installed through those initial social engineering tricks.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that one tool you mentioned, the vulnerability scanner, is used by both sides, black hats and white hats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's purely a tool like a hammer. White hats use scanners to find security holes so they can fix them quickly. Black hats use the exact same scanners to look for those same weaknesses, but obviously they want to exploit them. It's like checking the doors and windows before breakin.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, let's talk passwords. We hear password cracking all the time. Can we break down the main ways they actually do. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure. Think of them mostly as automated guessing games. The most famous is probably the brute force attack.
Speaker 1: That's just trying everything.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. Automated software just systematically tries every possible combination of letters, numbers, symbols abcaaab AC one two three one A one B, just keeps going until it hits the right one.
Speaker 1: Must take ages for complex passwords.
Speaker 2: They can, Yeah, that's why password complexity helps. Then you've got a variation called the dictionary attack.
Speaker 1: Using dictionary words exactly.
Speaker 2: Uses huge lists of common words, phrases, names, maybe common modifications like adding what twenty three at the end shockingly effective because well, so many people use simple words or perle patterns.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. And the third one reverse brute force. How's that different?
Speaker 2: So instead of trying many passwords against one username, reverse brute force takes one really common, leaked or weak password like password one, two three or maybe spring twenty twenty four and tries it against thousands or millions of different usernames.
Speaker 1: Ah, playing the odds that someone used that specific weak password exactly.
Speaker 2: They know a certain percentage of people will always use the easiest option. The defense against all three really is a strong unique password, ideally long random, maybe multi word makes sense.
Speaker 1: Let's shift two attacks specifically targeting websites. What's in SQL injection sounds technical?
Speaker 2: It is a bit technical, but the concept isn't too bad. Imagine a website search box or the lug in form. Those boxes need to talk to the website's database behind the scenes using a language called SQL. Okay, if the website code isn't careful about checking what you type into that box, an attacker could actually type in malicious sequel commands instead us a.
Speaker 1: Search term and trick the database.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically trick the database into doing something it shouldn't, like revealing all the usernames and passwords stored inside or customer data. It's exploiting a loophole in how the website handles user input.
Speaker 1: Gotcha and the other big web attach DIDO distributed denial of.
Speaker 2: Service that one's maybe easier to picture. It's basically just a massive overwhelming traffic jam created on purpose.
Speaker 1: Traffic jam.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The attacker uses a network of compromised computers, sometimes thousands or millions of them, called a botnet, to flood the target website or network with so much junk traffic that legitimate users can't get through. The whole service is grind to a halt, becomes unusable.
Speaker 1: Overwhelmed by noise. Okay, let's move to some specific case studies. The sources talk about something called session hijacking using cross site scripting or EXSS. Can you break that down simply?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Think about when you log into your bank account online, you navigate around check balances, make transfers. You don't want to type your password on every single page.
Speaker 1: Right right, there would be annoying.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That convenience comes from something called a session ID. Once you log in, the website gives your browser a temporary token, like a digital hall pass. This little piece of data, often stored in something called a cookie, proves to the website that you're already logged in for that session.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the hacker wants my hall.
Speaker 2: Pass precisely now. XSS. Cross site scripting happens when a website doesn't properly clean up the input fields, maybe a comment section, a user profile, somewhere users can type stuff. An attacker injects a small piece of malicious code, usually JavaScript, into that field, and then what then? An unsuspecting user, maybe even someone with high privileges like a site administrator, visits that page. The malicious script runs silently in their browser and steals their session id that hall pass.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: The hacker then takes that stolen session ID and uses a tool to basically stick it into their own browsers request to the website. The website sees the valid hall pass and things the hackers the administrator to get logged in, effectively impersonating the victim without ever needing the password.
Speaker 1: So they're logged in without actually logging in. That's sneaky, very and.
