Speaker 1: Welcome to a deep dive into serverlest security. We've got quite a stack of resources this time, including excerpts from the book serverlest Security, Understand, Assess, and Implement Secure in Time by miguel A. Collis. So today we're going to try to extract the essential nuggets and help you get up to speed on serverlest security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna be looking at what makes serverlest security unique, how to think about risk, and the practical steps you can take to protect your applications.
Speaker 1: It's interesting how serverleists can work with any cloud model, right, private, public, or even a hybrid setup. But you know, the book makes it very clear that regardless of the model, threats exist. Why focus on serverleist security specifically, It seems like these platforms already have some security built in.
Speaker 2: You're right, they do come with some inherent security features, but it's a shared responsibility model. The provider takes care of the underlying infrastructure, but you're in charge of securing your apps and your data. And server list brings its own unique set of security challenges.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm all ears, let's unpack these unique challenges. The next part of the book focuses on understanding the application you're trying to secure. It's like know your enemy right exactly.
Speaker 2: Every serverless application is unique, so it needs a tailored security approach. The book recommends starting with a good old fashioned documentation review. Architecture diagrams are key. They're like blueprints, mapping out your applications components and how they interact, giving you a visual guide, so.
Speaker 1: Getting a bird's eye view of the application landscape precisely.
Speaker 2: Then we move on to source code review. This is where you get your hands storty, looking at the functions, run time engines, and event triggers that make up your application. By understanding the code, you can spot vulnerabilities, things like insecure coding practices or risky dependencies.
Speaker 1: This is where we roll up our sleeves and get into the nuts and bolts. What about system accounts? The book mentioned those right.
Speaker 2: System account review is critical. You're looking for threats both from the outside and the inside. By analyzing user accounts, permissions, and access controls. We want to make sure that only the right people can access sensitive resources. Got it, locking things down, making sure the right people have the right access. But this next part is interesting. The book actually suggests using the application to understand its security hands on approach. I like it.
Speaker 1: H By actually using the app, you can see its network traffic in real time. You see how data is transmitted and identify any red flags. Think of it as a security test drive.
Speaker 2: I love it. We've got the application blueprint from the documentation, we've looked under the hood with the source code, and we've taken it for a security test drive. Now let's talk threats.
Speaker 1: Okay, but first we've got to define the security enclave, sometimes called the trust boundary. It's like drawing a line around the parts of your application that you're responsible for securing. Anything outside that line might have different security needs or be managed by someone else.
Speaker 2: Okay, establishing the defensive perimeter exactly. Now, about those threats. The FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center or IC three, they've seen a huge increase in Internet crime costs, going from five hundred and eighty one point four million dollars in twenty twelve to a whopping two point seven billion dollars in twenty eighteen. And you know, serverless applications, with all their moving parts and reliance on other services they could be attempting target.
Speaker 1: Those numbers are scary, So who are we up against? The book mentions script kitties, who are they? And should we be worried?
Speaker 2: Script kitties are individuals, usually with limited skills, who use pre made tools and scripts to launch attacks. They're mostly driven by curiosity, maybe a desire to cause little chaos. Think of them as like digital graffiti artists. Annoying but not super sophisticated, so.
Speaker 1: More of a nuisance than a serious threat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Generally, basic security hygiene like keeping your systems up to date and using firewalls can usually keep them away.
Speaker 1: Good to know. What about cybercriminals? They sound much more formidable they are.
Speaker 2: Cybercriminals are motivated by profit, plan and simple. They use malware, phishing, scams, social engineering, all kinds of tactics to steal data, compromise systems, basically make money.
Speaker 1: These are the pro the ones who really know what they're doing exactly.
Speaker 2: And they're constantly evolving. Defending against them takes a multi layered approach, strong authentication, intrusion detection systems, security audits, you name it. It's a constant battle.
Speaker 1: Sounds like we need to stay agile to stay ahead. The book also mentions activists, how are they different activists.
Speaker 2: Are groups sometimes individuals, driven by a cause or an ideology. They might target organizations or governments they don't agree with, to facing websites, leaking information, disrupting operations, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Hacking with a purpose. Their motives seem unpredictable, which makes them harder to anticipate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their motivations can make them tough to defend against. They might not care about financial loss or legal consequences. To mitigate this risk, you really need to understand their ideology who they might target.
Speaker 1: So we've got curious kids, criminals after money, and activists with an agenda. Is there anyone else lurking around that we need to worry about?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately? Yeah, yes, state sponsored attackers. These groups have backing from governments, and they often have significant resources and very advanced techniques. They might go after critical infrastructure, steal intellectual property, or conduct espionage.
Speaker 1: Wow, the heavy hitters of the cyber world.
Speaker 2: That's right. Defending against these guys takes proactive threat intelligence and advanced security measures. You've got to be one step ahead.
Speaker 1: Constantly monitoring the threat landscape, trying to anticipate their moves. Any other threats we need to consider don't forget.
Speaker 2: About insider threats. These can be current employees or even former employees, contractors, partners, anyone with legitimate access to your systems, but they misuse that access, either intentionally or unintentionally, like stealing data or accidentally leaking information.
Speaker 1: The wolf in sheep's clothing exactly.
Speaker 2: They often have a deep understanding of your systems in security, which makes them especially dangerous.
Speaker 1: This threat landscape is pretty intense. So where do we even begin to assess all these risks and feel a little overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: That's where a risk assessment comes in. It's a systematic way to identify potential threats, figure out how likely they are to happen and what their impact could be, and then come up with the right mitigation strategies.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're bringing some order to the chaos, prioritizing our efforts based on a clear understanding of the risks.
