Speaker 1: Hello everybody, welcome to That's Not Metal. We are your weekly rock and heavy metal podcast. We are here this week, the final week of August, for our monthly reviews roundup. I will let you know what we're going to do in that regard in just a moment. But first, it should be said, it has been a very special week here at TNM Towers for myself, Perrin Hayesh, Sam Dignon across from me. Boy were we busy.
Speaker 2: Oh what a weekend what a like from Thursday to Sunday for me was just like on a goth cloud like just treating myself to the best shit ever it finally happened I like to say everyone who heard last week heard how giddy with excitement I was that I was mere hours away from it but yes it was uh it was a hell of a weekend.
Speaker 1: It sure was. For time purposes, considering this is, as I said, our review show, we have got albums to dive into and talk about. We are actually going to, on Hyperblast next week, is when we are going to go fully divulging the details of, as we, you know, kind of started to call it, Big Goth Weekend, where we have The Cure to talk about, we have The Return of AFI, finally, to talk about, and we even had Deftones, all points east slash outbreak and everything else that was on that bill to talk about as well so we're going to do the full you know crazy review rundown of certainly one of the biggest live music weekends in in our recent memory um on next week's show um but it should be said elliot paisley you're here as well and and even you got in a little bit of the action on that uh that final sunday with uh deftones and co as well did you have a nice time did you enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: I uh the best time i absolutely enjoyed myself it You know, it's so weird. It's been 10 years since I saw Deftones. Last time was subbing to Black Sabbath, a download, like 2016 or something.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: Times change.
Speaker 3: It's just mad seeing them be that big. And again, when I went to that, I was not just the youngest. I was the youngest person there by about 20 years. It was me and 40 guys with beanies. That was the audience. And now, I go... And I genuinely feel like one of the oldest people there.
Speaker 1: And it's just.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a completely different experience, I wouldn't even know where to rank it in terms of, like, the Deftones shows I've seen, but it's just their rise to, like, genuine all-time rock stars now is just one of the most heartening things, and getting to be there and experience it in person, and it's happening the coolest way, I mean, TikTok isn't necessarily the coolest way it's become super popular, but just the way it's not been, like, they've not become, like, a one-hit wonder, where it's a bunch of teenagers waiting around to hear one song, it's They have huge songs now throughout the set, and weird choices, like just the way the crowd popped off things like Rosemary and Entombed and like Mascara, which, you know, I've said that's on a classic record, but when they went into that guitar line, which doesn't scream catchy hits, you know, and then everyone loses their mind for it, it kind of places them in a unique spot where there's no lulls in the set, because their last album was big, they've got deep cuts that are huge that they can pull from now, and, you know, the hits are the hits, and You know, Deftones, maybe they were once a slightly patchy live band. They seem to be just uniformly brilliant now. And the whole day was fantastic. Again, seeing AFI for you guys the first time.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy AFI? Did we get you any more?
Speaker 3: You know what? Because the weeks coming up have been so AFI-centric just in the talk. I almost started to develop a countering yin-yang thing with AFI. Guys, come on. They can't be that good. Is Davey Havoc really a god? He's a guy. The guy's got aura. There's absolutely no denying. When that guy comes out on stage, it's something else. I didn't know half the songs because my AFI knowledge is much patchier. I bumped into you earlier in the day and you were describing them as a bit like Clutch where they might pull from anything at any time. But again, I looked at the set list afterwards just to reacquaint myself with some of the songs I didn't know. And I might have to go and listen to Crash Love again, because I think I have heard that, but the song they played off that was a Stone Cold Jam, so there's... Two, right? Yeah, Across the Day, Death Heaven were great. I saw a little bit of Interpol. They were nice and boring. That was fine.
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 3: Salem was fucking ridiculous. I don't know if either of you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't see that. That was.
Speaker 3: Do you remember Lil Xan? Do you remember that guy? Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was sort of like that. To be clear for everyone listening, this is not the Will Gould Salem. This is a completely different Salem.
Speaker 3: This is Witch House.
Speaker 1: The Will Gould Lil Xan collab would go hard.
Speaker 3: Different guy. Different guy entirely. My association with Salem is they had an album in 2010, which was kind of popular at the time, but mainly there was a viral video surrounding them where people were going, is this the worst live band ever?
Speaker 1: Of all time.
Speaker 3: It was like catatonic youths before catatonic youths. And it was, it wasn't like that, which is a shame because that's kind of what I was hoping for. But it was, it was kind of like, like SoundCloud rap, Witch House with, they've taken Sun's fog machine. It was just like, you couldn't see it. That with the dust, it was an absolute punishment.
Speaker 1: Have you cleansed yourself yet of the, the already infamous All Points East dust?
Speaker 3: Oh, mate, I, I came back, I got home at like 1.30, and I was like, I'm not going to be able to sleep, I need to have a hot shower to clear this. It was like, do you remember when Drag Me to Hell, when she starts vomiting blood? It was just like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was Prometheus Black Goo in all that. I went to fucking Victoria Station bathroom afterwards, blew my nose, looked down, and I shit, this is not an exaggeration, this is not a bit, it was black. I was black snotting everywhere. It was terrible. I was fully going to turn into a fucking xenomorph.
Speaker 3: You start to get scared because you go, the dust wasn't even black at the site. It's gone black in my head. What chemistry has happened where now black is just pouring out of my skull? But yeah, no, deftones were good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was good. As said, full details, full AFI Lovefest, I suppose, along with the cure and deftones and other things, to be coming on next Friday's show when we've got more time to waste, I suppose. But today, we haven't got that time to waste because we are doing, as I said, the review show for August, and we have got just six records that we're going to be talking about in depth today. But there is, I think, a good comprehensive spread of the TNM universe and our genres in those six records. We're going to talk about the new records from Weezer, Chelsea Wolfe, Electric Cowboy, Living Weapon, The Night Eternal, and Zorn. A little bit of news round up before we get into that. First of all, everyone was going all the rage for this across last weekend when we were hanging out together. The news dropping that Turnstile... are going to be releasing a kind of a reimagined, reworked version of Never Enough. featuring a very large amount of guests. Turnstile, right, we're very used to at this point seeing a Turnstile tour poster drop and it having, like, everyone from the most, you know, kind of dingy underground things that you could feasibly put on with Turnstile through to, like, bands and artists who we would otherwise never be talking about on this show. And it pretty much is like one of those tour posters put into record form. But specifically, the fact that the names were presented in alphabetical order, meaning that... dying fetus and elton john came directly next to each other on this list i hope they're on the same song i hope that that's the way they've organized it uh all together anyway uh The fact that those are the two names brought together, everyone obviously had a lot of fun with that. The thing that I really hope, I think the best case scenario out of all this, is that this is how Elton John hears Dying Fetus. He goes, oh, that turns that record. I'm on that. I wonder who else is on it. Looks up, sees his name. It's directly next to John Gallagher and co. And then he goes and hears fucking Destroy the Opposition. I think that is the ultimate dream scenario. We may never know if that comes true or not, but in my head, I'm hoping that that is what's happening.
Speaker 5: I'm sure Owen Dunne will have given the record at least one play.
Speaker 2: He talked about how much he liked Never Enough as a record and would listen to it a lot. So maybe he will decide to check out the reimagined version. I mean, I'm down for just this. I think Turnstile are continuing to just be a really cool big band at this point. I think it's amazing the level of names they can pull from. You've got Hayley Williams... like i think like angel dust are like one of the things that so i'm guessing they've probably got like that link going on but like i said the dying fetus elton john one was just kind of like the a that's such like insane sort of one two whiplash to go from but yeah i think you know turnstile just like a year on from that i'm going we're doing a reimagined version of it with the most batshit list sort of guesses ever that just feels very in keeping with what turnstile is now and i'm kind of excited to hear how it plays out.
Speaker 3: Well the thing that was weird for me was i sent it to my friend and he like you say it's all in alphabetic order so you read it naturally and he seemed to stop reading it dying fetus because he just went dan deacon and dying fetus how mad it was like what got one line down the next.
Speaker 4: Line was he reading it with a ruler he was trying to reveal it slowly to himself to keep suspense i think it's again it's just one of the again it's this is the sort of thing where you go, this will not happen again.
Speaker 3: Like maybe, another band will become as popular where they can collide those two worlds but to like for a band to be able to reach have one tentacle in sort of a place where dying fetus might will be you know able to hang and then another where it's like they can reach Elton John it's It's a pretty generational move. It's the sort of thing that even five years ago sounded completely stupid outside of pure novelty, and even then you wouldn't get a name that big. I almost don't care if any of it's good. It's purely just the cojones to give it a go. I think this is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, hopefully it's the start of a great budding friendship there. And a long time ago, as a wise man once said, Why not Dying Fetus? So, that is the thought over in the Turnstile camp. Speaking of, I know, slowly revealing something to ourselves, this is news here of a, I guess, a Guitar Hero, it's not officially Guitar Hero, it's called Stage Tour, but it's, you know, kind of from the lineage of Guitar Hero, a new game, and I know that you two here in Throat of Me, as you bring up every single time various bands come up, most recently Social Distortion on Album Club, um, have very strong feelings about Guitar Hero, not that I blame you at all. Um, so, uh, I mean, Elliot, it was you who, uh, you know, brought this forward and was like, look at this list, um, of tracks that have been revealed for this new upcoming, uh, you know, Guitar Hero quasi sort of spin-off game. Um, the, the rise and fall of Guitar Hero itself is, uh, It feels very tied to, I don't know, a time of different fortunes in rock music, I suppose. So it always feels, I don't know, slightly like we're trying to recapture something when something like this comes out. And the list here of songs is really weird because on one hand, about 70% to 80% of it is, like, not stuff that you would think is right for a guitar hero at all because it's just, like, you know, boring, pop, doesn't rip, whatever.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: there is a small percentage, and then you go, oh, but Castle Rat are there. And Beast in Black are on there. Like, a couple of really weird... Certainly Castle Rat, it's fucking cool to see them graduating into, yeah, we're on a Guitar Hero of sorts game status, but do we really need Walk the Moon to be on it? It's an odd bunch, isn't it?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I pointed out when we were discussing this earlier, the thing with like the Guitar Hero, Rock Band Games, the moment they became sort of full band experiences, the songs, the track list did change and become generally less ripping because it became less about just ripping out the guitar stuff, which is why Guitar Hero 3 is the peak of the entire thing because that was the last one that was purely guitar, had the best set list of songs that are like crank out the riff, rip out the solos, like big tunes.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at the Muse song. The old Guitar Hero 3 infamous staple is, of course, Knights of Cydonia. And there are so many songs from the Muse catalog. Muse, not short of ripping guitar playing. That's something that everybody, including people who hate Muse, can generally agree on. That's why they've gone and picked Starlight, the song I'm sure we all immediately think of when it comes to heavy, ripping Muse guitars. I love Starlight. It's a... perfect pop song it's not the one you put on a fucking guitar here again is it yes like stockholm syndrome or even a recent single but fucking won't stand down or whatever would be a better choice than starlight.
Speaker 2: Yeah that feels sort of emblematic of the sort of like full band thing but i will say i was looking i was like you know like megadeth are a rubbish band for the most part but tornado of souls.
Speaker 1: Is an unbelievable choice like we got you with rust in peace last year and you're already trying to walk all this back No, no, no.
Speaker 5: I've just said Tornado of Souls is fucking brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you said it like it was an outlier, which is the problem.
Speaker 3: It is an outlier.
Speaker 2: And the other one is like Motley Crue. Again, terrible band, but fucking kickstart my heart. Is there one undeniable, unbeatable tune?
Speaker 5: And that's simply on there.
Speaker 3: Sense of Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: But then I'm looking at it like, you know, there's some fun stuff. As we were talking last week, Sharp Dressed Man on there.
Speaker 1: That's a banger.
Speaker 5: You're going to have a good time cranking that out, will you, mate?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, Square Hammer's one I can go like, yeah, that's the one that should be on the revival of Guitar Hero. If you're going to pick a ghost tune, Square Hammer is one of the most ironclad modern rock and metal classics. Really cool to see that on there. The Motherlode as a Mastodon pick, I'm like, cool to see the sort of staple metal bands who've been on these games before getting more interesting picks. A couple of bait choices, Psychosocial, that's been on one of these before, but I'll take it. I think there's enough cool stuff on here.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to see Red Flag as a Billy Talent pick.
Speaker 2: I think that's a classic tune. And then there is a bunch of weird pop songs on there, like Avril Lavigne and Olivia Rodrigo. But as you said earlier, that being alongside Castle Rat, I guess it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: For me, the only criteria for whether something should be on Guitar Hero is, do you want to air guitar to it because if you don't why have a game which simulates yeah do you know what i mean like that seems like that and that's that's the only criteria you can have any genre music you want like i mean guitar hero 3 you're quite right sam is the absolute best creme de la creme guitar hero game and that's got you know for every one or number of the beast or raining blood there's like cliffs of dover like there's nice breezy stuff which is just still like you know stuff that sounds fun to play on guitar And there's, you know, there's a lot of that. You've mentioned a lot of them, like Get the Funk Out by Xtreme. That's great. You know, Photograph by Def Leppard. I believe in a thing called love.
Speaker 5: I thought the law, that'll be a fun one. Even more sort of like basic punk stuff, that's as good as you could get for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there are a lot of songs where you go, I don't even know what the guitar on that does. Some of the songs I might like, and I don't even know what the guitar part sounds like. The one for me where I do go, whose idea was this, is Static X with... with Terminator Oscillator, and I'm not a Static, as much as I might have given the impression, I'm not a huge Static X fan. I was like, where is that song from? And it's from 2020, and it's like, what's a 2020 Static X? In your opening gambit, to go like, and there's more to come, we've got the return of Static X, like that's, and again, the riff for that will just, I've not heard it, the riff will just be, da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm sort of, I'm hoping that when the game comes out properly, let's have a little bit more shred. A little bit less modern Rolling Stones and a bit more... I feel like there's a lot of songs which... Square Hammer's a perfect example of the mother load. There's a few songs that came out in the interim between Guitar Hero games where you go, I'd love to stick that in. I don't need it to all be like Rings of Sasson, but do the Blood Incantation stage. That would be cool. Please, just do Absolute Elsewhere in full. That's a perfect final boss. don't know if we need all-star i think that's sort of been.
Speaker 1: Done yeah the majority of this to me looks boring but then there's castle rat and you go fucking hell yeah that that feels like a major win for them like that's the major part of the the story of this i think is like damn castle rat really really going somewhere so uh good for them at the very least a couple of new album announcement this week comeback kid I've got their new one, the Canadian hardcore stalwart's Chosen Hell is the name of it. It's out on November the 6th. And then we also have news I wanted to drop in of Smolder, and that's in their new album. Smolder, one of our favourite more recent epic heavy metal, traditional heavy metal bands, started off more as a doom metal band, but over the years, and certainly by the lead single for this album, Standards, have gone crazy. Like, faster and faster and faster, where you can call them Doom No More, really. And this album has got a whole kind of, you know, strange, almost, like, aesthetic reinvention going on for them. It's called Witch Wife in an Alien World, and it looks very, like, freaky and sci-fi and progressive compared to the, you know, more... medieval epic you know stuff that you could associate with smolder but that's coming out on october the 9th uh again a small band who we like to shine a light on new tour announcements the big one that everyone's been talking about this week comes from both trivium and in flames uh who have been recently uh doing a tour together across the us now they have announced it together bringing it to europe and the uk as well um trivium and in flames it's sort of the way like Trivium in particular, because they did the Poison and Intensity thing, they almost have these big press conference style rollouts for tours. It's kind of being pitched as a co-headline in that kind of way. Obviously, compared to Bullet and Trivium, In Flames and Trivium has more of a geographical disparity, where it looks like In Flames are going to be headlining, certainly the Scandinavian tour. dates perhaps some of the other european ones as well uh trivium are the band going on last uh here in the uk um within flames as sort of main support uh they are going to be doing that here in the uk between march 29th and april 4th and then also going across uh the rest of the Stop at Alexandra Palace in London... This is going for arenas... It's got the Co-op Live in Manchester for example... The Hydro in Glasgow... And opening acts of... Paleface Swiss and Vola... And Trivium and In Flames together... This... To me personally... I find this more tantalising... Than the... Bullet Poison Descendancy thing... That they did... Mavis Bullet... I'd seen the poison before... Whatever... But like the combination of Trivium... And yeah I know... Recent In Flames... They're not the Jester race anymore but the combination of those two together is i feel like i would be more likely to uh you know try and find my way to this particularly um considering in flames recently Just this week, actually, they were playing a show in Gothenburg, in Sweden, and I believe that there was a big Thomas Lindbergh memorial focus going on with In Flames and Dark Tranquility and so on, covering At The Gates songs and that kind of thing. But part of this In Flames... set they did this week as well um they busted out a bunch of like cool old songs they played gyroscope from horacle um for the first time since 2012 and particularly uh artifacts of the black rain from the jester race with matt hayfee coming out on guest vocals because that is apparently matt hayfee's favorite inflamed song that he's been pressuring them to do for ages and guess who else would select that as their favourite In Flames song? That's right, me, bitch. And if this continues, and Matt continues to bully In Flames into playing cool Jester-y songs, particularly that one, then yeah, maybe they won't do that. But to me, like I said, Trivium and In Flames together, this does sound like a... If you're into melodic metal, particularly of the Swedish Gothenburg-y variety, which is of course very influential on Trivium, then I'm alright, yeah.
