Speaker 1: We're the Sean Salisbury Show continued, I'm just gonna I'm gonna roll through some some some names here for you, Sean.
Speaker 2: Okay can I I don't know if this is true. Uh oh, but Jeremy J Jay Dim Underscore nineteen ninety two on Twitter is a buddy of the show. I mean tweets us says apparently.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is true because he split lol on the end, but I'm assuming because he put a specific number that apparently Sharp spent over one hundred and thirty thousand.
Speaker 3: On those teeth. WHA, what damn is that true? Let me let me say, is that is that true? Dude?
Speaker 2: I mean, man, those are some choppers. For one hundred and thirty grand, that's some teeth. I mean, you're paying some coin for me.
Speaker 1: Sh Shannon Sharp indeed said on his Club Shasha podcast that he spent over one hundred and thirty thousand dollars on his veneer and he brushes his teeth ten times a day.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: I don't mind you brushing your teeth ten times a game. I like a good hygiene and being fresh too.
Speaker 1: One hundred and thirty thousand dollars worth of veneers and implants in his mouth.
Speaker 2: Man, that's a lot of that's a lot of that's a lot of real estate right there, with one hundred and thirty thousand worth. There's your there's there's your down payment on your new crib.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, a lot of it, man.
Speaker 2: And that's a that's a that's a lot of that's a lot of money for some teeth. But good, good on him. If you can afford to sling a buck thirty on him, go for it.
Speaker 3: That's just stupid. Whoa, it's it. Don't get his wallet?
Speaker 1: No, not like stupid as him, dumb like stupid, like that's just stupid money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, that dentist is a do it all right? My god? Man?
Speaker 2: A buck a buck thirty? Yes, yeah, man, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's insane. All right, good on him. I love it. Good on him. I ain't hating him on it, no, man. All right.
Speaker 1: Uh with this question I have for you, Sean, if the NFL has a QUB development problem, I'm just gonna roll some names here. Anthony Richardson twenty two years old, he's been benched. Bryce Young, twenty three years old. He's been benched. Trey Lance twenty four barely started, benched. Justin Fields twenty five years old. He has been benched. Will Levis twenty five years old. He's been benched. Zach Wilson twenty five benched, Mac Jones twenty six years old, benched, Kenny Pickett twenty six years old, benched. In those names, Anthony Richardson, Bryce Young are a part in Will Levis. We're all a part of the same draft class as c. J.
Speaker 2: Stroud and Hendon Hooker too. And but also you know, came off the injury, off the the injury, and you're talking about first round picks anyway. Yeah, so what's your question. Do we have a problem?
Speaker 3: Is there? Okay?
Speaker 1: But then also let me play Devil's advocate real quick for you. Caleb Williams starter, Jaden Daniels starter, c J. Stroud starter, Brock Purty starter, Bo Nicks starter, Trevor Lawrence starter, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert to a tongue of ilo at, Joe Burrow, Kyle Murray, Lamar Jackson, all those guys, Drake May. All those guys are twenty seven years and younger. Now you look at guys that have Trevor Lawrence has just been has pretty much stayed the same, dipped a little bit, gone up a little bit. Dal don't donjer Dal Jones are But with the names that I started, all of those guys are very young, high draft picks and they're all on the bench. Does the NFL have a QB development.
Speaker 2: From how many of them are on the bench because they have a star in front of him. Are on the bench because of poor performance.
Speaker 1: Mac Jones' poor performance, Zach Wilson poor performance. Can he pick at poor performance? Will Levis is not very good. Justin Fields you can about their ability. We're talking about their performance while playing quarterback in the NFL. Justin Fields is the outlier. I thought he's actually gotten better and played pretty well. But he's got on the bench and he's on his second team in three years. Trey Lance the time that you I've seen him in he's terrible. I'm gonna call it like it is. He's terrible. Bryce Young poor performance, and Anthony's been terrible as well. Out of me and Anthony Richardson is terrible. Dude couldn't hit the braw side of a barn.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'd have to go through each one again, but for the most part. Now, last year, Zach Wilson, their team was pretty good. They had some players, but they're struggling this year even with how many of those teams that we named these quarterbacks are on that are benched that were in that class or on good teams. Okay, that's one I've said on this many and there's some veterans that are like this too. They better have great players around him to validate why you pick them, and they're good. There's only it's it's a rare one. If they rare one that you can go on a team as a young player on a bad team and you are the reason you turn at Stroud's partames not the only reason, but a big.
Speaker 3: Part of it.
Speaker 1: Well, those are the two that I was going to bring it back to you right.
Speaker 2: And look at the way was playing and Caleb woodde the Chicago Bears may end up missing the playoffs because of the boneheaded play.
Speaker 3: At the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they'll marry because they are playing good football. So let's we're trying to We can't bury the Caleb Williams has done well, He's not as the numbers aren't as good as Jayden Daniels, but all four of those. Again, Drake may looks to have some skills, right, So do we have a quarterback development problem? Of course we do because we throw guys in because you draft him high and all the money involved in your team's not good and part of the development problems fans as well, And I'm gonna tell you why you run out there, for instance, Michael Pennix, who's not a first rounder, but go ahead, I take it back. First for top ten pick. Was it's supposed to be until late right? Some people thought you cold get him after fifteen? Well, Atlanta gets him. He's backing up. If Kirk Cousins goes three games and doesn't have a good and they lose three in a row, what or even what in the opener if he threws three picks? What you heard people say after they got beating the opener? Uh, there's people that want pinnicks. So fans, what happened? What happened here? The tom Savages first half? Oh god? People people were pining for Watson before but wanted him to play. So fans said, because if you draft a guy that high and you got to start in front of him, like Cousins are like a veteran who, you know, not an Aaron Rodgers, but a good veteran that you're eventually going to give way to. Right, what happens if he throws three picks in the opener? What's everybody in the world say, start to play the rookie, Give the rookie a shot. Happens all the time. Look what they did to Malik Willis in Tennessee. Put him in there when their quarterback wasn't playing well. He played awful. They didn't even want to throw it, and then he lost some confidence and they weren't very good on offense. They they put him in the motor pool and sent him away. I mean, you know, got rid of him, and they go get will Levis, who's having the same some of the similar struggles.
