Speaker 1: For a plan to recognize the injustice of what had happened to Bonnie was quite amazing, really, and this is not going to start this. This diminutive woman with the flaming red hair say you're singing by song, and he was taken aback by it, and he did the right thing. He helped her, he used his influence and he got recognition for her that the song is actually all her and nobody else.
Speaker 2: We're totally booming rock and roll.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll leave you. You're reading Little Hands says it's time to rock and roll, roll out.
Speaker 2: I totally booked. Welcome back to Book Down Rock conversations with authors, musicians and insiders revealing the stories behind classic rock's greatest songs, albums and artists. And if you enjoy the show you'd like to support it. You can sign up for the Book down Rock Backstage Pass on Patreon for just five dollars a month. You get every episode commercial free for everyone else. Just use the link in the show notes or visit bookd on Rock doc Now onto our guest. A key figure in the folk music boom of the late nineteen fifties, Canadian born singer songwriter Bonnie Dobson wrote the folk classic Morning Do in nineteen sixty one, but after another artist wrongly claimed co writing credit, she spent decades fighting to reclaim the song that became a standard for everyone from The Grateful Dead to Robert Plant. Author John Aynerson joins me to discuss take Me for a Walk in the Morning Dew, the remarkable story of Dobson's career, her influence on folk music, and her long battle for rightful recognition. John, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thanks Eric, nice to be here.
Speaker 2: The introduction opens with Bonnie's triumphant return alongside Robert Plant in twenty thirteen, then works backward, making it feel almost like the final scene of a film, a great movie, before revealing how she got there. And a great moment in the introduction is Plant admitting that he had no idea Bonnie had actually written Morning Do until she literally knocked on his door. Can you talk about this story? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I just absolutely love that story, and Bonnie enjoys telling it as well, because he lives She lives in Primrose Hill in kind of a bit of North London, and he has a house, he has many and he's spending a lot of time in North America nowadays. But he has a house, you know, just about two streets over from her Primrose Hill, and yeah, he had in interviews with him, he talked about how he was very much aware of the song, you know, going back to going back to the late sixties, and how John Bonham played in a bandon that backed up Tim Rose, who's the guy that we're going to be talking about, and how much he loved the song and he said he did it in other bands on his own as well, and then he covered it on an album of covers and I credited to tim Rose. And that's the crux of really the whole story is how tim Rose was able to get his name on the song and it went from being Bonnie Dobson to Bonnie Dobson and tim Rose to tim Rose, Bonnie Dobson to tim Rose period. And so she kind of lost control of it that way, and it was her battle to get it back. But what's what's funny, and I didn't really play this out in the book, is let Zeppelin have a terrible record for stealing other people's music. You know, they said, I always think of Babe, I'm going to leave you off. The first led Zeppelin album, which was written by Ann Breddon who was a folk singer. Joan Bayez recorded it on a live album and that's where that's where Jimmy Page learned the song, and it was credited to Ann Breddon. But then a few years later let Zeppelin do it, and there is credited to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and Anne Bretton had to fight for years to get to get her name back on. And so what happens is it now, says Anne Bredon, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, is if they were all sitting in a room together writing the song, you know, and also stealing Willie Dixon songs and Howling Wolf and that sort of thing. So for for Plants to recognize the injustice of what had happened to Bonnie was quite amazing, really, and it's not going to store this. This diminutive woman with the flaming bread hair at you say you're singing my song. And he was taken aback by it, and he did the right thing. He helped her, he used his influence and he got recognition for her that the song is actually all her and nobody else.
Speaker 2: It's a great story and the title of the introduction is thank you for helping me get my song back. And that isn't really about so much royalties. It's about identity, right. I mean, as you researched Bonnie's life, did you come to feel that reclaiming authorship was ultimately more important emotionally to her than it was financially.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's exactly right. It was for her it was, you know, this is my property. I wrote this, and I just want to be recognized that I am the writer of it. It wasn't financially motivated. But you also have to keep in mind that that Tim Rose was taking a percentage of the royalties on that song song credits, so that that was important but always secondary Bonnie. Bonnie lives comfortably. I mean she still gets wrowthies from morning dew and other things that she has done. It was recognition that this is my song and not anybody else's, and that he had no right to put his name on it and take credit for it. And it's the credit for it that really is the crux.
Speaker 2: Of it all for her. And she worked with you to tell the story for the book. What was your first conversation with Bonnie, Like, did she immediately embrace the idea of telling her life story and the story of the song. Where did it take time to earn her trust?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of history that goes into this book. I mean I was first aware of Bonnie Dobson thinking about sixty five, you know, and seeing her on television performing with folk music in Canada, folk music songs, Oscar Brand kind of shows and that sort of thing, and hearing Morning Dew, which I think came out about sixty three or so on her third album. But I was aware of the story around it and aware of the fact that it was a controversy involved. I mean, I became more aware of the controversy when as a hard rock guitar player in sixty eight playing in a band that did the Jeff Beck Rod Stewart version of Morning Dew off hit the Beck Truth album and it said Tim Rose on it, and I knew it wasn't just Tim Rose or it was Bonnie Dobson, and so that the whole story of it kind of started for me from there. And even though The Grateful Dead had recorded it a year before, I didn't come to their album until sixty eight, after the Jeff Beck group one and there again you see tim Rose in there as well. So I knew about her and I knew about her career. But when I was writing a book on Ian and Sylvia, who were very much a part of the folk boom of the late fifties into the mid sixties and of course four strong wins of like Canada's unofficial national anthem, I interviewed Bonnie. I got a phone. I got a phone number for her in England from a friend. I called her, upset him doing the book in eaton Sylvia. You were contemporary, you knew them back in the day. And she was lovely to talk to, very open, very insightful, and we kept in touch over the years. That was about two thousand and nine, and every few years I'd give her a call and say, hey, how about a book. You know you have a story to tell, And I said, morning do. It is a song that's never going away. It's going to outlive you, it's going to outlive me. People are still going to be covering it. But you need to set the record straight on all of that and talk about your life. And she was, I mean, I didn't know at the time. When I would talk with her, you know those in those intervening years that she was I mean, her son took his own life, her third husband died, and so she was dealing with all of these things and you know, and issues raising your children. So she kept saying, no, I'm not ready, I'm not ready, but I I guess what are we? Twenty twenty six, twenty twenty five. It was late twenty twenty four, probably December. I think I gave her another call and she was more open to it because she had gone through all of this and she felt it was kind of time. And it worked out well because I made arrangements to go and spend a week with her in London, and her album with the Hanging Stars called Dreams had just come out and it was getting tremendous attention. I mean, it didn't sell a lot because it was a small label that didn't have distribution great distribution, but it was really getting great reviews and articles on Bonnie. So she was going through a bit of a career renaissance. So it's kind of like the planets aligned and everything came together and it was the time to do it. And it was also important to her that the book not be all about Morning dew because there's more to her as a traditional folk artists and then as the singer songwriter. I mean, she really developed into a very gifted songwriter. But a lot of that stuff nobody knows about, and it's it's a fascinating life. And whenever I'm doing books, I'm looking for the human interest story in it and the ups and downs that you know, in someone's life. It's more than just a music story. I mean, that's why I write. Yeah, I wrote a book about Arthur Lee, and I wrote a book about Gene Clark because these people have had fascinating lives, you know, Ian and Sylvia, Randy Backman in there too, So that's what that's what really drew me to want to tell tell her story. And the timing was right, as they say, for her to want to do it. And she was a little trepidacious at first sitting down with me, and I'm you know, I'm trying to take her through her life and asking you know, pointed questions and insightful that sometimes deep questions, of course, but she gradually warmed up to it. And you know, after the four or five days that we had spent in her kind of kitchen slash living room. Going through this, she said at the end, you know, this was a marvelous experience. Thank you so much for doing this. It really brought a lot out of me that I'd kept inside. But it also kind of rejuvenated me too. So I mean it everything came out well, The book came out well. Body is very happy with the book. I'm very happy with the book, and I think it tells more than just a music story. It's a life story.
