Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with Skip Richard Shoes crazy band in the bassis gas Baby, can't you trim?
Speaker 2: You just watch him as.
Speaker 1: Work basis gas?
Speaker 3: Can you?
Speaker 1: There are so many breathings to sleep baas in the bay the bassies like gass baby?
Speaker 3: Can you did amos closed?
Speaker 4: Back to.
Speaker 3: Sign the bassis a gas and.
Speaker 5: Sun beamon of a dream psing the gases like gas baby?
Speaker 6: Can you.
Speaker 3: First starting and dreaming gases?
Speaker 7: I guess you did?
Speaker 3: I mean, alrighty, good morning, good morning, Welcome to garden Line. Glad you got up early enough this morning to do this with us. Hopefully a cup of coffee in your hand or got at least one eye open. That's what we try to that's what we aim for, at least when eye opened, and I'll try to be coherent and then we'll have a gardening show about that. Let's do it that way. You are listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. That's the important part. Don't forget it's supposed to be fun. Gardening is fun. It's supposed to be fun. And when we get out there and follow a few simple principles, the plants just they just step right into line when you give them what they want. If you are wondering, like what's the top of the list items to get done this week? Or what do I need to do out in the landscape, well, first of all, you know the answer to that, because it's your place. But I would just suggest that our lawns are waking up, and this will be a really good time to make sure that your lawn has all the things that it needs. You need to do a first mowing that down a little bit lower than normal. I don't like to use the word scalping because that sounds like you're cutting it almost to the ground, and that you don't want to do that, but you want to cut it back, get some of the old stuff out of there if you haven't already done that. If you've got weeds and you haven't mode yet, those weeds are cool season weeds and they have seeds. And when you do the first mowing, go ahead and bag the clippings and get them out of there because they are full of weed seeds and you're not gonna get all the weed seeds out, but you get a bunch of them. If you don't do that, all those weed seeds will be back and next fall they'll sprout. So you're right back in the same place actually, but worse next year. Now, speaking of weed seeds, if you have not put down something to prevent summer weeds, and you've got some thin lawn areas where sunlight can get through and hit the soil, well it's time to make sure and get that done. Some of our summer weeds have already been sprouting. And barricade is a product knight Foss puts out. It comes in a ten pound bag, covers about five thousand square feet and when you put it down and then watered in, and by the way, with a pre emergent, you always have to watered in because that gets the product into the soil surface. And barricade sticks to the soil better than most pre emergents I know, and it adheres up there near the surface. So when a weed seed tries to come through and sprout, it shuts it down. It forms a barricade. If you will, you're going to find barricade and other night Foss products in a lot of places. You go down on Bissonet or West Teimer. There's bearing hardware on Bissonet one on West Teimer as well. You can head out to the Richmond Rosenberg area to enchanted forest and run into a good opportunity to get some night foss products there. Also. If one thing about the pre emergency needed to realize though, is they last a certain period of time, and so you forty five days, typically sixty days kind of depends on the weather, how much you put out and everything like that, and you don't want to overdo them when you put them out, But at some point they break down and then weeds can begin germinating again. And so just keep in mind that it doesn't mean you won't see another weed until fall. So some people will repeat that application when they're in a situation where weeds we say weed pressure is high, meaning there's just a lot of weeds germinating and you're having to work at it to keep them in line. Well, I told you guys yesterday that I wasn't going out to Warren Southern Gardens. I was originally scheduled to go out yesterday afternoon. We have moved that to April. The nineteenth April nineteenth, that's the day before Easter, and I'll be out at Warren Southern Gardens. And you know, those of you in Kingwood, you know you've got two great garden centers. You've got Warren Southern Gardens which is on North Park, and you got Kingwood Garden Center there on Stone Hollow. And looking at the stock that they brought in and some recent examples of some of the plants and product that place. Both places they're just loaded up. Kingwood Garden Center's got a wonderful little gift shop for a lot of cool stuff that even non gardeners on your list would be very interested in. When you go in, you're going to find at these places Microlife fertilizers, nitrophoss fertilizers, Nelson turf Star, you're going to find soils from heirloom soils. You're going to find Nelson plant food, and the jars too. And by the way, they are refilled stations for that you can take your empty clear screwtop lid jars that you purchase those fertilizers and and take them back in and refill them there for a very economical rate. They got the mosquito dunks and stock now too, and here we are. It's definitely mosquito season. I saw a little I have a water fountain that had been sitting stagnant for a while, I know, I know better than that, and had a little mosquito wrigulars forming in it. And so that's where you put the mosquito dunks because they float and they prevent mosquitos for about a month.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: You can break a dunk up into little chips and pieces for small areas like my little water fountain area, because the dunk will cover you like one hundred square feet, or you can just get the granules and do it that way. But anyway, either way you go about it, you're going to get those things at Warren Southern Gardens, I know in Kingwood Garden Center to help you stay out of trouble when mosquito season comes along. Check out their roses when you're out there. Check out their villias when you're out there. The annual color is outstanding, nice selections of seeds. They are both open seven days a week. Both Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center are open seven days a week, so that's nice. Pretty much anytime you want to go. You have got a place to go out there. I think it's yesterday. I was talking about Ciena Mulch as being like the one stop shop for everything brown stuff, and on garden Line, I talk about brown stuff all the time, brown stuff before green stuff. I don't know it makes sense to me to put it that way. If you don't know, well what does that mean? Well, green stuff is plants. That's the fun stuff you go and you buy and you put in the ground. It's vegetables, it's it's fruit, trees, it's flowers, it's your lawn. Brown stuff is the soil and everything in it that essentially is a foundation for success with the green stuff. Cina Moltch is the place you go to have success with the green stuff because they have the composts, they have the bed mixes. Then they have the mulches that go on top of the ground to fight weeds and moderate soil temperature and protect the soil, and they have the nutrients that go in the ground. So, for example, you go there, you're gonna get composts, you're gonna get bed mixes and all kinds of things like that, but you're also going to get the main fertilizer products I talk about all the time here on garden Line. Sienna Mulch dot com. That's the website. Go check them out. I'm going to take a break and I'll come right back.
Speaker 9: Down.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, folks, we're back. Welcome back to garden Line. Look forward to visiting with you about the questions you have. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t R H. And I'm going to run right out to Port Arthur, Texas. We're going to talk to Alan.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Alan, good morning, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Skip. Hey, I got a question. I do follow the fertilization schedule. But one year ago my house is just it was even there was a cow pasture. So back in February, when I'm sure I had to start to skip, I did the pre emergent, I did the fifteen five ten night your polls. Now recently I went in and put out my nineteen fourteen league. Still got your weeds? Is there something that can do now or just wait for the next application of my barricade instead, Well.
Speaker 3: The barricade will prevent weeds, but not kill existing ones. So tell me how long ago that lawn was put down.
Speaker 10: I believe in im about the house late in August, so probably in August or July.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so it's it's established, all right, gotcha. So the weeds that you see now, go ahead.
Speaker 10: No, I'm sorry, No, I didn't mean, well, you're fi go ahead please.
Speaker 3: Okay. The weeds that you see now are cool season weeds and they're gonna die anyway. Now. You may be seeing some perennial weeds, weeds that you know just last from year to year, but primarily you're looking at cool season. And if you can do a fairly low mowing and bag all the clippings to get all the weed seeds out that you can, that would be good. And just know that the clovers and the chick weeds and the hembits and the bluegrass and your bluegrass and all that that's going to all die out when the as the weather heats up. So what you're concerned about is the new weeds coming on and that's where the barricade would stop that. And so what did you I'm sorry, in your description, did you say that you had or had not used barricade already this year?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 12: I did back in February.
Speaker 3: February. Okay, good, well you're good. Then don't don't put any more down because you overdo it and you're your damage your grass. So February at March, April probably actually February, probably later this month you could do let's see, yeah, later this month, go, you could do another application. But I don't just use it all the time just because I have a lawn. So if your lawn is down, or if you're struggling with weed problems, then that's when you need. It's going to help the most because it gives your lawn a chance to fill in.
Speaker 10: All right, Yeah, I need to follow this.
Speaker 12: I follow the schedule. I just I know it's coming up for another one, but I don't like it.
Speaker 10: Grasses already, grasses dice and green already, But so are the weeds.
Speaker 3: So okay, yeah, yeah, well you know this won't this won't comfort you, Ellen, But I have a friend in Mississippi and he says the way to get rid of all your weeds is to is to mow your lawn and take off your glasses. And you can't see him a right, Okay, well, all right, you very much, thanks for the call. Yeah, I know some people you know what we range in weed tolerance.
Speaker 13: We do.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're that way about everything life if you think about it. But I'm not going to go there now. But there are some people that they have to have the perfect lawn, everything, everything, it's just perfect. It looks like AstroTurf out there. And if there's one weed is like a neon sign flashing on and off, and it drives the nuts and it's got to die, you know. And then there's other people on the other end of the spectrum that as long as the ground is covered with green, they're happy, and the weeds, some of them flour you know, like chick weed is very attractive to honeybees, and so are dandelions, and you know, the pollinators and things like that. I mean, I don't know where you are on that spectrum, probably somewhere in between the two extremes. But wherever you are, it's your yard. Do what you want. Most people are wanting to have a nice, pretty yard, and so we kind of focus on that way. But listen, I deal with a lot of different kinds of folks and I'm not here to tell you how to live. I'm just here to tell you if you want this or that out of a plant to have it. And if this planned is the lawn and you want it to look good, first thing is to make that lawn dense. I just finished a publication I'm about to put on the website called lawn Care one oh one. And that's the bottom line. The bottom line is not to just spend your year spraying products or spreading products to kill anything that might show up disease, insects, weeds, and so on. It's to have a good, healthy lawn. And the number one way is to have a strong lawn that's been properly mode watered and fertilized. And it's hard for folks to believe it, but mow water fertilized, that's a secret to a successful lawn. And we have other things, Yes, there's such a thing as brown patch and takeoff patch and chinchbugs and sid web worms and grubs and I don't know, weeds, annual perennial weeds. Yeah, they're there. But first is mowater fertilized. First is a dense, healthy lawn and that takes care of most of the problems. Then when you got some weeds that show up, and they will, there are there are weeds that can grow in a dense, healthy lown. You deal with those. But that's that's more the exception. That's not the way of life.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 3: The way of life is not every Saturday you are spray in or or spreading something to kill something. That you can do that, but that comes at an environmental cost and certainly as a cost of money and time, and so we aim for a good healthy lown. All right, there you go, speaking of a good healthy lown. The folks at Nelson Plant Food have a product called Bruce's Brew and it is an outstanding product. About about every six months you can put it down because although it's a it's a fast release, it doesn't release everything fast and so over time you're going to get a spread out release of the nitrogen in there to help with evening the growth rate out. Now the products in Bruce's Brew will help also in your root develop and by keeping the avoiding the peaks of nitrogen, you know, the flushes of nitrogen, you get a good root system. I wish I could. I know this is radio but I'm holding my hands up in the air trying to show you something. But I saw one time a research thing where they had three crocks of water and a little lid on them with grass planted through the lid so you could pick the lid up and see the roots. And on the left hand side just had a picture of this with me. The left hand side was grass. It was not growing very much at all, and it was kind of a sharp, trusee green. It wasn't a healthy green. And then in the middle was a grass, I'll just say normal looking. And on the right hand side was a grass that was very tall and dark, dark green. And when you pick the roots up, the roots on the middle and the left, the proper fertilizing and the not enough fertilizing were very deep and extensive. That grass plant was sending those roots out to build a big root system to pull in the things that needed. But the grass that have been overfertilized with nitrogen that look wonderful on top, by the way, you get to mow it a lot when that happens. When you picked it up, it had less root system than normally fertilized grass. Now going into summer, when you got grubs chomping roots, when you've got one hundred degrees when it's not raining, you need a good root system, and so overfertilizing in one point in time with nitrogen is not a good thing. It's not a good thing to have any nutrient out of balance, but especially when it comes to the nitrogen, a gradual release is important. Now I said all that, but I was talking about Bruce's brute. Now some plant food. When you create a good quality bank account of nutrients in the soil, you have a good, healthy grass plant that's going to be less vulnerable to pests and diseases, and it's going to have a beautiful it's going to create that beautiful lawn that you want. But I say it a lot here. If a teaspoon's good, a tablespoon is not necessarily better. And so keep that in mind. It is true with fertilizers too, the proper amount. And that's why we like slow releases because they release for us slowly. We don't have to go out there and spoon feed the grass every day to get that proper amount out. All right, Well, there you go, Nelson Plant Feed. By the way, those Turfstar products from Nelson's are available all over town, easy to find them, in fact, throughout this whole listening area. You're going to find Nelson plant products even settle across the state. There's people out of state that order those things because they found that they work. You're listening to Garden Line phone number this Sunday morning. By the way, Happy Sunday morning to you. Seven one three two one two kt r H. Seven one three two one two kt r H. See I today when I'm done with the show this afternoon. I've got some tasks that I'm looking forward to getting to. I've got some plants that have been sitting on the front porch waiting for me to plant them when I'm not running around doing horticulture business stuff. But anyway, they are ready to go in the ground. And when I pull them out of the pots, here's what the first thing I do is I lay the pot over and slide the plan out. And if it's a little tiny tomato plant, well that's not as important. But even with that, you don't want to just grab the plant and pull it up out of the pot. Sometimes you can do some damage to the base of the stem where it's attached, and sometimes plant roots will stick to the pot. So lay it over, kind of bump the pot and slide it out and then look at the root system. And that's what I'll do. If the plant's going to be in the ground a long time, like a tree or a shrub. If you see a lot of roots going around in a circle, cut them because they don't unwind underground and they don't move out and establish as well as if you cut them. And it's hard to cut roots. I know that you're thinking, I'm going to kill this plant. No you're not, No, you're not. It's like pruning back the top. If you prune a plant back, what happens. It sprouts out several new shoots everywhere you prune to shoot out, and it does. If you've seen that, the same thing happens in the roots you cut those roots. If you were to cut the roots and put it back in the pot or put it in the ground and then pull it up in about two or three weeks, you would see all these new, white, healthy roots venturing out from back behind where you cut them. That is how a plant grows, and that helps avoid a circling root growing bigger as the trunk goes bigger and ending up strangling the tree. And I have seen that before. But cut the roots before you put them in the ground and a watermen really good. With a quality product, you're going to end up having a good chance of success getting those things off on the right foot to success. I always talk about Medina's has to grow six twelve six. That's an excellent product for that, and I want to I want to talk to you a little bit about that one when I when I come back here in a minute. But that's one that I mix.
Speaker 8: It in water.
Speaker 3: I put it in a watering can and water the plant in really good. Sometimes I'll even soak the whole root ball in medina has to grow six to twelve six, then put it in the ground. That way, you got a good soaking, plenty of phosphors there for those developing roots. Time for me to take a break. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: There will be days like this.
Speaker 1: There will be days like.
