Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, this is Ryan Rainwater and I'm here to introduce you to the guys that will totally kick your ass at anything eighties knowledge. Welcome to the latest episode of the Surely You Can't Be Serious podcasts. This week, Jason and Dee are discussing the top five songs of nineteen seventy six, a year of disco, funk and classic rock.
Speaker 2: So fire up your eight track player.
Speaker 1: Dust off your bell bottoms, and let's get ready to rock and roll.
Speaker 2: All right, d let's talk about something I'm gonna play. What does this have in common? Okay? Okay, pet Rocks ye, Dorothy Hammill's haircut, the founding of Apple Computer Company huh, and Jerry Lee Lewis waving a gun around outside Graceland. What are all those things having?
Speaker 3: Things I dreamed last night in my fever dream in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: Those are all things that happened in nineteen seventy six, And today we're talking about things that happened in nineteen seventy six, including the US bi centennial.
Speaker 3: That's a big one, and we're coming up with our biosexques Centennial or I can't remember what the name of it is. I think it's Yeah, well, two hundred and fifty, two fifty. We do things the American way over here. We just say the dad gum number instead of some Latin phrase.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. I've got some cool nineteen seventy six stuff I was going to share with you. Okay, So think back with me to nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Can you give me details about Dorothy Hamill's hair.
Speaker 2: You don't remember her little mushroom cut, A little Melissa.
Speaker 3: I was zero to one year nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: Think back to nineteen seventy six where you were zero years old. We have the beginnings of happy Days and Laverne Shirley love them. Charlie's Angels is going strong. Yeah, the Bionic Woman. Do you remember the last time we talked about Lindsay and the Bionic Woman?
Speaker 3: I do. We were talking about how angry she was that Eddie van Halen had a recording studio right next to our house. That's sorry to sleep when guys are playing at three am.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. Nineteen seventy six also gives us Rocky Taxi Driver, Carrie and all the President's Men great movies. This is a pre Star Wars universe we're talking about here. In nineteen seventy six, you have the beginning of you two the Toronto Blue Jays and Phil Collins as Genesis is Senior.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, go back and check out our Invisible Touch album. All right, Before we get going, I want to say thank you. We have a slew of new Patreon members.
Speaker 2: We are so grateful for you guys. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you guys so much. So. We have new executive producers for this episode. A list of folks. And if we've mentioned you as an executive producer before and we're mentioning you again.
Speaker 2: Thank you to y.
Speaker 3: It's just an extra thank you. There you go, and it's us not being able to keep up with what we've said in the past.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, So here are the people that we really need to thank. These are our executive producers for this particular episode. Thank you so much. Krista Elliott, Phil Siler, Dave Dolphin, Alex Croblin, Jason Derth, Brad Sorenson at Pop Culture Yearbook, Jim Butler at Children of the Eighties, Ryan at Scuba Addictions, Sean Tindall, who has got a new podcast out coming called Dibbs Cool watch for that. Yeah, Kyle Ashley and Matthew Brent at Accidental Legends.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, thanks Matthew, Thank you all of the rest of you guys. Can't tell you how much we appreciate it. Dear listener, If you're not a Patreon member already, what are you waiting for? It's so easy. You can join for free and take part in the conversation. Become a member of the Shirley Tribe, and then for as little as five bucks a month, you get access to all of our one hit Wonder episodes and some novelty songs, some Christmas songs.
Speaker 2: Plus you get all this stuff early and commercial free.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right. If you don't like the commercials on our podcast and you're like, man, I'd pay five bucks not to listen to commercials, We've got that deal for you. All you have to do is pay five bucks a month. We released these episodes commercial free on Patreon in advance before we release them to the general public, and to all of the people who have signed up.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you truly.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we are here today to talk about the top five songs of nineteen seventy six, and ladies and gentlemen, if you haven't been with us before when we've don't do one of our top five episodes, here's what you need to know. Number One, we don't include any songs that we have either covered already off of the many, many albums that we've covered. We also don't include songs on albums that we're gonna cover. I don't know that we've done that much from nineteen seventy six, but we definitely, I mean Hotel California is a big one.
Speaker 2: I mean that's probably taken out my number one overall draft pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you could do, Yeah, you could do the whole album and the honorable mentions just from that album. Yeah, exactly. And we don't tell you what our song is right off the bat. He doesn't know what my list is. I don't know what his list is. We tease this up, We tell each other stories, get a little trivia tidbits, and you the listener, and we as co host get to try to guess what the song is. So that gives a little bit of fun. Yeah, we like excitement. We're solving a mystery here, and in this particular case, fourteen mysteries, because we will have our top five, and we will have two honorable mentions, and we'll give you a little mysteries on all of them. Are you ready to get going?
Speaker 2: I am ready to get going.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would defer to you to start this show. Let's go with Jason Colvin's pick for number five. Five.
Speaker 2: All right, my number five. I've got this great story that goes along with this song.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: This song was released August of nineteen seventy six, and it peaks out in the US at number seven December fourth, nineteen seventy six. Now, this song originally had a different title because it had to do with a different person, a different fictional person. Okay, actually one's fictional, one's non fictional anyway. Okay. This is this group's biggest commercial hit, and it was created out of a band member or two mocking another band member for his girlfriend constantly being on his case while he was at the recording studio.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So we've talked about that story before. This is involved throwing milk.
Speaker 2: No, okay, at least not that I remember.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, then just keep on going, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So let's back up. Okay, So This appears on this group's fourth studio album Okay, And there's some controversy about who actually wrote the song. Yeah, it's credited to one particular member of the band, although the other three members of the band say nah, he didn't really do that much with it. It was really the producer of the album who wrote all the music and stuff. Okay, all right, now, this producer had a way of keeping them in line in the studio.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: He wore a whistle like a football coach and would whistle at them to get their attention. Okay, and would call them campers, which is so funny to me when you find out who this is. Okay, Okay, So let me ask this question.