Speaker 2: That Arthur Lee story. Boy, I love to talk to you about that book. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the one of the things about the Arthur Lee book was I first he was passed away, of course, and I approached his widow through a friend and she was she she was kind of okay to do it, she said, you know, it's time. But when we met in California to do interviews with her and all the other guys from Love and Other and other associates, she said to me, you know, Arthur tried writing a memoir. No one's there read it. So she posts this thing out of a drawer and it's Arthur talking about his life and his career in love and all of that. The no one's ever seen. So it wasn't principle as it was. I mean, Arthur kind of defamed a few people in it. It allowed me as Arthur would. It allowed me to have his voice in the book in ways that I wasn't just picking old interviews. It allowed me to every other interview was new, but this now was new Arthur. And I think that's a real strength in the book, is having Arthur's voice talking about things in a way he never talked about them before in interviews.
Speaker 2: And Robert planned a big fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely a bit.
Speaker 2: The first time I've realized that was when they did a tribute concert to Arthur Lee, like twenty years ago, right, I think right after he passed or oh.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it was around the time that he was sick and going to be passed for sick medical bills, and Robert platt Ian Hunter and a number of other artists flew over in their own dime rehearse band and played the show and all the money went to the Arthur to help defray his medical expense. He had no healthcare. Musicians don't have health benefits.
Speaker 2: Well, let people know where they can go to find all of your books, but for this one, it includes not only Bonnie's recollections, but perspectives from people like Robert Plant and lifelong friends. How much detective work was involved in tracking down those voices and was there any interview that surprised you the most.
Speaker 1: Well, I always like to paint a broader picture, you know, cast a wider net and a broader story. It's kind of like, I know how I feel about myself and the things that I've done, but how do others? How am I perceived by others and the things decisions that I have made, And it really paints a broader picture, a wider picture, more insightful picture of the subject, the topic or whatever. So I would like to I always like to do that in all of my books, and it helps if you have the cooperation of the subject. Of course, with Arthur Leave with dead and with Jean Clark, he was dead too at the time.
Speaker 2: He hasn't come back.
Speaker 1: But Bonnie then had people so that she should see. She suggested, I contact.
Speaker 2: How many seashells by the seashell I know, don't get me started.
Speaker 1: So she had a list of people and they were all very open to talking about Bonnie. She I mean, she's got a million friends all over the world. So that helped a bit, and you know, there are some people you've got to chase after. But the other realization is that Bonnie's eighty five. She started her career in nineteen fifty nine. Many of her contemporaries, other than say Bob Dylan, they passed away, so that made it a little more difficult to do that. But again, if if you approach people right and you tell them that this is a this is a book that's really looking at the life of this wonderful person that you the interview person knew and knew well then that they were open to talk about it. But you know, it's I really wanted to talk to Bob Weird from The Grateful Dead. I mean, I would love to have talk to Jerry Garcia. I mean he's obviously been dead for a number of years, but sadly Bob passed away before I got the chance to do that, and we were kind of going through various channels. I mean, it's not the kind of guy that you say, hey, Bob, I want to talk about money. You know, he has These guys at a certain level of rock star fame have a lot of a lot of walls around them. And and a lot of people who filter all of this out. But I was. I was getting closer to him, and we were about to set something up through one of their emissaries when he sadly passed away. But I was fortunate to get Dennis McNally, who is the grateful dead archivist and writer of books, and he, you know, he is involved very much in all the archival albums come out and again, as they say, the book, and he was wonderful. He had tremendous insights about what Morning Dew meant to Jerry, he said, and I have it in the book too from Dennis. There was some kind of a tribute to Jerry being put on, and I don't know if it was bands or just playing music or whatever. Not long after Jerry died in San Francisco and the organizers came to Dennis and said, you know, what do we do for a closing song? We don't know what to do, and Dennis said, don't be silly. It's Morning Dew is Jerry's favorite song. And so they closed with that, whether a game, whether someone played it or whatever. But it would have loved to gotten Jerry or Bob. But unfortunately things happened that way.
Speaker 2: That's how I discovered the song, the Dead version Europe seventy two, then heard the Beck version, which is phenomenal, but there's some great versions.
Speaker 1: Devoy well Bunnie doesn't like the divo.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's quite interesting. I mean I didn't hear it until just literally literally today, just going through a playlist of all the different versions. But yeah, a lot of different ones. One of the biggest surprises in the book is her childhood, which she lived in government housing behind a chain link fence. How important was it for you to established that she wasn't simply a folk singer, but somebody who had actually experienced poverty and social inequality firsthand.