Speaker 2: That's why website security involves constantly checking and cleaning user input, encrypting those section cookies, setting them to expire quickly, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right. There was also that incredible story about Instagram. A researcher found a way to potentially hijack any account and got paid for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Laxman Maia. He got a thirty thousand dollars bug bounty from Facebook for finding and responsibly reporting it.
Speaker 1: It was clever.
Speaker 2: He targeted the password reset.
Speaker 1: Feature, the one that sends a code to your phone exactly.
Speaker 2: You get a six digit code via SMS or email. Right, But the trick is that code usually expires pretty quickly, maybe ten minutes, and Instagram, like most services, has rate limiting in place.
Speaker 1: Meaning you can't just guess codes endlessly.
Speaker 2: Right. They block you after a certain number of failed attempts from the same place, the same IP address. Yeah, but Mathia figured out a way around the rate limit. He realized he could send a huge number of simultaneous guesses, but crucially, he sent them from many, many different IP addresses, all at once, constantly rotating them. The system's rate limiting wasn't sophisticated enough to catch that distributed attack.
Speaker 1: So he could just flood it with guesses from everywhere pretty much.
Speaker 2: He calculated he'd need about five thousand different IP addresses to have enough guesses to reliably crack the six digit code within that ten minute window.
Speaker 1: Five thousand ips.
Speaker 2: That sounds expensive, you'd think so, but here's the kicker. He estimated he could rent those five thousand ips from cloud computing providers for only about one hundred and fifty US dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow, only one hundred and fifty bucks to potentially take over any Instagram account. That's sobering.
Speaker 2: It really shows the economics of these things and why finding and fixing these flaws is so critical and why responsible disclosure like he did is so important.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And speaking of mobile, let's touch on smartphones Pacific attacks. The sources mentioned they have a high success rate.
Speaker 2: They do. Yeah, the mobile threat landscape is a bit different. You know. For regular computers, hackers might use rit's remote administration tools things like nanocore or dark comet to get a control. Okay, for smartphones, especially Android, you have similar tools like androad or droi jack. They can be really effective. But phones also have that unique SMS channel that computers don't.
Speaker 1: Right. You mentioned vishing and smishing, But are there other SMS.
Speaker 2: Attacks, Yes, some quite alarming ones. There's something called the midnight rate. A simple SMS can be crafted to silently trigger actions on the phone, like opening the browser to a malicious site, retrieving devised info like its unique ID number, or even pushing malware onto the.
Speaker 1: Device, all from one text message.
Speaker 2: Potentially, Yes, and then there's the control message attack. This is even scarier. Certain types of control messages, if exploited, could potentially change core phone settings without you knowing, things like disablings security features, maybe unchecking SSL so your encrypted connections aren't actually encrypted anymore, or, in a worst case scenario, pushing a remote wipe command to erase everything on the phone. Erase everything, Yes, and imagine if that wipe command could then be forwarded to everyone in the hacked phone's contact list. The potential for damage spreads rapidly.
Speaker 1: That's terrifying. Okay, let's shift to our final section. This is something a lot of people worry about IP addresses. If someone online gets your IP address, should you panic? Are they in your system, right.
Speaker 2: This causes a lot of anxiety. Let's be really clear. An IP address by itself is just a number. It's like your house's street address, but for.
Speaker 1: The Internet, your Internet provider gives it to you exactly.
Speaker 2: It's assigned by your ISP, and it's necessary for your computer or phone to send and receive data online. Just knowing someone's ipaddress is generally normal. It happens constantly during web browsing, gaming, emailing. It's not inherently illegal or dangerous.
Speaker 1: So the danger isn't the IP itself.
Speaker 2: No, the danger only comes if someone uses that IP address to actually try and attack or violate your device or network. That act is illegal, But simply knowing the number doesn't grant them automatic access. Think of it like knowing someone's home address doesn't mean you can walk through their locked front door.
Speaker 1: Okay, that helps clarify, But how do hackers actually track an IP address if they want to target someone specifically?
