Speaker 1: Last year, I'm in Vegas at the celebrity golf tournament before the Super Bowl, all pro football players that can't hit a golf ball. But if I handed you a violin and said, hey, I'm going to come back in a year, I want you to play Mozart for me, you're probably not going to be doing anything but playing scratches and you know, squeaks.
Speaker 2: If you play golf, you know the deal. You take lessons, you take a tip from YouTube, you practice, you integrate, and then it works until it doesn't and you're back at square one. Simply put, you've joined the quest for the perfect thing. So if you're obsessed with breaking eighty or ninety, blasting it to eighty or hitting it down the middle, you've come to the right place. This is golf smartest, correct the mistakes. And now here's your host, Josh Carton. Today I am talking to Crystal Garcia Christ. Thank you for being here today, my pleasure. You are the first person I've had on who I think did not really grow up playing in the way that a lot of pros and teachers instructors have. So why don't we start there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I am a bit of an anomaly in the world of golf, because I'm probably the latest bloomer that's well known. And the reason why that is is because golf is challenging for everybody. It's a very small number of people that I call naturals that usually pick up the game and they're generally shooting par within a year and a half two years. So I read an article that was the genesis for how I got into my whole journey, and it was a disheartening article in two thousand and nine in Golf Digest that that the average golfer reaches their peak at about three years of picking up the game as an adult, and then they are basically that's where they're going to live out the rest of their life. And they said, you know, guys who place at scratch are better. They also hit that peak that early. And I started asking my friends later as I became more of a golfer, I'd be like, you know, hey, man, like when did you start playing, Like fifteen sixteen? When did how long did it take you to shoot par? A year and a half? Like That's generally what I always heard. And so Golf Digest in that same article said they were giving away awards for people who had dropped their handicap the most during the course of a year, and I think the first place went to a guy who went from twenty two to eleven. And I was like, man, that's a really cool idea, and I just kind of put it in the back of my mind. And then in November of two thousand and nine, I was buying my seventh driver in three years, hoping it would fix my block slice and next to the cash sure was Ben Hogan's Five Lessons book, and so I always liked the pictures in that book. And you know, I'm forty years old, struggling, struggling golfer, very often well over one hundred, and I'm like, you know what, I'm going to pick up this book for twelve dollars and I start thumbing through it. And the difference in two thousand and nine from when I was younger is YouTube would come out and I could actually go on YouTube and look up swings of Ben Hogan. I've always been interested in the mystique. I know the story about the bus accident all that, but I'd never really caught his swing more than you would see as a flash before a US Open or a master's like champions like Ben Hogan, and that's all you saw. There wasn't enough to sink your teeth into, you know. So I started to watch his swing on YouTube, and then for Christmas a month later in two thousand and nine, I got a flip video camera and the first thing a golfer thinks is man, I got to go out to the golf course with my buddies and I got to see my swing. I came home devastated. I thought I had a good looking golf swing. It had just become so so dysfunctional, and I had no idea. But I am somewhat of a movement expert. I could see very clearly that I did not have a good golf swing. And those three elements the article on you know you top out after three years, and I was like, that's not going to be me. I'm going to try and beat that guy's record. To the book Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and seeing my swing, that was the genesis for me to start my swing evolution. In the year twenty ten, in January, I saved every scorecard, putted every ball out. It was forty four rounds of golf, and by studying the classic swing. This is an important note. As a freshman in high school, I shot under par. I was played the number one position on my high school golf team, and my dad took me to see a golf instructor for the first time, and he put me into the modern swing and changed my natural classic swing. Both feet planted on the ground, stable base, turned the upper body against the lower body, swing on plane, all of that, and my game went to absolute in the garbage can.
Speaker 2: So what version of the modern swing was this? Like so like, because you know, there was the whole X factor kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So I'm very good friends with Jim McClain. Yeah, it was elements that could be X factor ish, But it wasn't Jim that I went to go see. But this is one of the most famous teachers in the world. You know, got I learned an awful lot about practice and you know, and all of that. But it was the beginning of this phase where we wanted to keep the feet plan and turn the upper body against a stable lower body, keep the club on plane the whole time, you know, not this kind of like more. You know, we all imitated Nicholas, you know, that's what me and my older brother did, and we played pretty good.
Speaker 2: Golf under as a teenager. Hell yeah, you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tied the number one player in our district as a freshman in high school.
Speaker 2: How frustrating was it to go through that, have be that good and then have a kind of deteriorate I mean, what was what were your thoughts at the.
