Speaker 1: I was a Communist for the FBI, starring Dana Andrews and an exciting tale of danger and espionage.
Speaker 2: I was a Communist for the FBI. You're about to hear a strange story. Names, dates, and places are, for obvious reasons, fictional, but many of these incidents are based on the actual experiences of Matt Savetic two. For nine fantastic years lived as a communist for the FBI. Here is our star, Dana Andrews at Matt Savetic.
Speaker 1: Comrade. It's a word that should stand for something good, but I learned to hate it as the symbol of the most vicious hypocrisy in the world. One thing I knew for sure, being a comrade was one of the most dangerous occupations in the world for a man who believed in freedom.
Speaker 2: In a moment, listen to Dana Andrews as Matt Savedic under coverman. Now Here is Dana Andrews as Matt Sabbatic under coverman. This story from the Confidential File is marked the Canadian backbone.
Speaker 3: Comrade, that's fay m what Samari? Look up? Uh? Oh common Drake? What time is it? Little after midnight? Get dressed? Do you have to deliver this package to a comrade in Calgary.
Speaker 1: Calgary, in Canada. Your train leads in twenty minutes. That package must be very important.
Speaker 3: It is if you fail.
Speaker 4: If anything happens to the package, well it's nothing to what will happen to you.
Speaker 1: With that thought to comfort me, I was escorted by Comrade Drake to the station. In a few hours, I was crossing Victoria Jubilee Bridge into Montreal, and by morning I was having breakfast aboard the Canadian Pacific Stremeliner heading west.
Speaker 5: You need to see, but may I join you?
Speaker 1: She was young, square jawed, wearing glasses and a smile like a garfish.
Speaker 3: For no apparent reason.
Speaker 1: The chill of fear my spine as she sat down at my table.
Speaker 5: Let me see. I ask for the menu.
Speaker 6: Of course here, thank you.
Speaker 3: I can recommend the sausage.
Speaker 6: It's deliciousness, Susan, do you I would be just Susan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm Matt, save.
Speaker 5: Susan, And oh yes, I like that. We wouldn't make good neighbors, you and I.
Speaker 7: I have the compartment next to yours. We are neighbors all the way to Calgary.
Speaker 1: What makes you think I'm going to Calgary.
Speaker 7: Well, I must have helped you tell report and I yes.
Speaker 5: Of course that was it.
Speaker 1: Mystery's ruined my appetite, mister. Yeah, you see, Suzanne, I didn't tell the porter my destination. I didn't tell anyone.
Speaker 3: Who is it? Conductor?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on in, and I got my ticket.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 8: Don't you recognize the man of nine Angels.
Speaker 1: Mister Ferguson, secret service. Nice to see you again, lad, same here.
Speaker 9: You better let me see that package.
Speaker 1: You know everything, don't you. It's my business man. It's tough business. This time with a strong box I steal and I don't have the key.
Speaker 8: I suspected as much. That's why I brought these tools of.
Speaker 3: Mine, picklocks.
Speaker 1: You did come prepared. It's going to someone in Calgary who I don't know yet. He'll identify himself to me. Ah money, Hey, look at the size of those bills.
Speaker 9: What a sight for an honest Scott to see.
Speaker 1: Must be nearly half a million dollars. Mister Ferguson, what's this all about?
Speaker 9: A trouble?
Speaker 1: Lots and lots of trouble in Calgary.
Speaker 3: That's the center of it.
Speaker 8: There's been too many breakdowns and troubles of all kinds. Recently on the railroads and airlines, there too many.
Speaker 1: To be accidents coming sabotaged.
Speaker 3: Ay, that's my thinking.
Speaker 8: And if I'm right, this money is intended to help the Reds and ludge their operations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while stopping this money, will.
Speaker 3: I'm not stopping it? Huh.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they only get more money. The Reds have other sources.
Speaker 3: You know that, I'm sure.
Speaker 8: But if you start the whole Commie ring, Matt, particularly the leader, I need.