Speaker 2: Right. The book suggests using a risk assessment table. It's simple but effective. You list your assets, the threats they face, the likelihood of those threats actually happening, their impact, and what you can do to mitigate them.
Speaker 1: Can you give me a simplified example just to see this in action.
Speaker 2: Sure. Let's say one of your assets is accounts. One potential threat would be account hijacking, where someone gains unauthorized access to your cloud provider account. Now, thinking about how advanced cyber attacks are these days, we could say the likelihood of this happening is probable.
Speaker 1: And the impact if we've got strong security measures in place for our accounts, the impact could be minor.
Speaker 2: Right, But without those measures, the impact could be catastrophic. Imagine losing control of your entire cloud setup.
Speaker 1: I definitely don't want to think about that. So how do we mitigate that risk?
Speaker 2: The most effective mitigation would be multi factor authentication MFA. It adds an extra layer of security, making a lot harder for attackers to get in, even if they do manage to get your password.
Speaker 1: Right, MFA the security superhero.
Speaker 2: You got it? And you do this same process for each asset and each potential threat, building a complete picture of your risks. This lets you prioritize your security efforts effectively.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like how organized and visual that is. Now. The book also mentions a risk matrix. What is that exactly and how is it different from the risk assessment table?
Speaker 2: A risk matrix combines how likely a threat is to occur with its impact, and that gives you an overall risk level. So something that's unlikely but would be devastating if it did happen might still need your attention.
Speaker 1: So not just looking at the probability, but also the potential fallout. It's a more holistic approach.
Speaker 2: You got it. It's a powerful tool for making informed security decisions, helping prioritize your efforts based on a combination of factors. Okay, we've mapped out our application, We've identified the bad guys, we've assessed the risks. Where do we go from here on our serverlest security journey?
Speaker 1: Now it's time to dive into the code itself and secure the very heart of your serverless application.
Speaker 2: This is where it gets interesting. I know code is often where vulnerabilities hide. What's the first thing we need to think about when it comes to securing.
Speaker 1: Our code choosing the right run time engine and its version. That's the environment where your functions run. For instance, with AWS Lambda you have options like no JS, Python, Java, and so on.
Speaker 2: Wait, so the choice of environment affects security. I hadn't thought about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, it definitely does. Different runtime engines have different security profiles. Some are more mature with fewer known vulnerabilities, while others are newer and might still be a bit rough around the edges.
Speaker 2: So how do we pick the right one? From a security.
Speaker 1: Perspective, do your research? Websites like cve details keep track of common vulnerabilities and exposures known as cvees. You can search for a specific runtime engine and version and see its track record how many vulnerabilities have been reported, so it's like a security report card for different runtime engines.
Speaker 2: You could say that the book has a great suggestion use a bar chart to compare the number of cvees across different versions. This way you can quickly see which versions have a better security history.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've chosen our run time one with a clean bill of health, or as clean as we can find. What's next on our code security checklist?
Speaker 2: Now we dive into the sometimes complicated world of the dependency tree A. This is where things can get a little messed.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've got my attention. Tell me more about this dependency tree and why it's so important.
Speaker 2: Serverless apps, just like most software today, rely on external libraries and packages. These are pre built code modules that handle specific tasks, but these dependencies often have their own dependencies, creating a complex web of connections.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a tangled web, it can be.
Speaker 2: And the problem is vulnerabilities can be hidden deep within this tree of vulnerability and a seemingly small dependency can impact your entire application.
Speaker 1: Yikes, that's a little scary. So how do we untangle this mess and find those vulnerabilities before they cause trouble?
Speaker 2: Dependency tree tools are your friends. They can help you visualize and understand the relationships between your applications dependencies.
Speaker 1: So we can see the whole ecosystem and its potential weak points exactly well.
Speaker 2: For example, if you're working with NOJS, there's a tool called an vodka that creates a visual map of your dependency tree. Once you have that map, you can assess each package's security individually.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about picking a package that does the job, but also making sure it's secure absolutely.
Speaker 2: Look for packages that are well maintained, have a solid security track record, and ideally are actively supported by a large community.
Speaker 1: So looking for packages that are not just functional, but also have a good reputation for security.
Speaker 2: Right and remember, security is an ongoing effort. You need to keep your dependencies up to date and watch out for new vulnerabilities. Things are all always changing.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay, so we've picked a secure run time engine and we've vetted our dependencies. What else can we do to secure our code?
Speaker 2: Static code analysis is a must. It's where you use tools to scan your code for potential security flaws without actually running it.
Speaker 1: So like a spell checker for code catching mistakes that could lead to problems.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it. These tools can find things like buffer overflows, SEQL injection vulnerabilities, cross site scripting issues, and so on. There are tons of tools out there, some free, some paid. Pick one that works for you and make it part of your development process.
Speaker 1: Got it? Static code analysis? Check what's next?
Speaker 2: Unit tests and regression tests. Don't underestimate their importance.
Speaker 1: Testing testing, I know it's important, but why is it so crucial for security?
Speaker 2: Unit tests verify that individual parts of your code work as expected. But you can also use them to simulate attacks.
Speaker 1: Hold on, we can attack our own code? Sounds a little strange.
Speaker 2: You can, and you should. By simulating attacks like SEQL injection or cross eight scripting, you can see how your code handles it and make sure it can withstand those attacks.