Speaker 3: This, my mama say, all right, there will be days like this. In fact, we're gonna have days like this for the first part of this week. Folks. Take out your weather app and look at it. Is wonderful. We've got some cool temperatures to kind of give us in a little chili side this morning. But that's okay. We got sunshine, sunshine, sunshine. Going into this week, it looks wonderful. The temperatures are mild. It is gardening weather, and we are excited. I am excited about that because I got a lot of things I need to get done out there in the yard and garden. If you are looking for a horticultural tourism experience for a garden center, Okay, Moss Nursery and Seabrook is when you need to go to it is. It's down there on Toddville Road in Seabrook and it is eight acres cram full of gorgeous plants. I mean beautiful things. Flowers everywhere. They're hanging baskets full of flowers, the flats of flowers, the red bud trees, the pink Japanese magnolias, you know, those are the ones that bloom in the spring before they get leaves, and then the leaves come on and they're one of the earliest harbingers of spring.
Speaker 13: Oh.
Speaker 3: I've been looking to use that word today, Harbingers of spring. Yeah. I love Japanese magnolias, their gorgs and the amazing white Chinese fringe tree. The Chinese fringe tree is my favorite spring blooming tree. I know there's a lot of the good ones. I just love it. Billows of white blooms, and they've got them there at Moss Nursery. They have all kinds of flowering shrubs. They have twenty different kinds of azalias. They've got beautiful hedranges.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I like hanging baskets. I like containers in general, but hanging baskets too. You know, you just put them wherever you want beauty and color. If you've got a big beautiful area with you know, trees maybe spreading out, you can put hanging baskets that tolerate the shade. It could be ferns, it could be impatients in those areas. I've even used houseplants for summer and hanging baskets like Pathos ivy coming out underneath the trees in an area like that, and then in the sun hanging baskets full of color. Thousand flats of different color plants at Moss there. I mean that they the trucks line up down the block bringing them stuffs all the time. From Alyssam to Zenia's a to z. They have bones eye, both mature ones and starter plants, so if you like to try that as a hobby. They probably have fifty eight hundred different kinds of bones. I think that's really cool. And while you're there, check out those quirky T shirt designs that Jim comes up with. At Moss Nursery. Jim Moss has a thing a series. It's the Eyeball Plant and you just have to go see it. It's funky stuff, all right. Moss Nursery, seventy year old, family operated eight acre source of everything you need, Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas. Go to Moss Maas Nursery dot com or give them a call to eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. That would be a fun outing this afternoon or anytime this week. Let's go back to the phones. We're going to go to Austin County and talk to Terry. Hello, Terry, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Yes, hi, skip bro Richter. I know this is the garden lot, but we got an environmental catastrophe in Alton County. They we have a two hundred acre farm. They theem the town of sam Philip Day.
Speaker 3: Terry, Terry, Terry, I need to come in. There's not going to be a topic that I can address here on guarden Line.
Speaker 8: So thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you calling me, but not one I can do. All right, Let's see what was I Oh? I was telling you about Medina while ago. The Medina products, they've been around since nineteen fifties. They in fact, I think from the time garden Lines started back in the Dewey Compton days, Medina Products were a sponsor of the show. They've been around that long. And I was telling you about the six twelve six. It's the Medina has to grow plant six twelve six plant food, and I use it for transplanting. It's not the only thing you.
Speaker 16: Use it for.
Speaker 3: But it's got a real high phosphor's number and root development. It's important to have good phosphorus content in the soil as those roots begin to develop. It's part of that whole process. Phosphorus serves a number of functions the plant. But I'll start it off with a good soaking with that, and then about a week later, ten days, two weeks, whatever. Just come back to it. For me, it's about a week soak it again, and then about a week later soak it again with the Medina has to grow six twelve six It's easy to do. You put a little bit in water. You're not going to burn with it. I'm not gonna hurt the plants. I mean, you can use it a folio spray. It's that safe. But it works. And so when you're doing a new plant in the ground, the goal is to take that transplant and get it off to a good start. I like to say you wanted to hit the ground running, and medina has to grow six twelve six days, just exactly that in my vegetable garden. If you could see it right now, you would probably wonder what happened. And it's because I just did a major renovation of the whole thing. I've got leaves in the walkways. I'll talk about that more maybe later, and then in the beds I have shredded leaves and it's all well, all barren. I've got a number of different kinds of multiplying onions right now, but tomatoes, some tomatoes are out there. I've got a pepper, of course out there, some strawberries and things. But I'm getting ready because I do a lot of okra breeding every summer. It's just something I like to do. It's fun and maybe maybe if you have never tried plant breeding on your own. Sometimes it's really easy. There's some plants it's not hard to cross. But anyway, I need a lot of space for that, and I have enough for the vegetables that we want to eat, for the for the kitchen and everything. But I'm getting ready for all those got the seeds out and one of the things I do, and boy Okra would not be happy germinating and temperatures like this morning. It likes it to warm up a little bit. But I'll pre soak this seed the night before. And I don't do this with all seed, but with a lot of them I do. Some seed have a hard seed coat. Some seed are a little slow to germinate. But if you put them in pretty hot water. Let's say you do that this evening, okay, and then the next morning you're gonna plant, or the next day you're gonna plant. You don't want to leave in the water for a long time. Put them in pretty hot water and then just let it cool down a room temperature, and that speeds up the absorption of water into the seed. The term is imbibing. The seed imbibes the water and when water gets into that interior part of that dry not dead. It looks dead asleep seed. It starts biochemical reactions that wakes it up, and here comes a root out, and then here comes a shootout, and all the things that help a seed become a plant start to happen once it soaks in some water. And so by doing that the night before, you get a good head start. Now sometimes this is just kind of me going on for those of you who are interested. Sometimes with the okra, I'll soak it overnight and then I'll put it in like either moist paper towels in a zip closure bag, or I'll put it in little jars of water with a lid, but just a tiny bit of water enough where the seed is sticking up and getting oxygen. It's not completely submerged, but it's getting oxygen, but it's still staying moist. And then just watch them for a few days, and if your seeds are not all viable, if they're not, like maybe it's an old package of seed and you're wondering which of these is still going to come up, you'll see it little rootles start out, and don't leave it long. Go ahead and plant it. When you first start to see the root come out, and you'll have a better way of knowing how which seeds to plant, which ones are going to come up, or how many to plant or whatever. Anyway, that's just a little added tip. Not something you have to do for sure, but something I think that you may want to give a good try. League City Feed is down in League City. It's on It's on Highway three, just a few blocks south of ninety six. It serves that whole region down there, and it's that typical old time feedstore that I just grew up in. I love nitrophos as, microlife, heirloom soils, you know, Nelson platfood. It's got everything you need to have success with your plants. They carry the bags out for you if you want them to do that. They're open Monday through Saturday nine to six. Are close today two eight one three three two one six one two. This is a third generation of Thunderbirds running League City Feed, and the stores just as good as it ever was. I love going in there.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take a break and I'll be right back along night. All right, welcome back, Welcome back to the guard Line. Hey, the phone number to write this one down seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H Nitrophas super Turf is designed to gradually feed your lawn over four months. It's a beautiful blend four to one two ratio basically four one two racio fertilizer. So it's I got an extra pack of nitrogen in it, but it doesn't release it all at once. It's good that nitrogen is going to be released over sixteen weeks and it works well. It's easy to spot in the store because it's a silver bag silver Nitropas Super Turf silver slow release. That's what you need to remember. Works on all our southern turf crisis in Augustine, Bermuda and Zysia. You're going to find it at places like in Chinned Gardens down Richmond Rosenberg area, if you are around Court Hardware on South Maine and Stafford, or m and d up in Cyprus on Luetta Road, places that carry nitrovoss products. I was talking about earlier, the idea of you know, watering in our plants really well with a soluble fertilizer food and just something you always want to remember and do. By the way, now I wanted to just mention a little bit more about that leaves in the walkway that are in my garden. In the garden, I put leaves in my walkways. I've got the beds, the race and then the walkways. And rather than you know, having to deal with weeds and mud and when it range too much and stuff like that, I just pile leaves and I gather them. In the fall season of the year, I just gathered a whole bunch when all the the live oak leaves came off the trees, and you know, put those in and I put them really thick in there and walk on them, and they just decompose away. They go down over time, so you keep adding them to it, just keep adding them and adding them. It's a weed free walkway. It's an all weather walkway. The end of the season, you're gonna still see dry leaves on top. But if you'll rake those back, what you'll see down below is chocolate brown decomposing leaf mold. It's called leaf mold, not bread mold. It's just a term used that means it's about a halfway to compost leaf. Okay, you can still see little flat sections like oh, this was a leaf broken apart, but it's good stuff and that can go right into your beds. Mix it in good organic matter and then just lay the old dry leaves back down and start the process again. If you want to speed it up, you can throw some fertilile are on. It's some nitrogen, primarily rote a. Till it in to break them up, chop them up a little bit, make sure it stays moist during dry times when we don't get rain. But that's a way you can make a lot of compost in your walkways while having the benefits of no weeds an all weather surface. Just a tip for you to think about. One of my favorite garden centers to go visit is Enchanted Forest. Jenni Forest is down in Richmond Rosenberg area. In fact, it's on FM twenty seven fifty nine. And in Chanted Forest always always is an interesting place that is going to be loaded with every kind of plant that you would want. And I mean that because every time I go, I am so surprised at the different things they carry. Now they specialize in everything. I mean, really, how can you specialize in everything? Well, they do. At Ingented Forest, you're going to find plants for pollinators, they great selection. You're going to find flowering trees like that Chinese fringe I've been talking about. You're going to find plants for summer heat, like Madagascar periwinkle, which most people call vinca. There's a couple of incas, so I like to call it Madagascar periwinkle. You're gonna find color plants like roses. Oh gosh, they have an awesome selection of roses, great selection of containers, and then really cool fun stuff. You know, the unique canmade cedar houses for birds and bats and butterflies, and the yard arc you know, the decoratives, the outdoor decoratives and things. They've got everything you need there. Do you have shady areas well? Go buy visit some of their kalladiums. Look at some of the other shade loving plants that they have. All this enchanted Forest in Richmond, And here's the website you want to use. This website Enchanted Forest, Richmond, t X. Don't forget the TX dot com Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Go check it out. Check it out. You'll see what I'm talking about. Be a great place to take some friends and go visit. This afternoon. So anyway, I was kind of talking about some different tips as we go through here. You know, I think that one of the things that a lot of gardeners don't really understand is what microbes are doing in the soil and why we talk so much about microbes. And we talk about microbes because microbes help build the soil, and microbes also help the plants. Now this is mind blowing, but did you know that there are microbes that can go up to a root and communicate with the root and cause that plant send a signal that causes the plant to grow in a different way that helps it fight a disease up on top.
Speaker 12: We have it there.
Speaker 3: In fact, there's a product you can buy. It's a Bacillus. You know, we have bt Bacillis, the or in gensis that kills caterpillars. Well, this is a different Basillius bacteria in the soil. It's a native bacteria in the soil and it's a long one Basillus amelo licopations gezantite.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 3: But this basillis you can purchase it in different kinds of products. There are several products on the market that have it, and it has a you'll see on there where you look at the basillis meato ecofacians. My apologies, but that's the word. It'll say D seven forty seven. So think of the airplane, a seven forty seven airplane D seven forty seven. That's the strain that's sold and you drench it into the soil and it actually communicates with the roots and benefits the plant in that way. There are microbes that connect, like fungi that connect one plant's roots to another to signal between those. I could do a whole show just on some of the basic things that microbes do in the soil. It's really cool. And so anytime we are helping our microbes to do well, we're helping our plants. So, for example, when you keep the soil adequately moist, when you make sure the soil is where well air rated, not water logged. Water logged, there are microbes that can't live submerged. There are microbes that can live without any oxygen, but those are generally not good microbes. Most of those are not good microbes to have. So we want a well drained soil. That's our preference. And then another thing is organic matter in the soil compost. In the soil compost another whole show just on what compost does. It's effect on soil structure, keeping the soil open, keeping oxygen down in the soil, well, aer orated water goes in and it drains through well, it holds moisture better if it's a sand, for example. And then the compost also is foodstock for a lot of the microbes. Now, microbes need carbon, and there's a lot of carbon in decomposing leaves, for example, but there's also carbon in some products. Swee Green is an example that one's from nitropost. It is basically a sugar, and a sugar is basically a carbon chain, okay, And when you put that down in the soil, and organic gardeners have long known that molasses in the soil is good for some of those beneficial microbes, especially the bacteria that it's going to benefit the soil. And Sweet Green's eleven percent nitrogen fertilizer, which is pretty high for an organic product, but you put it down and so you're getting the nitrogen in the soil, but you're also helping stimulate microbial activity. And I was just giving you a few examples. There are just a really random few, but there are hundreds and hundreds of examples of what microbes do in the soil and why we want to take care of them. When your soil is full of microbes, your roots are going to be happy because it's going to mean the soil condition is suitable for roots also, and you're going to see results. Oh by the way, if you're looking for sweet green, you're going to find it at places really nitfoss products are carried like at Langham Cree Case Hardware on five point twenty nine m and d out in Rosenberg and let's see where. Oh you could also go to the Acid Single Ranch, Mason Road. Those are just a few of many, many, many examples of where you get nitrofoss products. So think about that. I guess I could say, you know, hug a microbe today, but that would be kind of weird. But they do so much for us. Microbes rule the world. They do, they do, And you get me talking about microbes and I just won't shut up. In fact, I'm coming up on a break here, so I'm just gonna talk until the music makes me stop. Do you know that the microbes in your intestinal tract through your intestinal track? Do you know that they produce more serotonin, the feel good chemical, than you do. So we benefit in just in our well being from the fact that we have microbes. Did you know that there are more cells in your body that are not you than are you? If you can't the number of cells that are you and the number of cells that are let's say, microbes that are in through your intestinal there's more of them than there are you. Basically, you're a school bus for carrying passengers around. That's true, but they all do good things they do, and it's a cool, cool thing. Without microbes, we wouldn't have cheese without microbes. That wouldn't have beer. Without microbes, we wouldn't have a lot of things that we enjoy in life. And when it comes to plants therein take a plan into space and squirt fertilizer water on the roots hanging in mid air, floating around in space, and shine a light on it and grow a tomato. You can do that. But in the natural system, it's all run by the microbes. They're doing it all and when we make them happy, we make the plants happy. That makes us happen. I'm gonna take a little break when we come back. Mike and Brenham. It'll be our first stop.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skimp Rickard's shop.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as.
Speaker 14: Us.
Speaker 3: So many birthdays to supers.
Speaker 2: Not a sound.
