Speaker 1: Thank you, mister Shannon. It is Kentuckut's Morning News with Nick Coffee six oh five here on a Tuesday morning scuff. It's Jared alongside also John Olden. And the scam texts that have been circulating, I feel like I get like two or three.
Speaker 2: Of those a day. Yeah, get them.
Speaker 1: Probably probably an exaggeration on my end, but it's certainly not a surprise to see them. And am I wrong for asking aloud who falls for that?
Speaker 2: Because people do, right, That's why they do them.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to pass judgment because you know, I'm sure these are great people, but there's certain levels to these scams that I because, to be honest with you, there are some that are so elaborate, so believable, that it could get a lot of people. When I say yet, I mean you could fall for it. But there's some that are just okay, if this was legit, this would not be the way in which they would be contacting me. And this is not even like a legitimate automated number. But if they send those out to a million piece people, all it takes is a few bites and they've probably been able to compromise your your debit cards, credit cards, get your information, steal your identity, whatever it is that you want to do. So I'm surprised, but maybe I shouldn't because there's a lot of people in the world and maybe some are naive or just they don't have any radar at all as far as just being aware that there's people out here trying to take advantage of you. Which that's why a lot of times when you see you when you see these these victims, because that's what they are, they're victims. A lot of them are older people that just back when they were there, they're at a point now in their life where this is still relatively new, meaning the tech technological side of it, to where they're just they're thinking, Okay, well, this is probably the way that they now communicate with me. If I have an unpaid bill, I better go ahead and get this taken care of. But the spoofing that you see with devices is what.
Speaker 2: Makes it really really scary.
Speaker 1: And what I mean by spoofing is there there's technology that that you can I call I mean, I can't do it, trust me, I don't know how to do it. I'm not out here spoofing and scamming people. But if I had, you know, the technology or just the the savviness to pull it off like these scammers, I could call John Alden from Scott and it would show that it was Scott Fitzgerald's cell phone number. Yeah, and that a lot. I mean when you most people wouldn't even have any any hesitation to assume that that wasn't really the right that that person calling, because they would just assume, well, it's showing me that you're calling, so that that's that's a That's something that I don't know how those who who manufacture iPhones, smartphones, whatever it may be, maybe it's cell service, they've got to implement something to where you can't do that, because that's a scary thing to be able to call somebody and it show that it's coming from a different number. I mean, that alone would make people just assume, well, surely this is true because they called me from this number.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the sad part is I don't even I can't tell you the last time I answered my cell phone. And that was the hardest thing that convinced Tony Cruize like he used to call and some degree, my wife she's she's a caller. My wife doesn't like to text, and I'm like, just text me, because you know, numbers get smoved. And you look at the emails now that come out, the templates that are there.
Speaker 2: The irs has been banging that drum forever.
Speaker 3: They're one of the ones that but those are becoming AI is changing everything now, I mean voices. Look at the number of people that got scammed think and their relatives were being held overseas and they made it manipulate their relatives.
Speaker 1: That's a different level of scumbag. Oh, because you know, you clearly go to that level because you realize that's something. Even if somebody thought for ninety nine percent chance that this was not real and it was fake, they they're not going to risk it. If it's something, you know, they would be less inclined to just you know, all the hell with that, that's not real because it's it's you imagine, imagine it being real, and you assumed it wasn't and something happened to one of your loved ones.
Speaker 3: So well, my wife was like, why am I getting so many calls from so many different places? I said, because your information has probably been sold Oh yeah to somebody, And you're crazy if you think that. That's like every time we used to do these stories on oh hackers have your information, there's a data breach. I just assume there's always a data breaching.
Speaker 1: It's going full circle because now at times you have if you're on this list, if you don't want to be on this list, right stop, that's just their way of establishing some level of communication with you to somehow see if they can get another response and maybe get your information. I mean, it's I can't tell you how many hard to keep up with?
Speaker 3: Well, how many emails I have blocked? How many people I have blocked? Out Look is great about letting me block people, because there's there's a lot of just garbage I get sent all day. But I've got numbers blocked.
Speaker 2: On my phone.