Speaker 1: So finding the weaknesses in our defenses before the attackers do.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and regression tests make sure that any changes you make to your code don't accidentally introduce new security flaws.
Speaker 1: Right, making sure that fixing one thing doesn't break something else and open up a new vulnerability.
Speaker 2: You got it. By automating these tests, you're creating a safety net that catches security issues early in the development process.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. We've analyzed the code, We've tested it thoroughly. Anything else we need to consider when it comes to the code itself.
Speaker 2: Input validation is a big one. Serveralist functions are often triggered by different events, like an HTDP request or a file upload. You need to validate that the data coming in is what you're expecting.
Speaker 1: So don't just trust the data blindly.
Speaker 2: Right. Attackers can try to sneak malicious code in through those inputs. They might try to inject SQL into a database query or upload a file with a hidden and payload.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can see how that could be a problem. How do we validate these inputs and keep the bad stuff out?
Speaker 2: It depends on where the data is coming from. If it's an HTTP request, you can validate the body content, check for required fields, and make sure the data types match what you expect. For example, if you're expecting a number, verify that it is a number, not some text that could contain harmful code.
Speaker 1: So being cautious and double checking everything we receive exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book has some really clear code examples for different event sources like HTDP requests and S three that show how to do input validation the right way.
Speaker 1: Okay, input validation check. We've covered a lot choosing the right run time, assessing dependencies, static code analysis, testing, and input validation. It feels like we've built a pretty solid foundation for secure code.
Speaker 2: What's next Now, let's zom out from the code itself and look at the broader serverless environment. We need to talk about how to restrict permissions across your infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready to start locking things down. The book talks about least privilege. What does that mean for serverless?
Speaker 2: Least privilege means giving your users and services only the permissions they absolutely need, like giving someone the key to a specific room instead of a master key to the entire building.
Speaker 1: So compartmentalizing access, limiting the damage if something goes wrong exactly.
Speaker 2: In serverleists, this means carefully setting permissions for your functions, data stores, and other resources, give each component just enough access to do its job, nothing more.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense in theory, but how do we actually do this? It seems like it could get pretty complicated.
Speaker 2: It can be, but the good news is that cloud providers like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud offer very fine grained permission controls. Let's start with AWS. They use a system of users, groups, roles, and policies.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down for me. I know about users in groups, but what are roles in policies.
Speaker 2: Users are individual accounts like the ones your developers and admins use. Groups are collections of users who need similar permissions. Roles are sets of permissions that you can assign to users, groups, or even AWS services themselves.
Speaker 1: So roles are like templates for permissions, predefined sets that we can apply to different entities exactly.
Speaker 2: And policies are the rules that define what's allowed and what's not. They're written in JSON, which could be a bit intimidating at first, but it's actually quite logical once you get used to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm willing to give it a try. So how do we use all of this to put the principle of least privilege into practice.
Speaker 2: Let's say you have a Lambda function that needs to read data from a Dynamo dB table. You'd create a role just for that function, give it read access to only that specific Dynamo dB table, and deny access to everything else.
Speaker 1: So very specific, limited permissions tailored to that function's exact needs precisely.
Speaker 2: The book has a really clear example of how to create a policy for this scenario. It even shows you the JSON code and explains how to apply it to your Lambda function.
Speaker 1: That's helpful. What about Azure is their system similar.
Speaker 2: Azure also uses users, groups, and roles, but their permission documents are called role definitions. These role definitions outline what a user or group can do with a specific resource.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the principles are the same, just slightly different terminology.
Speaker 2: Right, And Azure also has managed identities for services. This means you don't have to directly manage credentials for your services. Azure takes care of that behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: That sounds like it could make things a lot easier.
Speaker 2: It Can and Google Cloud well, they have their own flavor of permission management called cloud iam. It's based on roles, members, policies, and scopes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so each provider has its own way of doing things, but the core idea of least privilege is the same.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and regardless of the platform. It's super important to review and update your permissions regularly.
Speaker 1: Why is that so important? I get setting things up correctly initially, but why revisit them later?
Speaker 2: Because things change, your application grows, you add new features, team members come and go. You need to make sure your permissions are always up to date and that nobody has access they don't need anymore.
Speaker 1: So permissions are not a one time thing. They need ongoing attention exactly.
Speaker 2: It's an essential part of keeping your serverlist environment secure.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay, so we've tackled rescripting permissions. What's next on our server list security checklist?
Speaker 2: Let's move on to account management. Your first line of defense makes sense.
Speaker 1: Secure the foundation before building on top of it.
Speaker 2: Right, every cloud provider has a master account, which is like having the keys to the kingdom. If that account is compromised, an attacker can do a lot of damage.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not good. How do we protect this master account and make sure those keys don't fall into the wrong hands.
Speaker 2: The book has some really good tips. First, don't use a personal email address for the master account. Use a dedicated service or group email address instead.
Speaker 1: That way, if someone leaves, we don't lose access.
Speaker 2: Right. Next, make sure you provide detailed contact information for the account. This helps the provider reach you quickly if there's any suspicious activity.
Speaker 1: Okay, be reachable just in case something happened.
Speaker 2: Right, And obviously, use a strong password for the master account. That means long, complex, unique, not use anywhere else.
Speaker 1: No password one, two three for the master account.
Speaker 2: Definitely not and super important. Enable multi factor authentication.
Speaker 1: We've talked about MFA a lot. It's like the gold standard of security, right.