Speaker 2: This reminds me of the, um, not the, the toilet a couple of years ago with heaven shall burn, where again, it was that co-headliner, but like the UK, but like.
Speaker 1: But much bigger because they're in arenas, right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: But in flames feel like the sort of the perfect kind of like leading for that. Again, I have quite influenced on this podcast ribbed in flames and their fans a little bit, but I have now kind of like, again, I know that the early in flames records up to Oh six in flames rip post Oh six post come clarity.
Speaker 5: It's all a bit naff to.
Speaker 2: Me, but, um, if everyone wanted to come out and just play a 45 to 50 minute sort of big support slot of bangers into Trivium, that's a good fucking time. Like, that is, like, if you want, like, again, like, melodic, kind of, like, death metal teen sort of metalcore sort of influential sort of music.
Speaker 5: That's a great old time.
Speaker 2: It's weathering flames to do that, whether they kind of like, no, people want to hear the new songs and no, they don't. But yeah, I think this is that as a pairing, it's one of those ones you kind of go like, how has it taken until now for this to kind of like be a really, again, a big deal tour. I know they've toured together in the past, but it feels like one of those ones that could have been a big deal tour for a good while now.
Speaker 5: And I think like, it looks cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, Trivium, Trivium, Always reliably great. In Flames do seem like a band where they are more dependent on what they choose to play on the night, because I saw them in 2017. I think that was the height of, we're not a melodic death metal band anymore. We're the future. We're battles. And it was like 60% of the... I think the oldest song they played that night, if I'm not mistaken, was Take This Life, which is not old enough, to be honest, if you're going to do an In Flames set. But it does seem like, with that last record, which was very consciously... going for the old school and if they're bringing out deep cuts like that it sounds like they've sort of bucked their ideas but have a bit of a healthier balance if if they come out and bring it other i'd like to see an inflamed sort of renaissance of the kind they deserve because i think you know sam speaks to something where a lot a whole generation because they were naff for quite a long time and on record still aren't great they've sort of been swept under the rug but my god that that run we talked about it before but like when inflames were on it oh baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, last time they played Bloodstock, they played Behind Space from the first album, so I think that they are capable of doing some cool shit, and I would just hope that does continue into this particular tour, because I think, I don't know, coming out in front of a Trivian crowd who are obviously, again, there's that lineage of influence there, and kind of giving them a lesson, you know, like, here's where all this stuff comes from, Artifacts of the Black Rain, Behind Space, whatever, and then, you know, obviously you do throw in your big anthems from the, you know, throw in deliver us whatever you know from from the more modern records as well um i know there has been a bit of discourse around this about ticket price as kind of increasingly seems to happen with every big tour that's not unique to this one i think people are maybe going god trivium and in flames together that's the package that i might have seen again 15 years ago like i did on like the metal hammer defenders of the faith tour and now suddenly it's 80 quid you know to do it but i know that's just kind of uh the the price that's being paid with basically every like you know tour that's going to go through places like the carp live or outside of palace whatever um you know down to your own discretion and uh is is a shame but as i said as a pairing um that is uh of the the bigger metal tours coming around In next year, that is one that I find kind of appealing So there you go, Trivia in Flames coming around If you are more of a hardcore alternative rock persuasion Then Basement Are going to be doing their Big full on headline tour Around Europe and the UK For their album, it includes a date at the Roundhouse In London And those sort of equivalently sized venues Across the rest of the UK In February of next year And just because Sam hasn't been Privileged enough lately Chelsea Wolfe, more on her in a little while, but Chelsea Wolfe, having just fucking played one date in London alongside, of course, her headlining date at Elk Tangent, decided that that is now the only place she will play in the UK because the dark world tour has been announced and the only UK date is in fucking London again on the 17th of December. You've just played there, Chelsea. I love you, but please, you've just done it. Do... The rest of us, please. And if that's not enough, fucking Oathbreaker. Also, in the post-Arctangent announcements, added one more UK show in London at the Village Underground, which is not a venue that I know. And it's on my fucking birthday, no less. And I kind of didn't want to have to go to London again for the rest of the year, but maybe I must.
Speaker 2: I was so glad because when Portrayal of Guilt announced that tour recently and there was no London there I was like you fuckers not coming to London and then suddenly I was like oh that's why you're not coming to London because you're doing something even better coming to London with Oathbreaker I am ecstatic about this I've seen so many of my favourite albums of all time in full life this year because then this is just like topping it off with Raya is going to be just oh I am very very excited yeah Oathbreaker hell yeah let's go Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the cool live announcement from the other side of the pond this week, I think from over in America, is Interama announcing their 20th anniversary as a band tour. Interama have, in fact, been going for 20 years. You might not have heard of them until... I don't know, five or so years ago, perhaps ten when they released Paradise Gallows, but 20 years as a band. This year they're doing a kind of short tour around primarily the eastern side of the United States, but the support acts for that tour are the current kind of buzzy, really horrible sludge band called Chain to the Bottom of the Ocean, and then also Antichrist Siege Machine, which is the hardest possible inter-armoured support act. Fuck me.
Speaker 3: I wonder what Van Halen song they'll do.
Speaker 1: I do wonder, but yeah, if you are, again, in that area of the United States and you have not seen any of those bands, god damn it, fucking Antichrist Sea Machine, unbelievably hard, and then you get Inter-Armor as well, brilliant stuff. Right, let's move on with our show here. A quick little mention for our most recent antics over on the That's Not Metal Patreon. The most recent thing is our Black Breath. Retrospective special that we did Four hours on a band who we think Fucking deserved her four hours spent On them and their catalogue And their legacy and the other things that they've done The other bands that they've done And just What a wonderful thing that they were In their time and hopefully can be Again now if they Are gallant enough To do so in our area Elliot this was fucking a joy Wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Such a pleasure to revisit that catalogue Like, I mean, I don't need much excuse to listen to certainly the first two at the best of times, but so rewarding to go through it in order and think about how that band changed. Because, you know, they weren't around for very long and, you know, kind of maybe stretched to say forgotten, but so many people of maybe the generation after and before don't seem too familiar with who they are. But it's like, if you were there then, you know how exciting it was. And going back through the records, charting that short, sharp career they had, And it just, it's made me so yearning for them to come back to the UK. Like, now I've gone from seeing, like, oh, I'm glad they're back and, you know, the Americans can enjoy it. So, like, now I must, I simply must see them. Surely someone's going to get, some festival's going to be there. They've got to come over. It's just, yeah, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the campaign for that to happen. to happen certainly does begin here and that does follow on from our just before that recently completed Korn special four parts on that band the real breadth of the T & M spectrum there of one of the most influential giant bands of all time in the world of heavy music to a band who we think deserve more of a light shone on them and we will see where that particular pendulum takes us to next over there but if you want to hear all of that you might also want to hear for example the T & M Does Horror series that me and Sam do, our most recent entry of which was talking about Obsession and Evil Dead Burn. You can find all of that good stuff, all of our longest, best podcasts over on the That's The Metal Patreon. And if that is where you choose to support us, then that is the best way to support this podcast and keep us alive. So thank you very much for doing so. Let's get on with today's reviews. And like I said before, six albums, but a good spread, trying to cover as many bases as possible within six albums. that this month's release has presented to us and we start off with the return of the most rascally band on the planet Weezer with their self-titled once again it's the gold album it has been labeled as their 20th studio album But that requires you to, one, count the Teal album as a covers record, and even more egregiously, requires you to count every individual 20-minute season's EP as one. So, no, it's really more like their 15th album of original material, maybe 16 if you were to generously bundle all the seasons into one. I thought that number seemed high when I heard it, and it's not quite right. But Weezer, the band that we love the most, that we also hate the most, the 2020s. Like the 2010s and the 2000s before them, have been a juddering series of highs and lows for Weezer. We started them off with a bang, with the 1-2 in 2021 of OK Human and Van Weezer. Two very fun Weezer albums. We were having such a good time back then. And then, oh, strike while the iron is hot, why don't you? 2022, why don't you release four seasonal mini-albums? Oh, God, for fuck's sake, no. It has been... Five whole years since the last official Weezer studio album, which is a massive amount of time for Weezer. For context about that time, Elliot, you weren't on the show the last time that Weezer released an official studio full-length album. We were still doing our old three-review-a-week show structure when the last two 2021 Weezer albums came out. I needed space from Weezer after Seasons. I did not want any more Weezer material right after that. That's the time where I personally felt like you have Demanded my attention And pissed on it for a year straight I want you to go away for a couple of years Until my being mad at you Has had ample time to dissipate And I can start wanting for Weezer again And here we are in 2026 and I'm quite pleased they did.
Speaker 2: That Yeah I remember that seasons kind of epilogue for the weasel special we did and we were just what a christmas that was yeah we we were not in a good place on that one it was the most kind of just like exasperated and burnt out we were and i was the same i was i maybe i don't think i needed you know five four or five years of sort of weasel silence but i did i did need a break and i'm glad that uh we got some time to kind of like refresh and and weasel could Find a different tact and season being different after the exhausting undertaking that was Seasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Seasons, it's the nadir of the career for me. The highs and lows before that are still quite fun and enjoyable and there's hilarious things that happened all along the way. The only thing about Seasons that's kind of remotely amusing is the press photos we got. That was genuinely the best thing. the whole year was seeing like what's River's going to be who's going to be an elf or a Roman soldier this time that was the height of their four mini album series and it's the fact it came straight off the back of Van Weezer which I think is a lot of fun it's a flawed record but I like that it exists I like what it does and OK Human which for me that's on the Mount Rushmore of Weezer records if I'm doing my top four Mount OK Human is not even in that conversation it's the fourth one but within two years of that record coming out you know, between that and, say, Winter, it's like, I'm fucking, I'm done with this band. And this is my first time talking about Weezer on this show, I think in any capacity, because the only time was when I gave them Disappointment of the Year four seasons.
Speaker 1: We spoke a little bit about Everything Will Be Alright in the End on the 2014 special we did, but this is their little dips and pieces. They have been kind of silent, mostly, for this tenure.
Speaker 3: And they're one of my favourite bands, so it's been weird not talking about them when they're one of the most active bands that I love. And But I think, you're right, taking this time away, just shy of four years without any new music at all, and you can kind of hear in the record that that was a deliberate move. It feels like they've really knuckled down. It's like the exam's tomorrow. It's like, all right, come on, we're not going to fail. We're going to do this properly. There's a feeling on this record of kind of bucking their ideas, of taking it seriously. And you're right, I think that's about the minimum amount of time I needed to go from fuck this i can't take any more weezer to actually go in that's quite another weezer record would be quite good.
Speaker 1: Now sure yeah um we've got a colored album now and once upon a time back when uh youthful naive me first started doing this podcast we always used to say hey weezer they go wherever they go but you can always rely on the colored albums to be good with green red white and then we And to a lesser extent Teal So even that measure of reliability is not a given anymore But this one has been marked with the gold standard If there is any particular Defining gimmick to this one So to speak Although that's a harsh word to use It looks to be that the songwriting process Is the most collaborative between the members That they've maybe ever done Where the songwriting credits for these ten songs Rivers Cuomo is obviously on a lot of them But there are two whole songs Entirely credited to Patrick Wilson Brian Bell also has a number of credits, and then a few other kind of outside songwriters as well. It doesn't read as much just Cuomo, Cuomo, Cuomo as your, like, average Weezer release does. And that, I think, is kind of fun and kind of heartwarming for a band over, like, three decades into their career. Whether that comes out with, you know, career best results is, you know, a different matter, but I do think that's kind of cool. What do we think of The Gold Album?
Speaker 2: I was saying, like, because, like, this has been one where, again, it's easy for the, like, oh, it's the best Weezer album of the 2020s kind of thing to come along because it is the most back-to-basics, kind of, like, straightforward Weezer album. It's the coloured album, all that. I think this is the most agreeable, I would say, Weezer album of... This is a good Weezer album. I think there is very little about this album to dislike.
Speaker 5: I think it is, you know.
Speaker 2: It goes down really easy. It's 10 tracks, 33 minutes. I don't think there is a particularly bad song on here. I think it's a very pleasant time. For me, it doesn't hit the highs of OK Human or Van Weezer. I think the best moments on those records are peak 2020s Weezer.
Speaker 5: But at the very least, it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: I don't see how anyone who likes Weezer could dislike this album as a whole because I just think it's just so... easy to sort of stick on and have a a good time with i just think maybe it's not like the exact kind of like oh my god we's are back let's throw up the w this is the white album all over again kind of thing that i maybe some people have initially found themselves getting caught up in because it's not.
Speaker 3: Seasons it's a weird one because the white album the feeling that still emanates from that record for me, which I get from when I first heard it, is I didn't know they still had this in them. And that excitement still persists on that record. The same is true for OK Human, where that was announced eight days before it came out, and then you're listening to this symphonic chamber pop album, which I think is virtually perfect, and it's done with a real orchestra. I didn't even know I wanted this, and it's so fucking good. The gold album's in a weird place where I think the album's really, really good. There's basically nothing I dislike about it, but that thing you were saying about it being agreeable plays to its strength and against it, in a way. Because the album sounds brilliant. I think it's the best sounding Weezer album in years. Like, OK Human Again, it's a production marvel, but it doesn't sound like a Weezer album at all, really. This sounds fantastic. The collaborative element, I really like that about it as well. It sounds like Weezer, but That's not... It feels harsh to say this, because that's not super surprising. Maybe it shouldn't do. And it's nice to hear them sounding like a band again after Seasons, which I'm not convinced some of the other members even played on those things. But I will agree that this album... On the other hand, it's maybe short on moments where you can't believe how good the thing you're listening to is, which Weezer Arms in the last decade have had those. That being said, I do think it's a really consistent record. And the thing that it's aiming for, I do think it kind of smashes at its goal.
Speaker 1: It's pretty, like, basic Weezer, isn't it? Like, it's got a particular sort of nuts-and-bolts feel to it at times. And I, again, when this record came out last Friday, and I was, you know, looking at some of the response to it, maybe this is just, you know, where my, I don't know, algorithm was curated, but I was, like, a little surprised at how really positive people were being. And I think that maybe there is some of that related to, as you're saying... relief of like four years without any weezer material and you know absence makes the heart grow fonder and then when it comes back it's not some seasons bullshit it's just like straight weezer the heavy power pop thing that they do basically like you know we we all hate weezer but we all yearn for weezer that's just how it goes and if they come back after some time away and they deliver something that gives that familiar weezer tickle it's hard not to go oh come here you and welcome them back because you know we're only human and it is nice having an album that I agree. The last thing they did, I think, is the worst overall project of their career. There's not a single song on it, when even the likes of Ratitude or Hurley or whatever have bangers on it. It's nice having something after that that puts me on good terms again with Weezer. That feels like a press of the reset button for me, and I like that. I think it's fun. I do think there are a couple of great moments on this that really make the endeavor worthwhile. I also feel like this album has a little bit of the air of the throwaway to it, and it kind of lands in the you know good not essential Weezer column for me and I do think like it's 10 years since the White Album which you mentioned that right this year and if that is the bar for like we've had this rodeo before basically is what I'm saying like where Weezer have been in the wilderness doing weird shit And then they reset to factory settings. And we had everything will be right in the end, which I think is a fucking great album that's near the top of the Weezer albums for me. And then following that up with the even better White album. This is nowhere near as good as those if that's the bar of Weezer getting back in touch with being Weezer again. Weezer, right? There's not a lot of musical deviation on this. It's quite thin. They're very slice of life-y in the lyrics a lot of times. which is, you know, endearing as long as maybe Rivers doesn't make it weird, yo. It's a very easy listen. It's produced by Kenny Beats, who is quite well-known in the hip-hop world, but his approach here with Weezer as a rock band I think is, you know, pretty admirable, considering that is his background, because he really just dials into, like, you know, guitar tone, like I said, that heavy power-pop thing that we associate with, like, Blue Album Weezer, you know, that their sound was established on. This is really, you know, just very much in that vein but the songwriting at times is a little bit ropey and thrown together and it is certainly at points very overtly self-referential and backwards looking as well but as much as there is that I think it's fun there's some really fun stuff it's a hard album to be mad or upset at considering how great one of the lead-off tracks from this was it's not as great an album as I hoped. I think when We Might As Well Be Strangers came out, a lot of us went, oh, fuck. Weezer might be onto another modern classic here. And it's not that. Certainly not. But I think it is... I've enjoyed my 33 minutes of time when I've gone to spin it, even if it's not hit at that level that I kind of was crossing my fingers for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my way of almost... My way of assessing Weezer records, and this isn't the best way of doing it, but it's just a way of compartmentalizing in my head, is... I have a playlist that's just called All The Weez You Need, and it's every song by Weezer, which I think is fantastic. This is great. I never want to skip it. And there's three albums on there, which I just have in full, which are the first two in the white album. OK Human, I think I missed one song, and then it's basically variations on that. I haven't added this album yet because I've been waiting to live with it a bit more to see where it lands. I see this putting in five to six songs, which is actually pretty good for a band this late in their career. I think having five or six songs where I go, this is great, is a pretty good standard. And some of those, you've already mentioned one of them, I think are really great. And the songs which I don't think would make it, they're not bad. For me, there's not a song where I go, what are you doing, lads? This doesn't work. There's a couple which are a bit odd, or maybe take a few listens to get going, but there isn't one where I go, this is a shambles. And It's been a bit of a while, again, excluding Ogre Human, which is its own beast, I think. It's been a while since that's happened, where there's not at least one song on the record where you're sort of scratching your head. Although, actually, I'll say that. You are scratching your head, but it's not too brutal.