Speaker 3: Hey, good Sunday morning. Good Sunday morning to you. Hopefully you're getting a nice slow start.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I need time to wake up when I do Garden Line. I mean may the show may start at six, but I gotta start way before that because it just takes me a minute, you know, a cup of coffees, some quiet time sitting there and just kind of coming to Otherwise I'd be snoring on the radio, and that's bad radio. We don't want to do that. I was talking about microbes and importance of microbes, and you know, Microlife Fertilizers have built their entire company around that. That's why it's called micro Life. Okay, Microbes rule the world, and Microlife products are not only do they feed microbes, but they're chalk full of microbes and they're loaded with microbes. And so you take a product like a bag of Microlife sixty four, the typical lawn fertilizer from Microlife. I say typical, it's the standard one four lawns that they do. It's a green bag, okay, and it's got billions and billions beneficial microbes in it. It is a product that is made in such a way that it is taking organic matter and releasing the nutrients of organic matter back into the soil as microbes break that down. When you put microlife on the ground, it doesn't dissolve and the nutrients just wash out like a salt based fertilizer. It is a It is a product that microbes chew it apart and turn all those nutrients release and some of them go through their bodies and then as they die they release them and it's just part of that organic cycle. And that is how microlife basically works. That is that is what it's based on the natural cycle. So the six two four green bag, it's time to get that on, by the way, and you can put it on several times through the summer. It is a very gradual release, not salt based, so you're not going to burn your plants with the microlife product, and you can you can feed accordingly. Now it's a lawn fertilizer, but I use it in my vegetable gardens too. It's an excellent it's an excellent product for plants period. When you're thinking about the green bag, also think about the purple bag that's humate's plus. The humates are basically concentrated composts. And the way I like to put it is, you start with leaves and grass clippings. Let's say you turn those into compost as they decomposed, and then you let the compost keep going and it becomes humous the final stage, and humates plus is concentrated compost in a bag, and we put it on for the benefits to the microbial life in the soil and to the soil structure and everything itself. So that's why we're doing that. So you can do both bags, green and the purple bag. You're not going to end up with, you know, overdoing it that way. It's all right, you can do that. In fact, it's a good idea to do that. Micro Life products are sold all over town. They're easy to find, not a problem at all, most garden centers, most speed stores, most let's see Ace hardware stores, you know, Southwest Fertilizer for example, what have them, And you're going to find them at Ace hardware stores as well. Let's go out to Brenham, and we're going to now talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Worn to skip.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 17: Uh, I just had a couple of questions.
Speaker 11: Uh, particularly you brought up rhizomes and microbes.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 11: I've got an acre. I'm trying to clear weeds out of my yard and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: I am using.
Speaker 11: Uh I believe a two four D product to kind of sin out those weeds. Anyways, but I've also been applying Balen's will that affect the microbes and rhizomes in the yard.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: Spell that word Balen's What.
Speaker 8: What are it is?
Speaker 11: It's it's uh it's a pre emergent for.
Speaker 17: Balans.
Speaker 11: Maybe a brand.
Speaker 3: Is a Baylan Okay, yeah, sure that's primer.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, any kind of products have a potential to do some damage. But you I would say, if you're using it according to the label, it's not going to significantly hurt the microbes anything in your yard.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: The the microbes have an incredible ability to reproduce one bacteria can become millions of bacteria in like twelve hours. I mean their ability to just divide and multiply it. It is incredible. So I wouldn't misuse it, and that'd be bad for your plants also. But if you use it at the right rate, and you use it according to the label, you're you're okay on. Your microbes are gonna they're gonna be fine.
Speaker 11: Will the grasses that that are their native grasses basically is what I grow? Will they continue to spread through the rhizomes? I realized the bayland will prevent prevent the seeds from germinating. Uh, but will the grass continue to spread?
Speaker 3: Yes, Baylan a rhizome kind of pretty much a rhizome indicates it's probably a perennial type of grass. And because like Bermuda grass has rhizomes, Zusio grass has rhizomes, Saint Augustine doesn't. But uh, yeah, so so that that would not be affected by the treating.
Speaker 11: It with baylan okay or and the two four D will will help limit extra weed growth.
Speaker 1: Broad Leaf two four.
Speaker 6: D is yeah.
Speaker 3: Two for D is primarily a broad leaf we control product for existing weeds. You don't put it down, and a broad leaf that hasn't sprouted yet is going to be affected. It's it's a you get it on the foliage of an existing weed. Now when the weather heats up once we get to you know, upper eighties and certainly nineties, two four D can really stress and damage your Saint Augustine. So if you have Saint Augustine as a lawn and so you want to avoid that. But hopefully that answers what you were asking.
Speaker 8: It does.
Speaker 11: And I have one more question. Nigropas's wood Master. I'm not finding a lot online, but do you like that product?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I have some and I use it. It's a it's used primarily for trees, that's why they named it that h And it's a blend of nutrients. I don't have the ratio right in my head right now on wood Master, but it's a blend of nutrients designed for trees and shrubs and it works. It's good stuff.
Speaker 17: Excellent, excellent.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is my first year to try it, so I was curious.
Speaker 3: Okay, I appreciate you calling excellent.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Skip, But.
Speaker 3: Okay you take care, Thanks Mike. Uh time for me, take a break. I'll be right back. George and Jersey you'll be first, all righty, welcome back, Welcome back to guard Line. Glad to have you with us. You know, I talk about horticulture tourism on garden line. Basically, what I'm saying is you're going places to see gardening, to see gardens. And whenever I go to a town, I always you know, where's the botanical garden. I want to go check it out? And where are the best nurseries in town? And I tell you, every time I go to another city, and I've been to a lot of them, I always they're some nice garden centers. But I always leave thinking we are so lucky here in Houston because we have north south east West the best garden centers you're going to find anywhere in one specific place. In fact, the local Chamber of Commerce to somehow grab on to that and bring people in to see botanical gardens and garden centers and whatnot. Inn Arburgate, you know, is just a prime example of what I'm talking about. You go out to Arborgate and allow yourself some time because you're going to want to wander through. And there's a lot of wandering to do there, from the gifts ops, to the plants, to the house plant house, to the containers and everything. It is a beautiful place loaded loaded with all kinds of good stuff. When I go to out to Arbrogate, I'm always amazed at weka what's in now, because if you went last week and then you come back this week, you're going to see some things that weren't there because they're constantly getting in new stuff. Excellent supply of succulents out there at the Arbrogate. The color plants are just outstanding, and they have a landscape that's landscaped with plants and you can kind of see the things that they have and you kind of see them in their natural hybitat if you will, meaning natural meeting in a garden habitat. Arbrogate's a fun place and they understand that there's such a thing as brown stuff before green stuff. And they they have got you set up with three bags. It's the one two three completely easy system. It's a food that feeds anything for root. It's an organic food. It's it's got a four four to three plus calcium and you just put it in the soil and you've got a foundation there for success with your plants. And then they have a soil for anything any application. It's got extra expanded shale in it to make sure our clay soils stay open in addition to what the organic matter does. And then they got a compost that improves any in all soil. It's organic compass complete again, it's got some expanded shale in it as well. One, two three. You can buy these bulk if you go buy arbrogate or call them and say hey, look I need a delivery of these. They can deliver them. Buy bulk to you wherever you live. So Arburgate Garden Center just a mile and a half west of two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty, just outside on the edge of Tumble. It's a fun place to visit, and this afternoon it would be a good time to go by and do that. Let's head out to Jersey Village and we're going to talk to George. Hey, George, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Good mornings, Kip, good to talk to you. So, anyhow, a couple of weeks ago I talked to you about a Chinese tallow tree that I was trying to kill. Has put in our boots all over the backyard. So you told me to scrape off the bark down on the base and they're gonna rub some kind of junk on. Remember what it was. His name was and what was again? Let me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first of all, let me clarify. If it's a very young tree, you can put what I'm about to talk about on the outside of the of the trunk at the base. And now when I say young, I mean something the size of your thumb or maybe golf ball size. As they get older and get bark on them, you're gonna need to cut that tree off near the ground, just above the ground. And then you want immediately and that fresh cut stump to paint on a product that contains triclope here and I will spell that out for you here in one second.
Speaker 8: That's come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's t R I c l O p U y R right and right the way. Uh, I'm I'm about to put a new up dated publication on my website called Herbicide Products for various types of weeds. But on that it tells you the kind of weed. In this case, you got a woody tree you're trying to kill, and if you go over it says trico paer and then it lists all the different brands of triclopere that are most commonly seen here. But the important thing, George is to remember to do it when that cut is fresh, when you just cut it off right right, the tree.
Speaker 8: Is probably two feet across, so it's not a kid anymore. So what I did do was, like you suggested, at the pace of the tree, and then I also drilled a about a half control about a foot deep and filled with triclo peer. So how is this tree going to die or do something else? You got to cut it off? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, you might watch and see the trees are living cylinders. The if you've got a tree trunk of any size, the interior is dead wood. And then as you get out, just inside the bark is where all the life tissues of the tree are the living tissues of the tree. So that's where that tricle a peer needs to get. So if you drill a hole and get stuff into the center, it's not going to be doing much for you. And you know you're gonna get as you drill the hole, you're gonna have to go through living tissue. But that's why we say cut off the stump and paint it. And I even have a I have a publication of woody Weeds in the Landscape. Woody Weeds in the Landscape. It's on my webscare gardening with skip dot com. It tells you how to do it. It has a picture of how to do it, and it has tricle peer information on that.
Speaker 8: Don't care.
Speaker 3: So that's it gardening with Skip.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I properly on a two foot tree?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 8: How long's going to take the guy?
Speaker 3: Oh boy? Two foot high tree? Two foot tall tree diameter? Oh it, you got it? Okay? That I've never heard of the Chinese teller that big.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so that's a good question. I think in a few months it's going to be done. I think you're going to see the results a lot, a lot faster than that tree takes it in. Sometimes with a big old tree, it may have some energy to reach sprout. You know, you don't get it all with just that one little treatment, and you may have to do it a second time. But it will work. It does work, and tallows are tough to kill. Thank you, sir, Thank you appreciate your call. You take care. This morning at five o'clock, my Robin, who I think when I turned my lights on in the house, that starts to wake them up. But about five o'clock, which is light to have been on for a little bit. Uh, it began to sing and I like that. I enjoy it. And we also have some barn swallows that are at the front door, and they come and go pretty fast each year. But boy, those things when they get to chattering, I wish I had a translator to hear what they were saying, because they are giving it the business out there. Wild Bird's Unlimited is the place you go to find out all about birds, all the different birds you would want to bring into your garden. For example, I just put out my high perch hummingbird feeders. High perch hummingbird feeder that is my favorite humming bird feeder. They got those at Wildbirds Unlimited. It's got a red top cover. It's a very flat feeder so when the birds gather around it, the hummingbirds, you can see them better and you know they're not hiding behind the feeder kind of thing. I love that feeder. They also have the Eliminator. It's a squirrel proof feeder. That is probably my favorite bird feeder of all the ones I have. I just this year I got a hopper feeder that's a recycled materials feeder. The very tough, very durable. Got a wide roof so that when it rains like it did yesterday, the bird seed didn't get all wet. It's got a little bigger roof on it to kind of protect a little bit keep those seeds dry. Wild Birds Unlimited is also a source of quality bird seed, whether it's it's the well, the main one for right now would be the Nesting super Blend. It's got the protein and calcium necessary for birds. And you know, as they're laying the eggs they eat calcium. As the younger growing and eat calcium for that.
Speaker 11: And the.
Speaker 3: Nesting super Blend is designed for this season primarily, and you can use anytime you want. But it's got some really good stuff and the protein it's packed. I mean stuff like sunflower chips, peanuts, meal worms, bark, butter, other kinds of tree nuts and safflower. Lots of protein in that and it's good for the birds. And then I love the cardinal products too, you know they came out this year. The Owner of wild Birds came out with something called Cardinal Confetti and it's another great blend from Wildbirds. And we had some cardinals come into our feeder like they love that stuff again, it's got all the good stuff in it, bark butter bits, peanut hats, meal worms, striped sunflower, black ole, sunflour, and on and on. They even have a feeder for it, a tube feeder. You can use it in any kind of feederod It's a good product too, but that's what you would expect from wild Birds Unlimited. There's six stores. Wildbirds Unlimited stores clear Lake, Texas on El Dorado, Cypress, Texas on Barker Cypress. In the southern part of Houston's just south of downtown. A little bit to the west is bell Air Boulevard Wildbirds, and then out west on Memorial Drive is Houston Wildbirds. In Kingwood Drive in Kingwood another one, and then in Pairland on East Broadway. Six stores. If you want to if you didn't write all that down, wbu dot com forward slash Houston to find the wild Birds Unlimited store near you, and I hope you'll do that, but I warn you it's addictive. I've talked about this before, but the garden, the hobby of gardening is so many things put together. It is getting outside and playing with plants, yes, but it's creating a multisensory experience outdoors. You wild bird's unlimited. I was talking about them, well, birds, the songs they sing. That is an auditory experience. And when you create the garden that attracts birds, you get that auditory experience plus the beauty of them. They're very pretty. Then there's the visual experience of color. There's a visual experience of textures, you know, the bold leaves of an elephant ear versus the fine narrow textures of a moving grass in the wind. And that movement too, by the way, is another aspect of the visual taking in of the garden. Then there's the sense the fragrant plants, and you do a publication on fragrant plants. I think I'll do that, And because I'm starting to add a bunch to my landscape. You sit out there with your eyes closed New Year's plugged, and you enjoy the garden, smelling the fragrance from those plants, and then the butterflies flying by thought we call those lying flowers. That's another aspect. So see, gardening is more than just like Okay, there's a plant, there's a landscape. Take a picture that's pretty. Yes it is, but it's way more than that. It's sound, it's movement, it's sense. It's creating that little bit of Eden in your backyard, Creating that little bit of Eden that just makes it a place that you want to go, a place that you want to hang out. And you can do that here in your own backyard, on your own property. I don't care if you live, even in a little townhome. You can create that beautiful outdoor area for sensory enjoyment. If you're planting a tree, or if you have planted a tree, you need to get what's called a three sixty tree stabilizer. Now you've seen trees that were guy wired down to the ground in three directions with wires to hold the tree stable. It looks like they're afraid it's a rocket and going to take off because they they you know, they got that thing honkered down where it hardly can move well. Three sixty tree stabilizers different. You don't have to mess with the wires. You don't have to cut sections of garden hose so the wires don't cut into the tree. You don't have to have steaks in the ground and wires to trip over. You plant a you drive a t post or any kind of post really into the ground, and the three sixty tree stabilizer attaches to the post, and then it attaches to the tree with a soft rubber strap that you can leave a little loose, and you should, because a little movement helps strengthen the trunk and the bracing roots at the base of the trunk. That movement makes the plant grow stronger. Plants respond that way, just the way our muscles to being worked respond by getting stronger, more resilient. Tree trunks do the same thing. It's a principle of nature, all right. And if you most situations one tree stabilizers enough, if you've got a bigger tree, or you got a lot of you can do one kind of from the north south side, or and then one from the east west side, and then you have you've completely got it, and you have that movement. And you can get tree stabilizers at R. C W Nursery, Dunn and Alvin or Haes Hidden Gardens over in Cenna see in a mulch Buchanan's Native plants in the Heights Arborgate out there in Tomball Plants for all seasons on the road to Tomball Tomball Parkway, right where just north of Lueta or all places where you can find the three sixty tree stabilizer. Well, it's about time for me to go to a break here point. This one came fast, you know, droning on about some things. Well, thank you for being a listener to Garden Line. If you'd like to give us a call, you can be one of our first up when we come back at seven one three two one two k t r H. Hey, welcome back to the Garden Line.
Speaker 18: Good to have you with us.