Speaker 3: Yes, is this a British band?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: This is an American band.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, they're an American band.
Speaker 3: But is it the American band?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, no it's not Grand Funk Railroad. Okay. So nineteen seventy six American four piece band.
Speaker 2: Okay, massive, massive band.
Speaker 3: Massive band. All right, keep on going.
Speaker 2: This song went on to when the People's Choice Awards for Favorite Song of nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: It was featured in a movie in nineteen seventy eight, which is ridiculous, one of the worst movies ever conceived that I can't really tell I mean, I can't tell you the name of it for sure. Let me tell you the names of the people involved.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So the guy's girlfriend who they were mocking him for her constantly calling in and bugging him about what.
Speaker 3: He was doing.
Speaker 2: Her name was Becky, Becky, Becky, all right. So the name of the song was originally titled beck Okay, nothing, I got nothing, no, all right, let me play this song for you. I know this is not really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the clues that you've given as far as the songs are concerned, are very limited. So I'm struggling.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm tiptoeing around because if anything I say is going to tip it right off, well give it away.
Speaker 3: A little bit. Then. What's the name of the movie.
Speaker 2: The name of the movie is Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the band is Kiss, Yes, and it's not I want to rock and roll all the item party every day? Is it Beth?
Speaker 2: It's Beth?
Speaker 3: Okayd hear you call in?
Speaker 2: But I can't come home.
Speaker 4: And now.
Speaker 3: Me and the boars.
Speaker 4: And we just can't fin side.
Speaker 2: Okay, I might get ridiculed because I know Kiss fans hate that song. I don't care.
Speaker 3: I love it well if I don't like Kiss in general, but that song is actually kind of Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, wait a minute. What you have said many times you don't like Kiss? True, I wouldn't call myself a Kiss fan. Yeah, but what are we doing if we don't cover Kiss at some point?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We probably should. I guess.
Speaker 2: This was the B side to Detroit Rock City. Okay, yeah, okay, and it was originally just a B side song, but it got so much radio play that it became an A side.
Speaker 3: Okay, very good.
Speaker 2: That was my number five. Okay, you're a number.
Speaker 3: Five, so all right, here we go. This is D's number five. All right. Now. Middle of this song, you have a guest musician named Paul Prestopino. Okay, Paul Prestopino.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: He was one of the backup guys session musicians for Peter, Paul and Mary for about fifteen years. Okay, Now, what's gonna surprise you once you know what the song is. Is that the instrument that he's playing and this song is the banjo. Okay, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Think, okay, nineteen seventy six banjo, all right, yes.
Speaker 3: It's not Bernie Bernie En, not Bernie Leeden. Yep. This album, I would say, is one of the albums cited as influential albums for most of the bands that we've covered. I mean, if you got to pick one, like, which album did these bands site as super influential in their upbringing? Specifically, I can remember Nikki six talking about it and the Heroin Diaries and it was a favorite. It was on what Kurt Cobain wrote in a little notebook in top fifty Nirvana albums, and there was all the albums that influenced him, and this was one of those albums. Okay. Now, when you hear this song come on, for about the first twenty seconds, you're thinking, oh, this is gonna be a slow song and you might be tempted to skip it because you're in the mood to rock. Well, just wait till twenty two seconds, because at twenty two seconds it starts to rock. Now, this band is known for its lead guitarist and its lead singer, obviously, but it's one of those bands that, like everybody knows, it's like Richie Sambora and bon Jovi. Like everybody knows who the lead guitarist is. It's unmistakable, right.
Speaker 2: I know who the band is, and I know the album you're referring to, but I don't know the song yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the song is by the rhythm guitarist. Now, I say that he's played lead on plenty of songs before, but he's kind of the background guy as far as the guitar goes. You've got guitar God and this other guy who writes this really incredible song and deserves complete credit for it. And I know, I know that you figured out the band, but that was the band where the milk was thrown.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's right. I forgot about that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Now that's all the clues that I have for this song. Okay, you tell me who you think the band is.
Speaker 2: So I'm ninety nine point nine percent.
Speaker 3: I mean it's Aerosmith, that is correct.
Speaker 2: The album is Gems No, but close rocks, yes, Rocks rocks, yes, my gyms rocks. Is it back in the saddle again?
Speaker 3: No? Great? Guess this one. Let me play it for you.
Speaker 2: This is Last Child? Excellent?
Speaker 5: Eh?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Good good, good, great tune love. It might be the shortest song on my list. Nineteen seventy six was full of extended play songs.
Speaker 2: Interesting, yeah, okay, all right, we might hear something related to this later on.
Speaker 3: Okay, very great, very good. All right, I'm deferring to you for your number four. Four.
Speaker 2: So we have a rule when we do these best of lists, we don't include songs that we've covered, right, I'm gonna say that we technically haven't covered this song, although we talked about it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: We talked about it because it was in the history of a band that we covered within the past year or so.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, yep.
Speaker 2: Now, this song was a change of pace for this band, Okay. And because of the success of this particular song, huh, it literally fractured the band, change the course of their life, set their tone moving forward for eternity.
Speaker 3: Okay, got an idea.
Speaker 2: It was like they swallowed a poison pill in nineteen seventy six that didn't kill them until nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Now, this won't give it away for our listeners and even our viewers, but is one of their albums right above my head up there, yes, okay, all right, so I got the band.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think maybe.
Speaker 3: That might be the album.
Speaker 2: It could be on that album right there. Yes, you've got it, You've got it. So this song hits number one October twenty third, nineteen seventy six, where it stays for two weeks. It's one of only five non disco number ones in nineteen seventy six. Yep, it's their first number one hit, and it won a Grammy for Best Vocal Performance for a Group.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this group had an incredible guitarist who came to an incredibly tragic end. And it was the bass player that came up with this song and sang it, and that's what fractured the band's So the bass player's name was Peter Saterra. Yes, the band's name is Chicago. Yes, and this is if you leave me now.