Speaker 2: It's pretty close. Yeah. MFA makes it a lot harder for attackers to gain access even if they get hold of your password, because they need that second factor.
Speaker 1: Okay, MFA. Check any other best practices for securing the master account.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Make it a habit to review and update your security settings regularly. Don't get lazy and assume everything is fine. Stay on top of it.
Speaker 1: Proactive security hygiene.
Speaker 2: Exactly security is a journey, not a destination.
Speaker 1: I'm getting that message loud and clear. So we've locked down the master account. Anything else to consider when it comes to account management.
Speaker 2: Here's a pro tip. Use separate accounts for different environments like development, testing, and production.
Speaker 1: What's the advantage of doing that?
Speaker 2: It limits the damage. If one environment is compromised, it won't necessarily affect the others, like having firewalls between different sections of a building.
Speaker 1: So it's about isolating and containing any potential breaches exactly.
Speaker 2: And it can also help you manage permissions more effectively.
Speaker 1: Okay, separate accounts for different environmentst it. We've talked about account management. What's next in our serverlest security strategy.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about protecting secrets. This is where we get into safeguarding sensitive information.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's dive into the world of secrets. Why is protecting secrets so crucial in the serverless world.
Speaker 2: Secrets are like the crown jewels of your app, things like API keys, database credentials, encryption keys. If these are compromised, it could mean serious trouble. Attackers could get access to sensitive data, compromise your systems absolutely, and the first rule of secret protection is never hard code secrets directly into your code.
Speaker 1: Why is that so bad? It seems like the easiest way to do things.
Speaker 2: If your code has ever compromised, those hard coded secrets are out in the open for anyone to see. Plus, it makes it much harder to rotate secrets, which is a security best practice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no hard coding secrets, got it? What are the alternatives? How do we manage these secrets securely?
Speaker 2: Cloud providers offer secure secret management services? For example, AWS has Systems Manager Parameter Store or SSM and Key Management Service KMS.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are some mouthful acronyms. Tell me more about how they work and how they can help us keep our secrets safe.
Speaker 2: Think of SSM as a secure vault. You can store secrets there either as plain text or encrypted values, and you control access using those im policies we talked about earlier. So, for example, let's say you have an apikey that your function needs. Instead of hard coding it, you store it an SSM and retrieve it when your function runs.
Speaker 1: So the secret stays outside the code, making it much harder for attackers to get to it.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and CAMTS adds another layer of protection. You can use it to encrypt and decrypt those secrets, and even use it with SSM to encrypt the secrets you.
Speaker 1: Store there double the protection. What about other cloud providers do they have similar services?
Speaker 2: They do. Azure has key vault and Google Cloud has Secret Manager. They both offer similar features for securely storing and managing secrets.
Speaker 1: Okay, so regardless of which platform we're using, there are secure ways to handle those secrets. But how do we choose the right approach? There are a few options.
Speaker 2: It depends on your needs and how sensive your secrets are. For example, if you need to change your secrets often, SSM might be a good choice. If you're working with really sensitive data, encrypting your secrets with KMS might be the best approach.
Speaker 1: So it's about figuring out the risks and picking the best tool for the job.
Speaker 2: You got it, And just like with permissions, secret management is an ongoing thing. Check your secrets regularly, rotate them when needed, and make sure only those who absolutely need access can get to them.
Speaker 1: Got it, So secure the code, lock down the secrets. What's the next step in building our serverless security? Fortress?
Speaker 2: Authentication and authorization? The gatekeepers of your application.
Speaker 1: Okay, bring on the gatekeepers. Can you remind me what the difference is between authentication and authorization? I always get those mixed up.
Speaker 2: Of course, authentication is proving who you are, like showing your idea. Authorization is about what you're allowed to do once you're in, like having different levels of access into building.
Speaker 1: Okay, So authentication confirms your identity and authorization determines your access privileges.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and in serverless there are a few different ways to handle authentication.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about those. The book mentions the classic username and password approach. How does that work with serverless?
Speaker 2: The basics are the same as with traditional applications. The user enters their credentials and the system checks them against a database of valid users. But there are some important security things could consider. You need to make sure those passwords are hashed securely and stored safely, ideally using a strong algorithm and something called salting.
Speaker 1: So even if the database is compromised, the passwords themselves are protected.
Speaker 2: Right. It's also good to have things like rate limiting and account lockout to prevent brute force attacks.
Speaker 1: So we're limiting how many times someone can try to log in and making it harder to guess passwords exactly.
Speaker 2: But the username and password approach has some limitations, especially these days. Oh it can be a pain for users, especially on mobile, and it's not ideal for communication between machines, which happens a lot and serverless.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are the alternatives when username and password isn't the best choice.
Speaker 2: Apikeys are often used for machine to machine communication. They're basically long unique passwords that identify as specific application or service.
Speaker 1: So machines can authenticate themselves without a human typing and a password.
Speaker 2: Right. But API keys can be risky if they're not handled properly. Static keys, the ones that never change, are particularly vulnerable. If an attacker gets a static key, they basically have access forever.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a nightmare. So how do we avoid that?
Speaker 2: Rotate your apikeys regularly and store them securely. Those secret management services we talked about earlier could be really helpful for this.
Speaker 1: Okay. Apikes are good for machine communication, but we need to protect them just like any other sensitive information. What other options are there for authentication?
Speaker 2: Jason Web tokens or JWTs are a great tool for authorization.