Speaker 3: If you would like to give me a call talk about gardening seven one three two one two ktr H seven one three two on two kt rh. Nitropos Imperial fifteen five to ten is a ratio that was developed by university turf researchers many many years ago, and this product's been around for about half a century now. But that three one two ratio is perfect for what the ratio of nutrients that lawns take up. You know, if you were to look in a grass blade and send it to the lab and go, hey, what's on this? They would tell you there's about three times as much nitrogen as phosphorus and about twice as much potassium as phosphorus. Three or four times as much nitrogen. So anyway, it's a good stuff. It's the same red orange bag that they've always had, makes it easy to spot, and the fifteen five to ten imperial nitropos Imperial can be used really, it can be used for any kind of plants. I mean, it's not just the lawn furtiliser, but if you are putting it in the lawns, you can do small doses about every six weeks as you go through the season, or you can just use it once as a quick green up and then switch over to a slower release product, which Knight Foss also has those Knitrofas. Imperial and other nitofas products are available at places like Plantation Ace Hardware on FM three point fifty nine down in Richmond Rosenberg In They're also available by the way at Katie Ace Hardware on pin Oak and Hiding and Feed on Studenter Airline, as well as many many other places I was visiting. We were kind of working out the switch of the Warren's appearance from Kingwood this pat this weekend. It would would have been yesterday to the nineteenth, which, by the way, albeit Warren Southern Gardens in Kingwood on the nineteenth from twelve thirty to two thirty, and we were talking about that and then just it just reminded me of the Airloom Soils. Warrants always has an excellent supply of the airloom soils products out there, as do many places. They are widely available, but Airloom Soils has really perfected the soil amendment process and the products that they have are outstanding. They make a really good lead mole compost, They make an outstanding veggie and herb mix. But they make mixes for pretty much anything you're looking for that whether you're looking for something just to go in a landscape bed as a general bed mix, whether you're looking something for roses and other blooming plants, they've got all of those. Now, many of their products are available by the supersack. What a supersac is is a cubic yard in a giant, very strong sack, and they can basically bring it to your house and set it on the driveway, or you can go get one thing, put it in your trailer for if you want it real neat, easy clean way to go about it. They can also deliver and put it dump it on the driveway if you want, like I need ten yards. I often need ten because I'm always doing a lot of soil improvement around the place. All you got to do is go to the website Airloomsoils dot com Heirloomsoils dot com. You can find out more there about how to get their products and where to get their products because their bags are widely available in garden centers throughout this area. And the stuff works. And I say that because I've used it. I've used it and I know it works. Uh, if you are interested in giving me a call, maybe a gardening question today seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Plants for All Seasons is a garden center right there on two forty nine at Luetta. So if you're on two forty nine, you exit Luetta and it's just north of Luetta, right on the feeder, and I mean just Northlake, not even hardly a block north of Luettah, if you're a green thun that takes pride in your lawn and garden, you need to visit Plants for All Seasons on two forty nine. If you're a bright and you'd like to turn your thumb Green. You need to visit Plants for All Seasons on two forty nine, family owned operated business center since what a business center garden center since oh gosh, nineteen seventy three, I believe is when they first opened up up there. And these folks, whether it's education, whether it's plant selection, delivery, planting, custom potting, they are true lawn and garden experts. They know it all. They do it all because they've been here, they've done it. They are gardeners. They have pretty much seen everything. They can come through the garden at one time or another or many times, and they know what to tell you about it. You can take them a picture, you can bring them a sample in even if you didn't buy a plant there and you have a problem bringing in and ask them about it and they'll they'll direct you. And what you'll find out is that it is well worth going by Plants for All Seasons because the advice you get, the quality plants that want to grow here, that they have a available, and then the service after the sale. It just it's a way to go. Absolutely is a way to go. Plants for All Seasons dot com or you can follow them on social media too. Two, eight, one, three, seven, six, sixteen forty six in my vegetable garden. I was telling you that I'd been mulching and created the walkways of leaves for all season gardening. What I'm about to do is start a whole bunch of marigolds seeds. I've got some beds that have nematodes on them. I do not know where the nematods came from. I'm pretty sure it came from some soil I brought in a while back that I shouldn't have, but I did, And I think now I've got some nematods in there, So I'm gonna grow marigols walled wall. Did you know marigos are a trap crop for nematodes. It doesn't eradicate nematods by any stretch of the imagination. But when when you plant not just a marigold besides tomato plant like you'll hear sometimes people say, do don't do that gon work, But I mean, wall to wall, this whole bed will be solid miragles. I want every cubic centimeter of soil to have a marigo root in it, because when a nematod goes into a marigol route it's not able to complete its life cycle, and you don't get that proliferation, and you get a little bit of a reduction therefore in the nemotoid content in the soil. And there's other crops that will do that. But that is about the only good strategy other than nematod resistant plants for getting ahead of the nematod problems in our landscapes. I'm gonna be doing that. I'll post some pictures to Facebook as we get into this season. We're going to go now to Pasadena and talk to Greg. Hey, Greg, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Skip quick, A couple of quick questions. Number one, I've had some mushrooms popping up in my yard, particularly last year before the winter, and then now I'm noticed from here in the early spring.
Speaker 12: What can I do?
Speaker 3: Okay? Kind of control that don't need to Yeah, you don't need to do anything. There's not a good control for it anyway. Most of those, or the vast majority of those, are just decomposer fungi that are breaking down organic matter, whether it's the thatch of your lawn or woody root materials in the in the soil.
Speaker 7: Not a problem okay, so I don't need to go and try to pull them up by the roots. It's okay to mow them.
Speaker 3: No, No, that won't that won't do anything. It won't do anything. Yeah, just leave them alone, ignore.
Speaker 12: Them all right.
Speaker 8: Wonderful, wonderful.
Speaker 7: Secondly, I'm redoing my flower beds landscaping in the front of my house.
Speaker 8: I'm pulled up from old.
Speaker 2: Edges and roads buis that I had in there.
Speaker 7: What kind of rep work do I need to do? Do I need to pull out the old sod, the old soil, and uh?
Speaker 12: What could I do?
Speaker 3: Just just add up, add add quality composts to it several inches, mix it in deeply, create a little bit of a raised bed there, and then mix in some good nutrients into the soil. The I'm a I have to go to a break right now. But uh, that's that's my fast answer on it. I may make a comment or two when we come back, But Greg, thank you, I appreciate the calls. We just ran out of time. Alrighty, A little bit of fun from Ricochet this Sunday morning. Welcome back to Guardlinem. Good to have you with us. Quality Home Products of Texas is where you can get the Generac automatic stand by generator that these are great. When it says automatic stand by, it means power goes off. You're sitting there in your easy chair reading the paper and power comes right. You almost don't even know it went off. I mean it's that automatic Generaic though. Awesome products, but why quality home well quality home products. It's the number one generator servicer in the Houston area and our hurricane season is coming around the corner. But from last year we learned it does not have to be hurricane season to have a storm, and they don't have to be a hurricane to have a storm. Rather, this is a standout organization. We're talking about honesty, transparency, reliability, and integrity with every client. They've served over seventy seven thousand homeowners with award winning customer service and I do mean award winning eight times. They've won the Pinnacle Award, Better Business Bureaus Customer Service Award Most Prestigious one. Their products are fully engineered, they're fully installed and fully monitored by Quality Home Products themselves, which is rare. Twenty twenty three, the Houston Chronicle made them the best of the Best or awarded them the Best of the best in the home contractor division. This is a family owned operation since nineteen eighty nine. And oh, by the way, they do offer financing options. They are available now. What you need to do is go to the website QUALITYTX dot com or give them a call. It's easy to remember the number. It's seven to one three Quality seven one three Quality. Talk to them. You know, this is a process. They're going to Quality Home walks you through it. They get the right generator for you first of all, after listening to you talk about what you need, and then they step out there and all those you know, any kind of permits or whatever they are needed to do this, they handle that for you. They have their own in house electricians and so on. I mean they this is a turnkey company. But after they walk off from having put this great product genera automatic standby generator on your property, that's when the service just continues. Twenty four to seven three sixty five. That's why people rate them like they do. We're going to go now out to Cyprus and talk to you, Matt. I can get there.
Speaker 19: We go.
Speaker 3: Hey, Matt, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Skip, Good morning, Skip. Did you receive my picture of my sweet banana plant last Saturday.
Speaker 13: I sent it in the afternoon, I believe.
Speaker 3: Let me go looking for it, Matt. I don't see a Matt in the emails.
Speaker 12: It would be.
Speaker 3: Tell me a little bit about it.
Speaker 12: Well, it has the swatches of brown on the leaves.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, Okay, So that's a natural marking on bananas, some bananas. It's kind of almost a burgundy brown color that is just part of the leaf itself. Hey, Matt, I need you to turn the radio. Turn the radio down.
Speaker 12: It's down, sir.
Speaker 3: Okay, hell, all right, thank you. Yes, I can hear you.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm not finding your email. But without the name popping up on top, it's gonna take a little while. But that is a natural marking. And I think I remember seeing your picture on banana leaves. It's a it's a splotching. It's actually a streaking across the leaf. Yes, from the center to the edge. Yes, okay, nothing to worry about. Just want to It's actually an ornamental feature of some type, some varieties of bananas.
Speaker 8: So just stay stay bad about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no problems at all. You're good on that one. You can go take care of the other plants. I appreciate, appreciate the call. But yeah, nothing, nothing to worry about. Just enjoy those bananas. Hopefully we'll have a good long season and you get some some fruiting here for too long. Thank you, Kin, appreciate you appreciate your call, sir, all right, thank you. I appreciate that a lot. Nitropas Superturf is their slow release fertilizer for the lawn for summer, and it's easy to spot. I can give you the numbers nineteen four s N but you don't have to go around with the mag divine glass and looking at all the fertilizer bags for those numbers. Just look for silver. It's a silver bag, a big silver bag Nitropas superturf. You put it down and for four months you're done. And basically you put Nitrophs superturf down around now and you're not going to be fertilizing again until we put our fall fertilizations on. I'm pretty much, especially if you're returning your clippings now. Nito five Superturf and other products are available at places like Plans for all seasons on Luetta, the d and d feed Store outside of Tomball on twenty nine to twenty on the West side, and M and D and let's see that's in Sagement on Beamer Street, and many many other places. Those are just some examples. Another place, you know, in general, when you're thinking, when I think about night Foss, I go, well, they're at Ace Hardware stores. Because Ace Hardware almost always you're going to find all the night foss products there. You can go to the website Acehardware Texas dot com and that will give you a map. When you tell it where you are, it'll give you a map of the Ace Hardware stores in our Houston group that are near you. It makes it really easy. Ace Hardware Texas dot Com. When you go into ACE Hardware, you're going to find a wide variety of pest control, disease control, weed control, both the pre emergent and the post emergent, and fertilizers for your garden. You're going to find the tools that you need. You're going to find everything to make that outdoor area that you love to go out and enjoy. You're going to make it better and nicer, from barbecue pits to lighting to you name it. Ace is the place they've got you covered. And then the same thing, by the way, is true on the inside too. Beautiful things for the home and from turning your home environment into a wonderful place. Many Ace Hardware stores throughout the Greater Houston area, places like Aspas ACE in the Woodlands, Plantation, ACE on Mason Road, down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, j and ours as out there in Porter, down in Bay City, Bay City Ace on Seventh Street. For those of you out in Brenham area, there's ACE Hardware on North Austin Parkway and then up in Spring on Rayford Road. And again I'm just reading a few of the many ACE Hardware stores that you will find at ACE Hardware Texas dot com. Ace Hardware Texas dot Com talking about taking care of these plants and different things to be doing out in the garden. This time of the year, it is time to get as much of your planting for the spring and summer done as you can, because every week that a plant has to get roots established is a week that makes it better prepared for summer heat and dry conditions. And that's especially true of what you ornamentals. You're gonna plant a tree, a shrub, or a woody vine, get it in the ground now. But it's also true of things you know, like the perennials and even our annuals that we're putting out. Plan them now, get them done. Boy, is this week ever going to be a good one for planting? And if you've not been out to Enchanted Gardens, you need to go. This is a destination garden center on the Katie Fullsher side of Richmond. It's on FM three point fifty nine. Here's the website. You'd write this down because it is an awesome website with lots of great information and you can stay up to day. Follow them on social media too. By the way, Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. The Lenderman family has been part of that community since nineteen ninety five garden first opened, And when you go there, it is just a wonderful experience. You're going to find an unmatched, unmatched rather a selection of every kind of plant that you can imagine. But also you're going to find an enthusiastic team that is knowledgeable and they can help you. They can look at photos and samples to give you expert advice. They can help you put together you know, you want to put together a beautiful color combo planter. Well they can give you some ideas, Oh, you want to put this in the middle because you know it's taller, and then you puture things around the side, or here's some colors that go well together. All that kind of stuff. You get that kind of service. You're going to find Microlife, Nitrofloss, Nelson plant Food, Medina Products, Nature's Way, Heirloom Sauce. I'm just telling you from brown stuff to green stuff en Gentigardens Richmond dot Com on FM three point fifty nine. You know, I always get sad when I hear the music plan because I got to go talking about gardening and I like to talk about garden with gardeners, which reminds me. By the way, next Saturday, I'm gonna be at r CW Nursery up there where belt Wait eight and FM two forty nine Tombol Parkway come together. We have got some really cool stuff going on at RCW, and I hope that you will come out and see me.
Speaker 12: For sure.
Speaker 3: For example, we're gonna have they're gonna have the spring flaying out there, and we're gonna have a lot of giveaways, barbecues and refreshments. In fact, I want to tell you a little bit more about that when I come back.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as.