Speaker 1: Y That was actually a revelation to me too, because various short form biographies of her over the decades have placed her growing up in Scarborough. Scarborough in Toronto is a I know, it's an England too, Scarborough and Toronto. It's a nice suburb and it's nice homes and middle class and all of that. And so I went in with that, and she said, oh no, no, I was born in an old army barracks just on the outskirts of Toronto, surrounded by chain link fence. They were former barrackses during the war where soldiers were you know, lived, and they were mostly made of cardboard, and they were bug infested, you know, sharing shower facilities and all of that. That was a revelation to me because I didn't know that she'd never talked about it before either, And I think it did inform her in many ways, informed the character that she is because she came to she came to understand what poverty was really like, you know, and what doing without was really like. And there's lots of people who are very wealthy and they said, well, I'm for the poor people. I understand that, but no, you don't unless you lived. And she did live it, and more importantly, she got out of it. She managed to escape that poverty cycle that exists and a couple with that too. Her parents were together in a part together, a very dysfunctional family. Her mother was an alcoholic, her father was an avowed communist. So it presented a lot of problems that she overcame. I mean, she was class valedictorian when she graduated school, and she got she couldn't afford to pay for university, nor could her family, so she got a scholarship to go to the University of Toronto, and now she didn't stay after her first year. Serendipitously, a music career, you know, sprung up in front of her and she took it. But you know, one of the questions I asked her, I think it's the answers in the book. I said to her, you know, how did it feel standing on the inside of that chain link fence and looking out the broader world out there? And she said, it was like we didn't belong there. And when we take the bus home and the bus would stop by the army barracks places in the chain link fence and all that, the other people on the bus judged us. We were poor, we were trash. And that obviously had an impact upon her to improve her life, you know, and and good for her that she did.
Speaker 2: And her father introduced her to protest music Pete Seeger Paul Robeson. She ultimately developed her own worldview rather than simply adopting his. How did you see the tension between influence and independence that shape her as both an artist and a person.
Speaker 1: She's she's very, very stubborn. She is ther own person. She makes up her own mind about everything, and her dad was Her dad was smart enough to say to her, you know, you don't have to be a communist, you don't have to be religious, you don't have to be this, you don't have to be that. Just choose what you want to be. And she grew up around communism and he believed strongly in it and was devastated years later. I guess, you know, when when we started to learn the real you know, the reality of communist Russia and communist China, and was quite devastated by that because he grew up to bel it was like it was utopia's idea, that was Paradiser's perfection. And she questioned all those things. And she credits one of her elementary school teachers who said, don't accept everything, question it, ask go to the sources, find out what this is all about. But what's fascinating too is when she went to get an American green card, they had a dossier on her dad and obviously from the RCMP, and so the Americans had information about her dad and they and they had information about her being with her dad at rallies and things, and she had to really explain herself to American authorities in order to get that green card, and having that green card was so important to her she never wanted to lose it because she'd never have a chance to have a career with without it. But she's what fast fascinating. Was scared her was just that the RCPP had been following her dad for years and her and her sister probably too, because her sister was involved even more so in communism and rallies and all that sort of thing. But she developed her own perspective on life, and that's that's the way she is. She's she's very she's extremely well read. She's a news junkie, and she reads and watches and takes everything in and then forms her own opinions on everything.
Speaker 2: She could have been a journalist, she could have she could have been as investigative. Mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have also been in prison for being a communist.
Speaker 2: One of the things that's interesting about her story too is maybe the younger people that are watching this or listening right now, they may not know about this, but in the early folk revival, writing your own songs was almost frowned upon. You know, folk artists are expected to preserve tradition, not add to it. How difficult is it for young readers to appreciate just how revolutionary somebody like Bob Dylan and eventually Bonnie herself really were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're right, You're correct with the word revolutionary, because folk music was. It started out as music of the people, because that's kind of a broader definition of folk music. But it was based on traditional music and music that told stories from the past, from history, and you know, it was education, educational and it also inculcated some some some of the ideals and ideals of you know, the way things used to be in society and all of that. But you, yeah, you didn't write, you you research folk music. You dug it up. And even Bonnie went to Ottawa to study at the National Archives to find all these old songs that had been there and and song books that were passed around. She even got the People's Song Book, which was you know, kind of marching and rallying songs and union songs and all of that. And that's how she started her career. And as you say, nobody was writing songs then, or at least not not in any kind of a a big way. I mean, she wrote a song called Ben's Lullaby I think on her second album it was just it was a little, sweet little song for a little boy who was the child of a friend of hers. But she was not immune to what was happening in the world. And she was very much influenced by the movie On the Beach, And that's a movie I think from fifty nine or fifty eight, and it's about, you know, what is the world like after a nuclear holocaust? How do people deal with it? And you know, the key scene in the movie is a husband and wife and they're about to have a baby, and it's like, well, do we want to raise the baby in this environment? What do we do? And all of this impacted on her, and you know, again a woman who didn't grow who had been following a career of traditional music, ended up writing a song that really brought together all of the themes of her life to that point, whether it's a about government, whether it's about society, whether it's about war, and the whole band the bomb thing was happening at that time too, and just the idea of you know, what is the nuclear winter going to be like? So out of that one night, out of a discussion with it with a number of other folkies. When she was in La playing at the Golden Bearer. The ash grob that all of this came to a head when she went back to her where she was staying and wrote the song, and being a game, being someone who grew up with folk music that was traditional and not written, she phoned up a friend and said, I've written a song, you know, like like puzzlingly. I can't believe it, and she said, do you want to hear it? And so she sang it over to the phone to her friend Janie and said to Jennie, well, what do I do with it? And she said, oh, you're going to have to record it. The song is great. But she went back. She recorded that song, of course, and it showed up. She played it, you know, from sixty one on in her live shows. It was published in Broadside magazine, which was a mistake on her part, and it was recorded on her third album. But she continued the traditional folk route of traditional folk music. She always would record at least one or two French Canadian songs under albums, and the folk songs that she researched and performed and recorded were songs that nobody else really knew about and that's what made her interesting. It was her choice of material, and she would arrange the songs herself too, so it's not like it was a revelation for her, Oh I'm now going to be a songwriter. Because even then, like you say, no one was writing songs. I mean, Dylan changed the game for everybody. Woody Guthrie could write songs, Pete Sieger could write folk songs because they had gravitus and they had history. But you, the folky playing at the bitter End this week on the acoustic guitar did not have the right the right write r I A. G HD to write r I T. E. W. Wright to write folk music. And again when Dylan started that, I mean that it took some convincing for people to accept that because you had the traditionalists versus this this new folk artist writing his own material. And once Bob Dylan gained acceptance, I mean even even take his first album, Bob Dylan wrote two songs on that album.