Speaker 4: You'll take away the bar.
Speaker 2: We talked about how this led them on the road to Balladtown and forever changed and morphed the band for eternity. This knocked Disco Duck out of the number one spot.
Speaker 3: Disco Duck was on my radar for being on this list. I will tell you that.
Speaker 2: That's like the worst song I really hope it does not show up. Crazily.
Speaker 3: Disco Duck came up in conversation the same day that I listened to it at work. Disco Duck popped out. I was like, I don't know what's going about, Like this is a sign or something.
Speaker 2: Hey, I've got one little, one more little story on this one, which seems completely implausible to me.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: We talked about how Peter Starr was kind of on the outside looking in with the original guys who created this band.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit, and including you know.
Speaker 2: You've got a guitar player, you got the drummer, you got the horn guys.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So Walter Perizaider, who was the sax player, one of the horns guys. Yes, when he first heard it on the radio, he thought, huh, this song sounds a lot like Paul McCartney. Didn't recognize it his own song.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: All right to your number four, sir, All right, here we go, my number four.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to give you history on this one. I mean it is history because it happened I guess twenty five years ago. But this is much later on after the life of this song. So in two thousand and one. This became the first song that this artist approved a rap group to sample.
Speaker 2: Okay, two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and one. Now, I know that in the last couple of years, I know that Eminem has kind of sampled one of his songs, and I remember seeing him talk about that, But this was the first one. He approved it to be covered by run DMC. Shout out Deaf Dave. And by the way, by the way, we got some stuff coming up here. We got the re release of run DMC versus Beastie Boys, so you guys be sure to hit that subscribe button. We got Deaf Dave as our guest host on that one, and it's going to be fantastic. Yeah. But anyway, he had run DMC and Everlast covered the song, Okay, or used it for a sample.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, we're not talking eighty six, We're talking seventy six.
Speaker 3: We're talking seventy six, yes, but the cover captains in two thousand and one. Even more recent than that. Now, there is a movie from before this song, nineteen sixty nine movie by Woody that shares this the name of this song, but they are unrelated. Okay, all right, all right, all right, The song was inspired by the lead singer and songwriters trips that he used to take when he was a kid with his family. They would be on the road and he'd be listening to the radio, and this was just like his road trip song. Now, what's interesting is that it's not like a family going on a road trip. It's like a couple going on a road trip. And the song is almost a movie in itself, and a movie where the criminals get away. At the end, man, okay, they headed down to Mexico. I mean, all right, it sounds familiar. I'm gonna give you. I'm gonna give you a little bit more of h before I give you this, all right, and this this song reached number eleven in nineteen seventy six. And the song is about a couple who either get away with murder or get away with attempted murder. They both have two.
Speaker 2: Names, Billy Joe and Bobby Sue, and.
Speaker 3: The sheriff who's after them also has two names. Ah, okay, Billy Jack.
Speaker 2: Billy Jack. There we go this Okay, I got it, I got it, Okay, Okay, so go ahead, Well, okay, so this is Steve Miller Band, which I have been saying we need to cuver Steve Miller band for the longest time, and.
Speaker 3: We have we don't have him on the schedule yet.
Speaker 2: So this is take the money and run, you got it?
Speaker 5: Adopting the Joe and Bobby so house good. I'm watching too.
Speaker 2: That's a good Those are good clues, man, those are good. Yeah, I'm disappointed myself an catch on quicker. All right, ready, yeah, so number three for me?
Speaker 3: Number three three.
Speaker 2: This is tricky because how do I how do I tell you about this without telling you too much?
Speaker 3: Okay? Okay.
Speaker 2: So this was a song that was originally they weren't sure whether it was going to be a duet or not. Okay, And in fact, when they went to the studio and they divvied up the lines that it was like ninety percent one singer and ten percent the other singer. And the producer's like, well, wait a minute, is this a duet or like a guest appearance? He goes, no, no, duet, and he's like, well, well you got to divide up the lines better. Okay.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So the the original part, you know, the guy who wrote it, he sings it. The duet part of it was originally offered to Dusty Springfield.
Speaker 3: Okay, Dusty Springfield, son of a preacher, Many Springfield.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The reason why Dusty Springfield could not do this song okay, These are the reasons given, and I have not dove into the specifics on this.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Alcoholism she had it or she was against it, and it was mentioned in the South. She took a hard stance against alcoholism. She had alcoholism, okay, she had drug addiction, uh huh. And the third self harm.
Speaker 3: Okay, so she was suffering from these things. Was just why she couldn't do the duet part of this.
Speaker 2: That's right, Okay, that's right. Keep it rolling, okay. This is the original Guy's sixth number one hit in four years.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Literally here arrives on the scene knocking out of the park left and right. Okay, but it's his last until nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, So big Gap in time there released June nineteen seventy six. Any idea where I'm going with this?
Speaker 3: Not a clue. You're going to have to give you more than this? All right? Here you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: So the original singer called his co writing partner, Okay, it's a very famous writing partnership.
Speaker 3: I assume this is a female since the Dusty Springfield was suppose to do it but couldn't.
Speaker 2: I maybe leading you straight here.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a male part.
Speaker 2: And then there was the to be filled Dusty Springfield part.
Speaker 3: Right, so she didn't fill it with another female singer filled it with the male singer.
Speaker 2: No, he called his songwriting partner, who's a male Okay, this is not the singer, all right, Okay, this person was in Barbados and was drunk and sunburned, and the singer said, hey, I've got a title. I want you to work on this for me. The guy pulled himself out of the pool, stuck his head in the ice bucket, and got to work on this. Bernie pulled himself out, Bernie pulled himself other the artist came up with something in about ten minutes. Okay, Now, then this song has been sung by the original singer and this woman, plus RuPaul, Minnie Mouse, Miss Piggy, Okay, the Spice Girls, and many other people.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. Okay, So the artist is Elton John, Yes. The co singer is Kiki d Yes. The song I cannot remember. I mean I obviously know the song because I know the two people who sing it, but I just can't bring the title to my head right now.