Speaker 1: In this case. I agree.
Speaker 3: I think that if someone came out and said, this is an unbelievable record, this is fantastic, which I saw some of, I find that a bit weird. But if someone came out and said, oh, the gold album, what were they thinking? What do you mean, what were they thinking? It's Weezer. Occasionally great, often very good, sometimes sort of middling. But generally speaking, I think this is kind of the album they needed to make right now. This is sort of the minimum they needed to hand over after the last years of funniness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a Weezer, Greg sausage roll, isn't it? Job done.
Speaker 2: Yeah i think like um we might as well be strangers being the lead single was like a hard bar to then sort of top because that is i think by far the best track on the album and i kind of wish we had a bit more on that level but i do think outside of that again i i think the the the heavy guitar sort of crunchy power pop thing whenever they hit on it i just kind of go like yeah Yeah, that's what I want to hear.
Speaker 5: Say Yes is an opener, you know.
Speaker 2: It's got the kind of bittersweet melodies, that kind of slightly neurotic alt-rock thing. But on that chorus and the hey, it's with these like heavy kind of squalling guitars come in on a big sort of pop vocal chorus. i'm just like yeah give me that they're like it like weezer why don't you just do this more because it's so good whenever you hit it and they kind of like keep doing i think shine again is maybe one of the the like it's kind of awkward going from say yes is such good opener into shine again as kind of like that one the bigger missteps on the record i think that's maybe one of the slightly clunkier sort of stodgy songs it takes too long to get to the big melodies. So it's kind of like a bit of a, like a great start, old bit of a stumble. But outside of that, I think the album, like there's not much else to kind of like, don't like, don't make it weird.
Speaker 5: I think it is great.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great bit of awkward, nerdy pop rock from rivers, that whole, from weasel, the whole people call me river, but then they said that I don't got any flow. And the kind of, the deliberately clunky, unyielding delivery of that is just kind of like, that's that, that's really weird.
Speaker 5: Fun, smart songwriting there from Weezer.
Speaker 2: I think it's like really, really cool that don't make it weird chorus.
Speaker 5: Is infectious as hell.
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, when this album is hitting it, it's not, it's not giving me, you know, all my favorite songs, like Sad or Foggy, which I think is like sublime or the very best moments of Van Weezer in terms of just like sort of pure unfilled pop rock brilliance. But I do just kind of like, every time the songs hit the chorus, I'm like, I'm smiling.
Speaker 5: I'm having a nice time.
Speaker 2: Again, that fusion of sort of chunky, distorted guitars with these pop melodies, it hits me all the time. I just think like, yeah, Weezer, why do you have such a hard time doing this thing that you're so good at? And it's so easy, seemingly. And there are moments where, again, the album, the sort of looking back bitterness of it gets in the way of the songs a little bit on certain moments. And it is sort of self-referential to its detriment. But again, I don't think those ruin the album.
Speaker 5: They're just kind of like slightly odd moments in the sort of overall picture.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah. We Might As Well Be Strangers, I do think is, when you were saying about the highs on some of the other albums, I think this is one of the best Weezer singles of the last ten years. But I would say it's the only world-wide song on the album. And kind of testament to this is you said it was the lead single. It wasn't. Shine Again was the first song from this that they released. Was it? yeah and then we might as well be strangers came out and had like a proper music video everything and it was like shine again might as well not have existed prior to that point that was the way everyone oh weezer's back and just completely wiped over it as a single and i think that's kind of the album in a microcosm where we might as well be strangers is fucking excellent i think it's the kind of weezer song that everybody who has ever liked weezer hears it once and then goes yeah that's great and again i said this when the single came out but it reminded me of They had very recently had the unexpected viral success for Go Away from Everything Will Be Right in the End getting huge on TikTok, which features Bethany from Best Coast. And I don't know if that was a deliberate inspiration or just a weird coincidence that these songs happened at the same time, but this song kind of has a similar feel to me with a duet between Rivers and a guest singer. Works really, really well. And the melodies in that song are just aching in that Weezer heartbreak where through all of their silliness, which they often are on this album, sometimes they can just pang at you in a way that you can't deny. And then Shine Again, on the other hand, is completely fine. Like, I don't feel any way about it. It's just really throwaway. And Say Yes, the opener, is kind of sort of the middle of that spectrum for me. Like, it's not one of the great Weezer openers. It feels deliberately quite raggedy in terms of, like, the way the verse just suddenly smashes into the chorus. It's, like, a little bit ropey, considering Weezer normally have songwriting down to such a science. But, you know, it's fine enough. And I think that that is, like I said, the spectrum... of the album where there are some songs I really like and some that I could immediately feel really after one or two listens, the kind of bubble gum flavor of them, you know, running out, definitely nothing too bad. The, the songs on it that I think are the weakest on it again are more like kind of head scratchers more than they are hair terrors. You know what I mean? But, um, the, the, the amount of like the world-class material, like I was saying, is a little bit lower than, um, you know, even some of the other, not necessarily world-class all the way through, um, weezer records like a van weezer um for for example um i mentioned those sort of like slice of life songwriting ideas on this like rivers looking around just going like what have i got lying around i think there's some particular fluff on this album right like i said the way that the music on say yes feels literally thrown together that's almost how the vibe of some of these lyrics are for me where this album feels i listen to the white album and the white album is like such a like perfectly put together pop record basically like sonically structurally often lyrically whatever uh and this has this like ramshackle thing to it with you mentioned don't make it weird where rivers is just narrating the story of some woman that he knows and then it got weird yo um where it's relatable rivers in the most just like mundane unexciting fucking menial way possible and then you get hoops which is a song about qr codes and how many hoops you have to jump through in modern living when he's like trying to build a hamster wheel for his kids and he's getting upset about the guy not putting it together properly and there are a couple songs like this where like Again, I wasn't angry at them in the way that you were describing some of the worst Weezer songs, but I did just go, this is just pretty silly, isn't it? I don't think I can say these are great songs, they're just kind of amusing in their odd quirk.
Speaker 5: I really like Hoops. Like, I think Hoops is really fun.
Speaker 2: Like, the whole arbitrary, the bitterness over arbitrary modern bollocks, like scanning a QR code to use a toaster, is real. I get the frustration from Rivers on that one.
Speaker 1: I'm like, nah, mate, you're right.
Speaker 2: Whoever comes up with this, like, you have to sign in to use your fucking toaster, like, bullshit.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, Rivers, you're right.
Speaker 2: And again, I think that song's got a really fun catchy chorus. Like, there's a load of bunch of, like, cool little solos on this record where they do the Weezer trick of, you know, kind of like, doing the melody as the solo.
Speaker 5: It's fun.
Speaker 1: There's a hilariously stanky riff after that first chorus. Like, what right does that riff have to be in that song where Rivers says, Calvin Brodus warned us all about hoes over the top of it. It's like, you've taken a really hard riff and you've made it really fucking daft.
Speaker 3: I think this record, again, it benefits and it's a bit of a drawback of it. It has a really weird sequencing where Weezer Arms... even some of the patchy ones kind of come swinging out the traps with all great songs. And then it's sort of towards, you know, the second, third or something, you start to get a bit patchier. This album, I think in the opening run is so up and down. Say yes. I really like, I hear what you're saying, Perrin, but I, I found it very refreshing to hear a Weezer song that actually felt like it was, you know, written and recorded in a room. Whereas so many, it's the sort of Excel spreadsheet way of doing it. It's like everything goes right on the grid at the exact same time, especially as an opener. I think that really was going into shine again, which I don't, I don't dislike that song. It's okay, but it is a bit of a, you know, like momentum killer. Don't make it weird. I kind of agree, slightly fillery, but then We Might As Well Be Strangers, best song on the record, fucking fantastic. And then that going into CEO to sort of close out Side A, which I've seen some people not vibing with that song. And I kind of get it because first time I heard it, there was something a bit, like maybe too bitter about it the first time. But I think that chorus is just superb like it's grown on me so much i and it's such a testament to their amazing lyric melodic ability where none of the lines in that chorus rhyme and yet it's so catchy and just the way the thing spirals around it's just excellent then hoops and i so basically the first six tracks are sort of up and down all over the place in mood or whatever for me the strength of this record and i might be alone in this it sounded like i might be tracks seven through ten i think are all great which I don't know if that's ever happened on a Weezer album which isn't fantastic before. Do you know what I mean? Even some of the ones which are, I might love them, but I appreciate there's flaws, like the Red album. It ends brilliantly, but there's a couple of funny ones towards the end. This, for the first time ever, is a good but not great Weezer album, which just goes on a tear for the last four songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely there are a couple of my favourite songs towards the latter end of the record. I want to go back to CEO and not skip over that, because that is one of the more notable songs on the record, because it is... The most overt self-referentialism... Weezer have ever done.
Speaker 5: It's a deliberate callback.
Speaker 1: Yeah because it's a reprise of the Sweater song... Basically... Where the Sweater song in particular... Is such an oddball song in their catalogue... Because it has that... The Blue album subtly has this genuine... Borderline avant-garde quality to it... At times... And that's a great example with the mixed in conversational voices... On that really daydreamy kind of twanging guitar... That song in particular... it's utterly unmistakable if you were to try and like do it again you know um and it's very self-conscious of that because it is this like you know sort of comment on like i don't know being asked to do what they do in the 90s or whatever um and i suppose i was going to ask like what do you think of them doing like a self-conscious remake like that because i uh i think i agree with you in that i like it a little bit more now than when i first heard it it had to warm up to me And what warmed me up is the chorus. I particularly like that little, I presume, Brian Bell backing vocal in the chorus with the Gotta keep the rocket in the sky. Like, that really, the chorus individually is great. And I think in a way it's impressive that they have, like, come up with a new great chorus for a song that basically already existed, you know? Like, they've just, like, wiped over the chorus and done a new one that's still really good. But I think, particularly when I first heard it, there was this sort of uncanniness that I often get of, like, you know, hearing it and you go well that's just a sweater song you know i get what you're doing i get that you're delivering uh you know uh directly referencing the idea of nostalgia and you're kind of aware of what you're doing but i think a part of my brain does go i'm having fun with this but in the long term i'm likely to just put the sweater song again you know what i mean.
Speaker 2: So i sort of agree my thing is again this thing that chorus is fantastic and i think because it's so consciously kind of like making a comment on do the 90s thing and like um we we've talked about you know rivers the mad professor of his spreadsheet kind of like writing songs that way and him kind of kind of having to acknowledge people don't like that and i i kind of feel for him on on this and where he him having to kind of come to terms with people don't like his most out there kind of like approach to songwriting we're doing all these different styles the whole approach to seasons which feels like the most kind of spreadsheet like rivers sort of scientifically like trying to put together these songs and it being a complete disaster this feels like the sort of the pushback of that of acknowledging we're better at writing heavy power pop tunes but like we don't want to feel like it's corporate mandated writing of power pop tunes and like i think this song is it is bitter and it is kind of like jaded in that way but at the same time it's kind of like come in terms of we are fucking good at doing this and and testament to it is that absolute sort of belt of a chorus i think if the song wasn't such a like very pointed kind of commentary on it and was them just doing oh wink wink nudge nudge it's the sweater song again i think it would be a bit of a disaster but because it is so like it actually does have it's one of the things that like on the time that like rather than just kind of being kind of like weird slice of life quirky sort of rivers or livers is them kind of like really making a kind of like referential point of their own career and where they find themselves.
Speaker 5: I I think it does, for me, work in that way.
Speaker 2: It just, it is, again, it just kind of takes them getting used to the opening monologue.
Speaker 5: But when that chorus hits, I'm kind of like, yeah, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, because I wasn't sure at first because I was taking it quite literally and I thought he was literally talking about the CEO of their record. He was talking about someone else, not himself. I did think like, Rivers, when you did this sort of song before. Yeah, but before when you did that topic, it was Pork and Beans and it was so life-affirming and brilliant. It was like, and now it's quite sort of, defeated and bleed, but when it's, you know, you understand that he's talking about himself as the CEO, that's like, he's sort of recognizing that quality of himself. And again, Weezer just have ways of making me laugh that other bands don't, and the bit in the second chorus towards the end, when he goes, here comes the founder and the CEO.
Speaker 1: Whoa!
Speaker 3: Like, that's the appropriate response to the CEO coming your way. But the song, again, I think just in terms of sequencing, the way that rings out to end, like, the opening run of the record. In a way, it's a weird single, but at the same time, it kind of, like, it's a, I don't know, it's a slightly dour thing to put out ahead of your record, basically going like, oh, we're just sort of doing the 90s thing, because that's what people want, but I think in the sequence of the record, it's an interesting thing to write a song about, which some of these songs are not, and I think, again, it's that Weezer magic. Just by the skin of their teeth, they manage to do things which other bands would fall flat on their face doing. And they sort of pull it off with panache.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, even the kind of self-referential elements. Nowhere has this kind of acoustic guitar arpeggio thing in the post-chorus that's very like the intro of My Name Is Jonas. It feels like there are these very deliberate sort of throwback winks and stuff. in there about the closing run of it I don't love the whole like closing run that you mentioned that you know brings the record to its end but certainly aside from We Might As Well Be Strangers the other couple of songs I do particularly like are in that sort of back end with when I mentioned that like mid riff in hoops that suddenly gets really dirty there are a couple tracks towards the end where the album leans more in that direction um and i think for me one of like the defining north star moments in the whole weezer history is the bit in back to the shack when he goes maybe i should play the lead guitar and pat should play the drums doof And the bits in their career when they reconnect with that kind of teenage rock fan wanting to play loud, I mean, that's what made Vanweezer fun as well, right? And in the back end of the record, you have the show most go on, which has the album's fattest riff. the tone is so killer in there Pat sounds like he's in fucking crowbar the way he's swaggering on that groove like he's suddenly become 40 stone to play that particular beat and they're singing about being bros together and continuing to rock no matter what comes their way like Scott stubbing his.
Speaker 5: Toe it's great I love the Show Must Go On.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of these most like just honest, straightforward rock song that like Weezer when they sort of plug in and do that, it just feels like four dudes jamming in a room together and you and they capture that on that song i think since i haven't seen many people talk.
Speaker 5: About i'm like why show must go on he's like.
Speaker 1: Oh it's my second favorite song on the record for sure top three probably for me i don't know if i'd like i really like nowhere because again i really like that my name is jonas kind of like thing and the whole like why did they clear the trees to build some shitbox apartment or shitbox condos whatever that has a touch of the sort of the workers are going home kind of thing build to it so like i mean that song was great but yeah i mean i think the back in this record really strong stuff and the show must go on is like just a just great example of again just like straightforward fun rock song writing like and and you see more of that sometimes when we's are in the pocket they have ways of making you smile which like i say no other band can do the bit in the show must go on for me which maybe is give you the biggest smile across the whole record is just it's so red out on this but the bit when he goes a The world's out to get us, and we're out to get the world. This is big-time football, in case you hadn't heard. There's just something about when Weezer get cocky, which I know for some people rubs them up wrong, but for me, I find it so endearing.
Speaker 3: That song is just.
Speaker 1: The more River sounds like he's wearing a cowboy hat, the better. Always.
