Speaker 1: Whipped up news need advice, you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come running, just says can Shooter's gonna help come man, he is.
Speaker 3: The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 1: No Tom Martino, Hey Tom Martino here, Welcome, I'm at the mother Ship. I'm spraying the microphone down because Mark Major has been here most of the time and I need to get his cruddy duddies off of that microphone screen. Welcome, Welcome here at the Mothership. That's right. I abandoned the home studio today because I wanted to come in and see all the guys for Car Day, and it was a big let down. But in any case, I'm here. I'm having fun in the studio with me today is Jeff Vick Kimmer Transmission. We got Kevin Caulkin shared a auto tech Deputy doc, the longest running deputy and then Deputy D the best looking deputy as voted by these guys in here. So anyway, we are going to go to the phones. So you got to call us on cars car things today, and I have some interesting things to talk about cars. I touched upon it a little when it comes to cars and depreciation and all of that. Do you know who knows the most about depreciation of cars that people who put their money where their mouth is. What do I mean by that? Well, if you are going to lease a car, you go to someone and this is how a lease works. The less ore the less ore. The leasing company buys that car, they own that car, then you lease it as the less e. So you have the less e and the less ore the less ore. Think of it like employer. The less or is the boss. They own the car and they.
Speaker 3: Lease it to the lease.
Speaker 1: The leasi agrees, there's an agreement, and that says you're going to drive so many miles a year, and you're going to take care of the car, and you're going to make payments on use of the car. If the car is worth one hundred dollars when you lease it, and at the end of the lease they say you can turn it back in and it's worth fifty dollars, you can turn it back in and walk away. Or and I'm using the one hundred and fifty you know, has fictitious numbers just for analysis or for a lester illustrative purposes. So now so you turn the car in and walk away, or let's say that car is worth seventy five dollars because you kept such good care of it and the market went up. But the residual value is fifty dollars. You can choose to buy that car and keep it. You can even resell it. You can do whatever you want. It's your choice. At the end of the lease, are you going to keep it or are you going to walk away from it? Leasing is brilliant. It is the best way to acquire and use cars. If here are the ifs. You won't go over mileage, you won't terminate early, and you either want to turn it back at the end if you have to, and that you're not going to get too attached to it. So some people who really love certain cars that are very expensive will lease the car for the first three to five years with lower payments, then buy it from themselves at the end of the lease, and they're buying it. It's like buying us car from someone you know, and you know because it's you, and then that's an eight year total proposition in some cases. But some people love cars enough Deputy D is one of them to keep cars that long. Now. Other people pay cash for cars. I have always paid cash for cars, well, not always when I was when I started getting some substance and some income I started making paying and I realized that was a very poor choice economically and financially it was it was a very poor choice because I would pay cash and that capital was doing me no good and it was depreciating immediately. Now, So why am I bringing this up about leasing? Because when you are a lease or and you buy a car and Deputy D wants to lease it from me, I have to tell Deputy D. Hey, Deputy D, I'm going to buy that from you in three years. If you put forty five thousand or yeah, forty five thousand miles on it, I'm gonna buy it from you for X amount of dollars. So I have to have a pretty damn good indication of what that car will be worth. So this company went out and surveyed all the lessores and said, if you were leasing cars out to people, what would be the risk on certain cars? Which cars would depreciate the slowest? Because when you lease, you want a car that depreciates the slowest. Why, because that's what you're financing. It's like going and buying an apple and you tell the fruit vendor, I'm only going to eat half of that apple. So the fruit vendor says, okay, I'm selling my apples for a buck fifty. You're only going to eat half of it. I'm going to let you finance seventy five cents. You bring the other half back when you're done, and if it's in good condition, I'm going to give you. I'm going to take it back and it's worth seventy five cents. So at the end of that apple, you ate half of it, you're taking it back to the fruit guy, and all of a sudden you hear there's a shortage of apples due to a freeze, and those apples are selling for seventy five and eighty cents. So you say, to mister fruit man, I'm going to keep this apple. Here's your fifty cents. So in any case, why is it important to know what lessors think about cars? Because they're the ones who gamble. They're the ones who put their money up for these cars and guarantee to buy them. At the end, I went through some of these, but I was shocked at the top twenty five. I'm going to tell you the top of the top twenty five is the portionine e lessn it now I would think that that car would depreciate.
Speaker 3: That's surprise A.
Speaker 1: Lot these big these is that considered an exotic car A portie I think you think so da is?
Speaker 4: I think exotic car territory would be like the Ferraries, Lamborghinis, borders, voices, stuff like that. This is a very high hand car, but certainly not exotic.
Speaker 3: What do they I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what they go for, but here is at the end. Listen to this the depreciation over five years. It only goes down in value twenty four thousand dollars in five years. So what you do is you take twenty four divide it by five, so you get five whatever about four point eight? What what about?
Speaker 5: Oh oh oh?
Speaker 1: I say? So what I'm saying is is that it goes down only it casts you about what five grand a year? That's how that's that's the cost of ownership for that, plus maintenance and all that. So the port And then second is the Porsche cunt is that the Cayman Cayman it's cym An, that's not Cayman. The Porsche seven eighteen Cayman. It goes down fifteen grand fifteen eight Now that's from MMSRP not from what a dealer sells. A lease is a bad deal if you acquire the car for more than a normal purchase price. And many dealers do that to you because the payments are artificially lower. They sell it to you higher because what they love they love monthly payment buyers. Monthly payment buyers are the worst buyers in the world. They make the worst deals in the world because they're looking at a monthly payment and if you look at just a monthly payment, you could be really tricked into paying way too much for a least car. Okay, number three on the list Toyota Tacoma. Now I am not surprised by what they lovingly call the taco And I know D again. I keep going back to d D. If D could be be have his ashes scattered at a Toyota factory upon his demise, he would uh, let's go to the phones here to Trea. I think it's Trea. Trea? Am I pronouncing your name correctly? Trea?
Speaker 6: It's Tria, But a lot of people just say.
Speaker 1: T Tria, Tria. Can you give me I want a little story about the name. Is it a family name?
Speaker 7: Well, no, it's actually not. You know, I grew up in Kelly, and my mom and dad were driving down Palm Street and they said, Tria.
Speaker 1: Are they hippies or were they hippies? No? Not at all, Okay, Tria, listen. And then you got a little a little one, a sibling called Busha, and then you have Tria and Busha and Flower and anyway, So listen, Tria. You have an issue with a dealer or with a car with a dealer. Tell us the story.
Speaker 7: Well, actually both, if I'm being honest. So I bought my car back in March of twenty twenty three. Mark, let's just say, yes, let's just say my parents four parents.
Speaker 1: As you did you just say? Did you just say four transmissions?
Speaker 8: Yes? I just said four.
Speaker 1: How is that possible? I mean how many miles on each? When you did it?
Speaker 7: So I got the car originally when it had did you?
Speaker 1: But you didn't buy it new?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: I didn't buy it new. It was it was used. It came from Florida, and you know it only had I want to say, about thirty eight thousand miles on it when I bought it. I o writtinally about the car because my my original car got stolen.
Speaker 9: So I had a.
Speaker 1: Hondo Cord is a really good car. But guys, Jeff, have you ever heard of transmission problems with the accord?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 4: Wait, I have something very important to ask her, because I think I have an insight to what's going on. Terry, did you buy this from place called Auto Savvy?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why do you have an insight? Hold that hold that he has an insight. We're coming up with that Auto Savvy and an eighteen Hondo Chord with my crew doing things right. Three ozho three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Big chair to fill here where Mark was sitting. Literally, big chair. Not just kidding anyway. Uh, Marcus Suzanna off somewhere.
Speaker 10: Not so big anymore. He lost thirty pounds, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He did, didn't he's looking good man and that uh and that's compliments of Denver Region dot Com. But bing, how's that for a plug?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 1: Seriously, he is Uh, he's on the weight loss the weight loss drug that you get for pennies on the dollar with Denver Region. Denver Regen is also starting to uh treat neuropathy with stem cell therapy Denver Region dot Com. Okay, so listen, I want to go back to Tria. But first, Dennis, real quick, Dennis, I was going to talk about this today. And I see your comment. Go ahead, because everyone, I've gotten twelve inquiries about this text, and so many people are getting it. You think if they wanted to do a scam, they would slow it down a little, because when when you and eight other friends have the same exact text, you know something's up. Dennis, tell us about.
Speaker 3: By the way, tell you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, everybody, go.
Speaker 1: Ahead, what's your comment?
Speaker 8: Get the text?
Speaker 13: And I just got my license renewed, and I was thinking, what happened here? I don't have no violations or tickets that are passed to Yeah. Well, luckily I did not click on the link. I just went to Colorado Licensing and checked on the website. Yeah, and luckily they have it posted there that they're all text messages coming out. Was it looks just like the Colorado of Newpartment.
Speaker 1: I mean, nowadays they can make anything look like anything. You just can't trust crap like that. The only time you trust them is I mean, the only time to act, or the only way to act is this. If you get in something from DMV, you go and log on and don't use any of their links. Just log onto your account or somewhere. Then you're not cheated. If they say Excel Energy, you have a bill, you have to pay it. Your electricity are going to go off. Click here, don't click there, just go on. And I have a sheet, and I think a lot of people probably do a sheet of all my logins with user names and passwords, and all of my log ins for my home services. Then I have one for certain businesses and all that. So I always go to my bank and log in directly with the with the known and trusted links. But Dennis, did you have anything to add to the discussion they had yesterday.
Speaker 13: I did not hear yesterday's ocaessions. Yeah, but I just wanted to warn people about it because you.
Speaker 1: Can't you know what. Thank you, By the way, you can't warn people enough. I swear to God, these these scams must be lucrative. What about the one you have a package waiting and they're holding it up or in fact, do me a favor, tell me any scams that you've encountered recently. Let's just put them on a list. I think I want to hear about them. Maybe you might be first in line. But Deputy Doc speaking of scams. You said you worked with aa ARP, That is the American Associates Retired Person They.
Speaker 14: Have a special branch called the aa ARP Fraud Watch Network. How long you've been doing that a couple of years, probably least six or seven.
Speaker 1: And you get a lot of trends going through there. It's a national hotline exactly. And you say, romance scams are really big.
Speaker 10: Scams are a big one.
Speaker 1: And is who are the victims?
Speaker 14: Mainly they're usually men and old women in their fifties and sixties. Okay, we've been married for a while, the marriages kind of become boring.
Speaker 1: Or they could be a widow or a widower, right.
Speaker 14: And they get involved with these young people that are either overseas working on an oil rig.
Speaker 10: Or in the military, and.
Speaker 1: They yeah, because and somehow they get around to.
Speaker 10: Money, right, They always ask for money.
Speaker 1: So it's it's amazing. It's amazing. Some people lose their entire life savings. Okay, Trea, back to you. So we left off. You bought a used twenty eighteen Honda Cord. When you bought it, how many miles were on it? Oh, I'm sorry? Where am I here? Where am I here?
Speaker 3: Hold?
Speaker 1: On Tria.
Speaker 3: It's my fault.
Speaker 1: I got to press these buttons and Shannon won't give me a break and help me out here. There you go, Okay, thanks Shannon. Oh so, Tria, how many miles when you bought it?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 7: I want to say around thirty thousty thousand miles?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm going to say thirty five thousand miles. And and did you get it checked out when you bought it back? Then?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 7: And frequently it was when I first bought the car.
Speaker 1: Back in March March of March of when twenty three. Okay, so when you first got it checked out? What what showed up? Anything?
Speaker 7: Nothing really showed up. They said everything was fine with the car. I drove it off the lone. Everything was fine for about a month and then and May my car was.
Speaker 14: In the shop.
Speaker 7: My transmission went out, so not even too much transmission.
Speaker 1: Did you replace it or rebuild it at that time?
Speaker 7: So Autustave you sent me to the like their third party, like mechanics.
Speaker 1: Well that's good because they didn't have to do technically, they don't have to do anything. But h let's just talk all on the topic. A Deputy d said, let's talk about Auto Savvy. Okay, d Tom.
Speaker 4: You may recall last October you and I actually got a call about a vehicle that turned out to have been purchased from Auto Savvy. So you and I did a little bit of research online, and here's what it says on their website. They're they're the largest automotive retailer specializing in branded title vehicles.
Speaker 1: You know what that means, Tria. Yes, that means the car was totaled for some reason and brought back to specs and re and and resurrected. But it was a total rest and you knew that, right, Okay, So keep going with your story. You had your transmission replaced.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, the first two months that I have bought the car, and so when I dropped it off back in May, it was in the shop for about a month and a half. And of course I'm still paying my payments. Then I'll let you know right now, I pay four hundred and twenty dollars on my payments a month for them, So the whole May I didn't have my car.