Speaker 3: I mean, just the minute somebody calls me, I know it's fake. I just block it so I never see it again. But it's a daily grind of having to do that.
Speaker 1: I'll share this story a little later on. We nearly well, I was gonna put my wife in the same it was me. It was me, not her, blame me. I nearly got got because there was a phone call that came in about our bank account being compromised. They had some information, but the number they call from was the number that was on the back of my debit card. So I just assumed, well, clearly it's the bank. We avoided it. And then it was just a real reminder that won got to be. You got to be head on a swivel. You gotta be you gotta have your guard up. But also it's impressive. If these people used, you know, their brains, their savviness to be productive, they'd be successful. But instead they want to be scammers, and I guess it works for them. So all right, we've got another updated trafficking weather coming your way. It's Kentucky. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee here on News Radio eight forty whas. Happy Tuesday, ladies and gentlemen. It is six sixteen here at Kentucky. His Morning News with Nick Coffee on NewsRadio eight forty whas Scott Fitzgerald alongside mister John Olden as well, And a big story here locally when it comes to sports that is really surprising with one lens looking at it and really not so surprising. Well maybe I'm lying, because it is really surprising. It's just it's somewhat unheard of to see a assistant coach and associate head coach, I should say at Kentucky leave to take a spot on the staff of the rival program. And that's what that is what has happened. It was reported yesterday, initially by Pete Dammel of ESPN, since been confirmed, although I'm sure at the University of Louisville it's not been made official official. When it is, they'll announce that, I'm sure with some type of press release. But Vince Marrow is leaving Mark Stoops. He's been his longtime right hand man, a guy who's been on the staff with him since he got to Kentucky and has elevated from just tight ends coach to recruiting coordinator to associate head coach. And I feel like he's not only somebody that is believed to be very responsible for the success that Kentucky's had under Mark Stoops. And I don't want to say it's all Vince Marrow, but certainly he's a big part of it. But he's kind of the hype man, if you will, and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, as if it's all hype and he's not actually coaching. But even if he's not somebody that's every day really just developing the tight end room and maybe he is, I'm not sure. But even if you're somebody that maybe your role is not so noticeable on the field, which, by the way, his role at Louisville as the GM, Essentially it'll be an off the field role for Marrow when he works for Jeff Brown. But what I'm getting at is, regardless if it's on field off the field, if you've got an important role that has a big that is a big factor in how you put a roster together, how you have success, you're really really valuable. And I don't think anybody would would question how valuable Vince Marrow has been believed to be for Mark Stoops. And after one of the worst seasons that Stoops has had at Kentucky, a time where the momentum feels as low as it ever has, he loses his right hand man, not just to another job, but to the rival. And another component to this that I did not mention earlier when we talked about it is that Vince Marrow has turned down other jobs along along the way. He's had opportunities to join Bill Belichick's staff in some capacity at North Carolina. There been there's been some talks that he got interviews to be a head coach. I don't believe he's ever turned down a job to be a head coach, but he has remained loyal. He does the same song and Dan seemingly every off season where he wants it out there that there's interest, and he loves the Oh the big dogs stay in and he gets a big big he gets a lot of praise from their fan base, and he certainly eats it up. And I mean, you could make the case and O Matt Jones said this yesterday on KSR that you could argue that that Vince Marrow was one of the most beloved assistant coaches ever at Kentucky in any sport. And there's really no way to truly measure that. But I don't think many would question that on the on the Kentucky side. So I think Mark Stoops has done a really good job in the grand scheme of things. I mean, I used to say this all the time on my sports show. If you would have told me that a Kentucky football coach would win ten games in a season once, I would have assumed that Nick Saban somehow ended up being their coach. He did it twice. Now, there were certain circumstances along the way that led to it, but who cares. I mean, I'm a Louisville fan. I do the rivalry thing. I'd love to to to jab at at at Mark Stoops and and take take joy and satisfaction in their struggles, because again, it's a rivalry and I'm a Louisville fan. I've never once, never, once tried to hide that. But I also I'm a realist. And overall, Mark Stoops want at a level at Kentucky had a level of sustainability that most people said would never happen. He also got people to believe in football enough to where he was out rounding up money, right. I mean, he's very close with the Craft family, and there's been resources put towards football in his tenure there that were not there before. And it's because he gave them somewhat of a somewhat of a return, and that is okay, we can We probably aren't Gonn. I'm sure he didn't say this, but I don't think anybody was truly believing they were gonna go win the SEC, but they could no longer be the doormat of that league along with Vandy. They could have sustained success, and they've done that, but at this point it does seem as if all that momentum has faded away, and right now there's not a whole lot to point to in this upcoming twenty twenty five season that would make you think that Kentucky's gonna be any better than they were a year ago. And again, last year they were by themselves alone in I believe, fifteenth place out of sixteen teams, So not a good situation.