Speaker 1: I've heard of those. They're like digital passports.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: JWT is a digitally signed token that contains info about a user, like their ID and.
Speaker 1: Permissions and what makes them secure.
Speaker 2: They're digitally signed. This makes sure nobody has tampered with the information in the token.
Speaker 1: Okay, like a tamper proof seal of authenticity. How do they actually work?
Speaker 2: When a user logs in successfully, maybe using a username and password, the system gives them a JWT. They can then use this token to access protected resources, so.
Speaker 1: It's proof of identity and access privileges all in one exactly.
Speaker 2: And JWTs can be used with different authentication methods like using impact this word, API keys and even social logins.
Speaker 1: The prety flexible they are, and.
Speaker 2: They're becoming more and more popular in the serverless world.
Speaker 1: Okay, JWT's got it. What else is out there? We've covered quite a few methods already both.
Speaker 2: Two point zero is a really common standard for what's called delegated authorization.
Speaker 1: Delegated authorization that sounds complicated. Can you explain it simply?
Speaker 2: It's not as complex as it sounds. Imagine you want to use your Google account to log into another app. You don't have to give that app your Google password. Instead, Google gives them a token that lets them access your account, but only to the extent that you've approved.
Speaker 1: So you're giving the app permission to act on your behalf, but without sharing your actual password exactly.
Speaker 2: O WOOF is perfect for things like social logins or connecting to third party services.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to see how all these pieces fit together. Anything else to keep in mind about OATH.
Speaker 2: It's important that those tokens expire. You don't want an app to have permit access to your account.
Speaker 1: Right That would defeat the purpose exactly.
Speaker 2: And always double check what permissions giving an app before you allow access. Don't just click allow without thinking.
Speaker 1: So be aware and careful about what we're authorizing. What other authentication methods are out there?
Speaker 2: Open Idconnect or ODC is built on top of o OOTH two point zero and adds another authentication layer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's different about OIDC? What does it add?
Speaker 2: It gives you a standardized way to check a user's identity and get basic profile information. It's like a more robust version of OTH often used for a single sign on, where you use one set of credentials to access multiple apps.
Speaker 1: That sounds convenient and potentially more secure.
Speaker 2: It can be, but it's important to pick a trustworthy identity provider and make sure those access tokens have an expiration.
Speaker 1: Date so the same precautions apply. Choose wisely and limit those token life spans. What else?
Speaker 2: Finally, there's SAML, which stands for Security Assertion Markup Language. It's a standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between different systems using XML.
Speaker 1: Another acronym for the list. What's SAML all about.
Speaker 2: It's commonly used in enterprise environments for things like single sign on and managing identities across different systems.
Speaker 1: So a more enterprise focused approach. Got it. We've explored a whole range of authentication and authorization methods, from the simple username and password to the more advanced JWTs in oath. How do we actually put all of this into practice in our serverless apps?
Speaker 2: It really depends on the platform you're using and what your application needs.
Speaker 1: Can you give me some platform specific examples?
Speaker 2: Sure? For AWSAPI Gateway, you can use resource policies to control who can access your APIs. You can create whitelists that only allow specific AWS accounts, IP addresses or even vpcs.
Speaker 1: So we can really lock down who's allowed to call our APIs. What other options are there? In AWS?
Speaker 2: You can also use AWS land authorizers for custom authentication and authorization logic, so.
Speaker 1: More flexibility for complex scenarios where the standard approaches aren't enough exactly.
Speaker 2: And AWS Cognito is a fully managed service that handles user authentication and authorization. It works really well with other AWS services and can take care of a lot of the hard work for you.
Speaker 1: Sounds like AWS gives you a lot of options for managing authentication and authorization they do.
Speaker 2: Now moving on to Azure, you can use app service authentication to secure your function apps. You could choose from different identity providers like az your active directory, Facebook, Google and more.
Speaker 1: So with Azure we have a lot of choices for how users log in exactly.
Speaker 2: And you can control the security even more by setting different authorization levels for your functions. You can allow anyone to access them or only admin users or anything in.
Speaker 1: Between, so we can customize the security based on what each function does.
Speaker 2: Right, and Azure API Management gives you a central place to control access to your APIs. You can do things like rate limiting validating databts, blocking access by IP address, all kinds of.
Speaker 1: Stuff, like a security checkpoint for all of our APIs, making sure only the right requests get through.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. Lastly, let's look at Google Cloud. They offer cloud endpoints to secure cloud functions. It acts as a gateway sitting in front of your functions and handles authentication, authorization, and a bunch of other API management features.
Speaker 1: So another way to manage access to our serverlest functions. Anything else? Google Cloud offers for authentication and authorization.
Speaker 2: Yes, they have Identity Platform for user authentication and Firebase which gives you even more flexibility with authentication and authorization.
Speaker 1: Okay, so plenty of options across all the major cloud platforms. It seems like we have the tools we.
Speaker 2: Need we do. The trick is to choose the approach that best fits your application and your security needs. There's no one size fits all solution.
Speaker 1: Okay, so far we've talked about securing the code, managing secrets, and implementing authentication and authorization. What's the next step in securing our serverlest applications?
Speaker 2: Now we focus on the data itself, protecting that sensitive information that attackers are often after data protection.
Speaker 1: This is the heart of what we're trying to protect. The book mentions the a lost top ten risks, including sensitive data exposure. What exactly is that?