Speaker 15: So fast forward a couple of months later.
Speaker 1: Hold on, no, I want to you said something that led me to believe you're paying by a month one month you didn't have it. You understand that's totally separate. You have to still make your payments, right yeah, yeah, okay, so keep going.
Speaker 15: And then fastward.
Speaker 7: A couple of months later after that transmission, the went out again.
Speaker 1: And then I'll go to now how many miles went we're on that transmission that went out again? I mean, first of all, was it a rebuilt transmission?
Speaker 7: So it's from l kqsan.
Speaker 1: Used, a rebuilt used?
Speaker 3: Okay, they do have a program, but I don't believe they're built o Q.
Speaker 1: Okay, you replaced it with an l KQ transmission. How much did it cost you?
Speaker 7: So I did a two D ductible?
Speaker 1: Wait deductible? Do you have some kind of service plan that covered this?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I have all the plan of warranties on this twenty two times?
Speaker 1: Hold on, no, no, So how much did you pay in total for that transmissions? You know that at least your at least your warranty is working. Okay. Then then when you had to do it a few months after that, did they pay again? No?
Speaker 7: Because it was such a short amount of time where the transision went out again, So I was still in that warranty.
Speaker 1: That's what it means. So you got it covered again.
Speaker 7: Yes, and then a recent time. My car's actually in the shop as we speak right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when in twenty three you had it done once or did you have it done twice? In twenty three?
Speaker 7: It was six months after that.
Speaker 1: So okay, So so sometime let's just say, okay, so a few months after that you had it again and then it just went out again. There's a problem here, guys. Why do transmissions keep going out? It can't It can't be luck of the draw three times or two times it happened.
Speaker 16: But luckilihood first of all is who are using us transmissions? So who knows how many miles are on that, you know, when it's going in the vehicle, Not to mention the fact that it is a salvage vehicle. There's a darn good possible if there's something else wrong on the car that's causing failure.
Speaker 1: What would cause failure of a transmission.
Speaker 16: It could be anything from you know, just simple wiring alignment.
Speaker 1: Could it be here?
Speaker 11: Well, it depends on the failure too. I mean, if the clutters are going out, the vour body's going out.
Speaker 1: What problems did you have with this the first time? What did they say was wrong with the transmission? Did they tell you?
Speaker 7: They didn't tell me much. They just said, oh well, let's just get into the shop and let's get a work done. And so I didn't ask many questions.
Speaker 1: You know, let's speed up. So far two hundred is all you've spent so far?
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, but also there's another another, a whole nother ballgame with my car. So year and a half ago, my car started cracking like the Bondo itself by the gas tank and all my roof.
Speaker 8: Okay, so you bought.
Speaker 3: A branded car.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you expected, Tria. I hope you got a super deal on this.
Speaker 7: I bought the coverage for twenty five.
Speaker 1: You didn't get a deal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so I listen.
Speaker 1: If you have Bondo cracking and stuff, that that's a sign of major neglect when it came to those repairs. You should have really, you should have really taken this to a body shop, a frame shop. When when you buy a branded car, Oh my god, is there a lot to look for? I mean, have you ever had it completely gone over?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: I had all the car sacs on it.
Speaker 1: They no, I'm not talking about Carfax. Did you ever have anyone put it on a lift and go over all the bodywork and all the bondo and all the just everything. Have you ever had someone truly do that in depth?
Speaker 7: Up until recently when I send it to a body shop, they told me that whoever had built this car previously just did a terrible, terrible job.
Speaker 1: And they just basically, right now, right now, you have a car that's a piece of crap right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what are you calling about? Because you're stuck with it, Tria. I mean, there's no I don't see any fraud here. You're stuck with it. They did a bad job restoring the car. What were you hoping we would say to you?
Speaker 7: Oh well no I And like I said, I wanted there's a whole nother bogame with the bondo cracking.
Speaker 1: Iron understand, but what do you want? What do you want?
Speaker 7: I really just want help with with the with the general manager.
Speaker 15: He's an ass.
Speaker 1: Don't want old on. Let me get this straight. You bought a branded car as is, and what do you want them to do about it?
Speaker 7: Perfect my body paint on their car because they only offered me eight hundred dollars when the shot.
Speaker 3: But they don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, Tria, don't mistake this for a lack of wanting to help you. I want to help you, but I also have to give you a dose of reality. They're not responsible for that body work cracking. You bought the car. They're very clear that they're branded cars. They're very clear that it's as is, and that warranty you have won't cover body components. But I have some ideas if you hold on here, I have a few ideas of where you proceed from here, and maybe we do give the GM a call and maybe they would take it in on trade for something and we can make sure you don't get screwed to him. But what's your scal for?
Speaker 3: Bro Oh, I'm not scolling.
Speaker 4: I was just surprised to hear you express any optimism in this manner.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, you're right. It's not optimism. It's hope. There's no optimism whatsoever. I'm just trying to figure out if maybe this guy says, look, let's just trade it for another one, or if maybe the body we get it somewhere where she can get an honest assessment of everything wrong. With it and then at least we have somewhere to go. I don't know. I can't even think his small claim scort or anything that she would win.
Speaker 4: Tell does anyone no Tell she bought a Brenda car two years ago. You're running out to be a piece of junk, and I think putting Auto Savvy on the spot, it's kind of unfair to them in this manner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll call it just to see what they say. But Bruce has a question, I'll go to him and I'll sprinkle calls in between here.
Speaker 3: So Bruce, what's going on with you? Bruce?
Speaker 1: How can I help you?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 17: I have the same back problem that I believe that you had, and I know you had the tops surgery. I saw the YouTube bod.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, huh YouTube video, Yeah.
Speaker 17: And I was wondering how long ago that was and how that turned out?
Speaker 1: Was I think three years and now it's perfect. Never had another stitch of pain ever, and have put myself through a ringer as far as working out and all that. Let me explain something about the back surgery real quick, so I don't get too medical. All back surgeries come from pain most of the time, and the pain comes from nerve impingement. That's it. Period. Nerve impingement happens when bones rubbed together or the disc gets bulged or something. But it all narrows down to killing the nerves. In the past, what they've done is they've abladed nerves with heat ablasion, so they kill the nerve, but that usually comes back or new nerves take over, and some people have done all kinds of radio frequencies and all kinds of different ways to deal with the nerves, because really the struck sure of the back is very seldom bad enough where it must be dealt with for health. Most of the time, our bodies adapt to skeletal problems and it's the pain that usually drives the surgery. Now, the way to deal with the nerves is either to do an ablasion or to do what's called a fusion, and that's where they separate everything and put a cage around it so it doesn't move the problem. With those, they fail most of the time in a few years because of the adjacent disease. The adjacent disks have too much pressure on them. Fusion has one of the biggest failure rates of any medical procedure. But people are so damn desperate, they'll do anything. So the other way to deal with it is a movable fusion. And I say that because it really is fusing your bones together, but in a movable way. And that's what the TOPS is. And let me explain something. The problem with TOPS right now, with the not with the procedure itself, but with the whole area is it's only approved in America right now for one level. Meaning if you had three different facet joints going bad, they can't put it. They can't daisy chain it like a caterpillar. Now they can and it works, but it's not FDA approved in America. You can only do one level of pain. Now here's what's that's right, So do you have more than one level?
Speaker 12: I do?
Speaker 17: I actually do. I started out as one, but it's gone over the years. It's gone to the point where.
Speaker 3: It's like three of them now okay.
Speaker 17: But the other two are not near as bad.
Speaker 1: Here's what they do sometimes to get around the FDA thing. Because it's only approved for one level. Remember it's one level at a time, not one level. You can do three, three of them in three different areas. You can't daisy chain them. So what some doctors. What my doctor has done is he has done a fusion where he puts the tops on the top and bottom of the fusion so you don't get the adjacent disease. In other words, the fusion takes care of the nerves and keeps them from flaring up. And then on the top of the fusion and the bottom of the fusion where it meets the rest of your spine, it's movable, so you don't have that adjacent disk disease like you do with regular fusions. All I'm saying is all I'm saying is there's all kinds of ways to deal with it. I would go to the Top's website and contact doctor Joshua Beckman. Now the next biggest problem insurance companies are still calling it experimental. Now that's code for that's code for we don't want to pay for it. I hate when it's your as companies do this, they call it experimental. Or with women, when they used to have bilateral mess uh is it a mess ectomy where when the when the breast come off, they would want to rebuild the breast and they would call that cosmetic, and you know, and and so insurance companies have all kinds of ways to deny coverage. Who's your carrier?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do you have your So you're not on Medicare?
Speaker 17: I am on Medicure.
Speaker 1: Are you on Medicare advantage?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's too bad. Medicare advantage is a terrible coverage and it may not cover it. Mine my Medicare and supplement covered on it. Yeah. And because my deductible for the year was matt which isn't much. You know, I forget what it is. But here's what I want you to do. Go to their website, Premium Spine, and look up doctor Joshua. Now I'm not saying he's the only one that can do these, but he's the one that really is probably the closest to the company. He knows, he talks to the CEO, and he was one of the first ones out of the gate with the FDA approval with me. So that's what I would do. It's Beckman B E C K M A N. He used to be up at Saint A's but right now he's at Porter. But just look him up and talk to his office. Let's go back to Tria. Tria. We we here's what we're gonna do. We want to get your car checked out. First, What part of town are you in.
Speaker 7: I'm in Springs.
Speaker 1: Oh you're in the Springs. Okay, I want to call. I want you to check Call Jesse at Honest Accurate Auto. That's the name of the shop, and tell Jesse you were on the show and that you need a quick assessment. Now, I don't know, there might be a charge with most of the time. If it's a quick assessment, he can get that done. You simply want to know what could be causing this problem. Not causing the problem, but why are you having so many problems? What you really want is a used car checkout. That's what you want, so you may as well pay for it and get a used car checkout because we need to make here's what I'm looking for specifically, I want to as Deputy d brought out, this is a two year old transaction on a site that publicly says we have branded titles. So it's not like they're hiding anything from it. The quality and here's something that's really important. The quality of work does not come into account when it comes to fraud and when it comes to misrepresentation. In other words, if you had an if they say rebuilt engine. It can be a rebuilt engine, but it could be a rebuilt engine that's done like a three year old, but it's still a rebuilt engine. And so you can't get them for fraud if it's a poor job. The only time you get them for a poor job is if you contracted for that job and that job was done poorly. But when you buy a car and repairs have been made, if they're just terrible repairs, that's on you. So you you really should have gotten that car checked out. I fear you're going to be stuck with this car, and I don't think the dealer is going to do anything. Have you ever asked them to trade you out of it?
Speaker 6: So here's the thing.
Speaker 7: So Orlando, he's the general manager of the Springs location, and I will just say one thing. He is so so, so so rude. You know, I went in there and he tried to giving me into a car that I didn't even want. He showed me a twenty twenty three niece on Max and he goes, oh, yeah, you know, you play this for me about six hundred and fifty dollars And I told him, I said, hey, look, you know I can't afford that. I said, I'm saying foreign seventeen.
Speaker 6: I think my insurance go up and everything.
Speaker 7: And he told me he had the nerve to tell me. He said, well instead of having because I have my daughter with me, I have a five year old daughter, and he had the nerve to tell me. He goes, well, instead of you know, getting her, you know, fifteen twenty gifts out of the tree, maybe she's only get five. I mean, how dare you well?
Speaker 1: Tell me, Tria, what's you get my daughter?
Speaker 3: Tria?
Speaker 1: I understand, Tria. There, look, go to honest, Accurate Auto, get the car checked. We got to figure out what it's worth. I think you're stuck with it. I think you're buried in it. And this may end up in a bankruptcy. And don't don't be surprised people when I say that, sometimes that happens. We're a bankruptcy. Is your only way out? Ripped? Dump kid?
Speaker 3: Shoot's gonna help.
Speaker 9: Come man, This.
