Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to another exciting ever episode of javascripts Jabber. I am Steve Edwards, the host with the face for radio as you can see in the voice for being a mine, but I'm still your host with me Today on the panel, we have mister Dan Shapiro coming live from tell Abev, Israel. How you doing, Dan, But well.
Speaker 2: You know it's hot here as surprise, surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going back and forth here. It was pretty warm last couple weeks and now it's a little cool and cloudy and it's gonna be pretty mellow, so pretty nice. As we're getting to the end of August, I'm going to let Dan introduce our special returning guests, So go for.
Speaker 3: It, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm really excited about today's guests. We have two of them, which means it's double the pleasure, and they are both a living testament to the fact that you don't need to work at Google or at Meta or at some other fang in order to make a huge impact on web development. So we have Ryan Carneato and we have Tanner Lindsley. Hi, guys, want to introduce yourselves in case somebody somehow doesn't know who you.
Speaker 1: Are Oh sorry, I hit the plauser. Okay, I got to get that crowd to control themselves. Lots of fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm Brian Carneado, probably most known for creating solid Jazz and my work on Signals CEO of Signals and Tanner.
Speaker 3: I'm the tan Stack guy.
Speaker 2: And for those who don't happen to know, Tanstack is also where react query came from.
Speaker 3: Now tanstack query right, React Query I even I still call it that, which is fine.
Speaker 2: And also lots of other great tools. You've recently introduced a couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we have just a couple. We're working on a new framework inspired by solid Start called tan sax Start. We have a router. We have a new library called pacer, which is about like debound throttling, ate leming stuff. We have the controversial name tan stack dB, which is a reactive client store. I mean it's a database, but it's only for like the client on the front end. It's pretty sweet, guys, except that it isn't right. Yeah, it's it's an awesome library. That's all you need to know. Uh. And we've got like table and form as well virtual h We've got a couple. We're even working on something called tan Sak dev tools right now, which is oh yeah about that.
Speaker 2: We will have to bring either you or somebody else on the team on to talk about that when you're different than you guys already h and I have to also mention create tense ten stack start or whatever Jack these days.
Speaker 3: Whatever we're going gonna call it, and it might even just be called create tan Stacking like that.
Speaker 2: For those of you don't know that is. We actually had Jack Harrington on the show to talk about it. It's an awesome replacement for create react at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have some fun plans for it.
Speaker 1: So it's Tanstack Ranger. I'm looking at a last.
Speaker 3: Ranger is kind of a throwback to my old open source days. It's it's I needed a library to do multi range inputs, so like sliders with multiple handles. I made a headless version of it. I called it Ranger, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 1: See I'm thinking like Park Ranger and uh, you know Jellystone Park and I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably it's it's the most niche library that we have, which it's cool. I still use it every now and then.
Speaker 2: And one more thing about you, Tanner, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're now you've transitioned to work full time on your open source staf.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, about a year and a half ago.
Speaker 2: That is awesome. So basically you're the guy not making a living, so the rest of us can.
Speaker 3: I mean as of nine months ago, I'm making a good living now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so what is your business model for that?
Speaker 3: Then? Well, it's it's different than most others, I think, so I abhor VC around oss. I've done venture capital for my last company, and I've also bootstrapped plenty of things. I didn't want to do that for tanse Dec. So Tensex basically run like a media company right now, as like a business side of things, so marketing, advertising, partnership, brand deals and the like. And that's how tanse Dec is making money and paying both me and also now contributing a lot towards contributors as well, and that's just going to grow over time hopefully.
Speaker 2: Does that mean running ads within your website, within your products or something else?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So tan stack dot com is the revenue generator and the libraries are just guests on the tan stack dot com show every day.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah, I'm really happy that it's working for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's working so far, so we'll we'll see. I don't know if it's scalable or not, but it works for me, and I think that's that's good enough for now.
Speaker 2: And how about you, Ryan, how are things with you?
Speaker 1: Pretty good?
Speaker 4: I've been at Century now for almost a year, so okay, Yeah, like this week coming up marks a year Century So they've been great, been able to obviously support my U, R and D. I've been doing a lot this year because I've been working a lot of new areas kind of for upcoming releases of Solid and and they've been supporting lots of other ways. I've been getting closer with the syntax FM guys.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask if you worked with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we've been talking about how to up my game on video content and different kinds of media stuff like better promotion.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing they told you you need to make longer videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny, No, they were.
Speaker 4: Everyone's been really stoked on those shorter videos that I've been doing recently. They said they were like a little crunched, could do some more production value, but generally speaking, I usually stream for like five hours ish you know, maybe every other Friday or so. And I started in the last couple of months doing like ten minute videos, and for me, doing ten minute videos very hard.
Speaker 1: It's condensed.
Speaker 4: It's like because I picked really deep topics, but I just needed a place to point people too. When people are like, you know, signals, blah blah blah blah blah, you know, like complains. You know, I'm a React developer. I don't get why they important. It's just like, okay, well, can I make an FAQ basically as a video. And that's sort of what I've been trying to do. Find content that's sure enough that people will not like bulk looking at the whole length of the video, but then still get a lot of unique content in there. It's difficult because my expertise is I said, very very deep. You don't really find content like I do in most video content. Like you guys sometimes get really deep on your podcast, which is why I love this podcast. But a lot of video content isn't the same sort of thing. You know, it's either like how do you do this? Or it's like the most beginner intro level of stuff. So being able to ask the whys, I think is really really important and like looking at the design stuff. So I'm going to try and bridge that gap, you know, maybe pick smaller topics that I can actually talk about, you know, in seven to ten minutes.
Speaker 2: So you kind of remind me of that. I think it's Mark Twain who said I didn't have the time to write your long letters short letters, so I wrote you a long one. So yeah, it's exactly much much more challenging to create short and concise and to the point content.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially if you spend all your time like like really like like just kind of exploring ideas and stuff, you know, and taking stuff which way to actually come up to a consolidated messages way more work. I can stream for five hours, but then I'm like mostly done. The video is going to take me at least two or three days.
Speaker 2: You know, that's for sure. Well, let's put it this way. I think that once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do it much more effectively. Maybe you should also consult about it with THEO.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been waiting for me to like level up that. He was like, yeah, I just keep on doing what you're doing, but when it's time come see me you know, like better gear, better stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I did one video for for you Mastery a couple of years ago, And the amount of work it takes to get to just to put together simple videos is crazy. Whether it's recording, I would assume that once you get your setup in place, you know, your your software and your different artwork components and your speakers and all that stuff, and you know what you're doing, it's probably a lot quicker. But that's that's got to be a learning curve just in getting set up to do video production like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I like editing stuff in I'm a big fan of fireship videos and even my articles are like that. I've always done a lot of meme pictures and like like images to back up what I'm saying, Yes, can I keep it going? Even my conference talks are like that too. So I find the video editing actuallyising a long time because I need to find just the perfect clip or the perfect like image to kind of overlay the different parts. So like it's like it's almost on like a twenty second cadence, so like it's you know, twenty minute video.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a lot of clips.
Speaker 3: Well, just let AI do it for you.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I have the same struggle with always trying to find a perfect dad joke to publish on a daily basis and to throw in here and there so I can somewhat they all perfect.
Speaker 2: Stage, they're all perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I got to tell you some stories about how they're not always, but that's a topic for another time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we need to finally get to the to the crux to the main issue.