Speaker 3: Names and proof.
Speaker 1: That's a big order.
Speaker 8: The communist in charge will have to keep records to account for so much money.
Speaker 9: All you'll have to do is to locate those books.
Speaker 3: Me. You can do it, Matt.
Speaker 1: If I was working with them, yes, But I'm not part of the Calgary cell, I'm only a courier. When I hand over the money, they'll expect me to go home.
Speaker 9: Then I guess you should go home.
Speaker 1: Try and understand, mister Ferguson. If I hang around asking questions, they'll crucify.
Speaker 8: All right, laddie, Why if anything happened to you, it would be on my conscience forever?
Speaker 1: What conscience?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 9: If you insist upon risking your lip, I cannot.
Speaker 3: Stop you try.
Speaker 1: It would do no good.
Speaker 3: You're a stubborn fool mat sabetic.
Speaker 1: Staying in Calgary was going to be about as healthy is skipping rope with a rattlesnake, unless I came up with a very good reason. But two days later, as the train sliced threw the great wheat fields of Saskatchewan and the endless cattle ranches of Alberta, I still didn't have an answer. Then finally we pulled into Calgary, a sprawling, oversized cowtown with a bow and elbow rivers. She can't journeys in for me and half a million communist dollars, please, Chory, But if you'll excuse me, I was expecting someone to meet.
Speaker 3: Me, and of course this is to meet me. I am Jacques Pier.
Speaker 1: You're also psychic. It seems must be a Poitier family trait. First she knows my destination and now you know my name? What kind of a crystal ball you too?
Speaker 6: Use? I can extreme day, I don't forget it.
Speaker 1: I have to meet something.
Speaker 3: Maybe mister may we welcome to calcul Cobrad.
Speaker 5: I think he is surprised.
Speaker 1: Papa, he is indeed, Oh here's the package, camera Partier it must have great value for you to send your daughter to help me guard it.
Speaker 4: Wee, but his value does not concern you. I hope you found Suzanne an agreeable traveling companion.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, indeed the loveliest bodyguard I ever had.
Speaker 3: She is a very efficient worker for the party too.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure she is. Why I wish I could remain for a visit Susanne, that I know you're a comrade, I'm sure i'd enjoy a.
Speaker 4: Last whyne oh Papa call.
Speaker 3: Can you delete your return? Well?
Speaker 1: Yes, then to set.
Speaker 3: Her you will stay at a house and be an honored kids.
Speaker 1: Thank you, comrade. That means a great deal to me, perhaps to all of us.
Speaker 3: You understand Susanne is without the houseband yet who knows, my son, you may be the luck you on.
Speaker 1: The Poitier house turned out to be a large break affair near the Provincial Institute of Technology and Arts, and came equipped with a strange albino butler, a board low enough to break his back, but whose pink eyes forgot to smile when I did.
Speaker 4: Oh Tom turn pre take Messius Sthetic's luggage to the guest room.
Speaker 3: Is visiting us for a.
Speaker 10: Few days, of course, mister Poitier, Shall I unpack your bags and hang things.
Speaker 1: Up for yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I can do it.
Speaker 10: No, it's no trouble at all, sir, mister Poitier. Yes, your associates are waiting for you and missus Anne in the library.
Speaker 4: Oh, missus sthetic. Perhaps you'd better left thought and show you to your room now.
Speaker 1: Oh certainly I'd like to freshen up a bed this.
Speaker 3: Way, he s.
Speaker 1: To Poitiers, associous, Perhaps I know them? Do you know their names?
Speaker 3: Don't?
Speaker 11: I doubt you know them?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 11: Shall I run about first?
Speaker 1: So it's me?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do you think anyone would mind if I ran down and borrowed a book from the library to read what I soaked?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't do that, sir.
Speaker 1: No, sir.
Speaker 10: Mister Potier has a fearsome temper when anyone interrupts his conferences.
Speaker 11: Excuse me, I'll draw you about, sir.