Speaker 3: Do you think he'll he'll be able to recruit the AEC the way he did the SEC.
Speaker 1: I think what Mary's going to try to do is to just instead of bringing those kids from Michigan and Ohio, where he has those strong connections, I imagine he'll probably just try to bring those players to Louisville. And let's be real, those were really good recruits for Kentucky, they'd be really good recruits for anybody, so certainly they'll be really good recruits for Louisville. So I'm sure that's the plan here. Something else we can hit on when we get back into this conversation is there is a connection between Marrow and Brom that a lot of people probably don't know about. We can hit on that and more. We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way, as well as another update on sports with Scott. So keep it locked right here on Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is six thirty five here at Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Back to back days where we have similar stories that I feel like prior to the Russmith situation, which will give you an update on that in just a moment, as well as this story regarding the off duty l LMPD LMPD officer who was arrested for DUI and hardin County another exact I mean, I would imagine that most people shouldn't say most because I don't know that for certain. But the big reaction as far as Russ Smith's DUI is that, wait a second, what's going on here? He didn't blow above the legal limit? Why did he get a d UI? And it doesn't shock me that there's many that didn't realize that you can blow below the legal limit but still be arrested for DUI. It's it's the officer's discretion, they can make that call. And the same thing that happened to Russ Smith seemingly happened here to this officer who was off duty. Now, the officer did not take the breathalyzer test while being pulled over, but once he was taken to the Radcliffe Police Department, he then took a breathalyzer test where he blew zero point seven, which again is below the legal limits. So he was charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence in proper display registration plates and failure to notify address change to Department of Transportation. And since this, there's been an internal investigation with LMPD that was launched and he's been put on administrative leave. So this, I think is just random timing here to have these two stories, and again they're both stories, but I bet there's many that didn't realize that when it comes to just the breathalyzer test alone, if you are drinking and you're below that legal limit, and you have shown in the officer's view that during those field sobriety tests that you were not up to drive, then that's their call. They make that decision, and maybe I'm wrong here, I think you should always. I think you should always cooperate with law enforcement because I feel like, more often than not, it will only hurt you if you don't. You also have your rights to do certain things you don't have to. I mean, it can't force you to take the field sobriety tests. But I think these two stories wouldn't shock me if it does persuade people to say, yeah, I'm not going to do that and just leave it open for interpretation as far as my you know, I could, I could fail that and have never had a drink of alcohol in my life. But if I end up, you know, blowing on the breathalyzer and it's still below legal limit, but I have been drinking at that point, I'm just it's just the officer's decision, whatever they want to do. So I think a lot of folks probably have been educated to an extent in regards to this situation. Now, Rus Smith has released a statement on behalf of well his attorney has helped him with a statement, and his attorney is Steve Romins. I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Steve Romins. He's represented a lot of folks and some pretty big cases that have made that have made news, including Satti Schefler, which wasn't just a story here locally but also nationally. But this is what Russ said yesterday. I'd like to thank everyone for the support I've received, but I've been advised not to discuss this matter other than this statement from my attorney, Steve Romines quote. The evidence, witnesses and surveillance footage clearly showed that Rust did nothing wrong. He was sober and cooperated fully. He voluntarily submitted to two breathalyzer tests and a blood test. He also took and passed every field sobriety test he had, despite the fact that his BAC was below the legal limit, and he passed every test, he was nonetheless arrested. Indeed, indeed, why even have investigative tests when an officer is allowed to simply ignore them all. We look forward to litigating this matter in court, in a court of law where his innocence will be proven end quote. So not at all surprised to hear that kind of tone from Steve Romans, and I just if in fact, we do get access to surveillance footage, body cam footage, and it may be tough to really know. I mean, I'll admit hand up, I hope things work out well for russ Us.