Speaker 2: The other song, yeah, yeah, that A lot of people say. The second album is really his.
Speaker 1: First it's absolutely for him. For a number of reasons. He met Susie Rotelo, who's the girl on the front cover of the picture and she became as mused. She got him reading books, she got him reading newspapers. I was fortunate to interview her before she shortly before she died, for the Ian and Sylvia book, and she was an absolute delight. But she said Bob didn't have any social conscience or awareness. But once he started reading the news papers and reading books and educating himself, that's where the Bob Dylan we know, blowing in the wind, the times they are changing, all your masters of war, all of that came out and the trajectory of original folk music just went up.
Speaker 2: Bonnie had some memories of Bob Dylan. She's got some great stories in there. One is where where he's typing what may have become boots of Spanish leather. He would tag along and go to an alehouse, pulled out his guitar. Bartender tells him you can stay, but the guitar has to go. And he's an unknown, you know, so that they don't know who he's about to become. But also she remembered a different Dylan from what was depicted, particularly in the recent film, Like he was more he was almost like a stand up comic on stage back in those days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had apparently a lot more personality. I mean, it's too bad we don't have any of the live performance as a recorded of him. She said he was more fun and he was more on off stage too. Again, he was just like everybody else then. He was just a guy who loved folk music. Who was you know, we're scrambling to get gigs like everybody else was. And he found he found his voice as you and I both second album. But the story about him in the restaurant and the guy saying you can stay, but you can stay with the guitar has to go. I mean we were sitting around we've been done an interview and Bonnie said, talked about something. Well, I remember the time we were and she just told the story matter of fact, and I said, money, that's gold. He also complimented her on morning Do in passing.
Speaker 2: The lyrics are walked me out the morning dew, my honey, walked me out in the morning dew. Today I can't walk you out in the morning do my honey. Also talks about hearing a baby cry. I heard a young man mourn this morning. So it's somebody that's waking up in the morning after a nuclear bomb devastation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nuclear bomb. And it's it's a dialogue, yes, you know, I assume it's the woman talking first and then the man replies, I can't take you out in the morning. Do your babies cry? It's it's a dialogue between the two the couple in the movie. That I mean, she invented that. Of burse, that dialogue didn't exist in the movie, but she took the context of it and wrote it in that way of discussing, well, what do we do? We can't?
Speaker 2: You know, everything's changed. There is no morning anymore, right because they want to They want to go on as if life is normal, but it's not anymore. Now. It ends with I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. So what do you make of the ending there?
Speaker 1: It's very fatalistic. I mean, there is no world left. We're never going to have We're never going to have the life we had before, So what does it matter now? What? It's kind of like saying what future do we have now? Anti nuclear war songs didn't really exist in sixty one when Bonnie wrote it. Uh. Protest folk music was really drawn around the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War thing. Wasn't on anybody's radar yet at the time, So Bonnie was taking a topic that not many other folk singers had had addressed in any way at all. That kind of separated her from from everybody else. It is definitely a protest song, for sure, without a doubt. But it's it's protest. Its protest is on a theme that remains. I mean, it's it still resonates today. You know why why the United States in Iran it, you know, ostensibly to end their ability to make nuclear bombs and blow everybody on Earth up. So the song has remained timely, you know above some above Dyllan songs aren't as timely anymore. I think the times they are changing and blowing in the wind have stood the test of time, but many of the others have not. And you take a song like the Buffalo Springfield for what it's worth. You know, there's something happening here stapay, what's that sound? That's a song that's tied to the nineteen sixties. And it's not a song you I mean, if you hear it, it's it's intended whether it's a movie or a documentary on radio, it's intended to harken back to a period of particularly a period of time of protests and anti Vietnam war and student protests and riots and that sort of thing. So it's hardwired to a period of time. Morning Dew isn't. Morning Dew has been able to remain important, significant, relevant ever since, and that in many ways is very sad that, but the truth is still there that we still live in fear of all of this.
Speaker 2: What is it about the song that makes it so endlessly reinterpreted?
Speaker 1: Too?
Speaker 2: Because you have versions by the dead Jeff Beck, Nazareth and Devo as we mentioned, all found something different in it. What is it about the songwriting that makes it so endlessly reinterpret it?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the nature of the song in that the lyrics appeal. I mean, the lyrics and the theme generally have remained. I mean, we can talk about how tim Rose changed the one line in it, but the message remains. The message resonates, but it's so much so open to interpretation because it's a very simple folk song. It's just Bonnie on guitar and she's just fingerpicking chords. But the message is strong. So the message appeals to artists. But the arrangement that she has allows them to be able to arrange the song and the music the way they see it, the way they want it, the way they envision it. And of the almost ninety different cover versions of that song, they're so different everyone. I mean, Nazareth, I like their version. I also like their German version. I don't speak German. That it's you know, to do that kind of thing. But when you look at the breadth of all these cover versions, the interpretations all change, but really only one of them goes back to the original, and that Serena Ryder. She went back to the original opening lyric take Me for a Walk in the morning do. Everybody else And even going back to The Grateful Dead has it as walk me out in the Morning do. And that goes back to Fred Neil in sixty four, and he was one of the first to cover the song and he felt that take Me for a Walk in the Morning dew was was too wordy and he felt, you know, to get you know, kind of the lilts and flow of the song, walk Me out in the Morning do fit better. And every cover since then, Devo, there's a heavy metal version from France somewhere, and all these different versions all use that. What that says is all these artists heard the song from probably The Grateful Dead, possibly Jeff Beck, and probably Tim Rose. They didn't hear Bonnie's version. They don't know Bonnie's version, they just know the cover versions. I mean, that doesn't take away that she wrote the song. She still wrote the song, okay, but it shows that The Grateful Dead and I'm gonna say Tim Rose, they're the ones that really spread that song, even that even that four note introu that that first appeared on the tim Rose version. I mean, you hear it everywhere. Almost every one of those cover versions that you mentioned you were kind of trolling through, they all have that that dumbu which body never invented. I interviewed David Robinson, who produced it for tim Rose, and he said, oh, his mine, I came up with that idea of those four notes. Okay, yeah, that's I'm sure Jim Rose would say he did it, but that's that's universal.