Speaker 3: Bring the moustache back. The whole thing on that song is just... The solo's great, the chorus is dynamite. Again, a Weezer chorus to the standard of basically any album you want to name. And it's just, it's so feel-good, which, you know, for this album being the gold album and a lot of it sounding quite positive, things like Say Yes and Shine Again and things like that, there are stretches of it where it can sound a bit defeated and down on itself. I think the last four songs, but especially the last three, are where it's just like that wheezy euphoria, which only they can do, is so present and correct. And it's like, this is the stretch where you go, I can't really fault this.
Speaker 1: And then speaking about re-embracing some of that Blue Album weirdness as well Suddenly a really chilling outro On the end of that track It's just a horror score Really bizarre The penultimate song I don't really feel as strongly As you're suggesting there do But then I would also say the closing song The LA Sound Maybe it's a throwaway, disposable song But I agree, Weezer writing a song about rocking I'm not too good for that I will say again about the production It genuinely sounds better and more organically rocking, and more live in the room, like you were saying, than the vast majority of rock band production now. So Weezer, on a song like that, genuinely teaching you poses how to rock. And I think those are the parts of this album that I do maybe most value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think LA Sound is a great close.
Speaker 5: It's kind of the moment of accepting.
Speaker 2: you're old but you still got a rock the whole club smells like piss and there's three flights of stairs that's like such a real lyric but then it's like again that chorus is wicked i do again new yorker rivers showing us the la sound is just quite a funny like bit i know obviously we are like a like kind of on your band but um it is just funny hearing the la sound from rivers but i think it's you know just a good time rock song about how rocking is like something we've got to do we've got to enjoy doing and that's how i want a weezer album to close i think it's a really nice kind of like just like warm embrace of a closing track.
Speaker 3: Yeah i mean the song is this i was reading an interview about this song and apparently they wrote this for the white album but jake sinclair who was producing that basically songs about being in a band are boring like they're rubbish we don't want them so they dismissed this and they ended up writing L.A. Girls instead. And I think we live in the right universe because L.A. Girls is one of the best Weezer songs of all time and we finally got this. And I kind of get the thing, those odes to the suffocated glory of being in a rock band, those can be tedious, but Weezer are among the best at them in the world. And this is just a sublime example. The way they kind of make their own myths is one of the most endearing qualities. And just as a way to close this out, which feels... Again, after the last four years of the last thing Weezer having done being that shit, and now getting an album that's pretty good, often fantastic, and closing it on one of the best songs, basically going, you know, it's been a wild ride, but we're still here together, we're still rocking. It feels a bit like, I mean, I hope not, but it sounds like Weezer was riding into the sunset to the point where it's like, if this was turned out to be the last Weezer album, that wouldn't be a terrible way for them to go out on their career. I mean, they're not going to next year. They're going to have another eight album series for us, which will undo all of this goodwill. But in terms of listening to them for the first time, well, even on repeated listens, for me, it's one of the highlights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like a bit of a killjoy on this album because I think in terms of really, if I'm going to carve out, not that it demands a lot of time, but when the blue album's there and the white album is there, you know what I mean? Or even the green album, whatever. Taking the half hour to listen to this entire record I think the purpose this will serve in the long term is I've already listened to the Blue Album 99 times this week. Maybe I need that 1 in 100 to be something different. Because you mentioned that idea of if you've got the bank of all of the really great Weezer material that exists, for me, I'm going to have two or three songs off this, maybe. Full album rotation, I don't really see myself coming back to this one so much. And like I said, when the bar for getting back in touch with the Roots Weaver, they've already done that way better. with Everything Will Be Alright at the end and the White Album back-to-back, and it's not the best Weezer album of the 2020s, because both Van Weezer and particularly OK Human, I think are, like, it's not a competition, it's above, way above this, like, way, way better. That album is fabulous, and this is patchy. So I do feel like I'm kind of downplaying the praise and the, oh, Weezer, you know, about this, because I'm like, well, it's not that good, you know, but I did get some smiles, and I got a couple of tunes, so... i'm not upset with it either it is certainly better than the last thing we got from them.
Speaker 2: I think i will say at least it's the biggest sort of jump up in quality from the record that came before it with weezer i i generally because again i i think everybody around the end like i was a great on that i still have you know fondness for a fair chunk of hurtley i think the album is not great but there's good stuff on there that we've gone from like i say the complete nadir of weezer.
Speaker 5: To this is another good Weezer record.
Speaker 2: I mean, that is a sizable jump, which is like, is reassuring at the very least that like, the quote can be that even if it isn't, as we say, the best of the back to basics, let's plug back in and be Weezer again records.
Speaker 5: But I still think, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Can easily throw on this record and have a nice time with it. I can, there's enough of this. I'm like, put that in the live set list and I'll be singing along. It's not going to be in my end of year list. It's not going to be in like my kind of like classical rotation but I also still I value this record's existence it's given me enough like kind of Weezer songs I really like that I'm like yep album's justified its place.
Speaker 3: Yeah if I I wouldn't know exactly the order but I'm thinking in my head like if I were to rank the Weezer albums where would I put this it would it would probably be like 9th or 10th to be honest like lower middle yeah yeah like Below the first four, below Everything Will Be Alright in the end, White, Okahuman, Red, which I love. I can't do the math to my head right now. It's probably 9 or 10. Somewhere in that ballpark. But there's albums below it that I like. Or at least I think I have some good songs. Van Weezer, I think, is an okay record. Occasionally a great record. I probably have this above that, to be honest, overall. I think it's more consistent and it sounds better. The thing that I was thinking, which... It feels a bit outdated now because that rule about the coloured albums always being great has been disproven. But I was thinking, if 2019 never happened, would this feel appropriate? It wouldn't be to the sky-high standards of blue, green, red and white, which are just fantastic records. But I wouldn't be mad about this being a coloured album. It kind of suits that, and I think that's all I can ask. And again, like you were saying, Sam, in terms of a jump from where they were, we knew this out, we had this in them, and they're coming from the worst stuff they've ever done.
Speaker 1: I'd give this.
Speaker 3: Album a sort of solid 7, coming up from a 3, wherever they were before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fair. The gold standard, perhaps. Let us know if you think it is so. The gold album, of course, from Weezer. It should come as no surprise that I think the best album that we're going to review today to come from these last few weeks of August comes from Chelsea Wolfe. It's her album The Dark. She is another pretty prolific artist. This is her 8th full-length solo album not counting the Blood Moon collaboration she did with Converge since her debut in 2010 that works out to an album every couple of years doesn't it and unlike Weezer they are always quality but she does have a few albums I think that act as landmarks across her journey that feel of particular artistic weight and 2024's She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She, I would say, is one of them. That was my personal album of the year in 2024, and I think that was a sentiment that was pretty shared across the board in terms of the particular acclaim for that one. It is one of, I would say, her modern classics, alongside the likes of Abyss and Hispun, but no rush for The Wicked, because here we are a couple years later with The Dark Elliot! I imagine that Sam and I are just going to be fawning about this, so I would like to start with you first of all, perhaps a more objective voice about Chelsea Wolfe, I don't know. How are you finding your time in the dark? Because as we tend to get with Chelsea Wolfe, it's quite a notable shift from the last time we spoke about her, but also having definite shared kinship in some other areas. What are you making of it?
Speaker 3: So, you know, it's no hot take to say Chelsea Wolfe has a fantastic catalogue. Like, all the arms are varying degrees of great. Some are She's one of those figures in modern alternative music who seems to have a bit of a Midas touch, which is why it pains me to say for the first time that I'm not wild about this record.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: It might be a case of too soon. to say, because the most frustrating part about all of this is I've been trying to write notes to explain myself, and I don't know why I'm not super keen on this one. It's possible that in a month or two will come the end of the year, I'll have got my head around and I'll go, I don't know what I was thinking. But I can only ever be honest. And I really like the concept... of what she's going for here, and she doesn't do anything wrong, and there's some stuff on this which I think is excellent, but for whatever reason, I've been listening to this record, and I get to the end and go, yeah, nice, which is the most mild I've ever felt about anything she's done by far, so I'm curious to hear what the case for loving it is, because I've been listening to this, and kind of coming up short, Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, Chelsea Wolfe, even though I think we generally do agree that her hit rate is really, really consistently high, because she does mill about stylistically, it is only inevitable that there are going to be some records that other people gravitate more to than others. Like I've got friends, for example, who aren't wild about, let's say, Birth of Violence, just as a record pulled out of a catalogue, as much as they might be about Abyss or Hispun or whatever it might be. And this record perhaps does... go in directions that are... I mean, to me, I found them quite natural, but kind of intellectually speaking, I can maybe see why not every Chelsea Wolves fan out there in the world might maybe not dislike them, but not love them so strongly, which is kind of the impression I'm getting from you. And I think it's an interesting app to categorise because the Chelsea Wolves canon does reach very far sonically. but often her albums have a very contained specific vibe like Abyss is largely like an industrial doom album Hispun is her grunge rock album Birth of Violence is like a haunted folk album and She Riches Out to She Riches Out to She was very much like an electronica album particularly leaning on industrial and trip-hop sounds and this one is much less electronically based for the most part than that one was and we're often back to more kind of analog and acoustic instrumentation but if you were to compare that to Birth of Violence is the last time she did that. Birth of Violence is so stark and desolate. It really feels like a dusty wasteland, this record. Whereas this is quite lush and it does still have an array of instrumentation that ranges from the pure folk music but then up to integrating at times rock, bits of metal, at times still even some of the industrial sounds. They're just more sparingly used to accent the appropriate moments and I think it's quite holistic. as a chelsea wolf album but at the same time i i don't feel quite right saying a jukebox quality because i think it's more cohesive than that but within the paradigm of chelsea wolf albums you know what i mean like it this does sort of um it feels a little bit more like a a greatest hit so to speak where you've got 10 songs that um it is you know it's concise as a record and uh it maybe like reaches out and plucks different things rather than really like sitting in one world i think maybe at her most fully immersive like on an abyss or a she which that's she which that's she it's like she creates a portal into something that you are just like stuck there for the duration of the record whereas this maybe is a little more i don't know broad.
Speaker 2: I agree this is not like one where again like abyss or she was actually are like the perfect examples of like that is a holistic experience where you are like in that one zone for that entire record and i think that's the thing i love about chest wolf is all of the records have that different zone places you in but those are the ones where you kind of go like you are surrounded by that album that particular sound in that moment this is i can kind of see why those quotes made that this is her this is the pop chelsea wolf record because i think it is like definitely the most pop kind of the songwriter has ever been and again that kind of like slightly broader eclectic approach kind of lends to that as well but i don't think it is like exclusively just kind of reduced down to the pop chelsea wolf record but it is just kind of like it touches on you know country there's bits of rock there's bits of metal there's goth it's kind of just sort of living in that dark world that she creates but through a kind of just i guess something that's a bit more inviting overall rather than just kind of like sucking you into like a black void like abyss does this is kind of just like come with chelsea wolf on this kind of like dark sort of journey but it is it's an easier journey to go on this time because it's it's a bit more kind of varied there's different tones different moods and it's got some of her like hookiest sort of songwriting she's ever done even if a lot of it is still in kind of like quite delicate sparse country songwriting it's a really like interesting and it is one of the harder records to categorize because it is just kind of broader in tone but i have found this album just to be such a delight and a joy to listen to because i i just i am the character that chelsea wolf brings to her music is just so sublime to me that I will hang off every word, and it's no different on this record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we were discussing sort of the advanced material, like what kind of Chelsea Wolf album this was going to be, because the double lead single she put out of the title track from this album, and Death Is Not The End, those two songs, they are quite different to one another, but they are both like, you know, quiet, acoustically based songs, so that kind of put us in one place. And then we got to Cold, and then particularly when Seed came out, like a week before the album actually came out, and those started to blow open the doors a bit of what we thought this was going to be, And one interesting detail about this album is she's working with a songwriting collaborator on this one, rather than just the usual sonic partners who are always there, like Ben Chisholm and et cetera, but an actual songwriting co-songwriter who's named Jen DeSilvio, who is a Grammy Award-winning pop songwriter who has worked with, amongst other people, Hosier and Miley Cyrus. And Chelsea said about this album that she wanted to really hone in on traditional songwriting structures and choruses, which is so funny, because you wrote Iron Moon... you wrote 16 Psyche, you wrote Deranged for Rock and Roll. You have choruses, you're not wanting for hooks. But that, I guess, was a particular focus this time around. And I think this does end up with this record feeling like, to me, it's still Chelsea Wolfe. It's still absolutely in her wheelhouse. I don't personally feel any alienation at all, if you're already a fan of what she's doing. But there is a little bit of that accessible, relatable polish to this one that is a little bit akin to that sort of alternative pop sound that so often from the actual pop world, I'm really not interested in. Like, I don't listen to Hosier, I don't listen to Lana Del Rey, etc. But conversely, I love acts like Chelsea Wolfe because of how, again, enveloping and shadowy and immersive they are. A huge problem I have with a lot of contemporary pop is how actually uncatchy it's in, and that kind of direction, that, like, softly spoken drab quality that a lot of pop now has is not what I want in pop.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: I think this record could have almost ended up in like a strange middle ground that maybe for some people out there it would but I don't know you give me Chelsea Walsh like more dark hearted answer to it and I do just like find myself really involved and lapping it up and there's one song on She Which Is After She Which Is After She that I highlighted at the time called A Place In The Sun that is the most like alternative kind of pop ballad on that album that to me it sounded like it's almost like Chelsea Walsh like darker mirror image to Lana Del Rey and even Billie Eilish and that kind of thing and I doubt she may have thought of it that way... But I think if you liked that song... That's a little like a gateway into this next record... And I think the most drastic example here... Is the first song Cold... Which is... Earlier I think when some of the singles were coming out... You compared them to like Goth, Florence and the Machine... And when the final chorus of that song... Has like this gorgeous bright... Like semi-gospel kind of instrumentation coming in... And melodically it's so fucking strong... That pre-chorus lifting the central hook is just incredible... It's like we're at Goth Glastonbury dancing around with our shoes off. It's sublime, I think.
Speaker 2: That song threatens to go gospel in that sort of final film.
Speaker 5: The backing vocalising. It is huge sounding. That song has so many hooks on it.
Speaker 2: When you go straight into it and you get the I'm letting you go, I'm letting you win thing, or the crying underwater, screaming at.
Speaker 5: The surface, there's like.
Speaker 2: so many sort of great vocal lines that like Chelsea and it still feels again I haven't that song it's so so good to me because it feels so true to the sort of dark gothic songwriting that Chelsea does but it's just bringing in these like sublime sort of vocal hooks with an electrifying performance from Chelsea that that does mean that it does avoid that kind of like dour alternative pop thing that it could have so easily fallen into and by the end where it does does swirl into something so stirring and so just evocative it's sort of example of like where going more pop has actually been the more interesting kind of songwriting curveball for Chelsea to take because of how she's fed it through her lens and it's just added a new dimension to her songwriting I think works brilliantly.
Speaker 3: See I this conversation has actually sort of revealed what it is that maybe my problem with this record is because Every reference when you made it, when you said hosier, I just want my shoulders to go.
Speaker 1: See, I don't like that stuff is the thing. I don't. I just think Chelsea, for me, she is a songwriting voice that I feel so connected to that I just think that she's just able to take something that I'm often not wild about and just, for me at least, turn it into magic.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah. Listen, Chelsea is such a magnetic presence that she can overcome... some of the quirks or some of the style of songwriting on this record that i'm less keen on and there are moments where i think it really was you know the dark i think more stuff like big thief and phoebe bridge that stuff which i'm more keen on than the hosier end of things and when it's done by chelsea wolf i think that's great death is not the end really reminds me of grouper which is again no bad thing but some of these songs like dancer in the sky halo Humours, some of those, I don't want to cast aspersions. When I listen to those songs, those kind of feel like cut-off cuts from one of those other artists you mentioned. And it's like, okay, well, you don't sing as you want them. I'll give them to Chelsea Wolfe. There are certain songs in here which feel like they.
Speaker 1: In.
Speaker 3: The songwriting itself, sort of lack... that Chelsea will flare. And she brings it in the performance, so you almost don't notice, but I think it's why those songs haven't enraptured or enveloped me the way that pretty much every record she's done since I've been a fan has managed to.