Speaker 3: Many a sign s, well, good morning again. You're listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. That's the way I like to put it, because that's what gardening ought to be like, no sweat, no worries. So talk about this all the time. Don't worry. You can't fail at gardenings. Yes I said that, you're going. Yeah, but I have no. You haven't not unless you've given up. And if you give up, well, I guess you could say you failed at gardening. But you just keep you, just keep going. You try it again. Listen. I can't tell you how many plants I've killed in my life. Learning, trying things, experimenting. It's okay, it's all right to do that. And you know, I mean, if you want, you can revamp your garden and landscape anytime you wish to. I mean, really, you don't see people doing this much. But you literally could take an old maybe at a landscape there's planeted in nineteen seventies and the bushes are now pushing over the top of the eaves, and a lot more dwarf, beautiful, compact kinds of plants that are available now. I mean, you can turn the whole thing to dirt and come back with compost and beds and new plants and start over again. Usually people do that, you know, a section at a time. But I'm just trying to make the point, and that is if you look at what If you're looking at your landscape, you don't like what you see, well then do something, do something different. You can get out and drive around. I like to drive around and take pictures of things that I think are interesting. Plants I think are interesting. I find stuff online all the time. There's a plant I haven't grown before, let's try that out. You can do that. You can do it that way, create it yourself, or I mean, if you want, you can have somebody like Piercecapes come and do it for you. You know, Pier Scapes. Those folks know what they're doing. They've been doing this a very very long time. And when you're looking for instant pizazz or whether it's a complete renovation or whether it is just hey, I want to improve on this a little bit. I'd like to redo that flower bed, or can you make that area draam better? Or what about you know, I've always wanted an outdoor, shaded sitting area where we could enjoy in the evenings, you know, with hard scapes and I don't know, maybe even a water feature or something like that. Piercescapes can do it. There are a preferred landscaper here on garden Line. It's a one stop shop. Basically, all you got to do is go to the website. That is the most important thing is go look at what they do piercescapes dot com. Piercescapes dot com. Now you're going to see some stuff that's like, oh my gosh, that's the taj mahal right and that doesn't quite look like my place. Well, they can do anything at any level that you need done to make your place beautiful, whether it's just redesigning a flower bed to a turnkey front, backside and everything. Redo pierscapes dot com. Here's the phone number two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty to eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. You need to go check them out, and then you need to give them a call. You're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. And the important thing to know is the phone number seven one three two one two k t r A. Let's talk about the things that you're interested in. I don't forget I was talking about RCW Nursery before we went to break next Saturday, April twelfth. April twelfth, next Saturday, put that on your calendar. I'm gonna be there from twelve to two, So from noon to two. Now, you know you have to eat before you come. RCW is going to have a barbecue lunch. They're gonna have some refreshments there for you there. Also, while I'm out there, they're gonna have a one, one day, only ten percent off sale on their roses, and you need to go see their roses. They're blooming. They look great right now. So you know, if you're tired of looking at a picture on a tag and going, well, what does that flower really look like? Or was this smell like, Well, there you go. They're on the plants. Go look at them, go smell them, go check them out. Ten percent off on the roses next Saturday. And now I'll be there answering gardening questions. I'm gonna have some cool giveaways for you as well, and we're just gonna have a good time. I always love going to RCW Nurseries. That is a fun place. So put it on your calendar, come on out and see me. We will visit and I have some handouts and as I said, some cool giveaways as well. In your lawn if you have not put a pre emergent down and you would like to, especially if your lawn is thin, barricade from nitrofoss is the product that does that kill. And the reason I say it's the product is because it prevents both the broad leaf and the grassy weed seeds. The vast already of all grassy and broad leaved weeds will be controlled by barricade. You put it down, you watered in about a half inch of water, maybe a third of inch of water just to get it in the ground.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And a ten pound bag covers about five thousand square feet, so most ones. That's enough to do that. Remember, follow the label. If you've got a two thousand, five hundred square foot lawn, don't put the whole bag on it. That's double the rate. Follow the label very important to do that. You're going to find products like this at Plants and Things in Brenham Fisher's Hardware in Baytown on Alexander, UH and down include Lake Hardware on Dixie and in Angleton. Lake Hardware and Velasco are places that carry my nitroposs products. You're listening to Guardenline if you'd like to call in ask a question, that'd be a good time. Kind of quiet out there on the phones for the moment. UH seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two k t H. I would like you to go to a website. I'm gonna give it to you, give it to you right now. It's Houston Powder Cooders dot com. Houston Powdercoders dot com. It is a very cool place. They take old metal furniture and they do it just I al would say make it like new. They make it better than new in my opinion. They transform it and they can do anything. And if you go to that website you can see all the different kinds of powder coating that they do. I'm primarily talking about the backyard here. I mean they do stuff powder coating for all kinds of things. They've got the equipment, they got the space to do it. But they can refinish your in repair by the way, your furniture, your metal furniture that's outside. They know how to do that, whether it's you know, getting off some russ, doing some welding, you know, to get it backwards, should be putting new fresh stainless steel hardware in from all that rusty stuff that you have, and then putting the powder coating on it. Over one hundred colors to choose from. What do you want your furniture to look like? Do you have any rod iron? Do you have any artistic rod iron in the back? Let them powder coat that and protect it. Go to Houston Powdercoders dot Com two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. Alright, so we're back. Let's talk gardening. What is of interest to you? What are the topics that you're interested in, Well, let's find out. We're going to go out to Kingwood and talk to John.
Speaker 12: Hello.
Speaker 3: John, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning, I have gotten too good morning. I want to ask you about the steps that you have to take to do a lawn aeration. I was thinking about rent and one of those cororators going over my friend. The lawn grows okay, except in two spots or I don't know if there was a tree there before they built the house, but it's kind of raised and there's a lot of roots underneath the soil okay. And I've had sod put out and it never.
Speaker 3: Would take all right.
Speaker 12: Oh, I was wondering if that would help any.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Once well, your side needs to be well rooted in before you run the erraator over it. And it's good to let it, you know, come out in the spring and get well established, you know, before you begin the process. But if you are ready to go and you get an erraator, you're going to need to get some compost top dressing to put over the lawn, and I would recommend a leaf mold compost. You're fortunate, being in Kingwood that you're just down the street from Warren's Rock and Molts right there in Porter there on the feeder Road fifty nine access road there and porter as your Yeah, that's where the airloom soils products are. So you can have them bring a super sack out or you can go get it, or you can have them dump it on the drive but you're gonna want to spread it out about a third of an inch deep, and so you know, you can use the calculator on the Heirloomsoils dot Com website to see how much that takes. I would get a little extra for sure, but first I would airate when the soil is moist, not soggy wet, but moist, because so if it's hard, you know, the little machines bounce over it like you're trying to erate your driveway. And if it's if it's just mushy, that's that's not good either. You don't want to mess with the soil when it's soggy wet, but medium consistency moisture is the time you don't do that. Airate well. And I'd go over all the areas, not just the areas that aren't doing well, but maybe the areas that aren't doing well. You'd go over them a second time just to get a little more errors in there, and then then put the compost top dressing down about a third of an inch d you may you can go deeper if you want, but about a third to a half inch would be good. Since you're doing it yourself, maybe go half okay, and then what that's it. That's it. If you haven't have you fertilized for the season yet.
Speaker 12: Any Yeah, I put some scots like got weed and feed down and the grass that does grow it looks great.
Speaker 2: That's probably.
Speaker 8: Maybe three weeks.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I would, I would say, so what are we We're kind of sitting here in the first week of April, probably late and later in April. Go ahead and switch and put down a slow release fertilizer you like Nitrophossi's super Turf, the silver bag, and that will cover you through the summer, even though you're doing the common post top dressing and the air ration. Go ahead and put that down. In fact, I'd probably put it down before I did all this, the aerration and compost top dressing. And then when you watered in, you should see your lawn ought to bounce back pretty quick and it ought to look really good. I'd love to hear about it too.
Speaker 12: If you end up doing all that, all right, maybe I'll take it before and after picture.
Speaker 3: Hey, that'd be wonderful. That'd be very good if you'd send me some of those. I'd appreciate. I seriously would appreciate that. Well, John, thank you, and good luck getting that place all right. You take care. Nelson Watergarden and Nursery out there in Fort Bend, I'm not Fort Bend, Katie. Fort Ben Road out in Katie is a wonderful place to go visit.
Speaker 16: They.
Speaker 3: First of all, they have an awesome nursery, all kinds of plants that you can see. But boy do they have gorgeous pottery. And they have pottery for those water disappearing fountains, you know, the ones that come on the top of the container and spill over the sides and then recirculate. They've got all of that. But the plants, the plant selection in the nursery is just outstanding. They've got Louisiana iris. In fact, I believe they got a weekend special going on on Louisiana iris right now, So don't delay on those. If you've got a wet, boggy area that doesn't drain well, Louisiana iris will be happy there, especially if it's a little bit of shade. They like a little bit of shade out there. But all your color plants that you're looking for are there, beautiful, beautiful house plants. Everything from outdoor plants like combo hanging baskets that just have like three or four different kinds of flowers in them. I mean they are just color color color out plus as they say, they got Chinese French trees too, by the way out there, and herbs and vegetables and everything you're looking for all right now coming up on Saturday, April twenty sixth, from five to seven, that's in the evening shelby from Nelson Plantfood. It's going to be out there, gonna have a sipping stroll. That's when they serve some drinks and life refreshments, have some live music, and it's just a wonderful time to go out. But anytime it's a wonderful not time to go to Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery Katie Fort Ben Road just north of the KT Freeway. We're going to head now up to Cyprus and talk to Matt. Hello, Matt, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 20: How are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well?
Speaker 6: Thank you great Hey, two questions for you.
Speaker 7: One dollar weed.
Speaker 6: I have some some dollar weed that's kind of growing in in some areas and I tried to treat it with weed beater, and uh, I can't the name escapes me on what else I sprayed on sprayed like the stuff that's supposed to stick to the the dollar weed for the weed beater and uh and yes, fact, sir fact, that's right, sir fact. When I sprayed that on there about four or five days, it just killed the entire area that I'm at, Saint Augustine and everything.
Speaker 12: And this is the second time.
Speaker 6: So I'm looking for a different solution than.
Speaker 2: The than the wheed beater.
Speaker 3: There are several formulations of weed beater, uh some of them. Uh, well, they don't all have exactly the same chemical in them, so it may have been the formulation of weed beater that you had. I don't know on that. But basically for the dollar weed, Uh, there are several products that will control it. Well, there is one that's a little more expensive, but you buy it in little packets that only make one gallon of spray because that's often enough for what you need to do. But it's called Celsius like the temperature celsius. Okay, and you go to a good garden center there, You're probably gonna find celsius in your area at some your local ACE hardware stores. You have several there in the Cypress area Ace hardware stores, but i'd call ahead of time make sure they have it. It's a little packet, a little piece of cardboard with a clear plastic over it and a little tiny packet inside. But that works pretty well on dollar weed, and I don't I'm trying to think that the celsius already has its own surfacting in it. That's another thing to watch your mix rates on both the herbicides and the surfactants that you're putting on. But dollar weed has a slick leaf, so the surfactants needed to get it to stick to the leaf.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 6: The other thing is is, so I bought some it looks like I have sedge moving in on some of the area. I assume it said. It's kind of a taller, real thin leaf grass. It's kind of fixed in now with my Saint Augustine.
Speaker 12: Okay, And I bought some some.
Speaker 6: Sedge hammer, but I haven't used it yet. A little concern is you know how to get rid of sedge without burning my get up.
Speaker 3: Okay, sedgehammer is the product to use for that. I'll tell you what. Just to be sure, if you would like to take some good close up pictures, I would even pull some of what you think is sedge up and lay it down, like on a brown kitchen table or something, and take a good picture of it so I can see it up close. Make sure it's in sharp focus. And let me make sure we know what we're talking about, because the product you would use for like nuts edge is maybe different than the product you use for kai linga, which is a type of sedge, or it could also be some other grass like plant that looks that we're talking about. So let's just be real sure. If you'd like, I'll put you on hold here in a bit and we can you can get my email to send me a photo to follow up on this call.
Speaker 12: Oh that would be outstanding.
Speaker 20: Yeah I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, alrighty, well, let's do that and take it from there. But you pick the right product. I have a publication on my website called Nutsedge an in Depth Look, and it goes into some detail. You may have yellow or you may have purple if it is nutsedge, and so you might want to read that just to kind of get familiar with it. It goes into some detail that's important to know.
Speaker 6: Okay, we'll do appreciate the advice here, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Matt, you take care. I'm putting you on hold and Jonathan will pick up here and we'll be we'll get you that email. Let's see. Yeah, it's always important to identify weeds properly, and some weeds can look like other weeds. They can't, I mean they do, and poor identification means you're wasting money, you're wasting time, and you're not going to get good results. I was talking about Microlife products earlier and the microbes they contain. Microlife makes a product called micro Grow liquid AF. Microgrow liquid AF. You can buy it by the gallon if you want to. I believe they have it more that they do have it by the quart as well. But it contains eight different specific microbes that are beneficial to the plants. They're very beneficial in terms of helping protect those plants. So whether you're solving a problem or or preventing a problem, this is a good way to go. Streptomics trichodermas and basillis. They have several different types of bacillis in there that are all good and so you give a good drench over your plant root system with that, and that really does help a lot. They recommend that you put a little bit of micro Grow liquid AF with a couple ounces of molasses and a gallon of water and then just d it over. Are you You can also spread those products on the leaves as well. Micro Grow Liquid AF from the folks at Microlife one of the many liquid products that Microlife sells. Now. If you want more information, go to Microlife Fertilizer dot com. I'm going to head out to Katie now and talk to Shaho. Hey Shah who welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 18: Good money. If Kip, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Thank you? How can I help?
Speaker 13: All?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes? How can I help today?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 18: I have some issue with my lawn basically since last year it's kind of gone bald in many places. And uh, I wanted you at Kai on that, you know, doing the regular things with some linkedinin. I hired a lawn management company. They spend I mean I spent money for one year. Didn't really happen anything on that. So okay, I I mean I'm kind of queen for a lost source of you know, replacing the sword or something like that.