Speaker 2: Sensitive data exposure is a really common and potentially really damaging security risk. It's when sensitive information, things like personally identifiable information PII, credit card numbers, or passwords, gets leaked, either accidentally or intentionally.
Speaker 1: It's like leaving the vault door wide open.
Speaker 2: Good analogy. Yeah, and it can happen in lots of ways, like insecure coding, misconfigured servers, or even lost or stolen devices.
Speaker 1: A breach like that could be disastrous.
Speaker 2: Data breaches can cost a company a lot of money, damage their reputation, and even lead to legal problems.
Speaker 1: So data protection is not something we can mess around with. What are the key things we need to keep in mind to protect sensitive data properly?
Speaker 2: First, never just assume the default settings are secure enough. Cloud providers have lots of services with default configurations that might not be the most secure. Always take the time to review and change those defaults to fit your security needs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so don't just trust the defaults, take control and customize the settings exactly.
Speaker 2: Encryption is also critical. You want to encrypt sensitive data, whether it's being stored or transmitted. That means encrypting data in databases, object storage, log files, everything, and it means using HTTPS for all communication.
Speaker 1: So we need to protect the data both when it's sitting there and when it's moving between systems.
Speaker 2: Right. Another important principle is data lifetime. Don't keep sensitive data longer than you need it.
Speaker 1: It seems weird to delete data, especially in today's world. Why is that so important.
Speaker 2: Longer you keep data, the more chance there is of it being exposed if you don't need it anymore. Get rid of it, deleted or archive it securely. Less data, less.
Speaker 1: Risk, out of sight, out of mind, and out of reach.
Speaker 2: Of attackers exactly. Other things to think about include logging, software updates, and security scanning.
Speaker 1: So it's about using a variety of strategies and best practices to make sure we're covering all our bases.
Speaker 2: You got it. The book goes into detail about how to secure a specific cloud services like AWSS three, Dynamo, dB as, your blob storage, Cosmos, DV, and others. It emphasizes things like changing the default settings, enabling encryption, and managing access controls.
Speaker 1: So we can't just know these principles generally, we need to apply them to each specific service absolutely.
Speaker 2: And remember this isn't a one time thing. You need to stay on top of it, change your strategies as needed, and always be evaluating how secure your systems are.
Speaker 1: Okay, data protection, check what's next on our Serverleist's security to do list.
Speaker 2: Now we move on to monitoring, auditing, and alerting. These are like the eyes, ears, and voice of your security system.
Speaker 1: So these components help us stay aware of what's happening and respond to issues quickly. Why are they so crucial in a serverlest environment?
Speaker 2: Serverless apps are constantly changing and they're often spread across lots of different services. You need a way to keep track of everything that's happening, spot potential threats in real time, and react fast as.
Speaker 1: Something goes wrong, like a central command center for security exactly.
Speaker 2: First, let's talk about monitoring. What are the key things we need to watch in serverlests?
Speaker 1: You mentioned resource utilization before. What else should we be paying attention to?
Speaker 2: That's right, Resource utilization is important. Track how much CPU, memory and storage your functions are using. This can help you find performance issues that could become security problems.
Speaker 1: So we can see if our systems are being overloaded, which might make them vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Right. Another important metric is function performance. Look at things like execution time and latency. Make sure your functions are running quickly and efficiently.
Speaker 1: Okay, make sure everything is running smoothly anything else err rates.
Speaker 2: You need to know how often your functions are failing and why. That way you can fix problems and stop them from happening again.
Speaker 1: So troubleshooting and preventing those.
Speaker 2: Errors right, and don't forget to monitor costs. Serverleists can save you money, but it's also easy to spend more than you planned if you're not careful.
Speaker 1: So keep an eye on the budget and make sure our servilist appointments stay affordable.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Each cloud provider has tools from monitoring all of this stuff. Aws has Cloud watch as Azure Monitor, and Google Cloud has Cloud Monitoring.
Speaker 1: Great, so we have the tools to collect all this data, but how do we make sense of it all? It seems like it could get pretty overwhelming.
Speaker 2: That's where dashboards and visualizations come in. They help you see trends, spot unusual activity, and get a good overall view of your system's.
Speaker 1: Health, so we can see the big picture without getting lost in all the little details exactly.
Speaker 2: But remember monitoring is only the first step. You also need to be able to audit your system and find potential security problems that you might not see just from monitoring.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's involved in auditing.
Speaker 2: Auditing is about keeping track of everything that's happening, things like configuration changes, user activity, and other events that could be relevant to security.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a detailed log of all the activity in our serverleist environment.
Speaker 2: You got it. You need to know who made what changes, when they made them, and what those changes were.
Speaker 1: So we can spot suspicious behavior and track down the source of problems exactly.
Speaker 2: Cloud providers have specific tools for auditing too. AWS has Cloud Trail, Azure has activity log, and Google Cloud has cloud audit logs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we have the tools to monitor and audit our environment. But how do we know when something goes wrong? How do we get alerted?
Speaker 2: That's where alerting comes in. It's all about getting notified when something needs your attention. It could be a lot of errors happening, strained user activity, or someone changing in important security setting.
Speaker 1: So our early warning system letting us know when we need to investigate and take action.
Speaker 2: Right, you can set up alerts based on the things you're monitoring and the events you're auditing.
Speaker 1: Can you give me some examples of the kinds of alerts we might want to set up?
Speaker 2: Sure, you might want to get an alert if your function has a high error rate, someone try to access something they shouldn't, or if someone changes a key security.
Speaker 1: Setting, so anything that could be a security risk or a performance problem.