Speaker 1: We had a topic for today, any topic that we're here to discuss, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So again, I'll give a brief background. A while back, I had this idea of le let's go even further back. I started noticing a certain pattern that was occurring in a lot of frameworks, especially as they were becoming meta frameworks, and that's kind of and I termed it to come back of RPC, and we'll talk about what RPC is and why it's making this comeback now. But when I noticed that, it occurred to me that this could be an interesting topic for a conference talk, which I created and already gave once at JS Heroes in Romania. But I reached out to a lot of my friends, people like Ryan, like Tanner, like Rich Harris and others, and started in Jack Harrington, whom we mentioned, and started talking with them about this whole thing, and I realized that a lot of them had very different viewpoints about what our PC is, how it should or should not be used, why it's interesting or maybe not. And what this ended up is this conversation here. I basically asked both Ryan and Tanner if they'd like to come on the show and talk about this, so, you know, take it away, guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I start because I feel like this starts with stuff that I was doing. But to be fair, this is stuff that Tenor definitely relates to right off the bat, because the first thing you hit when you're writing a meta framework, like the most obvious thing is actually meta frameworks are centered around routing, right and the router And I know this has nothing to do with RPC right off the bat, but like.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should define our PC before we dive into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, sure, A remote procedure call basically this idea that you can in different environments call a function from the other environment.
Speaker 1: Because I thought it was really popular comedy for a moment, glad read.
Speaker 2: I like to use a slightly different definition the way that I like to define it is basically as a method for invoking a service or obtaining data from another process, even on another computer across the network, using a function call paradigm. Are you okay with this definition? Yes, So it's basically it looks like a function call. It feels like a function call. You. It's as easy to use as a natural to use as a function call, but instead of just actually being a function call, it translates to an operation across the net.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The funniest thing is, like my first introduction to rpcs didn't feel as easy or natural to use as function calls.
Speaker 1: I was using a.
Speaker 4: Like soap in Microsoft stuff back in the early two thousands, And if anyone's us that it's like all XML based and they call they get categorized under RPC. But that like in my head when someone says RPC to me, traditionally, that's what I thought of. I thought of these like XML end points from like Microsoft Server from like two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: Memories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a bit of a history buff. I'm a bit of a history buff. So it's interesting because it was that period in time where RPC was effectively dying so our PC was really RPC. The term was coined in the eighties. It became really popular in the nineties with the native platforms for it like Corba or Dcom from Microsoft, and then the Web happened, which kind of killed it. Soap was an attempt to somehow continue to do RPC despite the Web, and we can talk about why the web killed RPC for a while at least, and now it's making a comeback in a much more natural way, which is in a lot of ways very reminiscent of how it was in the nineties, but compatible with the modern technologies that we use nowadays.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, I mean that sounds about right, Like no one was touching RPC after that early mid two thousands period until maybe like twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Is they're like in the web technology, But.
Speaker 4: I mean yes, obviously, when we start designing these surver rendered meta frameworks where we actually have the server and the client being developed in the same place, you start going like, well, if I control both sides, why not like make that pipe easier.
Speaker 1: But I mean that was the motivation.
Speaker 4: The thing for me personally when I started looking at this stuff was I wasn't I was aware of this the soap stuff you know and that, But I was just trying to like I was looking at other meta frameworks, was this is the beginning of all start Like twenty twenty one is actually before I even really sold at one point zero, And I was like looking at other meta frameworks a bit, and I was looking like next JS and and mostly and like you know sapper from and like next and they all had these like API end points, like like where you'd like do this file based routing system with apien points. And the thing that was weird for me is I used to be a real guy for a bit, so like you would define like like in the file system, you'd define I guess not a file system was an auto madeive.
Speaker 1: Filesism, but whatever.
Speaker 4: You you skelton out these like models essentially and API n points and they would describe the whole collection of the whole model of things, and the filesystem approached a lot of these APIs had taken was kind of it felt weird to me because you'd have like a different file for like the general like groups versus like group I D like you didn't put all the crowd commands together like it would like separate based on the URL path, not based on the conceptual model, if that makes any sense, Like instead of being talking about groups as a single thing, you would have like groups and groups slash.
Speaker 1: I d like it's a funny thing.
Speaker 4: But I was looking at these API shapes and I was like, this is such a hassle to like every time I do this to build out these files.
Speaker 1: I saw Remix. I think this was for me.
Speaker 4: They did their big reveal in spring twenty twenty one, and I know this, and when I saw their loaders and actions and the way that they doubled it up on the API side, I'm like, this is kind of nice. It's like turned into a single approach, because what was kind of awkward was that people would build their app in one folder and then they'd build their API and another folder, and it was getting kind of clunky. You do everything twice, kind of connecting it up. And they were like, no, you can just kind of stick it all in the same place, follow the same kind of pattern. The challenge I had Remix is because I've been working on routing for a while and nested routing and with you know, parallel data fetching and all these things. Is the remix loader basically said that this part of the UL loads this data, and that wasn't granular enough for me. I was working a solid gazz which is based on singles. So as you can imagine, there's multiple different data sources. You want them to update independently, right, you want to be to refresh them independently. You only want to update certain parts of the page. Treating the whole page like it was like a single data flow was not particularly nice for me. So I was like, okay, can I take my kind of like route loaders, which are they're not really loaders, they're isomorphic. They run on both sides, these kind of nested rout kind of areas where you can fetch data and instead of you know, hitting API calls like we used to, instead of using one single loader, can we make it more ergonomic to define individual pieces of data you can fetch. And I was looking when I was doing the client side, and I'm like, I love this. You know I can put you know, you know, solid query. This is like a ten I rack in the conversation for a second, but like I can put like my different data fetching things inside this loading and I can manage them separately. If I'm on this page, can I can grab users and their posts and have multiple things and call them and invalidate them separately. And I'm like, this is a great pattern. It works on the server, works on the client. The only problem is you have to call these extra API in points. So I started working on a solution, which was, what if I could use the file system in a nicer way, like better than the API in points, where instead of being quite as bulky and like having these URLs, I could use like a proxy or something like where you could maybe make some types for an object, and based on what path you go through the object, it would construct the URL on the client and then know what endpoint to hit on the server. And I kind of put this together and I call them actions after remixes actions. And the difference is they weren't really exactly actions, or they were both actions and loaders. You could basically hit these URLs both on data fetching and on mutation, and you could call them They're just like autogeneratid APIs. And I remember I put that out around April. I made some demos around April twenty twenty one, but then Solid one point zero needed to get released, and I put it aside, and I basically was like showing people and talk like how cool this was going to be, but you know, people just like, oh, yeah, yeah, whatever, Ryan, and and then and then it was almost a year later.
Speaker 2: It could be fair half of us don't know, don't often don't understand what you're talking about, so.
Speaker 1: That that's that's perfectly fair. But some people did.
Speaker 4: And I was talking to someone in December or like around Christmas time, and they're like, oh, isn't that what blitz JS is. I'm like, Blitz, isn't that next JSS thing? And I look at it, and sure enough, that is actually what blitz was. I basically independently also came up something similar to what Blitz was.
Speaker 2: Which is blitz what is it?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 4: It was it was kind of like a meta framework on top of Next. I thought it was like Redwood, like it was one of those more opinionated meta frameworks on top of Next. But eventually they just became like a Next plug in and kind of downscaled it because but originally it was like a separate product, like you when installed Next, you install Blitz, and it was it was a React meta frame essentially. But it's cool feature was that it had these basically kind of generated API functions in the same kind of way that I was describing, where you could just kind of put these basically API call things in a file folder structure and then call them directly without like the fetch and the ceremony around like that. You could just call them basically it's functions via like a proxy like I was talking about, because the cool thing that the proxy approaches you can have the proxy return whatever you want, so it just wraps the details of the fetch away from you. So it is kind of the beginning of this RPC thing because you still have the API point where you have a file system running telling you like basically where these functions are. But then you could use the path on the proxy like get users dot get or like whatever to actually construct the URL and obscure the fetching. And I know this is kind of crazy history, but you know, like beyond where we ended up, but it was important for me to get there because when I went back to solid Start and after playing with this again, by this time I had met Nikhil Sarah, who was kind of responsible for a lot of stuff in solid ecosystem. He did a lot of the heavy lifting on the original salt Start release, and he also created Vinci, which we used to actually base salts Start and tasks Start initially. And he was like, man, veat is amazing. We don't need to use all this proxy stuff. We can just use a compiler and split these things out, like even in the middle of the files, like it doesn't matter. He started doing crazy stuff where he was analyzing like things further down the tree and hoisting them automatically and doing like all this stuff. And I'm like, this is crazy. I can't even wrap my head around what's happening. But he's like, look, as long as we have a symbol, like some way of it's saying like this is a is a function call, we don't need to use the file system. We can just go like this is a server function or whatever, and we passed the function to it, and now that function will always be called on the server.