Speaker 2: But I won't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess I'll have to find out whenever I guess if it does become available, but I won't be able to watch the body cam footage and be able to tell you for certain, Oh, this is all a sham. He was clearly fine. Like I'm willing to tell you, I'm not somebody that is trained to put somebody through these tests and make a determination do I think that they are impaired or not. But because of who this is, Russ Smith, one of the best basketball players that has ever played at the University of Louisville. If he appears to be not drunk, meaning he's not wobbling, and I'm not acting like this officer would be in the wrong, I just I can feel the reaction coming from those who want to say, here we go again. Can you believe this? They can't get out of their own way LMPD. And I'm not even saying that would be that would be a correct responsor that that would be accurate. I just I know how people will respond because of just the recent situations that have happened with LMPD and the weird random connections to the Scottie Scheffler situation where the officer who pulled Smith over and gave him the DUI was involved to the extent of taking Scottie Scheffler to jail and being the one who was reprimanded for leaking cell phone footage of the entire situation.
Speaker 3: Well, see, that's what I hate is that we don't ever get to hear the officer speak. And I'm looking forward to the opportunity when someone either the officer speaks or someone speaks for the officer, because attorneys can spout off shit I want. And again, this officer, I'm sure had some reason why.
Speaker 1: And again I'm not into I'm not saying at all that if that is the response by supporters of Russ Smith and people that want to pile on the LMPD, I'm not even saying they'd be correct. I just it that that I mean, not that I can predict the future, but I can totally see that happening because they're gonna want Rus Smith to be vindicated and they're gonna want to pile on LMPD for right or wrong. I just think there's gonna be some that choose to do that really, regardless of how this plays out. Yep, all right, we got another update of trafficking weather coming your way. It's Kentucky. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. It's six forty six here, Kentucky. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee, News Radio eight forty whas. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. Scott Fitzgerald alongside. We'll have another update on sports coming up in about nine minutes. You've got John Olden alongside as well. Today and father Father's Day will be here this weekend. And I celebrate Father's Day two time, two time father, meaning I've got two children and I am very lucky to still be close with my father. So I'm looking forward to Father's Day. But I do feel like it has it has snuck up on us. So I wouldn't be shocked if I just said that. And there's people right now that think, oh, this guy may be. Oh, he's right. It is Father's Day. So so you're welcome. So now you don't have to procrastinate. You can make plans for your dad and hopefully have yourself as a good Father's Day it Scott your dad as well, and John, first Father's Day for you, my man. Yes, congratulate, Welcome, Welcome to the team. I think this is going to be my first time using this in the studio. I think it's an appropriate first time usage of this bell for John Alden celebrating his first Father's Day.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, I'm gonna use it only for I'm gonna make sure when this is used here on Kentucky and This Morning News, We're not just gonna do the bell for anything. We're gonna do it for special reasons. In I think John celebrating his first Father's Day is a is a special reason.
Speaker 3: Did you did you see, by the way, the National Retail Federation said we're gonna spend twenty four billion dollars on Dad this year.
Speaker 1: I like to hear that. I mean, and it's all going to John because he's in fact, John, do you just want sleep for Father's Day?
Speaker 2: Is that? My gosh?
Speaker 1: Is that what you want to sleep? The newborn baby phase is still in full effect, and sleep is I'm sure you're getting sleep when you can, But am I wrong to assume that the real challenge is just the unknown of when and how long you're going Like, there's really no, there's nothing, it's not it's not consistent, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And what is consistent is that I probably and I hope this hasn't come across as complaining. Maybe it will, but before I come here every morning, i'd say I get no more than four and a half five hours every night. Five hours is a good night sleep from me right now, And you're not complaining.