Speaker 2: There's one I heard of by Lulu, which I thought was great and I never heard it before. It's got xylophone on there, he's got marimba's it's got a horn section or is it xylophone? That I'm hearing no remembers the Lulu.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's bizarre, It's really bizarre. And you know what a hand in that arrangement was John Paul Jones.
Speaker 2: Oh really is that when he was a studio musician.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He arranged Lulo's records. What year would this be, sixty seven? It's sixty seven. Wow. Why do you think the Dead version has become the definitive one? Is just something about Jerry's interpretation.
Speaker 1: Of it, Yeah, I think so. But also the fact too that there were Dead fans all over the world, sure, you know, everywhere, and they would have picked up on that song from the first album. But as you say, you got it off of the live album seventy two. The Dead recorded that song either live or in a studio four times, so it's never gone away. So you can have young people picking up on the Dead now from some live albums from even the seventies or eighties, where they'll hear Morning Do and that's that way. So they have and Bonnie very much acknowledges just this too. They have allowed the song to continue to be heard generation after generation, whereas not Bonnie's version has that Bonnie's version hasn't gone as widespread. But the Dead took that song and made it, I guess popularized it, made it more relevant. And you know, again because of their their spread of influence all over.
Speaker 2: Thankful for that.
Speaker 1: No, she's very o. She credits a Grateful Dead absolutely for what they did to to bring that song to a much wider world and keep it, keep it resonating and relevant or absolutely, and she likes that. She went to see the Grateful Dead when she was living in Toronto. Back in Toronto in around sixty seven or so, they came and played, but that night they didn't play Morning Dew, but she did Tom Constant Constantine I think his name is. He played keyboards. It was a second keyboard player at a pig pen in the Grateful Dead and in the mid to late sixties, and he played live, did that song live with them, you know, a gazillion times. But a few years ago we put together I had a Dead kind of a tribute band, and Slick Aguilera from Jefferson Starship and a few others are all in this band and they came and played in I think it was called the Other Dead or whatever they called them, and they came and played in London at a club and Bonnie went and they got her up to sing it, no.
Speaker 2: Rehearsal, It's great, just do it.
Speaker 1: And Okay, there's another guy who I wanted to get ahold of, but he's very very sick and I'm not sure how well he is now, but he was very very sick at the time. You know, you have to when you're doing this books, you have to live with those kinds of things. Well, I'm not going to get to so and so, you know, so let's try somebody else.
Speaker 2: John Innerson is the author of Take Me for a Walk in the Morning. Do do you think Bonnie had any idea when she finished that song that she had created something that would outlive the folk revival itself, become part of the rock cannon or was it just another song in her repertoire.
Speaker 1: She absolutely had no idea. I mean, she knew, she knew it was a good song, she felt, she felt strongly about and felt confident about it, But no idea that she'ss like, what sixty some odd years later, you and I are talking about it, Yeah, that that song is still around and guaranteed that sometime in the next few years someone else is going to record it and they're going to stumble across it, maybe the Devil version or maybe even the Lulu version, and that.
Speaker 2: We haven't mentioned the Almonds Gregan and Dwayne. I think it was the Almond Joys at the time, if I'm not mistaken. That's my brother was introduced to the song through that version.
Speaker 1: It's interesting version, and that was that was the recorded uh tracks that they recorded before they became the Almond Brothers.
Speaker 2: All Right, it's like on their box set, I think, is where you can find it.
Speaker 1: I have just keeps the song, just keeps rolling along. She had no idea, and when she thinks about her career in perspective, a lot of it is serendipity. A lot of it is not. She never really had a master plan. She never schemed to do this and do that. Things just happened. And with Morning Dew, things just happen. Now, if The Grateful Dead we thought was Fred Neil, Fred Neil and the Grateful Dead and then tim Rose had never covered it, we wouldn't be talking about Morning two. You just would have been a song, a song on a folk singer's album. Have sitted on her live at folks City, guris Folks City in nineteen sixty three. It just would have been there and lost there and gone, Oh it's a great song, maybe if you happen to have the album, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone today who does have that album any long.
Speaker 2: The book Down Rock podcast is part of the Boneless podcasting Network. If you're a fan of classic rock and classic film like I am, go to Boneless dot lovable dot app to find over twenty great shows there that's Boneless down Lovable dot app, or just go to bookdown Rock dot com the Boneless podcasting network. It is what you want to be Listen with confidence. The tim Rose story and let's get to it now, because this is where it gets interesting. She never met, never met tim Rose, yet he receives co writing credit on one of the most famous songs of the year. How walk us through exactly what happened? How did that happen that he ended up being known as the guy who wrote it?
Speaker 1: Well, she never met him face to face, but she did interact from a crowd.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, confront him, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well she did kind of confront him. Yeah, tim Rose had been in a folk group with Mama Cass. They were called the Big Three. And after Mama Cass floated around and then ended up in The Mamas and the Papas. Tim Rose put together a group called the Thorns and they were a folk group and they were actually touring Canada in sixty five when Neil Young saw them. Neil Young and his band the Squires, were playing in thunder Bay, which at the time was Fort William and Neil met Tim Rose then and the Thorns, and he thought that they were with the good folk act. He then got a solo contract to record an album maybe with Columbia, and David Robinson was the things. Rubinson was the guy assigned to produce it, and it's Tim that brought the song to the recording sessions. As David said, I'd never heard this song before Tim brought it in and they worked together on the arrangement for it. So David knew nothing of the history of it. But when Bonnie wrote the song, she knew nothing about song publishing, so she didn't establish a copyright on that song. She made the mistake of having Broadside Magazine, which was like a mimeographed folk music newspaper, you know, handed out in the village at folk clubs. She allowed them to print it. The music someone transcribed it. She can't read music and the lyrics before she copyrighted the song, so she left that door open.