Speaker 1: Right, because there's a song, I'm Not There, later on, which is one of the most straight-up prettiest, fragile songs that she's ever done. But I hear that chorus, and I don't know... You know when... unsuspecting ballad songs from like major pop artists just get really fucking huge on TikTok or something I could imagine that happening to that song like you know I don't know what the rules are if that was allowed to happen or whatever but the way it has that kind of like real high-pitched angelic kind of elements to it like I think the chorus itself is just strong enough to kind of transcend into that kind of realm um it's interesting you mentioned Halo because Halo to me feels like the most old-school Chelsea Wolfe song on this, where it's the most, like, birth-of-violency, really, like, downtrodden, Americana kind of Chelsea Wolfe. Like, I love those kind of acoustic riffs that sound like they are coughing on the air of all points east the other day, actually. But, like, this kind of folk music, I just have to admit that no one has ever really done it in a way that I like more than when Chelsea Wolfe does it. And... I think that's an example of the foundation of what she was doing. But then you take that kind of sound and you inflect it with that more vibrant flavour. Going back to The Dark and Death Is Not The End, now we have a better idea of the album. Both of them have a really interesting quality. I think both are Hall of Fame Chelsea Wolfe songs. The Dark is a straight-up pure folk song. It's just Chelsea and an acoustic guitar almost all the way through. But there is something about those melodies, even the picking pattern on the guitar when it comes in, it just feels bigger. It feels like every bit of space that needs to be filled is being done so. And that is a basically flawless song, a heart-achingly, perfectly beautiful piece of music. And that refrain of, you know, to be the bee, the darkest thing in the woods, it is, to me, maybe as quintessential a song Chelsea Wolfe could do that you could imagine, because it's about finding... beauty and comfort in the dark and in the you know the quiet and untouched places of the world that's why the album is called the dark you know and this album the way it has that you know slight you know, brighter for her standards pop flavour, but it's coming at that from the shadows, right? Like, from the other side of the coin. It is like a massive warm embrace of night, and like a reassuring cloak of shadow, which is something that I've always loved about Chelsea's music, but this song is like a, well, it's a manifesto for that, and when it lifts, and you get that dirgy bit of doom metal guitar at the end, it just feels like it's like you're flying, you know, it's somehow, like, the inverse of what that guitar should make you feel, but in her hands, it just fucking goes like that, and then Death Is Not The End is equally, if not more stunning, and once again, it's using those, you know, kind of gothic language in those fixations, but it's about hope, you know, it's reassuring, and I think this song is the work of just, like, a major, major songwriter, like, even just the imagery of, like, keep hoping that death is like an ocean and I'm floating like an angel in the kelp is something that's stuck around in my head, like, since I first heard it. and the way it goes from the sparsest, most hushed song on the album, to then, again, that wall of trademark Chelsea Wolfe doom guitar hitting that you wouldn't get from anyone else, you wouldn't get from any of those old pop artists or whatever. You have, in that last drop, an incredible percussive industrial beat, which are actually contributions from Robin Fink, formerly of Nine Inch Nails, that have been naturally laced into what was originally this very analogue acoustic song, And it shifts the whole song on its axis in a way that's just exactly right. It is... Moments like that, I think, are just transcendently brilliant.
Speaker 5: Death is not the end. It's not working. Because it's like... It's so fragile and so delicate to begin with.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: Chelsea was such a way to be still commanding in her presence. Even when she is at her most kind of like... Porcelain and ethereal.
Speaker 1: And like.
Speaker 2: It's genuinely like... Captivating. And when you finally get to that kind of like... Doom bit in the middle... And that gorgeous kind of like guitar that comes in with Chelsea soaring over it. I'm like, this is where, again, all the sort of pops on that capacity you can make. They can't do what she does on this album where she, again, the, the Paula things you can call from genuine love for, for dark shadowy music and like, not just music, but like the culture that surrounds kind of like on the dark, on the outskirts of society. I think the title track is just, so amazing how that's from just so much with so little and you can say about every track again 10 songs has its place has the thing it does like some of them might sort of start in similar kind of acoustic terrains but they'll take it to different things like halo i think like is the coolest song on the record this almost like kind of like a bit of sleaze to the dusty country thing the whole get up let's go for ride got my halo on the other side the kind of delivery of that is so just like captivating and she just sounds like the coolest person in the world delivering those lines i think like every song here and this place we have like we haven't we've kind of skipped over what is the like the real ace on this record it comes right at the start but i'm sure we'll get to it but i mean this record is full of just like so many moments of beauty of pain of sorrow of all the things i kind of go to a chelsea wolf record for it's just there's less of a kind of like I don't want to say a wall, but it is, she's holding a hand out to you more, this one, to sort of guide you into the world, where again, I could quite easily hand this to people who I would not hand Abyss to, because I think they would just be put off by how suffocating that record is, this record doesn't have that, I just say it has that warm embrace of the darkness, that it's not a bright, fun, pop record, it is still a dark, shadowy, moody record, but it's just, it welcomes you more than anything she's fought, and I think that is like, To be able to make that work, have something that is so dark and shadowy, but so comforting and nice to listen to, is such an amazing balancing act, and I think Chelsea Wolfe is just so superb at it.
Speaker 1: For sure, and I believe that you're referring to Steve there. I am referring to Steve. There's also an interesting thing she does on this record where even on the The songs which really have those dark edges in the heavier sense, they still have a more pronounced accessibility to it. You've also got, one of my favourites on this record is Swallower, which I think is a fucking fantastic song. The main riff and the melody that that is built on, such a really strong foundation to it. It's got a kind of Pixies Where Is My Mind quality. but through the spectral filter of Chelsea Wolfe, that she just crushes it. And when Troy Van Leeuwen from Queens of Stone Age comes in with the wailing lead towards the end, which is another of those great partnerships that I'm glad is still being maintained between the two of them when he sticks his head in occasionally, is just fantastic. And it's catchy from the second the song starts, but it just has these powerhouse moments that her and the members of her band just absolutely crush. But Zeve is just a growling, lurking. Rocker with incredible groove to it like the fill that brings in the main beat after the intro and the little drum grooves that you get like throughout the verses and stuff that really keep it alive i think production on it is phenomenal like the kit alone sounds perfect but when you heard that it was like oh damn like you know she has done you know rock songs before again you know 16 psyche whatever but there's something like just um so so grooving about that one that does feel like a little fresh for the catalogue It's.
Speaker 2: A floor filler in a way that I don't think she's ever, like again, like you said, she's done rock songs, but Steve is a genuine kind of like gothic sort of dancey floor filler. It's got intensity that, the way it comes along, there's a sort of thrumming bass that sort of pulsates along. chelsea like she sounds pissed off and angry in a way that she doesn't always do and it's like brings real intensity when she's like got my knife in my pocket and you're top of my list like that's a hard line from chelsea wolf and and again when you get to that chorus it's it's a simple chorus and her voice is doing the more ethereal thing but it is just propulsive and driven and just like like in terms of where she's just going in this like delicate way she better run but it it just brings a menace one of the coolest songs she has ever done i think it is one of my absolute favorite songs this year hands down i think is just a total instant classic for me hearing it live the other like again like hearing it live i was kind of like jesus christ this now in the middle of the set where she's done all these like really dark songs and acoustic songs and then just dropping this absolute banger out of nowhere like it's unbelievable i think like the best release attention that like builds on the verse of that chorus i like again i can't say enough good things about steve i think it is like so good Yeah, this is, of.
Speaker 3: The three songs on the record which I do think really work, Seed is the third that I haven't mentioned. It's the most full-on pop song on the record, but it's so well arranged. The timbres are just right, which is always a thing with this sort of goth pop thing. Again, Chelsea Wolfe is so sophisticated when it comes to production that it's no surprise really, but all the crackles that you get from that, it's so textured. more so than a lot of artists when they do this sort of thing, it sounds like a plug-in, but it just sounds alive and breathing, and it's a really catchy vocal melody, and again, delivered by someone of her talent, it's superb. I think maybe that was a song, other than the other two I mentioned, where I thought that's where the record was going to go, because people were saying this is her pop album, and I was thinking less hope, and Lana Del Rey and that sort of thing and I thought are we going to be getting the jams from Chelsea Wolfe and the album is absolutely not that and I think maybe it's a framing issue because the songs I went in with more knowledge of or at least could hit more to my expectations I was able to glob onto more quickly and Seath was one of those.
Speaker 1: Right yeah um for me there are these like i said sonic elements that are so quintessentially chelsea wolf that i didn't feel any again sense of too dramatic a shift or throwing the baby out with a bath or anything like that because even when like i said the first two songs were these kind of primarily acoustic songs we thought that could be the direction of the record the i was quite surprised when i got these more industrial leaning elements on it but it's very subtly and seamlessly layered in throughout it, where a song like Humours has these little pops of electronica throughout. It's almost like a Chelsea Wolf with a goth pop song that really quietly simmers, but it has these really, again, bubbling around the peripheries, seamless elements to it. Turn the Key was a real head turn within the album, just because when that swamp of doomy synth at the start comes in, with those strange echoing percussion sounds, that's way more like something you'd hear on abyss like a song like color of blood or something but what you get here is um you know that mention of like real traditional songwriting structures and stuff like when a song like that with those sonic elements when it moves into like there's a big bridge when the slide guitar and everything comes in and there's a really big like bridge melody that's really like pronounced and focused on it feels like those elements within the songs are just again it's like they're hammered in a little bit more like there's a really huge moment in the song and then you mentioned earlier the closer dancer in the sky which is definitely on this album it's maybe the brightest song leaning like the most into that kind of balladeering territory but in such like a beautifully like angelic you know the layers of vocal arrangement I can definitely see like why that song might feel a little left of centre for me for me it still really worked and I think for me the thing I was impressed about on this is just how naturally all this stuff sat on her like cold even though we described it in the way that we did i think melodically in her inflections and her voice it's still a chelsea wolf song through and through the dark and like i'm not there are these kind of you know indie folk songs but they have her artistic dna stand all over it um there's i never felt any point in this where even though they're it she's had this bit of help on it there's nothing where she's like deliberately chasing something and i think if she was a lesser artist i we could feasibly end up with something that, you know, makes us want to gag, you know, like I'm sure a great number of albums in this sort of contemporary lane, you know, relatable to this might well do, but instead it has a pinch of that to it. And then all these other things that I'm already really connected to with Chelsea Wolf. And it's just continued to like with every listen I've given to it, just continue to really impress me.
Speaker 2: I just want to like chime in on Dancing in the Skylight. That is such a, just this beautiful, classy kind of like, closer and the thing is is like you said the things that make it so central like lyrically as well when some of the lines she's delivering another it still fits within her world at like and which is like dance from the sky reach between the veil to find me that that just sounds like that could fit on a chelsea wolf song that that because it has that element of like i guess kind of like etherealness and and that to it which again stops it from feeling too much like uh a twee folky kind of like pop song that it could land you know this is not taylor swift folklore evermore kind of like attack approaches that something which again like it it's not a million miles removed from what like those albums were attempt to do but this is just doing that again with that veil of darkness with that shadow behind it that feels so authentic to chelsea wolf but just brings in the elements of pop and it what it is is it's not her changing herself to fit pop music it's her changing pop music to fit her style of songwriting which i think is the key to what makes this album work for me where if it felt as if this felt so much like chelsea wolf realigning herself and changing her approach and everything about it like and again maybe she has because she had a collaborative songwriter but it never feels like she is forcing herself to sound a different way to what is not the natural chelsea wolf thing and that's why i think the sort of deviation she makes this record works so well because it's her making that her own rather than changing and that that is the key to why this album for me is is up there like it's not you know she's actually his spine is like my favorite kind of stuff so i wouldn't put it on those records but i would really like this is still just a sublime record from what someone who i think he's just one of the best artists in our sphere and it is worthy of her catalog.
Speaker 3: Yeah i think for me it's going to take more time than that there's there's like i said there's nothing to it where i can point to and go oh she's fucked that up hasn't she like it's You know, she's not really capable of that. I think maybe it's, like I said earlier, it might be something of a framing issue. It might take a few weeks for me adjusting to whether this is the album and sort of taking it on its terms. As of today, like I said, I can only be honest, and this is probably my... Well, it feels wrong saying it, because it is still, like, very well made. It's probably my least favourite of... Certainly since Apocalypse, I'd have to go back to the debut and have another think. But I'm willing to say, you know, It's not you, it's me. I'm always willing to accept responsibility this time.
Speaker 1: Sure, I will concede. Like I said, this is one of the major milestone albums in the catalogue, even though in some ways I'm sure that every album to a degree is, and some of the developments this has and the collaborations she's had and the connections she's made are important. I don't think this is going to be my album of the year again, the way the last one was. But it's still going to be up there. So Chelsea Wolfe, The Dark. And we move on from there to the hottest topic, I suppose, right now, of all the ones we've got in this particular batch. We are going to talk now about Electric Callboy, who the other week released their album Tans Need. We are six years now into what we might call the decade of Callboy. They, of course, had been around for a long time under a different name, but their dramatic turn of fortunes truly changed in 2020. in the midst of the pandemic, with honestly maybe the song I associate with that whole period insanely, Hyper Hyper, which started a snowball that truly none of us could have seen coming. Their last album, Techno, in 2022. cemented that uh that hyper hyper train and really capitalized on this newfound momentum they've had and now bam would you look at that electric cool boy are fucking massive now four years between techno and this new studio album tans need but for reasons we are certainly about to get into it never feels like electric cool boy went away for even a moment they have done an exceptional job of forcing themselves under your face whether you like it or not at all times truthfully for a long while there when we were getting you know singles drip thread from this album And they were threatening to gear up for another album release. I was thinking we might skip reviewing this one because I figured we had probably said at this point the vast majority of what needed to be said about Electric Cowboy. The Hyper Hyper EP and the Techno album I think are fun releases, but I don't know how much of like, you know, how more of a consistent rate I need, a growing boy really needs. I figured this album, we almost certainly knew what Sam was going to think of it. I kind of knew what I was going to think of it. And Elliot, I can't imagine you were going to come out with some dramatic revelation either. People know at this stage whether you were into Callboy or not. But two things happened with the rollout of this album that made me reconsider that it was worth having a chat about. One is that they were announced to be headlining both Vakken and Bloodstock, making them a genuinely massive band in a way that we haven't quite truly reckoned with before this. And second, the actual rollout campaign for this album... Was weird in a way that seemed quite different For a rock band of that size So we are going to talk a bit About the actual music on this album Spoilers, I bet Sam hates it I think there's a couple tracks I'll spotlight them later But I think actually what is more interesting And a little bit different about this review Is the actual Release strategy of this album And the time leading into it I think deserves some conversation Because it seems kind of abnormal for us.
Speaker 2: So ignoring my feelings on the songs this is i feel like the least an album has actually ever felt like a one that we've reviewed a poured over piece of art that has been assembled and put together by a band who give a shit about what they're doing And instead they have assembled a product to sell.
Speaker 1: This is worthless.
Speaker 5: This is garbage. And that's where we can get into the songs.
Speaker 1: We're back.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: A year ago, I was softening on Callboy because I saw them live when I'd been at a slam dunk where they'd seen some terrible music and Callboy were actually not that. i'm back to having the claws out for this band i like i think this album is just what's the point why the bands don't care about this record why should we care like this is a like again i'm not going to say they don't care about every song there are songs on this album that i i think that i've clearly actually had a bit of time poured into them there are other songs that's the same fucking electric cowboy song again doing the same fucking tricks being lazy as hell because they're hacks um and they can't take anything seriously and everything has to be drenched in irony and it's just full of annoying shit like that And there are a couple of songs that I'm like, okay, fine, that's pretty good. But as an album as a whole, this is so just, again, worthless to me. I don't see why anyone should give a damn about this.
Speaker 3: It's a weird thing to do if you're a band who ostensibly should care about making art. Because the release strategy for this record, by releasing eight of the ten songs before it comes out, some of them two and a half years in advance, because that Rata Tata song I'd forgotten existed, and then I went, when did this come out again? It came out earlier in 2024 or something. These songs are old by the time this has got to you, and I've been thinking about it since listening to this record. Is it possible to make an album that is satisfying as a whole but also you can release basically the whole thing as singles completely separate from it and then compile them later when you've heard them all and it'd still be a rewarding listen because I'm not sure it is it's a completely different incentive structure to making a good interesting album I'm not saying they have to come out and try and make Crack The Sky I'm not asking Callboy to do that but even the big rock albums where we think every song's a jam like Back In Black Hysteria Let's pick something more modern like Impera or whatever. Those albums still have ebbs and flows and ups and downs and pickups and drop downs in energy. And that can only really happen when you're making an album in the context of trying to make an album, when you're considering those things. Electric Callboy might not have done that anyway. I'm open to that. Maybe they're less interested in the idea of... Actually, they're quite interested in things going up and down, I'll say that.
Speaker 1: But....