Speaker 1: Well, what a nice friendly place?
Speaker 5: Give you good advicement?
Speaker 3: No did he come?
Speaker 1: And why what goes on downstairs?
Speaker 6: That? I am sorry?
Speaker 5: But Papa and I we have stick to orders. Do not even discuss the work we are doing.
Speaker 3: Ordered? I don't your father was in Charna.
Speaker 5: No, he is only the livers on men for our leader. But I am saying too much and you ask too many question. I would not like having to report you as.
Speaker 7: Being overly curious about it, but if it became necessary.
Speaker 1: I would keep that in mind.
Speaker 7: You do that the result of any such report would bring down on you the most severe disciplinary reaction.
Speaker 1: You will understand what that means, well, I sure do. Good.
Speaker 7: Then let's talk about things more pleasant. Eh, what would you like for dinner?
Speaker 5: I am a very good cook, and.
Speaker 1: That's about it, mister Ferguson. Not much to show for three days. But they're making a point out. I'm not letting me see or hear a thing either. Cagy ones, no argument about that. Every time I step out of my room, I seem to have one of the plotiers or that pink eyed butler Thornton for company. Even getting away for an hour tonight was like breaking out of jail.
Speaker 9: And every day the sabotage bruise worse.
Speaker 1: You know, I've read the papers. It's causing a real bottleneck.
Speaker 9: We'll have to move in soon.
Speaker 1: You can't, not until we know who the Kami leader is and where he keeps his records with no proof, for rest will be futile.
Speaker 9: Don't you think I know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matt, do you have a chance I'll make one, mister Ferguson somehow, all.
Speaker 9: Right, lad be careful that I wouldn't want anything.
Speaker 1: To that is I sure I know?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Good night, Miss Ferguson. There was no more time for caution. The next night, after pretending to go to sleep, I slipped down to listen at the library door during one of Comerad Poitier's mysterious conferences. It was a poor gamble, for all I heard was a mumble of voices. I was on the verge of trying to look through the keyhole when I saw Suzanne coming on the hall toward me. There was no way to avoid discovery.
Speaker 3: I was trapped. Now back to.
Speaker 2: Dana Andrews starring as Matt Savedic and I was a communist for the FBI and the second act of our story.
Speaker 1: I was trying to help Canadian counter espion Eyes break up a big commye sabotage ring operating out of Calgary. But as I eaves dropped on Comrade Fattier's secret meeting, I found myself caught by the approach of lad not so lovely Suzanne. What else can I do? I knocked, Matt?
Speaker 5: What are you doing now?
Speaker 1: Yes, static, Hi, Susanne.
Speaker 5: I do not know. I saw, I'm just taking How.
Speaker 1: Can I say, Comrade Poitier, you pay very little heed to warning, and for a butler, you don't pay much attention to a guest's request. I asked to see.
Speaker 11: Yes, perhaps you'd better come in.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Oh excuse me, Comrade Poitier. I didn't realize you were busy.
Speaker 13: The meeting is adjourn comrades, good night.
Speaker 1: Oh look, you didn't have to break up.
Speaker 9: Oh, Comrade Matt, why.
Speaker 3: Did you do this foolish thing? Huh?
Speaker 1: Well, I I guess I thought it was time to talk to you alone about some things alone.
Speaker 3: Who shall get to see Susann?
Speaker 5: You here?
Speaker 13: Yes, Papa, I heard too, Jack, but I'm afraid I'll need some explanation.
Speaker 3: But it is obvious and ASPI. He came to speak to me about Susanne named the spy.
Speaker 7: Oh he knocked the door, that the activity.
Speaker 4: If he was a spy, would he have been trusted to bring us the money to continue our work?
Speaker 3: Give him a cham.
Speaker 13: Yes, yes, we will without find all right, all right, but if he causes us any trouble, you'll both answer for it along with him.
Speaker 1: Oh no, look, stop doing it favors. I'm a party member too, remember.
Speaker 11: Yes, but you haven't been cleared for this kind of work, comrade.