Speaker 2: It's shocking to me that you know it's Kiki D and you don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just it's it's there in the It's in the hidden room. It's got that gotta be unlocked. Play the play the musical key for me. Let me see if I get it. Don't breaking, don't go breaking my hearts.
Speaker 2: Good job, it'll stick that landing.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 2: This was the number two Billboard song for nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Excellent choice.
Speaker 2: Love it, Thank you just for that. I almost wore pink overalls. You and geeky me and Kky all right, here we are. This is my number three, you number three, number three?
Speaker 3: All right? This song is kind of a one hit wonder, and maybe just a one hit wonder. I don't I can't think of another song. I'm sure that these guys had something, but again, this is just barely alive at this point, right But the song, the band's name? You ever place? You ever play scrabble with your siblings? Yeah? Did you ever put down a word that you were like? No? That's a word, and they're like, that is not a word. I'm like, no, that's really a word. You've done that.
Speaker 2: Quild you bow, yeah, quidjebo.
Speaker 3: So the name of this band came from the lead singer doing this with his brother. He put this name down and he's like, that's a thing, and his brother's like, that is not a thing. He's like, it's a thing. Okay, no, not a thing. So so later when they are trying to think of the name of the band, the other band members wanted to be called Brandywine, but he talked him into going with this other name, this not a word word that he had come up with, this scrabble like game.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: This song happened after a six hour jam session, just after their bass player Tony Stevens quits the band. He's like, I don't want to be a rock star. That's literally his like, it's not like you guys suck, We're not moving the way I want to move. It's like, you know what I'm thinking about this, I don't want to be a rock star. Well he quit just in time, because they quit right before they had their one big hit. Right, Oh my gosh. Okay, So only one guy gets credit for the song. It's similar to your story. Only one guy gets a writing credit. But they all say, no, we all wrote this. Now, if they've lost their bass player, I don't know what's happened. No, I do know what happened. They have a producer and he's like, I'm gonna come in and I'll play the bass part. Right, So he's in the six hour jam session that they're doing. Sure, now, if you get it from this, don't give it away, all right, Yeah, if you have to be a news radio fan, no, okay. Well, like one of the characters, anytime somebody like the guy would fall asleep on the desk, he would play this song at full volume to make him wake up. Okay, all right, all right, Now there is a significant tempo increase in this song, which is ironic given the name of the song. Okay, but it's less ironic when you know the subject of the song.
Speaker 2: So wait, wait, wait, okay, Yeah, does this have to do with speed in some way?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So the drum comes in on the two in the four, I had to count it. I was like, I got to call it James Buckley. I didn't have time. I was just like, Okay, I'm gonna listen to this, and like, that's on the two in the four, so you the drum comes in on the two in the four, so the guitar has to start playing after the drum's played for a minute. But the drum comes in, and people have said this sounds like the headboard banging against the wall, okay, which again goes to the subject of the song, which I don't want to say the first line because it'll give it away, but the next one is go down, hold me, roll me. You get an idea what the subject of the song might be.
Speaker 2: No, I have no idea what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me play a Duran Duran song for you. So as I said, the tempo increase is ironic given the name of the song, but not ironic given that the song is clearly about sex. Okay, is this the head banging gets faster at the end. The headboard banging gets faster at the end.
Speaker 2: I'm getting what you're putting out is this slow ride? It is heay by foghet.
Speaker 3: You got it? Whoo that's a word. It is not no such thing as a fog cat that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good story. Okay, there you go. I have a feeling that's one of the like the first songs that you learned at guitar lessons or something.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I've been playing guitar for a long time before I became familiar with the song. The reason I became familiar with this song was dacing confused. This is the song that was playing at the end of the movie as they drive off into the sunset to go see the concert.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we need to cover that movie at someone.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in that soundtrack. Oh my gosh, what a soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it. All right, all right, we on to my number.
Speaker 3: What are we on? Two? Two? Yep?
Speaker 2: Number two.
Speaker 3: Two? All right.
Speaker 2: Do you remember a few years ago when we did Best of nineteen eighty nine and I had a song that I said, I think I could make a solid case that this song could appear in our Best of nineteen eight eighty seven, Best of nineteen eighty eight, and Best of nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that, not specifically?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, that song, if you want to go back and listen to it, was Welcome to the Jungle. Okay, appetite was released in eighty seven, hit big in eighty eight, but really took hold in eighty nine. So Welcome to the Jungle was my that one. That song, this song, I think you can make a strong case for it to be in nineteen seventy three, maybe possibly nineteen seventy four, and for sure in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: So the singer for this band grew up and as a young child would lie under his father's piano and listen to him play classical music.
Speaker 3: I remember having have we talked about this? Yes, we have Okay.
Speaker 2: Keep His dad was a Juilliard trained pianist, and he would just lay and play under the piano to the sounds of Bach and Beethoven, all the classics. And so he started working on this song around age seventeen where he came up with the chords of this song, and he didn't come up with the lyrics until about age twenty two. And the interesting thing is when you look at the lyrics, you would say, this is somebody with a maturity beyond twenty two years.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Now, one of the other prominent players in the band, when he first heard it was really unsure about this song. He's like, listen, rock and roll is a show. It's all about the energy. And the singer is like, no, you got to understand. This is really going to be a big thing for us.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: So they ended up releasing it as their debut single off their first album Like Straight out of the Gate June of nineteen seventy three. It peaks at number fifty nine on the Hot one hundred. Not really what they were hoping for. Now after some success. We talked about this. It kind of happened to Hall of Notes as well. They go back and re release this song in January of nineteen seventy six, and it goes all the way to number six in April of seventy six. Okay, now, then, before I tell you about this particular song, When I look at the top three this week in nineteen seventy six, the one the week this stops out at number six, I'm like, these songs are complete? What are we doing here?