Speaker 2: And then she didn't have management at the time, you know, and.
Speaker 1: She knew nothing. She didn't have any financial advice or anything. Remember she did traditional folk music, so she didn't know anything about the publishing your own songs, and you know. Then Fred Neil then recorded it in sixty four. And when Fred Neil was going to recorded, Jack Holtsman, who owned Electra Records, phoned out Bonnie and said, uh, friend's going to play record the song up. Bonnie knew Fred from the village, and Jack Holtsman said, friends can record the song. Who publishes it? She said, I don't have it published with anybody, and so he said, okay, then we'll publish it under our old elector's own publishing company called Nina Music. And Nina was was Jack Holtzman's wife. But at that point it had already been made public on broadside.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's obvious that Tim Rose heard the Fred Neil version because he sings the walk Me Out in the Morning do line not take me for a walk in the morning do. And Fred was the first to do that, so he heard that version, but he didn't look at the credit because Fred Neil credited it to Bonnie Dobson. But this whole issue of between sixty one or so or sixty two and sixty four, when Fred Neil did it, the copyright was nebulous. It wasn't published at all, and so tim Rose was smart enough regular to realize, there's a loophole here, and I changed a line in this song, and I changed a bit of the arrangement, so I'm going to claim co credit. And Barney didn't even know about that, you know, for several years later when she started seeing the song being covered by other artists and seeing this other guy's name, someone she didn't even know. She had no idea who tim Rose was. And by that point he had published it as tim Rose with another publishing company. So you've got these two publishing companies with this song. But before that song was ever published, she had made it public. So she left herself open for that, and she certainly admits her naivety cost her in the end, but that started the battle of her trying to regain control of that song. And as you and I know, on the Truth album, Jeff Beck, it just said tim Rose. Even the liner notes, I remember it's Jeff says, but we know Timmy does this better. But we think we do pretty good too. You know, there was no bond, and as more and more covers, you know, came up, more and more, you'd see tim Rose's name, and then you started to see just tim Rose and that you know, I would probably venture to say that close to half or more of the cover versions that we've been talking about credited just to tim Rose.
Speaker 2: Well there's a story behind him. And hey, Joe, I mean that's the version Jimmy Hendricks heard and said, hey, I want to record that. It's a very similar story, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is? But he got shut down quickly on that, and he probably got shut down by publishers of of the song.
Speaker 2: And then Roberts wrote that, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: And there was another song too, and I can't remember that, something about come to Me Belinda or something like that. He also tried to claim credit on that one too, So he was he was fast and loose with copyright laws, and he knew what he was doing, but he as as more and more people covered the song and claimed it for him. You know, there was a big ad in actually the ad for Lulu's Song in nineteen sixty seven and one of the British you know, new Musical Express or Melody Maker full page ad that said Tim Roses recording Tim Roses Morning Dew. And increasingly, and as I said, probably more than half of the artists that covered the song over the decades saw it as a tim Rose song and saw it credited as a tim Row song and credited himself to Tim Rose. So he was getting half the royalties on that song because he claimed as a songwriter. So it was the fact that I mean, because I mean they were getting they were Bonnie was still getting royalties, but she wasn't getting her full royalties because it's her song. She was giving half the royalties to some guy she never met, who did not write the song. So it was really a battle for a number of years to get that settled, and she finally really within the last ten years or so, found a lawyer, a copyright lawyer in London who took on the case and again at the prompting of Robert Plant and God it straightened out that tim Rose's name does not appear on it anymore. But tim Rose died decades ago, and someone in his family and Bonnie doesn't know who, and Barnie's lawyer doesn't know who. Someone in the tim Rose estate is still getting money off that song, but he's not getting.
Speaker 2: Half right seventy she gets Okay, Yeah, you know, I wonder about Tim Rose. I mean, was this something in his defense? It's it's a fantastic version that he that he yes does right, I mean, was this something like nefarious you know? Or can we can we speak in defense of tim Rows like I don't know? Was it just one of those things like, hey, you know, I was just smart enough to know let me take publishing credit for it. Or should he have said non, no, this isn't my song.
Speaker 1: Well he should have, Yes, he should have done that, And was he nefarious in some way and said, ah haha, I can do this. Yeah. But but tim Rose apologists and I have some of them quoted in the book. They follow Tim's line and he says, well, I didn't know who published it. I didn't know who wrote it. I just saw the song somewhere or heard it and I just decided to do it. No, if he did this with other songs, especially with Hey Joe, you know once, you can say if he did it once, well, okay, maybe it's an error. Twice three times, it was calculated to do that. Got to the point of defending himself all the time when asked about the song. Oh no, Bonnie and I are friends and we share the copyrights on it.
Speaker 2: There's a version on Spotify, not his original version, but one that he played live, and I thought it was interesting. In the beginning, he says, this is dedicated to Jerry Garcia. I don't know if it was recorded right after Jerry passed, but it's just funny, like he's not even acknowledging her in that recording. He's dedicating it to Jerry Garcia. Wow.
Speaker 1: That leads to the confrontation that she had with him in at the half Moon or something club in Putney in London where Big Ads Tim Rose famous for Morningdoe playing at this such a club, and she went with some of her friends and stood at the back. And it's interesting too. I didn't know this until I started interviewing some people who were there. They said there was a German documentary company there and they had cameras, so they were filming Tim's show for whatever, and all of a sudden, this lady at the back says, stop playing my song. You didn't write it, And the cameras all swarm over to this red haired, little spark plug of a lady and then tips aga money and he said, you wouldn't come up here and sing it with me. I wouldn't sing this song with you ever. And the cameras are going back and forth, two people having a fight in public in a crowd. But you know, she's she's stepped and she'd had enough. I guess by that, especially too when when by that point Tim was well into saying it was his song alone. He bought that whole I mean, he swallowed the kool aid on that one.
Speaker 2: Hm. Yeah, good for her, she stood up for herself. Yeah, she made the decision to leave behind a successful North American career and start over in England. Did you come away feeling she was running towards something or a new life or away from the music industry.