Speaker 3: In the sort of flow of an album, maybe if they were forced to think about albums in terms of albums, they'd think about it a bit differently. But, listening to this record, it doesn't sound like they're capable of it. Which, fine, there's nothing wrong with releasing singles, but when it, like you were saying, when it comes time to release the record, it can only ever feel like an afterthought, like an obligation, or let's just park these songs and then now that's done. Like, that's kind of what it feels like, which, if you're not that fussed, it's hard for someone like me who i might describe as like a corn boy agnostic to come over to the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah this is what i thought was interesting about this album you know interesting to talk about because i think hearing what we have to say about the music on this album is not the interesting part of this conversation really um but the question of like when is an album not an album is one i'd like did really start to consider um with this because If you look at the track that's for this album, you might say that the campaign for this started with Rattata, the collab track with Babymetal, which was released May the 23rd of 2024. Which, for a comparison point, because we were just talking about it, Chelsea Wolfe's previous album, She Which Is That She Which Is That She, was released about three months before that. And remember when she did those re-workings EPs over the course of that year with the re-mixing and acoustic versions and so on? The first of those EPs came out in August 2020. So the rollout for this album that we are reviewing The same week as the new Chelsea Wolfe album Started before the rollout campaign For her previous one that she has now followed up Had finished And when I put this album on the other week And that song came on I couldn't believe it because it was already on Babymetal's album It was on Babymetal's album I've already heard this on an album last year And I feel like I've been hearing that song for so long Never actually by choice I've never sought out Rattata In terms of Babymetal collabs It's no Kingslayer, it's not one of my favourite Callboy songs I don't mind it, it's fine, but, like, the fact that the collab song exists, that then appears on both albums, as if it's trying to maximise, you know, streams and audience across both of them, it's a very pop strategy. When you look at, like, pop album rollouts, and you might have, I don't know, Zara Larsson or someone, or I bet loads of, like, major EDM artists will do this as well, their album will have a single that was released, like, two years before or that will then be put on it as kind of promotional afterthought and it might have again the collabs across both records or whatever even though the rest of the album was clearly created like away from those songs it's much more from that mindset and when I like do the news for the hyperblasts and I tend to you know we tend to look for like a first single from an album because that is the confirmation that an album is coming and it might give us a like an insight into what the album might sound like and then when it comes to the point where I'm looking week upon week and it's like here's the fourth electric cowboy single here's the fifth electric cowboy single I just kind of look over them for that new show. Like I don't put them in, um, particularly with a band like cool boy where, you know, basically you're going to click on that single and it might have a different gimmick every time, but every time that single is going to be, it's fun, it's upbeat, it's silly, you know? So it's kind of not interesting to talk about over the course of like six separate conversations over the course of a year. You know what I mean? That's why we do an album review. Um, and I admit that like my mind is programmed to view the album as the end goal and the singles lead into it. Um, Because, you know, the album is the kind of umbrella that they belong to, is like the interesting thing to talk about. And that is the rock mindset that I, as a, you know, fundamentally a rock fan, that's my traditional perspective. Whereas the way that they've approached this is much more like the release of each individual single is the goal. And then the album is just kind of like the binder at the end, where it's just, you know, the cherry on top, where they get filed into one place. And I think it is almost down to an interpretation of what is an album, because... You think about the Word album, you might have a photo album, and a photo album doesn't tend to be crafted all in one place with a specific narrative or one point in time. It is a binder of disparate snapshots. But I think a studio album, we do think more aspirationally about what they might be. Past the Ratatat Colab song, you might go, okay, that's an outlier, that's a separate thing. The first solo Electric Cowboy single for this album was Elevator Operator, which was released in January 2025. At some point they changed drummer during all of this because they got the Sum 41 guy in. And it is interesting to think about how this might impact the end product because this album, even though they are now headlining a major UK festival next year, this album landed at number 62 on the UK album chart. Which, yes, is not a terrible score compared to all the rock bands we talk about who don't really chart at all. But considering that's the position they're now in, that suggests a big disconnect between the people who are going to enjoy them at live shows, who will absolutely be there for that Bloodshot headlining slot, and maybe the people who bump the single on their gym playlist when it comes out or whatever, and then the people who are actually fucking buying a vinyl copy or whatever this might be, even if their album did come with a Lego set or whatever. And so you might say by that metric, oh, the albums have failed. Look, it's not charted super high. But the album kind of being a non-event is like incidental for Coolboy, I think, and their strategy, because their strategy is to be omnipresent with singles and viral moments and so on, rather than having the big crowning moment of the album to hang their reputation on, the way we view almost every other band that we review. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So I get you but the other thing then it feels like is like no one's actually talked about this album outside of the arguments we've had in our discord I've not seen anyone actually talking about oh yeah the Electric Cowboy album is out it's been.
Speaker 1: A complete because it's not as important as the singles this is what we're saying.
Speaker 2: No because that's when everyone's heard the singles so by the time the album came out and it was like eight of the singles were there and like you know when you actually get the album you get four remixes and two new songs Really, you have 10 songs on this album, one of which is a fucking cover. And most of the others have been out there. Again, I saw them play that cover at Slam Dunk last year. I saw them play Elevator Operator. I saw them play a huge chunk of this album at Slam Dunk last year. And it feels like there's been nothing new. And again, I was willing to, again, soften my stance on Callboy a year ago. And this album is just kind of like, no, because this band are anti-art. They do not care about the art they're creating. They want to sell their Lego set. But the overall experience for Callboy now is just so exhausting where I'm just sort of... The wacky Eurodance sort of electronic symphonic band shouldn't be boring. I think this album is really fucking boring. I think the entire experience is like genuinely just tiresome because it's all been out there for so long that when you hit play on.
Speaker 5: This album, there's nothing to actually... catch your attention.
Speaker 2: And it so quickly becomes background noise because that's what these songs have just sort of been allowed to be because they've been out there for so long and not something that anyone anyone involved has sort of put any care or.
Speaker 3: Effort into see I think if an album's great it can survive almost anything and this rollout strategy being kind of tedious and boring and taking all the excitement away from it If the album was fantastic, it's possible that in five, ten years, we'd almost forget that that's how it was released. We'd just remember this collection of bangers. And, you know, techno, which isn't now my love, is still an album that people talk about fairly often. And people say, oh, that's a great song, and that's a great song. And that had like five or six singles come out ahead of it. Like, that was, you know, released maybe in like half of the majority, and songs come out months and months before it came out. Nothing quite as egregious as this. But that feels like an album which... No one treats it like it's a London calling or whatever, but it's like people still go like.
Speaker 1: Techno is the Electric Callboy album experience in a way that this isn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's like... So I was trying to think of albums to compare it to and going, if this had been released a similar way, what would we think? And it's like, honestly, I think if Permission to Land had gotten this kind of release strategy or I Get Wet or Chocolate Starfish or whatever big party rock anthem... Party rock anthem? Party rock album you want to talk about, I think those could survive it because the songs are there. Again, I'm not maybe the person to ask, but listening to this record, I could think of maybe two songs, and one was the Babymetal song, where I could remember virtually anything about it, in terms of how it actually sounded. It was that and Heart Club, which has that I was born enough hook, which isn't amazing, but it's fairly catchy. It at least isn't pure Eurodance.
Speaker 5: That's the one where they try and actually just do a metalcore song, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe it's... remarkable for being less remarkable i don't know but like listening to this record it's it's not like again it's compared to something a bit more pop like whether it's i was gonna say the prodigy but let's even say like cascader and scooter and stuff like that maybe those bands aren't about really great albums. But certainly something like The Prodigy is there's great singles, there's variety, there's all sorts of other stuff going on. So the fact it's more single-oriented doesn't really matter. In the case of this, I really just think the album is... It's a bit of a shrug. Like, even with or without the release, I think if you went into this having not heard any of the songs at all, you'd come away and say, oh, that Babymetal song was quite big, the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: So, as much as the release strategy has kneecapped the enthusiasm for it, it doesn't help that the album's not all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing that I thought was academically interesting I wanted to talk about here was the, again, the different almost... viewing of what an album is and what purpose it serves compared to the average rock band where callboy strategy with this like i said the album being a shrug isn't doesn't matter to them because they've already won with all of the singles they've been putting out for ages right their strategy is again viral spread maximizing streams playing the chart game whatever and i'm not anticipating that because electric callboy have done that that like you know the underground bands we're going to talk about later are going to start doing this like i think it is particular to maybe cool boy and their their model so to speak i just thought it was an interesting case study in that we are you know unapologetic rock fans who do maybe hold a more traditional idea of the album in some kind of higher esteem and i don't think we're used to being presented with something like this and i do think that um like coming up with lots of separate ideas for like what would be a viral single and then putting them together now you can really feel that track to track right because you've got you know ratatouille leading the way of the made not collab And then they go, okay, who else can we ring up to try and also get a bit of cross-demographic spread? The Offspring with Let the Good Times Roll, which is not something I need in my life. Elevator Operator, I don't really like. It feels somehow even more like a novelty song than just like... The thing I like Cool Boy doing the most is when they do just a legitimately good, catchy Eurodance chorus. They have a specific kind of melody that I think they're brilliant at. And when they do a different kind of melody, anywhere else outside of that, it falls flat. Like the fucking Oompa Loompa hook in Reverie is not what I need them doing. There's also then a hideously transparent attempt to re-execute the gag from a song from the last album with the, wouldn't it be funny if we started doing a really, really pop song?
Speaker 5: And at the end the backstreet boys yeah the.
Speaker 1: End we do a big crazy heavy breakdown with the way you are and the song hurricane from the last album i know that the joke is tired but hurricane is genuinely fun and brilliant before it goes all greeby and heavy because like the joke transition there is not the entire appeal of the song to me like the first part of it is really fun and this maybe it's because i i mean i know you do sam so this will be you know um kind of the other side of it but i have no like attachment or affinity to the music that they're parodying here like the backstreet boys or in sync or whatever like i don't hold any love for it so it's less fun to me than them doing like the big schlager thing that they did at the start of hurricane because that also felt so uniquely german that felt like a joke that only they could do whereas this is a much i don't know tackier broader more cynical joke then you have like we said The Sum 41 Still Waiting cover. And I think, you know, maybe to a degree we're being hypocritical because, like, Unto Others covered Halloween by the Misfits live for ages and then they finally recorded it on their EP last year and that was like, yeah, good, we've had that around for ages in a live environment, it's good to get a recorded version. But because this is part of this album where every other element is like this, this just feels more cynical and more like, hey, people like that one, bundle it into the album. So that also means there's even less new material on the album again because there's that on there. And then there are four remixes. tacked onto the end of the standard edition of the album. So there is something like two tracks from this that are totally original to the moment when the album was released in its entirety. As someone who, you know, I do at least enjoy when Electric Callboy hit full capacity, there are two songs this album that I would say I like. Neither of them are even ones that you've mentioned, but me as the person, like I said, I like when Electric Callboy do essentially like Cascada or Scooter, but set to, you know, Metalcore, like that kind of Eurodance chorus. So the title track. yeah tans need at the start which actually that kind of electro groove that it has really reminds me of a funk groove and uh the king of funk is of course cord hell it really sounds like the song murder on my mind his huge hit mr cord hell of course is mick kenny from anamnothrack so the anamnothrack influence on major metalcore does continue in the most unlikely of places um but like i said i like when they've got those cascadery type hooks and tans need has that and the best one I love Hypercharged And I have no fucking knowledge or interest In Brawl Stars Which is apparently a video game Online mobile.
Speaker 2: Game Exploitation or gacha shit.
Speaker 1: It has a credit on the actual song On your streaming services I thought it was an artist because of that But I looked it up and it's a game I'm an old man, I don't know what Brawl Stars is, but I do like when Electric Callboy sounds like Caramel Danson, because I can't help it, it unlocks some latent 2009 part of me, and that, I think, is a monster tune, and they drop that at Bloodstock next year, and I will be pumping like crazy. I think they do have earworms, there is an art to nailing those Eurodance melodies, and Callboy, when they decide to do them and not other nonsense, are masters of them. And to be honest, that's all I need, like, those two songs, fine, they're not going to be in my album of the year list, are they? Like, I'm Look at me, I'm a serious man with serious tastes. What do you take me for, a fool? But give me a couple of absolute ragers to have some fun with, fill in the set list, and sure, fine. And Tanznid and Hypercharged, I don't mind Heart Club either. Sure, great. As an album, it is like techno, but in every capacity more forced and more like they're trying to, you know, bank on the same thing going well again. And I think some of the charge of, certainly I think about the big Hyper Hyper moment for them. And the charm of that was this like, almost magic fairy tale story of it didn't feel so machinating. It was this band who nobody paid any mind to for a decade and they suddenly came out with arguably the song of the year. And I fear that spontaneity of that is something that we will never get again out of Electric Corp. And we will be chasing this in this more, just as I said, banking on it again and again and again kind of fashion.
Speaker 2: That's the thing though, we are six years into riffing on Hyper Hyper. For me, this is just another nail in the coffin of what commercial mainstream metalcore is becoming, which is, again, the nadir of heavy music and just the worst thing to be going on. And as someone who should love metalcore, the cool boy are just kicking it further down the line. And I was kind of praising them for not being the worst of that sort of thing. And on this album, give me techno over this. Techno as an album is so much more valuable to the tapestry of music than this album is. Because at least that has a handful of songs, again, I hated at the time, but have existed in my mind. I will erase, whether it's like Ratatat and the fucking Sum 41 cover, the rest of this album is going to be gone from my memory tomorrow to never be thought about again. And I mean, that is again why I think this album just has no value, no worth, no purpose in what we do.
Speaker 5: And I was like, why review this?
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 5: You're your kind of case study.
Speaker 1: Of like, Mate, you could have listened to the album one and I would have accepted that because I really wanted to talk about the album strategy. I'm not surprised you think it's bollocks.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, if this becomes the norm, again, bands I like that are probably going, like, I like Ice Nine Kills, they're going down the street and I'm like, I've stopped caring about them now because I'm, fucking bored of them putting out a single based on a different movie every six months.
Speaker 5: And it's like, just release a goddamn album. You release two great albums in a row.
Speaker 2: And then you've thrown away that strategy to do this drip feed, always in the streaming, always just going to come out in the moment thing.
Speaker 5: And I've just stopped caring. And I'm more and more bands are going to do that.
Speaker 2: And again, like I say, and it's going to be in the metalcore sphere where it's happening the most, because that's what is popular metal. And that's all of these bands who can't have an original thought to save their life are going to copy that. I mean, I think you could even chase this line back to sort of bring me the rise a little bit on some of the post-human stuff. Well, they were sort of drip-feeding singles for a long time before that second post-human album came out. But this feels at the peak of like, oh, the end result, it actually doesn't matter now. Because at least post-human next time was like, bring out a proper album there. This is not an album. This is a hodgepodge of half-thought-out songs that you released and that you've then slapped some remixes on to sell a Lego set with to say you can then charge 80 quid for the album or some shit like that.
Speaker 5: Fuck it.
Speaker 1: Worthless.
Speaker 3: So for the first person I ever heard talk about this release strategy before Bring Me The Horizon started doing it or like Machine Head looked like they were going to do it. The first person I remember hearing say that they might give this a go was Weird Al Yankovic because he realized that in the modern age songs come and go too fast. You record a parody by the time the album comes out it's gone. So maybe just release the parodies when the songs are relevant and then compile them all later. And he decided that that would be... That that would cheapen his art. So I think if you're a band, considering going down this route, go... Big love for Weirdo Yankovic, by the way. Great guy. But if you think he finds it a bit daft, silly, and cheapifying of what he does... Actually, I'm saying that. I was talking about Electric Callboy. Of course I don't fucking care. Obviously they're doing this. But I think even if. Even with its strategy, if this record was great, it'd be fine. This album is like pale imitation of techno for me, which I'm not even that keen on.
Speaker 1: But what's going to happen next is Electric Cowboy will release a new single rather soon. They'll probably have a couple out by the time those Vakken and Bloodstock headlines happen. And then that will appear on an album that's out at 2028, at the earliest. This is, again, the strategy they're going down where the album is not the, I mean, we probably won't review, you know, Callaway albums from here because the albums, if that is the strategy, because the albums are not the thing that they're wanting to be reviewed, so to speak, you know what I mean? And I thought that was an interesting case study. Hypercharged is really big, though. Justice for Hypercharged. That's the best song on this record. Anyway, it was quite a busy month for Punk and Hardcore with quite a few prominent releases, you know, prominent names releasing records. But it did feel quite obvious which one we were going to go with. We are going to talk now about Living Weapon and their album A Death in the Family, a debut album that is a whopping 23 minutes in length. This is the newest band to come from the Vain slash Fleshwater stable. Not got the FM bit or whatever that was going on there for a bit, but they share the majority of their members with Vain, just not playing the same instruments. There's some swapsies going on. There had been a bit of bubbling for a couple of months before this release that those guys had something cooking. This record was going to be one to look forward to, even as a new band. And the kind of impact that I'm always chasing with something like this is when Vain released Arizona in 2018... which is a genuine modern classic now. Not just because we like it and we remember it fondly and think it's good, but now a lot of time has passed. The amount of people you see in Hardcore talking about what a huge album that was for them. I'm really... It warms my heart to see how well that album's aged and how fondly people remember it and that it has been kind of canonised because it really was that good and I think it's awesome that an album that we lived through and can speak about in being in somewhat recent memory can impact people's lives the way that that seemed to do. That splash of Davey Alma Rives, new band, they've got a couple of splits or EPs before it, it's 20-something minutes long and it fucking tore down the place. That's the sort of feeling that I think a lot of us are chasing. Not just from Vain themselves, who unfortunately seem to have just drifted into hiatus status, but any band like this. This, in a number of ways, is very different to that record and that band. I think it very clearly is a new band for creative reasons. But it is amongst the most caustic on impact debuts from the hardcore world that we've gotten in a while. So I figured let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: I just want to throw out, this band is not actually as new because this band formed whilst Vain was still active.