Speaker 3: People? Okay?
Speaker 2: Number three is Lonely Night by Captain and Taneil.
Speaker 3: That's on my list, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Number two is dream Weaver by Gary Wright, which it's a good song, sure, Number one is Disco Lady by Johnny Taylor. I can't remember all right now before I tell you the name of the song. In nineteen seventy five, when this singer was twenty seven years old, he convinced the parents of a sixteen year old groupie to sign over guardianship to him so that she could live with him in Boston, essentially common law marriage. He's twenty seven, she's sixteen, Okay, Okay. That relationship ends three years later with a house fire and abortion. But we're not going to talk about that, okay. And this is widely like, nobody brings this up. This guy's an international rock star, and nobody ever talks about this.
Speaker 3: This is crazy. Okay, You're going to have to give me a giveaway clue here, all right. I don't have it. I don't know that I've recognized the piano under the okay, kid playing on the piano part, but I just can't I got it.
Speaker 2: So I told you right before we started that today marks the thirty third anniversary of the release of Last Action Hero. Yes, when we talked about that movie, that soundtrack was really awesome. Yes, there is a version of this song on that soundtrack that is produced and like symphonied by Michael Kaman, like the world famous movie producer, and it was awes yes, thank you, producer, composer. And so this song is from a group that we've already talked about today, the Toxic Twins themselves, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so is this off of Rocks?
Speaker 2: This is not off of Rocks. This is off their self titled first album called Aerosmith.
Speaker 3: Is this sweet Emotion?
Speaker 2: It's not?
Speaker 3: Is this dream on?
Speaker 6: It is dream on?
Speaker 3: That's an excellent choice. I didn't realize I didn't remember that this is a the rebirth in seventy six. I had forgotten. I remembered everything else about that story, but I did not remember that it was this song that is that's great, thank you good one, actually, thank you, thank you. Probably would have had that on my list had I remember.
Speaker 2: That, I mean seventy six.
Speaker 3: So okay, so you're ready, there's my number two, number two, and oddly enough, same situation. This song was originally released and I believe it was nineteen seventy three, oh good, but did not become big until nineteen seventy six. Okay, okay, So this guy. We've talked about him in at least two different episodes, if not more. We talked about him in the Appetite for Destruction episode, and we talked about him in the Sports episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So this song comes out and is released as a single and doesn't do well. In seventy three, he doesn't become super popular. He's opening up for other bands like Zezy Top and stuff like that, but his live show becomes particular, like it's it's people are coming to see and play live because they really enjoy the live performance, and for this particular song, they kind of expanded out and build and you've got peaks and valleys and it really is one that is a huge crowd favorite. So even though it didn't do much as a single, everybody loves it whenever he plays it live. Now, I remember a bud Ice commercial. I think it was from I think it was from the nineties. I'm pretty sure it was from the nineties, and it's these guys, the gen Xers, you know, walking around It may have been it may have been by two thousand, I'm not sure. Anyway, they're walking around the golf course and they're talking about different albums it's just like we it's like why we put this show together, right, this is how this is what we do. Right anyway, so they're like they're they're like, oh, but what about this album? Well what about this album? And then the kind of the climax of the commercial, they mention the album that this song is on, and they're like a moment of silence for this album and they all stop and are respectful about this album, which at the time I was like, I don't even I don't know that album. Now I know this song, I know several of the songs off of this album, but it's this live version that comes out that at that point the song takes off.
Speaker 2: I have an inkling, but keep going.
Speaker 3: Okay, first you need to know that this guy played at homer Palooza on The Simpsons, and in that episode he did play himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, wait, wait, is this one of those albums where like everybody had a copy of this album in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: Probably Okay, I don't know, okay, Okay. The title of this song is not what he sings in the chorus. It's close, but he's changing a pronoun, changing a pronoun, right, and We mentioned it on our Guns N' Roses episode because Slash uses a certain device when he plays his guitar on one of the songs, which I found out. I didn't realize this until I started going to live shows. I thought it was something where like your voice was fed into the pedal and then it goes into the guitar, and that's what you hear. That's not what's happening. What's happening is the guitar comes into the pedal. The tube that runs up to your mouth is actually playing the music and you're just talking and it's picking it up through the microphone. It's not the amp. This is very interesting. So that particular thing comes up, you mention it and I'm like, oh, yeah, most famous because of this album and this song. And you're like, oh, i'd make a case it was Richie Sambora and I was like, yeah, but you would be wrong because it's definitely this. This is where it all begins, right here is this song now. That's why we mentioned him on the Appetite for a Destruction episode. Why we mentioned him on the Huey Lewis episode is where Sweet Sweet Connie, the groupie had had had to name two people, the biggest and the smallest, and Huey Lewis was the biggest and this guy sadly was the smallest.
Speaker 2: But he was all over the place in nineteen seventy six and probably had many lovely encounters with the ladies. Sure, I know who this is, okay, and I think I know the song. Okay, this is Peter Frampton, Yes, off of Frampton Comes Alive. Yes, And is this show me the Way?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Is this baby I love your Way?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Is this do you feel like I.
Speaker 6: Do?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Hell, yes it is. Yes. Now I will mention one other thing because this just might happen to come up in the future of this episode. When he's using his talkbox, there's a thing that he says that I'm like, dude, you can't say that in a song and everybody else heard it the same way I do. Okay, I wanna f you is what it sounds like he's saying. Now, what I read is that's a misheard lyric. I'm like, yeah, well, he's not saying I want to feel you. I promise you that that's not what's coming out of his mouth. I don't care how to story the guitarist, but Anyway, there you go. That's he decided to use that talk box after the When he was a little kid, he would listen to Radio Luxembourg. That was the sound of their intro of the Radio Luxembourg with that talkbox.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we talked about Radio Luxembourg for the first time? Pretty sure it was our first Patreon episode.
