Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from kf I A M six forty.
Speaker 2: Well listening listens or says you should work out this Baptist work out.
Speaker 3: Kf I AM six forty is Later with Mo Kelly and Clauding Cooper. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and Cludding. It's great to see you. And I know you're not a doctor, and I'm not going to put you in that chair, but you, like me, are living through this time in which drugs like ozimpic and others, these quote unquote wonder drugs are changing people's lives. And these are what have been termed rightfully so as off label uses. You know, it was designed for something else, and they realized, oh wait a minute, people also losing weight for it, and start people are using it specifically for that reason. And now we have more information under our belts because people have been using it for a longer period of time. There's some unintended consequences and I would love to get your thoughts. In US, it seems that experts have sounded the alarm over drugs like ozempic because some people are going blind because of it. Several studies have linked the shots to conditions that cause inflammation and block blood flow to the eye, causing severe and sometimes permanent vision loss. That's not for you to worry about, okay, But I do worry about the psychology of I'm willing to risk this and that to get the body which is supposedly healthier as opposed to putting in the work.
Speaker 4: Well, I've spoken to a few people who have tried these ozebic style drugs, and what they say is they've tried everything up until this point. In other words, it wasn't like a weight loss drug. It was actually designed for people who were diabetic. That's what it originally came out for, right, And so what they're saying is they weren't able to get a good handle on their health until they tried this, and then they were able to see the weight loss or the decreased appetite and then the more energy which allows them to get into the gym and to do these things. So it's hard for me to say is it good or is it bad. I don't think any of us should want to be dependent on any kind of medication for a long period of time. So if there are these side effects, I think if it served its purpose for a period and you were able to get in and you're able to lock in on your health goals, then you should also be able to reverse the need for medication at a certain point.
Speaker 3: But we've seen in this i'll say celebrity culture, sure, well, thin is in Thin is the thing, not even being healthy, but just being thin. We're seeing people who obviously didn't need to use it, not for health reasons, but for apparent's reasons. Actresses, even actors on some level using it because they want to either stay rail thin or they need to lose an extra ten to fifteen pounds.
Speaker 5: That's what concerns me.
Speaker 4: Well, that's been happening for years and years, decades and decades, and there's unhealthy ways to lose weight even before these drugs came to fact.
Speaker 2: So I don't think that will go away.
Speaker 4: If you're talking about people that are trying to lose weight to be on a specific show or movie or whatever. They've been doing that since who knows when?
Speaker 3: Right, tell me when you are in the gym, and I know you probably ear hustle people's conversations.
Speaker 5: Me, No, yes, you too.
Speaker 3: Do you hear these types of drugs coming up in conversation of people talking about them.
Speaker 4: So, actually, because I don't even have to ear hustle, people are probably ear hustling between me and someone at the gym because they often come to me and share their journey with me. Right, And so I have spoken to people who have used specifically ozembic and who have seen some incredible results. Now those people are not currently blind, I will tell you that, so currently not currently, but what they're telling me is that over all the years that they've been trying different methods to lose weight and to get a handle on their health, this was the first time they were able to And so for that I can't be mad at it.
Speaker 3: You know, No, I'm quite sure there are success stories, and because one of the reasons that this is is such a phenomenon is because it has changed people's lives. But at the same time, this study suggests to me that we may not know the long term implications of that fantastic turnaround for some blindness for others.
Speaker 5: That's what we know right now.
Speaker 3: In your career and the course of doing what you do, do you think that what we're experiencing with these weight loss drugs is cyclical.
Speaker 5: Is this just the latest thing or is this something really different?
Speaker 2: Resolutely, No, you know it's cyclical.
Speaker 4: In fact, every so often you'll have a trend, whatever that is. It might not be a medical trend. It may not be medication. It could be an eating trend. It could be a workout trend. And you see people jump on the trend and lose weight and this is the latest thing, and everybody needs to be vegan, or everybody needs.
Speaker 2: To at Kim Atkin's diet whatever.
Speaker 4: Exactly, everyone should be doing boot camp style training.
Speaker 2: That's the way, you know, that's training. Exactly.