Speaker 2: This is where you guys invented bling. I think you called it back then, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, almost.
Speaker 4: Bling would come very soon soon when we brought Tanner in. On Tanner, what this I actually presented our original version like this at vcomp the first b COMP back in September twenty twenty two, and that's when people were like, oh, this is actually kind of cool, you know, because it had types like when you start having functions and you can write them like functions where you can just import them the types match up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'll get to that because it brings an interesting point from my perspective about why RPC is so attractive and what changed, because we talked about how the web kind of killed RPC, so it's interesting to talk about how RPC was able to make this kind of comeback. But before we go there, Tanner, I really want to bring you into the conversation finally.
Speaker 4: So I mean, it is basically almost at that point because Tanner is really into types. So after I demoed this stuff and the type stuff, what came out in the world that we realized that, like, what's cool, You can literally write the function as is. You don't you know a lot of type things that graft you or whatever. You'd have to write these schemas were this the types inherent off the functions simply from importing them automatical transferred. You didn't have to do anything you wouldn't be doing usually for typing. So once once we uh basically realized that, uh you know, uh, I started kind of publishing it out there and talking to other people. I was like, man, I still couldn't get over how magical it felt. And then I looked over it Quick and I was like, maybe we just need a better symbol. So I was like, let's add a dollar sign on it. And I actually told the Quick guys like they didn't know I did this, and I was like, I was tarting to manual In at a conference in that fall, and I was like, man, I think Quick could add this. I honestly stole your guys's dollar sign just because it's like a good indicator.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, we can just like you. It's just the reverse of what Quick does.
Speaker 4: Quick it was really good at pulling out these little pieces on the client. This is like pulling out these little pieces for the server. It's just like inverse Quick and they added it to their meta framework within a month after that conversation, like they were just like, yeah, we already have everything here, and they did it almost immediately. And as said, that's when tanner Gun involved around that point. Oh, actually it might have been even a little bit later, is around when next Uh and React they were like saw this stuff too, and they're like, oh, and they came up with like use server, but it was specific for their for their rpcs, for their server function communication.
Speaker 2: Their Initially they actually had it in the fine names if you recall the dot server dot ts and dot client dot t s.
Speaker 3: That was that was the catalyst for me right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there there was there was like a subtle different like put it because technically server functions start on the server and there's like a naming convention where they're like, okay, these are server, these are client, and these are shared. But then like it's a different scenario because the server stuff can be done all in a single pass, like in a single go. They when they originally came up with that, that was to denote server functions, but not sorry, server components, not necessarily server functions, right or.
Speaker 2: Like they didn't have an aultation. Use client came as an alternative to dot server and dot client my fine names. They didn't have anything for you server, which came around.
Speaker 4: Later, right exactly, So they started proposing this stuff and I mean, yeah, Tenner can jump in at this point, but I think he saw what they were doing and it was just like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 3: I didn't I mean, I thought it was neat. I was more interested in, like what they were doing under the hood with like the compilation, what was actually happening to the build and transforming that the AST and whatnot. But I did not really like the approach to like use client use server at least for like RPC. I looked at it and I was excited about like, oh, I can just throw this token in there and all of a sudden creat an RPC, and like that part's cool. But then all these questions started bubbling up about like, Okay, clearly they don't believe that like configuring and RPC is as simple as a one string Like that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So I want to touch that briefly again to give a little bit of context to our listeners. So we talked about the fact that RPC is about invoking a function somewhere else as if it's a local fun a local function, and specifically in the context of full stack frameworks, it's basically invoking a server side function from client side code using the function called paradigm. So it looks and feels like a function. Now, in order to be able to do that, you kind of need to have, from my perspective, three things. First of all, you need to have type safety. Otherwise what's the point and going back to your or to your point, Ryan ab when disappeared, Obviously it only came into being after Typescript really went mainstream, because before Typescript, the whole typing thing was irrelevant. And the other thing that you need is to be able to simulate blocking you call to the remote function. You want to have it to feel like a local function, which means you don't get the execution back until that remote function finishes and provides a value. And we only got that after we got a sinkle weight.
Speaker 4: Basically, yeah, yeah, I mean, I'm native support of promise is, but more specific to this conversation, when framework started having tools to do what they think, which secularly you know.
Speaker 2: And which brings me back to the final point is ideally, not necessarily, but ideally you also want what you mentioned about vat, the ability to effectively instrument the code basically write something that looks like a function call, identify that this code is going to be running on the client, this code is going to be running on the server and generate all the magic code that makes this thing work. Basically, it's it's a stub and on the client and on the server that handles the whole networking layer underneath that function call.
Speaker 3: Now I'm mentioning that you don't.
Speaker 2: Necessarily have to have it because types trpc does without it, which makes it less magical and and also less fun. Potentially, going back to I want to give Tanner, I basically stole the mic from Tanner. So Tanner, you said that you looked at that the fact that they introduced this kind of magic string and all of a sudden it kind of worked, and you had thoughts about.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, because like details matter eventually, details matter a lot. Like I think what you see is like you you write use server and a function, and that's that's really magical, and it's it's magical both in a sense of like it's doing a lot under the hood for you, but it's also a magical experience for most like basic operations or basic use cases. It's so simple, it's deceptively simple that it's like, oh, that's all it takes, right, and you just you put U server in there, But there's so many details that bubble up that you cannot get away from the fact that this is happening over the network. There are implementation details there that matter sometimes and there for example, yeah, caching protocol methods, header's authentication. There's there's like edge case flexibility that needs to be inherently in the system to allow you to do things that you maybe don't do ninety percent of the time, but you will need to do. One of the basic ones was you server defaults to a post sorry not be defaults. It is a post request in like next jays and React reacts to kind of spec right.
Speaker 2: You also don't have any control, like you said, either over the end point all the protocol.
Speaker 3: No or headers or anything like that. You're you can kind of get it some of the implementation, but only at like a global place. But if you wanted to customize any of that other stuff, you can't really do that, and you have to break out of the system entirely. And I didn't like that because immediately I was like, well, I want to use this with reac query, and that's great for cashing, But wouldn't it be great if if the browser could actually just cash this get request that I'm making, it's totally capable of doing that. And then there's questions of well, how is that URL formulated in a way that's going to be stable for the browser to cash, And there's lots of questions that came up for me around that, and I just knew at one point we're going to need to like ninety percent of the time same experience as just use server. Just create a function, give it some kind of a symbol, a dollar sign or something that would make it easy for a bulk of the use cases, and then have at least the ability or the option to expand and and make that configuration advanced. I just don't understand when people create APIs that cannot be ripped away easily or like dug into easily. I don't understand it. And these directives of use server or use cash or whatever are like the biggest offenders of that principle for me.
Speaker 4: So it's it's funny because as you get guys may not know actually I started with server functions, solid uses use server today because compatibility with react or like conceptually there yes, wrapper functions are.
Speaker 3: By the way, like intense sex start you can write use server ye and you'll get the same experience.