Speaker 3: Who I'm sorry to interrupt you, but we're about to go to a break. Could you hold on and I'll come back to you when we come back. Thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: What's all right? Is the weather that we're having. Oh my gosh, I got so happy looking at my weather aut this morning. Actually kind of on the cool side this morning. We're going to be a very cool day as well. Nice to be out and get some things done in the afternoon. By the way, tomorrow and the next day and the next day it is sun, sun, sun, and the kind of weather that you want to be out in. So I hope you're planning on some things to spruce up the garden and the landscape. Just a little bit of word to the wise. And you don't need me to tell you this. You already know this, but I'll say it anyway. Kind of when your parents did that, it's like, yeah, I know, I know, but they have to say it anyway.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, anyway, weeds are easier to control when they're young than when they're older. When they're a little bitty tiny weeds, you look at them and you go, oh, that it's so bad. I'll get to them. And then the next thing you know, they're knee high and it takes a back hoe and a jackhammer to get them out of the ground. And you'd be easier to control when they're young. When they're young, I just throw a mulch on them. I really do you know. You got a little weed that's an inch even two inches high, and you just throw a bunch of mult over the top, a good thick layer to block all the sunlight, and it takes care of it. And most of the time most cases are some weeds that'll come through it. But then they get a little older and you can take a hoe, or even when they're young, you can take a really good sharp hoe and slice right under the surface. Don't disturb the so much, don't chop the soil, just slice underneath it and that takes care of them, and then throw a mulch on it. Wherever sunlight hits a soil, nature plants the weed. And the earlier you decide to control weeds, the more options you have. So let's say you're an organic gardener, and you don't want to use synthetic herbicides, well, vinegar will burn plant tissues. Vinegar is an organic herbicide, but an established weed, vinegar typically will kill the top but may not kill the whole weed. It may re sprout from the bottom, especially a perennial weed. But when you catch weeds when they're young seedlings, vinegar kills them. It just kills them because they just don't they haven't set up shop yet in a way that they can. Okay, fry my top, but I'm going to re sprout from the base. They haven't done that yet, So that would be another reason why the earlier the better. The earlier the better. I don't care if it's diseases, insects, or weeds. The earlier you step in to do something, the better it is. And not a life principle too. About some of the issues we face in life, we let them go a little too long and ooh boy, out our hands full now. Well, anyway, you know what I'm talking about. Without going philosophical, let's just leave it at weeds. Earlier is better, and what's the best is the earliest, which means you keep that soil molt because wherever sunlight hits the soil, nature plants a weed. Just remember that we were visiting with Shohop before we left. We're going to get some pictures from him to take a look at some of the issues that he has so I can help him better. You know, on guard line, I don't just give the email out because I can't have everybody that listens to Guardenline send me emails. I could never even begin to answer all the emails. But when it's related to a call, either a call that has come in or a call that's going to come in, I don't mind you having an email to email me the photos and the question so I can take a look at him. Sometimes you're describing a spot on a leaf, or a bug on a plant, or a weed in the yard, and you know, I'm trying to picture it. But I know that sometimes what you see and what I hear are not the same thing, and so or what I picture in my mind's I So a photo helps. Photos when you send them should always be in good sharp focus. Photos should be in good sharp focus. Photos should be in good sharp They say threes the charms, so I have to say it three times good sharp focus. You send me a fuzzy photo, I'll give you a fuzzy identification. You don't want a fuzzy identification, so check it. You know your phone sometimes focuses on something that you weren't intending for it to focus on, so make sure it's good sharp focus. Photos should be close. Now, it's good on like a yard situation, to see the whole yard, just so I kind of get a big picture of you. But let me get up close. The closer to the problem the better, especially if it's something tiny in like a little insect or something like that. Let me get close, because there's even identifications that I need to get really close on plant parts to be able to see and identify. But I'll be happy to do. And then just follow it up with a phone call and here to guardline, and we'll be glad to visit with you, and I'll give you a better answer that way. I want to remind you too of something and I should talk about this ever show, but I you know, things get by on me. There's a thing called the Agrolife Extension Service here in Texas. Now every state in the Union, back in the days of Abraham Lincoln, were given a couple of several things. Actually they were given. First of all, there is a Land Grant College here in Texas at A and M it's LSU. And in Louisiana, Oklahoma State Cornell's a Lang Grant College, University of Florida, and so on. There's lang Grands in each state. Now with the Lang Grant College to teach the people, they also later developed the Extension Service, which was basically to take the university to the people. So farmers out on a farm aren't going to go to the university and get a degree, but people could come from there and bring examples of new varieties or new ways of farming, and they would do a demonstration on the farm, and then all the farmers in the region could come to that farm and see it. Did it work, did it not? You know, what is a good new kind of corn to grow? Or whatever it was. It's an ingenious system and it helped create the agricultural system we have now that feeds a lot of people. And then, of course there was a research that was added to that too, a number of different acts by Congress. In county of every county of Texas is served by an Extension office. Now, if you go way out into Texas, it may be that one office serves two different counties. But over here, every county has an extension office, and in some of the counties you have a horticulture agent too. Other counties you have ag agents that have to handle horticulture also. But Montgomery County, Brass County, Harris County, Fort ben County, Galveston County, over in Orange. Who am leaving out? I'm probably leaving one out as I'm thinking through the area. Brazoria. Brazoria County has a horticulturist as well, and you can go there often. There's master gardening programs which you can train and be a volunteer master gardner, or you can talk to master gardeners to help you with some of the issues. But take advantage of that. It's in your county and it's good advice. That's connected to research based information at the university level, and that is really important, and I don't think people take advantage of that enough, but I hope you will. We're going to head out to Houston now and talk to Gary. Hello, Gary, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: Thank you very much. I got in the vehicle and turned it on and I think you had just finished discussing killing weeds in the yard. I don't know, but anyway, I know I've had a hard time knocking them down. I've got bownetal and clover and different weeds, and I need to find a product that goes after that, not just fertilizer.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the cool season weeds that you're seeing now, like clover, for example, those are about to die, and so trying to spray them once they're blooming and setting seeds is a little bit of a difficult kill, but it also leaves the seeds they've already set there. So as much as possible, if you can pull those out and with the seeds real carefully, put them in five gallon bucket or something and get them off the property, you will do yourself a huge favor for next fall when the seeds sprout and you're back in the same situation next spring. Now, next spring, much earlier in the year, you can do stuff where you're not hand pulling them. For things that are perennial, like nettles. Some of the nettles are perennial, you need to put something on them that will translocate down and kill the whole weed because they're the underground plant parts. They'll come back from those and broad leaf post emergent products will kill those. I have a publication on gardening with skip dot com on herbicides. I think it says right now herbicides for the weed wiper. Anyway, if you'll go there, you can find the kind of weed you have and it'll tell you the products that will work. Gary, I got to go to a real quick break. If you want to hang on, I'll continue this discussion when we come back.
Speaker 12: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All right, you are listening to garden Line. Oh you're actually listening to Brad Paisley. Now you're listening to garden Line. One way to get They glad to have you if you if you've got questions about gardening, We're going to be around until ten o'clock the day, so you got time to call in and visit with you about the things that interest you. Southwest Fertilizer has been a Houston garden really tradition, a lawn and garden tradition since nineteen fifty five. I'm the fifth garden Line host to speak for Southwest Fertilizer. They've been around a long time supporting garden Line and therefore helping you have an opportunity to listen to gardening advice on the radio every weekend here in the greater Houston area. Celebrating their seventieth year, So happy seventieth birthday. Southwest Fertilizer. You know the products that I endorse on garden Line, the products I talk about, the things that I say, oh well, you need to go get some of this, they're all at Southwest Fertilizer. They carry everything. If they don't carry it, you don't need it. That's how I like to put it, whether it's a fertilizer, a weed control, insecticide, or a fungicide. And if you're sitting there thinking well I'm organic, those are all synthetics.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 3: Southwest Fertilizer hear this. Southwest Fertilizer has the largest selection of organic products in the Houston area. So if you're looking for any kind of organic we control, pest, disease, insect you name it, They've got it there. They have a ninety foot long wall of gardening tools, quality brands like Felco and Corona. That garden kneeling seat that I keep talking about, if you want to make a weed wiper, skipsweedwiper. It's on my website gardeningskip dot com. If you want to make that, they've got the little grabber tool that you use to make it. And yes, there's a and kind of grabber tool that works best for making those. He's got those there. Baptist carries everything nice seed selection, both in packets and in bulk. You can do the little scoops out of the bulk seed and it's a very economical way to get seeds. Do you need your equipment serviced? They have an equipment shop there in the back. They can sharpen your blades too, and boy is that ever important. I just changed a blade on my my lawn mower to a nice sharp blade and who it looks so much better and it cuts easier too. It works well. So quality products, expert advice and old fashioned service. That's Southwest Fertilizer Corner Best Nutt and Renwick seven one three six sixty six one seven four four. We're going to go now out to Memorial and talk to Elaine. Hello, Elaine, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Good morning, skip Hard today.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, thank you good.
Speaker 20: I am noticing a perennial weed called scurvy weed that is raising its ugly head again in my flower beds. And I've been dealing with it for years and really have tried to choke some of it out just by putting Asian jasmine things like that that will choke it out. Is there any herbicide that I can selectively spray on this to keep it at bay?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Boy, that is a tough one. If the weed that you're referring to is what I think you're talking about, something in the wandering jew family. It's also called day flower. That's another common name for these kinds of plants. And it's like they're caught between broad leaf and grass. They're neither really good a broad leaf or a grass in terms of the way they function, So products that go after one or the other don't work very well for them. Yeah, of course hand digging, but they the pieces break off in the ground, so it's very difficult to hand dig them unless you just stay on it, and and that that makes it very very difficult to do. I'm gonna have to look and see what the best option would be for those on my website I have let's see, I have a thing called Skips weed wiper, and if you go there, it shows you how to build one. I was just talking about it. Southwest Fertilizer has the tool that you build it from. It's real easy to build. I mean, you don't have to have a shop or any tool skills to do it. And that weed wiper is a really really helpful thing for weeds like this because you can wipe the product right there onto the weed itself. Okay, And so you know, if you have something, you know, if you're going to use a product that would kill everything, you know, round Up kind of product kills everything. Well, if if you have the weed wiper, you can just wipe a product like that onto the weed to kill it without getting it on desirable plants. And so that's one of the reasons I had that little publication on there. So what products are going to be the best to use, I think probably other than trying to continually handig and control them. And a post emergent product like the glyphosate, which is one of the brands is round Up. A Roundup no longer has glyphis eate. I know that's confusing. It should be confusing because it's silly that they would do that. There's another product called gluphoscinate. Glue phoscinate is another ingredient. Now I'm going to make it easy for you. Go to my website, Guarding with Skip dot com and look for a publication called Herbicides for Skip's weed Wiper, and they are there. Like so, if you look for glyphas, it's no longer round up. They're the products that contain it that are on the publication. If you look for loop fascinate, it names the products that you'll find in the garden centers too, that are glue fascinate. For example, I would do one of those two so that you know that some people get a little benefit from two four D products on it, but I would try those other two first. And just know this, you're going to need to stay on it. You're gonna need to stay on it, but don't spray these because both of those will kill everything. Two four D will kill any broad leaf weed you have or broad leaf desirable plant that you have also. So that's why the weed.
Speaker 20: Wiper okay, very good, Well as I said, it has yeah, yeah, it really does overtake. And the more you dig, unless you can really dig down to the tap root, it does break off, and then then it begins to spread even more.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, I know the physical control is you know, hand removing anything can help. But in this particular weed, you probably go crazy before you get rid of it, that's for sure.
Speaker 20: Okay, well there'll there's another season for battle.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 3: There you go, all right, Thank you. Appreciate appreciate your call very much. The folks at Nature's Way Resources they know how to make quality soil products. That's where many of our well known products were born, like leaf mol compost. You hear about it all the time. That's where it started. Nature's Way Rose soil, That's where it started. Nature's Way Resources They no matter what you're looking for. Do you need some quality malts to put down, They've got quality mulches. Every Friday they have a Fungal based compost sale. Fungal based compost sale and it is ten percent off for the bags and it is twenty percent off for the bulk from Nature's Way Resources. Now you can go get it by the bag or bulk. You can have them deliver bulk to your property, or you can go around to the mini garden centers that carry Nature's Way products and purchase by the bag. There go to Nature's Way Resources dot Com. That's it, Nature's Way Resources dot Com. If you want to give me a call nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. It's good products, good products that I've used. I got a bed that just recently I did a lot of mulching with Nature's Way products in it. I've been very pleased. I love the look of a good natural, non dyed mulch, and that is what they have there in many different forms. If you're looking at creating a container with beautiful plants for the outside, there's a product that Nitroposter distributes called jungle Land Flour and Vegetable Planting Soil Flour and Vegetable. That's the outdoor soil. Indoors, they have jungle Land water saving potting soil. And the reason it's called water saving is that as low crystals that swell up with water. Kind they like little bits of jello is kind of what they look like, the very tiny and the roots can get around those, and when the soil gets dry, they have an extra source of water. Right there, works really well now, Jungle End product or nitrofoss products in general, you're gonna find it places like Plants for All Seasons on Luetta and I forty five North, excuse me not I forty five Luetta and two forty nine, thank you. On the northwest side. That's Tomball Parkway. You're gonna find them at Fisher's Hardware on Southmore and Pasadena, the Fishers on Broadway and Laporte, and the Fishers at Mount Bellevue on FM thirty one eighty. And it works very very well. Alrighty, well, let's see, oh I wanted to mention Nitrofos Superturf. Nitrofos Superturf is a nineteen four to ten fertilizer in a silver bag that works for sixteen weeks, a long time. It's time to put it out. It's on my schedule at gardening with skip dot com. Get you some super Turf, follow the label, put it out, and you are set until the fall fertilization comes, especially if you return those clippings. And I already tell you night Foss products are available all over the place, especially when you go to an asardware store. You're gonna find typically a night Foss products like the super Turf silver bag. Well another hours in the books. We come back for our last hour in just a moment. I want to remind you that next Saturday, Next Saturday, the twelfth, I'll be at RCW Nurseries. RCW Nurseries is at the corner of Tamba Parkway, FM two forty nine and belt Way eight. I'll be there from noon to two. But don't eat before you get there. Show up. They're gonna have a barbecue lunch. They're gonna have refreshments ten percent off all their roses. Oh my gosh, right there. That that's cool. Bring your samples and pictures and things. Let's have a good time helping you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH Guarden Line with Scape Richt.
Speaker 21: It's son.
Speaker 1: Trip.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as.
Speaker 5: Us so many good thanks to spots.
Speaker 3: Us back again, not a sign.
Speaker 14: Sun.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, we're back. We are back for the last hour of garden Line for today, last hour of guarden Line for the weekend. For those of you who are new to the show, first of all, welcome, glad to have you. We are on from six am to ten am on Saturdays and on Sundays every weekend and it's a calling show. This is about you and your garden. So what do you want to talk about? All you have to do is give us a call a seven one three two on to kt RH if you like to dial by numbers seven one three two one two five eight seven four, and we can visit with you about the kinds of things that are of interest to you, if you are interested in a diagnosis or identification or those kinds of things. Sometimes it helps to send me a picture ahead of time, and you can do that by calling the producer, getting an email, sending the picture in, but then follow it up. I will not be answering the question that you email, but I'll have the picture there when you call and we can enter it that way. Because I'm unable to just time constraints, unable to really handle the volume of emails and questions that would be coming that do come in as a result of that. So that's another option for you if you'd like to do that. My goal here on guarden Line is to help you have success that would help you have fun too, to make gardening a hobby that you really really enjoy, and you know what, one of the cool things one of them many cool things about gardening as a hobby is is that you can do whatever corner of the gardening world do you want to do. I mean, you may be into the big and the gaudy, the tropicals and just giant flowers and colors and all of that. Good do that. Maybe your gardening is all done indoors. You've got some moth orchids and you're looking at new kinds. You're trying to grow some unusual special plants under the lights indoors, like African violets and a pieces. By the way, we never talk about apieces, but that's a cool plant too, to grow indoors. Maybe you're into edibles. If you can't eat it, you don't want to grow it, so herbs and vegetables and fruit trees are your thing. Maybe you would like to try bones eye, where we take a tree and make it a little miniature tree, and it's just kind of a little tending hobby that's really fun. Do you see what I mean? I mean, I'm just throwing examples out from all over the world here. Gardening is a great hobby, and no matter what you're interested in, that's it.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 3: Most people just want a pretty place they want to drive by and be proud of the place they have. They want to sit in the backyard and enjoy the sights and the smells and the sounds of gardening. And you can do that too, and we can help you have success.
Speaker 8: So here we go.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, we left the gate open. Phone's let up.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to Margaret first off the top of the bat. Hey, Margaret, how can we help you today? Welcome to garden Linehi, Well.
Speaker 14: Thank you Skip. I'm so glad to talk to you.
Speaker 4: I am recently one hundred percent in charge of my yard and so I have two questions. The first, as I do with the Zoysa grass that my Saint Augustine was replaced I'd say about ten years ago, but it looks like it's getting a few bald spots, and I'm also getting some weeds in there as it's coming back, and so I'm just trying to and I've also been told that the best way to mow it is actually with an old fashioned hand push mower. So I'm just trying to get a handle on the best way to take care of the zoisia.
Speaker 3: Okay, is there any chance you know the name of the Zuysia variety that you have.
Speaker 17: No it was planted.
Speaker 3: It's okay if you don't. Yeah, do you know that nows Zuysia has come in two types. One type has a broader leaf, a little wider than bermuda grass. The other type has a very narrow leaf, narrower than bermuda grass. Do you know which of those it might be?