Speaker 4: There's always going to be a fad that is taking place in the health and fitness industry and people jump on it and then later they find out, oh, well this has some side effects or this is bad for this or whatever, and you know, we just moved through it to the next thing, right, But the real deal is the consistent ability to lock into daily exercise and proper nutrition.
Speaker 2: That's really what it is.
Speaker 3: In your many years and you told us how you started in the gym's some at eighteen years old, did you ever find yourself more susceptible or less susceptible to some of these fads and programs and you know, what was it one like ninety days?
Speaker 5: What was it X ninety or something like that.
Speaker 2: You tell me, Okay, I don't even know, right, did you ever know what you mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So for me personne P ninety X, yes, uh huh, I've I've worked out pretty much my whole adult life, and I really do think that all movement is good movement. But I've done almost all of the movements. So I used to do P ninety X, right, I love that workout. I did the Insanity series. You know, all these different things that have come out, I've done them. I've tried them, and honestly, I mean, as long as you don't feel like you have to get married to one way, I don't think it's bad to try the new ways. Now, when it comes to medication, I can honestly say I have never been on any medication, So for me, I can't really weigh in as an expert. But when people come to me and tell me that a medication has changed their life, I can't be the negative Nelly in here saying like, oh, don't do it, because I see how happy they are with their new body, their new lease on life, this new level of energy, and so I want that for them. So if it took the medication to get them there, then okay.
Speaker 5: So be it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Claudian Cooper joins us in studio. We're talking about the possible side effects of ozimpic and how that impacts the psychology of people wanting to reach either their weight loss goals or fitness goals, or they're just body or parents or health goals.
Speaker 4: And real quick, a guy came up to me the other day and said, Hey, I have a testimony for you.
Speaker 2: I said, give it to me.
Speaker 4: He said, since I've been working out at this gym, I'm no longer on my blood pressure medication and I'm no longer on insulin.
Speaker 3: Let's at church. Say amen, amen, I AM six forty. We'll have more with Clauding Cooper in just a moment. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Kfi'm O Kelly and Clauding Cooper. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Also dubbed us the Nice Exercise Lady, which was coined by Mark Runner, and from that we got her official intro, which played last segment. All credit due to Mark Roner because he was the inspiration.
Speaker 1: I got in touch with Eric Lisardo and told him that was the most brilliant thing he's ever done, and he's done a lot of brilliant things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love the jangle.
Speaker 3: Before the break cluddying, we were talking about ozempic and how that has positively changed and impacted people's lives, and we talked about some of the side effects that we're now learning more about because people are taking it for a longer period of time and we have a larger sample size, if you will. And I was asking you about the psychology of it. I wonder if someone who's been in the gym since eighteen years old, and you were telling me during the break that you've been pretty much the same size because you've been consistent that full time, does it make it more difficult for you when you're dealing with clients or people who would be coming into the gym who make the assumption it's easier for you, because you know, let's say you're any bitty.
Speaker 4: Well, I do think it is a little bit harder to relate to someone who's always been the same size. And one thing about consistency is that it looks effortless to people who see your results because they don't see the effort that you put in to your consistent behavior. Now we could be talking about anything. We don't necessarily got to talk about exercise. We could be talking about the consistency in your career, or your marriage or anything parenting. But what people see as the results and so they don't really see the work that goes into it. And so, yes, you are correct. I've had conversations with people in the past. I'll give you an example. I was at a house party. Actually it was a backyard boogie, you know what I saw you at, uh huh. And someone said to me, are you still teaching your classes? And I said, yes, I'm still teaching my classes. And she said, I keep saying I'm going to go to one of your classes, but I just don't think you'll be able to train me because you've never been big. And I was like, uh, I train all sizes, all shapes, and all levels. But I don't think that she felt that I was relatable mm hm or she could You could meet her where she was right right. I think people have this, you know, maybe like a perception that I'm just gonna be moving at a pace that works best for my size, but I won't be able to welcome in people from various sizes, shapes, and levels, which is you know you've.
Speaker 2: Been to my workouts. You know that's completely false.
Speaker 3: And I know you do have that sixth gear where you can take it up where people will start falling out if you need to go there.