Speaker 4: But it's yeah, like rapper functions are as tenders that are almost necessary for configuration. And that's like positively at least is that because this configuration comes from the client, wrapping is definitely something you can do, Like you can compose these kind of pieces on top of server functions because the server parts on the server, the use server, the server offs and represents the split between the like this goes on server, this goes in the client.
Speaker 3: So it's basically.
Speaker 2: One of the things that kind of enabled I'll give you in a second just mentioning that one of the things that enabled this whole thing is like you mentioned when we talked about VAT, is that smart bundler that's that's analyzing the code in any event, sees it and then knows to generate different code for the server and different code for the client from the same source code. Right, That's the sweet magic.
Speaker 4: We should talk about beat here for a little bit more, because the thing is at this point Tenner and I are talking the keel and we're like every framework could use this.
Speaker 1: Why just use this.
Speaker 4: Only in solid Why have you know, you know, quick make their own version. Why have next make their own version? And Antenner was like, okay, let's let's like just make a generic plugin for this, right, So that's where Blain came about. When it was like Kennedy, he picked it up and he was like, let's let's make this generic.
Speaker 1: The thing that is.
Speaker 4: Bling didn't quite survive in the same form because what we realized was Blain was basically like a was it a Babel plug in. It was basically a transform. It basically transformed a code without bundler awareness, which does work a lot in this in the simple cases, but it doesn't work in the more complicate cases, mainly that if how do you register these endpoints?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Real apps have code splitting, so you might not load all the code in the client, or you might not load all the code on the server. And what ended up happening with the just doing a compiler approach was that we would sometimes navigate to a page on the client that hadn't been navigated to on the server, which means the endpoint wouldn't be registered yet.
Speaker 3: It didn't exist yet, so it didn't even occur to me.
Speaker 4: So like basically, this generic approach, it wasn't enough just to stop a babble and a compiler. We needed something that would actually go through the whole module graph and oist out these things, and it had to be bundler level. So this is that's that's actually why Blaine died. In a sense, Tannor has remade.
Speaker 3: It was repurposed, right. Actually, what's funny is like a lot of the code from Bling made it into VINI.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, I mean at the VAT.
Speaker 3: Level, right, And then what's funny is then eventually we ripped it back out.
Speaker 4: Right, and the other part of Vinci ended up going directly to VAT when VEAT adopted the environment's API, because we're building these things and the VAT team had, I guess their own problem with deployment, like the solved with the deployment environments, like you have cloud Flare, which is different than Netlify and Bursell, and you could build for like different outputs like workers versus pages and all these things people wanted to have, like you know and client preserved. They want to have these different environments. Vinci actually did that because VAT didn't. It was hard to manage these kind of things, and.
Speaker 1: That's why we created it. And in the end.
Speaker 4: As I said, VINCI now has kind of been dismantled, but the environment API now exists in Beat very similar seeing usage to how we used to do it in VINCI, and we still have the server functions plug in in the form of what what's under Tanstak that's now used both by Soul, certain tank Tack start Tanner.
Speaker 2: You're very polite. You raise your hand.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was. I was gonna say. One of your questions went unanswered, and I wanted to answer it before we went too deep into compiler land. And it was about type safety, and that is a massive part of another massive reason of why it all went this direction for me, and it's it's also because type safety. A lot of people think, well, it's just defining, you know, the types that this function can take on. But in reality you're not just writing typescript types and expecting those to get extracted away into validation. Because that's another that's another part where like just sending, just treating it like a function still is not totally safe. I mean, I like it that we that we want to get to this functional zintax of just calling the function and having it be awaited, and it's it's really nice, but under the hood, it's these details you need to be aware of them, and one of them is that you're going across the network. So type safety without validation is a complete lie. You can validate anytime you go across a serialization boundary, even into the URL or local storage, anywhere you have to validate or it's just a lie.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's really I'll let you continue in a second. I'm just clarifying again the terminology. It's that distinction between dev time type safety, maybe even build time type safety and run time type safety.
Speaker 3: Static type checking versus actually run time validation.
Speaker 2: And exactly in Typescript very intentionally does not do any run type type checking. So the fact that you're building on that you're leveraging Typescript types is really cool. You get completion, you get squiggly lines during development, but at runtime over the network, anything might be sent, especially if it's like a public point.
Speaker 3: Right and you know, you might feel like you're just writing a function and it might feel secure, But no one in their right mind would create a rest endpoint straight into their back end and not validate the inputs that they're getting from people. And so the same way here, like you you want to be validating the inputs going across these functions in a special way that isn't just oh, it's a typescript type. So I'm just going to trust that I'm the only one calling it and that my system is the only one that has access to this public RPC endpoint. Like all this stuff is easily reverse engineered and abused.
Speaker 2: It's even worse because when you're doing posts like straight on RESTful APIs, you know that you know that you're going to have to check the types. You're going to have to effectively cast the types.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because when you're losing the types perfectly going into this exactly on transform mechanism and pulling them back out on the server side, you know you you have to do the same thing coming back out. Otherwise it's like, well, this is just a blob of whatever, you know.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, and with and and I forget if it was Rich Harris or Lirental who literally showed me an example I think where they used typescript and instead of a certain value pass vr PC being like saying just a string, they said it needs to be like the quote unquote quote child or quote teacher and nothing at run time validates that some other string is not passed in so you so typescript literally lies to you in this case if you're not careful.
Speaker 3: Which typescript needs to come after that, which is it needs to be a byproduct. And that's exactly why we we did two things. One we adopted Standard Schema. I mean, we helped kind of push standard Schema into reality. It was created by all the brilliant people that build these validation libraries like yeah, like like ZOD and type, archetype and stuff like that. But but we needed validation, so we did validation first. And what's interesting is with with our APIs to create our PCs, we do not allow you. I mean, you can do anything you want, but I mean, the the happy path of our API is that you do not get types in your server functions in your rpcs unless you provide validation that gives you those types. If you try, like, we don't have a generic API to just cast the the types coming back with just typescript because we we think it's unsafe. So that is the happy path. You have to use a ZOD schema or an archetypes or whatever to to get that validation and turn it into types.
Speaker 1: It's funny how full circle this is going.
Speaker 4: And this happens to me a lot, I have to admit, because of the lookliness. Like the reason that RPC died in the first place was because it was clunky to in my opinion, there's many reasons, but part of it was that it was clunky to define stuff. And like it's a challenge like graft Tuel going away because you know you're defining these like.
Speaker 1: To define the types.
Speaker 4: So people get these Jason APIs and then and the people did the Jason on APIs and they like, you know, manage themselves, but it wasn't schema basis through the code at run time.
Speaker 1: And then like but there's a lots of holes there.
Speaker 4: So now people have reinforced on types, which obviously again gets us back to RPC. But like, it's funny the framework author's side, like let's say like deeper on the UI frame side, Like say, guys like myself or people working on React, we're looking at this and we're like, okay, McKenna, this works nice. It's ergonomic as thing. People can build stuff on top of it if they need to. But I have the pieces I need to do what I need to mechanically, and it's and it's smooth, but then we we get to a point where we add back our own friction because of like best practices.
Speaker 1: So that's what it was. Kind of kind of like the.
Speaker 2: Nice things on the web, that's truism.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's kind of it's kind of interesting because because like, yeah, I mean, I love, you know, the standard schema, A big fan of Valabot and all that kind of stuff, But it's but it was, it's like one of those things where like the people building UI frameworks usually maybe the meta frameworks can, but the UI frameworks can't. Can't generally won't push those kind of things on you because they're like they're not they're not in our range of to be enforced because people will have different opinions, things will change over.
Speaker 3: Time, too much opinion coming from right exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's like we.
Speaker 3: Being a meta framework, then you get to enforce a little bit more those opinions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just tricky because meta frameworks have a shorter shouldn't theory have a shorter shelf life?