Speaker 1: Time, Well, it was absolutely devastating because you have to love golf a lot to get to where I had gotten to. I had won a three day tournament, you know, earlier, and you know, and you know I wasn't like I shot seventy seven the last day to win that tournament when I was in the eighth grade, you know, before the ninth grade, and you know, I was a good golfer. But there was Gary Nicholas as my same age. He was still there were guys levels above me. But the point is I went to shooting nineties in over one hundred on bad.
Speaker 2: Days, which has got to be very disconcerting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I became, you know, I focused on another thing that I loved. I loved martial arts. I became the number one rated junior fighter in the state of Florida, and then I went on to win the Florida Open, the Florida Games as an adult, so I competed in sport karate. I actually quit golf for four years after college because I was just so bad at it. It was years later. I was twenty seven and I was living with a friend. We worked together in a restaurant, I remember, and he loved golf, and we watched Tiger win the Masters by twelve and ninety seven. He's like, you know, we gotta get you back out there. I was like, all right, you know, So I started playing golf again and we played with another friend of ours, George, and George made us put everything out and I shot one hundred and twenty six.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I've driven home after shooting a ninety three, like thinking I wanted to, you know, drive my car into a tree off the cliff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So you know I have not only am I probably the latest bloomer in golf, I'm probably the biggest swing of scoring.
Speaker 2: Oh my, yeah, one hundred and twenty six down to where you're at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like my low round is sixty seven. I've shot sixty eight. I'm not like one of these guys that shoots insanely low scores usually in the seventies, you know, but it's it's when it was bad. I would have paid a million dollars if a genie could have said, oh, I'll give you this golf swing and the ability to play at this level, I would have jumped at the chance, because you're hopeless when you're like that. You know. That's where I lived for fourteen years until I bought the Ben Hogan book and had the revelation I'm just going to go back to my childhood swing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so talk a little bit about there's that pursuit of the Hogan swing that was built for Hogan that he had to hit a zillion balls of day to maintain. So what did you pick up from Hogan that got you back to that classic swing?
Speaker 1: You know? So the first thing that I picked up from Hogan was by kind of adopting the notion that I'm going to just start all over again. It gave me a way to reboot my self image because my self image was really in the dumpster that I was a terrible golfer. I was always embarrassed. But I had this new idea, I'm going to swing like Cogan. I'll just swing like Cogan. I started to work on it, and I started to make a little bit better contact. I started to notice. You know, I did take some lessons with a couple people I had taken lessons before the transformation, and all they did was make me worse, just nightmarish. But the next person I called, I said, hey, I want to learn to swing like Ben Hogan. Can you help me? And of course there's laughter on the other side of the phone, and I picked up a couple tidbits from him. Then I was hitting golf balls on a driving range in February in twenty ten, and an old man came walking up to me and he goes, let me see you hit a ball. Hit one, because let me see you hit one more. I hit another one. He goes, your head's in front of the ball. I can help you with that. I'm Roger Donne and he hands me his card and in La Roger Done golf shops all over the place. They're all over the Southwest, and I'm like, you're the Roger Dune and he's like, yeah, I didn't turn pro, but I did pretty good with the stores. Be here on Tuesday night, so it gives me a two hour and forty five minute lesson. He charges me forty five dollars bring it in cash. We actually talked about the swing for an hour and a half to almost two hours before we even got out to the driving range. And but he he talked about a Hogan fan. He was into it. He goes, first of all, your swing's too upright. I want you to take your left hand and feel like you're reaching your right pocket on the back swing. And I'm like, you're crazy. But you know, he was able to get me into that Hogan plane, you know. And now I understand, you know more of why he said that and how it fits into the classic swing. But at first I was like, you're you're freaking nuts because the last lesson I had, the guy was telling me to wretch my arms down the train tracks as far as possible, and this guy's telling me to reach in my left pocket, which is as deep, low and inside as possible. And I'm like, you know, what do you do? It was woh, my gosh, it's been a crazy journey. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, so so what so was it a philosophical shift for you? Was it physical? Was it philosophical or was it just kind of rebooting your system.
Speaker 1: Well, I realized now years later, it was one of my friends, Sean Cox, who was the director of golf at the Grand del Mar. Now he's up in San Francisco. It's a wonderful, wonderful pro friend of mine who pointed out to me, he goes, have you ever read a book called the Alter Ego Effect? Like, no, I don't know anything about it. He goes, you should read that because that's what you did with your Hogan transformation. And I'm like, excuse me. He goes, Yeah, all sorts of athletes and performers create these alter egos that allow them to create a new self image and prove their performance ability. And I'm like, son of a gun. And I realized at that moment, Yeah, I put on the Hogan hat, created this new identity. Was able to put in the background all the noise and the disappointment and embarrassment of my golf game and create something fresh. And I had used. Bruce Lee was my idol when I was a martial arts competitor, and then I became a pro vallet dancer and Mikhail Barishnikov was my idol for that pursuit. All I did was replace replace it with Hogan. So okay, well I'm gonna imitate Ogan and I'm going to do that. And it seems so matter of fact, But now I kind of see it much much deeper what happened internally to go along with the external work, To.
Speaker 2: Talk a little bit about the martial arts, because that always seems to me like martial arts are such a great background for somebody who wants to be good at golf. How is that influence what you've done?
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's tremendous striking in the martial arts, whether it's you know, punches or kicks like a spinning back kick. They're all rotational and you all build your force from the ground up. A boxer couldn't knock you out standing on a sheet of ice. You know, you have to be able to use the ground. And the motions are very very similar as far as discipline goes. I find that there are also parallels because it's like you're not playing a team sport. It's all solo. You know, there's there's nobody to congratulate but yourself and nobody to blame but yourself if you inter lose. But martial arts is man's That's what I spent the first thirty five years of my life. That's that's what I did, and I you know, took it pretty deep.
Speaker 2: I'm always kind of amazed, especially you know, somebody as good of an athlete as yourself, if you're a ballet dancer and you know, martial arts champion, all those things. It's always fascinating to me that somebody who's a great athlete can struggle with golf. Yet it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh my gosh. Last year, I'm in Vegas at the celebrity golf tournament before the Super Bowl. Hey, I love to meet all these great pro athletes and everything, but you're seeing all pro football players and all these different athletes that can't hit a golf ball, and it's like, God, bless you know. I mean, the best athletes in the world. But if I handed you a bye violin and said, hey, I'm gonna come back in a year, I want you to play mozart for me, you're probably not going to be doing anything but playing scratches and you know, squeezed.
Speaker 2: That was my experience with the clarin up.
Speaker 1: So golf is a fine art. I separate the idea of a fine art from a popular art. Thusly, you can teach yourself a popular art, but a fine art is a master's student relationship that's handed down from generation to generation. So you can teach yourself to break dance, you can teach yourself to play acoustic guitar, you can teach yourself to rap, but you can't teach yourself opera. You can't teach yourself violin, and you can't teach yourself ballet.
Speaker 2: For sure. I know so many people who are really good athletes who take up golf and get really serious about it, and they struggle exactly like you were struggling. What do you do with somebody like that when they come to you.
Speaker 1: Well, if we have an athletic background, the first thing I want to do is I want to tap in on what they were doing previously. So well, the first thing I want to ask is did they ever play a sport, either a stick sport or something that required throwing, because they're the same kinetic sequence. One of the famous drills that I do is I'll have a student and we'll throw balls, and I show them that you can't throw the ball until your lead foot plants. And once we get that, then I have them get the feeling of throwing the ball into the ground. And what this does is it helps them to connect the way they move in other sports into golf because it's, like I said, it's the same kinetic sequence. A lot of my students you'll see on YouTube, have these light bulb moments where they're like, oh my gosh, where they just unlock two or three more levels of compression by understanding how they're applying the energy. So what you have to remember is we create all the forces in the golf swing. We can overpower the forces, which is what ninety percent of golfers do, or we can harness the forces. When you look at pro golfers they look like they're effortless, it's because they're harnessing the forces they're generating in the swing and then transmitting them down the club shaft. I just taught a weekend golf school. People flew in from all around the country and I've got an aid iron and I'm like, look, guys, you don't have to swing hard or apply force. You know, I'm doing it and I'm just blasting the ball, and they just they just were mystified. I'm not trying to be braggy or something. I'm just trying to say. It's like, I'm not exerting energy or extra force to do this. I'm actually removing extraineous force as simply as I can put it as I'm just letting the weight of my arms in club fall, adding my turn, and then snapping at the bottom. So energy goes flinging out the end of the golf club like snap and a towel, you know. But it's not about using more force, right.
Speaker 2: I find in my own game, my biggest struggle is when I'm not hitting the ball straight off the tee, is that I have that instinct to just start pulling it down from the top, and that's when I start slicing the ball and blocking it out to the right instead of having the nice rhythmic sequence coming through the ball.
Speaker 1: Right. That was one of the things I had to learn in martial arts because I used to expend too much energy. And my coach was like, look watch how Pat fights. He's real smooth. When it's time he goes, you know. So like for me, it's like the time is at the bottom to apply speed and you know, just that little snap at the bottom. But if I try and apply it up here, it's just going to be gone. It's just lost.
Speaker 2: You know, modern golf instruction as opposed to kind of the classic swing model. Just give me an idea of where the divide takes place. I would imagine the classic swing to me, which is what really interests me, is that it's much more accessible and doable than swinging like Rory or But we watch them on TV and think that's how I'm supposed to.
Speaker 1: Play, right, right, So Rory and Bryson, they're playing the modern game. They have modern swing elements, but both of them also have a lot of things that I really like in their golf swing. Rice in de Shambo lifts his lead heel with a driver, classic swing move. Rory doesn't have the amount of lateral sidebend that a lot of modern swingers have, and he has a fairly neutral grip the modern swing. Let me give you my assessment. This is something I've arrived at talking with people in my own experience. When I was first learning the modern swing, my swing was on videotape. Here's an old tube television. We're gonna watch your swing on it on VHS or whatever, And there was a dry erase marker drawn picture that this is the perfect swing plane. And so to me, the demarcation point between the classic swing, which is how I was taught as a kid growing up, and the beginning of the modern swing, is the video camera. Because there became this idea that you know, there was a perfect swing plane, that you can keep the club on this plane and it's just going to be this perfect tilted Mary Go round. Whereas if you look at Arnold Palmer, Bobby Jones, Sam Sneed, they all took it inside and put it on that plane. On the down swing, you got guys like Miller, Barber and Arnold Palmer that wild looking swings where their club head is not on that plane at all, but they're playing extremely high level golf. So by the nineties we started to see all golf instruction moving towards us keep the feet planted, put the club on that perfect plane. In order to start it off on the plane, the club head has to go back outside the hands in order to draw it up that perfect circle. All this stuff is completely arbitrary and makes no difference at all. Because the reason I say this is because the Hall of Fame is filled with golfers where that club is all over the place on the back swing. It's not like the top ten guys all kept it on that plane.
Speaker 2: I remember when all of a sudden, I don't remember what year it was. You probably you have a much better memory than I do, when all of a sudden, everybody's problem became, oh my god, they're swinging over the top right. Yeah, and then it But and I love what you're saying, which is that's not the flaw. That's actually what you're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: So in my book, the way I look at it, I want to coil as much as I can to my trail side for power. And I told you Roger Dunn was the first person who said take your left hand and put in your right pocket. The only difference between the modern swing and the classic swing is the classic swing you did not lift the arms prematurely. He's kept the upper arms connected so as you turned, the arms are low. And then once you lift the arms later in order to get back on plane, you're going to see this little over move. Okay. The modern swing people lift the arms sooner to keep that club on that plane. So it's on that plane on the way down. If I was throwing a bar all into the ground. I'm not gonna take it artificially up this plane line and throw it down into the ground. I'm gonna take it back to the inside and throw it down. That's the most power if I was gonna throw a punch, if I was throwing, you know, that's how the shoulder is designed. So to me, it makes more sense to take it inside, coil to the max, and then drop the hammer.
Speaker 2: How hard is it for people to pick that up.
Speaker 1: It's the easiest thing I've found. I've been obsessed with the golf swing for fifty years. You know, Okay, it's what kids do naturally. If you give them a golf club, they're gonna whip it back to the inside and then hit down on it.
Speaker 2: One of my kids was a good baseball player and as a great arm, and you know, it was a good hitter, and it took him about two rounds before he caught one. He's hitting the to eighty two ninety because nobody had fixed him. He was taking a totally natural swing at it.
Speaker 1: Take a kid, they can hit it too. Eighty two ninety. You know that has that natural pattern. And imagine they were able to refine that for about eighteen months and learn how to putt, chip, hit wedge shots. I bet you they're going to be one of those people that's around that scratch level.
Speaker 2: How similar is the is the swing to the putting stroke? You know? Is there something people can take from what you do and apply it to their putting that will help them.
Speaker 1: I've got a friend who's a plus four handicap. He's like, Chris Man, I'm playing really good golf lately, but my putting like he missed. He had this like twenty footer per eagle and he ran at like seven feet past and missed the putt. Coming back, He's like, man, but I'm putting like crap. I'm like, are you working on your putting? He goes.
Speaker 2: Right. The problem with the average kid is they don't want to practice putting the short game I did.
Speaker 1: In the nineteen forties, Bobby Locke from South Africa, he was winning a lot. He was probably the greatest player you know in that era. And he came to America and he wrote a book and in the nineteen forties he said that Ben Hogan was the best putter on tour. Really in nineteen forty nine, Ben Hogan had the accident, gradually lost sight in his left eye, which was his dominant eye, and his depth perception got worse and worse, and he developed the yips. This is my understanding of what happened to mister Hogan.
Speaker 2: Now what that's the biggest breakthrough thing you do with students where people suddenly get it.
Speaker 1: The thing that most of my students come to me for is to learn how to compress the golf ball. That's probably the thing that they admire the most about what I do in my swing and they want to get it. And so the main thing that I want them to understand is impact alignments. Okay, so if I'm going to compress a golf ball, for example, I wouldn't be able to hit down with say I've got an eight iron. If I wanted to compress a golf ball, if my weight was on my right leg and I was tilted back, I'm probably not going to be able to do it right. But you hear all the pros talk about covering the ball or being on top of the ball. That's impact alignments. So you cannot deliver the force through the shaft into the ball unless your skeleton is aligned properly. So if you have improper impact alignments, you can spend years, millions of golf balls swinging on the range and you're never going to figure it out. It's the it's the violin analogy. That's where you need, you know, a professional to look at you and say, okay, look see this right here. You know you're you're tilted too far back. You know your weight is not you know where it needs to be. There's no way you can reach the ball and compress it in this way. But if you get here, you're on top of it, got forward Chafflin, then we can do something. The problem is, you know, everybody wants to take out their five iron or driver and swing as hard as they can and hit it perfect, you know, and flush it. I'm like, if you can't do it with just like a chip a pitch shot, it's going to be very hard to teach you impact alignments with a five iron or a three iron that your mind is telling you I have to swing this hard. That was one of the things I was teaching this weekend was I had a five wood and I'm like, guys, I'm swinging it like a pitching wedge, and it was just the same tempo, smooth, and you know, I'm just hitting it long and straight, and everybody's brains were melting because it's like, you're not swinging hard, but why is the ball going so far? You know? And it's the correct transmission of energy through the shaft with good impact alignments.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I've tried to do the same swing for every club thing, and it's interesting the results because it tends to if I catch a square, my driver is great and it really doesn't impact my distance all that much. If I put a good swing on the ball, it's gonna go no matter how intensely I'm coming at it or how smoothly I'm coming at it, And obviously you want you want both. It's interesting to me because we all do swing differently as we move up the length of the club. Should people be trying to employ the same swing er? Is there a different swing when I mean, obviously there's a different swing when you're hitting a sixty, I suppose than a driver.
Speaker 1: There's variations, okay, but just as a general rule, Jack Nicholas said, I want one golf swing. I want one golf swing. I want to keep the game as simple as possible. He said, the secret to is one iron. You know. Trevino famously said only God and Nicholas can hit a one iron, and Jack said, the secret is I swing it like a seven iron. You know, it's he said that he swung his irons generally three quarters. He said, I want to hit my driver hard because I want to, you know, stretchically, bite off as much as I can. Every shot after that is a precise distance. It doesn't matter if it's a six iron or an eight iron. It just matters I can hit my number. And so he swung three quarters, and you look at his distances. It's like, you know, Jack Nicholas is one hundred and you know, sixty five yards. He's got a six iron. It's like, believe me, he can hit a two hundred. It takes some discipline, it takes taking your ego out of it. You know. I'm working hard on that right now, you know, because I've always, you know, wanted to hit my irons as far as I can hit them, you know. But I'm really starting to become more judicious. And you know, like, you know, go ahead, hit an eight iron. Club up. You can always have too little club, but you can never have too much club, you know, right for sure?
Speaker 2: For sure. Now, if you look back at classic swings, and you know we've talked about Hogan, what are the swings that you most admire and what have you taken from them to apply to you know, your methods.
Speaker 1: Right off the bat, I think Bobby Jones and Sam Snead they have very similar motion. If you've seen my videos, you'll see that. I show how they take the club back low to the inside, and then they both have a pretty generous looping motion over onto the golf plane. But the thing that I love about their swings is how fluid and uninhibited they are, all three of them, Hogan, Snead and Bobby Jones. It's like they put that club in motion and there's just nothing impeding it. There's no jerks, there's no kind of like movements that don't seem to add. It's like very symphonic. It's very very smooth and elegant, you know. And so so those are the swings that really stick out to me. I absolutely think Jack Nicholas may be the smartest golfer that ever lived. Actually, I'll go ahead and say he is. He made it simpler than everybody else and obviously eighteen major wins, nineteen major runner ups. You know it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's it's interesting or it struck me that his swing in some ways. I mean, I would like give anything to swing like Sam's Need. I would take a couple of years off the end of my life if I could never.
Speaker 1: That's a tough wager, because you got me thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Sir, I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 1: Need was the man like when I interviewed Chee Chee. I'm like, you know, Hogan, Hogan, Hogan, and he's like Hogan, Hogan was the man he goes. If I could have putt it for Hogan, he would have shot in the mid fifties every time. But Sam Snead, He's like Sneid was longer, you know, Sneed hit it every bit as solid as Ben Hogan.
Speaker 2: Because I'm never going to swing like Sam Sneaed. Nicholas's swing seems more accessible somehow for an average I mean, not to hit the ball like him, but that type of swing, I mean is there because of obviously both were great natural athletes.
Speaker 1: Yes, they were both really serious athletes in multiple sports.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, Nicholas's background is like crazy. I mean, I know he's a football player or a bad All state basketball We've gone to Ohio State for basketball. Yeah, but so what and a really good baseball player I believe as well. But what was Is there something more accessible for the average golfer about Nicholas's swing? Because I feel like I can I would love to swing like Sam Sneaed, but I feel like at my best I can at least approach a Jack Nicholas swing.
Speaker 1: So I think that this is actually kind of well known. Snead's golf swing required more mobility than Jack Nicholas. You know, he could kick you know, kick the jail, yeah, you know, all kinds of weird stuff like that, but he gets in more. Snead gets in more lateral sight ben than a lot of the classic guys. But if you look at Jack Nicholas, Nicholas even has a little bit of early extension, you know which Nicholas is inside across the line, a little over the top with early extension. What would a modern golf teacher say to Jack.
Speaker 2: Nicholas, Oh, they tear him, tear them down and rebuild.
Speaker 1: Them right, Yeah, they destroyed the greatest golf swing in history. You know, and when I say Nicholas is the man is because he had it so simple. So what did he have? What did did he have that was so simple? If there's these seeming problems in the golf, you know, it's like, let me tell you what my theory is. So Nicholas said he wanted the club to go up and down his spine. Okay, I've also heard him say he always wanted the club to be inside of the fat, right, So if that's the case, the club face is always square. The way he's swinging it, it's never it's never flip, shut, catching up, stuck, it's never any of that. This this is as simple as it gets. Man.
Speaker 2: Right, No, his his swing is really I mean, it's it is. It's so simple, and I love watching videos of him. I mean it's because you just see how over complicated we tend to make the swing. Last question, here, what three things? If I'm listening to this and I'm your average golfer, if you were to tell people, you know, two or three things that they can walk away with that will help them. You know, obviously you're not saying the videos of they're swings or any of that stuff, But like what three general things can people walk away with that they can say, Okay, I could work on this and I can get better.
Speaker 1: The first thing is you have to develop a smooth transition. That is the number one thing that changed my life on the golf course because I would want to play all my force in the transition and I'd have nothing when I got to the ball. So you cannot be aggressive in the transition. You have to learn to be very patient and relaxed, smooth acceleration. Okay. The second thing I'm going to say is that if you're not willing to fall in love with your short game that's chipping, putting pitch shots, you're never going to reach your potential. Now, the thing is I said fall in love with your short game. I enjoy practicing short game. I didn't in the beginning, and if you can learn to do that, it gives you another level of confidence. Number three is you have to learn to grow a positive self identity. That may be let yourself be inspired by your idols. You know, put on a Hogan hat, put on a Bubba Watson, pink driver chef, put on you know, whatever it is that makes you feel like you know that alter ego effect can be very, very helpful because if you have thirty five years of mental scar tissue of shooting one hundred and tens, you know you have to break out of that mindset. You have to do something radical, and that's where the transformation of what I teach in my six month online program. It's all about recreating your self identity.
Speaker 2: A great point on then, thank you so much for doing this, Chris that it was great to talk to you.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Thank you so kindly.
Speaker 2: Thank you
Speaker 1: M