Speaker 3: Oh was it? Okay?
Speaker 2: Do you remember our first Patreon episode us the Buggles video Killed the Radio Star? And I'm pretty sure those guys listened to Day Luxembourg.
Speaker 3: Right, Another couple of side notes on this one. The lyric do you feel like I do? You? Villians was a placeholder. He didn't know. He was like, he was like, I'm going to change this later. I just he had had a lot of wine the night before. Okay, he wasn't feeling great, and so do you feel like I do? Like to the guys who were he's probably partying with That's how that got there.
Speaker 2: Okay, excellent, that's a good one, man. I don't know how you can not have Peter Frampton on this list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, to our honorable mentions. Okay, guys, we've gone through our top four. We do our honorable mentions here at this point, Jason, I'm gonna defer to you got two honorable mentions to tell me about two honorable mentions?
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't really think you can have a list from nineteen seventy six without having at least one disco song.
Speaker 3: On it, right, Okay, Yes.
Speaker 2: So I pulled this one just because it's just irresistible to me. Okay, Now I think it's a one hit wonder because I can't think of one other thing this lady has sung. This song was released at the very end of nineteen seventy six, hits number one in early nineteen seventy seven. I watched the video and literally, I mean this is at a time before people knew videos were important, well before well before right five years right, yeah, And literally it's her singing and you know, lip syncing whatever, dancing in a record store, okay, and she's kind of like maneuvering around like product placement. It's her album, right, so it's just like her at a Peaches, you know. So Anyway, this song won the Grammy for Best Female R and B Vocal Performance. Okay, and at least the week it hit number one, it held off Number four Don't Give Up on This Baby by David Soul. Do you remember when we talked about that song? David Soul played either star Ski or Hutch I can't remember which one, right, Yeah, And he was married to the girl in Rambo who had the worst Chinese accent of that girl. That's yes girl, yep. And number three was Hotel California. Number two was Southern Nights by Glenn Campbell. And then this song. Okay, it's a disco one hit, wonder I think I'm probably gonna have to play it for you.
Speaker 7: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Say that.
Speaker 3: What you just said, I said, all the disco songs sound the same to me.
Speaker 2: This song is called Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston. Okay, I love it, all right, I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, all right? What else you got? Honorable mention?
Speaker 2: All right, my other honorable mention. This song reached number eleven in nineteen seventy six in June. How am I going to say this without giving it right away?
Speaker 3: It's an honorable mention? Go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 2: So the woman who wrote this song had read a novel called Triad by Mary by Mary Bartlett Leader.
Speaker 3: It's rhiann and by Stevie n. Fleetwood Mac.
Speaker 2: That is correct.
Speaker 3: And it's not a witch. It's a goddess, the Wells Witch. The Wells Witch is not a witch.
Speaker 2: Is not a witch, my wife. That's good. We had just talked about Fleetwood Mac and in studying for that, I was like, man, this.
Speaker 3: Is August so great it was. It got bumped off my Honorable mentioned list just barely. I had. I had it prepared and I was like, oh nope, I got another one needs to go on here.
Speaker 2: Quick, funny, sorry for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are people that you meet in this world and the moment I meet them, I can tell you. I said, I can tell you what your birth year is. Okay, right, yep, so Hobby, Lobby and Norman. I met a girl named Jealousy and it was spelled with E y uh huh. And I'm like I looked at her, I'm like, your parents were Jim Blossom fans. She's like, you're right, And I said you were born probably in ninety four or ninety five. She's like, you're right. I also met a woman named Rhiannon and I'm like, you had to have been born in nineteen seventy six, and she's like.
Speaker 3: You're right, yeah, nice, good one.
Speaker 2: All right, your honorable mentions?
Speaker 3: Okay, first honorable mention this, this song song's title that everybody knows it by was actually the parenthetical title when it first came out. Okay, it's hard for me to say something about it other than it mentions the genre that this band basically like. I wouldn't say they necessarily created it, but they might as well have because they perfected it. And it's also kind of a part of the name of the band, the genre of music that they play. Okay, Their show for this song would include flying saucer, rolls Royce, and pyrotechnics that would put the Manhattan Fourth of July fireworks show to shame.
Speaker 2: Sounds like somebody I like already.
Speaker 3: Okay, they it's used. This is for you because this is not my thing. This is your thing. It's used by the Mariners every time somebody hits a home run.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Adam Sandler dances to this song in one of his movies, and the movie is click. If that helps out at all, Okay, all right, I don't really have any other way to do it other than the play the song for you.
Speaker 2: I've been outside the Mariners Stadium. I've never been inside the Mariner Stadium.
Speaker 3: The original title of this song was Tear the roof off this Sucker? Is that helpful for you at all?
Speaker 2: Tear the roof off this sucker?
Speaker 3: And that was and then in parents and then parentheses was the name. Everybody knows the song. They've switched it since then. Now it's this followed by in parentheses, tear the roof off this sucker.
Speaker 2: The only thing that's coming to mind is tie your mother down by Queen.
Speaker 3: It is not that, okay. So remember the band contains their genre. This song title contains their genre. Here we go together, the mothersucker together together. This is like when you play that the disc of song for me. So this is the song is by Parliament, which became Parliament Funkadelic of course, okay.
Speaker 2: And this is give Up the Funk, Give up you funk the funk. Okay, not in my wheelhouse, but I can see where that would be a fun song to play out.
Speaker 3: For home run. All right, all right, next honorable mention. This song reached number five nineteen seventy six. It's the first time that they released a single that was actually written by the band. The way this band worked is they had a couple of guys who were songwriters, and they basically wrote all of their songs. And it's interesting that you mentioned dream Weaver because that song appears in a movie from the nineties that this song also or no that not this song, but that another song by this band also appears in that same movie, same movie. I got it, okay, I think all right. Well, there was a German band who changed the title of this song. They changed all the lyrics into German and released it a little before they were really big. Their title was called Focks Gave Promise.