Speaker 2: Well, the most reliable way to silently get someone's IP is to trick them into sending traffic directly to you or to something you control. A common method involves setting up a simple, free website. You upload a small script, often called an IP finder or logger. Then you give the target a specific link to that website, maybe disguised as a link to an image or an interesting article.
Speaker 1: And when they click it.
Speaker 2: When they click the link, their browser connects to your website to load the content. Your script then automatically logs their IP address, often along with their browser type and operating system details, all silently in the background.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now the hacker has my IP knows I use Firefox on Windows for example. What can they realistically do with just that information? What's the actual threat level?
Speaker 2: This is important for many, let's say, less skilled or amateur hackers getting that info the IP the browser is often just used for.
Speaker 1: Scare tactics, just to frighten people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll message you saying I have your IP, I know you're using Chrome, I'm hacking you, hoping you'll panic, maybe even try to extort money from you. In reality, they might not have any deeper access at.
Speaker 1: All, so it can be a bluff. What about finding my location?
Speaker 2: Geolocation from an IP address is not precise. It gives an approximate location, usually narrowed down to your city or region, maybe a few square kilometers in urban areas, maybe dozens in rural areas. It points to the general areas served by your ISP's equipment, not your specific house. Only your ISP or law enforcement with a warrant can link that IP to your exact physical address.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they don't instantly know where I live. A skilled hacker use the IP to actually get in.
Speaker 2: That's where the complexity comes in. A skilled attacker could use your IP address as a starting point. They would likely try to scan your internet router, the box connecting your home network to the Internet, looking for open ports or known vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: How would they do that.
Speaker 2: They try to figure out the make and model of your router, the software version it's running, and then check databases of known exploits for that specific hardware or software. Or if they find an administrative login page for the router exposed to the Internet, they might try a brute force or dictionary attack against the router's password itself.
Speaker 1: But that sounds difficult and time consuming.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. It's a long, complex process, not instant access by any means. Most home routers have basic security features. Default passwords should always be changed, and keeping firmware updated helps close known vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: So what's the simplest defense If I'm worried someone has my IP?
Speaker 2: Often the easiest thing is just to reboot your router. For most home Internet connections, this will cause your ISP to assign you a new public IP address. The old one becomes useless to the attacker.
Speaker 1: A simple reboot, okay. And for more robust protection.
Speaker 2: For genuine anonymity and security against IP tracking and some types of scanning, using a reputable VPN virtual private network is a good step, or for higher security using something like the TR network. These services mask your real IP address by routing your traffic through their servers.
Speaker 1: First makes sense VPNs and TR for masking.
Speaker 2: Okay. So if we kind of pull all these threads together, what does it all mean? I think the big picture is that no single piece of software, no machine, can give you one hundred percent guaranteed security, especially in a world where technology keeps changing so fast. Awareness, being diligent, staying informed, these are just essential now, particularly when as we saw, ninety seven percent of attacks are aimed squarely at our basic human instincts and reflexes.
Speaker 1: That really is the most critical takeaway, isn't It's less about fighting off some super genius coder in a basement. Often, Yeah, and more about recognizing and resisting that social exploitation using strong, unique passwords, not falling for those urgent fear based requests, being skeptical, that's your first and best line of defense.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and supporting things like responsible disclosure like the Instagram researcher did is vital too. That helps everyone become safer by getting flaws fixed before they're widely abused.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Okay, let's wrap up with a final thought for you, our listener, to take away and maybe mull over. Given that the overwhelming majority of successful attacks, that huge ninety seven percent statistic rely not on technical wizardry, but on exploiting basic human psychology, our instinct to help our deference to authority. What's one small daily habit you could change, starting right now, to make yourself less exploitable. Think about that immediate reaction you have when you get an urgent email or call from someone claimed to be your boss or the bank or IT support. Could you build in just a tiny pause, maybe a five second verification delay, before you automatically click or comply? How might that change things