Speaker 1: Because of that, Like.
Speaker 4: This was always the struggle I had on was work on all start because I like didn't want to make meta framework. I just wanted to make a like a create React app that work on the servers. This kind of kind of tension is interesting for the science space. There was something I wanted to say. You said, there's three things you need for rpcs to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mentioned, I'll said again, maybe it'll jog your memory. Basically, it was a type for the underlying system to be typed or type safe that at least a development time. Otherwise there's no point. So you probably wouldn't do RPC if you've just got JavaScript, a weight so that you can quote unquote block until that remote function finishes, and optionally the compiler slash bundler so that you can automatically general rate the stub code to do to translate that function called into you know, do the serializations, send the message across the wire, do the de serialization on the other side and back again?
Speaker 4: Right yeah, yeah, And you just mentioned it twice because I said at the beginning I wasn't trying to build RPC. I think the final piece that access cemented it for me was the serialization part. Because we don't communicate in Jason anymore with these you don't.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I think.
Speaker 2: You do, don't you the call over the wire is it Jason or is it something else for server functions?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, by default, yes it's Jason. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See didn't And this is one of the attractive to be though. Yeah, this is one of the attractive things for us time because you can trouble sides. So this is like react love this, we love this, framework has love this. This is this is where you can go back and to what framework wanted is. At the exact same time I was working on this, we were updating our approach to doing streaming SSR and stuff, and we were making it faster and more efficient. Like every framework has their own serializer. Some are publicly available like solid seabo, Marco's warp nine devalue from spelp, and we were.
Speaker 2: Going to need to give a little bit more context I think. Okay, so to some of our listeners about why it is that you need this sort of civilization for SSR.
Speaker 3: I think that'll be really useful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, sorry.
Speaker 4: Basically you're sending HTML, which you're like, okay, that's great, but the problem is now you have something ASIC so you can send the HTML in chunks. Let's say, so you're sending you know yes or it's streaming is basically the problem. You want to be able to not only send the HTML markup, but you want to be able to send the data across and if you wait for it all to finish, then just send the Jason and the HTML. Then you show the whole page at the end. But if you can, if you can send different types of serialization values, it's possible to send pieces of the app in parts and then for the client to go, oh, you serialize a promise, for example, and the client go okay, I know this data is coming. That's the most fundamental way of doing it, where we basically describe a promise over the wire. So when you know it starts hydrating part of the page and the whole page hasn't loaded in from the server, we can go okay, treat it like a client side promise, and we know that what will end up happening is actually on the same website page. We'll actually stream that Jason later, but then we'll when it comes in, we'll fulfill the promise on the client.
Speaker 2: So again, just to clarify the need, if I understand correctly, correct me if I'm wrong. It's it's your HTML intrinsic is intrinsically streaming. So the HTML protocol, unlike JavaScript, essentially you can stream it and it will just execute. The problem I think is the order of things is the fact that you that HTML streams top to bottom, whereas you want to be able to stream things and inject them in the middle of things that have already arrived. Right, and Tanner has raised his hand again, so interrupt.
Speaker 3: I just want to punctuate that and say that it's it's about order. It's about componentization of these calls to to say I have something that needs this amount of data, you know, and you can have multiples of those in whatever order you want, And inside of those responses you can have immediate, immediately returned partial parts of those responses and have some of them be delayed. So it's almost like you get the same experience inside of HTML where you can give the important stuff really quickly and delay the other stuff. You get that same capability within each request response life cycle.
Speaker 2: You can see it in this just just to say that. The joke that I like to say is that the big difference between old websites and modern websites is that we've replaced the single large spinner with a lot of small spinners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been trying to solve that.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 4: The challenge is you can see in the shape that ht amount it self, it's x amount or you know, it's a markup language. So these things are naturally nested. You see it in your components. You have components and components and components and components. So like doing it top the bottom doesn't even work because the outer component hasn't closed, you know what I mean, like these envelopes. So what ends up happening is the trick to the h mell. Actually isn't that difficult mechanically because you can put it on the end in something invisible like a template, and have JavaScript move it back into place as it loads. The hard part is that is the data. If you actually want to wake up parts of that page before it all loads, you need to tell you need like a placeholder for the data. Essentially, you need to be like, look, this data will be coming or you know.
Speaker 3: And that's a promise and that's a problem or a substream.
Speaker 4: Right, So we started serializing well, I mean, and then there's different types of data right, like data objects, you know, and different things. So like even stuff like TRPC has like advanced like super JSON or like advanced data types you know. And but for us promises, we're the key for and we realized that we could bring that serialization not just in our original SSR, but use it in our server functions, so we could serialize anything, you know, HTML, elements, promises, whatever. And this meant that because both sides, RPC let both sides understand and this is in a sense like how server components work and React because they can go we have our special jsx on format and we can communicate both sides, and now we can communicate react components of the wire. As I said, our needs are a little bit simpler with like promises and streams, but it works out kind of similar. We it lets us build on really powerful capabilities on this because you can say, return some data with a promise encoded in it, and then like have the data come back in chunks.
Speaker 3: You can make an.
Speaker 4: ACYNC iterable and basically return the stream so the server can just keep on yielding data into your server function. And you write it literally as like an ACE generator function. So you write it as a like an acing function, and it'll our generator word yields and will literally be yielding from server to client. So there's a lot of really cool mechanics here.
Speaker 2: Do you support that in? I know that Quick supports that. I know that, or RBC supports that. Do you guys also support that that the ability to stream a response from ann RBC?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Salades, Yeah, it's in. It's in, Sarah Belle. I don't know if someone Start handles it the best in all cases, but the core technology support to it.
Speaker 3: So I guess side uh side quest here is we we and we started out building our own serializer I did for tansex Start that was had. It was a little bit lighter than something like sarahvel Or or the big giant serializer that that can do like re ex server components and stuff. And there's also super Jason there. There's even one that the remix team built right for react about.
Speaker 2: Somebody on the chat called it a tool boards.
Speaker 3: Cha Jason, Right, Yeah, there's there's a couple of these, and and I wrote a simple one that would kind of get to m v P for tansex Start Alpha. And even even the simple one could serialized promises and serialized streams. But then we we realized that we want to do more complex stuff. We've decided to adopt Sarahvell. I think I told you that, Ryan, right, okay for you. We so we have one that works for tansax start, but we're adopting Sarall because is beyond just being able to stream this stuff. Sarahville has some very unique So.
Speaker 2: What is Serville I think I missed explanation.
Speaker 4: It's it's the serializer used by SOLODJS use both in our server rendering and in our server functions. I was built by Alexis Monselek core team members sologs and yeah.
Speaker 2: It's basically serializes stuff over the wire and then de serialize it. But it's not exactly Jason. It's something else, like like React doesn't use Jason either. In case people don't know.
Speaker 3: For their.
Speaker 2: Responses from server from server components, you.
Speaker 3: See a lot of them that have like it's it's like a superset of Jason that they then encode and decode special characters, special things.
Speaker 2: Look for at the very least, you won't command lines separate the Jason in order to be able to send multiple messages and not be kind of stuck on on not closing the bracket or something.
Speaker 3: Is I think Saravel is very unique and really cool because Saravel does not Servell uses javascripts essentially to stream like to serialize all of this. Saravel uses JavaScript and streams it and executes it over the wire, and it is it's incredible to watch it work. Because even beyond that, I mean super JC yeah, a little bit. Yes, I wouldn't want to call it that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean there is a bit of that.
Speaker 4: And in some cases where the security isn't concerned, he's he's been looking at alternate serialization formats so that you don't have the evil aspect of it. But yeah, it is, it is, there is there's.