Speaker 2: Right, And you can choose different ways to get those alerts depending on how and it is. Email might be fine for minor things, but you might want text messages or even phone calls for serious problems.
Speaker 1: So we can escalate alerts based on how serious they are.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The goal of alerting isn't to overwhelm you with notifications, but to give you useful information that helps you keep your serverless environment secure and reliable.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered securing the code, restricting permissions, managing accounts, protecting secrets, authentication and authorization, data protection, and setting up monitoring, auditing and alerting. Is there anything else we should consider? Anything we can do to make our serverless environments even more secure?
Speaker 2: There are a few more things that can make a big difference in how secure your serverless setup is.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm all yours. What else can we do to improve our security?
Speaker 2: Let's start with continuous integration and continuous delivery or CICD.
Speaker 1: I know about CICD, but isn't that more of a developer thing. How does it relate to security?
Speaker 2: You're right. CD is mostly used by developers, but it can have a huge impact on secureecurity. It automates the process of building, testing, and deploying code. If you add security checks into your CICD pipeline, you can find vulnerabilities early on before they ever go live.
Speaker 1: So baking security right into the development process exactly.
Speaker 2: You can automate things like static code analysis, checking for vulnerable dependencies, and even security testing.
Speaker 1: So all those security checks we talked about, we can make them part of the development workflow automatically.
Speaker 2: Right. That way, you're not relying on developers to remember to do those checks. It's much more reliable and consistent.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. What about source control? It's how we manage our code, but how does it fit into the security picture?
Speaker 2: Source control is important for collaboration, but it can also be a security risk if it's not secure.
Speaker 1: I hadn't thought about that. What do we need to do to secure our source control systems?
Speaker 2: First? Limit access to your code repositories to authorized users only strong passwords, MFA, least privilege, all the things we've talked about.
Speaker 1: Lock it down, make sure only the right people can.
Speaker 2: See the code right and be careful what you commit to source control. Don't put sensitive information in there like apikeys or credentials. Use those secret management services instead, So.
Speaker 1: Keep secrets out of the code base exactly.
Speaker 2: It's also a good idea to double check your commit history for anything that shouldn't be there. There are tools like get secrets that can help you scan for sensitive information.
Speaker 1: Think before you commit and make sure no secrets have slipped.
Speaker 2: In you got it. Another thing to watch out for is serveralist framework plugins. Plugins can add a lot of functionality, but they can also create security risks if you're not careful.
Speaker 1: It seems like anything new we add to our environment could bring new security risks. Dependencies, plugins, features, everything.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. You need to be aware of the risks and take steps to mitigate them.
Speaker 1: So how do we approach plugins from a security.
Speaker 2: Perspective, if you can look at the plugins code before you use it. A lot of them are open source, so you can see exactly what they're doing. Look for potential price problems, like the use of unsafe functions or the possibility of code injection.
Speaker 1: So we're doing a mini security audit of the plug in itself.
Speaker 2: Right. If you're not comfortable looking at code, make sure you choose plugins from trusted sources and that they have a good reputation. See what other developers are saying and if anyone has reported security.
Speaker 1: Issues, so do our research. Choose carefully, and don't just install plugins without thinking.
Speaker 2: Right, And like everything else we've talked about, be mindful of the permissions you give those plugins. Lea's privilege applied here too. Only give them access to what they absolutely need.
Speaker 1: Treat plugins with the same caution as any other part of our serverlest environment exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, let's switch gears and talk about function optimization.
Speaker 1: Function optimization, I thought we were focused on security. Isn't that more about performance?
Speaker 2: Not always? Optimizing your functions can make them more secure?
Speaker 1: Really, I'm not sure I get it. How does making our functions run faster make them more secure?
Speaker 2: It reduces their attack surface.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's an attack surface?
Speaker 2: It's basically all the ways an attacker could interact with your application and exploit vulnerabilities. When you optimize your functions, you're cleaning up your code, getting rid of unnecessary dependencies, and making them run faster. This makes it harder for attackers to find and exploit weaknesses.
Speaker 1: So a more efficient function is a more secure function exactly.
Speaker 2: And there are a bunch of ways to optimize your functions, like One way is to keep each function focused on one specific task. Small focus functions are easier to understand, test, and secure.
Speaker 1: Break down big tasks into smaller, more manageable pieces.
Speaker 2: Right. Also, make sure you're using the right amount of resources for each function. Using too many resources can cost you more money and make you a bigger target.
Speaker 1: So right sizing those resources for efficiency and security.
Speaker 2: You got it. You can also use packaging tools to make your function deployment packages smaller. Smaller packages deploy faster and give attackers less code to look at.
Speaker 1: So function optimization makes our code faster, sure, more efficient, and more secure precisely.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk about a really useful tool for proactive security thinking. Fault trees fault trees.
Speaker 1: That sounds a little intimidating.
Speaker 2: They're not as complicated as they sound. A fault tree is a diagram that shows you all the ways something could go wrong and what might cause those problems.
Speaker 1: So we're making a map of everything that could potentially break exactly.
Speaker 2: And by creating a fault tree, you can spot security vulnerabilities before they happen and figure out how to stop them.
Speaker 1: Can you give me an example of how we might use this for serverless sure?
Speaker 2: Imagine you have a function that uses a third party API. What if that API stops working or start sending bad data. If you think through those scenarios and draw them out in a faull tree, you can come up with backup plans like fallback mechanisms or data validation checks.