Speaker 18: Is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hey Tom Martino here.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: It's card day today. I got Kevin Colton, shardan auto tech, Jeff camera transmission, and two of my deputies Deputy Doc, Deputy D and we are trying to kick ass for you if we can. There's nothing more frustrating than getting problems that happen over and over and over again where you can't help. But you know what, it does bring up really good topics. And I love this show not only because we directly solve problems and get involved in people's lives.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I really, honest to God, love when one of the deputies come and say, we got this money bag for someone, and they'll tell you we are truly joyous when we help people. But then there's something else we do. We educate, and you know, we have fun here. Look, but there are people we can't help and they're so buried we just can't help them. And in those cases, though, I I believe the education learned really goes a long way. And one of the things that comes up over and over again, over and over again is the used car thing. But the used car thing it has way more lessons than just getting a car checked out, way more that is a good lesson. Getting a car checked out shared an autotech for example, they'll do a car chack. I think it's one hundred and twenty bucks isn't y Yeah, and if you get two full hours of complete diagnostics. Now here's the thing. Getting a car checked out is only one of the things. One of the biggest problems with cars in general. Cars are the source. If I go back in my data, bank, cars are the source. Car transactions are the sauce, a source many times of financial ruination or a reset where people have to do a bankruptcy. Let me explain how that happens. And I'm going to give you a really good example. And let's call him Zach. This just this has taken it. So, Zach buys a car. He's a teenager, he buys a car. He's eighteen, he's I'm gonna buy a car, and he loves the car. It's a Corvette. It's used, he doesn't get it checked, he doesn't do anything right. He pays too much for it. The day drives off the lot, he's buried in that car. Let's just say he paid too much for it, and he's five thousand dollars underwater. Now, if he keeps that car for the entire length of the loan and nurses it and lives, you know it was running okay. But if he kept the car, he could pay it off and then keep it a while and beat the system, or at least not be a victim of the system. But instead, as most young people do and sometimes older people, he gets the hots for another car, and he says, oh, I don't want to keep this the five years I have at financed. So on year two and a half or three, he might go out shopping for a car. Okay, some used car salesperson talks him into a car, says, oh, and we can handle that car traded in and we'll just roll everything into the new deal. So the second car he goes out to get, he really loves the car, and he pays too much for that one.
Speaker 3: And in addition to that, he's.
Speaker 1: Rolling five thousand dollars of negative equity into the new loan. So immediately he's five thousand dollars negative on that previous car being built into the loan, plus another three thousand when he drives off the lot with the new car or with the second used car. So now he's eight thousand dollars of negative equity in a car, and he's making payments. Again, over three to five years, he's making payments. He is totally crewed eight thousand dollars. It's a negative equity snowball. I call it a snowball because they keep doing it. But let's say, in Zach's case, now the car needs a transmission. Uh uh, he can't afford it. But he bought a car that he could afford at one hundred and twenty thousand miles and he had to roll the negative equity and it's the only thing he could have structured at his age with his income. But now he needs a transmission. So what he does is he refinances this deal and they put the cost of that loan and the transmission in it. But because of the overpayment of that car and the transmission and the mileage, it doesn't up the value of that car. So now he's got let's say eighteen hundred bucks, let's just call it two grand on top of that. So now he's eight thousand plus another two Now he's ten thousand dollars underwater in that car, and he's making his payments. And not only that, he just his payments went up a bit. Think about this year four comes along. He kept it as long as he possibly. He can't possibly keep it another year, he found a car he really wants this time. He's thinking, I'm going to go newer, and this his credit. He's making more money now and he barely qualifies. But he pays too much for that car. Even if he didn't, it wouldn't matter. The negative equity will catch up to him. So now he's got a car. He is twenty one years old at this point, now twenty or twenty two, and he has fifteen thousand dollars of negative equity in a car. That's just normal, fifteen thousand with no prayer of ever paying for anything. His next major auto repair means bankruptcy. He's got to turn the car in walk away and start over. This happens all the time to people. The negative equity snowball. It is a terrible thing, and it happens all the time. So negative equity in a car is one of the first problems people encounter. Also, credit cards. Now, credit cards are even a bit more insidious because with a credit card. I knew a girl, let's call her Pam. Pam when she was in college, had high grades, she had her parents' money, and she bought and paid off things on a credit card where she was a signer. But it was with their money. Upon graduating college, she's inundated with credit card offers. She had twelve credit cards, I swear to God, twelve credit cards, and they all had limits of about one thousand dollars. Some had a limit of fifteen hundred. She gets out of college now and struggling to find work. She gets a menial job, and to her, those credit cards mean income to her. It's not income, but it means income to her. So think about this now. When she goes out to buy a product purse, or she goes out to buy a Fendie purse or something, or a designer a Jen's or something. When she goes out to buy those, she's not thinking, oh, this is going to cost me twenty five hundred dollars. She doesn't even think about it. She says, oh, this is going to be twelve dollars and fifty cents a month. That's what she's thinking. Then she goes out and buy something else, or she puts a bill from her apartment on there. She's looking at twelve credit cards as twelve sources of income, and she puts bills on these twelve cards, and she calculates minimum payments. So to her, on these twelve cards. She might have four to five hundred dollars to pay a month, and she's thinking, but look at all the beautiful things I have. Those cards are never getting paid down. She's just treading water, and eventually it comes. It just kills her Financially. People misuse of credit is a big, big deal, and I know there are a lot of people that talk about that. I believe credit is a tool and when used properly, just like a pain medicine, it can do you wonders. But if used improperly, it digs a hole you can never get out of. And again, bankruptcy is one of the solutions that people find themselves in where they have to do a bankruptcy and start over. But in some cases a bankruptcy doesn't even help because they're going to lose their car or possibly a condo they bought or something like that. Economics and finance it they are not taught in schools to the level of everyday life. Kids come out of school not knowing anything about finance and it kills them. And even young married people in their late twenties or early thirties run into these problems. The misuse of credit and buying cars the wrong way and not keeping cars the length of time they finance them. You are never ahead ever when you short circuit a loan or a lease ever, and that goes for places where you live. That's another problem. Kids get into and I say kids, and I mean young people. They sign a lease and they don't have any clue if they're going to be together. Sometimes these kids get together and co sign leases and then they have arguments, fights, and they don't want to live together anymore, and they end up with a giant judgment against them. It's the whole thing is just a nightmare. And parents go ahead.
Speaker 14: If the schools aren't gonna do it, it's up to the parents. I mean, if you have right, Yeah, if you have a child, you need to teach that child about credit and about going into.
Speaker 1: Debt, right and consequences thereof right.
Speaker 10: But I'm saying it's not only the schools, it's the parents.
Speaker 1: Have a b Well, I think it's it is mostly the parents. I mean, you have to teach your children how to tie their shoes. You also have to teach them how to use credit. It's just very basic. It's something that's needed. So now getting back to this. Now, when we're talking about cars, I started out the show talking about cars and cars that hold value in the cars that appreciate. So rather than telling you about all these wonderful cars, but I'm gonna go down the list real quick to twenty five. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna spend any time, just gonna tell you what they are. And then those are the cars that hold their value. And many of those cars are out of reach for young people anyway. But and here's another thing you're gonna find puzzling. But these cars that hold their value are the worst used cars you can buy. Jiro, what I just said, Remember that the worst used cars you can buy? Good? Question? Why is that? Because they hold their value. So when you get let's just take a Chevy Blazer and a Toyota suv of some kind in that category. Okay, Now you have the Chevy Blazer and the Toyota, you buy them. The best new car value would be the Toyota because it's going to preserve your value, whereas the Chevy's going to depreciate quicker. But now move three years down the road or fifty thousand or sixty thousand miles down the road. You'll be crazy to buy the Toyota because it hardly moved the needle and it's worth a lot of money, Whereas you can get a nearly new Blazer with a few miles on it for way cheaper than the Toyota. At that point, the Chevy Blazers have a better buy because it took the giant hit of depreciation and you're still getting let's face it, it's a hunk of metal with a motor, and you're still getting the same transportation you can get with a Toyota. So these cars I'm reading about with the highest values or the lowest appreciation are the worst juice cars to go out and get, unless somehow you know somebody and you get a great deal. Okay, And by the way, our lines are open A three oh three, seven one three talk seven one three, A two five to five. You can also call three oh three Martino. So here's the list. Portion nine to eleven, Portion seven eighteen Cayman, Toyota, Tacoma, Chevy, Corvette, Honda, Civic, Chevy, Camaro, Toyota, Tundra, Ford, Mustang, Porsche, Boxter, Toyota, Corolla, Subaru BRZ, Toyota Rav four Toyota four Runner, Toyota Corolla, Subaru Crosscheck, Suparu impressive, and again these are ones that depreciate the least. The top twenty five. Another Chevy Corvette. Well, let's see, were there are two Corvettes on your Oh no, there's a Cameo. Yeah, there were. One is the coup and the other Chevy Corvette is the is not a coup. I don't know. A Jeep Wrangler, a Honda hr Now, I'm surprised that Jeep Wrangler is up there in the top twenty five, but again it holds its value. A Honda HRV, Ford Ranger, Honda, a Cord, Toyota, Prius. Toyota is killing this list. Honda CRV again, another one, a Subaru WRX, and a Toyota Camry. Toyota has the most cars on the top twenty five. But here's the real thing. These are the ones that are great used car values, but they're terrible to buy new because and my god, my car is right up on the that. These are cars with the highest depreciation, the highest depreciation over five years. The Jaguar number one, the Jaguar EV depreciates seventy two percent. Oh wow, seventy two percent. What a great used car value that. Oh. Now, mine BMW seven Series is one of the worst depreciating cars. It depreciates sixty seven percent.
Speaker 3: That's in three years, in five five years.
Speaker 1: I'm honest to God, and I know it because I bought that during COVID and I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I bought it.
Speaker 1: I wanted a new car, and I love Beamers and and I don't know why, but the and first of all, it's too big for me. I can go back and lament on everything, but I made. I made a bunch of bad choices. I got this feeling like I better do it now during COVID because everything was going up so fast it was I got tied up in a stupid, uh sense of urgency. And I got this Beamer seven and it literally And I know because I tried to trade it, and I've asked people, and I've I've gone on cars dot Com for people selling them, and I can tell you personal experience right now. I had mine now for three years and it's I can't get quite half of what I paid for it, not quite half. I get a little less than half if I want to sell it right now.
Speaker 3: But Tom, did any of that come as a surprise to you, or did you it.
Speaker 19: Came to Okay, i've met with you, Tom, I did not ask me about BMW's.
Speaker 3: Oh do you have some that they'd appreciate?
Speaker 1: Like Tracy? First of all, I didn't know that.
Speaker 19: First of all, I'm over the BMW. Okay, we should never have.
Speaker 1: For a while.
Speaker 19: Beautiful Kevin will attest to this. He's worked on the damn car. The parts are unbelievably difficult to get.
Speaker 1: BMW's are terrible for expensive maintenance.
Speaker 19: And yeah, well we actually bought the the one I guess.
Speaker 20: Good thing we got was the additive the ad that.
Speaker 1: You mean, the extended warranty.
Speaker 20: No, not the extended no, never.
Speaker 19: We got the package that included free oil changes and free U.
Speaker 20: And all of that stuff.
Speaker 19: So that's what's model. He has a five thirty five. I I hate it. It is complicated.
Speaker 1: Oh God, are the worst new cars you can ever buy? The worst?
Speaker 20: It's a year. No, it's not a new car, it's a year.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but I'm saying the worst car you can buy.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I think it's a two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: And the Series seven of all of them is the worst of the worst, and I got that. We have a five, the BMW seven series.
Speaker 20: It's just damn.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to tell you if it's not a beautiful car to sit in and drive and feel. It's a wonderful, wonderful feeling car.
Speaker 20: It's great.
Speaker 1: But you guys tell me it's front wheel drive. Well, mine's all wheel drive. But I don't know what you're talking about. Front wheel drive.
Speaker 19: Maybe in this Dan, it's front wheel drive.
Speaker 1: Kevin, you're telling me though, you know, I got I think now I just turned thirty thousand miles. You're telling me that it's going to develop oil lease at around forty or fifty or what.
Speaker 11: Sixty fifty sixty is a magic number. But yeah, once it starts, I mean it's it's.
Speaker 1: But these vehicles are put together so well, what is it about them? I mean they really are built well. I mean that finish and trim in that car, I mean it's like it's like a.
Speaker 11: Rolls Royce and the engine itself, the performance, everything is there.
Speaker 3: It's just a little things if you don't mind spots in your driveway.
Speaker 1: I just never dreamed you would appreciate that much.
Speaker 3: The will crush you on those.
Speaker 1: So here are the bad ones. Okay for depreciation. The Jaguars won BMW Series seven, the Tesla Model S sixty five percent hit Infinity. Now I'm surprised that the Infinity QX eighty is so bad. The Maserati Gibili is it? They're called the ghibli? Is that how they pronounce the ore a ghibli?
Speaker 12: Who?