Speaker 3: Great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 4: But I mean the power is incredible because this is this is what enables future facing patterns. We've never had things like single page apps be able to easily do basically picture. You know, people familiar with React query where you can like do a mutation and invalidate like a couple of queries. What if you can do the mutation so send it to the server and have the server figure out what the invalidate and then while it's still there. Start fetching the data, that data on the server and send it back, you know, like return right away from your mutation, but then have it streaming back the data for like the next page you're going to visit right. If you have the knowledge of say like a router, and you have this capability of serialization, you can do like single flight mutations and stuff.
Speaker 1: Crap is gonna restart because of not.
Speaker 3: Just single mutations, but stream Yeah, for a minute or so, I'll be back. It looks like, but you'll yeah, it's not that it's single flight mutations doesn't been around forever, but I mean that's how the web worked anyway. But single flight mutations that are streamed, I think that's the most important part of it. It's like as you get the response, as you get the requests on the server, and you start processing things that need to change, you don't again, don't need to wait to know all of the changes that are going to happen to send them back to the client. You can start processing them and shipping them as you find them to the client. That that is incredible, so that you know you're in Validation from the server can essentially be streamed in as soon as you know about it to the client in the same request.
Speaker 2: The funny thing, though, is that that kind of goes beyond RPC. That's more in the territory of SSR, isn't it.
Speaker 3: No, Because we're still just talking about individual requests an RPC for instance, to say, you know, I want to go the base query maybe and then or say I want to update a user. I want to update a user capability. Right, I'm adding a capability to a user, and you you go to add that capability on the server side, You'll you'll receive that mutation, You'll you'll create that mutation, and then you're probably going to have a bunch of other things that need to be invalidated for the user or refresh or streams to the user that are going to be new. With that new capability, they'll gain access to new items, new things, new collection types inside of their application, and some of those items might take longer for you to fetch on the server and give to them than others, So out of the gate, you'll want to ship them a new user object that'll be really fast, So you ship that down in the same response, you push that down, and then you're still working on maybe maybe their team data or their work based data, and then as you get those, you ship those down as well, and so you can start in the same request of just a mutation, the response can contain, you know, immediate and streamed data. It's really interesting.
Speaker 2: First of all, you're turning on a lot of light bulbs for me, so thank you for that, and you're raising and it's interesting because what I'm thinking. I'm old enough to remember the original RPC implementations back in the nineties and one of the main problems with them was the fact that they were built as being synchronous type operations, and because the assumption was that it is kind of like a function and function calls usually are cheap, so you can make one function call for the fast stuff and another function called for the for the slow stuff, or get the call back or stuff like that, and they did I didn't really accommodate for that scenario that you're describing, where I'm requesting multiple data items and they are available at different at different times, and that I can create this kind of a sophisticated staggered response that data arrives as soon as it's available, and I don't need to make multiple calls in order to get all this data. Yeah, I'm giving them mic back to you.
Speaker 3: I think that it even goes He takes that even further. Is yes, it works for data that you request you may know about, but it also works for data that maybe you don't want to know about but needs to be sent. Is it leaves room now for this hidden layer of meta data, of meta actions or meta code that could happen with a request response. So, for example, the developer experience that I would want as a developer when I say update this user capability, I just want to update that user capability. I don't want to I don't want to have to be responsible for receiving and acting on all of this extra data coming back to me though. I just want to trust that it's going to work. And so naturally, what do a lot of people would say is that say, well, I'm going to update this user with a new capability, and then they get it back, and what do they expect. They expect the response to be a user and the new version of the user that has the updated capability. What they're not going to expect is to have a bunch of other random, you know, data invalidation payloads that they now have to handle. So what's nice about something like Sarah Bell is that it's it's not just you know, this super set of Jason or whatever, but it's the ability for even frameworks or middlewares or things in the middle of that operation more code can just be sent down to the client to execute that the response doesn't even need to handle or know about. So it leaves a lot of room for optimizations and frameworks to get into this request response life cycle, but still keep the developer developer experience really lean, not.
Speaker 2: Meaning it means, but a little bit scary because if I'm understanding correctly what you're saying is, let's say I want to get the new user an updated user object from the server. So I do an RPC call, I get back the new user, and I do with it whatever I do with it. But it turns out that it also realized that some group that the user belongs to updated, so it sends that down as well. I don't handle it because I don't expect it, so I didn't even write the code to handle it, but it also sent the code that will handle it for me. If I understand correctly, what you're kind.
Speaker 3: Of it depends. It depends. A lot of this gets into how you use such a tool, right, Yes, you could stream down the code that handles it as well, but more than likely that kind of code would live on the client. It would live on the client side. To say, we are orchestrating this metadata layer right as the client. We know that we're going to want this extra metadata to invalidate.
Speaker 2: So it's a callback that I attached that one, or middleware that I attach that gets invoked with the extra data that happened to arrive on because of some other call that caused it to be sent.
Speaker 3: And we're talking about middleware that can span the client and the server just like a server function. Right, it's middleware that can compose together inside of this system that's extracting into client and server and creating. It's RPC middleware essentially what.
Speaker 2: It is, correct, I'm trying to think of an actual valid scenario and you tell me if it kind of matches. So I know that a lot of times as secure systems have this concept of a refresh token. So if your access token in validates, you have a refresh stoken that generates a new access token for you, and that happens behind the scenes. You don't need to be aware of this whole thing or this whole mechanism going on. So is it something kind of like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I would use this for that.
Speaker 2: I mean you could, No, I'm just thinking about the scenario where you're making a function call for a but that triggers also other stuff to take place in the system that you may not necessarily be aware of.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think what we're mostly talking about here is optimizations, right, kind of like the example that Ryan brought up is like you send off pre crashing. Yeah, you send off a request with a mutation and the intent is known that you're going to be at this destination next. Instead of waiting for all of this to to settle, the dust to settle before you go request the assets for your next destination, you can do all of this in one request. You can send all of the assets that are going to be requested anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Kind of resource sense in a sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What I found kind of interesting about this resource.
Speaker 3: Pushing resource pushing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I when I was working on the solution, was the kind of that realization is that people are already writing their code mostly isomorphically, which means that like they're already creating these patterns. So like running the say the routeloaders again on the server and a mutation and then expecting the code to be basically the same on the client because it is the same code it's source code basically gives you this ability. So like what was kind of cool is yeah, the kind of optimization look you can go in because if you're in a nested route, if you're familiar with nest to routing, maybe the top section doesn't change, only the like the two sections underneath swap on this navigation, so you're like you're staying on the same main page and then you go to the next page. Well, if that data from the top main page isn't being updated, then you don't have to fetch it again on the server loaders. Like basically we were able to use the same sort of knowledge of what route changes and what data is already available based on what things it would fetch when it navigates to those pages, to the point that we basically go, Okay, this is already there and the client don't need the updated and it hasn't explicitly invalidated. This is already there, this is new, this isn't just on this page, this has been updated. And then fetch those things and put them on that request. But the client are the server responds right away. So the server goes, okay, we're going to redract to this next page, and the client goes, okay, I'm going to go to this next page. So the client goes to that next page. But because those promise stubs are there, when it goes to load the data, it goes, oh, no, promise stub right here, it's already in the cash. I'm going to use this promise instead of fetching it again for the stuff that's new. So it's it's kind of it's weird how you can kind of like do this kind of predictively, but in the end, what you end up with, which is my favorite part about this, is you're actually leveraging your knowledge of the client side cash on the server here, so you actually don't need cashing on the server in this mechanism. Like you could still optimize it with like a rettis or something, but we never went through that whole Next DS use cash dilemma or cash stup because when you do server functions, you re render the whole page. It's kind of like remix. It's like that loader bit. You know the whole route sections. So when you hit a you have five data points, well, guess what, you are fetching all five data points.