Speaker 4: It makes me think of bermuda when I see it. That's more what I that's that's kind of where my mind goes.
Speaker 12: I think it's.
Speaker 4: I think it's actually narrower.
Speaker 3: Okay, a fine texture. Zoysia, So a couple of things. First of all, Zoeza is a very tough grass plant. It's think of it more. Oh, this isn't a fair description, but think of it more like jute twine. So you need a good sharp mower to cut it, you know, and for it to cut and do well. So a good sharp mowing blade is important. And a moderate amount of fertilizer, not even as much as you would use on Saint Augustine, but it does need to be fertilized. Zoisio grass. The more often you mow it, the better it looks, and the shorter you mow it. The more often you have to mow it. Now, because it's a dense grass, you can get into certain types of disease problems. You know, all grasses have the potential for disease, and it could be that something like a take all patches in there could be some other type of fungal disease that's going on. Without seeing a picture of it or seeing a sample of it, it's kind of hard to know for sure. And I don't know what part of the Houston area you're in, but wherever you are, all up in the woods, okay, Well, it's an excellent grass for your area. And it puts up with quite a bit of shade too, not as much as Saint Augustine, but pretty close, pretty close to it. So I don't know if we're looking at some disease issues and I should send you out to spray a fungicide on it, or if this is just some other type of thing. The little bare spots are they very small, and the whole grass blade just turns tan brown, or its larger and more irregular.
Speaker 4: You know, it's irregular, and it's almost as if the grass is not coming back. And I did fertilize it.
Speaker 3: Okay, so okay.
Speaker 4: And then I noticed the other day when I was raking up I have an oak that just dropped a million leaves recently. And I noticed when I was raking up some of the debris that it was almost like it wanted to come up, like I could pull it up, Like it wasn't well real.
Speaker 3: Good, yeah, all right, well, Margaret, I tell you, I'm not going to be able to give you a definitive answer here. My gut feeling is it's probably a combination of shade that weakens the plant a little bit because you can't get the energy, and maybe take All root Rot. If you go to Gardening with Skip dot com. That's my website, Gardening with Skip dot com, there is a lawn pest, disease and weed management guide. Look at the disease line at take All Root Rot, and I would follow that. It won't hurt anything. If it's not take All Root Rot to follow it. But I think you may have some disease in there, and that would be what you want to use, and the information is on there, but I'm gonna have to run. I do appreciate your call, though, and I wish you I wish you well with that. Well, wow, this this is going kind of quick here on this next or this first segment. Those of you out there, Jim and Meadows Place, you'll be the first up when we come right back.
Speaker 1: Just like your car, the new iHeartRadio lot now has presets everything I listened to in one place. You get Houston's news at time, saving information when you need it.
Speaker 21: It's the easiest way to listen to ktr A.
Speaker 1: Download or update our free I Heard rate apps today.
Speaker 21: Are you a business owner, CEO or responsible for marketing. If you are, iHeartMedia can help you reach your goals and find new customers. We reach more consumers in your target area than anyone else, and we can give you access to those potential customers more cost effectively across radio, digital, podcasting, and social. We'd love to show you how iHeartMedia can work for you. Get started today by calling eight four four eight four four iHeart. That's eight four four eight four four.
Speaker 5: iHeart Nesting Season is here. It's time to offer Wildbirds Unlimited as exclusive nesting super blend to our feathered friends. Wildbirds Unlimited six locations will help you attract birds right now. Find the wild birds Unlimited. Closest to you at WBU dot com forward slash Houston.
Speaker 3: Oh honey, I'm already involved. I'm sitting here witness to it.
Speaker 18: He shit, she said.
Speaker 2: Then slap each other upside and here and now.
Speaker 21: They both in jail and they gotta get oop steam out and clean their apartment.
Speaker 3: We have for bar laflus ye hi.
Speaker 22: I'm Jenni Fisher. A little over a year ago, during a routine mammogram and ultrasound, I was diagnosed with triple positive breast cancer.
Speaker 17: Caught early.
Speaker 22: Many common cancers have survival rates well over ninety percent. The Screening Time Off program encourages employees to take time to step out for screenings. Be the world's best boss. Join Screening Time Off, Learn more and sign up at Working with Cancer pledge dot com.
Speaker 9: How far would you go to enjoy a refreshing pond about your backyard?
Speaker 1: I'm Anita and I'm Peter from Nelson Nursery and Watergardens.
Speaker 9: Pons are watergardens that feed your soul.
Speaker 1: Design to fit your backyard and budget.
Speaker 9: Low maintenance plans and stunning coy and goldfish pons transform backyards. We make them easy design installation. We can build yours or help you do it yourself. Start at Nelson Nursery and Watergardens. You can us at Nelsonwatergardens dot com.
Speaker 19: The fastest way to know what your home would sell for today is from a power home team of Keayler Williams. Simply text your address to eight hundred seven sixty three three thousand, no phone call, Just text your address to eight hundred seven sixty three three thousand to get your home's value.
Speaker 23: Military veterans and active duty service members, you could become a certified cyber warrior with just twelve weeks of training at my Computer Career. Cybersecurity specialists are in high demand and IT Pros with these skills often enjoy abundant opportunity and a great lifestyle. Protect our people, liberty, and treasured institutions from cyber threats. Skill Bridge and other VA benefits are available to those who qualify. Learn more at my Computer Career dot edu slash CWP. That's my Computer Career dot edu slash CWP.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, we're back. Welcome back to the garden line. Listen, it is time to do your spring fertilization. But generally when we're talking about that we're talking about the big macro nutrients nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, but it's also a good time to get out azamite. Asamite is a trace mineral supplement its mind out of the ground up in Utah, and it contains trace minerals things like boron, for example. You never see that on a fertilizer bag, but asimite does contain that and many others. Now, a bag of asmite covers about six to twelve thousand square feet ALA because you're just using it at a very very low rate. That's what trace minerals are, but that doesn't mean they're not essential because they are. Build your soul bank account with azamite. You can go to Azmite Texas for more information, and you can pretty much go anywhere and find it. Nurseries, garden centers, feed stores, ace hardware stores, Southwist, Fertilizer, all these places are going to carry asmite. I was looking in my back patio yesterday. I had a little stagnant fountain there that I just kind of cranked up and started running and didn't really get it cleaned out good like I should, And it was sitting still because we had the fountain off and I looked and because it was still, mosquitos laid eggs in it, and there's little wrigglers in the water. Now what do you do, Well, you can treat that water. You can use a mosquito dunk in the water to treat it, or you can go long term and call Pest Brothers. And why do I say long term, because they'll come out and set up a bucket that not only attracts mosquitos to the bucket, so they lay eggs there that will never turn into mosquitos because it's got the substances in it to stop that. And then when the mosquitoes fly off, they have something that's a fungus attached to them that's going to kill the mosquito. Not good bugs, just the mosquito. It just works some mosquitoes. And then they can they carry something to the little bits of water, like my little fountain for example, it gets in the water. Mosquitoes can't reproduce there either. That's pretty cool. Pest Brothers has it. Of course, Pest Brothers does termites, they do wild varmits, they do any kind of pest control you need, from the woodlands all the way down to Texas City from Baytown all the way across to Katie. Thepestbros dot Com thepest Bros b r os dot com two eight one two oh six forty six seventy. I'm gonna go out to Meadows Place now and we're going to talk to Jim. Hey, Jim, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 18: Morning. Skip quick question.
Speaker 2: I have about ten foot twelve inch high foxdale fern in my flower bed looking to improve their growth. Uh Internet recommends a three two one fertilizer. What's the best granular or liquid fertilizer you'd recommend for those foxtale ferns.
Speaker 3: You know, Jim, the ferns are pretty flexible. You just don't want to use a lot of AsSalt based type on them. You can go with an organic product like a microlife type product in there that would do fine. You could go with a synthetic product that has mostly the nitrogen is the more important, but has a little bit of the other two numbers and it'll do fine too. Just don't overdo it. And ferns they are especially happy to live off of decaying organic matter and the soil and getting the nutrients from that too. So just a little boost with some nitrogen primarily is what they need.
Speaker 2: What about adding a little as of mite too, that.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't hurt, But just stay with the label rate. It doesn't It doesn't take a lot of the azmite to do that. I would probably say, And I realize your area isn't this big, but on a vegetable garden, we go ten pounds per thousand square feet, so one pound per hundred square feet, and a pint's a pound of azamite, So a pint of azamite per hundred square feet, and then you just you know, take it down whatever size your fern.
Speaker 2: Area is, Okay, Ok, appreciate the help.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that. Yeah, thanks for the call. Appreciate that a lot. Let's go now to Bonnie and Claire Lake. Hey, Bonnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Well, good morning Skip. Yesterday I didn't work in the garden because it was raining, and so I ended up at Moss Nursery and ended up bringing home five Peggy Martin Rose this they're about three to four feet. I wanted to because they're gorgeous right now right, and so I wanted to cover the fence line and thinking of my thirty to forty feet a fence line in the back of our house, and so just wondering give me tips on planting. How far apart the plant do I need lattice behind.
Speaker 3: Them, So that's the lattice tends to ride away, even if it's treated wood and time, it kind of rides away. I like to use any kind of a rail fence I think looks especially attractive for them, or livestock panels. I've used those as well, you know, in their wire galvanized wire material, but just something to support them. But something strong, because Peggy Martin puts out a lot of growth, and any kind of a vining rose or any vining plant needs a good strong support, you know, as far as how far apart. In order to get a faster coverage between them, I might put them somewhere between maybe twelve and fifteen feet apart. They'll easily cover that and then some but that that gives you a little bit faster coverage. If you put them further apart, they cover more area. But you know, it's just a trade off between how many roses you're going to spend money on and how far of an area you need to cover. So there's not an exact number for Peggy Martin, but she will sprawl. I've got one on my trellis in the back and it's now going that's probably gone about eight to ten feet and it's not at all finished its growth.
Speaker 8: Okay, So a couple other questions.
Speaker 14: Should I untie them, you know they're all bound up when I plant them? And also do you recommend fertilizers? And how large the hole should be? I think I have a gallon thought.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, make a make a hole about twice that big, put in some compost material and the whole bed before you dig the hole. Don't just put compost in the hole. Put it in a wide band across there. Plant them in the ground, same level, same depth that they were.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: And as far as I'm binding them, I wouldn't do that. You know, go ahead and have those trunks come on up and then at whatever level you can start to train them out to the sides to make a wall of foliage or whatever you're going after, whatever look you're going after.
Speaker 14: Okay, perfect sounds great, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, thank you. I appreciate, appreciate your call a lot. Let's see here, I wanted to just a second. Oh, I know, I want to tell you about Buchanans. Buchanans plants. Buchanans plants has a specialty in natives. I mean that nobody has as many natives as buchanan plant does. But if you're looking about for annuals like gamprina and zinias and petunias and Kleomis and Solosia, aageridam and cosmos in Angelonia and large burn America, you see what I'm saying. They've got all of that kind of stuff. You got shady areas not a problem. Not with Buchanans. They've got kalladiums and a bazillion other plants that do well in the shape they have a whole area where it's two shade plants that do well. How about house plants, every kind of foliage you can imagine, cacti, succulents, trailing string ofs fill in the blank. They've got all of that. Did you know there is a spring cactus. You used to call it easter cactus, but spring cactus that's like Christmas cactus sorta, but it blooms at Easter time around Easter time. They've got those there. You need to get some of those. Those are really cool too. With Buchanans, you know you're going to find good selection, you know you're going to have good advice, and you know you're gonna have a good time because it's a fun place to wander through and no matter what question you have, if you want to grow natives, you can walk in there and go, hey, I want to grow natives, but I want to grow natives that attract hummingbirds. They probably have a list of I don't know, two or three dozen plants that fit that bill. It's a place to go. It's on eleventh Street in the Heights. Go to the website. Please bu Cannons Plants dot com. Sign up for the newsletter. Please, you will really appreciate it. So much good information. And yes they know about brown stuff before green stuff. You can get your full line of microlife and nitrophos and Nelson products. You can get heirloom soils and their own special soil blends. There to set the foundation for success. We're going to head out to talk to Deb now in the Woodlands. Hello Deb, Welcome to garden Mine.
Speaker 14: Hi Skip.
Speaker 17: I have a flower bed that has shamrocks in it, and typically these shamrocks come up. They're very very green, and they have the beautiful little white flowers, the little dainty white flowers on them, except for this year. Okay, this year they look terrible. They barely produce any flowers. And right now they're looking very very yellow. And I don't know, with the fluctuating weather that we've had, you know, from ninety to now to whatever it is today, I don't know what the problem is. And they seem to be dying back, which is the case for them in the summertime. They do die back because they get it gets too hot.
Speaker 12: But are the.
Speaker 3: Go ahead? Are the leaves on them? Are the leaves on them deb like very small compared to normal under the blooms small compared to normal or are they this normal size or close to it?
Speaker 17: Well, I'm not getting very many blooms at all, but the leaves might be a tab smaller than what they have been in the past. But they're not happy, and there's there's something wrong there and I don't know what it is. And they are starting to that's all.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a hard plant to kill. So something is wrong in the soil. Something something's wrong in the soil. Deb It could be that conditions are a little too wet for them. It could be some sort of a root rot down in there. You might try taking a shovel and digging one of the little clumps up and just looking at it. They have low bulbs on the bottom, and are they Are they nice and white and healthy? Are they looking kind of like the brown gray black like a cigarette filter stain, you know, that kind of ugly stain color, And that would be a root rot color of those bulbs. And if it's a root rot, there are drenches you can put in the soil that fight that root rot, but usually it's brought on by conditions that are just too wet for them. I don't know anything else that would kill those plants there. People call me to ask how to get rid of them because they're hard.
Speaker 1: To get rid of.
Speaker 17: Well, they are. They have been scattered throughout my backyard and they were from a plant, one little plant pot that I dumped out in the yard years ago, and then we had to take down a pine tree and they got scattered throughout the yard. I mean they're typically, yeah, they everywhere, Yeah, And I have some along the that are growing where they weren't put and they're growing just flye but they're not blooming.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but they are green.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to put you on hold. I'm gonna put you on hold as we go here, but if you want to get an email and send me a pickure of them, If I have any other thoughts, I'll let you know on it. I kind of think you need to do that dig up and check the bottom. Why don't you do that before you send me the pictures? And maybe if I think it's a root rot, I'll recommend something in the email. Okay, thanks a lot, Depp, appreciate your call. A lot. Up in tumble is a feed store called D and D Feed. It's been around a while. It's been around since I think nineteen eighty nine when the Dovers opened it up up there. It's west of Tumbull, about three miles from two forty nine as you go in west and it is a store that for gardeners carries everything you need in terms of fertilizers from nitrofoss or fertilizers from Microlife or Nelson turf Star or Medina products. If you're looking for the jars of Nelson plant food. If you're looking for heirloom soils. They even have lots of vegetables and vegetable seeds and get various kinds of plants in there, seasonally high end dog foods like Origin, Diamond, Victor Star Pro. And of course it's a feedstore, all kinds of quality feed. Three miles west of Tomball two forty nine D and D Feed and spring is chick season. Go to their website and look they tell you each week all the varieties in Boy, are there a lot of baby chicks that are coming in. So if you'd like to have backyard chickens, you need to know about D and D Feed two eight one three five to one seventy one forty four two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. I'll be right back. I'm going to take a little break here and come back to your calls.