Speaker 1: Then there's another BMW five series, the Nissan Leaf God leafs I hear you can get for a penny, uh, Maserati Levante, the Tesla Model X. Look at these, man? Why is why do teslas depreciate so damn much? I really don't. I have no idea life. Well, their battery, I mean, their batteries are supposed to be good for what twenty years? Cadillac Escalade, the land Rover, Oh god, you want to talk.
Speaker 3: That's the Audi A eight.
Speaker 1: Then again the BMW five series, just just take it's another five series. You got one as the sedan and one is the hybrid. So they're both on the list. The Audi Q seven, Infinity QX sixty Escalade, a land Rover, Mercedes S class, another Audi another the Tesla. Y okay, so almost all the Teslas, the Lincoln Navigator, the Portia take In or tyke In or good one. It's t A y C A n N t A y C an anyway, Nissan Armada and Ford Expedition. Those cars would be great to buy used because they depreciate a lot. We got more coming up. Tom Martine here three oh three seven one three talk. Get your calls in if you have problems quest your place concerning cars. I do have a text here somebody says, uh, where I'm looking for a GMC Yukon Chevy Ta. Wait, GMC Yukon Chevy Tahoe. But they're not a Tahoe. Of they're GMC no either or I think it's so the same, the Yukon or the Tahoe or a Ford Expedition twenty twenty or newer. Can you ask your guys if there's anything to avoid which you know, like like, what about these vehicles. Let's is it safe to say the Yukon and the tah are exactly the same, right, Yes, same vehicles?
Speaker 11: Okay, so the expedition was just on your list on the bad list, yeah, for the association.
Speaker 3: So maybe UW no.
Speaker 1: A user one would be perfect. That expedition would.
Speaker 3: Come down in value.
Speaker 1: But what about them as vehicles themselves.
Speaker 11: I think they're both very very similar. I mean it's hard to knock one over the other. They both have a few shortcomings, you know, depending on the transmissions, and I mean they all have problems.
Speaker 1: You know what. I want to know why do cars appreciate faster than others? Because, Kevin, you have to admit if you took one of them side by side, you know that, you know, we do have this perception that the Japanese make superior products, and I think that is born out by the way with service and with it is born out. But but you have to admit there's not that much difference in the vehicles.
Speaker 11: Is the speak though too. I mean, if people are willing to pay what that's going to pay.
Speaker 1: I mean that's so the things that so when we talk about depreciation, we're talking about so many psychological factors as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think jeeps.
Speaker 1: For example, there's a perception that these are cool vehicles. They're really good vehicles, and I think they hold their value because people want them. And the more people want a new car, the more they want the used market is up. And when the used market is up, please, and I'll take mine one. Anyway, I have a caller and I don't know the name, so just give me the name, Gabe, Steve, I don't know who are how about how about this? Who are you? Let's just play that game that that's what that's I'm gonna play who are you? And I'll take your call? Are you on?
Speaker 12: I'm Steve.
Speaker 1: Hey, Steve, I'm sorry to greet you like that, but I didn't have it up there. So Steve, you wanna you wanna? You want to promote the beer guarding? I guess Steve's not there. I'm gonna I have a rule here when we talk, we have to have a conversation. So uh, I'm sure Steve has a lot to say. We'll get to him in a minute. Three oh three seven one three talker is our number three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Here's yet another so wait, okay, So going back to the Tahoe, the Yukon and the Ford, basically, in the used car market, you have to go on condition and price. I mean, that's it. In a nutshell, there's not that much difference between those vehicles.
Speaker 11: I don't think so, and definitely get them all checked. I mean, we keep saying that, but we keep running into people that don't check them.
Speaker 1: And when we is there. A such thing is having a vehicle and then pointing to a weak spot. In other words, this vehicle is known for this for that vehicle is known for that. Okay, can you give me some popular ones that come to mind? That? Oh I could have told you that would happen? Like are there things that come to mind when we're talking about that.
Speaker 16: Ford series with the ten speed transmissions?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, you said this before. What is wrong with the four ten speed transmission?
Speaker 16: They're falling like flies. The converters are bad, the vow bodies are bad. They have what we call a trash can in there that comes apart. They've got a CDF drum.
Speaker 3: Then why don't they improve it?
Speaker 16: They're slowly starting to get improvements, and if most of that's come out of the aftermarket. So we're as opposed to the design on the CDF drum. Now we've got different options on more durable product to put back in there.
Speaker 1: But the bottom line you're telling me is this that if you buy one of these vehicles, you're gonna have a problem.
Speaker 3: I've been telling I had a kid here. Just a year ago.
Speaker 16: He called me up, said he was looking at this twenty twenty f one P fifty and has got an sen speed transmission. I said it hasn't had a transmission put in it yet. He said no, and I said, don't buy it, and he did anyway, he was in my shop three months ago.
Speaker 1: Listen, fix It twenty four to seven is doing free second opinions. If someone tells you you need an AC for sure, call them a water heater or anything. Fixmihome dot com book now free second opinions. And then also Compass Insurance since it's car Day, they're doing free insurance analyzes. They do it all the time. It's the free insurance checkup. Make sure you're you're adequately insured and that you have uninsured motorists, and that you have medpay and all the necessary ones. That's a free checkup. At three oh three nine nine six, nine thousand.
Speaker 4: We're back with the Tom Martino Troubleshooter Show. Tom stepped out of the studio for just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: He'll be able. He'll be back shortly.
Speaker 4: This is Deputy d Dmitri filling in for him for just a couple of minutes, and it looks like we have Brenda on the line who's calling with some questions on selling a couple of cars that she has.
Speaker 3: Brenda, Yeah, welcome to the show.
Speaker 21: Hi there, thank you.
Speaker 6: Well, I have a car that I want to sell, maybe two, and I'm just wondering what is a good way to sell cars these days? I mean I've sold them through the newspaper which can't do it now, and Craigslist, and I'm just wondering, what's a good way to sell a private car.
Speaker 14: Well, you can, you can go on Facebook, but wherever you sell it, there are a couple of provisos that you need to keep in mind.
Speaker 10: Number one, don't take a check.
Speaker 14: Number two, the safest way to sell a car is to go to the bank where that person has an account. You go there, Yeah, you have them withdraw the money and then you got a cashiers check for that amount of money to bring to your own bank so that you know that there's no problem with the check being false or they're not being sufficient funds.
Speaker 16: Or the safest way to do it. Actually, because JFR Cars doesn't want an assignment and it's a very small fee. If he charges he does all the work. All you do is yeah, that's.
Speaker 6: Another way to do Okay, jaff our.
Speaker 3: Car, Yeah, ask for rod Yeah, ask for Rodney.
Speaker 1: Hey, Brenda.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons to talk to Rodney first this he'll kind of give you an idea of what the value of those cars is. Like, he'll give you a realistic value. If you just look at Craigslist their Facebook ads.
Speaker 3: What you're going to.
Speaker 4: See there are asking prices and what it's just based.
Speaker 3: On what kind of car is. It looks like.
Speaker 6: Well, I've got a sign a two thousand and eight Scion and then I've got a two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: On the Element.
Speaker 6: So they're both older cars and I just can't ensure two cars anymore. So I'm trying to decide whether I want to sell one and put the money into the other or just sell them both and get something newer Breda.
Speaker 4: What are your actual specific concerns about this? Are you are you wondering about what the true true value of the cars is that you can get so they don't languish on the market for a year, or are you're worried about safety at the transaction level?
Speaker 3: What specifically kind of advice.
Speaker 6: Were you hoping to get just mostly safety at the transaction level? And I, you know, I'd like to keep the Scie on because it's really a great little car and that runs. But I the Element is bigger. So I have a cat rescue.
Speaker 1: Oh, I need to.
Speaker 6: Have the Element for hauling around cats and traps.
Speaker 3: What's the name of your what's the name of your cat rescue? If you don't mind.
Speaker 6: Front Porch Feline.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great.
Speaker 4: I have two cats that came from a rescue organization. Yeah, you people do God's work, so thank you on behalf of all the cats out there.
Speaker 6: Well, so that's why I need I need something big like the Element, because I took the seats out of the back and it's and it's huge. But I took it into my mechanic to see how much it would cost to get all the stuff fixed and get it because I only use it for the cats, and it'd probably be about twenty eight hundred dollars. He said, you know, I gave me an estimate. So I thought, let's sell the Scion. The Sion has one hundred and seventy thousand miles on it. The Element has one hundred and forty, and so now I'm just debating whether I want it.
Speaker 11: Would you mechanic take the Scion and trade for the repairs.
Speaker 10: On the Honda? Yeah, give him the Sion and call it an even trade.
Speaker 6: Why let him sell it worth more than the work on the Honda that needs to be done, not.
Speaker 3: By a lot. And yeah, the value is probably about thirty five hundred.
Speaker 6: Well no, yeah, it was thirty five hundred, but that was including like two thousand first struts, which she said, I don't really need that. It would be more comfortable with new struts.
Speaker 4: But what do you guys think of both of these cars in terms of their you know, projected residual lifespan. I mean they both seem like small cars, probably not extremely durable reputation, and they both have high miles. If you had to roll the dice, which one do you think would last a little bit longer than the other.
Speaker 6: That's a really good question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the Hunt has a few less miles. Is the reason I'd go Hunt done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, the Scion I just had some work done on it. I love the Scion, but you know, it was one hundred and seventy thousand and I live in a rural area, so I need a car that can go in the snow, which is not.
Speaker 10: The scion.
Speaker 6: You know, the element have that, but it's you know, I like the element that it's like a truck.
Speaker 12: Brenda.
Speaker 3: How many how many cats do you do you rescue in a typical year.
Speaker 6: Well, we're a feral cat rescue. Oh I trap about ninety cats a year, and last year we had forty five feral kittens that we socialize.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that sounds like a lot of work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 4: How how is your organization funded? I mean it sounds like it takes a lot of money and vet bills and cat food and kitty litter.
Speaker 6: It does well, not so much kitty litter, but you know, because there are feral cats. But and then we have a lot of cats here on the property. There's about twenty cats that live outside and ten eleven that live inside.
Speaker 4: Brenda, Brenda, how if anybody listen would like to make a contribution to help support your animal rescue organization?
Speaker 3: What's a good way to go about it? Do you have a website? A phone number?
Speaker 12: How to?
Speaker 4: How do how do people get a hold of you? If you haven't if they have an extra couple of bucks. And our donations to the organization tax deductible or is it just strictly a gift.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's tax deductible. It's front Porch feelines dot Org.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Great and it's a good website. I did it myself.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great. Well, look we've got to take a little break here for a little bit.
Speaker 4: But Brenda, thanks for calling, and uh, good luck and whatever car you decide to keep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think well, mainly I wanted to just know who to sell, you know, who could sell the cars. This helps a lot.
Speaker 8: Jfr.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jeff's advice was spot on. If you call JFR, he'll tell you. He'll tell you wish car to sell and how much you can realistically get for it. And it's the safest way of doing it, so you don't have to interface with a potential buyer. It is Car Day and we have a couple of really great guests with us today Jeff Vick from Kimmera Transmissions and we have Kevin Colkin from Sheridan Auto Tech. Between the two of them, they probably have about one hundred years of auto repair and maintenance experience, so if you have any car questions, give us a shout anytime. Got a line open at three oh three Martino. That's three oh three.
Speaker 3: Six, two seven eight, four sixty six.
Speaker 4: And by the way, that number is answered not by a person, by voicemail after hours and on weekends. So if you have any questions, give us a call. All those messages get returned. We actually do call you back and we try to help you out even if you don't get through.
Speaker 3: While we're still on.
Speaker 4: The air, looks like Danielle is online three here she's got an issue with an apartment. So Danielle, welcome to the Tom Martino Troubleshooter Show. Hi, Hi there, yea, what's going on with you and your apartment?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 15: So, I guess will just start from the beginning. We moved in November into this apartment and day one there is immediately a problem with roaches. We haven't even unpacked yet and there was roaches in the in the cabinets and the drawers. We sprade ourselves, but it turns out we were actually paying a pest control seat.
Speaker 3: Oh, Danielle, no one has ever daniel hanging out. Second we got I hear the music coming on. We're going to take a break and you will be up right after the break.
Speaker 22: Okay, you need advice so you don't have.
Speaker 1: Cam.
Speaker 3: Shoot's gonna help.
Speaker 1: Come. This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez. Hey, I'm Tom Martino. Welcome to the show. By the way, the voice you heard of that that intro, the one who does the music is a Steve Moss from Rock and Roll Brewery. I'm gonna give him a quick plug here because he does this every weekend. It's wonderful. Danielle, hang on your next scene. Let's talk to Steve real quick here. Hey Steve, so tell me about your How has the beer garden been going?