Speaker 1: Came disillusioned with it, nothing with the music industry at all. She met a guy she wanted to marry. Okay, her second husband, and he was from England and she met him in Canada when he was working in Canada, and he went back to England and then she fell in love and followed her heart. So it wasn't it wasn't a case that I just can't do this anymore, because she had just released actually a pretty good album just called Morning de Bonnie Dobson, and the producer was Jack Richardson, who produced you know, Bob Seeger and Poko and he meet his fame with the guess who Bay City Rollers, on and on. He was a big producer guy, and he always liked Bonnie and he wanted to he wanted to make her music a little more contemporary, and so he got her away from the traditional folk kind of songs. And she had been writing and she had a few songs that were decent songs, so he encouraged her to right. He brought in songs from from other largely Canadian songwriters, and the album got good notices, and she then recorded another one called Good Morning Rain, which was her own song, literally months before she moved to England. And she kind of left left Jack Richardson and RCA because both albums were on RCAA kind of hanging because when the album came out, she wasn't there to promote her to play or do concerts or indiviews or whatever she was she was over in England. But Bonnie is a very romantic person and she follows her heart and that's the decision that she made. My heart is more important than my career. She was fortunate to kind of kickstart her career early on when she got to England. But yeah, it wasn't It wasn't in any way motivated by frustration with the music business and all of that, because she really wasn't fully aware of and she said she didn't become aware of it till she moved to England. Of how much Morning Dew had been covered and how much tim Rose had been, you know, claiming it and talking it up as if it's her song. So that really starts to happen when she's in England. But but yeah, again, I just can't say it any other way. I think she was really following her heart.
Speaker 2: Raised the family, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: She had two kids with this her second husband, and then they split up. So she was then from about seventy two to seventy three onward, raising the kids herself, and she would still be gigging. She'd have to go out, you know, in some cases, drive all afternoon, play somewhere, and drive all night to be back to make the kids breakfast in the morning and get them off to school, that sort of thing. The BBC was a big help for her too. They brought her in often to make recordings, and the BBC paid really well for her to do that too, So she just managed to carry on and go along. She made more albums and developed her songwriting. And that's one of the things I'm pleased that I'm pleased to myself, but I'm glad I did, was to include examples of her songwriting in the book, because I suspect there's a lot of people who don't know her other than maybe morning do. And she became a very good, very good songwriter, and she wrote from experience, She wrote from the heart, just make up a song. She had to write from experience of things that happened in her life. And I wish, and I'd still my wish. I hope it happens. But I would love to have seen a compilation CD put together of her songs, of her material because it's it's really evolved and become fabulous, and you get little bits and pieces of it on different albums, some some vinyl sms not on CD. That sort of thing. Be nice to have put something together that that kind of came out around the same time as the book. Maybe it might happen, you know, in the new year. But I would love to see that happen because she deserves to have this material hurt, because she's she's more than morning do.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for checking out the book down Rock podcast. If you've just found the podcast, welcome. If you've been listening, thank you so much for your support, and make sure you tell a friend, a family member, share on social media and let people know about Booked on Rock, and if you do like the podcast, make sure you subscribe give a five star review. Wherever you listen to the Booked on Rock podcast, We're on Amazon, Apple, iHeart, Spotify, Spreaker, tune in in on YouTube music. You can check out the full episodes on video along with video highlights from episodes on the Booked on Rock YouTube channel. Find it at Booked on Rock. Thanks again for listening. Now back to the show. Days of Reckoning is another that's a great song from ninety six. Now that's she returned to the business on her own terms at that point and writes and records Days of Reckoning, which is like a companion piece to Morning Do. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she worked with Freedom freedoman with Techi who was a German musician and he had a studio in Germany. They met me in London and he backed her up for a while, but she went over and recorded there, and yeah, it's a brilliant song, and I think she's kind of come to realize how brilliant that song is. It's one of my favorites. Good Morning Rain, I've since learned from another interview with that I did has been downloaded something like two hundred thousand times. She had no idea about, you know, Spotify and that kind of music streaming, you know, I mean, we know we know that Spotify plays you know, a point zero zero eighty four cents for every download, but she was just completely unaware of that, especially a song like Good Morning Rain wasn't a hit, wasn't a single, but obviously it's connected with people who've discovered it and spread the word. So again, these serendipitous things that happened in her life and who would have.
Speaker 2: Thought good morning rained two million streams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and an eighty five year old woman, you know, experiencing this, this career renaissance, certainly in the last few years. I mean, who knows how long it will go on. She still sings like a songbird. She sings every song in the same key. But that beautiful, soaring soprano voice that's still there. It's not like she stopped singing. She continues to sing always.
Speaker 2: Hey, how about how about a Robert Plant Bonnie Dobson album right like he did with Alison Crouse.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think that he's better off for alison longevity. Bonnie is known as rootsy as Robert and Alison listen, I mean I wrote Geene Clark's biography and gene Clark's two sons, one of which has since passed away. They were absolutely thrilled when on that Raising Sand album, which was Allison and Robert, they did two gene Clark songs and they got to meet at a show. They got backstage to be able to meet him, and Robert Plant was thrilled to meet gene Clark's sons.
Speaker 2: That's awesome and body considers now the seventy five percent. That's her pinchon and after she's gone, the money goes to her daughter.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And the book ends with not her past, but the creation of a brand new album. Tell us about that. Where Bonnie is at today, eighty five, still going strong, Yeah.
Speaker 1: She is, And she's been doing some gigs lately, back with the Hanging Stars. They're kind of a ald country, rootsy Americana kind of band. They've been compared to The Grateful Dead, they've been compared to the Birds and again serendipitous. She had written some songs and she wanted to get them recorded with with a band, and she a friend, a friend, Ski Williams, took her to see the Hayy Stars playing at the Betsy Trotter, which is a fabulous pub. I've been there to see music in London and wonderful. We're actually going to do a book event there.
Speaker 2: Barney's going to perform.