Speaker 1: So we're planning for the worst and having a plan be exactly.
Speaker 2: Fall trees can help you analyze all kinds of security threats, not just problems with APIs. You can use them to look at insider threats, natural disasters, even simple coding mistakes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so fault trees help us think like attackers, find potential problems, and build more resilient systems.
Speaker 2: You got it. That kind of proactive thinking is really important for security.
Speaker 1: This has been really eye opening. We've gone through a lot, from the code itself to managing accounts and protecting those super important secrets. We even talked about different ways to handle authentication and authorization, how to keep data safe, and the importance of monitoring, auditing and alerting. And then we added on things like CICD source control plugins, optimizing those functions and even those fault trees.
Speaker 2: It's been a lot, that's for sure, But the main point is serveralist security is never truly finished. You're always working on it. But if you understand the basics of follow the best practices we've talked about, you can build secure and reliable applications that can stand up to those ever evolving threats.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we wrap up completely, let's just quickly go over the main points again. We started by talking about really understanding the application when we're trying to secure it's architecture, it's code, and the threat it might face. Right.
Speaker 2: We also learned how to figure out and assess those risks using a risk assessment table and a risk matrix, thinking about how likely each threat is and how bad it would be if it happened.
Speaker 1: Then we dug into the details of securing the code, starting with picking a safe runtime engine and making sure we're using the right version.
Speaker 2: And we talked about carefully checking those dependencies, using static code analysis to find common vulnerabilities, and doing thorough testing to make sure our code is strong.
Speaker 1: Input validation was a big one, making sure we don't just assume the data we get as safe and taking steps to block bad data absolutely.
Speaker 2: We talked about restricting permissions using least privilege, making sure users and services only have access to what they absolutely need. We also talked about securing those master accounts, the ones that control everything.
Speaker 1: Protecting secrets was crucial, making sure things like API keys and database credentials are never hard coded and are always stored securely.
Speaker 2: We also went through authentication and authorization, looking at the different ways we can control who gets into our applications and what they can do once they're in there.
Speaker 1: Data protection was key too, remembering to encrypt sensitive data whether it's stored or being transmitted, managing how long we keep data, and never just trusting the default settings.
Speaker 2: And finally we talked about monitoring, auditing, and alerting, setting up those systems to watch our serverleist environment, detect threats and let us know if something goes wrong.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is a lot of stuff. I feel like I know so much more about servileist security now me too.
Speaker 2: And don't forget security isn't a one person job. It takes a whole team developers, security experts, operations people.
Speaker 1: Everyone working together keymwork makes the dream work. As they say. Okay, before we finish up this episode, I wanted to touch on the last part of the book, finalizing the risk assessment. It seems like a good way to tie everything together.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, it reminds us that risk assessment is not something you do just once. It's a process you need to keep revisiting as your application changes, new threats appear, and your business needs evolve.
Speaker 1: So staying fleck and adapting to the changing security landscape. What are the main steps involved in finalizing a risk assessment?
Speaker 2: First, you need to gather all the information you've collected from all the different things we've talked about, reviewing documentation, analyzing code, security scans, talking to people who know the application and its risks.
Speaker 1: So bringing together all the intelligence we've gathered exactly.
Speaker 2: Then you need to score each finding based on how serious it is and what could happen to your business if it became a real.
Speaker 1: Problem, prioritizing based on how bad things could get.
Speaker 2: Right, But it's not just about how technically serious a risk is. You also need to figure out the potential impact on the business. What would happen if this risk actually became a problem.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, We need to translate those technical details into real world consequences that business people can understand.
Speaker 2: You got it. For example, you might say that a specific vulnerability could lead to a data breach that would cost the company millions of dollars in fines or lost business, or it could really hurt the company's reputation and make customers lose trust.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we're talking their language. So we've collected our findings, scored them, and assess their impact on the business. What's next?
Speaker 2: Now it's time to make some decisions. You work with everyone involved to decide which risks to address, which ones you can live with, and how to use your resources to deal with those risks effectively.
Speaker 1: So it's about balancing different factors like severity, impact, what's practical, and of course.
Speaker 2: The budget right and you need to think about how much it costs to fix a problem versus how much it would cost if the problem actually happened. Sometimes it might be better to accept a certain amount of risk than to spent a ton of money trying to completely eliminate it.
Speaker 1: So weigh the options and make smart decisions based on the organization's overall tolerance for risk.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The goal is to come up with a plan that finds the right balance between security and what the business needs.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. Security isn't about getting rid of all risk, It's about managing it in a smart way.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have set it better myself. And remember, risk assessment never really ends. You need to revisit it as things change.
Speaker 1: Okay, stay aware, adapt keep learning. Well said, Well, we've reached the end of our deep dive into serverleist security. It's been a long journey, but I feel like I've learned a lot of valuable information that I can use in my own work.
Speaker 2: Me too. I hope everyone listening feels ready to tackle the challenges of securing serverlest applications and building more resilient and secure systems.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and as we finish up, I want to encourage everyone to always think about security first, be curious, and never stop learning. Serverlest is always evolving, and so are the threats. If we stay informed and proactive, we can build a more secure digital future for everyone.
Speaker 2: I agree, and remember you don't have to do this alone. There's a whole community of security experts and developers out there. We're passionate about servilist security. Don't be afraid to ask questions and share what you know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, sharing knowledge and working together is how we stay ahead of the game. You're joining us for this deep dive into serverlest security. Until next time, stay secure.