Speaker 8: Well, it's been really kicking off great, Tom. I you know, it was hard to get the license here because it's sort of a residential branch area and we want you to rolandre helicopter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'm when I'm back from my recovery and stuff, I'm gonna do that. I'm definitely gonna do that. So what happens on a typical weekend. People want to know if they have a big group, like do they have to make reservations or how does it work?
Speaker 8: Well? So far, you know, we started the reservation thing and it just you know, people just walk in now, I mean it's pretty steady. Reservations is kind of smart because we can only have twenty five capacity on any given Saturday, but we get one special event a year up to seventy five. And that's one of the ones I wanted to talk about is August second, we're going to have a it's a brew fest twenty twenty five, forty years of brewing beers. I got event t shirts has two different designs. Look online at rock and roll dot Beer and that's going to sell out. We're just asking forty five dollars. And you know that's a high quality event t shirt. Famous Days seven item meal VIP a race NASCAR ticket for the people at first ones that you know, I'd say up the first twenty five, I'll give them a free ticket for that. We have live a little bit of live entertainment, not.
Speaker 1: Not real big bear this weekend right now, What do they have to do to take part of that beer garden?
Speaker 8: Well, just they can walk in from two pm to nine pm tomorrow, or you can go online and make a reservation not to you, and better, it doesn't cost you anything. Just let's you know, make sure you can. We have room for you.
Speaker 1: And are you there all the time?
Speaker 8: Different beers?
Speaker 1: Are you there all the time?
Speaker 8: I will be there most of the time. If I'm not there, they'll is somebody. And actually, if your caller is if you have a qualified person that wants to help serve beer at our brewery, you know, go on the website and contact me and rock and roll dot beer. But you know it's it's we just brewed, brewed a bourbon. It's a bourbon aged barrel.
Speaker 3: Really stuff.
Speaker 1: You just have some wild flavors. What what is the weirdest flavor you ever had?
Speaker 8: You know, we have the mango, but I wouldn't call it weird, but I would say, to me, the weirdest one would be our posts. And you can see all these online. But Sower Posts is a German dougle wise and blueberry sour, and it is it's actually black. If you pour the beer out, I mean, if you put it up to the light, you know, you see a little hint of blue, but it's really black. But it's the lightest tasting beer we have and the lightest alcohol content. It's just I use midnight Wheat, So Midnight Wheat is at.
Speaker 1: Guy's an artist. He's a freaking artist. You know, Steve, you talk about beer.
Speaker 8: I make no money. I make no money on this. I love doing it.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 3: And I'm Steve.
Speaker 1: I swear to God, I'm gonna come up there as soon as my health improves a little more. I'm up there, and thank you very much. And if people can find out more rock and roll, rock and roll dot beer for all the festivities and everything going on, rock and roll dot beer. And he's the wonderful talent. And he has a talent. He has an ad agency and he does our intro music. Danielle, she has an issue with an apartment. Danielle, what is going on?
Speaker 15: Okay, So I guess I'll start back from the beginning. So we moved into November. The day we moved in, there was roaches and our cabinets and our drawers. We raged them ourselves. Mind you, we've also been paying a pest control fee at our apartment, but we were not made aware of any problems with roaches.
Speaker 1: How bad, hey, Danielle. That's one of the habitability issues is infestation of pests and rodents and cockroaches, would be in that category. How bad is it?
Speaker 15: It is so bad? I mean last night alone, I prayed and killed seven and I took pictures because it's becoming as.
Speaker 1: Now here's what I want to ask you now, without any exaggeration, Danielle, if I was to visit you and I walk in, what's going to be my first clue that you have a roach problem?
Speaker 15: Honestly?
Speaker 1: Like? Are they running around? I mean, will I see them? Are they running all over the place or what?
Speaker 15: In our kitchen and along the walls next to our closet is the worst thoughts. So if you're sitting at my desk, which is against the wall, you will see quite a few just run across the wall.
Speaker 1: Now, this has been since November, so that's a lot of time. Has the landlord attempted to do anything during.
Speaker 15: This time, No, not at all, and we have asked countless times, but they keep telling us that they're going to come to the next day and then no one shows up.
Speaker 1: So they've literally done nothing.
Speaker 4: Well, in the meantime, it sounds like Danielle is paying a monthly cuckroach eradication feesa right.
Speaker 1: Is that part of the rent or is it separate.
Speaker 15: Yes, that is well, it's part of the rent, but it's also separate.
Speaker 1: Well, what I mean is this, do you have a rental, You have a rent that's definitely due, and on top of that rent, you pay a cockroach fee or a pest fee. Yes? Correct? How much is that?
Speaker 15: I believe it's about fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Is it delineated on your invoice? Does this show fifteen dollars a month?
Speaker 15: Yes? Let me check hold on one moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because and then on top of go ahead, no, I'm listening.
Speaker 15: And then on top of that that, there is also we also have a problem we've during the winter, we went without heat for two months. They wouldn't come and fix it until mid January, so December and January we were completely without heat.
Speaker 1: And then well that that there's nothing we can do about that now. So have you ever thought about moving, Danielle?
Speaker 15: Yes, and that's what I want to do. I want to break our lease. But I can.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can do that. You can do that. I have a I wrote an article on how to do that, and you're welcome to to uh, I can send it to you. But here's the thing. You give them warning and you ask them to fix it. If they don't, you can break your lease. It is legal to do that. If done the proper way, you're gonna have to. And then when is your lease up? Normally when would it be up.
Speaker 15: In November?
Speaker 1: Okay, so from November to November? Okay, So you don't want to stay. Do you have another place to go to? Yes?
Speaker 15: I have family that I can go to.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, there is a way to do it, and I want to send this to you. You just have to. If you do it the proper way, most landlords ignore them completely, so you will absolutely probably prevail and be able to leave. It is a checklist. I have a QR code you can scan. If you go to our YouTube channel, there's a I have an article up there with a QR code that you can scan right off the screen, and it takes you to a step by step process to do it. I'm trying to find the dang thing right now, but it is on our YouTube and I want you to do this because it works. It absolutely works, and I've had people tell me it works and I'm I'm they've actually downloaded what I told them to download. It's a QR code. Again, if I could find it, I would just I would just I can't do it while I'm on live, but I can just basically send it to you. So leave your email address too in case you can't find it, and then I'll send you the proper way to do what's called the constructive eviction, a constructive eviction, and so okay, there it is. Tenants, here's what you do. If you go online to the referralist YouTube channel it's actually called Troubleshooter Network on YouTube, and then look for a video called Tenants Know Your Rights. Tenants Know Your Rights. That's the name of the article or of the video I posted, and it goes step by step on what you're supposed to do to either get the repairs done or to affect a constructive eviction, and it works. People have used it because here's the problem. Many times people were doing it the wrong way. They were withholding rent without the proper notice, or they were moving out without the proper notice, and therefore they were not given they did not win, they lost their security deposit, and many landlords would take the tenants to court for the rest of the lease. But there is a way to break it. Jeff, what were you gonna say?
Speaker 16: And when she goes to find that on YouTube, but she doesn't even have to go to your channel. She goes to the search bar. Just once you start plusching in tenants, it's the first thing that comes up excellly.
Speaker 1: So go to the search bar and YouTube and put tenants and then you can put know your rights. It'll come up.
Speaker 4: Hey, Danielle, have you talked to the landlord about getting out of your lease and moving?
Speaker 3: And if so, would Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. That's a good point. D Danielle. Did you just ask if you could break your lease maybe they'll let you out.
Speaker 12: I have not asked.
Speaker 15: I was actually trying to get legal advice prior.
Speaker 1: Do you want us? Do you want us to call? I can have Deputy Dot call over there to the landlord and say you just want to get out of it. You had enough of the cockroaches, and he can tell them that you can do it legally, but it would be better if they just let you out of the lease.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Tell me one way to do it without escalating, is, Danielle, if you go to the maintenance or the leasing office and say that the Tom Martino Troo Tom Martino himself would like to know what their response is, specifically, what is their policy in regard to in regards to letting you out of the lease because of the cockroaches and all of this other stuff, and that we asked you to call back on Monday during the show and let us know what they said.
Speaker 15: Okay, yeah, I can do that, and can you call us.
Speaker 4: Back on Monday, and then if that doesn't work, we'll step it up a notcha, We'll contact.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea.
Speaker 1: So you tell them that you called my show and that they told you that you can get out of your lease if you go through the process, but you would rather do it with their cooperation.
Speaker 4: And plus, we didn't mention the the apartment complex's name, and we're not going to mention it today. But if this comes up as a point of contention on Monday, then we might.
Speaker 1: Tell them we just want to do it in a friendly way. See what they say. That's a good idea, and then call us back. I'll mark dispending. I'll mark dispending.
Speaker 3: And do that.
Speaker 1: Three h three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five You know one Clear Choice Garage will be out at your house twenty four to seven. Why would you ever need somebody in the middle of the night with a garage door. Well, let's say you're coming home from a night out and you can't get the garage door closed or you can't get it open, and you know you got to go to work in the morning. They have twenty four to seven service. They also have regular services, of course, for all garage door needs, from the openers to the actual door itself. So why don't you go to the website. You'll learn more about what they do and all of their prices are right there. One clear choice. Doores dot com seven one, three, eight, two five five. So Jan has an issue with Venmo? What kind of an issue, Jan, do you have with Venmo?
Speaker 21: I have three issues with them, and I'm trying to get a hold of them.
Speaker 1: Well tell me what, uh you know, those those places scare me. Zelle, Venmo and all of them. I use Venue, but I've often wondered who is mister Venmo? You know, Like, who do you call when you have a problem to straighten out? It's almost like impossible. I don't think there is a number for Venmo where you can call customer service? Is there there is.
Speaker 21: But they just give you answers to possible questions. Okay, press one or two, and then they there's no car.
Speaker 1: Right, there's no back and forth. Tell me your problem with Venmo, let me hear about it.
Speaker 21: Okay. So the first problem is, my friend Kathy showed me on my Venmo account that she paid me two hundred and thirty two fifty, But my bank says that the transfer from Venmo was three eighty two fifty three hundred eighty two fifty. So there's a how.
Speaker 1: Much of a difference is that I didn't do the math? How much of a difference.
Speaker 21: A fifty fifty dollars difference?
Speaker 1: So Venmo did not credit you fifty bucks?
Speaker 4: I did. I think the over I think what Kathy is saying is that excuse me, jan is saying that.
Speaker 3: Venmo overpaid her by fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: Chad, did your friend get charged that extra fifty bucks or did you have a friend pay you the original amount that saw they deducted from her account, but you got fifty more bucks than she had intended?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 21: Yes, I haven't talked to her, but that's that's that's kind of a minor problem. Because I have more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not much of a problem at all.
Speaker 1: Basically, she got paid more money and she's complaining about it.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's just the warm up for the two actual complaints.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's the other complaint.
Speaker 21: The other complaint is that on April eighth, my friend Kat paid me two hundred and thirty five dollars, but that never showed up on my bank account.
Speaker 3: I need more friends like jam.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, she paid you two hundred and thirty five bucks and you never got it right? What are you doing in a case like that? See, that's the problem with these electronic things. I mean, does your friend show that it was drawn out of her account?
Speaker 21: I don't know. I don't know that I have a text message into her. I'm just going through my bank account now and finding you.
Speaker 1: Know, it could be your friend didn't make the payment. I mean, Venmo is not in the business of ripping people off. They might have a snarl here and there, but I don't think. I think your friend didn't pay you. That's what I think.
Speaker 21: Well, here's the third issue.
Speaker 8: Tom Okay.
Speaker 21: On April April fifteenth, I paid Toby eighty five dollars and that never came out of my bank account.
Speaker 3: Did Toby get the eighty five dollars?
Speaker 21: I've got a text into her too.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so you paid eighty five dollars to Toby, but it never showed up in Toby's account.
Speaker 3: Though she doesn't know.
Speaker 4: Jan doesn't no, she she doesn't know if Tobe ever got the money yet.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't deducted from your account or it was.
Speaker 21: It was not deducted from my bank account.
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 21: And yeah, the thing is, I can't you know. It says go to the app, press the meeting, and then help and chat, but it doesn't allow me to do that. And then when you tell me number.
Speaker 1: See, I love them. I love them until there's a problem. Then I don't know what to do. Do you use them?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 1: N no use I've used Venmo. I've never had a problem. But what if you do have a problem. How do you get cash from Venmo into your account? How do you do that? Just have you ever had to do that?
Speaker 14: Well? When I pay it, there's a you know, when you go into Venmo, one of the things you click on is either pay or request, and then.