Speaker 1: Cleared that thags you as MVD.
Speaker 11: That's true.
Speaker 13: I'm an agent of the secret police, but I'm more than that. I'm in charge of this operation.
Speaker 1: All right, Harris, drive slow through the park. Yes, well, Thornton, what is Butler the horse?
Speaker 3: Uh huh?
Speaker 1: But I haven't any ideas where he keeps his records yet, Matt.
Speaker 9: I think Thornton's books may be right in the Pottier house.
Speaker 1: You'd have to have them close at hand, That figures, But you'll have to be sure if you.
Speaker 9: Can win Thornton over work with him. Preparing for the big piece of sabotage.
Speaker 1: That's a dream.
Speaker 3: He won't let me even.
Speaker 9: Tell him, you know, the secret shipment of copper. A big double train will coming through Calgary.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, No dice, you'd have ways to check out.
Speaker 3: Let him the train is coming.
Speaker 1: Oh and it might work, but it's risky if Thornton doesn't let me work on it. We won't be able to stop him from sabotaging train.
Speaker 3: It's worth the risk. Okay, how do I get work to you?
Speaker 9: We'll have the house surrounded like a blanket.
Speaker 8: If you can get outside, we'll contact you, and if not, then get a signal to us.
Speaker 1: We'll be ready to move in and I'll be ready to move out. You better drop me now. I'll have to meets then where drug store on Niples Street. I promised to treat.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Comrade met I love our working together, don't you.
Speaker 6: You bet we have so much in common, you and I You you haven't spoken to my father yet.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that is because of the way things worked out. I decided it would be best to move myself first.
Speaker 9: Oh you don't dat I must.
Speaker 1: Or Comrade Thornton will believe we're putting sentiment ahead of our work.
Speaker 9: Oh buddy, I'll worry.
Speaker 1: Comrade Susanne. I discovered something tonight that I think will do the trick. I'll show him I can be just as valuable to the party as anyone else.
Speaker 3: But of course you can.
Speaker 1: I'll do it tonight.
Speaker 10: If he's still up, Oh, come right in. I hope your work went well this evening.
Speaker 5: Fine, comrade, who better than that?
Speaker 1: Tell him sure? I picked up some important information from the Chief Dispatcher's office.
Speaker 11: One of the clerks, what kind of information?
Speaker 1: A big trainload of copper secret shipment due to pass you hear tomorrow? Oh, what kind of reaction is.
Speaker 11: That you're lying? Stik.
Speaker 13: I have my own sources of information, and I checked them only this afternoon. But there is no copper train schedule tomorrow, And.
Speaker 1: I say there is, check again.
Speaker 11: Don't worry, I will, or maybe you'd better worry.
Speaker 1: I took the common Chief's advice. I worried if Ferguson had made a mistake about the copper shipment. I was due for a long rest from breathing. Thornton plainly suspected that I was a spy, and my story just a trick to get his group to betray itself. I had no illusions as to what would happen if he became sure of it.
Speaker 5: You don't want to downstairs.
Speaker 3: What happened did Thornton find me? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Come on, Suzanne, you know I.
Speaker 6: Want to believe you, but I have to be sure that you are not what Comrade Thornton's stake.
Speaker 1: Well, I do won't take long. Na in the cellar way, what's the idea.
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: More course, what's in this room? The bodies.
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 11: Come in, comrade, So then you'll go back upstairs coming in mm hm oh yeah, this is my private room where how can I plan our work?
Speaker 3: We our most important work.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, I get the idea. I've just been taken out of the doghouse.
Speaker 3: It's right.
Speaker 11: It seems I made a mistake about your comrade seating.
Speaker 1: Oh well, don't bother to apologize.
Speaker 11: I wasn't going to.
Speaker 13: I acted as I felt proper on the information I had. Only as it turned out my information was wrong.
Speaker 1: The train is coming through here tomorrow.