Speaker 3: And look what Willis has done now, didn't get.
Speaker 2: Frustrated, went to a better team that coaches it better, and he's come off the bench and played damn good football in place with Jordan Love. So the development coaching matters, players commitment off season what they're doing.
Speaker 3: And we also at a young age, what do these guys do?
Speaker 2: How many times do you watch guys and I can go there and I train them and watch guys train them that everything we do has got to be what mahomes and the off schedule guys do. It starts in high school. These guys want to put a highlight reel of off schedule stuff. So when you actually ask them to make a play under center or from the gun in rhythm, some can't do it.
Speaker 3: So they're just it's play and then seven on.
Speaker 2: Seven wall great for reps, also sucks for mechanics and performance. If you want a quarterback to lose if a coach isn't paying attention, because what do they they're getting paid. They're not usually the high school coach that coaches seven on seven for their own high school, right, So what do they do? They go out there, I watch them drop back, hold the ball, Holy the buzzer goes off. They're climbing the pocket instead of you want to talk about screwing your mechanics up for them.
Speaker 3: There's some good seven on side.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying the coaches aren't good, but their job they want to win the seven on seven league.
Speaker 3: You're not coaching mechanics. So what do they do? Then they come back to you get ready.
Speaker 2: For the fall and say, why is that ball dropping while you hold one hand? Because playmaking, I'm not seven out seven can be great, but it's got to be used properly. Right, Yeah, if I teach you, if you have, all you teach is hitting home runs during batting practice and then you got to go play during the season.
Speaker 3: What's going to happen now.
Speaker 2: Mechanics are going to struggle and you got to make up for three months of lost time. So it'd be nice if they were working in unison. So it does start there, and then in college they're not working on mechanics. You're working on I just want a guy gives me a chance to win, so and we love these dual threat quarterbacks, but we're spending so much time teaching all that other stuff that we forgot the very basics that a guy like Anthony richards And lost his job because he can't perform hit a shallow crosser on the move where the guy can run and score instead of behind him, or hits off his back shoulder, or mac Jones maybe physically limited but doesn't have all those receivers he had there, goes to New England, has a good rookie year. They protect him then when they have to rely on him more to do it, and he doesn't have great players around him.
Speaker 3: Mac Jones is just an average player.
Speaker 2: So they've all shown flashes of something special, but it's sustaining.
Speaker 3: It's a hard position. So develop me.
Speaker 2: Yes, we don't have the time. We won't let him develop. And every now and then you get a guy who's ready Jaden Daniels, c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 2: Most of them are like the guys you mentioned, most rookies in their time and first and second year guys that were forced into playing on crappy ass teams.
Speaker 3: They try to do too much.
Speaker 2: They get to hear with Sam Darnold another case in point, couldn't play I mean a lick in the Jets and flashes, but then you move him on. He's on his third team and a fourth team. He was in San Francisco as well, gets with the coach, he's comfortable, Quitch trying to be a hero, got good players and guess what he's got him in a chance to be a playoff team and five games into the season was the MVP in the league. So yeah, we got to development problem. It's part player. They don't put enough time in on the Macada basic stuff. It's part coaching and how they all these leagues that they go where you're just throwing for reps and every rep is not a good rep. That's one thing, Hey get more reps in. Well, if you're giving bad reps in and we're coaching bad reps, guess what happens. That's what the mind's gonna remember, and the body and the mechanics are going to do bad reps. Because you have success dropping out our armslot once in a while doesn't mean that's the right thing to do. You still got to coach the proper mechanics without being robotic, right, So all those things then you get and when you get to the C season, no coaches keaching mechanics. We're putting game plans and we have time for you to go fix your throwing motion in September. So yeah, we got a problem. And guys, as long as you're winning, they don't fix the negative.
Speaker 3: We're winning. I'll live with it.
Speaker 2: If Anthony Richardson was a sixty five percent completion guy even by tapping out his ass will be playing this week. So yeah, we have a development problem because we force him in quickly. But I'm okay with it, because guess what if the rookie, if the veterans making rookie playing like a rookie, play the rookie, and if he's not mentally tough to handle failure, he wasn't going to be worth the powder it takes to blow him to helen back anyway, and it all comes together and then you'll get the rare ones. The most of them are supposed to play like the list you just read. Most aren't supposed to play like C. J. Stroud and Jayden and Daniels in their first two years. Those are the outliers. Manning didn't, Elway didn't. They had flashes, They struggled. Aikman got his ass handed to him three Super Bowls later. Guy's pretty good. Yeah, coaching does matter. Development does matter. But you can develop on the field quicker too. But you have to have a mentality and a coaching staff.
Speaker 3: That gets it right. You just do.
Speaker 1: Let's continue this discussion on the quarterback development problem in the NFL seven one, three, two, one two five, seven ninety. Well, also get out to your calls next in Sports Talk seven ninety