Speaker 1: It comes up I understand. But what if I have like I've had a number of people pay me on Veno and it's in Venmo, right, it's not in my bank right?
Speaker 14: And then there's this click which there's another little button where you put into your bank account.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it? So, jeff Ick, do you use Venmo?
Speaker 3: I have not? No?
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 3: So your three.
Speaker 1: Problems and and see that's the problem. There's no one to talk to.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not much of a problem either.
Speaker 4: So on the first one, she got overpaid by fifty bucks, so I would probably just stay quiet about that, right. She has a second problem where uh, Jane, what was the second problem?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: She never got paid to two thirty five? Her friend said she paid her.
Speaker 4: Well, nor she Jan hasn't been able to verify with her friend, right if her friend even set the payment right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 12: And then the third that she did.
Speaker 1: Wait wait wait wait wait, Venmo says that your friend sent you to thirty five. Yes, but it's not in your account, right, Yes it is.
Speaker 21: Why would Venmo say my bank account?
Speaker 1: No, it's not in your bank account. It doesn't go to your bank account, it goes to your Venmo account. See a lot of people are confused about that. Money never goes directly to your bank account. Ever, it goes to and from your Venmo account. You have to physically move it from Venmo to your bank account. In fact, that's how Venmo makes a lot of its money. People who leave it at Venmo, they paid no interest on it and it just sits there. But I guarantee you, if you log into Venmo, you're going to show a positive cash balance?
Speaker 3: Have you done that?
Speaker 8: Jen?
Speaker 1: He goes. Venmo wouldn't bother telling you you have two hundred and thirty five dollars if you.
Speaker 3: Didn't have it.
Speaker 21: I'm not logging in again I will.
Speaker 1: I think look at that. You see your problem is you're expecting to see these transactions in your bank account and they do not go to your bank account. I think all of her problems can be summed up that way. She's expecting direct from the other person's Venmo to her bank account, or from her Venmo to her bank account. It doesn't work that way. You have to physically move it in and out of your Venmo you It will not automatically do it.
Speaker 3: I think Zell goes directly to Zell.
Speaker 1: Goes directly your bank Venmo does not go directly to your bank. David, Hi, welcome to the show. What's going on? David?
Speaker 12: Hi, Hi Tom, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 12: Well, I'll just go to my current issue that I have right now.
Speaker 1: Current? Why do you have more than one?
Speaker 12: It's kind of a long story.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't mind long stories. If you just start somewhere and we'll pick it up, go ahead.
Speaker 12: Sure, I had an accent. It was rear ended. We did a virtual estimatesurance company sent me two different checks.
Speaker 1: And now who's insurance company? The other person's insurance company?
Speaker 12: No, this was through my insurance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you were rear ended. So the person that rear ended you they owe you, don't they?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: But you chose to go through your own insurance.
Speaker 12: I did. They told me not to talk to the young other insurance company.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 12: I don't think they wanted me to admit to anything.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, okay, don'tkay.
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So, David, whose fault was the accident?
Speaker 12: It was the person who hit me.
Speaker 1: Your insurance would normally say go through them. But okay, so you have collision coverage then, right, yes, okay, it's an older vehicle, but you have collision coverage.
Speaker 12: Yes, apparently I did.
Speaker 1: All right, hold on a second, I'll come right back to you. Just hang on and we'll take this up. David, real quick. Here, you had a rear end collision. You went through your own collision coverage. What's the problem right now?
Speaker 12: Well, the damages that I had estimated exceed the costs of value.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in other words, your car has to be totaled. Hey, yes, so what is your question?
Speaker 12: Well, I'm getting ready to recontact the insurance company. I did try to contact the adjusters.
Speaker 1: Now, did they make you an offer on your total vehicle?
Speaker 12: Well, within a week of the accident, they had sent me two checks.
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 12: No, just a little over one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: So both checks added to one thousand dollars.
Speaker 12: Yeah, is what it was.
Speaker 1: Okay. So what I want to know is were they telling you that was the value of your vehicle?
Speaker 12: No, they were saying that's the cost to repair.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see, and you and the body shop is saying it's going to take way more than that.
Speaker 12: Yes, exceeds the value of the vehicle.
Speaker 1: That okay, Well then, well then what you need to do is your collision coverage has to pay you literally for the value of your car, but the value of your car may you may disagree on what that value is, but they have to at least pay for the value of that car.
Speaker 12: Okay, the checks that they sent have expired.
Speaker 1: Oh you never cashed them.
Speaker 12: I never cashed him. So is the claim still open?
Speaker 1: Well? I don't know how when did this first? When did the accident happen?
Speaker 12: It was it was like last year.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh no, you may have screwed yourself here bro late last year, like December of twenty twenty five, of twenty four. Yes, okay, listen, you've not talked. Where's your car been all this time?
Speaker 12: I'm still driving it. It still runs and drives great.
Speaker 1: The uh okay, let me let me just give you something to do. You're way too far gone for us to help you. At this point. You need to literally contact your insurance company and say I never got my car repaired because the shop says it can't be repaired for less than it's worth. Okay, just tell him that. Tell him I need to get a settlement for a total wreck. You got to do that, or you have to go after the guy that hit you, I don't know why the hell you didn't, and sue him for the value of that car. That's what I would do. I would do both. I would go after the guy that hit me in small claims court. That's it.
Speaker 3: Sue him or whatever.
Speaker 1: It will take to replace that vehicle, and then go after your own company and say you need to be settled. There's nothing more we can do to help you. You waited way too long, but it's not too late to sue that guy in small claims court. It's not too late, So go ahead and do that. Start that no matter what, and then get your collision coverage to try to settle with you and take whichever one is first. Okay, Remember you can call three or three Martino and get right through our three or three seven one, three eight two.
Speaker 10: How much is this going to cost to repair the car?
Speaker 1: I did they tell you how much it's going to cost to repair the car? David?
Speaker 12: Yes, I had two estimates. There are eight thousand and nine thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that, and what is your car worth?
Speaker 12: It's right in the neighborhood of forty five to five thousand.
Speaker 1: All right, sue that guy in small claims court. For that amount of money, I think you'll win. I hope you have something that says it was his fault. And then go through your collision as well. I don't know why your collision coverage would tell you not to deal with that other company. That to me is foolhardy.
Speaker 3: Well how much did the insurance already send them? He didn't cast it.
Speaker 1: But how much where it's a thousand bucks?
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't hear that.
Speaker 1: Now hardly anything, So just go ahead and take care of that. Three h three seven one three eight two five five. Now I have Stephanie Rigs with me, my honey, and she is my better half, and she wants to talk about something that is very near and dear to our hearts. You know, we try to get involved in things that are positive, not we not just like giving away things or not just giving money, but helping people get a step up. And this is called She recently was familiarized with this organization called Joshua's Station and they.
Speaker 20: Need some help by it every day.
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 23: Thanks for having me on the show. Well, let me just give you a little backstory about it. So, after working with so many families experiencing homelessness, back in what nineteen ninety they saw these poor little kids in these motels along East Colfax and they were witnessing drug exchanges in sex trade. They said, you know, Mile High Ministry said no, we're going to offer a safe transitional housing because it was so heartbreaking.
Speaker 20: These are little penits.
Speaker 23: So what they did was they bought this motel and a lot of you.
Speaker 20: This was in two thousand and one. It was called the Motel seven.
Speaker 23: It was called the Spa motor in right on I seventy across from Empower Stadium. Anyway, they bought this place and they built this incredible facility. And last night I was just part of a service team serving a meal, and I said to the director, what do you need because these families are really trying. How many families we served about seventy people.
Speaker 20: Seventy families, right, So.
Speaker 1: Do they get to live there for how long? They said that.
Speaker 20: They tried to do ninety days.
Speaker 23: People can't who are just fresh out of trauma and homelessness, they can't turn it around in ninety days. So they figured out this has been going on for a while, so they have a system that works. Two years is usually the time, and I said, what these women.
Speaker 1: I forget women with kids come in and stay two years.
Speaker 8: And men.
Speaker 23: I mean, there's speaker last they're wonderful. Then they have little babies and little kids. Okay, so they transition them into having a permanent home and they have a very good track record. What I noticed was a giant well of water from the rain, and they lose half their parking spot every time it rains. So somebody on your refer list or somebody listening who can help them out. Joshua was stationed. You can google it and find out where it is. If you can help them with that drainage, that would be wonderful. Also, if there's gardeners listening, they need gardening experts to help them with their community garden. It's beautiful, it's all there. The playground needs them updating. They would love to have a place that's better. They have a little sad grill out there. Also, the biggest thing they need if somebody's listening, is a van. Because I told Tom this, I'm texting them all night, you know about this. I was sitting at the table and these little boys said, you know, we're not excited about summer. We're sad. About it because when we go to school, we get a guaranteed lunch every day, and we get to be around kids that aren't living in homelessness, and we get to have hope.
Speaker 1: They like going to school, get a vent.
Speaker 23: They love it because it's an escape. So but I do think they've created a beautiful place there. The problem is after two years, a lot of these kids have a hard time because they had such infrastructure and so many social workers in, psychologists and psychiatrists. But the van would allow them to go for hikes or go places.
Speaker 20: So they really need a van. That's what she said.
Speaker 23: And I said, well, you know what, I'm going to see what I can do to help you. That's what I was thinking. And if somebody wants to help them with that drainage problem, I was even thinking your landscape.
Speaker 1: Guy, Yeah, but is that blacktop is the I sent you a picture of it last year. It's asphalt.
Speaker 20: It's asphalt.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the whole thing has to be re see that's the problem when asphalt pools water. Sometimes it's and here's the thing, privately donated, so that's own government funding place place. They bought this motel, they converted it into apartments right.
Speaker 20: Yes, and they're beautiful.
Speaker 23: The volunteers have made a beautiful, comfortable place for these kids.
Speaker 1: About seventy about seventy families get to stay there as a transitional place.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 1: And how do they qualify to stay there?
Speaker 20: Well, I think they have to go through quite a bit of hoops in order.
Speaker 1: To people contact whether they want to help, where they need help. Yep, if you need number.
Speaker 20: Housing with your family, sure, I'll look it up.
Speaker 10: Look up, Sephanie, howpout gofund me there? Raise some cash? You know, I don't help.
Speaker 20: I think that could help.
Speaker 23: Let me see Joshua station there it is, okay, let's give out the number. Let's give out the number because oh and and uh okay then two zero okay seven two zero three seven seven yeah, one one zero three And the address is two three three zero West Mulberry Place.
Speaker 20: That's in Denver again, Joshua.
Speaker 1: Is right off in by seventy West Mulberry.
Speaker 23: West Mulberry. It comes right up when you do it. And you know what, when you if you go to my Instagram underscore Stephanie Riggs, I have a whole little video so you can say what the kids look like and all the rest of it. But what I will tell you is if you want to call that number and let me just give it to you again, because if you're like me, you don't always have a pen available. Seven two zero three seven seven one one zero three.
Speaker 20: Ask for Amy. She's the director.
Speaker 23: And she said, you know, I was living a beautiful life up in Evergreen and God told me to come here and help these kids. And I told her, at the end of the day, this is all that's going to matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is right now. If people need help, they can call that number two. So these families. Oh, I got to take a break, Okay, hold on, we'll come right back. And also Angela, I'll take you as well. Hi, Tom Martino here at three three seven one three talk.
Speaker 14: Got you say one thing, Tom, Go ahead, sir, that your wife is the embodiment of the phrase kicking over your cover bridge.
Speaker 10: You have a kick coverage. Well, thank you so far it is amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, thank you. Yeah, I know I'm not going to get her glasses. Let's put it that way. Three h three seven one three talk. Angela. You want to purchase a motor home?
Speaker 9: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 1: What's tell me about it.
Speaker 9: I'm looking to buy something something on a com vacation and go out and about and no kids. I have a regular home that I can sell in order to do this.
Speaker 1: Well, so I uniate a full time in a motor home.
Speaker 12: Maybe.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm looking to probably show my house. Oh so I figure if I can shout my house and go out and do something.
Speaker 1: All right, that's a whole different ballgame. I want you to hold on. I'm going to come back to you first, right after the break, because that's the full time are being. I know a lot about it. I want you to hold on so you don't get burnt.
Speaker 3: Ripped news need advice, Well.
Speaker 1: You don't have.
Speaker 2: Come run anxious successes to can Shooter's gonna help?
Speaker 21: Come? Man?