Speaker 1: There's no way for you to separate those apart.
Speaker 4: Which means that if you don't want to refetch all five data points every single time, you are going to cash them on the server. This approach you'll let you basically use the knowledge of the route and the knowledge of the invalidation from the mutation to actually only fetch what's needed, so server cashes aren't necessary. It feels like a single page app word. You know, the cache is on the client, but it's actually doing this all in a single.
Speaker 2: So again, let me see if I'm getting this, because to an extent, it's kind of incidental to the fact that it's RPC. It's basically the fact that you're controlling both sides and the protocol that lets you do a lot of magic. The fact that it's RPC, like I said, it's almost incidental. It might have been some other mechanism.
Speaker 3: But what you're.
Speaker 2: Saying is this, I'm triggering an operation to receive data. I know that this operation will likely trigger redirection or transition to another page. I can prefetch or push more accurately. I can like you said tenor I use the wrong analogy, because it's not client instigated, its server instigated. The server side knows that I'm likely going to be needing that additional data. I can send it down, hold it somewhere in the client side so that when I actually needed it's already there.
Speaker 3: Basically, and that becomes even more powerful as you stream, because we could do this before with single flight mutation. As you send it, and if you spend enough time on the server, you can gather up all of the data and finally send it all back and then allow the user to navigate. But streaming allows you to respond immediately, but tick off those requests server side and then stream them down to the user and utilize utilize that connection that's already open.
Speaker 4: It's because the frameworks support a signatively. Things like suspense basically will trigger and treat your cached promise or your pre pushed promise, and a new promise would fetch identically. So in these kind of scenarios, you actually get further ahead. You can start rendering the next page before that data has arrived.
Speaker 2: And the fact that we're componentized kind of necessitates this whole thing because otherwise one of the big problems with components is that in capsulation, if you're following through on it often leads to waterfalls. So the fact and react query it back of the day at the time was so great in this regard because you fetched from one component and then it got reused the data in other components without you needing to like break in capsulation be very iplicit about it. It was totally implicit. So now you're kind of taking it to the next level in a sense this and this.
Speaker 3: Opens up new can of worms. I don't know how deeply you want to get into that, but components have you on again component level data fetching it. I'm still I think it's still really the way to go. And then thinking about thinking about the the optimizations that need to be made at the routing level and the SEO level and the page levels to get rid of waterfalls, and that you know these are optimizations and making those optimizations as easy as we can is really important, and we can do that through API design with our routing. We could do it through compilers like relay, but they are optimizations. I think at that point, I like this, I like everything that we've talked about is really.
Speaker 2: I interrupt you again because I have to say that one of the biggest downfalls of RP see back in the old days, and one that I was so concerned with that I actually at the end of my presentation or RPC, I talk about the potential downsides of RPC, and it's one of the items listed there is the fact that RPC kind of encourages waterfalls because you make a function call to get some data, and then you make another function call to get some more data, and another function called to get some more data, so you end up with chatty protocols and waterfalls because the implicit assumption is that it works like functions and functions are cheap. And what you're saying is that you're overcoming it by being smart realizing you know, you can still write it like it is if it's a waterfall, but you've triggered the requests, the generation of the code that's going to be requested in the third request, in the first request, and already be even scented down, so by the time I get to that third RPC call, it's returning immediately because all the data is already there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're getting into what I would call orchestration of our PC, like RPC orchestration because and I think that you know, single flight mutations is one kind of flavor of utilizing rpcs and orchestrating like data flow through rpcs. There's other ones like routing is a big RPC orchestrator really, anything that's providing life cycle based on user input, so even forms or the framework itself.
Speaker 4: It's it's tricky because the biggest cause of waterfalls, in my opinion, in terms of co location is often those two causes. There's the code splitting. We want to code split at the route level generally, like you know, you can do lazy components wherever, but because of the code splitting, it's hard to fetch the day before you have the code to pitch the data essentially, So that's what pushes us to hoisting. And it's necessary because you don't want to load all the JABSKO for your whole app.
Speaker 1: But if you didn't, if.
Speaker 4: You didn't actually do that, then the other second thing you hit on the client. Is that co location of UI and components can lead to waterfalls depending on how the renderer handles the ACYNC in the in the rendering. So like, for example, let's say every time you hit a promise, you throw and it then re renders the whole thing. Well, if there's a promise after that, well then you're causing a waterfall, right.
Speaker 2: And I'm saying that because RPC potentially brings in the third cause, which is just the fact that people can look at the code think that if it looks like a function, then it is a function, and just write the code in a way that's very inefficient and generates a waterfall regardless of the framework.
Speaker 4: Right right, which is which is well, I mean there's two different types of waterfalls, necessary waterfalls and unnecessari stary waterfalls. Necessary waterfalls can still be made unnecessary if you say, move everything into a single function call and you know, put them together whatever.
Speaker 1: But there's a dependency.
Speaker 4: But there's a dependency, right, Like there's like you need to get the users to get or get the user to get the posts for some reason. But if you could fetch them both off the user ID, like the poster is user ID and the user information off use ID, then that's an unnecessary waterfall. The problem is we cause unnecessary waterfalls all the time in our UI rendering. If if because we go okay, well the posts go under the user section, and then you you basically by by using ACYNC in your component, you're basically like putting in a weight in the middle and blocking. Blocking rendering sucks a weights suck for rendering UI. You don't want ACYNC components really it React gets away with it on the server because it's on the server, and server waterfalls are not as bad.
Speaker 1: But I'd argue against that.
Speaker 4: I'm generally speaking it's this co location of data and UI that causes this blocking. The reason I'm stressing on this is because it's solvable with signals, Like basically, if you're doing fine green rendering, there's no reason to await or block except for where the data is finally being used at the end of the data chain, which means that you could parallelize this data fetching for unnecessary waterfalls not only for like sibling components, but also nested components. Because the component aspect doesn't matter, you're not blocking to re render the the you know this component, you're literally just going, oh, I actually need this in this text, in this div I'm going to block there and everything beside.
Speaker 1: It's a sibling. You basically turn all you flatten the whole tree.
Speaker 2: And this is something you know, just to be clear, just you do all this magic for us automatically, right, It's not something.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is run to time what I'm talking about. The funniest thing is it's not actually magic. It's just the way signals work. This is something that I kind of discovered a while ago when I was doing fine green rendering. That pine green rendering is actually it flattens the tree. That basically what does there's no components anymore. You just have a bunch of independent things. So if you fly on the.
Speaker 2: Tree, because signals don't care about component boundaries essentially.
Speaker 4: So if you fly in the tree and talk about async that way, then it's the same thing. Nothing has to block unless it actually has a data dependency on itself. So necessary waterfalls still walk, but things that are not necessary waterfalls don't need to block. So I think this is another wind that you're going to see in the signal of libraries. So people haven't really been leveraging this yet, but it's coming soon and we know what it looks like.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm going to jump in here because we're running a little long here on time, and I have a suspicion with anything that Dan gets into. We could talk to for two or three hours when he gets into a topic. So before we wrap up and head to picks, is there any last word on our PCs? In summary?
Speaker 2: And all I can say is my summary is that we absolutely positively need to get Ryan and Tanner on to continue this conversation because we are scratching the surface. It feels to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, even just what Ryan brought up about, like all the ACYNC signal stuff, there's a lot that we could go into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then stuck is built on react. What does that have to do with the sink signals?