Speaker 1: And she really liked them and she got to know them, and so she did. She she hired them to rehearse and to go in the studio. She paid all the studio sessions and costs and pay them a salary because she wanted these songs recorded not for any not for any other purpose but her own. But as it evolved, the the connections, the chemistry between them and these guys, you know, I mean they're in they're in their early thirties, she's in her eighties, but the musical chemistry just just was so incredible together that they both realized there's an album here, and so that became, you know, the Dreams album, which you know, came out two years ago and as I said, got great notices everywhere, and it's it gathered together some some of the songs she'd written previously, like Rainy Windows and Winter's Going. Winter's Going with Jarvis Cocker's favorite song, and it's Winter's Going that caused him to look up Bonnie to play at this show he was curating, called the Lost Ladies of Folk music to come and perform for that. So you never know where these songs are and how they're they're they're touching people. But Winter's Going is a very difficult song for her in that it's about the aftermath of her abortion. She never talked about the abortion. Even her son, who since passed away, and her daughter never knew about it at all until she opened up about it. When she was doing the book with me, doing interviews and and stuff. So some of these songs, some some new songs that she'd written. It got a chance to put them together and put an album out and it deserved better represent better distribution than it got because it's a very very good album. So the few thousand people who bought it, you know, they know what a treasure it is. And here's you know, she may record again with the Hanging Stars. Who knows she's been performing live with them again. She's got a couple of them who are backing her on some of these book events that we're doing in London, including at the Betsy Trotter.
Speaker 2: So who else what's going to happen? And one last question before I asked that that there's a quote that I want to read from Bonnie. She said it was never about the money for me. I just wanted recognition as the sole writer of that song. So do you think that history now has finally corrected the record on Bonnie's authorship of Morning Do or is there still work to be done to ensure that she receives that recognition that she deserves.
Speaker 1: Well, I think she's now legally established that, yes, But as for getting the word out, I think the book will help because the book is going to be you know, distributed worldwide, so it's gonna help with that. But you know, all we can do is hope that that that every in everybody's minds it's changed. And certainly anybody today who wants to go and cover Morning de will see that it's just Bonnie Dobson's name on there. So yeah, I mean, as as I said earlier, the song's going to live for it's going to outlive you and I. There's somebody thirty years from now who's going to record that song, but they will record it and credited to Bonnie Dobson.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the book is a huge help to that and artists who are going to perform it live. Just make sure you mentioned that it was written by Bonnie Dobson.
Speaker 1: Right Fiery Lady in red hair at the back yelling end.
Speaker 2: Might there find the bookdown Rock website at bookdown Rock dot com. There you can find all the back episodes of the show, the latest episode in and audio links to all of the platforms where you can listen to the podcast. Plus all the social media platforms were on Blue Sky, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and x. Also check out the Booked on Rock blog. Find your local independent bookstore. Find out all the latest hot rockbook releases. And before you go, check out the booked on Rock online store. Pick up some booked on Rock merch. It's all at booked on Rock dot com. The book's out September tenth, right, okay, but people can preorder it now, take me for a walk in the morning. Do September ten release date, but you can pre order now through Amazon. You can also go to jobble onpress dot com. There's a signed copy available from rough Trade as well. Is that still?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, well, I'm going to England at the start of September. Bonnie and I will be will be signing tons of books okay or for distribution but also for sale to the events.
Speaker 2: And Roughtrade dot com people can go to yep.
Speaker 1: Yes, obviously won't have the books until September the tenth. By then I'll already be there and we'll signed tons of books, all right?
Speaker 2: And John, where can people find you and also your other books? Is Amazon? The best place? Do you have a website? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Amazon is there and they have I mean some of my books are ound of print, because it's been like thirty years. But what amazes me is the Gene Clark book is still in print. My Desperado is the Roots of Country Rock book still in print. My Buffalo Springfield books still in print. And these books go back like thirty years. I have a Facebook site where I talk about music history every day. It's called John Anderson Remembers, Okay, and it's open anybody can come.
Speaker 2: But also on Amazon, is your Neil Young book still there? You have a Neil Young book?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, it's it's called Neil Young Don't be Denied the Canadian Years, and it's all about his time in Winnipeg. I mean, you've got to start here and then in thunder Bay and in Toronto, and then when it kind of ends when he heads off to California. But it's I remember saying to Neil, I said, you know, now, how come there's never been anything written about your early years, you know, in Winnipeg. And he said, because no one's ever asked me. He said, well, I'm asking. And he invited me down to his ranch and we spent some great deal of time just sitting around, and I had him just in stitches, remembering some of these stories and things about him. You know, it's funny. No one ever thought he would make it. I mean, yeah, you talk to people that he's Oh I knew he was going to be big.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't.
Speaker 1: No one ever thought he was going to make He had a weird voice, thin and really kind of a voice. He was kind of an awkward looking guy. But he stuck to it. I mean, he really followed that dream. And he said to me, you know, I had to leave a lot of friends behind because I was so focused on music. That's the only thing that mattered, you know. And if you weren't supporting of what I'm doing, or if you didn't want to do what I want to do, well I'd leave you behind. And that really is what his career is all about. Since playing in his first Band's in Winnipeg in nineteen sixty one, Neil has always been the boss. Yes, it's his way or the highway. And you know, when he's been in like Christby Stills, the Ash, he's in, he's out, he's in, he's out, Buffalo Springfield, he quit three times because he wanted to be the boss. I also wrote the biography of the Buffalo Springfield too, and I wrote it with Richie Fray, who was you know, he was kind of the in the middle between Stills and young people.
Speaker 2: Go to Amazon dot com. I'll put a link to your Amazon page so people can check out all of the books that you got there. John Inerson, thank you so much, man. This is awesome to have you on. I have a feeling I'm going to have you back on again. You've got quite a few books here. I'd love to talk about.
Speaker 1: Eric. This was a treat because it's always lovely to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about.
Speaker 2: And loves loves the topic. Because you were saying you weren't sure if this was something that you know, I'd be interested. I'm like, are you kidding me? I love this? This is this is right down my alley.
Speaker 1: Man, I've got you here. This this this book here. I know if it's showing it backwards. And this book came out here. It's called From Barnaby Wild to Dased and Confused Rock Music Revolution of nineteen sixty eight. The premise of the book is why did rock change in sixty eight to a harder rock sound? And that harder rock sound would become the basis of what today we call classic rock, and how did that happen from psychedelic music before it, and who are the driving forces of creating this hard rock sound that we know today's classic rock. That's that's I've been still there.
Speaker 2: Cool, Thanks so much, John, my pleasure, take care.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's in the books.