Speaker 18: This is the Troubleshooter Show. Now, Tom Martino, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. This hour brought to you by Frank Duran, the real Estateman dot com. If you're looking to see what your house will sell for, Frank will do a free analysis of the market conditions, the comps, the neighborhood supply and demand, interest rates, everything going into it and give you an accurate an accurate idea of what it will sell for, especially using his methods. Give him a call for a free analysis with no obligation ever. Frank durand the real estate Man dot Com three h three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Now we're going to talk to Angela. By the way, our lines are open if you want to get right through. We got our car people with us to say. Kevin Calkins shared an auto tech Jeff Fick Kimera transmission. We have Deputy d Deputy Doc all in the house wanting to solve problems for you. And Angela says that she has a question on a motor home. She wants to purchase a motor home to full time RV. Now, Angela, there are many many factors going into r v's and full timing.
Speaker 9: Well, real quick. I actually I have a friend, so it's a personal good friend whatnot. He's got a particular motor home that he's selling and from when I am found that it's a pretty good deal. But I really don't know. So I'll call in it and ask which okay, because I need to be a purchase.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what to ask. I want to know. But there's a lot of things to consider with full time rving First and foremost, here's what I need to know. Some people full time are but they have a base station, they have a home. You're planning on not having a base station, right, You're not going to have a home to come back to. You're going to do everything out of the RV.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 9: I was kind of thinking about being a groupie for a bit, but what family that I can bay station with?
Speaker 3: Groupie for? Who?
Speaker 1: Pant Wow? Who?
Speaker 3: Pantera?
Speaker 9: Panter?
Speaker 3: It's a huge heavy metal band, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How old are you right now? Angela fifty two? Wow? This is pretty cool? So listen, So you have income enough to sport your income and all that too, Like if something goes wrong with the RV, will you be able to stay in a motel for a few days while they fix it to go?
Speaker 9: That's the things that I was wondering. And I had heard that you had like a template on other issues. Yes, that I was that I heard. So yeah, maybe if you had a template, like maybe for me to kind of go buy yes, maybe ask your especial was what the idea is on this particular this particular model.
Speaker 1: Now first, let me let me let me get the model, tell me what it is and we'll look it up. What is it?
Speaker 9: It's a two thousand and six Alpha C. Yeah, like look at you later.
Speaker 1: See ya Alpha CIA.
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And who makes it?
Speaker 9: It's we may take off this one gentleman that design that was the first designer had.
Speaker 3: A fifth wheel?
Speaker 1: Is it a motor home or is it a fifth wheel?
Speaker 3: That's it's like a bus.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's like a bush. Yeah, it's like a it's a motorized home that goes on the road.
Speaker 3: No, No, how many feet is it?
Speaker 1: Is it forty feet?
Speaker 9: It's it's pretty long.
Speaker 3: No, they're nice motor homes.
Speaker 1: But I need to know. Do you have sly outs in it?
Speaker 24: Yes?
Speaker 1: How many slides are?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 9: It's it's got a pull. It's got to pull, refrigerator in it.
Speaker 1: What what? What are the slide outs? You got to give me dimensions on this thing. We got to narrow it down to get the history on it.
Speaker 9: Well, I've got because I got. I went, I saw it. I looked at it, but I being not knowing what to look at what's right down? I guess I didn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, But but you must know how many feet it is?
Speaker 9: It's it's uh, I want to I don't know. We say that the tractor trailer was a forty eight foot, so I'm saying just around that.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like a forty five, But it sounds like a forty five foot to me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 8: It's stad Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, now that's a nice different that's a nice motor. You don't need a license to drive. You don't need a special license to drive it, right, Okay. Now, if it's a forty five foot Alphacia A two thousand and six, that's not a bad vehicle, not a bad vehicle at all. What I want to know is what condition is it in.
Speaker 9: It's in very nice conditions, and it's only it has ninety thousand miles on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good. What kind of power plan is that? The Cummings in that? Yes, how many is it?
Speaker 9: Five hundred horse Well, it's called the Gold it's called the Gold Package.
Speaker 1: The Gold Package.
Speaker 3: You're not giving us a lot to go on.
Speaker 1: Okay, But in general, that's not a bad vehicle. But I'm curious about the power plant specifically, and the transmission and if you have the independent front suspension, what do you plan on doing with it. Do you plan on driving mostly or staying mostly? Like some people when they do full time rving, they set it up in maybe two places a year, like one for winter, one for summer. Others travel all the time time. So what do you plan on doing? Do you plan on setting it up in one place or another or do you plan on traveling all over the place.
Speaker 9: Well, it was just pretty fresh for me, this idea that I've come to that he's got to prevail, and I was very interested. So I really I haven't thought of that, And that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: It's good to know because the more you're going to move around, the more you're going to have to really depend on the drive train. And I need to know a little bit more about that. But in any case, how much does he want for it?
Speaker 9: Eighteen thousand?
Speaker 1: What that's cheap?
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Tom, I'm looking at RV trailer that's pretty cheap eight two thousand and six, see us, and they range from fifteen thousand to forty nine.
Speaker 3: I know that's pretty cheap.
Speaker 1: She's got a good deal.
Speaker 4: Well that the cheapness might be a huge red flag.
Speaker 1: I know, why is he doing this as a favor to you? I mean, why is he asking only eight grand for it?
Speaker 3: Fifteen I'm sure?
Speaker 1: Wait, fifteen grand he has?
Speaker 8: Yeah it is.
Speaker 9: It's the one he was using. So he's upgraded and he has a home and either across the road where he really needs to have three mover homes on.
Speaker 1: Fifteen grand and fifteen grand is a.
Speaker 4: Steel we're assuming the engine and transmission or yes, of course, right?
Speaker 3: Do you know how much it would cost to repair that engine and or transmission? Oh, it's a lot of the tens of thousands.
Speaker 1: Isn't that analys in transmission?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it should be a Alison an.
Speaker 1: Alice in world transmission and a Cummins five hundred. I think that's How would they.
Speaker 9: Go about getting that tested?
Speaker 8: Oh, I'm glad.
Speaker 9: You have to drive it somewhere? Or can I get it done on the property?
Speaker 1: No, I would take it somewhere. You want them to put that up on a rack. You want them to look at that thing, or a pit. You want them to look at that up and down. This is a giant investment. And think about this. Okay, Now you're going to be money ahead if you sell your house and you put money in this. But with the extra money you have don't piss it away. You need to put that money away somewhere for emergencies. I'm serious.
Speaker 9: That's that's another radio show, right.
Speaker 1: But as far as the Alpha CEA right now, that's a great price. Everywhere I'm looking, that's a great price. Is he a friend of me?
Speaker 21: With that?
Speaker 9: I would know what I would need to pull it, what kind of power I would need to Now.
Speaker 1: What are you going to do about a car?
Speaker 9: I actually have a motorcycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what are you going to do.
Speaker 9: With that Harley? Are incorporate bringing the Harley with this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: You can.
Speaker 1: You can put a hitch on the back that will take the Harley, but you're not going to have any kind of car to drive around. I'm don't At this point, you sound like a fund.
Speaker 9: I'm a vehicle Now. I have a vehicle that I drive, but it's a truck.
Speaker 1: Now, if you do get a vehicle, see what I would recommend. I mean you want the Harley, so you're always going to have to be on good weather. I mean, if you pull up in a winter place you want to stay for a couple of weeks in a winter, You're not going to be able to use the Harley to get around, Well.
Speaker 9: I'll probably believe it in a Elevan's house with the ententer time, and you know you're.
Speaker 3: Going to go with the weather.
Speaker 1: You're gonna in fair weather. You're going to stay in fair weather.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you stay in fair weather and you have a Harley, you can get a rack on the back of that that'll carry that harley without towing it. Because I don't recommend you toe anything unless you really know what you're doing. Right, Guys, do you have any what we recommendations you have? Who checks these out? Does Centry RV I think would check it out for you. You've got to go to an RV place for the service department. Centry r V has a really good service department. I would check them out. Next Camping okay, well, okay, Camping World is okay for assessories and stuff. I'm not sure they're the best place for service. I would go to where are you? Where do you live? I would go to Centry r V at I twenty five at Johnson's Corner Century. They're good people. Trans West or No, the truck place that was on the referral list because.
Speaker 3: Mark there was it? Wait wait, they mainly do over the road truck. But they also just.
Speaker 1: George Stevenson would be one. Maybe that's not it. We have trans West is another, we have Sentry is another.
Speaker 3: Was that was it like Midland or something like that.
Speaker 1: I don't recall it really. Remember you have two things to check out. That's why I go to an RV place. You have the house part and then you have the chassis and drive train part two separate people like, for example, Stuart and Stevenson doesn't work on the house, they work on the drive train. Trans West works on the drive train, whereas Century RV would work on both. I keep going back to Century RV. There's also another one. RV America is another one. But you want someone with a full time RV service department to check that out head to toe, and you're going to pay for it. But it's worth it, okay.
Speaker 9: So excuse me. So what would they the nicest way to go about? Because this is a good friend of mine and I don't think.
Speaker 1: Well, you just tell him you want to here's the nicest way.
Speaker 9: I don't want to mess up a relationships.
Speaker 1: You say, hello, friends, I want to stay friends with you. I'd like to go have this checked out, and then it's on your dime.
Speaker 9: Because transporting the vehicle being on the coloride of state roads.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, does it have a.
Speaker 9: License to drive it to this place?
Speaker 1: Does he have a license?
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know that bar, but I'm just used to not driving on anybody's plate type thing.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, the guy's got to be able to get it to a place to have it checked out. Do they have mobile RV places that can check it? Yes, there are some mobile RV services, but I'm not sure within it, I'm not sure they would be equipped to check it as much as you need it checked. I would never make a purchase this big. Now, it's not that big. When I say this big, it's fifteen grand, I mean truly big for me. But but truly it's a big responsibility because you're going to live in it. There's a lot. It's a lot of responsibility. What's the interior like? Everything work? Yes?
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, I open cabinets and let them go out and everything. Yeah, they didn't creak.
Speaker 1: But all of the stud heat, the plumbing, all of that works.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: There's even a skylight in the shower.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Yeah, that's what they do so listen. It's it's from what I can see, they have good reviews, they're good units. I don't think it's a bad idea. I would not purchase it without taking it somewhere to be checked. And that's going to caution about.
Speaker 9: Out on these every year and nothing like that.
Speaker 1: You want listen, you need them to check the slides. My god, if anything like that goes wrong, you need to You just need to get it checked. And if your friend doesn't see the wisdom in that, I wouldn't do business with him. I mean, you have to get it checked out. That's a really good price, but you still have to get it checked out. And he should be able to get it somewhere. Nobody's going to bother him if he's going somewhere to get it checked out. In fact, if you had a that's that's all I'm saying, get it checked out. Anything else, guys, I mean I think that. I think it's a great price. I mean, if that thing is in great condition, she's got to buy and that's that's going to serve you well. But be careful, make sure you can get that rack for the Harley. You don't want to be anywhere with just a motor home. I've done that years ago, and it's a terrible way to go. You want to be able to really, uh want to be able to be mobile once you park that thing. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Cliff, Welcome to the show. Cliff.
Speaker 3: What can we do for you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 17: Yes, I have a I went to Firestone. I had bought some tires and uh they were less some two thousand miles on them, and I had a road hazard guarantee and I did have to have one replaced, and they replaced it for free, but then all the little charges they Nicola and Dimi to death ended up paying forty eight plus twenty dollars tax, and they claimed tax.
Speaker 1: Would have been no, wait a minute, wait a minute, what do you mean, Nay, Nicol and Diami, what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Hundred?
Speaker 17: They replaced the tire for free, but they charge twelve ninety nine to balance the new one, got it ninety seven for the valve, and then they charged me thirty four to twenty for a new road hazard on the new tire, and of course five dollars to recycle, and then on the forty eight dollars they charged twenty dollars tax.
Speaker 1: Which, so what did it all come what did it come out to be for the free tire?
Speaker 17: Sixty eight bucks?
Speaker 3: Sixty sixty eight what would the tire have cost you? Have you just walked in to buy a tire without.
Speaker 17: A warranty, probably two hundred or something.
Speaker 1: Well, you saved money.
Speaker 17: Yeah, But my question is is that normal to charge I remember years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's normal.
Speaker 17: Didn't pay anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well years ago, you know, cigarette were twenty five cents a pack.
Speaker 3: Gasoline was a dime of gallon.
Speaker 17: Well, the thing that I kind of bothered me the most is they charged me twenty dollars tax on what the tire would have cost me.
Speaker 1: Well, that's weird.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: That's weird. That is weird on that now, I can't speak to that.
Speaker 10: I will bet you that's a Colorado law.