Speaker 2: You all agree, all.
Speaker 3: Right, welcome back to the guardenline. Good heavy with us. We are going to dive back in here. We got just a half hour of the show left today. Nelson Plant Food produces a number of quality ingredients equality products that just work. I mean, is as simple as that. Every time I've tried a Nelson plant food product. I found that it works well, it works successfully, It gives the results that it's supposed to give because they're specially formulated. Do you know, they use a lot of different sources of nutrient, for example, nitrogen. Some of the products have like five different kinds of nitrogen in them to give that nice slow release to do the things that you want done with your plants, where there's more flowers, more production, more beautiful green foliage. They've got a line called Nutristar, and that includes specifics for specific plants like the hibiscus and tropical or flowering tropicals. Nutristar Hibiscus and flowering tropicals. I don't care what kind of hibiscus you have. It's even good for things like Zara, the rows of shareon the hollyhocks and althea rows of Sharon, althea, the Texas sage, some of the mallows mini mallows, those are all in the hibiscus family. It does really well with those. Now what happens is when you put it down, it's got multiple acidifying sources to ensure not only an even nutrient release, but also a moderation of that soul pH that these plants benefit from. It's got high potassium levels which are very important for not only hardiness and cold, but also in water and nutrient uptake and flower quality as well. So that's a nutri star line the hibiscus and flowering tropicals. How about the color Star line. That's been their most popular fertilizer for forty years now, and the color Star Plus has an added systemic fungicide in it moves into the plant and gives longer preventative protection than just a standard type of fungicide in it. Of course, the color Star is all purpose flowering food for anything that has flowers, annuals, perennial shrubs, trees, really use on any of those plants. It's got fast acting effects and it even has some organic nutrient sources that really enrich the soil. You put Colorstar Plus down, you're going to get a slow release for about three or four months. Again from the folks at Nelson Plant Food. Let's go out to Montgomery and talk to Marie. Hey, Marie, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 24: Hello Skip, Skip, looking for the ideal NPQ or fertilizer for my flowering vines. They are about two years old. I have the Carolina jasamine star jasmine and coral howey suckle. And I've been applying the six two four acid of fire, but I'm wondering if I can improve on that.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's an microlife product you're talking about, right, and kind of a yeah, pinkish bag, Yes, that's yeah, yes, would I would just keep using it. It's got an extra boost to the first number, nitrogen, and that keeps vines vigorous, and it keeps them, you know, producing new growth. And many of the types of vines produce their flowers on the new growth or last year's growth, and so it depends on which type of vine as to which way it is. But the bottom line is you want to keep them growing, so you keep them producing cycles of flowers whenever their normal flowering season is and sixty four the acidifying would be perfect for all of those. I would just keep using that if I are you.
Speaker 24: How often should I use that?
Speaker 3: You know, I would watch my plants and see how Yeah, I would see how they're growing. I mean, if it looks like they're just growing wild, then they're happy. Just let them be. But you know, as you want to boost growth a little bit, go ahead and give them some. You could do that as many as I don't know, three or four times during the year on plants, or you could just do it once or twice. So there's not a black and white in the book description on how often you would use that. But I would let the plants tell me, Hey, I think I need to give them a little bit more of a boost and watered in real good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 24: And I'm surprised that my Carolina Jessman is looking a little bit chlorotic. Should I give it iron not? Or should I give it maybe a little bit more fermilizer.
Speaker 3: When a plant looks chlorotic like that early in the season, the soils tend to be a little on the cooler side than they will be in summer. We often have a little bit of that. If the pH is a little high, it can make it chlorotic. If the iron levels are a little low, that can make it chlorotic. And if the soil is a little soggy and cool, that can make it chlorotic. So I can't tell you exactly why. When you look at the plant, and maybe you I don't know this right now, but when you go out and look at it, is it the new leaves that are looking yellowish or is it the older leaves that are looking more the old leaves. Okay, so that's not iron. That is not iron, that's not acid problem of highph that's not on iron deficiency. That is just older leaves that are being cast off. And a lot of plants that are semi evergreen to evergreen, they have seasons where they cast off the older leaves. Now certainly getting dry and then wet again whatnot can cause that you and see that on Apotheus ivy in your house. When it gets dry and then you water it, all of a sudden after that the older leaves start turning yellow and falling off. That's just part of the soil moisture fluctuation. I wouldn't worry about it a lot unless it's severe. Your plants are probably fine. That's a native plant. It's tough Carolina adjustment, and I think it's going to be okay, wonderful.
Speaker 14: Thank you so very much, Skipping.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All right, Marie, thank you for the call. I appreciate that. If you've got a hanker in to do some outdoor containers, and I hope you do. I like that word hankering. By the way if you got a hankering to do outdoor containers, a couple of tips. Number one, a big container, more soil volume, more growing media volume means so when we get into our hot summer weather, you're not watering three times a day to keep the darn thing alive or out of stress. More soil is important. Good drainage is critical. That's number two, and number three is a good quality soil mix that also drains well but holds moisture. Jungle land, flour and vegetable planting soil is just like the name implies. If you're going to grow it in the container outdoors, you want jungle l and flour and vegetable planting soil. I don't care if it's a flower or vegetable or not. That is the soil you're going to use. And it's going to drain well, it's going to hold moisture well. It works. You're going to find it as well as other nitophce products in many places. You go to a place like M and D Beamer down in Sagemont, or you go to D and D Feed and Tomball, or you go to Plants for All Seasons, the one where Luetta and two forty nine come together. Maybe Ace Hardware and Sinco Ranch or auspas Ace up in the woodlands. These are all places that carry night to FoST products. I'm going to go down to Eagle Lake now and talk to Nancy. Hello, Nancy, Welcome to garden line.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 14: I have six or seven ten to twenty foot crate myrtles and I went out to feed them, and there are giant fire ant beds at the base of these trees. Do I put the regular fire killer on it?
Speaker 8: Or is that going to hurt my trees?
Speaker 3: Yes, if it's a base or a drench that's made for fire ants, it will not hurt your crate myrtles. It will not. It will now what I would do. It will not hurt your crate myrtles. If it's a product or for fire ants, it's not.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 3: If you pour boiling water on it like some people do, well, yeah, that's that's different. But the products won't hurt. Here's the thing, though, Use a bait. That's the most important. It takes a little longer to work, but it does a better job. You can use mound treatments and they will kill that mound. But around your yard, especially after the rain we just got. You're gonna see fire ants popping up everywhere that you didn't know we're there because they're working underground that they hadn't boiled up to the surface yet, if you will, and a bait gets even the unseen mounds, which is why it's better to use a bait on an infrequent basis A good good bait product over time to manage your fireant problems.
Speaker 8: Okay, what's the bait?
Speaker 3: A bait and bait? Oh yeah, yeah, you're yeah, you go to go to your u. Let's see how you're not too far away from Uh, how far is Eagle Lake from? I haven't done Eagle Lake on a map ever since while so left the lake, I've lost track of where they are. Remember while seed out there was that cool or what?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: Let me hang it, let me just oh okay, well all right, so let's me okay, Well, you probably are going to find a fire ant bait at Nelson's water gardens and Katie, that would be a good place. I'm sure that you could find it. Uh, it just depends on you know what direction from Eagle Lake. If you're pretty far out there, you go down to I know in Wharton, there's an Ace Hardware store in Wharton, and you got some other Ace hardware stores in that general area that are going to carry them. And it may be Andro, it may be called Extinguish, it may be there's a lot of brands, but there are fire ant baits and follow the label and you'll have success. Okay, I've got to run. I'm up against a hard break. Yeah, thank you. Have a good day. All right, folks, I'll be right back, David. Your first s up? All righty, welcome back to garden Line. We're going to jump right in here. Last segment of the day and of the weekend. Hey have you been to Growers Outlet? And Willis? I tell you about it all the time on garden Line. If you're in Conroe, the Woodlands, even up in New Waverley out at Lake Conroe. Oh gosh, April Sound all those neighborhoods out that way, that whole region. Growers Outlet is a really cool garden center. They have a lot of good stuff, everything you would expect from a good garden center. Right now, they've got some beautiful Peggy Martin roses that have come in. They have some beautiful Chinese fringe trees that may be one of the most popular trees this spring, and for good reason. Growers Outlet and Willis has the things you need. Do you need flowering plants? Do you need vegetables? Do you need fruit? They've got those. Do you have a for example, a beautiful bugainbe hanging basket or a giant macho fern hanging They have some good giant macho ferns that get in every in the warm season. As things warm up. They probably have a few of men right now. As a matter of fact, Growers Outlet in Willis Grower, that's the website. Growers Outlet in Willis one of the few places you can go to a garden center and you look and it tells you here's what we have in stock, and here's how much it costs. Really nice. I'm glad they do that. I think that's a really cool idea. Let's head out now. We're going to go to Tomball and talk. If I can turn my mouse around the right way, talk to David.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: David, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning, sir Hey.
Speaker 13: For the last two years I've been putting down the barricade religiously and this year.
Speaker 3: Right now, it seems like they left at.
Speaker 13: An ingredient or something. I've got the healthiest weeds in the neighborhood, and I'm going, did I do something wrong? And what can I do with some right now? Because okay, I put fertilizers down, I got the greenest grass and the greenest weeds ever.
Speaker 6: So I mean, it just seemed like something went wrong with me.
Speaker 3: You must have missed one timing somehow. I don't know. Barricade stops the seeds from becoming weeds, and so maybe the weeds you see right now you would have had to do barricade in last October, early October to stop them from coming up. Now, the post emergent you can do post emergent products. But as we get further and further into the season and all those weeds are blooming and setting seeds, the post emergents don't work as well. And so that leaves us with the unhappy task of him pulling the weeds out to try to get all those seeds out of there, or just wait, they're gonna die quick anyway, and you know, mow and ignore them and deal with the extra seeds next fall. With the barricade application. Do you know that by any chance? Do you know the name the types of weed species you've got some.
Speaker 13: Of them I've got, I've got, I've got tons of bullmetal I've got I've got these little grassy things that got little purple flowers, and I got these.
Speaker 12: Little grassy things.
Speaker 13: I got some little yellow flowers, and then other stuff as well.
Speaker 12: But I mean, it's like an infestation in my yard, and I'm going, good, what did.
Speaker 3: I do wrong?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's if it's grassy, you know there's not there's not a post emerging spray to kill the grass in the grass without killing your lawn grass. In other words, Uh so, uh, you know, David, I don't know on this one. Probably the best thing would be for me to look at some of the weeds, specifically pictures of them and things. I'm going to be at RCW Nursery next weekend from twelve to two on Saturday. Next Saturday from twelve to two. If you wanted to bag up a bunch of those, bring them down, let me look at them, and let's let me have an eye on them and really give you a better answer than I can do. Kind of guessing at what you might have out there well, and have the product on hand to bring me your weeds. All right, now, I know, I know, you know guys a lot of times, you know, they'll get flowers and bring them to somebody as a gift. Not many guys bring people weeds. But I'm asking you to do that. All right, bring me a bouquet. I'll see you next Saturday. Hey, don't eat lunch. Yeah, me too. Don't eat lunch because they are going to have barbecue sandwiches and some refreshments and stuff. So you get a free lunch out of the deal. You bet, all right, Bye bye. If you're looking for a product that is organic that dissolves into the soil and really turns your long green, Sweet Green is a product that can do that. It is a molosses type based product. So it's carbon chains which make beneficial microbes really happy. Smells great by the way, and it's it's pretty s by nitrophoss and it therefore, it's available all over town. I mean, you know, you go to places like Langham Creek, Ace Hardware on five twenty nine, Court Hardware on South Maine and Stafford m and d out there in Rosenberg on Avenue. I these are all places that carry nitopos products like the sweet Green, and it does work. I do like the smell.
Speaker 19: You.
Speaker 3: Normally you don't talk about furlies. We don't talk about how they smell, how we like the smell. But that's a good one and with that eleven percent nitrogen you get a really nice boost of green. I was mentioning all those ACE harder strokes. You know, ACE is the place that's their motto. ACE is a place. Sure, atleast it used to be the motto probably still is, but ACE is a place for it. You fill in the blank. ACE is a place for lawn fertilizer if they carry the products you hear me talk about on Guardline. ACE is a place for pest control, disease control, preventative weed control that's pre emergent, killing existing weeds that's a post emergent. ACE is a place for all your outdoor equipment, power equipment, you know, everything from extension courts to strings of lights to a just beautiful ambiyonce creating things for your back patio and indoors as well. ACE is the place for that. You can go to the website ACE Hardware Texas. Don't forget Texas dot Com. Acehardware Texas dot Com and our local Ace Hardware group is there. When I say local, I mean we got ACE Hardware's all the way out in Orange and all the way up in Willis, and all the way over in Victoria and Rockport and Galveston and certainly all around the greater Houston area. Here find your Ace Hardware. Maybe one like Brenham Ace Hardware out there in Brenham, Texas, all Star Ace Hardware and Spring Victoria, Acehardworo on Novarro Street, the K and M Ace Hardware and Kingwood, Wharton Feed and Ace. I was there a goodwill back when they had the grand reopening going on out there, bake Cliff Lace on Grand Avenue in Bakecliff. YEP, there's a lot of Aces, Ace Hardware Texas dot Com. And when you come out of there, you're going to have the stuff you need to have a beautiful, bountiful garden and landscape. Always like going into Ace hard Restrict, So it always surprises me what they have. You know, I'm in there for gardening stuff, that's my primary reason. But I'm telling you they have so much more. This is not your grandfather's hardware store. This is all the cool stuff from Grandpa's hardware store, but a lot lot more new cool things. Year around Houston dot com is a company that specializes in core aeration and compost stop dressing and for our garden line listeners, they focus on the area inside the Beltway. That's a big area, so all of you and there's a bazilion of you living inside the Beltway. Year around. Houston dot com is the company that's also the website year round Houston dot com. You can give them a call at eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five or go to the website year round Houston dot com and find out more of the use quality screened compost that is, and they do a good job of variation too. By the way, Uh, it's no stink to it. I mean it just goes down, looks good and makes your lawn come alive. It breathes life into the soil by opening up those holes with corrotion and then dropping some quality composts down on top of it. One of the most important things we do to our launch to have beautiful success if you've got compaction, corrooration, compost top per center to go. All right, well that's the last song of the day for me. That means skip you better hurry up, time to go. I'm going to be at RCW Nurseries next Saturday from twelve to two. Come on out and see me. A barbecue lunch there for you, provided by RCW and refreshments. They're going to have ten percent off on their roses next Saturday only. It's a one day sale, so come on out and see me. Of course we'll do the diagnosis and the identification and helping you the things we'll visit about the plant things you want to see that you're going to see a beautiful nursery. You have lots of beautiful plants as well. Look forward. I hope you can make it out there next Saturday, twelve to two. RCW Nursery