Speaker 2: This is German.
Speaker 3: Fosd Joran No, sorry, fosd Vorn.
Speaker 2: Are you sure, okay, fuchs.
Speaker 3: Which is which was by the Scorpions?
Speaker 2: What okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But uh this the song that was out before this was called Ballroom Blitz. Yes, this song is a different song by the same band, you know, the band Man.
Speaker 2: So ballroom Blitz is by Sweet Correct And I know they were a big influence, like on Nikki six.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And I was going to say ballroom Blitz until you said it wasn't room Blitz.
Speaker 3: Nope, this is after Ballroom Blitz.
Speaker 2: Ballroom Blitz is in Wayne's world?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 2: Is there another song.
Speaker 3: In Wayn's world?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ah, man, I would play for me. Okay, I know this song.
Speaker 3: Yes? Is this this is Fox on the Run?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good one, man. I totally overlooked that one.
Speaker 3: This one. Uh yeah, it's a great song. I didn't know that it was by Sweet. I would have. I have heard the song a million times, but I just never pulled up the artist. I think I might have thought it was by Kiss. It kind of sounds like his voice, sounds like Gene Simons a little bit to me.
Speaker 2: I could see that.
Speaker 3: But this song, of course, became very big when they released Guardians of the Galaxy Volume two. Yeah, this is a huge one on that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, very good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now one more thing before you get to your number one. I will tell you this. I'm giving you a hint on my number one, but it's not much of a hint. The band that composed my number one song had a song with this title in nineteen sixty eight. They had a song called Fox on the Run. You're right, just put that put that inn pocket. Okay, see if it's helpful. All right, here we are. We have reached the top of the mountain, the peak, the climax, the apex. Yes, here we go. Jason, tell me your clues for your number one song, My number one?
Speaker 7: Yep one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and break the suspense because you asked me. The first thing when you came in today is like, is Stevie Wonder on your list today?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Stevie Wonder did not make my list today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I asked that because when you covered a top five Billboard chart from nineteen seventy six when we were doing our Eagles Hotel California episode, the song Sir Duke came up and you said, this is a song that I actually like by Stevie Wonder or don't hate. Maybe that's yeah, but it's not Sir Duke.
Speaker 2: You're not Sir Duke. Okay, all right, Okay, So this song was released in September of seventy six. Now the story behind this just makes me so happy to hear. I can't wait to dive into this, right, this is one we need to get into.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: There's a guy who was a guitar player and he started really, really late so he started at like age twenty one playing the guitar, which is pretty late for a musician, and it just took a hold of his life and he decided he wanted to be a guitar player, and so he started working on demos, and he spent six years submitting demos. Okay, but after facing constant rejection from every record label in town, he kind of considered this song his last attempt, like I'm tired of getting beat down. I'm banging my head against the wall and nothing's happening, So this is my last chance. So he was working at Polaroid and I think he was in like product development or something. He'd graduated from college. He had like an engineering degree or something, but people knew he played guitar or whatever. And when he submitted this song, it started kind of slowly to be played on the radio. And he said one of the things he said, you know, the guys in his company be like, hey, your song's on the radio, come in here, you know, and he'd run in and he'd always hear it like fading out, like by the time he got head, Oh man, I missed it again, you know, like Charlie Brown, right right, right, but the song started to become more and more played right, and so because of the success of this particular song, they were invited him and a guy who could sing. They basically had nobody else in the band. They had the author of the song who played guitar, and a singer who is amazing, who's amazing. They were invited to open up I think for like Heart or somebody who's kind of warming up at the time, and they thought, and he thought, well, I'll ask for some time off for my Polaroid job to you know, would you hold my job? I'm gonna go open for Heart. And as soon as that was over, he went back to Polaroid. Okay, And then the next thing he was like getting offers to like headline, and He's like, well, I guess if I'm headlining, I probably should quit my job and maybe see if we can make this work.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: This song was the lead single off of one of the fastest and biggest debut albums of all time. Okay, any idea what I'm talking about? Uh?
Speaker 3: Not yet. I don't feel you've given me a good history, but you're going to have to give me some stuff about the song itself. Okay.
Speaker 2: So there's a woman's name mentioned in this song, okay, who is actually the name of his older cousin. And when he talks about her being that she's his cousin, he is mentioning her in a romantic way. And so when people find out it's about his cousin, you know, there's that weird factor. And he's like, yeah, but you don't understand. I really looked up to her and she was literally the most beautiful person I knew. Okay, right, And she likes to give him a hard time. She's like, every time you mentioned me, you say I'm your older cousin. Why'd you just say I'm your cousin?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well her name was Mary Anne.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right?
Speaker 2: Anything banging around yet not yet?
Speaker 3: Keep going.
Speaker 2: This song hit number five on the Hot one hundred and speaks about the power that an an old song can have when you hear it on the radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this song is you said, he plays guitar, and he got someone to sing with him who's a really good singer, amazing singer, And they developed a band together after that, Yes, And was the band named after them or was it just some different name that's not their name at all. We're not talking about Hall and Oates.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, no, no, no. It was named after a city.
Speaker 3: It's named after a city. Is this guy like, do you like go to Mit and stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He did, okay, And the city that it's named after is where the band Aerosmith came from. Yes, so this song is by Boston. Yes, and tell me what do you what? You said?
Speaker 2: The her name is Mary Anne.
Speaker 7: Oh crap, what is the Boston.
Speaker 2: Ah? I see my Marianne.
Speaker 3: I got it. I'm just ta can hear it? I just can't think of the title of the song.
Speaker 2: The song is called More Than a Feeling.
Speaker 3: Ah, there you go.