Speaker 1: There's many listening right now that know exactly what you and your lovely wife are going through when it comes to just what a blessing it is to be parents and have a newborn baby girl. But these early you just don't know what you're going to get as far as sleep, and it's you know, it sounds insane, but you will, you will in fact miss it. So here I am. I've thought about you a lot lately because not only because I love you, but also because I am trying to get adjusted myself right with this new schedule this new routine, and I have found what I believe is a pretty good routine for me as far as the amount of sleep that I can get at night and still live somewhat of a not I'm not going to be a night alby any means, but I'm not. I don't want to go to bed at eight o'clock, which would be pretty extreme. So I've found a good balance. And I've also found a little bit of time during the day where I can squeeze in some rest, a quick nap. And here I am thinking about my challenges. Imagine if I was doing this adjusting all while also taking care of a brand new baby. So you're you're not complaining, You're just you know, you're living. You're living it, and it's again, it is a blessing, but it's also I'm sure at times exhausting, both physically and mentally, and you're you're running on fumes at times. But Father's Day, let's I hope you can just get some rest, my man, you deserve it.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, let me ask you boys, being totally honest here, and if you could have anything you wanted for Father's Day.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's the obvious. I want to spend time with my family, I want rest, et cetera.
Speaker 3: But let's just say the good fairy came down and wished you and said your family can give.
Speaker 2: You whatever you want. What would what would either of you guys want?
Speaker 1: And this has to be like a material things.
Speaker 3: It can be material, can be experienced, but it just has to be something other than the standard. I just want to spend time with my family, and I just you know, I want to get sleep.
Speaker 1: You want me to go first, John, Yeah, go, because I mean I wish I could give you some unexpected answer, but I mean mine is pretty routine. I want to well, I'll be selfish to an extent, meaning I do want to have a fun day with my kids, and we'll do that. We go to Churchill Downs every Father's Day and it's always a lot of fun. I love being at Churchill Downs. My kids enjoy it as well. We usually get a nice a nice lunch or maybe a brunch somewhere. We'll either get lunch after or maybe do some brunch before. And then I would like to sit in my recliner. That's what That's what I would like. I would like to sit in my recliner. Might you know, might give Moosa heads up on the drive back from Churchill. Hey, wouldn't be a bad idea. If you want to go get a couple of bush lights out of the fridge for your old man, I'll be sitting in the recliner and he'll be eager and excited to do it. So I want to have time with my family and enjoy Father's Day and really just soak in is what is every what's great about being a dad, but also just you know, some relaxing time. I'm not to the point, and maybe I'll get there. It's a point, but I'm not to the point when it comes to just the all right, all I want is you got to just leave me alone, give me my day. I get why people say that at times, but I'm not there yet because my kids are still so young.
Speaker 4: What about you, John, I think it's got to be sleep. I've only been I've only been a dad for so days. You will be two months old tomorrow, and obviously sleep is just kind of the default answer. So just just to give me something a little unique, I'll give you an answer that is not possible in any way, shape or form. I just wish Father's Day was on a Big ten football Saturday and I was walking.
Speaker 3: That's what I was looking for you. That's that's it, John, Great dude. I want a good barbecue and a good beer. That's I want to sit down and I can have whoever I want around me. I live from barbecues, kind of my kryptonite barbecue and pizza.
Speaker 2: Give me a good beer and a good barbecue.
Speaker 1: With the craft beer, are you more of like just knowing a specific one, or do you want like I feel like you'll try any beer. I'll try any.
Speaker 2: To a degree. I'm not a longer guy, and I play bigfoots.
Speaker 1: All earwax blondie. I mean, since your ass down is a straight og, that's a good beer.
Speaker 2: Actually do like that brew.
Speaker 1: So I'm not just a bush light bum. I can get sophisticated and go craft beer with you occasionally.
Speaker 3: Don't mind Catalina Breeze from the good folks over at Mile White.
Speaker 2: That's a West Coast I p a. I can do that all day, long time.
Speaker 1: Now he's talking brew.
Speaker 2: All right now, buddy, all right, We've.
Speaker 1: Got another update of trafficking weather. It coming your way. Also, some more sports with Scott right Here on news radio eight forty w h A s