Speaker 14: And if they had no choice in the matter, they're not going to charge you at tax just because they feel like charge you attack.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In other words, I don't think they're cheating you or it has to be.
Speaker 17: A statutory thing, okay, but it is normal.
Speaker 21: Charges No, those charges are normal.
Speaker 3: I remember doing that too.
Speaker 1: Like when they quote tires to you, there's all kinds of quote, there's all kinds of prices that go on top of it, all kinds. Just buying a normal tire, you'd pay that. So what they're saying to you is we're replacing the tire, but you're going to pay pay for the balancing, and you're going to pay for the mounting, and you're going to pay for anything extra. And then but what I didn't realize is, and this is a little tricky, you have to pay for the road hazard on the new tire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thirty Yeah, I'm not surprised he bought road hazard for a tire, not for a certain period of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're right. That's a good way.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 17: So I didn't know if that's a normal charge everywhere or if that was just that particular No.
Speaker 1: It's not that particular operation. Everyone does it. Everyone does it. Balancing and mounting is always extra, always, unless, of course they do some kind of special and advertise that it's not. But I would say to you that you're still saved a lot of money because add to that the price of the tire yeah, that's true.
Speaker 17: I know I did. Yeah, and so I didn't it. I guess the main thing was right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Just want to know if they were if they were putting you together or not, And I don't know. And the answer is no. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three two five five. This is another one along that line as a text. How much or how long can I expect new tires to last? That's a good question. And is there a difference in the brand of tire and how long they last?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, No, there's definitely a where pattern will where everything depends on the tread, depends on a lot of things.
Speaker 16: Sure, yeah, it can have been on the compound. I mean, are made for you know, more stealth. You want to quieter ride inside a Cadillac as opposed to you know, your Chevy truck and where you're going to get a more aggressive pattern because you know you're taking them off road.
Speaker 3: Or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: So it suffice it to say, the softer the tire, the more it wears. Yes, And as far as the hardness or softness of a tire, that has to do everything with weather, Right, the hotter the weather.
Speaker 3: The harder the compound that you're starting with.
Speaker 1: But why do you start with a certain compound for gris for grip rations? And that has to do mainly with weather, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see you're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the colder you get, the softer compound you need.
Speaker 10: Correct.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so that's where you get like your blizz ax that you know people put on for a snow tire during the winter. They're great, they grab darn dear as good as change. But you don't want to run around in the summer because you were going to wear them down fast.
Speaker 1: So you want to tire that will perform well in whatever weather you're in, and the compound determines how long it lasts. Does the tread design have anything to do with it? Or do tread designs just happen to be what they are? The whole idea of a tread design, as I understood it is to move liquids from center to the perimeters, right, Yes, is to get rid of liquid.
Speaker 3: It's a lot to do with it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, But tires also have what the color of U t it's UTQG rating. It's enough rating that actually will give you the wear of the tire. Really, Yes, each tire has a rating and you buy them sag UTQG so s almost Yeah, like a four hundred rated tire is going to we're faster than an eight hundred rated tire.
Speaker 1: And you pay accordingly.
Speaker 11: Obviously, Yes, that's the quality of the tire will improve with that rating.
Speaker 1: JR. You have a comment, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the comment on discount tire. I bought their tire policy warranty is this last one was twenty five dollars. That's all they charged when my tire blew out and if they couldn't fix it, so it was twenty five no taxes, no balance whatever.
Speaker 3: That was discount.
Speaker 1: Huh. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 24: So so changed too.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you buy road hazard when you buy tires?
Speaker 12: Right right?
Speaker 3: All the time?
Speaker 12: Road hazard?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do too. My wife was a big believer in that. We got more coming up. Er three seven one three talks seven one three two five to five. Kh TMP Solutions now has painting pros khpaying pros. Go to kg windows dot com for a reliable company with painting. Great company, that's K and H Home Solutions kgewindows dot com. All right, so we've been talking about tires a bit. Jay has a comment on tires. We talked about how long they last, and in a general conclusion, the softer the compound, the more they wear. The harder the compound, the better they wear. But you have to balance that compound for grip, because if it's too hard, you're gonna get a rough ride and no grip. If it's too soft, you're gonna get a lot of grip, but they're gonna wear easily. What do you think is the best all around tire? If you had to pick one tire to live with all year, best cut tire probably Misslin Michelin to mission to make all weather.
Speaker 11: Yep, everything's all weather anymore. There's very few that aren't.
Speaker 1: Really, so most tires are good all year around us.
Speaker 3: No all season?
Speaker 1: Okay, Jay, what do you have to say about tires?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 8: Tom uh?
Speaker 25: The guy that got his road hazard warranty before they charged some taxes and everything else. If you got a discount tire, the only thing you would pay whatsoever is if you bought another warranty on the replacement tire. No out of pocket, none at all.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me a discount When you go in for a road hazard replacement, you are not being dinged, for balancing, for mounting, for anything, literally nothing, not the fresh air. Yep, that new air doesn't cause you anything. No, that's good. I didn't realize that. That's where I get That's where I get all my tires is Discount.
Speaker 10: I can second that because though, what's that.
Speaker 25: They're willing to sell you a warranty for the new tire.
Speaker 1: But yeah, why wouldn't you get a warranty on the new tire. I mean if it serves you well the first time.
Speaker 25: Yeah, that's the only out of you know.
Speaker 1: That's the only kind of I when I talk about extended warranties and service plans and all that, tires are the only place where I spend for that road hazard. Because really, I mean, if you think about it, there's a lot of road hazards out there. So what does a road hazard not cover? What would it not cover? Nothing?
Speaker 14: I've I've had two road hazards at Discount Tire and no questions asked.
Speaker 10: They replace the tire and the call is right.
Speaker 14: The only thing, the only thing I got jogged for was the the re up of the warranty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is considered a road hazard?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Potholes all of that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just basically any reason the time. And it depends on where you go.
Speaker 1: To pick up a nail.
Speaker 3: Is that a road hazard?
Speaker 8: Yep?
Speaker 3: Yep. But discount doesn't ask, They just do it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're just they're great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's why people always buy. I mean, I think they probably sell more road hazards than anybody. Okay, let me go to the let me go to the text here, and someone says here that if they can't, if they can't afford a Sequoya, and then we're looking at this Chevy Tahoe expedition. What other vehicles are in that category? What are there? What are good buys in that category? Good used buys?
Speaker 16: Well, you've got some of those Ndai SUVs could fit into that category.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't Hundai hold its value too much to be a good bye?
Speaker 11: Well you can almost buy a new one, that's true, that's you know.
Speaker 1: And sometimes people who buy these used cars, what they don't realize is and this I go over this all the time. I went over with a mother one time. She had forty nine hundred bucks or like five thousand. She wanted to buy a car and be done with it. Now, this is a true story. And I said, what do you going to get for five grand? You're going to get an older car with a lot of miles. This was about maybe six years ago, five or six years ago. So listen to this. I said to her, take that five grand and put it down on a Hyundai. The Hyundai has a ten year warranty, it's brand new, and at the time they were selling for around eighteen to twenty thousand dollars. Listen to this. She puts five thousand down and she finances about I think it was thirteen thousand something like that. With taxes and insurance and everything. Her payments were going to be a little over one hundred bucks a month, a little over one hundred for a brand new, ten year warranty Hyundai. Okay, she said, no, I'd rather have a car where I have no payments. And I said, okay, so you're going to buy a car. She bought a car for forty nine something, right under five grand. A year or two late, she's looking at a transmission, then she's looking at major engine work. Her monthly payment to own that car, To own that forty nine hundred and ninety five dollars car, that five thousand dollars car over three years cost her more than a new car. Because people have this mental thing about financing a car, but what they don't realize is sometimes it's better to finance a car. So maybe this guy here and I know who you are. I think, yeah, yeah, it's you. You do what we just well, no, no, it is and it's one of my YouTubers. Okay, he's looking at one of these used SUVs. Sometimes if you have money to pay cash for an suv, it's better to take that cash and put it down on a brand new car that's providing. You can live with a new car and you're not going to try to trade it in early. It's always best if you're going to do a three year loan, keep it for the life of the loan. You never ever get ahead when you when you get something and you prematurely get out of it, whether it's a lease or it's a finance deal. But too many people have this mental aversion to having a financed vehicle and sometimes your money ahead, especially now with Kia and Hyundai and some of these warranties. These warranties are spectacular, incredible, and you get one of these warranties, and then you get a low interest rate. And I say low, The interest rates aren't great right now, but you can get sometimes some introductory interest rates. You can have a new car, and your pro rated cost of owning that over three to five years is almost always cheaper than a used car, almost always, almost always, because the amount that you have, the age and the mileage of a car you have to get to get into that five or six thousand dollars range. In fact, I don't think there's anything worth a damn right now in the five or six thousand dollars range to you.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's basically just barely running.
Speaker 1: And if you're going to finance the car anyway, you get into ten and fifteen thousand miles, you're gonna put money down. You may as well put that money down on a better car.
Speaker 10: Hey, Tom, I have two questions.
Speaker 14: One, you can always negotiate which has done twice to fifteen thousand miles a year, which they will, they will do you ask them. And secondly, does it ever pay to get a helock at a lower interest rate? Yes, pay off the car and then just get if.
Speaker 1: You have the discipline that in fact, that is an excellent strategy. The problem dock when people use helocks and when people use lines of credit on their home. The problem is they start now because they don't have a car payment due and they have a helock payment due. They sometimes make the minimum payment, they pay less than they would on a car payment, and then they start using credit for other things and they don't have the discipline to pay it off. So that becomes that car loan that should be paid off in two or three or four years that now all of a sudden they didn't pay it off. They're sitting at five or six years and the car goes bad. Now they have a loan they have to get for the car, and they're still paying off on the first car because there's no bank hounding them to pay it off. And that's the only thing. If you have the discipline to take a heelock, it's always going to be better than a car loan one hundred percent of the time. If you have the discipline to pay that part of the heelock off in three to five years. That's the challenge. The challenge isn't whether it's good or not, but it's whether you tie it up. We've had people go out and get helocks on appliances and a car, and all of a sudden it turned out to be a ten or fifteen year loan, and by the time they needed new stuff, they had to go out and get a new They had to get new stuff. And they still hold on the o stuff because there's no one pressuring them to get it paid off. So if you have discipline, in fact, people should always use the equity in their home if you have the discipline to pay it off. Martine here at three h three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Mike's got to comment on tires. Go ahead, Mike, what's your comment, sir.
Speaker 24: Hi Tom, I've been listening to your discussion about tire certificates. Yes, and there's a point even your experts have missed.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 8: In that?
Speaker 3: It's if you need one.
Speaker 24: Tire, that's great, but if you have an all wheel drive or four wheel drive car, you need four tires, not one.
Speaker 3: Well, particularly with the all wheel drive.
Speaker 1: You know, he's right about that. He's right about that. What happens in that case you need.
Speaker 16: To buy the other three tires h crap? Yeah, because they're not going to be covered by your hazard.
Speaker 24: I think a discount, they will, I'll give you four.
Speaker 1: You know what, hold on out, you know, I know, hold on My wife one time she had where she needed two of them because of the type of car, and they did throw in the second car the tire one time. I remember that happened, and I'm not sure if it was a special thing or if they do that regularly.
Speaker 10: They don't.
Speaker 14: When I've had my road damage, it was on my Subaru, which was oh will drive, and they told me that I should get a second tire, but they didn't throw it in. And also depends on how much where and Taylor is.
Speaker 1: That's true too. If there's not that many.
Speaker 3: Miles, it's okay.
Speaker 1: And then I've often heard about this shaving down of tires. Do they really do that or not?
Speaker 3: Somewhere on the planet they do.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because I've heard like, well you get the other ones, you get the new one shaved down to match the ones you have. Yet I've never once heard of someone who actually does it. Yeah, it sounds so wasteful.
Speaker 4: You know, you buy a brand new tire and then you yeah, somebody you've loud on a machine on with.
Speaker 1: Obviously if your tires have thirty and forty thousand, that's different. But if it's like twelve or fifteen and you can get by with shaving one, that would be worth it. Anyway, we're running out of time, so here's where I remind you to get help. It's really easy. First of all, let me tell you about our guests. Jeff Vick. You can reach them at Transmissions Denver dot com. That's Transmissions Denver dot com for Comber Transmission, and Kevin Calkins shared an auto tech dot com and me three oh three Martino.
Speaker 18: Follow Tom Martino at Real Tom Martino and stay connected with all of us at six thirty k kyhow dot com and on the iHeartRadio app. This is Denver's tompstation, six thirty khw