Speaker 2: You've probably played it a thousand times on guitar HEROD.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've played it a thousand times on guitar, not guitar hero. On guitar I played that song.
Speaker 2: Remember the first time you came to my house when we were playing guitar hero I'm like, don't worry, you'll get better at this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you were a guitar player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really not that good of guitar tragically.
Speaker 2: All right, that's number one. I can't believe I really thought that would show up somewhere on.
Speaker 3: Your list yep, out of the radar. I don't know, it didn't even pop up. Okay, okay, all right. That means we're here for my number one song, number one. Ready, yes, okay, So I have six clues okay. Two of them are going to give it away, okay, one of them will give it away for everybody, and one of them will give it away for you. Okay, okay, so some clues that are not going to give it away. This song they referred to as the toilet breaks song because whenever they would start to play at the first few chords, everyone and they said, I mean everyone, not like just a couple of guys. Everyone would get up and go to the bathroom or go order a drink, or go do something else because they did not want to listen to this song.
Speaker 2: And it's not beth by Kiss.
Speaker 3: It's not beth by Kiss. Okay, okay. This song was given to them and the guitarists that they had said no, we're not gonna do this, and they we're like, yeah, we're going to do it. He's like, I'm not playing the song. They're like, we're doing the song. He's like, I quit, so This song is the first song that they release that did not have their guitarist as their guitarist. They had to get a new guitarist because he quit over the song. So this is how much is hated. The guitarist quit over having to record it, and the crowd would leave whenever they started playing. All right, okay, by the way, this song hit number one. This is a number one song. But the question is why if it's if you've got this adverse of a reaction by the crowd and by the guitarist, why is this song hitting number one? All right? Now, this is the clue that will give it away for you, I think. Okay, the songwriter of this song has never had a number one song except for the song. But it wasn't his version of the song. It was this version of this song. Now, the songwriter has had a number one album, which we have discussed in one of our previous episodes, but this song was on a much earlier album. He released it, it didn't do that well, and this other band that I'm talking about now came along and they recorded this song. Now, this song was given to him on a list of this songwriter and singer's songs. A DJ that was a friend of the lead singers, like, hey, I want you. And by the way, the name of the band is named after the head guy of the band. All right, he's like, you should look at these songs. He said, this song was on the bottom of the list of the songs that he wanted to do, but they still ended up doing it. But the song hits number one. Again, we have to asked the question why why did it hit number one? So here's the clue that's going to give it away for everybody. This song, in the first line contains one of the most famous maybe the most famous. Wait, wait, I don't give it away yet. Right in the middle of the song, you play piano no at all? Yeah, okay, if I said you have to play like you play one song on the piano, what are you going to play chopsticks? That's right, Yeah, that's what everybody is going to answer the question. Chopsticks appears in the middle of this song. And here's why the first part and the second part are different. They didn't know how to do it. And the drummer is just like, I why don't you play chopsticks? And he's like, that's okay, We're not doing that and then he realized, oh wait, chopsticks actually fits and it transitions the song in the middle. Okay, okay, okay. So the songwriter famous number one album, this is going to give it away. Number one album in nineteen eighty four. There's only five of them, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, okay, we're talking Footlers, we're talking Purple Raine, we're talking Thriller, we're talking Bruce Springsteen, and we're talking Huey Lewis.
Speaker 3: Okay, it was one of the five, all right. So one of those guys that you just mentioned had a song that was covered by another band and that band hit number one with it because of that first heard later now real quick, when the songwriter was writing about was writing this song. This is because Clive Davis, he listened to his first album. He's like, there's not a single on here. You need to go write another song. So he sat down with a rhyming dictionary to write this song. But the first line that's misheard, the word that is misheard comes from the first V eight engine that was available in nineteen thirty two. The Beach Boys have a song about this car as well. They changed the lyric. The original lyric was loose like a deuce, right, but they changed it to revd up like a deuce. But that's not what anybody heard when they heard this song.
Speaker 2: I believe the lyrics are wrapped up like a nooche. Yes, Okay, I got it, I got I got it. Okay, tell me this is Manford man of a song written by Bruce Springsteen, and this is blinded by.
Speaker 4: The light, Fine, by the light in the night, line by the light.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 3: And later on he says, gave my ainus curly worthy. Only that's not what he says either. So here I found I didn't know this right. They knew that they had efed up this lyric from the beginning. They knew as soon as he's like, it sounds like you're saying douche. Yeah, well they had. They had done it with like a dual tape recording. The guy had their engineer had forgotten to check the balance on it, and so just that missing balance made deuce sound like douche. They literally went on a tour like radio station tour to explain to everybody, listen, this is not this is not wrapped up like a douche. This is REVVD up like a deuce. But I mean, I remember it whenever I was a kid, my buddy going we listen to this lyric and I'm like, did he say douche? Yes? Everybody thought that. And because of that controversy and that fascination, this song hits number one, and I gotta say it's worthy of being number one. It's a fantastic freaking song.
Speaker 2: It's a great song. Man. I didn't see where you were leading me, but that that's a great one. That's a great one. All right, there we go, nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 3: There you go, all wrapped up like a deuce.
Speaker 2: Come back next week where we will actually get back on track and we're gonna do stand by Me versus Sandlot, which we teased last week, but de's been out.
Speaker 3: Of the country.
Speaker 2: I did, Yeah, I want to a fabulous yep. Yeah, And now you're back and now we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 3: Now we're gonna do this thing. So okay, guys, if you've listened to us this long, you might want to join our Surely tribe at Patreon dot com slash Shirly podcast, where we have more episodes for you to listen to, where we talked about one hit wonders most of the time some other novelty songs. We do it in the same format that we've done it in this episode, where we tease one of us or the other of us teases up a song trying to figure out what this one hit wonder is. So be sure and come.
Speaker 2: I'm on over on Patreon, Patreon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give up the funk, All.
Speaker 2: Right, guys. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: See you guys. S.