Speaker 5: They had an EP out in like 2021.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this band was like that.
Speaker 2: And then put on the shelf for a while. So like, this has been sort of long time cooking. But when it kind of reemerged that like, oh, Vain, we're getting this going again. I mean, I was a little bit as I'm like, Vain, come on, do something. But this was shelved. This clip was shelved when Fleshwater became the kind of all encompassing primary focus because Fleshwater got massive. Like, so, this song's on the Vanguard shelf, but now they've come back with this, and my God, does this album just tickle the spot for me. If you like mathy but sludgy hardcore in the vein of, like, Code Orange on I Am King, like, that kind of, I mean, this is, like, that's kind of the closest kind of, like, something, if you like that, this album is just serving that up, and oh boy, is that album, is this album for me.
Speaker 5: Like, the moment you hit play on this, and.
Speaker 2: You are just onslaught from the first level with this like mix of chaotic glitchy hardcore those like insane guitars doing laser pew pew noises and scratching and something like the guitars are like breaking under the intensity of how they've been played with just the most oppressive horrid sounding sort of hardcore squall this um from here in plan i'm like yeah i'm just in i'm just in on the sound of this it's not necessarily got the song strength of like vein on arizona but um just as a kind of like sonic explosion this album constantly just makes me smile and feel all giddy and sort of like yeah make the heaviest noises you can with this sort of mappy sludgy hardcore fusion yeah i mean i.
Speaker 1: For once i would downplay the code orange comparison because obviously the natural comparison that people have made is vain because it's those guys um and i think it's you know there's a bit of pushback to that because people go oh yeah it's a different band it doesn't just sound like vein which is true it is obviously relatable to them because it's got their fingerprints all over it but for me it's if you like the kind of math core of vein but what this really um deviated far into um is like if you took vein as like you know the starting point but then you took it a different direction cross that with the hugest streak of bands like Frontiera and Carbom. Like, the genuine brain-crunching sonic abuse of that strand of, like, sometimes not even what you could call hardcore, but just, like, skronky metallic noise. That's what, if we take this with, again... Laser pew-pew guitars. Yeah, within the sort of, again, vein, flesh, water, stable of bands, that is the sort of terrain that this particular band seems to be, you know, built for.
Speaker 5: Would agree i just.
Speaker 2: Think he's got the sludgy thing that's why i can i kind of go with the i am king thing but it's definitely got that that real kind of full-on mathy metallic chaos of something like frontier for sure.
Speaker 3: That was the thing that leapt to mind for me and uh full disclosure it's been a very busy week and i really needed this to be a straightforward once in once out beat down hardcore for the first time ever i was like give me the most basic room temperature IQ hardcore album you can offer me, and I see, like, they're called Living Weapon, the logo looks pretty, like, that way inclined, the length, it's nine songs, 23 minutes, I'm going, perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for, and then I am greeted with one of the densest, most, like, knotty, and just straight up fucking loud hardcore albums that I've heard from a new band in some time, and all the reference points, like, Frontier, Carbon, like, Quite naturally, there's some stuff like Meshuggah in there, Coalesce. In terms of just all that attack, when it gets really frantic, not far off stuff like The Locust or the math core of the late 90s, stuff like Dillinger, stuff of that ilk. Like I said, I love all the things I mentioned. On the particular day that I sat down to listen to this, I was not in the mood, but thankfully, I think these guys are seriously good at it. When this band go off the chain, in the same way that Frontier and Carbond Those bands sound wild... And... Feral... Even when it's technical... And it's dense... It's clearly a studio built project....
Speaker 1: It just.
Speaker 3: It sounds... Legitimately nasty... Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because the thing that amazed me about Vain... Is they were so ultra violent... That every... Like beat... Of that record... Every second where it pounds you... Like... Counted for something... Like it has so much precision... And in the second album... They lent even more... Into kind of the atmospheric stuff... And like the horror darkness... This, much more just like, seeks to overwhelm you. Like, it is so much noisier. I think it's way less groovy, for one thing, even at the high speeds, and it's much more spin you round in the washing machine and let you stumble and flop out afterwards. I think, even though there are definite mosh parts on it. But I think you would find it harder to mosh to this than you would Vain, for example, because it's just so much more obtuse. And I think for those reasons, I've not connected with this as strongly as I did the two Vain records, but that's fine. It's doing a different thing. For the ugliest violence you could pull out of these realms, it is hard to beat. There are basically no catchy songs on this thing. It is just being beaten and pissed on for 23 minutes and from directions that you had no way of preparing for them coming from. The first song, the first element, has these manic panic chords, but then it's like they're played in reverse. It's like they're being sucked up back into a vacuum cleaner from which they came. It's like a real whirlwind of an album intro. And then it has a minute of what amounts to an alarm going off and clearing a factory room floor until it finally hits its central mosh part. And when that does come in, it is fucking glass shattering. And then the outro of the song is a full avant-garde borderline jazz like drum kit freak out and that is your welcoming into the record and the reason I mentioned bands like Car Bomb and Frontier as I think the major you know if you like that for fans of thing is it has that similar level of what in the ever loving fuck are they doing to get these noises I think it is more hardcore based than those because it does have the mosh parts and it does have big breakdowns and so on But the thing that my brain is mostly doing is trying to keep up with, like, what are these laser beams being directly fired into my temples at an alarming rate? Like, this is a big noise record. Not in the harsh noise music sense, but in the what-the-fuck-are-those-noises sense, which is a distinct, you know, separate thrill, its own kind of category of album. Like, when the first two songs are just so, like, you get light speed and disorientating, but then when Dead Like You comes in at track three, and the bass at the start is, like... broken like it's like you've had it's almost like the first two songs were the normal band and then suddenly you get the chopped and screwed version at chapter three where they were at least recognizable as hardcore songs and then suddenly this fucking slurred industrial squelch noise comes out to follow them these moments these kind of intros on tracks just like just really keep you on your toes for the duration of it and just let you know you're never safe i.
Speaker 2: Mean like metastasis like was like track two like that is one where again the the sort of the sounds they are forcing out the guitar it just gives me such a kick i mean like the hardcore stuff comes from um because uh jonathan um he's like i think the bassist in veins the vocalist one he is like got much more like a typical kind of like that that hardcore sort of barked harsh vocal with less of the kind of like really shrill like frantic scream that um that he had on the um vein records but he is just kind of commanding and shouting at you and it is just kind of like going all over and then when they hit like this thing is the mosh parts when they do lock in someone this record are fucking unbelievably hard like it's they don't come around as sort of frequent as you might expect because again it's the record is more interesting kind of like doing all this other stuff and dizzying you around but like again the one at the end of metastasis just like clobbers you and that then going into dead like you which just has this like deranged cyber dirge sort of spiraling around and this song just kind of like uncurling into these sort of fast passages and Like, the song structures are, like, really unpredictable, and they are just designed to sort of dizzy you and leave you kind of, like, trying to piece together exactly what's going on. And it means, again, like, there's not the amount of, like, kind of shout-along hooks. It's kind of like, Rain were never the most hooky band, but they had the sort of, like, the pile-on mic-grab moments. There's really none of that here, because the songs aren't into that. It's just kind of, like, all about overwhelming you with, like, the sonic sense of belief, either, like, crushing riffs or... just the most fucked up, unpredictable sounds imaginable.
Speaker 3: But they do, you know, in terms of sequencing, they know how to pace themselves over the 23 minutes, because you get a path into Genesis, which is right in the middle of these four songs on either side of it. And after that just barrage nightmare that comes before it, you get this thing which is somewhere between a song and an interlude. It's as long as pretty much anything else on the record, but it's like I say, barely a song. It's heavy and it has live drums, but there's no electric instrumentation, really. It's like a sort of jazzy chiptune song, and there's just this.
Speaker 1: It's an absurd track.
Speaker 3: It's a crazy thing to put on the record, but also it provides a really nice respite. Yeah, it's still not quite feeling like respite, but then, I mean, you were talking about mosh parts. When that then introduces interspecies quality assessment, which just does the new level riff, but carbomifies it. It's like, who could possibly complain about that? And I do think there are enough of those on the record where if the idea of listening to stuff that sounds like Frontier and Car Bomb and the bands we've been mentioning so far sounds a bit daunting, there is enough of the swing-your-fists quota to make this... It's the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, when interspecies quality assessment comes in, it's quite relieving. because it's the thuggiest thing on the record. That normally would be so oppressive, but it's like, oh, sweet fist-swingy relief after Path of Genesis, which is... just a malfunctioning robot in the dead centre of the album, and I love that that song, it almost starts off like it's gonna groove, and then, oh no, actually it's broken. It's just completely abrasive, and too much of such, you've just gotta kind of let it do its thing. I mean, Dead Like You, before that, there's a bit in that that just legitimately sounds like a dentist drill, which is probably quite triggering to certain people. There are, I guess you would say, lead guitars all over this album, but they're just doing paranoid freakouts as tunelessly as they can. It's a very, like, bionic mechanized like you know computer feedbacky kind of record it's like you're looking into the whirring you know brain of a machine that is rapidly breaking down while you're like trying to fix it um and yeah the way they like offset and pronounce the mosh parts quite well um like the penultimate track is just a pure sludge dirge wall the noise but it's clearly setting up the closing track when no like compared which is slower than most of the record but it just feels like scary and violent and oppressive and that song does have an actual riff in it like a full-on kind of like a slower nail style honest to god riff which most of the songs like if they do have those they're at like warp speed and they're gone in a second but it's just so battering and like you know certainly considering the last record we spoke about it's good to get these examples of like legitimately extreme you know boundary pushing metalcore that is you know this is metallic hardcore but taking such a warped extreme i i don't think this is like vein level great or scratching that exact itch that i'm i am missing having scratched um since they decided to to vanish but you know that's again it's agreeable it's aiming for a different thing sometimes you need to have your brain reset by just an absolute fucking racket like it's like getting in an electric massage therapy chair you know and just go and then you get out and your joints have loosened up and that's kind of what this record does.
Speaker 2: Yeah i've just had just so much for me i mean it's kind of like the leaving process has like bits of like new metal in there almost which again like we're in this like crazed side of something that there are moments where they kind of like oh this is approaching a banger but they just can't like resist fucking it up so that's almost like a like almost like corn-esque kind of like bouncy new metal riff but then they just kind of like fuck with it and and anti starts laying in these like crazed backing vocals so like It's an album that just wants to constantly kind of like rattle you around and say like, you know, you can't sit anywhere for too long. If you thought you were getting comfortable with this record, have some of this batshit stuff. And that's just like a nice reset of an album that is just unafraid to just constantly throttle you and just sort of be a bit more kind of out there and explosive, which I think like, again, with the concept of hardcore, I think this is an album that has kind of just sort of stood out by just being so... batshit relentless. And that's why, in a way that, like, Carbom and Frontier haven't necessarily crossed over into your more typical hardcore train. This has kind of got hardcore kids excited about that kind of, like, insane, cyber-maffy, noisy, kind of metallic sort of sound. So I think they've clearly found a way to tap that into the more mosh-ready hardcore thing. And that's why, for me, again, I've just... Just had such a fun time with this rocker. And again, 23 minutes in and out. It's only really on the last song where it slows down a little bit. And even that avoids feeling like the typical slow down, hardcore dirge closer. Because it's still got enough mental shit going on in it.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe Perrin compared this to a massage chair.
Speaker 1: It's more like, have you seen Crimes of the Future? The more recent David Cronenberg film. For anyone who's seen that film, the chair that Viggo Mortensen sits in now when he's trying to digest food. That's what this album is. Go watch Chromes of the Future, Ellie.
Speaker 3: It's a great film.
Speaker 1: It's better than probably some of the films that you'll watch this year for your one-year quota. There you go. Living Weapon, A Death in the Family. As we, again, start to take a little perusal around the underground here, we are going from hardcore to heavy metal. It's been a minute since we reviewed just a proper heavy metal album, I think. The Night Eternal is the name of this band. Cold Velvet is the album. This is a name that you might start to see popping up more and more. It's definitely one where you look at the Euro festivals and they're starting to creep up those a little more. I don't know to what degree it's happening here in the UK, but maybe off the back of this one. I saw them supporting Blind Guardian here two years ago and I thought they were pretty good. These guys are from Germany. They released their debut album in 2021. This is now their third album. But we have a label jump here. Their first two albums were released on the very cool smaller German label Van Records, but now they are signed to Metal Blade. So I thought this would be a good moment to check in with this band and upcoming band and assess what we've got here. Obviously, I've given it away, the name of the game is Heavy Metal, but particularly with the Night Eternal, it is a kind of gothic-leaning strand of... of heavy metal where if you are a fan of unto others or in solitude that is very much the kind of target demographic we're talking about here or you know other bands we've had around in the underground like spell or sonia uh in a lot of cases this sort of wave that we've had you know kind of starting around 2019 ish um it's bands who heard what in solitude were doing around 2013 and have gone why don't we actually try and like make a go of turning that into a career and picking up that bat and running with it and in basically all those cases it's never as like genuinely sort of occult and real feeling with its like darkness and dangerous and in solitude but maybe a little bit more broadly accessible where we can play big festivals and support big heavy metal bands and the crowd will hopefully have a good time that's the kind of thing we're talking about with the night eternal it's probably not a surprise to you guys that i like this quite a bit right these are all my favorite things are you guys down.
Speaker 2: Yeah i like this i'm not kind of like wowed by them as a whole there are tracks on this i think are fucking brilliant i think when it hits it really does hit i think it gets a little bit one note but you know i think um where the world ends as an opener that that kind of just sort of gives me everything i could want in terms of like rock star kind of like power vocal that's drenched in mel and sort of melancholy but over you know galloping heavy metal riffs and it's got air grab potential and throw the horns potential it's got a grooving kind of bridge riff um it's got like pristine glistening sort of gothic guitar solos that whole where this world ends i stand alone is a big hook that final chorus sounds even bigger it kind of hits all the nice one notes where i think there's nothing on this album i dislike i think it's just kind of like it throws its all best foot forward with that opener and then kind of over the course of an album offers up seven or so other versions of that that are all pretty good but don't wow me in the way that the opening necessarily does but i still have a nice time when this is on.
Speaker 3: Perrin, you continue to surprise me. I can't believe you've brought us a German gothic heavy metal album called Cold Velvet with an inverted boost pitch and a cloaked statue on it.
Speaker 1: They've signed to Metal Blade! I thought it was worthwhile!
Speaker 3: Yeah, so as far as the record goes, yeah, I think this is very good. I'm not doing cartwheels about it. I think there's maybe a lack of personality to this record, maybe. Or a a distinct identity you mentioned in solitude none to others and those bands that are so distinctive and so extra especially in the case of unto others like so dexterous in their songwriting the nice eternal kind of they focus more on the specific thing that they do uh but i do like their take on as well as the gothic end of things the way they take from classic heavy metal that isn't just iron maiden and priest and motorhead and you know no slot on those bands but those are the back the classic heavy bands newer bands tend to lean on this is more like I'm like, Queensryche? and europe that sort of classy like that particular melodic style has been carried.
Speaker 1: Over queens reich i could definitely say being a comparison which.
Speaker 3: It's no bad thing at all i think like the songs on it are There isn't one song where I go, fucking hell, they've nailed, that's amazing. That's absolutely brilliant. But there's also not a song on it that I think is less than good. They kind of all do roughly the same thing to a good standard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we are all roughly on the same page here. I do think there are a few jams. on this. I think it sounds great production-wise, for one thing. That, you know, Where This World Ends, the beginning, has this great intro with these huge thudding drums, but then also these really, like, nocturnal, glistening, goth, clean guitars that slip so, like, naturally and powerfully into then a heavy metal gallop. I think particularly the star of the show is their singer, Ricardo Baum, is a really strong singer. Like, his clarity and his control. Particularly, he has that gothy expressiveness where he is able, you know, he can cast the figure of a heavy metal singer. where he could probably hold a sword in a spiked gauntlet if he wanted to. But he also has that sort of, like, rosiness in his voice, and the way he, like, really mulls notes over to bring that gothic colour. He's kind of duel-ish at points, like on that first song when he's doing the, you know, it's if you kind of enjoyed the singing and the melodic approach on that last duel album. but you want something a little bit more like denim and leather about it, I would point you to this. There is a single on this called Caught in a Spell, which features a music video, by the way, of a knight in full plate armor just riding a motorcycle around the woods. I love that that's kind of a visual trope and a style that all these bands in the underground seem to be doing now. But not only does that start off with a super reverb-y slide guitar for some reason, like going goth western mode, maybe similar to some of what was on the last Mesa album, But the way he milks the fuck out of that caught in a spell is just so awesome to me. And they've got that real, like, 80s pop metal sensibility that, like, the last Summerlands album, Dreamkiller, absolutely nailed. But with, again, a more gothy element to it. And that kind of MTV gate that Caught in a Spell has really does it for me. And I think some of their choruses, you know, like, Eurydice, Don't Look Back. It's just, like, really... air grabbing and skipping out the night and it's just like you know quintessentially 80s in a way that absolutely hands up guilty i know many people out there listening will feel the same i can't have a better time to it.