Speaker 13: Then, just as you said it would, you proved yourself both alert and loyal to the party. Comrade, we can use these things.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I've also got an idea how this job can be done more effectively. Your work has always been in or close to the railroad yards.
Speaker 3: But where else where would you pick?
Speaker 11: Comrade?
Speaker 1: Kicking horse passed where the railroad enters the Rockies. It's forty miles from here.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: If we arranged a real accident to happen in that.
Speaker 13: Past, ah, it would be many feet you're right, Job, it would take weeks to retrieve that coppa and repair the line.
Speaker 1: You don't have much time to set this up, and if you don't mind, I'd like to work with you on it.
Speaker 11: Well, why not, Job, get my records out of the safe. We'll see whom we have to do this job.
Speaker 1: I watched this, Comradequoitier opened a hidden floor safe and brought out a familiar strong box along with the records. It was time to signal Ferguson now, But that didn't look so easy from a small cellar room with no windows. Then I noticed the potbellied stove.
Speaker 11: Their tension, Comrade, but yeah, it's cold in here. Some wood in the stove.
Speaker 1: Then, along with the wood, I added my handkerchief, and when the fire was smoking good, I reached for the damper up on the stove pipe. I opened it for three quick short intervals, followed by a long one. Somewhere above the house. I knew the smoke was rising in puffs that spelled out the Morse code letter V, the for for victory. I could only pray that Ferguson saw.
Speaker 3: It and understood, Comrade Steak, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's this damper.
Speaker 3: It seems to be stuck headed open.
Speaker 11: Now leave it that way, all right? That should complete the plan, Jacques, you said, and laye the kicking horse.
Speaker 5: Pass just came for you from the United States for me.
Speaker 1: Let's see it. Oh no, what's the matter and take a look. They want me back home immediately.
Speaker 11: They're upset with your comrade for staying so long.
Speaker 1: So what, I don't care. I can't leave now, just when we come.
Speaker 13: Since when do our personal desires come to more obedience to the party.
Speaker 1: Well they don't, But I can't leave.
Speaker 11: If you're needed in America, you must go at once.
Speaker 3: But no, not right now, but you must what.
Speaker 5: Comes first.
Speaker 6: Our own feelings cannot interfere.
Speaker 5: With with our duty.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I can't see that.
Speaker 14: I have to go, says immediately. That means now, well, I guess you're right, and I'll leave right away. The sooner the better, yes, comrade, as you say.
Speaker 3: The sooner the better.
Speaker 1: I set a world's record packing my bags and left for an awkward farewell and kiss from both the poitiers who wished me the kami version of godspeed, which means just leave out the word God. Two blocks away I found Ferguson waiting to signal the raid to begin.
Speaker 9: Folks, signals you must think you're an American Indian.
Speaker 1: I did the trick. You'll find Thornton's records and the money in a floor safe and a room in the cellar.
Speaker 3: Cold.
Speaker 8: Good work, mat We are ready to move in, stubborn, fool that you'll be. Sometimes it's the pleasure to have you around, saying to you, sir, and thanks for the telegram.
Speaker 9: Well, now, I couldn't take a chance on you're being hurt or maybe killed in one of our own raids.
Speaker 3: Could I would look terrible on my records.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you saved me from a fate worse than that, mister Ferguson.
Speaker 3: Worse.
Speaker 1: Lad when you raid the house, take a good look at Suzanne Poitier. I think you'll see what I mean, Advisor. Once again, a job was finished, and yet the fight was never ended. For the Fergusons and myself. In Canada, as in every country dedicated to the principles of freedom, men like us would always be joining hands in silent war against the forces of communism. But even as we fought together, I remained a man who must continue to walk alone.
Speaker 12: Ana Andrews will return in just a moment. This is Dana Andrews.
Speaker 1: All over the world, people like you and I and the folks next door are faced with the insidious threat of communism. We can meet that threat only by being alert, by never closing our eyes to the fact that it is a threat. Join us next week when we bring you another thrilling experience of Matt Sivedic. Won't you