Speaker 4: I definitely do, And when I'm going to my classes at Equinox, I take it to the sixth gear because the people who are at Equinox want the sixth here. But when I'm working with all levels in a free community workout or at a place where there's people who have, maybe you know, a sedentary lifestyle, I take my time.
Speaker 2: I know how to.
Speaker 4: I've been doing it long enough to know how to gauge the different levels.
Speaker 3: How do you try to how do you manage to break through to someone like that who may be very self conscious about his or her bodies, both sexist, who be self conscious, and they may not have worked out in years years? What's that icebreaker like in a training sense?
Speaker 4: Well, one thing I always tell people is like, don't just come into the gym after having a long period of sedentary time and try to go hard, like go one hundred right, take your time. Start by walking, Start by doing small steps to get.
Speaker 2: To a bigger goal. The pool is a great way to start.
Speaker 4: If you have access to a pool and you may have some mobility issues or joint issues, getting in the pool is a great low impact way to still move your body and to see some really good results, but to not overdo it right away. Also, walking walking is an amazing exercise for all levels.
Speaker 5: I'll swear by it.
Speaker 2: You swear by it exactly.
Speaker 4: I see you walk around the station too, and so anyways, there's ways that you can go into it. The problem is when we want to go in and we want to be our high school athletic self after living a sedentary lifestyle for a period.
Speaker 2: Well, high school's only five six decades behind.
Speaker 5: Us six years ago.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how quickly the time goes by. And I was talking to Twalla the other day and he was talking about how he pulled a muscle just stretching his chest, you know, and I remember I hurt myself. Don't know how just waking up in the morning like a sprain by ankle. Somehow, well, somehow.
Speaker 2: Well, I hear women say all the time.
Speaker 4: So one thing you may not know, which is a common thing with women my age, is the frozen shoulder. So the frozen shoulder is something that happens during menopause to a lot of women, and it happens from doing absolutely nothing.
Speaker 2: You're like, what just happened. I wasn't even lifting weights, I wasn't even doing any type of.
Speaker 4: Workout, and my shoulder is basically immobile.
Speaker 2: Even you, it doesn't happen to me.
Speaker 4: But I can relate because we as people over fifty.
Speaker 2: Now that I'm one over.
Speaker 3: Fifty, why ya always gonna bring me into your stuff? You are over fifty. Everybody knows I'm over fifty. We're still working on mark.
Speaker 4: Those of us who are over fifty know that you can do absolutely nothing and find yourself injured. I reached in the back of true, Oh shoot, what just happened? But there are ways around it, And that's why I'm saying I definitely employ these practices to keep my body mobile. So there are ways. Wake up, stretch the body. Yes, that's a big one, right, huge one. Another big one is making sure that you incorporate some kind of exercise every single day, not three days a week, not five days a week, moving the body daily.
Speaker 2: Even on a day.
Speaker 4: When you're not at work or you're not this is your rest day, you should still be doing something to keep your body in motion. Motion is the lotion you know. That means our joints need the motion. So that's one of the reasons why I don't think I've experienced the frozen shoulder, but I can relate to it because I notice how stiff I get if I'm not doing my practices.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you what my pastor used to tell me when he is alive. If it hasn't happened yet, keep on living.
Speaker 4: Oh I My grandmother used to say, keep on living, keep on living, yep, yep. And so I'm going to keep on living, God willing, and we'll see what happens. I'll report back next Wednesday very quickly.
Speaker 3: The free community workouts are coming back when again.
Speaker 4: March first, Saturday morning, nine am, in partnership with Cedar Sinai Hollywood Park, and we're doing it while the Farmer's market is going on. So it'll be farmers Market, work out. A lot of stuff going on over there in Inglewood.
Speaker 3: If you haven't noticed, well, I have to come over there and work out with you and all the beautiful people of Inglewood again sometime soon.
Speaker 2: We'd love to see you Mo.
Speaker 3: Claudie Cooper dot com go there right now, get the information, make sure you're part of her community, and you know, maybe have a new body for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I'd love it.
Speaker 5: It's Later with Mo Kelly. We'll see you soon, Clauding Cooper.
Speaker 2: Yes you will.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moke Ully on demand from p f I a M six forty