Speaker 2: I think I'm caught in a spell that has like kind of goth sunset strip, but with like melancholy. So like when you're saying the video is a night on a motorcycle, I'm like, yeah, that's a song that I would ride a motorcycle around because it has got that kind of like sunset strips or four, four eighties pop metal stomp and sleaze. But it's got like, again, that kind of like gothic melancholy that, that kind of goes different. I mean, that's a pretty, cool sort of thing i i kind of wish they did more of the the gothic slide guitar thing because again reminds me a little bit of some of the stuff i really liked on the last afi record well they kind of like played with that a bit um but like again i think like is i think maybe the first of them like i think um don't look back again loads of drama in the vocals it's major and triumphant but like it's got that's got that kind of cool goth disco beat on the drum that kind of like lets it sort of shuffle along and kind of has it has a cool that sort of little goth.
Speaker 5: Dance vibe to it that i'm always going to enjoy i.
Speaker 2: Think like i said these songs i don't dislike any of them i think some are just kind of like a bit more disposable when the last candle dies i'm like ah oh no no is that that one um.
Speaker 1: Yeah i think that the first three songs i think are really great and then that's the fourth track i believe and it's the first one that to me kind of feels like a snap track you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's something I'm like in the hands of Unto Others.
Speaker 2: I think that song would be fucking brilliant because they could bring so much more character and dynamics to it. Whereas in here, I'm like, yeah, it's a decent goth metal song, but it doesn't like in my notes. I was kind of like running out of things to say about it because it was just kind of like, yeah, it kind of exists. And they've kind of shown me all the things I do. But I still don't think it's bad. I still kind of like was having a pleasant time with it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, When the Last Candle Dies, for the record, I really like that song. I think it sounds like a training montage for the Grim Reaper, but I will concede that by that point in the record that we're not getting many new ideas beyond that. But I do think they saved some of their more interesting, well, not even more interesting, but just more rousing choruses. Like The Shape of Sorrow comes right near the end of the record, and I think that's got one of the most striking choruses of the bunch. Or The Watcher of the Burning Veil, which they go a bit more nightfall candle mass on that one. but it also goes a bit faster at the end. That's one of the more dynamic songs. I'm not sure they have quite the aura to carry off going off full Doug Bradley at the end, like the way that Craig LaFilth do it. It's so good. It doesn't quite map onto them so nicely, but it's not a bad thing to throw in something that bold towards the end. I do think maybe the album could do with a bit more punch, more of those moments where it really grabs the ear. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with putting a record on that's consistent and pleasant all the way through, and fulfills its mood.
Speaker 1: For sure. I mean, The Veins of Time has, dare I say, a bit of Thin Lizzy in there, where that chorus, where he adopts that kind of lower register, it's a bit like, oh yeah, that's what Phil Linnet would sound like if he had a Sisters of Mercy phase in the 80s, which is a cool flavour I'm here for. The Watcher of the Burning Veil, I think, is my second favourite song on the record, because I love when they can't help sounding particularly German as well. It's like, you can... dress up like an English goth rock band all you like but I know you have spent far too much time at Wacken Festival and that I seek the truth and ride through forlorn lands followed by a woe doing the same thing and then that demonic monster voice spoken word bridge you're talking about it's pure like maiden worship by the German heavy metal circuit utterly unafraid of cheese and I'm here for it I think it's cool and it is like a really well arranged song I do think again we've all kind of said it the problem with the Night of Turtles is they're doing a thing i think very well that already has a handful of world-class bands occupying it and they're not as absolutely you know mercurial as unto others or in solitude were they're not as i think even though i think they do this flavor well they're not as absolutely anthemic fuck me why aren't this band massive as you know summerlands with with dream killer coming out um it's not as like high energy and attitude fuelled either as like, you know, when Unto Others go the other way from the goth stuff and knock out a really crazy one. Or, you know, another example, the trad metal album from this year that we spoke about recently at the end of our Black Breath special, right? This, I think it is like all, you know, pretty yearning all the way through. And I think as a result, you do get into some of the album tracks and they come off a bit like, you know, lesser versions of the singles. They've not caught quite as many modes. It is basically just a lot of like, you know, over the course of the album. But I think, you know, Four out of the eight songs on this, I think, are crackers. And the other four are pretty fine. And I think that they have got enough accessible, broader appeal. Again, I saw them supporting Blind Guardian. Maybe with this record, you could see them supporting a ghost or a merciful fate. Or even, I imagine, if they can pull them away from their children for one tour. Really giving it a go. So, if you are a fan of the kind of things that we are talking about, here is another, you know, goth heavy metal joining the fray, who I think are really enjoyable with it. So, The Night Eternal and Cold Velvet is the name of that album. And finally, our real delving into the underground picks this month, although this one came out a little while ago, but Elliot, you have brought it forward. The band are called Zorn, like John Zorn. Unfortunately, no connection there that I can tell, but Z-O-R-N and Return to Castle Death is the name of the album. We have gone full castle fucking... dungeon crawling in the last couple of these reviews. Elliot, how did Zorn come onto your radar, and what made you bring them forward?
Speaker 3: Well, you've just preempted it there, but I'd been hearing the buzz that the new Zorn album was really good, and I thought, John Zorn? Like, what's he up to these days?
Speaker 1: John's back!
Speaker 3: The Johnny boy!
Speaker 1: You're wearing some weird makeup these days!
Speaker 3: Well, literally, I was like.
Speaker 1: What's with the cape?
Speaker 3: That's not a very John Zorn-y title. And then I found it out. I put it on. I found it wasn't John Zorn, and was... an atom of a millisecond, slightly deflated, but then was entirely inflated once again, because this has been one of my favourite underground discoveries of this year. I wasn't expecting to talk about it, let's say, on the show, because I got to it a bit late, but the more I've listened to it, the more I've wanted to, and again, for a band as off-kilter as we're about to get into, and weird, and on the face for off-putting, I've come to know that among you guys and among the audience and stuff like that, there is a serious hankering for maverick, weird, underground metal which operates somewhere between the dungeon synth and the speed metal and the crust. And Zorn, they live in that Venn diagram as well and are arguably one of the most eccentric, batshit-sounding... Of the bands in that whole world And Without saying too much I am head over heels for what they're doing Yeah well.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that this is part of I think what we have seen developing recently Is a clear like codified wave Of like a certain kind of sound Where this is like absolutely That sort of feral, demented Black metal punk Of you know Characterised by bands such as Devilmaster Who are inspired by Japanese punk bands Like Jizzm but then mixing it in with like vampiric black metal and a bit of death rock i wasn't at all surprised when i pulled this up and they were from philadelphia pennsylvania because that's where devil master and spider and cape of bats it's like where all these bands kind of scene sort of hangs out you know and I think it's fun you know just academically that we are here in the 2020s you know so many years into you know punk and extreme metal and all these things history and we are still getting these like specific strains of underground extreme music that are becoming like their own codified thing like I don't know if this really has a quite a name yet but this sort of like you know devil punk thing that this and Devilmaster these kind of bands and Spider deal in does feel like it's it's very now you know in a way similar maybe to what we said about some of the recent oy stuff and how that feels like you know very now and that's like poison ruin and that kind of thing and obviously We like that stuff. So yeah, it's good fun. Second full-length album, one of their earlier demos was called Castle of Death. So I guess that that is what we are returning to. I presume there are lore reasons. I don't know. It's another 20-minute record. It's even shorter than the Living Weapon one, actually. So we have got some brisk ones for you this month. And it is erratic, mad. I knew this band would be cool when their promo picture on Bandcamp has one of them in a coffin and the rest of them in hooded robes standing around that coffin pointing guns at him. Like one of them has a fucking AK. One of them has a fucking AK-47 that they're pointing at, I think their singer, buried in the coffin. Nosferatu would have been very different if one of them pulled up with a Kalashnikov. And that's the vibe that Zorn are giving off. And also, one of them is called Zbulba, like the Star Wars character, the Podracer from Phantom Menace, the Zbulba. But yeah, it's simply a right laugh, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Elliot, thank you for putting this on my radar. I have had so much fun with this. Again, this kind of, like, blackened punk thing, it's been a bit of a new over to me, but, like, I've come to it and I've just sort of found these bands so.
Speaker 5: Easy to just sort of fall for because.
Speaker 1: They are mavericks.
Speaker 2: They are renegades. They are marching to their own beat. And what that beat is, is just ragged... black and crusty punk yeah and here's the thing like like i mean the first song i was like this is pretty good and like ending with him coughing because he's been screaming so hard just made me laugh yeah then the moment you get into catholic girls and that punk attitude cranks up and you're getting this hacking riff this rocking beat and the dude screeched like a maniac which i'm guessing he's screeching about catholic girls i haven't read the lyrics so i can't be sure i was like this is recently has like completely rewired the way my brain works in reviewing albums but i'm like this has speed it rips it is heavy it is loud it's doing all the things that i think all good albums should actually do and i think this is unbelievably good fun curse of the black witch fucking hell yeah that half time stomp is so hard and the thing is also as like scrappy and speedy as this album is got really locked in rhythm section who keep it fucking like together the drummer is fucking sick and that's the thing that really sort of stood out to me in this album is that like it's scrappy and all over the place but their rhythm section is fucking holding it down and that's what keeps these songs from ever kind of like falling apart and getting too unwieldy because it's got that sort of like that core that's sort of like punching and hammering away fucking sick.
Speaker 1: Stuff yeah the thing that actually surprised me about this is how tight it was like even in the in the recording i think the recording on this is really good and like yeah it's not going to sound like the fucking new beartooth album that's come out today right um the production on this kind of thing you have to have some kind of like reverb castle dungeon quality to it but uh you listen to the drum kit on this and it there's real clarity to it this really direct punch to it and the lead guitars are shredding and they're quite gaugeable as well the bass guitar is really thick like it is a nicely put together punchy yeah kind of punk metal record and that means that when it does start going like you know when the beat in the bass line at the start of curse of the black witch going or whatever it just sounds so again punchy and um clear that it kind of gets you in the door with with minimal problems compared to maybe some of the other slightly more um you know slipshod kind of records in this vein do are out.
Speaker 3: There Yeah, you compare this to one of the really early Poison Ruin albums or, you know, Fel Omen, stuff that gets really sloppy, and that stuff has immense charm to it, and there are brilliant songs wrapped up in that sort of puzzle box they force you to contend with, but the reason why I was happy to bring this on is because I just think it's weirdly, I don't want to say agreeable, because it is mental sounding, but the band are locked in, and it's easy to go along with it when the band sound like they know what they're doing, and again i just love listening to a band where it feels like everyone's competing to be the mvp and that's exactly what it sounds like everyone's trying to play louder everyone's trying to play faster some it's like that great uh napalm death joke about like their band practices whereas first gets the end of the song wins like it's it's got that to it whereas i keep speeding up and going harder and faster and just inexhaustible and that stretches to the singer who has one of the most striking ear-piercing yowling wretches that i've heard from a young band in some times the point where like you say at the end of kill him with poison where oh it ends with a reverb thing of him sputtering and it's just like that's two minutes in and he's completely exhausted like you don't know he's going to make it all the way to the end but then even between these again he is singing about catholic girls he's not really doing it in a teacher's pet way it is more like the catholic he's terrified of the catholic girls but it's you're right but he's that's what that is what he's screaming about But along the way, he does manage to find the weirdest hooks. Again, I've not heard on an album since Venom, or perhaps before that. The one, and I don't know if anyone else has picked up on it, but I was driving... I had to pull over because I was laughing so hard.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: I'm howling with laughter. That was the moment where I was like, I love this album. I need a bit to be critical.
Speaker 2: Went on Black Dog Marks. So I go like, yeah, this is a stupid album. But my God is that stupidity endearing. And it's just like ripping hard. And I just want to shout, all right, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: It's such an unhinged performance compared to, again, some of these other, like, devil punk type bands. He does have a, he's not just doing a black metal rasp. He does, like, really, like, he veers maniacally from, like, gruff to super shrill. And he sounds like he's, like, you know, being tortured into the form of a bat. And then he starts doing such a weirdly fun rock and roll thing. that like you know turban negro or someone would do like on that and it is like it's really fun and then like flip side ready to kill he is just pure screeching violence which also bingo card insanely sick roto tom phil all around yes in the.
Speaker 2: Middle like mention that my notes well always love a good roto tom yeah keep i think.
Speaker 1: The drummer is really good like he he's Really, like I say, fast, energetic, trying to get to the end song for everyone else, but he does swing through a bunch of different rhythms. He'll throw in, like, a blast for a bar, and then some kind of, like, kooky, swinging post-punk feel. Like, it's very dexterous, and the best moment for me is the comparatively lengthy closing track, Guests of the Mad Prince, which... It does waste no time considering that Like it is straight into the cross punk beats But it does have like I think Curse of the Black Witch is similar They go through quite a lot of actually like Feels and sections Like it's dexterous with the feel changes And that leads to the point in that closing song When all of that spooky Playfulness instrumentation Peaks when the fucking organ comes in And that is just Literally that is right at the end of the record But that is the moment where the record just fully Sealed itself and came full circle To be able to be like yes.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I love, I can't believe I love a keyboard solo, but the keyboard solo in that closing track, maybe the only good one ever. Like, um, it is like just, I cackled with laughter again when that came in and it's like, yeah, this is what you, you throw this in at the end on your, like your whopping four minute closer, that kind of, again, that song kind of just mashes together a lot of the course of you've kind of heard across the record, but then just kind of frozen even more insane ideas like a keyboard solo. And I was going to just like, I can go for it, Zorn. You are the maniacs who can pull this shit off.
Speaker 5: It is a joy.
Speaker 3: You can only imagine how I ascended when that double-handed keyboard solo comes in. And it fits so well. It's not like it's sat atop the mix like a joke. It's woven into this vampiric swords and sorcery world, which they're working on the same record as Catholic Girls and alright, alright, alright, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: And gotta say, talking about the lyrics... Not that you can tell, because it does sound like he's being burned alive, but you read some of the lyrics to this, and they're hard as nails. One of the best comes on Guest of the Mad Prince, where there's these four lines, where it goes, Lone assassin on a mission from God, armed and on the loose, like a spider weaving his web, tying a cobweb noose. Fucking, like, that's good goth work, that. And again, I just love that, again, just the whole, the fact, seven songs, 20 minutes, some people might say it doesn't count as an album, It's like Seasons, in a way. It's a similar structure, but in terms of bang for your buck, this feels too larger than life to be an EP. Do you know what I mean? This is a record, because there's so much going on, and they throw so much at you with such devilish abandon, that by the time you get to a keyboard solo at the end, as brilliant as it is, and though it is a left hook, it doesn't sound completely mad. It's just like, yeah, go on lads like you've.
Speaker 1: Earned it yeah they're live shows look wild they've got all sorts of like fire breathing and like big monster props and like it's like a real carnival bazaar unfortunately i can't see him making it over here because it's such a small thing but i if you like this kind of new strain of like you know spooky black and punk that's kind of codified over the last couple years like we said then this is another band for you that we recommend it's called Zorn and it's Return to Castle Death that is our six album review gauntlet for the last few weeks of August let us know what you made of that bunch next time on the review show obviously of course there are a few albums out today one in particular the Mastodon album I think we will need a couple of weeks to digest that one but that will be in the next reviews bag we do right now as we said uh what do you make of that little bunch uh very curious about people what people make about for example the you know just the the um the strategy and the kind of structuring of the electric cool boy album for instance what side are you falling onto with the chelsea wolf album what side are you falling onto with the weezer having the gold album uh living weapon in the night eternal as well and next week will be a look back as we said it will be returned to hyperblast but we are going to wrap up what this past week has been for us with huge UK shows, with Deftones, The Cure, AFI. All of those feelings will come out next week, so you can join us there. Thanks, everyone. All right, all right, okay, okay.