Speaker 3: Maybe you say something about that, let's say, let's say it for later, Let's save that for later. We are running along. There's a lot to talk about. But and you know, hold on, you brought up a good point though about the necessary waterfalls as well, Like necessary waterfalls are still there and they still need to be handled, And like I feel like I've been spending a lot of time on that as well as like, you can still make mistakes there that you can't solve with a bundler or you can't solve with with signals or anything like that. So but you can solve some of those problems with with good API design and prefetching and and you know, so, I think there's a lot more to unpack there. I don't really want to. Okay, there's a reason that tan Stack everything is built to be agnostic. I'm a very firm believer and React and obviously it's it's our most supportive framework, but it by no means perfect. It's it's not, it's but it's amazing, it's great. There there's pros and cons to every UI framework, but I I'm very much preparing for a future where there are bigger, better UI frameworks doing amazing things. And the things that Ryan just teased and talking about with like signals and acinc and flattening signals to to you know, around suspense and things like that, that stuff's really exciting. Uh I. And I'm just gonna gush a little bit right here before we end and say that the things that Ryan is working on with solid two point zero have made me the most excited about what's technically possible with the UI framework since I discovered React and discovered hooks and really got into it. So hopefully it's a good teaser for maybe what we can talk about next time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, look, I'm here for it each and every time you just say when I'll have you on the show again.
Speaker 1: Alrighty well, thanks to Ryan and Tanner for scratching the surface on our PCs and waiting our whistle for more discussion on the truly geeky stuff that we talk about. With that, we'll move to picks picture, the part of the show where we get to talk about anything we want to talk about, could be tech related, could be not tech related. We run the gamut. I will start off with what I consider the high point of any of our episodes, which is the dad jokes of the week. So the other day I was watching a show called ten Ways to Avoid a Shark attack, and I was surprised that stay out of the water wasn't on the list.
Speaker 2: There was actually a skit about that on YouTube where they do a parody of a horror movie when there's the shark in the pool, and everybody's like, oh my god, there's a shark in the pool.
Speaker 3: What can we do in this?
Speaker 2: The one guy keeps on saying.
Speaker 3: Just don't go into the pool, right right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, my drum joke here is not working. And I'm really bummed because that adds all the impact. So I'm gonna have to sue a riverside for that one. So my wife looked at my feet this morning and said, honey, your socks don't match. And I said, that's funny. I have another pair just like them in the drawer. But it boom. And then finally, in a surprising announcement, Head Shoulders have decided to discontinue their popular anti dandruff shampoo line. The decision left many people scratching their heads. I expected not that I need that, as you can tell by the video. So those are the dad jokes of the week. Dan, you got any picks for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So two funny things.
Speaker 2: First of all, Avishai Shalom, we've had on this show a while back, made an interesting observation on X and I literally quote him because he just wrote it very well. He was talking about the fact that will Ai destroy the Worldwide Web because the bit it's destroying the web's business model, and he says it's actually worse. NLM's marked the end of open networks because the cost of producing junk and malicious content is now near zero. We already see this in LinkedIn, Facebook, et cetera, but more alarming in GitHub and NPM. And it's a very interesting observation, I think, And so that would be my first pick, that observation. And the second one is this funny story that just came out about the fact that the UK government is trying to sue four Chan. Turns out that the the UK passed the law that requires age verification before you access potentially offensive content, and four Chan, being an American company, is not complying with the UK laws, so they're actually trying to force them to comply by they sent them a threatening email and they basically responded with First Amendment bitches. And it will be interesting to see where this goes. So yeah, that would be my second pick. And I think you can tell which side them on in this argument, or put it this way, The worst thing that has ever ever happened to the web, I think is GDPR.
Speaker 3: Yes, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't need any more of that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, those would be my two picks for today.
Speaker 1: All right, Tanner, you got any picks for us?
Speaker 3: Picks? Picks them of these pics? Do these picks needed? Is random the room? The randomer the better, randomer the better.
Speaker 1: Okay, why you think about it, We'll go to Ryan. See if Ryan anything.
Speaker 4: Ryan, I'm just gonna think here because I've been so busy. If you guys don't know, I have a little baby at home, so I have that to your pick. Yeah, I mean, I mean, honestly, I don't get to watch or check out nearly as much as I want to that and like kids shows. I recently watched what it was like K Pop Demon Hunters.
Speaker 1: I've heard real good things about that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I mean if I mean, people are gonna disagree with me, but it gave me like it's got almost like Sailor Moon vibes, but like some big production, you know, thang it.
Speaker 1: It was fun, the kids liked it.
Speaker 2: Since you mentioned the show, and to give Tennor a little bit more time, I have to say that I was really disappointed with the second season of San I mean, they had an entire episode which was literally funeral. I mean what the half.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched that one, so I can't.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know, I know what else I want to say without giving away too much. I actually enjoyed the ending of season three of Squid game station to have split it, but oh really, but I like the second third season together. It ended in a I like the way it ended, So maybe I'm made me minority. But I actually if if if you're willing to watch the second season, that you should finish it with the third season.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, is really into that one, and he was explaining the plot to me. I haven't watched the NAVA, but he's explaining to me, and I mean, it sounded the first season is just creeped me out. It was more of a Hunger Games type vibe and it just sort of creeped me out. But he was explaining what was going on in the second third seasons to me, and that's that's pretty intriguing the way they're doing it right now.
Speaker 2: Thank you word for it, as long as you don't tell me that you enjoyed the eighth season of Game of Thrones.
Speaker 1: No, no, that was that was not my favorite. All right, Tanner, we gave you some time.
Speaker 3: What do you got. I mean, I like Ryan I, so I don't consume a whole lot of of what's out there. I'm I'm more of a builder, but there there are a few things that I do I do enjoy. So I'm overly hyped for the new season of Stranger Things coming out, and so we've been rewatching all of the seasons before it. So that means that I've seen the fourth the first season four times, the second season three one, and so forth, and we're watching the fourth season four the second time now, and then we're going to anxiously await number five. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting argument that I had with aj about fantasy book series that tend to come, you know, not yet finished, and then the next book comes three years after the previous book, and you don't remember anything. And I never have it in me to reread that those previous books. So you're basically you do have it in you to rewatch the entire series.
Speaker 3: They were they were so good, and you know, Stranger Things connoisseurs will tell you, well, this season was worse and this season was terrible, and but like going back and watching them, I mean, I'm it's been a long time since the first one came out, so like, I am very much more adult now than I was then watching them, and just the the acting from these kids is just incredible. It really is so good. And and the writing for for how quick they were taking out the first couple of seasons, like the writing in some places, I was like, okay, like that could have been better, But for the most part, we're just spoiled with great content, like what a fun story, a great story. And yeah, I was just telling my wife. Season four got a little dicey because it started feeling really evil, and I was like, well, I don't know if I want to take part in this anymore. And then all of a sudden it went super sci fi and I was like, okay, this is awesome. So yeah, we've been watching Stranger Things and that's about the only like one episode at night and then I'm asleep, so that's about the amount of time that I have to consume.
Speaker 2: How old are your kids, if I might ask, I.
Speaker 3: Have a a seven year old, a four year old, and a almost two year old, So well, I'm not they're not watching Stranger Things right now? For them? Is I just really I just introduced them to spy kids and they are like, this is the coolest series ever made, So you know, they're they're living in a different world right now. That's just as cool, but way more child friendly.
Speaker 2: No, I was asking for the perspective of your free time because, like Ryan said, then you have little children at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we both have little children, and I know that I know from talking to Fran that they consume, happily consume a lot of our time. So yeah, I it's basically at night for maybe an hour that you know, we get to indulge in something.
Speaker 2: So all I can say though is from watching from the other side as it were enjoyed while it lasts.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine are twenty five, about to get married twenty two and Congratulateen, and so yeah, we have a lot more a little more free time. But yeah, I missed some of those. I'm looking forward to grandkids and be able to have the kids into then say here you go, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well my baby goes twenty three years old working in tech.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, So with that, we're going to wrap this up and hopefully we'll have these two backing in to continue our discussion in the meantime. Thanks for watching slash listening, and we'll talk at you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye.