Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pop quiz practice that hit you Pio right in the quizzer. I'm Anny Flora, I'm David Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than There are different kinds of ways animals since the world around them.
Speaker 2: Guess what we're reading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anybody is interested in how animals perceive the world, I highly recommend An Immense World by Ed Young. And if you want to hear about the terrible history of the United States that we don't know about, I also recommend How to Hide an Empire. It's all about the territories and stuff. And I am learning a disturbing amount of information because I'm just like, oh, I didn't know that about the Philip It's amazing how much we don't know. But anyways, An Immense World. That's a happy book.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The most recent thing we learned about is the jumping spider. It has eight eyes, and that the front two eyes it uses to focus on things, but it only can detect motion with its side eyes that has a wider view. It's crazy. A alls are crazy. It's one woman hung tampons onto a kite to see what birds could smell. Science.
Speaker 2: That's some good science.
Speaker 1: I'm not crazy, I'm a scientist. We want to give a shout out to Andy and Michael.
Speaker 2: Aff I think they're getting us a coffee.
Speaker 1: We appreciate it. And that's it.
Speaker 2: Yep, no business at hand, so let's jump.
Speaker 1: In the bush just like a spider.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. No business in hand is worth two in the bush. Two businesses. But it'll take us a week or two to get in the bush, so we'll have business then for now. Here's how the show works. Whiz Quiz, Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions each followed by the answers. After round two, we'll ask a quick fire bang bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the Big Bang, a final round with three questions whose answers are all clues to one final question.
Speaker 1: Round one. Question one, the category is food and Drink. Do kiwis grow on trees, bushes or vines? Question two? The category is music. Conchita Worst an Austrian drag queen one which song contest in twenty fourteen with Rise Like a Phoenix. Question three, The category is film. This question comes from Major Data. Thank you, Major Data. Major Chrome in Hot Leather and The Ballad of Andy Crocker are the only two films with acting roles for which singer. Question four the category of sports. In nineteen ninety, Stephen Hendry became the youngest ever World champion at twenty one years old. In what sport and Now? The answer is round one? Question one? Do kiwi's grow on tree's bush or vines? Vines? They are an edible berry of several species of woody vines. Crazy kiwis are chunker?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You would thank you tree? A Kiwi tree?
Speaker 1: We yeah, Kiwi tree? We all not to b we. Question two. Conchita Worst, an Austrian drag queen, won Which Song contest in twenty fourteen with Rise Like a Phoenix Eurovision. Question three. Chrome and Hot Leather and The Ballad of Andy Crocker are the only two films with acting roles for which singer Marvin Gay and in both roles David He played a Vietnam veteran.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Question four. In nineteen ninety, Stephen Hendry became the youngest ever World champion at twenty one years old. In What sport.
Speaker 2: Snicker Round two, Question five, The category is literature. George Milton and Lenny Small are characters in which John Steinbeck Novella. Question six, Category Animals. The barbary macaque is the only undomesticated monkey in which continent. Question seven Category Society and Culture. This one comes from listener Bobby, Thank you, Bobby, Thank you, Bobby. Which president has an eternal flame next to their grave? Question eight, category mythology. A Senegalese dance called the simb mixes mysticism, terror, traditional dance, and folklore in a ritual to cure a symbolic hunter who has started acting like what animal and now they answers a round two Question five. George Milton and Lenny Small are characters in which Steinbeck Novella of Mice and Men. Question six. The barbary macaque is the only undomesticated monkey in which continent Europe. So they are native to the Atlas Mountains of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, but there was a small population introduced in Gibraltar, and about three hundred individuals now live on the Rock of Gibraltar Wow, which is considered UK territory, I believe or.
Speaker 1: Is it Monkey territory?
Speaker 2: Munk territory? Question seven? Which president has an eternal flame next to their grave? John F. Kennedy Question eight. A Senegalese dance called the simba mixes mysticism terror traditional dance in folklore in a ritual to cure a symbolic hunter who has started acting like what animal a lion? So it's a story told about a hunter who had been attacked by a lion and survived, but then he was changed after that he started acting like when he was roaring like a lion, eating only raw meat, growing hair on his body, and to cure him, traditional healers performed jot an epic speech to praise the fake lion. So h apparently that gets rid of it. And I think you're right if you're thinking, boy, simba and lion sound awfully familiar together.
Speaker 1: So you know that story that the singing in the circle of life, what they sing in the background translates into English as it's a lion. Yes, it's a lion. I guess Disney is suing the comedian that is saying that it's just like Disney alone. Let the comedian tell a joke that makes us laugh. The Lion King is not going to.
Speaker 2: Suffer, nor is Disney.
Speaker 1: Right. That's it for the first half, which means it's time for the Bang Bang Round. The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is geography. This question comes from listener Nolan.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nolan.
Speaker 1: You will have forty five seconds to answer the following question. Name the fourteen UN member nations in Oceania. Your time starts now.
Speaker 2: And that's time. The fourteen UN member nations in Oceania are Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Van Watsu, Samoa, Kiribas, Federated States of Micronesia, Tonga, Marshall Islands, Palau, Nauru and Tuvalu.
Speaker 1: Round three. Question nine. The category is history. Who was the first American to win a Nobel Peace Prize? Question ten? The category is television? Which English actor played the titular characters in Blackadder and Mister Bean? Question eleven, the category is film. What twenty twelve film was a quasi prequel to the nineteen seventy nine film Alien. Question twelve. The category is geography. This question comes from oor Mike thinks a lot. What is the largest city by total area located in the continental United States? And now the answers to round three? Question nine. Who was the first American to win a Nobel Peace Prize? Theodore Roosevelt is also the first American to win any sort of Nobel prize.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Question ten? Which English actor played the titular characters in black Adder and Mister Bean Rowan Atkinson. Question eleven. What twenty twelve film was a quasi prequel to the nineteen seventy nine film Alien Prometheus.
Speaker 2: The reason for my understanding that it's was a prequel is that Ridley Scott developed it to be before the events of Alien, but it wasn't necessarily leading towards those events or in basically the same world. It's like the same universe, but not the same world. So it's something like that. So it's it's like sort of a prequel, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Like a direct Okay, I see what you're saying, Like.
Speaker 2: The Queen the World really Scott and the writers? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question twelve. What is the largest city by total area located in the continental US? Jacksonville?
Speaker 2: All that's the county.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, I'm like, oh, I wrote it, so I'll read it.
Speaker 2: It's not the biggest in the US. It's the fifth, I think, but the four in front of it or all Alaskan, so continental wise, Jacksonville takes the cakes. Round four. Question thirteen. The category is theater. The musical I Want to Dance with Somebody is a twenty twenty two musical biopic about which R and B diva. Question fourteen, Category Science. The nadier is the point directly below an observer? What is the term for the point directly above? Question fifteen Category Games and Hobbies. Released in two thousand and two, the highest rated game on board game geek dot com for over five years, has players assume the roles of colonial governors on what titular island? Question sixteen, Category geography. What is the large ice shelf in Antarctica? At around five hundred thousand square kilometers? A little too big to carry upstairs even if you pivot? And now the answers to round four. Question thirteen. The musical I Want to Dance with Somebody is a twenty twenty two musical biopic about which R and B diva. That's Whitney Houston. Question fourteen. The nader is the point directly below an observer? What is the point directly above that is the zenith? Question fifteen, the highest rated game on board game geek dot com for over five years, has players assume the roles of colonial governors on what titular island Puerto Rico. I thought maybe it'd be Port Royale or something like that. Sixteen What is the largest ice shelf in Antarctica? At around five hundred square kilometers? A little too big to carry up the stairs? Even if you pava, that's the Ross ice shelf, you didn't get it.
Speaker 1: A little friends reference there from when they're trying to get the couch up and Ross yells, pivot at his friends, pava. That's it for the regular rounds, which means it's time for the Big Bang Round. The category for this week's Big Bang Round is Religion. We will give you three clue questions, which all hints to one final question. The clue questions may not fall under the same category. Question one, who starred in the twenty twenty four American dark fantasy Netflix film Damn?
Speaker 2: Question two? In which month is Guy falk Night celebrated?
Speaker 1: Question three, which nineteen eighty four American mockumentary comedy film was Rob Reiner's feature directorial debut.
Speaker 2: And your big Bang question, and in the category is religion. According to the monk Rudolphus Glaber, how old was the youngest Pope Benedict the ninth when he became pope?
Speaker 1: And now the answer is to the big Bang round. Question one? Who starred in the twenty twenty four American dark fantasy Netflix film Damsel Millie Bobby Brown.
Speaker 2: Now Bonjeovi.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think she's Millie Brown Millie.
Speaker 2: Her real name is Milly Bonnie Brown slash bon Gioviy. Yeah, but she changed Bonnie to Bobby for stage name. She kept Bobby Brown as the stage name, but officially Millie Bonnie bon Gioviy Bonnie Bongie and adopted a kid.
Speaker 1: I read yeah.
Speaker 2: Question two, in which month is Guy fowk Night celebrated? Remember? Remember that's in November. Question three?
Speaker 1: Which nineteen eighty four American mockumentary comedy film was Rob Reiner's feature directorial debut. This is Spinal Tap. That's a pretty good debut.
Speaker 2: But I mean his Oh he did great.
Speaker 1: I mean all those films he directed a few good men. Princess Bride one of the best movies ever.
Speaker 2: Like Pretty Tough Loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And finally, according to the monk Rudolphus Glaber, how old was the youngest pope Benedicta ninth when he became pope? The same as Brown's character and stranger things the month number of November and what spinal tap can turn it up to.
Speaker 1: Eleven but ours goes to eleven? So good.
Speaker 2: He became pope in October ten thirty two, and despite Rudolphus's testimony, a lot of historians believe that Benedicta ninth was more likely around twenty when he became pope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people don't know for sure, but more people seem to think that it was twenty years old, although there are some accounts, including this monk that's say eleven or twelve.
Speaker 2: Good effort, I guess for ten thirty two, that's wild. It's more fun to say that he was eleven, because that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine being a monk or a priest and you'd have to assume somebody was qualified? I don't know, not in ten thirty two.
Speaker 2: It was one of those years, ten thirty two, you know, the year of nobody being worth.
Speaker 1: Anything, but the other thing that's interesting about him is that he was the Bishop of Rome and ruler of the Papal States for three periods, so between ten thirty two and ten forty eight, and then again ten forty five and then ten forty seven to ten forty eight. So he's the only person to have been pope more than once.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And he's also the only person ever accused of selling the papacy.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Is that why he got it back? He's like, you could be pop for a year, give me money, you can pope for a year that I'll be it, and then also someone else, and then you could be put for a year and then I'll be pope again.
Speaker 2: Pope Grover Cleveland the first there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's some some nepotism going on there. So so Benedict was the nephew of his two immediate predecessors, Benedict the eighth and John the nineteenth.
Speaker 2: Well, good for him.
Speaker 1: And I guess his father obtained his election through bribery. So there's all sorts of corruption surrounding this guy.
Speaker 2: You don't say, Annie, that's another one that's kind of a hardread. God's Bankers. Oh, yeah, that was that's a crazy book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you want to read a happy, uplifting, not dark book. We're not even that far into it. We're only like, we're only seventeen percent into the book that it's called an Immense World. It is by ed Young. This isn't an ad. We're not getting paid to tell you this true.
Speaker 2: It's just what we're reading right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just it's just so interesting.
Speaker 2: While we wait for the next dungeon crawler car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're reading something that's teaching us about the world before we fill our brains with garbage, good garbage, good garbage. Though, Viva Carl, I.
Speaker 2: Am yelling Carl.
Speaker 1: Mongo is all.
Speaker 2: So anyways, I hope you guys are doing well. Thanks for listening. If you like what we do, please become a patron. Paytreon dot com slash Quizbang that'll get you at a dollar and up, add free episode feed and at five dollars up an extra episode a month, and you can send us a little caffeinated Hello at.
Speaker 1: Coffee like Andy and Michael did, like Andy.
Speaker 2: And Michael did. Kodesh Fi dot com slash Quizbang pod that's how you get that to us. And thank you so much for all your support. I appreciate you. Guys. Hope you're doing well for this episode of Quiz Quiz Bank Bank, I've been David Flora.
Speaker 1: I've been any Flora.
Speaker 2: Here's looking at you, Quiz
Speaker 1: Good Bye,